2. Pets
  3. Dog Treats

3.9/5 (231 ratings)
Shop Now on Chewy

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

About Greenies

Feed your dog fresh food

Get 50% off your first order on Nom Nom Now. Restrictions Apply!

Learn more

Greenies Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Greenies?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Greenies?

Original review: Jan. 8, 2021

Our 6 lb pomchi and 11 lb are both sick after just 1 serving. Gave it to them yesterday noon and next day the Pomchi hasn’t eaten all day, you can hear her stomach is upset and she has been lethargic and sleeping whole time. The pomeranian ate today but has constant diarrhea and his stomach is churning. These dogs are both 3 yrs old and rarely have dietary issues. The Greenies are in the garbage where they belong.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2020

This happened a couple of years ago but at the time I didn't write a review: I purchased Greenies off of Amazon because I wanted to be a better dog mom and take care of my corgi/ dachshund mixes bad breath and dental care. I never paid attention to my dog's stools as we had a large forested yard and because he is a private sort of fellow. However...maybe 3 or 4 days in after starting giving him Greenies I came home from work and... my dog did not meet me at the door. Instead I called out to him and he slowly and shakily made his way from another room. I knew he was sick. I picked him up... he yelped. He whimpered. Completely lethargic.

I took him to the vet the next morning realizing that he was yelping in his sleep and that he was not getting better. The vet put him on fluids. And took x-rays saying there was an obstruction/ blockage. Though they wanted to operate we waited a day and x-rated again. The blockage had moved/ was smaller. The only thing that had changed was the Greenies in his diets. I looked up reviews and found this website.

They cleared him to come home. Vet bill over 1500 dollars and no surgery. I kid you not; I nursed my dog back to health for over a month before he was his old self again. He couldn't poop. He would try for 15 minutes at a time straining. He remained lethargic. He couldn't run. He could barely stand. He just shakily made his way everywhere.

I force-fed him pumpkin and coconut oil and yogurt to get him to poop. I forced him to drink water by taking him in the shower with me - it made him have to lick the droplets off of his face. My entire family was certain he was going to die... and then weeks later maybe even two months... he was recognizable as he had been. My best friend was so close to dying. Why is there not a class-action lawsuit against this company?

Original review: Nov. 12, 2020

The diarrhea began when I starting giving Greenies to my 10 pound, Chinese Crested. Greenies are the only thing that changed in her diet so I'm positive the Greenies caused her diarrhea. It took me over 2 weeks to finally get rid of her diarrhea and to finally get a solid stool. Once the diarrhea started, I immediately stop giving her Greenie. I started feeding her 93% lean turkey (cooked and then rinsed), frozen and thawed green peas, 1 tsp, 100% pure pumpkin (must be 100%, pure pumpkin) and 1/2 tsp slippery elm. I mixed all ingredients together and fed her this diet 2 x day for 2 - 3 weeks. Once she was on this special diet for 3 days, I began adding a very small amount of Purina Pro Plan For Sensitive Stomachs to her turkey, peas, pumpkin and slippery elm on the 4th day..

Finally after close to 3 weeks, I was no longer giving her the turkey and peas. I continued giving her slippery elm for about another week, gradually reducing the amount I was giving her every day. Once diarrhea is under control, stop giving slippery elm. I still give her pumpkin every day which is a good sources of nutrients and fiber. 100% pure pumpkin will forever be a part of her daily diet. Just a side note on what slippery is used to treat: In the gastrointestinal tract, slippery elm acts directly.

Think of it as a natural ** (** itself should be used with caution because it contains salicylate, a.k.a. ** and should be used only in moderation for a day or two). Slippery elm’s mucilage content coats, soothes, and lubricates the mucus membranes lining the digestive tract. It is high in fiber, and so helps normalize intestinal action; it can be used to relieve both diarrhea and constipation. The diarrhea has been a real pain and took a while to to finally get it under control. Patience is definitely required. Glad to say, my dog is now doing great, no more diarrhea and NO MORE GREENIES.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2020

I have given my dog Greenies for years and really didn’t notice any adverse effects till a couple of months ago. The first sign of trouble was when he had diarrhea in the house, he never has done this before. This persisted for a few days so I took him to my veterinarian and he was placed on an antibiotic and I gave him boiled chicken and rice till his tummy settled, no treats. Fast forward one week I start to give him his regular food and a few treats...no greenies, all is well.

First day he gets a greenie and that night the diarrhea starts again, now with blood and mucous. Back to chicken rice and no treats. Good again till two weeks later gets his first greenie and it starts again. I thought maybe he had just developed an intolerance to them so knowing my brothers dog also liked greenies Gave them to him with the information about the trouble my dog had. First night his dog has diarrhea with mucous. I will never give my pets any greenie products again. I think there must be a quality control issue with the company, hope they get this resolved before something much worse happens to someone’s beloved pet.

Original review: June 16, 2020

We got the Greenies dental chews for our dog - staffy x. After the first stick, he developed very loose bowels, and after the second - he went to the toilet three times inside (which he never does) with some blood seen in the stools. His stomach is very distended and he has been laying down looking like he is in constant pain. Nothing else has changed - apart from these green nasties! DO NOT BUY, this product should be taken off the market!

Original review: May 25, 2020

My one and a half year old Golden Retriever has been having bouts of severe diarrhea off and on for around 6 months. I’ve had her to the vet several times, told the vet exactly what I feed her and she was stumped, with tests being negative and exam normal. Was told to put her on Hills Science Diet I/D. My sweet girl has been on this diet several times. Diarrhea would stop, I’d then go back to her premium food for dinner and a Greenies for lunch, and the diarrhea would start again in 1-2 days. Yesterday, the diarrhea was worse than ever! Never did I suspect her being ill was due to the Greenies. After reading your reviews, I realized my poor girl is suffering from being fed a bone I thought was healthy. I’m deeply saddened to learn of several of you losing your pets to this highly toxic treat.

In retrospect, thanks to all of you, I now know why my other dear Golden (she passed a year ago) was in distress when on medication. She refused Greenies Dental Chews, but liked having her meds in a pill pocket (made by the same company). Her lethargy, bloating and moaning could’ve been avoided had the vet told me about the serious and/or fatal effects of pill pockets. Perhaps we can get these products off the market eventually by getting our vets to listen to us and take us seriously. In the meantime, may our experiences save a cat or dog’s life, I know I’m extremely indebted to all of you for saving my precious girl. Thank you!

Original review: April 14, 2020

I purchased a bag of Greenies for my German Shepherd. I gave him a sample from the vets office after he’d had his teeth cleaned; he was only about 5 years old. One night I gave him a full size large breed chew- he wolfs everything down - and the next night he started looking a little too round in his abdomen. I’d only seen this once before and I was helpless to do anything but not for lack of trying. Living 20 minutes from vet’s office and the time it would take to get the vet to her office, my dog started whining and crying. It seemed like a long time; I frantically tried everything to reverse his decline even pouring ** down his throat. In the end, all I could do was cry and hold him. I’m crying as I write this despite this having happened nearly a year ago. Use this product at your own peril. I cannot convey the extent of my emotional pain and the anger I have towards this company.

Original review: March 21, 2020

This is a painful confession, but mostly a warning for all cat lovers. I believe this product played a big part in Tomasina's health decline. Here's why. She's been tossing up her food for months. She'd have bad days and then a few good days where she would play like a kitten. Recently, my sister fed our cats the 4 days I was in SD. Tomasina didn't "toss" once. Yet, when I returned she was increasingly sick until the day I called the vet and had her euthanized. She was emaciated, hollow-eyed and losing coordination.

It was nagging at my brain so I couldn't sleep last night and began looking up reviews on "hairball control" Greenies. What I found was a lengthy story by another cat owner nearly identical to mine. A cat that reacted to the treat like a crack addict and wouldn't eat anything else, but began "tossing up" on a daily basis. The difference is that he figured it out in time. It explains why Tomasina had good days. Those were the times we ran out of her favorite treats. She was 15. I believe I failed her. (It goes without saying that Greenies has a part in it, too). If this spares even one cat owner this remorse, it's worth the confession. Please pass this on to other cat lovers.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2020

Upon starting a 2nd bag of Greenies, the other morning my Cavalier woke me up to go outside. I had been giving her 1 each night before bedtime. She had horrific diarrhea at least 3x at 2:00 AM, 4:00 AM and again around 6:30. Each time it was very bad and sometimes bloody. At first I thought she had gotten into some cardboard, but when it happened a 2nd night after giving her one, I realized it was the Greenies. Got on the internet and read horrible stories about other dogs getting sick from them as well, including 13 dogs that had intestinal blockage and died. Threw them in the garbage today. No more greenies for my dog. They should be taken off the market.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

I bought the assortment box 2 months ago for my cat. She was 17 months old at the time. I have a brush and paste I use but wanted some extra protection for her teeth. Turns out she loved them. She gets the recommended amount daily for her size. She expects them after meals now. They have even seemed to increase her appetite by 33%. Good product, made in the USA and not loaded with the trash many cat treats have. The only way your cat will benefit from them is if they chew them. Swallowing whole would defeat the purpose. Your cat should be a year old prior to starting them on Greenies.

Greenies Company Information