Frontline

Compare Pet Care Companies

Research top Pet Care Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I purchased this product and expected it to work. When I call asking for refund due to the lack of the product working, they would not refund unless I had purchased from a vet. Since I purchased from Walmart then the satisfaction guarantee did not apply. However if I had used all the product for 3 months I might have qualified for a refund. In the meantime my poor dog suffers with fleas all over his face as well as the rest of his body after using this product. The representative stated that the product helped control the home more than keeping the fleas off the dog. What a scam...

Bought Frontline from Pets at Home for my cat and dog. Within hours after treatment our healthy cat was vomiting. 2 weeks after the first treatment our healthy cat started to become lethargic and wouldn't eat much, even her favourite treats didn't perk her up. As we were going to bed our cat was at the top of the stairs convulsion. Within minutes she was dead. We gave our healthy strong Newfoundland the same treatment at the same time and she became very lethargic, no spring in her step, marked reducement in her appetite within a day. We never thought anything of it as thought that she might have just picked up a bug.

She started to pick up after 3 weeks and started eat and find her spark again. Then we gave her the second dose a month after the first and the cycle began again. Once again, within 24 hrs no eating, lethargic, no barking at people or dogs passing our property, no excitement when we would return home. We put 2 and 2 together and could only come up with the conclusion that it was Frontline that caused the death of our healthy cat and the symptoms our beautiful dog has been through. My advice would be to not use this product and speak to your vet beforehand. Wish I had read this before I purchased Frontline as I would have went for an alternative product.

I have been using Frontline for 5 months for my two cats. For the first two months it seemed to work and I could not find any more definite signs of fleas. I interrupted the treatment for only one month and the fleas came back. I restarted it for the next three consecutive months and the flea issue actually progressed instead of diminishing. I got on the phone with Frontline. Because I made all of my purchases at the vet's office, they qualified me for "a customer satisfaction" program. I opted to have an exterminator come to my apartment as the flea situation got out of control (in spite of constant vacuuming and washing sheets and clothes in hot water). Currently, I haven't been able to live inside of my house for a week because the fleas get on me and they bite. I have bathed my cats and I gave them to a friend until my place is taken care of. My feet are covered in bites.

In processing my case, Frontline customer service was terrible. I could tell from the very beginning that I was going to be waiting a long time for my paperwork to be processed if I didn't stay on top of the situation. After 5 phone calls in less than 8 hours, I finally received an answer different than "unfortunately, at this time there is nothing we can do". My paperwork was finalized and sent over to the exterminator company on a Friday. It is now Thursday, therefore a week later, my house is prepped and the exterminator missed their appointment with me. I am waiting for a different technician to make it over to my house.

All in all, save yourselves the time and the money. The product doesn't work, I have read that it has also caused allergic reactions in cats (this did not happen to mine), and Frontline is absolutely terrible at handling the consequences. If you find yourself in a similar situation as mine ask for your money back and do not rely on their horrendous service. Between the time you spend waiting for Frontline and the exterminator company to process your paperwork, you'll have a giant colony of fleas in your home. If you have the money to hire an exterminator yourself, do it, or you'll find yourself in a situation in which you cannot walk into your house without picking fleas off of your legs (that is, if you're fast enough to catch them).

I've purchased Frontline Plus due to issues with my dog and several fleas. Product states that it will kill any fleas on your animal within 24 hrs. I still have fleas and this product has not worked. I contacted Frontline and asked for a refund. They stated that I need to buy more. I spoke to the supervisors boss and her name was Alisha. She actually stated it takes 24 hours to kill any fleas on my animals. I explained that is not the case. I was told I have to contact a vet to verify fleas are still present. Very disappointed with Frontline. Please feel free to contact Frontline and express your concerns also.

Frontline does not work. I used it with satisfaction for years. Starting 18 months ago, I noticed it wasn't working and supplemented with baths and powders. My Maltese are pad trained and rarely go out. Visiting dogs have evidently left fleas and with Frontline not working, I suddenly have a flea infestation on my dogs and bedding. I bathe them with regular shampoo and flea comb them daily but fleas keep coming. Frontline doesn't even kill the adult fleas. It's mostly alcohol -- not the original oily application. Help.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Frontline?

Folks I have read a lot of the reviews on this site about this particular pet treatment for fleas ticks etc. Please understand, my heart breaks for anyone who has had a beloved 4 legged family member that has become sick or has died as a result of this medicine. I wanted to point out a few things since you all seem to say it worked for years but no longer does or seem like it doesn't do anything.

The patent for Frontline's premier medicine expired a few years ago and as a result opened the market to generics and counterfeits. I know some of you have purchased from vets but others from "non veterinarian" sources. There are a lot of fakes out there that look just like the real product so I hope folks are not buying from online "super retailers" (if you know what I mean).

I was considering this product for my indoor cat since recently I pulled ticks off my shirt while watching tv. I recently took over caring for a feral colony due to their previous caretaker leaving this world so I am pretty sure I am picking them up from outside when feeding them or trying to gain their trust to love them up. The first thing I read about his medicine was from a vet online saying that after the patent expired Frontline changed the formula and it had fine print saying it was no longer safe for cats and my vet told me to stay away from the garbage out there as a result of cheap trash available on the market.

I suspect the quality has dropped since it no longer behooves them to make a premium product when generics are less (it's all about the $$ right?). Good luck to all and thanks for the feedback I will not risk my kitties lives for flea meds. I plan to have the yard treated to reduce the fleas and ticks and taking alternate measure for direct treatment. Also noticed many of the reviews in this thread are about "advantage" AKA not the same product so please be sure when you provide feedback you have the "right" product. Some are acting they are going back to advantage but others saying it had detrimental effects.

We must remember that all medicine has side effects and unfortunately is a "numbers game"... Rabies shots cause sarcomas, long acting antibiotics cause sarcomas (aggressive cancer from the vaccines). It is horrible that in this modern age we still have the "corrupt fueled by greed" selling us toxic products vs solutions that work because it might effect their "unit product margins".

Sad to see the direction of greed everywhere has only become exponentially worse. "After all (including the government) fraud in housing was slowed to collapsed the global ecomomy, simply because no one cared to checkout what banks were actually doing, what does corporate America care about our beloved pets" Let us know if anyone finds a health solution. (My vet said stay away from "hearts product" and that "pet armor" or something like that was a possible alternative that he had few side effects with. Good luck!

My 11 pound Pom had an allergic reaction to this toxin. I thought he was going to die he was in so much pain, luckily I contacted a knowledgeable vet who told me to wash him immediately with Dawn dish soap. I did this twice and he eventually came back to his old self within two days. I will NEVER EVER use this product again. Although the product is waterproof it is diluted substantially with the use of Dawn as it strips the oil on the skin where the product lies. Dawn Dish Soap (which they use on animals affected by oil spills) really does work! Thanks Dawn!

I went and got Frontline plus. It had worked for my dog last year. 2 months later, my dogs are crawling with fleas! I got the Frontline plus to prevent my indoor cats from getting them. Now I'm dealing with a flea infestation. I've treated my dogs and cats right (yes, I bought some for my cats too). I thought it would be different for my cats since they're never outside. I thought (at first) maybe it wasn't as potent as last year's batch. Now I have to find something that will relieve my cats & dogs' misery.

At the beginning of April, after a physical at our vet, our 9 year old Pug was declared to be in good physical condition. We received Frontline Plus since we were approaching flea and tick season, though she wasn't much of an outdoor dog. It was purchased directly through our vet, dosage appropriate for her weight, and applied according to instructions. With the first application, we didn't notice anything significant.

A couple days after the application in May, we began noticing changes including trouble walking on her back legs and a lack of coordination. She later began having seizures. The vet, who we love and trusted, could find no good reason for the symptoms. Last night, after a long seizure, she had to be rushed to the vet, where she eventually passed away from what the vet called a "neurological event", and an acknowledgment that it "could" have been related to the Frontline. I never knew this was a possibility with this treatment and be well assured that it will never be used in our house again!

I ordered Frontline Plus for cats and applied it as directed. My cat was going crazy when I first started applying the meds. I thought it was just that he didn't like that I was putting liquid on him. But the next day I noticed a chemical burn at the site of application. Hair was completely gone and he did not want me anywhere near that area. He hissed and scratched while I was trying to part the hair to take a picture. I gave up and snapped this while he was walking around. The site is covered by fur but it's about the size of a penny. And the flaky stuff...I hope it's not skin but something tells me it is. Do not use this product!

Although I am aware of the toxicity of poisons such as Frontline, I put one application on my 4-yr old golden retriever due to the extremely high rate of all types of ticks in the Southwestern New Hampshire area. In February 2017 I pulled 4 engorged deer ticks off my golden. So, ten days ago I put Frontline on her. BIG mistake and I hope it doesn't cost her her life.

She will not eat, even her favorites, since 48 hours after putting Frontline on her. No wonder the EPA has been researching taking it off the market. I knew better. But tick-borne diseases are even worse --I thought. I might have to give her a puppy cut so that I can put diatomaceous earth on her and "natural" essential oil based flea & tick sprays on her and actually be able to get them both into her skin. Can't do that now; she has a thick double coat. I hope she lives so that I can do this. Don't risk your pet's life using this toxic chemical.

Took my dog to the vet for a knee problem. Found out my dog is infested with fleas and has Lyme disease. Have always used FRONTLINE Plus. Never again. Called the company and they said their product is not a preventive- it just kills fleas and ticks after so many days. Oh, they said they would refund our money with proof of purchase and a receipt. Bought a 3PK, 3 months ago so no receipt. Found out the hard way. Please spread the word amongst animal lovers.

Frontline Plus for Cats. I used this product on my cat and she had a terrible reaction to this product. She broke out in blisters and now have vet bills totaling $200.00. I wouldn't recommend this product to any animal lover. To see your pet blistered with sores is grievous. My vet took pictures of her sores - unbelievable. Frontline should reimburse my vet bills.

Immediately after applying the liquid to my 20lb dog he became very lethargic. He also began crying as he was laying at my feet. I don't know if he was in pain but something was definitely wrong. I held him in my arms for about an hour then left him out and went to bed. He slept under the bed all night. He seems okay this morning. I will not put this on him again. I was very scared.

I just put on a week ago and we went mushroom hunting, and omg my dog had ticks on him for days, I was very displease with the product. I think a refund should be in order because this product is terrible!!!

I bought this Frontline Plus for both of my dogs thinking that it would get rid of their fleas considering it was over 50 dollars. It did nothing except make their fleas 10 times worse!!! This product is garbage and a waste of my money!!! I am extremely irritated that I even used this product in the first place. Do yourself a favor and stay away from this Frontline Plus completely!!!

We purchased the Frontline Plus product through Walmart and tried the product and it really did not work. What I am complaining about is that the actual vials were not even full on the last dose, in fact nothing was in them. We contacted Frontline directly and they asked if any of the product leaked and the response was no. They told me to get a receipt from Walmart then send the package back with the vials that were defective and it would be replaced. Well I contacted Walmart and they said in order to get receipt would take ages to go through sales and best bet was to contact Frontline to see if they honor their product. I gave up because of time consumed and will burn the amount of cash I spent on it. After 3 months expected the product to work so did not think about even keeping the receipt. Out of pocket $40 for a product that was useless. Its not the money it is the principle of it.

I have never been so sad in my life. After applying Advantage II for Cats to my cat, he became weak, lost use of his hind legs and blind in one eye. He suffered a seizure and died. He was a gorgeous 6 y.o. Himalayan. He's gone. This company should be ashamed and remove ALL products containing these harmful ingredients. Disgusted!

Do not use this crap on your pets. There are so many better and natural alternatives to getting rid of fleas. There's vinegar, **, and diatomaceous earth. These things work too. Frontline and all this crap is all hype and marketing. They use it to fool all you idiots out there and make lots of money. It's a toxic and terrible product and it doesn't even get rid of fleas and it's not safe for animals. People out there are mindless idiots and puppets and just listen to anything their vet tells them. Also stupid clueless people put this crap on their pets every month - you're slowly doing bad to your pet. Do NOT use this crap. Do NOT let these stupid companies get away with these terrible products.

Now these idiots have something called Frontline spray. When I had my kittens neutered, this stupid place put this nasty awful stuff Frontline spray on my cat. First off, it got all over my clothes, car, etc... it was terrible. Worse, my cat has not been happy and has been more aggressive. I was really upset. I should have had him taken to get a bath but didn't do that. This stuff stays on for one month - so you dowse an animal in this toxin and it stays on their body and skin. That is such a terrible thing to do to an animal. Do NOT use these products. They are not safe for your pets... Don't be one of the mindless idiots out there who does this.

I was deciding what product to use at the store, and after reading reviews on both (that Frontline is supposed to protect from fleas and ticks) I decided on Frontline. I wish I would have read this first, as I just applied a second round of Frontline... thinking I may have not applied it correctly the first time. It did absolutely nothing to kill the fleas, and now I'll have to wait to reapply another product. I used a different product on the dog, since I had already had it on hand, and the fleas were literally falling off in a matter of hours.

I hate using any of these products, but the last time I think I used Advantage for the cat and had no problems. I am usually all natural, but I hate to see my pets scratching themselves to death, and my cat and dog both have very thick fur making it nearly impossible to get the fleas with a comb. Usually it is a one-time "pesticide" application, and along with vacuuming and constantly washing everything for several weeks, the fleas are gone... so I guess I can handle that. Now I have to give the cat a third treatment (with a different product of course) and hope it works... because Frontline is a waste of time and money, along with putting harmful chemical on my pet for no reason.

Frontline Plus and Frontline Gold are no longer effective in controlling fleas or eggs on pets. We used both products per instructions beginning in June. 100's of fleas nevertheless. We switched to ** by Merck, which your vet will prescribe. The medicine comes in chewable form. No more fleas, eggs, no more itching!!! Frontline and Merial need to realize that fleas across the country are now IMMUNE to their products.

I had my vet apply Frontline to my 80 pound male German Shepherd. My dog became lethargic for the first 24 hours. The next day he lost control of his hind legs. I rushed him back to the vet but he had a massive seizure in the car and died before we arrived.

I have all my receipts for this product. I started purchasing this product back in July. It is now December and the product has not worked. I have followed the directions on the box and no results. I am very disappointed that I've wasted so much money on a product that didn't work! I would like to be contacted by this company to see how they can make it right by me.

The WORSE thing on the market that you can buy for your pet. My ten month old Pekingese has been miserable ever since I applied it. I have always used Advantage and I am going to bathe all of this nasty Frontline that is USELESS off him and purchase Advantage again. This company has terrible ratings and here's another. BUYER BEWARE! DO NOT USE FRONTLINE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES! It is ineffective and your pet will scratch worse than ever!

I bought Frontline Plus at my local Tractor Supply store because I get a discount as my son works there. I purchased the three-month treatment of three applications for both my dogs, a full grown Golden Retriever and puppy brother. I gave them both flea baths to start and treated them after for the third time 2 weeks ago. They kept scratching but I thought it was just dry skin. When I would bathe them, I didn't notice fleas and that's why I thought their skin was just dry. In northeast Ohio it's cold and it dries out your skin.

I was just on playing with my pup and I picked a flea off him. I treated my dogs before I moved in to my new house and it's too cold. We've had an inch of snowfall recently, so fleas aren't active outside and they didn't bring them with them. My question is... If they have been treated, moved to a new place, it's too cold out for fleas, where the hell are the fleas coming from and what has this treatment done but waste my money? I can't get a refund because I didn't buy it from a vet and I don't have the three-month-old receipt. FRONTLINE PLUS DOESN'T WORK!!!

I have been using Frontline on my cat for 15 years, Shih-Tzu for 8 years, and Rottweiler for 4 years and have never had any problems until now. I have been fighting fleas on every single animal for the past 3 months. I have been going crazy trying to figure out what is going on but now that I have read some reviews on here, I see that I'm not the only one. I feel horrible seeing how uncomfortable they are; all 3 are constantly scratching, biting, and jumping around like crazy. I'm extremely disappointed in this company because something has had to have changed. I don't know whether it's cheaper ingredients or different ingredients but something has changed. I am extremely upset that after 15 years of using a product that worked, I am now having to fight to make our home flea-free. I use to swear by Frontline and suggested it to everyone... well not anymore. SHAME ON YOU Frontline.

I bought Frontline Plus to help my little shih tzu with her flea problem. Two days after applying the recommended dose I thought she was dying. She couldn't get up, she could barely open her eyes, she was shaking uncontrollably and when she was able to open her eyes, they were dull in appearance. I of course got her to the vet immediately and she had a very irregular heartbeat. The vet told me that it's quite possible that she was having a reaction to the Frontline Plus. I'm happy to report that she is doing well and back to her old self but I will NEVER use this product again!

I have a German Shepherd and live with a family who have 2 med dogs of their own. A year ago when I saw no sign of fleas I decided that it wasn't flea and tick season and decided not to apply Frontline to my dog. It was a big mistake. The next month we had fleas everywhere. We spent the next month bombing, spraying, washing bedding, and bathing regularly to rid the infestation. We succeeded.

This past month we forgot to put Frontline on a different dog (missed about 2 months) and the fleas came back. My frustration got the better of me. The fleas on my dog seemed too pleased to be there and Frontline appeared to be not working. The statement: "Any fleas that jump on to your treated pet will die within 12 to 24 hours." seemed flaky so I decided to test it. My dog was on the tail end of the month's application, so the medicine should be at its weakest. I combed my dog, quickly found a couple fleas and put them in a jar. I set it there for the night and in the morning found that the fleas were either dead or twitching. According to Frontline: "But adult fleas on your pet are only 5% of the total flea problem. The other 95% are the eggs, larvae and pupae in the environment waiting to hatch and jump on to your pets." So I just needed to wait it out.

I can't speak for those who say they've been using it for years and it doesn't work. Try using the test I used to verify that the fleas are living longer than the product indicates they should. If they are dying then the fleas are coming from another source of food for them. Neighbors pets might be a factor. Wild animals can also be a source of fleas. Rodents can carry fleas and can deposit flea eggs wherever they go. In all though, do your homework and find out more beyond the punchlines that are listed on the commercials.

All of us here love our four legged family members (if we didn't, we wouldn't take the time to review). My heart breaks to see my cat striving for comfort (licking, biting, jumping around like a mad man) as I do everything possible to care for him. Convinced by my husband to switch to Frontline (because it's a "superior" product), I have found much disappointment. We are now in the 5th month of using Frontline with NO relief of pests. Shame on me, I bought a 6 month supply... I have NOT found 1 dead flea on him and keep having to bathe & comb them out. Definitely a waste of money and I will NEVER use this product again. I'll be switching back to your competitor Advantage II.

Purchased this product 4 days ago because my vet had closed early and I couldn't purchase the Vectra I normally use. Treated my dog as instructed. I may as well have not used it at all. Now my dog has to wait and be miserable for 30 more days until his next treatment. Called Frontline and they Frontline isn't supposed to make your dog stop itching, but is supposed to kill the fleas and it may take "2 or 3" cycles before it works!!! To get a "one time refund" you have to provide your receipt (which naturally I have since thrown out) AND proof that any/all other pets in your home have been treated for 3 months - even if they're strictly indoor animals. Don't waste your money on a product that will give your pet NO relief!: (

Frontline Company Profile