1.17/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

Frontline

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 13, 2017

300 Frontline Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

The product (Frontline Plus for Cats) used to be great but since being bought out in Jan '17 the product no longer works at all. You can't contact the company and they don't stand behind their product. Save your money and buy a less expensive treatment that actually works. They just don't care!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I purchased 1-3 pack of Frontline Plus for my small dog, my big dog and my cat with great regret. I keep flea medication on my pets year round but I usually buy Pet Armor and it works great. They were out of Pet Armor so I spent more money and purchased frontline and I have fleas coming out of the ying yang. I called the company and told them I have used a 2 month supply so far and I have fleas which I have not seen in at least 10 years by using Pet Armor. I have no carpet and I have thoroughly cleaned my house and washed all the linens to no relief. The company was very unsympathetic, did not offer me a refund or replacement and said it takes three months before it works. Their excuses are lame and I will check every product I use and make sure it is not made by Merial, Inc. Their products suck along with their lack of concern. I can see their only concern is taking money and giving water in return.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I am going through a major flea infestation right now. Found flea larvae under a chair cushion and see many eggs. I sweep every other day with an Electrolux, treat with Frontline Gold for 4 months, spray a can of black flag for fleas and ticks and two can of knock out all to no avail. My big cat has pulled most of his fur out on his back and underarms. You can't even touch him. My female cat looks fine but is crawling with fleas also. I finally have had enough. Frontline may be giving me my three hundred dollars or so back. Thank you. I am now a using Revolution and 24 to 36 hours later the fleas are dropping off dead. It's gross but I am so happy. It has been four months of hell with these blood sucking creatures. THANK YOU REVOLUTION.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

Never had fleas before, but always use preventative. As soon as I applied Frontline on my APBT mix he broke out in hives and rash all over his body, still has problems now from the reaction with hair loss and eczema! Not going to use this product again.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

I have 3 in/outdoor cats & 2 small dogs that only go out in our side yard to potty. One of our cats has a severe flea allergy that causes him to break out in painful scabs, so I keep flea meds on them all year. I normally buy Advantage but Petco was out of product for cats, so I decided to try out FL+ on all our cats to see if maybe it would as well as Advantage. I bought a 3mo supply of FL+ for the cats & Advantage 2 for the dogs & applied exactly as directed. It's as though I have not put anything on the cats. My cat with the flea allergy has to go in tomorrow for an injection because this product is crap. It's bad enough FL+ cost much more than Advantage, but now I have to pay for a vet visit & injection. To make matters worse, he can't have another flea treatment for nearly two weeks because he was treated with FL+ on September 16 (It's October 5 today).

I do not recommend buying this product unless you have money to blow & or you don't care if your pet suffers from flea infestation. If I could give zero stars, that's what I'd give because that's what this product deserves. UPDATE: After speaking with our vet, he informed me that the maker of Frontline let the patent expire on the active ingredient used in FL. The reason for this because cats have become immune to it. Many of the cheaper brands of flea treatment such as Pet Armor & some pet store brands have the same active ingredient that FL does. They continue to sell Frontline because people still buy it. He recommends Advantage Multi for cats. It's only available at a vet. He said Frontline for dogs still seems to work for treating fleas & ticks. I hope this information will be helpful to those who are wanting to find out which products work best to control fleas/ticks on their pets.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Frontline?

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I am extremely disappointed with the product quality and lack of consumer care by Frontline. I raised a concern with them since treating both my cat and dog to their Frontline Plus monthly treatment which made both my pets physically sick and the fleas remained on them. The response I received from them was that my house was infested and I should hoover 'more often'. It was an insult. My main concern was the well being of my pets health having suffered physical side effects from administering what should be a simple flea/tick prevention. They were due to investigate this with my Vet but I have since heard no more from them. I will NEVER use their treatment/products again nor would I ever recommend them! I know of several others who have experienced the same suffering with their dogs when applying this treatment so there is clearly an issue that needs investigating and looking into yet I feel this has not been taken seriously by Frontline.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

Treated my 3 cats with Frontline Gold and it absolutely did NO GOOD. I checked and found a flea right where I put the Frontline, what did you folks do with your solution??? Fix it 'cause this stuff does not work!!! Now I'm going to get Advantage and use it right away, the fleas eat that stuff up like a big dinner... Pretty disappointed with you right now and you should send me my $55.00 back... I just treated them 9/24/17 and I see on the box tab 2/17 is that the expiration date? If it is then it probably was outdated too. Signed Not a Happy Camper!!!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

I purchased Frontline Plus, used for months and my animals were not getting relief. I used products for the house, washed all bedding and still fleas. So my neighbor suggested Advantage 2. I used it and immediately my dogs and cats found relief... my cash funds ran low so I had to use my CareCredit credit card at the vet to purchase. What they sold Frontline Gold and lo and behold back to the same problem - fleas and my animals no relief. My small dog who sleeps in the bed itches all night. It's ridiculous I spend 135.00 on a product that does not deliver on what it claims to do.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

Got a new cat in January and immediately started him on Frontline, as I have with my previous cats. I buy it in three-month packs from my local Pet World at $53.00 per pack. I apply the treatment scrupulously on the first day of every month. At the end of July, I noticed a couple of fleas on the cat. After the August application, he was soon covered in fleas. The house is now infested. I had to get a prescription from the vet ($70.00 in visit fees), and I’m looking at hefty fumigation fees for the house. I contacted Frontline and was told that I could not get a refund unless I had purchased the product from a veterinarian. This is not inexpensive stuff! Unfortunately, I tossed the receipt, never having had problems before. Perhaps it’s time for a class action lawsuit against Frontline.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

I have used Frontline for years on both my inside Cat and outside Dog. And it worked Flawlessly Great. All that changed when Department stores started selling Frontline. Now if you use Frontline your animals have fleas, and your house has Fleas. I believe now that they are not Veterinarian exclusive. They stopped using or cut back their main ingredient. Either way I don't use Frontline anymore and I don't recommend it.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I have been using Frontline year round for almost 12 years on my two dogs, they have never had 1 flea on them. Now I need to get more and can't find it anywhere here where I live. I treat my dogs every month even thru the winter.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I have religiously used Frontline for my pets for many years. I have not had a problem until this year. I apply it on time every single month. I change to Frontline Gold for the past 3 months. My dog had been itching but I assumed it was dry skin because how on earth could be fleas. I took him in for grooming and they found fleas on him they asked what product I use. When I said Frontline, they said yes there's a problem with Frontline this year given the weather conditions that we've experienced and the amount of fleas that are out there. Said all the pets that have come in that unexpectedly had fleas they noticed a trend that the owners were using Frontline. They suggested that I use a different product. My dog was given a special flea bath and I treated my house. Should also mention that I have a quarterly pest control service for my property which includes treating the yard for fleas, spiders, ants, etc.

I called Frontline today given they are supposed to guarantee their product. She asked me numerous questions and instantly tried to blame it on me allowing the dog to go to the bathroom outside. She said you can see fleas on the dog and they all die within 30 minutes to 12 hours so just seeing a flea on the dog does not mean it's not working. She finally came around to saying that yes we guarantee our product and if I send in the balance of what I have plus detailed itemized receipt they would provide a refund. As I said, and I told her, I have use this product for years without issue why would I keep the receipt? I was three months into a six-month pack.

I guarantee I won't use this product anymore not only because of its ineffectiveness but their apparent lack of interest in backing their product. Her comment to me was we've not had any bad batches and that's not the problem. Well yes apparently there's a problem especially now that I'm looking at all these other reviews! Truly disappointed...

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

A month ago I found 2 fleas on my 12-pound dog. TWO FLEAS. I immediately bought Frontline Plus from my vet and applied it carefully and exactly as directed. Now, 30 days later, dozens of fleas are all over my dog. I was annoyed & thinking it was a bad batch... Until I read the earlier reviews here and now I'm just glad that she's not dead from it. NEVER USE FRONTLINE PLUS!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

So, I have been a Frontline fan from the time I was younger with my first dog, worked great! That being said, we automatically used it for our GSD Shadow. We have always followed the instructions to the T, applied it on time and also our vet recommended putting it on her while she was still dirty because the dog's natural oils help spread the topical meds more efficiently. This summer was a different story. It was about a week before her next dose of Frontline Plus, we were on the floor with our children and my little girl says, "Mom! A little bug!" I looked and it was jumping everywhere. I was like wait, hold the phone! Is that a flea!?! In my house?! Shadow isn't due for her meds yet... I was confused. Why on God's green earth would my dog have a flea on her if she is religiously on her meds?! So I checked her, she was covered in fleas! What does that mean? We have an infestation!!! How could we get an infestation if she is treated?

So we applied her next dose a week early thinking we could get this nipped in the bud fast, treated our house and yard. But I noticed something different, she was still covered In Fleas! I haven't seen one dead flea on her at all! I am so upset that this happened. It shouldn't have, she was treated! It's not like we let the infestation start then put it on her, she was already on her meds for a year when this happened. We spent a lot of money on this stuff. Now we have to spend money we don't have and use harmful chemicals around my little babies because of this!

I will never recommend this brand to anyone again, honestly I will tell everyone I know how terrible it is and how it doesn't work at all! Talked to my vet and she said she has noticed that fleas and ticks have built up a resistance to Frontline products and she recommended another trusted flea medicine. I really hope you get discontinued, you shouldn't put claims on things that aren't true. Stop lying to people and charging them for a product that doesn't work!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

Frontline Plus - Bought 2 boxes for my dogs for flea control. It is not working and both dogs are full of fleas. We bombed the house & the backyard and they still have fleas. I called to complain to Frontline customer service and she said new fleas can jump on anytime and they will not die. Okay why does it say it works for 30 days killing fleas, ticks, eggs, larvae, etc. Wasted almost $100 on stuff that does not work. I will never buy this product again because it does not work.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

I have 6 indoor-only cats. There are no other animals in my home. In June I noticed evidence of fleas on a couple of the cats. My vet recommended treating all of the cats with Frontline Gold. I purchased a 3 month supply from my vet on June 15 for a total cost of $330.72. The treatment was applied to all cats on June 15 and July 15. By August 1 I was finding adult fleas on the cats. I scheduled another appointment with my vet. She concluded that the Frontline Gold was not working and that I should purchase another brand of flea treatment from a pet supply store. She also recommended that I discontinue use of the Frontline product and contact Frontline about their satisfaction guarantee.

The guarantee is worthless. They offered to send more Frontline Gold at no cost (the product doesn't work -- why do I want more?) or provide the services of Terminix. (I have a contract with Orkin to treat my home for insects and other pests. I don't need another exterminator.) I am buying another product that will hopefully work. What I want is a refund for the product that doesn't work.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

I purchased this product and expected it to work. When I call asking for refund due to the lack of the product working, they would not refund unless I had purchased from a vet. Since I purchased from Walmart then the satisfaction guarantee did not apply. However if I had used all the product for 3 months I might have qualified for a refund. In the meantime my poor dog suffers with fleas all over his face as well as the rest of his body after using this product. The representative stated that the product helped control the home more than keeping the fleas off the dog. What a scam...

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

Bought Frontline from Pets at Home for my cat and dog. Within hours after treatment our healthy cat was vomiting. 2 weeks after the first treatment our healthy cat started to become lethargic and wouldn't eat much, even her favourite treats didn't perk her up. As we were going to bed our cat was at the top of the stairs convulsion. Within minutes she was dead. We gave our healthy strong Newfoundland the same treatment at the same time and she became very lethargic, no spring in her step, marked reducement in her appetite within a day. We never thought anything of it as thought that she might have just picked up a bug.

She started to pick up after 3 weeks and started eat and find her spark again. Then we gave her the second dose a month after the first and the cycle began again. Once again, within 24 hrs no eating, lethargic, no barking at people or dogs passing our property, no excitement when we would return home. We put 2 and 2 together and could only come up with the conclusion that it was Frontline that caused the death of our healthy cat and the symptoms our beautiful dog has been through. My advice would be to not use this product and speak to your vet beforehand. Wish I had read this before I purchased Frontline as I would have went for an alternative product.

Original review: July 27, 2017

I have been using Frontline for 5 months for my two cats. For the first two months it seemed to work and I could not find any more definite signs of fleas. I interrupted the treatment for only one month and the fleas came back. I restarted it for the next three consecutive months and the flea issue actually progressed instead of diminishing. I got on the phone with Frontline. Because I made all of my purchases at the vet's office, they qualified me for "a customer satisfaction" program. I opted to have an exterminator come to my apartment as the flea situation got out of control (in spite of constant vacuuming and washing sheets and clothes in hot water). Currently, I haven't been able to live inside of my house for a week because the fleas get on me and they bite. I have bathed my cats and I gave them to a friend until my place is taken care of. My feet are covered in bites.

In processing my case, Frontline customer service was terrible. I could tell from the very beginning that I was going to be waiting a long time for my paperwork to be processed if I didn't stay on top of the situation. After 5 phone calls in less than 8 hours, I finally received an answer different than "unfortunately, at this time there is nothing we can do". My paperwork was finalized and sent over to the exterminator company on a Friday. It is now Thursday, therefore a week later, my house is prepped and the exterminator missed their appointment with me. I am waiting for a different technician to make it over to my house.

All in all, save yourselves the time and the money. The product doesn't work, I have read that it has also caused allergic reactions in cats (this did not happen to mine), and Frontline is absolutely terrible at handling the consequences. If you find yourself in a similar situation as mine ask for your money back and do not rely on their horrendous service. Between the time you spend waiting for Frontline and the exterminator company to process your paperwork, you'll have a giant colony of fleas in your home. If you have the money to hire an exterminator yourself, do it, or you'll find yourself in a situation in which you cannot walk into your house without picking fleas off of your legs (that is, if you're fast enough to catch them).

Original review: July 27, 2017

I've purchased Frontline Plus due to issues with my dog and several fleas. Product states that it will kill any fleas on your animal within 24 hrs. I still have fleas and this product has not worked. I contacted Frontline and asked for a refund. They stated that I need to buy more. I spoke to the supervisors boss and her name was Alisha. She actually stated it takes 24 hours to kill any fleas on my animals. I explained that is not the case. I was told I have to contact a vet to verify fleas are still present. Very disappointed with Frontline. Please feel free to contact Frontline and express your concerns also.

Original review: July 19, 2017

Frontline does not work. I used it with satisfaction for years. Starting 18 months ago, I noticed it wasn't working and supplemented with baths and powders. My Maltese are pad trained and rarely go out. Visiting dogs have evidently left fleas and with Frontline not working, I suddenly have a flea infestation on my dogs and bedding. I bathe them with regular shampoo and flea comb them daily but fleas keep coming. Frontline doesn't even kill the adult fleas. It's mostly alcohol -- not the original oily application. Help.

Original review: July 9, 2017

Folks I have read a lot of the reviews on this site about this particular pet treatment for fleas ticks etc. Please understand, my heart breaks for anyone who has had a beloved 4 legged family member that has become sick or has died as a result of this medicine. I wanted to point out a few things since you all seem to say it worked for years but no longer does or seem like it doesn't do anything.

The patent for Frontline's premier medicine expired a few years ago and as a result opened the market to generics and counterfeits. I know some of you have purchased from vets but others from "non veterinarian" sources. There are a lot of fakes out there that look just like the real product so I hope folks are not buying from online "super retailers" (if you know what I mean).

I was considering this product for my indoor cat since recently I pulled ticks off my shirt while watching tv. I recently took over caring for a feral colony due to their previous caretaker leaving this world so I am pretty sure I am picking them up from outside when feeding them or trying to gain their trust to love them up. The first thing I read about his medicine was from a vet online saying that after the patent expired Frontline changed the formula and it had fine print saying it was no longer safe for cats and my vet told me to stay away from the garbage out there as a result of cheap trash available on the market.

I suspect the quality has dropped since it no longer behooves them to make a premium product when generics are less (it's all about the $$ right?). Good luck to all and thanks for the feedback I will not risk my kitties lives for flea meds. I plan to have the yard treated to reduce the fleas and ticks and taking alternate measure for direct treatment. Also noticed many of the reviews in this thread are about "advantage" AKA not the same product so please be sure when you provide feedback you have the "right" product. Some are acting they are going back to advantage but others saying it had detrimental effects.

We must remember that all medicine has side effects and unfortunately is a "numbers game"... Rabies shots cause sarcomas, long acting antibiotics cause sarcomas (aggressive cancer from the vaccines). It is horrible that in this modern age we still have the "corrupt fueled by greed" selling us toxic products vs solutions that work because it might effect their "unit product margins".

Sad to see the direction of greed everywhere has only become exponentially worse. "After all (including the government) fraud in housing was slowed to collapsed the global ecomomy, simply because no one cared to checkout what banks were actually doing, what does corporate America care about our beloved pets" Let us know if anyone finds a health solution. (My vet said stay away from "hearts product" and that "pet armor" or something like that was a possible alternative that he had few side effects with. Good luck!

Original review: June 29, 2017

My 11 pound Pom had an allergic reaction to this toxin. I thought he was going to die he was in so much pain, luckily I contacted a knowledgeable vet who told me to wash him immediately with Dawn dish soap. I did this twice and he eventually came back to his old self within two days. I will NEVER EVER use this product again. Although the product is waterproof it is diluted substantially with the use of Dawn as it strips the oil on the skin where the product lies. Dawn Dish Soap (which they use on animals affected by oil spills) really does work! Thanks Dawn!

Original review: June 14, 2017

I went and got Frontline plus. It had worked for my dog last year. 2 months later, my dogs are crawling with fleas! I got the Frontline plus to prevent my indoor cats from getting them. Now I'm dealing with a flea infestation. I've treated my dogs and cats right (yes, I bought some for my cats too). I thought it would be different for my cats since they're never outside. I thought (at first) maybe it wasn't as potent as last year's batch. Now I have to find something that will relieve my cats & dogs' misery.

Original review: June 3, 2017

At the beginning of April, after a physical at our vet, our 9 year old Pug was declared to be in good physical condition. We received Frontline Plus since we were approaching flea and tick season, though she wasn't much of an outdoor dog. It was purchased directly through our vet, dosage appropriate for her weight, and applied according to instructions. With the first application, we didn't notice anything significant.

A couple days after the application in May, we began noticing changes including trouble walking on her back legs and a lack of coordination. She later began having seizures. The vet, who we love and trusted, could find no good reason for the symptoms. Last night, after a long seizure, she had to be rushed to the vet, where she eventually passed away from what the vet called a "neurological event", and an acknowledgment that it "could" have been related to the Frontline. I never knew this was a possibility with this treatment and be well assured that it will never be used in our house again!

Original review: May 28, 2017

I ordered Frontline Plus for cats and applied it as directed. My cat was going crazy when I first started applying the meds. I thought it was just that he didn't like that I was putting liquid on him. But the next day I noticed a chemical burn at the site of application. Hair was completely gone and he did not want me anywhere near that area. He hissed and scratched while I was trying to part the hair to take a picture. I gave up and snapped this while he was walking around. The site is covered by fur but it's about the size of a penny. And the flaky stuff...I hope it's not skin but something tells me it is. Do not use this product!

Original review: May 14, 2017

Although I am aware of the toxicity of poisons such as Frontline, I put one application on my 4-yr old golden retriever due to the extremely high rate of all types of ticks in the Southwestern New Hampshire area. In February 2017 I pulled 4 engorged deer ticks off my golden. So, ten days ago I put Frontline on her. BIG mistake and I hope it doesn't cost her her life.

She will not eat, even her favorites, since 48 hours after putting Frontline on her. No wonder the EPA has been researching taking it off the market. I knew better. But tick-borne diseases are even worse --I thought. I might have to give her a puppy cut so that I can put diatomaceous earth on her and "natural" essential oil based flea & tick sprays on her and actually be able to get them both into her skin. Can't do that now; she has a thick double coat. I hope she lives so that I can do this. Don't risk your pet's life using this toxic chemical.

Original review: May 13, 2017

Took my dog to the vet for a knee problem. Found out my dog is infested with fleas and has Lyme disease. Have always used FRONTLINE Plus. Never again. Called the company and they said their product is not a preventive- it just kills fleas and ticks after so many days. Oh, they said they would refund our money with proof of purchase and a receipt. Bought a 3PK, 3 months ago so no receipt. Found out the hard way. Please spread the word amongst animal lovers.

Original review: May 1, 2017

Frontline Plus for Cats. I used this product on my cat and she had a terrible reaction to this product. She broke out in blisters and now have vet bills totaling $200.00. I wouldn't recommend this product to any animal lover. To see your pet blistered with sores is grievous. My vet took pictures of her sores - unbelievable. Frontline should reimburse my vet bills.

Original review: April 23, 2017

Immediately after applying the liquid to my 20lb dog he became very lethargic. He also began crying as he was laying at my feet. I don't know if he was in pain but something was definitely wrong. I held him in my arms for about an hour then left him out and went to bed. He slept under the bed all night. He seems okay this morning. I will not put this on him again. I was very scared.

Frontline Company Information