1.15/5
Based on 330 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

335 Frontline Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

We've used Frontline Plus for YEARS on all of our kitties, but now it DOESN'T WORK AT ALL???!!! Bought it on sale 2 years in a row, as it's so expensive, now have 21 useless doses of this product, not to mention our babies' discomfort from fleas. If there's a class action suit, I'M IN!!!

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

Last night I asked a question about a promo gift card that was added to my receipt. All the Frontline staff seemed nice and agreed it wasn’t showing up on my receipt correctly. Then a manager type came and was very rude and clearly annoyed. I had been there for over 10 minutes at this point and frankly didn’t care anymore. It wasn’t worth my time. The manager was condescending. I won’t be shopping there anymore.

Get expert buying tips about Pet Care Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

For me to write a review is usually due to an experience, service or product being extraordinarily great or completely horrible. Frontline Plus for Cats... complete disappointment. My five cats had their first dose of this so called flea “preventative” a little over a month ago. I didn’t see a bit of improvement but thought maybe the next dose will be effective. So a week & a half ago was their second dose. Not only has there still not been any improvement, the fleas are significantly WORSE. This stuff is crap. That’s all.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I used Frontline Plus for 10 years on my Shih Tzu and he never had a flea or tick. He constantly had allergies from the time he ws 4 and we just attributed that to his poor breeding! Now I'm starting to wonder if it was from years of Frontline. I have a 4 year old female who had been using Frontline Plus for all her life and got ticks and fleas 2 months ago! Bought thru Chewy.com so I have all receipts and don't jump thru normal Merial hoops. Ok'ed my refund for a bad batch of Frontline Plus and 2 months later still waiting! Don't need the money, but if I did, Frontline (Merial) guarantee would be worthless.

Chewy was great! I called to alert them of a bad batch and gave them the lot number, in case anyone else called with a problem. They volunteered to pay my Vet bill and stand behind everything they sell! I am now looking for a better way to repel and kill fleas and ticks on my Shih Tzu who has Champion bloodlines and a reputable breeder! Probably will research natural alternatives because of my bad experience with Frontline Plus.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

Just used Frontline on my 2 dogs a month ago and it didn't work at all! It was expensive and since I didn't want to put any more chemicals on my dogs within that month, I've needed to continually bathe them and purchase flea shampoos just until I can try a different product. I will NEVER buy this product again!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Frontline?

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I used this product on my Cairn Terrier per product recommendations. He was getting ready to turn 4 and started having ALL of the symptoms listed including violent seizures. He was in ICU at a university vet hospital but there wasn't anything they could do to save him. Autopsy revealed encephalitis but I think that the product played an important role in his demise. My daughter also used the product on her poodle and within 24 hours of using the product he had N/V, muscle pain, generalized weakness, itching, hair loss, uncoordinated movements, excessive salivation, and lethargy. After we realized the cause, we bathed him in Dawn dish soap several times. He is better but still has symptoms. We realized that there was a pattern to his deteriorating condition after the use. My sister acknowledged that she too has had similar experiences after using this product on her dogs. Since this, we have ceased using this product on all of our dogs.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

Frontline plus for Dogs does not work to treat fleas. I have always used this products for my outdoor dogs, it certainly helps with ticks but when this season we had fleas. I applied this product to my German Shepard two weeks ago and she is extremely miserable. She is infested with fleas, don’t waste your money buying this product. It is an ultimate loss for your money and your fur baby! So upset with Frontline!!!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I used Frontline many years ago on outside strays and it seemed to work well. At the end of June I noticed fleas on my inside cats and that the outside cat had fleas also even though he’d been on Frontline Plus for months/year. I started all house pets on Frontline Plus and began a strict regiment of sprays with growth inhibitors and DE, as I don’t want to bomb the house because of lung cancer issues. By the end of October, one of the House cats was so sick I took her to the vets. Well, nearly $1,000.00 later, I’m treating her for anemia from fleas.

My vet switched me to Seresto collar for house cats and Revolution for outside cat. Things are finally better. Warning to all, Frontline is no longer effective. I’m in New Jersey, don’t waste your time, money or hurt your pets wasting valuable time allowing fleas to multiply and infest your home. I hardly ever write reviews, but this time I feel compelled to voice my opinion because this nearly killed a sweet, smart 10 year old cat. This product should be off the market.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

This has no effect on the fleas for our two cats. Been using regularly every four weeks. We're going to go back to the vets and get their own treatment that although expensive, works. We won't be using Frontline again.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

NEVER buy this product. Fleas worse on dog and fleas throughout house and humans. I assumed Frontline was a good product; however, it is the WORST. How can you sell a product with such deception? Our whole house is miserable because of Frontline. We demand some kind of restitution for selling a pricey fraud, and your company should be ashamed and embarrassed. I demand my money back and your company come into our flea-ridden house to get rid of these pests. My whole family, and my poor dog are suffering greatly. Shame on you.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I treat my dog and 3 cats regularly. Used this products 3 weeks ago and then started with an infestation of fleas. This product is a lie and a scam. When I called the company they only explained life of a flea and let me know this is my fault because I let my dog outside to go to the bathroom.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

My cat is losing its hair again after putting on the Frontline gold. I had an exterminator at my house for fleas. Both cats were boarded and had a flea bath. When they came home 2 days later I put Frontline and again my one cat’s hair began falling out and I found live fleas on them. For the price they charge for this stuff it should work. Both times it did not help with fleas. Disappointed.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

Frontline used to work on fleas where I live. I had used the product several years ago and it worked. However, I got a flea infestation about a year ago and tried Frontline for several months along with using an exterminator for both inside and outside my home. I got rid of furniture and tried everything. I have spent thousands of dollars until finally, I sought the advice of a Veterinarian who informed me that Frontline no longer works where I live. They did have a good product at one time, but they really need to do some research to get up with the times. I got a prescription product from the vet. and two months later, after a year long losing battle, I am nearly flea free. I would not recommend this product anymore.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

We've used Frontline Plus as a maintenance for our dog. After noticing our dog bite at herself around six months ago, we started applying Frontline Plus every 30 days, religiously. We are on the last application of a 180 day treatment cycle and we have had to get flea treatment at Petsmart's grooming service. The disappointment with the product comes from Frontline's customer service guarantee. They will tell you a thousand different reasons why your dog still has fleas. And. Their guarantee is good if you buy Frontline Plus from an approved veterinarian clinic and hold onto the receipt. In this situation, they will give you a refund and have your home treated by Terminix for fleas. So, if you want this product and Frontline's guarantee, you need to purchase it from an approved veterinarian clinic.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Frontline did nothing for my cat, especially this year. It always worked in the past. My cat has been treated with Frontline every 30 days this summer and I just found out she is infested with fleas!!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I have two huskies and they both broke out in sores after using this product. They barely had fleas so we were using this spray as an extra bit of security. My older husky is in worse shape because not only does his neck and back have sores on them, he also started acting differently which I'm thinking the spray may have made him sick. This was a terrible experience and this product needs to be taken out of stores before any other animals are harmed.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

I say ditto to all these reports. It appear this failure is all since the company changed hands in 2016. We used it religiously up to 2016 and it worked great. Our old dog died then and last year we replaced her. We treated our dog every 30 days since June and she picked up fleas in August and we still can't get rid of them. This was never a issue prior to 2016. Appears to be an attempt to make more money with the same amount of raw material by cutting the amount used and keeping the price up or increasing it. We are done with Frontline forever!

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

We love the product but the packaging is poor. It is hard to open and the last box we got one of the doses had a pinhole in it. You are pretty much out 12 dollars when this happens. We ordered it online so it was impossible to tell.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I will never again use Frontline for my cats. They are scratching worse than they were before. They have crusty clumps/sores on their skin which were nonexistent prior to using Frontline. I will now need to take them to the vet to get Revolution - a product that works great. I was just trying to avoid stressing out my cats with a vet visit. Unfortunately, the vets will not give you Revolution unless they have seen your pet within a year. And, like an idiot, I gave them a second dose of Frontline, which is when the sores appeared. And, my cats are strictly indoor cats. I think I brought fleas in the house after cutting my lawn. So with limited exposure to outdoors, the fleas infestation was minimal and Frontline didn't even work for them!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I purchased Frontline Plus from Walmart. I made sure that I treated my entire home for fleas on the same day I was treating my cat. I have only 1 cat. No other pets. Since treating the house I have stopped seeing fleas and getting flea bites, but my cat is still full of fleas 5 days after the flea treatment. I called the customer service department concerning the satisfaction guarantee on the packaging and of course got the runaround. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY! Spend the extra 10.00 and buy a different brand!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

I have been grooming dogs for 18 years, and have always recommended Frontline to my customers and also used it on my own dogs. Never had a flea problem until two years ago when almost all of my customers began to complain their dogs had fleas even though they had been treated. Since then l have seen more and more dogs LOADED with fleas!! Have discussed this issue with many vets, and was told Frontline Plus is no longer effective, and the company is now selling.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Product no longer works. I used it for years with no problems but this year I might as well have put water on my dogs and cats. Company refuses to stand by its product. Refused to give me a refund. I will never buy Frontline again. I hope it was worth it to them to lose a good customer. I have 16 cats and two dogs, that's over $200/mth in flea control. Poor quality product and poor customer service. Not the company for me.

Original review: July 4, 2018

I gave my dog Frontline Plus (5 to 22 lbs) and approx. 10 days later I had her groomed. The groomer said he had a lot of fleas. I live in Florida and talked to my vet about Frontline not working. I may have to also use Sentinel (expensive) with Frontline Plus. I have used Frontline Plus last year this time and it worked fine. I also used it on my other dog before he passed and no problems. I do not know if it has merit but the owner of a kennel told me on July 3, 2018 that Frontline Plus no longer works. She said it use to work on their dogs for 2 months, not any more. I decided to purchase PetArmor cheaper & has same ingredients and purchased Lavender spray & Natural Flea & Tick spray with Peppermint Oil & Eugenol. I now bath her with Flea & tick shampoo. I really liked Frontline Plus, less for me to do. Thanks for your time in this matter. Happy 4th of July 2018!

Original review: June 28, 2018

On Friday 22 June 2018 I put Frontline Plus on my 20 year old much beloved pussycat. On Saturday 23 June he became lethargic, shivered, threw up and began to lose large clots of fur where the Frontline had been place on his back at the base of his neck. One drop had fallen on his head, and that fur also began to come out. We became very concerned and call our vet and made an appointment. On 26 June the vet came, and examined our cat. She gave him a steroid shot, and started him on an antibiotic.

On 27 June I called Merial, Inc. the company that markets Frontline. I was routed to a woman, and it was much like having a conversation with a robot. It was immediately obvious that mine was not her first call on this subject. She asked me if our cat had become lethargic? Had he vomited? How long was it from putting on the medicine to his fur falling out. When I answered her questions she immediately gave me a case number, and went into her patter. I told her I had pictures, and I was pretty sure our vet would write a diagnostic report. Her response was, "We have protocols for that," "So you will have to do what you think best." "Without the receipt and lot number however, I am afraid we will not be able to do anything."

I told her we had purchased the Frontline early in the Fall of the previous year and asked her if she had every one of her grocery store receipts from nine months ago. She said, she didn't make the regulations, which I assured her I understood, and that there was nothing personal in what I was saying. She reiterated that without the receipt she could not proceed. Shortly after that I got a $301 invoice from the vet. All I can say is that if you have a beloved pussycat companion, avoid this product like a plague.

Original review: June 9, 2018

Have used Frontline for several years as my one dog had a bad reaction to Hartz. This year used as directed and my small dog had a flea infestation and hotspot reaction resulting in a $200 vet bill. The vet tells me she has seen several cases and Frontline just doesn’t seem to be working anymore. I was two months into a six month supply. Customer service requires a receipt and then tells you they guarantee the product only if you have been using for 3 months. Never using again. Too expensive and they don’t stand behind their product.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I am writing this review as a few times we have used Frontline on our wee dog and it has not worked as stated. We have had to repeat the process a couple of times not long after the first treatment. This should not have to be done. We have followed instructions closely to no avail. Very disappointed as this product claims it works and does not. Wasted money and agony to our pet.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

I bought a three month supply of Frontline for my pet. After two weeks he was scratching again so I bathe him and put on another supply and two weeks later he is still scratching and there still fleas he was infested or anything. They just don’t repel fleas and this product is extremely expensive to not work.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I have been using various flea meds on my Jack Russell mix with no great results. This last attempt was with Frontline Plus for the last two months. The treatment seems to work for about a week, and then by the end of the second week, the dog needs to be treated again. Which is a problem because they say you shouldn't treat them more than once in 30 days. I'm afraid of the oral treatments but I may have to go that route next January.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

I wish I could give "0" stars on this product, but, to give review, you have to have at least one star. Used Frontline Gold for cats on all of our cats and did all the requirements to get rid of fleas and their eggs, throughout the house. 2 months later, still seeing fleas on my furbabies and they are driving them nuts! They have scratched to the point they have little to no hair around their necks. I don't know why or what is wrong with the Frontline Gold, but, I am definitely switching to a different brand.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I have 3 cats, two totally indoor cats, one indoor/outdoor cat. My cats have been on Frontline since I got them (One 12 years, one 4 years, one a year) starting about June I noticed the indoor/outdoor cat (Maine Coon) was covered in ticks. Immediately I combed him/dipped him and cleaned him off. He was on Frontline which is suppose to stop flea/ticks but figure maybe it was a really bad summer.

Kept on treating him, kept on putting the Frontline on. He still was covered. Yesterday found a tick on his throat that was attached to him. Removed it, but now going to order the collars because Frontline does not work, and when you call the company you can tell the customer service representatives don't care, and was told to deflect all questions. If they sell their product in the stores/online why do they only cover what comes from a vet? Meanwhile my Maine Coon has a heart problem/diabetics, and now I am worried that with the fleas and ticks this will kill him. Thanks Frontline, maybe your CEO needs a bonus for every animal they harm.

Frontline Company Information