1.12/5
Based on 33 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

313 Frontline Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 4, 2018

I gave my dog Frontline Plus (5 to 22 lbs) and approx. 10 days later I had her groomed. The groomer said he had a lot of fleas. I live in Florida and talked to my vet about Frontline not working. I may have to also use Sentinel (expensive) with Frontline Plus. I have used Frontline Plus last year this time and it worked fine. I also used it on my other dog before he passed and no problems. I do not know if it has merit but the owner of a kennel told me on July 3, 2018 that Frontline Plus no longer works. She said it use to work on their dogs for 2 months, not any more. I decided to purchase PetArmor cheaper & has same ingredients and purchased Lavender spray & Natural Flea & Tick spray with Peppermint Oil & Eugenol. I now bath her with Flea & tick shampoo. I really liked Frontline Plus, less for me to do. Thanks for your time in this matter. Happy 4th of July 2018!

Original review: June 28, 2018

On Friday 22 June 2018 I put Frontline Plus on my 20 year old much beloved pussycat. On Saturday 23 June he became lethargic, shivered, threw up and began to lose large clots of fur where the Frontline had been place on his back at the base of his neck. One drop had fallen on his head, and that fur also began to come out. We became very concerned and call our vet and made an appointment. On 26 June the vet came, and examined our cat. She gave him a steroid shot, and started him on an antibiotic.

On 27 June I called Merial, Inc. the company that markets Frontline. I was routed to a woman, and it was much like having a conversation with a robot. It was immediately obvious that mine was not her first call on this subject. She asked me if our cat had become lethargic? Had he vomited? How long was it from putting on the medicine to his fur falling out. When I answered her questions she immediately gave me a case number, and went into her patter. I told her I had pictures, and I was pretty sure our vet would write a diagnostic report. Her response was, "We have protocols for that," "So you will have to do what you think best." "Without the receipt and lot number however, I am afraid we will not be able to do anything."

I told her we had purchased the Frontline early in the Fall of the previous year and asked her if she had every one of her grocery store receipts from nine months ago. She said, she didn't make the regulations, which I assured her I understood, and that there was nothing personal in what I was saying. She reiterated that without the receipt she could not proceed. Shortly after that I got a $301 invoice from the vet. All I can say is that if you have a beloved pussycat companion, avoid this product like a plague.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: June 9, 2018

Have used Frontline for several years as my one dog had a bad reaction to Hartz. This year used as directed and my small dog had a flea infestation and hotspot reaction resulting in a $200 vet bill. The vet tells me she has seen several cases and Frontline just doesn’t seem to be working anymore. I was two months into a six month supply. Customer service requires a receipt and then tells you they guarantee the product only if you have been using for 3 months. Never using again. Too expensive and they don’t stand behind their product.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

I am writing this review as a few times we have used Frontline on our wee dog and it has not worked as stated. We have had to repeat the process a couple of times not long after the first treatment. This should not have to be done. We have followed instructions closely to no avail. Very disappointed as this product claims it works and does not. Wasted money and agony to our pet.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2017

I bought a three month supply of Frontline for my pet. After two weeks he was scratching again so I bathe him and put on another supply and two weeks later he is still scratching and there still fleas he was infested or anything. They just don’t repel fleas and this product is extremely expensive to not work.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Frontline?

Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I have been using various flea meds on my Jack Russell mix with no great results. This last attempt was with Frontline Plus for the last two months. The treatment seems to work for about a week, and then by the end of the second week, the dog needs to be treated again. Which is a problem because they say you shouldn't treat them more than once in 30 days. I'm afraid of the oral treatments but I may have to go that route next January.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2017

I wish I could give "0" stars on this product, but, to give review, you have to have at least one star. Used Frontline Gold for cats on all of our cats and did all the requirements to get rid of fleas and their eggs, throughout the house. 2 months later, still seeing fleas on my furbabies and they are driving them nuts! They have scratched to the point they have little to no hair around their necks. I don't know why or what is wrong with the Frontline Gold, but, I am definitely switching to a different brand.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I have 3 cats, two totally indoor cats, one indoor/outdoor cat. My cats have been on Frontline since I got them (One 12 years, one 4 years, one a year) starting about June I noticed the indoor/outdoor cat (Maine Coon) was covered in ticks. Immediately I combed him/dipped him and cleaned him off. He was on Frontline which is suppose to stop flea/ticks but figure maybe it was a really bad summer.

Kept on treating him, kept on putting the Frontline on. He still was covered. Yesterday found a tick on his throat that was attached to him. Removed it, but now going to order the collars because Frontline does not work, and when you call the company you can tell the customer service representatives don't care, and was told to deflect all questions. If they sell their product in the stores/online why do they only cover what comes from a vet? Meanwhile my Maine Coon has a heart problem/diabetics, and now I am worried that with the fleas and ticks this will kill him. Thanks Frontline, maybe your CEO needs a bonus for every animal they harm.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I started using this for my cat when his last flea medicine was too strong and making him sick. At first it seemed ok. But the longer we used the more immune he has gotten to it. He now has tapeworms from fleas because of this product. NOT working. This is the second bout of this we have been through. The flea medicine doesn't work. He gets fleas. He then gets the parasite from grooming and biting fleas. A vicious circle. I get the medicine through the mail 3 months at a time. Well it is a terrible product. Do not buy it. Now I have to make another visit to the Vet which he hates and start all over again. This medicine is going in the trash... Time for something that works. I am very frustrated.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Well I actually heard good things about this product, and then I tried it on my dog and had a nightmare. My Siberian husky now has a huge sore on her neck from where I applied the medicine. Had to go to the vet, shave her, and will attempt to try other meds and hope it works. Oh not to mention even though she's enduring pain from applying it, it didn't take any of the fleas away. She has bites all over her belly. I only bought one box. Will never buy another and will now try to heal my dog's wound.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Purchased a 6-pack of Frontline Plus for cats at Costco. Applied product to my cats on the date purchased. Eight days later my cat had ticks - five which I pulled out, another one was so engorged it fell onto floor (gross). I normally use Revolution but was looking for tick prevention which Revolution doesn't have. Frontline Plus did not prevent ticks or kill ticks on my cat. I called company and was on hold for too long so I returned unused portions to Costco. I love Costco and Revolution but will never purchase Frontline Plus again. Doesn't work!!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

Frontline Plus - 6 months of useless product. Did all the peripheral care, insecticide growth regulator spray, diatomaceous earth, natural products (essential oils), vacuuming, washing... etc... All it did was give my dog the **. Still crawling with fleas. Fleas have developed resistance to this product. Be nice if the company admitted it and pulled this product off the market. Do not waste your money. Advantix is the same situation.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

I've gone through 6 boxes of Frontline Plus for dogs. I have 2 dogs, a Shih Tzu and a Boxer, so I had to buy 2 different sizes and went through 3 boxes per dog over the past few months. Not 3 doses, 3 BOXES. This stuff doesn't work AT ALL. I have laminate wood flooring throughout my entire house. My dogs are mostly inside dogs and they are INFESTED with fleas. I'd even go as far as to say that the Frontline is actually attracting MORE fleas. How do I go to a trusted company for flea relief. Use the medicine and get zero relief. My dogs did NOT have fleas like this when we 1st started. I can put a treatment on my dog and within a week he's infested still. Your product is crap and I wasted too much money on this to not work at all. Don't waste your time or your money or risk your dog's health. Frontline will not work! They're a scam!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

The product (Frontline Plus for Cats) used to be great but since being bought out in Jan '17 the product no longer works at all. You can't contact the company and they don't stand behind their product. Save your money and buy a less expensive treatment that actually works. They just don't care!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I purchased 1-3 pack of Frontline Plus for my small dog, my big dog and my cat with great regret. I keep flea medication on my pets year round but I usually buy Pet Armor and it works great. They were out of Pet Armor so I spent more money and purchased frontline and I have fleas coming out of the ying yang. I called the company and told them I have used a 2 month supply so far and I have fleas which I have not seen in at least 10 years by using Pet Armor. I have no carpet and I have thoroughly cleaned my house and washed all the linens to no relief. The company was very unsympathetic, did not offer me a refund or replacement and said it takes three months before it works. Their excuses are lame and I will check every product I use and make sure it is not made by Merial, Inc. Their products suck along with their lack of concern. I can see their only concern is taking money and giving water in return.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I am going through a major flea infestation right now. Found flea larvae under a chair cushion and see many eggs. I sweep every other day with an Electrolux, treat with Frontline Gold for 4 months, spray a can of black flag for fleas and ticks and two can of knock out all to no avail. My big cat has pulled most of his fur out on his back and underarms. You can't even touch him. My female cat looks fine but is crawling with fleas also. I finally have had enough. Frontline may be giving me my three hundred dollars or so back. Thank you. I am now a using Revolution and 24 to 36 hours later the fleas are dropping off dead. It's gross but I am so happy. It has been four months of hell with these blood sucking creatures. THANK YOU REVOLUTION.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

Never had fleas before, but always use preventative. As soon as I applied Frontline on my APBT mix he broke out in hives and rash all over his body, still has problems now from the reaction with hair loss and eczema! Not going to use this product again.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

I have 3 in/outdoor cats & 2 small dogs that only go out in our side yard to potty. One of our cats has a severe flea allergy that causes him to break out in painful scabs, so I keep flea meds on them all year. I normally buy Advantage but Petco was out of product for cats, so I decided to try out FL+ on all our cats to see if maybe it would as well as Advantage. I bought a 3mo supply of FL+ for the cats & Advantage 2 for the dogs & applied exactly as directed. It's as though I have not put anything on the cats. My cat with the flea allergy has to go in tomorrow for an injection because this product is crap. It's bad enough FL+ cost much more than Advantage, but now I have to pay for a vet visit & injection. To make matters worse, he can't have another flea treatment for nearly two weeks because he was treated with FL+ on September 16 (It's October 5 today).

I do not recommend buying this product unless you have money to blow & or you don't care if your pet suffers from flea infestation. If I could give zero stars, that's what I'd give because that's what this product deserves. UPDATE: After speaking with our vet, he informed me that the maker of Frontline let the patent expire on the active ingredient used in FL. The reason for this because cats have become immune to it. Many of the cheaper brands of flea treatment such as Pet Armor & some pet store brands have the same active ingredient that FL does. They continue to sell Frontline because people still buy it. He recommends Advantage Multi for cats. It's only available at a vet. He said Frontline for dogs still seems to work for treating fleas & ticks. I hope this information will be helpful to those who are wanting to find out which products work best to control fleas/ticks on their pets.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I am extremely disappointed with the product quality and lack of consumer care by Frontline. I raised a concern with them since treating both my cat and dog to their Frontline Plus monthly treatment which made both my pets physically sick and the fleas remained on them. The response I received from them was that my house was infested and I should hoover 'more often'. It was an insult. My main concern was the well being of my pets health having suffered physical side effects from administering what should be a simple flea/tick prevention. They were due to investigate this with my Vet but I have since heard no more from them. I will NEVER use their treatment/products again nor would I ever recommend them! I know of several others who have experienced the same suffering with their dogs when applying this treatment so there is clearly an issue that needs investigating and looking into yet I feel this has not been taken seriously by Frontline.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

Treated my 3 cats with Frontline Gold and it absolutely did NO GOOD. I checked and found a flea right where I put the Frontline, what did you folks do with your solution??? Fix it 'cause this stuff does not work!!! Now I'm going to get Advantage and use it right away, the fleas eat that stuff up like a big dinner... Pretty disappointed with you right now and you should send me my $55.00 back... I just treated them 9/24/17 and I see on the box tab 2/17 is that the expiration date? If it is then it probably was outdated too. Signed Not a Happy Camper!!!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

I purchased Frontline Plus, used for months and my animals were not getting relief. I used products for the house, washed all bedding and still fleas. So my neighbor suggested Advantage 2. I used it and immediately my dogs and cats found relief... my cash funds ran low so I had to use my CareCredit credit card at the vet to purchase. What they sold Frontline Gold and lo and behold back to the same problem - fleas and my animals no relief. My small dog who sleeps in the bed itches all night. It's ridiculous I spend 135.00 on a product that does not deliver on what it claims to do.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

Got a new cat in January and immediately started him on Frontline, as I have with my previous cats. I buy it in three-month packs from my local Pet World at $53.00 per pack. I apply the treatment scrupulously on the first day of every month. At the end of July, I noticed a couple of fleas on the cat. After the August application, he was soon covered in fleas. The house is now infested. I had to get a prescription from the vet ($70.00 in visit fees), and I’m looking at hefty fumigation fees for the house. I contacted Frontline and was told that I could not get a refund unless I had purchased the product from a veterinarian. This is not inexpensive stuff! Unfortunately, I tossed the receipt, never having had problems before. Perhaps it’s time for a class action lawsuit against Frontline.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

I have used Frontline for years on both my inside Cat and outside Dog. And it worked Flawlessly Great. All that changed when Department stores started selling Frontline. Now if you use Frontline your animals have fleas, and your house has Fleas. I believe now that they are not Veterinarian exclusive. They stopped using or cut back their main ingredient. Either way I don't use Frontline anymore and I don't recommend it.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I have been using Frontline year round for almost 12 years on my two dogs, they have never had 1 flea on them. Now I need to get more and can't find it anywhere here where I live. I treat my dogs every month even thru the winter.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I have religiously used Frontline for my pets for many years. I have not had a problem until this year. I apply it on time every single month. I change to Frontline Gold for the past 3 months. My dog had been itching but I assumed it was dry skin because how on earth could be fleas. I took him in for grooming and they found fleas on him they asked what product I use. When I said Frontline, they said yes there's a problem with Frontline this year given the weather conditions that we've experienced and the amount of fleas that are out there. Said all the pets that have come in that unexpectedly had fleas they noticed a trend that the owners were using Frontline. They suggested that I use a different product. My dog was given a special flea bath and I treated my house. Should also mention that I have a quarterly pest control service for my property which includes treating the yard for fleas, spiders, ants, etc.

I called Frontline today given they are supposed to guarantee their product. She asked me numerous questions and instantly tried to blame it on me allowing the dog to go to the bathroom outside. She said you can see fleas on the dog and they all die within 30 minutes to 12 hours so just seeing a flea on the dog does not mean it's not working. She finally came around to saying that yes we guarantee our product and if I send in the balance of what I have plus detailed itemized receipt they would provide a refund. As I said, and I told her, I have use this product for years without issue why would I keep the receipt? I was three months into a six-month pack.

I guarantee I won't use this product anymore not only because of its ineffectiveness but their apparent lack of interest in backing their product. Her comment to me was we've not had any bad batches and that's not the problem. Well yes apparently there's a problem especially now that I'm looking at all these other reviews! Truly disappointed...

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

A month ago I found 2 fleas on my 12-pound dog. TWO FLEAS. I immediately bought Frontline Plus from my vet and applied it carefully and exactly as directed. Now, 30 days later, dozens of fleas are all over my dog. I was annoyed & thinking it was a bad batch... Until I read the earlier reviews here and now I'm just glad that she's not dead from it. NEVER USE FRONTLINE PLUS!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

So, I have been a Frontline fan from the time I was younger with my first dog, worked great! That being said, we automatically used it for our GSD Shadow. We have always followed the instructions to the T, applied it on time and also our vet recommended putting it on her while she was still dirty because the dog's natural oils help spread the topical meds more efficiently. This summer was a different story. It was about a week before her next dose of Frontline Plus, we were on the floor with our children and my little girl says, "Mom! A little bug!" I looked and it was jumping everywhere. I was like wait, hold the phone! Is that a flea!?! In my house?! Shadow isn't due for her meds yet... I was confused. Why on God's green earth would my dog have a flea on her if she is religiously on her meds?! So I checked her, she was covered in fleas! What does that mean? We have an infestation!!! How could we get an infestation if she is treated?

So we applied her next dose a week early thinking we could get this nipped in the bud fast, treated our house and yard. But I noticed something different, she was still covered In Fleas! I haven't seen one dead flea on her at all! I am so upset that this happened. It shouldn't have, she was treated! It's not like we let the infestation start then put it on her, she was already on her meds for a year when this happened. We spent a lot of money on this stuff. Now we have to spend money we don't have and use harmful chemicals around my little babies because of this!

I will never recommend this brand to anyone again, honestly I will tell everyone I know how terrible it is and how it doesn't work at all! Talked to my vet and she said she has noticed that fleas and ticks have built up a resistance to Frontline products and she recommended another trusted flea medicine. I really hope you get discontinued, you shouldn't put claims on things that aren't true. Stop lying to people and charging them for a product that doesn't work!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

Frontline Plus - Bought 2 boxes for my dogs for flea control. It is not working and both dogs are full of fleas. We bombed the house & the backyard and they still have fleas. I called to complain to Frontline customer service and she said new fleas can jump on anytime and they will not die. Okay why does it say it works for 30 days killing fleas, ticks, eggs, larvae, etc. Wasted almost $100 on stuff that does not work. I will never buy this product again because it does not work.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

I have 6 indoor-only cats. There are no other animals in my home. In June I noticed evidence of fleas on a couple of the cats. My vet recommended treating all of the cats with Frontline Gold. I purchased a 3 month supply from my vet on June 15 for a total cost of $330.72. The treatment was applied to all cats on June 15 and July 15. By August 1 I was finding adult fleas on the cats. I scheduled another appointment with my vet. She concluded that the Frontline Gold was not working and that I should purchase another brand of flea treatment from a pet supply store. She also recommended that I discontinue use of the Frontline product and contact Frontline about their satisfaction guarantee.

The guarantee is worthless. They offered to send more Frontline Gold at no cost (the product doesn't work -- why do I want more?) or provide the services of Terminix. (I have a contract with Orkin to treat my home for insects and other pests. I don't need another exterminator.) I am buying another product that will hopefully work. What I want is a refund for the product that doesn't work.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

I purchased this product and expected it to work. When I call asking for refund due to the lack of the product working, they would not refund unless I had purchased from a vet. Since I purchased from Walmart then the satisfaction guarantee did not apply. However if I had used all the product for 3 months I might have qualified for a refund. In the meantime my poor dog suffers with fleas all over his face as well as the rest of his body after using this product. The representative stated that the product helped control the home more than keeping the fleas off the dog. What a scam...

Frontline Company Information