Find a Pet Care partner

Find affordable pet supplies

Shop now on BudgetPetCare

Visit Website

Frontline Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Frontline?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Frontline?

Original review: Aug. 21, 2020

This is 3 days after the second application, the first application was 30 days ago and this morning I removed 6 more ticks. I removed 12 yesterday. I did not know or suspect any insect infestation on the dog until I cut her hair. The complaint desk tried to up-sale me onto Nexgard which requires a veterinarian prescription. They will refund purchase price if I have proof of purchase. I will replace the bed and use a valid tick insecticide on the downstairs.

Original review: July 24, 2020

I had 2 dogs. I just lost one of them who to chronic seizures this year as of April that led to paralysis and brain damage even though he was on seizure meds prescribed by a vet. My other dog also had 1 seizure a day after an application. Both dogs had been on the meds for a few years. Their seizures tended to happen just a day or two after Frontline Plus application. My vet took my existing dog off Frontline and Heartgard immediately. I believe some dogs' systems do not dissipate these chemicals over the course of a month resulting in a toxic buildup. These meds are - you guessed it - neurotoxins. Am heartbroken over my recent loss of the sweetest rescue I've ever had. Will never use these products again.

Original review: July 16, 2020

I’ve had cats for 55 years. I currently have a 10yr cat and a very young pregnant cat. (Lockdown delayed vet appointment then she flew out the door and returned pregnant.) We’re otherwise responsible pet owners! Years ago my vet used Frontline on my 3yr Italian Greyhound who from the next day forward had grand mal seizures 6-7 times a month but the vet of 50+ yrs said he’d never heard of that happening. I always felt then but I’m even more certain now after giving Frontline to our 2 cats 2 weeks ago - this product is dangerous to many animals and should have been taken off the market long ago!

This month I chose FRONTLINE over Advantage for our cats because FRONTLINE states that it is safe for pregnant cats and even kittens 2 weeks+ But it’s NOT. That same night our pregnant cat began horrible coughing, honking and choking sounds that woke us all up and this lasted several days. She now has Heavy rattled breathing. I don’t even know what effect this has had on the kittens inside her. Our older cat, an extremely sharp and active cat suddenly just seemed dumb, acting much much older and frail, hissing at us, not moving much and very slowly when she did. She’s always so healthy!

3 days ago I found her flat on the floor of our screened in deck - back wet and ants crawling all over this wet spot - this is the same spot between the shoulders where I released the Frontline. On Closer inspection and cleaning I saw she has a huge abscess oozing yellow fluid. Every day 3X a day we clean and flush the open wound with antibiotics and dressed it while it just drains continuously, more than you want to know. Only tonight has it subsided a bit and she’s begun eating a few bites of food but she still won’t move unless I stand her up and she just sleeps.

If we hadn’t lost our income due to Covid coinciding with my daughter's 1st yr college tuition due this month and next, (that we no longer know how to pay) I would certainly take them both straight to the vet. I read estimates of $300-$400 to begin treatment for this. This very IRRESPONSIBLE company has contributed to an already difficult time by harming innocent animals who become our family members. How do we hold them accountable for not being forthcoming of these risks?? I want to do more than complain - I want them to answer to this!

Original review: June 26, 2020

I asked my roommate to pick up some Frontline after he let the cats out and they came back with fleas. He drops the packages on my desk and helps me apply the treatments to four cats. Within ten minutes, one of my creatures isn't acting right. Ten minutes later, she's agitated and panting. She's already lost interest in playing, is running around, and panting furiously. Oh no...

I google Frontline side effects... nothing here makes sense. I check the label. Google Hartz and am shocked to see all the one-star reviews and stories. Oh god oh god oh god! Instead of a restful evening with some slightly annoyed cats, I'm giving four cats the most through bath they've ever gotten and hoping they don't die. After cat two, cat three was showing signs of lethargy. I'm checking with a vet to see if they should get activated charcoal treatments. Why is this product still available?! This is criminal! There should be a class action lawsuit for the damage this company has done.

Original review: March 28, 2020

Applicator difficult. I currently have 4 cats, and have had cats for about 40 years. I have always used Frontline. However, I will no longer use it, due to the package being so difficult to open. When they began using the new packaging, I was not satisfied and continue to not be! It is too difficult to open. I will no longer use it!!

Original review: March 12, 2020

Sunday March 8th 2020 I administered Feline Frontline to my Cat who was 15 pounds and 10 years old. Monday March 9th 2020 I came home from work and found him lying in my bedroom floor having seizures. My husband and I wrapped him in a towel and started our way to the emergency vet. Before we made it to the end of our road we live on my beloved passed away. We adopted him when he was two years old. He was only an indoor cat and had just had a healthy checkup at the vet. I cannot honestly say that Front-Line caused his death but it is ironic. Kitty Heaven is he.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2020

Carey - 8 years old - mixed breed - 35 lbs. We applied Frontline Gold for the first time ever to our dog on 01/16/20. Within 5 hours she would randomly scream out in pain/because she was scared and jump into our arms. At the time we thought maybe she hurt her leg or back and would touch her spine, rotate her legs, etc. without finding any indication of soreness anywhere on her body. This would happen sporadically on Friday and Saturday. By Saturday evening, it was happening more frequently. And at this point we realized that our dog was having mild seizures. She was not losing consciousness, but she would cry out/get this look about her and then burrow into us and her whole little body would tense up, she would lick her lips (salivating), and stretch out her neck and put her head high into the air.

We took her to the emergency vet and they have since started her on seizure medication and a sedative for now because she is absolutely terrified when one starts to come on. Secondly, she is spending the day at her primary vet receiving fluids and staying under observation - and we will do this again tomorrow. Her behavior is different - she is very clingy - and she has tremors constantly. We feel completely helpless.

Carey was in perfect health prior to application of the Frontline Gold and nothing else has changed in her routine other than that. Frontline refuses to accept ANY responsibility. In fact, when we asked how to get their medication out of her, their only response was to bathe her - which we did 3 times. This medication is so poorly researched that they do not even have a way to reverse it if a dog has a reaction - and that is because according to them, "it is impossible for their product to cause these symptoms."

We are really hoping to wean her off of the seizure meds by the end of the month once the Frontline should be worn off. I really hope she will be able to go back to normal once the poison is out of her body. Frontline should be ashamed of both the fact that they poorly researched this medication/did not provide accurate side effects to the customer, and the fact that they so easily just say it is impossible for their product to cause any of this. DO NOT USE THEIR PRODUCTS. It simply isn’t worth it.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

Frontline Gold was purchased & administered to my cat 12/11 @ vet clinic. Brought in healthy, came home & sneezed for several days, scratched & licked obsessively causing loss of hair, peeling pads and lumps appearing on various parts of body. Cat has lost appetite for food & water and has lost weight. She is in pain, disassociating any human contact, constantly sleeping in secluded, dark places in home. Fearing her death, took back to vet for help. Paid $330 for bloodwork (CBC) to check for liver &/or kidney maladies; ruled out all fatal cat diseases; rec’d skin scrape 2, ** 80 mg/ml injection; provided ** .3 for pain maintenance.

Problems arose soon after arriving home. It’s been 2 wks (since12/11) and no “cure” in sight. I empathize w/ every complaint registered on Frontline products manufactured in recent years. Hefty price to pay for expected product quality - to suffer w/ pet owners trying to receive a harmless remedy for flea extermination - some of whom have loved & lost their pets.

I have yet to feel confident my Skye will survive this “poison”, and believe many more will complain. Every review I have read and all of them share commonality. Nothing changes until concern and affirmative action is taken. Hope you can assist all of us. There shouldn’t be this many 1-star complaints encompassing several states, age/gender and probable ethnic differences.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

My cat is an older indoor feline and only goes out occasionally on the front porch. I have been treating him with Frontline Gold and called the vet because it does not seem to be working. He said I can give to him 2 times a month instead of once and that seems to be working a bit better. I do think the fleas build a resistance to these meds, only wish they were a bit cheaper since they seem to take so long to start working.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019
I’m just gonna try to make this as quick and concise as possible. I bought this product, used it on three of my cats. Two of them were sick, and now one of them is dead. So, do something about it ‘cause I bought your product, and now I killed my pets. This is ridiculous. I need more than reimbursement. So, I’d like to hear back.
Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

Their money back guarantee is a joke!!! I purchased a 6 dose Frontline Plus for my dogs. After 10 days there was no change or relief. Treated them with another dose. It got worse. I went back and purchased ** and saw a noticeable change within 48 hours. I called to express my concerns. I was told in order for the money back guarantee I had to treat for 3 months. My dog was bleeding in spots from the chewing/scratching. I was NOT subjecting her to that for 3 months when it was clear that after one month your treatment was not working. I was just told by one of your representatives (reading from a script) that how your product works is that it kills adult fleas and keeps females from laying more eggs.

I am shocked you have not been sued for false advertising. I am looking at my box right now and is clearly states it kills fleas, flea eggs and larvae. That is NOT what I was just told. I was told I would continue to see fleas for 30+ days because the eggs that were already laid would hatch and NOT until they bit my dog would they die. THAT IS NOT WHAT YOUR BOX SAYS!!! I spent almost $70 dollars on this treatment for it to not work and be given the run around when asking for your money back guarantee. I will definitely post a review wherever I can warning people about your product and your horrible customer service. You better change the labeling on your box as to not tell people your product kills flea eggs and larvae when your reps are telling people otherwise over the phone!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

I have treated my 4 cats over 4 months & continue to find fleas. We have followed protocols for flea treatment of our home as recommended by our vet. Seresto collars seem better, but they cause scratching & hair loss at neck. I will admit the collars seem to be more effective, but our vet now is recommending **. I think the fleas are just becoming resistant. These are indoor cats, no less. We are very frustrated & concerned for our fur babies' welfare.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

Started using Frontline Plus 2 years ago. At one stage I was using it every two weeks. It just doesn't work, my 3 cats are infested and so is my house. When I complained to the the company they sent me a questionnaire to fill out - I filled it out and they replied rather flippantly- saying they are picking them up from outside. Before that I was using Advantage but was buying it from the chemist but at £27 for 3 pipettes it was too expensive - but it worked. My cats are 15, 15 and 16 years old and I don't really want to keep stressing them out with fortnightly defleaing, hoovering several times a day and bathing in cat shampoo which they all hate) so I'm now trying Advantage again and getting it a lot cheaper online - hope this works.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

I contacted them to tell them I’ve got fleas for months now and been using product for years. They only try to tell me how to bomb and clean my house. I told them I’m diligent with my Dyson vac and clean every day! They told me to keep using the frontline. It will work. After two ear hematomas and an abscess to my little dog leg I found out he’s suffering from a flea allergy and of course it’s costed me!! Finally the doctor's office told me that Frontline Plus hasn’t worked for a couple years now and they prescribed NexGard which I found is from this same lying company. But I used it because I was desperate and within a week he’s better and stopped shaking his head and scratching. Still to doctor's office told me to use nexgard only as needed (Not monthly) because it isn’t good for your pet.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

I purchased Frontline for my cat, from a Walmart store in Hamilton, NJ. My cat was a very loving cat, very playful, wake me up every morning, and just a part of my family. I applied Frontline on my cat on Thursday night, 10/3/19. On early Monday morning 10/7/19, all of a sudden, my cat's body began to start jumping, flipping, and he started to shake and seizure. His chest began to jump, and his heart began to race extremely fast, and then he died on us. After being in complete shock, an emotional wreck, and angry, I decided to contact Frontline and let them know what their product killed my cat. The person that I spoke to, asked me a few questions, gave me a reference number, and told me that someone will contact me asap.

Today is Friday, 10/11/19, and I have yet to receive a call from anyone. These people have no remorse, or care about our animals, yet they sell these deadly products. We spend our hard earn money, buying these costly products to help our pets, and these products are now killing them. I am totally devastated, and miss my cat so very much. I feel sorry that I didn't try a different Flea and Tick brand this time, because I read a few reviews with concerns about the formula changing, but I just thought that it wasn't true. :-(

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

Bought Frontline plus. It didnt work so I called frontline to complain and the lady on the phone was so rude. Didnt even offer to give me a refund or anything. Dont trust this company. They say 100% guaranteed. That's false.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2019

I have always used Frontline on my dogs and it's done very well, until this year. I feel like I'm wasting my money and my dogs are paying the price. Poor little guys are miserable. I see no decrease in the fleas and I'm trying to find other ways to treat them. I am not getting what I'm paying for! What a disappointment. I will be switching to something else in the future.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

I am going to keep this simple September - 2017 I took my German Shepard to the vet for a routine Blood! He had skin issues. September - 2017 - The blood work came back. Went through it all. Everything all was fine. I Used Frontline. MY DOG HAD SEIZURES and DIED! I never thought of this because this was the only thing different was flea and tick (vet prescribed).

Frontline KILLED my DOG. That was the only thing done differently. Feel free to contact me for any information because this dog was fine when I then you can never forget **. Read everything about flea and tick. It is pesticides. Most is not FDA approved and veterinarians keep giving it out. Two years almost to the day, (IT'S SEPT 2019) and I’m still not over it. My friend was looking up flea and ticks and I came across what is FDA approved and what can happen.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2019

I found ticks on my dog and used Frontline Plus on my dog. It has been over a week, and I pulled two more (attached) ticks off of him last night. This product did not work at all. It was expensive and a complete waste.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

I called the company at 1-800-660-1842 because after 13 years of using Frontline Plus monthly on my 2 older dogs, my dogs have fleas. (I also used this same product on my other dogs for years prior.) Their customer service representative explained to me the life cycle of the flea and how the medicine works multiple times (which I was told that I obviously didn't understand) and the change in weather conditions, as if I'm ignorant and the weather hasn't changed at all in 13 years.

The customer service representative told me I didn't understand the product. She may be right about that, but, even with my ignorance, I have managed to keep the fleas at bay for 13 years! It doesn't keep fleas off (I agree), and they have to bite the animal & may live for 14 hours after that (I also agree)....judging the number of fleas on my dog, he must have just jumped into a bed of fleas & returned to it multiple times just to make sure he was sufficiently covered. I thought I had no reason to check for fleas since he was being treated regularly...so imagine my surprise! The product has a stamp on it saying "satisfaction guaranteed." However, you must prove that you purchased the product & used it for 3 months consecutively. So, do you send them an empty box with a receipt? How do they know you've actually used it?

Not only that, but they also asked for proof of administration over the last 3 months for my 2 dogs & 2 indoor cats (which I can't provide because we haven't had our rescue cat for 3 months yet), and we use a different product for the cat. Surprisingly, our indoor cats do not have fleas, nor do we. Also, I don't always drive to the vet to pick up this particular product since it is readily available at many different locations now. (My vet's office is about 30 minutes away.) I made a road trip to the vet as soon as I determined the dogs were covered & picked up a recommended oral tablet. Magically, the fleas were gone, dead, within a few hours!

I recommended the company check the lot (which she recorded) & offered to send my remaining 2 doses out of 6 to be checked for active medicine (she rejected the offer). They are obviously not concerned whether or not they're selling a quality product or one that MAY have no active medicine or less than the amount listed in the ingredients. Needless to say, I won't be buying that product again. She (the representative) convinced me it was a useless product and a waste of money! (Other information: we live on a few acres of land so there's not close contact with other animals, only occasional animals passing through.)

FYI: Merial is now part of Boehringer Ingelheim. **this is also on their website.** BI is a manufacturer of many human meds --- hopefully they're more concerned about their human consumers than they are their "pets" "New human just brought home FRONTLINE Plus. See ya never, fleas and ticks. #GameChanger" -- this is quote from their website! #yeah, right!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

Frontline just doesnt work. I didn't even see a decrease in the amount of fleas in both my cat or dog. I'm on a very tight budget so to spend $135 on the medicine for it to not work is heartbreaking because I cannot buy another brand until I have saved up the money again. They won't refund. I just can't believe that companies like this can just get away with selling products that don't work, it is disgusting.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

I used Frontline Combo for my dog for over 10 years and I didn't have any problems with fleas or ticks until recently. On the last lot I purchased, less than a week after application I found fleas on my dog. I noticed also that the package design is different and I wonder if maybe this is now produced in China or they changed the formula. This would explain why it's not efficient anymore.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

Adopted a new kitten a year ago, when I took him to the vet to be neutered we discovered he had fleas. I have three other house cats which have never had or been exposed to fleas. Have been treating the kitten and one of my adult cats that the fleas have jumped on since last March with Frontline only to find it is absolutely worthless but quite pricey. The vet sold it to me. I was shocked with the price and find it to be nothing more than a total waste of money. Save yourself the aggravation and money and try a reputable product.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2019

I would not recommend this product to anyone. My poor baby Bella is at the vet 8/24/19. They are keeping her overnight. The medication poisoned her and she is staying at the vet for a couple of days. I pray to God that she makes it. I will never buy this product again and I hope somebody else doesn't. The pain that she is in from the poison in her is horrible. I wouldn't want anyone else's baby to go through this. Thanks for the worse experience Frontline. Melinda Norfolk NY

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

After reading reviews of other pet owners and their dissatisfaction with Frontline I now realize that has been my problem all summer long. I have 2 cats. I have been giving them Frontline monthly for years and never had a flea problem. Now I have a serious flea problem and realize the Frontline hasn't been working. The past two applications almost seemed to be empty when I applied it. Very Disgusted!!! And continue to fight the fleas on my pets and in my house.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2019

I bought Frontline for my 4 cats because the vet stopped selling Vectra. Three weeks have passed and my cats are still suffering from fleas. Frontline It's expensive and it's crap. Don't waste your money. Buy Vectra on Amazon.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

I have never been so disgusted with anything as I am with Frontline Plus! It's expensive and it does NOT work! After treating the yard and house and my dog, the Frontline Plus still did not work! My dog has been suffering with being bitten by fleas. She can't sleep or eat! I am trying Vectra but it's not much better! It's just a money making scam from these companies who claim that their products work. I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT RECOMMEND Frontline Plus! A real WASTE of your time and money! Do yourself and your pet a favor and stay away from the Frontline Plus!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

I have treated all my animals with Frontline. I thought fleas were just extremely bad Last year and this year. I even bought the Seresto collars for the dogs and flea collars for cats. I have treated the yard, treated the house and religiously used Frontline monthly. My poor animals were miserable. I ended at the vet because my one or boy started whining. Turns out Frontline is not working and many people have complained. My dogs attire on Nexguard now and my cats Brevecto. The second day You could tell a difference. My animals are finally getting some rest. It's sad to know they have suffered this long and that I have wasted so much money. I have 3 boxes of unused Frontline here now. I think the company should reimburse for unused portion. Will never buy product again!!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

I have been using this product religiously as directed for 2 years on my cat... It does not work! I apply it as directed every 3 months... My poor kitty is full of flea dirt and fleas... It's all over my house! I applied it 2 weeks ago and with a flea comb, I got tons of fleas off of her! And there is no expiration date on it! I am pissed! Will never buy this product again!!!!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

I used Frontline plus on my two chipoodles. It did nothing. They still had fleas. I called customer service and explain how the product did not work. She told me it was my cat. I told her my cat was also treated but not with Frontline. She told me that I would have to send her a receipt proving that I had my cat treat it and to treat the dogs three more times with Frontline. I told customer service if it did not work once why would I spend the money three more times. She called me a liar about my cat. Not only is the product bad so is the customer service.

Frontline Company Information