1.22/5

42 Zara Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

ZARA is supposedly an international company, but they don’t support their product when crossing borders. I purchased several items in Toronto recently. Two of which did not fit or were sold to me damaged. I didn’t realize this until I got back home to Houston. Attempting to rectify the exchange/refund at my local store I was made aware of their international “policy” of not honoring returns or exchanges. Each country is treated like a separate business and after wasting an hour on the phone with the US and Canadian corporate office I realized I was only hitting a brick wall. ZARA’s clothes are only nice because they are cheap and don’t look half bad for a mall store. I guess you do get what you pay for. You’ve proven your loyalty to me, ZARA, so my loyalty to you will be in the form of no longer gracing your showrooms full of cheap knockoffs.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

1.0 star rating 10/9/2018. Beyond bad! Would rate them -100 if I could. Ordered from Zara online twice: The first time they shipped it almost three weeks after I placed the order, but the real charmer was the second time, when the package didn't arrive and they refused to do anything about it for days. First they said they'll refund me, but since I never got any email confirming that I contacted them again, and oh! Behold - turns out they weren't going to refund me and they wanted to "inquire" the "matter". Then no one reached out to me for 4 days and then they said they sent it again. No tracking number, no courier details, nothing.

When I insisted, they just gave me the tracking number of the package that got lost. I really don't know what to do if this one doesn't arrive. Just lost over $100 and a lot of time on the chat and phone with them. REALLY, SERIOUSLY bad customer service. What's the point in making customers feeling like criminals? As if all people do is buy dresses and then lie about it. Shameful and completely wrong, especially for such a large brand.

Get expert buying tips about Shoes Online delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

NEVER BUY ONLINE FROM ZARA! A week before my holiday departure I bought my holiday clothes online. So far so good. It was a Saturday and online they said that they would deliver on Monday. On Sunday they sent and email asking if I wanted day or evening delivery on Monday - then they sent an email with the courier's tracking number, it did not work. On Monday there was no sign of courier or the goods. On Tuesday evening Zara customers services said they too had a problem with the courier's tracking number too - that they would email them but it would take 24-48 hours to get an answer. Zara personnel did not seem to have any authority beyond sending a 'where is it' email to chase up the couriers - it all felt very hopeless.

The Zara personnel said they would respond when they had a reply from the delivery company - they did not do so. On Thursday I get a message from the courier to say that they tried to deliver which I think is unlikely as we have porters here 24/7. So later on Thursday evening I call Zara customer services again to be told what I can already see on my screen and that is that the delivery will be made sometime between 10 am and 10 pm on Friday. So Zara expect their clients to wait in for 12 hours for a delivery from a courier that ignores the instruction to leave with porters of our block if there is no-one home.

So now I am spitting because I am going on holiday on Saturday morning and I don't have the clothes, so as Zara customer services to cancel the order and refund the money as we are within the 14 days - but no the Zara phone answerer does not have the authority to do this but they can get a call back within 48 hours from a manager. So now I am looking down the barrel of going on holiday with no clothes because a) I have no confidence Zara's courier will deliver tomorrow and b) I can't get a refund in time to go and get some clothes tomorrow because the callback time is 48 hours.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

Unapologetic for an unreasonable delay of my order, never received a tracking number as the confirmation email stated, my package was lost & the customer service was unable to timely resolve the issue. I had to contact the courier Columbus myself to try to get to the bottom of the issue. What an ordeal!! Never ever again.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

Two months after receiving confirmation from ZARA about a return, they still have not refunded my credit card. Multiple calls to customer service with empty promises. They are the WORSE. Chat site is worthless. After spending 30 minutes chatting and answering questions they said it would take 3 days to investigate. Phone calls to customer service area a joke. They tell me the refund will show up in a few days. This has been going on for 2 months. Another time they did not send me the items I ordered but charged me for them anyway. What a joke it was trying to get reimbursed for their error. BEWARE!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Zara?

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I returned 8 items to Zara warehouse but was only giving refund to 6 items. Contacted Zara customer care and they said it will take 24-48 hrs to process my refund request. 2 weeks goes by and nothing happened. Contacted them again and they ask what items I return and what was not refunded again and ask me to wait another 24-48 hrs and promise they will contact. Another week goes by I received nothing. The 3rd time I contact, they insist the warehouse they did not receive the return and was unwilling to refund. This happened to my friend too, which in both of our case is the most expensive items in the return that wasn't refund. I'm not sure if Zara was doing this on purpose or their warehouse workers are stealing things.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

As I write this, my whole transaction is not complete; however, my experience has been great! I contacted them about a faulty backpack and the immediate response was a refund/replacement. I cannot complain. When I called, the woman told me to go through their online chat to send pictures. As soon as I did that, they contacted me the same day with how I needed to go about returning the backpack to them. They took care of my issue ASAP and I would not hesitate to do business with them again. A++.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

CUSTOMER SERVICE SUCKS. And the return policy in general. I had a shirt from Zara that I wore 3 times, and after the third time the deodorant I wore must have messed with the dye, so there was huge stains under the arms. OBVIOUSLY not going to wear that again. I asked customer service just to send me a new shirt and I would send them the old one back. It was like $35 dollars, and I'm sure it only cost them less than $5 to make. I'm SURE they can afford to send a new shirt and maybe update their materials and dyes to a little bit nicer quality. Everything there is overpriced for the quality. Not shopping there ever again.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

Horrible customer service!!! There is a BIG hole on a dress I bought last month. The dress was not worn, not washed and with tag on it. I emailed customer service chat 3 times with 4 images they requested, showing the tag, the full picture of the dress and the defect area. They refused to accept the return!!! Shame on you, Zara!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I would like to start by saying that I was a retail manager for 5 years, I understand what it means to toe the line between excellent customer service and company policies. It's difficult to please everyone. With that experience, I usually am certain about an item before buying to reduce the returns/exchange frustrations and if I am iffy about an item I will keep my receipt and tags on just in case.

I bought a few items in the winter sale this past year and there were a few of them that ripped/tore after the first or second wear. I thought, no big deal, I paid sale price for them and didn't keep my receipt. I'll repair them even though they are subpar quality because I didn't keep the tags and receipt. Last week I bought a pair of trousers I tried on and knew that I liked. I took them home, removed the tags and threw away the receipt. I wore them and was pretty happy with them but one of the legs kept twisting and was slightly tighter than the other. I thought the issue was me, so I ignored it. After all, I threw away the receipt and was wearing them so nothing I could do now.

However, I went to wear them for the second time (this is before I had washed them at all) and one of the back pockets had ripped and the seam on the other pocket started to come apart as well. I figured with a defective item, no matter if you had the receipt or not (I still have the card I purchased on and can provide bank statement proof of purchase) that I would be able to get a refund. Normally I would also accept an exchange if that's the company's policy, but this was the third item that I purchased and wore once before it started to come apart, so I was pretty annoyed with the downhill quality of Zara's items.

The first person at the store I spoke to said nothing can be done without a receipt, even if it's defective. So I asked to speak to a manager who repeated the same thing. It is incredibly UNCOMMON to not be able to look up transaction history with the purchase card, so not being able to return without a receipt is just downright **. I fussed a little (I hated having to pull that upset customer thing that people did to me all the time, but it was pretty out of the ordinary). The manager caved and said he'd "make an exception and allow me to exchange same day but it will be final sale."

I was unhappy at this point because this was the third item I had bought that began falling apart after the first wear. But nonetheless I tried to shop around. Here's where it begins to get even worse. I have extremely low self-esteem and extreme body issues to begin with and when I bought these trousers, they were the only pants in the entire store I tried on that fit me. So making me go back through the store to try on dozens of pants that didn't fit was an incredibly upsetting process for my already weak self-esteem. I felt terrible about myself and disrespected by the staff at this location because they didn't seem to care this was a defective item I had.

When I finally found a pair of shoes and some t-shirts (not trousers which is an item that I needed), I went up to the register to begin the process. The items I chose to exchange were 11 cents less than the worth of the trousers. The manager informed me that I would have to find another item in order to complete the transaction. I told him that I would've bought more but the store had nothing in my size. There were about 4 other items I chose that didn't have my size available. He said "Sorry but you need to spend at least 11 cents." He didn't seem to care that not only did I have a defective item that I didn't want, but the store didn't have my size in the items I wanted in order to exchange this defective product.

What's even worse, is that the employee put a sensor back on the defective pants I was returning, as if they were going to put those pants back out on the floor for someone else to purchase knowing that they were ripped! I said I didn't care about the 11 cents, they can keep it. To which he responded that it would create a register discrepancy and he can't do that. Being a manager at a retail location for 5 years, I know that an 11 cent positive register discrepancy is not a big deal, you just take it out at the end of the night, or better, take out a dime and a penny and leave it on the counter in case someone is short a couple cents at the register later.

They refused to complete my transaction, and I left the store with my defective trousers in hand, crying because I was forced to try on dozens of items that did not fit my body when I was already having body image issues. I didn't eat that night, ashamed of my own body and upset at how I was treated by the staff at the Carlsbad location. I then called the customer service to report the issue, and they just reiterated the exact same thing. They did not seem to care that the item was defective, the store didn't have any items I could exchange it with, and I was treated like a piece of garbage. This behavior is endemic within this company now. I was a lifelong customer and was so excited that this store was opening near me. But now, I will never shop at Zara again because of how I was treated. They made me hate myself in that process. This is the most disgusting customer service I have ever had in my life.

Zara expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Zara was founded in Spain, where its headquarters remain, in 1975. The company is now a part of the Inditex group, the world’s largest apparel retailer. Zara has brick-and-mortar locations worldwide and an online store. The company sells children’s and adult’s clothing and shoes.

• Store locations: Customers can check online to see if the Zara store nearest them has an item in stock. Those who don’t want to wait on delivery can purchase online items in the store.

• Returns: All returns to Zara are free. Unsatisfied customers have one month to return or exchange an item, and they may do so through the mail or in a Zara store.

• Style recommendations: The product page for each shoe on Zara has recommendations for other items to pair with those particular shoes.

• Social media: Zara has active social media pages on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube and Instagram.

• Best for: Zara sells shoes for adults and children and is best for fashion lovers and professionals.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs