2. Shopping
  3. Shoes Online

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.51/5

TOMS Shoes Reviews

Original review: April 16, 2020

I purchased the Spanish Villa Crosshatch linen bow shoes on March 26, 2020. I received these shoes on April 8, 2020. These shoes are extra cute, and comfortable. However, don’t walk in them, as they’re impossible to keep clean. With that said, that’s not why I’m writing this review. Two wears later, the toe and sole are detaching. The binding agent that adheres the sole of the shoe is peeling away; therefore the shoe is coming apart. I wore these shoes twice. Just want to reiterate that. I called customer service this morning. I was instructed by the representative to email warranty@toms.com with my order number, a brief description of the problem with my purchase, and photos. I did as I was instructed.

Shortly after my email was sent, exactly 7 minutes has passed, and I received an email back from Toms warranty department instructing me that “after carefully and closely reviewing the information I submitted, the separation of the shoe is not due to a manufacturer defect, and they will not be replacing them, or refunding me. In 7 minutes, someone made a decision that the quality of their product is fine, and I must have damaged the shoes. Obviously, since I’ve had the shoes for a week, and worn them twice, it’s not due to wear.

I have always supported Toms. I have made many purchases from the company. This is the first pair of shoes I have ever had an issue with. $59.99 wasted, and a company not willing to back up their product, or at least try to make the customer happy. Very disappointed! Not only in the quality of the product, but with customer service, and how quickly I was dismissed.

Original review: April 9, 2020

Purchased a pair of TOMS shoes through Amazon and with minimal wear, they started to come apart. Past 30 days so Amazon had checked out, see reseller. Reseller said, not my problem, take it up with the company who made them. Contacted TOMS and was told, "Sorry, we only stand by our product if you buy it directly from us, not through any of the hundreds of resellers with whom we do business. I won't be purchasing another shoddy product from this company.

Get buying tips about Shoes Online delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2020

I call in about help of placing an order and using a credit to my account. It was silly because I was not able to see my credit when I placed my new order. I call in to ask where is my credit and I was told I had credit on my account I will have to sign in. I signed in and saw credit. I call back and needed help and the lady Doris was so nice but she kept telling me to check out as a guest but I could not. The lady obviously did not know what she was talking about but she end up helping me after I said the credit is in my account. She was patient with me but my patience with her was so thin. It took her forever for her to place my order. After placing my order I realize she put the wrong address which was a horrible experience after she said I can not change my address. Doris is nice but slow and a confusing customer service rep and needs tutoring.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

I purchased 3 pairs of shoes women's size 10 from TOMS: one pair of sandals which fit well, and 2 pairs of the same style dressy casual shoe. I followed their return policy - UPS shipping, contacting them 4 days later to arrange for an exchange to a larger size as instructed on the website. I was informed that I would have to reorder the items, could not exchange. I would not be able to get a store credit or refund until the shoes are received and they have 7-10 WORKING days to evaluate. Basically, it will be at least a month before I know if I am getting the store credit or refund. I will not be ordering shoes from TOMS for now. I love the philosophy, but not the business practice.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2020

I was given Toms Botas as a Christmas gift. I wore the shoes for 5 minutes before I could tell I was getting a blister. One hour and very little walking later I checked my shoes and my entire sock was covered in blood, my shoes were ruined from the large amount of blood, and I had a blister on each heel that was almost the size of my entire heel, it looked like a shark had bitten off my heels. Two weeks later, the blisters still bleed through my socks and are still extremely painful to touch. I emailed Toms customer service and was informed that it was not a manufacturing issue and was therefore not their problem. I will never buy from this company again and I do not recommend that anyone else does either. Toms sucks.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TOMS Shoes?

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

I called into do a gift return and the lady name Doris I spoke to seemed clueless on everything I wanted. I wanted a label to return shoes that were small for my elderly uncle. After explaining myself for 20 minutes she finally understood and put it in but I called back to make sure. I got a woman name Serenity who is RUDE AND JUST MEAN. She answered the call with a horrible attitude and won't let me know if a label was done for me. She was rushing me off the phone like she was to busy.

After trying to see if a label was put in. She said yes and hung up on me. What type of customer service reps do you people hire? I called again just a day ago and end up getting Serenity again which was horrible again. After I send my order back, I'm never ordering again. Serenity never let me talk to manager but I finally did get my label for the men's boots. Once this is over I'm done with Toms. Horrible service. If you want to be a better company. Teach the lady Doris how to understand a customers request and teach Serenity how to pack up her desk items because she was beyond unbearable. I just want my refund and a decent apology.

Resolution response: Jan. 31, 2020

After referring Toms to my online review they agreed to pay for the return of the slippers.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

I ordered a pair of slippers in a size 43 (UK9). All of my shoes are this size (about 30 pairs) but Toms are too small. No problem I thought - I will return and buy the next size up. When I went online to do so I was asked to pay £6 (20% of the cost of the slippers) to return. I called the Customer services line and was told that is simply Toms' policy. Toms is the only online store that I have used that asks for this which is completely unacceptable - particularly in circumstances where it is their fit that is off. I had the next size up in my basket but have decided to cancel my order with Toms altogether and buy a pair of Mahabis instead. I am quite happy to pay for quality but I refuse to accept poor customer service. In this day and age if you hold yourselves out as an online store, you should put some of the profit that you are making from not having to pay rent, rates etc into a free returns policy.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

I ordered 2 pairs of shoes off Tom's.com and they sent me totally wrong pair that wasn't even my size of shoe. Called and the first customer service lady I talked to would not literally shut up for me to explain what happened. She was just reading what I had ordered and I was even charged for the item I never received. This was in November and finally after multiple attempts I finally received my credit back for the item never received. It was an awful experience and after that I do not want to buy another pair of Tom's shoes again.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2020

I ordered and received these boots from Lord and Taylor. I wore the boots approximately 4-5 times. The boot’s seam on right foot ripped open. Retailer agreed to accept returned ripped boots. Still didn’t expect boots from Toms to last less than one week. I don’t think I will recommend Toms products to anyone or purchase Toms products in the future. Feeling disappointed, expected better product and better results for price paid.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2020

I had heard compliments re: the shoes and decided to try a pair, buying directly from the Toms website. I ordered Red Corduroy, which ended up being a salmon/pink color. The insole provides no support. They were on sale, so no opportunity to return. Also, no way to leave feedback on their site. I would not purchase a pair again. So disappointed in both the shoes and the company.

TOMS Shoes author review by ConsumerAffairs

TOMS was founded in 2006 and prides itself on corporate responsibility and giving. TOMS sells men’s, women’s and children’s shoes and accessories online, in TOMS’ store in select locations and through third-party retailers.

• One for One: Through TOMS One for One program, the company donates a pair of shoes to a child in need for each pair of shoes sold. The company makes other donations for non-shoe purchases.

• Exclusives: Although some retailers stock TOMS shoes, several exclusive products are available only when bought directly from the company. These styles are available online and can also be purchased at one of the company’s six brick-and-mortar stores.

• Selection: TOMS stocks standard sizes for all styles. Women’s shoes are available in sizes 5 to 12. The company carries flats, sneakers, boots, clogs, sandals and more.

• Customer service: Consumers can reach a customer service representative by phone or through an online chat. They can also tweet to the company @TOMSsupport, where representatives quickly respond to messages.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team