2.71/5
Based on 45 reviews that contain star ratings

45 TOMS Shoes Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 24, 2019

Don't order gifts from friendly "Toms". My Air Force son did not get his birthday gift. Their agent said my Air Force son's birthday gift was cancelled due to no good reason -- could be supply, address etc. Tom talks nicely but is not customer friendly like LL Bean -- avoid them for gifts. Mike, Retired Air force.

Original review: April 23, 2019

I bought these shoes for walking around. I was heading to Europe and needed some good shoes to walk in. That's what I thought these would be. After a long winter I finally could wear them again. The third time I wore them this spring I noticed a 4-inch tear along the fabric and sole. No shoes should have this significant of a tear when I paid 50 bucks for them.

Then I noticed that the interior fabric had come undone on along the heel and the side of the shoe. I can literally see the inside of the shoe through the tear and shouldn't have to superglue the interior fabric to get it to stay. I talked to customer service but their material defect claims only work for 30 days after the purchase. Also, a pair of Tom's Jutti flats cut my feet at 4 different spots, so badly I now have scars on my ankles. I emailed them and THEY NEVER RESPONDED. Their shoes used to be good, but they have let their quality suffer as their sales increased. I will never be buying a pair of Toms again.

Get expert buying tips about Shoes Online delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 9, 2019

MARCH 26: Order placed. Confirmation email received. MARCH 27: Email received that order has shipped. So far, so good. APRIL 2: Email received with header "Your Order Has Arrived." Included in this email was a summary of the order, a link to return policy details, and a suggestion that if I was unable to find my order, to "check all your doors, porches, decks, mailboxes, and the garage. If you live in an apartment, check your front desk or mailroom." Upon returning home from work, my package is nowhere to be found. When I used the USPS tracking number provided in the email, the delivery status said April 10. Hmm. Then WHY am I getting an email on APRIL 2 that says my order "has arrived"?! Original order never turned up.

APRIL 5: Used TOMS website chat function to describe the situation. They replaced the order with "Second Day Air" shipping via UPS. I asked that the package be delivered to my office this time, which the subsequent confirmation email confirms. APRIL 8: Email received that order has shipped. Great! APRIL 9: Email received from customerservice@toms.com saying that I am to pick up my package at a UPS shipping location 15 MILES AWAY. WHAT?!

I called TOMS to discuss this issue. The feckless employee who answered the phone saying that they shipped the shoes to the requested address but could not tell me why I would have received an email saying that I should pick up the shoes at some UPS shipping location out of town. He repeated that he doesn't work for UPS, but for TOMS. I GOT THE EMAIL FROM TOMS. With TOMS logo and contact information on it. This email came from TOMS. STILL NO SHOES. This is an absolutely absurd way to run logistics and the email communication is exceptionally unclear. Will never order online from TOMS again. Shameful.

Original review: April 2, 2019

I ordered a pair of shoes on a Sunday. As soon as I placed the order, I realized the address I submitted for delivery had autocorrected to an incorrect address. Immediately, I sent a message letting TOMS know. I assumed that because I a.) sent the message right away and b.) sent the message on a weekend before the order was even processed, TOMS would be able to help me change the address. This was not the case.

I sent out another message first thing on Monday and then initiated a chat with a customer service representative. During this conversation, I learned that because the order had already been placed (not processed, mind you, but placed), TOMS would not help me to change the address label. This was frustrating given how quickly I'd reached out to notify TOMS of the mistake, coupled with the fact that the shoes had not even left the building yet. The representative told me to contact USPS directly and see if they could help. It was 9:00 a.m. PST on a Monday and I'd already sent TOMS two messages and had one chat. It became clear that this would be no easy fix (though it certainly seemed like it should be) and in searching for a solution, I was going to have to give up a lot more time.

On my own, I found the contact information for USPS and sent them a message explaining the problem. By Tuesday morning, I had a response from them letting me know that because of the type of delivery service being used, there was nothing they could do from their end and in fact TOMS was requesting that I contact them directly to address the situation.

Once again, I reached out to TOMS and had another chat with a customer service representative. This second chat sounded eerily similar to my first chat and it was apparent everyone was using a script. I explained everything I'd been through so far and how the USPS had said there was nothing they could do on their end. I didn't really feel like I was asking for much — I just wanted my shoes delivered to the correct address. Alas, this representative informed me that there was nothing TOMS would do and I should — wait for it — contact USPS to see if they could help. I reminded the representative that I had already spoken to USPS, who also said they would do nothing to help, and I now felt like I was lost in a perpetual loop of not being helped by anyone. The representative said sorry, nothing we can do. I then asked if I could cancel the order entirely and was informed that it was too late for that as an option too.

I contacted USPS for a second time, explained the entire saga again, and was told again that because of the type of shipping service being used, their hands were tied. At this point I'd gone through so much back-and-forth that I didn't even want the shoes anymore. I reached out to TOMS again and this time, I was informed that I could have my mail redirected through USPS — a service that would cost $14 plus shipping. I'd already paid TOMS once for shipping. Basically I was told that if I wanted me shoes to arrive at the correct address, an address I'd informed TOMS of IMMEDIATELY after placing my order and long before anything was processed on their end, I would need to pay an additional $20, approximately. This was not a solution.

In the end, I ended up having to coordinate with the people at the address where my package was being sent to let them know that something was mistakenly being sent to them on my behalf. I feel lucky that they were so helpful to me (at last, someone was helpful!) and held onto the package for me and let me come pick it up a few days after it arrived. At that point I had very little interest in even wearing these shoes since it had been such an ordeal to receive them, but at least they were finally in my hands. Five messages to TOMs, two chats with customer service representatives, two messages to USPS, and two phone calls to the business where my shoes were ultimately sent is what it took for me to make sure I received my shoes. What a frustrating customer service experience.

Original review: March 7, 2019

Jan 19th - Tried to make a return, yet my purchase was not in my order history. Tried calling, 20+ min wait time each time and would never get someone to answer. So I emailed an inquiry to customer service explaining the situation, it took OVER A MONTH to get back to me. Feb 21st - They said they would waive the 60 policy. I told them they wouldn't have had to do that if they had responded in an appropriate amount of time. Sent in my returns at this time.

March 7th - Return finally received. But I was given STORE CREDIT. Called customer service, did not matter it was their fault. Just kept telling me "it's an automated system" that they can't override. Now I have to wait for my request to be approved to have a refund not store credit. 7-10 business days. Oh and if I don't hear anything (like last time) I should call again. UNACCEPTABLE. I WILL NEVER SHOP HERE AGAIN. NEVER ONCE WAS THERE AN, "I'M SORRY FOR OUR MISTAKE, WE WILL TRY TO FIX THIS."

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TOMS Shoes?

Original review: Feb. 15, 2019

So after having a horrible experience with their customer service in December (would not answer e-mails, phone call hold times over an hour, live chat not working, won't exchange shoes for different sizes, etc.,) I decided to opt out of their mailing list. If you do that, they can't even spell right. They misspelled preferences wrong. Preferences or something egregious like that. I think this company is a scam!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

I purchased a pair of boots that ran small and needed to exchange them. There were no exchange or return instructions but I could create an account to find my order and proceed from there. Once my account was created it couldn't map to my purchase (although a 2015 purchase was shown) so I had to call customer service. For 10 days I never had a wait less than 30 minutes and never reached anyone. I went to the store to exchange but when that was not possible, I asked to return them, but they don't take exchanges or returns at their stores. I mailed them to Toms and received a "store credit". I will never wear Toms shoes again, I will not use that store credit as they now just make me upset. Their shopping model is unlike anyone else in the universe and I am thoroughly unhappy with them. None of these struggles was necessary and I have nothing but bad things to say about my experience with their product and company.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I ordered a pair of shoes from Toms, received them but they were 1/2 size too big so attempted to return them for an exchange. I tried everything I could; their live chat is NEVER available, I e-mailed and never got a response, and tried calling numerous times but the wait times were always over 20 minutes. Finally I decided to stay on the line as long as it took and after about an hour I got someone to answer, but it was horribly staticky. This gentleman told me they do not do exchanges BUT would be happy to order me another pair in the correct size! Uh, no thanks. So I mailed the shoes back and now after reading all of these reviews I wonder if I'll ever get a refund. I have tried calling this week but get a voicemail that says they are "out and will be back tomorrow". So, when is tomorrow? Next month? Wish I had read these reviews before I shelled out over $100 for a pair of shoes.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

This shows that I ordered from Toms.com did not fit and came with no return information or label. It says to call Toms' customer service or email them, and I’ve done both repeatedly spending hours on hold. I need a refund for these useless shoes which I can’t wear. The obfuscation from Toms is to make it impossible to return anything which is wrong and an amoral business practice. I googled them after all this effort and there are countless accounts of how the company tries to make it impossible to return anything. It’s quite outrageous particularly for a company that professes goodwill.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I ordered shoes on Friday November 25th for a Black Friday "deal". Here I am today on December 17th wondering where is my Christmas present at? They make me wait 20 minutes on hold and tell me they were out of stock, my return email went to a junk bin which I religiously check and of course not there. They said this happens a lot during the holiday season and, "Sorry. Have a nice day." I would not recommend buying from them directly or even at all frankly.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I have been purchasing TOMS Shoes for several years and recently experienced problems that required me to contact customer service. What a horrible experience - worst I have EVER had, anywhere. Trying to reach customer service by chat or by phone requires holding on for an hour at a time. I did this twice and still do not have the issue resolved. Have realized that while they may be doing good, there are plenty of other companies that do good work AND have good customer service. Finished with Toms Shoes.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Abysmal customer service! Never again! I had them intercept an order because I didn’t want it after a bad customer service experience. The email telling me that the package was intercepted was on 11/26. They received it back on 11/29. Still no refund as of today 12/11. I called and after 30 min on hold (after multiple unanswered emails) was told that the refund hasn’t been processed yet. According to the rep, it will take another 7-10 days for them to process it and then a week to 10 days for it to clear!!! That is $400 that I won’t be seeing anytime soon! Their hold when you call is ALWAYS upward of 30 min! Absolutely horrible! Where is the value to their customers?

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Be aware if you have any customer service issues it will be days and numerous attempts before there is a resolution. The whole ordeal is very frustrating with over an hour phone hold. The live chat is also difficult. I attempted twice with over 20 minute wait times and no connect. After finally speaking with a representative and explaining that my order was shipped to a person in another state who returned the order to Toms, the representative politely informed that the shoes I had ordered are now out of stock. You might get some, but you just lost one!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I have spent over three hours over two days trying to get a return shipping label. I’ve held on the phone for almost two hours, sent two emails, left a Facebook message, and tried online chat on two occasions AND still have not been able to get my problem addressed, much less solved. Do not order online if there is a chance that you might need to return anything. In today’s world of online shopping, this is a first for me! I’ve never experienced anything like this!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I'm extremely disappointed in TOMS. I refunded an item - that was received by them on 11/1 with your shipping label. I still haven't received a refund over a month later (it's 12/4). I can be patient - I don't mind waiting for my money to be returned. BUT, I emailed in 3 times in the past 3 weeks, and 2 tweets as well - all with 0 response. I finally reached a rep today after waiting 20 minutes for a live chat. She was helpful, and she noticed the refund was never processed. Glad I was able to provide the tracking number, otherwise who knows what would have happened.

It was just a terrible experience all around! That kind of service is totally unacceptable. I love the TOMS brand, but won't be using or recommending them to anyone due to this terrible service. I know it's a busy time of year, but that's not a way to treat your customers. To top it off, I went to take their survey after my Livechat experience, which was fine, and I received an error 3 times - LOL. One of the worst experiences I've had with a company in a long time.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I placed two orders for shoes - received 0 of them. After placing my orders, I signed up for "tracking alerts" on Toms shipping site. I received NO alerts, and also NO shoes. When I logged in and checked where my shoes were, it said "we're updating the information" - but they never asked ME to update anything. It turns out the shoes were sent back to the warehouse because *I* never went into UPS and updated my information (I was never asked to) and because my shoes were part of the "SURPRISE SALE" - TOMS refused to re-ship my order. They were just like, "Woops, too bad." Then Carlos told me he could give me a credit of *wait for it* $6.99 for my troubles. LOL. *AMAZING.* TOMS lost a customer today, which is unfortunate because I loved their shoes. But I cannot give money to these people ever again.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

Horrible customer service from this company. Ordered 2 pair of shoes and unfortunately for me, I did not write down the tracking number. So when they did not come on the day promised, I emailed the company and said I did not have a tracking number but would like to know when they would arrive. I did not received an answer. So the next day I called the 800 number for TOMS and waited 35 minutes before someone answered my call. I talked with a representative for approximately 15 minutes before he found my order and gave me the arrival date for my shoes. The company sent out an email the day before I called for the shipment arrival to announce shoes at 30% off. I asked the representative to honor that sale on the 2 pair I had coming and he would not. This entire experience has been totally ridiculous. Will not be ordering shoes from TOMS ever again.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

Ouch is the only word that I can think of as I'm wearing these shoes. Today is my first day trying them on since I got them in the mail yesterday. It took me an extra 45 minutes to leave the house this morning because it was INCREDIBLY hard to get the shoes on in the first place. Oh boy and they hurt like hell. Didn't make it out the door in these, will be returning immediately. I forgot to mention that these shoes have a shimmery tone to them which is not pictured at all on the website. I was hoping to own these are a causal every day shoe but these shiny shoes seem more like an occasion thing because of the unnecessary glimmer.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I thought I was doing a good thing by buying my shoes from TOMS. Guess what -- good for everyone but the customer! I bought two pairs of shoes for vacation. Both pairs felt a little stiff when I tried them at home, which is the case with lots of TOMS shoes. But they stretch out a bit after wear. The slip-ons did just that. The sandals, not so much. In fact, after wearing them once on vacation, I felt like they were at least a size off. Surely, I'll just tell TOMS and they'll let me return them, right? Nope. I'd worn them, you see. Even though the defect is on their end. If a shoe is marked a size that it's not, that is fraud IMO. Their response? If you scroll down to the next page on their website, there is a small disclaimer that says go up half a size. So, again, it's the customer's fault that your shoes are not made in the correct sizing??? Horrible. To add insult to injury, I was offered a 15 dollar credit!!! Ha. Never again.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I bought a pair of TOMS from a local retailer less than 3 months ago and the inner lining ripped off. Obviously the retailer won't do anything about it after you've worn the shoes and thrown out the receipt, they direct you to the manufacturers. I contacted TOMS and was told that the warranty for a defective product is only for items purchased directly through their site at Toms.com and Toms.ca. I spent $110 on a pair of slippers before tax that are ruined and TOMS does not stand by their products. After the chat, they ask you to fill out a survey and knowing that I was unsatisfied and had zero resolution to my issue, they blocked me from being able to fill the survey. That's absolute crap and the last time I purchase anything TOMS. I'll be sharing my experience with anyone who will listen.

Original review: April 18, 2018

Bought my first pair (bought two actually) because the "one for one" cause. Regardless how uncomfortable the shoes were when I tried them, I would have kept it had they were the right size. But I need a size smaller. I live in Ontario, Canada and the return address is in BC, Canada. I still don't get free return label. That was fine. I was going to order my size once the refund is completed. But to my surprise, when I contacted the customer service, they kept stalling the refund even though it is already been the 7th day since they received it. Every time I called or emailed them, I have to keep repeating myself as if they don't have any recollection of my previous conversations with some of their agents. I am regretting buying anything from them honestly. Great idea for the cause, but poor customer service organization drive clients away.

Original review: March 31, 2018

Here's what happened: "I had a 1st time customer coupon for 15% off and ordered 3 pairs of shoes. I don't free shipping because we're stationed in Hawaii. I wanted 3 pairs to maximize my discount and shipping costs. One pair was sold out and I got an email about it. Phone lines weren't opened, so I emailed and said that I wanted to change to a different pair. No response from your team. Then I get an email saying my other 2 items shipped." I contacted Toms by email saying that "Hey, I want one more pair and I should get the 15% off and free shipping since you couldn't fulfill my order and didn't respond to my emails." Then I get the email saying that once an order has been shipped, it can't be cancelled. So... do you even read your emails? How can you resolve this issue?

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

Both pairs of shoes I ordered were very uncomfortable. My return arrived at the facility exactly 60 days following my order (THE HOLIDAY SPECIAL RETURN POLICY) and they initially failed to give me a full refund. I asked the customer service. The customer representative claimed that the refund processing takes 5-7 days and considering that the refund was issued on the 61st day, I don't qualify for a refund. The policy doesn't mention anything about the processing time and since my items arrived at their warehouse on the 60th day, I should have still qualified for a refund. She finally issued the refund but she called it a "one time courtesy" instead of apologizing for the mistake that happened on their side. She was also very rude and closed the conversation right away before I had time to read the end of her response.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I purchased a pair of these Ashland shoes (Ashland waterproof brown leather wool USA size 10) at the RAF Lakenheath base exchange on 25 Oct 2017 for $135.00. After wearing them for 210 miles (verified on my Strava app) my right heel became very sore. Due to the wear I had put them through, the base would not refund my purchase. They suggested I go through TOMS. I started emailing TOMS UK 7 Dec 2017 about this issue. As it stands now, TOMS UK have not been very helpful. They suggested that they might credited my account. I do not have a TOMS account, all I require is a credit into my VISA debit account.

The shoes have a serious fault with them. Inside the shoes are two pads, an upper pad your feet are in contact with & an inner pad which is next to the sole of the shoe. My heel, after 200 miles, wore through the upper pad & made contact with the inner pad. The inner pad has rivet like bits in them which caused excruciating pain in my right heel.

Updated on 03/05/2018: I originally brought about an issue with my TOMS shoes 1 Jan 2018. I have finally received a reply - "Thank you for contacting TOMS. We are very sorry to hear that you are experiencing an issue with your TOMS product. At this time, we are unable to offer refunds or replacements for purchases made from retailers other than www.TOMS.com or www.TOMS.ca. If you believe that the TOMS you purchased from a retailer are damaged or otherwise show material or manufacturing defects, please contact that retailer directly for assistance with your inquiry." As I said in my original compliant The retailer (RAF Lakenheath UK) could not do anything due to the wear & tear after walking 200 miles (Strava verified). So now I am no better off. I find TOMS a poor excuse for a company.

Original review: June 7, 2017

Toms.com is a website that is easy to navigate. The features are easy to use and understand. The graphics are high quality. The prices are visible, the descriptions are useful, and the reviews are worthwhile. It was easy to place an order and there was a good product selection. I enjoy browsing through the selection. There are shoes for children, women, men, and unisex. The workmanship is impeccable. The package arrived in a timely manner. The shoes are comfortable, trendy and are high quality. The prices are reasonable. The company gives back to the community. Each pair of shoes I buy donates one pair of shoes to a child in need of shoes.

Original review: June 6, 2017

When I bought my TOMS online the process was extremely user friendly and fast. They had so many options to choose from and I appreciated being able to search specifically for one type or style or color of TOMS that I wanted. The pictures were very helpful too. Plus, they are comfortable and go with everything! I like that TOMS give part of the profit from the shoes to those less fortunate. I've been to Haiti and have seen children in the streets wearing worn out clothes but their sweet little feet are protected from the rough terrain by TOMS. They have a solid foundation for not only a profitable business but also a way to help people.

Original review: June 5, 2017

Extremely easy to order and easy payment process. I love the ease in finding what I need. Website layout is clear and friendly. I use it for shoes and I love the shoe designs as well. Such variety! Also - when I have a had a problem, great online customer service. Maybe they could offer specials. But I know that's hard because of the one for one concept. Sunglasses are too expensive for me. I might consider asking that the sunglasses prices be reduced.

Original review: June 4, 2017

I like that the Toms website has a lot of options that are harder to find in the stores that sell Toms shoes. It is easy to find shoes that I like on the Toms website. The purchase was pretty standard in comparison to other online checkouts for other web pages. I did not have any trouble or any problems but the Toms web page would be better if it let you search more easily. It would be cool if you got to find out even more about the one for one.

Original review: June 3, 2017

The TOMS.com page is very easy to search what you want to buy. They are under different type of products. Once you find something you like, all you need to do is click on the picture and you can look up color, size etc. The picture of the website are very nice and eye catching. Sometimes it just nice to search around to see what they are offering even you are not planning to make any purchase. Window shopping could give you ideas what's trending out there. But there are too many products and sometimes it's very hard to pick the color choices of the product. Other than that, they're very professional and the process of purchasing shoes from TOMS.com is very easy since I already bought shoes from them before so I know my size.

Original review: June 2, 2017

I have a very good experience and I am very happy to recommend TOMS.com to my friends and family too. It also has its tastes that are very good as the color of your page has everything well ordered for customers. The color is striking and attractive. It has good products and high quality. Has many things of good brand that is what you are looking for in a page to buy shoes. All the characteristics of TOMS.com are very good. They are of high details that can help others in search of their shoes. The process to buy at TOMS.com is very easy and simple. Its process is fast. TOMS.com has a very close attention to client and has a good way to treat the buyer.

TOMS Shoes expert review by ConsumerAffairs

TOMS was founded in 2006 and prides itself on corporate responsibility and giving. TOMS sells men’s, women’s and children’s shoes and accessories online, in TOMS’ store in select locations and through third-party retailers.

• One for One: Through TOMS One for One program, the company donates a pair of shoes to a child in need for each pair of shoes sold. The company makes other donations for non-shoe purchases.

• Exclusives: Although some retailers stock TOMS shoes, several exclusive products are available only when bought directly from the company. These styles are available online and can also be purchased at one of the company’s six brick-and-mortar stores.

• Selection: TOMS stocks standard sizes for all styles. Women’s shoes are available in sizes 5 to 12. The company carries flats, sneakers, boots, clogs, sandals and more.

• Customer service: Consumers can reach a customer service representative by phone or through an online chat. They can also tweet to the company @TOMSsupport, where representatives quickly respond to messages.

• Best for: TOMS has shoes for adults and children and is best for fashion lovers and busy adults.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs