2.78/5
Based on 37 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

37 Playstation Vue Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

Was a loyal customer of PlayStation VUE for two years until they cancelled us with no prior warning. I decided to try DirecTV Now and am pretty happy with the service. For the same price for the most basic service, I get more channels and HBO. All good! I will never go back to a streaming service that just cancels their customers.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

It’s been a BAD, BAD, BAD service. I hate them because it’s so bad you can’t even watch TV in peace, it will restart almost everyday, keep changing channel line up. Today I have Tampa channel, tomorrow it will be Orlando. I can’t even watch movies that was recorded. I went with this awful company thinking it’s better than cable. What a awful mistake. My son and me decided to cancel this service and we still had about 2 more weeks before it ends and they got worse and worse. This has been a nightmare. Customer service will play stupid when you call. So be aware and good luck. We went back to Verizon Fios.

Get expert buying tips about Streaming Services and Devices delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

You would think that such a large company like this would be able to develop a better app. Shows get interrupted and all you see is a black screen with the channel name & logo. This requires either maneuvering around the app or exiting altogether and reloading the app to continue watching the show. Or, when a show ends while watching live TV, instead of going to commercial and the next show on live TV, I get bumped to the shows DVR screen. Again having to maneuver back to the channel or leaving the app & reloading it. These are just two examples of the frustrating bugs I encounter every day.

I’ve called and gone on live chat with customer service representatives and gotten nowhere. One told me how to clear the cache of the TV, and that helps for a few hours, but then the bugs start again. They are otherwise useless. After reading reviews on multiple sites, it seems I’m not the only one with these problems. And it’s not related to my ISP, modem or router, or internet speed. I stream live TV with Amazon and never have any problems.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

Don’t expect to be able to watch Playstation Vue TV service on Sony Playstation Game Centers. Yes you can use them, but half the time you will have black screens, error codes, false accuses about internet speed, etc. I have fiber optic cable with 100 speed Internet service, all other services (Netflix, Amazon, etc.) work fine in my home, in the same area as the PS4 PRO, with no issues. PlayStation Vue was never good and has gotten worse. The app and service works much better on my iPad; however, I’m not paying $80 a month to watch on my iPad as the main service. It works better on Roku device than the PS4 Pro, the PS4, or an older PS3 but still with inconsistencies. Plain and simple their app/service is horrible. Will be switching soon.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I live in the country but have access to high speed internet. I love Playstation Vue. A lot of people, I think, are trying to win a race with a Prius. I have not experienced an exorbitant amount of freezing or buffering with the Playstation Vue. But I pay extra to have the high speed internet that is necessary for a better experience when streaming video.

I saw someone said they hate that you have to have a Playstation console in order to get it. This is NOT true. We do have a console but we use a computer connected to our other television to get it on there as well. I believe they also made it available on a Roku device. I can even get it on my phone, if I want - including access to our DVR.

If it were totally up to me, I would cut cable all together and just go with OTA digital channels and Netflix. But hubby is addicted to his sports channels. So this is a good compromise with most all the channels at half the price of what we were paying DirecTV (which had a lot of issues with pixelating during storms and we get a lot of them in this area). Does the service have issues or things I think it could improve? Yes, of course. But factoring the price versus what you get, this is a great alternative to traditional cable or satellite providers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PlayStation Vue?

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

We cancel cable TV even if it was cheapest than this crap to get a few more channels. But the constant kickback, freezing, restart and lost time waiting every day, had to restart a lot of times. Of course customer service play stupid like, "Wow. This never happened before." I report the issues but nothing like always. We might go back to cable if this is not fixed soon. This service does not work as state on TV. Like the title says bad, bad, bad. And one more thing, customer service love to play stupid.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

Website lists that “All multi-channel plans" include “Pop” channel. When I could not access the station, I called the service center who said it is a mistake on the website and they would only give me a five dollar voucher even though it’s a false statement on their part. Time to cancel.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

While the overall delivery of the included channels is decent, the constant freezing of the feed gets old. Would give their customer service a poor rating but the problem is that they really don't have customer service.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

[Let me begin by saying I'm a software developer and beta tester so I know how to test and pinpoint technical issues. I have high speed internet (100/25 Mbps) that goes down less than once a month on the average. This problem has NEVER occurred with Netflix or Amazon Prime broadcasts.] I've been using PSVue for a couple of years, and generally am pleased. My biggest issue is broadcasts (recorded and live) freeze on almost a daily basis.

I've contacted tech support, and nothing is ever acknowledge as an issue, or resolved. The freeze lasts for 10-30 seconds, and for the most part resumes by waiting it out, but sometimes it doesn't (then you have to switch channels, and then go back to the one that froze). Something is wrong, and it doesn't seem to be from the broadcaster - NBC, CBS, TNT, etc. In my opinion it's a PSVue (Sony) issue and for me has not been a slow internet issue, as I'm connected via ethernet not WiFi. When will PSVue acknowledge there's an issue and get it resolved?

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

Constant Freezing and restarts and lost time waiting. Today alone, I have had to restart more than a dozen times. I report the issues and am told "thank you for reporting" but nothing changes. Going back to cable if this is not fixed soon. This service does not work as stated. Piss Poor Customer Service.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

My wife, Kate, and I really wanted PS Vue to work. We downloaded the app, purchased a Chromecast ultra and even have a PS4. Unfortunately, the viewing experience on the Vue (streaming and thru PS4) was intolerable. Live video would skip and change channels and the fast forward feature is almost impossible to “get right.”

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

Have been a loyal PlayStation customer since the PlayStation 1. Have never had any issues with customer service or tech support that is until I signed up for the free trial of PlayStation Vue. Signed up on May 31st to try to watch the NBA finals. Could not watch the finals and immediately canceled... Next day was charged for a full month of service. Did not notice as I had it set up to renew my PlayStation Plus through PayPal until the next month. They charged me again and it over-drafted. Call immediately for a refund but was only given a refund for one month not a full refund. When I called to complain they said even though they seen I did not use the service pass the one day of the supposed free trial they could not return my money because that was against their policy LOL... Went through my bank for a refund and they deleted my account and now I cannot even access games I have already paid for. I will be switching to Xbox.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

For the amount I ended up paying PlayStation to try to watch football, I might as well stuck with my local service provider. The first game of the NFL season was this evening and guess what... After adding on the "Sports Package" and the NFL network, I found out that I would not be able to watch the very first game of the season until 4 AM... I canceled my subscription to VUE and got a refund for the "Sports Package" in which they were advertising "Live Football". They even had the audacity to display the "Live" game on the PS4 home screen. I haven't been happy with Sony for a while and I think this is my final straw, maybe it's time to go over to Xbox totally.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

Was charged for my subscription, as I have been for a year. Then got an email stating that funds were not received. Called multiple times with no result. They got their 59.99 and I have no service. Horrible phone service center as well.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

Let's start with this: I am a former business owner, retired recently (but not that old) and tend to be real picky about everything I try. I am a fanatic regarding technology so getting a positive review for a live TV streaming service from me requires it to work well and in the case of PSVue, it works very well. To begin with I am a long-time DirecTV subscriber (like over 20 years) but have been very unhappy with them particularly since they were purchased by AT&T so I started looking into a live TV streaming service. I have been looking for 9-10 months.

I have spent hundreds of hours reviewing these services and came away with several concerns, the biggest being quality. Lots of these services have quality issues when it comes to the video they send through your Internet provider. Lots of consumer complaints about pictures breaking up etc. First things to realize is unless you have a very fast Internet connection you probably are going to have issues streaming live TV regardless of the service you get. The requirements they give you as far as download speeds tend to be a lot less than you really need to ensure a quality streaming feed. So before you waste your time and money getting a service make sure you have very fast download speeds from you ISP. Once you confirm that your speed is far higher than what the TV streaming service recommends, you can start seriously looking at getting one of them.

That brings us to my actual review of the PSVue service. I have tried several and without a doubt this is by far the best for a variety of reasons. First the picture is fantastic. When I compare it to my DirecTV picture and my local antenna picture through TiVo, it far exceeds both in quality. I have not had any break-up or loss of picture although I suspect at some point I may get a little since it runs through the Internet. That said I have been getting occasional picture issues with DirecTV forever and since AT&T purchased them it runs slower and is not a clear so nothing is perfect, but so far PSVue has performed incredibly well. I tried PSVue last year and was not thrilled but since that time they have done something to the technology to improve the quality. I have read the live streaming TV technology was about to take a giant leap forward and it shows.

I should mention that I am not a young person looking to cut costs with a TV streaming service. My issue is not cost (although compared to DirecTV it is a bargain). It is quality and not being jacked around all of the time with additional costs and lack of quality. You can get cheaper live TV streaming services but the number of channels as well as quality may not be as good. It really depends on what you are looking for.

I watch PSVue on several apps. I use 4K Apple TV and Roku when watching on my 75 inch TV (I also tried going straight through my SONY TV but was not happy with it). Both work well however I will say the Apple TV offers a better picture. The Roku picture is excellent (still better than DirecTV) but watching PSVue through my Apple TV looks like 4K even though it is not. It is the best TV picture I have ever seen and I have seen a lot of them through the years. Switching channels using my Apple TV is surprisingly fast.

The Apple TV guide is a little funky whereas the Roku guide is much more like a normal guide however both allow you to set-up more of an app type view which is really great. I have also tried the app on my iPad and it works very well. One thing I really like is being able to turn you iPod or iPad or iPhone into a one in all remote. You download the apps for Roku or Apple TV to any of them and they replace your remote control which is nice.

As far as recording, I have DVRd a bunch of shows and replay is perfect so any complaints other consumers have about recording through PSVue is probably more about their ISP speed than it is about PSVue. As far as programming I get the Core programming package as it is all I need. I also use 3-5 other services like Netflix and Amazon Prime Video so it provides more than I can handle. If you like sports, they offer a lot of live sports programming as well.

So here is what I would say. There are cheaper services and for some people that is the way to go. I have read YouTube TV is very good and cheaper but I have not tried it. If you are looking for lots of channels, superb video quality, ability to record programs and watch them on multiple devices at the same time (up to 5) this is the best live TV streaming service out there. By the way I do not work for PSVue, and have no affiliation with them. I hope this review helps you make a good decision.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Cut the cord in Dec 2016 and went to PSVue. Loved it as we got all the channels we wanted and had no regret of losing the cable. However, the price has risen more than $10 in 18 months which is just ridiculous. That only reason we cut the cord was to save money but at this rate, it won't happen. Oh and their customer service sucks. You cannot get a live person for over an hour and then they are rude and/or unhelpful.

Original review: July 30, 2018

Put in a new card and they did not update on there in. Did a live chat cause there is no one you can talk to on the week in to get ** straight and they was no help. Just talk me into a PSN prepaid card that did nothing. So sick you can't just click on to pay your bill. Have to wait till Monday thru Friday to get ** done. Fed up.

Original review: July 3, 2018

After just over 2 years of service, my rates have increased 3 times, to the tune of over 40%. The channel selection has only decreased, the reliability remains the same, and as such the rate increases are unjustified. The functionality of the service is good, and well thought out, but the increases are unreasonable. I was a "cord-cutter" a few years ago, but even those rates didn't go up this fast. I will be looking at alternatives.

Original review: April 29, 2018

The DVR function of Playstation Vue is horrible. Most of the shows you select to record never do. They need to do some serious work to improve this. I have only had the service for a couple of months but am seriously considering dropping it.

Original review: March 8, 2018

We did the free trial and cancelled the trial on the day we were suppose to. They billed us $44.99 and said we did not cancel in time. They said it was an hour late (which I know it wasn't). We called as soon as we saw the charge on our credit card (we had to try 5 different times because wait times were over an hour each time... another huge red flag). They said it was over a week since purchase and we couldn't cancel. We didn't even know about the charge until we got our credit card statement. At that point it was almost a month later. Steven at customer service was awful and said no one at their facility has the ability to refund money to people. I have never written a bad review... ever. I want to protect people from this company. They are awful!!! Do not use their service.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

PlayStation Vue has become a complete rip off since their update. It automatically starts streaming a show that live, 80% of the time I'm a few minutes into a show and get the http or bitrate error. As of now, I've been on hold for customer support for one hour, 20 minutes and counting. If I'm watching a show and want to see something else, I literally have to back out 7, 8, 9 times before I can get back to My Shows. Shows that I've set up to record, don't. I could care less about the guide, it doesn't suffice for everything thats gone wrong since the update. Oh, did I mention that the descriptions are in such a small font that you can't read anything without. I can't believe such a large corporation doesn't fix, nor care about their customers problems. Plus, I have never heard of a worldwide company that has absolutely no customer service on the weekend. Not that they will ever answer. I'm going back to Sling TV.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

If you're into movies TV shows, you can't beat cutting the cord with Playstation... BUT, if you want to watch sports, and you pause or delay watching, after it has started, PSV is an unmitigated disaster!!! It's bad enough that it has gaffed some of the basketball games I like to watch, where 1/2 way thru it jumps to the end. Or, won't let you watch it until it's done, which the next day, I likely hear the score before having the opportunity to watch the game, and, I wanted to watch it that night anyway! Yesterday we started watching the Super Bowl a few minutes late and paused a couple of times and the last 2 minutes of the game got cut out and it jumped to the post game interviews.

Even when I looked away and tried to start the game over and hope to see the last couple minutes, it would only rewind to the point of the post game interview... as thought the game wasn't recorded. It's all there today. Completely and totally unacceptable and a HUGE fail for your service. It doesn't matter how much less you cost, if you can't provide the service you claim you can. The value is ZERO!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

I like the PlayStation Vue service but they tell you there's a limit of 5 concurrent streams. But only 3 can be mobile and if you have a Chromecast controlled by your phone or iPad then that counts as 2 mobile devices right there. So plan on only 1 or maybe 2 devices being able to be used at the same time.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

Playstation Vue is easy to use, convenient plus affordable. It's really a good deal and all the features are so much fun. You should like it way better than Xbox because Xbox doesn't offer its own type of streaming. It's something my boyfriend really likes and his little sister likes it too. His sister has a PlayStation as well and she enjoys using it just as much as we do. PlayStation is also more secure with your information. I really like PlayStation a lot and it's definitely my favorite. I wouldn't use anything else.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

The streaming quality is great and there is a lot of choices. The quality of the movies and television shows are abundant. Also the Playstation Vue is very easy to use, very fast and extremely affordable. I can use it any time of the day and the content is very good. I like that I can connect anywhere from home. I also like how the home screen is set up and how it works. It is a great service and I am very happy with it. I really like everything about it and so I will continue to use it.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

Another friend suggested Playstation Vue to me. I was unsure at first but I tried it and I haven't been disappointed with it. It's really easy to use, my son can use it too. I like how they have it setup and how I have very many options to watch very good graphics and details. Some friends use it and say it's very good and so I tried it and I love it. I like horror and romance mystery. They could add more options like more kids shows and stuff like the rest. It's very impressive and I can't wait to see what updates they add to it.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

The features I like about the service are, they include movie channels and have a dvr option so I can record shows and watch them at later time. I can also watch shows or movies on demand with PlayStation vue. On the other hand, I dislike it that you need to own a PlayStation to be able to use PlayStation vue. I'd also like to be able to stream shows and movies without having to log onto my PlayStation. The price could be a little more affordable as well. Still, I would recommend it to friends because it is quick and easy to use.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

It is easy to use and it lets you have some live tv as well as DVR service and it is way cheaper than Directv. There is also no contract so you can cancel at any time without paying a fee. I like the sports included on it also. It is a bit expensive, though. Also if you would get so many channels for this price, it would be nice to be able to pick the channels that are relevant to you.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I love the quality and performance of the service that I use. I love the channels that are available and the shows are great to watch. I like the collaboration between the console and streaming TV shows and movies too. I like to check on the latest shows that are on. I would love to use this service and enjoy all the many features. I dislike the strength of the network that I am using though. But all in all the experience is great and I really enjoy it.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

PlayStation Vue fits my life beautifully. I chose PlayStation Vue because it provides the main channels I watch for a decent price. You don't have to flip through 50 channels of filler tv to watch something you like. It's easy to use and pay for, the channels you get are more tailored to my taste. Unlike cable and satellite where the price is higher for junk channels that most none watches, it's just a way for them to say they offer more channels than say their competitors, and charge the customers more money. I would improve the quality of shows that are available to subscribers, though. I would also continue to offer the packages at a lower price and advertise more to get more people curious as to why it is so much cheaper.

PlayStation Vue expert review by Jonathan Trout

PlayStation Vue is an online video streaming service owned by Sony. Choose from four packages: Access, Core, Elite and Ultra, and watch your favorite local, sports, news and more with multi-channel plans. Each plan has cloud-based DVR so you can pause and come back to your favorite programs anytime.

• Access plan: The Access plan is $39.99 per month and comes with a five-day free trial. It comes with over 40 channels including ABC, FOX, FS1, ESPN, FX, TBS, TNT and more. You can add the sports package for $10 more per month as well as standalone channels like HBO.

• Core plan: The Core plan is $44.99 per month with a five-day free trial. It comes with over 50 channels, with a focus on sports and popular TV. Popular sports channels include NFL Network, NBA TV, MLB Network and more regional sports networks.

• Elite plan: The Elite plan is $54.99 and comes with a five-day free trial. In addition to having the Core plan’s sports and popular TV channels, it focuses on movies. It includes more family and movie channels like Epix Hits, Machinima, AMC and more.

• Ultra plan: The Ultra plan is $74.99 and comes with a five-day free trial. It offers over 90 channels, including all channels from the previous packages plus premium channels like HBO, Showtime, Cinemax and more.

• Supported devices: You can stream PlayStation Vue on 4th generation Apple TVs, Android TVs, Chromecast, iOS and Android devices, Roku and Amazon Fire TV.

• Multiple devices: You can stream PlayStation Vue on up to five devices at one time.

• Best for: people who don’t mind paying a little more for more channels.

Profile picture of Jonathan Trout
Jonathan Trout ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Playstation Vue Company Information

PlayStation Vue
www.playstation.com
Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.