1.78/5

588 Sony PlayStation Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I've only ever used the PS One, it's really simple to use and it plays my games. I had my first one for 10+ years, had to replace it because the video capabilities went bad. The replacement works just as good as the original.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

Got hacked today. The hacker wasted my wallet balance (30$), thankfully I did not have any working payment methods attached. I regained control of the account and contacted Sony customer support asking for a refund or at least a punishment for the hacker (that would give me some consolation). They said about the punishment: "We can't go that far, he did it from the browser and we don't have his PS4 tracked" (untrue - he clearly did log in from PS4 because my PS4 got deactivated as primary and I was logged out with a message saying that someone logged in on another device, that does not happen when you log in from browser).

Since they told me that he did it from browser, I asked if the game was ever downloaded. They said NO, but still refused to refund it since all sales in US store are final (apparently, even if they are fraudulent). They never challenged my version and never told they don't believe me it was a fraud. Plain and simple they said - "we're sorry for this (fraud), but we'll do nothing about this. All transactions are final, goodbye."

Original review: Jan. 27, 2019

The PS is a well-built system. Graphics are very good. Response time on the joystick are excellent. Price is very reasonable. Although it could have more memory will make it much more appealing. It is a great value compared to the competition.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

So, my experience may not be as major as others but I'm still pissed off. I was charged $30 for PlayStation Plus my son signed up for without me knowing. I called customer support and was told they would grant me a one time refund. 10 days later still nothing. I have online chatted with two of their staff and were told the money was refunded back to my virtual wallet and I agreed to it. NO I DID NOT! I even have the confirmation email from the person stating my refund would come back to me in so many days. Now they just tell me there is nothing they can do since the first agent refunded it to the wallet. Serious scammers!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I found the controller to be difficult to use. And it took too much time to charge. Overall I think the PS3 to be not user friendly. I wouldn’t recommend the PS3 to a beginner user. Some games just seem to be too repetitive.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Sony TVs?

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

My son was thinking he was getting things for free and payment was defaulting to my credit card without my authorization. Purchasing crap on Fortnite. Anyway, 300$ in and I got a notification from the bank. I immediately disputed the charges with the bank and called Sony. I was told they would refund my money because I was eligible for a "goodwill" gesture. The woman at Sony told me that if the credit card dispute goes through, that would be fraud since they are refunding me my money and also refunding the card. She also told me they would ban my son's account, not allowing him to play any of the thousands of dollars worth of games he has already paid for.

I told her that's like getting caught stealing from a store and the store comes to your house and takes all the things you paid for... It doesn't work like that. She assured me that if I cancelled the credit card dispute all would be well and within 5 days the money would be refunded. I cancelled the dispute, but it was too late not to cancel my card. After reading some of these reviews, now I'm glad that card was cancelled. Anyway, three days later my son gets an email stating that the refund could not be done due to "terms of service."

I called Sony and went through two agents and a supervisor. All told me the same variety of things, all resulting in a "too bad, so sad" scenario along with the same threat to ban my son's account. The last supervisor told me they couldn't refund the money because it was essentially already spent (on unused "v-bucks") and if they receive a chargeback from MasterCard they will bill my son for the "v bucks"... I told him that's not how it works. I explained; If I dispute a charge to Sony on my credit card, that issue is now between the credit card company and Sony.

If Sony refunds my credit card, that's where it ends. If Sony used the money to purchase imaginary things in the game then that's Sony's problem and if they have a legitimate issue with it they should not have accepted the chargeback. They cannot charge a minor to pay back the money they were made to pay back to me. He disagreed with me and told me again, if I pursue the dispute with the bank, my son's account would be banned and he would not be able to play his games until the debt was paid. He assured me they were not "taking" his games, just his access to them... I asked the supervisor to explain to me how that is not extortion. He had no answer except that they were not taking the games, merely access.

It is the very definition of extortion. Pay us the $300 or you lose "access" to your $3000 already spent. Then there's "pre-orders." My son has also spent $90 on some digital pre-order that we will never have access to if I dispute the $300! Unflippingbelievable! I have never seen such a brazen scam. And the more I look into this, it wreaks... Sony's got kids buying "Gift cards" to load their "wallet" and buying digital versions of games that can be taken away from them at the drop of a hat. I thought the "membership" was sneaky but this is a whole new level of institutional piracy. If kids make a mistake with their purchase and actually get a refund, it goes in this "wallet." Uh... that's not real money. Talk about shopping at the company store...

Kids, do not buy any digital games, "skins" or whatever these snakes try to get you to buy. They can take it away, you can never resell it, if you close your account or you get banned you own NOTHING. This is an elaborate, but old scam revisited for the digital age of "gift cards" and they're preying on kids. These ** are bandits, absolute bandits. Do not give Sony a penny, this company deserves to burn to the ground for stealing lemonade-stand money like they do. If you work for this company, quit. You do not want that karmic load.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Platform is good performing, but the attempts to chisel out a monthly fee are off putting. We all stick more with PC games to avoid the establishment costs.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I think video games are a good way of living out different kinds of life goals, playing sports, being in wars, going to new and different places, it keeps your mind sharp and engaged. Helps deal with stressful times.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

Playstation is game console but blu-ray disc player for movies. My kids enjoys its does both and it downloads demos and videos. The tutorial videos gave you a lot of eye sight on how to troubleshoot or request for service online.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

I requested a refund of a purchase the same day, and was told all sales are final. They didn't care that I had no way of knowing that this particular item could not be used by all users on my PS4. All other purchases I have made could be used by all users, but somehow this was different with no warning. Be very careful when purchasing. Customer service refused to escalate my problem or even give me the contact information to submit a complaint.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

I'm retro, so my newest PlayStation is the PS3. Game selection is great, and now that it's not the newest system, the games are much cheaper to get, so you don't lose much if you get a bad one. One inconvenience is the updates. If you get a new game and want to play right away, you'll have to make sure you're not online or it will update first, which can take a few minutes to an hour, depending on connection speeds and amount of updates. Otherwise, the system seems stable, with only rare crashes or freeze ups.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I have 2 complaints about this rip-off company! First, I was trying to purchase v-bucks for my 10 yr old son with my debit card. Every time we clicked the button for complete the order, an error message popped up. We went thru the process again and at the end an error message popped up. We were thinking the transaction didn't go thru, so we kept trying until we finally got the congratulations message. After a few minutes I start to receive 10 emails thanking me for my purchases. I immediately try to contact PlayStation network to remove these charges, because of the error message. But when I called the 1 800 number, I get telemarketing options! This was on a Saturday. I waited until Monday to try and call the 1 800 number again, and finally got a representative. I was better off talking with the telemarketer!

Long story short they told me they didn't have a refund policy and they were not going to refund me my money. I wanted to be done with them then, but my 10 year old was pleading with me to let him keep it. I contacted my bank and was able to have my funds refunded back to my account. Second complaint! We are trying to reset the password to my 10 yr old account, and the system is saying his birthday is invalid...and so is mine! I'm done with this company! I hope and pray this Godzilla of a company and its horrible customer service come crashing down sooner than later. I will NEVER buy another Sony product, let alone PlayStation, and I will tell anyone with ears to boycott this miserable company!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

My son bought some game loot and PSN charged us 2x for the $84.99 purchase. I tried to get this resolved as I watched my son make the purchase and I put the password in to make the purchase. I called customer support twice to try to get resolved. They were unable to help us. I disputed the charge with PayPal. Paypal refunded us the money but then PSN banned my son's account and would not lift the ban until I paid the fee. I called PSN again and they actually told me that the game had glitched but my only option would be to pay the money to get the ban lifted. Unreal!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

My PS4 lasted 2 months and went into the blue screen of death. It takes a week to get the shipping box and I returned it that day. 7 days later they show it's still not received. Don't count on this machine to get repaired any time soon, going to try X-Box.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

Just bought a PS4. Seen after 5 days of owning notice multiple charges. Made contact. Sony they refuse to do anything at all. Customer service ended the conversation while I was still talking and that was a supervisor. Spoke to him for maybe 1 or 2 min most. They lack customer support. If I could give them less stars I would. By the way, had my Xbox One since day one til now never had a single issue. What a mistake.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

In November of 2018 my PlayStation Plus Network membership was going to expire and I received a notification that the expiration will be in 7 days. I then renewed the membership by using my credit card which was charged $60 for the year. A few days later I received another notification saying that my account will expire soon therefore I figured the first charge did not go through and charged my card again for $60 which renewed my membership. I checked my credit card statement and noticed that I got charged twice and disputed one of the charges since I shouldn't have been charged twice. After disputing one of the charges my PlayStation Plus Network account was locked/banned. At this point I called customer service and they said that even though I paid twice, because I disputed the first charge they have to ban my account.

So I decided to dispute the second charge as well since they're going to lock my account. Customer Service said that I had to purchase a 12 month PS4 membership card from Amazon in order to activate my account again which I did for $59.99 but after applying that information it didn't work. It turns out I had to buy a $60 Voucher card not the 12 month membership card so now I purchased another card. $120 later and my account is activated. However, the second credit card charge dispute kicked in and they froze my account yet again a month later even though I already paid $120 work of Amazon PS4 activation codes for 2 years.

Called customer service and they told me I had to get another $60 PS4 Voucher card in order for the account to be activated again. Now I'm $180 into this for 3 years that was forced on me otherwise my account would still be locked even though I paid $120 for two years through Amazon PS4 card activations. This was horrible customer service from Sony and their Playstation Interactive Department. I had to spend $180 not by choice all because I disputed a double credit card charge on my account. This is the worst customer service experience I've ever come across.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

My account was suspended when I responded to a player using the racist name "**" in a game. Because of my response, Sony says I violated their terms of use and says they cannot lift my suspension. Their support staff has no empathy and are about as helpful as a bullet in the head, which would at least be less painful than having to talk to them. I tried online chat but got disconnected. When I tried to log back in for another chat the system says "Looks like we just chatted with you. Sorry we could not fix your issue. Please try again later."

Since my account is suspended I cannot use a forum for assistance. I tried calling and was told that there is nothing they can do and they cannot provide a phone number, website or email address for somebody to handle my situation, only a physical address. I find it extremely difficult to believe that their Consumer Affairs department doesn't have a phone number or email address. Their policy and procedure is allowing players to be discriminatory. I will be hiring a lawyer.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I will never buy anything from PlayStation again. I had to cancel my card information cause someone pre purchased a game that don't come out for another 3 months. I did not authorize this purchase and the guy kept repeating himself they don't do refunds. They are helping commit fraud.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Sony won't refund me a Preorder game "OverKill the Walking Dead." Developer bankrupt because used already used a refund in past. Spent over $6000 on PSN games and been a plus member since they start it. Already built my gaming pc. but enjoy playing console because of fewer cheaters. Guess hook up Xbox One S and PC. AVOID BUYING ANYTHING ON PLAYSTATION STORE because won't get a refund.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

My PSN account was hacked on the 21st of December and about $500 of purchases were made with child accounts that were created after my account was compromised. After talking with support I was able to get my account restored 2 days later and was told that the refund process would take a little bit longer. Fast forward to the 30th and I find out that my refund was denied for "reasons." I talked with support and basically their answer is "Sucks to be you, at least you have your account again." They said they could not refund the games because they were used before the refund request went through and the child accounts that were created were banned... BY them.

The thief bought about 9 different games, games I never played before, or never had interest in. I told them that this is impossible. My account was hacked and obviously whoever stole my account is the one who played the games. They essentially just told me to eat the loss and deal with it. I tried settling for at least giving me access to the games that were purchased or even giving me credit for the loss but they refused to do that as well. I will take responsibility for the fact that maybe my account wasn't as secure as it could have been but I figured they could at least do something, ANYTHING even. I've been loyal to Playstation since the first console was released and have had an active PS Plus membership for years and this is how I get repaid, utterly absurd. I saved the chat transcripts for future use.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

I initially bought a 12-month subscription to Plus hoping to apply it to my wife's and daughter's PS4s in an account share type situation. After doing so, we quickly realized it would not work out like we hoped and I proceeded to cancel mine in favor of just doing ones for the Wife and Daughter as I wouldn't play as much as them. I was able to get a customer service agent on the phone Christmas eve within 10 mins and request the refund. I was told they would do a one time refund as a courtesy. Then I was told it could only be refunded to the PlayStation wallet and not back on my credit card. To which I asked if there was a way I could use those funds in the wallet to buy the plus subscription for my wife, and was told there was no way to share or gift the funds.

After requesting the refund - back to the wallet, I got off the phone with them only to find out a few days later that the money in the wallet was gone again. But not refunded to my credit card, but was used to by a plus subscription again under my PSN name. I called customer support again and was told they would not refund it again, even though I didn't authorize to buy the subscription again. Apparently, the customer service rep did not disable the auto-renew feature nor did he tell me it would buy it again (even though the renewal date should have been a year from now). It seems they intentionally misled me to allow this situation of having a PlayStation Plus subscription I don't want, to happen.

As per my credit card agreement, I am disputing this charge to charge it back as I have not received a refund for this 12-month subscription I canceled the same day I started it. I wish anyone reading this to hopefully be more aware of Sony's policies and deceptive practices meant to "keep your money". I've heard PlayStation is supposed to have great customer service, but this is quite indicative that they do not.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

Recently I purchased a game for my son. The game was inexpensive so I didn’t care the problem was that PS require you to have the yearly membership to play the game. I didn’t want the membership but PS still charged me for it. By the time I noticed the charge on my bank statement it had already been two and half weeks and they won’t refund any money. After 2 weeks I contacted PS Network they were unwilling to help. I explained I didn’t want the membership but I’ll still pay for the game but nothing. My advice, if your going to buy games always buy hard copy never from PS Network. I couldn’t get a refund so after the year I will never buy the membership or buy another PS game online.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

This all started on 12/24/2018 when my girls wanted to play their new PlayStation game. I attempted to log in to my PlayStation network account, and I could not. The message stated that my account was banned due to violations of the PlayStation network agreement. After calling and finally getting through to a person, on 12/07/2018 there was an unauthorized charge for Madden 2019 on my account, that was disputed by whomever made the purchase. My account was banned on 12/24 due to a disputed charge from whomever purchased the game. I called and informed PlayStation network that I was not the person that made the charge, nor was my credit card used. They were able to assist me and within 24 hours my account was unlocked.

On 12/27 my account was banned again. This time due to a transaction on 12/08 for 2 $25 Madden game credits(???). I called again, went through 3 different people to “assist” me. This was one day after the initial unauthorized purchase yet I was told there is nothing they can do and the debt must be paid or the account will not be unlocked. I talked to customer service, the billing department, and a “supervisor.” And even though they could see the other person’s card and information, and they could confirm that I WAS NOT the one that made the charge/transaction, there was NOTHING they could do. My only option is to pay the $50 balance!

Money is not the issue here, it’s completely the principle. I nor anyone in my household authorized the transactions and Sony will not and cannot do anything other than to charge me and make me pay the $50. The customer service of this company is an absolute nightmare and disaster. Way to treat honest, hard-working people that are dedicated to your platform when there are SO many other options out there. I will not be renewing my PlayStation network subscription. I will be going tomorrow to buy an Xbox and all the games I already have on PlayStation with HOPES that Microsoft will take better care of the consumer of fraud occurs.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I got my kids a PlayStation 4 for Christmas this year to find out the new PlayStation won't play PlayStation games. I contacted PlayStation support and they were absolutely no help. Told me that I would have to send in the PlayStation to be fixed. I was in shock. A brand new PlayStation broken from the start so my kids' big Christmas gift was a waste and I look like the worst father in the world to my kids right now.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

So today I received an email stating that £25 had been spent on my account... Funny though the transaction took place at 8 am when I wasn't home. I live alone and there's no one in the house but me. I call Playstation. They tell me I may have been hacked. Turns out whoever hacked my account sent his little crappy game to the wrong place so they will not refund me the money. They will only give me Playstation credit. Which is great considering that I don't even play on the thing!!! Who are these guys? They won't even refund a person with real money. What utter crooks!!!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I purchased a PSN card for my son to buy skins and dances on Fortnite (in which I had already spent close to $500 before this last incident). My son tells me that his account has been deactivated. I have called several times and I have followed all procedures that they have asked me to complete. I even sent in proof of the purchased card, but all they can say to me is that the account has been deactivated due to violated terms and conditions, and no has yet to explain to me what term and conditions has been violated. I have asked for re-compensation for the trouble because I am the purchaser of all of his cards and I did not spend all that money for PlayStation to decide just to deactivate his account without notice or justification. I continue to call and continue to get the run around. I will not spend another penny on anything affiliated with PlayStation.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

I have called the call centre about 12 times over the last 10 days to try to fix a problem with my PlayStation account. The problem was due to the call centre's bad advice and laziness in the first place. My son has a new PlayStation only owned it 3 weeks. We have been locked out of the network. The call centre are filled with a bunch of angry kids with god complexes that won't help. There is no complaint escalation procedure to get support.

I am told that my account could be locked for another 10 days. Silly thing the reason for the account lockout is because of their error. I am stunned at the rudeness I have experienced. I am regretting my purchase and wish I went to Xbox. Have a Nintendo Switch. They are the best. Amazing support. What is going on with Sony and PlayStation? Why do they think they can treat their customers like this? I'm very disillusioned. The sad thing is there is an 8 year old boy stuck in the middle of this ** fight that can't play his new toy. Shame on you call centre and shame on you Sony PlayStation.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

I purchased a preorder game 13 days before the release date, but wanted to change it. It was for my son. I bought the wrong one and wanted my money back, I would eventually buy the correct version later. I have made many purchases from PS4 Store and never had a problem or wanted a refund. Also on the website it says you can get a refund for preorder games. Basically they said all sales are final, I have pulled my credit card and will never buy from them again. I rather buy from Amazon or GameStop going forward.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I wanted to buy a game for my nephew for Christmas. I found the game was the cheapest on the PlayStation store during a Black Friday sale. I tried to figure out if there was a way to buy the game and give it as a gift instead of it just applying to my account. I started a support chat to find out if there was a way. The support rep gave me very misleading information. After following his advice the game was purchased and applied to my account. I informed him that was not what I wanted as I had stated many times in our chat. I was hoping to purchase a voucher code or physical game so I could gift it. He informed me that was not possible.

I asked for a refund so I could just buy him a gift card or something else and he said, "No. All sales are final." I just purchased the game while chatting with him based on his advice and he would not give me a refund. I had not downloaded the game, I had not played the game. I don't want the game. I spoke to several people on the phone asking for a refund and they all just said the same thing, "All sales are final." I own two PS4's and have been a PlayStation Plus member for years and have a ridiculous amount of dollars in games but I am done. I can't believe a company as large as Sony is willing to lose a customer for life over $40. I will not be treated like this. My wife says I am being silly and that I am just one customer and they won't care but they can't just steal money from people. Goodbye Sony. I hope Microsoft appreciates my money and loyalty.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

Our grandson who is 10 yrs old downloaded games that clearly said they were free but was not the case. We got charged $173.00. We did a chat with customer service and they said they would refund us but later we called and now they're saying they are not going to refund it.

Sony PlayStation Company Information