Anthropologie

Urban Outfitters

Compare Online Shopping Companies

Research top Online Shopping Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

After placing an order the money was immediately debited from my account. Yet I did not receive a confirmation email. A week later and still nothing. I sent 5 messages via the website and email yet nobody responded. I contacted my local branch who said that this level of care is 'typical' and that their customer service is 'appalling'. I couldn't agree more. Eventually I received an email saying I should 'rest assured'. They had looked into it and I should not worry as the order had already been received by me. Looking at the dates they claim it was received two days before I made the order?!? Impossible.

Following a phone call from me to customer service they claim that after placing an order you do not receive confirmation of this for a week 'because of the weekend'. They also claim emails aren't responded to for a week because they 'literally have thousands a day'. I have never felt with such appalling customer care. I have wasted a considerable amount of time trying to resolve the situation. As it stands the money has been debited from my account yet I still don't have an order number, or the goods I paid for. As far as I am concerned this is theft and have notified my bank and trading standards to express this. Zero stars. Worst customer experience ever.

I never received an item I ordered. So I sent an email to Anthropologie stating such and was informed that they can only assist with lost/stolen items within 30 days of the shipping date. I explained that I live overseas working for a U.S. diplomatic mission and that all mail is received via a DPO (diplomatic post office) address. Packages often take 3-4 weeks to arrive, if not longer, so I would never fall within the 30-day window. I was given no choice but to dispute the charge with my credit card, as I never received the item.

Shortly thereafter, I received what I considered a rather threatening email from their disputes department, stating that I am no longer welcomed as a customer of Anthropologie and that all future orders I place will be canceled. In the span of the past 15-20 years, I have been a solid customer who has likely spent thousands of dollars at their store, but they are now going to forever lose a customer over $65, and over something I never received! Really atrocious customer service. In the future, I will be certain to give my business to companies with solid reputations in customer service such as Amazon, and those who know how to deal with Americans living overseas and how to treat those who keep them in business. Surprised this company can survive in today's competitive market with this behavior.

I have had so many issues with them, but I'll limit this to the most recent one. Against my better judgment, I ordered three pieces of furniture with a total price $6,588. Not cheap. The system showed the pieces as in stock and ready for delivery within a few weeks. About a day or two after I placed the order, they were suddenly out of stock and would be for many, many, many months. The worst delay would be for a bed, so it's not as though they had a sudden and unexpected pile of orders in two days; their system had just lied. I also found similar pieces on another website for about half the price available to ship immediately.

Anthropologie offered me a discount, but then only applied that discount to two of the three pieces. They said that they hadn't applied the discount to the third piece because it was ready to be delivered; meanwhile, I had never been told that or contacted for delivery. Another of the backordered pieces, a small table, is FINALLY in stock months later. I called to schedule delivery and was told that delivery was scheduled by the week, not by the day. I was told I would need to sit at home all day, every day, for a WEEK to await delivery. I am unable to schedule an entire week to sit at home; I was told that the item can never be delivered unless I plan to devote an entire week of my life to it. It's just a small table. This is senseless.

I ordered a gift for my girlfriend for Christmas. Item showed delivered but there was no box outside my door! Emailed them and they stated they would be willing to refund or replace the necklace. I told them it would be too late to ship a replacement before Christmas so to just refund my money. A month goes by and I never received a refund so I email asking about my refund. They claim they never received my email asking for a refund and they have a policy that if you don't respond with 30 days you're out of luck. I have proof I sent them an email 1 day after they emailed me and they conveniently told me "that doesn't show in our system". They stole my money by refusing to issue a refund and claiming they didn't get my refund request. Currently disputing the charge with my bank. Will never buy anymore gifts for my gf and sisters from this place as it is a crummy business.

I had a very frustrating experience with ordering from Anthro. I ordered a product and they sent me the wrong one because what it lists on the website under sizes/color does not correspond to what they have in stock (so if you click "gold" you'd get "copper" or something like that). Well I called and they said they'd send me the right item this time, but they sent the same one from before. Called a 3rd time, talked forever with the person on the phone so it seemed certain that they would send me the right item this time. Waited for weeks, never got anything. Called again. Turns out - that person never even placed the order! And now the item I wanted was out of stock. So I am stuck with 2 of the same thing... which I didn't even want in the first place.

Anyway. I posted a review after I got the wrong item the first time around. And all that ever came up on the website was the star rating... None of my text was there. Well after I went through all of that crap I just talked about, I created a new account (since I couldn't edit my review which is dumb) to post an update and warn people about what they should order and that review never even showed up... not even just the stars. So I think Anthro filters reviews and doesn't post the negative ones which is bs.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Anthropologie?

I used to consider Anthropologie to be a high-end store, along the lines of Neiman Marcus for instance. I now see firsthand why this company’s sales are plummeting as “the chain has been struggling to connect with customers,” according to The Washington Post. I recently experienced the worst customer service and shopping experience EVER from Anthropologie and its parent company Urban Outfitters should be embarrassed!

On May 8, 2016, I placed an order for the Nira Dining Table, after reading a 5-star review (which I now question the validity of) on the company’s website. Several weeks after the order was placed, I received an email that the table’s 2-4 week anticipated delivery time was delayed. Considering that I had already disposed of my old dining set, in anticipation of the new one, I decided to wait. Unbeknownst to me, the table would not come for another 17 WEEKS! Not to mention, the table arrived damaged! After being assured by Anthro that a replacement would be a quick turn-around, I opted for an exchange.

The new table arrived weeks later with similar defects. I realized that this was simply a poorly made piece of furniture that Anthropologie should ashamed to have their name on. The “white glove” delivery guys could not get the legs to fully attach to the table’s 300lb top, (presenting a serious safety issue); the table top was pulling away from the sides leaving an exposed raw edge that was so sharp it could slice a finger; and there were several chips in the table’s surface and glue filler everywhere. But this isn’t the worst of it….

The delivery company that Anthropologie used “Metropolitan Warehouse & Delivery Corp” was so unprofessional (just google their reviews). On the scheduled day of delivery, the company was a NO SHOW/NO CALL! On the second attempt, the driver did not show up during my designated window of 1:30-5:30 pm. I received a call at 7:00 pm from the driver at which time I explained that I was no longer at home. I contacted Anthropologie expecting them to handle the situation on my behalf but was instead instructed to contact the delivery company myself.

It took nearly a week and two emails for the delivery company to contact me regarding rescheduling delivery. When the second table arrived damaged, I refused acceptance and the delivery guys were none too pleased—even initially refusing to take the table back (as if I was inconveniencing them and their other deliveries for that day). I had to call Anthropologie and let them speak directly with the delivery guys to get them to remove the item. Did they really expect me to take off another day of work for them to “possibly” come back?

After this entire ordeal, I called Anthropologie and asked to speak with a manager and was referred to Jenessy **, to whom I expressed my utter frustration with the furniture quality and delivery company. Ms. ** offered to “price match” another dining table and even took time to peruse Anthropologie’s website with me to aid in my selection. I settled on the only other wood dining table that was commensurate in size and style.

Shortly after our conversation, I was contacted by another Anthropologie associate, Carol **, via email and informed that there was a miscommunication and I would have to select a table that was the “SAME” price or they could extend a 20% discount on the table of my choice. Not only was this offer vastly different from what I was told over the phone earlier that day, but to add insult to injury, the 20% discount was currently being offered as an online promotion open to the general public.

I told them to refund my purchase and expressed again my dismay, in writing, letting them know that a company of this caliber has to realize that it's highly deceptive to extend an offer to a customer and then retract it. A few hours later, I received another email from Anthropologie that contained a $50 Gift Card issued in MY NAME and a phone call from Ms. ** who apologized and asked if I had received the email gift card. People, I kid you not here… are you ready for this? When I tried to use the gift card, it was declined. In true Anthropologie style, I was informed that it was issued to me by mistake. Despite, Ms. ** contacting me personally to let me know that the gift card was issued, it was done so by mistake. However, the manager did offer me a 25% discount if I wanted to continue with my purchase.

I thought this had to be a cruel joke or something. They couldn’t pay me to ever shop here again. Buyers Beware! Just because a store has high-end looking items and high prices doesn’t mean they have high standards. P.S. I wrote a (very short) negative but honest review about this table but Anthropologie has refused to post it. There is just a single 5-star review for this item. Very unethical practices!

I ordered two rolls of (expensive) wallpaper to cover one wall for our nursery. We hired a contractor to prep the wall and hang the paper. Both rolls had red ink stripes which were defects from the printing process. We tried to work around the damaged areas, it turned out that the two rolls also did not match each other in ink colors/intensities although they were supposed to be the same. We were left with half a wall done, covered with strips that didn't match.

I called Anthropologie and had to talk to 3 people (only one of whom apologized for the issue), finally they agreed to give a partial refund and send out two non-defective rolls. They arrived yesterday. I had the contractor out again today. These rolls look good in that they don't have red stripes and match, but once he started to try to hang them it was discovered that the width varies and it is impossible to match them side by side! They are cut wavy and thus vary in width vertically! So, again we have paid someone for their time and have half a wall done, and it looks like crap!

I called Anthropologie again and talked to 2 people (no apologies without prompting), they said that all they could do was refund the rest. Um, that doesn't fix the fact that I have half a wall, have paid for contractors to come out twice, I can't just put the wall back to the way it was. This is so wrong. And I asked how she was going to make sure they stopped shipping what is clearly a defective product, she didn't really have an answer. So, there's clearly no quality control, there's no standing behind their products, there's no taking responsibility, and there's definitely no concern that people are spending time and money to use their expensive products, and then left high and dry. And, they'll just keep selling the same crap so I'm sure that other people will be dealing with the same issue. There is so much wrong here, all I can say is that I won't be shopping here again.

I love Anthropologie, but their customer service is horrendous. I returned two pairs of pants over a month ago. The following month my credit card was charged for the pants because my package wasn't received. I contacted customer service explaining I mailed the pants and I am no longer in possession of them. Anthropologie refuses to believe a package could be lost and has not reimbursed me. Thankfully, my credit card has credited me for the refund. Their unwillingness to credit me has really tarnished the brand.

Consumer Increased Rating!

I did finally hear from Anthropology and they credited my card the difference. Just a shame I had to go to such lengths to be extended simple customer service. Hope they get their customer service dept up to level of other retailers offering online purchasing.

2 stars notation, satisfied with the results of my review. Dissatisfied I had to take so much of my time to resolve.

JK of Mclean, VA on

Original Review

I have spent several thousand dollars at this store online the past 3 months furnishing a new home. After my last purchase, while awaiting the arrival of the merchandise, I noticed a sheet set was now for sale at a lesser price. I contacted customer service. They didn't even read my email and said they can't "coupon stack." I resent email restating problem. 2nd email says "we cannot coupon stack." I wrote back telling them I just wanted a credit or adjustment to my credit card and please forward to a supervisor. One week later... NO RESPONSE!!! (Had similar problem at OVERSTOCK.COM and was resolved in one day - they honored lower price!!!) Was that too much to ask of Anthropologie? Apparently, yes and this is one customer with discretionary dollars who will take her business elsewhere!

I love Anthropologie, the store, the clothing, it's all great. But their customer service is the absolute opposite. My sister bought me a $100 gift card for my birthday. I didn't get a chance to use it right away but about two months later I went to the store to get something with the gift card. It was an e-gift card, so I gave the checkout girl the card number and she tried a couple times but it wouldn't work. She called up to find out what the problem was and they said there was no money on the card as it had been used a few weeks prior. I hadn't used it and neither had my sister. They told me because it was an e-gift card (and not a physical card) it was possible that it was hacked and used. Wonderful. They told me to call customer service and file a claim and they would issue me a new card. So I called customer service.

The woman I spoke to said she was submitting the claim and I would hear back from them within 72 hours. I called back over a week later when I didn't get any response. This time the woman I spoke tried to look up the claim and said nothing was submitted. She said she and her manager are both submitting a claim and again told me I would get a response in 72 hours and they would mail me a physical gift card. It's almost 2 weeks later and still nothing so I called again. This time I was told they don't have any information on my sister's account so they can't help me. So I'm out of a gift card. They also told me at the store that if I paid for the purchase, once the claim was filed and I got a new gift card number I could just call and they would refund my credit card and put the payment on the gift card instead. So I'm out of that as well. Thank you Anthropologie.

I went into my local Anthropologie store a few weeks ago. I found a dress that I liked but they didn't have it in my size so I went online and ordered it. I received the package yesterday but was very disappointed to discover that it was completely the wrong dress. Not the wrong size or color, but a totally different dress. I went and checked both my receipt and my account at anthropologie.com. I had ordered an off yellow cafe dress with wooden buttons down the middle. The dress that came in the mail was short, white lace with no buttons. I mean a totally different dress. The weird thing was I really don't even think it was an Anthropologie dress. I looked on the website and couldn't find it. Also, Anthropologie clothing is high quality, what I received was not at all. It was thin, cheap-looking, and just honestly not something Anthropologie would carry in their stores.

I decided that before mailing it back, I should stop in the store to see if they had gotten any more in my size. I figured returning it to the store would be better than mailing it back and waiting. Luckily the store had my size in stock this time. The girl in the fitting room was very sweet. I explained what had happened and she apologized, saying I could just return it here. Unfortunately when I went to the checkout counter to return the dress the girl was rude and unhelpful. I explained the situation. She looked at the dress and said it wasn't one of theirs. While she didn't come out and say it, I really believe she thinks I faked the whole thing. She was very reluctant to refund my account.

After showing her all the receipts and saying that I did order from the official store online she credited by account the price of the dress (I'm still out the $11 shipping fee) but what really bothers me is the way she looked at me, like I was a thief who just decided to take one of my own dresses and claim that it had come in the mail instead of the dress I ordered.

Fraudulent billing of returned items. Currently in several disputes with my credit card company.

I've been a happy customer with Anthro for years and I had no complaints about the products or services until I started noticing something most people overlook. When I shop online I'm not JUST taxed on the item I'm purchasing, I'm taxed on the item+shipping. This is concerning because Anthro's receipts make it look like you're only being taxed on the items you purchase when in fact you're taxed much more. When I return the item I'm NEVER reimbursed the full amount I was taxed either. I don't expect to be reimbursed shipping costs but I expect to get back the full amount I was taxed.

The following is taken from a real online receipt. Example: Net product 39.96, Tax. 2.50*, Shipping. 5.47, Import fee. 0.00, Total Shipment 47.93. I know my tax is 5.5% so that should be $2.20. Ironically when I return that item to the store, the receipt looks like this: Subtotal. 39.96, Duty. 0.00, Tax. 2.20*, Ship fees. 0.00, Total. (42.16). Notice anything strange? I put a * by the taxed amount so you can see for yourself. Now $.30 doesn't seem like a lot but when your order is $554 and you return everything, you'll lose $4.15 in tax you PAID but will never get back. You'll get back some tax just not the correct amount.

On April 29th I went online and purchased a $100 gift card for my mom for Mother's Day. I set it up to be delivered to her on Mother's Day the 8th of May. I paid with a debit type card (it's a card that has funds transferred to it every time you donate plasma). Anyway, there was enough to pay for the gift certificate and more. Immediately those funds were taken off the card and I thought all was set, ready for delivery 9 days from when I purchased.

On Friday the 6th I checked my balance on my card and it mysteriously had $95 more than the last time I checked. I thought it was strange but it wasn't the full hundred and I didn't receive any emails/calls. 2 am on Mother's Day I received an email stating there was a problem and my payment could not be processed. I went back online, purchased a new gift card (with my bank debit card) and set it up for delivery that day. Received confirmation that "my order was on its way". My mom said nothing all day so on Monday I decided to ask her. She said she never received anything.

I decide to call customer service. It's Monday the 9th, 10 days after I first purchased the original gift card. The problem, turns out I missed a letter in her email address. ANTHROPOLOGIE - You might want to have a section on the final page before purchasing and the confirmation email you send out where it states the recipient's email address. There was no way for me to double check it before paying or even after in the email I received. I told the women I spoke with that "I no longer wanted the gift card. Refund my money." She acted as though that was fine. The gift certificate had obviously not been delivered to the "wrong" address so it wasn't a problem to just refund me my money.

This morning the 12th, 3 days after my last call I receive an email that states "your return is being processed". Second email following "your order is on its way". Seriously. My mom calls and tells me she just received the gift card. Checked my bank account and the money has been taken out. Called customer service again. The guy tells me that he's sorry the last representative got it wrong and unfortunately because the gift card was already generated I would not be able to get the money refunded to my debit card. They will have to cancel that gift cert. and issue me a check that could take up to a month to received.

Wow. Now tell me, who wants to deal with Anthropologie? Not me. Never again. And all I got was a sorry. Two different times of trying to purchase the gift card, money taken off my card for 7 days then reappearing minus $5, two phone calls and I have to wait a month for my money to be returned. THINK AGAIN BEFORE PURCHASING GIFT CARDS FROM ANTHROPOLOGIE. THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE AND PROFESSIONALISM IS WEAK. Not what I would expected from this company. Now I know.

For two months, I've reported to Anthro that the online order system is not working for me. I've done everything - deleted/reentered cards, tried the PayPal link (get 404 message), installed Chrome browser and tried again. Have done this on several computers and nothing works. Repeated calls to Anthro have resulted in the worst, most abominable service I've ever received from a retail company where I spend thousands of dollars each year. They promise to have the tech people call me (they never do), they blame me for the problem (hence "use Chrome"), they say they have to put the tech people in touch with me and they "may" contact me in 48 hours (no one ever calls).

The supervisor today was extremely reluctant to help and appeared to have very little customer service training. She was aggressively unhelpful. She finally said she would let the tech department know of my problem and said she'd have her supervisor call me when she got in today at 3 p.m. EST. It's 10:40 p.m. EST and no one has called either of my phones. I'm beginning to think I may never be able to use Anthro online order again.

Consumer Increased Rating!

I just received a very kind, apologetic email from Abbie at the Free People head office. I feel like if my interactions had been with her all along, this would have been a very different experience. It's too bad companies unleash employees like Alexa on their valuable customers when they could have people like Abbie handle sensitive issues. I am satisfied that this has been resolved.

B. of Salt Lake City, UT on

Original Review

A few days ago I made an Anthropologie order. The order was immediately cancelled. So I tried again. Same thing. I got en email stating that the order had been cancelled. I called customer service to find out that my account was on "hold" and that they would contact me within 3 days. So yesterday was the third day, and I got this email: "Dear **, Urban Outfitters Inc. includes the following brands: Urban Outfitters, Anthropologie, Free People, BHLDN, and Terrain. Please note a hold was placed on the account due to Free People order ** which was placed on 11/27/2015. How did you obtain the gift card used on this order?"

Wow, is that accusatory or what? I logged into the Free People website to look at my past orders (and noted that I had spent well over a thousand dollars on freepeople.com in the year previous) and my account on my mobile app shows that I indeed paid for that order with a gift card. I found the receipt for the gift card and emailed it to her. Now, nothing. No response, no apology. No unlocking of my account.

Incidentally, the order I was trying to make this week was for a swimsuit that I wanted to take on a trip. Since it's been nearly 4 days, my window of getting it in time has closed. Also, when I made the initial order, the swimsuit was marked down. It is not marked down any longer. I did go ahead and order a swimsuit from another company, which is what I guess I'll continue to do because even after I responded to Alexa's email, here I am 24 hours later with no response from her.

I should also mention that over the past 6 months, I've continued to be bombarded with marketing emails from Anthro and Free People--no mention of an account hold. They're clearly still willing to advertise to me! Last week Anthropologie even sent me a link to take a survey for a 15% off code! I did the survey, got the code and wasted it on that cancelled order.

I had been shopping at anthropologie.com for 20 years and one day approximately 3 years ago, they blacklisted me form their website. They stated I had made too many returns. Anthropologie.com has always had an unconditional return policy and if for whatever reason you are unsatisfied with a product you can return it. Directly prior to anthropologie.com blacklisting me from shopping on their website, I had injured my back severely at work and had to do all my shopping at on their website. Knowing after 20 years of shopping with them that they had an unconditional return policy, I was forced to make all my returns to anthropologie.com.

I returned an item of clothing if it did not fit, if I did not like how it looked, if it made me look pregnant, fat, frumpy, etc. (like any other normal person would). Then one day in June of either 2013 or 2014, I had placed an order at anthropologie.com and received an email from them stating everything was cancelled. I called them and was told to contact returns and returns told me I could not shop at anthropologie.com because I returned items. After 20 years of shopping with them this is how they treated me! I shop at nordstrom.com, neimanmarcus.com, bloomingdales.com, amazon.com, etc and have to return items all the time and they never blacklisted me! Anthropologie does not stand by their return policy.

On 3/19/16 I placed an order for a curtain to replace one that had been damaged at my residence. In addition, I added a tee shirt and small intimate item since I was already being charged $13 in shipping charges anyway. On 3/22/16 I received an email saying that my order for the curtain had been cancelled. I promptly emailed customer service asking them to cancel the remaining items as I did not want to pay $13 shipping charges for $40 worth of merchandise. This was their response: "Thank you for reaching out to us. I am sorry to hear that an item has been cancelled from your recent order and that you would like to cancel the remaining items on your order. Unfortunately, I cannot make any changes or cancellations to your order once it has been placed. You are welcome to return any unwanted items with the SmartLabel from your packing slip. You can also return the merchandise to your local Anthropologie store for a full refund."

So essentially, I am to eat the $13 but, don't worry, I can also pay an additional $10 to ship the package back to their facility for my refund. Just know when placing an order you may have your items cancelled without notice and still be on the hook for their ridiculous shipping charges. Last time I order with this company that does not honor their commitments and then charges you for it.

This company is a rip off with overpriced cheap quality clothes and they overcharge on shipping costs and shipping is extremely slow! They overcharge me on one top $13 for shipping and it came 10 days later. When I ask for a refund on shipping since they over charged they said too bad. Poor customer service - no wonder they are losing sales.

Anthropologie online has the worst Customer Service I have ever received. Time and again they fail. This time it was my last order with Anthro! Anthro order- ** WAS ORDERED 12/20, Beautiful $300 Lamp. Was told it would be received before Christmas, then was told it would be received 12/31. Received the lamp ONLY with NO LAMP SHADE. After many many many follow-up emails trying to get a replacement, I received a DAMAGED LAMP SHADE on 1/12. Again sent many emails. And on 1/18 I received an email stating that UPS would pick up my shade so it could be replaced after it was returned. 1/19 put my package outside every am at 7 am and brought it back in every night at 8 pm.

As of today 1/27 NO UPS!! This was a gift and this is so embarrassing. However I was able to provide my sister with all my emails to show the GREAT attempt I made to get her what she thought would be her favorite lamp. I love the Anthro stores, sadly you people are the WORST AT CUSTOMER SERVICE!! I am returning the lamp to the Anthro store near me. I'm done!

I ordered approximately $400 worth of clothes from them back in 2009 (yes, that long ago). The items never showed up at my house. Oh, yes, they reshipped the lost items but they also marked my account in such a manner that anything I order EVER again (from SIX YEARS AGO) will be cancelled automatically. I have called them, emailed them, and all I get is "there's nothing I can do". What the heck?

I have orders delivered all the time from all kinds of companies and yes, once in a great while something doesn't make it (and yes, this is the ONLY order I have had an issue within 6 years -- odd, isn't it, especially after I read all the other complaints on this site about Anthropologie) but to ban a customer for life over this? I can't even order direct from a store or over the phone. They flat out will NOT ship to me -- not to my house, not to my office, not at ALL. I love this store but this pisses me off so bad that I badmouth them every chance I get. Worst. Service. Ever.

On January 13, 2016, at approximately 10:00 AM, I purchased an e-gift card as a gift. I received a message on my answering phone call from Anthropologie. The message asked that I call to verify my information so the order could be released (shipped/emailed). I returned the call; I spoke with Customer Service Representative, Darrell. She verified my information and assured me the e-card would be sent and received by 12:00, January 14, 2016.

It was not, so today, January 15, 2016, I called again. I spoke with David from Customer Service. He was very nice and pleasant as he gathered the information. He placed me on hold and sent me to another department, Order Processing, Mark. From the moment Mark started talking he was rude. He blamed me for the problems, I spoke with the wrong department and called me a liar. How was I to know I spoke with the wrong department. I am highly offended that someone of his poor skill level would represent Anthropologie. I will never purchase from them again. I will not spend my money at a store where I am treated so disrespectfully.

I have never been so dissatisfied with a retailer. I placed an order from Anthropologie's online site on Monday, January 4. After checking my email regularly and wondering why I still had yet to receive an order confirmation several days after placing the order, I went to the site to read about shipping policy and see if there was something I had missed. The site clearly states that an order will be delivered within 5-7 business days from the day the order is placed. I went with the standard shipping option, however still had to pay $10.95 in order to supposedly get my items within the 5-7 day mark.

After several days of hearing nothing about my order, I used the Anthropologie online contact form to message their customer service center to inquire why my order had not shipped and to request an estimated delivery date. This was on Friday, January 8. Their site states that their customers will receive an email response within 24-48 hours, which I did not. Still unclear as to what was going on with my order, I messaged their customer service center again on Sunday, January 10. After not receiving a response within 24 hours, I decided to call.

I talked to a customer service rep. today on the phone and explained that I had messaged twice with no response, had still not received a shipping confirmation, and had no idea where my order was. I explained that the order status states online "Has Yet to Ship," although I placed the order 7 days ago. I told him that I need to cancel the order because I am leaving the country on Thursday, January 14 and it makes no sense for me to receive the items once I am living overseas. I placed the order on January 4, assuming that would provide enough time to receive the items before moving out of the country, as I placed the order 1.5 weeks before my departure date.

I was told that he had no idea why the order had not shipped and why I had not received any customer service responses to my messages. He also explained that the order is coming from one of their stores and that they must just "be backed up from the holidays." I told him that I need to cancel b/c I don't want the items to arrive after I leave and be stuck with the shipping charges and then put the burden on my parents to return the items for me. The customer service rep. said that they could just refuse the order and that it would then get sent back to the store, and that I should eventually receive a refund. However, packages are always just dropped off on our front porch, as no one is required to sign for online clothing deliveries, which means that there is likely no way to refuse the order without knowing exactly when the shipment is arriving and then attempting to be home at that time to refuse the package!

I asked why I could not just cancel the order now and receive a refund (my card has already been charged) to which he said he wasn't sure if he would be able to get in touch with the said store that the items are coming from before they ship them because the order is now listed as "processing" and he can't guarantee that they don't ship them out to arrive after I leave. I'm very disappointed in the lack of customer service and especially disappointed that I will not be receiving my items in time for my move overseas.

As it is January 11 and the items have not shipped, I cannot imagine they will arrive by Wednesday, January 13. I think what is most disappointing is the lack of response from your online customer service center and a lack of any sort of email or update as to why my order still has not been confirmed or shipped 7 days after placing the order online. I do not plan on ordering from your online site again and hope that you come up with better methods of organization for communicating with your customers when there is an issue with their order instead of leaving them wondering why they have not received their items.

Holy Crap. I never write reviews online and always take people's online outbursts with a grain of salt but man do I wish that I had somehow seen this site before I wasted all this time fighting with this garbage company. I originally ordered two dresses a couple weeks ago using one of their sale-items-only promo codes for 25%. I also had JUST signed up for an Anthropologie account right before my order. The two dresses I ordered together came to somewhere between $50-60... so I was very excited. I can't remember the exact amount because after hitting submit order, I never received a confirmation of purchase in my email and the order didn't show up in my account order history. I thought that was strange and decided to wait a day since maybe they were being slow since sales can be a bit crazy.

The next day I still had not received any order confirmation nor was there any sign of an order in my account history. However, they sure did keep all my credit card information AND charge my credit card $87. What? I contacted customer service online and afterwards noticed that this charge disappeared a few days later... but they never even responded to my inquiry and there was still no evidence of my order or order number anywhere. I thought that "eh, this company sucks" but I'm just going to assume they didn't have those dresses in stock since it was such a good deal. Oh, it was not over then. A few days later I saw a NEW charge on my credit card from them a good week after my original order for $59. GREAT, I thought, maybe this is my two dresses! I contacted customer service through their website AGAIN but no response.

Because I was still puzzled over not receiving an order confirmation or any proof of purchase, I finally contacted them through direct email and got a response just yesterday. However, the day before, I received ONE of the dresses in the mail for its full sale price before I applied my promo code. Then, I didn't know what happened until they FINALLY responded in an email last night saying that one of the dresses wasn't in stock so they canceled it. That would have been a great thing to know! Also a great thing to know is that they apparently don't honor promo codes. I should probably also add that I tried calling customer service too but I just got a recorded message saying that they were busy and then got hung up on.

Long story short: If you shop online on Anthropologie, you may just be charged random amounts and not receive any status updates on your order. Maybe you will get one of your items! Maybe you will get them all!! Maybe you will get charged twice what you expected!!! You may receive a reply from their mysterious customer service in one or 6 days!!! Isn't submitting your credit card information online and not knowing what's going to come of it so thrilling? Come one, come all to the ** ride that is shopping Anthropologie.com.

If you're going to charge hundreds of dollars for dresses (that frankly aren't worth that much), at least provide decent customer service. That is really the LEAST you can do. I've dealt with Ebay sellers from across the globe who speak little English and they have been more transparent than this useless company. After my own recent experience and reading about some of the annoying experiences of other folks on here, all I have to say is: NEVER AGAIN.

I am very disappointed. Their staff is rude and goods are overpriced and falls apart anyway. Clothes design has really gone down the hill, too much synthetic material. You should go to this overpriced place only if you like to enjoy rude poor trained customer service. Customer service is close to nothing In Anthropologie. My $139 shoes from Anthropologie last about 3 months only, pretty but very poor quality.

I am highly frustrated with the poor handling of order **. I ordered the Lombok bed on July 26, 2015. After 3 months, I finally get the notification the bed is ready and I had to refuse the delivery 2x due to delivery of an incomplete bed. And Anthropologie's service related to the incidents have been dismal. I am very disappointed as I thought I was dealing with a professional business but my experience has shown that there are a LOT of process gaps in addressing customer service.

The first time (10/6), only the headboard was in the truck. When I contacted Anthropologie on the phone, the customer service agent was not familiar on how to deal with a incorrect furniture delivery and could not articulate next steps very clearly so I declined the delivery. I contacted Anthropologie after 4 days (10/10) because I have not heard back about my order and I'm told to WAIT and someone will get to me. A WEEK later (10/14), someone finally reaches out to me. I inform them that I declined the order due to incomplete parts. She stated she was new and the process is different for missing parts as opposed to a whole order. I responded I was interested in the whole bed, if they can find the rest of it.

A couple days later, I was notified that the remainder of the bed was found and they delivery company would contact me to schedule delivery. Another week later, a delivery was confirmed and scheduled for 10/29. The bed was delivered with incorrect parts AGAIN! To state I am irate and upset at the lack of attention to detail and customer service is demoralizing. I am a good and regular customer of Anthropologie and I expect more, especially at these prices. At this point, I'm not sure I want this bed at all... or any furniture. This is absolutely ridiculous that you couldn't get a delivery of this magnitude correct 2x in a row...For shame! Now I'm waiting for a refund... Waiting, waiting, waiting...

Dealing with Anthropologie online has been extremely frustrating and inconvenient. I purchased a quilt, four pillow shams and a European case that was on sale and advertised to be an additional 30% off. I used a gift card for the purchase and the remaining amount was to be charged to my debit card. The pillow cases arrived but the quilt never did. I noticed that my bank account was charged three different times, never for the amount I approved. They charged me an extra $100 for the bedding that never shipped. When I called the first time, the company couldn't explain the extra charges but reimbursed me. They assured me the quilt would be shipped out on September 29th.

After never receiving a confirmation for the shipment, I called for the second time. I spoke to a manager who's name was Emily. She was disrespectful and downright rude. She told me there was no records of a purchase. Luckily I still had the gift card in my possession so she could track the order. The quilt was no longer available and I was never notified or refunded, and was never going to be. After much arguing she agreed to send me half the refund to a gift card and a shipping label to return the pillow cases. The likelihood that I will use this gift card is slim. I have always enjoyed shopping with this company but after the treatment I received, I will not again.

I love Anthropologie clothing but their customer service leaves something to be desired in relation to returns. They readily charge your credit card for a purchase but take upwards of 1 month to credit a return. I returned something to a store, 3 phone calls to Anthro, 2 weeks and no credit on my card. Finally called my credit card company who immediately issued a credit. Very poor service and no one seemed to really care. I question how good their business is as they are constantly having sales. I personally am done shopping there!!

I have had too many problems with purchasing stuff from Anthropologie online to list each incident in detail, but the unifying theme is always this: their customer service absolutely stinks. The latest slap in the face is their refusal to cover return shipping for an item of clothing that was markedly different from the photo and description online (the photo had been altered to fade out an oddly neon color on the garment, something I later confirmed by checking the listing on several computers and other devices).

Other matters I have had to fight customer service over (and it is always a fight, as I always have to request a manager to intercede) include a "washable" item that dissolved in the wash, an extremely delicate and expensive "object" made of porcelain that arrived in pieces because no care was taken in packing it for shipping, clothing sent to me shopworn and dirty, and clearly defective goods shipped to me when they should have been inspected before shipping.

The worst fracas I experienced was over an order in which they charged me more than $400 for an item I ordered but did not receive, and instead mistakenly sent me an item that retailed for around $80. Then, after I returned that incorrect item, they contacted me and demanded a credit card number (I had paid with PayPal, which will not allow a vendor to initiate a new transaction) so they could charge me again. Keep in mind that I was already out a few hundred dollars for something they did not provide, and now they were accusing me of -- essentially -- theft. They later sent me a slanderous letter telling me I was no longer allowed to buy anything from them online, and listed several (factually incorrect) accusations. I was able to clear this up, but I never received an apology even though they confirmed they were in error.

Anthro is over-the-top awful, in every way, when it comes to customer relations. I have received snide e-mails from Anthro employees, and I have had them yell at me and talk over me on the phone. If they don't want to deal with you, they simply ignore your e-mails. I keep forgiving them, but I have finally had it. No more Anthro for me. Ever.

I was in my local store. They didn't have my size in an item so said they'd order. 2 weeks later no coat. They told me back ordered, month later no coat, back ordered. I then called customer service and they told me it wasn't back ordered. They just wouldn't allow me to buy from them. My account was on hold and they had no idea why. I called my local store. They were great (Myrtle Beach). Finally someone tracked down that back in April. I ordered a necklace that arrived broken. Literally the main stone in it was separated from the necklace. I sent back the next day but didn't send it using their label. I got my credit back and figured all was good.

FOUR months later, they tell me they never received the necklace return, and that they had already credited my card back without the necklace being back in their hands. I didn't ask for that. I didn't even know Anthro did that. Now they claim they credited me back but never got the return and unless I can show proof that they got the return or pay for the necklace again, my account will be on hold.

The necklace was awful quality. They should never credit back a card without return in hand. I didn't ask for my money back prior to them receiving the return. They should have let me know back in April that they were having an issue. I've since shopped in the store and they've allowed me to give them money. The necklace has been long gone, and it's just been too long ago for me to prove it was returned, and I've spent about 2500 with them over the past two years, so to lose a customer over a really poor quality necklace that you claim you never got, but you credited me back for, just doesn't seem worth it.

The saving grace here is that Myrtle Beach is only an hour away, and the management team there is top notch. If it wasn't for them, I'd never give another dime to this company. The other problem is you kept telling me an item was back ordered, for over 30 days. At that point you should have told the truth and that you have suspended my account. I've really never had anything like this happen. Sad, love their clothes. Kylie and Tara in Myrtle Beach at least know how to accept money from a paying customer and are very good at what they do.

Anthropologie Company Profile