Urban Outfitters

3.4/5 (1181 ratings)

About Anthropologie

Anthropologie Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Anthropologie?

Original review: Jan. 13, 2023

Anthropologie has the worst customer service for a brand that charges so much for an ok quality products. I’ve had to encounter unfortunately their customer service twice for an item I returned via mail and an item that I’ve never received. For the first issue, it took them two months to refund the money after contacting their VP of customer service; for the second issue, it’s still ongoing for an item I’ve never received.

The tracking company asked me to contact the seller ASAP, if I hadn’t received the package within two business days. I contacted Anthro even after the shipping company claimed this package as lost. They’re still not refunding my money. It is unbelievable and I hope you guys don’t have to deal with their customer service for any of these issues ever. This basically got me cold feet not to shop from them again. They need to revisit their customer service regulations. They’re basically not willing to refund money and trying to stall as much as possible not to resolve your issue.. They told me tracking still said it is in transit whereas on my end it says it’s been delivered to NA which is not the destination. I ended up disputing.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2023

I recent went to Anthropologie in the Rockefeller Center area and for the first time purchased me a beautiful pair of pajamas. They were sold separately and cost me $150.00. This is definitely on the high end. The colors and design were so beautiful I just said this is what I will buy. I washed them and they shrunk. Unbelievable at this price point that they were not pretreated for this to not happen. I am very very disappointed. Will never purchase another piece of clothing from them again. I have pajamas that are from $10.00-$40.00 and nothing ever happened to them. This is shameful...

Get buying tips about Online Shopping Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2022

3rd party vendors did a shoddy job of assembling, was always loose and wobbly daybed. Given the hassle, I kept it, and recently learned from my handyman they left a whole row of bolts empty. No recourse for the exorbitant price outside the window.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2022

Placed an order for a dress on November 26th. Got an email shortly thereafter (November 27th) that the order had shipped. Checked tracking for a week and the order remained in "awaiting carrier pickup" for a week. Called customer service who assured me it was in transit. Called back a week later as the status of the order had not changed and they told me the package was not in transit and they had no idea what happened or where it was. Told them I wanted the item I ordered shipped out asap as I had purchased the dress for a special occasion. After much back and forth and getting a supposed supervisor involved they agreed to ship a replacement as fast a possible. It's now December 16th and the replacement order still has not been shipped. Absolutely brutal and will NEVER buy another thing from this company ever.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2022

Anthropologie provides a return code you are to scan at USPS. After following their directions Anthropologie claims they haven’t received the package and they cannot trace their own scanning system. I am not an internet shopper and this company gave me an unfavorable experience. I will take this as an expensive lesson and NEVER use this company again.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2022

I bought an Anthropologie gift card from a discount gift card retailer and used in for an online purchase. Ultimately a couple of the items did not work so I returned them and received an e-merch credit. Later the card I used was reported as fraudulent so Anthro put a hold on my account. I didn't know there was a hold until I went to make another purchase (from Free People who is owned by the same company as Anthro) and the order was cancelled immediately. Once I got in touch with the company, they told me what happened then released the hold. What they DID NOT tell me was that they clawed back the entire e-merch credit, even thought he credit was MORE than the gift card I used. So basically, Anthropologie would rather STEAL from a customer then keep one.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2022

This company sells beautiful, high quality items in store. However, if you make the mistake of ordering something online and it doesn't arrive (happened to me twice now), their customer service is horrendous! Just trying to talk to a person is impossible, then when you leave your number they will call back, but it will go like this, "My name is Barimchi and I can't hear you so you'll have to call back." That was my exact call. Stated super fast, the only reason I knew her name is Anthropologie sent me a survey to see how she was doing. LOL right?? I could hear dogs barking and people laughing in the background. This was 3 hours after I had waited on hold for 30 minutes and left my number. In other words, we are not helping you. My daughter has had the same experience. We decided we are done with this place, we can items just as nice at other stores. Enjoy the stores if you wish, but NEVER order online.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2022

I have been a loyal customer to Anthropologie for a decade now. I've always praised the company's unique & beautiful designs to all of my friends & family. I knew every single item w/in the catalogs & each item I came across an Anthropologie piece of work from anyone I interacted with, I knew the season & year items came from. I truly was Obsessed. Many of my friends, family & employees told me to work for Anthropologie because I was constantly advocating for them. For me, I saw Anthropologie as a vision of how everyone should be or look to be: Unique & Beautiful in their own way w/o shying away from what others would think - thus, being Confident & Empowered to be themselves.

I always felt this way about Anthropologie until the past few weeks. I have 2 incidents in particular that have made me come to the saddening decision that I will never shop at this store again & it makes me tear up to say this. The first is w/ trying to obtain my Registry Gift List. I had recently been married in June 2022 & had received several items from guests; however, most of the packages did not depict whom had purchased these items. Also, some of these items were never received. I tried for months to either receive a list of whom had purchased what & when I can expect the rest of the items that had been purchased by guests, but I never have received any updates to alleviate my issues. When going into the stores, the employees try to be helpful, but they too were unsure on how to resolve my issue.

My second issue pertains to: trying to make an online purchase thru their website for my Grandfather's Induction into the Athletic Hall of Fame this past weekend. However, each time I had tried placing the order, w/in 12-24 hrs, the order was cancelled. I would receive an email notifying me: The order was cancelled; however, it did not disclose to me why the order was cancelled. The first 2 times I placed the order, I thought it was due to my bank account or was the wrong billing address. So, I tried again, & it continued to not work. After the third cancellation, I decided to reach out to customer service. Unbeknownst to me, my account was put on hold. Although Customer was extremely kind & helpful, they were unable to see why my orders continued to be cancelled. What was depicted to me was they would file a record to have someone reach out to me w/in 24-48 hrs & if I don't, to call Customer Service again.

I did exactly as told & after 48 hrs, I had called them back & conducted the same steps. I continued to do these steps for 3 weeks. After the third week, I explained the situation to another very kind Customer Service Representative named Devin, & instead of filing a record, he provided me the phone # to call to resolve the "Account Hold." After thanking Devin for his assistance, I reached out to the phone # given. However, unlike my previous experiences w/ kind & helpful Customer Service Representatives, I was greeted immediately w/ an extremely Rude, Disrespectful & Accusatory Dispute Representative. Again, unbeknownst to me, my account was put on hold for an order that was shipped to the wrong address months ago:

Months ago: My husband & I had just been married & moved into my grandfathers' home in Indiana. We were a few days in & had my brother-in-law's wedding w/in a week & a Family Mountain House Trip immediately following. Since we had just moved from TX to IN, we didn't have any idea where our swimsuits were. So, I had decided to order this very cute, unique & sophisticated bikini from Anthro. When going thru Checkout I use PayPal because it has all of my CC & banking info needed to easily complete my purchase. To this tho, since we had just moved to my grandfather's house, I physically typed into PayPal & double checked on Anthro's website: my shipping address matched my grandfather's address (since we just got there 2 days ago) & I ensured my billing address matched my previous housing address since I had not updated my billing address for my bank accounts.

After double checking this info multiple times, I hit submit on the order. The website stated my order was placed & I would receive the items in time to our traveling down for my brother-in-law's wedding/Mt. House Trip. However, a few days later when out shopping for some housing goods, I had noticed the order was being shipped to an outdated address & billed to an outdated address from >4 yrs.

I immediately called Anthro's Customer Service, explained to them I know I did not enter the wrong address because I had typed in the new address & double checked both PayPal & Anthro prior to hitting submit order & the Rep. was very calm & handled the situation perfectly. She had stated to me "There was nothing that she could do from her end since the product had already shipped. This happens all the time w/our systems where if there's a new address added or if there's a glitch in the system, it can sometimes refer to an old address which this appears to be that case. It's completely fine - What I recommend you do is to see if you can retrieve the package myself or from a friend or if not applicable to contact your CC company & notify them that I had not received my package due to being sent to the wrong address. This way you can get your money back from the order & not be punished for it."

After thanking her for her help & assurance, I followed the steps as she had stated: I sent my family over to my previous address - which failed. Then, I had reached out to PayPal & notified them the package was sent to the wrong address. PayPal issued me a refund & I didn't hear a thing from Anthro until I reached out to the Dispute Representative that's now referring to this incident.

As stated above the Dispute Rep. was extremely Rude, Disrespectful & Accusatory. His response to my asking why my account was on hold was: "Ma'am you placed an order & after receiving your order decided to return the order & submitted a dispute w/ your PayPal Account that you never received the order when you clearly did. Are you ready to pay for the amount you owe?" I was taken aback by what I was accused of & calmly stated to him: What happened w/ what I disclosed above in hopes there might be some understanding.

After my explanation, the Dispute Rep stated well "Ma'am our systems never glitch, no, yeah, You, put that address in & You Must Pay for your mistakes & these are the consequences you face when You decide to file a dispute w/ an order you receive." I then stated to him I felt it was quite unfair to be punished for following the advice of a Customer Rep, it was unfair to be punished for the actions of another individual whom I have no control over, it was unfair to be punished for something I know I did do - type in the correct address & how it's also unfair to be held hostage to paying for an unreceived order or being banned from shopping at Anthro for life despite being a loyal customer w/ all of these companies for as many years as I had.

His responses thereafter were, "Ma'am I don't care how much you have spent or if we're your Wedding Registry or whether you believe you're a loyal customer or who's at fault for your mistakes, & even if you don't have access to that address you are responsible for anyone taking your package & returning it to the store." This was also the case when asking to speak to a manager or trying to reason w/ this individual.

After coming to the realization that either I have to pay for this order I had never received & for my previous home's owners actions of returning the order or being banned, I gave him a grand Goodbye & started to reflect on the ordeal. I was in tears. I loved Anthro & have never given them a reason to lose trust in me as a customer. I have spent far more than I should have & loved to purchase their items as gifts to friends & talk about their items to others. & to hear this one individual's stance of me is shattering & provides me w/ clarity as to how Anthropologie truly feels about me => Nothing, a Criminal, a Nobody, a Liar & Thief. I know the customer isn't always right, but to be treated in this manner is completely unacceptable & should never be tolerated by anyone. Everyone deserves much more respect than this & I hope this is never the case w/anyone else...

When reflecting and researching why I was being treated this way, I came across the following article where several customers had endured the same experiences: **. After reviewing this article in disbelief, reflecting on my most recent experiences I came to my husband & asked him for his advice. He decided to investigate himself by contacting Customer Service & the Dispute Rep & Researched online - he unfortunately was met w/ the same obstacles (mind you, he's much more calm & understanding than me) & his response to everything he had heard from myself & his own experiences was we're returning everything from the Registry, we are never shopping from this place again and everything that we have not used is getting returned too.

No one should be treated in this manner especially when spending a lot of money on goods, no one should encounter as many obstacles w/ trying to spend their money on something as expensive as Anthro & we will not endorse a company that has proven to be an advocate of treating others in this manner. For him to come to such a definitive stance like this is enough for me to draw the line & never go back.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2022

Many of the clothes on Anthropologie do not look like they do in person. Example: colors may be vibrant in photos and very washed out in person. Also, their return policy is horrible. You can return an item, they receive it within a few days, but they take 2-3 weeks to issue a refund AFTER they have received the item(s). Overall, their items (mostly made in China) are too pricey for the quality, and the customer service is lacking.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2022

I purchased two hanging pendant lights, and inspected them upon receipt to check for damage. A few months later when I went to hang them up in my new home, I noticed that the box only contained the shades and none of the hardware that was supposed to be included (we purchased the hard wired versions). I immediately contacted Anthropologie to ask if the hardware was sent separately? They said no, it should be in the box. But there was nothing. Shockingly, the company is refusing to send the missing hardware/light component and they are also refusing to refund the purchase because I received it more than 30 days ago.

This feels like a scam. I am truly bewildered that a company as big as Anthropologie and with its reputation would take this position. Basically, buyer beware to anyone who buys from this company that is selling expensive home products without taking any responsibility for its own errors or about the fact it is selling goods that can’t even be used for their intended purpose.

I would expect this from some random cheap company trying to scam people out of a quick buck but not from a company like Anthropologie. Now I have two oversized lamp shades that are completely worthless to me. Truly shocking experience! A message to Anthropologie executives: you will have zero staying power if you treat customers like this. Customers: stick to the Crate &Barrels and CB2s of the world, who have real customer service.

Anthropologie Company Information