1.06/5

Urban Outfitters

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

109 Anthropologie Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I made a online purchase from Anthropologie.com for a $105.00 pair of jeans in December 2018. They were stolen from my porch. After talking to all of my neighbors, I called and reported it the next day. I explained to the customer service rep and she said that they waive signatures for delivery and that she would credit my account. Nothing was credited. I called the following week and was told that I should have waited a few days to report it to make sure that it was stolen. The rep told me again that it would be credited. I called the following week because there was no credit.

I was told that they were sending me a gift card. I asked why and she didn't know. Then I was told that they would cancel the gift card and send it to their financial services for review and then credit my account. Nothing happened. I called the following week and spoke to the rep and she said that I would not be getting my credit because whoever stole my package returned it for a gift card and used it. I spoke to her supervisor who then reiterated this and told me to file a police report. I'm furious! I have literally spent several thousand dollars with them in the past 4 months. I had several other packages stolen that day and Ulta immediately replaced the items. Shame on Anthropologie. I will never purchase another thing from them again and will tell others this story. I have contacted my bank and they are crediting my account and investigating. How a company can waive a signature for delivery and not stand by their mistake is appalling.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I placed an order with @Anthropologie selecting overnight shipping. @Anthropologie shipped the order the same day with expected delivery the next day. UPS however, did not deliver it until 3 days after the date it was originally scheduled to arrive. The issue I have is @Anthropologie refuses to submit a claim to UPS to get their freight refunded and they refuse to give me a credit for the freight I paid them. The site requires me to make a star selection but they do not deserve a single star.

Get expert buying tips about Online Shopping Websites delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

First of all, what happened to this company? Sounds like it was handed over to all of the Philadelphia hood rats to manage. Every person you speak to over the phone is some ratchet chic making snide comments, barely speaking literate English and plain rude. This is not the same Anthropologie that offered unparalleled service 10-15 years ago. I had of their ** agents help me place an order during Xmas time when their website was down, she ordered the incorrect shoes for me. I tried to take them back in my local store, was told no shoe returns. WTF?! Why.

Called CS, was told by another ** agent who was speaking **, that stores don't accept returns. Is that listed as a disclaimer on their checkout page? NO. It is only when you dig deep into their FAQ section about returns, do you see the fine print about no shoes being returned in store. That is a HUGE inconvenience for customers. The stores can sell shoes, but can't accept returns of them. OKAYYY. That makes a lot of damn sense. Secondly, they expect you to pay for $6 return fee for them sending you the wrong shoes. Lastly, they don't offer exchanges. What a horrendous company Anthro has become. Stop hiring ** girls to answer your phones who have an IQ of a pet mouse.a

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I ordered a $400 lamp and Anthro sent me a basket with an invoice for the lamp. Ok, fine. I returned the basket to the NYC Chelsea location and asked for a refund, as I never got what I ordered. It took the employee there about half an hour to figure out how to process the return because, apparently, Anthropologie's systems aren't set to handle incorrectly shipped items. The employee was patient and she did her best, and I eventually got refunded.

Until a month later when Anthropologie emailed, saying they've reprocessed the $400 charge because I never returned the lamp... That they didn't even send in the first place. I sent two emails to try to resolve the situation, was ignored twice. So I opened up a dispute with my credit card company. Now, as expected, my Anthro account is on hold. The upcoming furniture orders I had in the account, which totaled $3k and had yet to ship, will likely be canceled. But it's probably for the best. The level of failure here is astounding. There was a supply chain failure, then a CRM failure, and finally a customer service failure. If Anthropologie wants to be successful in this era of e-commerce, they've got a lot of catching up to do.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

So today, I attempted to question a receipt total resulting from a return for my elderly mother. The clerk could not tell me why I returned a $138 item, bought $198 in new merchandise and got charged on my card $117. She handed me the receipt and told ME to take it to a manager! I told her that I do not have a name tag nor a W-2 from Anthropologie therefore I don’t know WTH the managers even are! The manager then proceeded to use the calculator on my iPhone and could not explain it. Turns out, the whole incident was because the original clerk put two of my returns on an in-store credit card that I never even saw. “Credit” on the receipt meant in-store, not my personal card - but nobody could explain that to me because they didn’t even know it. I’d say they need to focus more on getting employees with a higher IQ than just those who wear their brand well.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Anthropologie?

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I ordered a candle that my daughter wanted for Christmas on Nov 26. It was in stock and to be shipped out in 2 days. Two days later they changed the ship out date to Dec. 4th, so I contacted a representative who promised me that the candle would arrive by Christmas with absolutely "no problem." But, they moved the ship out date again... This time to the 14th. Then it changed to the 18th, so I contacted them and was once again promised Christmas delivery. Sigh. But, a couple of days later, the ship out date was pushed back to the 21st... Then (a day later) to the 25th... And now it's the 29th. I'm no longer able to reach a representative. So, I would be extremely cautious if planning on ordering anything online---even a month in advance.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I always have a terrific in-store shopping experience at the OKC location. However, I can't get anyone to tell me why there has been a hold on my online shopping account. My order gets canceled 5 minutes after I place an order. It's not a credit card issue. These purchase attempts are showing up on my statement. I've never returned anything online and have been waiting for days for a response from the financial department. Has this happened to anyone else? Trying to get my last minute Christmas orders in!!!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

Anthropologie was my favorite brand and retailer for well over a decade — I love the beautiful clothing and in-store environment. But now that has all changed. Way back in November I placed an order online for a pair of pants that were meant to be a Christmas gift. I don't know how it happened, but a week or so later, after never having received the package, I checked my email for a shipping confirmation — the confirmation was there, but the ship-to address listed was a home address I've long moved from, in another state.

Frantically, I called customer service to make an attempt to fix this error. The rep I spoke to was pleasant, said that the packaged had been returned as "undeliverable," and would be reshipped to my current, correct address. Problem solved, or so I thought. A week later, I received an email from customer service now stating that the package had been delivered (to the wrong address), and since it had been delivered, it was my responsibility to get the package from the delivered-to location. Keep in mind that I have no idea who lives at the location it was shipped to, and I now live in another state, so that is an impossibility.

I called customer service again to attempt to find some clarity (was it returned as undeliverable, or was it delivered, which is it) and recourse, and was told repeatedly, "I know it's frustrating but that is our policy," and there was nothing they could do. So two weeks before Christmas I'm left with two options: Pay for the item again, resulting in it costing me double the price, and hope it arrives at the correct location in time, or count it as a total loss on my end. Hands down, easily, the worst customer service I've experienced in my life.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I live in France and attempted to order an item from the Anthropologie European website. My payment would not go through. I contacted my bank, and they told me there was a problem with the Anthro site security, Visa would not approve payments. I called the Anthro customer service number. The woman was utterly clueless about technical issues with the site. I asked if they had a tech support person I could talk to. She said no. I asked if I could make payment by phone or fax, she said no. What is wrong with this company?

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I live in NJ and purchased a jacket from Anthropologie online recently. After the order went through, I noticed that the sales tax was not removed from the total price (clothing are sales tax exempted in NJ). I immediately followed up with customer service via email. After a number of emails and delayed responses from Anthropologie - first telling me they would be happy to process my sales tax refund, then to say my order was not eligible and then to say they need to look into it some more - they came back with a final answer to simply say the request was denied.

At no point did anyone from customer service provided me with an explanation on why the sales tax was charged on a sales tax exempted item in the first place or why they cannot provide me with a refund of the sales tax that was charged in error. I encountered a similar sales tax issue with only one other online retailer in the past couple of years and that retailer promptly acknowledged their error and provided me with a refund. Needless to say, this will be my one and only online shopping experience with Anthropologie.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I used the mobile website to order a necklace. I ordered from Canada where there are plenty of stores in my province. I paid a hefty charge for shipping, which I was okay with because I liked the convenience of delivery. My credit card statement showed I was charged in USD so not only was the fee greater by over $20, but I was also charged a conversion fee on top of that from my CC company. I then received an email that my package incurred taxes and duty charges in which doubled the price of my original purchase. I voiced my dissatisfaction via email with "Alexis" and felt the response was condescending and not helpful at all.

I then called the customer service line and spoke to a nice woman who also tried to speak with two different managers to help me. The company took no responsibility for lack of currency information on the mobile website and provided no suggestions on how to rectify the issue. They simply said, "there are no distribution centers in Canada". Apparently we are just supposed to know that fact as Canadian consumers. At the end I was offered 20% off, which is humorous because I am charged 45% more if I use their website again. I will not shop here or any connecting companies again.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

Please do yourself a favor and DO NOT SHOP ON ANTHROPOLOGIE ONLINE!! THEY ARE AWFUL. BE WARNED! They will lie and lie to you and get you stuck with their crappy products! The worst company I have ever dealt with. WOW I wish I would read these other reviews before I ordered. NEVER AGAIN!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

DO NOT SHOP HERE IF YOU DON'T LIVE IN USA. I ordered some items online - to be delivered to Australia. When I opened the delivery they had clearly sent me the wrong items. I contacted them to request a refund or exchange. They said that for me to get a refund or exchange, I would have to pay the cost of returning the items. I understand that the consumer should pay this cost if it is because they change their mind. But if the company is at fault, they should be the ones to pay to rectify it. It would cost me nearly as much to return the items as I would get refunded. Disgraceful.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

We ordered a sofa in August. It was supposed to ship by October 31st. We received an email saying it would ship by November 7th. We called that week and were told it would ship within the next week. We called the week after that and were told the vendor had not responded to a request for updated information. The customer service representative promised to email the vendor and then email us within 48 hours. This promise was not kept. We have received no email and no sofa. Very disappointing. We are going to cancel the order.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

International customer there was nothing on their website to indicate currency. Only when payment went to PayPal did I realise it was in the wrong currency. I immediately notified company within 5 minutes to cancel order. Something I have done in past and the company has immediately cancelled and returned payment. They informed me order had progressed too far and they could not cancel. The order said not yet sent. I again told them to stop. They said I could refuse acceptance when it arrived. I am in another country so this is impractical probably impossible. 2 days later still not shipped. They are dishonest. Do not deal with them.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

Do not order from Anthropologie, it’s a nightmare!! I put in the wrong billing address by accident and hit submit: There is no edit order spot and I called to find out that they blocked my account because I mistakenly put in the wrong address!! I have to wait 2 days for someone to call me back! Customer service was terrible, they couldn’t help me at all! There are much better online businesses out there!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

Visited your new beautiful Devon, PA. store end of October. Layout is beautiful. Selection of products is endless. Could have spent 3 hrs there. The problem is the sales associates. They were not all on same page in regards to store policy and they failed to follow through in customer assistance. I left sooner than I would have liked as salesperson had left my friend high and dry in a dressing room with no clothing. She “forgot” about her. The story goes on and on. After about a week of travel, I contacted store with my concerns. Spoke with one the managers. She took all my personal information and promised follow up. 2 weeks later have not heard a word. If the managers aren’t great in the customer service area, the sales associates certainly will not be either.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I’ve placed 2 online orders with Anthropologie recently, both of which were canceled. I received an email a mere 6 minutes after placing order 1, they state “We were unable to reach you by email to resolve this issue prior to cancellation” - however I received no such email. After reaching out to customer support asking them why order was canceled thinking it was a mistake, “Shea” replied, “Thanks for reaching out to us. Unfortunately, your order was cancelled because we did not receive a response to our phone call or email asking you to call and verify your order. We require this type of verification to protect you as a customer.“

I received no calls in those 6 minutes either. I’m not sure why Anthropologie feels the need to flat-out lie about the situation, when I am a customer trying to buy their products (which I no longer am, due to these experiences). Shea did not respond, so some days later I ping them again and ask them if they have a free shipping code or so.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

This weekend Anthro is running a 25% of ALL jumpsuit sale. I attempted to purchase one, and the discount was not applied in the cart as stated. I called customer service and was first told that it might be that I’m not logged in. I explained that I was. I was then told that particular jumpsuit might not be eligible. The banner clearly states “all dresses and jumpsuits”; it was. Last I was told that although I had it in my cart and was able to purchase the jumpsuit at full price, that the site is not in real time and they are out of stock on that item in my size. I asked what would happen if I purchased it full price online as clearly the website had it in stock. I was told I would get a notice that it was no longer available after purchasing. There is nothing they can do.

I am not a picky person but this is the worst customer service I have experienced. If there is really nothing they can do that is pretty surprising. Why is it still available to buy on the website when it supposedly is out of stock? If they know the site is not in real time why don’t they do something about it like every other website online?

From the get go the women I spoke to, one of which was named Brandy were apathetic, sounded half asleep, and clearly could care less about anything other than ending the phone call. Reading the other reviews on here I am shocked that a company with high price points like Anthropologie can get away with treating their customers so badly and having such a low level of customer service. If I am unable to remedy my issue through email I will no longer be a customer of Anthropologie. It seems like they do not care about their consumers. Nordstrom’s customer service could teach them a thing or two.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Received broken items 3 times, still not received. It's been 5 months since original purchase, now they ask to cancel the order! Imagine taking a vacation day just to receive a piece of furniture and receiving a destroyed version instead of the image you buy online instead of a solid, legitimate piece of furniture... and it happens 3 times. Horrible store. Buy somewhere else.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

I have been an Anthro member for years. I also have had challenges over the years with receiving the wrong item than what I ordered. I brought one of these items to my local store to return, and they refused to take it back. They said it wasn’t the correct item. Absolutely, that’s what I told them. I called customer service and they said to mail the item back but they couldn’t waive the $5.95 return shipping. Huh??? They ship me the wrong item. Now make me pay to ship it back on their error? Makes no sense. On another note, some of the brands they carry, you can get the same top at Nordstrom cheaper. The brand Moon River is not an Anthro brand. They mark these items up - I saw the same exact top at Nordstrom full price for $15 cheaper.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

I ordered two items for my sister in California for her birthday that is today, September 21st. These items were ordered on September 18th and, upon checkout, I was given my expected arrival date of September 20th (**)- great, the items will arrive on time. To my surprise, yesterday (9/20) I received the shipping information for the items as they were to would ship that day (9/20). I paid for 2 day shipping to ensure delivery was before my sister's birthday as well. So I called into the support line and brought this up (on 9/20) and I was quickly informed that every shipment takes 2-3 days "processing" time to verify payment information for "my security". So I scoured the page looking for this information and, of course, it is in the fine print at the bottom of the page (**).

The problem with this "security" processing is that I accidentally use my sister's shipping address as my billing address so clearly there was no actual "security" check being done here! This company needs to add their ridiculous processing time to the estimated arrival date rather than tricking their customers into thinking that packages will arrive sooner than they actually will. I would give 0 stars if I could because this completely ruined the surprise gifts I wanted my sister to receive. Should have just stuck with Amazon...

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

Anthropologie sent me thousands of dollars worth of cloth napkins that I never ordered. They then left it up to me to try and figure out a way to ship them back. They said this error must have occurred due to a computer glitch in their system. Then, several weeks later, I logged into my account to see 4 additional orders, this time totaling over $200,000.00 worth of the same napkins, again orders that I did not place, that are currently again going to be shipped to my house.

I spent several more hours today on the phone with their customer service department trying to figure out why these orders have are being placed and how to remove them and prevent these future 'ghost orders' from randomly appearing on my account and being shipped to my house. Again, no one in the customer service department can resolve the issue. They said it is an IT problem and they can email IT but have to wait for a response. I asked to be transferred to someone who can resolve this now before more napkins are shipped out and show up at my door, they said no one can do this. This is a nightmare and a never ending circle of no one being able to help resolve an issue created by their own 'computer' error in the first place. NEVER order or buy anything from this company.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

Updated on 11/28/2018: This company has finally lost my business. This is the last straw. I placed an order during their 30% off sale - two items in the order were backordered, but I was expecting the other two to ship right away as they were listed in stock. Several days passed with no delivery confirmation sent out. I finally contacted them and the person who answered the phone sounded like it was her first day on the job. First I was told “5-7 business days” - really??? Until it's even shipped? I asked to speak to a supervisor, and she comes back after a looonnnggg pause to tell me she was completely wrong and it will be “72 hours.” Uh, until what? Until it ships out?

The next day I call again and, big surprise, yet another clueless person answers the phone. This time I noticed the shipping address was wrong (I know for a fact it was their mistake this time). First, I ask about shipping. She knows nothing and puts me on hold repeatedly to ask a supervisor. Then, I'm told my backordered items are delayed for another WEEK. Then, I'm told they cannot change my shipping address to correct THEIR MISTAKE but must cancel the entire order! Which is what I did. NEVER NEVER NEVER AGAIN!!!

Original Review: I have shopped with a lot of online retailers and Anthropologie takes the cake for being the absolute worst to do business with. Considering the EXORBITANT cost of their merchandise, this is unacceptable. It all started when I placed an order for $200 worth of merchandise during their most recent sale. I received an email that stated, in writing, I would receive my order by a specific day. When the company failed to send me a tracking number after three days of sitting on my order (everything was in stock, mind you), I called customer service. That's when the real fun began. To start with, EVERY rep I spoke with must have had the volume button on their phones turned to zero; either that or they were purposely speaking low to piss people off (which, at this point, I wouldn't put past them).

Originally, I was told the order would ship out the day I called—that never happened. The next day, I called again. This time, the rep basically told me they had no idea when it would ship out, and reminded me that "standard shipping takes 5-7 business days." I reminded her I had an email that stated I would receive my order by a certain day. She kept repeating the mantra about standard shipping, which was completely useless information. I demanded to speak to a manager.

After waiting on hold for 15 minutes, a woman picked up the phone, claiming to be a "manager." Based on the tone of her voice, this woman missed her calling working at the DMV or at a prison. She was disrespectful, condescending, and nasty: she never apologized for the issues I was experiencing, she refused to cancel my order, and basically told me there was nothing that could be done. When it came time to return one of the items in my shipment, I visited a store. Unfortunately I had a question they couldn't answer, and they called customer service for me.

The salesperson tried to translate what they were saying but I asked to speak with them—the rep made a snide remark to the salesperson before I got on the phone. Then she had an attitude along the lines of "I heard you the first time" to which I replied "Nice attitude." She proceeded to put me on hold for 20 minutes. Honestly, the people that work at the online division are complete trash. Shop in the store or not at all. Better yet, don't give Anthropologie your money!

Original review: July 3, 2018

I ordered a hand carved menagerie buffet as a treat to myself and it comes damaged. The magnetic strip is broken off and I found it lodged inside one of the other cabinets. I paid $2398.40 for this piece and waited months for it. Now I have to wait another 2-3 months for it to be replaced? 2 Thousand something dollars is not a small amount of money. This wasn't the first time I've received damaged furniture either. I keep hoping that it was just a mistake and that they won't disappoint me again but I really have to say something now.

Original review: May 21, 2018

In March, I ordered a platter for my niece's shower. I had it sent. I received a confirmation that it was sent a few days later. When I saw her at her wedding this past weekend, I asked her if she received the platter. She said she received a notice from Anthropologie stating that it was backordered and she never received anything, nor did she know who sent it (it was me, of course). I called Anthropologie and they said, "Oh... The delivery service said they lost it." (What happened to the backorder?) Would I like them to resend it or would I like a credit? I said, "If I didn't call, you would keep the money." They said... it's my responsibility to keep track of these things. I asked them to resend it and was told I would get a receipt via email. I'm still waiting. Long story short... DO NOT ORDER FROM THESE PEOPLE. They are unbusinesslike at best, possibly even thieves. I should have read the reviews before I ordered from them.

Original review: May 16, 2018

The online ordering: These people will put a HOLD on your account for returning or not receiving an item after years and years and hundreds of thousands of dollars of shopping expenditures and good reviews. I’m flabbergasted. Most of the furniture and other items in the attached photo are from Anthropologie. How grateful is that?

Original review: May 8, 2018

I have been an Anthro member for almost 7 years and I just found out my account is on hold with no way of removing that hold. No one on Anthro Customer service side say they can help me and they won't forward my note to the appeals department either. In the past 7 years I have reported about 7 items undelivered all due to either house moves or building moves. How is that a customer's fault? I am not sure how best to fix this if any. There is no way apparently forever to order anymore. Everyone on their end is completely clueless and won't call to talk either. Wish they would just call and let me know what is it that I need to do to fix it?

Original review: May 7, 2018

Bought off their website because it said Anthropologie Canada, but when you buy it's from the USA in American dollars plus duty and taxes. Wanted to return all merchandise because they are in Toronto and other areas, but want to charge the Canadian consumers American dollars and ship from the USA to charge more. When you go to return the items, can't in a store or they won't give you back your duty and taxes! I lost $160.00 for nothing. Never shop here! They don't care about Canadian consumers! Not surprised Yorkdale closed! Do not support this store! We have enough retailers here! Support Canada!

Original review: April 26, 2018

I live in Canada and ordered 3 curtain panels from Anthropologie. I requested postal service for shipping. But they came by an expensive courier service with hefty "processing" fees. I had $80 in fees. It made matters worse that the identical product was delivered in two packages, meaning more fees. When I emailed to complain, the customer service agents sent me vague non-answers. I finally phoned and the agent said "We don't control the way it's delivered," even though I clearly chose postal service. She also refused to forward me to a manger to file a complaint. My only recourse was to email another customer service agent. This was my only bad online shopping experience, and I wish I'd read the reviews here before I ordered from Anthropologie. I thought they had a good reputation! Bottom line: this company really doesn't care about its customers.

Anthropologie Company Information