2.94/5

Urban Outfitters

125 Anthropologie Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 22, 2019

I ordered a dress from Anthropologie website. I live in Canada. I paid $20 dollars for the shipping costs and according to the website I should have received my item in 7 days. However, I received my item 1 month later!! And guess what? Not only that I paid $20 dollars but on the top of that I had to pay $35 to pick my item up from the post office!! This means that I paid almost $60 dollars for a shipment while the item arrived 1 month later. I called the company, they don't take any responsibility. I wished I were notified that there would be an extra shipping cost. Then I wouldn't order it. Clearly, the brand isn't transparent and they don't care about the customers. I would urge you to avoid this horrible brand. They just ruined my wedding shopping.

Original review: May 15, 2019

I would not recommend ordered any type of "furniture" rugs included from Anthropologie. I ordered a sale rug, 8x10 size that had to be delivered via one their third party "white glove" delivery companies (Metropolitan or Twin Cities delivery company since I am in Minnesota). The standard delivery fee is $150. So, ok since I was getting a deal on the rug, I could be patient and wait 4 weeks. Well 4 weeks came and no rug. I called Metropolitan and they said the rug was still in California (possibly written off as a lost product, is what service rep made it sound like) and said she would call back with more info... She never did.

So I called Anthropologie directly that next week, they advised me that the delivery company had switched to Twin Cities (thanks for notifying the customer!) Then I proceeded to ask if this delivery mishap was a common occurrence and what could be done if anything about the inconvenience of this whole matter. All I was offered was $25 off my order of over $400. Ok, I said, and proceeded to call Twin Cities delivery company to find out where my rug was. The woman who answered put me on hold to 'finish up a precious order" while she forgot to press hold and carried on a conversation with her boyfriend about lunch. After she came back to the line, she couldn't find my order and said that it must have just arrived that day and that she would get back to me with details about delivery. Delivery is scheduled for this Sat. We shall see if this rug was worth waiting for...

Get expert buying tips about Online Shopping Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 12, 2019

I purchased several items in June 2016. I kept one item and returned (or did not receive) the rest. Only one item was marked as returned. I marked the dispute with Amex and understood it to have been sorted. TWO YEARS later, I tried to order a top online. I was told that my account is blocked until I pay them back the disputed amount, despite the fact I don't have the goods. I have been trying for the past year to resolve this. I have sent over thirty emails, been to the ombudsman and trading standards. They have refused to even answer correspondence from both and just send me the standard email. My local store has tried to help but their hands are tied as the company has no UK central telephone line or address. I have tried to ring the US customer service line but as soon as I start to talk to them about this very long running dispute, they cut me off.

I have now managed to get the information I needed to be able to get paperwork proving my case. I will then send this to them- probably will be ignored again.

At least then I will have enough to approach a solicitor. I have spent tens of thousands with this company in the past. Their practices are dubious at best. I have invested years now in this and will push it to it's conclusion even if it means a court. DO NOT BUY from Anthropologie.

Original review: May 11, 2019

First, the items I ordered expedited and paid expedited shipping on were "delayed" from shipping and then when the package arrived it was two of the same item rather than the two items I ordered. No apologies when I called and no expedited shipping for the correct item to be shipped out. When I returned the erroneous extra dress and the dress that arrived too late I shipped them in the same package with the label they provided and they only credited one of them (the least expensive item of course). I called SIX times trying to straighten this out. Spoke with a supervisor three of the times. They kept telling me to wait 72 hours, then it could take up to 3 weeks, then finally they couldn't confirm the second item had been returned (even though the item that it was in the same package with was!?!) and my only option for credit back of this $440 dress was to file a complaint with my bank. They were rude, frustrating, and downright thieves.

Original review: May 10, 2019

I've ordered from Anthropologie online many times. I have always gotten my items within a week of ordering. The items I received were what I ordered and looked like the pictures on the website. I got some faithful the brand pants, candles and hair accessories. I have no complaints with them. When I go into the stores the SA's are always nice and helpful. One time I found a headband on display that was marked down on the site. I asked them if the headband was on sale in store and they checked and it was on sale and then they fixed the pricing on the other headbands. I feel bad for people who have had bad experiences but I've only had good ones so far.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Anthropologie?

Original review: April 29, 2019

First of all I need to say that there are no product reviews on the Anthropologie website because they won't post your review (can say out of my experience now). I am quite happy with the chair I got and with the service, BUT the colour of the wooden legs of the chair is very dark brown close to brown-black - nothing similar to the cherry wood colour you see on Anthropologie's website. Because they won't post my review, I would like everyone to know! :-D

Original review: April 25, 2019

I ordered a pair of pants, had not seen any shipping progress so called customer service number. CS said the pants are out of stock, will re-stock in a few month. Don't know when. I order the same pants in different size (no warning of the state of inventory), later found that these pants are out of stock as well (why not take the page out or put a warning stating it won't ship right away). I gave up on the pants. By the way am I the only one who thinks all CS from Anthro sounds so annoyed and really don't want to help you? Like I am interrupting their sleep...

Like an idiot, I went back to online shopping with this company. Two items on 2-day shipping are missing, CS don't know anything, shipping company says they don't have them. In a meantime, I have to wait a few weeks more to prove that the items are indeed lost and can receive refund. Package tracking state "ready to ship" for about a week now.

Original review: April 17, 2019

I purchased 3 white jumpsuits on 3/18 in search of one for my wedding. While I was nervous as this it was significant amount of $$ to be out, I reassured myself that they are a good, reputable company and nothing would go wrong. In the 7-8 days it took to arrive, I found another jumpsuit at a local boutique. I submitted a request to return all 3, printed the return shipping label provided by Anthropologie and stuck in on the UNOPENED Box when it arrived.

On 4/5, I received a refund for only one item. I was told by customer service that 2 of the 3 items had to be shipped to their affiliate clothing store and I would see a refund in 2-3 days. This did not happen, so I called back 7 days later and was told the box was still sitting in the warehouse to be "verified." Customer service recommended that I call billing because they have the "power to make things happen" and that is where it got worse (at least as far as attitude). I was accused of not sending all 3, told to take it up with USPS and that customer service made up the story about the 2 items needing to be shipped elsewhere.

I asked to speak to a manager and was rudely told I could be transferred to a customer service manager, but they can't see what billing does and I would just be transferred back to billing anyway. I called customer service back and their original story was confirmed and I received an email saying that I will be reimbursed for all 3 items in 2 business days. I am not sure what is going on, but this was not a complicated return. If they can't figure out how to process something that hasn't been opened and was literally shipped right back, there is no hope for complex orders/returns. They have now had my money for items I did not keep for a month.

Original review: April 15, 2019

I placed an order from their website and it said shipping will takes about 4-10 business day to arrive. 10 days have been past and the tracking show no update at all. The shipping carrier said the package still have not be received at all, so I contacted customer service and try to figure what is going on. The CS cannot give any answer and ask me to contact them again after one or two weeks. It seems like they sell out of stock items so they cannot fulfill their orders. This company sucks!

Original review: April 4, 2019

Do not buy any furniture from them. Worst delivery company. You will wait months, and in my case over half a year to have any items attempted to be shipped to you. Keep on top of all your orders, because if something doesn't arrive, they will not refund you your money back.

Original review: March 27, 2019

I ordered an item on 17th March, which I needed for an interview on 26th March. The delivery was specified in writing within 3-5 working days, which would have been well before the interview. The item did not arrive. I had to make several phone calls. Everybody I talked to was either rude or incompetent or both. They basically refuse to give me a refund until 31st March. Here is the latest response: "Hello, Thank you for your email. I am very sorry you have not received your order. Unfortunately, we are not able to file a non receipt claim at this time. If you have not received your order by 3/31, ..." This is both disgraceful and in breach of their written contact to me as a customer. Every time I have ordered from Anthropologie things have gone terribly wrong, but this should be downright illegal.

Original review: March 12, 2019

What a disappointment! After years of purchases, they have put a "hold" on my account for returning ONCE a pair of cups: one has been broken during shipping and the other had paint stains. Nothing to do with customer responsibility. And there is no way to place an online order anymore. Isn't that against the law???

Original review: March 9, 2019

I called in to receive a 20% off discount as promised in my previous order and they gave me the runaround. Both customer service reps that I spoke with were rude. I finally received a "supervisor" who was also unhelpful. I'm sick of the snobbish attitude with this company.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

I purchased a FULL price item over 6 weeks ago that dropped 30% the day after I placed my online order, I requested the price adjustment be honoured and to my surprise this was declined by a very rude CSR. Keep in mind denying my request completely goes against their policy too. This made me so upset that I decided that I no longer wanted the item, so upon arrival I refused the delivery. It's been a month & they STILL have yet to process my refund. So they not only have my money but the order as well.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I have been a longtime Anthro customer and agree that customer service and product quality has declined in the past two years. I purchased a bikini bottom online over a year ago, that was shipped to me clearly worn, bloodied and no safety strip. How this could even be possible that NOONE caught this is beyond me. This week, I received boots from an order with leaves in the box, heavy worn and scraped bottoms and nicks on the leather heels. How does the returns dept set these NOT safe items for resale? How does the shipping departments not even give a glance? They are charging some of the highest rates around to ship items, yet are not practicing simple quality control. I am astounded and disappointed.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

My husband and I placed an order on December 16th for a beautiful mirror to celebrate our anniversary. It said that the mirror would ship on Dec 17th. Weeks went by and not even an update for shipping (which cost 150$) in addition to the price of the mirror. After two live chats, 2 phone calls, and finally an email we FINALLY received an email saying we could have expect shipping on the mirror the middle of MAY!! Who charges 150$ in shipping when your product won’t ship for months!!! Disgusting.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I made a online purchase from Anthropologie.com for a $105.00 pair of jeans in December 2018. They were stolen from my porch. After talking to all of my neighbors, I called and reported it the next day. I explained to the customer service rep and she said that they waive signatures for delivery and that she would credit my account. Nothing was credited. I called the following week and was told that I should have waited a few days to report it to make sure that it was stolen. The rep told me again that it would be credited. I called the following week because there was no credit.

I was told that they were sending me a gift card. I asked why and she didn't know. Then I was told that they would cancel the gift card and send it to their financial services for review and then credit my account. Nothing happened. I called the following week and spoke to the rep and she said that I would not be getting my credit because whoever stole my package returned it for a gift card and used it. I spoke to her supervisor who then reiterated this and told me to file a police report. I'm furious! I have literally spent several thousand dollars with them in the past 4 months. I had several other packages stolen that day and Ulta immediately replaced the items. Shame on Anthropologie. I will never purchase another thing from them again and will tell others this story. I have contacted my bank and they are crediting my account and investigating. How a company can waive a signature for delivery and not stand by their mistake is appalling.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I placed an order with @Anthropologie selecting overnight shipping. @Anthropologie shipped the order the same day with expected delivery the next day. UPS however, did not deliver it until 3 days after the date it was originally scheduled to arrive. The issue I have is @Anthropologie refuses to submit a claim to UPS to get their freight refunded and they refuse to give me a credit for the freight I paid them. The site requires me to make a star selection but they do not deserve a single star.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

First of all, what happened to this company? Sounds like it was handed over to all of the Philadelphia hood rats to manage. Every person you speak to over the phone is some ratchet chic making snide comments, barely speaking literate English and plain rude. This is not the same Anthropologie that offered unparalleled service 10-15 years ago. I had of their ** agents help me place an order during Xmas time when their website was down, she ordered the incorrect shoes for me. I tried to take them back in my local store, was told no shoe returns. WTF?! Why.

Called CS, was told by another ** agent who was speaking **, that stores don't accept returns. Is that listed as a disclaimer on their checkout page? NO. It is only when you dig deep into their FAQ section about returns, do you see the fine print about no shoes being returned in store. That is a HUGE inconvenience for customers. The stores can sell shoes, but can't accept returns of them. OKAYYY. That makes a lot of damn sense. Secondly, they expect you to pay for $6 return fee for them sending you the wrong shoes. Lastly, they don't offer exchanges. What a horrendous company Anthro has become. Stop hiring ** girls to answer your phones who have an IQ of a pet mouse.a

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I ordered a $400 lamp and Anthro sent me a basket with an invoice for the lamp. Ok, fine. I returned the basket to the NYC Chelsea location and asked for a refund, as I never got what I ordered. It took the employee there about half an hour to figure out how to process the return because, apparently, Anthropologie's systems aren't set to handle incorrectly shipped items. The employee was patient and she did her best, and I eventually got refunded.

Until a month later when Anthropologie emailed, saying they've reprocessed the $400 charge because I never returned the lamp... That they didn't even send in the first place. I sent two emails to try to resolve the situation, was ignored twice. So I opened up a dispute with my credit card company. Now, as expected, my Anthro account is on hold. The upcoming furniture orders I had in the account, which totaled $3k and had yet to ship, will likely be canceled. But it's probably for the best. The level of failure here is astounding. There was a supply chain failure, then a CRM failure, and finally a customer service failure. If Anthropologie wants to be successful in this era of e-commerce, they've got a lot of catching up to do.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

So today, I attempted to question a receipt total resulting from a return for my elderly mother. The clerk could not tell me why I returned a $138 item, bought $198 in new merchandise and got charged on my card $117. She handed me the receipt and told ME to take it to a manager! I told her that I do not have a name tag nor a W-2 from Anthropologie therefore I don’t know WTH the managers even are! The manager then proceeded to use the calculator on my iPhone and could not explain it. Turns out, the whole incident was because the original clerk put two of my returns on an in-store credit card that I never even saw. “Credit” on the receipt meant in-store, not my personal card - but nobody could explain that to me because they didn’t even know it. I’d say they need to focus more on getting employees with a higher IQ than just those who wear their brand well.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I ordered a candle that my daughter wanted for Christmas on Nov 26. It was in stock and to be shipped out in 2 days. Two days later they changed the ship out date to Dec. 4th, so I contacted a representative who promised me that the candle would arrive by Christmas with absolutely "no problem." But, they moved the ship out date again... This time to the 14th. Then it changed to the 18th, so I contacted them and was once again promised Christmas delivery. Sigh. But, a couple of days later, the ship out date was pushed back to the 21st... Then (a day later) to the 25th... And now it's the 29th. I'm no longer able to reach a representative. So, I would be extremely cautious if planning on ordering anything online---even a month in advance.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I always have a terrific in-store shopping experience at the OKC location. However, I can't get anyone to tell me why there has been a hold on my online shopping account. My order gets canceled 5 minutes after I place an order. It's not a credit card issue. These purchase attempts are showing up on my statement. I've never returned anything online and have been waiting for days for a response from the financial department. Has this happened to anyone else? Trying to get my last minute Christmas orders in!!!

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

Anthropologie was my favorite brand and retailer for well over a decade — I love the beautiful clothing and in-store environment. But now that has all changed. Way back in November I placed an order online for a pair of pants that were meant to be a Christmas gift. I don't know how it happened, but a week or so later, after never having received the package, I checked my email for a shipping confirmation — the confirmation was there, but the ship-to address listed was a home address I've long moved from, in another state.

Frantically, I called customer service to make an attempt to fix this error. The rep I spoke to was pleasant, said that the packaged had been returned as "undeliverable," and would be reshipped to my current, correct address. Problem solved, or so I thought. A week later, I received an email from customer service now stating that the package had been delivered (to the wrong address), and since it had been delivered, it was my responsibility to get the package from the delivered-to location. Keep in mind that I have no idea who lives at the location it was shipped to, and I now live in another state, so that is an impossibility.

I called customer service again to attempt to find some clarity (was it returned as undeliverable, or was it delivered, which is it) and recourse, and was told repeatedly, "I know it's frustrating but that is our policy," and there was nothing they could do. So two weeks before Christmas I'm left with two options: Pay for the item again, resulting in it costing me double the price, and hope it arrives at the correct location in time, or count it as a total loss on my end. Hands down, easily, the worst customer service I've experienced in my life.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I live in France and attempted to order an item from the Anthropologie European website. My payment would not go through. I contacted my bank, and they told me there was a problem with the Anthro site security, Visa would not approve payments. I called the Anthro customer service number. The woman was utterly clueless about technical issues with the site. I asked if they had a tech support person I could talk to. She said no. I asked if I could make payment by phone or fax, she said no. What is wrong with this company?

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I live in NJ and purchased a jacket from Anthropologie online recently. After the order went through, I noticed that the sales tax was not removed from the total price (clothing are sales tax exempted in NJ). I immediately followed up with customer service via email. After a number of emails and delayed responses from Anthropologie - first telling me they would be happy to process my sales tax refund, then to say my order was not eligible and then to say they need to look into it some more - they came back with a final answer to simply say the request was denied.

At no point did anyone from customer service provided me with an explanation on why the sales tax was charged on a sales tax exempted item in the first place or why they cannot provide me with a refund of the sales tax that was charged in error. I encountered a similar sales tax issue with only one other online retailer in the past couple of years and that retailer promptly acknowledged their error and provided me with a refund. Needless to say, this will be my one and only online shopping experience with Anthropologie.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

I used the mobile website to order a necklace. I ordered from Canada where there are plenty of stores in my province. I paid a hefty charge for shipping, which I was okay with because I liked the convenience of delivery. My credit card statement showed I was charged in USD so not only was the fee greater by over $20, but I was also charged a conversion fee on top of that from my CC company. I then received an email that my package incurred taxes and duty charges in which doubled the price of my original purchase. I voiced my dissatisfaction via email with "Alexis" and felt the response was condescending and not helpful at all.

I then called the customer service line and spoke to a nice woman who also tried to speak with two different managers to help me. The company took no responsibility for lack of currency information on the mobile website and provided no suggestions on how to rectify the issue. They simply said, "there are no distribution centers in Canada". Apparently we are just supposed to know that fact as Canadian consumers. At the end I was offered 20% off, which is humorous because I am charged 45% more if I use their website again. I will not shop here or any connecting companies again.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

Please do yourself a favor and DO NOT SHOP ON ANTHROPOLOGIE ONLINE!! THEY ARE AWFUL. BE WARNED! They will lie and lie to you and get you stuck with their crappy products! The worst company I have ever dealt with. WOW I wish I would read these other reviews before I ordered. NEVER AGAIN!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

DO NOT SHOP HERE IF YOU DON'T LIVE IN USA. I ordered some items online - to be delivered to Australia. When I opened the delivery they had clearly sent me the wrong items. I contacted them to request a refund or exchange. They said that for me to get a refund or exchange, I would have to pay the cost of returning the items. I understand that the consumer should pay this cost if it is because they change their mind. But if the company is at fault, they should be the ones to pay to rectify it. It would cost me nearly as much to return the items as I would get refunded. Disgraceful.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

We ordered a sofa in August. It was supposed to ship by October 31st. We received an email saying it would ship by November 7th. We called that week and were told it would ship within the next week. We called the week after that and were told the vendor had not responded to a request for updated information. The customer service representative promised to email the vendor and then email us within 48 hours. This promise was not kept. We have received no email and no sofa. Very disappointing. We are going to cancel the order.

Anthropologie Company Information