Urban Outfitters

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.37/5

Anthropologie Reviews

Original review: March 20, 2020

I have ordered quite a few pieces of furniture from Anthropologie. It is hit and miss as to whether you will receive a well made piece or a piece of rubbish. Most of their furniture comes from India. My last bad experience is recent when I ordered a bed that cost around $1,600.00. It was a beautiful carved bed. But three weeks later after delivery the bed began to suffer large cracks as it expanded with the change in temperatures. I had to return the bed. Anthro refunded the cost of the bed but refused to refund the shipping of $166.00 claiming that the white glove service was contracted out and my responsibility even tho they had sold me a defective piece of furniture!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

I'm floored to find other reviews on this site that mirror my own experiences with Anthropologie's customer service. Like others here, I too was a customer for decades at Anthropologie. I too had roughly $500 worth of goods sent to my home (October 2019) in Brooklyn that was apparently stolen. When I called to to try to sort things out it became a very painful, long and drawn out process of Anthropologie not getting back to me after they said they would or simply misinforming me.

In the end, I called the credit card company and disputed the charge. Then I got blacklisted from shopping online. The worst part was I didn't even realize this because to make up for all the hassle with the order Anthropologie had caused me (I called several times to sort things out), they gave me a 30% discount on my next order. When I tried to use the 30% discount THAT'S when I found out they barred me from shopping online. Talk about adding insult to injury. Also I've been told by Anthropologie (two customer service representatives actually said this) the only way to resolve this issue is if I remove the dispute via my credit card company and pay for the goods, even though I did not receive them. How this makes sense, I have no idea.

I honestly thought my experience was a fluke but apparently Anthropologie is no longer a reputable company that cares anything about customer service. Their entire business model was supposed to be about the convenience and curation of beautiful products from lesser known vendors. My advice, If you see something you like from them find the actual *manufacturer* and skip Anthro as the middle man charging an exorbitant markup with little care if you receive the item. I cannot believe they have chosen to enact these policies and leave the customer accountable for lost and stolen goods. If they are now making themselves inconvenient and are shifting their policies to be less customer friendly, why should any of us actually shop there? I know I no longer will.

Get expert buying tips about Online Shopping Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2020

Apparently like many others, I have been blacklisted from Anthropologie after shopping with them for 15 years. Much of what I order is “online exclusive” so I’m unable to try on and end up returning when it doesn’t fit...shocking I know! Tried ordering from them when my order was promptly cancelled. No explanation. I emailed asking why and got no response. It wasn’t until I did some research that I found out they do this without even a warning. I’ve already turned many of my friends off by them and will continue to do so.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

I have been a loyal Anthropologie customer for 15+ years, but they lost my business today. I recently made a large purchase from Anthro and their delivery service (OnTrac) left the package on my doorstep (despite the note on my door saying NOT to leave packages unattended). I live in SF proper and unfortunately the package was stolen. Anthro told me their policy is that they are not responsible for packages once they are delivered, so I am basically am out $540. I have called customer service twice and asked to talk to a manager both times, but they are unwilling to help me. Their only solution for me was telling me I could file a police report and hope that the police could track down the package.

I have never seen such poor customer service. Shame on Anthropologie for acting high end- and overcharging for poorly made clothes while offering atrocious customer service on the backend. I learned my lesson and I hope this review helps you. Do NOT shop Anthropologie! They don't care about their customers- only their bottom line. There are lots of other clothing companies out there who sell superior items and actually take care of their customers.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2020

First, be very aware that all the prices are in US dollars and even if you enter your shipping address in Canada and pay with a Canadian credit card, at no point do they give you the actual price that you are gonna pay in CAD. I myself discovered a bill of 100$ more than expected by looking on my bank account. I know a lot of brands do this but it doesn’t make it okay or acceptable, it is a way to trick us, no less. Second, the tracking of the package is not handled very well. You receive an order number and then you have to check yourself where is your package at. Mine took more than a month to get from US to Canada. I didn’t feel very much taken care of during that process.

Finally, what was my surprise when I actually received a note from the Canada Post telling that my package had arrived but I had to pay a 100$ more to get it. Thank you custom fees. However, when I called customer service, they didn’t care about that problem telling that is was common and that they talked about it while you were placing your order. Again didn’t see that, mustn’t have been too obvious. And again, customer service were dry and uninterested. So I ended up having to pay about 200$ more than expected when I first placed my order, then wait a month to get my package to finally having to send it back without even seing what was inside (so not to pay the taxes). An horrible experience. I really don’t recommend them, especially their customer service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Anthropologie?

Original review: Feb. 17, 2020

Anthropologie has the worst policies and customer service I have ever had the misfortune of dealing with. They are useless, dismissive, rude, and unapologetic in their lack of effort to resolve any order problems or product complaints. Twice I have had problems with their shipping method of an expensive bridesmaid dress I’d ordered, where they were shipping to the wrong address but refused to correct the shipping address and instead canceled my order without my authorization. They also refuse to honor any sales, if you purchase a clothing item that says later go on a better sale, they refuse to honor that price. Worst, the customer service just makes lame excuses for their ineptitude and terrible policies, while putting no effort in to actually resolve anything. I cannot believe they are paid to sit there solely to tell customer they cannot do anything for them.

Finally, their clothing products are outrageously expensive AND low in quality. So often the clothing I’ve ordered has been ill-fitting, wrongly sized, or had seams coming undone and beadwork falling off. It’s ridiculous. But no free returns for their BHLDN products. It’s sickening, the poor-quality products they sell at such crazy high prices, all with terrible customer service support to boot. I will certainly be shopping MUCH less frequently from them, if at all.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

I purchased a set of Delaney jade velvet chairs last August. They had an estimated shipping date in October. After multiple calls with both Anthropologie and their delivery warehouse service, metropolitan, one chair was delivered late November. I still have yet to receive the other chair. When I call to inquire I’m usually put on hold multiple times and then simply told they have no idea when it will ship. I ask if that means it’s never going to come to fruition and they say they can’t be sure. They are rude and hostile in conversation; unapologetic at best. I would have never purchased the chairs if I had known I would only receive one chair.

Yesterday I decided to call and ask if I can simply return the one chair I have. After being placed on hold yet again they said, sure but I have to coordinate with metropolitan warehouse delivery....again. I am not sure how they are training their customer service reps but they should consider taking a more personable and empathetic tone with the goal of being understanding and helpful rather than hostile. Honestly, I can say the whole experience has turned me away from ever purchasing furniture on their website again. They should observe crate and barrel and west elm for their commendable customer service. I’ve received broken and missing items from both places and always had my issue resolved in minutes. Take a page out of their book, Anthropologie.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2020

Let me start by saying I have been a Anthropologie for well over 10 years but have always shopped in-store & never furniture items until recently. The customer service has always been subpar as they hire employees in all departments who carry the attitude of work being more of a personal burden rather than being a part of a business structure. The items they sell are unique & overpriced and to add in a privileged air does not enhance the company. Rather it takes from it.

My most recent purchases have been online & included clothing items & furniture items. All the clothing items sent out randomly & delivery dates were all over the place for each individual item. I also ordered 2 9x12 rugs, a dresser, a floor lamp & a coffee table. None of the items I purchased were low stock items or sold out items. The trouble began to appear when I tried to reach out to see if it were possible to get an estimate on the date of delivery weeks after my order had been placed. It was obvious the order was not easily found & the items were split up with some being ready & others not. They would not deliver what was considered ready.

Out of the blue, weeks after my purchase I get a notice saying that they canceled the lamp in my order which was obviously a result of them overselling that item while the rest of my items were being gathered for a delivery. This was ridiculous & completely unfair to let a item that wasn’t even low in stock get to the point of selling out weeks after someone had it purchased & reserved for their order. Obviously they failed to do that & did not offer a similar item in its place or any other solution. As for the other items, it’s taken nearly 20 calls to both Anthropologie & their shipping partners, Metropolitan, and I have still not received my furniture order.

For reference, they promise delivery 2-4 weeks after your order is placed. I’m now in the 7th week & I am told that I should get them some time next week. So 8 weeks after ordering, items cancelled, rude customer service, endless failures to call me back or to keep me informed & no care on their end for their failures to honor their commitment to the customer. It’s astonishing how unprofessional this company is. Truly a horrible group of people to do business with. Despite having a full house to furnish I will not purchase anything from them ever again nor would I ever recommend them to anyone.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

I ordered the Quentin chair in Paul Marot fabric that I loved. I received (3 months later) a completely different fabric that I don't like at all. I called Anthropologie and was told that the chair I wanted is now out of stock. I can't wait to see how I'm supposed to return the unwanted chair (they're supposed to contact me within 24-48 hours with instructions) as I live in Mexico and had the chair delivered to my mail service in Laredo Texas, which then drove the chair to Mexico. This service does not do shipping in the other direction. So probably Anthro is going to tell me I'll have to pay an exorbitant fee and have DHL ship the chair back to the USA. Ugh. Just sloppy.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

I bought some dresses and returned all of it in the same box. I received an refund but only for some of the dresses. I have called 4x to get an explanation and get my money back. I keep getting told a email will be sent to look into it. At this point they still have the dresses and my money, and no one can help!

Anthropologie Company Information