2. Miscellaneous

3.7/5 (572 ratings)

About Ancestry

Pros

• No membership required for DNA tests
  • Billions of historical records
  • Free accounts available

Cons

• Pricey memberships

Bottom Line

Ancestry.com provides advanced genealogy tools and DNA testing. While memberships can be pricey, the website offers a large database that can’t be matched.

Ancestry Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ancestry?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ancestry?

Original review: Aug. 9, 2021

I received the AncestryDNA kit as a gift. Basically it told me stuff I already knew. I can find out more if I spend about $30 a month! For $50 upfront I found out nothing. Could have just called my mom! Lol!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2021

Had to resubmit over six (6) different times due to Ancestry excuses of misplacing, etc. We submitted for two (2) different persons. Cancelled our order and got our refund. Thank you for wasting our time!

Original review: July 26, 2021

AncestryDNA is a scam. The purposely omit Native American dna because they know there's money involved so they give people the wrong DNA RESULTS PURPOSELY. My grandmother is full blood Native American and not a drop of that came back. It had 13 different regions but I believe some of those are false as well. Save your money. These scientist are liars and it’s not worth the money. You're paying to be lied to. I wouldn’t rate if I didn’t have to put at least one star.

Original review: July 15, 2021

We did DNA for my hubby and found his birth parents. We built records for 5 years. We used the "pay per month no commitment". The last time I signed up for it I canceled after a few months when my interest waned. I followed through the tedious multiple window confusing cancellation process and got confirmation. We got busy with life and buying a new house. I discovered once things settled that payment had still been coming out for months! I re-cancelled and went back in to make sure this time and NO it had not cancelled. I called and the person I spoke to refused to cancel. I had to call my bank to cancel my Visa. Then my account got dumped. My DNA is gone, all my research gone, but funny thing I can still see my information and photos on other peoples trees.

Ancestry claims I never existed although I can send snapshots of some of my account! How aggravating to be used up and tossed away and everything lost and stolen. Just beware the cancellation process is designed for you to fail and give up. Please read up on other complaints and be vigilant about giving them your card information as they took way more than what I agreed to.

Original review: July 8, 2021

I ordered and submitted a DNA testing kit from Ancestry. It was pretty pricey at 129.00 plus tax. When the results came I was excited, that is until I logged into the website. You need to PAY AGAIN to view the results. Plus it is NOT cheap, pretty pricey at nearly 20 bucks a month, and if you cancel you can't view the results any longer. WHAT? Use 23 and Me instead. Free to use after you pay for the DNA testing kit. So pretty much a scam.

Original review: June 30, 2021

I just spent AN HOUR AND A HALF on the phone with ANCESTRY.COM because they canceled my account and deleted my trees only a month in a half into my six month membership. I called to reactivated and restart the 6mn period today since I lost 2 months of work. Then the agent and a supervisor both told me I didn't have an account under my email address (even though I was looking right at it) and that I was using an account that was over a year old even though I didn't know the user name and password. How do you sign into an account you don't know the username and password and don't have the email or phone number linked to it to get the username and password?

Original review: June 12, 2021

I have been a client of Ancestry.com for over 6 years and have put extensive research into my family tree. I traced seven great grandparents' lines as far back as the 12th and 13th centuries, made numerous discoveries for research articles that I am working on and my family tree including being a Mayflower descendant. Many of the ancestors are historic and had attached numerous documents and citations to their profiles which have been eliminated without my knowledge. I have all of the documentation for this.

I began receiving emails a few months ago saying that this person had been added to my tree, or hints of people to add. Firstly, I did not add them and no one else has access to my account. Secondly, the people they were suggesting were great grandparents that were added years ago when I first began. At this point I logged into my account many errors, broken family lines and the only help was from their FAQ saying the basic “when you delete a person the tree is broken, go back and add manually”. I have never deleted anyone to cause this to happen. I am up for renewal in a few weeks and noticed that portions of the tree were missing which means I cannot download it to take to another company. I went onto their chat helpline and I was given misinformation.

I am sure I am not the only one this is happening to. To further illustrate, the suggestions where to input the information again manually which means renewing and basically starting over for the next year or longer. I spoke to a CS agent and she said that she would tape our conversation and tag my account for a review and that never happened. The responses are not specific, they sent out emails that are genealogy 101 and very generic.

Ancestry, like other genealogy companies, advertises that you can download a GEDCOM file of your tree. The agent assured me that the entire tree would download, but that is not the case. Only a small portion that is on the screen is visible. There are numerous other glitches in their software that ultimately ends up costing the consumer time that they will never recover and dollars.

Frequently features on the site say "not available at this time". The most bizarre change occurred recently when I noticed all of my relations were referred to as “step” ie. uncle, mother etc. The system, software or someone had added my father as a spouse to my grandmother. My grandfather is Walter R. ** and my father Walter F. **. As I mentioned before they were added years ago correctly and I have never changed anything. I will not renew with them and I am printing out and trying to recover as much as I can. I took screenshots and made printouts today and compared them with one of my completed lines that I made a record of in 2020.

There's lots of that false advertising when it comes to Ancestry.com. I had the DNA done and the information keeps changing in regard to heredity. I am curious to see how many other consumer complaints are out there in regard to this company. With all of the uncertainty this year, I want to leave this for my grandchildren and it was complete but now it is a mess. I see a lot of work ahead to undo the damage. The years of time and expense is basically wasted. I would like to know how many other customers are having problems. I saw where there is a class action lawsuit in the works against them. I hope that the negative reviews and and other actions will prompt some refunds and also they will take care of their software issues.

Original review: June 2, 2021

I think Ancestry is very expensive when it comes to memberships. I am a senior citizen on a very fixed income so can only purchase a short-term membership once a year or so. My complaint is if your membership is not current/active and you go back to look at a record such as a census you've previously attached to your ancestor, you are not allowed to look at it/open it unless you buy another membership! I feel as though I paid for the census record during my initial membership so if I have to buy another membership just to look at it, isn't that paying for the same thing twice? I understand not being able to look at someone else's record but not your own???

Original review: May 16, 2021

Seriously just go through 23andMe. Ordered kits for Christmas and sent in our samples back in December and it’s now May and they keep saying it’s just been delayed due to Covid. Horrible customer service. Called the supervisor (Jennifer) to ask what is going on and informed them that we have friends that went through 23andMe at the same time us who got their results 3 months ago. We told her that at this point we’re encouraging others to use them instead of Ancestry because of our experience and her response was literally “that would ease everything for us”. They literally don’t care to have your business so don’t give it to them.

Original review: May 14, 2021

I like Ancestry very much for the basic tree creation. My disappointment came when I submitted my DNA. Getting the kit was a hassle. It did not arrive anywhere close to the estimated delivery date. I was concerned it had gone astray. I phone them and they offered to send me a kit "free of charge". WTF? You did charge me, I paid, and you did not send the kit within anything close to a reasonable amount of time. Please do not offend with your weak attempt to "handle me". I did not just fall off the turnip truck. The second kit arrived, wrapped in dark plastic, about 3 months after my initial order. The original kit arrived 6 days later, unwrapped, with a label on it, and my address incorrectly printed. (No wonder I never got it - I live in a small town though and a person at the post office had affixed an intelligent note, with a possible address which was in fact me. The indiscreet lack of wrapping of the kit bothered me.

It is my belief that DNA matters are personal and private. I was not happy the kit was clearly a box, wrapped in clear plastic indicating "Ancestry DNA"!!! So, sample submitted, results provided in a timely fashion. I understand that some people are surprised but I have a tree with a few hundred people in it and none of them are from the main group of DNA given by Ancestry... WTF? When you look at the explanation for this particular group, the range given by Ancestry is 0-35% (yes, that is a ZERO!). This is my main ancestral DNA group and it is possibly as low as zero. WTF? My third main ancestral group is France. I am not able to see a single French relative because, it turns out after I complained, that Ancestry.com has nil to very little brand traction in Europe! Ha!

If further transpires as Ancestry explained that Europe has very strict privacy laws in general and that France in particular does not allow any sharing of DNA info for any reason, not even entertainment, which, let's face it, is all Ancestry is. It is an entertaining diversion. The most disappointing aspect of all is that after one spends thousands of hours and maybe that many dollars as well, when you die, you cannot bequeath your painstaking creation to a family member. Like, for example, the offspring one may have created the entire tree for hoping they may enjoy it, tinker with it, and further develop and enhance if for say, the generation after that. Nope. Your Ancestry tree goes to the grave with you. Ha! What a disappointment.

Ancestry Company Information