1.13/5

621 Ancestry Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 21, 2019

I click to see how I was related to my half sister, this was the result: How are you and [My Half Sister] related? Common Ancestors. According to Ancestry member trees, these are the common ancestors that connect you and [My Half Sister]. View a common ancestor to see the relationship path that connects you. [My Half Sister] could be your 2nd great-granddaughter through: {My Great Great Grandfather} 1840–1919. Today is 07/20/2019, I initially complained about this error on 05/01/2019, with several other contacts made between these two dates. Certainly calls into question Ancestry's credibility, does it not? Hopefully, this latest contact with Ancestry will see that this error in their software is corrected.

Original review: July 16, 2019

I watch the Ancestry commercials and it appears you can get all of this stuff and searches for unknown relatives for the initial cost. "I found that I am related to Geo Washington', says TV ad. They are very deceiving and causes me to not trust any of the Ancestry type sites. If I were to send more money I would be able to find out more about my family tree. I am living on a fixed income and cannot afford more money for nothing. All they did was repeat what information I entered when joining.

If this is all Ancestry does for the cost of admission then I guess I may never see my family history. All I want is to have some HONESTY IN ADVERTISING. Had I known the cost would be more than double I would either have saved to afford it or not purchased. For anyone planning on locating their family history, you can do this yourself for free. At least you can do what Ancestry does for a small fee. I feel this is a SCAM, although I wish it wasn't. I would really want to know my family history but I am afraid to join any other sites. Thanks for reading. Dan.

Get expert buying tips about DNA Testing and Ancestry Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 10, 2019

Ancestry.com does not screen the Message Board posts for harassment, abuse or attacks. Every time I go to one particular family name, every post I enter is attacked by one person who uses profanity, foul language, personal attacks, etc. I complain with no results. Some people I have heard from who also USED to post have complained for 16 years with no results. Why can't Ancestry.com screen posts to make sure there is nothing that violates their guidelines. I pay for a subscription and have paid for at least a dozen DNA tests for family members but I cannot be protected from attacks and harassment? They sometimes remove angry, hateful posts, but they leave them up for weeks at a time before they are removed. They need a better system for protecting paying members.

Original review: June 28, 2019

My 80 year old mother called to get testing kit because she saw ad (for fathers day) for $59. She signed up and I was alerted because of the charge to her card.

The charge was almost double what she thought and I called to see if we could get discounted price. The rep said sale coming up next week, for 4th of July. The rep also started discussing the subscription cost. My mother wasn't interested and I started thinking this wasn't what she wanted or could use. She has never used a computer. Then when I asked for refund I was told sure she could have it for $59. But there is a cancellation fee of $25. My mother signed up 6 hours earlier. I would understand if kit was sent out or even processed. The person she talked to originally either didn't explain everything or my mom clearly didn't understand the charges.

Original review: June 7, 2019

I did the Ancestry testing approximately three years ago for $100. The results were 72% Germanic Europe, 12% English and 14% Irish and negligible Greek. Ancestry just sent me an update which now says 2% Germanic, 88% England/Wales, 5% Norway, and 5% Ireland/Scotland. They tell me that they are able to be even more precise with greater numbers of DNA in their database. This is NOT a refinement. It is a completely different report! So my recommendation is that you save your money and don’t bother getting an ancestry analysis. They are completely bogus.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ancestry?

Original review: May 21, 2019

After Ancestry failed to obtain my results twice I asked for a refund. I waited weeks in between the tests to find out that they were sending yet another test. I asked for a refund instead of a 3rd test. They said a flat NO. Told me I had to take the 3rd test before they would consider a refund. Never got a 3rd test. They ignored my requests for results or a refund until time ran out to get either. I have no money and no DNA results but Ancestry got paid anyway. NOTHING BUT A SCAM.

Original review: May 13, 2019

Updated on 05/13/2019: We waited for an hour and half to speak to a supervisor. My husband was finally transferred to a MATT who put my husband on speaker phone while the employees were laughing. My husband has a cold. Matt was disrespectful and rude. My husband's results were incorrect and they refused to credit us, send a new kit or say they were sorry. We were told that DNA changes over time! HAHAH Seriously, I bet a few inmates in prison would love to hear that their DNA results may change over time. SERIOUSLY? Stay away from this scam agency!

Original Review: I called Ancestry.com and sat on the phone for 1 hour and was given the run around. I asked for a credit or to have a new kit sent out. I was continually told that a supervisor was finishing up with another customer. I asked for the employee's name and she would not give it to me saying against policy.

Original review: May 10, 2019

Bought an Ancestry dna kit for my mother. She tried it three times. Did not work the three times. So I have messaged them 4 times and called and left my number. I still have not gotten a callback or an email. What a waste of money ($100). She still wants a dna kit so I guess I will go with another company. I am so not impressed by them, they just lost a client and I will be deleting my account.

Original review: May 7, 2019

Poor data, indicates I am from Europe which I am, but indicates nothing on Indian heritage which I am. Garbage was of money and anxiety of waiting on report, this site and system is a waste time and money.

Original review: May 5, 2019

My brother sent me an invitation to share his DNA info. Ancestry admits their advertisements promise this, but THEY DON'T ALLOW SHARING DNA unless that guest ALSO has an Ancestry account and has ALSO PAID to have their own DNA on File with Ancestry. This is contrary to what their, "Sharing DNA Directions" state. Their representative admitted it isn't stated in their ad. He did not get what he paid for. Ancestry's Help Representative hung up on me. Deal with a more professional outfit!

Original review: May 2, 2019

The information gathered from Ancestry.com is invaluable but their policies on renewal need to be more transparent. BE WARNED - RENEWAL IS AUTOMATIC. While the small print in the T&Cs say it will be automatically renewed, I did not receive any notification that they were about to renew it nor did I receive any confirmation that they had renewed it. My only notification was the bill appearing on my bank statement. I was able to cancel but it cost me one month subscription.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I paid for 3 test. 1 me 2 wife 3 daughter, my test came in first. I had over 1000 cousins all but a handful have nothing in common. Never heard of any last name of family members. But by then my wife's DNA test came in and what a surprise we are 5 to 8 cousins not true. Then my daughter test comes in and we are not a match. My wife is my cousin, and my daughter and me not related. Cannot be true, I have my tree back to the 1800's. This part is true. DNA is a joke on us. Don't pay for it.

Original review: April 11, 2019

My husband has had a paid family tree on Ancestry.com for many years. In 2007 I added details to my entry and many additional family members with photos and details. At Christmas time, he did the DNA test. Then Ancestry offered him the opportunity to order more DNA kits. We ordered one for me. The surprise was that I have to pay another $45 per month to own my own account and have the same level of access that we already have through his account.

Ancestry.com has used the details and photos that I posted on his family tree and now many "relatives" now have essentially been sold the access to my data, but I cannot even get to it without subscribing! I called customer service and was told that it was in the fine print somewhere that I would not get a real DNA result, only matches and that I had to subscribe to copy any hints that I had already built on my portion of my husband's tree! I was essentially out of luck. HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT, Ancestry.com! I'm surprised there isn't a class action suit against you for this already.

Original review: April 6, 2019

I was very excited about Ancestry DNA a couple of years ago when I purchased the kit and got to know where my ancestors came from. At that time, I got 81% Finnish (no surprise at all), 7% Irish, 5% Scandinavian, 3% Western European, 2% Eastern European, 1% South Asian and less than 1% Central Asian. All so exciting, right? These fraction percentages made it quite interesting as most of us already have some idea where our families come from. It is the smaller percentages that make the test worthwhile. Now, with the very much praised ‘System Update’ all the results were diluted and rounded up making the test less accurate. This rounding up was supposed to be an improvement claiming that as more people (millions!) had the test done and their results were entered into the global database that would somehow make the test more ‘accurate’. The opposite is true.

The whole point behind a DNA analysis is to prove how UNIQUE a person is and all of this should be based on their individual test result and nothing else! When you start comparing somebody’s sample to thousands of other samples in the database, you’ll get a rounded up, watered down result, and this is completely contrary to the whole philosophy behind ‘everybody’s uniqueness’. With this new system, millions of people are herded into their mainstream national gene pools and everything else is discarded. Then, why not just look at a map and say you are 100% the nationality of the country you come from! It would be a lot cheaper than paying for the test, that’s for sure.

Now, with the system update in place, I find I am 98% Finnish, 1% Irish and 1% Scandinavian and everything else is forgotten. Thank you Ancestry for ruining your test and disappointing millions of people who participated! I want to give you an example of your screwup. In my own original test, I was very intrigued about my 7% Irish heritage because it is not a known fact in my family. My mother does not have it (proven by her test), so I knew this had to come from my father’s side. My father has passed away, so I had my aunt (his sister) do the Ancestry DNA instead and the disappointing result was that she is 100% Finnish!!! Had my aunt done the test prior to the system update, it is possible there could have been some more interesting results. As of now, I don’t recommend Ancestry DNA for anybody anymore. Just look at the map and the country of your origin, and that’s your DNA too...100%.

Original review: April 2, 2019

I have always had great experiences using the internet, signing up for things, etc. with no issues. BUT of late, there are a few companies willing to steal your money and trick you into subscriptions. The absolute worst of these is Ancestry.ca and Ancestry.com. What is wrong with the thinking in a company when they TRICK people into signing up for monthly subscriptions when by all appearances it is a one time fee?!! I am a retired person and I am right now dealing with trying to get my money back from two lecherous companies. Ancestry.ca and Adobe. NO MORE ONLINE PURCHASES!!! These experiences have resulted in my decision to STOP using internet companies and to REMOVE all of my credit cards from online usage. If I want to try something out, it will be with a $5 toss Visa. Period.

Original review: March 29, 2019

I am extremely disappointed with this company. I purchased the Ancestry.com kit for myself after seeing advertisements claiming that people's ancestry was traced from all over the world and even showing when they came to America, etc. Truth is, you will get a 'hook' only if you PAY FOR 'MORE DETAILS.' I keep getting emails that say they found a link to my DNA...but in order to see what they're telling you, you have to sign up and pay a monthly fee - Premium, Premium Plus, or Complete. I DO NOT want any continual monthly charges nor do I want to give them any of my financial information. I am really angry at this whole scam.

Original review: March 19, 2019

Wanted to let you know I have dropped my Ancestry subscription. After doing so I was shocked to find out that I did not own copies of the records I thought I had paid for. I believe that most subscribers are not aware that they do not retain ownership of the records they download. It seems you must maintain their expensive subscription in order to view your records. So If you plan to eventually hand off the research to a family member you are obligating them to renew the subscription if they want to see your work and/or continue it. I assume this policy is explained somewhere but I could not find it and they are not upfront about it. Therefore, I would recommend you think very hard before starting their gotcha and expensive subscription.

Original review: March 16, 2019

I ordered the DNA test and sent it back for testing. I was irritated before I got the results because I got emails every day wanting me to pay for other services, which I am glad I didn't do that. When I got the results they were not correct. I know my great grandmother was full blood Cherokee. That would make me 25% Cherokee if I had no other native American ancestors. They told me I had no native American blood. Ancestry is a total ripoff.

Original review: March 11, 2019

I hate when companies automatically put me on monthly subscriptions. I never signed up for monthly service, I have not used it and now in March I get the first CC bill from Jan. and see online that they have already charged me for Feb too. Take me off this now!!! Phone # on CC makes a you press # 1 or #2 for a commercial to sell life alerts and under 50 something else. Went online and waited over 15 minutes without a response other than "due to high call volume..." If you have done a dna test check your account. Make sure you aren't getting charged monthly fee unless that is what you want!

Original review: March 11, 2019

I was given an Ancestry DNA kit as a Christmas gift in December of 2018. As instructed in the directions, I registered the kit on an account I opened and mailed the kit in the first week in January 2019. I never heard back about the progress or receipt by Ancestry so I call them on 2/6/19. I spoke to a customer service rep named Matt. After a half hour of fumbling and lack of knowledge, Matt finally located the kit number I provided. He told me that Ancestry personnel had entered my email address incorrectly on his end. He said it was an error on their part and could not be corrected because of the way their program was designed. So he said he would mail me a new kit. We doubled checked the shipping information to make sure they had the correct name and address.

On 2/11/19, not having received the kit, I called again and spoke to Brenda. She told me it would take 7 to 10 days to receive it. I gave her the original kit number and asked her to check the date Matt mailed it out. As before, after about 30 minutes of being put on hold and fumbling back and forth, she told me she couldn’t find any record of it being sent. Once again I gave her all the shipping information and she said she would send out a replacement kit that same day.

On 2/25/19, guess what. Still no kit received. I called again and spoke to Crystal. Another 30 minutes or so, after explaining everything again, Crystal told me they had no record of a kit being sent to me. I asked to speak to a supervisor. Crystal balked, but put me on hold until one was available. Another 15 minutes went by and Crystal was back telling me the supervisor was still busy, but she would send another kit out. We carefully went over the shipping details. She said it would be shipping that day and after waiting another 5 to 10 minutes she provided me a confirmation number.

Today is 3/11/19. Yup you are correct, still no kit. I called again today hoping I would be able to talk to a supervisor. The recording said there would be at least a 30 minute wait to speak to a customer rep. I had other things to do. By the way, I gave all this information to Ancestry in an email survey. Gave them 1 star saying I would never recommend them to a friend. The automated survey responded to the 1 star and asked why. I explained it and have never heard back from them. Same zero response from an email I sent through their website to customer service.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I purchased a DNA kit for 99.00. Was not aware at time of purchase. That to be able to read your results you had to purchase a separate membership to unlock your results. I had taken advantage of the free 14 day membership to build my family tree. Also paid a subscription for 19.99 for one month to utilize some of their info to find your family information. To get full access to all records can be costly. 6 weeks later I get the DNA results. In order to read/unlock the results. You have to pay for a different subscription. Had I known that this was just a money pit and that I had to buy the corresponding subscription to review my results. I would not have bothered with this whole process. I suggest you review all of the subscriptions required to build your family tree. And the subscription required to read/unlock your results. Because I am not putting any more money in this venture. My DNA results are useless.

Original review: March 6, 2019

They are either very dishonest, or disorganized. After telling me that "my results are in" they can't find my results, and have no way to get them to me except through a complicated website that doesn't seem to work! (And I have no text - capability on my mobile phone!) I was on the phone with them for an hour, with a woman who said the mix up was "all my fault". I asked for a refund, but doubt that I'll get it (+-$100!!!) DO NOT DEAL WITH THEM!

Original review: March 5, 2019

We had problems with our DNA circles not showing or only two to eight of our of thirty-three would show. They used every excuse in the book, but none made sense since my wife who manages our account could see hers perfectly. If the problem is not readily apparent you are in a world of hurt because they don't know any more than you do.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I had tested with another company before Ancestry.com. I learned a lot about this DNA stuff. I also happened to know my ancestral background pretty well. This company doesn't give much detail and they give me very wrong information! To someone who doesn't know their background they might believe them, but it will not be the truth! Please read reviews before you buy! Ancestry.com want you to pay a membership fee in order to be able to keep logging in and know more! That's ripoff in my opinion. If they won't give me my full results, what did I pay for?

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

Don’t waste your money. If I could give them a “0” I would. I purchased a DNA kit for my husband in November for his birthday. Was told results take 4 to 6 weeks. Well today is February 18 & we are still waiting. Was told we didn’t register (we did). Would not give me a refund. Said it could take another 8 weeks or longer. At this rate - it will be his birthday gift for THIS November.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I am so disappointed with AncestryDNA. They lie about the expected date your results will be ready. My results have been sitting in the same process for 3 weeks now and I do not have faith in the company at this point. I don’t trust the process nor do I have faith that the results will be accurate.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I received my test results from Ancesty.com today and since I know my heritage on my mother's side I was shocked to see I dont have a drop of Native American blood in me. This is kind of strange since my mom, grandfather, great grandfather and great grandmother are members of the Cherokee nation. In short they are pure native Americans. I have tried to talk to Ancestry but they will not talk to me about it. So just want everyone to know if you are looking for real knowledge of your background dont trust this company.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I am Japanese by birth but was born on an occupied island nation taken several centuries ago. My DNA result said only that I am Japanese and provided no additional details on my ancestry composition or traits which is what I believed I was paying for. All attempts to get either a refund or additional information regarding my ancestry composition have failed. My sense is that Ancestry doesn't cover Asia, and buyers should beware.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I have been trying to get my DNA test results since October 30, 2018 and today received a text that my 3rd try didn't work either. Maybe it's because it sits there for over a month before anyone opens the package. You're lucky if you hear back from anyone and when you do, it's a canned response. I have ZERO faith in their ability to do the test correctly. Horrible! Don't use them! My friends used 23andMe and already have all their information! I've requested a refund but haven't heard from anyone and will be surprised if/when I do.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

8 weeks have gone by and I have never received confirmation of my kit. I called and was told by Customer Service it can take 8 weeks or longer, with no explanation of how long that “or longer” could be. The website says, "Log in and check on the status of your kit." That doesn’t happen. My kit doesn’t even show up. Very disappointing. Don’t waste your money on Ancestry kits. There are far too many other companies offering DNA results.

Ancestry expert review by Jami Barnett, Ph.D.

Ancestry launched Ancestry.com in 1997 and started doing DNA tests in 2002. Now, it offers subscriptions to a database of genealogy records and DNA testing for a genetic ancestry information. Subscriptions start at $19.99 per month, and DNA testing costs $99.

• Historical records: Ancestry subscriptions let you access many databases to learn about your family’s history and potential ancestors. All memberships provide access to U.S.census records, birth certificates, marriage licenses and death certificates. Some subscriptions also include records from the United Kingdom dating back to the 16th century.

• DNA testing: Ancestry uses microarray-based autosomal DNA testing, which looks at your entire genome at over 700,000 locations. You don’t need an Ancestry membership to get their DNA test. Regardless of whether you have an Ancestry membership, DNA testing costs $99.

• Find relatives: If you link your DNA results to the family tree that you create with your Ancestry membership, you may be able to find people who share an ancestor or DNA with you. To learn about family matches, visit the Support Center on their website.

• Hints: When you make a family tree, Ancestry offers suggestions to help you find additional records and add more people to your tree. These hints will show up as little green leaves, and they help you get a fuller picture of who your relatives are and what your family history is.

• Gift subscription: Ancestry sells gift memberships. They range from $99 to $299 and last either six months or one year. You’ll save 10 percent on the regular price when you buy a gift membership.

• Best for: historians, people doing genealogy research and people looking for genetic information about their ancestry.

Profile picture of Jami Barnett, Ph.D.
Jami Barnett, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Jami Barnett, Ph.D., is an experienced researcher, and she believes consumers have a right to clear and honest information about products. In her role at ConsumerAffairs, she thoroughly researches products and companies by interviewing experts, reviewing research studies, reading governmental regulations and investigating customer service responses. Her work gives consumers the information they need to make smart purchasing decisions.

Ancestry Company Information