1.13/5

558 Ancestry Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Signed up for the trial, hated the site and provided hardly any information. No email or confirmation if I wanted to sign up once the trial was complete, they just deducted my account for $139.99! I hit cancel straight away but it's too late. The worst site and people to deal with. I will let every one of my experience and how I am out of pocket $140! for no information. What a joke this company is!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I am a mixed blood Ojibwa Native American, I absolutely no the blood quantum to be an enrolled member of my tribe, these records are maintained by the BIA.

Ancestry DNA got that totally wrong. I don’t know anything about the rest of my non-Native side of the family. I got a match from my maternal grandmother’s side of family. Sent a message got a nasty reply about I have to fill out a family tree or the woman didn’t care. How can I do that when I only knew my maternal grandmother.

Get expert buying tips about DNA Testing and Ancestry Websites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I filed a complaint w/ BBB and Ancestry said they would refund in full. They DID NOT. I offered to return the package they sent, which is on my desk, unopened, at my expense, and still no response or refund as they told BBB they would. They are liars and cannot be trusted and should not be dealt with by the public.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

So, I have always been interested in my ancestry DNA. I know my mother was born and raised in the Netherlands and I know my paternal grandparents were born in Russia and Poland respectively. I also knew I had Jewish in my ancestry, but we consider that religion not ethnicity since some family aren't or do not claim a religion as I don't.

Anyway. I paid the money, anxiously awaited my results and wham I was so beyond pissed off. I was told I was 99% European Jewish and 1% Iberian. There was absolutely no breakdown of what countries my European background was from. I called and the woman said I should be so happy to be 99% Jewish. I said I wasn't because I'm not. So out of that 99% European result, I have no European countries or breakdowns listed. It was such a crock of **. I know for a fact my mother is Dutch, Spanish, French and we are Polish and Russian. Guess what, except for the Spanish I got nothing from what I know for a fact I am. Save your money. I believe, honestly, they just saw my last name and assumed I was Jewish, which is not what they are suppose to do. My cousin has a Spanish last name and she got different results due to her Spanish last name. LIES. ALL LIES!!!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

You cannot click a button and unsubscribe from this site, beware these guys are crooks, do not waste your money. You have to go in circles to get rid of this company, do not give them all your info unless you want 300 million loonies emailing you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ancestry?

Original review: July 27, 2018

Cancelling your account - is making you jump through the hoops. Click "Cancel Subscription" and it will just spin. NO CUSTOMER SERVICE phone # or email address anywhere on website. You will need to Google it 1-800-262-3787, then you will not be able to talk to a live person, and required to enter last 4 digits of credit card. They should make it as easy to join as to leave, it is a great service however they are very poor servicing their members with billing questions, changes or even "temporarily unable to load" pages.

Original review: July 22, 2018

After watching the MANY commercials on tv, I ordered the kit. The results stated that my ethnicity is 96% Asia East, 4% Polynesia. Suffice it to say that I am obviously Asian. That's it... TOTAL WASTE OF TIME and MONEY for anyone Asian. Don't waste your time here... Buy the 23andMe kit for better results.

Original review: July 20, 2018

I was adopted and wanted to do a DNA test just to see where my ancestors came from. Boy am I sorry! I wasn't interested, and still am not interested, in finding out anything about biological family. I'm over 60 and at this point in life it just doesn't matter. Too bad! They make your information public. I've had people from every continent and many planets email me saying they are my cousin, brother, sister, etc. Crazies is what they are! They all want or need money. Auntie Whomever needs surgery. Cousin Cletus's house burned down. We need money to repair our spaceship to get back to our planet. Right. Called Ancestry and begged them to remove my information. They refuse. I am constantly harassed. I wish I'd never heard of Ancestry. Run before you give them any information.

Original review: July 15, 2018

I wanted to check out ancestry.com at the advise of a friend to help with a family tree. First of all, their website isn't at all user friendly and second, even if you click on Free Trial, they make you enter your credit card and they charge you. I couldn't get much of anything to work and when I tried finding my friend I kept getting the message they weren't recognized although they already had their family tree started. Out of frustration I logged out and didn't log in again until I cancelled my trial subscription less than 7 days later.

I called customer service because online it indicated I wouldn't be refunded. Customer service was rude and pushed back and told me I didn't have a free trial offer even though they advertised it on their page. I was getting no help from her so I told her that their site was horrible and ended up hanging up on her due to my frustration. I do not recommend this company at all and only wish I had read some of these reviews before I tried it. I'm only out $19.99 but it's not the money more than the principle.

Original review: July 11, 2018

Recently every time I log on to do my research, the website is not working or half working. This has been happening since June of this year. I called several times and they indicated the site had a problem but is working. Yes for a couple of days it worked. Since last week I have not been able to save records to my Shoe Box, so I had to log off hoping they would fix the site. Logged the next day. Still not working. Waited a couple of days and attempt to log in today, the page will not even load, or it partially loaded. When I clicked on anything it didn't respond.

I finally called the customer service back and told them I request a refund since their site is not working. Why should we pay for services we are not receiving. I told the customer service representative who indicated their site is having issues which tells me, they are aware of it. At least reimburse customers or credit their account for the number of days the site is not working properly. I'm tired, customer service was a waste of time, she acts like she was clueless about the issue, so I'm gonna cancel my account and use another tree builder like Family Tree. Hopefully, I'll be able to transfer the over 2,000 records. Enough people need to come together and file a Class A lawsuit against Ancestry for this.

Original review: July 6, 2018

Ancestry.com has the worst customer service that I have encountered in a company of its size. On several occasions, I have tried to bring to their attention errors and other deficiencies in their online research process, and each effort has been met with indifference and lack of acknowledgement, much less any effort to correct. The most obvious deficiency I have tried to get Ancestry to correct relates to the U.S. Social Security Death Index.

One item of information contained on that document is the descendant's last place of residence. However, when one selects the Death Index for saving onto a tree, Ancestry transforms one's "last place of residence" to one's "place of death." Obviously, one does not have to die at his last place of residence. And, that error in the process has resulted in millions of incorrect entries onto family trees on Ancestry's website. It is such that one cannot rely upon any previous researchers' entries relating to place of death. And, the place of death can be an extremely important and valuable piece of information to an individual researching his ancestry. But, Ancestry.com will not even acknowledge such deficiency on its part, not to mention make any effort to correct it.

Original review: June 30, 2018

I joined Ancestry after doing a DNA test to find out my heritage. It didn't tell me what I didn't already know. But after spending over $500 between a one year subscription and the DNA test, I found I had to pay for birth certificates, death certificates etc... For Nova Scotia. Half of my family immigrated through Nova Scotia in the early 1700's. Ancestry does not have access to Nova Scotia data so that just cost me even more money. Then I get a 3 month warning saying they are going to bill my renewal. I didn't select auto renew, because I gave myself 1 yr to see how far I got. Then they emailed me to update my credit card info. Which is really weird, because they still just went ahead and charged my card through PayPal I think.

I called and after an hour they issued me a cancellation and said I would be getting a refund because she could see I haven't accessed my info for months. I wasn't happy with their info either. They only link up members who you've already added to your tree. So if you're hoping to find actual DNA relatives, unless you already know who they are, you're not going to get connected to them. So, then what is the point? Not impressed with their service at all. Now to wait for my refund that they said will take up to 7 days. Great! Just as the house payment is due.

Original review: June 4, 2018

When I received an email saying it was done, I opened it only to find my husband's results. Where did mine go? It also had his name at the top of report. I guess I disappeared. Very disappointed. Will try 23andMe.

Original review: June 2, 2018

For a month their website has been having major issues. Promised fix by May 31. June 1st, still not working. Been a paid for subscriber for over 5 years. Horrible customer service, response. "We're sorry you have problems... but we will not issue refund!"

Original review: May 21, 2018

Phone call is not worth it. Only ask for credit card account but my card is already expired. I need to speak with representative and don't have on the system. I did cancel on April 2018 but you charge it through PayPal without notified me in May. I change the setting on pre-approved billing cancellation. I will talk to the bank to delete it. This is bad service for cancellation. I will delete my email on Ancestry and they cannot access with them anymore.

Original review: May 20, 2018

I ordered my DNA test through Ancestry and although it took a while I did receive my results. The problem began when I tried to sign up for the free trial. The site refused to accept any of my credit cards and no, this wasn't a case of my card not having available credit, I have a number of cards all in good standing - SO, I called Ancestry and they told me that "unfortunately" this happens to some customers, not only was I not able to sign up for the trial (or any other account for that matter) the customer service representative wasn't able to manually enter my card number either.

When I asked how to resolve it the answer was... "I HAVE NO IDEA." Seriously? I was given an email address to submit a complaint to and I have but I'm not holding out much hope that there will be a timely resolution. Totally dissatisfied with their service and recommend people consider my experience before purchasing - this could happen to you too. Oh, and one other thing, they said this generally happens to people who attempt to purchase using an Apple device. (Mine was Microsoft) so to you Apple users out there BEWARE!

Original review: May 18, 2018

I bought this for my Mom as a gift using MY PERSONAL credit card, creating a series of auto renewing gouging. My 83 year old mom then lost her sight and cancelled her internet. When I noticed another billing on MY CREDIT CARD, I called and tried to cancel. They said my Mom had to call and cancel. Even though I was the one paying. What if, God forbid, my mom had died? Would I have to cancel my credit card to cut these users off at the source? HORRIBLE 2 day effort to try to cancel. Don't buy as a gift.

Original review: May 14, 2018

DO NOT EVER SIGN UP FOR THE TRIAL PERIOD on Ancestry.com. I immediately cancelled, within the trial period, now they are denying that I ever did that. They have been charging my CC every month since!! Now they are saying today is the first notice they got!! That is BS!!! I am demanding that they refund ALL my money. Am dissing them everywhere I can. Will also complain to the BBB and FTC.

Original review: May 12, 2018

I purchased a kit online. Received an e-mail stating "congratulations" and another one saying that "it is on its way". After two weeks, never I received it. I called them, and after long waits on hold, they wanted to send me another one. After this poor service and reading the horrible reviews for this company, I said, "No, I want a refund." The customer service person said, and then the supervisor that I demanded to speak with said that, "It is our policy to charge you $25 plus postage." I pointed out how unethical it was to charge me for a kit that never got sent. Eventually the supervisor refunded my money. So be assertive if you have to, or better yet, use another company like 23andMe. Ancestry.com is scamming people.

Original review: May 11, 2018

The DNA story provided by Ancestry.com is of limited value. It shows me what my DNA is made up of from a general geographic area of the world. That's it! That geo map showing migration patterns over the last 300 years tells me nothing of value. Essentially all it says is that sometime over the last 300 years some people migrated from some parts of Europe to someplace east of the Mississippi River and then some of those people started moving to other places in the USA. That ultra generic kind of info is available free of charge from any library as well as the internet.

I bought their DNA service believing it would tell me something specific about me. NO! And their search engine is also of zero value. I entered very specific and accurate info about my own mother to search birth and death records and it found NOTHING. On a scale of 1 - 100, with 100 being perfect, I would rate this site maybe 3 tops. My advice is don't waste your money. I certainly wasted mine.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I recommend that you don't sign up with these cheaters. I signed up for the free account and forgot to cancel within the time frame. They charged my account $20. I was okay with that because NOT canceling in time was my fault. But then I canceled a few days after the date. These jerks took money out of my account again, claiming my account was not canceled. Don't trust these cheaters!

Original review: May 1, 2018

I cancelled my subscription online to Ancestry on January 22, 2018. I pay my credit card online so I don't always closely review the charges; however, I was checking closely my April statement where I saw the charge to Ancestry. This caused me to review my February and March statements which showed I was charged those months also. When I contacted Ancestry my account clearly showed that it had not been accessed since January 22, the day I cancelled. They approved a refund which I assumed would be for all three months.

On April 24 I received a credit for 1 subscription month. I called customer service 5/1/2018 and after an extremely long hold time I was informed that it was my fault for not checking my card sooner. Be sure if you are cancelling your subscription that you do not do it online. Call the customer service number even though the wait time is extremely long. That is the only way you can be assured of the cancellation process. I will never recommend Ancestry to anyone.

Original review: April 25, 2018

Did the Ancestry.com saliva DNA test. Seems like if you are an ** they just hone in on "ALL" the African countries to give you a percentage make up. I have Cherokee Indian in my family, guess what not a lick of it in my percentage when I know this fact to be true, go figure. I'm not happy at all. Tried to download my "RAW" DNA report, not happening, "link expired"? REALLY?!?!

Original review: April 24, 2018

I first opened the account in 2008 just looking to search for family members. Grandparents I stop off and on pick back up when I would get more info. I met a family members that had info on my father sister. That threw me off way off by some years. I even let her be a guest and use it. Last month thing got crazy. I used another site which was 14 day trial and call this person to share the extra information. To be added to what we had. Waited all day. They meaning person never call me back as promised. So I call person. No answer. So I attempted to get back online because I had shared where I was with this person and I was completely shut out of the site I had just created. I was in shock... Well I searched my mind. I call them back. Still no answer. I block them from Ancestry account, and any getting in touch with me. I was at a loss for what happened still is.

On 4/11/2018 I was just putting the finishing touches on info I had research away in a shoebox inside Ancestry. I was assured that with all new passwords

No one could enter. For one it never cross my mind I was in danger. The only thing up until that point was trust. Around 3 AM I was up on the date posted finishing up for figure two I saw clear came through Into the Ancestry tree and clean all the information I store and saved. Sound forfeited. I know all my info was compromised. I have called so many times to Ancestry. I've reported it to the police three times. Last straw was yesterday. I don’t understand what is going on or why. I saw the other two people. They go in as private. I have no security And I’m told it’s hard to prove. I ask the rep to close that account and take it out my name. And refund my money. The people that I did list as guest never came. I’m confused as to what is going on, if I’m in danger and who these people are.

Original review: April 22, 2018

I was excited to sign up for Ancestry in hopes of finding a means of tracing my family tree. What I found was lack of records even for direct family members still living who would absolutely have all kinds of traceable documentation on them. Ancestry's findings will state false information that grandparents had one child, as an example, when I know for a fact they had more! I signed up for the Europe and Canada trace as well but with little or no evidence of a family member.

At first, I thought this may be due to the region I was searching and possible destruction of records so I decided to search on friends who would absolutely have birth certificates etc. and came up with nothing. I also tried the DNA test and I'm very suspicious about the results. I'm well aware of where most family would've resided but when I found an extended tree via a cousin who was also on Ancestry, I started thinking that the "results" of the DNA test were geared toward the bloodline through her family. Regardless, the results are vague anyways and not all that surprising or interesting. I wish I would've read the reviews before starting this as it's expensive overall.

Original review: April 17, 2018

The problem with Ancestry as I see it is that they want you to pay to access your own information. It goes like this. I naively entered a great deal of my family tree that I acquired the old fashioned way (court, probate, census, marriage, land and military records). This is data that took many years to acquire. Then what does Ancestry do? They send me an email saying they had new info and 'hints' on my family. I thought great, I'll check it out, only to find that they are sending me links to the data I just entered. What's worse is that they now want me to pay to access any corroborating documents. These are the same docs I used to compile my tree! And now, if any long lost relatives stumbles across my tree, they will be required to pay Ancestry for the right to see it. I have no say in the matter. Nice business model. You do the hard work, give it all to Ancestry for nothing and then they charge you and others to see it.

And then we have their DNA tests. All they give you are amorphous, ill-defined geographic regions for your ancestry. No surnames to match against. And even these do not always tally with the traditional genealogy results. For instance, when they say I have 10% Iberian DNA just what does that mean? I can go back 400 years and there's not a single Spaniard or Portuguese in my tree. Then they say I have 0% American Indian DNA, but I have family photos that go back to the mid-1800s that clearly show Indian ancestors. I'm not talking about Indian Princess b.s. either. I don't know what their reference DNA samples are, but they appear to be incomplete and way off.

Original review: April 12, 2018

Up until 2 weeks ago I was able to go to IGI batches on Google and get information from Ancestry to read census, births, marriages and deaths. Now it requires you sign up for Ancestry.com and requires you enter your personal information and that of your immediate ancestors, then it still does not give you access to the government owned original data, I have been doing research for approx. 45 years before internet and now I am blocked at all turns unless I pay a fortune for DNA testing.

Original review: April 4, 2018

Signed up for a trial but they had changed the compatible software so I cancelled the day before the trial ended. They have since billed me over $80 and I have cancelled it three times. The 800 customer service number does not work.

Original review: March 29, 2018

I signed up for a trial offer, but you can't access very much information that way so I decided to pay for a subscription. That didn't open up much more information and they were sending me emails trying to sell the DNA test. When I couldn't go back past 1875 I decide to cancel. Now they've automatically renewed the subscription and are trying to stick me with another $145 charge. So almost $300 to find out what I pretty much already knew. What a crooked business.

Original review: March 26, 2018

This test does NOT give you very much information so don't believe all the hype and "sale" prices. Since my computer past involves crashes I wanted to print for my own use the small amount of information they do give and all their website does is knock me out of my Internet Explorer. (I am able to print the e-mail telling me my DNA results are available but nothing else.) Since I am a "senior" thought maybe I'm too stupid to print so decided to contact them. Good luck trying to contact them if their FAQ'S don't answer your question. I got a screen up saying to call and the hours available with NO phone number. By the way, you get a little more information on the 23 and my test but the same problem with trying to print the info. I am getting lots of e-mails trying to get me to sign up for Ancestry so all they are interested in is the $$$.

Ancestry expert review by Jami Barnett, Ph.D.

Ancestry launched Ancestry.com in 1997 and started doing DNA tests in 2002. Now, it offers subscriptions to a database of genealogy records and DNA testing for a genetic ancestry information. Subscriptions start at $19.99 per month, and DNA testing costs $99.

• Historical records: Ancestry subscriptions let you access many databases to learn about your family’s history and potential ancestors. All memberships provide access to U.S.census records, birth certificates, marriage licenses and death certificates. Some subscriptions also include records from the United Kingdom dating back to the 16th century.

• DNA testing: Ancestry uses microarray-based autosomal DNA testing, which looks at your entire genome at over 700,000 locations. You don’t need an Ancestry membership to get their DNA test. Regardless of whether you have an Ancestry membership, DNA testing costs $99.

• Find relatives: If you link your DNA results to the family tree that you create with your Ancestry membership, you may be able to find people who share an ancestor or DNA with you. To learn about family matches, visit the Support Center on their website.

• Hints: When you make a family tree, Ancestry offers suggestions to help you find additional records and add more people to your tree. These hints will show up as little green leaves, and they help you get a fuller picture of who your relatives are and what your family history is.

• Gift subscription: Ancestry sells gift memberships. They range from $99 to $299 and last either six months or one year. You’ll save 10 percent on the regular price when you buy a gift membership.

• Best for: historians, people doing genealogy research and people looking for genetic information about their ancestry.

Profile picture of Jami Barnett, Ph.D.
Jami Barnett, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Jami Barnett, Ph.D., is an experienced researcher, and she believes consumers have a right to clear and honest information about products. In her role at ConsumerAffairs, she thoroughly researches products and companies by interviewing experts, reviewing research studies, reading governmental regulations and investigating customer service responses. Her work gives consumers the information they need to make smart purchasing decisions.

Ancestry Company Information