1.17/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

605 Ancestry Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 19, 2019

Wanted to let you know I have dropped my Ancestry subscription. After doing so I was shocked to find out that I did not own copies of the records I thought I had paid for. I believe that most subscribers are not aware that they do not retain ownership of the records they download. It seems you must maintain their expensive subscription in order to view your records. So If you plan to eventually hand off the research to a family member you are obligating them to renew the subscription if they want to see your work and/or continue it. I assume this policy is explained somewhere but I could not find it and they are not upfront about it. Therefore, I would recommend you think very hard before starting their gotcha and expensive subscription.

Original review: March 16, 2019

I ordered the DNA test and sent it back for testing. I was irritated before I got the results because I got emails every day wanting me to pay for other services, which I am glad I didn't do that. When I got the results they were not correct. I know my great grandmother was full blood Cherokee. That would make me 25% Cherokee if I had no other native American ancestors. They told me I had no native American blood. Ancestry is a total ripoff.

Get expert buying tips about DNA Testing and Ancestry Websites delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: March 11, 2019

I hate when companies automatically put me on monthly subscriptions. I never signed up for monthly service, I have not used it and now in March I get the first CC bill from Jan. and see online that they have already charged me for Feb too. Take me off this now!!! Phone # on CC makes a you press # 1 or #2 for a commercial to sell life alerts and under 50 something else. Went online and waited over 15 minutes without a response other than "due to high call volume..." If you have done a dna test check your account. Make sure you aren't getting charged monthly fee unless that is what you want!

Original review: March 11, 2019

I was given an Ancestry DNA kit as a Christmas gift in December of 2018. As instructed in the directions, I registered the kit on an account I opened and mailed the kit in the first week in January 2019. I never heard back about the progress or receipt by Ancestry so I call them on 2/6/19. I spoke to a customer service rep named Matt. After a half hour of fumbling and lack of knowledge, Matt finally located the kit number I provided. He told me that Ancestry personnel had entered my email address incorrectly on his end. He said it was an error on their part and could not be corrected because of the way their program was designed. So he said he would mail me a new kit. We doubled checked the shipping information to make sure they had the correct name and address.

On 2/11/19, not having received the kit, I called again and spoke to Brenda. She told me it would take 7 to 10 days to receive it. I gave her the original kit number and asked her to check the date Matt mailed it out. As before, after about 30 minutes of being put on hold and fumbling back and forth, she told me she couldn’t find any record of it being sent. Once again I gave her all the shipping information and she said she would send out a replacement kit that same day.

On 2/25/19, guess what. Still no kit received. I called again and spoke to Crystal. Another 30 minutes or so, after explaining everything again, Crystal told me they had no record of a kit being sent to me. I asked to speak to a supervisor. Crystal balked, but put me on hold until one was available. Another 15 minutes went by and Crystal was back telling me the supervisor was still busy, but she would send another kit out. We carefully went over the shipping details. She said it would be shipping that day and after waiting another 5 to 10 minutes she provided me a confirmation number.

Today is 3/11/19. Yup you are correct, still no kit. I called again today hoping I would be able to talk to a supervisor. The recording said there would be at least a 30 minute wait to speak to a customer rep. I had other things to do. By the way, I gave all this information to Ancestry in an email survey. Gave them 1 star saying I would never recommend them to a friend. The automated survey responded to the 1 star and asked why. I explained it and have never heard back from them. Same zero response from an email I sent through their website to customer service.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I purchased a DNA kit for 99.00. Was not aware at time of purchase. That to be able to read your results you had to purchase a separate membership to unlock your results. I had taken advantage of the free 14 day membership to build my family tree. Also paid a subscription for 19.99 for one month to utilize some of their info to find your family information. To get full access to all records can be costly. 6 weeks later I get the DNA results. In order to read/unlock the results. You have to pay for a different subscription. Had I known that this was just a money pit and that I had to buy the corresponding subscription to review my results. I would not have bothered with this whole process. I suggest you review all of the subscriptions required to build your family tree. And the subscription required to read/unlock your results. Because I am not putting any more money in this venture. My DNA results are useless.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ancestry?

Original review: March 6, 2019

They are either very dishonest, or disorganized. After telling me that "my results are in" they can't find my results, and have no way to get them to me except through a complicated website that doesn't seem to work! (And I have no text - capability on my mobile phone!) I was on the phone with them for an hour, with a woman who said the mix up was "all my fault". I asked for a refund, but doubt that I'll get it (+-$100!!!) DO NOT DEAL WITH THEM!

Original review: March 5, 2019

We had problems with our DNA circles not showing or only two to eight of our of thirty-three would show. They used every excuse in the book, but none made sense since my wife who manages our account could see hers perfectly. If the problem is not readily apparent you are in a world of hurt because they don't know any more than you do.

Original review: March 1, 2019

I had tested with another company before Ancestry.com. I learned a lot about this DNA stuff. I also happened to know my ancestral background pretty well. This company doesn't give much detail and they give me very wrong information! To someone who doesn't know their background they might believe them, but it will not be the truth! Please read reviews before you buy! Ancestry.com want you to pay a membership fee in order to be able to keep logging in and know more! That's ripoff in my opinion. If they won't give me my full results, what did I pay for?

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

Don’t waste your money. If I could give them a “0” I would. I purchased a DNA kit for my husband in November for his birthday. Was told results take 4 to 6 weeks. Well today is February 18 & we are still waiting. Was told we didn’t register (we did). Would not give me a refund. Said it could take another 8 weeks or longer. At this rate - it will be his birthday gift for THIS November.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I am so disappointed with AncestryDNA. They lie about the expected date your results will be ready. My results have been sitting in the same process for 3 weeks now and I do not have faith in the company at this point. I don’t trust the process nor do I have faith that the results will be accurate.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

I received my test results from Ancesty.com today and since I know my heritage on my mother's side I was shocked to see I dont have a drop of Native American blood in me. This is kind of strange since my mom, grandfather, great grandfather and great grandmother are members of the Cherokee nation. In short they are pure native Americans. I have tried to talk to Ancestry but they will not talk to me about it. So just want everyone to know if you are looking for real knowledge of your background dont trust this company.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I am Japanese by birth but was born on an occupied island nation taken several centuries ago. My DNA result said only that I am Japanese and provided no additional details on my ancestry composition or traits which is what I believed I was paying for. All attempts to get either a refund or additional information regarding my ancestry composition have failed. My sense is that Ancestry doesn't cover Asia, and buyers should beware.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

I have been trying to get my DNA test results since October 30, 2018 and today received a text that my 3rd try didn't work either. Maybe it's because it sits there for over a month before anyone opens the package. You're lucky if you hear back from anyone and when you do, it's a canned response. I have ZERO faith in their ability to do the test correctly. Horrible! Don't use them! My friends used 23andMe and already have all their information! I've requested a refund but haven't heard from anyone and will be surprised if/when I do.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

8 weeks have gone by and I have never received confirmation of my kit. I called and was told by Customer Service it can take 8 weeks or longer, with no explanation of how long that “or longer” could be. The website says, "Log in and check on the status of your kit." That doesn’t happen. My kit doesn’t even show up. Very disappointing. Don’t waste your money on Ancestry kits. There are far too many other companies offering DNA results.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I was never able to get a User Name or Password to work after trying for three days. I called and was given a User Name, and a Password, and that didn't work. I tried to cancel the account, and they still sent me a DNA kit after saying the account was cancelled. I tried again to Activate my account without success. I tried calling on the telephone, and they said the wait time was over 30 minutes. I left word on the internet, but I have not heard from anyone. This is the last place that I would recommend. This is the worst business that I have ever dealt with.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I found a charge of $160.92 on my credit card from Ancestry. That's how I learned they had renewed my subscription. I called and waited for over 20 minutes to talk to someone. No one spoke to me but I was put into a recorded survey. I went to my Ancestry account and cancelled my membership there and received a cancellation detail form that said they cancelled but no refund was given. According to their terms I canceled within the 30 day renewal period and should get a full refund. I feel that they are not interested in service once they sign you up. Terrible service and tricky terms of enrollment.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I signed for a free two week trial subscription. A good friend who has an access account did all the research on my family tree through his account. I cancelled my free trial but discovered that I had been billed 712 over a period of two years. They promptly refunded $280 and offered me two free years. However, being on a fixed income the remaining $412 is much more useful to me. I have asked for proof that consented to be billed monthly at $21.59. If I was going to continue to subscribe, I would have chosen a U.S. Discovery membership at $189/yr vs $259! Deceptive billing and unsatisfactory refund.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I have made several attempts to reach someone in the subscription department. Each time I stay on hold for almost 20 min and give up. I will initiate a chargeback on them thru my credit card company. POOR SERVICE...MY TIME IS VALUABLE.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I received a DNA kit as a gift from my mother. I activated my kit and received an email to keep for my records however, the order number was asterisked out except for the last 4 characters. I collected my sample and sent it in. Within 4 days, I got another email that my sample was received and in the lab processing. That was July 12, 2018. Today is 1/17/19, and I still haven't received my results. When I called, they said that my sample must have been lost. When I asked for them to send me another kit, they asked me for the order number. I explained that the email they sent me to keep for my records only showed the last 4 characters of the number. They said that I needed the entire order number and cannot send me another kit without it. I don't have the order number, I only have what they sent me.

The customer service rep commented, "You cannot return an item to the store without a receipt, can you? I cannot send you a new kit without the order number". But she confirmed that she can see where my sample was received and never processed. BEYOND my comprehension how they can believe that this is good practice. They had NO intention on satisfying me as a customer. TOTAL RIPOFF!!!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I tried to get a refund and they said it wasn't possible. I tried to cancel on site but the button just spun for 20 minutes before I closed the page. I then tried to email them via a support email I saw on a forum. Waited a couple days, no reply. So today I opened the chat and they refused to refund. Says they can't refund but their legal page says otherwise. ** Says you have 30 days after your free trial ends to get a Full Refund. Guess they aren't legit enough to make it based on happy willing consumers. The features of the website are pretty lacking, basically just newspapers that you have to pay for and they won't even let you import people or branches of a tree that connects to yours. Everything must be manually entered.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

They were fast in debiting my credit card. But I cancelled during the "FREE TRIAL" period. Never got an answer from them, least of all no refund. In my opinion a total ripoff company that has very little information. Could not even find my service time.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I've been a nearly 30 yr member of Ancestry. About a year ago, I couldn't update a person on my tree. I tried over and over. Finally I called customer service. They said to change browsers (although E is one of the browsers recommended). So I tried Google Chrome - it didn't help at all. I just quit using Ancestry because it simply wasn't working and I didn't want to lose all the years worth of family info & photos. NOW, DNA records don't work either. When I look at my DNA matches - a first cousin with an "extremely close match" shows a line of closeness of nearly nothing. It won't let me look at her tree or anyone else with whom I share DNA. I'm very tired of trying this program repeatedly and getting nowhere. It's extremely hard to get ahold of any actual person to help. I want to move everything off Ancestry.com to another program but fear I'll risk losing it all. Help. I want out after paying thousands and thousands of dollars and being a long standing member.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I signed up for the free trial which expired on December 27, 2018. I missed the cancellation and my card was charged $99 for 6 months. I found out from a colleague that she received notice of a New Year’s Eve Promotion for $49. I called and asked for the $49 price (since it began a few days after mine was due to expire) and was told it was too late. I asked why I didn’t receive the email promotion (we use the same school server) and there was no answer. This company is dishonest and will offer sales to people who are NOT using the free trial of their service. They know that many people can’t/don’t cancel before the two week trial is up, and they make more money if they don’t offer you their special deals. Instead, they just charge your card full price. This is a scam. Don’t try the free trial unless you don’t mind your card being billed for the FULL amount (even if they’re running specials).

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

So you must create an Ancestry account which I am fine with. It WILL NOT allow a husband wife to be on the same account. Seriously? You can't have a family account? So I called and was told, "No, each adult must have their own account." I ask Why? So they can claim how many people/accounts have used ancestry. Still completely ticked off about this.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

Ancestry needs to let customers know when they are purchasing DNA kits that they will be charged $25 for their materials if they have to seek a refund of their DNA kits. I purchased 3 kits. Got one free for Christmas gifts. No one wanted to share their DNA so I called to get a refund. First they only gave a refund for two of the three kits, as stated because my third would be considered the free one, but they were actually charging me for restocking fees for each kit of $25.00 without my knowledge which I later found out. So, my refund was for about $118.00 which I paid $201.00 with shipping and handling fees. And get this, they told me to throw the kits away instead of returning them! So, I charged sneakingly for restocking fees, but If you ask me that is not restocking!

The next day, I called to get a refund of the fourth one, the one I was charged for since I returned 3 kits the day before and was only refunded for two of those. The person that I gifted it to also felt uncomfortable about sharing their DNA. So, when I asked for a refund they told me they already gave me a refund for three. I told them no, I was only refund for two. We went round and round about this.

I talked to supervisor, who did refund me my full amount of $201.00 as a courtesy. She explained the restocking fee policy. I stated to her that they need to let customers know when they purchase these kits that they will be charged a $25.00 fee if they return them. I don't want to be told this while trying to return them. Also, the supervisor stated the $25.00 is for their materials that customers do have to pay when they are asking for a refund. They just say restocking fee, but I'm still confused because I have to pay $25.00 for their materials that they asked me to throw away! The kit was not opened. I could have returned it, but they did not want them, but wanted me to pay $25.00 for them! Nevertheless, I was refunded my full amount. I was very sorry for the transaction as I did not know they don't accept them back. But, want you to pay $25.00 if you ask for a refund. Keep this in mind if you are purchasing a DNA kit from Ancestry.com.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I just wanted to write this review to remind everyone- don’t even sign up for the free trial if you think you’ll forget about it! There are plenty of free resources to find members of your genealogy elsewhere- with Ancestry, you’re truly just paying for the pretty layout of the website. I got the free trial, right around Christmas. I was going to cancel it prior to them charging me for the subscription. I ended up getting really sick and completely missed the end date. Because of this, I was charged $35.

So, I reached out to Ancestry in hopes of fixing this. I knew from reading the terms and conditions that they won’t refund a monthly subscription- but, I thought that since I didn’t plan on using the subscription, I could be refunded and go on. No, this did not happen. Marie, Darcy, Doria, and Yewande have been the four customer service employees to contact me so far about this case. Darcy first informed me that they couldn’t refund me, due to me having bought a monthly subscription. I understood that, and explained why I was wanting the refund. Doria simply repeated what I was already told, just worded differently.

Lastly, Yewande told me that they “[I] made some searched on my account on January 2nd, 2019”, and again repeated that I couldn’t have a refund. So it appears that if you make a simple search while under a monthly subscription, you will not be refunded. I am disappointed. I pretty much try to refund a service that I didn’t even use after payment, but to no avail. Please be careful with subscriptions. Ancestry will do nothing to help you.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

They provide a date when your DNA results will be done, mine was a week ago and still nothing from them. I sent a message to customer support and the response was that it takes customer support about a week on average to return communication. Somebody is asleep at the wheel, this company is wide open to failure.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

To begin, I was very excited about having my DNA tested in order get an approximate idea about where my ancestors originated from. Being of "so called" ** decent, there is not a lot of information available to go back in time accurately to retrace my family's steps. The prospect of using available technology to point me in the right direction was appealing and although not an exact science, I was willing to further explore the idea. I saw a lot of ads about Ancestry DNA so I thought why not give them a try. November 14, 2018 The nightmare begins... After my kit was late several weeks and never showed at my mailbox, I contacted the company. They apologized and assured me that another kit will immediately be sent out. After some time and my frustration growing, the replacement kit arrived.

I followed the instructions to a tee. I don't smoke or consume alcohol. I made sure my sample was filled to the line indicated and made sure I did not eat or drink anything in accordance to the parameters that they set. Feeling pretty good that at least things will go smoothly from here on out, I resigned myself to a 2 month wait and then obtaining my results. In mid December, I was informed that my sample was received and my DNA extracted. Jan 3rd, 2019 I was informed that my DNA sample was no good and they would need another sample and could send a 3rd kit out to me for free.

I declined because I did not want to go through this fiasco all over again. I was told at that time that my account will be cancelled and that the postage could not be returned to me. I was also told that they would subtract $25.00 from me in addition to the $10.00 postage. They have left a bad taste in my mouth (excuse the pun) and I would vehemently discourage anyone who may even slightly consider giving them their business.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Results only give area, the part of the world your ancestors are from. They have that from their database of information based on your last name, census, immigration records, and individual Family Trees that we ourselves do. The results are in percentages. A% from Great Britain, a% from Africa, etc. on regions. That's all it is folks.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

I feel fortunate that I only spent $49 for this DNA test. Even with that discount, it was a complete waste of my money! The "results" consisted of one page of simple graphics depicting information I already knew about where my relatives descended from. The results were laughably poor, my son could have done a better job in early elementary school with the graphics and the info. was useless. Save your hard earned money! Try a different company.

Ancestry expert review by Jami Barnett, Ph.D.

Ancestry launched Ancestry.com in 1997 and started doing DNA tests in 2002. Now, it offers subscriptions to a database of genealogy records and DNA testing for a genetic ancestry information. Subscriptions start at $19.99 per month, and DNA testing costs $99.

• Historical records: Ancestry subscriptions let you access many databases to learn about your family’s history and potential ancestors. All memberships provide access to U.S.census records, birth certificates, marriage licenses and death certificates. Some subscriptions also include records from the United Kingdom dating back to the 16th century.

• DNA testing: Ancestry uses microarray-based autosomal DNA testing, which looks at your entire genome at over 700,000 locations. You don’t need an Ancestry membership to get their DNA test. Regardless of whether you have an Ancestry membership, DNA testing costs $99.

• Find relatives: If you link your DNA results to the family tree that you create with your Ancestry membership, you may be able to find people who share an ancestor or DNA with you. To learn about family matches, visit the Support Center on their website.

• Hints: When you make a family tree, Ancestry offers suggestions to help you find additional records and add more people to your tree. These hints will show up as little green leaves, and they help you get a fuller picture of who your relatives are and what your family history is.

• Gift subscription: Ancestry sells gift memberships. They range from $99 to $299 and last either six months or one year. You’ll save 10 percent on the regular price when you buy a gift membership.

• Best for: historians, people doing genealogy research and people looking for genetic information about their ancestry.

Profile picture of Jami Barnett, Ph.D.
Jami Barnett, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Jami Barnett, Ph.D., is an experienced researcher, and she believes consumers have a right to clear and honest information about products. In her role at ConsumerAffairs, she thoroughly researches products and companies by interviewing experts, reviewing research studies, reading governmental regulations and investigating customer service responses. Her work gives consumers the information they need to make smart purchasing decisions.

Ancestry Company Information