1.22/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

587 Ancestry Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I have made several attempts to reach someone in the subscription department. Each time I stay on hold for almost 20 min and give up. I will initiate a chargeback on them thru my credit card company. POOR SERVICE...MY TIME IS VALUABLE.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I received a DNA kit as a gift from my mother. I activated my kit and received an email to keep for my records however, the order number was asterisked out except for the last 4 characters. I collected my sample and sent it in. Within 4 days, I got another email that my sample was received and in the lab processing. That was July 12, 2018. Today is 1/17/19, and I still haven't received my results. When I called, they said that my sample must have been lost. When I asked for them to send me another kit, they asked me for the order number. I explained that the email they sent me to keep for my records only showed the last 4 characters of the number. They said that I needed the entire order number and cannot send me another kit without it. I don't have the order number, I only have what they sent me.

The customer service rep commented, "You cannot return an item to the store without a receipt, can you? I cannot send you a new kit without the order number". But she confirmed that she can see where my sample was received and never processed. BEYOND my comprehension how they can believe that this is good practice. They had NO intention on satisfying me as a customer. TOTAL RIPOFF!!!

Get expert buying tips about DNA Testing and Ancestry Websites delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

I tried to get a refund and they said it wasn't possible. I tried to cancel on site but the button just spun for 20 minutes before I closed the page. I then tried to email them via a support email I saw on a forum. Waited a couple days, no reply. So today I opened the chat and they refused to refund. Says they can't refund but their legal page says otherwise. ** Says you have 30 days after your free trial ends to get a Full Refund. Guess they aren't legit enough to make it based on happy willing consumers. The features of the website are pretty lacking, basically just newspapers that you have to pay for and they won't even let you import people or branches of a tree that connects to yours. Everything must be manually entered.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

They were fast in debiting my credit card. But I cancelled during the "FREE TRIAL" period. Never got an answer from them, least of all no refund. In my opinion a total ripoff company that has very little information. Could not even find my service time.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

I've been a nearly 30 yr member of Ancestry. About a year ago, I couldn't update a person on my tree. I tried over and over. Finally I called customer service. They said to change browsers (although E is one of the browsers recommended). So I tried Google Chrome - it didn't help at all. I just quit using Ancestry because it simply wasn't working and I didn't want to lose all the years worth of family info & photos. NOW, DNA records don't work either. When I look at my DNA matches - a first cousin with an "extremely close match" shows a line of closeness of nearly nothing. It won't let me look at her tree or anyone else with whom I share DNA. I'm very tired of trying this program repeatedly and getting nowhere. It's extremely hard to get ahold of any actual person to help. I want to move everything off Ancestry.com to another program but fear I'll risk losing it all. Help. I want out after paying thousands and thousands of dollars and being a long standing member.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ancestry?

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I signed up for the free trial which expired on December 27, 2018. I missed the cancellation and my card was charged $99 for 6 months. I found out from a colleague that she received notice of a New Year’s Eve Promotion for $49. I called and asked for the $49 price (since it began a few days after mine was due to expire) and was told it was too late. I asked why I didn’t receive the email promotion (we use the same school server) and there was no answer. This company is dishonest and will offer sales to people who are NOT using the free trial of their service. They know that many people can’t/don’t cancel before the two week trial is up, and they make more money if they don’t offer you their special deals. Instead, they just charge your card full price. This is a scam. Don’t try the free trial unless you don’t mind your card being billed for the FULL amount (even if they’re running specials).

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

So you must create an Ancestry account which I am fine with. It WILL NOT allow a husband wife to be on the same account. Seriously? You can't have a family account? So I called and was told, "No, each adult must have their own account." I ask Why? So they can claim how many people/accounts have used ancestry. Still completely ticked off about this.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2019

Ancestry needs to let customers know when they are purchasing DNA kits that they will be charged $25 for their materials if they have to seek a refund of their DNA kits. I purchased 3 kits. Got one free for Christmas gifts. No one wanted to share their DNA so I called to get a refund. First they only gave a refund for two of the three kits, as stated because my third would be considered the free one, but they were actually charging me for restocking fees for each kit of $25.00 without my knowledge which I later found out. So, my refund was for about $118.00 which I paid $201.00 with shipping and handling fees. And get this, they told me to throw the kits away instead of returning them! So, I charged sneakingly for restocking fees, but If you ask me that is not restocking!

The next day, I called to get a refund of the fourth one, the one I was charged for since I returned 3 kits the day before and was only refunded for two of those. The person that I gifted it to also felt uncomfortable about sharing their DNA. So, when I asked for a refund they told me they already gave me a refund for three. I told them no, I was only refund for two. We went round and round about this.

I talked to supervisor, who did refund me my full amount of $201.00 as a courtesy. She explained the restocking fee policy. I stated to her that they need to let customers know when they purchase these kits that they will be charged a $25.00 fee if they return them. I don't want to be told this while trying to return them. Also, the supervisor stated the $25.00 is for their materials that customers do have to pay when they are asking for a refund. They just say restocking fee, but I'm still confused because I have to pay $25.00 for their materials that they asked me to throw away! The kit was not opened. I could have returned it, but they did not want them, but wanted me to pay $25.00 for them! Nevertheless, I was refunded my full amount. I was very sorry for the transaction as I did not know they don't accept them back. But, want you to pay $25.00 if you ask for a refund. Keep this in mind if you are purchasing a DNA kit from Ancestry.com.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I just wanted to write this review to remind everyone- don’t even sign up for the free trial if you think you’ll forget about it! There are plenty of free resources to find members of your genealogy elsewhere- with Ancestry, you’re truly just paying for the pretty layout of the website. I got the free trial, right around Christmas. I was going to cancel it prior to them charging me for the subscription. I ended up getting really sick and completely missed the end date. Because of this, I was charged $35.

So, I reached out to Ancestry in hopes of fixing this. I knew from reading the terms and conditions that they won’t refund a monthly subscription- but, I thought that since I didn’t plan on using the subscription, I could be refunded and go on. No, this did not happen. Marie, Darcy, Doria, and Yewande have been the four customer service employees to contact me so far about this case. Darcy first informed me that they couldn’t refund me, due to me having bought a monthly subscription. I understood that, and explained why I was wanting the refund. Doria simply repeated what I was already told, just worded differently.

Lastly, Yewande told me that they “[I] made some searched on my account on January 2nd, 2019”, and again repeated that I couldn’t have a refund. So it appears that if you make a simple search while under a monthly subscription, you will not be refunded. I am disappointed. I pretty much try to refund a service that I didn’t even use after payment, but to no avail. Please be careful with subscriptions. Ancestry will do nothing to help you.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

They provide a date when your DNA results will be done, mine was a week ago and still nothing from them. I sent a message to customer support and the response was that it takes customer support about a week on average to return communication. Somebody is asleep at the wheel, this company is wide open to failure.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

To begin, I was very excited about having my DNA tested in order get an approximate idea about where my ancestors originated from. Being of "so called" ** decent, there is not a lot of information available to go back in time accurately to retrace my family's steps. The prospect of using available technology to point me in the right direction was appealing and although not an exact science, I was willing to further explore the idea. I saw a lot of ads about Ancestry DNA so I thought why not give them a try. November 14, 2018 The nightmare begins... After my kit was late several weeks and never showed at my mailbox, I contacted the company. They apologized and assured me that another kit will immediately be sent out. After some time and my frustration growing, the replacement kit arrived.

I followed the instructions to a tee. I don't smoke or consume alcohol. I made sure my sample was filled to the line indicated and made sure I did not eat or drink anything in accordance to the parameters that they set. Feeling pretty good that at least things will go smoothly from here on out, I resigned myself to a 2 month wait and then obtaining my results. In mid December, I was informed that my sample was received and my DNA extracted. Jan 3rd, 2019 I was informed that my DNA sample was no good and they would need another sample and could send a 3rd kit out to me for free.

I declined because I did not want to go through this fiasco all over again. I was told at that time that my account will be cancelled and that the postage could not be returned to me. I was also told that they would subtract $25.00 from me in addition to the $10.00 postage. They have left a bad taste in my mouth (excuse the pun) and I would vehemently discourage anyone who may even slightly consider giving them their business.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Results only give area, the part of the world your ancestors are from. They have that from their database of information based on your last name, census, immigration records, and individual Family Trees that we ourselves do. The results are in percentages. A% from Great Britain, a% from Africa, etc. on regions. That's all it is folks.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

I feel fortunate that I only spent $49 for this DNA test. Even with that discount, it was a complete waste of my money! The "results" consisted of one page of simple graphics depicting information I already knew about where my relatives descended from. The results were laughably poor, my son could have done a better job in early elementary school with the graphics and the info. was useless. Save your hard earned money! Try a different company.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

On November 20th 2018 I purchased my DNA kit: $59.00 for the kit & $9.95 shipping = $68.95. The kit was delivered on November 26th. In just a couple days or so I made a special trip to a Post Office where I could go into the lobby during normal working hours and place it in a mail drop. I didn't want to just drop it into an outside mail drop since sometimes people put liquids or other garbage there. Then I waited for the results. The only result I got was an email on December 3rd "Still interested? Looks like you didn’t complete your order." They were still trying to sell me what I'd already paid for! Well, they got my $68.95 and some saliva but that's all. What a Rip-OFF!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I signed up to search my family tree but never got beyond my dad's parents. The website didn't know any more and while I did find out information on my mother's side, I didn't want to research a dead end until I could talk to my cousin to get more info on my dad's grandparents. I tried to cancel which must be done 2 days before the 14-day trial ends and if trying to cancel online you have to push a bunch of buttons and fill out surveys and then still don't complete the cancel. I tried canceling by phone and got disconnected twice. The third time I waited over 20 minutes and spoke to someone who said there was no record of me canceling until today and that since the trial period was over that the $44.99 monthly subscription is non-refundable. Don't give them your credit card number. If you do then watch your monthly statements and remember you were warned.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

I paid for my DNA test $134 with tax. It took 50 days to get the results. It was very disappointing to get some info which is very obvious. Based on person's first and last name they tell you where your ethnic background is from. My advice to anybody, Do Not Waste your money. This is a scam and nothing else.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I purchased an ancestry kit from Ancestry.com early in 2018. I waited for almost two months after sending my sample in, only to find out that they "lost" my sample. They then sent me another kit. After receiving the "results" from sample they told me I was 60% British, 10% Scotch/Irish, and the rest was "European". I was terribly disappointed in the one page, color-laden map document that told me nothing. My relatives were German, Scottish, and Armenian. No mention of my Armenian ancestors in the report was amazing to me, because my son took a 23&Me test and was identified as having that genetic value. Ancestry.com is a money maker for certain Utah-based organizations, and their focus is NOT on accuracy, but only on volume. Don't waste your money or time with them, only to receive generalized, non-specific results!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

SCAM ALERT! I purchased three kits recently, one for me and two for some friends. Turns out that my friends already used AncestryDNA, with no new discoveries by the way. I called customer support to return 2 of the kits, the customer service rep stated they charge a $25 partial refund fee for each kit. This is an UNETHICAL scam, knowing very well people won't return the item with such a large fee. DO NOT BOTHER WITH ANCESTRY.COM, take a look at all the other negative feedback online. To the Ancestry.com customer service agent, please don't bother responding with your pre-written responses that have no true resolution. They make your company look worse than it already is. No, I don't want to re-gift this product to anyone.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

My wife presented me with a DNA kit from Ancestry.ca as a gift for Father's Day in June 2018. I followed all instructions diligently as provided in the kit. More than a month later, they advised me that the test failed and requested a new sample. I did just that. The test failed again...2nd time. They requested another sample. The test failed again...3rd time. They now want another sample...4th time. Either I have alien DNA from a different race on a different planet, or their testing procedure is flawed. It apparent that they will not provide refunds so I would strongly recommend against purchasing this product. Disappointment would be an understatement!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

PLEASE BE SURE YOU REALLY WANT TO PURCHASE A DNA KIT BECAUSE IF YOU CHANGE YOUR MIND FOR ANY REASON... Just moments after I purchased a DNA kit online, I spoke to my brother in law to tell him about my purchase and he said HE just bought a DNA kit to gift to my husband for Christmas! I decided since he bought his first, I would ask for a refund of my purchase before it even got processed. The Ancestry rep told me they were perfectly fine about refunding my money...LESS $25!!! I reminded her that I JUST paid for it only minutes ago and she said that was the policy. I told her I felt that was an unnecessary and harsh penalty for changing my mind! Before being redirected to leave my (highly negative) feedback, I told her I was sorry she worked for a company whose refund policy is so consumer-unfriendly, and would have to give that bad news to customers!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I sent for my kit...returned DNA...took over 3 months and they told me I was Italian. I knew that!! Nothing else was sent to me? I am looking for a sister I never met and they're asking me for info!! If I knew the info I wouldn't have paid them! Highly disappointed.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I submitted my first DNA test to Ancestry on August 27, 2018. After 6 weeks I was informed the test failed. Sent in another DNA sample on Oct 1, 2018. On November 6, 2018 I am told that test failed and to reorder another test. Each time the test gets to the completing stage and then I am told it has failed. Each time I have done the test I followed the directions. Sent an email telling them I have Sjogren's and this affects the moisture-producing glands. Certainly they must have a better test. I cannot be the only person they have tested that has this condition. Still waiting for the response from Customer Service.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

My Ancestry chart was way off course. A guessing game on their part. That, I could live with. But after digging/researching on my chromosome list... well that there has kept me up at night. Three or four of my chromosomes, and maybe more... I lost count, say it's a mutation chromosome, and rarely does anyone carrying it survive past the age of 7. My chromosomes show Mental Retardation, Mosaic Down Syndrome, Leigh Syndrome, etc. etc. I think I have more mutation chromosomes than Ancestors. Waste of money? Yes!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

September 2018, I sent in my mom's DNA to Ancestry. Since my mom has a Chinese name, the DNA came back saying that from China Originally, she was not born in China and China has 56 different kind of Chinese. There was no breakdown of which race she is. It seems that Ancestry looks at your name and make a final decision to tell you which country your ancestry are from, not which race and ethnicity we are from. Example if you have a Japanese name and you were not born in Japan, and you are a mix bred, Ancestry will tell you that you are from Japan because you have a Japanese name.

Why do we pay Ancestry so much to do the test, is to know the breakdown of our DNA such as Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Thai, Filipino, Malaysian, Indonesian, Indian, Lebanese etc. I don't expect Ancestry to tell me that my mom from China because I already know that my great great great...grandfathers were originally from there. Since we are the 15th generations, after moving around the world, my mom was not born in China and her ancestors have moved and stayed in so many places.

Not only that Ancestry sent me "create a family tree" free. It is only free for couple of weeks. There is a conditions. Ancestry will auto charge you for an annual fee since they have your credit card from the 1st day you buy the DNA kit from them. I went to email them to unsubscribe it and they did cancel it for me. DO NOT create family tree on ANCESTRY before the DNA result arrives. If you do the family tree, Ancestry will immediately knows who you are. I did not do the family tree for my mom, hence they told me my mom is from China 'cause of her Chinese name. However, my mom is not from China and was not born in China. And my mom has 6 DNA in her proven by MyHeritage DNA.

I went to MyHeritage DNA, it has a breakdown of my mom's DNA including the percentage of her race and ethnicity group. My mom has 6 different DNA in her. And it also includes where she was born and what race and ethnicity group she is. My mom is a mix bred. My brother and I went to MyHeritage DNA without doing our family tree. He lives in Australia and used his son's saliva and I live in Canada and used my saliva, MyHeritage DNA connected me with my brother's son and my mom. Amazing. When I sent my mom and my saliva to MyHeritage DNA, I didn't give the same address and same email, I didn't do family tree before the result because I wanted to make sure that MyHeritage DNA is truthful to our DNA. Yes MyHeritage DNA is.

As for AncestryDNA, no star for them. Very disappointed. I was planning to do my whole family DNA and suggested my friends and relatives to do it too, I change my mind. AncestryDNA is more expensive than MyHeritage DNA. And AncestryDNA does not give a breakdown of our races and ethnicities. It just looks at your name and tell you the country your ancestor from. If you have a Korean name even though you are mix bred, AncestryDNA will tell you, your ancestor from Korea. Why pay AncestryDNA to do that when we already know that.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Took the DNA test in December 2017. I already knew who most of my ancestors were and genealogists have traced some lines back many generations. I was strongly encouraged to put my family tree on Ancestry, which I painstakingly did in March 2018. I said I wanted the tree to be public. In October, they still have not published any of my tree on the Ancestry website. I didn't learn anything new from Ancestry. My original DNA analysis was a bit surprising. Then last month they changed my analysis, which seemed more reasonable.

I decided to put the family tree online because I had a great deal of information and I thought others who were related could learn something or that I would learn something new. However, I'm the only one who can access my family tree and I already know what it is. Should have posted somewhere else where it could be seen. Customer service has been horrible. No answers, no help.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

Fortunately we already had our ancestry 'precisely' established back to 1622 with specific persons, genders and birthdates. Our ancestors were French Huguenots who had to leave France after the first rebellion. It was just to verify the history and hopefully gain some insights into the sketchy past between 1458 and 1622. What I got was 42% Russian and Eastern European and 41% Germanic European. Really? Prior to 1878 my ancestors were in Hungaria and moved to Germany. I buy the 3% other countries, but the results are at least 83% FALSE. Let's see what they come up with for my wife.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

First of all, as an ** descent, I really just wanted to get an idea of where in Africa I was mostly made up of. Having been here so many generations, I knew the answers would not be cut and dried. There has been too much mixing to expect that. The test results gave me percentages of not only my ** ancestry, but many other regions, including Europe, and following an update to their database, even a little native American. I thought that was cool. But what happened that I did not expect is that I found out, without a doubt, my true paternity and genetic connection to family I thought I would never have the opportunity to know. And even beyond my wildest dreams, I now have a personal relationship with at least some of my family from that side. For me, this site has been wonderful, and worth the price for what I received. I know everyone will not get the same experience, for whatever reason, but again, for me, it has been fantastic.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

They had no problem taking my payment and processing the payment but never gave me my account. They could never find me, but had no issue deducting payment and all this was on one email address. I even sent them proof of payment and still they refused to refund me or acknowledge their computer issue. They actually said they have no record of me being a customer? I am glad I recorded my customer service conversations and saved all the dispute emails. My bank refunded me today and agrees that Ancestry.com is more of a scam than a real service and then I suspect they make their main money off of the wholesale to third parties of DNA and record information.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

My Father doesn't have an ancestry account and doesn't want one. I ordered a DNA test for him with my account. The test seems straightforward enough but to get the test results, he has to sign up for a free trial. If I cancel in two weeks will he even have the test results back or will he have to pay for some months that he doesn't want waiting on the results. Why shouldn't I be able to activate the test for him instead of having to send him an invitation and then he has to deal with it? I have his permission but he's not computer savvy and doesn't want to have to pay anything. I paid for the test. Next time I will order my test from someone else.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Signed up for the trial, hated the site and provided hardly any information. No email or confirmation if I wanted to sign up once the trial was complete, they just deducted my account for $139.99! I hit cancel straight away but it's too late. The worst site and people to deal with. I will let every one of my experience and how I am out of pocket $140! for no information. What a joke this company is!

Ancestry expert review by Jami Barnett, Ph.D.

Ancestry launched Ancestry.com in 1997 and started doing DNA tests in 2002. Now, it offers subscriptions to a database of genealogy records and DNA testing for a genetic ancestry information. Subscriptions start at $19.99 per month, and DNA testing costs $99.

• Historical records: Ancestry subscriptions let you access many databases to learn about your family’s history and potential ancestors. All memberships provide access to U.S.census records, birth certificates, marriage licenses and death certificates. Some subscriptions also include records from the United Kingdom dating back to the 16th century.

• DNA testing: Ancestry uses microarray-based autosomal DNA testing, which looks at your entire genome at over 700,000 locations. You don’t need an Ancestry membership to get their DNA test. Regardless of whether you have an Ancestry membership, DNA testing costs $99.

• Find relatives: If you link your DNA results to the family tree that you create with your Ancestry membership, you may be able to find people who share an ancestor or DNA with you. To learn about family matches, visit the Support Center on their website.

• Hints: When you make a family tree, Ancestry offers suggestions to help you find additional records and add more people to your tree. These hints will show up as little green leaves, and they help you get a fuller picture of who your relatives are and what your family history is.

• Gift subscription: Ancestry sells gift memberships. They range from $99 to $299 and last either six months or one year. You’ll save 10 percent on the regular price when you buy a gift membership.

• Best for: historians, people doing genealogy research and people looking for genetic information about their ancestry.

Profile picture of Jami Barnett, Ph.D.
Jami Barnett, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Jami Barnett, Ph.D., is an experienced researcher, and she believes consumers have a right to clear and honest information about products. In her role at ConsumerAffairs, she thoroughly researches products and companies by interviewing experts, reviewing research studies, reading governmental regulations and investigating customer service responses. Her work gives consumers the information they need to make smart purchasing decisions.

Ancestry Company Information