Ancestry

Compare Miscellaneous

Research top Miscellaneous recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I was charged for the World Explorer subscription without warning after a free trial. Since there was no new information forthcoming more than I had already provided, I cancelled it promptly. The cancellation application informed of a refund due. At the same time the site offered upgraded services for an additional fee! The help link leads you to an FAQ page with no way to communicate directly with a person. To be fair, I could not give them a 1 star as there wasn't an opportunity to be rude. I am also waiting for my results. The site should have warned about the wait time to manage expectations and not find out about the delay at the member's log-in site (You have had to pay for a kit to get here). If you want prompt results or plan on giving this as a present, don't buy the service or the subscription or if you have an account, any upgraded service!

They just tried charging my account $150.00 because my "free" trial ended. I received NO warning that this was going to be taken out of my account and had to spend almost 30 min waiting for a representative to answer my call so I could get the charges knocked off.

Worst experience ever. I requested DNA testing and received inaccurate information that I was 34% of European descent 14% Irish when I am of French and Scottish descent. I was then informed that I had 692 4th cousins none of who I knew. For all this banal information I paid $100.00 with no refund options. Google ConsumerAffairs reviews and you will find all negative, very dissatisfied customers.

I did a free trial at the site to find information about my ancestors. Very little information was actually available at the site. So I cancelled to avoid being charged for a site that wasn't helpful. Even though they sent a cancellation number, they bill me monthly on my credit card. I want to warn others about their practices. Don't sign up for a "free" trial. They will ignore any cancellation.

This is another data collection website for the government. Just like facebook.com people freely post information about themselves. Not realizing they are willingly giving out the information for free. Even when you request the information to be private it's not! With extra pay you can access that information from another account. Your credit card cannot be deleted from their website. It's held hostage. It's best to use prepaid visas or report it stolen and get it replaced upon completion.

This website is also an excellent way for scammers to collect data about your family members. Give enough detail about them and they can pretend to be others. I tried ancestry.com when it became big in the beginning and my grandmother became a scamming victim of the website. Deleted the account immediately upon the first scamming story.

I've tried several free trials and found that Ancestry.com all too often sends the charge through to the card even after you terminated the transaction. This has been proven with the use of several prepaid visas. It's a challenge to request a refund. Though it is possible. I've tried researching different family trees and one family line goes nowhere with ancestry.com. It's as clueless as I am. This is the whole reason I briefly signed up. I do not advise ancestry.com nor any other site promising the same family tree. It's not that difficult to pull out a pen and paper and start connecting the dots. Don't provide the government any more information than you need to!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ancestry?

I set the date in my calendar and got online to cancel a FREE trial before it ended having already paid $99 for a DNA kit. When I noted that Ancestry.com automatically billed my credit card twice ($39.98), I called customer service and politely explained the situation. She said she believed me, but it is the policy of Ancestry.com NOT to refund customers' money so there was nothing she could do other than cancel my subscription AGAIN. I now doubt the results of my Ancestry DNA test - especially after reading other reviews. Ancestry.com needs to be investigated for fraud.

I requested my DNA kit when Ancestry had a "deal" @79.00. I received my test and returned it within the week. After about 5 weeks, I got my results, such as they were. Nothing specific at all... everything I was could have come from anywhere in the world! It was 24% from this country, oh but wait! That 24% can also be from another country, or another country. So for every percentage that I am, I could be from just about anywhere in the world! Unfortunately, I was looking for answers, since I was adopted and know nothing about my family history. I have several medical issue. It would be great if I could find someone that shares my medical history. And the best part, Ancestry tells us they have millions and millions of people in their databases. So tell me, how in the hell can there be no one that matches my DNA??? Do not waste your money. Hire a investigator instead. Save yourself some heartbreak.

For the past several days... "Page not found"... Sorry can't access... and just failed!!! I PAID for a year subscription and expect to be able to access information. There is no place to email or place a comment complaint or ask for assistance!!! GRRR... Come on... It use to be so easy!!!

I purchased the DNA kit for my wife for a Christmas gift. Her Dad dies about a year ago and her mother was still alive (at 85). She, like many wanted to trace her DNA to see what exactly she was. After all her Dad and her Mom both came from a background with very strong American Indian roots. In fact her dad took her to the reservation when she was a child w/ her grandfather. Not to mention her Mom told stories of visiting her grandfather in Tenn & Alabama at the other Indian reservation. She even spoke about hanging fruit and such from the Tee-Pee. So it was well known throughout the family that there were American Indian roots. Now we never expected to hear that she was 100% American Indian and we even joked about her being 1/3...1/2...etc. So we were excited to finally get the results.

Well...I have to admit. When we got the news. We both broke out in huge laughter. I mean it went on for 30 mins. Why? Because they said she was 68% English and the rest was European. Not 1 stitch of any DNA from the Indian Tribe. Nothing from either one. Well...needless to say. We called her Mom and told her the news. She said (in a very defiant way) "That's a bunch of ** and you got ripped off!!!" Then we had to hear 40 mins of stories on all the trips to the reservations and her roots as a Cherokee and her Dad which was Blackfoot. So all I can tell everyone is this. Buyer Beware and make sure you go a local real place that does real evaluations and doesn't just use your generic last name to punch out a DNA description. It was a huge disappointment and dare I say. A rip off.

After paying almost $100 for my DNA to be tested, I could not believe that in order to try to find family members on their website you have to sign up for a ridiculously expensive monthly subscription!!! I thought I had done my research but man was I wrong. Had I know this is what Ancestry.com do to their customers I would have chosen 23andME instead. So disgusted and felt like I threw my money away.

We purchased 4 DNA test for my family and after all of them were done, result were ridiculous. When you create your account, it does ask you what country you were born so definitely I listed my country of origin located in Eastern Europe. Results showed that I'm Eastern European for 96% which is kind of ridiculous because Eastern Europe includes the countries of Russia, the Czech Republic, Poland, Hungary, Romania, Moldova, Croatia, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Slovenia, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Ukraine, Belarus, Serbia, Montenegro, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Albania, Kosovo and Macedonia. I thought they will give me more detailed results and more information. After first result was done, I wanted to return other 3 since they never been activated or sent. Boxes were sealed and stuff. They denied to refund money since it's against their policy. COMPLETELY UNPROFESSIONAL AND NOT RECOMMENDED!!!

Like the commercials on TV showed, I was hoping to find out more about my genetic background. I was expecting percentages of Asian ethnicities like Mongolian, Japanese, Korean etc... but instead after waiting what seemed like a couple months I received this... "Ethnicity estimate: 100% Asia East". Are you kidding me? How general and broad is that? I already knew that. I immediately sent a complaint through their website. Then received this reply:

"Thank you for contacting Ancestry in regard to receiving 100% East Asia in your DNA results. We apologize for the confusion. On AncestryDNA.com, before you order the kit, it does advertise that we have 26 ethnic regions, and shows on a map what the regions are and where they cover. For Asia, unfortunately we only have 3 regions: Asia East, Central, and South. They are all pretty broad. We are not scamming anyone or trying to hide what our results show. The science simply hasn't progressed this far yet. As more people take the DNA test, we are able to do more research. We are still researching ethnicity as it is still an emerging science.

The East Asia region in particular has been a difficult one due to lack of huge numbers of samples (like we have from Europe, for example due to the sheer volume of European-Americans who have taken the test) and lack of genetic variation between different countries of the East Asian samples we do have. However, as it is one of our largest regions we are actively researching to break it down further. Any updates that happen in the future regarding ethnicity will be retroactively applied to your test and will reflect the change if applicable. We will send an email notifying our members of the update. Unfortunately, we have no ETA on when these updates will happen, if ever, but we are hoping to break down our larger ethnicities as soon as possible. We hope you stay informed by periodically visiting our blog for DNA updates as well."

So... they don't have the technology to find out the genetic testing of people in Asia? WTF?!?! Then mention it on your commercial so you don't trick those with roots from that region. No refund, nada, and what a super joke of a business.

I ordered a kit on Friday and canceled shortly after (same day) because the results are taking months which is what I read. The representative told me the order would be canceled in about 2 days and that I would receive a full refund once that was complete. Nothing had shipped at this point. Now it is Tuesday morning and I have a shipment notice with tracking information in my email. They could have canceled before that order was processed and shipped.

First let me start with saying you'd seriously believe the customer service reps are idiots. Borderline retards. I am not sure if language is a problem or not but asking a simple question is quite literally like getting your teeth pulled. More often than not they'll respond with a useless scripted response that does not actually deal with the issue at hand. But then Ancestry.com is the embodiment of scam-artists so they probably hire individuals with all the moral fibre of a skunk. Or a slug.

As for my issue. I'd never deal with this crap site. Ever. Except for their 14 day trials. I feel sorry for people who do because guess what ancestry.com is garbage with a capital G. For example, it is more than a pathetic joke when you find birth certificates attached to people whose name isn't even remotely similar. People born in completely wrong cities, to the wrong parents, etc., etc., etc. Be warned. If you have more money than brain cells join Ancestry. If you have some working brain cells avoid this site like the plague.

Ancestry.com has a no refund policy regarding their monthly accounts and they bill a day earlier than your account is due payment. I called to tell them I wanted to cancel and I would like a refund because I literally cancelled 1 hour too late. They say they cannot refund me unless I was on a yearly subscription. So they can refund 400.00 dollars for their yearly accounts but refuse to refund a 44.00 charge. Ridiculous. I will not recommend this company to anyone and if I do I will make sure they do not sign up for the free trial because they will get charged a day early. I will dispute the charge with my bank.

I feel so badly for the people who have been ripped off by Ancestry.com. 10 years ago I received a 3 day trial and then cancelled. The information that I looked up was very accurate. I told my husband that they must have been bought out by another company who could care less. My recommendation is always to look into a company before you invest.

I ordered a DNA kit from Ancestry.com. I sent it back and today I received the results. I had researched my mother's lineage to Sweden, back to the 1600's. Realizing 50% of my DNA is from my father, on my mother's side with generations going back to Sweden to the 1600's, I should have had more than 5% Scandinavian in my results. Both of my mother's parents were Swedish, as were their parents and so on... back to the 1600's. That should have produced more than 5% Scandinavian. It showed 58% of my results showing Great Britain. This is not believable or reliable.

I spoke to a rep from Ancestry today and explained my disappointment. Unfortunately there is nothing that they can do, once the test is done. Results even showed there wasn't a close DNA match. They listed a couple hundred that were supposedly, maybe 4th cousins and on... I would not personally recommend doing this DNA test and expecting accurate, believable results.

I signed up for the international membership at Ancestry.com. I have discovered the company is housing fake information. To explain, I found my grandmother's marriage license with picture and the information claims my mother is illegitimate, among other things. This is a fake license purposely put on the site to be misleading in the most cruel, criminal way. This company should be shut down immediately. DO NOT USE.

Ordered 2 kits for Christmas for my parents a month ago and found out today that they never made it out of the local post office. After speaking with Ancestry, they were apologetic but told me there was no way for them to expedite shipping replacements. The new kits are going back out via the US Postal Service and will not arrive for another 5-7 days. It's extremely disappointing. They could not find a way to deliver them faster given the circumstances and the fact that it's Ancestry's responsibility that their shipments arrive successfully.

I made the mistake of ordering test kits for my wife and a daughter, from another marriage, before I read any reviews. Both women have well documented Native American ancestry. I was told by the Ancestry folks their DNA data bank goes back 1000 years, then I was told 500 to 1000 years. Then they send me an e-mail stating any ancestor going further back than a GG grandparent (150 or so years ago) cannot or may not be traceable? How can a DNA finding not produce GGG Grandparents results but show the ancestors going back to grandparents 10-15 times removed!!! BUYER BEWARE!!! One statement seems to cancel the other. It's sounding like a scam and I'll report back after I get an answer from them soon.

To get a DNA test kit, you have to subscribe. The problem is, you can't cancel very easily. And it's $20.00 a month. I hate it when company's make it difficult to unsubscribe, hoping you'll just give up or get frustrated and let the subscription continue until you really have time to sit down and work through their cancellation process. What worthless business approach-- let people easily cancel if they want to cancel. They have a support document that supposedly guides you how to cancel, however, my account information did not have an online option to cancel, as the instructions implied. So I eventually had to call in and cancel. I won't be using Ancestry.com again. What a joke.

I purchased a DNA kit as a gift on a Black Friday Cyber weekend special that was being offered and the next day I told a co-worker about the special. She promptly ordered a kit as a gift for a loved one. The very next day I received an email stating that if I referred someone who bought a DNA kit, I would receive an Amazon $10.00 gift card. I called Ancestry to let them know of this and give them the info so that I could get the referral gift and a lady in customer service who said she was a manager, said that she could not honor the gift card. She offered me a free month of Ancestry but wanted my credit card to set up the account. I asked twice to speak with a manager that was over her department and she again informed me that she was a manager and I could call back but may get her on the phone again. She said that they were all managers and would not give me the information I required or give me the referral gift.

I WILL NEVER USE ANCESTRY.COM AGAIN! THEY ARE A SCAM! When I asked to return the kit, I was told that there was a $25.00 restock fee for a return. It obviously does not matter if I am an unhappy customer to this business!!! It is ridiculous that since I referred someone, I cannot get the referral credit! Don't do business with this company!

A few years ago I sent samples to Ancestry to learn my ethnic background. The results said my ancestors probably came from south east Asia. Recently I sent a new sample and the results said my ancestors came from Europe. Did they move? Also there is an explanation of why native American ancestry is not listed. Now there is a big TV ad where the woman says she is 6 percent Native American. What gives?

My wife and I bought two DNA kits and followed the instructions to the letter. My wife's information was posted first. We do not know anything about her family (adopted). It gave us some info about possible relatives. After many more weeks my information was posted. Strangely it matched my wife's info exactly to the estimate of her heritage. It even stated that my wife and I are brother and sister, maybe even twins. I live in the south but the jocks are not true. I would tell anyone to stay away from this company if you want to know where you came from.

My daughter asked me to try the 14 Day Free trial due to a class project at the end of the school year last year. I signed up for the free trial then around the 12th day I set a reminder on my calendar to cancel. I got online and hit the 'cancel my subscription'. The site went to a page that looked like the site was having issues. I tried again on the 13th Day and when it did the same thing again, I sent an email to the company at the address they advertised on the website: ancestry@ancestry.com.

I did not receive a response and due to being in military training for most of the summer, I did not realize they started to bill me. My wife caught it on our credit card statement and we attempted to cancel again, with the same issue on the site. I called in person and cancelled in October when we saw it again on the September statement. I was charged on that day for another month. Not sure what is going on with this company except it I would not recommend even trying it unless you are prepared to go through a lot to cancel. My cancellation number is in the order number box.

The old bait and switch, really bad testing. After sending in two viable samples, and thinking that they would expedite my test after failing to extract DNA the second time, and waiting over a week for the third I gave up. They also don't tell you that there are long processing times because lab in which they process them is backed up (they don't tell you that till you pay them). Can take many weeks. We were also did one on my wife and her results very broad so they are of little use. After talking to an Indian tribe ancestry they said they do not use ancestry.com because of poor quality. They don't trust the results.

As a former computer programmer, I believe I am in a good position to rate the workings of this program. The programmer appears to be unqualified for the immensity of the job. Managing all of these records is a challenge and requires EXPERIENCE. Today I wanted to continue some research. I put in the individual's name and the name of her parents were different than what I had printed out the last time. Last time her father's name was Richard ** and today it is David **. The program no longer prints the "tree" as it did 6 months ago. I did not receive a notice of changes.

I will mention one more problem, although there are many. As a "FULL" member, I am suppose to have access to "archives." I do not have access and Ancestry DOES NOT include all of the archives information. In archives, my individual had 202 'hits' but Ancestry did NOT have all of them. I had to file a complaint with PayPal, about a previous account I had with Archives.com.

I had been pleased with Ancestry.com until this week. When I tried to access information from Family Tree Maker, it was logging into an old username and had me listed as a "registered guest" and gave options for buying a subscription. I logged in from their login page and changed that username, which didn't help but I could still log in from their login page. Now, I'm locked out of my account completely and my PAID subscription does not expire until February 13, 2017. Plus, I even bought an upgrade of FTM.

I signed up for a DNA test the early part of this year. After waiting 8 weeks for results I was notified that I did not have enough DNA in my saliva for testing. I submitted again and received the same message after 8 weeks. I notified the company who said they could not refund my money after 30 days but they would be happy to send to another person. I had them send to my sister. She took the test and was just notified that we are 67% British and 27% Irish. This is very, very wrong. I know for a fact that my mother's grandmother was 100% Comanche, her father was 50% Comanche and 50% English, and her mother was 100% German. My father's parents were Welsh. My husband had a similar experience. His test was a gift from our daughter so we were only out $99. Still we are very, very dissatisfied and believe this is fraudulent and should be investigated by the AG of Utah.

I read several complaints about Ancestry.com and I want to give you my opinion. I love this company and the service they provide. It has completely met my expectations and cannot understand how people can be unhappy with this company.

Ancestry Company Profile