Ancestry

Compare Miscellaneous

Research top Miscellaneous recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I missed a sale by a few days and asked for a price adjust which would have saved me $40. They said no. I asked if I could return it and rebuy at the sale price and they said they would charge me a $25 restocking fee, plus the $10 for the shipping again ($35) plus the shipping to return it back ($45). So I would actually lose money that way. Poor customer service!! I always grant my customers price adjusts if they notice they booked a service just before a deal and missed out. Would have been nice to see this business extend the same courtesy.

A few months ago, I had my DNA done by Ancestry. Unknown to me, they started charging me for a subscription that I did not order. When I requested cancellation and a refund, they refused to allow the refund but said they would cancel the subscription. I feel that I have been scammed by them.

Paid them $2500 to help us find my husband's bio dad. Said we could cancel our search at any time just by calling. Well...we did call, several times to cancel. And as of today, still haven't received any refund at all. Very frustrated!!!

If you're a European Jewish person don't bother submitting your DNA. I did and all they told me was that I was a European Jew. They could not tell me any specific country I was from. My map showed from Germany on east. A waste of money.

I request for my DNA to be mailed to me as an official doc. I was told they don't mail DNA. I can't print because the entire info. will not print not even the origin map. I paid 100 bucks and waited 8wks and you can't mail my results. What a rip-off Ancestry is.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ancestry?

I wanted to cancel my account on Ancestry. I went to their website, logged in and went to my account. The link to cancel the account was missing. According to Ancestry if the link is missing then the account doesn't exist! If the account doesn't exist why are they billing me every month? After waiting over 5 minutes to speak with a representative I was offered the previous month’s payment of 19.99 when the charges had accumulated to over 200.00. They will never have me or any of my friends and relatives sign up with them.

I went through the cancellation process on ancestry.com and believed my account was deactivated only find out I was being charged for a monthly subscription. Upon calling customer service they insisted if the cancellation was successful I should have a confirmation email from them but I did not receive one. I am very computer savvy and have used the internet since it was in its infancy and feel confident that the cancellation process was misleading. Beware if you want to cancel your subscription.

I had a wonderful experience with the website. I have only used the Ancestry.com website for online research purposes to discover the origins of my immediate family members. I liked the idea of finding out where my close relatives were really from. Their countries of origin were sometimes different from what I had originally thought, or what I had been told by other members of my family. However, I did not like the prices for the monthly membership fees. I was eventually forced to stop researching my family heritage because it became too expensive. I really would have liked to continue with my research. Moreover, I have not used the Ancestry DNA service because it is definitely too expensive for me to afford.

The information I received was accurate and the price for the information was reasonable. I was able to go back 5 generations before I received enough information. I could have continued back further if I had wanted. I have shared the information with my son because I think it is important for him to know his heritage. We have built a family tree going back 5 generations. By receiving my "tree" I know what my heritage is. I like that the response time was reasonable and the pricing was within the range I was comfortable with. But I would like to pay less for more. You have to continue paying if you want more information. A flat fee would be better but then you would run the risk of receiving false or misleading information. But I was satisfied with services rendered.

I use ancestry.com when I am filling out my family. It was a wonderful experience. Hope to join again. I like the way they can fill in family from the wide information they have. When they put the leaf you know there is more to come. It has been amazing. I have been able to connect to other family members in other parts of the country and find other ways of doing research for my family. I wish I had more time to work on it. I use it when I have extra time. I need to get back to it soon. I need to put more family and pictures in. I haven't seen anything I dislike. If there was anything at all it would be when my membership lapses that when you go back you have to start over.

I signed up for a product costing $299 per year. They charged me monthly at $38.10, which is $457 per year. When I called to complain, I'm told I need to email a special department to get my refund. I email that department every few days. No response yet and it's been a month. They are a FRAUD.

I used Ancestry.com briefly many years ago doing genealogical research because I was given a free 30 day trial. I actually did most of my research by visiting the LDS church in Salt Lake City, and Federal archives (microfilm) in my area. Ancestry.com did not really provide much information for me that I did not already have from my research. For the beginning researcher it provided some good background information on family history, regional history, that kind of thing. I recall the interface being easy, and it was fun, like opening a big box filled with unknown treasures. It had access (at that time) to some of the census rolls, which was great info that I normally had to struggle with, and also some ship rolls as well, although I don't think I found the information on the main immigrant ship that I was seeking.

When I used it, it was not as in depth as I would have liked it to be, but I think it is good for most researchers. It definitely is a time saver, especially for those who are starting out in their research. I had a trial a very long time ago, about the time it came out. I did build a family tree but had already done so from my previous research. I did not use the AncestryDNA as that is a newer creation, but my uncle did so. He discovered that in some distant past we had Native American blood in our veins -- which was not reflected on the official family tree. Kind of cool, that. I would like to do the AncestryDNA now that the science is better, and hope to do so before much longer.

I used Ancestry.com to find out if the information I had from a previous genealogy was correct. It was fairly easy to navigate and resulted very revelating information. The specific things I liked about Ancestry.com were: how fast the response time was & the information the utility gathered. There was only a couple of small things that I didn't like about Ancestry.com. First, the "registration" process was a very time consuming process. But although the sign up process took longer than finding my family tree, it was a relatively user friendly experience. Second was the fact that you could only get so much information as a guest and you had to pay to get the rest of the information, but I understand why it's set up that way. I only used it the one time, but it did help to validate the information I'd already acquired. It was overall a very positive experience and one I would recommend to family & friends. I would definitely use it again.

My husband got me the Ancestry DNA kit for Christmas 2016, which he gave me earlier and we mailed in on December 22, 2016. We waited six weeks and then received an email that they could not get my DNA. They sent another kit which I followed the instruction and sent my sputum in again. Six weeks later again, they could not get my DNA. My husband called in looking to see if we could get a refund but they refused to refund us our money. Instead, they are mailing us yet another kit.

I used Ancestry to build a family tree and it took several months. The tree is now public and I have received many comments and additions. Sharing the tree has proven useful. Also useful is the fact that, once on the Web, others may suggest changes. I also found the hints very useful and I still look at them even though my subscription has expired. The hints that arrive later on are also valuable, but I cannot click on them without paying. I wish the subscription was less expensive. It was $99 for a year. I'm on a fixed income, so this is hard to do after building the initial tree. I recommend it for building a tree, not for continued maintenance.

I had some success with Ancestry. I was able to make a good family tree, mostly with information I already had. I only discovered one of two ancestors that I didn't already know about. I like the links to documents where I see proof of what my ancestors did what like ship passenger records, traveling to and from Europe, birth and death records, military service, etc. The leaves to click on are helpful for finding possible matches to my ancestors. However, it is difficult to determine if someone is actually related to me in many cases. Many of the people are misspelled. But the US Census documents can sometimes help to link people together.

I like just how much ancestry.com knew about my family tree. I had heard from friends the amount of knowledge the site had. Amazingly I learned about my family tree dating back till the 1880s. This impressed me more than anything. I would recommend this to all my friends and will. It was informative but it took some time to get it figured out. But after digging into the formats it became simpler. I really like all the the suggestions it provided me for my searches into my relatives. I simply type in a name and the site pulls up possible recommendations. Of course I needed to weed them out one by one, and it's very time-consuming deciding who was related to me or not. I had to do other research to make sure the suggestions the site recommended to me in fact were my relatives. Some were and others were not. I did find it enjoyable. I could have used the DNA option but found it a little pricey.

I like a lot of things about ancestry.com. Everything on ancestry.com is great. I have been using this site for a while and I only have good reviews of it. It was a great experience for me. They have the very up-to-date tools to help people find family members all around the world. It's also easy to use. I'm thankful for this site. I have found a lot of members of my family all around the world using this site. It's also easy to search for certain people in the search section. All you need is their date of birth and city and state. You can search everything from death records to immigration records. I use someone else as a guest. I have used the DNA service to find family. I have built my family tree and trying to find more of my family.

My experience with ancestry.com was alright. I ended up canceling because of money, but I also never found anything really cool. It could be that I didn't look hard enough for information. Or maybe I myself didn't have the right information to find my family. Either way, I never got very far down my family tree. I really do wish I had found out more and that it had been a little easier to do so. It wanted some very specific information and people don't always have that. I know I didn't.

When I was using ancestry.com regularly, and had a paid membership, I had made a family tree as best I could with information I had. I did some searching for family members as well, based on the names I had. I like that they have options for sending in a DNA kit to make it easier. But the DNA kits cost too much or I might have tried that. If I had had the money, I would have done that to make it easier on myself. It would have been great to find out if what my dad has told me is accurate.

I was amazed at all the information I could find on my family. Definitely my new favorite site and past time. I like that it is very easy to use. My kids have been able to use Ancestry.com because it's so simple. Very addicting. Hours fly by and you don't even realize. Before I knew it hours had flown by. Best time ever!!! I had no problems and I wouldn't change anything. And I would definitely recommend it to friends and family. Can't wait to go back and learn more. I was a guest. But I'm considering getting a membership because I know there's more for me to learn and discover. I look forward to spending time with my family.

I used Ancestry to build a family tree. I like the large amount of data and records they have available. The advertisements are informative and engaging. I would appreciate more information for people of African heritage, and a way to upload analysis results from other companies. The process was easy and fun, but I lost interest for reasons unrelated to the services offered. I also didn't like that I couldn't receive a full refund after a certain amount of days. I ordered a DNA kit, but it wasn't the analysis type I was looking for.I got a refund and went with another company, but customer service was quick with the refund. I might try it again at a later time.

It was interesting to learn about my family's genealogy and there was a lot of information available. I was even able to find my great-grandparent's birth certificate on there. Very cool and neat. I really liked using the free trial period because it allowed me to determine if I would be interested enough in their services to pay for a subscription. Being able to look at how I am connected to other distant relatives helped me to understand my family history better. I did make a family tree when I used it and my sister has used a free trial as well and shared the information with me. I wish that the service could be provided free of charge and just use advertisements rather than have people pay so much for a subscription. Not everyone can afford the subscription fee, but the service is very interesting and helpful.

Like with many online companies buyers must watch! Have you heard the saying, Something stinks? It sure does because I believe I was overcharged $104.97!!! I signed up for a month (December). I was not charged in January only to be charged for the next 3 months. These months I didn't use it. I found this out by looking back at my bank payment. What a shock to see. :o The usage of Ancestry.com to find ancestors is somewhat easy. I will be checking out other online businesses to find my family history. :)

We've had wonderful experiences with them. We've sent in several kits to see where we're from. I know more about where I'm from but my husband his family were a bit in the dark. We've found a lot of people on his side that they had no idea existed and it's been a cool adventure. I like finding out where my husband's heritage is from and I like finding new and old relatives like the relative we found who got arrested for doing something wrong in church. We've used Ancestry DNA and we use our aunt's account as a guest. We've also built a family tree on both sides. My husband's side, his aunt's and my side, my parents, brother, his kids. It's a huge tree. It is a great site and I would recommend it to others who want to find out about their family tree.

My son got me started on this because he wanted to know about his history because of his children. I have my own membership. However, the website and the leaves are hard for me to understand. I need to figure this out so I can make a family tree. I don't find enough people that may be related to me. But it was great finding out what I am, I was adopted. Had an idea but this verified what I was. I got a history of my DNA, with percentage of what I am and possible relatives that might match. It also gave me a history of the countries I'm from. It was enjoyable.

I am a member of Ancestry.com. I am using it to build my own registry. I have been researching my ancestry, as well as my husband's. I have had one issue in identifying a great grandfather. There hasn't been enough information about this man; he was not well known in my family, and I only have his name. I find the results I am getting through Ancestry.com to be extremely interesting. But I think that they charge too much for an annual membership, and even more for a membership in other countries. I need to look into Europe for more ancestors and have not, since it costs so much. It distresses me how much money it costs, i.e., it's more money than just having the U.S. membership. I don't really understand why there should be more money charged for searching outside the U.S. for ancestors when our country isn't all that old.

I had to put information about me and my parents first. Then they redirected me to their payment site where I had to pay membership in order to get the results. Since I knew no one who uses Ancestry I bought the lowest membership possible. It is sad that I had to pay in order to find my ancestors. The membership fee was pretty expensive. But from what I have seen after I paid I'm pretty impressed with the results I got. They search very thoroughly for my family and gave many results for me to choose from. Once I choose my family I saw a huge tree of my family members. It was very diverse which was strange but interesting. I got to see that a lot of my family was from Jamaica and the others was from Europe.

I wanted to find out about my family history. Ancestry.com helped me find that out. It taught me and my parents things we never knew about our family. Not to mention the workers at ancestry.com were incredibly nice. I created my own membership and also created a family tree. The things I never knew about my family I now know thanks to ancestry.com.

I own a membership. I'm a DAR volunteer genealogist and I use it for research for others. Before it was available, I had to visit libraries, cemeteries, courthouses etc.. Now I am able to most research from my home computer and not having to travel for basic family research. I wish Ancestry would develop a program that could be used in schools that would introduce children to do family history. How much more I would have appreciated Am. History if I had known family members arrived on the Mayflower, fought in the REV WAR and the hardships they endured. It makes me realize how easy my life has been. Also, I have visited, with my grandchildren, the places my ancestors lived and tell them the stories I have learned so they can learn and appreciate Am. History.

I also like sharing and connecting with other family members. There are always new members who connect with my family who add info on family history that I otherwise not know. Sharing pictures and family stories are great. My husband and I have meet with other family members that we would not have known without this website. I have done the DNA test and I am sorry that many on the DNA test group that connect with do not do a family tree or have theirs locked so we can connect. The mystery continues. I respect their privacy but how much they are missing out on.

Be careful when purchasing ancestry.com subscription. Purchased a month and then I went in and purchased a six month subscription on my account. They charged me for the six month and another month. When I called them to get my credit for that month charge they double charged me. They would extend me another month... So I explained to them that was the purpose why I went in to do six month so I wouldn't get charged for the month service. I then decided since I wasn't get my credit I cancelled both subscription charges.

Ancestry Company Profile