1.26/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

566 Ancestry Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I submitted my first DNA test to Ancestry on August 27, 2018. After 6 weeks I was informed the test failed. Sent in another DNA sample on Oct 1, 2018. On November 6, 2018 I am told that test failed and to reorder another test. Each time the test gets to the completing stage and then I am told it has failed. Each time I have done the test I followed the directions. Sent an email telling them I have Sjogren's and this affects the moisture-producing glands. Certainly they must have a better test. I cannot be the only person they have tested that has this condition. Still waiting for the response from Customer Service.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

My Ancestry chart was way off course. A guessing game on their part. That, I could live with. But after digging/researching on my chromosome list... well that there has kept me up at night. Three or four of my chromosomes, and maybe more... I lost count, say it's a mutation chromosome, and rarely does anyone carrying it survive past the age of 7. My chromosomes show Mental Retardation, Mosaic Down Syndrome, Leigh Syndrome, etc. etc. I think I have more mutation chromosomes than Ancestors. Waste of money? Yes!

Get expert buying tips about DNA Testing and Ancestry Websites delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 14, 2018

September 2018, I sent in my mom's DNA to Ancestry. Since my mom has a Chinese name, the DNA came back saying that from China Originally, she was not born in China and China has 56 different kind of Chinese. There was no breakdown of which race she is. It seems that Ancestry looks at your name and make a final decision to tell you which country your ancestry are from, not which race and ethnicity we are from. Example if you have a Japanese name and you were not born in Japan, and you are a mix bred, Ancestry will tell you that you are from Japan because you have a Japanese name.

Why do we pay Ancestry so much to do the test, is to know the breakdown of our DNA such as Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Thai, Filipino, Malaysian, Indonesian, Indian, Lebanese etc. I don't expect Ancestry to tell me that my mom from China because I already know that my great great great...grandfathers were originally from there. Since we are the 15th generations, after moving around the world, my mom was not born in China and her ancestors have moved and stayed in so many places.

Not only that Ancestry sent me "create a family tree" free. It is only free for couple of weeks. There is a conditions. Ancestry will auto charge you for an annual fee since they have your credit card from the 1st day you buy the DNA kit from them. I went to email them to unsubscribe it and they did cancel it for me. DO NOT create family tree on ANCESTRY before the DNA result arrives. If you do the family tree, Ancestry will immediately knows who you are. I did not do the family tree for my mom, hence they told me my mom is from China 'cause of her Chinese name. However, my mom is not from China and was not born in China. And my mom has 6 DNA in her proven by MyHeritage DNA.

I went to MyHeritage DNA, it has a breakdown of my mom's DNA including the percentage of her race and ethnicity group. My mom has 6 different DNA in her. And it also includes where she was born and what race and ethnicity group she is. My mom is a mix bred. My brother and I went to MyHeritage DNA without doing our family tree. He lives in Australia and used his son's saliva and I live in Canada and used my saliva, MyHeritage DNA connected me with my brother's son and my mom. Amazing. When I sent my mom and my saliva to MyHeritage DNA, I didn't give the same address and same email, I didn't do family tree before the result because I wanted to make sure that MyHeritage DNA is truthful to our DNA. Yes MyHeritage DNA is.

As for AncestryDNA, no star for them. Very disappointed. I was planning to do my whole family DNA and suggested my friends and relatives to do it too, I change my mind. AncestryDNA is more expensive than MyHeritage DNA. And AncestryDNA does not give a breakdown of our races and ethnicities. It just looks at your name and tell you the country your ancestor from. If you have a Korean name even though you are mix bred, AncestryDNA will tell you, your ancestor from Korea. Why pay AncestryDNA to do that when we already know that.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Took the DNA test in December 2017. I already knew who most of my ancestors were and genealogists have traced some lines back many generations. I was strongly encouraged to put my family tree on Ancestry, which I painstakingly did in March 2018. I said I wanted the tree to be public. In October, they still have not published any of my tree on the Ancestry website. I didn't learn anything new from Ancestry. My original DNA analysis was a bit surprising. Then last month they changed my analysis, which seemed more reasonable.

I decided to put the family tree online because I had a great deal of information and I thought others who were related could learn something or that I would learn something new. However, I'm the only one who can access my family tree and I already know what it is. Should have posted somewhere else where it could be seen. Customer service has been horrible. No answers, no help.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

Fortunately we already had our ancestry 'precisely' established back to 1622 with specific persons, genders and birthdates. Our ancestors were French Huguenots who had to leave France after the first rebellion. It was just to verify the history and hopefully gain some insights into the sketchy past between 1458 and 1622. What I got was 42% Russian and Eastern European and 41% Germanic European. Really? Prior to 1878 my ancestors were in Hungaria and moved to Germany. I buy the 3% other countries, but the results are at least 83% FALSE. Let's see what they come up with for my wife.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ancestry?

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

First of all, as an ** descent, I really just wanted to get an idea of where in Africa I was mostly made up of. Having been here so many generations, I knew the answers would not be cut and dried. There has been too much mixing to expect that. The test results gave me percentages of not only my ** ancestry, but many other regions, including Europe, and following an update to their database, even a little native American. I thought that was cool. But what happened that I did not expect is that I found out, without a doubt, my true paternity and genetic connection to family I thought I would never have the opportunity to know. And even beyond my wildest dreams, I now have a personal relationship with at least some of my family from that side. For me, this site has been wonderful, and worth the price for what I received. I know everyone will not get the same experience, for whatever reason, but again, for me, it has been fantastic.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

They had no problem taking my payment and processing the payment but never gave me my account. They could never find me, but had no issue deducting payment and all this was on one email address. I even sent them proof of payment and still they refused to refund me or acknowledge their computer issue. They actually said they have no record of me being a customer? I am glad I recorded my customer service conversations and saved all the dispute emails. My bank refunded me today and agrees that Ancestry.com is more of a scam than a real service and then I suspect they make their main money off of the wholesale to third parties of DNA and record information.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

My Father doesn't have an ancestry account and doesn't want one. I ordered a DNA test for him with my account. The test seems straightforward enough but to get the test results, he has to sign up for a free trial. If I cancel in two weeks will he even have the test results back or will he have to pay for some months that he doesn't want waiting on the results. Why shouldn't I be able to activate the test for him instead of having to send him an invitation and then he has to deal with it? I have his permission but he's not computer savvy and doesn't want to have to pay anything. I paid for the test. Next time I will order my test from someone else.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Signed up for the trial, hated the site and provided hardly any information. No email or confirmation if I wanted to sign up once the trial was complete, they just deducted my account for $139.99! I hit cancel straight away but it's too late. The worst site and people to deal with. I will let every one of my experience and how I am out of pocket $140! for no information. What a joke this company is!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I am a mixed blood Ojibwa Native American, I absolutely no the blood quantum to be an enrolled member of my tribe, these records are maintained by the BIA.

Ancestry DNA got that totally wrong. I don’t know anything about the rest of my non-Native side of the family. I got a match from my maternal grandmother’s side of family. Sent a message got a nasty reply about I have to fill out a family tree or the woman didn’t care. How can I do that when I only knew my maternal grandmother.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I filed a complaint w/ BBB and Ancestry said they would refund in full. They DID NOT. I offered to return the package they sent, which is on my desk, unopened, at my expense, and still no response or refund as they told BBB they would. They are liars and cannot be trusted and should not be dealt with by the public.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

So, I have always been interested in my ancestry DNA. I know my mother was born and raised in the Netherlands and I know my paternal grandparents were born in Russia and Poland respectively. I also knew I had Jewish in my ancestry, but we consider that religion not ethnicity since some family aren't or do not claim a religion as I don't.

Anyway. I paid the money, anxiously awaited my results and wham I was so beyond pissed off. I was told I was 99% European Jewish and 1% Iberian. There was absolutely no breakdown of what countries my European background was from. I called and the woman said I should be so happy to be 99% Jewish. I said I wasn't because I'm not. So out of that 99% European result, I have no European countries or breakdowns listed. It was such a crock of **. I know for a fact my mother is Dutch, Spanish, French and we are Polish and Russian. Guess what, except for the Spanish I got nothing from what I know for a fact I am. Save your money. I believe, honestly, they just saw my last name and assumed I was Jewish, which is not what they are suppose to do. My cousin has a Spanish last name and she got different results due to her Spanish last name. LIES. ALL LIES!!!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

You cannot click a button and unsubscribe from this site, beware these guys are crooks, do not waste your money. You have to go in circles to get rid of this company, do not give them all your info unless you want 300 million loonies emailing you.

Original review: July 27, 2018

Cancelling your account - is making you jump through the hoops. Click "Cancel Subscription" and it will just spin. NO CUSTOMER SERVICE phone # or email address anywhere on website. You will need to Google it 1-800-262-3787, then you will not be able to talk to a live person, and required to enter last 4 digits of credit card. They should make it as easy to join as to leave, it is a great service however they are very poor servicing their members with billing questions, changes or even "temporarily unable to load" pages.

Original review: July 22, 2018

After watching the MANY commercials on tv, I ordered the kit. The results stated that my ethnicity is 96% Asia East, 4% Polynesia. Suffice it to say that I am obviously Asian. That's it... TOTAL WASTE OF TIME and MONEY for anyone Asian. Don't waste your time here... Buy the 23andMe kit for better results.

Original review: July 20, 2018

I was adopted and wanted to do a DNA test just to see where my ancestors came from. Boy am I sorry! I wasn't interested, and still am not interested, in finding out anything about biological family. I'm over 60 and at this point in life it just doesn't matter. Too bad! They make your information public. I've had people from every continent and many planets email me saying they are my cousin, brother, sister, etc. Crazies is what they are! They all want or need money. Auntie Whomever needs surgery. Cousin Cletus's house burned down. We need money to repair our spaceship to get back to our planet. Right. Called Ancestry and begged them to remove my information. They refuse. I am constantly harassed. I wish I'd never heard of Ancestry. Run before you give them any information.

Original review: July 15, 2018

I wanted to check out ancestry.com at the advise of a friend to help with a family tree. First of all, their website isn't at all user friendly and second, even if you click on Free Trial, they make you enter your credit card and they charge you. I couldn't get much of anything to work and when I tried finding my friend I kept getting the message they weren't recognized although they already had their family tree started. Out of frustration I logged out and didn't log in again until I cancelled my trial subscription less than 7 days later.

I called customer service because online it indicated I wouldn't be refunded. Customer service was rude and pushed back and told me I didn't have a free trial offer even though they advertised it on their page. I was getting no help from her so I told her that their site was horrible and ended up hanging up on her due to my frustration. I do not recommend this company at all and only wish I had read some of these reviews before I tried it. I'm only out $19.99 but it's not the money more than the principle.

Original review: July 11, 2018

Recently every time I log on to do my research, the website is not working or half working. This has been happening since June of this year. I called several times and they indicated the site had a problem but is working. Yes for a couple of days it worked. Since last week I have not been able to save records to my Shoe Box, so I had to log off hoping they would fix the site. Logged the next day. Still not working. Waited a couple of days and attempt to log in today, the page will not even load, or it partially loaded. When I clicked on anything it didn't respond.

I finally called the customer service back and told them I request a refund since their site is not working. Why should we pay for services we are not receiving. I told the customer service representative who indicated their site is having issues which tells me, they are aware of it. At least reimburse customers or credit their account for the number of days the site is not working properly. I'm tired, customer service was a waste of time, she acts like she was clueless about the issue, so I'm gonna cancel my account and use another tree builder like Family Tree. Hopefully, I'll be able to transfer the over 2,000 records. Enough people need to come together and file a Class A lawsuit against Ancestry for this.

Original review: July 6, 2018

Ancestry.com has the worst customer service that I have encountered in a company of its size. On several occasions, I have tried to bring to their attention errors and other deficiencies in their online research process, and each effort has been met with indifference and lack of acknowledgement, much less any effort to correct. The most obvious deficiency I have tried to get Ancestry to correct relates to the U.S. Social Security Death Index.

One item of information contained on that document is the descendant's last place of residence. However, when one selects the Death Index for saving onto a tree, Ancestry transforms one's "last place of residence" to one's "place of death." Obviously, one does not have to die at his last place of residence. And, that error in the process has resulted in millions of incorrect entries onto family trees on Ancestry's website. It is such that one cannot rely upon any previous researchers' entries relating to place of death. And, the place of death can be an extremely important and valuable piece of information to an individual researching his ancestry. But, Ancestry.com will not even acknowledge such deficiency on its part, not to mention make any effort to correct it.

Original review: June 30, 2018

I joined Ancestry after doing a DNA test to find out my heritage. It didn't tell me what I didn't already know. But after spending over $500 between a one year subscription and the DNA test, I found I had to pay for birth certificates, death certificates etc... For Nova Scotia. Half of my family immigrated through Nova Scotia in the early 1700's. Ancestry does not have access to Nova Scotia data so that just cost me even more money. Then I get a 3 month warning saying they are going to bill my renewal. I didn't select auto renew, because I gave myself 1 yr to see how far I got. Then they emailed me to update my credit card info. Which is really weird, because they still just went ahead and charged my card through PayPal I think.

I called and after an hour they issued me a cancellation and said I would be getting a refund because she could see I haven't accessed my info for months. I wasn't happy with their info either. They only link up members who you've already added to your tree. So if you're hoping to find actual DNA relatives, unless you already know who they are, you're not going to get connected to them. So, then what is the point? Not impressed with their service at all. Now to wait for my refund that they said will take up to 7 days. Great! Just as the house payment is due.

Original review: June 4, 2018

When I received an email saying it was done, I opened it only to find my husband's results. Where did mine go? It also had his name at the top of report. I guess I disappeared. Very disappointed. Will try 23andMe.

Original review: June 2, 2018

For a month their website has been having major issues. Promised fix by May 31. June 1st, still not working. Been a paid for subscriber for over 5 years. Horrible customer service, response. "We're sorry you have problems... but we will not issue refund!"

Original review: May 21, 2018

Phone call is not worth it. Only ask for credit card account but my card is already expired. I need to speak with representative and don't have on the system. I did cancel on April 2018 but you charge it through PayPal without notified me in May. I change the setting on pre-approved billing cancellation. I will talk to the bank to delete it. This is bad service for cancellation. I will delete my email on Ancestry and they cannot access with them anymore.

Original review: May 20, 2018

I ordered my DNA test through Ancestry and although it took a while I did receive my results. The problem began when I tried to sign up for the free trial. The site refused to accept any of my credit cards and no, this wasn't a case of my card not having available credit, I have a number of cards all in good standing - SO, I called Ancestry and they told me that "unfortunately" this happens to some customers, not only was I not able to sign up for the trial (or any other account for that matter) the customer service representative wasn't able to manually enter my card number either.

When I asked how to resolve it the answer was... "I HAVE NO IDEA." Seriously? I was given an email address to submit a complaint to and I have but I'm not holding out much hope that there will be a timely resolution. Totally dissatisfied with their service and recommend people consider my experience before purchasing - this could happen to you too. Oh, and one other thing, they said this generally happens to people who attempt to purchase using an Apple device. (Mine was Microsoft) so to you Apple users out there BEWARE!

Original review: May 18, 2018

I bought this for my Mom as a gift using MY PERSONAL credit card, creating a series of auto renewing gouging. My 83 year old mom then lost her sight and cancelled her internet. When I noticed another billing on MY CREDIT CARD, I called and tried to cancel. They said my Mom had to call and cancel. Even though I was the one paying. What if, God forbid, my mom had died? Would I have to cancel my credit card to cut these users off at the source? HORRIBLE 2 day effort to try to cancel. Don't buy as a gift.

Original review: May 14, 2018

DO NOT EVER SIGN UP FOR THE TRIAL PERIOD on Ancestry.com. I immediately cancelled, within the trial period, now they are denying that I ever did that. They have been charging my CC every month since!! Now they are saying today is the first notice they got!! That is BS!!! I am demanding that they refund ALL my money. Am dissing them everywhere I can. Will also complain to the BBB and FTC.

Original review: May 12, 2018

I purchased a kit online. Received an e-mail stating "congratulations" and another one saying that "it is on its way". After two weeks, never I received it. I called them, and after long waits on hold, they wanted to send me another one. After this poor service and reading the horrible reviews for this company, I said, "No, I want a refund." The customer service person said, and then the supervisor that I demanded to speak with said that, "It is our policy to charge you $25 plus postage." I pointed out how unethical it was to charge me for a kit that never got sent. Eventually the supervisor refunded my money. So be assertive if you have to, or better yet, use another company like 23andMe. Ancestry.com is scamming people.

Original review: May 11, 2018

The DNA story provided by Ancestry.com is of limited value. It shows me what my DNA is made up of from a general geographic area of the world. That's it! That geo map showing migration patterns over the last 300 years tells me nothing of value. Essentially all it says is that sometime over the last 300 years some people migrated from some parts of Europe to someplace east of the Mississippi River and then some of those people started moving to other places in the USA. That ultra generic kind of info is available free of charge from any library as well as the internet.

I bought their DNA service believing it would tell me something specific about me. NO! And their search engine is also of zero value. I entered very specific and accurate info about my own mother to search birth and death records and it found NOTHING. On a scale of 1 - 100, with 100 being perfect, I would rate this site maybe 3 tops. My advice is don't waste your money. I certainly wasted mine.

Original review: May 4, 2018

I recommend that you don't sign up with these cheaters. I signed up for the free account and forgot to cancel within the time frame. They charged my account $20. I was okay with that because NOT canceling in time was my fault. But then I canceled a few days after the date. These jerks took money out of my account again, claiming my account was not canceled. Don't trust these cheaters!

Original review: May 1, 2018

I cancelled my subscription online to Ancestry on January 22, 2018. I pay my credit card online so I don't always closely review the charges; however, I was checking closely my April statement where I saw the charge to Ancestry. This caused me to review my February and March statements which showed I was charged those months also. When I contacted Ancestry my account clearly showed that it had not been accessed since January 22, the day I cancelled. They approved a refund which I assumed would be for all three months.

On April 24 I received a credit for 1 subscription month. I called customer service 5/1/2018 and after an extremely long hold time I was informed that it was my fault for not checking my card sooner. Be sure if you are cancelling your subscription that you do not do it online. Call the customer service number even though the wait time is extremely long. That is the only way you can be assured of the cancellation process. I will never recommend Ancestry to anyone.

Ancestry expert review by Jami Barnett, Ph.D.

Ancestry launched Ancestry.com in 1997 and started doing DNA tests in 2002. Now, it offers subscriptions to a database of genealogy records and DNA testing for a genetic ancestry information. Subscriptions start at $19.99 per month, and DNA testing costs $99.

• Historical records: Ancestry subscriptions let you access many databases to learn about your family’s history and potential ancestors. All memberships provide access to U.S.census records, birth certificates, marriage licenses and death certificates. Some subscriptions also include records from the United Kingdom dating back to the 16th century.

• DNA testing: Ancestry uses microarray-based autosomal DNA testing, which looks at your entire genome at over 700,000 locations. You don’t need an Ancestry membership to get their DNA test. Regardless of whether you have an Ancestry membership, DNA testing costs $99.

• Find relatives: If you link your DNA results to the family tree that you create with your Ancestry membership, you may be able to find people who share an ancestor or DNA with you. To learn about family matches, visit the Support Center on their website.

• Hints: When you make a family tree, Ancestry offers suggestions to help you find additional records and add more people to your tree. These hints will show up as little green leaves, and they help you get a fuller picture of who your relatives are and what your family history is.

• Gift subscription: Ancestry sells gift memberships. They range from $99 to $299 and last either six months or one year. You’ll save 10 percent on the regular price when you buy a gift membership.

• Best for: historians, people doing genealogy research and people looking for genetic information about their ancestry.

Profile picture of Jami Barnett, Ph.D.
Jami Barnett, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Jami Barnett, Ph.D., is an experienced researcher, and she believes consumers have a right to clear and honest information about products. In her role at ConsumerAffairs, she thoroughly researches products and companies by interviewing experts, reviewing research studies, reading governmental regulations and investigating customer service responses. Her work gives consumers the information they need to make smart purchasing decisions.

Ancestry Company Information