Ancestry

Compare Miscellaneous Companies

Research top Miscellaneous Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I purchased two DNA kits in January 2017. One for my son's birthday and one for my 82 year old father's birthday. My son's was sent back and asked to resubmit his saliva. Neither my father or my son have received their information. This is August 1st. It's been months with no information!. Seriously makes me wonder if any of this is legit? Paid money for nothing. Out $200.

I joined Ancestry and was sorely disappointed. Instead of providing me with ancestry information, I had to provide the information. What little information it did provide I already had, or it was just plain incorrect. The misleading commercials on TV about clicking on the little green leaf lead to nowhere. The little green leaves fell from my family tree for sure.

I became a member in 2005 when I ordered my DNA test. I received it but since then my report was lost in a house fire and I would like to order a new one to replace the one that was destroyed in a fire. Seems like no one cares once they get your money. Now they are requesting an Order #. Are you kidding me this was back in 2005. Plus a receipt #. Just be aware of this Ancestry.com. It is not what they promote on TV. My name is Carol ** E-mail address is **. Would like someone at Ancestry to help me with this problem if this company truly cares. Thank you.

I started the free trial to look up my son's father's family. I started the free trial for a week and then got busy with other things. They NEVER sent me an email stating that my free one week trial was over, and charged me $34.95 from July 1-August 1, 2017. I contacted them and have not heard back. It is impossible to get a person on the phone. So, I filed a complaint with PayPal. To date, they have not responded to PayPal's request for information. So, beware of these so called FREE TRIALS.

I have had Ancestry on and off for many years. I had trouble with double accounts that never was resolved. I have requested, I receive my newsletter but havent received one since 2012 this is 2017. I signed up for world which was expensive and their practice of auto renewal with no choice is deceptive. They could notify you of upcoming renewal and give you a choice but it makes more money for them with auto renewal.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ancestry?

Been a member 10 years for lack of an alternative, and for the last few years at highest level. But they have never fixed relationship calculation errors that I have alerted them to multiple times. Are not fixing foundational issues chasing bells & whistles. Their servers seem to crash regularly, making parts of tips or trees unavailable. I suspect they have oversold relative to capacity.

Charge your payment method without authorization. Make it difficult to avoid auto renewal by not taking checks or prepaid cards. And say they remove payment method but do not if making a one time authorization. I have had this happen several times, & I gather I am not alone. They don't moderate trolls, so one basically has to shut off contact internally from everyone. To avoid those outraged by trees that contradict their info. Or those having done little or no work on their own tree who believe they are entitled to full access of your years of research. PS. This after I stated clearly in my profile that I am happy to answer specific questions but don't share my tree. Early adopter on DNA test, but underwhelmed re level of detail. Feels like it doesn't go very far back either. Long waits for customer service which ineffectual & no real follow-up.

I have been an Ancestry subscriber for years and I am finding that their searches are getting more and more tedious and difficult. Currently, once you find a census record for a family (not always easy as transcriptions are not always accurate or, in fairness, possible to be accurate because of bad handwriting on the original images), one can often only link in the person who was the query of the search. Sometimes the transcribers did not associate the names on the census pages with the correct families and it is impossible to do multiple names in the family at one time. I am finding this to be true quite often now.

In the past when this happened, one used to be able to go to the image and link people in from the image, but now I find that once I have linked the first person, I am forced to do tedious searches for all of the other members of the family so that I can link them in. If I try to link a different person from the index on the image, I am only allowed to save the image to my computer which is not what I am trying to do. It used to be that when one went to the index on the image and clicked on a different name, one got an option to link the new person into the tree or save to the computer. This option disappeared a long time ago and I have no idea why!!

I am also finding that I frequently have to go to other places like familysearch.org to find a document because sometimes the options for a census search are not even available when I hit the search button for a person in my tree. Once I input more information for the person, I can usually find the record in hints, but honestly, what is the point in doing the search if I am not even going to have access to the right documents. I am finding these problems to be more and more common. I suppose it may be that their search engines are overworked, but for the price we are paying they should fix the problems. Their search engines used to work much better years ago. I don't feel that I am getting good value for my yearly membership on a World subscription. I am not a novice to this site. I have been using it for years and these searches used to work much better.

Recently, I decided not to renew my subscription and I swear it was often as quick to look the records up on other sites and type in the information into my tree on Ancestry. I really like the linking feature and the fact that so many new British records have been added, but after today's terrible search experiences, I am thinking it is not worth the money. Once I laboriously manage to get the new records linked in that currently only appear to be available on Ancestry, I doubt I will be back. I have several months left on my subscription, so perhaps service will improve, but my experiences over the past couple of years are revealing that the search experience is getting worse and worse!

I use Chrome which I read in someone else's message is the search engine they tell one to use. I also have over 10,000 people in my tree, so suppose that may be a problem. Maybe Ancestry searches don't perform well for people who have trees with a lot of people. Anyway, I have been getting more and more frustrated the past couple of years and at this point think I am getting very bad value for my money. I only resubscribed because they were having a sale when I bought a DNA kit. I will never pay full price to join again!!!

Ancestry.com is an absolute rip off. They take your family photos and sell them to places like Pinterest without contacting the family first. Their DNA testing is another worthless item - vague at most. They also allow other members to pilferage your site, swiping family photos, allowing them to contact you & stir up family crap that happened 80 years ago as to who got great grandma's stuff and who did not. They also allow other members to steal your personal data and post it on their fb pages. If I had to do it all over again I would have never made an ancestry page to begin with. It has caused nothing but grief. Stirred up crap that happened years before & also allows Ancestry.com to cash in on all this stuff by selling it to third party vendors.

I'm an adoptee from birth. I have found out that my birth mother was English but I don't know about my paternal heritage. I ordered the DNA test kit in 02/17, and received it the same month. I followed the instructions and sent the sample in very early March. There hasn't been any response from Ancestry regarding my DNA. I have received multiple advertisements and ''money saving offers''. I haven't gotten any answers when e-mailed about the issue.

I have been a member with Ancestry for approx 25 years before online computer programs. I today went on to my Family Tree program and now it has changed & Ancestry is requiring to upgrade to 2017 without a notice. You pay up to $90 when you buy these programs and I have had mine for 2 years and now I need to upgrade again for approx the same amount? I pay annual dues for their services over $300 yearly and there are still things I can not get. I can't even use my AARP yearly since I used it 1 time.

The DNA is a great option BUT... as a serious Genealogist you find MANY, MANY people due their DNA because the commercials on TV to see where they come from. When these people match you, you email through Ancestry DNA and you never know if they get it because they do NOT have trees online. I wish Ancestry would have their email information on their information so we can contact them directly. I understand possibly some people may not want to be found, but there are other issues involved as well. Have it marked on ALL DNA RESULTS how that person is related, maternal/paternal would also help us with these people.

On the hints, there are many that are 'GREY OUT' and you can't delete them from your hints. They say they have been working on that. It is been a year. Hmmm... how good are their computer techs? Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of good from Ancestry but their customer service hangs up on you, you can't hear them or they don't pick up. I truly recommend you download your RAW DNA from Ancestry and put on a free service GEDMATCH.COM. Very medical but you get people's emails to contact them and you find matches.

Also FAMILYTREEDNA.COM buy their kits and do your DNA with them too. I am just starting to use it, very medical again, but it will pay off. SUGGESTION... use your same login name from Ancestry on these accounts so when people are researching they will remember you from Ancestry and so on. ANCESTRY.COM.. Please make POSITIVE CHANGES with pricing and your staff ASAP. With all the money you are all making, help us continue to help you being richer. Thank you!

I purchased a DNA kit for my mother (who has limited information about her parents or her extended family). We were told by Ancestry she is 65% Western European, 20% Irish, 15% Other (they did then break out some of "Other" into again vague categories like "Italian or Greek", but did not offer any break out on the majority "Western European" category). I could have provided this vague level of information without paying ~$100 based upon the limited family information we already had. Don't waste your money.

I signed up for the 14 day trial and found that it's way too expensive of a membership and it wasn't something I was interested in using enough to validate spending the money. I went online to cancel and lo and behold when you click the reason and then click "done" it takes you to an error page so you are unable to cancel!! I then found the 1-800 number and waited on hold 20 min on a Saturday morning because they had high call volume!! What a joke!!

Finally a representative came online and after informing her I wanted to cancel she of course tries to talk me out of it. I let her know that I tried the website and she tells me that the Safari engine I used is not compatible with Ancestry and I can only use Google chrome. That's absolutely ridiculous. Any search engine should be sufficient with wanting to cancel a membership!! I was able to cancel my membership and received the confirmation email, but I'm not very confident that they won't end up charging me anyway based on other reviews I've read. Shame on you Ancestry!! I may have considered staying if your rates weren't so high or you didn't make this experience so horrible!!

I paid my money in August and they advised me last week 10 months later that they needed a new sample and I was to pay the fee again... I tried to contact them and they simply gave me the runaround. I would suggest that you try someone else if you wish this service as I was scammed.

I missed a sale by a few days and asked for a price adjust which would have saved me $40. They said no. I asked if I could return it and rebuy at the sale price and they said they would charge me a $25 restocking fee, plus the $10 for the shipping again ($35) plus the shipping to return it back ($45). So I would actually lose money that way. Poor customer service!! I always grant my customers price adjusts if they notice they booked a service just before a deal and missed out. Would have been nice to see this business extend the same courtesy.

A few months ago, I had my DNA done by Ancestry. Unknown to me, they started charging me for a subscription that I did not order. When I requested cancellation and a refund, they refused to allow the refund but said they would cancel the subscription. I feel that I have been scammed by them.

Paid them $2500 to help us find my husband's bio dad. Said we could cancel our search at any time just by calling. Well...we did call, several times to cancel. And as of today, still haven't received any refund at all. Very frustrated!!!

If you're a European Jewish person don't bother submitting your DNA. I did and all they told me was that I was a European Jew. They could not tell me any specific country I was from. My map showed from Germany on east. A waste of money.

I request for my DNA to be mailed to me as an official doc. I was told they don't mail DNA. I can't print because the entire info. will not print not even the origin map. I paid 100 bucks and waited 8wks and you can't mail my results. What a rip-off Ancestry is.

I wanted to cancel my account on Ancestry. I went to their website, logged in and went to my account. The link to cancel the account was missing. According to Ancestry if the link is missing then the account doesn't exist! If the account doesn't exist why are they billing me every month? After waiting over 5 minutes to speak with a representative I was offered the previous month’s payment of 19.99 when the charges had accumulated to over 200.00. They will never have me or any of my friends and relatives sign up with them.

I went through the cancellation process on ancestry.com and believed my account was deactivated only find out I was being charged for a monthly subscription. Upon calling customer service they insisted if the cancellation was successful I should have a confirmation email from them but I did not receive one. I am very computer savvy and have used the internet since it was in its infancy and feel confident that the cancellation process was misleading. Beware if you want to cancel your subscription.

I had a wonderful experience with the website. I have only used the Ancestry.com website for online research purposes to discover the origins of my immediate family members. I liked the idea of finding out where my close relatives were really from. Their countries of origin were sometimes different from what I had originally thought, or what I had been told by other members of my family. However, I did not like the prices for the monthly membership fees. I was eventually forced to stop researching my family heritage because it became too expensive. I really would have liked to continue with my research. Moreover, I have not used the Ancestry DNA service because it is definitely too expensive for me to afford.

The information I received was accurate and the price for the information was reasonable. I was able to go back 5 generations before I received enough information. I could have continued back further if I had wanted. I have shared the information with my son because I think it is important for him to know his heritage. We have built a family tree going back 5 generations. By receiving my "tree" I know what my heritage is. I like that the response time was reasonable and the pricing was within the range I was comfortable with. But I would like to pay less for more. You have to continue paying if you want more information. A flat fee would be better but then you would run the risk of receiving false or misleading information. But I was satisfied with services rendered.

I use ancestry.com when I am filling out my family. It was a wonderful experience. Hope to join again. I like the way they can fill in family from the wide information they have. When they put the leaf you know there is more to come. It has been amazing. I have been able to connect to other family members in other parts of the country and find other ways of doing research for my family. I wish I had more time to work on it. I use it when I have extra time. I need to get back to it soon. I need to put more family and pictures in. I haven't seen anything I dislike. If there was anything at all it would be when my membership lapses that when you go back you have to start over.

I signed up for a product costing $299 per year. They charged me monthly at $38.10, which is $457 per year. When I called to complain, I'm told I need to email a special department to get my refund. I email that department every few days. No response yet and it's been a month. They are a FRAUD.

I used Ancestry.com briefly many years ago doing genealogical research because I was given a free 30 day trial. I actually did most of my research by visiting the LDS church in Salt Lake City, and Federal archives (microfilm) in my area. Ancestry.com did not really provide much information for me that I did not already have from my research. For the beginning researcher it provided some good background information on family history, regional history, that kind of thing. I recall the interface being easy, and it was fun, like opening a big box filled with unknown treasures. It had access (at that time) to some of the census rolls, which was great info that I normally had to struggle with, and also some ship rolls as well, although I don't think I found the information on the main immigrant ship that I was seeking.

When I used it, it was not as in depth as I would have liked it to be, but I think it is good for most researchers. It definitely is a time saver, especially for those who are starting out in their research. I had a trial a very long time ago, about the time it came out. I did build a family tree but had already done so from my previous research. I did not use the AncestryDNA as that is a newer creation, but my uncle did so. He discovered that in some distant past we had Native American blood in our veins -- which was not reflected on the official family tree. Kind of cool, that. I would like to do the AncestryDNA now that the science is better, and hope to do so before much longer.

I used Ancestry.com to find out if the information I had from a previous genealogy was correct. It was fairly easy to navigate and resulted very revelating information. The specific things I liked about Ancestry.com were: how fast the response time was & the information the utility gathered. There was only a couple of small things that I didn't like about Ancestry.com. First, the "registration" process was a very time consuming process. But although the sign up process took longer than finding my family tree, it was a relatively user friendly experience. Second was the fact that you could only get so much information as a guest and you had to pay to get the rest of the information, but I understand why it's set up that way. I only used it the one time, but it did help to validate the information I'd already acquired. It was overall a very positive experience and one I would recommend to family & friends. I would definitely use it again.

My husband got me the Ancestry DNA kit for Christmas 2016, which he gave me earlier and we mailed in on December 22, 2016. We waited six weeks and then received an email that they could not get my DNA. They sent another kit which I followed the instruction and sent my sputum in again. Six weeks later again, they could not get my DNA. My husband called in looking to see if we could get a refund but they refused to refund us our money. Instead, they are mailing us yet another kit.

I used Ancestry to build a family tree and it took several months. The tree is now public and I have received many comments and additions. Sharing the tree has proven useful. Also useful is the fact that, once on the Web, others may suggest changes. I also found the hints very useful and I still look at them even though my subscription has expired. The hints that arrive later on are also valuable, but I cannot click on them without paying. I wish the subscription was less expensive. It was $99 for a year. I'm on a fixed income, so this is hard to do after building the initial tree. I recommend it for building a tree, not for continued maintenance.

I had some success with Ancestry. I was able to make a good family tree, mostly with information I already had. I only discovered one of two ancestors that I didn't already know about. I like the links to documents where I see proof of what my ancestors did what like ship passenger records, traveling to and from Europe, birth and death records, military service, etc. The leaves to click on are helpful for finding possible matches to my ancestors. However, it is difficult to determine if someone is actually related to me in many cases. Many of the people are misspelled. But the US Census documents can sometimes help to link people together.

I like just how much ancestry.com knew about my family tree. I had heard from friends the amount of knowledge the site had. Amazingly I learned about my family tree dating back till the 1880s. This impressed me more than anything. I would recommend this to all my friends and will. It was informative but it took some time to get it figured out. But after digging into the formats it became simpler. I really like all the the suggestions it provided me for my searches into my relatives. I simply type in a name and the site pulls up possible recommendations. Of course I needed to weed them out one by one, and it's very time-consuming deciding who was related to me or not. I had to do other research to make sure the suggestions the site recommended to me in fact were my relatives. Some were and others were not. I did find it enjoyable. I could have used the DNA option but found it a little pricey.

Ancestry Company Profile