U-Haul Storage

U-Haul Storage

3.8/5 (255 ratings)

About U-Haul Storage

U-Haul is well known for supplying truck rentals and packing supplies to do-it-yourself movers across the nation. U-Haul advertises trucks for $19.95 per day for local moves, but long-distance moves costs significantly more. Additional charges include fuel, damage protection and environmental fees. Even with these expenses, U-Haul can be a budget-friendly option.

U-Haul Storage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul Storage?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

U-Haul Storage/U-Box was very affordable, extremely convenient and exceeded expectations. I called the company and advised them that I was in need of a storage solution. The company then replied the size of the storage unit (approximately a room and a half) & asked me would I come get it or did I need it delivered. They also asked if I would be packing it myself or needed their assistance. I advised I would be packing it myself. I was then asked to schedule a pick-up time & they picked it up during the time they said they would.

I liked the fact that they would deliver & come pick up the storage unit as well as your belongings. However there were a few less-than-friendly employees there but unfortunately that's just the character flaws of some people in my hometown. The actual office that was called was great but the guys who delivered? Not so much. Other than that the experience with U-Haul Storage/U-Box was extremely positive. I got what I paid for and was able to get it set up and running quickly. It was a very easy & seamless process & I would use it again.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2017

When I first contacted them, they were professional, they offered plenty of knowledge, they had local resource for me. I spoke to a very kind receptionist who walked me through everything that I needed to do. This was my first time using such a service and she was such a great help for me and made the process so seamless. They were also able to be available for me when I needed them and in the time frame that I needed them. They offered competitive rates, warranties and insurance that was far better than that of any competitor, they went out of their way to make me feel important. I can't say enough about how grateful I am that they were available with helping out my family and myself. They could not have been a better help than they were. I wish that there were more companies out there that are just as available out there for other people to be able to use. I will definitely use this same company if I ever need these types of services again.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

I needed a storage unit to store some personal items that I was not wanting to move from my old home to my new one. I didn't really want to throw them out either. So I went online to research the best option and found U-Haul. Went to the location and rented a unit and stored my things.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2017

I looked U-Haul Storage up through their website and also spoke to a representative on the phone. I found good information on the website and the phone rep helped walk me through. It was a good experience. I received good customer service and it was easy to set up. This was the first time I had looked into this type of service and I was a little confused about it the beginning. I have used some U-Haul locations in smaller towns and you never really know what to expect but this customer service was more professional. I would consider using them again in the future for my storage needs when my children move in and out for college.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2017

I ordered a truck online, used U-Haul Storage's truck size examples to find the right size I would need. Set up pick up time and drop off time and went to get it. I got to the place and my truck was ready with gas in it and had no complications. The staff was friendly and accommodating. I like that it's pretty easy to setup, order online and pickup. They have an online truck size chart that is helpful when trying to figure out what size you need so you do not have to make a bunch of trips back and forth. However, there are extra charges for everything. Also, some of the trucks just seem old and hard to drive or wore down. But for the most part U-Haul Storage is fine.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

I called U-Haul Storage about what the processes was that I would have to go through to use their services. They went over the different sizes and types of storage that they had available at the time for me to use. I then narrowed down the choices based on the number of my belongings that I would need to store and the amount I was willing to pay for a particular container. Then after that I personally visited the facility and after thoroughly inspecting the containers I then made my selection.

It was easy to use this service and U-Haul Storage was very convenient for my needs at that particular point and time. The customer service was very nice when I talked to them and they were helpful and they got me the right sized container that I needed for my belongings. I felt welcomed by the staff. The facility was clean and it was very organized as well. I liked the wide selection of storage containers and the sizes were acceptable considering the portable nature of the containers available. It was a very good and very helpful experience.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

I was moving out of an apartment to another one. It was in the same city, pretty much a couple miles away from where I was living. So I had all my belongings already packed up in boxes. I had a delightful experience with Uhaul. There was no problems. And we even returned the large, spacious truck an hour late and there was no complaints from the employees. The truck was a decent size for the price. It was rather cheap and I got to do what I wanted to do with it. I believe other companies would have charged more for the hours we had it, but not Uhaul. I wish customer service was better though. They were a little sloppy, and it would have been nice for a water or something.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2017

I needed to pack and move in a hurry to go home to take care of my elderly Mother. I was able to order a unit and had it within 48 hours. I was glad to ship everything as soon as I was packed and store my belongings in a local storage building until I was ready to have the unit brought home. I was happy that I did not need to rent a U Haul truck and have my brother drive the load to my Mother's town and find a storage unit in a new town that I was not familiar with.

Staff were kind and helpful. I had a lot of questions that needed to be answered before I decided to use the service. We had the pod delivered to the address we requested and got email confirmations for dates and times. We were able to pay for it over the phone and got the payment confirmation too. The price is higher than I like though. I had the unit delivered and kept it on my driveway for several days. It created a lot of conversation with curious neighbors who wanted it to be moved as soon as possible. Otherwise the unit was very useful, I could lock it up at night with no worries.

Original review: July 25, 2017

Clean facility, no hassle sign up or monthly pay, low rates. My only complaint is that I believe someone kept trying to get into my unit. Definite proof after changing the locks, one with a key, the other a code word. Still, with my own locks, I'd recommend this facility.

Original review: July 21, 2017

I rented a truck and it did not take much time to do paperwork and be on my way to move. It was very helpful and easy. I also bought boxes to pack my belongings into. The company had all I needed. I really like being in and out with all the items I needed to make my move fast. The customer service was very polite and ready to help me with my needs. I also liked the gas tank was full upon pick up of vehicle. It was very convenient to go pick up and also to drop off. I liked how fast it was to pick up truck with hardly any notice to company (U-Haul). And the vehicle was very clean, but the driver's cab had a weird smell in it. Also, there was no coffee when I went in to get my truck and boxes. Coffee and doughnuts would be nice with all the money the rental ended up costing me. The cost was kinda high to rent a truck for half a day.

Original review: July 21, 2017

U-Haul was recommend just because it was the closest thing to me. But the process took a long time. When I went to go do it their computers were down so I had to wait the next day. However, it was the weekend so I had to way 4 days to get anything done. Also, it was pretty basic and I feel like I paid way too much for what was provided. There was also way too many mess ups and took way too much of my time. It seemed like nothing went right. The people that worked there weren't too friendly either. Won't use again.

Original review: July 20, 2017

I choose U-Haul because it is a known company with a good reputation. But the initial person that I dealt with was not personable. Her responses and info that was given to me was either short and misunderstood or she did not have an answer. It seemed as if she was not knowledgeable about her job and did not have enough training. Or it could have been that she just was not happy with her job. If I didn't need the services asap I would have explored other options. But customer service was nice to deal with and all of employees were helpful.

It was convenient for my needs and easy once the long process of explaining was over. I didn't have to purchase boxes, locks, packing paper, hand trucks and blankets. Everything is provided ny the company. I also used my debit card for automatic draft and did not to worry about a monthly bill or making sure I didn't forget to pay it. However I was charged fees that I was unaware of or was not brought to my attention and I was not happy about that. Otherwise I was pleased with the others and U-Haul was an OK experience. Everything an individual may need, U-Haul provides.

Original review: July 17, 2017

The whole experience was amazing! I was able to take care of delivery, pickup and storage all on my phone. Great customer service and friendly staff. They were very helpful and courteous to deal with. They were also fast and convenient. I had researched several companies in my area, and their prices were by far the best. Very affordable. I've recommended many of my friends and family to use U-Box for their shipping and storage needs and they were also very satisfied. A great service!

Original review: July 16, 2017

The customer service at U-Haul seemed to quite enjoy working for the company and are therefore exceptionally helpful to work with. So that was a delightful thing to experience. Basically, I picked up the truck then drove it to my home. When I arrived I forced my children to load everything into the vehicle. I only wanted to make one trip. Then we drove, arrived and unpacked. However, I didn't like that I had to drive it myself, especially when I am not licensed or practiced to drive large vehicles. It was a fairly terrifying experience, careening down the freeway. But the fun factoids on the sides of U-Haul's trucks are always a delight to read, so having the privilege of driving one was rather a delight as well. Overall it was quite a lovely experience.

Original review: July 15, 2017

I always use U-Haul for all my moving needs and I was really satisfied with the service. The staff was very helpful and the customer service was excellent. They knew their stuff and cared for me the customer, a very nice feeling. The people you have working at this location were tremendous. Manager went way out of his way to make sure I was accommodated. They handled everything in a very professional way. No pressure or delays. Everything was in order, moved easily and fast. It was a great experience that went well above my expectations. Would use them again.

Original review: July 14, 2017

We liked that U-Haul locations are easy to find, and that they are one of the best known names in moving and storage. It made the hassle of packing up our home very very easy. But the sign in process was a bit of a hassle. We had registered online and when we went in to the store, they could not find our info. However, once they figured it out, it was easy. Other than the mix-up at the beginning, combined with the higher prices, we did not find other things we were unhappy with. We would use them again in a heartbeat. We were able to select everything online to start with. Then we were able to pick it all up, get everything packed, and moved into storage before we left for Europe.

Original review: July 14, 2017

I like that it is a recognized name and the prices are competitive. Knowledgeable people that make your things seem important to them, I like how my things were secure and stored properly... Experience was very good and would use again, everything was clear, up front and as advertised. Overall process was fast, easy and pleasant, and what I imagined.

Original review: July 13, 2017

My experience with U-Haul was good. It wasn't spectacular however it met my needs. I was moving into a new house and I had to store all my belongings and the belongings of my family. I was treated respectfully, the prices were decent and I had no problems with them. I first checked out their website and compared rates with other companies. From there, after deciding I thought that they were the best fit for my needs and at the right price, I called them. This was my first encounter with their customer service and my initial impression of them was great! I spoke with a gentleman who was polite, courteous, and well mannered. He was extremely professional and very knowledgeable as well. He walked me through the storage sizes and prices as well as any deals that they offered. Also, he answered all of my questions clearly and thoroughly.

The customer service was especially good. It was a very positive experience dealing with the U-Haul people in the storage offices. They were helpful and friendly. They were eager to help and they always made sure that my needs were met. Also, I was continually asked if there was anything else that they could do, that they could help me with. I enjoyed dealing with and communicating with these people. It was a very positive experience and everything was good for me whilst dealing with U-Haul Storage. It was not the cheapest storage I had found though. In comparison to the other companies I had checked out, their prices were average although I did find some others cheaper.

Original review: July 13, 2017

The process was very simple and easy. I went in and requested a storage unit and they had one available for me. I wrote down all my information. And I was given a key to my storage unit. All of my belongings were stored well. The storage units were spacious and fit all my belongings. They were the perfect size. And the customer service was good, very friendly and helpful. It was also easy to go into my storage unit whenever I needed to get something out of there. My belongings always felt safe and secure. I liked everything. The whole experience was good and everything was really easy.

Original review: July 12, 2017

I shopped around and read reviews. It was easy to sign up for renting the unit. I liked using their website... It was easy and user-friendly. The staff on site was helpful and friendly. They were also very upfront about potential charges. The experience was exactly what I expected it would be. Everything was very easy from my online search to my in-store experience. I found the cost and unit size was very reasonable and competitive compared to other locations. There were plenty of locations nearby so I could select a place that was best for me. Overall, I liked my experience for U-Haul and it was enjoyable. It was very convenient for a move and the storage worked for the short time I needed it.

Original review: July 11, 2017

I rented a truck to move my drum set across Chicago. It was quick and easy service. Everything went smooth, I liked everything. I maybe had to fill up the truck with gas but I hope it takes diesel, if not oh well. All the workers were amazing, the only downside was the wait, but it can be avoid. I came at a busy time but they were able to move the lines fast. They were able to pack my 9 piece drum set for transfer without any damages. It was worth every single penny I paid for because jamming out on my drums made my day! 10/10 would rent again.

Original review: July 10, 2017

It was kind a hectic situation. We were making a move from Michigan to Florida, and the SAME DAY we got the unit to start packing, my father had a massive heart attack. We had already signed our 'contract', but we needed to get to Connecticut ASAP! We tried pleading our situation to the company, but to no avail... we were 'locked in' to our contract. We packed the unit as quick as possible (because of this, many items and valuables came loose in the back, and were broke beyond repair... we lost a lot.

That was NOTHING though. We left Michigan the very next morning, traveled straight through, no over night stops... it was a mess! We then needed to UNPACK just as quick, and I was heart broke to see that much of my antique glassware was shattered, along with many knick-knack type items (some I had from childhood).

So now, we get one night of 'rest' (which was NOT very restful) and had to return the unit the following morning, and then straight from Florida to Connecticut, because my father in law was not expected to make it. We drove straight through, once again, but we were too late... he passed in the middle of that night. The entire family (although we explained our situation thoroughly, about having to return the unit within a certain period of time) they did not understand, and to this day, do not talk to us. My husband was/is heart broke over the entire situation. If the company had just been a bit more UNDERSTANDING, and allowed us a few more days to return the unit, my husband would have been there to say goodbye to his dad.

It was one of the WORST experiences I have had to deal with, with a company. I thought it was a greedy, unreasonable way for them to handle a situation that was completely out of our control. Just talking about it still upsets me... as I said, some of the family will have nothing to do with us. They think we 'lied' because SURELY a company would more helpful under an emergency... but, they were not. :/

After 'all' we were put through - the RUSHING, the PACKING/UNPACKING, the BROKEN VALUABLES... no, I have no good memories of that incident at all. With all the $ they make, I just thought they could AT LEAST give us a discounted price, so we could AFFORD a couple 'well needed' extra days. As it was, we were flat broke, and borrowed the $ to 'see' my father in law, which was all in vain. I will never forget how hard my husband cried, his Mum wouldn't even talk to him. He is a BIG 'TOUGH' MARINE, but that day, he cried like I have NEVER HEARD 'ANY' MAN CRY. It was a disaster. Their greediness, which led to all our other problems during that move. I won't say I BLAME them... but, they did start what ended up a domino affect.

As far as their rules, pricing and convenience, I must say, they were a good choice. I just wish they could have been more understanding. I wrote them a letter after, along with my father in law's obituary, showing them how wrong they were in their decision to not give us even a small break. I figured, if nothing else, at least it MAY help the next person.

Original review: July 9, 2017

We were in-between houses and needed temporary storage. We initially looked online to see what was available to us. Then we called U-Haul Storage with a couple of additional questions as to how we would be able to get the unit and what the inside would be like. They were very helpful in giving us all the information that we needed. We like that it was in a great location and it was easy access to get in and out. It was very convenient for us in the process of our move. The storage unit was easy to use and set up. They were clean and spacious. It was in great condition and helped us to stay organized. With the unit that we had, sometimes the door would jam. We were able to lift it when pulling it open which had helped. It wasn't much of a problem in the long run. It was a great experience.

Original review: July 9, 2017

I have used the products and services of UHaul in the past so I was somewhat familiar with this specific location and the various services they provide. So I was expecting them to perform and deliver to expectations. Very easy to make arrangements and schedule the delivery, use and pickup of the storage unit. It is always a hassle free experience working with U-Haul - I have used them for various projects several times over the last 15 years and intend to use them again when the need arises. Location is well placed from our residence and easy to access. Facility was well organized and clean.

All of the UHaul associates and service personnel were friendly, engaging, professional and courteous and helpful. They have a great inventory of sizes and contracts available. Selection of the different sizes and styles available make it easy to choose the optimal storage container/vessel for our needs. UHaul store also offers padding. Overall a most positive experience and one I have recommended to family and friends. Good service for a fair price.

Original review: July 8, 2017

Signing up and turning back in was not complicated. The website was intuitive as well, and I was able to do all of it on my own, in regards to set up. I also liked how easy it was to set up/use. I was able to store everything that I needed. The employees were quite nice and polite as well. I was in and out in very little time. It was pretty expensive, in my opinion, but there weren't any other options available. I really wanted PODS; however, they were not available in my region. When I was done, I went and talked to someone and ended the contract.

Original review: July 7, 2017

Moving across the country and U-Haul Storage gave me the estimate of 2500 which was a decent price compared to all the others companies. But what was not written, was that they also charged for the mileage. It was still cheap, but would of wished all the price told. The prices was good. A lot cheaper than others, but I guess that makes up for the lack of customer service. Even with reservation one should double check to make sure it's still available. The Ubox was a cheap plywood box nailed to the pallet that is tossed around by a forklift. Luckly I didn't put any fragile items in the U-Box. But the price I look up suddenly jump a few hundred after a few months. Maybe it was a promotion price when I first looked it up. Overall, the process of the move was smooth for the price I paid. It was delivered on time and everything was intact luckily even though the U-Box was flimsy looking. It did the trick.

Original review: July 6, 2017

I was extremely pleased, especially since I had to reschedule at the last minute and U-Haul Storage accommodated me in all of the things that I needed at the time of service and even before, while I was setting up my storage. They are extremely helpful and polite. I liked all of the reps and they were honest and straightforward even when they didn't have the box size I needed. They assisted in getting one larger for the same price. It was cool... They also helped set up all of the paperwork, kept me in the loop and even helped me move some stuff, and the guy was happy to assist even when the weather wasn't very nice.

Original review: July 5, 2017

They have very good, kind people that took their job very seriously. And have helped answer all my questions. Very professional. Handle all my problems quickly, efficiently and effectively. Everything seemed to go just fine. The people were courteous, helpful and knowledgeable. The company was very organized and achieved my satisfaction. I would use this company over and over again. They are the new company my company will use in the future.

Original review: July 3, 2017

The whole experience was excellent and I would do it again, any day. Very much so. The company was great. They provided excellent service and good prices, with no trouble at all. The whole ordeal was memorable and very eye opening for all. The prices were great and how available certain trucks were and easy to return. Everything worked out just as I expected. Quick, easy, and friendly people. They provided the exact truck I needed and anything additional was offered, if needed. As a whole, I had no issues or problems doing business with these people. This company has a great reputation and knows how to run a business.

Original review: July 2, 2017

U-Haul took a little longer than they said and they were giving me ** excuses every time I called them for an update on what the hell is going on. This is the sorriest customer service department of all time. These morons tried to rip off my grandfather!!! Piece of crap! The entire crew I talked to were morons. I will never use this particular company ever again. They suck royally!!! Shopped around for the best deal to move stuff from California to Texas. Got hosed!

U-Haul Storage Company Information