U-Haul Storage

U-Haul Storage

3.8/5 (255 ratings)

About U-Haul Storage

U-Haul is well known for supplying truck rentals and packing supplies to do-it-yourself movers across the nation. U-Haul advertises trucks for $19.95 per day for local moves, but long-distance moves costs significantly more. Additional charges include fuel, damage protection and environmental fees. Even with these expenses, U-Haul can be a budget-friendly option.

U-Haul Storage Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul Storage?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

If you go to rent any U-Haul product from this Valero station after you read this and the other poor reviews in Yelp and Google for this location you are crazy! Don't go there if you want to be treated with any respect or as you would expect. Here is my story. I made the reservation for a 6'x12' cargo trailer online, no problem. The next day I wanted to change to an earlier pick-up time. I called the local number and after many rings it transferred to the U-Haul national line. They told me they pick up the call after so many rings to the local number. No problem, I was able to change my pick-up time. I even received a call 24-hours ahead confirming the new time.

When I went to this Valero station to pick up my trailer, it was a completely different experience. There was a middle eastern younger guy who was in the store when I arrived. He said nothing when our eyes met. When I asked where I needed to go to pick up my trailer, he pointed to the counter. He asked for my DL, which I gave him. He started his work on the computer. I tried to ask him a couple confirming questions and he ignored me even though he was only three-feet away facing me. I gave him my CC, he charged me. No problem. Then he told me where the trailer was located. Said to be sure that when I returned it to put it into the exact same location not blocking anything even a little bit or he would charge me $25 fee on my credit card. I said as long as someone told me where to park it, it would be done correctly.

Then he asked if I knew how to hook up the trailer. I said "no" and that he should be responsible for that to be sure it was done correctly and safely. He said, "I'm not hooking up any ** trailer because it would throw out his back." He is in his 20's and I am 64 years old. I told him I wasn't going to hook it up either. He went to his computer and began to cancel my rental saying he was going to send to another location that was 5 miles away. I said I didn't have time to go to another damn location and that he/U-Haul needs to hook it up. Again, he replied with, "no way he was going to hook up my ** trailer." So I offered, "How about if we go out together and hook up the trailer." He agreed.

Walking out I mentioned to him that I understood now why his customer reviews online only rated 3-stars due to his attitude and customer service skills. He really got angry and screamed at me that he "didn't care one ** thing about customer ratings" and he told me to get the ** of his premises. I said, "Let me just get the trailer and be on my way." Once we got out there, he lifted up the tongue and set it on my trailer ball, hooked up the chains, etc., very easily. When it came to hooking up the lights my Toyota 4Runner has only a round trailer light connector. The trailer had the 5-pin style all in line. He told me I would have to go the Walmart and buy a pigtail cable converter. This man never offered to rent or sell me one. Obviously they don't keep any around. I'm sure my vehicle is not the only one they have hooked a trailer to that requires this additional part. I was not happy and I showed it. He told me to leave the "** premises" again.

I agreed. He unhooked the trailer, again lifting it off and down with no problem. We went inside where I had to ask forcefully to him to run a refund and give me a receipt. I had to yell at him to sign the receipt, which he did with just a couple marks on the paper saying all the time to me in broken English that, "I was ** and to get the ** out." End of story, he used the "f" word several more times screaming at the top of his lungs. I of course called U-Haul and have filed a formal complaint against this guy and location. U-Haul is great. I've rented from them before many times with no problems. Don't use this location! They do not deserve to show the U-Haul sign. By the way it forced me to choose 1-star to post this. Clearly they deserve none and no future business.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

I made a reservation two weeks in advance for a large moving truck with a car trailer for my interstate move. I called prior to my move 3 times to find out what town I would need to pick up my equipment in and to inform the customer service department of my preferred area. The DAY before my move I am informed that my equipment is 58 miles and the only closer facility would be 38 but the car trailer would be another 30 from me. Two separate locations! Perhaps they should schedule their equipment with some extra time so if they screw up they can fix it. I cancelled my reservation and hired a company that could accommodate and had the equipment in one location.

Original review: March 1, 2018

I found U-Haul in Venice, FL to be professional, knowledgeable and supportive. I absolutely would use the company again especially for its boxes. I have a friend who will be moving in a couple of weeks so I'll research and compare them to other businesses in the area for the "best deal."

Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

First, somehow my payment date was changed, but I was on automatic payments so I didn't realize this until they locked me out of my storage for acquiring late fees EVERY MONTH even though I was paying EVERY MONTH! When I realized this, and spoke to them, they wouldn't credit me for all the late payment charges, even though I was paying every month. Then, I go by 4 days after I pay off my past due balance, and I am still locked out of my unit! So I go to tell them, and after waiting around for 30 minutes, they were still too busy to remove their padlock so I could access my (paid up to date) unit! Fine, I will just come back next weekend.

Came back tonight to find out that I haven't paid extra to get 24 hour access TO MY STUFF! So I get there at 6:45, and have to talk to the office once again to have them correct my account, and by the time that's done I go to grab ONE load of boxes out of my unit, and the guy tell me it's too late and I need to leave. Oh, and last but not least, there was a giant cockroach just hanging out in my indoor, climate controlled unit!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

My recent U-Haul experience was a nightmare. First of all, I rented a 15' truck for my move 6 weeks prior to my move and when I called to confirm was told that the truck I ordered wasn't going to be available at the time I requested (8 am) but at 11 am and this was not guarantee but only an estimate, or at the location I requested but rather at a location 40 minutes away from the original location. I was on the phone with U-HAUL for 3 hours to resolve this issue. 3 hours that I really didn't have the day before my move. I was eventually able to resolve this issue and the truck I rented was not available at the location I requested, at a time close to the time I requested (9 am).

Now, enter the storage unit rental experience. I originally rented a drive-in storage unit in Chicopee., six weeks prior to my move. As I was living on the cape, I arranged this over the phone and with the help of a staff member who assisted me in choosing a drive up unit that he told me should accommodate my two bedroom apartment. (Confirmation # **) When I arrived it was clear that there was no way my belongings would ever fit in this unit. They offered to rent me (at my expense) two small units but the contents of my two bedroom house would never have fit in this. These units are way too small. My movers stated clearly that my furniture would not fit in these units.

They called the Holyoke facility and I rented a very large drive up unit there. Confirmation # **. When I arrived, I waited for half an hour to be served while my movers waited as well. I was then told, after quite some time, as evidently there was a new computer system and new staff, that this unit was actually not available and they had no drive in units. I should have just left at this point. Unfortunately, I stayed. It then took them over an hour to locate a unit for me. This involved bumbling around in the warehouse as evidently there was a new computer system involving lock keys not working and so we were struggling to get in doors and up the elevator. We finally secure a unit and they can't get my key card to work (NOT EVER!).

To this day I still don't have a key card to get into this building or to get up the elevator. We didn't begin moving things up until after we had been at this location for two hours. Then we had to ask staff to assist us each time we moved a load precariously balanced on a cart, up the elevator and this was beyond frustrating as they had numerous other victims to not help that day.

Also, we had items that fell off the carts as we were wheeling them into the elevator as you had to go over this serious bump as you entered and items were falling off the cart and breaking. I, and my movers were there from 2:30 PM until 6 PM!!! And now my belongings are very inconveniently located on the fourth floor of that bloody building that I can't even get into. For me to get my stuff out it will take hours again!! I am so unhappy and frustrated and broke. I am a great planner and this was a total disaster. I went with U-HAUL as I thought that they were a trusted name and I didn't want to leave my move to just any man in a truck but I guess I would have been safer and happier with that.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

U-Haul is a good company to do business with and they care about their customers, always have what you need with no pressure, service is good and with a smile and politeness.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

U-Haul is a good company in general. I have rented every size truck they have and all the trucks above 20' truck are old. They have cramped cabs and if you are moving a family of 4 you need to drive two vehicles. I have seen a few four door cab self-moving trucks but none at U-Haul.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

U-Haul is a great company and I enjoyed their services. They have many different services and are reliable. The employees are courteous and knowledgeable and their prices are not too bad.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I have always thoroughly enjoyed my experience with U-Haul. The employees are kind and helpful from start to finish. I was pleased that the container wasn't just dropped off and I was given lots of advice. I really did appreciated the professionalism and accommodating nature extended to me by the staff, it isn't something you usually get and they were all very courteous. When the container arrived it was a little smaller than I expected. That was my fault as I didn't pay attention to the sizes listed online. But they were very helpful in giving ideas as to how to pack it to get the most out of the space.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

Moving from one home to another is never pleasant. You wake up all stressed out knowing you have to go to a U-Haul location and deal with them to get a truck, then load the truck and unload at the storage center, then bring the truck back. The only thing I liked about it was driving from one location to the other. Overall, my experience with U-Haul was okay, I rented a storage unit and truck. I dislike the availability of the storage unit sizes as well as the length of time to rent and turn in the rental truck along with the additional costs like boxes, etc. It was a little pricey but it served its purpose.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

The process was easy and smooth. Their customer service people were nice and able to answer all my questions. I discussed with them over the phone what I needed stored and they handled everything with care. I felt my items were taken care of and safe. All in all, my experience was positive. I was completely satisfied with their service and I would use them again.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

We first went to look up details on their website which we found to be very fluid and easy to use. Then we called the company to gather more information and luckily the person on the other side was very helpful and patient in answering questions and getting rid of any confusion on our part. Unfortunately, at the moment there was no availability and that we had to wait a bit so that was a little disappointing, but the company offered to call us back when there was availability. They also asked if we would like to reserve their product. When they called us back we were given the option of either picking up the box or having it dropped off to where we lived, which in my opinion I found very helpful. The response time was fast and their rates were low.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

It is a very easy service to use, great customer service, affordable, extremely convenient and timely. They help with packaging supplies and offer assistance moving if needed. Customer service is able to provide customers with everything that may be needed through the entire process.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I contacted them via phone, explained our situation to them and asked the representative for pricing. They were quick, kind and courteous throughout the whole process and their professionalism was second-to-none. They had some of the best pricing in our area and they were available when we needed them. From start to finish, the company was above and beyond what we expected. If I needed to move again, they'd be the first call. The service wasn't free so that's always a bummer but otherwise, they really met all of our needs.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

U-Haul was a nice fix and it helped solve some problems as well. I liked that it was easy to use and nothing big was a problem with it. The men were very nice and they helped speed through some processes for me and my family so when they came in and helped out it wasn't much of an effort. It was an easy process. Overall, it was a nice experience and they were very cooperative with what was needed to be done. They were very well behaved and actually did it well.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

U-Haul's process and transaction were fast and exceptionally easy. The salesman was extremely helpful and knowledgeable making my decision to use this company very comforting. Also, there were no delays nor complications. The reliability of the company is as true as their advertisement said.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

For my storage needs, U-Haul Storage had all the storage I could possibly need now or in the future. I like that they had clean and climate controlled storage units as well as non-climate control units and either one would fit they need anyone would have. My experience with them was excellent and I would recommend them to any friend, family or colleague as well as use them again in the future for my needs. I like that they were very experienced and very qualified to do the job I needed them to do. I like the way the company made me feel in charge the whole time and everything was done in a timely manner.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I contacted them to initiate the entire process, they gave me a quote, we agreed to it, they hooked me up with a storage space and I have paid monthly. My experience with U-Haul Storage was positive for the most part, and the few problems I had they took care of in a speedy manner. Their customer service was the best. I like it as well as the good storage facilities and the friendly employees. I would definitely recommend to others.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

My experience with U-Haul Storage was very easy going and pleasant. They were very easy to work with and are very helpful. They also provide the best customer service. The process of getting a storage unit with them was very easy and simple. I was able to get a storage unit through the website and made my decision by comparing different sizes and rates. They provide reliable storage unit services at a cheap affordable rate. The storage units are also very safe and secure which made them even better.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2017

I went to the U-Haul Storage website. Looked around for a little while then placed an order. They showed up and help load everything after they packed everything neatly in their awesome packing. The packing and packages were top of the line. From the first look at the website to the complete processing, completely happy and more than content. I found the experience to be a great one. They met every need it had and then some. Would definitely recommend to friends and family. The best service from a company I have had in a long time.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

The service was great and the customer service was very friendly. Everything is very clean and secure. The process of getting what you need is simple, seamless and pain free. I told them what I needed and poof I had it. The people who work there were so nice and helpful. They were also very knowledgeable so if you have any problems or questions they will be answered. The price is very competitive with other companies and I can get packing, moving, equipment, trucks, and storage all in one place. I wish the price could be a little lower though but then I would not want to compromise on quality to get a lower price.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

The experience was pretty decent, not too much trouble with anything or the company. Asking family to help put or move my equipment to the truck and then garage. Usually took the whole day or more or moving as fast as we can without breaking anything to get done. The trucks and garages they offer could be a little bigger though so we can store more stock in them and better place things and not stacked up. There's a high chance you could break things. But good overall. I would recommend U-Haul Storage to anybody that asked about this company if they were planning on moving.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2017

The company was easy to work with, provided reasonable prices, and remained very professional. The process started with me researching a lot of companies and U-Haul Storage It was the best deal and value so I chose it. I also liked the variety of options that the company offered. There was something for any need I could have and the employees were nice as well. I would recommend them to others.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

Very good experience, I enjoyed the relationship I had with the staff that worked there that were able to help me. U-Haul was an affordable choice for us to use at the time. It's easy to use and available in locations I needed and helpful with shipping need. Very easy to get a hold of someone to schedule any service or if there were questions, they looked up the answer when I needed help and got back to me. I was able to get the right amount of storage I needed. Only thing was customer service and support wasn't the best, wish they had more people working each shift, had to wait for an answer but they did answer the question eventually.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

The website is very easy to navigate where you can view and compare over 40,000 storage facilities across the United States. It takes you inside to local facilities near you so you don't have to call around for pricing. The leading company has many partners with "small business, mom&pop" facilities so there are ample possibilities for you to rent in your local area; you know the pricing and can book in as little as a few minutes. You can do your business to find what suits your storage needs on your computer or on your mobile devices with no hassles. I used the storage service and did the packing myself. Once I booked a space was available and upon my arrival the customer support was exceptional. They even had tools available to help me if necessary. A very stress-free event.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

It was pleasant, convenient and U-Haul Storage had great hours. They worked with me if I was going to be a few days late and the prices were great. It was an overall great experience. But maybe they could have a drop off box for payments and could have more available hours.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

We needed storage when we moved from one state to another while looking for a larger place to rent. U-Haul Storage had reasonable prices, ample storage space and many choices of space size. We were showed several spaces so we would know how much we needed to spend for a space that would hold the items we needed to store. They also provided a list of names we could speak to about their service and all the references provided had very positive things to say about them, especially about the safety of the storage compartments so we were not at all concerned. They were extremely professional, helpful and provided reliability and very quick service. We had a very good experience.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

U-Haul is a trusted brand for moving, so it makes sense that the company would seek to extend their brand promise into the storage space and they are a first choice versus other local, lesser known companies. The process of deciding to engage U-Haul self and portable storage was smooth sailing and it was easy to find prices, options, terms and conditions, etc. Their staff is sometimes harried but the experience was seamless, from the start all the way to the finish. Customer service support was adequate and representatives were knowledgeable. Also, the items were stored safely.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

We were moving out of our apartment into another across town and we got to keep the Uhaul box for the whole weekend and return it in Monday so we had plenty of time to load our stuff and then unpack it. The employee were very pleasant and helpful and answered all our questions. The price was a little expensive but it was worth it. We would recommend Uhaul to anyone looking for a storage box to use it. It was a good experience and we had no problems. The Uhaul was not as clean as expected but when we mentioned it to the manager they cleaned it out. Was mainly just some garbage left from previous renters.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

U-Haul Storage/U-Box was very affordable, extremely convenient and exceeded expectations. I called the company and advised them that I was in need of a storage solution. The company then replied the size of the storage unit (approximately a room and a half) & asked me would I come get it or did I need it delivered. They also asked if I would be packing it myself or needed their assistance. I advised I would be packing it myself. I was then asked to schedule a pick-up time & they picked it up during the time they said they would.

I liked the fact that they would deliver & come pick up the storage unit as well as your belongings. However there were a few less-than-friendly employees there but unfortunately that's just the character flaws of some people in my hometown. The actual office that was called was great but the guys who delivered? Not so much. Other than that the experience with U-Haul Storage/U-Box was extremely positive. I got what I paid for and was able to get it set up and running quickly. It was a very easy & seamless process & I would use it again.

U-Haul Storage Company Information