1.29/5

Publishers Clearing House

Founded in 1953, Publishers Clearing House is a multi-channel direct marketer of value-based consumer products and magazines. The company calls attention to its products by providing consumers entry for chance to win sweepstakes prizes. No purchase or payment is ever necessary to enter or win. Since 1967 the company has awarded over $228 million in prizes and awards. Consumers seeking direct assistance can contact PCH's customer service division, toll free, at (800) 645 9242.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1780 Publishers Clearing House Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I am not sure the Publishers Clearing House "no purchase necessary to enter" is really free? I hope it is. I was prompted by several emails and have still not received a entry confirmation number. They keep saying you are almost done, prompting buy one more thing??? There was no option "click here" to enter free listed anyplace on their site. I seldom buy online and I rarely play games. I only wanted to try a free entry. I ended up ordering the least expensive item to continue with the entry process. I am not giving a bad review, only questioning the "free to enter" wording.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I started to fill out their form as many have mentioned thinking that it's 'free', well, it isn't as the site has some circular logic that prevents you from 'canceling' out of the program, after seeing that it forces you albeit surreptitiously to buy something anything before it let you go, I went back to the form and deleted my information - or so I thought despite this and my never completing their program have received a light bulb for $14.95 a with shipping of $5.99 and $1.83!!! This is beyond ridiculous, and highly unethical. As many have pointed out.

However, as this is a convenient conduit to vent frustration the question remains - what is the Consumer Affairs site/organization doing to stop this??? It seems ludicrous that with so many complaints nothing is ever done. The only way to get them off your back is to pay, so they win, but why isn't something done? I recommend people write the attorney general's office of their state complaining for some action to be taken, the consumer protection and various organizations seem incapable or unwilling to do so.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

This entire thing is a scam. You enter follow all steps and then a final page as no options other than entering a game etc. You then wonder where you go as no other buttons exist to finalize? You check out and the next day you get another email telling you're not finished, on and on and on... all while saying no purchase necessary. No credibility at all, this has become a behavioral reinforcement scam to keep you performing over and over in the hopes you will give in and take in offer.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I am amazed that Publisher's Clearing House is permitted to continue to operate the way it does. I decided to enter...why not, I thought. Well, instead of magazines (I remember the old days)...they are offering a huge assortment of items, all of which you pay for in installments plus shipping. That is not the problem. I have followed all the directions, and every day I receive a message telling me that my entry is not complete (even though the previous day indicated that it had been submitted) and pleading with me to look one more time at the huge selection of items for sale. I have continued to do this to see if it ever ends, and so far it has not. (This began on January 1, 2019. Today is the 13th and I have received 27 email messages from PC). I I am not sure I will ever receive an actual number, and I am warning you...do not waste your time!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

My 88 year old mother has thought for years she is going to win! She has spent thousands and thousands of dollars on the junk they sell. I told her many times not to waste her money on such junk...and just go to the Dollar store and buy the same type stuff. She said she had stopped, but I just intercepted a bill from PCH for over a thousand dollars! It's ridiculous! I'm not making this up! I can't believe it! But my Mother does!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Publishers Clearing House?

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

They don’t deserve one star. I have purchased several items but they keep nagging with chronic emails with a slight threat...even though they say “purchase not necessary.” They use terminology that urges you to buy for a higher rating... Would lead you to think your chances are better if you buy one more item...over and over again. And the date for winning seems to be pushed up all the time. So done with this. It would be great to win but chances are highly unlikely.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Years ago I got so stressed with the numerous mailings from PCH that I wrote and asked them to discontinue spending mail to me. After doing some research, I realized that there was not any chance of me winning and even less than some because I am **. I checked the winners' zip codes against the demographics and it did not surprise me that next to no ** lived in the winning zip codes. The $5,000 a week winner was from Moro, Illinois where the population is 99.6% **. It is a shame that this company sends a mountain of mail to me knowing I would never, ever win. So, my request to PCH is to send your mail to those zip codes that you seek your winners.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I figured out I've been spending AT LEAST $10 a month postage on PCH entries - each entry telling me I need to make ONE MORE entry before I'll be in the latest drawing, and I'll be BETTER OFF buying $10 worth of LOTTO tickets monthly, which is EXACTLY what I'm going to do INSTEAD from now ON!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

My mother-in-law died and I had to cancel all the nonsense she got herself involved with concerning PCH. Being of sound mind and ability, I can't begin to tell you how difficult it was. They kept sending packages even though I returned them without opening them and told them to close her account. They kept charging her for the packages I returned. I called them to stop sending those large packages of junk to her house. I had to call them three times to actually get them to stop. I have been on the phone numerous times to cancel the TV guide subscription which should be a HUGE refund.

They kept hanging up on me and once you hit "3" to cancel an order, the automation sends you in a loop "I'm sorry, I didn't understand that entry". I feel bad for the poor elderly who have to deal with this and can't stop it. And I bet PCH takes them to court if they don't pay for the ** they send to them monthly. IT IS OUT OF HAND! SHUT THEM DOWN! Once I told them all our conversations were being recorded, they assured a refund within two weeks. Go figure.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

I have entered for years, & never won a damn thing! No one I know has, either! They are fake, & want you to jump through their stupid hoops! They must know that I'm desperate for money???! Fake creeps! Shut them down! They deserve to be in prison!!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I got a package today of products that they offer. I didn't order it and I will not pay for what I didn't order. My husband said he didn't order them either. This is the second time this has happened. I hate it and will not enter their stupid contests ever again. I am miffed and will book no guff from them. I wonder how many other people are scammed by them like this. The package this time was 3 light bulbs and the full price for three bulbs is some 18.00. I can get these very bulbs for 4 dollars at my local Dollar General or Family Dollar store. I am a frugal person and would never order lame bulbs like this. In fact I have better ones I bought at the Family Dollar and they are LED. Much better of a energy saving light bulb. They send you merchandise and think they can make you pay for it. Even though you didn't order it.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

PCH is constantly bombarding me with opportunities to enter and win whatever their current millionaire scheme is. They claim their “no purchase” necessary to enter any given contest and yet when you attempt to do that, they continually bombard you with requests to please purchase something and reconsider all they have to offer with these products. And their continual email gets worse with each mailing stating you going to lose this wonderful opportunity to maybe win this contest if you ignore their emailings and don’t purchase something. It’s Bait and Switch plain and simple and they need to be put out of business by the regulators who oversee this stuff because you CANNOT enter to win ANY CONTEST WITHOUT making a purchase or subscribing to a magazine. They already were exposed for tossing out people’s entries a few years ago. Somebody please do something!!! It needs to Stop!!!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Awful site. They lure you in saying things like "search and win" or "instant win games". The only thing you do is bank tokens. All the emails they send about gaining more entries are cleverly disguised adware. You can search to win but once you search it gives you 250 tokens and doesn't even show you your supposed "entry". Instead you'll be shown a Google search result and a tiny picture saying something like "double entries".

Once clicked you will be greeted by a never-ending list of garbage to buy online. Yeah. That's what I want to do. I want to spend MORE money online in a day than a gambling addict spends on scratchers in a month. All to enter a contest I'm fairly certain no one has ever actually won. Google it. Just look for 1 PCH winner who isn't a fake online personality or paid actor and you'll get zero results. Winners don't exist. The contest is fake. The entries are fake. The winners are fake. The only thing that's real are the dirty lies and the sponsors trying to sell you useless junk.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

So I had accumulated around 50 million tokens. It took me almost 5 years of playing all their games and I figured if I redeemed 50 million tokens all at once I would surely win. After all it took me 5 years of saving them. Surely no one else was going to spend that much in one shot right? Lo and behold I didn't win. Almost 20,000 entries on 1 gift card and I didn't win. I'm sorry but that's bs. It's rigged for sure.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I called day after I ordered something. I talked to a nice clerk. I gave her the two order numbers and my account number. I told her I wanted to cancel the two orders. She said the orders were cancelled. However, a week later I got 3 tins of cookies that were all damaged in into little pieces. Saw the same three tins at a Dollar Store for $1.00 each. I paid $17.20 for the cookies. I got an electric can opener that cost $30.44. Could have a working can opener for $14.00 at Walmart. To boot, the can opener doesn't work. I learned a valuable lesson. Don't order anything from these people. Their items are a big gip. Wish I had read these reviews before I ordered. They flood my email every day, although I have requested to unsubscribe.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I only started entering in the last few months. It is a tremendous amount of work and seems to have no real value. Just tokens, tokens, tokens... Out of pure curiosity I searched and searched for real winners online and can only find testimonials on the PCH blog... Feel like they are paying actors to accept the prize and it's not actually real. You would think with technology today we would be able to find true winners and their testimonials somewhere other than the PCH blog. I mean look at Facebook, you know when someone is at the convenience store buying a soda...

Why can't anyone find a PCH winner testimonial? Seems just too good to be true that someone actually wins to me. I could be totally wrong, just unable to find solid proof. I feel bad for those that have been entering for years and years! I will say you are committed and commitment is a great thing. If you are still entering I wish you the best of luck! I don't think I am going to continue, it just takes up so much time and from what I can see no one actually wins.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I started playing this because I wanted to reach out until the last stone. After a few months playing I received an order on the mail. I never ordered anything and I am very disappointed with them. I don't want you to sent me anything. Now, I'll have to sent it back and pay for something I never ordered. Don't play this games anymore, it's a scam. Deleting this app from my phone and blocking it from my email.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

All of the people that have wrote in before me have said what I have said for years, it’s not right. They can tell you that you are the next big winner and send letters with your address and to make sure you put on a good show for them when they show up! If you are not home they will find me! I am 83 years old, I have been buying in to this crap for 60 years! So why has someone not done something about it, all the money people have spent that they can not afford is just not right, do something please!

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I have participated in PCH mailings (snail mail and emails) for more than a decade. I have bought some things over time, but have not purchased anything for awhile. I started receiving People magazine although I never ordered it – something I believe PCH sent me since they have my address, enter me in numerous game. I have never won a dime with PCH.

I believe that the Tokens is a scam. If it is not why do I not have my prize nor all of my over 5,000,000 tokens? My PCH Tokens account reflected 5,380,600. I looked on the site this week (October 30, 2018) and saw that there were $25 cash gift cards for 500 tokens each, so I put in 9999 tokens. There was no mention initially that it was a game. I assumed that I’d get $25 cards for my tokens. I later learned about some mention that these were not applied to my tokens, but this is not true because I now have 372,450 tokens left as of today. PCH decided not to honor their own game yet took my tokens. I did not put in tokens for any other cards. I am asking that PCH rewards honor their $25 cash gift cards with the 9,999 tokens I played.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

My mother of 85 years old spent her entire life trying. Then I'm doing the same thing, cash in tokens nothing, enter every day on everything and nothing, just a rip off to get us to order. This is ridiculous and it's time I block this account and delete the app off my phone. I can't let my hopes of this to overcome my sanity. The only people winning are the ones we order crap from. So like everything else put there it's a ripoff.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

I received an unsolicited call from PCH today. The guy introduced himself and asked if I was having a good day. I responded with, "I'm having a great day and I hope that you have a great day." As I'm about to hit the end call button, I hear a **-you. I guess PCH has a new approach to dealing with customers.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I placed an order this year, I thought the shipping and handling was a bit pricey. A customer service representative spoke to me like I was literally beneath her. She was the fifth person this year, who spoke with racial undertones. My account has been altered. Everyone says they don't see a change, but I did. They stick up for each other, they placed me on hold, and come back saying the exact same thing. They don't care. No one believes, this would happen at a establishment like this. This is not written out of anger, this is the God's honest truth.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I bought a DVD from PCH they charge high prices and real high shipping. I ordered a John Wayne DVD and they sent Red Skelton. I sent the bill back and told them and a copy of the bill that Had John Wayne on it. They sent a letter back and said, "We will send you another Red Skelton DVD." WHAT? Nobody probably ever WINS and what you see on TV are just paid people. I am through with these crooks and thieves. They say you can pay in payments but they sent me a letter and said they would charge me a late charge of $4.50.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Beware of PCH's promise to send you money when you win a simple scratch off for $5,000.00 or any contest you venture into. The headlines saying they have winners is bogus. After signing the entry as directed, placing in the proper envelope, mailing the entry before the due date to the correct address with my return address. I received no money after many searches for 7 years, calls and emails, they denied my claim and I told them they were frauds. Never send me mail again or email but they are relentless.

I consider them a virus and a Trojan horse, and a worm in my computer and have filed them into my trash and have them as a part of the cleaning that my security does weekly, but, they continue to come back. I recently sent them a rather nasty email and they had the nerve to serve up another way to get more games to win the money. It is an algorithm is all I can figure. I have gone deeply and unsubscribed and it stops for a while, but like a bad pimple it returns.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I entered my mother in for the "$2,000 a week for life" contest on PCH.com. A few weeks later, my mother starts getting phone calls and mail stating that she has won. My mother is elderly and believes every word of it. She first paid a "search fee" via mail. Then she was being hit up for "taxes" on the millions, the scammers want $1,200 paid to them upfront. I tell her and tell her it is a scam, but because she was entered in the PCH contest, she thinks it is real. This terrible company should be ASHAMED that they are scamming elderly people. They can try to pretend they are not in on the scams, but my mother does not get online and I am the one who entered her personal info in the "legitimate" site at PCH.com just prior to this mess starting. Nobody had my mother's private information except PCH. I think they may be selling information or have a side "business" of hustling elderly people out of their money.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

I always get Publishers Clearing House info just to review. Well, this morning I actually selected a couple items and continued thru the process of submitted my entry and all of a sudden I had purchased the items without knowing how much shipping was or taxes. I tried calling, no one picks up on Sunday's, I tried to cancel online but requires that I have an account number which I do not get till my order comes. They say it's on all communications I get, not true. They also say they expedite orders... so by tomorrow not sure I will be able to cancel.

I hate I can't see summary of an order before I decide... with all costs. Plus I need customer friendly way to cancel an order any time. I really do not like PCH. I expect most people just accept whatever... because it becomes so much work to just figure out what is going on with order especially if you want to change. Do not buy from PCH... not consumer friendly. They provide no easy way to communicate or cancel an order. What a scam.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

After 20 yrs. entering PCH and buying products I've had it. If anyone wins it is few and far between. Is there any way we can get together and sue this company for all the postage and time and effort we have put on to get nothing in return? Isn't this false advertising? I am so disappointed. Sometimes sending off 15 envelops where they each have a different address. Not anymore. I've had it with these phony people.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I have been mailing and playing more and more PCH games. I used to order for years but the items are very cheap for the money. They hook you in with the tokens to win a gift card. I tried for 5 years playing games and sending in my emails that would urgently say you better put in your entry or you may lose the big prize. We have less odds at PCH than at regular lotto scratch off or numbers. I have won 50 times 2 dollar, 15 4 dollar and 10,000 winning. PCH is a scam. Thank you for taking up hours of our lives just to play your scam apps. Unacceptable.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2018

Hey. Mister ** called me and several other men saying that I won 7.5 million and a BMW but in order to claim this money I had to buy a money order or wire money from Walmart or go to my bank and get a receipt which costs 60 bucks or 70 bucks. I immediately thought it had to have been a scam so I just talked to the people like they thought they was getting me. One of the guys said, "You never have to pay money out to Publishers Clearing House" and then later on in the conversation he said that I had to pay the money to get the receipt for the claim.

Under my breath I laughed. Now I am hearing that people are getting fake checks in the mail. I never have won Publishers Clearing House and I have been playing since I was old enough to fill out anything because my grandma was always playing. I am now 45 years old. Still have never won Publishers Clearing House. Today I logged on to Publishers Clearing House website like I usually do and I see on the top tab in the browser that there is phasing script in the website. I'm getting untrusting of any mail, email, phone call or even somebody showing up at the house so if Publishers Clearing House ever does have me win they better bring police officers with them so that I know that they are real.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I have been playing PCH online token games since August 2011. I won about $90 from 2011 to 2013. I only ever won on their Facebook pages. They no longer have any significant presence on Facebook and haven't since 2016. I can't prove it but I think Facebook diminished their presence. I'm currently running two web accounts. I only play games that pay out $100,000.00 or more. I use an ad blocker to kill their commercials and website posting ads. The practical upshot is it saves my bandwidth from unnecessary garbage downloaded and really saves time on hitting their games and then getting out.

I play about 3 hours a day. I've not won anything since September of 2013. That was a $5.00 gift code for Amazon. I might buy something from them twice a year. I play, I think I'm a fool. I dropped 100,000,000. tokens trying to win a $500.00 prepaid credit card. And didn't win crap!!! If it wasn't for the fact that I'm disabled and have nothing better to do with my time I would quit. Death is looking better and better all the time. Is PCH a scam? Probably.

Publishers Clearing House Company Information