Publishers Clearing House

Founded in 1953, Publishers Clearing House is a multi-channel direct marketer of value-based consumer products and magazines. The company calls attention to its products by providing consumers entry for chance to win sweepstakes prizes. No purchase or payment is ever necessary to enter or win. Since 1967 the company has awarded over $228 million in prizes and awards. Consumers seeking direct assistance can contact PCH's customer service division, toll free, at (800) 645 9242.

Compare Miscellaneous

Research top Miscellaneous recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I received a phone call today from "Tony **" who told me I had won $2 million plus a Mercedes Benz. He was very detailed and then asked me to deposit $299 cash to a special account to get me in the system... Go to WalMart for the transaction. I've never heard of a PCH sweepstakes requiring a payment of money before being awarded prize money. Am I wrong? He is calling me back tomorrow (Thur., 5/4) and is expecting me to follow through, which I am not going to do. Do you want other information? Would appreciate your response asap.

I have received numerous emails from PCH, supposedly to keep me in a sweepstakes. They require scrolling through cheap-looking products and doing online searches. I have never ordered from these emails but was shocked to receive an unsolicited product and then today, an email requesting payment. I did not order this!!! (Some kind of flashlight.) Unless they have some kind of deceitful mechanism that puts in an order if my finger brushes an invisible order button, then I have no idea how this could happen. I have stopped looking at these ads and certainly have no intention of paying for something I don't want and never ordered. Annoying to say the least to be dunned for this.

I've been playing this stupid site for almost 2-years. Never won a thing! The advertising is incredibly effective and well done to draw in suckers, but TOTAL BS!!!! I have almost 25-Million points that I've played and haven't won a thing! Congress should put a stop to PCH's BS! Never buy into this BS!

I buy items from PCH at times and I send back the junk but PCH has now started a new trend, at least it is new to me. My purchase was a cast iron grill pan. It was a little on the expensive side to begin with but when I got the bill it had a $12.00 S&H processing fee. Shipping is one thing but a handling fee is another because they are making an additional profit by saying they boxed the item, to me that is a real cheap shot. Most of the PCH items are junk anyway but my reasoning is that I want this item and I don't mind paying a little extra for it but $12.00 tacked on to a product that was overpriced in the first place really made me feel like a fool. I will not buy anything more from PCH.

I keep reading about scams. Well I WON $1000 playing Lotto at the above company, so I know they are a very responsible legitimate company! I can show you the proof because I had to report it on my 2015 income tax. The reason I am writing is because I am tired of people accusing PCH of being a scam organization; even today I still play all of their contests!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Publishers Clearing House?

I have been playing for 3 years straight and have not won anything but I still play to win. I do not believe that this is a scam. Fit to the fact that the company has been established since before I was born and is still going. We all want to win and do better in our lives. For everyone that received an email saying they won something over a 1000 please read the fine print when playing these games. Large prizes are not notified. They are surprised at your door. Who would send a 10000 grand prize by email. Those are scams to collect your personal information. I read about them all the time. How people are notified through mail of email that they won or have to pay to get the money. That's just unreal. Also does it matter where the money comes from? As long as it is legal, I'm playing! I don't have to pay to enter and I don't have to buy products either so I'm all in. I hope you all don't give up on your dream of wanting something more due to a few scams.

PCH has been dinged enough by well, everybody from customers to the feds but they still fight even while retreating. I receive those 'YOU'VE BEEN SELECTED!!!!' things because I'm disabled and this is a way to window shop without having to walk. I, like many, usually search anything I want online for the lower price, because it's NOT PCH. I order when I can't find it anywhere else. This last invoice I wanted to pay in the installments. GOOD LUCK FINDING A WAY. After a GOOD 20 minutes searching their site, I finally found a little note down in the FAQ that says if you get your bill and want to pay in 'quarters' as they call it, you have to CALL CUSTOMER SERVICE DURING THEIR REGULAR BUSINESS HOURS. Some user-friendly attitude.

I was happy to make my first purchase and pleased with the item I bought. When I sent in my payment in full, there were ads with more special deals if I was interested. All you do is place the sticker on the payment form and they'll send you the item. Well, I never did. A month later I get a letter stating 3rd and final notice for payment past due. I was confused, I paid in full for the item I purchased and notice the amount was higher. Then I noticed the item "Retinol Cream". It dawn to me that was one of the offer that came with my statement. I called PCH customer service, and they explained that they received my order and that it was shipped out to me and received at my home. I said, "NO I never received such a thing nor have I ordered this item." I also recalled seeing ad for the same item thru via email I received, clicked on the link and had put the item into the basket. But I did not finalized anything and closed the website.

The PCH rep I spoke with was very rude as I can hear it in her tone and politely continued with the conversation. She did provide me a tracking number that the item was delivered at parcel/box and replied, "I never received anything." At the end, she said she would ship another item and that I would need to pay the amount owed before the due date before it goes to collections. I said to myself, might as well, I'm not getting through to this rep. I also requested to closed my membership and prefer not to received any more publications or emails and ended the call. After thinking about that whole ordeal of getting my point across, I felt I was done wrong. I honestly, never ordered that item, but yet she was telling me I did. I wished I made a copy of the back side of the statement where she claims the sticker was placed when I sent back my payment. I am still waiting for my item.

For just over the past year, I have responded to their search with our email and the buy from our email every day. It doesn't take long and I'm on the computer all the time. Their Super discounted prices are generally 20% higher (and $5 shipping) than elsewhere on the web, even when you are getting the extra special 50% off. Generally I will zoom through the pages and if I like something I go find it elsewhere and get it cheaper and free shipping. Their Emails are sent out by an automated system that doesn't know more about you than your email address, insert generic form 1,000.001 paste customer number 10,000,998 data file in. SEND!!! I have attempted to contact them about their email practices and well "we will look into it" is about as far as I got. Dead end.

"$30 value surprise gift. Just pay shipping with any purchase." Tried it I got 15 gift bags. I could have got from Dollar Tree for less than shipping cost me. Products are cheaply made, I have to be careful with them, and they still seem to break after 3-4 uses, what is odd is some of the items come in the standard package you see from elsewhere but they still don't last long. I've given up on buying anything from them, and I suggest you do the same. File for the contest, as I am pretty sure that is real, or we would see the government investigating them. But don't buy from them, use their ad as a lead to something neat to buy from someone else.

I am a sometimes participant with the PCH sweepstakes. I always hope I'll win, but haven't yet. I know some people who have thought they won. If you do win, you will receive a real, honest-to-goodness message from PCH. They will NOT ask you to send them any money, or anything else for that matter. If someone asks for money from you, it is a SCAM! Now, in regards to the products offered... I have purchased several things through PCH, and I've received good things and bad. I've bought bowls that broke the first time they went through the dishwasher, but still have some dish towels I bought years ago. Just like when you buy things you see on TV, you're playing the lottery when you order. It is only through comments like these that PCH truly knows about the products they sell. I doubt their reps actually try the items.

If you buy things with a wary eye, you'll be less disappointed. You might be happy, as I am with my rugs. If purchasing something through PCH really bothers your bottom line financially, you probably should wait, save your money, and buy somewhere else. But don't blame PCH for your mishandling of your money, or for believing SCAM artists who use PCH to commit fraud.

Just received a packet from PCH and in this one they advise me if I don't make a selection for one of the products they will pass my number(s) on to someone else. They indicated this was done before to someone else and the person to whom it was passed on to won. I don't know how much. I felt as though they were putting me under pressure to make a purchase which I will not allow to happen so, PCH, goodbye, I'm done.

It is really SAD to see this many lazy and/or uneducated and blame PCH. By simply reading their rules and giveaway guidelines they would NEVER blame PCH. Buying/subscribing to any ads does NOT increase your chances to win and PCH clearly states they are NOT liable for any issues you have with that other company. PCH gets cents per advertisement and they accumulate so that they can give free prizes but those are OTHER companies so... simply look up their reviews and experiences. Look up their policy. If it is Best Buy then I guarantee you that you will be treated fairly. If it is some small company from Thailand, then you are taking a risk. Be a grown adult and take responsibility if you fail to do your research.

PCH will NEVER call you if you win. In person surprise for big wins or letter with a check. That's it. No taxes or similar bs from scammers asking you for money before the prize. PCH will never say in a letter that you won something but then ask you to fill out a paper or similar. IT WILL BE A CHECK or it will be a flyer saying you have a CHANCE to win something, or you could lose out on the OPPORTUNITY to win 10k per week for life. Do you understand these words. It doesn't guarantee, it's a chance or opportunity. Open a dictionary if you don't understand certain words. And most important read the probability ratio. To win the main prize or 1 million $ your chances are 1 in about 3.5 BILLION. So unless you submitted 3.5 million times, you have no right to complain for not winning. And even with small prizes like a laptop or similar, the chance to win is like 1 in 500,000. So unless you played 500,000 games, DO NOT COMPLAIN.

THE FACT IS, PEOPLE GET LUCKY LIKE IN THE LOTTERY AND WIN ALL THE TIME. But lottery is not free and odds are way better but still, in lottery you have a smaller chance to win the main prize than die by being struck by lightning 1 in 2.5 million. So play the free games, enjoy it, read all the rules and guidelines and one day you might win something. Either way don't blame any company that shows clear rules, odds, guidelines and even warnings on how to know it's not them, for your mistakes.

While I question if anyone actually has won a large prize, such as the $5000 a week for life, I actually did win and received a check for $5 from search and win. Very small winnings but it did show me that they actually do pay small winnings. I have ordered products they offered, not to increase my chances, but wanted what seemed like cute items. The items weren't too bad, but what I wasn't told was the outrageous shipping costs which aren't disclosed when order is placed. For that reason I will never order products from PCH again. But the winnings are real, but highly unlikely that the actual winning pre-picked number will ever be drawn. Can happen, but not probable.

They keep telling me that I've won something and then they send me to another survey to fill out. I think it's all a scam. They want you to think you have won BIG and then they send you to another damn survey to fill out. All we are doing is filling out surveys and not even getting paid for them. If you have not won anything don't make the consumer think they have won big time. You are deceiving us with promising us that we have won. I'm VERY DISAPPOINTED ALSO! I'm not your biggest fan right now. I bet nobody's ever won anything. THAT'S NOT THE WAY TO TREAT PEOPLE!

I remember sometime in the 70's I was told that I won a 20 inch TV. In order to get it I had to pay shipping which amounted to more than I would have paid for the same TV in the first place. These people are SCAMMERS and nobody wins the top prize or probably any other prize. If anybody won the 7 million a week for life, wouldn't it be on the news on TV? For one thing, how would this crap company be able to afford to pay out this amount every year or many times per year? Come now, would you believe this? Not even a drug cartel could afford to do that.

Very disappointed that my elderly mother got roped into numerous purchases from your company. Over $800+ magazines that the woman will never read or have an interested in - no refund. We were told just keep getting magazines. REALLY??? 80+ year old woman reads Rolling Stones... Other magazines never even heard of before more magazines than ever US, Good Housekeeping, Shape, Money, Forbes... Too many to list. She needs the $ for health issues not useless magazines or items. Other items she supposedly order - she's not even sure how she did that. Have been returned unopened once us children saw what was coming to her.

I believe that PCH is a legitimate company. However, it preys on the gullible and easily swayed by advertising. My complaint deals with the fact that my brother has fallen prey to the idea the he is going to be the winner of these huge sweepstakes that PCH has. This has happened several times and then it's up to me to contact PCH and have him taken off their mailing list. A word to the wise - if the person's name is spelled a bit wrong or the address is a bit off, then the whole cycle starts over again. My brother has a very limited income, and I am his POA, so it is up to me to keep his finances in order, as he doesn't take care of it himself. I am also on his bank account so I have the ability to do that. I don't like being the "bad cop" here, but I just hate to see him being taken advantage of just because he believes all of the mail that he reads or sees things on TV. Just be cautious of about this company.

I've been entering the PCH contests for years, both through mail and online, every day, through their site and all the e-mails they send me. I'm still hoping I will win one day, but what I am really wondering about, and can find no information on, is this: I have recently been redeeming my tokens for the prize drawings. I had accumulated over 60 million tokens over the years and thought what the heck. But I have done this several times over the past few months and have noticed NO tokens were taken out of my total. I still have over 60 million tokens!!! And some of the drawings I "entered" I put in over 2 or 3 million tokens. Seems to me this particular contest just might be a scam. Anyone else notice this?

I entered the contest because after all who doesn't want to win $5,000.00 a month for life; even if you got your finances in order. After playing Publishers Clearing House games for a few days I stayed getting calls and calls and borderline driving me insane with have all this calls. They have my phone number, my address, my emails. Is there a way to get rid of them? I don't know. I wished I never got to play the stupid game. Please help. They have been calling at all times of the day. I can't have a peaceful moment eating dinner with my family or at work, because they call and text, and send emails at all times of the day. Consumer Affairs I beg for help!!!

I must say they ask you for your information and I keep receiving teller marketers. I'm so tired of these calls. They do make it very easy for them to get your info. I'm a women that is on a machine and they call all day every day. I'm sick of it. My info should be protected and it shouldn't be an easy target...

I entered the $5000 WK with PCH, after I PURCHASED 2 PRODUCTS. I was NOT GIVEN my entry NUMBERS but only led to MORE ITEMS TO PURCHASE. I tried several times after that but STILL NO WAY TO GET MY ENTRY NUMBERS. Still I keep getting notices from PCH to be sure NOT TO MISS the CLOSING DEADLINE. What is more alarming is: After I entered my information, I started getting tons of emails illegally using my email ID at the front of each message. These emails were PRODUCT OFFERINGS. I BLOCKED THE SITE even though I have NO IDEA where this SPAM is coming from. It is MY OPINION that PCH is a SCAM and should be reported to their LOCAL ATTORNEY GENERAL to be investigated. I'm to blame for believing there was such a PCH drawing.

I have ordered from PCH for years their products are OK. But decided not to order many more from them. So I have an order from them in years and all of a sudden I start getting bills for things that I paid for 234 years before so I called them up they say they don't have my money orders. I know I paid for them this isn't the first time it happened to me. It's happening but the first couple times I paid for them thinking OK maybe I didn't. This is the third time I paid for merchandise that they have billed me for again so I did call Penn Credit explaining to them that I did pay for it. I called PCH they say they don't have copies of my own money orders. I know I paid for them I told them I will not be paying for them. I have had it paying for things to her three times before when I know I paid for them and of course it's this two and three for years later so I don't have my copy of my money orders but I know I was all caught up with them so I'm not paying for it again.

I played the PCH Instant Win Slot Games all day every day for 2 months. I paid particular attention to the Instant Win Icons. While the wheels were spinning I noticed that in each game that 1 wheel didn't have an Instant Win Icon. Therefore making it impossible for anyone to win. This site is one of the biggest scams I have ever seen.

Every day I would get 6-7 emails and each one said, you are almost there or you must do something more? I thought when you entered a contest that was it? Each day a string of 4 pages of items they are selling, with subtle pressure to order something. Then a lotto with more of the same. Then several emails that said in order to complete, or don't lose your chance or other emails that lead you to think that if you do not complete this one, all your recent purchases, responses were for nothing.

I've researched and have confirmed the "$5,000 a week forever" prize is real, with odds of winning being like 505,000,000 (over FIVE HUNDRED MILLION) to 1 odds, which is astronomical. Your odds are better if you play your state lottery, but PCH is free to enter, so I do. That's where the "realness" on their website ends. Firstly, every 2 games, instant win, scratch-off, sweepstakes, etc requires you to turn OFF your Internet Explorer Tracking Protection as well as turning ON your Flash Player, both of which install tracker cookies and registry entries on your computer. If you don't do this, the game, scratch-off, etc will not even load AT ALL so you can't play. Slick. Upon exiting PCH's website, I always have to clean out all of PCH's tracking cookies as well as several registry entries PCH keeps installing on my laptop. Not exactly FREE huh? Luckily I have software that deletes all of them quickly and easily without even having to reboot my laptop.

Kinda sucks since the "instant wins" and "scratch-offs" never EVER pay anything but tokens. My token total is over 86,000,000 tokens at this point, but NO MONEY. So don't expect it. Believe me, after all these years I can confirm that $$$ payouts just don't happen. The "Token Leaderboard Totals" are not real, so don't bother trying to win this. I'm up late so I always do the PCH stuff at 12:00 am when the new PCH day starts. Well, at 12:01 am there is ALREADY a list of players on this "Token Leaderboard" with totals over 300,000 which is impossible to do in 1 minute. I always maxed out EVERYTHING, every single day for over 3 YEARS but the highest daily tokens I ever achieved in one day was 121, 250.

I finally emailed PCH to ask what I'm missing, how are these people getting these super-high token totals in under a minute. All I got back was the same generic email everyone else gets stating "everyone has the same chance..." Oh well. I no longer bother with the fake "Token Leaderboard" thing anymore, so I don't need to watch all the stupid videos in the "Winners" tab either. There's no sense in wasting my time trying to win a FAKE daily contest. Instead, I just keep maxing out tokens and entering all of them for the $500 CASH gift card every day. It takes 3,000 tokens for 1 entry.

The "Wheel of Winning" is also a joke. You get to spin the wheel after playing 10 games (or 7 slot machine games). It has 9 segments, 4 of which are $$$ amounts and 5 are TOKEN amounts. After spinning this wheel 1,000s of times over the years it has never, EVER landed on a $$$ amount. Not even the piddly $10 payout. Ever. In all these years. This is impossible. Again, I just accept the tokens and use them to enter for the $500 CASH gift card.

So in conclusion, if you just want to enter the "$5,000 a week forever" contest, fine. Only takes a few seconds. If you want to play for tokens to enter for any of the other prizes, who knows??? Just don't bother with the stupid "Token Leaderboard" contest as it is fake, and don't waste much time on PCH at all. If you try to do every fake thing on the website you'll be there for 3-4 hours every day playing (like I used to do). For what it's worth.

A few weeks ago I received yet another mail from Publishers Clearing House. I filled it out and mailed it in. In the mailing there was a sheet that said the results of the drawing would be broadcast on NBC Nightly News on February 24th. Since I did not know if I would be home or not to watch this broadcast I decided to record the program. I also recorded the program before and after the broadcast. As it happened I was home and watched the broadcast live. I also watched the program before and after the broadcast. I did not see the information about who won the prizes. The next day I watched the programs again. I still did not see ANYTHING about Publishers Clearing House. I still have the recording and will show it to ANYONE interested.

I have been entering these stupid contests for nearly 30 years and have never heard of anyone winning anything from them. I believe it is a FRAUD and should be stopped. These ads for Publishers Clearing House are nothing more than fraud to get people to buy their magazines, subscriptions etc. Whoever is running this fraud should be arrested and punished for operating this FRAUD.

Several years ago, I ordered with this company but then I canceled it and I had it confirmed that it was canceled. I have no use or interest in magazines. Without warning, I received a letter that I was sent to collections for almost $1000 for money that I owe to the company! I NEVER received any mail/email/call to say that I was in default for payments. Even after calling the collections company, they Confirmed that the MAJORITY of people are unaware that they owe money. This company WANTS you to get sent to collection. They purposely DO NOT give you any notice. DO NOT TRUST THEM.

I've been playing for 17 yrs won 10.00$. Wow. Every time they make me they make me think I am gonna win next time. They have destroyed me emotionally. Why do they do that to people? Seriously they need to be ashamed after all them orders I placed I could have a high rise, or the newest Mercedes, or maybe 10 houses. Something needs to be changed here and then they send me emails like making me believe I am the next winner if I enter and I always fall for it. It's like they have a grip on me and won't let go till they drain the last drop of blood out of my body.

Ordered mortar and pedestal, pedestal broken, couldn't get credit. They shipped me another one as "free" replacement. Then double billed me and turned me over to collection agency for only paying for usable set. Save your money. PCH is another mail order ripoff company full of promises!!!

Cons: I don't think anybody really ever win those big prizes. I seen it on TV again and again but it's just a commercial, it's not really a winner. I joined them, I purchased something of like $20.00. The payments are supposed to be splitted but if you go online you don't have that option. I been participating for around 11 years and haven't ever got nothing worth a penny. I had one of their famous gifts that is worth a dime in China. 90% of what they have is from China and they are junk that you can find at the dollar store for a dollar. WE see the commercials and offers again and again and the date goes from February to next May, from there several months after. The one from December 23rd is now deadline for February. Again, very suspicious.

Pros: The Seen on TV items are there so to get them on credit is worth the try. You can get good magazine subscriptions at a discount. Last but not least the one that's worth the 3 stars I gave it, they can open you a door for credit. Yes, after years of buying from them I received a credit offer from one of their business partners, then another. Finally I received credit offers from jewelry stores with items worth buying. In total, I hooked up with around 9 catalog stores online. Don't buy that much but if I need it is there. So it became a good thing.

Publishers Clearing House Company Profile