Publishers Clearing House

Founded in 1953, Publishers Clearing House is a multi-channel direct marketer of value-based consumer products and magazines. The company calls attention to its products by providing consumers entry for chance to win sweepstakes prizes. No purchase or payment is ever necessary to enter or win. Since 1967 the company has awarded over $228 million in prizes and awards. Consumers seeking direct assistance can contact PCH's customer service division, toll free, at (800) 645 9242.

Compare Publications

Research top Publications recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I've researched and have confirmed the "$5,000 a week forever" prize is real, with odds of winning being like 505,000,000 (over FIVE HUNDRED MILLION) to 1 odds, which is astronomical. Your odds are better if you play your state lottery, but PCH is free to enter, so I do. That's where the "realness" on their website ends. Firstly, every 2 games, instant win, scratch-off, sweepstakes, etc requires you to turn OFF your Internet Explorer Tracking Protection as well as turning ON your Flash Player, both of which install tracker cookies and registry entries on your computer. If you don't do this, the game, scratch-off, etc will not even load AT ALL so you can't play. Slick. Upon exiting PCH's website, I always have to clean out all of PCH's tracking cookies as well as several registry entries PCH keeps installing on my laptop. Not exactly FREE huh? Luckily I have software that deletes all of them quickly and easily without even having to reboot my laptop.

Kinda sucks since the "instant wins" and "scratch-offs" never EVER pay anything but tokens. My token total is over 86,000,000 tokens at this point, but NO MONEY. So don't expect it. Believe me, after all these years I can confirm that $$$ payouts just don't happen. The "Token Leaderboard Totals" are not real, so don't bother trying to win this. I'm up late so I always do the PCH stuff at 12:00 am when the new PCH day starts. Well, at 12:01 am there is ALREADY a list of players on this "Token Leaderboard" with totals over 300,000 which is impossible to do in 1 minute. I always maxed out EVERYTHING, every single day for over 3 YEARS but the highest daily tokens I ever achieved in one day was 121, 250.

I finally emailed PCH to ask what I'm missing, how are these people getting these super-high token totals in under a minute. All I got back was the same generic email everyone else gets stating "everyone has the same chance..." Oh well. I no longer bother with the fake "Token Leaderboard" thing anymore, so I don't need to watch all the stupid videos in the "Winners" tab either. There's no sense in wasting my time trying to win a FAKE daily contest. Instead, I just keep maxing out tokens and entering all of them for the $500 CASH gift card every day. It takes 3,000 tokens for 1 entry.

The "Wheel of Winning" is also a joke. You get to spin the wheel after playing 10 games (or 7 slot machine games). It has 9 segments, 4 of which are $$$ amounts and 5 are TOKEN amounts. After spinning this wheel 1,000s of times over the years it has never, EVER landed on a $$$ amount. Not even the piddly $10 payout. Ever. In all these years. This is impossible. Again, I just accept the tokens and use them to enter for the $500 CASH gift card.

So in conclusion, if you just want to enter the "$5,000 a week forever" contest, fine. Only takes a few seconds. If you want to play for tokens to enter for any of the other prizes, who knows??? Just don't bother with the stupid "Token Leaderboard" contest as it is fake, and don't waste much time on PCH at all. If you try to do every fake thing on the website you'll be there for 3-4 hours every day playing (like I used to do). For what it's worth.

A few weeks ago I received yet another mail from Publishers Clearing House. I filled it out and mailed it in. In the mailing there was a sheet that said the results of the drawing would be broadcast on NBC Nightly News on February 24th. Since I did not know if I would be home or not to watch this broadcast I decided to record the program. I also recorded the program before and after the broadcast. As it happened I was home and watched the broadcast live. I also watched the program before and after the broadcast. I did not see the information about who won the prizes. The next day I watched the programs again. I still did not see ANYTHING about Publishers Clearing House. I still have the recording and will show it to ANYONE interested.

I have been entering these stupid contests for nearly 30 years and have never heard of anyone winning anything from them. I believe it is a FRAUD and should be stopped. These ads for Publishers Clearing House are nothing more than fraud to get people to buy their magazines, subscriptions etc. Whoever is running this fraud should be arrested and punished for operating this FRAUD.

Several years ago, I ordered with this company but then I canceled it and I had it confirmed that it was canceled. I have no use or interest in magazines. Without warning, I received a letter that I was sent to collections for almost $1000 for money that I owe to the company! I NEVER received any mail/email/call to say that I was in default for payments. Even after calling the collections company, they Confirmed that the MAJORITY of people are unaware that they owe money. This company WANTS you to get sent to collection. They purposely DO NOT give you any notice. DO NOT TRUST THEM.

I've been playing for 17 yrs won 10.00$. Wow. Every time they make me they make me think I am gonna win next time. They have destroyed me emotionally. Why do they do that to people? Seriously they need to be ashamed after all them orders I placed I could have a high rise, or the newest Mercedes, or maybe 10 houses. Something needs to be changed here and then they send me emails like making me believe I am the next winner if I enter and I always fall for it. It's like they have a grip on me and won't let go till they drain the last drop of blood out of my body.

Ordered mortar and pedestal, pedestal broken, couldn't get credit. They shipped me another one as "free" replacement. Then double billed me and turned me over to collection agency for only paying for usable set. Save your money. PCH is another mail order ripoff company full of promises!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Publishers Clearing House?

Cons: I don't think anybody really ever win those big prizes. I seen it on TV again and again but it's just a commercial, it's not really a winner. I joined them, I purchased something of like $20.00. The payments are supposed to be splitted but if you go online you don't have that option. I been participating for around 11 years and haven't ever got nothing worth a penny. I had one of their famous gifts that is worth a dime in China. 90% of what they have is from China and they are junk that you can find at the dollar store for a dollar. WE see the commercials and offers again and again and the date goes from February to next May, from there several months after. The one from December 23rd is now deadline for February. Again, very suspicious.

Pros: The Seen on TV items are there so to get them on credit is worth the try. You can get good magazine subscriptions at a discount. Last but not least the one that's worth the 3 stars I gave it, they can open you a door for credit. Yes, after years of buying from them I received a credit offer from one of their business partners, then another. Finally I received credit offers from jewelry stores with items worth buying. In total, I hooked up with around 9 catalog stores online. Don't buy that much but if I need it is there. So it became a good thing.

I played this for a year and half and never won anything ever. What a joke. The things I ordered was cheap and not worth the money. Never did get my money back from shipping it back. I would not recommend anyone playing this. Never again.......

I've been playing PCH since 1976. I've ordered a lot thru PCH and always paid full bill when it was delivered. The items have always been what it showed online. I get frustrated when I get home from work and they've sent me 4 emails saying forfeit if I don't respond. I play every evening so I get pretty frustrated and annoyed with them that way. But it's free so of course I try. NEVER won even $5 which is kinda sad. But I just retired now so for 40 years that I've played it is a little questionable that I've never won a dime, ya know? But I believe they are real and it's luck. I'll continue till I die to play I guess. You never know right?

After ordering a good many products I have been disappointed each time. The products are not worth the inflated price as it is but adding postage & handling makes it ridiculous. The shipping is inexpensive which leaves a remainer for handling a great profit. Products at The Dollar Store are of better quality & cheaper by $12 at least. My final order from PCH was a stainless steel container to store bacon grease; how could I be disappointed? The lid doesn't stay on, slides off at a touch. With shipping & handling I paid $26 for it. Then recently found a much larger, nicer 1 at Walmart for under $10!! As for winning anything... NEVER. They've sent notices saying that someone in my city has the winning # so I got excited considering the chance would then be 1 in 200,000. But if that were true it was certainly never publicized. I say IF it were true b/c around our area if you win big money in the lottery it is publicized that there has been a winner.

I think it's obvious the people in the PCH commercials are paid to do the commercials but certainly are not winners of PCH. It is my opinion that PCH should be shut down as clearly someone is receiving large amounts of money but it's certainly not the public. PCH is purposely misleading & seems to be getting more bold about their misleading language. I feel that for the facts of misleading the public about winning money, the below poor quality merchandise & the expensive shipping & handling, PCH needs to be shut down or at least closely monitored & corrected.

This Publishers Clearing House has been around for a long time. I remember many years ago receiving paperwork from them. I would immediately chuck it in the garbage. THIS IS BOGUS. The only $5k they have ever probably given out is to the idiots acting in their commercials. All they want is to entice you into buying magazines. Do not fall for this trap!!!!!

For 8 years I did the PCH games, searches, instant winner games. Twice I won a dice game instant winner and was given "sorry we are having technical issues." I contacted by email and never got a response back. And the tokens are a joke. If my token were cash I would have $ 2,284,535.00. Needless to PCH needs to revamp how they conduct their businesses.

I've been with your ordering company for years because you let me to believe each time that I could be the next winner. Or you send these checks as runner up but I still have to pay a lot. Or just recently you asked me to send $9.00 for I'm a runner up. Wow that's a joke. I believe now that's how you all make that money from people like me. And people are right. I don't even order some items but I send it back and I still get charge for it takes a long time for them to locate it. I give up finally for 2017.

I enter the sweepstakes and every 2 seconds I am now getting intrusions on my phone from Publishers Clearing House where there are pop-ups. I am seriously thinking of taking them to court for invasion of privacy.

I've been playing the Publishers Clearing House app for a long while now. They have this game called the wheel & whatever it lands on you wins twice amount, coins or $. I hit the $500 & stayed for a while but I guess it recognized that it hit the amount I stated earlier then started to spin after it done stopped on the $500 which would be 1,000 because it's twice the amount that it lands on. I always thought they were legit but found out totally different. What a joke & I will no longer play again & advise everyone else the same. Thanks for your time & now you've been warned.

Month after month, week after week and day after, emails about winning, I finally thought who actually wins all this money week, no one? It is so much money, where would they get it? It is like the lottery without the donations. It has to be a scam, there is nowhere to check out who actually wins, Just a way to give false hope to those who hope and a way to take up a lot of time every day with their stupid games.

After entering their contest I purchased some items. Figuratively speaking, 1 out of 10 products were either defective, not as advertised, or just overall a bad product. Kept getting bills after sending products back. I had to pay the postage to send the defective products back. Some that were clearing not worth the postage I paid. Now, go figure. I am in the credit department again with these guys. I know this is a scam, including you guys, because even you are trying to get more information from me. We will just see, when I start getting more crap in the mail. Not even the Better Business Bureau will do anything about the complaints. Let's see what you do...

I have been playing PCH for a number of years now, whether is the Search or the Lotto games, I have played almost all of them and of course have never won anything. I find it quite ludicrous to expect to win when after they send you a PCH sweepstakes to your email telling you that you must enter ASAP or you will forfeit the winning numbers, when before they actually draw the lucky numbers they are already sending you a different PCH contest to win which of course tells you that you did not win the previous one no matter how many times you have played the game.

In example: they send you a contest to win $10,000 dollars a week for life and you enter every single one and play every single game and they are always telling you or sending you contest games that if you do not enter at that moment you will forfeit the big prize. Yet, a week before they actually announce the big prize winner, and they are still sending you false hope about winning that contest, they are already sending you another $5000 dollar a week prize contest, which tells you that you did not win the previous one. So why keep on playing the game when there are people that just started playing and they are winning when the people that have been playing for more than 10 years have not seen one win come their way. Unbelievable!!

I won $10.00 dollars twice and a useless $5.00 dollar Amazon card. They notified me but a couple days ago I won a $1000.00 dollars on one of the games. Now they're playing dumb. It's nothing but a scam.

PCH is a scam. I recently contacted them online after seeing very negative views, questioning their legitimacy and they responded, stating that everyone has the same likelihood of winning and then the message rambled on that. However, I questioned them to please ease my mind and to possibly give me a citation of how their money prizes work. What organization supplies this $5000.00 a week for life or why none of the "winners" are seen outside of their commercials and they closed my message.

I then questioned how much they paid those individuals on the commercials and they disregarded my question. In my eyes, when an organization cannot answer simple questions with a truthful response, especially with their prior history of what is shown on their Wikipedia page, I suggest anyone who is trying to win money to waste their time and money elsewhere.

On September 17th, I was also one that received notice of winning 10,000.00. When I contacted them they said it was in error and apologized, and I was not happy. Also stated that I am seeking an attorney and would not hesitate to let any social media know. It is wrong to do that to people. They did offer me 50,000 tokens and 5 extra chances in another drawing in which I declined. I do feel they owe me the $10,000.00 that it said I won. It may have been an error on their part but in life when you make an error you own up to it. For days I sent them emails regarding this. They would send me the same reply every time regarding the issue being resolved.

Finally I sent one back. Told them this issue was not resolved and won't be unless they gave me the $10,000.00 they owe to me and unless they had something more to say not to send me no more duplicate replies. Since then I have not heard no more from them. I do have the winning notice screen shot on my phone and emails to back what I say. Do I feel they're legit? Not really anymore and I have been playing for many years. If there is an attorney out there that deals with this I would love to hear from them.

I really was looking forward to using my Robo Twist as I am old and can't open jars. It does not work. I tried several batteries but it still doesn't work. Would you send me another, asap. I didn't keep the order number but my CUSTOMER ID IS **. Thanks.

I get my orders just fine and I pay my bills but I put a hold on my payments on the other stuff because they keep sending me bills with everything I already paid, on and trying to double and triple payments for a while. I keep paying them until I pulled out my money order receipts and found out I was paying double and triple on the same bills I already paid, and this has been happening since the day I first started and I've told them until they got my bill straightened out I wasn't paying another dime so they sent the bill to the a collection Agency.

PCH does send out a lot of marketing items to try to entice you to buy. THAT is what their company does - It is a CLEARING house. They can't give away money if they don't make any! Other companies pay PCH to advertise and sell items for them. It is FREE to enter, but, yes, you have to scroll through the products - that's just the cost of entering. They never say you have to buy to enter - I've bought some things because I wanted to, I did not consider it to be a way to increase my chances of winning. However, you have to be aware of scammers pretending to be PCH. On October 31, 2016 I received a phone call at work from "Dave **" saying that I had won 2.5 million dollars! It took me by surprise, and I said, "Shut up, it is not!" And the odd sounding voice said, "Yes, Donna, you have won 2.5 million dollars." And I said "Shut up, I did not!" And then it dawned on me, I said, "Besides, PCH doesn't call people!"

The police were called and it was determined that it was a foreigner calling random numbers and trying to scam people out of money - having them buy gift cards and transferring money to him. They said he was known for getting very angry when people didn't play along. So I'm saying when you review PCH just make sure that you haven't been scammed by someone pretending to be PCH. And as far as never winning - how many people buy lottery tickets every single day and never win - it's a fact - there are going to be some people that never win! But, as for me, I'll keep looking through their products and entering their sweepstakes because I enjoy it.

As for PCH website games - I didn't play those very long - too time consuming. They're just not for me, but I'm sure some people enjoy them. Anyway, it's all free so I don't know what everyone's complaining about. I've been entering since about 1975 and I have never been sent something I didn't order or charged for something I didn't order. They do send the full bill, but if you look at it - it does give you the option to make a partial payment. If you look at their Facebook page they tell you over and over to watch out for fake PCH scams and that they would NEVER ask you for private information. Anyway, I think they're awesome!

I am constantly being billed for something I never received. Or maybe I am being billed for something I paid for previously. I ordered jewelry once. Paid for it even though, it turned my granddaughters neck green and rash appeared. Now they are saying I ordered more jewelry and owe $32.00. They should check their records. I never ordered anything else after the first incident.

I have been playing with PCH every day for over 3 years from Mexico. As of now nothing works. I have to go to hola vpn for the US to make it work. They say the rules state no international transaction allowed?

Ordered some batteries. Received notice from PCH ordered had shipped but FedEx shows a request for number but not shipped as of today 11/29/2016. Extremely poor service. They are requesting payment long before receiving order.

PCH is FREE. No one has to enter or play it. Like any company, their computer system can mess up. I play it constantly and have for years. And I've never won a dime. But c'mon! Its FREE. People are complaining about not winning. It's like the state lotto. It's luck of the draw. And people do win. My daughter won $40k on one scratch off. She played for years. If anyone should complain, complain to the US government. They withheld $13k of it.

PCH, once you click on any link, forces you into a long cycle of buying options, from cheap consumer products to magazines. They rely on people making a purchase, even though they prominently advertise "no purchase required". They know you will think you need to buy anything to 'win.' They NEVER send anything you order... nothing, ever! For that reason alone, they are a true SCAM and do not deserve to be allowed to solicit, pester, annoy respondents who know no better. STAY CLEAR OF ANY AND ALL PCH emails, especially the ones that try to get you to download a PCH LOTTO game. They re-sell your email and will hound you for life; eventually making you feel you're so special, only to trick you back into buying and getting NOTHING!

Extreme mental harassment online and in mail. Never won anything despite claim after claim that I have!! I suffer from extreme depression and this b.s. about winning money is very enticing and alluring to me as I live day-to-day financially. It is an extreme come-on baited with false delusions only to get you to buy some of the crap that they sell. I don't believe anyone has ever won anything ever and am extremely sick and tired of their selling a sick poor old man false hope for a better life for me. Please leave me alone!!

They try and trick people to buy something. I entered their sweepstakes and kept getting emails saying I had to do more. All those emails contained items they wanted me to purchase. I NEVER even indicated I was going to buy anything yet I get an email saying my order for pearls was confirmed. They can take their pearls and shove ‘em. I never ordered anything!

Publishers Clearing House Company Profile