1.33/5
Based on 115 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Publishers Clearing House

Founded in 1953, Publishers Clearing House is a multi-channel direct marketer of value-based consumer products and magazines. The company calls attention to its products by providing consumers entry for chance to win sweepstakes prizes. No purchase or payment is ever necessary to enter or win. Since 1967 the company has awarded over $228 million in prizes and awards. Consumers seeking direct assistance can contact PCH's customer service division, toll free, at (800) 645 9242.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 22, 2018

1701 Publishers Clearing House Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 22, 2018

I agree with the other reviews. I do not believe anyone truly wins. My grandmother played, my mother played and probably still does and I have been playing since back when it was paper entries that came in the mail and you had mail them back, with your order of course. Most of my family has played forever and believe me, we have a large family, you think someone would have at least won one of the hundred dollar prizes by now if this was legit. But it's a good way to waste an afternoon when it's not good weather to be outside or you're unable to do anything else, just for fun and no use of brain cells.

I doubt the legitimacy of the "winners list" but if you don't play you won't ever win if there is a real possibility. Hahahah. It's like any other game people choose to play to pass time, just something to do. If your hopes are up that you will be the big winner you are likely to be disappointed daily. But if you do it for fun with no expectations there are lot of different games to play to occupy you for hours.

Original review: April 22, 2018

I agree with the other consumer, I play every damn day and all I ever win is tokens. I also find it very hard to believe that out of at least 20 or scratch offs and other games that I play every day that I still haven't won a single cent, I mean even playing regular lottery games you can at least win a dollar or two. This never lets you win anything, and I don't believe them when they advertise that others have won, they must work for them!!!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 18, 2018

I've used millions of tokens that I've gotten and have never won anything with PCH's token exchange program for prizes. I'd like to know if anyone has ever won anything using tokens. I find it odd that I can spend a million tokens on one prize yet have never won that prize or any of the other prizes. I wrote them about the situation and did not receive a response. Do they make up the names of winners on their website? (It's always a first name and last initial only.) Who checks these things? Is the token prize drawing a hoax with made-believe names?

Original review: April 17, 2018

If you have nothing better to do, then PCH is a good way to waste your time. I have played periodically for several years, but haven't ever won anything. The games and sweepstakes get too repetitious after awhile. Everything about PCH is clearly rigged, and your chances of even winning giveaways with your tokens just doesn't happen. I was once determined to win with over millions of tokens, but after attempting to redeem most of my tokens for certain giveaways and not getting a thing, I quickly realized that my time would be better spent going to the casino. Sure, it costs money, but your odds of winning are almost guaranteed to happen compared to PCH's odds.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I ordered a solar lighthouse by mail from a PCH flyer that I received by mail. The flyer stated that I could purchase it for four payments of $4.99 each. When I received my bill, almost $8 had been added for shipping and handling, which was mentioned nowhere in the flyer. It was a bait and switch. I notified PCH by email of their error. They said that I ordered it online, which I didn't, and the S&H was disclosed online. It was an outright lie. They finally made a correction "for this one time only" as if I was mistaken, which I wasn't. PCH obviously scams clients into paying more for an advertised product. I feel that many clients are taken advantage of, especially the elderly.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Publishers Clearing House?

Original review: April 14, 2018

Regarding everyone whom complained about the instant wins, you're correct, the games are rigged. Read the rules to the games, instant win, scratch offs, etc. Even though the games are called "Instant" "Wins" there is nothing instant nor winnable about them. Only on certain dates and a split second on those days does PCH allows a win. Scratch offs for example. It's April yet the scratch off rules states no one playing the scratch offs will win a money prize until June when the timer lets the system know to let one person win that day. That means until then no one will win anything except tokens and only for a split second on the winning dates. These games are not set by chance as the law requires. PCH should get rid of these games or change the names seeing as it's false advertising and illegal.

Original review: April 9, 2018

PCH is a ripoff. The instant win games are a joke. Tokens are the only thing they allow you to "win". Not once have I won as much as a dollar! I can go up street and buy a real lottery ticket and have actually won some money. Can't win anything from PCH! Every day I get "urgent" email from them stating that I am close to winning, which is a lie! I've been playing along for years but now I've had enough. Everyone should contact the BBB, describe your experiences on Twitter, Facebook and everywhere else to expose these frauds! PCH is a huge waste of time!

Original review: April 8, 2018

When I playing on 4 different games, but I just found out two of type games are fake which never wins it all. Also "error message tech" means that you will NOT win something like $3,000.00 or $5,000.00 game card. Beware that ads banner came on with MALWARE and VIRUS file itself upload to your PC. Just use the Ad blocker. Stay away that scam, malware, etc. It is true, PCH wants hurt your PC damaged. If you trying to win a 1 million dollar game with order, Just do skip the order nothing, they accept to earn the tokens that it all. As I order one at time and look up the item with price and search. Yes they all made from CHINA items. They look like $1.00 store items and PCH gives you rip off price like $11.99 each items but one thing "You pay shipping costing each one items $5.95." That not free shipping. Be warned. Dont spend too much your money.

Original review: April 8, 2018

I’m reviewing because I can’t understand how anyone with a full time job and family would have the time to complete the endless request to play every day. I own a business and it was ridiculous to try to keep up to it. Then it says it will end this date and then it keeps going for months. I had way over 10,000,000 tokens. Sunk them all into a few one of the gift certificates I wanted to win and got nothing. I never won a thing on any of the games. And once it landed on money and instead it gave me tokens. Really this company makes you sick of it and after 3 months of playing with no incentive, I quit. Not worth it to a productive human being with a family.

Original review: April 5, 2018

Recently ordered an item from PCH and anxiously looked forward to it. When I checked out they informed me that a "FREE" item was added to this order. Great! I actually "won" something--right? Wrong. The shipping and handling was enormous. When the items arrived the free cutlery was cheaply and dangerously "Made In China" and was not worth the almost $10.00 I paid to receive it! My entire bill came to $32.96 and the website said "Billable in Four (4) Easy Payments." I went on the website and guess what? There is NO OPTION online to pay in installments. So, I wrote PCH to ask why/how? I was advised by the CSR "You can't do installments online. You have to call in to do that." I've called to make my payments and now I only have one left to finish off.

Here's the rub: Even after I made payment by phone with the CSR I received an email with big block letters "We hope you're enjoying your PCS products. Please PAY YOUR BILL NOW!" What the what? This was a few days [after] I'd already paid and the money taken out of my account. I said all that to say I will never enter another PCH contest. I will never buy another product from them. Most of the stuff they offer can be purchased from other vendors--online as well as offline. They overcharge for the products and they sting the consumer with ridiculous shipping and handling fees. The "FREE" products they toss in are junk.

I will no longer accept emails or snail mail from them. Instead? Find their products in "As Seen on TV" displays where you shop regularly. The other options are second-hand stores and dollar stores. Do your due diligence and stop allowing them to bait and switch you. Note: Their magazine offers are a trick bag. The fine print tells the customer that after the initial "low rate" period the price for the magazines will go up to the regular price "using the method of payment of record." In other words--the customer is going to be billed much more than what was originally advertised by PCH. Never again, folks. Not under any circumstance will I do business with this company.

Original review: March 31, 2018

I'm mad because of 2 reasons!!! 1. Sending me things I never ordered with a bill, telling me to pay. Which I call them to tell them I'm not paying for it cause I didn't order it. Well now I have to pay them to send it back? I think not. 2. In writing tell them to take me off mailing address and email address still I get them tell me just one more step to become the next winner. BS. Sorry??? I have heard that for years now. And still even on a fixed income they get me in. Well this time I'm mad. Got a bill for 2/3 hundred dollars for stuff I didn't order or never got. Yes I am mad to the fullest. What do I do now? Scared that it will go on my credit report.

Original review: March 28, 2018

So, I read a lot. One thing, I noticed over time was my entry numbers. I noticed no one noticed this yet. My entry numbers seem to be colliding with other people on their blog page. 1100, 1076 etc. I thought that seems weird. So then, I thought maybe these are numbers that won't win or a group of numbers to win with addresses but when I would go back to my emails I would noticed these were Search or Play numbers without addresses attached or anything. My eyes opened up. This can't be real when you actually add it all up in your head.

There is no way Susan, Gerald and I can have the same entry numbers as the each other from different states and when that 7000 a week for life. No way. If that isn't enough to convince you, think of this as well. I am an VIP Elite. SUPPOSED to be top 5% BUT when you read others' post they say top 3%! Why would someone lie about a simple percentage like that? No way.

Original review: March 26, 2018

I have been completing the PCH emails messages for several years. During that time I have purchased several items. The program state, "YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BUY ANYTHING TO PLAY THE GAMES OR SUBMIT FOR A POSSIBLE PRIZE." Now if that is TRUE why do you send me nasty emails that I did not purchase anything while sending in my submission. You should change your mission goals to Competing with Amazon to SELL the MOST Stuff. This is MUCH more true of your company goals and accomplishments. Go to the US Commerce Department and state this as the real fact.

I NEVER SEE the prizes that you CLAIM are coming out periodically. You advertise to submit NOW and be entered into the prize being awarded n April 15th!!! NOT TRUE. Also MANY of your products ARE NOT Bargains. You can get that product for much less expenses than what you charge. And it is NOT the shipping fees. It is the BASE price which is TOO HIGH. STOP IT.

Original review: March 24, 2018

I play PCH games every single day. There is this one called Prize Grabber and every time I pick up money it falls back down but when it grabs a present I get a way to go. PCH cheats you when playing the games. I notice every time I play the Hot to Trot game and Lighting Lab racing game. My car or animal always comes in last place. Then I don’t think it really be money in none of the briefcases when playing that game???

Original review: March 24, 2018

PCH goes overboard on the number of email it sends to an individual on a daily basis. Many of these supposed "contests" are you used to keep you the running for their annual prize drawing. In reality these same contests are a ploy to get you to purchase goods from other companies. It goes beyond ridiculous and I find it ultimately harassing!!! I'll never enter another PCH contest again!!!

Original review: March 17, 2018

I have 3 orders that I wanted from PCH. I have not gotten any but I do have confirmation they got them after calling and talking with them. I have still not received them. It has been over a month. They have no problem sending you things to enter their sweeps and beg you to place a order. Why would I place an order when I cannot get them. I do not have a order number number.

Original review: March 16, 2018

I have been playing the PCH sweepstakes online since 2005 and this has proved to be a HUGE mistake! This company is NOTHING but a pack of lies, false promises, false hope, switch and bait artists, and last but CERTAINLY NOT least con artists! I ordered two merchandise items and I am paying the bill this week but it will be THE LAST time I ever order from them! I recently had to file a complaint with my state attorney general because I played PCH slot tournament last Saturday and they ripped me off big time!!! It clearly said in the pay table that if you got three, four, or five instant winner symbols you win tokens and $750.

Well this is not the case. I sent them a screenshot and well let me tell you they said, "Oh we are sorry for the mixup. You did not win money. You only won tokens!" What a crock!! That is scamming at its finest and a true example of the bait and switch! I called to complain to them and when I told them they were reported to the NY State Attorney General they hung up on me! Well if you cannot handle the truth then oh well.

A few years ago, NY State along with several other states in the US and I think Canada got involved too, sued PCH for their dishonest business practices!!! I have contacted the attorney general with the complaint and also have e-mailed them all the e-mails PCH has sent me trying to get me to come back. Well that is harassment!!! So all I have to say is PCH is fake as are the winners! It's a scam and a lie!!! Don't even waste your money or time with them!!! You DO have to buy something in order to enter! That is very dishonest! Also when I called to complain they said people win the money at set times on the slots. That is VERY VERY VERY dishonest and that is also a form of cheating! Like I stated, DO NOT waste your time with them or order from them. The reason for my review is I was scammed and am disgusted with the company.

Original review: March 16, 2018

I am VIP elite top 3 percent. I've won 50 dollars BUT I'm always on the list to win something. Tokens no. I've never won anything. I wrote them 2 years ago and ask them why I've never won. They sent me a 10 dollar check.

Original review: March 15, 2018

I received payment confirmation for my magazine order on 2/5/18. When the magazine hadn't arrived 3 weeks later, I called PCH and was told it could take 4-5 weeks to get it. When it still hadn't come after 6 weeks I called PCH again. This time I was told I should get it in late April or early May. That's ridiculous. 3 months to get a magazine? I'll never order from them again.

Original review: March 13, 2018

Listen, I've been using PCH for years! Since 2007! I've always entered through their site, I even ordered something before hoping I would win something. I've seen people entering since the 90's! and complain about never winning a penny, it's so sad. I would even get letters in the mail claiming I'm a top contender to win a big prize and to enter through a site and still NOTHING. I stopped entering little by little and then I just gave up and stopped, the more I see people "win" the more fake and rehearsed it seems, I just don't believe these wins are real, I truly believe PCH just use people's money for their own benefits. When will PCH just shut down already? People who get told they won a prize never receive it either. The token system is a joke, you never benefit anything from it.

Original review: March 13, 2018

The games are all preprogrammed and rigged. No chance is involved. And they are not very good at it. After you play for a while it is so repetitive that you can predict the outcome. They get away with it because it's free. They say you don't have to purchase to win ~ but look at the veiled threats when you don't purchase. In addition, it is a boring time waster...

Original review: March 12, 2018 October of 2017 I ordered a magazine. Received the bill in November 2017 and wrote a check for $7.99 and mailed it on 11/30 2017. Received a notice payment was past due in December 2017. I called PCH and notified them that I had sent a check weeks ago. After TWO more letters stating that I was overdue, threatening to take action. I called and cancelled my Martha Stewart prescription. Several weeks I ordered another product but received no confirmation. Guess what, today 3/12/2018 my bank cleared the original check for $7.99 (from 11/2017) and sent me a "your order is on its way" for the unrecognized order from

weeks ago.

I've ordered from this company in three states over at least 20 years. Called customer service to complain and was told that my check written 5 FIVE months ago must have been lost. My point, why not threaten jail time to great customers over $7.99 then just blow it off and decide to sent something I ordered weeks ago after multiple calls and a "oh well" too bad. I will NEVER buy from PCH again. Mary ** with pissed off from Montana.

Original review: March 8, 2018

Your games pages are always slow & unresponsive. I'm sick of the constant barrage of ads between every game. Products & services are one thing, but politicians, ie. David Reis? I'm sick & tired of seeing his face all over my screen while I'm playing my game; top, bottom, sides, 2 ads at the same time sometimes. Also, your $10,000 ball bounce game is total BS. Completely IMPOSSIBLE to win even $100 much less $10,000.

And search & win, Pressure to constantly buy something every day several times a day or I'm threatened to forfeit any chance of winning. I bought many things from you in the past & kept receiving bills for things I already paid for. I'm poor, retired & living on $800 a month. Can't afford to buy anything, Don't have any need for what you sell & the claim you don't have to buy anything to win as far as I'm concerned is more BS. I'll be happy to buy something just as soon as I win some real money. In the meantime your star rate is 0 as far as I'm concerned.

Original review: March 7, 2018

PCH says no purchase necessary, yet they bombard you with offers. You get to the end and it says your cart is empty, please order something; take a second look and other pleas. I have ordered several times from them, and never won anything on their contests. I do not believe there are any winners of any PCH contests. They build you up, then throw you down.

Original review: March 7, 2018

Do NOT use these scammers! They steal returns and claim they did not receive them! They are often a month late on shipping so by the time the item has arrived, I purchased another gift and sent their junk back but they expect you to pay for shipping no matter what. They have the cheapest junk, like spatulas that melt when you are using the spatula to turn over food, lovely plastic in the food. They sell women's cosmetics and lotions that contain chemicals that lead to endocrine toxicity and have been reported to cause cancer. They send 'free' cookies and charge $25+ for shipping and I did not request them because I am allergic! This company is abusive, overpriced and does not deliver on time but you pay maximum delivery charges! Corrupt to the max. I want my money back for the items I returned.

Original review: March 7, 2018

This is directed to PCH executives. You claim that no purchase is necessary to win. I am not a gullible 68 year old male. The truth is, if I don't buy anything, PCH does NOT give you added entries. The less you buy, the less entries you get in your sweepstakes. PCH PUNISHES YOU if you don't buy something. I am sick of it. Your token games including slots is a total waste of time. I have been a active participant since September 2016 and have NEVER won anything redeeming tokens much less winning sweepstakes. My window is closing since I am almost 70. I want to travel during my retirement but I can't afford it. I am getting a part time job. That is real world. PCH is just a pipe dream and only people up east and midwest win. Well how about that! Since PCH is in NEW YORK, it is cheaper travel expense to stay close to your home base. Don't tell me it is just a coincidence. ** PCH! I am done.

Original review: March 2, 2018

Pathetic programs run by Spectrum - Their games are pathetic, tons of error messages that say they are experiencing technical problems while you wasted your time trying to win the total points for the day and it keeps bombing out so you can't play the game and gain points. Pathetic, don't waste your time with this dumb site, their ads never bomb out but their games do, GO FIGURE.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018 Ordered two products because of a five dollar discount on each. No shipping cost was stated, so I assumed it was free like many other offers online. Of course I was being stupid thinking that way, but thought shipping charges must be disclosed by law. Several days after the order I got an online bill for the products which included a shipping charge which completely wiped out all of the "sale" savings. One of the items is available at my local Walmart for less if you include shipping.

Even when I look up the order details now there is no statement of shipping charges, but a disclaimer that states "Note that additional S&H and Tax charges are not displayed for item(s)."??? Why? Are they ashamed of the charges? Note: The shipping is VERY slow, it has been 13 days and still no items.

Updated on 3/11/2018: This is an update of a previous review. My first review was a complaint about high/unstated shipping charges and slow shipping. The Red Copper Pan has finally arrived and the original factory plastic cover had been removed and just thrown in with the pan. Also the pan had scratches on the bottom like it had been dropped and it and the packaging were covered with dust. Also I made the mistake of thinking that this was a induction ready pan because of the high price and the fact that most of these "copper" type pans are made for induction.

The offer said it was a $29.99 value "on sale for $24.99" and later they billed me for over $5.00 for shipping. I can go down the street to my big box store and get a non-induction pan for under $20.00. I have switched all of my stovetop cooking to induction only and should have checked for the induction ready label before ordering, so that was my fault, but I paid about $31.00 for a $20.00 pan. Don't trust them because of the fancy hyped offers that you are getting a good deal from PCH. It would cost me $14.00 in postage to send it back, so I will give it to another family member.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I have entered for 10 yrs and I am a VIP elite any more. VIP elite is not even worth one cent and then you send, "Oh we could be coming to your home". You build up hope and then drop you down. I have been entering ever since my parents took out the reverse mortgage. Hope I win and then I would not be out on the street when my parents are gone. I am disabled so what do I have to look forward to is living on the streets. Then you tell me that you are coming to the home, my father has passed. Next is my mom. She was so sorry that they did it. I was built up to believed that I would win from each of your email.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

I have been entering these sweepstakes for many years and have never won but keep playing, today 2-21-2018 I got another entry that said I was entered into the 5000 a week forever prize. Well I opened it for I was going to fill it out and send it back as I always do and I gotten to notice that it says the deadline was 02-20-2018 REALLY? This is past the deadline. So I chatted with a customer rep by the name of Meagen and she said, "Sorry some was sent out late but I could send it in anyway" and they would enter me for the next drawing. Hmmm ok, sounds a little fishy to me don't it?

Well to my reply to her I told her to take me off their address list and never send me anything again because all they want is for you to buy something and not give anything in return. Been wondering where they get all this money they give away. Think about, is this for real? Na I don't think so. Just my opinion and I hope that no one else falls victim to this years and years of scam.

Publishers Clearing House Company Information