1.33/5

Publishers Clearing House

Founded in 1953, Publishers Clearing House is a multi-channel direct marketer of value-based consumer products and magazines. The company calls attention to its products by providing consumers entry for chance to win sweepstakes prizes. No purchase or payment is ever necessary to enter or win. Since 1967 the company has awarded over $228 million in prizes and awards. Consumers seeking direct assistance can contact PCH's customer service division, toll free, at (800) 645 9242.

1757 Publishers Clearing House Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I bought a DVD from PCH they charge high prices and real high shipping. I ordered a John Wayne DVD and they sent Red Skelton. I sent the bill back and told them and a copy of the bill that Had John Wayne on it. They sent a letter back and said, "We will send you another Red Skelton DVD." WHAT? Nobody probably ever WINS and what you see on TV are just paid people. I am through with these crooks and thieves. They say you can pay in payments but they sent me a letter and said they would charge me a late charge of $4.50.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Beware of PCH's promise to send you money when you win a simple scratch off for $5,000.00 or any contest you venture into. The headlines saying they have winners is bogus. After signing the entry as directed, placing in the proper envelope, mailing the entry before the due date to the correct address with my return address. I received no money after many searches for 7 years, calls and emails, they denied my claim and I told them they were frauds. Never send me mail again or email but they are relentless.

I consider them a virus and a Trojan horse, and a worm in my computer and have filed them into my trash and have them as a part of the cleaning that my security does weekly, but, they continue to come back. I recently sent them a rather nasty email and they had the nerve to serve up another way to get more games to win the money. It is an algorithm is all I can figure. I have gone deeply and unsubscribed and it stops for a while, but like a bad pimple it returns.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I entered my mother in for the "$2,000 a week for life" contest on PCH.com. A few weeks later, my mother starts getting phone calls and mail stating that she has won. My mother is elderly and believes every word of it. She first paid a "search fee" via mail. Then she was being hit up for "taxes" on the millions, the scammers want $1,200 paid to them upfront. I tell her and tell her it is a scam, but because she was entered in the PCH contest, she thinks it is real. This terrible company should be ASHAMED that they are scamming elderly people. They can try to pretend they are not in on the scams, but my mother does not get online and I am the one who entered her personal info in the "legitimate" site at PCH.com just prior to this mess starting. Nobody had my mother's private information except PCH. I think they may be selling information or have a side "business" of hustling elderly people out of their money.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

I always get Publishers Clearing House info just to review. Well, this morning I actually selected a couple items and continued thru the process of submitted my entry and all of a sudden I had purchased the items without knowing how much shipping was or taxes. I tried calling, no one picks up on Sunday's, I tried to cancel online but requires that I have an account number which I do not get till my order comes. They say it's on all communications I get, not true. They also say they expedite orders... so by tomorrow not sure I will be able to cancel.

I hate I can't see summary of an order before I decide... with all costs. Plus I need customer friendly way to cancel an order any time. I really do not like PCH. I expect most people just accept whatever... because it becomes so much work to just figure out what is going on with order especially if you want to change. Do not buy from PCH... not consumer friendly. They provide no easy way to communicate or cancel an order. What a scam.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

After 20 yrs. entering PCH and buying products I've had it. If anyone wins it is few and far between. Is there any way we can get together and sue this company for all the postage and time and effort we have put on to get nothing in return? Isn't this false advertising? I am so disappointed. Sometimes sending off 15 envelops where they each have a different address. Not anymore. I've had it with these phony people.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Publishers Clearing House?

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I have been mailing and playing more and more PCH games. I used to order for years but the items are very cheap for the money. They hook you in with the tokens to win a gift card. I tried for 5 years playing games and sending in my emails that would urgently say you better put in your entry or you may lose the big prize. We have less odds at PCH than at regular lotto scratch off or numbers. I have won 50 times 2 dollar, 15 4 dollar and 10,000 winning. PCH is a scam. Thank you for taking up hours of our lives just to play your scam apps. Unacceptable.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

I have been playing PCH online token games since August 2011. I won about $90 from 2011 to 2013. I only ever won on their Facebook pages. They no longer have any significant presence on Facebook and haven't since 2016. I can't prove it but I think Facebook diminished their presence. I'm currently running two web accounts. I only play games that pay out $100,000.00 or more. I use an ad blocker to kill their commercials and website posting ads. The practical upshot is it saves my bandwidth from unnecessary garbage downloaded and really saves time on hitting their games and then getting out.

I play about 3 hours a day. I've not won anything since September of 2013. That was a $5.00 gift code for Amazon. I might buy something from them twice a year. I play, I think I'm a fool. I dropped 100,000,000. tokens trying to win a $500.00 prepaid credit card. And didn't win crap!!! If it wasn't for the fact that I'm disabled and have nothing better to do with my time I would quit. Death is looking better and better all the time. Is PCH a scam? Probably.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I had a friend who passed away. Played PCH token game for years. He had 396 Million before he died. We used his tokens like he requested. All of them on gift cards. Did not win a thing. This is a SCAM!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

I have been playing for about 12 yrs. haven't won a damn thing. I have tried to find out about big winners. Can't find out about the so called big prize. I don't think there is a big one. They just lead people on to buy their cheap ** products. They tell you no numbers match you could still win then all of a sudden it has expired **. I think it's all a BIG SCAM!!!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

PCH is not allowed to run a scam of this magnitude. I have the same frustrations as most of you. I do believe there are loopholes that they use to avoid awarding prizes from their online games! I mean to play a game & then see the object you are tossing, throwing suddenly take a turn when it gets close to the goal-that's rigging! You don't have to order anything to win, that's actually against the law. So to you who are frustrated from ordering items, that isn't going to help you win. With this many complaints they should be thoroughly investigated or have the decency to respond themselves!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

This so-called website is nothing more than a ploy to pawn off cheaply made and inferior merchandise at inflated prices; at even higher shipping costs. The games are, as I see them, programmed (rigged) by either very sophisticated software designed to award certain points at given times and virtually never give the player a chance at winning any actual money. There are times when a player even loses points because of their so-called "technical difficulties." That is pure hogwash. PCH management reminds me of carnival hawkers selling snake oil to unsuspecting people looking for a cure. In this case, they falsely raise hopes of the vast majority of their players with their silly games. The use of advertising is relentless, redundant and extremely repetitive creating, for me at least, a very negative attitude toward the advertiser.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I have been playing on the PCH website for a few years, racking up 26,000,000 tokens. I have turned the tokens in towards all kinds of merchandise from a $25 Amazon card to a Ford truck. All I have ever won was a lousy $10.00 check! They have sent me items I didn't order that I had to pay to ship back and all their anti-wrinkle creams make my face break out. Their merchandise is cheap and can be bought at Walmart for a lot less money. They prey on people's hopes and dash them at every turn. I get about ten emails a day from them saying I am so close to winning! Yeah, right.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I've been playing the online games for 2-3 years now. My token count is 90,000,000. Never won a dime, but $10.00. What a damn JOKE. PCH should be ashamed, what a SCAM. Read all the other reviews, looks like everyone fell into their devious traps. These games are rigged for no wins just TOKENS. Lol, PCH is a fond memory for me. I no longer receive their crazy emails or play any more games. Got better things to do with my precious time...

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

WOW: 30 million tokens, WINS (0). PCH goes up to 300 Million... can you imagine the time spend. For those at that level, you deserve to WIN but not from an addiction standpoint but from it being a hobby and fun. Good Luck to ALL.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

It is ironic that I have been submitting entries since 1979. Since Ed McMahon, before he starred in Star Search, I was a fan of the postcards and PCH mailings. My father had seen that I was responding and told me that I had to be 18 years old in order to win. I told him one day I will be, until then I was going to continue to submit my entries in hopes they would recognize my name. Now it is 47 years later, I've earned over 1,000,000,000.00 tokens during my participation, to have had them taken mysteriously. I went from the platinum, down to a blue stone, yes this is a gimmick. PCH something has to give.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

Been playing PCH 4 years, they were formed in 1954 but didn't pay any money for 17 years. They average paying 2 million per year, so figure the millions playing versus millions they promise, don't add up. A good example is the Ford truck, ever hear or see it posted won, the houses you are suppose to win, have you saw or heard anyone posted on PCH website that won? They announced in a small town 30 miles from my home, I worked for a utility company, PCH showed a winner of 1,000,000 dollars, even announced the florist they bought her flowers from, I went to florist shop, owner said he knew nothing about PCH and they hadn't been in his shop. I searched our utility records for someone by the name posted, never found anyone by that name.

They even had the street where this took place, I ask everyone that lived on that street if they saw a PCH van making an award, never found anyone who saw them. So you see they claim there are more millions playing PCH than plays lottery, but think about it, if PCH only pays out 2 million per year, Powerball pays out that much every 3 days, so they claim your odds at PCH is like winning money is 1 in 112,000,000. At least Powerball, it's 1 in a few million, and the prizes are extreme in the lottery compared to PCH, $10 $20 winners they post each day, and if you watch 90% of winners are from up east or California. I think they have offices both places and use employees' names and address, also go to FB when they show a winner's name in a certain town, you will never find anybody by that name and if you do they never post anything about winning anything playing PCH.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

NEVER won a THIN DIME! EVER! I started out as a teenager, filling out my Mom's entries. I had it down to a fine art, and could do it in less than a minute! It was the same every time. NOW, I get at least TWO emails per day, and do my searches, and quickly scroll down to fill it out in less than a minute. It too, is always the same. I scroll down so fast, I only see a blur of the products. Lol. I also use the tokens and have used MILLIONS on one thing, a Canon camera I want. To date, NEVER won a SINGLE thing. I hate it!

They've started telling me, I no longer qualify to play, because I never buy anything. I KNOW this is their attempt to stop me from playing, as it is against the law to actually do it. It allows me to play as always. It's really just a waste of time. Time you can't get back! I get my blows in when I can, I "googled" this Consumer Affairs Website from one of their "search" buttons. I also enjoy "googling" highly Conservative topics on their "search buttons. I know they hate it. Makes me feel better about their wasting my time and getting my hopes up!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

PCH requires you to do too much clicking on their gameplay, such as click on "play now" then 'reveal now" or clicking on "begin" then "reveal" and "continue" after each game. And they want you to do this for each and every game you play. It's a scam because a person won't spend 18 hours a day on their site and then make you look through the products they want you to buy. It's just a ploy to get your money.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I play PCH all the time online, and I won four times, small amounts, not any major sweepstakes yet, but I wish, first time I won $50, then $20, then $250 then $10. And if you got asked to send money in order to receive a cash winning, then it wasnt PCH, your contents got into the wrong hands somewhere and some con artist is trying to rip you off. So take the word from someone who has took those PCH checks to Walmart and got them cashed, PCH is real.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Back in April of 2018 they sent me a email claiming I won the big prize only to see it was announced to someone else in Florida. They denied the email came from them even though it was sent from their website. I had an account with their webpage and I know now they are fake. A fraud who lied to me. I think the commercials we see on tv are paid actors pretending to win. I want nothing to do with that phony company ever again. They should be sued for phony advertising and sent to prison!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

They keep sent me messages saying I'm going to be forfeited cuz I'm not trying and I've mailed in from the start to enter and every single time I try to play it cuts it off. I mean each time and just did while ago and said having technical problems. I'd have to try again. Not once have been able to play and even got the PCH app and it wouldn't ever work either. Thank you.

Original review: July 30, 2018

I have been playing their games for years, winning tokens. I have "redeemed" millions of tokens for gift cards, but won nothing. They bombard me with e-mail every day. I have stopped reading through those that show an ad, followed by another ad from which you can get a $30 "mystery gift" free, and pay only the shipping for that "gift". I never want those mystery gifts. They are puzzle magazines, very small, and not worth more than a dollar a piece. I hate word search puzzles. In these ads, you are reminded of the mystery gift offer, which means you have to click "no" twice - once to place no order, and again to decline the lousy mystery gift.

This ad type also has a target game to find out what discount you can get for magazines. Followed by ads for skin care products, and then they want you to play a series of scratch-off games. If you read the ad through and stop at the scratch-offs, they send you an e-mail to say that you stopped too soon. This type of ad is very annoying! I have gotten into the habit of leaving the ad as soon as I see the mystery gift offer. I am really fed up with PCH. It is a huge waste of time.

Original review: July 28, 2018

Seems to be no one to report a scam too. Suppose no one cares, that's why it keeps happening. Keep getting a scam call about Publishers Clearing House second place winner. The scammer's phone number is **. Robert **. Wants me to pay 1% of winning at a Walmart store. Then I will get a check. Never entered so I could not possibly win. Also I will not pay one cent to such a scam. If nothing else, tell other people about the scam. Thank you.

Original review: July 26, 2018

I have been entering the sweeps and trying to buy things with tokens for 6 years and nothing. If you go to the small print Official Rules, it contradicts itself... First it says: A limit of one online entry per day is allowed per individual and per email address for each separate online promotion unless otherwise specified. Then in the next paragraph it says: You may submit as many entries as you would like for this promotional Giveaway.

So which is it? One entry per day or as many as you like? We could be throwing away all our tokens if we enter multiple times in a day, or not entering more times a day if we are allowed to. The program lets you enter as much as you want, so none of the instructions makes any sense. If you are truly only allowed to enter each giveaway once, then why does the program allow you to do more than that? They need to make their instructions clearer. We have to watch dozens of boring ads in order to win tokens, so the least they can do is be clear about entering their giveaways. This whole thing borders on fraud the way it is worded.

Original review: July 20, 2018

This is sort of a question about PCH but also a review... I've been on their website for a while and I had millions of tokens and decided, 'Might as well spend them on something'. So I literally wasted tons of tokens and entered for gift cards about 200 times each and I haven't won once... I'm seriously considering this is rigged. Am I right? Or am I wrong? I was wondering if anyone actually got anything from them... I do get the catalog though and mail from them and once they asked me for my security number and maybe it was someone else spamming me. But I really wish PCH was the real deal.

Original review: July 19, 2018

I happened to see a CD for the Drifters and the Platters with all of their greatest hits in PCH catalog pages so I ordered it. It arrived in a nice cover that says "The Drifters" on one side of the front cover and the "Platters" on the other side. I was all ready to send them a check when I decided to play one CD to make sure it was "really" them. When I opened the cover I saw 2 CDs that were blank except for the name of the group and a logo for "Direct Source" which apparently burns CDs for PCH. When I played it I knew immediately it WAS NOT the original group. Looking at the little window when the CD opens it said sung by Georges ** and Jimmy ** whoever they are!!

When I called to complain about this and spoke to "Mimi" she told me she would send another CD pack in 2 to 3 weeks. I told her that wouldn't do any good because it still wouldn't be the real singers and she said it would be. I refused to get another set sent and just advised I wouldn't be paying for this set. After her repeating that she would send another set and my refusals she told me I could give it to charity or keep it. No need to return it. If I get a bill to just disregard it. (You are my witnesses!)

So I asked her what her name was and she hesitated and said "Mimi." Then I asked her where she was located. She promptly asked me "is there anything else I can help you with?" I said, "Yes tell me where you are located". She would not answer the question. Next thing I heard was the original recording of PCH. Grrrr!! How can you work for a company that so clearly scams people and get mad at the people who are calling? I would love to know of anyone who actually won one of their contests. Beware of what you are ordering and don't send money until you know your purchase is exactly what you ordered and it works!

Original review: July 19, 2018

PCH is deceptive. You never win nothing but tokens. They send you tons of email everyday stating "Don't forfeit your prize of cash" whatever the amount is. So you have to click on it to enter. By then they are getting you to play all these games for cash but NONE of the games are cash prizes. ALL Of them are only tokens. Then you have to enter tokens for a chance to win a gift card. Variable gift cards with so many tokens you have to enter. You can enter all your tokens and never win. It is rigged.

You are also hit with tons of advertisement between each game. They want you to search and use ONLY their search engine every day. Each search gives you tokens but leads you to nothing on the search engine every time you click on something to have to keep searching. That alone they should be sued over! I actually did win a couple of games that was suppose to be a cash prize but it ended up giving me tokens. That is their way of making you think you have won. PCH has been around for years yet the gov has not shut them down. Something needs to be done about it. PCH can not keep deceiving people like this.

Now they have posted odds of winning because they were sued, etc. however their odds of winning are probably zero in all actuality. They also give you a Winner's List but there's no way to contact a winner even if they supposedly won $500. How do you know the Winner's List is not made up. There are all kind of ways that they are deceiving people by these games and by email and by the search engine alone. There have been many people to speak up about PCH. Supposedly PCH was recently sued. I am thinking about starting my own lawsuit against this place myself. It is not right for companies to be able to get away with this.

Original review: July 16, 2018

PCH E-mails are disruptive and annoying, every day and almost every minute of every day there is some form of e-mail sent stating "YOU MUST DO THIS!", "DO THIS NOW!", "Immediate attention required!" or "Immediate action needed now!" or YOU WILL BE DISQUALIFIED for "x" prize mentioned in the e-mail. And no matter how many times you click on the offending action they want you to do, you then have to go through so many hoops. It's just not worth it, you end up wasting nothing but time you could be using for other activities, like cleaning your house, going out to lunch or a movie with family or friends, going to a mall, anything, but wasting time on game that you will never win!

I can't recall the name of the current game they have where you click on a circle to launch a ball to win either a specific amount of tokens or possibly $10,000.00 cash. This game IS RIGGED and my experience with it was just that, the ball literally landed and stopped in the holder that shows I'd win $10,000.00 cash, but what happened next, the ball LITERALLY JUMPED out and landed in a lower level, offering me tokens. I think it was 250, maybe 500. But by all rights, I SHOULD HAVE WON that cash. Then on the football game, you pick a player. He kicks the ball and what happens, right as the ball is heading DIRECTLY between the goalposts, it looks like it has already gone between them, then it swerves and goes off to the left or right of the goalposts! Definitely rigged as far as I'm concerned.

I used to write software and I know that it's entirely possible to make a game "CHEAT" folks out of lives, extra's or anything else in a game. The coders of the games PCH.COM uses SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF THEMSELVES for coding games in such a manner. As another stated, the race car and horse race game are 2 more examples of this, you will always come in 4th or 5th, never less than 4th place, yet, I picked a car and it crossed the finish line FIRST, then the game dropped that car back and it came in 4th.

I also ordered 2 items from PCH.COM, paid in full up front, I never got to make payments as they claim, combined my payment as one, 1 item has been shipped thus far, waiting for 2nd item to ship, paid twice for shipping, why can't PCH COMBINE shipments when they TAKE FULL PAYMENT and combine that with shipping so you only pay one small shipping fee instead of 2. Been tracking the package since it was shipped, 4 days later and the FedEx they used for shipping shows the package HAS NOT MOVED at all!

Makes me wonder if I'll ever see the two items I purchased, and they always force you into scrolling through everything, at least FIVE PAGES of product BEFORE you can get the SUBMIT ENTRY, and then they tend to hit you up with a special and you have to go through the same process of FIVE PAGES of PRODUCT again! You should be able to submit entry from PAGE 1 of this, since they always claim: {no purchase necessary to win!}. Another load of malarkey as far as I am concerned. You better off to buy things direct from the manufacturer, as I've actually and literally found the same products CHEAPER there and sometimes even with free shipping!

And that's another thing that gets me, they offer a FREE GIFT or free gifts but you have to ORDER something to get that/those free gift{s}! And then you have to pay SHIPPING on a supposed free gift{s}! What is up with that? If you're sending me something for free, then do it, don't charge for something that should be on their cost, not us, the consumers! My advice is set your e-mail up to put them into your JUNK folder and also BLOCK their e-mail address, then you'll NEVER see their arrogant and deceptive practices to fool you into playing their shenanigans ever again. These people ARE NOT WORTH THE TIME or YOUR MONEY!

Original review: July 16, 2018

I purchased an amethyst ring from them with the option of making monthly payments. I sent in my first payment way before the due date, and the next thing I knew, I was getting NASTY emails from them, saying my account was delinquent and I had better pay up!!! (My bank records proved they had received and cashed my check!) I quickly paid it off with my debit card and then they began to pressure me to buy more merchandise. NO WAY! I have unsubscribed unsuccessfully, so now I have marked them as spam. I am quite certain the whole thing is a joke and they are a disreputable company.

Original review: July 13, 2018

I wanted to alert other consumers and their families, especially for the elderly. This company will sent notices to entice purchasing under the guise of winning something. They will ship multiple substandard quality and over priced products for months and months. By the time a person realizes they have won nothing and now have a huge bill. Followed by a rude exchange with a supervisor. Shame on you PCH!

Publishers Clearing House Company Information