Publishers Clearing House

Founded in 1953, Publishers Clearing House is a multi-channel direct marketer of value-based consumer products and magazines. The company calls attention to its products by providing consumers entry for chance to win sweepstakes prizes. No purchase or payment is ever necessary to enter or win. Since 1967 the company has awarded over $228 million in prizes and awards. Consumers seeking direct assistance can contact PCH's customer service division, toll free, at (800) 645 9242.

Compare Miscellaneous Companies

Research top Miscellaneous Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Recently, I had started receiving items that I didn't order, or confirmation emails for magazine subscriptions that I never ordered. Plus, their shipping policies are out of the 1980's. In many emails, I expressed my disappointment, and requested they cancel all orders they may have listed for me. I have been receiving at least 2 packages from them every day for the past week. I do NOT open them, and simply write "Please return to sender. Did not order".

But, the worst, is that they mailed me flower bulbs after planting season. And, in their fine print, it reads that they will not ship until it is planting season in your area. So, I am not only returning the false orders they claim I have requested, but I am also going to request a refund for the bulbs sent after planting season. Nowhere in the USA is July considered Spring. And, I have already emailed that I will go to the Better Business Bureau if a refund is not issued.

So far, that has gotten me removed from their email and random postal mail lists. I am still making minimum payments, as requested, simply because it will be too much hassle to correct my credit score if they mark me delinquent in credit payment. My recommendation is to email everything, so that there is a written record of your communications. Good luck out there.

This ad (COSENTYX) is too long. It is 5-6 minutes long so I'm waiting the ad to finish before I can continue to win either money or tokens. Once is enough but to run this sequentially is too frigging long. You are asking me to sit for 30 on ad time before I can play. I find this quite discouraging and put a damper to want to continue with PCH games. Also your Mercedes Benz is long too. I'm sure you got a lucrative contract out of this but how about us, this is cost us valuable time!

A few years ago I won a small prize on the old PCH games - about $600. A form popped up on the screen and I filled it out, and soon another form came FedEx. I had to sign the affidavit in front of a notary and send it back, which I did, and they sent me the check by mail. People, watch those screens when you're entering. I would bet that some of you have won a game prize and haven't noticed because you clicked right past the form. To those who complain about PCH ads and merchandise, come on - where do you think they get the money they award? Think about it, you silly goofs! I see ads every day from lots of places, I'm happy that seeing the ads on PCH give me a chance to win. I will keep entering and hoping for the "big one", just as I have for over 30 years. Someday it will be my turn! I believe because I actually did win and receive a small prize once.

After many years of entering sweepstakes and the lotto, I am convinced that this is all bollocks. I gave up playing the online scratch off cards because after nearly a decade of doing so, I have not been able to win ten lousy dollars. Who cares about tokens and the "yippie skippy" comments?

I entered the online Sweepstakes with PCH. They make you go through a variety of screens with items to purchase. At the bottom, you click "Continue" to go to the next page. One day, instead of just saying "Continue," it said "Place order and continue." I accidentally clicked on that but I did not click on any of the products. I then received an email that my order had been "Confirmed". I called them and said I had not intended to order anything and wanted my order canceled. They said it would be. I then received an email saying my order had been "Processed." I emailed them and they said the order was "Canceled." Then I received an email saying my order had "Shipped" and it included a tracking number.

I emailed them again saying I was "More than pissed" and that I was not going to pay return shipping but I also don't want the merchandise that I don't even know what it is other than the description of "20 books." I repeatedly checked the tracking and it hadn't shipped so I thought I was finally in the clear. Yesterday, it arrived in my mailbox along with their invoice. In the meantime, I also called FedEx to try to cancel it. They said they could not because USPS would be delivering it. I plan to "Return to Sender" but unless I can provide proof I sent it back. I am afraid they will come after me to collect the invoice. I don't want to pay to ship it back with proof of sending it because that will cost me $$$ for something that wasn't my mistake.

Also, I received an email that I won $10 and had not received the check after about 6 weeks. I moved in the meantime so thought that was the cause. I spoke with their customer service about both of these issues on May 20. They said they would stop payment on old check and issue new check and that I would receive new check within 2 weeks. That was May 20 and it is now June 10.

I still haven't received my $10 and I got the 20 books and am beyond irritated. I have documentation of the various emails and can absolutely get phone records to document the dates/times of my correspondence with them. I need to print and then scan them. I don't want to invest more time in them than necessary but if you require them, I can get them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Publishers Clearing House?

I played PCH for 2 years non-stop. Earned over 4 Million "tokens". Then gave up for a short time. Someone in my area won... Just a few miles from me. Then, I was shut off. I tried to re-enter PCH and I would last a day or two and they would shut down my account and I would have to start all over again. I have now tried 5 times to start the game again... To no avail. Someone there finds I'm back and shuts me down. I simply do not believe that PCH is on the up and up. They "choose" the winners and it's almost always a minority or poor ** person. They also avoid, on purpose, anyone they suspect is a conservative.

This company is very questionable to say the least! Orders that my mother has placed are almost always incorrect and overpriced! Their shipping & handling is outrageous! Furthermore, it's near impossible to contact them directly, purposely of course. They don't want to talk to you! And I suspect their claims of "BIG WINNERS"!!! Think about it! The only place we ever hear of the winners is FROM THEIR OWN ADS! Could it be there are not truly any winners at all!? I'm referring to the big $5,000. A week winners - who and where are they!!! Uh-hmmm!!! That's what I thought. They show us TV ads that they produce! There's never anything on any other news source. I do not trust this company, AT ALL.

I mailed off for the two flashlights for one price. The price was 4 payments of $2.99 which would come out to $11.96. When I received the flashlight (only one) it was $19.96 plus $7.99 s/h. Then when I called to get it straight I got India customer service where she put me on hold for 18 mins to talk with her supervisor. At which time she came back and said she can send me another for $9.99 plus $7.99 s/h. Not as advertised. This is how you get cheated by this Publishers Clearing House. Now I have to return it which is going to cost me for a return shipping receipt. Not good folks. Bad bad bad business. I wish I could mark this with zero stars. One is too high.

Up until about 2 months ago I played these sweepstakes every day. I even had VIP Status and had earned almost 25 million tokens. I also enjoyed playing several of the games and played those almost every day. The reason I was able to enter these sweepstakes and play these games is that I used an adblocker to filter out the malware that comes with the ads. I would just turn off the popup that would come on asking me to turn off the adblocker and go on to enter the sweeps or play the games. But about two months ago that all changed. One day my system worked fine and I could enter the contests and play the games with no problem. The next day I could not because PCH changed the way their popup system works. Now, if you turn off their popup, the page just keeps refreshing and you can't enter any sweepstakes or play any games unless you actually turn off your adblocker. So I did.

And what happened was that the page filled up with so much adware/malware/spyware that the first thing that happened was that my antispyware program sent an alarm that the pch.com website was NOT SAFE to use because of the malware. So I had to whitelist it. That was the first thing that happened. The second thing that happened is that there were so many ads including flash content that it kept crashing my computer which admittedly is 7 years old, but come on - I'm not buying a new computer just for ONE website! So I would have to enter one contest, then stop, clear my cache and cookies, and start over. What used to take me about 45 minutes to do now took almost 4 HOURS. And some contests I literally couldn't even enter because the amount of ads were so great that the sweepstakes itself could never load. One one page I recently counted 17 ads!

And I can't even play the games anymore. I used to love playing Minute Mania. But again, with all the adware now, it slows the computer down to a stall, so there's no way you can play a game that is timed. And they're ALL timed. Finally, because I could no longer enter the sweeps daily, or play the games, or even get my bonus game tokens, because of Publisher's Clearing House adware, they took away my VIP Status that I have had for the past two years! As far as I'm concerned, Publisher's Clearing house sucks. They should be fined or at least be made to allow customers to use their site with an adblocker. After I've gone on their site, I've had to run Malwarebytes and the amount of spyware/malware they put on my computer was shocking. I ran the program right before going on their site and made sure there was nothing on my computer. I may make a video next time.

Publisher's Clearing House says that entering their contests is free. Well, it's not free if we have to buy an updated computer that can handle all their malware/spyware/adware. Nor is it free if we have to turn off our ad blockers in order to use their site. And it darn sure isn't free when their site causes my computer to crash, and then I have to have someone come in and get it running again. All in all, I'm very disappointed with this new, aggressive tactic of theirs. I miss playing the games and I miss entering the contests. I miss the VIP status. But my old computer can't handle all the adware and crashes my computer, and I can't justify buying a new computer when the Publisher's Clearing House website is the ONLY site that gives me problems.

And, I might add, I have Windows 7, completely updated. I've tried this with three different browsers - IE, Firefox, and Chrome - all updated to the latest version. I use McAfee and I also have Malwarebytes Anti-spyware. I have no problem visiting other websites and I have plenty of storage and memory on my computer. But when you go to a site like PCH, and you're getting between 17-38 ads on one page, with varying flash content, it's just too much. They should be ashamed of themselves. I've called them about this issue and they have yet to respond or "get back to me", as they said they would. I'm not expecting they'll do anything... but they should.

I have been playing PCH lotto for 5 yrs, I have 21 million tokens. Every time they email me that it's getting close nothing happens, then they called and said I had a balance of 45 dollars. I did not order anything, it's a big farce, they say a lot of people have won in Michigan. It's never been on TV.

I have read the complaints about the Publishers Clearing House and have had most of the same problems with them. I have tried to unsubscribe but with no luck. I have been getting many random emails every day all of sudden and couldn't figure out why. I have had this same email for 7 years and have never had this problem before. These emails are coming from random companies and I am also getting inappropriate emails also. It seems like PCH might be selling our emails to random people and companies. After reading many complaints about PCH I feel that they act very aggressive and almost desperate to get consumers to buy their products therefore I wouldn't doubt they could sell our emails to make more money. I'm not sure what is going on with my email since PCH. Has anyone else had this problem?

I've been playing PCH.com games for only a couple of days and DID win $5 from the "Thank You" wheel spins. I was kind of upset at first because I clicked on the link to confirm and it said it had already been claimed and I thought I lost the rest of my spins. However, immediately they sent me an email with a code and it turned out to be $5 Amazon gift card and the code worked and was applied to my account. Everything else, you have to be realistic about. Your chances of winning are minuscule, especially if you look at their homepage where it says "325 Million given away!" or whatever. Think of the split up on that vs. all their games, sweepstakes, lottos, etc. Just use your tokens on entries to win gift cards and that's probably your best bet. Pro tip: never buy anything from the internet if it's not a trusted site with reliable customer service and guarantees. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

I accidentally ordered a product once while entering sweepstakes on a tablet. I received the item in a few weeks, paid the bill and have never ordered again or been billed again. The product was as advertised. So I have no issues as far as that is concerned. I have read many reviews claiming the items were defective and they sent them back. I would suggest to keep in mind that many of these products are cheap 'as seen on tv' type items that are almost always garbage. I do not buy these types of products from infomercials and instead wait to see them in a Walgreens or Ace Hardware or somewhere like that so I can ask about them. I have bought several of these types of products at stores locally and they usually turn out to be junk. The good thing about buying locally is that it makes returning easier. Keep that in mind. Otherwise, if you do order from PCH, I expect it will be fine. It worked out OK for me anyway.

We had received an email telling us we had won the $850,00.00 drawing. When I inquired about it they said it was a scam. This is not right. We are 65 and 72 yrs of age and now they are saying it's a scam. We need help. I am attempting to attach the e-mail I received. The **. We have been playing for 40 yrs and to finally win and then be told it's a scam. Shame on PCH. PS. Can't send e-mail. Don't know how to do it.

I received a phone call today from "Tony **" who told me I had won $2 million plus a Mercedes Benz. He was very detailed and then asked me to deposit $299 cash to a special account to get me in the system... Go to WalMart for the transaction. I've never heard of a PCH sweepstakes requiring a payment of money before being awarded prize money. Am I wrong? He is calling me back tomorrow (Thur., 5/4) and is expecting me to follow through, which I am not going to do. Do you want other information? Would appreciate your response asap.

I have received numerous emails from PCH, supposedly to keep me in a sweepstakes. They require scrolling through cheap-looking products and doing online searches. I have never ordered from these emails but was shocked to receive an unsolicited product and then today, an email requesting payment. I did not order this!!! (Some kind of flashlight.) Unless they have some kind of deceitful mechanism that puts in an order if my finger brushes an invisible order button, then I have no idea how this could happen. I have stopped looking at these ads and certainly have no intention of paying for something I don't want and never ordered. Annoying to say the least to be dunned for this.

I've been playing this stupid site for almost 2-years. Never won a thing! The advertising is incredibly effective and well done to draw in suckers, but TOTAL BS!!!! I have almost 25-Million points that I've played and haven't won a thing! Congress should put a stop to PCH's BS! Never buy into this BS!

I buy items from PCH at times and I send back the junk but PCH has now started a new trend, at least it is new to me. My purchase was a cast iron grill pan. It was a little on the expensive side to begin with but when I got the bill it had a $12.00 S&H processing fee. Shipping is one thing but a handling fee is another because they are making an additional profit by saying they boxed the item, to me that is a real cheap shot. Most of the PCH items are junk anyway but my reasoning is that I want this item and I don't mind paying a little extra for it but $12.00 tacked on to a product that was overpriced in the first place really made me feel like a fool. I will not buy anything more from PCH.

I keep reading about scams. Well I WON $1000 playing Lotto at the above company, so I know they are a very responsible legitimate company! I can show you the proof because I had to report it on my 2015 income tax. The reason I am writing is because I am tired of people accusing PCH of being a scam organization; even today I still play all of their contests!

I have been playing for 3 years straight and have not won anything but I still play to win. I do not believe that this is a scam. Fit to the fact that the company has been established since before I was born and is still going. We all want to win and do better in our lives. For everyone that received an email saying they won something over a 1000 please read the fine print when playing these games. Large prizes are not notified. They are surprised at your door. Who would send a 10000 grand prize by email. Those are scams to collect your personal information. I read about them all the time. How people are notified through mail of email that they won or have to pay to get the money. That's just unreal. Also does it matter where the money comes from? As long as it is legal, I'm playing! I don't have to pay to enter and I don't have to buy products either so I'm all in. I hope you all don't give up on your dream of wanting something more due to a few scams.

PCH has been dinged enough by well, everybody from customers to the feds but they still fight even while retreating. I receive those 'YOU'VE BEEN SELECTED!!!!' things because I'm disabled and this is a way to window shop without having to walk. I, like many, usually search anything I want online for the lower price, because it's NOT PCH. I order when I can't find it anywhere else. This last invoice I wanted to pay in the installments. GOOD LUCK FINDING A WAY. After a GOOD 20 minutes searching their site, I finally found a little note down in the FAQ that says if you get your bill and want to pay in 'quarters' as they call it, you have to CALL CUSTOMER SERVICE DURING THEIR REGULAR BUSINESS HOURS. Some user-friendly attitude.

I was happy to make my first purchase and pleased with the item I bought. When I sent in my payment in full, there were ads with more special deals if I was interested. All you do is place the sticker on the payment form and they'll send you the item. Well, I never did. A month later I get a letter stating 3rd and final notice for payment past due. I was confused, I paid in full for the item I purchased and notice the amount was higher. Then I noticed the item "Retinol Cream". It dawn to me that was one of the offer that came with my statement. I called PCH customer service, and they explained that they received my order and that it was shipped out to me and received at my home. I said, "NO I never received such a thing nor have I ordered this item." I also recalled seeing ad for the same item thru via email I received, clicked on the link and had put the item into the basket. But I did not finalized anything and closed the website.

The PCH rep I spoke with was very rude as I can hear it in her tone and politely continued with the conversation. She did provide me a tracking number that the item was delivered at parcel/box and replied, "I never received anything." At the end, she said she would ship another item and that I would need to pay the amount owed before the due date before it goes to collections. I said to myself, might as well, I'm not getting through to this rep. I also requested to closed my membership and prefer not to received any more publications or emails and ended the call. After thinking about that whole ordeal of getting my point across, I felt I was done wrong. I honestly, never ordered that item, but yet she was telling me I did. I wished I made a copy of the back side of the statement where she claims the sticker was placed when I sent back my payment. I am still waiting for my item.

For just over the past year, I have responded to their search with our email and the buy from our email every day. It doesn't take long and I'm on the computer all the time. Their Super discounted prices are generally 20% higher (and $5 shipping) than elsewhere on the web, even when you are getting the extra special 50% off. Generally I will zoom through the pages and if I like something I go find it elsewhere and get it cheaper and free shipping. Their Emails are sent out by an automated system that doesn't know more about you than your email address, insert generic form 1,000.001 paste customer number 10,000,998 data file in. SEND!!! I have attempted to contact them about their email practices and well "we will look into it" is about as far as I got. Dead end.

"$30 value surprise gift. Just pay shipping with any purchase." Tried it I got 15 gift bags. I could have got from Dollar Tree for less than shipping cost me. Products are cheaply made, I have to be careful with them, and they still seem to break after 3-4 uses, what is odd is some of the items come in the standard package you see from elsewhere but they still don't last long. I've given up on buying anything from them, and I suggest you do the same. File for the contest, as I am pretty sure that is real, or we would see the government investigating them. But don't buy from them, use their ad as a lead to something neat to buy from someone else.

I am a sometimes participant with the PCH sweepstakes. I always hope I'll win, but haven't yet. I know some people who have thought they won. If you do win, you will receive a real, honest-to-goodness message from PCH. They will NOT ask you to send them any money, or anything else for that matter. If someone asks for money from you, it is a SCAM! Now, in regards to the products offered... I have purchased several things through PCH, and I've received good things and bad. I've bought bowls that broke the first time they went through the dishwasher, but still have some dish towels I bought years ago. Just like when you buy things you see on TV, you're playing the lottery when you order. It is only through comments like these that PCH truly knows about the products they sell. I doubt their reps actually try the items.

If you buy things with a wary eye, you'll be less disappointed. You might be happy, as I am with my rugs. If purchasing something through PCH really bothers your bottom line financially, you probably should wait, save your money, and buy somewhere else. But don't blame PCH for your mishandling of your money, or for believing SCAM artists who use PCH to commit fraud.

Just received a packet from PCH and in this one they advise me if I don't make a selection for one of the products they will pass my number(s) on to someone else. They indicated this was done before to someone else and the person to whom it was passed on to won. I don't know how much. I felt as though they were putting me under pressure to make a purchase which I will not allow to happen so, PCH, goodbye, I'm done.

It is really SAD to see this many lazy and/or uneducated and blame PCH. By simply reading their rules and giveaway guidelines they would NEVER blame PCH. Buying/subscribing to any ads does NOT increase your chances to win and PCH clearly states they are NOT liable for any issues you have with that other company. PCH gets cents per advertisement and they accumulate so that they can give free prizes but those are OTHER companies so... simply look up their reviews and experiences. Look up their policy. If it is Best Buy then I guarantee you that you will be treated fairly. If it is some small company from Thailand, then you are taking a risk. Be a grown adult and take responsibility if you fail to do your research.

PCH will NEVER call you if you win. In person surprise for big wins or letter with a check. That's it. No taxes or similar bs from scammers asking you for money before the prize. PCH will never say in a letter that you won something but then ask you to fill out a paper or similar. IT WILL BE A CHECK or it will be a flyer saying you have a CHANCE to win something, or you could lose out on the OPPORTUNITY to win 10k per week for life. Do you understand these words. It doesn't guarantee, it's a chance or opportunity. Open a dictionary if you don't understand certain words. And most important read the probability ratio. To win the main prize or 1 million $ your chances are 1 in about 3.5 BILLION. So unless you submitted 3.5 million times, you have no right to complain for not winning. And even with small prizes like a laptop or similar, the chance to win is like 1 in 500,000. So unless you played 500,000 games, DO NOT COMPLAIN.

THE FACT IS, PEOPLE GET LUCKY LIKE IN THE LOTTERY AND WIN ALL THE TIME. But lottery is not free and odds are way better but still, in lottery you have a smaller chance to win the main prize than die by being struck by lightning 1 in 2.5 million. So play the free games, enjoy it, read all the rules and guidelines and one day you might win something. Either way don't blame any company that shows clear rules, odds, guidelines and even warnings on how to know it's not them, for your mistakes.

While I question if anyone actually has won a large prize, such as the $5000 a week for life, I actually did win and received a check for $5 from search and win. Very small winnings but it did show me that they actually do pay small winnings. I have ordered products they offered, not to increase my chances, but wanted what seemed like cute items. The items weren't too bad, but what I wasn't told was the outrageous shipping costs which aren't disclosed when order is placed. For that reason I will never order products from PCH again. But the winnings are real, but highly unlikely that the actual winning pre-picked number will ever be drawn. Can happen, but not probable.

They keep telling me that I've won something and then they send me to another survey to fill out. I think it's all a scam. They want you to think you have won BIG and then they send you to another damn survey to fill out. All we are doing is filling out surveys and not even getting paid for them. If you have not won anything don't make the consumer think they have won big time. You are deceiving us with promising us that we have won. I'm VERY DISAPPOINTED ALSO! I'm not your biggest fan right now. I bet nobody's ever won anything. THAT'S NOT THE WAY TO TREAT PEOPLE!

I remember sometime in the 70's I was told that I won a 20 inch TV. In order to get it I had to pay shipping which amounted to more than I would have paid for the same TV in the first place. These people are SCAMMERS and nobody wins the top prize or probably any other prize. If anybody won the 7 million a week for life, wouldn't it be on the news on TV? For one thing, how would this crap company be able to afford to pay out this amount every year or many times per year? Come now, would you believe this? Not even a drug cartel could afford to do that.

Very disappointed that my elderly mother got roped into numerous purchases from your company. Over $800+ magazines that the woman will never read or have an interested in - no refund. We were told just keep getting magazines. REALLY??? 80+ year old woman reads Rolling Stones... Other magazines never even heard of before more magazines than ever US, Good Housekeeping, Shape, Money, Forbes... Too many to list. She needs the $ for health issues not useless magazines or items. Other items she supposedly order - she's not even sure how she did that. Have been returned unopened once us children saw what was coming to her.

Publishers Clearing House Company Profile