1.37/5
Based on 135 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Publishers Clearing House

Founded in 1953, Publishers Clearing House is a multi-channel direct marketer of value-based consumer products and magazines. The company calls attention to its products by providing consumers entry for chance to win sweepstakes prizes. No purchase or payment is ever necessary to enter or win. Since 1967 the company has awarded over $228 million in prizes and awards. Consumers seeking direct assistance can contact PCH's customer service division, toll free, at (800) 645 9242.

1741 Publishers Clearing House Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 13, 2018

NEVER won a THIN DIME! EVER! I started out as a teenager, filling out my Mom's entries. I had it down to a fine art, and could do it in less than a minute! It was the same every time. NOW, I get at least TWO emails per day, and do my searches, and quickly scroll down to fill it out in less than a minute. It too, is always the same. I scroll down so fast, I only see a blur of the products. Lol. I also use the tokens and have used MILLIONS on one thing, a Canon camera I want. To date, NEVER won a SINGLE thing. I hate it!

They've started telling me, I no longer qualify to play, because I never buy anything. I KNOW this is their attempt to stop me from playing, as it is against the law to actually do it. It allows me to play as always. It's really just a waste of time. Time you can't get back! I get my blows in when I can, I "googled" this Consumer Affairs Website from one of their "search" buttons. I also enjoy "googling" highly Conservative topics on their "search buttons. I know they hate it. Makes me feel better about their wasting my time and getting my hopes up!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

PCH requires you to do too much clicking on their gameplay, such as click on "play now" then 'reveal now" or clicking on "begin" then "reveal" and "continue" after each game. And they want you to do this for each and every game you play. It's a scam because a person won't spend 18 hours a day on their site and then make you look through the products they want you to buy. It's just a ploy to get your money.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I play PCH all the time online, and I won four times, small amounts, not any major sweepstakes yet, but I wish, first time I won $50, then $20, then $250 then $10. And if you got asked to send money in order to receive a cash winning, then it wasnt PCH, your contents got into the wrong hands somewhere and some con artist is trying to rip you off. So take the word from someone who has took those PCH checks to Walmart and got them cashed, PCH is real.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Back in April of 2018 they sent me a email claiming I won the big prize only to see it was announced to someone else in Florida. They denied the email came from them even though it was sent from their website. I had an account with their webpage and I know now they are fake. A fraud who lied to me. I think the commercials we see on tv are paid actors pretending to win. I want nothing to do with that phony company ever again. They should be sued for phony advertising and sent to prison!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

They keep sent me messages saying I'm going to be forfeited cuz I'm not trying and I've mailed in from the start to enter and every single time I try to play it cuts it off. I mean each time and just did while ago and said having technical problems. I'd have to try again. Not once have been able to play and even got the PCH app and it wouldn't ever work either. Thank you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Publishers Clearing House?

Original review: July 30, 2018

I have been playing their games for years, winning tokens. I have "redeemed" millions of tokens for gift cards, but won nothing. They bombard me with e-mail every day. I have stopped reading through those that show an ad, followed by another ad from which you can get a $30 "mystery gift" free, and pay only the shipping for that "gift". I never want those mystery gifts. They are puzzle magazines, very small, and not worth more than a dollar a piece. I hate word search puzzles. In these ads, you are reminded of the mystery gift offer, which means you have to click "no" twice - once to place no order, and again to decline the lousy mystery gift.

This ad type also has a target game to find out what discount you can get for magazines. Followed by ads for skin care products, and then they want you to play a series of scratch-off games. If you read the ad through and stop at the scratch-offs, they send you an e-mail to say that you stopped too soon. This type of ad is very annoying! I have gotten into the habit of leaving the ad as soon as I see the mystery gift offer. I am really fed up with PCH. It is a huge waste of time.

Original review: July 28, 2018

Seems to be no one to report a scam too. Suppose no one cares, that's why it keeps happening. Keep getting a scam call about Publishers Clearing House second place winner. The scammer's phone number is **. Robert **. Wants me to pay 1% of winning at a Walmart store. Then I will get a check. Never entered so I could not possibly win. Also I will not pay one cent to such a scam. If nothing else, tell other people about the scam. Thank you.

Original review: July 26, 2018

I have been entering the sweeps and trying to buy things with tokens for 6 years and nothing. If you go to the small print Official Rules, it contradicts itself... First it says: A limit of one online entry per day is allowed per individual and per email address for each separate online promotion unless otherwise specified. Then in the next paragraph it says: You may submit as many entries as you would like for this promotional Giveaway.

So which is it? One entry per day or as many as you like? We could be throwing away all our tokens if we enter multiple times in a day, or not entering more times a day if we are allowed to. The program lets you enter as much as you want, so none of the instructions makes any sense. If you are truly only allowed to enter each giveaway once, then why does the program allow you to do more than that? They need to make their instructions clearer. We have to watch dozens of boring ads in order to win tokens, so the least they can do is be clear about entering their giveaways. This whole thing borders on fraud the way it is worded.

Original review: July 20, 2018

This is sort of a question about PCH but also a review... I've been on their website for a while and I had millions of tokens and decided, 'Might as well spend them on something'. So I literally wasted tons of tokens and entered for gift cards about 200 times each and I haven't won once... I'm seriously considering this is rigged. Am I right? Or am I wrong? I was wondering if anyone actually got anything from them... I do get the catalog though and mail from them and once they asked me for my security number and maybe it was someone else spamming me. But I really wish PCH was the real deal.

Original review: July 19, 2018

I happened to see a CD for the Drifters and the Platters with all of their greatest hits in PCH catalog pages so I ordered it. It arrived in a nice cover that says "The Drifters" on one side of the front cover and the "Platters" on the other side. I was all ready to send them a check when I decided to play one CD to make sure it was "really" them. When I opened the cover I saw 2 CDs that were blank except for the name of the group and a logo for "Direct Source" which apparently burns CDs for PCH. When I played it I knew immediately it WAS NOT the original group. Looking at the little window when the CD opens it said sung by Georges ** and Jimmy ** whoever they are!!

When I called to complain about this and spoke to "Mimi" she told me she would send another CD pack in 2 to 3 weeks. I told her that wouldn't do any good because it still wouldn't be the real singers and she said it would be. I refused to get another set sent and just advised I wouldn't be paying for this set. After her repeating that she would send another set and my refusals she told me I could give it to charity or keep it. No need to return it. If I get a bill to just disregard it. (You are my witnesses!)

So I asked her what her name was and she hesitated and said "Mimi." Then I asked her where she was located. She promptly asked me "is there anything else I can help you with?" I said, "Yes tell me where you are located". She would not answer the question. Next thing I heard was the original recording of PCH. Grrrr!! How can you work for a company that so clearly scams people and get mad at the people who are calling? I would love to know of anyone who actually won one of their contests. Beware of what you are ordering and don't send money until you know your purchase is exactly what you ordered and it works!

Original review: July 19, 2018

PCH is deceptive. You never win nothing but tokens. They send you tons of email everyday stating "Don't forfeit your prize of cash" whatever the amount is. So you have to click on it to enter. By then they are getting you to play all these games for cash but NONE of the games are cash prizes. ALL Of them are only tokens. Then you have to enter tokens for a chance to win a gift card. Variable gift cards with so many tokens you have to enter. You can enter all your tokens and never win. It is rigged.

You are also hit with tons of advertisement between each game. They want you to search and use ONLY their search engine every day. Each search gives you tokens but leads you to nothing on the search engine every time you click on something to have to keep searching. That alone they should be sued over! I actually did win a couple of games that was suppose to be a cash prize but it ended up giving me tokens. That is their way of making you think you have won. PCH has been around for years yet the gov has not shut them down. Something needs to be done about it. PCH can not keep deceiving people like this.

Now they have posted odds of winning because they were sued, etc. however their odds of winning are probably zero in all actuality. They also give you a Winner's List but there's no way to contact a winner even if they supposedly won $500. How do you know the Winner's List is not made up. There are all kind of ways that they are deceiving people by these games and by email and by the search engine alone. There have been many people to speak up about PCH. Supposedly PCH was recently sued. I am thinking about starting my own lawsuit against this place myself. It is not right for companies to be able to get away with this.

Original review: July 16, 2018

PCH E-mails are disruptive and annoying, every day and almost every minute of every day there is some form of e-mail sent stating "YOU MUST DO THIS!", "DO THIS NOW!", "Immediate attention required!" or "Immediate action needed now!" or YOU WILL BE DISQUALIFIED for "x" prize mentioned in the e-mail. And no matter how many times you click on the offending action they want you to do, you then have to go through so many hoops. It's just not worth it, you end up wasting nothing but time you could be using for other activities, like cleaning your house, going out to lunch or a movie with family or friends, going to a mall, anything, but wasting time on game that you will never win!

I can't recall the name of the current game they have where you click on a circle to launch a ball to win either a specific amount of tokens or possibly $10,000.00 cash. This game IS RIGGED and my experience with it was just that, the ball literally landed and stopped in the holder that shows I'd win $10,000.00 cash, but what happened next, the ball LITERALLY JUMPED out and landed in a lower level, offering me tokens. I think it was 250, maybe 500. But by all rights, I SHOULD HAVE WON that cash. Then on the football game, you pick a player. He kicks the ball and what happens, right as the ball is heading DIRECTLY between the goalposts, it looks like it has already gone between them, then it swerves and goes off to the left or right of the goalposts! Definitely rigged as far as I'm concerned.

I used to write software and I know that it's entirely possible to make a game "CHEAT" folks out of lives, extra's or anything else in a game. The coders of the games PCH.COM uses SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF THEMSELVES for coding games in such a manner. As another stated, the race car and horse race game are 2 more examples of this, you will always come in 4th or 5th, never less than 4th place, yet, I picked a car and it crossed the finish line FIRST, then the game dropped that car back and it came in 4th.

I also ordered 2 items from PCH.COM, paid in full up front, I never got to make payments as they claim, combined my payment as one, 1 item has been shipped thus far, waiting for 2nd item to ship, paid twice for shipping, why can't PCH COMBINE shipments when they TAKE FULL PAYMENT and combine that with shipping so you only pay one small shipping fee instead of 2. Been tracking the package since it was shipped, 4 days later and the FedEx they used for shipping shows the package HAS NOT MOVED at all!

Makes me wonder if I'll ever see the two items I purchased, and they always force you into scrolling through everything, at least FIVE PAGES of product BEFORE you can get the SUBMIT ENTRY, and then they tend to hit you up with a special and you have to go through the same process of FIVE PAGES of PRODUCT again! You should be able to submit entry from PAGE 1 of this, since they always claim: {no purchase necessary to win!}. Another load of malarkey as far as I am concerned. You better off to buy things direct from the manufacturer, as I've actually and literally found the same products CHEAPER there and sometimes even with free shipping!

And that's another thing that gets me, they offer a FREE GIFT or free gifts but you have to ORDER something to get that/those free gift{s}! And then you have to pay SHIPPING on a supposed free gift{s}! What is up with that? If you're sending me something for free, then do it, don't charge for something that should be on their cost, not us, the consumers! My advice is set your e-mail up to put them into your JUNK folder and also BLOCK their e-mail address, then you'll NEVER see their arrogant and deceptive practices to fool you into playing their shenanigans ever again. These people ARE NOT WORTH THE TIME or YOUR MONEY!

Original review: July 16, 2018

I purchased an amethyst ring from them with the option of making monthly payments. I sent in my first payment way before the due date, and the next thing I knew, I was getting NASTY emails from them, saying my account was delinquent and I had better pay up!!! (My bank records proved they had received and cashed my check!) I quickly paid it off with my debit card and then they began to pressure me to buy more merchandise. NO WAY! I have unsubscribed unsuccessfully, so now I have marked them as spam. I am quite certain the whole thing is a joke and they are a disreputable company.

Original review: July 13, 2018

I wanted to alert other consumers and their families, especially for the elderly. This company will sent notices to entice purchasing under the guise of winning something. They will ship multiple substandard quality and over priced products for months and months. By the time a person realizes they have won nothing and now have a huge bill. Followed by a rude exchange with a supervisor. Shame on you PCH!

Original review: July 9, 2018

I have been on their mailing list now for thirty years. And bought all kinds of trash from them and never won A thing. There was A time I'm sure they sold my DNA to boulder county during the JonBenet Ramsey investigations.

Original review: July 3, 2018

I have 25 million tokens and not one win. You have better odds in some PCH prize categories with the Lottery. PCH is kind of fun and the site is professional. You just cannot get excited about winning. If you are looking to win as a means of income, etc. PCH is not the way to do it. Your time can be better spent in other potential areas.

Original review: July 2, 2018

Publishers Clearing House is just that... a clearing house for magazines and goods. Their primary objective is to sell stuff. If you go in knowing that, you will understand how they operate. Winning money is a come-on to generating sales. Keeping you coming back via hyped-up emails is their MO. If you think you might get lucky and actually win money well, let me advise you that you will probably do better by buying scratch-off tickets. I actually won a total of $350 from scratch-off tickets. As for pch.com, I received a check for $10 in the mail which covered the cost of a magazine I ordered.

Original review: July 1, 2018

I have been ordering PCH merchandise for about 3 years. I have found some things are cheap and break. However PCH has been great about refunding or replacing, if I call about something broken. Recently my friend broke his sunglasses he received from PCH. I called PCH and they replaced them for free! I like PCH. You just have to be selective on what you order!

Original review: June 27, 2018

I have been told that I have to buy things to be eligible to win in their current contest. I purchased goods 3 separate times. Now I am being told I have to buy again or I will be disqualified and unable to win in the current contest. I am not going to buy again! I have spent over $100. On goods. I think I should be qualified to win. What a scam!!! You see all of their wonderful T.V. commercials and believe they are a reputable company. They are not! What is happening in our country? Does everyone lie all of the time???

Original review: June 24, 2018

I have bought and played regularly games and sweepstakes for over 2 years, all I've won is a $10 gift cert, it's not the winning, it's the programming behind all of pch.com's stuff. Example if you land on $100 or ? You see it quickly jump to you won only tokens, no cash. It also trips you up constantly, trying to get you to buy or loose time. I recommend NYS to take a hidden sample look at the programming behind the whole deal. I know from using computers, you can set them up to make sure no one MUCH wins in NY, the sad part is I like the games, but knowing that it's not real hurts, help us consumers.

Original review: June 22, 2018

I have been playing for a little over ten years. And boy do they make you believe you are the next big winner. But I've finally caught on and noticed that we don't ever win. It's just like all the fake apps on marketplace. They get paid to keep our minds busy. Another brainwashed American citizen I have let myself become with dreams of the all American dream. I've become a slave to PCH... smh. Makes me wonder if they care about the hopes and dreams they are crushing.

I can't say how many times my spins on let's say the gift wheel... it landed between cash all five tes not once but twenty nine times over a two month period. By the way the other times just tokens of course. Way too many emails and even phone calls. They get paid for our clicks... over ten years of loyalty and not even $1 to show they do something for me. They can start by paying for all my wasted data. Should be able to sue for fraudulent activity. I'm gonna look into it. Try Lucky Day people at least they pay you. Lol. Good luck.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I received an email saying I won $1,850,000.00 US dollars in their 2018 PCH giveaway and to send my details to them. This isn't the first time they sent me an email saying I won. I just never responded because I think it's fake and don't want to give out my information online. It would be nice to know that it was real and to have that kind of money or even have cause I've been playing for a while and still haven't received anything in the mail not even a phone call. I can't even get a happy birthday email. Shaking my head.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Ordered HGTV/House Beautiful magazine through Publishers Clearing House on Mar 8, 2018. It was for 20 issues at $25.96. I paid Publishers Clearing House via check when I received the bill on Mar 28 '18. To date, (3 1/2 months later) I have not received a single issue. Just got off the phone with Publishers Clearing House and talked with an agent (who seemed and sounded bewildered). My account shows paid in full but she could not explain to me why I have never received a single issue. She put me on hold for several minutes and then came back and gave me no explanation still as to why I have not received any issues. She said maybe the magazine only comes out once in a while... duh, it is monthly.

I then asked for a refund of my $25.96. She said okay, it takes 24 to 48 hours for the cancellation to go through and it will take 2 to 3 weeks before I can be issued the refund. My advice is not to "ever" purchase a magazine subscription through Publishers Clearing House due to their obviously lousy inefficient processing of magazine subscriptions! Better to order directly from the actual magazine itself rather than through Publishers Clearing House. I am publishing this review because ordering through Publishers Clearing House for magazine subscriptions is probably not a good idea. Their customer service is lousy!

Original review: June 11, 2018

I make payments every month soon as I can. I also only get paid once a month. What do they think I am. I surely don't have a million dollars. I even pay more than what I'm to pay every month. They called me on June 6th 2018 and I made a higher payment than I had to. I was also promised that I would not be called again. But they call me 5 days later again. I was so upset that I was partly mad but crying. Doing this to me it affected my bipolar that I wished that I was dead. Because it's like who cares and keeps their word?

Original review: June 8, 2018

I've been playing Publishers Clearing House for 5 years and I still haven't won the sweepstakes and a downfall is I've been in this for a long time and I still haven't won anything but five bucks here. In there it says make we can make your dream come true but the sad part about all that is about time they make your dreams come true you pretty much have been real real old and that's not fair. It shouldn't take 10 years or longer than that just to win a sweepstakes.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I stayed up playing the game Keno for 24 hours and won it. I got a email from Publishers Clearing House saying that I won and I would get 400 dollars in 3 to 4 weeks but now they are saying that I violated the rules. They block me and won't pay me the money that I won. They won't tell me how and what rules that I violated. I work my butt off getting to 180 lifetime tokens and now I have been blocked. I can't even think of any rules that I violated. I won fair and square and they won't even pay me for what I won. Don't waste your time playing their games because they are nothing but liars. I'm disabled and the 400 dollars was going to help a lot and it got my hopes up for nothing.

Original review: June 4, 2018

I have felt many times no one wins these but about 15 years ago they actually came to my parents’ home and my father answered the door. When I came home he told me they had come to ask for the address of the person who won in our small town in central IL. Then about a year later they did the same thing looking for another winner when it was just me at home. It does happen, just not very often to most people, just like the lotto.

Original review: May 28, 2018

Ok does anyone ever win? How the hell can they say you've won when in reality they are lying and deceiving the public!!! How does this happen without having to pay out something? Why can they send out emails and letters saying you've won and not have to pay out anything? I wanna know would a lawyer be able to sue them for deceive and tricking you to open email saying you win? I would like an attorney to shed light on this. Can you tie them up in court. Is there a legal way to "stick it" to Publishers Clearing House???

Original review: May 25, 2018

I play game after game after game - WIN ZILCH. Good examples are the horse race & the car race - never finished higher than 4th place no matter what horse, or what car I choose. Never win any big money, & very little small money. Won $5 one time. Won $10 one time. I don’t even know how I won. What good are tokens? I have submitted over 10 million tokens and never won diddly-squat!

The latest winners for the token entries all seemed to begin with the name Paul. Check it out these 05/23-24 Winners: Paul ** $75 Omaha Steaks; Tara ** $100 Walmart Gift Card; Nancy ** Canon EOS Rebel Digital SLR Camera; Paul ** $75 Omaha Steaks; Paula ** Hamilton Beach Wave crusher blender. Could have been a misprint. Paul ** won $75 Omaha Steaks on 5/23 AND 5/24. WOW! What Luck! Bottom line - I’ll probably quit this soon, as nobody is exactly twisting my arm to play; however, they sure make the prizes sound phenomenal. We all want to ride that rainbow to the pot of gold. I’ll even take a fancy coffee pot. Maybe I’ll change my name to Paul ** or Pauline ** or something like that. Good Luck Y'all.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I bought a Toucan automatic can opener. The first time I used it the start button fell into the machine. I contacted Publishers Clearing House to get a refund. They instructed me to return the $14.96 product at my cost for a refund. I packed it and brought it to the USPS who wanted $10.32 postage to return it. With no assurance that they would refund my money, I chose not to waste more of my hard earned cash. I will never buy anything from them again.

Publishers Clearing House Company Information

www.pch.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business