2. Miscellaneous

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.57/5
Based on 1,195 ratings

Publishers Clearing House is a direct marketing company that markets magazine subscriptions and some merchandise, including kitchen gadgets, with sweepstakes and prize-based games. Its casino-style games include slots, keno, quizzes, scratch-offs, solitaire and others.

BOTTOM LINE

Publishers Clearing House is a company that offers low-stakes daily sweepstakes prizes. There’s no purchase necessary to win, but the odds of winning are small and playing results in frequent email and mail offers.

PROS
  • Daily sweepstakes
  • Friendly service
  • Free to enter
CONS
  • Marketing overload
  • Slim odds

Top Publishers Clearing House Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Publishers Clearing House?

I have been the top token earner on the KENO contest held every day several times… since then I have won $400 three times, $500 twice and $10 because I hit a cash prize instead of tokens. That is very rare. But PCH is legit and they do pay off.

We play for the dreams, for the hopes, for the chances to change our lives and the people we hold dear. But it's still never promised to us. I'm shocked and blessed that I won 10.00 dollars on playing games and watching ads, without me spending any money...

What is Publishers Clearing House?

Publishers Clearing House is a sweepstakes and marketing company. Since it was founded, Publishers Clearing House has awarded more than $483 million in prizes.

The company awards between $3 million to more than $13 million in prizes annually, and at least $10,000 in major prizes are awarded each month. The SuperPrizes that range from $1 million to $10 million are awarded at least three times per year. In addition to cash prizes, the company awards winning entrants with cars, computers, gift cards and more.

How does Publishers Clearing House work?

You can enter to win Publishers Clearing House contests online, by phone and by mail. You can play games and enter the sweepstakes online through mobile devices, tablets or desktop computers. The company’s suite of digital properties receives more than 5 million daily visits and around 2 billion monthly page views. According to the company, someone wins a prize every 10 minutes, and you can enter to win daily.

Entrants must be 18 years or older, and no purchase is necessary to enter or win a prize in any amount. Players who choose to purchase magazine subscriptions or merchandise do not receive an advantage over those who do not make a purchase. Shopper benefits include installment pricing, special offers, frequent discounts and a 100% satisfaction guaranteed policy.

Is Publishers Clearing House free?

Publishers Clearing House does not charge its players to enter sweepstakes or play games, and there is no fee to collect a prize. You can purchase a variety of products and merchandise that range in price, however.

If a company contacts you claiming to be Publishers Clearing House and requesting money to claim a prize, it is most likely a scam.

Publishers Clearing House FAQ

How does Publishers Clearing House notify winners?
    Publishers Clearing House awards prizes throughout the year. Major prize award winners and SuperPrize winners are notified in person by the company’s Prize Patrol, while runner-up winners are notified by overnight express carrier or email.
    What happens if you win Publishers Clearing House and you’re not home?
    The Prize Patrol will locate its winners at home, at the office or even on vacation. The team once waited for an entire weekend for a winner to return home.
    Where does Publishers Clearing House money come from?
    Prizes awarded by Publishers Clearing House are funded by company revenue earned from merchandise and magazine offers. No purchase is necessary to enter to win.
    Does anybody really win Publishers Clearing House?
    Yes. The sweepstakes is legitimate, but the big prizes are sought by so many people that the odds of winning are slim. According to its website, there is a prize awarded about every 10 minutes.

Is Publishers Clearing House real?

It’s rare to be able to enter to win cash prizes with no purchase necessary, but Publishers Clearing House offers that opportunity. The company does have some merchandise and magazine subscription offers with customer perks, but buying products does not increase your chances of winning. While Publishers Clearing House is legitimate, it does send its subscribers lots of marketing communication, and the overall odds of winning large prizes are small.

Publishers Clearing House Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Publishers Clearing House?

Original review: April 7, 2021

I registered for the sweepstakes. When I completed, they prompted me to complete the process. It then became obvious they wanted me to purchase something. No cost or obligation, remember? I stopped the process. Now they keep harassing me with these emails to complete so I can "win". Stay away!

Original review: March 5, 2021

The number associated with my current review is **. This is the number I was called from saying I won the sweepstakes!!! I keep calling this number and they kept telling me they would call me back. The last time I talked to him he wanted some kind of card from Dollar General in the amount of $500 dollars. When I refused he hung up!!!

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2021

They said I ordered magazines from them. I don't get magazines. I never ordered anything from them. I never open mail from them so how could I owe them? I want them to stop harassing me or I will file a formal legal complaint. I am retired and on disability. Why would I waste money on magazines when I can look up anything on the internet?

Original review: Jan. 22, 2021

I ordered a magazine subscription, which I paid for but never received. I just got off the phone with customer service because after over 40 minutes speaking to 3 different people in different departments, their end dropped the call. This happened two weeks ago. When tried to resolve it after 30+ minutes, they dropped the call that time too. This was my 6th call about this, and I just wanted my money back. This has been going on since September and they still owe me $20+ bucks. It is now January 22! I am finally going to let them keep my money not to have to deal with them ever again!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2021

I won a tournament prize as the leader. The prize was 3 figures. They notified me via email. Their site clearly defines that these check go out 3-5 weeks later. I received it as stated. As for marketing, well it is marketing! We don’t go one day without being blasted with advertising until we sleep. PCH clearly states that ordering will increase your chances of winning. Meaning your orders have no bearing whatsoever on your chances of winning.

Using tokens to enter giveaways is like buying raffle tickets. Based on statistics of the number of total entries. There are many ways to earn tokens or cash like in tournaments like I did. Leaderboards based on your level and status, payout in the hundreds if you win. Other top scorers win large sums of tokens. Read everything on all their apps to learn how to make tokens, disclosures and sweepstakes rules. It seems to be transparent.

Now comes the bad part. Their site constantly freezes up during gameplay and in between games. I have followed their recommendations on their site, updated my phone, had excellent internet signal and even played in the wee hours of 12 AM to 5 AM to make sure it wasn’t internet jam. However living in a rural area, not many people using their internet at those hours. No matter the time it continues to freeze after a few games in all apps and site. This is quite annoying and I spend more time reloading the game than playing most times. I have even lost big token wins due to the freezing and incapability of the site’s server. Several times I received technical difficulty messages. Unfortunately, this is a flaw of all video games.

I did question a $40 cash win I thought I should have been notified about. I emailed them with specific details and asked them to look into it. They responded back via email within 3 days. After their response I played my Elite Scratch Card to find it was the same game as the one described. This being the 2nd time seeing this card. It had to be the blurry eyes at 4 AM because I won the the exact prize but now I could see and it was an entry for the $40K prize. So as of now, no complaints against customer service. MOST IMPORTANTLY! There are fake websites out there posing as PCH. Make sure you’re on the official site before posting any negative reviews. I am not in any way affiliated with PCH in the past or present. This is an honest review from a PCH player.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2020

I ordered a gift for a friend in early November. It never arrived, but they asked for payment in an email from their site. A week ago the product arrived with no invoice. The outside of the package was labeled "your replacement order". That was the only package from them. Now, on a fixed income, I do not reply to much of their correspondence. I have not ordered from them for ten years. They forget who their loyal customers were. I called them last Friday and asked for a bill with an invoice to be sent to me in the mail. After some conversation, they acknowledged my request. Nothing has come in the mail from them yet. Now I will keep this present for a while in case I have to return it to them. They will not get another order from me.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

After reaching Yellow Diamond level the Wheel spun & landed on $900.00 cash prize. Highlighted in yellow clear as day. Seconds later the box disappeared & it said I won 25k tokens. I called them & they said their info said 25k tokens not $ 900.00, sure. I know what the wheel stopped at, 900. They said they would look into it & over the next 2 days 2 different people called me back with the same nonsense about their software. They ask me if I took a screenshot, ha! In seconds the box disappears. Where's their screenshot of it landing on 25k tokens! It's a fact it landed on the $900.00. They are cheats & should not be allowed to cheat people like they do. Stay away & don't waste your time with these crooks .

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

I have sent two letters to PCH to remove me from their mailing list. The first was October 28, 2020 and November 4, 2020. I have the copies of each letter. I received another mailing from them yesterday on November 18. In each of the letters I asked them in a nice way but told them that I would notify Consumer Affairs and the BBB in their area to no avail. The last letter was addressed to them attention: Marketing Dept. I am requesting your help in this matter. Our customer ID with PCH is: available upon request.

Jan

Original review: Nov. 4, 2020

I am complaining about Publishers Clearing House. I used many tokens to win giveaway #160208, $289.00 to spend on a new lawnmower. I was notified that I had won, the prize amount shown was correct, they said it would be deliver the next day by 8pm. I waited all day and it never came, I tried calling them several times, after waiting 15 to 30 minutes for a technical person, I told them the problem and even gave them my account # and giveaway number 16208. They gave me a number to the games department then I was back on the waiting list I had already been on, so I called back the next day and waited 15 minutes on hold, repeated the same problem to the person he put me on hold then hung up.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2020

A few years ago I played around with the app of Publishers Clearing House playing the games and it would give free promotions to try a magazine for free! A magazine no a subscription of magazines! I drive a truck so last year while gone I was receiving these magazines in my mailbox three different kinds of magazines! So I tried to find a phone number and on a envelope I found they were trying to bill me but there's no number to call only a email to customer service! You send a email and they get back to you and this is how I had to communicate. I explained I did not order these and I wanted it stopped. Customer service said they would cancel this and take care of this. For about two months no magazines and then all of a sudden am getting them again. Am really tired of this and need new avenues to take!

Publishers Clearing House Company Information