2. Miscellaneous

1.6/5 (1204 ratings)

About Publishers Clearing House

Publishers Clearing House is a direct marketing company that markets magazine subscriptions and some merchandise, including kitchen gadgets, with sweepstakes and prize-based games. Its casino-style games include slots, keno, quizzes, scratch-offs, solitaire and others.

Pros

• Daily sweepstakes
  • Friendly service
  • Free to enter

Cons

• Marketing overload
  • Slim odds

Bottom Line

Publishers Clearing House is a company that offers low-stakes daily sweepstakes prizes. There’s no purchase necessary to win, but the odds of winning are small and playing results in frequent email and mail offers.

Top Publishers Clearing House Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I have been the top token earner on the KENO contest held every day several times… since then I have won $400 three times, $500 twice and $10 because I hit a cash prize instead of...

Verified

We play for the dreams, for the hopes, for the chances to change our lives and the people we hold dear. But it's still never promised to us. I'm shocked and blessed that I won 10....

What is Publishers Clearing House?

Publishers Clearing House is a sweepstakes and marketing company. Since it was founded, Publishers Clearing House has awarded more than $483 million in prizes.

The company awards between $3 million to more than $13 million in prizes annually, and at least $10,000 in major prizes are awarded each month. The SuperPrizes that range from $1 million to $10 million are awarded at least three times per year. In addition to cash prizes, the company awards winning entrants with cars, computers, gift cards and more.

How does Publishers Clearing House work?

You can enter to win Publishers Clearing House contests online, by phone and by mail. You can play games and enter the sweepstakes online through mobile devices, tablets or desktop computers. The company’s suite of digital properties receives more than 5 million daily visits and around 2 billion monthly page views. According to the company, someone wins a prize every 10 minutes, and you can enter to win daily.

Entrants must be 18 years or older, and no purchase is necessary to enter or win a prize in any amount. Players who choose to purchase magazine subscriptions or merchandise do not receive an advantage over those who do not make a purchase. Shopper benefits include installment pricing, special offers, frequent discounts and a 100% satisfaction guaranteed policy.

Is Publishers Clearing House free?

Publishers Clearing House does not charge its players to enter sweepstakes or play games, and there is no fee to collect a prize. You can purchase a variety of products and merchandise that range in price, however.

If a company contacts you claiming to be Publishers Clearing House and requesting money to claim a prize, it is most likely a scam.

Publishers Clearing House FAQ

How does Publishers Clearing House notify winners?
Publishers Clearing House awards prizes throughout the year. Major prize award winners and SuperPrize winners are notified in person by the company’s Prize Patrol, while runner-up winners are notified by overnight express carrier or email.
What happens if you win Publishers Clearing House and you’re not home?
The Prize Patrol will locate its winners at home, at the office or even on vacation. The team once waited for an entire weekend for a winner to return home.
Where does Publishers Clearing House money come from?
Prizes awarded by Publishers Clearing House are funded by company revenue earned from merchandise and magazine offers. No purchase is necessary to enter to win.
Does anybody really win Publishers Clearing House?
Yes. The sweepstakes is legitimate, but the big prizes are sought by so many people that the odds of winning are slim. According to its website, there is a prize awarded about every 10 minutes.

Is Publishers Clearing House real?

It’s rare to be able to enter to win cash prizes with no purchase necessary, but Publishers Clearing House offers that opportunity. The company does have some merchandise and magazine subscription offers with customer perks, but buying products does not increase your chances of winning. While Publishers Clearing House is legitimate, it does send its subscribers lots of marketing communication, and the overall odds of winning large prizes are small.

Publishers Clearing House Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Publishers Clearing House?

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

For years I've entered the PCH sweepstakes and they always say you needn't buy anything in order to win. This year I tried once again and was advised via letter that I would receive my final documents for entry within two of receipt of said letter. The documents didn't arrive for another TEN days; this was AFTER the drawings were held. I felt compelled to write this review because this sort of behavior has been going on for years and someone has to say something. SHAME ON THEM!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2021

I have been playing Publishers Clearing House for decades. Most recently, online. While I did make purchases earlier, I WONT EVER AGAIN. I know they say "purchase not required" but I felt SOMETHING was holding me back from even the tiniest prize. NOW, I have accumulated OVER >TWO HUNDRED MILLION TOKENS< and NOT WON the smallest prize NOR first CENT of money! Those who play regularly KNOW "Black Diamond" status (second highest!) is no small chore. I have "redeemed" ALL OF THOSE TOKENS and..nothing.

FIRST, to offer "Games" with ODDS HIGHER THAN the COMBINED POPULATIONS OF INDIA AND CHINA to ONE should be banned! It is a SCAM because I'm surmising they get "pay per click" funding and YOU MAKE THEM THE MONEY while NO REALISTIC Winning odds! Curious, I began to research "Winners" this I found: Here are ALL the OVER One Million dollar winners I could find - HAGMAN - 1MM; JONKER -1MM; MARSHALL -1MM; FEDER - 1MM; and FELDMAN{!} 2.5 MM! Check your Hollywood-similar name rosters and SEE if you can draw a conclusion!

Yes, others "win" smaller but NOT at this ratio! Check out the names of PCH hierarchy too. The Federal Trade Commission should investigate this, but, my guess, is they would be paid off too. Like so many of YOU, I am just an ordinary citizen and Disabled Veteran. Except for Lotteries and Sweepstakes, there is NO other path to wealth for Us. Jackpots are everyone's goal BUT NOT a SINGLE CENT with all that entry tells me something IS WRONG! There is ZERO TRANSPARENCY.

I have contacted PCH numerous times about Winning/Winners. HOW many times has someone played to Win? HAVE they won smaller prizes before? How many entries did they submit when they won a jackpot? DO long term players get beat out by new players when TV ads appear just days before final entry? ZERO RESPONSE! I NEVER ask for personal data either JUST FACTS! SO, continue to play if you wish but I think I'm done and going back to Mega Millions and Powerball where odds are ONLY 300 MM to 1!! I hope this saves some of you more grief and clarifies what I have been through!

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

Been playing for 16 years; so far, I've won a whopping 10 dollars within that time span. I never buy anything for one so that is definitely something they may consider, even with them stating they don't consider it, I've had this account for over a decade, even played when I was in the Military, and since I don't buy anything my account access online, recently started... about a month ago July 2021, has come to a crawl to their servers. It use to be a fast connection.

The snail pace connect means that each entry I attempt to do takes roughly 20 minutes to complete online, that's just one entry and I usually enter into ever chance at winning including the instant wins, just want to see if they are honest about not needing to purchase anything to win the larger prizes. It has been 16 years, I only won 10 dollars, and I never buy anything because there's no guarantee to win anything and the odds are low.

They say I can win but it's a long time coming with a very low pay out of 10 dollars over 16 years I've played, I guess that's their proof you can win without purchase. I never do win big no matter how many contest I've entered; the grand prizes never came to me. No transparency in these contest mean no way of knowing and also mean for me. I will never give them money at a off chance of winning with low odds of it happening. For me it's "Free" which means I may never win. The odds are lower than most state lotteries, that's not the powerball or mega millions; With not knowing if my entries online are being honored and the slowed connection to the site which is recent, it takes a entire day to enter everything, like I usually do, but when the connection was fast it took about 2 hours.

I guess here's to another 16 years of marriage to playing PCH for Free maybe never reaping a large win. I may be the oldest account... It's so low of a chance of winning that I even created a Consumer Report account.... for every game I don't win from here on I will place in a stock account; into passive income dividend stocks and see which will reap more for me... This has been my experience with PCH, I won 10 dollars in the past 16 years and still play to see if I can win. LOL.

Original review: July 15, 2021

This is a 100% fraudulent organization that pushes everyone who enters its sweepstakes into buying its own products and services, most of which are not worthwhile or worth the price that they're selling for. I hate criminals like these people are.

Original review: June 27, 2021

On Feb 9th of 2021, I won $100 on the $10,000 power cash drop bonus game at 9:30 am. They sent me an email congratulating me. They said it will take 3 to 5 weeks to get paid. After contacting them they say they will "reissue" the check. Well, you can't reissue something that was never issued in the first place. So as requested, I sent them the screenshot of my winning. Which is stupid because they know I won.

They are scam artists and complete frauds. Stay away. They think they can get away with it. Because they do everyday. What they don't know is that my son works for a high profile law firm as an attorney. You would think they would be smart enough to know they have lost lawsuits before. Well, they messed with the wrong person. If I don't get my $100 soon, which I won fair and square, they will be sued again and have zero chance of winning. But hey, if they are dumb enough to not pay the $100 and want to lose much more in a lawsuit, I'm all in for that. Don't deal with these scam artists.

Original review: June 14, 2021

I've been entering & playing the Publisher's Clearing House games for more than a few years (almost daily) & have even purchased items through their mail order services since 2013. As for the products received through mail order, the items received were (for the most part) very similar to what was advertised & I really have no complaints about them. Basically, ya get what ya pay for & as for pricing, the individual prices are comparable to what ya might find on Amazon or possibly at Walmart.

However, when you add in the shipping, the pricing/costs of most products can be better through Amazon and/or Walmart. I will say, however, that the quality of the products are good & I've been quite satisfied with the products I've chosen. As for the sweepstakes, I truly believe the sweeps are for real & that REAL people win. Odds of winning are (literally) astronomical, on paper it's easier to win the lottery, however Publisher's Clearing House does not require any investment & therefore more entrants are procured. As for customer service, I'll say the customer service has been top notch. From personal experience, I have returned products that didn't live up to expectations & have received full refunds.

I have even accidentally ordered a product, called customer service immediately & later found the order to have been reversed, with no charges to my debit card incurred. While I realize that others have posted negative reviews related to their own experiences with customer service, I'm a bit confused when reading about their experience as mine has been very pleasing. Maybe it's because I don't expect more than I should from a mail order type business, or maybe it's just dumb luck (I don't really think this is the case) but I definitely disagree with those reviews. Also, I've won $10 on 2 occasions & believe (in my heart of hearts) that the big win ($1k /day for life) is absolutely real & I remain hopeful that one of these jackpots have MY NAME on it. That said, I will continue to enter the sweeps nearly every day until I do win & after I HAVE WON, I'll continue ordering products through their mail order offerings for the rest of MY life!

Original review: May 23, 2021

I am here to report a definite scam by Publishers Clearing House. I played the game Tri Peaks Rush and was number one leading the token board up until midnight when the game ended. My name was Kris H on the token board, at the top. I should have won the $100 promised, but they won’t recognize that I won at all. They say they have no record of me even playing under my email address, even though I played for 5 hours straight. I sent them a snapshot of the board showing I was number 1 right before the time was up to play the game. It still made no difference to them. They are a scam for sure. I am so disappointed as I have played for hours on end for over a year, and for them not to acknowledge that I won the $100 is beyond comprehensible. I will not play, ever again.

Original review: May 18, 2021

PCH isn't a scam but folks need to manage their expectations. The odds of winning even small prizes are in the millions, it's aspirational and not an effective way to make money. It is basically a lottery, but instead of buying tickets with money you buy them with your personal data and time watching ads. I feel that elderly folks in particular need to be very careful and read through what they're clicking on. No purchase is necessary, you just need to keep clicking "continue" at the bottom until you're entered. Spam email can be avoided by always unchecking the boxes that say "yes, sign me up for the mailing list" and also creating a separate email account just for giveaways just in case.

Original review: April 7, 2021

I registered for the sweepstakes. When I completed, they prompted me to complete the process. It then became obvious they wanted me to purchase something. No cost or obligation, remember? I stopped the process. Now they keep harassing me with these emails to complete so I can "win". Stay away!

Original review: March 5, 2021

The number associated with my current review is **. This is the number I was called from saying I won the sweepstakes!!! I keep calling this number and they kept telling me they would call me back. The last time I talked to him he wanted some kind of card from Dollar General in the amount of $500 dollars. When I refused he hung up!!!

Publishers Clearing House Company Information