1.28/5

Publishers Clearing House

Founded in 1953, Publishers Clearing House is a multi-channel direct marketer of value-based consumer products and magazines. The company calls attention to its products by providing consumers entry for chance to win sweepstakes prizes. No purchase or payment is ever necessary to enter or win. Since 1967 the company has awarded over $228 million in prizes and awards. Consumers seeking direct assistance can contact PCH's customer service division, toll free, at (800) 645 9242.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1807 Publishers Clearing House Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 18, 2019

I reviewed several items, I clicked one item I was considering but backed out of it before giving my method of payment. PCH sent it to me anyway, charging it to my credit card. THAT's FRAUD! The item is almost twice what I would have paid at the grocery store. I tried contacting PCH without success. I finally sent the voucher back with a note, but they haven't responded. I will NEVER play their games again. Most of their merchandise is low quality junk anyway. Why don't they spread the wealth anyway, instead of giving it all to one person? I later bought a paperback book "Wagging Tails in Heaven" because I recently lost my dog. When I received it, It's going to cost me $18.94 including S/H & tax. Target & WalMart have it for $9.70. They're ripping you off, America. It's time to wake up!

Original review: March 16, 2019

I'm so unsatisfied with PCH products due to arriving cheaply made. The mosquito light bulb lasted two weeks, my outdoor ornament lights half never worked then I've had missing items, I'm unsatisfied and not going to pay for cheap merchandise. I make 10 dollars an hour. Work hard and will not pay for these products. Makes me mad because I never took the time earlier to write review. But I'm mad.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: March 12, 2019

I've been entering Publishers Clearing House since 2011 and I haven't won nothing. I'm thinking about not playing the games and entering every day because all I see is people that do win lives in nice houses and already have money. Publishers Clearing House doesn't pick people that lives on monthly disability check and lives in house trailers. I'm wondering if it's all staged. Well that's all I have to say.

Original review: March 11, 2019

I entered the $7,000.00 A Week For Life Sweepstakes in the beginning of March 2019 (Sweepstake Upcoming ~ April 2019). Five times I've proceeded to act according to their instructions stating to finalize my entry. Each day thereafter they are sending me numerous emails saying my entry is incomplete. I understand purchasing an item is not necessary. It makes me feel these sweepstakes may not be legit. How many times must one finalize a sweepstake with PCH? The same instances have happened in the past over the years. Also, I've gained many coins playing their games but was unable to redeem. Is there a party regulating PCH? Thank you.

Original review: March 4, 2019

I just want to say I've read a lot of your reviews and I can understand people being upset over money they've spent and lost throughout the years, but on that note in Publishers Clearing House's defense if you're one of those people like me who actually takes the time to read the small print before just sending off my hard earned money to everything. They clearly state buying things from them does not increase your odds of winning. Your odds are just the same as someone like me who never purchases anything. I just submit for my chance to win, take a few surveys and go on about my day. I know the odds of me winning will probably never happen, but it's worth a shot to try. If you are tired of wasting your money then stop sending it. You're not doing yourself any good. Hope this helps someone out there.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Publishers Clearing House?

Original review: March 4, 2019

PCH never used to be like this. Years ago I could enter without buying something. Now they SAY you can still win but you can't enter the contest without making a purchase. So I made a purchase thinking, okay I'm entered. NOT SO! I received email after email telling me I had 1 more step to only find I'm taken to a bunch of magazine subscriptions and I HAVE to pick one to be entered in the sweepstakes. I thought I'd give it one last chance and pick a subscription. STILL NO GOOD! They kept blowing up my inbox wanting me to buy junk that I don't need.

I feel that it's so dishonest and dirty for them to be stringing people along and preying on us by taking what little money some of us have while we dream of maybe hitting it big even though we know how very slim the odds are. EXTREMELY slim. Getting struck by a meteorite would be more likely to happen. It used to be fun to enter the sweepstakes and dream. Don't bother even trying now. They took that away.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

Their games freeze stop working. It is really hard to contact them. When I try sign in it take me to an old email. The only way to contact them is by phone. Why is it so hard to contact them? Do they give away all that money? Do you really win all those prizes? Why is not in my state tv show.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I signed up for the "Win the 7,000 a week for life" contest. I kept getting emails that my entry was incomplete. I would click the button presented in the email, thinking this would take to where I needed to finish my entry, but it just was pages of stuff they were trying to sell. The drawing was yesterday and today I got an email saying to make sure I completed my registration for the next drawing in April because the one for 02/26/19 was not received and incomplete. So many emails trying to get me to order by threatening that my registration was incomplete. What a waste of time.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

This week of February 18th to the 25th PCH has gotten EXTREMELY UNETHICAL by not allowing clients to get through the game cycle and thus compete for the big prizes. These SK-II ads are 48 seconds and are played in between each game. Considering there are 100's of games to complete before an entry is considered valid... the time it now takes went from 1 hour or 1.5 hours to over 4 hours with a VERY fast internet connection and computer. They suck... They've started this last week by having some pop up that read "I agree PCH uses ads"... Well same manipulative/coercive programming was involved... A person could not advance on any game/search/ whatever unless you clicked "I agree". There was no button for disagree or even opt out.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2019

I have been playing for 4 years everyday and have over 120 million tokens and all I have won and in all this time is $35. I have ordered 2 products and didn’t get my savings so they charged me full price plus I had to pay all at once or I would have been charged late fees. My second order took 4 months to receive. I am not very happy and will never order anything again.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

My problem is not that I haven’t won anything with token. With so many people involved, one’s chances of winning anything is slim. My problem is with the changes PCH has made in the past 4 or 5 months and, starting within the past month, terribly disappointed and frustrated with the company. I have ordered items from their long lists over the past year. I think my first buy were bath mats that I really like. Gold Coast microfiber bath mats. The tag on the mats state they were made in China, how to wash them, do not put in dryer, etc…but there’s a warning too: FLAMMABLE: (FAILED U.S. DEPT. OF COMMERCE STD., FF2-70) SHOULD NOT BE USED NEAR SOURCE OF IGNITION. No one smokes in my house, but there may be a problem for those who like to um…sit and smoke a cigarette.

More recently is the problem with advertising. It’s why I’m ready to quit PCH. To be fair, I understand that it’s the advertising that helps pay the winners of the big monetary prizes. Yes, what the players buy too. I have ad blocking software on my computer. It seems to have stopped working on PCH games. It used to be that I would have to pause the ad blocking on certain games and I didn’t mind. Most of the ads were short. Several months ago, I was unable to get onto certain games if the ad blocking software was in use. Now, even with the blocking ON, the video ads are there. It takes time (5 to 15 second) for the ad to ‘load’ before the game or card. The ad itself can be anywhere from 14 to 60 seconds.

Then, it takes time for the game itself to load. If you’re playing KENO, a timed game of 5 sets of 4 cards each, you lose time - anywhere from 30 to 75 seconds for each ad. And now, you don’t get to play those last 2,3, or 4 cards. The ads are distracting…and other favored statements. Today, I saw the same 2 ads. One was 35 to 40 seconds and the other was 55 to 75 seconds. The timing includes the ad ‘load’, video ad, and game setup. I tried playing several different games. The same 2 ads were there. I’m never going to win anything. I did enjoy some of the games that required a quick eye and click on the mouse. Today I got distracted and frustrated with the same long ads. It’s time to stop. I have other things I could do – and should be doing – with my time.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

Been playing the entries on the app. It is glitchy and makes you watch these ads then says error and does not give you the tokens. This is a rip off. Don’t waste your time. It’s a scam. Going to report to Calif Attorney General. This is an absolute rip off.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I went to PCH.com website to enter the "free" $2500 per week sweepstakes today. Should be a quick and easy process. But it takes you through all kinds of items that it wants you to purchase (although it doesn't affect your ability to win or lose). I went through 6 or 7 different screens of products, each page reminding me that my entry isn't complete until I "activate" my shopping account. PCH used to be a really fun thing for people to enter back when I was a kid, but anymore, it's just a big scam to get people to buy junk that they don't need. Even the "FREE" item you get from them requires that you pay shipping. I will NOT be trying to enter their sweepstakes again. I don't like strongarm shopping sites. If I want to buy junk online, I can find sites to do that. If I want to enter a sweepstakes, that's ALL I want to do on that site. Shame on PCH.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I ordered one of their knife sharpeners second week in Nov. for delivery in Dec in time for Christmas. Finally in third week in Feb, I called and complained and they said it would take 2 - 4 weeks for delivery. Also, years ago I ordered a piece of jewelry. Cut and attractive but when it got wet, it tarnished and the "silver" finish disappeared to be replaced by some kind of gray powder. These people are a scam. Never again will I order anything they offer. It is all crap!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I enter PCH contests online because they're free. Almost 40 years ago, I won $100 from them. They award "tokens" for entry attempts. I built up enough tokens to get bumped up one "level" to another. A screen popped up congratulating me, and giving me a "spin" on a "prize wheel" for this achievement. I clicked to "spin" the "wheel", AND IT STOPPED ON "You WON $700." There was a ding-ding-ding noise, and then that screen was replaced just a second later with another that said "Congratulations! You won 25000 tokens." Wha-a-a-t??? What happened to the $700??? Well, I have been entering their contests for over 40 years. When the last one is over - Feb 2019, I am going to "spend" all my "tokens" on the least popular prize, and then delete my account. I am done with them.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

I made the mistake of entering Publishers Clearing House online, and ended up playing stupid games for tokens. Never won any money and received 50 e-mails a day. Some appeared to be strong armed, and I stopped and unsubscribed. I have never met anyone that has won, and I had to go through pages of junk. I just got tired of it, and read the reviews here. It is so liberating not to have these e-mail clogging up my inbox. No one should play, as there is a 2.4 billion chance per one that you'll win. Scam Alert.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

So I purchase three items from PCH, because they say the small payment you will make every month, well I received my items just what I asked for, but when I went to try to pay for each of these items online, they put the FULL BALANCE up instead of breaking it down by installment. So I just wanted to WARN anyone who is thinking of paying ONLINE for each item installments you can’t. It asking for the whole BIG lump sum. So what I learned is you have to pay those little installments over the phone. So just be AWARE of that.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

Was entering contest in February and forced to review catalog every other line. They kept thanking me for order and when I logged out I received immediate order for Shammies. Called customer service immediately. Rep claimed they had no record of me. She conferred with supervisor who said to wait for order confirmation email. Got that 2 days later and filled out online form to cancel order. Filled that out 3 times and would not accept it. Have tried to call customer service many times. Am always put on hold. This company is 99% unreputable. Would never recommend them and I had ordered from them for over 30 years.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

315-745-3378 Is another phone number that keeps contacting me in re “5.5 million dollars & a car PRIZES.” Scammers seem 2 share people’s information. And, how do they target people? It is quite upsetting. Do NOT PLAY INTERNET GAMES!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

IDENTIFY THEFT. Dont give PCH your credit card info. I bought a magazine for 1$. PCH tried to bill me for over 400$! Dont trust them! Dont buy from them! Luckily my bank caught it but now I have to change my bills online and get a new card due to my old card now being stolen!!!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I placed an order on 1/29 for $23.53. Two days later Chase notifies me of a charge for $22.45 from PCH. I called PCH customer service and they tell me the second charge was for the order I placed on 1/29. What? I was already charged for that order! So I canceled the order and now have to get a new credit card. Beware! I'll never order from these ppl again.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

To all participants in PCH games: get in your head that all “entries” go directly into a trash can. Winners listed are bogus, award dates are years in advance (read the game rules small print). No one wins cars.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I put an item in the shopping cart and went on to try to "complete" the sweepstakes entry. I did not complete the entry due to having to go through a myriad of pages trying to sell me everything under the sun, nor did I "check out" to complete the purchase. The item was sent to me anyway. I assume they will bill me for it whether I send it back or not. They send you one more last final entry, over and over. I do not want anything more to do with Publisher's Clearing House. It's all a scam.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I received an advertisement from Publishers Clearing House and looked at the items they offered for sale. I decided to give it a try and purchased the "Security Lights" since you did not have to send any money now and could make 5 partial payments until paid for. The price was 19.95 plus shipping, handling, processing and tax for a total of 28.96. I divided that price into 5 installment payments and have sent 2 payments thus far. Both on time. Now I am getting a ton of emails and letters in the mail stating, "Total Amount Due 17.36. Payment Due Upon Receipt."

If you go to the payment option on the PCH Website, it will not let you make a partial payment. You have to pay the full amount due. Needless to say, I will continue to make partial payments until item is paid off and then I will never make another purchase from PCH. Nor am I interested in entering their sweepstakes scams. Every time, you enter, they tell you it has been narrowed down that someone in your area (zip code) will definitely be selected and they have mapped out directions to your location. Then for some reason, the sweepstakes is extended or they were not able to contact the winner. Hmmmmm.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

This company is a joke. They get your hopes up by saying you could win $5,000 for life, and when you sign up, here comes the barrage of offers and prizes you don't need to buy. I went through 4 pages of trying to get out of buying something. Finally it comes to a video it says you need to watch while it processes your entry. The video doesn't play and when it says it's done processing, it doesn't do anything. I had to refresh the page just for the same thing to happen 3 times. Don't waste your time or money on this scam.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

I am almost 60 years old and have always dreamed of winning at PCH. I started entering their contests decades ago via snail mail in my 20's always buying magazines from them since I had a chance to win big money. I have spent many hours filling out all of the paper forms and contests and much on magazines, postage and dreams. I never won anything. Now comes the age of computers. For the past couple of years I did buy some of their items. One was supposed to be a wooden shoe holder, but when I got the box it was so light that I wondered if there was anything in the box, showed it to the postal clerk and decided to return it unopened. I did get a few items, an example would be the Bell and Howell lantern that met my expectations for quality, but I spent more on it than if I would have gone to Amazon or Walmart online.

During my time of buying every week or month I did "win" 2 $10.00 checks. After I returned many items, I noticed that I was no longer getting the items to review attached to the contests. Yep, they blocked me. Some time has passed and now I am getting the items to review again, but I just scroll through them, sometimes looking at what they are made of, and have never purchased anything since. In particular, I looked at a checkbook cover with a cross on it. It looked like leather in the picture. You would get 2 for the price of one. When I looked at what it was made out of, the listing stated PVC, so plastic. I believe the cost was $10-$15 for the 2 plus shipping and tax.

Anyhow, for some reason I have never won anymore $10.00 checks. My mind though does have me still entering the contests and still wishing for something more than $20.00 for all of my decades of loyalty. There seems to be a lot of psychology involved here. Like some of the other reviewers I too have noticed that some contests go to nobody at the end of the contest expiration date and the date gets pushed forward. I have also noticed on the Lotto that in the area of where you can check your numbers, I have not been able to find all of the lotto cards that I played. Who would ever know if their numbers matched? These are some of the negative parts of PCH. I have also noticed that online their sites have so many ads on them other than what they are selling that the system runs very slow.

To combat this I use ad blockers, but PCH must have their computer wizards getting around the blockers from time to time and I found that you have to change or update the blocker to remove the ads. Now, the positive part of PCH is the ability to use the computer and enter the contests and play the token games. The token games in particular are good for keeping the aging mind active. They are free and you never win anything, but you play them never hoping to win anything. They do offer $100 to the highest token winner, but sometimes I just look at the high scores for some of the games, wondering if the numbers are even possible.

My recommendation is to always dream of winning one of their contests, but don't plan on winning. One must remember, PCH is a business, not your friend who is going to make you wealthy. They say that winning is free. If you enter the contests and play the games and keep the system truly free, you will never lose a dime but can still have the hopes and dreams of winning.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I enjoy playing PCH. But I found that the end dates changed on two online sweepstakes. The dream house and the million dollar plus bonus. I have a copy of the sweepstakes facts that say the end dates were 12/31/18. Now they are 12/31/19. When I called and emailed, I was given vague answers. I was under the assumption that end dates cannot change. Is this common practice with PCH?

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I am not sure the Publishers Clearing House "no purchase necessary to enter" is really free? I hope it is. I was prompted by several emails and have still not received a entry confirmation number. They keep saying you are almost done, prompting buy one more thing??? There was no option "click here" to enter free listed anyplace on their site. I seldom buy online and I rarely play games. I only wanted to try a free entry. I ended up ordering the least expensive item to continue with the entry process. I am not giving a bad review, only questioning the "free to enter" wording.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I started to fill out their form as many have mentioned thinking that it's 'free', well, it isn't as the site has some circular logic that prevents you from 'canceling' out of the program, after seeing that it forces you albeit surreptitiously to buy something anything before it let you go, I went back to the form and deleted my information - or so I thought despite this and my never completing their program have received a light bulb for $14.95 a with shipping of $5.99 and $1.83!!! This is beyond ridiculous, and highly unethical. As many have pointed out.

However, as this is a convenient conduit to vent frustration the question remains - what is the Consumer Affairs site/organization doing to stop this??? It seems ludicrous that with so many complaints nothing is ever done. The only way to get them off your back is to pay, so they win, but why isn't something done? I recommend people write the attorney general's office of their state complaining for some action to be taken, the consumer protection and various organizations seem incapable or unwilling to do so.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

This entire thing is a scam. You enter follow all steps and then a final page as no options other than entering a game etc. You then wonder where you go as no other buttons exist to finalize? You check out and the next day you get another email telling you're not finished, on and on and on... all while saying no purchase necessary. No credibility at all, this has become a behavioral reinforcement scam to keep you performing over and over in the hopes you will give in and take in offer.

Publishers Clearing House Company Information