1.29/5

Publishers Clearing House

Founded in 1953, Publishers Clearing House is a multi-channel direct marketer of value-based consumer products and magazines. The company calls attention to its products by providing consumers entry for chance to win sweepstakes prizes. No purchase or payment is ever necessary to enter or win. Since 1967 the company has awarded over $228 million in prizes and awards. Consumers seeking direct assistance can contact PCH's customer service division, toll free, at (800) 645 9242.

1822 Publishers Clearing House Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

I made the mistake of entering Publishers Clearing House online, and ended up playing stupid games for tokens. Never won any money and received 50 e-mails a day. Some appeared to be strong armed, and I stopped and unsubscribed. I have never met anyone that has won, and I had to go through pages of junk. I just got tired of it, and read the reviews here. It is so liberating not to have these e-mail clogging up my inbox. No one should play, as there is a 2.4 billion chance per one that you'll win. Scam Alert.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

So I purchase three items from PCH, because they say the small payment you will make every month, well I received my items just what I asked for, but when I went to try to pay for each of these items online, they put the FULL BALANCE up instead of breaking it down by installment. So I just wanted to WARN anyone who is thinking of paying ONLINE for each item installments you can’t. It asking for the whole BIG lump sum. So what I learned is you have to pay those little installments over the phone. So just be AWARE of that.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

Was entering contest in February and forced to review catalog every other line. They kept thanking me for order and when I logged out I received immediate order for Shammies. Called customer service immediately. Rep claimed they had no record of me. She conferred with supervisor who said to wait for order confirmation email. Got that 2 days later and filled out online form to cancel order. Filled that out 3 times and would not accept it. Have tried to call customer service many times. Am always put on hold. This company is 99% unreputable. Would never recommend them and I had ordered from them for over 30 years.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

315-745-3378 Is another phone number that keeps contacting me in re “5.5 million dollars & a car PRIZES.” Scammers seem 2 share people’s information. And, how do they target people? It is quite upsetting. Do NOT PLAY INTERNET GAMES!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

IDENTIFY THEFT. Dont give PCH your credit card info. I bought a magazine for 1$. PCH tried to bill me for over 400$! Dont trust them! Dont buy from them! Luckily my bank caught it but now I have to change my bills online and get a new card due to my old card now being stolen!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Publishers Clearing House?

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I placed an order on 1/29 for $23.53. Two days later Chase notifies me of a charge for $22.45 from PCH. I called PCH customer service and they tell me the second charge was for the order I placed on 1/29. What? I was already charged for that order! So I canceled the order and now have to get a new credit card. Beware! I'll never order from these ppl again.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

To all participants in PCH games: get in your head that all “entries” go directly into a trash can. Winners listed are bogus, award dates are years in advance (read the game rules small print). No one wins cars.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I put an item in the shopping cart and went on to try to "complete" the sweepstakes entry. I did not complete the entry due to having to go through a myriad of pages trying to sell me everything under the sun, nor did I "check out" to complete the purchase. The item was sent to me anyway. I assume they will bill me for it whether I send it back or not. They send you one more last final entry, over and over. I do not want anything more to do with Publisher's Clearing House. It's all a scam.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I received an advertisement from Publishers Clearing House and looked at the items they offered for sale. I decided to give it a try and purchased the "Security Lights" since you did not have to send any money now and could make 5 partial payments until paid for. The price was 19.95 plus shipping, handling, processing and tax for a total of 28.96. I divided that price into 5 installment payments and have sent 2 payments thus far. Both on time. Now I am getting a ton of emails and letters in the mail stating, "Total Amount Due 17.36. Payment Due Upon Receipt."

If you go to the payment option on the PCH Website, it will not let you make a partial payment. You have to pay the full amount due. Needless to say, I will continue to make partial payments until item is paid off and then I will never make another purchase from PCH. Nor am I interested in entering their sweepstakes scams. Every time, you enter, they tell you it has been narrowed down that someone in your area (zip code) will definitely be selected and they have mapped out directions to your location. Then for some reason, the sweepstakes is extended or they were not able to contact the winner. Hmmmmm.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

This company is a joke. They get your hopes up by saying you could win $5,000 for life, and when you sign up, here comes the barrage of offers and prizes you don't need to buy. I went through 4 pages of trying to get out of buying something. Finally it comes to a video it says you need to watch while it processes your entry. The video doesn't play and when it says it's done processing, it doesn't do anything. I had to refresh the page just for the same thing to happen 3 times. Don't waste your time or money on this scam.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

I am almost 60 years old and have always dreamed of winning at PCH. I started entering their contests decades ago via snail mail in my 20's always buying magazines from them since I had a chance to win big money. I have spent many hours filling out all of the paper forms and contests and much on magazines, postage and dreams. I never won anything. Now comes the age of computers. For the past couple of years I did buy some of their items. One was supposed to be a wooden shoe holder, but when I got the box it was so light that I wondered if there was anything in the box, showed it to the postal clerk and decided to return it unopened. I did get a few items, an example would be the Bell and Howell lantern that met my expectations for quality, but I spent more on it than if I would have gone to Amazon or Walmart online.

During my time of buying every week or month I did "win" 2 $10.00 checks. After I returned many items, I noticed that I was no longer getting the items to review attached to the contests. Yep, they blocked me. Some time has passed and now I am getting the items to review again, but I just scroll through them, sometimes looking at what they are made of, and have never purchased anything since. In particular, I looked at a checkbook cover with a cross on it. It looked like leather in the picture. You would get 2 for the price of one. When I looked at what it was made out of, the listing stated PVC, so plastic. I believe the cost was $10-$15 for the 2 plus shipping and tax.

Anyhow, for some reason I have never won anymore $10.00 checks. My mind though does have me still entering the contests and still wishing for something more than $20.00 for all of my decades of loyalty. There seems to be a lot of psychology involved here. Like some of the other reviewers I too have noticed that some contests go to nobody at the end of the contest expiration date and the date gets pushed forward. I have also noticed on the Lotto that in the area of where you can check your numbers, I have not been able to find all of the lotto cards that I played. Who would ever know if their numbers matched? These are some of the negative parts of PCH. I have also noticed that online their sites have so many ads on them other than what they are selling that the system runs very slow.

To combat this I use ad blockers, but PCH must have their computer wizards getting around the blockers from time to time and I found that you have to change or update the blocker to remove the ads. Now, the positive part of PCH is the ability to use the computer and enter the contests and play the token games. The token games in particular are good for keeping the aging mind active. They are free and you never win anything, but you play them never hoping to win anything. They do offer $100 to the highest token winner, but sometimes I just look at the high scores for some of the games, wondering if the numbers are even possible.

My recommendation is to always dream of winning one of their contests, but don't plan on winning. One must remember, PCH is a business, not your friend who is going to make you wealthy. They say that winning is free. If you enter the contests and play the games and keep the system truly free, you will never lose a dime but can still have the hopes and dreams of winning.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I enjoy playing PCH. But I found that the end dates changed on two online sweepstakes. The dream house and the million dollar plus bonus. I have a copy of the sweepstakes facts that say the end dates were 12/31/18. Now they are 12/31/19. When I called and emailed, I was given vague answers. I was under the assumption that end dates cannot change. Is this common practice with PCH?

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I am not sure the Publishers Clearing House "no purchase necessary to enter" is really free? I hope it is. I was prompted by several emails and have still not received a entry confirmation number. They keep saying you are almost done, prompting buy one more thing??? There was no option "click here" to enter free listed anyplace on their site. I seldom buy online and I rarely play games. I only wanted to try a free entry. I ended up ordering the least expensive item to continue with the entry process. I am not giving a bad review, only questioning the "free to enter" wording.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I started to fill out their form as many have mentioned thinking that it's 'free', well, it isn't as the site has some circular logic that prevents you from 'canceling' out of the program, after seeing that it forces you albeit surreptitiously to buy something anything before it let you go, I went back to the form and deleted my information - or so I thought despite this and my never completing their program have received a light bulb for $14.95 a with shipping of $5.99 and $1.83!!! This is beyond ridiculous, and highly unethical. As many have pointed out.

However, as this is a convenient conduit to vent frustration the question remains - what is the Consumer Affairs site/organization doing to stop this??? It seems ludicrous that with so many complaints nothing is ever done. The only way to get them off your back is to pay, so they win, but why isn't something done? I recommend people write the attorney general's office of their state complaining for some action to be taken, the consumer protection and various organizations seem incapable or unwilling to do so.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

This entire thing is a scam. You enter follow all steps and then a final page as no options other than entering a game etc. You then wonder where you go as no other buttons exist to finalize? You check out and the next day you get another email telling you're not finished, on and on and on... all while saying no purchase necessary. No credibility at all, this has become a behavioral reinforcement scam to keep you performing over and over in the hopes you will give in and take in offer.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I am amazed that Publisher's Clearing House is permitted to continue to operate the way it does. I decided to enter...why not, I thought. Well, instead of magazines (I remember the old days)...they are offering a huge assortment of items, all of which you pay for in installments plus shipping. That is not the problem. I have followed all the directions, and every day I receive a message telling me that my entry is not complete (even though the previous day indicated that it had been submitted) and pleading with me to look one more time at the huge selection of items for sale. I have continued to do this to see if it ever ends, and so far it has not. (This began on January 1, 2019. Today is the 13th and I have received 27 email messages from PC). I I am not sure I will ever receive an actual number, and I am warning you...do not waste your time!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

My 88 year old mother has thought for years she is going to win! She has spent thousands and thousands of dollars on the junk they sell. I told her many times not to waste her money on such junk...and just go to the Dollar store and buy the same type stuff. She said she had stopped, but I just intercepted a bill from PCH for over a thousand dollars! It's ridiculous! I'm not making this up! I can't believe it! But my Mother does!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

They don’t deserve one star. I have purchased several items but they keep nagging with chronic emails with a slight threat...even though they say “purchase not necessary.” They use terminology that urges you to buy for a higher rating... Would lead you to think your chances are better if you buy one more item...over and over again. And the date for winning seems to be pushed up all the time. So done with this. It would be great to win but chances are highly unlikely.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

Years ago I got so stressed with the numerous mailings from PCH that I wrote and asked them to discontinue spending mail to me. After doing some research, I realized that there was not any chance of me winning and even less than some because I am **. I checked the winners' zip codes against the demographics and it did not surprise me that next to no ** lived in the winning zip codes. The $5,000 a week winner was from Moro, Illinois where the population is 99.6% **. It is a shame that this company sends a mountain of mail to me knowing I would never, ever win. So, my request to PCH is to send your mail to those zip codes that you seek your winners.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I figured out I've been spending AT LEAST $10 a month postage on PCH entries - each entry telling me I need to make ONE MORE entry before I'll be in the latest drawing, and I'll be BETTER OFF buying $10 worth of LOTTO tickets monthly, which is EXACTLY what I'm going to do INSTEAD from now ON!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

My mother-in-law died and I had to cancel all the nonsense she got herself involved with concerning PCH. Being of sound mind and ability, I can't begin to tell you how difficult it was. They kept sending packages even though I returned them without opening them and told them to close her account. They kept charging her for the packages I returned. I called them to stop sending those large packages of junk to her house. I had to call them three times to actually get them to stop. I have been on the phone numerous times to cancel the TV guide subscription which should be a HUGE refund.

They kept hanging up on me and once you hit "3" to cancel an order, the automation sends you in a loop "I'm sorry, I didn't understand that entry". I feel bad for the poor elderly who have to deal with this and can't stop it. And I bet PCH takes them to court if they don't pay for the ** they send to them monthly. IT IS OUT OF HAND! SHUT THEM DOWN! Once I told them all our conversations were being recorded, they assured a refund within two weeks. Go figure.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

I have entered for years, & never won a damn thing! No one I know has, either! They are fake, & want you to jump through their stupid hoops! They must know that I'm desperate for money???! Fake creeps! Shut them down! They deserve to be in prison!!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I got a package today of products that they offer. I didn't order it and I will not pay for what I didn't order. My husband said he didn't order them either. This is the second time this has happened. I hate it and will not enter their stupid contests ever again. I am miffed and will book no guff from them. I wonder how many other people are scammed by them like this. The package this time was 3 light bulbs and the full price for three bulbs is some 18.00. I can get these very bulbs for 4 dollars at my local Dollar General or Family Dollar store. I am a frugal person and would never order lame bulbs like this. In fact I have better ones I bought at the Family Dollar and they are LED. Much better of a energy saving light bulb. They send you merchandise and think they can make you pay for it. Even though you didn't order it.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

PCH is constantly bombarding me with opportunities to enter and win whatever their current millionaire scheme is. They claim their “no purchase” necessary to enter any given contest and yet when you attempt to do that, they continually bombard you with requests to please purchase something and reconsider all they have to offer with these products. And their continual email gets worse with each mailing stating you going to lose this wonderful opportunity to maybe win this contest if you ignore their emailings and don’t purchase something. It’s Bait and Switch plain and simple and they need to be put out of business by the regulators who oversee this stuff because you CANNOT enter to win ANY CONTEST WITHOUT making a purchase or subscribing to a magazine. They already were exposed for tossing out people’s entries a few years ago. Somebody please do something!!! It needs to Stop!!!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

Awful site. They lure you in saying things like "search and win" or "instant win games". The only thing you do is bank tokens. All the emails they send about gaining more entries are cleverly disguised adware. You can search to win but once you search it gives you 250 tokens and doesn't even show you your supposed "entry". Instead you'll be shown a Google search result and a tiny picture saying something like "double entries".

Once clicked you will be greeted by a never-ending list of garbage to buy online. Yeah. That's what I want to do. I want to spend MORE money online in a day than a gambling addict spends on scratchers in a month. All to enter a contest I'm fairly certain no one has ever actually won. Google it. Just look for 1 PCH winner who isn't a fake online personality or paid actor and you'll get zero results. Winners don't exist. The contest is fake. The entries are fake. The winners are fake. The only thing that's real are the dirty lies and the sponsors trying to sell you useless junk.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

So I had accumulated around 50 million tokens. It took me almost 5 years of playing all their games and I figured if I redeemed 50 million tokens all at once I would surely win. After all it took me 5 years of saving them. Surely no one else was going to spend that much in one shot right? Lo and behold I didn't win. Almost 20,000 entries on 1 gift card and I didn't win. I'm sorry but that's bs. It's rigged for sure.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I called day after I ordered something. I talked to a nice clerk. I gave her the two order numbers and my account number. I told her I wanted to cancel the two orders. She said the orders were cancelled. However, a week later I got 3 tins of cookies that were all damaged in into little pieces. Saw the same three tins at a Dollar Store for $1.00 each. I paid $17.20 for the cookies. I got an electric can opener that cost $30.44. Could have a working can opener for $14.00 at Walmart. To boot, the can opener doesn't work. I learned a valuable lesson. Don't order anything from these people. Their items are a big gip. Wish I had read these reviews before I ordered. They flood my email every day, although I have requested to unsubscribe.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I only started entering in the last few months. It is a tremendous amount of work and seems to have no real value. Just tokens, tokens, tokens... Out of pure curiosity I searched and searched for real winners online and can only find testimonials on the PCH blog... Feel like they are paying actors to accept the prize and it's not actually real. You would think with technology today we would be able to find true winners and their testimonials somewhere other than the PCH blog. I mean look at Facebook, you know when someone is at the convenience store buying a soda...

Why can't anyone find a PCH winner testimonial? Seems just too good to be true that someone actually wins to me. I could be totally wrong, just unable to find solid proof. I feel bad for those that have been entering for years and years! I will say you are committed and commitment is a great thing. If you are still entering I wish you the best of luck! I don't think I am going to continue, it just takes up so much time and from what I can see no one actually wins.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I started playing this because I wanted to reach out until the last stone. After a few months playing I received an order on the mail. I never ordered anything and I am very disappointed with them. I don't want you to sent me anything. Now, I'll have to sent it back and pay for something I never ordered. Don't play this games anymore, it's a scam. Deleting this app from my phone and blocking it from my email.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

All of the people that have wrote in before me have said what I have said for years, it’s not right. They can tell you that you are the next big winner and send letters with your address and to make sure you put on a good show for them when they show up! If you are not home they will find me! I am 83 years old, I have been buying in to this crap for 60 years! So why has someone not done something about it, all the money people have spent that they can not afford is just not right, do something please!

Publishers Clearing House Company Information