1.6/5 (1217 ratings)

About Publishers Clearing House

Publishers Clearing House is a direct marketing company that markets magazine subscriptions and some merchandise, including kitchen gadgets, with sweepstakes and prize-based games. Its casino-style games include slots, keno, quizzes, scratch-offs, solitaire and others.

Pros

• Daily sweepstakes
  • Friendly service
  • Free to enter

Cons

• Marketing overload
  • Slim odds

Bottom Line

Publishers Clearing House is a company that offers low-stakes daily sweepstakes prizes. There’s no purchase necessary to win, but the odds of winning are small and playing results in frequent email and mail offers.

Publishers Clearing House Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Publishers Clearing House?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Publishers Clearing House?

Original review: Nov. 8, 2021

I started with PCH about a year ago with low expectations. I wasn't disappointed. Along my PCH journey I was dumb enough to make 4 purchases (they repeatedly make you feel guilty if you don't). I kept it to low dollar items. The quality of the merchandise is so-so. I believe they make a good deal of money just on their shipping charges. I compared the items to what I would experience using Amazon Prime. Prime was not only cheaper on the item, shipping was free and I would have had the merchandise within a week.

PCH took almost a month with each item I bought. So, I'll likely reach Red Diamond status in a week or so, and I'm ashamed to say that with all of the inane ads I've been exposed to and all of buying pleas I've sailed through, I've not won one cent and believe that I ever will. PCH makes for a great time-wasting buddy that will keep you out of trouble (unless you gamble on games). Have you ever met anyone who has won anything on PCH? I didn't think so!!!!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

Since playing the PCH games for a good while now, I have fun. I win tokens, I get to exchange those token for prizes, I’ve won several times, the checks are real. I’m kinda old school and the new games are not really my style. But, pch games are very cool to me. I like to gamble and that’s what pch games does for me. I’m like everyone else, I want to try to win big! But, if I don’t play the games I won’t get an entry to win. You never know what can happen? Who knows, it’s like the song says; “miracles can happen and it can happen to me.” That’s why I like playing the pch games….

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

For years I've entered the PCH sweepstakes and they always say you needn't buy anything in order to win. This year I tried once again and was advised via letter that I would receive my final documents for entry within two of receipt of said letter. The documents didn't arrive for another TEN days; this was AFTER the drawings were held. I felt compelled to write this review because this sort of behavior has been going on for years and someone has to say something. SHAME ON THEM!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2021

I have been playing Publishers Clearing House for decades. Most recently, online. While I did make purchases earlier, I WONT EVER AGAIN. I know they say "purchase not required" but I felt SOMETHING was holding me back from even the tiniest prize. NOW, I have accumulated OVER >TWO HUNDRED MILLION TOKENS< and NOT WON the smallest prize NOR first CENT of money! Those who play regularly KNOW "Black Diamond" status (second highest!) is no small chore. I have "redeemed" ALL OF THOSE TOKENS and..nothing.

FIRST, to offer "Games" with ODDS HIGHER THAN the COMBINED POPULATIONS OF INDIA AND CHINA to ONE should be banned! It is a SCAM because I'm surmising they get "pay per click" funding and YOU MAKE THEM THE MONEY while NO REALISTIC Winning odds! Curious, I began to research "Winners" this I found: Here are ALL the OVER One Million dollar winners I could find - HAGMAN - 1MM; JONKER -1MM; MARSHALL -1MM; FEDER - 1MM; and FELDMAN{!} 2.5 MM! Check your Hollywood-similar name rosters and SEE if you can draw a conclusion!

Yes, others "win" smaller but NOT at this ratio! Check out the names of PCH hierarchy too. The Federal Trade Commission should investigate this, but, my guess, is they would be paid off too. Like so many of YOU, I am just an ordinary citizen and Disabled Veteran. Except for Lotteries and Sweepstakes, there is NO other path to wealth for Us. Jackpots are everyone's goal BUT NOT a SINGLE CENT with all that entry tells me something IS WRONG! There is ZERO TRANSPARENCY.

I have contacted PCH numerous times about Winning/Winners. HOW many times has someone played to Win? HAVE they won smaller prizes before? How many entries did they submit when they won a jackpot? DO long term players get beat out by new players when TV ads appear just days before final entry? ZERO RESPONSE! I NEVER ask for personal data either JUST FACTS! SO, continue to play if you wish but I think I'm done and going back to Mega Millions and Powerball where odds are ONLY 300 MM to 1!! I hope this saves some of you more grief and clarifies what I have been through!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

Been playing for 16 years; so far, I've won a whopping 10 dollars within that time span. I never buy anything for one so that is definitely something they may consider, even with them stating they don't consider it, I've had this account for over a decade, even played when I was in the Military, and since I don't buy anything my account access online, recently started... about a month ago July 2021, has come to a crawl to their servers. It use to be a fast connection.

The snail pace connect means that each entry I attempt to do takes roughly 20 minutes to complete online, that's just one entry and I usually enter into ever chance at winning including the instant wins, just want to see if they are honest about not needing to purchase anything to win the larger prizes. It has been 16 years, I only won 10 dollars, and I never buy anything because there's no guarantee to win anything and the odds are low.

They say I can win but it's a long time coming with a very low pay out of 10 dollars over 16 years I've played, I guess that's their proof you can win without purchase. I never do win big no matter how many contest I've entered; the grand prizes never came to me. No transparency in these contest mean no way of knowing and also mean for me. I will never give them money at a off chance of winning with low odds of it happening. For me it's "Free" which means I may never win. The odds are lower than most state lotteries, that's not the powerball or mega millions; With not knowing if my entries online are being honored and the slowed connection to the site which is recent, it takes a entire day to enter everything, like I usually do, but when the connection was fast it took about 2 hours.

I guess here's to another 16 years of marriage to playing PCH for Free maybe never reaping a large win. I may be the oldest account... It's so low of a chance of winning that I even created a Consumer Report account.... for every game I don't win from here on I will place in a stock account; into passive income dividend stocks and see which will reap more for me... This has been my experience with PCH, I won 10 dollars in the past 16 years and still play to see if I can win. LOL.

Original review: July 15, 2021

This is a 100% fraudulent organization that pushes everyone who enters its sweepstakes into buying its own products and services, most of which are not worthwhile or worth the price that they're selling for. I hate criminals like these people are.

Original review: June 27, 2021

On Feb 9th of 2021, I won $100 on the $10,000 power cash drop bonus game at 9:30 am. They sent me an email congratulating me. They said it will take 3 to 5 weeks to get paid. After contacting them they say they will "reissue" the check. Well, you can't reissue something that was never issued in the first place. So as requested, I sent them the screenshot of my winning. Which is stupid because they know I won.

They are scam artists and complete frauds. Stay away. They think they can get away with it. Because they do everyday. What they don't know is that my son works for a high profile law firm as an attorney. You would think they would be smart enough to know they have lost lawsuits before. Well, they messed with the wrong person. If I don't get my $100 soon, which I won fair and square, they will be sued again and have zero chance of winning. But hey, if they are dumb enough to not pay the $100 and want to lose much more in a lawsuit, I'm all in for that. Don't deal with these scam artists.

Original review: June 14, 2021

I've been entering & playing the Publisher's Clearing House games for more than a few years (almost daily) & have even purchased items through their mail order services since 2013. As for the products received through mail order, the items received were (for the most part) very similar to what was advertised & I really have no complaints about them. Basically, ya get what ya pay for & as for pricing, the individual prices are comparable to what ya might find on Amazon or possibly at Walmart.

However, when you add in the shipping, the pricing/costs of most products can be better through Amazon and/or Walmart. I will say, however, that the quality of the products are good & I've been quite satisfied with the products I've chosen. As for the sweepstakes, I truly believe the sweeps are for real & that REAL people win. Odds of winning are (literally) astronomical, on paper it's easier to win the lottery, however Publisher's Clearing House does not require any investment & therefore more entrants are procured. As for customer service, I'll say the customer service has been top notch. From personal experience, I have returned products that didn't live up to expectations & have received full refunds.

I have even accidentally ordered a product, called customer service immediately & later found the order to have been reversed, with no charges to my debit card incurred. While I realize that others have posted negative reviews related to their own experiences with customer service, I'm a bit confused when reading about their experience as mine has been very pleasing. Maybe it's because I don't expect more than I should from a mail order type business, or maybe it's just dumb luck (I don't really think this is the case) but I definitely disagree with those reviews. Also, I've won $10 on 2 occasions & believe (in my heart of hearts) that the big win ($1k /day for life) is absolutely real & I remain hopeful that one of these jackpots have MY NAME on it. That said, I will continue to enter the sweeps nearly every day until I do win & after I HAVE WON, I'll continue ordering products through their mail order offerings for the rest of MY life!

Original review: May 23, 2021

I am here to report a definite scam by Publishers Clearing House. I played the game Tri Peaks Rush and was number one leading the token board up until midnight when the game ended. My name was Kris H on the token board, at the top. I should have won the $100 promised, but they won’t recognize that I won at all. They say they have no record of me even playing under my email address, even though I played for 5 hours straight. I sent them a snapshot of the board showing I was number 1 right before the time was up to play the game. It still made no difference to them. They are a scam for sure. I am so disappointed as I have played for hours on end for over a year, and for them not to acknowledge that I won the $100 is beyond comprehensible. I will not play, ever again.

Original review: May 18, 2021

PCH isn't a scam but folks need to manage their expectations. The odds of winning even small prizes are in the millions, it's aspirational and not an effective way to make money. It is basically a lottery, but instead of buying tickets with money you buy them with your personal data and time watching ads. I feel that elderly folks in particular need to be very careful and read through what they're clicking on. No purchase is necessary, you just need to keep clicking "continue" at the bottom until you're entered. Spam email can be avoided by always unchecking the boxes that say "yes, sign me up for the mailing list" and also creating a separate email account just for giveaways just in case.

Original review: April 7, 2021

I registered for the sweepstakes. When I completed, they prompted me to complete the process. It then became obvious they wanted me to purchase something. No cost or obligation, remember? I stopped the process. Now they keep harassing me with these emails to complete so I can "win". Stay away!

Original review: March 5, 2021

The number associated with my current review is **. This is the number I was called from saying I won the sweepstakes!!! I keep calling this number and they kept telling me they would call me back. The last time I talked to him he wanted some kind of card from Dollar General in the amount of $500 dollars. When I refused he hung up!!!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2021

They said I ordered magazines from them. I don't get magazines. I never ordered anything from them. I never open mail from them so how could I owe them? I want them to stop harassing me or I will file a formal legal complaint. I am retired and on disability. Why would I waste money on magazines when I can look up anything on the internet?

Original review: Jan. 22, 2021

I ordered a magazine subscription, which I paid for but never received. I just got off the phone with customer service because after over 40 minutes speaking to 3 different people in different departments, their end dropped the call. This happened two weeks ago. When tried to resolve it after 30+ minutes, they dropped the call that time too. This was my 6th call about this, and I just wanted my money back. This has been going on since September and they still owe me $20+ bucks. It is now January 22! I am finally going to let them keep my money not to have to deal with them ever again!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2021

I won a tournament prize as the leader. The prize was 3 figures. They notified me via email. Their site clearly defines that these check go out 3-5 weeks later. I received it as stated. As for marketing, well it is marketing! We don’t go one day without being blasted with advertising until we sleep. PCH clearly states that ordering will increase your chances of winning. Meaning your orders have no bearing whatsoever on your chances of winning.

Using tokens to enter giveaways is like buying raffle tickets. Based on statistics of the number of total entries. There are many ways to earn tokens or cash like in tournaments like I did. Leaderboards based on your level and status, payout in the hundreds if you win. Other top scorers win large sums of tokens. Read everything on all their apps to learn how to make tokens, disclosures and sweepstakes rules. It seems to be transparent.

Now comes the bad part. Their site constantly freezes up during gameplay and in between games. I have followed their recommendations on their site, updated my phone, had excellent internet signal and even played in the wee hours of 12 AM to 5 AM to make sure it wasn’t internet jam. However living in a rural area, not many people using their internet at those hours. No matter the time it continues to freeze after a few games in all apps and site. This is quite annoying and I spend more time reloading the game than playing most times. I have even lost big token wins due to the freezing and incapability of the site’s server. Several times I received technical difficulty messages. Unfortunately, this is a flaw of all video games.

I did question a $40 cash win I thought I should have been notified about. I emailed them with specific details and asked them to look into it. They responded back via email within 3 days. After their response I played my Elite Scratch Card to find it was the same game as the one described. This being the 2nd time seeing this card. It had to be the blurry eyes at 4 AM because I won the the exact prize but now I could see and it was an entry for the $40K prize. So as of now, no complaints against customer service. MOST IMPORTANTLY! There are fake websites out there posing as PCH. Make sure you’re on the official site before posting any negative reviews. I am not in any way affiliated with PCH in the past or present. This is an honest review from a PCH player.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2020

I ordered a gift for a friend in early November. It never arrived, but they asked for payment in an email from their site. A week ago the product arrived with no invoice. The outside of the package was labeled "your replacement order". That was the only package from them. Now, on a fixed income, I do not reply to much of their correspondence. I have not ordered from them for ten years. They forget who their loyal customers were. I called them last Friday and asked for a bill with an invoice to be sent to me in the mail. After some conversation, they acknowledged my request. Nothing has come in the mail from them yet. Now I will keep this present for a while in case I have to return it to them. They will not get another order from me.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2020

After reaching Yellow Diamond level the Wheel spun & landed on $900.00 cash prize. Highlighted in yellow clear as day. Seconds later the box disappeared & it said I won 25k tokens. I called them & they said their info said 25k tokens not $ 900.00, sure. I know what the wheel stopped at, 900. They said they would look into it & over the next 2 days 2 different people called me back with the same nonsense about their software. They ask me if I took a screenshot, ha! In seconds the box disappears. Where's their screenshot of it landing on 25k tokens! It's a fact it landed on the $900.00. They are cheats & should not be allowed to cheat people like they do. Stay away & don't waste your time with these crooks .

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

I have sent two letters to PCH to remove me from their mailing list. The first was October 28, 2020 and November 4, 2020. I have the copies of each letter. I received another mailing from them yesterday on November 18. In each of the letters I asked them in a nice way but told them that I would notify Consumer Affairs and the BBB in their area to no avail. The last letter was addressed to them attention: Marketing Dept. I am requesting your help in this matter. Our customer ID with PCH is: available upon request.

Jan

Original review: Nov. 4, 2020

I am complaining about Publishers Clearing House. I used many tokens to win giveaway #160208, $289.00 to spend on a new lawnmower. I was notified that I had won, the prize amount shown was correct, they said it would be deliver the next day by 8pm. I waited all day and it never came, I tried calling them several times, after waiting 15 to 30 minutes for a technical person, I told them the problem and even gave them my account # and giveaway number 16208. They gave me a number to the games department then I was back on the waiting list I had already been on, so I called back the next day and waited 15 minutes on hold, repeated the same problem to the person he put me on hold then hung up.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2020

A few years ago I played around with the app of Publishers Clearing House playing the games and it would give free promotions to try a magazine for free! A magazine no a subscription of magazines! I drive a truck so last year while gone I was receiving these magazines in my mailbox three different kinds of magazines! So I tried to find a phone number and on a envelope I found they were trying to bill me but there's no number to call only a email to customer service! You send a email and they get back to you and this is how I had to communicate. I explained I did not order these and I wanted it stopped. Customer service said they would cancel this and take care of this. For about two months no magazines and then all of a sudden am getting them again. Am really tired of this and need new avenues to take!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2020

PCH only wants you to buy stuff, you will NEVER win. It's ONE BIG SCAM! I've been doing this for over 10 years & all they want is for people to buy products just to help them out!!! You will NEVER win!!!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

I cannot believe some of you people. You think you can sue them because you do not win? First no one forces you to play their games or enter the contest. Have you even looked at the odds? It is like 3 billion to one that you get chosen. They say in writing that to make a purchase will not improve your odds of winning. So if you buy anything that is on you. I play all the time, for fun! Sure if I could win would be great, but I do not get my hopes up. Get real people.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

Publishers Clearing House is a scam. They send me bills for products that I have NOT ordered. These Devils will then ruin your credit over unpaid bills for junk you haven’t ordered. Call they be stopped!!!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2020

I am going to be contacting an attorney due to the experience I have had with PCH and the $7000 a week for life. I entered the sweepstakes under the contest rules of “no purchase to win” and I have been contacted daily since with emails stating that I still need to finalize my entry by completing the last step. That last step is a purchase of junk merchandise. This is all very misleading and not what they have advertised to the public. All in all, it is fraud. I will get the advice of an attorney and see what happens. And going forward, I won’t ever deal with PCH again.

Original review: July 20, 2020

I have been a customer and sweepstakes player of PCH for 13 years now since 2007 and I am very disappointed and dissatisfied with their delivery services on getting your item or product to you after it's ordered. It has taken me almost two months to get products delivered to me. I know with covid it takes a little longer but pch has always been slower than most places I've ordered items from like up to three to four weeks more and their sweepstakes is a hassle to try to submit a entry. You have to scroll through several pages of items and products they market online to finally get to the submit button and I have entered numerous entries. I would say a good couple hundreds of thousands of entries since 2007 and never won a thing. I think it's just a way to keep you playing. You think a person would win something since that time.

Original review: July 2, 2020

This company is the definition of a scam artist in the purest sense because they have honed their craft. They push the limits of legality through deceptive and misleading emails that ultimately connive their way into convincing you to buy dollar store products at ridiculously inflated prices---they also convince you that purchase isn't necessary but keep buying to increase your chances of course. They prey on the elderly which is why I'm here. A family member nearly drained her savings for this company because they relentlessly bombard people with cleverly worded emails with "fun" illustrations that make it seem like they've already won something.

People that defend them by saying they are a legitimate company have been sucked into this carefully laid trap that winning millions is one click (and purchase) away. They even set the hook by letting people win a very small cash prize initially to keep them coming back and buying. Their email promotions are downright disgusting because they clearly have a legal team that has advised them how to word things to be as deceptive as possible yet still be "legal". Yes, this company is "real" but so were snake oil salesmen. Scams come in all forms.

Original review: June 29, 2020

Order Number: **

Status:Paid

Date:06-10-2020

Called today to ascertain where it is-per tracking number is waiting to go to USPS. As usual have paid high shipping costs to still be waiting. CS person, Ann, hung up on me when discussing situation. I have only used mailed products during pandemic, all come soon except PCH which has always been about a month to 1.5 months while they say should arrive in 2 wks. PCH tried to use excuse of pandemic however, everyone else seems to be able to get products to people much quicker. After ordering several products, they want your money immediately and too long to ship, product quality is usually disappointing. DO NOT RECOMMEND EVER ORDERING FROM THIS COMPANY ESPECIALLY IF A CS SUPERVISOR HANGS UP ON CALLER WHO IS DISSATISFIED AND TRYING TO FIND SOLUTION.

Original review: June 29, 2020

Only after relentless emails and promotions nonstop I ordered some flower bulbs. They took forever to arrive and did not bloom. I paid my bill by check and still got put in collections. I tried to pay online. That is impossible. There is no phone number to call. It is impossible to speak with somebody. Do not do business with Publishers Clearing House. They should be taken out of the marketplace.

Original review: June 22, 2020

This compaNY IS FAKE! I registered because they said for a raffle to win something and then once I am there they made me choose some product and I looked at it, some has price, some don't so I choose the one that don't have price just to be in raffle draw because you need to pick like 2 product for your entry. If I know that it was a tricky way of them getting your money I will never get the ugly country clock and a plastic plate for about more than 30 dollars each so I have bill for over 71 dollars just for the plastic plates and plastic clock.

I just know it after weeks they send me bill that I need to pay I was shocked. I don't know that it was this amount they don't showed the price when I pick it just to have entry. And I just ignore it because I was upset. I shouldn't believe this scam. They report me to credit union because I don't pay them. If I knew that it was this price I don't think I will do it. THIS IS TOTALLY A SCAM. NEVER EVER TRUST THIS COMPANY! They are sneaky and will trick you just to get money from you by using this kind of scam sweepstakes. If I can give zero I would. This time now I suffer for pandemic and they scamming people.

Original review: June 18, 2020

Hands down this is the worst website I've ever had the displeasure of visiting. It's extremely slow and has severe lag. Even after turning off ad block it constantly tries disconnecting my internet. Awful.

Publishers Clearing House Company Information