1.6/5 (1217 ratings)

About Publishers Clearing House

Publishers Clearing House is a direct marketing company that markets magazine subscriptions and some merchandise, including kitchen gadgets, with sweepstakes and prize-based games. Its casino-style games include slots, keno, quizzes, scratch-offs, solitaire and others.

Pros

• Daily sweepstakes
  • Friendly service
  • Free to enter

Cons

• Marketing overload
  • Slim odds

Bottom Line

Publishers Clearing House is a company that offers low-stakes daily sweepstakes prizes. There’s no purchase necessary to win, but the odds of winning are small and playing results in frequent email and mail offers.

Publishers Clearing House Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Publishers Clearing House?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Publishers Clearing House?

Original review: June 4, 2020

I ordered two items, one item started at $17.95 and ended with me owing $33. Same with another item that started at $9.95 and now I owe $22. These are items that I had been able to purchase anywhere without them tacking on all the extra money. I was also charged for two of one item, they did remove the second item but made sure to tell me that never mess up basically and I need to pay attention, somewhat bittersweet result. Do not order from them, the prices are outrageous, by the end you will have doubled your bill. Shipping is outrageous as well. I knew better. Very bad move on my part!

Original review: May 31, 2020

HaHa.. I think that PCH is nothing but a big joke and a scam. and the emails are nothing but a big lie. I got an email said that they was giving out 1 million on May 30 and 500 hundred on May 30 but they did not give anything out on May 30. It was given out on May 27 and the emails said it was guaranteed to be reward but nothing like always.. PCH is nothing but a money market and scammers and IF you go to Googles look up PCH they come up as a scam.

I think they should be sued and where I played for over a 1 year nonstop but the past 4 months my health has got worse and my legs are weak... and it's worse than a job. It's a 7 days a week job and they want you to buy stuff and when you log into the website they make money from it... And when you order stuff it takes a long time and its cheap made but not cheap when you have to pay for it. I think are nothing but actors and when you call them you cannot understand what they say and they cannot understand you...

Resolution response: Sept. 25, 2020

These people did nothing for me. I went ahead and paid their exorbitant charges so I'd get done with it. And now? I'm back on their irritating mailing list. And guess what?!? I'm most likely one of their current WINNERS! Just keep buying crap and mailing in their stupid stamps a fake authorizations...and you know the drill.

Original review: April 19, 2020

Their sweepstakes maybe real, but please! If you're smart don't order any merchandise. They misquote prices and and send you Dollar Store merchandise at exorbitant prices. Those ads they send w/ sweepstakes said $2 a month for 5 months for plastic measuring cups. Now trying to charge me $20 and measurements washed off 1st time. Now I have cups. Coloring books 5 5X6 and 6 regular colored pencils? Supposed to be $10? $22! Paper so thin you only get 1/2 the pics. Colors leak through if you use markers cause pencils don't color well. They are shysters in retail department. 2 cheap thin paperbacks w/ jokes on aging (terrible self-published jokes) $19! Read both in an hour. I would NEVER have ordered this junk for these prices. Inserts had reasonable prices. This is surely how they make the $$ to fund their sweepstakes. You didn't see Ed McMahon advertising this junk. Not sure what to do.

Original review: April 16, 2020

I have been with PCH for many years, even before you started the sales online. Your customer service people are terrible! The token system is a joke. I have play a lot of games and where do all my tokens go? I should be in a hundred with the tokens. I do not understand the mystery gift at all. I suppose to have won that many times. I have bought a lot of things on the internet. Last summer you had a special and you already had my card and claim I did not paid it was your offer to make it monthly. I call customer service and they were horrible and so unkind, who are these people? I got the supervisor, he was not not nice either, but he gave me twenty dollars off. Sometimes I wonder if those people you claim have, really winners? You also double the prize and we complete that and seen like it is a joke too. I would love to get some feedback from you people. I love what I have bought but you push it too much and it appears like if we don't buy we will not win. I am sick of the house thing too!

Original review: April 9, 2020

PCH needs to let people know POSITIVELY that entries are VALID. All else should be clearly identified as extra bonus opportunities ABOVE AND BEYOND THE MAIN ENTRY. I cannot understand how PCH has an "A+ Rating with The Better Business Bureau". The tactics PCH uses have made me highly skeptical of the BBB's reliability. Thankfully, ConsumerAffairs has made it possible to air the dirty laundry of both enterprises.

I ordered ONCE from PCH. Merchandise was shoddy, & overpriced; shipping, handling etc., greatly inflated. AND, they were made in China, from materials that might not pass safety standards in the USA. There was a time when the PCH contests were respectable, fun, & sent by snail mail. Once your entry hit the mailbox, you knew you were in the running. Now they use nasty tactics of trickery, bribery, fear-mongering, and not-so-subtle bullying. One must scroll past tons of gimcracks & geegaws. Then, when you're SURE you entered correctly, you're bombarded with email after email of dire warnings that you missed a critical step! To try to correct the "omission", you're forced to scroll past the same dreadfully expensive cheap merchandise, only to get more emails that you somehow "goofed" again! ENOUGH!

Original review: March 7, 2020

They say there's no purchase necessary to enter but would not finalize until I did. Or to be more accurate, they kept prompting "next step", which were page after page after page of advertisements. I finally decided to order something if there was anything I could actually use. Even after that, I couldn't finalize - more ads showed up. My husband had tried this also and had the same experiences. I saw other reviews from people who said they had won but who had spent a great deal of time doing it, one person said they had won something twice, once $5 and once $10! The odds of winning are very high, I can accept that. The pressure to buy, I can't. The amount of time spent is extreme. I would not recommend anyone bother unless they have nothing better to do with their life.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

PCH advertises no purchase necessary to win.... What a joke! I gave it a try and since entering their 5,000.00 a week for life sweepstakes I have been bombarded with daily emails wanting to know why I haven't made a purchase, and even though I have completed the entry process, they constantly email me saying I need to complete "one more step". That step, of course, leads me back to the order form, where the hard sell continues and they continue to insinuate that my entry will not be valid without an order. I believe this is fraud.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2020

I entered the advertised sweepstakes and have been bombarded with upsell offers, and worse, recurring incendiary and intimidating email follow-ups saying such things as my entry will be voided, or incomplete unless I buy more useless, overstock merchandise, most made in China btw.. PCH should be reprimanded for inappropriate and misleading advertising campaign... It's all a rip-off.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

I am very close to a billion tokens. Though, I've never won a dime. I don't rely on PCH, as I find this gaming to be immoral at every level. However, I do trust God and the Universe to supply my every need. I call and play every day. What I don't appreciate is the mind games, ie: You could soon be very blessed, Retirement may be earlier than you think, Waiting on your response, From the desk of Executive with a name provided etc. I find it to be exceptionally disheartening to day the least. Never ever should this be deemed to be legitimate or acceptable. People's emotions are really high with the prospect of winning, very sad that they aren't taking any of this serious. Notifications such as the ones I've shared has people's emotions extremely high.

Restructuring of their practices should be carefully considered and revised. I play all the Sweepstakes and enter in every way possible, inclusive to the sweepstakes, I play Mahjongg ever single day keeping my own scores and I have never been on the list... And this is factually accurate that I score the highest every day. I should be in the Guinness book for breaking records. Hence, whoever is claiming to read these reviews are fake and lie too. Lastly, who are these individuals winning every 5 minutes???? I couldn't work for a company such as this with no laurels or integrity.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

Publishers Clearing House is nothing but a scam. I have played the games the scratch offs and have entered most of the sweepstakes multiple times and use my tokens on a Amazon Fire stick almost 6 million of them and still haven't won a penny in prizes and sweepstakes. The only then I have gotten from these games and sweepstakes are sent to surveys and different sites to sell something to do someone that has no money that lives on Section 8 that has multiple sclerosis and epilepsy.

I was hoping to at least win something as many times have I played these games and as many tokens I have won. But from what I've seen on television and on the posts on the PCH website the only people who do when are the ones that are already financially privileged and have homes of their own and the ones that can look pretty on television and living with good health and don't have a care in the world so I'm assuming that's the only kind of people that are able to win anything off this bogus sweepstakes.

Publishers Clearing House should be ashamed of themselves for not allowing someone that has nothing to experience what it's like to have something in their life but I guess that's the direction this country is going under President Trump and take care of the rich and privileged and leave the common people and the sick and disabled in the gutter. This country it's supposed to be about equal opportunity but somewhere down the line those values have been forgotten.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

This is a scam, but should know better, if it sounds too good to be true then it probably is too good. They should make it clear before you start what you have to do, not wait until you already entered part of your personal information. This process does not keep your customer as a priority, makes them feel like a token.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

You have to go through several ads. You will eventually get to a point that you have to "apply for auto insurance" or you can't go any farther. Shame on you Publishers Clearing House.. Do better at monitoring your site because it seems like a scam.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2019

You people should be ashamed of yourself, my father is 87 years old and is fighting for his every breath he takes and y'all just keep taking his money and telling him he can this and that. All he wants to do is be able to pay for all the medical bills and maybe leave his grandchildren something when he goes. I hope y'all can live with knowing this.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2019

I've been playing since February of 2014, sometimes for over 24 hours and ALL I've won is a $20 check in August of this year and I'm still waiting on the $5 I was to have received over a week ago. I think pch.com is a scam and rip off of time and energy! They don't maintain their site very well and I've been hacked five times because of pch.com! Their commercials SUCK too! I've been telling them NO pharmaceutical or cancer commercials and now their college commercials! I'm fricking retired! I don't take pharmaceuticals and I don't need cancer pushed on me! I'm really sick of pch.com not complying with my wishes so I don't play near as much. I think it's a scam!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

Publishers Clearing House is making tons of money by having non-stop ads pop up slowing the games down and you think someone may win something every now and then. Pay close attention to the daily game winners and you'll see at least 12 of the same names that win every day, which I'm sure PCH makes up. Prove me wrong!

Sincerely,

John **

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

PCH itself is not technically a scam, but they are advertising scams on their website. After you go to enter their latest big drawing, you are bombarded with page after page of “survey questions” that aren’t questions at all but gateways to scam upon scam upon scam that could very easily fool the less internet-savvy among us. You are not going to make hundreds of dollars per day by working from home, you have not won a $1000 Walmart gift card, and this new trick will not make you lose 40 pounds while you sleep. It is absolutely despicable that PCH would promote this garbage on their own website. This combined with their questionable business practices is screaming STAY AWAY!!!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2019

Publishers Clearing House is a scam. They send you bills for products not ordered or received and bill you. When you enter the sweepstakes, you are actually entering an order and giving them the right to bill you. They will then ruin your credit over unpaid bills for junk you haven’t ordered. One of the oldest scams in America. They love to prey upon elderly people through mass mailings!!! Call your public service commissioner and get this company stopped!!!!! I have called and told them to stop sending mail, opted out under federal privacy but it is still being sent. Let’s team up and form a class action lawsuit for privacy violation laws.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2019

They advertise “no purchase required” and then you have to spend HOURS every day telling them that you don’t want their junk. Beyond frustrating! I haven’t got enough time for this ridiculous company.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

PCH scammers have called me to say I have won 2.5 million and a new car. Currently they have become more realistic by giving you their phone number so you can call them anytime. The caller then asks you questions and gives you his ID number and gives you a combination number saying do not allow anyone to have the combination number as you will need it when they come to your house with a briefcase full of money, a giant cardboard check and your new car. The caller says he will call you back in the morning which he does to string you along making it more realistic. He tells you they are on their way to your house and will call you back in about 15 minutes.

Next call comes from a different guy asking if you are able to pay tax on the car today. He says, "I will explain how you're going to pay your tax" which is when you're supposed to either wire them the customs tax money or go to your bank and do something. They wanted me to pay 1,500.00. This is where I said in no way would I ever pay for anything I have won and ended their scam calls. I know 2 people in my little town who have lost their money due to falling for this same scam regarding winning the PCH sweepstakes.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2019

I have been a PCH member/user for over 30 years, but lately the way they treat their loyal customers is beneath contempt! 1) You send payments in on time each month and apparently they don't enter that information into whatever databases they have! Resulting in sending your account to a collection agency! I have check carbons that are clear proof I paid these liars, for each payment too! Oh yeah, as to their so called "deals" regarding items they offer... they are all made in China! And are mostly junk, not worth any money! 2) Their customer service is a joke! 3) As I said, I have been a member and used PCH for over 30 years, no more! I am done with these liars! They only want your money but you never win a damn thing from them!

There's been others who have used PCH as members longer than I have and also have NEVER won anything! They may be legitimate but how they go about luring folks into their BS... they may as well be a freaking scam like so many out there! Stay clear away from PCH and ignore their slick commercials, no one wins but PCH otherwise!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

They get a kick out of people "trying to win" knowing darn well they full of balonga! I was looking at one of their products but never ordered it but next thing I knew it came to my mailbox,,, I hope this review can save someone from wasting their time and another thing,, They will give your phone number to other companies that will call your phone all day worrying the heck out of you. PCH? No thanks....

Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

I Did not Get The Knife even though I paid for it. When the Knife was delivered I did not get the package, I live in an apt complex. I am not going to order anything from PCH again because of this issue.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

They're are telling me I won 2.5 million but I have to deposit a check they sent me for 6835.00. What scam is this going on now. As soon as I deposit the check call them back and they will bring my winnings to me.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2019

I entered the $2,500 a week contest, and now I get daily emails asking me to finish a "Critical Step" to complete my entry. However when I "Click Here" the "Critical Step" is placing an order, which implies to me that you have to buy something in order for the entry to be accepted. I don't read magazines, and being pushy wouldn't get me to subscribe from PCH if I did.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

I have done just about everything I have been asked to enter play etc, however, have not purchased anything. I even was asked what I would do w/ the winnings.... I stated helping my mother out of a nursing home, helping others, the list goes on. I would suggest not messing with PCH... Plus you can get viruses on your PC.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

I have read SO many bad reviews and it was upsetting. PCH is real. I have won real money from them (nothing big yet, but I am sure I will soon). :) They post their odds online. You just have to play (A LOT). I have over 495 MILLION tokens and will have over a BILLION by the end of 2020. I AM IN IT TO WIN IT. When I have called customer service, they were nice and informative. I only gave them 4 out of 5 stars because, I have ordered 2 products from them that did not work or were broken.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

Interesting that PCH claims that no purchase is ever necessary to enter one of their contests, because just this morning I received an email from them which plainly indicates that it is mandatory to purchase one of the items or subscriptions listed in the email to complete an entry. "WE SEE YOU'VE NEVER ORDERED BEFORE... WILL YOU SAY "YES" TO YOUR FIRST ORDER TODAY?" If you do not order an item, this is the message that pops up when hitting the confirm entry button: "CART EMPTY. This is disappointing, **... We've worked hard to bring you some of our best values in this notice! Are You Sure You Don't Want To Place Your First Order Here? An order here gets you access to more Private Sales and lets us bring you more great deals on items we think you love! Please go back and give one of our incredible, money-saving offers a try today!"

A 'GO BACK' button then appears at the bottom of this announcement, and you cannot proceed to any further steps without placing an order for merchandise. I thought this was illegal? And certainly seems to go against PCH's claim that it's not required to spend money to enter any of their drawings. And yes, this is an actual PCH mailing, not a spoof.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

I have been the top token earner on the KENO contest held every day several times. The first time I ever went the entire 24 hours I had the lead up until the last 20 minutes. I got beat by 300 tokens, 2,407,300 to 2,407,000. Very frustrating! But since then I have won $400 three times, $500 twice and $10 because I hit a cash prize instead of tokens. That is very rare. But PCH is legit and they do pay off. There are no fake IDs there to miraculously stop you from winning.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2019

I have been playing all aspects of the Apple iPhone app for several years. Now Apple/PCH has discontinued the app which provided much higher tokens. PCH pushed people to get the app and now they can’t give an adequate explanation for why they don’t offer it. PCH reps tell you go to the online website to play. When you go to the website you earn 10x less tokens than you did with the app. Don’t buy an Apple phone if you are a PCH player. There apparently is an Android app. Rip off by PCH. I feel Publisher Clearing House has misrepresented themselves.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

I in good faith made 8 orders with PCH. All total $103.00. I get a bill telling me I owe 210.00. When I call customer service it was a waste of time. The boy was very rude in a language I barely understood. Now to be brutally honest I did not realize I am behind on my bill. As embarrassed as I am about that I only add that to try and show how honest with my review I am being. If they allow it to be published. Consumer beware.

Publishers Clearing House Company Information