BlueStar HonorCare

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

BlueStar HonorCare (formerly Blue Star Veterans Network)

Virgil, thank you for taking time to offer a review. We are happy that you are satisfied with your BlueStar alert, and hope you are finding peace of mind knowing that help is nearby when you need it.

Call us at 800-300-1724 if you ever have any questions....we are here for you!

Kind regards,

Kristin & the BlueStar team

Original review: Aug. 27, 2016

I’m 79 years old, live by myself, had a stroke before, have diabetes now and anything can happen. I was very impressed with BlueStar HonorCare because they dealt with veterans and I'm one, so I picked them. The people that I’ve dealt with were very nice and helpful. One time, we had an appointment with one of the individuals at Comcast, but it ended up with the Comcast guy calling me from his personal cell phone. I was given a follow up on it, so that’s really good. All my questions were answered as well. I’m pretty satisfied with the service so far.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

BlueStar HonorCare (formerly Blue Star Veterans Network)

Thank you for taking time to offer a review, Veronica. We're happy that you are happy with your BlueStar device and our service, too!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2016

I have been stumbling and I was afraid that I might be somewhere and fall. I got BlueStar and it's been good. The sales rep and everybody has been very courteous. Even the lady when I called in to check the device was really nice.

Hi, Cheryl -

It was a pleasure to speak with you on February 22. BlueStar is deeply saddened to learn of your husband's passing. Please accept our deepest and most sincere condolences.

I noticed that you submitted a review for us on February 6; Consumer Affairs published your review today, February 23 - one day after we spoke. As we discussed yesterday, we look forward to assisting you with setting up your unit and placing a test call once you are fully moved into your new home in South Carolina.

We are happy to know that you have had a great experience with BlueStar, and we look forward to assisting you again in the future. Please contact us at any time at 1-800-300-1724 if you have any further questions.

Best regards,

Ryan Miner

Director of Customer Service

Original review: Feb. 6, 2017

My husband passed away a year ago, and I'm alone and disabled. I needed a medical alert device because I have a bad heart, and decided to go ahead and use BlueStar. I've been paying for it, but it hasn't been hooked up yet. I talked to somebody that helped walk me through it, but it still wouldn't work. They told me to go and get a splitter on my outside phone line, but I haven't had the time to go and do that. I still want to keep it, but I've got to be out of my house in another month, so I am going to ship the device back to BlueStar, cancel the service, go with another provider, and then try something else. But overall, it was a great experience.

Resolution In Progress

Mr. Olivier,

I'm very sorry to hear about your unsatisfactory service and slow response on the part of our team. We pride ourselves on treating each of our customers as though they are a member of our family, and in your case we fell short. After speaking with you today, I'm gratified to hear that your medical alert device is functioning well and that you feel safe and protected. Please accept a four month credit for your inconvenience, and I give you my word we won't fall short in your eyes again. We hope you remain a customer and member of our family for many years to come! All the best, Gordon Russell, Rear Admiral (Ret.), VP Operations.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2017

I'm not very happy with BlueStar HonorCare for the last two months because this is the third device that they sent me. Each time I got the device, I verify that it was working with them. They were responsive one time when I accidentally hit the button but other than that, it took a while for them to answer and then when they did, they gave a message and then I got disconnected. But other than that, they were reasonably good.

Their reps said they would send me a new unit and that I'd have it in three days. I called them a week later and I don’t think they even shipped it out. So I was going without the unit for six weeks and they couldn’t explain what happened. I was getting phone calls from people on their cellphones and some of them weren't very nice. I had a creditor call me during a concert and I couldn’t shut him up. They weren't asking for me, but they sure went through this device, so it's very embarrassing. About three times it went off and the same thing happened. I just couldn’t deal with that. So, I'm not going to wear it anymore but they'd send a unit and won't charge me for it. And that’s what I just got a day or two ago. This one I'm using now clips around my belt, which I like very much. So far, I've had a bad experience that I haven’t really had a chance to use it properly but it's working.

My BlueStar device has a little plastic clasp on the back and has square corners. And I keep having to move it around because it bothers my neck. They've tried to make it smooth but they didn't succeed. In the future, it might be nice to have a little watch on it, too, so I won't have to worry about my watch and the monitor. I keep running into things I need a watch for and I don't like to wear both.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BlueStar HonorCare?

The BlueStar team was friendly, knowledgeable, and very helpful. I went ahead and ordered their device. However, I never hooked it up and used it, and I'm going to send it back. There's nothing wrong with it, but I have a cellphone that's got a lot of time left on it and I'm going to use that instead and save the money. The only bad part was I filled out a survey and started getting phone calls. The experience with BlueStar wasn't bad, but I've gotten hundreds of calls from places for things I don't need and I've not been happy about that.

My BlueStar device goes around my neck or on the belt strap which gets in the way a little bit sometimes. I would love to have something like a watch or something I could wear around my wrist.

I don't trust myself as far as my health goes. I've had a triple bypass surgery and had numerous stents put in. I've also gone through congestive heart failure and I am fall-risk. I decided to get the medical alert from BlueStar because it's owned and operated by a veteran. It's been fantastic although I got a couple of calls telling me that my battery was low when it was full. I was told they were having a problem with something and were going to be sending a new one. As soon as I got it, I sent the old one back to BlueStar. I've kept telling my friends, who I think should have one, that they should contact BlueStar and get one.

We went with BlueStar HonorCare because they were affiliated with the Veterans since my husband is one, and we had the veterans discount. I was glad that they were very pleasant and informative when I purchased the device. We replaced the battery when it went dead, and we got another rechargeable battery for it. Other than that, the device is doing fine.

I bought BlueStar for my mother and she says she's happy with it. I had researched it pretty thoroughly before, so I knew exactly what I wanted and the reps didn't have to sell me on it. I've only contacted them with regard to making the purchase, and it went well. They were very good.

I saw a blurb for BlueStar on one of the things I was filling out for Publishers Clearing House. I used to have a device from another service and although I never had to use it, I was more looking for price so I went with BlueStar. In the past, I had a brain aneurysm and spent five weeks in the hospital. Then I had surgery again on the same thing earlier in 2016. So I have a device with me when I go out or at home in case something happens. I was very satisfied with it.

People kept telling me to get a medical alert device so I've been looking for one. Somebody from BlueStar called me and told me about the service. I called them back and I liked the man I spoke to. He's a retired military. It's comforting to know that they knew what they were talking about. I got the one that I wear around my neck and I'm glad that the man called to set it up and I felt more comfortable that way.

I have used the button for a test and was trying to understand how the call was going through. The response service that BlueStar provided was good though it took just a little bit longer than it should because I expected an immediate one. But everyone who I talked to was friendly. I only wish that the device was white or something. It's black which I don't like.

One of the BlueStar reps helped me and walked me through they booklet they sent. He told me what I needed to give them access to the house. Once I get the house I'm moving into, I'll put a lock outside and put a box. I definitely want BlueStar.

Resolution In Progress

Hi Barbara,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with our friends at Consumer Affairs. Your feedback helps us improve our organization for everyone's benefit.

We did receive your Emergency Contact form. Thank you for sending that in!

Our records show that you are using our Ranger device, which is the smallest and lightest device on the market at only a little over 1 oz. The Ranger is black so if you rec'd a device of any other color please call right away.

As for the light flashing and other concerns I hope you'll call our customer service team at 800-300-1724 ext. 2.

Thank you once again!

David Coakley

Original review: Jan. 23, 2017

The BlueStar device around my neck is way too big and bulky. I don't know why they can't come up with something a lot more trim. Also, the string was way too long so I trimmed it up and put another chain on it. In addition, I can't tell when it needs to be recharged and I don't know what the little blinking light means. I felt that the explanation about the service was a little lacking and they could have explained it more. Moreover, I tested the device once and the response was quick but I was really shocked because I didn't expect that the person I talked to was trying to sell me something. I'm not sure that the device is even working or how it would work. They could do a little more testing on it from my end.

Lastly, they asked me to fill out a questionnaire where I'd indicate who I wanted to be notified. I was out of postage stamps and I had to wait several days to get a stamp and mail it. Two or three weeks later, they sent me another second request and I had already sent it in at least ten days so, I didn't send the second one. I haven't heard from them back to see if they got it or not. I suggested to them that they send out a postage paid envelope so that if someone didn't have a postage stamp, the response wouldn't be delayed.

I've ordered the model that hangs around the neck. And when I got it, I was trying to get it programmed and I had to call BlueStar. I talked to their rep and he apologized that it didn't have any service where I was so, I couldn't use it. So, they sent me a prepaid label to go on the box, and I mailed it off to back to them a few days ago. My mom used to have one and I'll be talking to some people who have them but I'm leaning towards getting the one that hooks into a landline which is good for 600 feet.

I like my button from BlueStar. It's super sensitive and it does go off if I accidentally bump it against something or if my cat is on my lap and taps my chest but that's okay because I know it's working. I feel bad whenever I accidentally set it off but BlueStar is really pleasant and sensitive about it. They understand that it does happen. The response service is great and I don't have any problem with that at all. I'm glad that I invested in BlueStar. It was some smart move for me and I feel more safe. And I'm just grateful for BlueStar for the veterans.

It was through another veteran that I found out about BlueStar HonorCare and I got their device that goes around my neck. I have three of them. I did a test with their reps and their response was very quick. They were very friendly and they also called me when my battery was low. I'm very satisfied.

I like BlueStar, my iHelp is waterproof and designed to have contact wherever I go. Also, the customer service team is very pleasant.

I had seen a pop-up for BlueStar on the internet asking if I was interested in getting a life alert and I clicked yes. Some days later, I got a call from BlueStar and they had picked that up and told me about the veteran business and so forth. I've been considering getting an alert for a long time and I just turned 76 and not have a very good balance. So I figured it was time for me to get one and everything has been fine. I've only had a couple of calls from the alert people saying that I needed to charge up the unit and so forth. Everything has been good and I'm satisfied with it.

My husband has MS that's why I got the BlueStar. I want him to have it when he's by himself. The only time it has ever gone off is when sometimes I hit the wrong button when turning the main unit over while I'm trying to replace the battery. Everything is going fine except for one battery that will not charge.

I kept falling down for the last month and a half, breaking bones and the doctor told me I had to get a medical device. I like that BlueStar works better and faster than the others. And with BlueStar, I also get to talk to a person whenever I press the button. I'm not talking to a computer. Their reps were also very good people and they know what they're talking about.

BlueStar HonorCare (formerly Blue Star Veterans Network)

Thank you sir! We appreciate your feedback.

~ David C.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2016

When I originally got an alert system from the VA, it had to be tied into my home phone. But I don't have a home phone and there wasn't a way that I could figure out how to tie it into my cellphone so it was really of no use to me. So then I decided to get a BlueStar because it alerts you without having to have a phone. Most of the time I don't have the device with me which is probably not a wise thing to do, but I always have my phone. When I first got it, I wasn't thinking about the fact that I always have my phone with me and it isn't going to give me any good in the shower. So that wouldn't help and I have to pay off this stuff. But I figured I can afford it so I'll just keep it and use it as I can.

BlueStar HonorCare (formerly Blue Star Veterans Network)

Thank you Debbie! We appreciate your feedback. Happy New Year to you and your mom!

~ David C.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2016

I do a lot for the VA, and my husband was killed in the military so somehow, I got some information on BlueStar. So, I called about it and thought that it would be a good thing for me and my mom to try because I’m 65 and she's 81, and we both live alone. I'm the one that took out the thing, and we both like BlueStar. Their team has called a couple of times to check and see how we like the device and checked it to make sure it’s working.

BlueStar HonorCare (formerly Blue Star Veterans Network)

Thank you Areatha! We appreciate your feedback. Please stay safe and have a great New Year!

~ David C.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2016

Someone called my daughter and talked to her about BlueStar. She picked the device for me since I had been asking her about it. I thought it will be best to get something that will keep me a little safe. I live with my daughter but when she decides to make errands, I don't want to be in the house by myself. The BlueStar device is in my bag. This way, if I don't feel like I want to go to church and she leaves me here for a while, then I can call somebody.

BlueStar HonorCare (formerly Blue Star Veterans Network)

Thank you Veronica! We appreciate your feedback and recommendations to others that they consider getting a PERS device as well.

~ David C.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2016

I have a home health care and the lady who came to talk to me told me to get BlueStar. I did but I haven't been using my device since I haven't needed it. But the device is right on point and I would certainly recommend it. I accidentally pushed the button one day and they called me to check. They would also check and tell me when to charge the device.

I've been thinking about getting a medical alert device but I kept backing out of it. But then my niece said that I'm here by myself, I could fall and hit my head, so I need to get one. I chose BlueStar. I'm satisfied with it but I haven't been using the device in the past three weeks. Something went bad on it and it's not keeping the battery charge. I talked to somebody about it the week before and they're supposed to be sending me a smaller device, but I haven't seen it yet.

When I called BlueStar, the first contact person was kind, professional, and wasn’t pushy. I liked that because one wouldn’t find that too much these days. A lot of people would push more than what you need down your throat and then expect you to feel good after. I didn't feel that I was abused or anything like that after I got off the phone with him. I felt good about spending my money. He was the first person I called and right then and there I had already decided I was going to use BlueStar but I just wanted to check out a few others. I don’t like making my mind right away. He called back the next day and I told him I'll go ahead with them.

BlueStar has been real good to me and I've been very satisfied with them. They're the best thing that ever happened to me. The price is pretty okay, too. It works but the only thing I don’t like is it's really bulky. I tried, but I don’t like wearing things around my neck. I'd slipped it in my pocket sometimes but it’ll press the button when I sit down so I just hook it on the belt loop.

Other than that, I'm real happy with BlueStar. It's an answer to my prayer especially that winter is coming up in New York City and it gets icy and cold, and snow build up on the street would get real slippery when it starts melting. I don’t have to worry about having one of my nieces or someone go with me to a doctor’s appointment or go with me to a far point where I might slip and fall because I've got BlueStar. My cellphone is my primary mode of contact with anybody but if I slip and fall and somebody sees the cellphone, they’ll grab the cellphone. But who’d want to grab BlueStar? They’ll make fun of me but they won't grab it. They won't even know what it's for. It looks like one of the beepers from the ‘80s and nobody wants to mess with beepers these days.

My mother died a couple of years ago and they found her face down in the bedroom. She didn’t have an emergency alert system. I figured since I live alone I should get one in case anything should happen. So when I was looking for an alert system, I was trying to get the best value, and BlueStar has the best price. The other ones cost too much. I then called the people at BlueStar a couple of times. The first time was when I asked what it was all about. The next was when I was doing a weekly test and I messed it up, and they called right away and asked me if everything was okay. Now, if I don’t test my device for a week, there's a beeping on the phone when I pick it up. When I test the thing, the beeping goes away.

I had a stroke in 2014 and I live by myself. All my kids live in a different State. I don’t have family around here and there's nobody staying with me. I have no nurse. So I had to get an alert device just in case. I figured that’d be a safe thing for me. I've tried other companies but they cost $100. I'm on disability and BlueStar's $39 a month is a lot better. I have used it twice, and it's been awesome. They came to my house and checked me up. The thing is, I've sent a paper to them with the people to contact in case something happens to me. But when I went to the hospital and I asked my friend if BlueStar called him. He said, “No. But maybe." For the time that I had to use it, it has been really good.

I have myelopathy and my balance is terrible. And I have fallen several times and my husband told me it was time for me to get one of those medical alert devices. I liked the fact that BlueStar was a veteran. I like if I could do things for the veterans. I'm really satisfied with BlueStar. Everybody was very polite and helped a lot. They're also very knowledgeable people and they explained everything to me.

BlueStar HonorCare (formerly Blue Star Veterans Network) Company Profile