BlueStar HonorCare

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

BlueStar HonorCare (formerly Blue Star Veterans Network)

Virgil, thank you for taking time to offer a review. We are happy that you are satisfied with your BlueStar alert, and hope you are finding peace of mind knowing that help is nearby when you need it.

Call us at 800-300-1724 if you ever have any questions....we are here for you!

Kind regards,

Kristin & the BlueStar team

Original review: Aug. 27, 2016

I’m 79 years old, live by myself, had a stroke before, have diabetes now and anything can happen. I was very impressed with BlueStar HonorCare because they dealt with veterans and I'm one, so I picked them. The people that I’ve dealt with were very nice and helpful. One time, we had an appointment with one of the individuals at Comcast, but it ended up with the Comcast guy calling me from his personal cell phone. I was given a follow up on it, so that’s really good. All my questions were answered as well. I’m pretty satisfied with the service so far.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

BlueStar HonorCare (formerly Blue Star Veterans Network)

Thank you for taking time to offer a review, Veronica. We're happy that you are happy with your BlueStar device and our service, too!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2016

I have been stumbling and I was afraid that I might be somewhere and fall. I got BlueStar and it's been good. The sales rep and everybody has been very courteous. Even the lady when I called in to check the device was really nice.

Having BlueStar is a great peace of mind. I got it for my mother. She has high risk for falling so she has the Admiral Protect. I make her wear it anywhere we go or even when she's left by herself so that way I know that I don't have to explain where I'm at and that rescue can get to her ASAP. She had an emergency when she needed the other one that we had before. When we were home and I was able to go ahead and call, they called me back saying we have a low battery because I kept trying to push it and nothing would come across. Come to find out, you had to put it in the carrier case really hard and my mother doesn't have the strength for that one. We changed it to the one we've got now, the Admiral Protect, wherein you don't have to push anything into it. It just lays, so it's much easier for her to use it.

One time, we were at a meeting and my mother accidentally hit it. All of a sudden, one of your people came across that we have an alert. Others were amazed that that's all it took. I gave them the BlueStar's phone number and they got it as well. Also, I was very happy to find out that it was done by military. My dad was part of the military, at Pearl Harbor when they bombed it. He did 25 years in the service and anything that deals with the military, I support. I also belong to Fleet Reserve Association and I’ve gotten at least four other members to go with BlueStar. On the whole, I'm truly happy.

I like that the BlueStar HonorCare device is not limited to a base station. I bought it for my mother and I wanted to make sure that if she falls or if she's not responsive, there's a way for her to get help. So far, the biggest thing that she does with it is make sure that she charges it every two days. It's kind of big and she's often sitting and reading a book so she doesn't like wearing it around her neck. Neither does she wear it on her belt because she doesn't wear one. And if it were to be clipped to her clothing, it would probably pull her clothing down. But she has it and it gives me peace of mind that mom is covered if she falls.

Also, it's great to order from BlueStar. The process was easy and the product came quickly. However, there's a little bit of confusion about whether or not it was activated. And when I pushed the button to call, a prerecorded thing that would come on and it would ask if there was an emergency and I would say, "No, I have a question." And as soon as I said "No" it would hang up. It took several days to resolve and I had to call a couple of people but they fixed it.

BlueStar HonorCare has been great. I'm glad to have them in an emergency. They've treated me very well, getting me started in the program. They called and I told them that I wasn't a vet, but I was married to a vet and I got it in that way. My partner passed away a year ago and I'm all alone so the device was helpful to me. Their reps helped me get it set up and I have nothing bad to say about them. Moreover, the device is easy to wear and I even get a phone call from them to tell me when they get a low battery signal and tells me to charge it again. Overall, they're very helpful and it's a great product. Even my landlord and my sister are thinking about looking into it.

My mom wanted to take off walking and I got her a help button from BlueStar because from my understanding, it's supposed to have a GPS on it. But one time, she got lost. She told the girl who was watching her that she had the help button on her and took off. But my mom didn't have it on and the girl didn't bother checking. My mom could have died, she was up all night long until next evening and it scared the crap out of me. But she was found without the GPS. The guy who I talked to apologized that the device didn't have a GPS where I can follow her and find where she's at. So he got my payments down from $40 a month to $29.

I was also told that my mom doesn't have to push the button if she got all tired. The guy could've walked me through that but I never got a hold of him again. Their team is hard to get a hold of, especially on weekends or late at night. There's a certain time I can't get them because they're on the East Coast and I'm on the West Coast. The hour difference makes a big difference. Then Adult Protective Services came down and we talked to a guy online who said that I had the wrong equipment. So I sent that one back and got another one.

The one I have right now still doesn't have a GPS on it but it works on emergencies. I make my mom wear it and a couple of times she got mad because she doesn't want to. But now she's okay with it. It's a matter of getting used to. However, they should get a GPS because older people are not going to remember to push the button or call. But if we have a tracker on them, we can find them and that would be awesome.

I had a couple of surgeries before then I'm contemplating on another surgery, a knee replacement. I live alone, so if I fall down, nobody will hear. BlueStar contacted me because I was a veteran. They said I could have the Ranger medical alert device for free. The only thing I would have to pay for was the monthly monitoring fee. I have the wallet that has a chain on it, so I connect my device to that. One time, I sat on it and one-time I pressed it by mistake and another time I was just looking it over when I initially got it and I pressed it. I thought I was turning it off and I was actually turning it on. Their response time wasn't as quick as I thought it should be. It took them four minutes, then I spoke to a guy and told him it was no emergency. The people I’ve talked to seemed courteous. I’m satisfied with it, but I'm trying to assess now whether or not it’s worth the cost to continue.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BlueStar HonorCare?

I fall a lot and I never know when I'm going to need help so I got BlueStar. If I'm out and need help, I can get it no matter where I'm at and their price is reasonable. I would recommend BlueStar.

I was looking for a system and my cardiologist referred me to BlueStar. He told me about it because I'm a high-risk. He then got me enrolled. I have the most advanced model. It's a fall detector and also has the speaker included and so far, I've had very good service and response from the company. From the very beginning when I requested information, their reps were really helpful. Lorelie was really clear and very informative about the system.

Sometimes, I get false alarms like when I've taken the device out from my belt and it drops on the bed or when I'm tying my shoes. I have to tie at a certain angle and it senses that I'm either on my way to fall or I fell already. So it detects any calls right away. And I have to inform them not to block the call because in another chance that I really fall and I call, they might think it's not a call. But their guys are doing a great job with the false alarms. I get them on the speaker right away, like less than five seconds.

The only defect that I noticed so far is the clip for the belt. When I take it off to have it recharged at night, it comes loose so I have to pull it out from my belt. So if they would add, instead of the plastic, a metal part that it would attach to the anchor per se, it won't have a problem because it would be quick-release. But with the pendant, it's fine. Other than the clip for the belt issue, the device is good.

I saw an ad about BlueStar HonorCare in a magazine and I got myself one. Their reps were really good and helpful although I haven’t had to call them out yet.

I got BlueStar because a lot of people who works there are military and I wanted to support the veterans. We’ve got a lot of them in the family. I used the device one time and they were very prompt and quick. People that I have talked to were very polite and understanding. I’m glad I got it when I did have an emergency. It gives me a little bit of independence whenever I want to go out and do something on my own. I've recommended them.

We tried several different systems and found BlueStar HonorCare the most agreeable for us. However, I'd certainly like a white cord instead of a black one to wear under my summer clothing. But BlueStar is okay and we would recommend them.

I’m going to be 80 years old and I’m alone a lot that’s why I decided to get BlueStar. Right now, I’m staying with my daughter but normally, I live alone and everything by myself. I travel by myself and I just wanted to make sure that if I was in a hard spot, I could get help. I don’t want to be out there by myself. But so far, I haven’t had to use it and that’s good. Their people were very, very helpful and concerned. They stayed with me through it all and called me when I didn’t do what I was supposed to do, and it just was very nice.

So far, BlueStar HonorCare has been fantastic. The battery has run down twice or three times now then I've got a call saying "Your battery is low" so I go charge it. I call it my dear assistant button but I haven't had any need to push the button yet. I wear it around my neck and I wish it wasn't so fat. I usually wear T-shirts or pull-over shirts and I put it under my shirt so people don't see it and ask questions but it balls out in the front anyway. Maybe it could be something that could be worn on the wrist instead of around the neck.

The salesman said the BlueStar Admiral Protect model would be the best one to get because it’s GPS. It’s a plus that it’s not a cellphone because we have such sporadic cellphone service in our area. The price was also good and I liked the idea that whatever they earn goes to the veterans. I also got it for my wife’s peace of mind. I have the potential for falling so she’s afraid that I will fall when she’s not home. I fell before when I was putting up the Christmas lights, but I was able to get up on my own. I usually don’t wear it when she’s home. She works four days a week so I put it on. Sometimes I wear it even all the way up to bedtime before I take it off even though she’s home. I know the device is working because the other day, I was doing some work in the kitchen and I was laying up against it and I set it off. The dispatch called and said, “Are you having an emergency?” I said, “No. I was just laying on it.”

I had some little problem with the BlueStar team at the beginning but they all took care of it. They sent me the Ranger instead of the Admiral. It was a mix-up in the communication. In two days, I sent the Ranger back. The charger also didn’t work, so they sent me another charger and I sent that one back. The sales manager or CEO of sales called me personally. He gave me his personal phone number and on the charger problem, he gave us two months free service.

I liked the presentation of BlueStar and I’m pleased with it. I’m 88 years old and I had an episode over a year ago. I got one at that time but I passed out and if my daughter hadn’t been here, I don’t know what I would have done. I got one but it was only right here in the house. And I was going up to Maryland and different places and spending some time. It wasn’t any good there. I feel safer with one cause I’m home all day by myself and all. I live with my granddaughter and her family and they’re here most evenings. The only thing is the strings came all the way down to my belly button. The man tried to find a shorter one and they didn’t have it.

The BlueStar team is very nice and knowledgeable. Everything that I asked about, they had answers for it. But I’ve had two advertisements coming up on it. First time it did it, I couldn’t imagine. And then I realized it was coming from my device. It was coming from Disney, telling me that I could come down there for so many days or whatever. And then I called them and told them and they said they’d been having this problem with others. Then I had it one more time. That’s a different advertisement that was coming in, wanting me to buy something. But I haven’t had it now for several weeks now. When it goes off it was so loud and I was afraid to wear it out cause I was going to therapy in different places and afraid it would go off but it hasn’t.

I’ve fallen a few times and when I fell I didn’t know I was sick. So we decided that I needed to have a call button just in case that it would happen again. My brother’s a veteran and that I could be part of Bluestar. He’s the one who set the alert device up and got it. I tripped over my feet and fell down the last time. I was trying to get around my cat without disturbing it. I didn’t know if my brother was home or not from his vacation so I used the button and I feel good about the service. They responded in seconds.

The Ranger Medical alert from BlueStar was necessary since I fall quite often. It was the lesser model from what they have since I didn't quite need the stuff that the other model has. It was easy to set up and they were really nice and explained everything well to me. Also, I wanted to stick with it because my husband is a veteran and it's run by veterans. It's a well put-together company and I'd definitely tell anybody considering getting something like this to go with BlueStar.

No response received

My mama uses BlueStar and carries it all day. We had an emergency once but nobody answered so we had to call 911. I'm lucky I see my mama in the afternoon and I saw her on the floor. So, then I went and picked her up myself. But I was busy with my mom in the hospital to let BlueStar know about the medical device not working. I understand things can happen. Maybe the battery’s not good or my mama pushed it wrong.

I had another medical alert system before but I never had to use it, and I didn’t like it so I sent it back. Now, I have a BlueStar Veterans and it's fine. I haven't had to use it yet but I'm sure it will function well. If anybody needs a medical alert, BlueStar is a good one.

I trust BlueStar HonorCare, they were the first ones that called me and I said, “Okay, well, why not?” When I accidentally pushed the button, they were prompt and responsive.

I was looking for a medical alert device and I got BlueStar's ad through the mail. I called them and the guy I talked to during the program set up helped me a lot and explained things to me. There's this time when I was looking for a service but I didn't find one. But if I did, I didn't know I found one. Also, my grandchildren take the device off the charger quite a bit. The only thing I have trouble with is I can't get my lockbox opened so I could put the key in it. I use the passwords that I set for it, but it's not working. But other than that, I am very satisfied with it and I would recommend them.

I like my BlueStar. But they sent me a new alert device because the other one didn't wanna work. I put it on the charger for two days, but it didn't charge at all. Then I plugged it in through the emergency one into the wall and it didn't work either. So when they called me to find out what was wrong, I told them what was going on. I never bothered them because I like it and I don't wanna lose it so I need it to work. Then the new one they sent, if the blue and green light is blinking and I put it on the charger, it turns red. And I can't get the SOS through it. Nobody calls me back. I did everything the paper told me to do, but it doesn't wanna work. But I haven't called BlueStar yet because I have given the device a chance to see what's wrong with it. And I put it in my purse so I could take it with me every day.

BlueStar was quick to respond in the past. I've accidentally hit the button before, and it came on and said, “What is your emergency?” I said that I must have hit it on my sleep 'cause I have it around my neck. They called me at 6:00 in the morning and said that that was good had I really had an emergency. However, the one time that I needed them, I wasn't really happy. I fell and pushed the button but it was about 10 minutes before anybody came on the intercom. I called my son, who lives on the same street with his girlfriend, and he got down here and was here when BlueStar answered me.

That worries me because I just found out I have three leaky valves in my heart. I've had two heart attacks last March and had angioplasty for some blockage. Exactly a week later, I had another heart attack with 100% blockage. I found out I have another valve at 40% blockage and they found a mass in my abdomen which I'm going to get an MRI of. I know I need to get some exercise but I'm so tired and I'm trying to move back to Charleston. I have to do it by myself but I can't lift anything because I had surgeries on both shoulders and on my left wrist. I broke bones in it and then they did surgery and put plate and screws in my arm. I was in a cast for two weeks. I was also in the splint for almost two months and have just gotten out of them.

BlueStar's probably doing more than it should. But I need to talk to somebody there on how I'd know when the device is charged because I don't understand the website and the blue button on the charger. I would like to receive something in the mail or something telling me the instructions on how to work it because I don't know what my son did to the box.

I had fallen a few times so I looked into getting a medical alert device. I chose the Ranger model from BlueStar because it reacted wherever I was, even out of town. I've had accidental things where I had pushed the button somehow and it wasn't too long that BlueStar called or reacted to it. They've been wonderful. Also, once when I was in Florida, they got a hold of me because of the activation thing. They were absolutely courteous and friendly when they called. It gives me peace of mind and I'm pleased with it.

My kids decided I needed a medical device and BlueStar seemed to really fit what I wanted to do. I have the little BlueStar pendant and when I pushed the button they responded right away. And I said "Oh, that's what it's supposed to be." It was comforting to know that in case of emergency, they'd be right there.

My experience with BlueStar has been very good. I feel safer in the house knowing that I have the help button. I have it around my neck and it's comfortable. I'd recommend BlueStar to a friend.

My experience with BlueStar HonorCare has been okay and it made me feel safer. Their response was very quick. It scared me the first time I hit it accidentally. I was leaning over and getting my dish detergent from under my sink, and it hit the door. All of a sudden it's talking to me, “What is your emergency?” and I jumped because there was nobody here but me. The young man started laughing and said, “I'm sorry. Is there an emergency?” I said, “No. I bumped it accidentally.” I was really amazed because I know and it let me know that, if something happens, BlueStar’s on it. I've told several people in the apartment complex that I live in about it, and that I was very pleased with it.

BlueStar HonorCare had called me out of blue and I said I would try this. For the first month, it was registered under another person's name and who stayed in Washington so it was a mess. I had done a test and they say I needed to call the office. I called the office and it still wasn’t registered under my name. All of a sudden, my unit quit working so I called BlueStar and they’re sending me out another unit.

Their system is great but when I wear the unit into one state and it’s registered clear across the United States, they’re sending ambulances to another state. That’s the only thing that I was dissatisfied with. And doing this about five times? It shouldn’t be that way. So I’m waiting to see how this unit is and then if it doesn’t work and it’s registered to somebody I'm cancelling.

I'm a veteran. I've got 23 stents in my heart and I'm also a diabetic with my sugar going up and down. So, I've been looking into one of those gadgets and I saw BlueStar HonorCare on the internet. When I called they said they give veterans a discount and they're a veteran owned company. They sent me two devices and neither one would work where I live. So they had to send me a third one and they always send them out real quick. But, the clip that goes on the device, so you could clip it on your label or your pocket, was broken. I called and told them but they never got back with me on it. So, I just wear it around my neck. I did a test on it and they picked it up real fast.

All the other companies' devices can be hooked up to my phone line and if I'm outside, it doesn’t pick up the signal. But with BlueStar, I could be out with my walker and if I fall, I could press it and the ambulance would know where to come to get me. Several times, the button has been hit when I was wearing it. I had the dog jump on my lap and he pressed the button. Then it made a noise and the rep got on. Then I was called a while back because they wanted to make sure that the button was working by asking me to press the button and then they’d talk to me. Then I’d say it’s working fine. It's a very good device and I like it.

I got a Sentry medical alert device and though I haven't had the time to hook it up yet, I would recommend BlueStar HonorCare.

BlueStar HonorCare (formerly Blue Star Veterans Network) Company Profile