Call toll free
3.22/5

LegalShield

formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Life is unpredictable. LegalShield gives you the confidence of knowing whatever comes your way, someone is looking out for you. Whether it's with affordable, prepaid legal service that puts a dedicated law firm on your side or identity theft protection with IDShield that's best in class. IDShield is the only identity theft protection company armed with a team of licensed private investigators on call to restore your identity With LegalShield and IDShield, you're always covered.

LegalShield's 650 employees are dedicated to serving our more than 4 million users in the United States and Canada. Protect yourself and your family today.

LegalShield Video
LegalShield Gallery (3)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

LegalShield Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Aug. 4, 2019

I recently had to use my membership to utilize the tax audit services. As part of our membership, we get 50 hours of a tax attorney's time. I recently got a letter from the IRS that I had apparently made a mistake on my taxes. I don't know if anyone else uses TurboTax, but I never thought that they would allow me to make a mistake. But apparently it is possible, especially when you're dealing with 50/50 custody stuff. I called my Law Firm who referred me to a tax attorney who had me turn in the letter from the IRS as well as my return for the year. I did make the mistake, however, the attorney was able to communicate with the IRS. Through that communication, I didn't have any penalties. I did have to pay back the extra I had received in my refund, but thankfully since I had already spent my refund, they are deferring that until my refund next year.

This service with an attorney I had found for myself would have cost me probably at least a couple thousand dollars, maybe several thousand dollars. As it was it didn't cost me anything beyond my normal monthly membership fee. My membership saved me so much money in this instance as well as gave me the Peace of Mind. I don't know if I could have negotiated the same result on my own.

Get expert buying tips about Legal Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2019

My wife and I became members of LegalShield in 2009. We had invested in the home next door in 2008 and added on a 1200 square foot edition just before the market crash. Needless to say, we became landlords by default. The tenants upon move out had damaged the wood floors to the degree that we needed to replace a 300 square foot area in the new addition. We were out of money and the tenant's dad was a big lawyer in Houston and wrote us a letter threatening a lawsuit. We were out of money and didn't know where to turn. A customer of mine had mentioned LegalShield to me sometime before. My wife upon receiving the threatening letter asked me who that legal guy was. We bought the service and thought, what do we have to lose. We liked that we weren't bound by a contract and could cancel at any time.

We called the Law Firm of Ross and Matthews our law firm here in Texas, they told us to upload a copy of the letter to their website. They then fired off a response letter on our behalf and the floor cost of $3200 was paid for by the tenant, all it cost us was our $17 monthly membership, this one letter has paid for our membership cost to this date. Fast forward to now and we have had the attorneys there at Ross and Matthews help us navigate through countless legal issues and help us understand our options. They have helped us with big things all the way down to a $30 overcharge. In our 10 years as members, they have helped us get back in excess of $40,000 that didn't cost us anymore than our monthly membership. We will never be without the service.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

I have been a member of LegalShield for 18 years. Prior to that, I was used to dealing with attorneys on a "911" basis. In other words I would put off using an attorney because of cost until the very last minute. With LegalShield I have been able to spoil myself because I don't have to think about cost, I just get my questions and issues handled. My provider law firm has provided these services for over 30 years and they have perfected having a great "bedside manner" and truly helping people like me and thousands more from answering questions to fighting for mine and others rights!!!

My favorite memory, so far, is not long after I became a member I had to get an attorney to represent me in getting custody of my 16 year old daughter. I was referred to a very competent family law attorney while my ex used an attorney from her church who was not skilled in that area. Long story short, I got custody of my daughter, neither of us - especially my daughter - never had to appear in a courtroom and I got total custody and child support. I believe had I tried to find an attorney on my own, I would not have had the same results. This service can keep a legal question from becoming a legal problem! I recommend them daily!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

I have been a member of LegalShield for 23 years and just love, love, love this service! I recently was on the way to a football game and had to drive from Nashville, TN to Starkville MS. Well...that puts you going through Alabama with a TN tag..no love lost. I was pulled over and ticketed for doing 74 mph in a 55 mph zone. I am an excellent driver, just like to arrive early. I was able through the new app to scan my ticket on the side of the road and send directly to my TN provider firm, who called me the following Monday.

Within 48 hrs, I had connected with my Alabama lawyer in Russellville, AL who related to me that he knew the judge, she was fair and he could probably negotiate this to be dismissed and taken off my record, which he then did, and all I had to do was pay court cost. This is simple... Without LegalShield, I would have just paid the fine, which would make that the third ticket on my record (previous two were also dismissed) and about $3000 in additional premiums to my auto insurer over the course of the next three years. With LegalShield, no previous tickets the judge saw, and still no tickets on my record, and a "preferred driver" rate from my insurer.... This is a no brainer!

Original review: April 18, 2019

I have been a LegalShield member for almost 5 years and I have used the membership many times. I called about two matters last month and the response time has gotten even better. Two different attorneys on two different matters called me back within an hour of when I made my call. In both matters they were able to help me understand the laws and resolve my situations. My wife and I have both gotten our wills made, taken care of speeding tickets and had documents reviewed.

My favorite and first encounter with using the LegalShield attorneys was after my teenage daughter was in a car accident. The driver that rear ended my daughter had the same insurance company as ours and they offered almost $1000 less than what our medical expenses were. I called the insurance company and was not getting anywhere, so I call the LegalShield attorneys. The attorney called me back before the end of business that day and she said she thought we could resolve this with a substantial increase with just the consultation. I agreed and she talked me through the process. I then called the insurance company back and eventually with another consultation with the attorney, increased the settlement by $5000. In essence, that paid for our membership for the next 16 years.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LegalShield?

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

Grateful the Provider Law Firm in our State that reviewed contract which saved me money from losing valuable resources. Thanks for the Attorney Advice and Consultation portion of the Benefits. Great outcome!

LegalShield response

We are so pleased to hear of your positive experience! Thank you so much for sharing this message and for being a valued member of LegalShield!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2019

From my experience, Deming, Parker, etc.... is a law firm full of "lawyers" who do not show concern regarding the client’s issue. My first issue was regarding a debt collection that was not mine and the debt collecting company was suing me. Mr. ** contacted the plaintiff's lawyer (because I asked him to), to ask for some information and proof regarding the lawsuit (which I told him to ask for), but soon after that he told me to settle. He did not look into any laws for me, he put no effort in my case at all. Only because of MY legal work was I able to beat the case and have the lawsuit dismissed.

While Mr. ** was telling me to settle, I was diligently researching Georgia Debt Collection laws, and found a loophole that would get my case dismissed. I emailed this law to Mr. **, he emailed it to the other attorney, and the next thing I know I received a letter saying the case was dismissed. The only purpose Mr. ** served was to act as a liaison and communicate with the other attorney because I did not want to communicate with her. I had to ask him to do that too; he did not offer.

My next case was regarding a dependent of mine and I had an "attorney" named Kylie (not sure of the spelling). From the moment she called me about this case, she had an attitude and unconcern oozed from her tone of voice. She talked to me like I was stupid. I feel she would have acted like a jerk no matter what my issue was, but I feel she was even more rude to me because my dependent is incarcerated. She had an air of arrogance to her. At least Mr. ** was nice.

Kylie is rude and seemed to have no more knowledge regarding prisoner advocacy laws than a law student or a Google Scholar who graduated from the university of Looking Everything Up On Google (which actually helped me more than this law firm, so yay Google). She never offered to refer me to a lawyer who had knowledge of prisoner advocacy laws. I would ask her a question and she would say "well I'm not sure, I don't think you can do this", and then just sit in silence on the phone. That's after condescendingly asking me if I had already contacted the Ombudsman Office, which I did of course. Information about the Ombudsman Unit was the only slightly helpful information she provided in the useless email she sent me.

While my entire experience at Deming, Parker, and Whatever was EXTREMELY poor, Kylie is the reason why I am cancelling my Legal Shield membership and will be hiring a normal attorney who actually has education on Georgia laws. Legal Shield, I do not know what you pay this law firm in order to be a part of your network, but it is CLEARLY not enough to make them care about their clients, or at least pretend to care. Give Kylie some customer service training. Also, upon being assigned to this law firm you should let new Legal Shield clients know that this law firm can only help with the most basic of issues, like getting a Will, or receiving assistance with a mortgage contract or some other contract. Much of anything else is greatly outside the scope of what this firm is capable of.

No need to send me an email stating your website notifies clients that if they need more assistance they would have to pay regular attorney fees with a 25% discount. This law firm should still be able to answer basic questions within our normal Legal Shield plan. I did not even ask Kylie to look into anything for me, because I knew she wouldn't. I merely asked her to guide me to the right people or organization that had knowledge of prisoner advocacy laws, and she still refused to do that unless I paid for an attorney.

LegalShield response

Thank you for providing us with feedback. We appreciate hearing from our members, though we’re sorry that your experience appears to have been so unsatisfactory. LegalShield aims to provide the best customer service possible, and for our attorneys to provide members with the most successful outcome for their legal matters while adhering to the benefits provided with the membership. We hope you will take just a moment to submit your feedback to LegalShield Customer Care by submitting a service concern form at https://legalshield.typeform.com/to/pSnMnF. Thank you again for bringing your concerns to our attention.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

I am a member of this legal firm for just about two years and I will say I regret being a member or ever having to pay for membership here. To my understanding as a member you get a legal consultation, a letter if needed for your legal issues, a review of document up to 15 pages, and a 25% discount off attorney referred. I did not get any legal advice over my issues instead the first thing I was told to do was to pay the 25% discounted rate before my case can be reviewed.

My case was with a school called Ivy Tech. I went in to apply for a grant called NEXT-LEVEL grants which had a process of applying for Financial aid first and then you get to qualify for the grant without a degree. Which was my case as I was trying to go in for my first degree. The verification process was prolonged and denied and I was charged for a course I was taking which was not completed over $2000 by withholding my State taxes. I have gone through all process and needed a lawyer to at-least view my doc. to see that all my papers were complete, but I never got any help form this organization. I was instead told by the lawyer to order tax document and take it to the school myself.

I called the office to complain about not even having the lawyers viewing my doc. Why am I now having to pay first before the lawyers can see my doc. It's a shame that I have paid money for two years and still cannot get any assistance before paying more. Never will I recommend this company to my worst enemy. STAY AWAY THEY ARE SCAMMERS!!!!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

My wife worked for a company that required her to have a cell phone for the job. They agreed to reimburse her $50/month for using her phone with the requirement that she submit her bill from the carrier every month which we did. She worked there for 3+ years. Toward the end of year 2 the company announced they were being acquired by another much larger company. The transition happened in January, and they continued the requirement for cell phones, and she continued to submit her bill every month. The reimbursements stopped coming in March.

In October my wife gave noticed she was retiring and reminded her superiors again; she has not received her cell phone reimbursements since March. She was told again that it would be taken care of. This conversation about the outstanding payments happened 2 more times before she finally retired and twice more after she was gone, with the same inaction on their part. Then we called LegalShield. They wrote a letter on her behalf which resulted in a check to my wife for $350. This was the result of one phone to our law firm, and they did not charge for or take anything from the recovery. This recovery paid for almost 2 years of our service.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

I have been with LS since the first of the year. I have needed their service and every time I have attempted to use it, I have had nothing but problems with who they referred me to, Ross & Matthews in TX. R&M is just as bad and they rush you off the phone and DO NOT give accurate counsel, yet when I called LegalShield they just keep giving me the runaround. I have requested a full refund and was told that because I took "counsel" I was not owed a refund, yet the alleged "counsel" is NOT legal guidance and I have on record that every time I requested said counsel I would not get a call from R&M until I finally complained enough. This service is NOT worth a dime a month. STAY AWAY.

LegalShield expert review by Michael Nranian

LegalShield provides legal services to subscribers. The company operates similar to an insurance company; members pay a monthly fee and then have access to legal services from a select group of providers. The company was founded in 1972 and is headquartered in Ada, Okla.

• Plan options: LegalShield has memberships for both individuals and families as well as businesses of various sizes. Consumers can choose the plan that bests fits their needs.

• Consumer education: The company’s blog publishes useful articles for all consumers. Topics include legal tips for pet owners, advice for disputing a bill, parental liability and more.

• Discounted rates: If LegalShield members need legal services not covered by their plan, they can use the company’s providers for rates that are at least 25 percent less than the attorney’s standard hourly rates.

• 24-hour assistance: Members can call for legal advice 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year, so they can get receive advice whenever they need it. They also have an app for both Android and Apple devices to make it easy for members to contact a provider.

• Clear coverage: Interested consumers can clearly see what services LegalShield plans do and do not cover by visiting the company’s website.

• Best for: LegalShield caters to those who want to know they have legal protection and access to an attorney whenever they need it.

Profile picture of Michael Nranian
Michael Nranian Invention and Patent Services Expert

Michael Nranian, a licensed patent attorney, has over 30 years of experience in product development, intellectual property, patent litigation, legal and technical compliance, and product liability litigation.

LegalShield Company Information

1972
Formerly Named:
Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.
1 Prepaid Way