toll free
Call now for more information

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I was billed $21.57 by my website hosting company for php 5.5 support. This "support" was never asked for or ordered but they still billed me. After getting this bill twice and dealing with "customer care" for over an hour I called my law firm and had a letter written on my behalf. The result was a refund of my $21.57 and an email and call from the VP of customer relations insuring I will never be billed for this support again. I feel powerful with my LegalShield membership and will never be without it.

Friday, March 24, 2017, at 3:30pm I called the AZ law firm on a personal legal question, nothing urgent, and did not expect a response until Monday. At 1200 noon, Saturday March 25, an attorney called! The attorney said she wanted to not have any calls from Friday waiting for Monday. I was very happy she did. Where else can you get an attorney to call you from their office on a beautiful Arizona Saturday? Attorneys get a bad rap most of the time so here is one that wanted to take the one step beyond the requirement. LegalShield rocks!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I was almost arrested for "stealing" some broken pieces of wood next to the road which had a free sign sitting in front of them. My brother was with me and was getting arrested as well. I told the officer I would like to call my attorney immediately and he just looked at me and sort of ignored me then continued to arrest my brother. At that time I had my phone already in hand and I dialed the emergency number. A lady answered and I gave her my member number and an attorney was on the phone in about 20 seconds.

When the officer turned to handcuff me I tried to hand him my phone and said, "My attorney would like to speak with you". He took a step back and told me he wouldn't take the phone. After that the attorney began to ask a series of questions through me to the officer and by the end of a 2-3 minute conversation between the three of us, the officer got back into his car and sped off. My brother and I both went home that night with no charges!!! I would absolutely recommend this to anyone and everyone. Great service.

Resolution response: Aug. 28, 2017

My money was refunded or I was not charged, but the FTC has been notified. I will help them with whatever they need.

Dustin,

With the Legal Membership you have, the document review benefit is limited to 15 pages per document. Any more than 15 pages and it's covered with the 25 percent discount off the attorney's standard hourly rate. Also when filing a lawsuit against someone else, that too is covered under the 25 percent discount and is typically referred out to an attorney that either specializes in that area of law or has more experience to ensure you're getting the best attorney for your specific case.

All of this is listed in the contract that was sent out to you on 08/16/17.

LegalShield

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I literally knew my rights and the law better than Legal Shield. I felt pressured into signing up, but I figured they were hungry and this would help get my issues resolved. I paid the $29.99 fee and scanned all my documents. The woman on the phone (Trina?) told me a few days later that she had only reviewed 15 and that's all she's obligated to review. Then after trying to talk me out of suing for clear documented violations of my civil rights she referred me to a lawyer who will charge me thousands but I get a sweet Legal Shield 25% discount.

I'm paying them for nothing. They were supposed to provide a lawyer. I was expecting a few referrals, because my case is complicated, but has clear evidence of numerous violations against hospitals and government agencies. They don't do class action, and I'm trying hard to find anything I did get from them. My life is ruined and these parasites come at me for money I don't have, then they badger you into signing up, and get snotty on the phone (Janet? Washington DC Office) then they do what I could have done on my own which is call attorneys from the Yellow Pages. Don't waste your time. This could be a great service, if done properly, but it's a scam.

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.)

Thank you, Michelle! We're so glad to hear these great stories!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

I have had LegalShield for almost 6 years. I had ran a stop sign. I send over my ticket to my law firm. The attorney called me back in less than an hour. He told me to send him a money order for ticket and he would go to court for me. I watch 3 grandkids and can't go to court. My attorney went and my ticket got reduced to a parking ticket. No commute, no hassle, no points insurance rates low for 3 more years. Thank you LegalShield!

Mr Diaz,

After looking into the situation, it was explained due to your wife having a membership with an amendment stating she could not use LegalShield against her employer in any way. This still applies if she gets a different membership, is listed as a spouse or listed as a dependent. If allowed this and assisted a member listed as a spouse on a different membership we would be circumventing the amendment. The amendment is listed in the paper contract LegalShield sends out to group members. If there is any amendment or exclusion it is provided.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

I have been a LegalShield member for over 10 years and my wife an associate for nearly as long. I acquired my membership through a friend who was an associate and sold me the product. My wife was notified that she was being laid off from her job on Thur 27 Jul with an effective date of 31 Jul 2017. Her employer offered the LegalShield services and she acquired "her" membership through them (invalidated effective 31 Jul 2017). Due to the complexity of the given "Separation Agreement and General Release of Claims" provided by her previous employer, we decided to request legal counsel to have it reviewed by the "only one firm" that we can go to as assigned by LegalShield in our area, but we did so using my account (she is added, as my spouse) which is not affiliated to her previous employer or to any other organization at all (I did not establish it through my employer either).

We called the legal firm on Fri 28 Jul and received a call back from the lawyer until Monday 31 Jul. The lawyer was quite impolite and unable to listen, but his bottom line was that they could not provide services due to "conflict of interests" the firm had because my wife worked for one of their clients; as the guy was unable to listen so that we could get a deeper explanation, we requested to talk to a supervisor. We then got a call back from the supervisor on 2 Aug and he explained that the law firm does have a "conflict of interest" but that also since my wife acquired her plan through the employer, they could not review the documents and/or transfer the case to a different firm all while using the LegalShield services because of it.

Now take into account that the case and request to review the documents had all been done through my LegalShield account, where my wife is added and which has no affiliation to my wife's employer whatsoever; we also are not considering legal action on her employer but simply have the release reviewed and legal counsel be provided as it looked quite restrictive when it comes to her job opportunities in the future, we wanted some of the language rescinded or at the very least modified so that she has the freedom to be fully employed again without any worries of legal action. As the law firm explained to us why they were restricted we then proceeded to call LegalShield on 2 Aug (my birthday) and talked to a rep from member services, who was unable to fully explain the reason for denial of services, we later spoke to her supervisor who reaffirmed that we could not use their services.

Now, why would anyone buy a plan for which you pay month to month to have at least some good legal advice if in the end you can't have it because they have "preferential treatment" to employer or clients with group memberships? Also, why can't the legal representation/counsel be transferred to a different firm and why do they restrict the customers so much to ONLY ONE legal firm? We understand if a law firm has a "conflict of interest", but I don't remember signing any papers where we are unable (as a couple) to have documents reviewed if the "one" firm we are assigned to by them has such conflict of interests. It does seem that LegalShield has preference over businesses with which they have established a group account.

Legalshield claims on their page: "Worry less. Live more" (that's part of their motto I believe). They also state: "LEGAL PROTECTION WHEN YOU NEED IT. Life is unpredictable. You never know what's around the corner. LegalShield gives you the confidence of knowing whatever comes your way, your provider law firm is there when you need it." Such statement, based on our case is completely untrue, they left us hanging dry. This all happen during my birthday and on a day while we were also trying to enjoy our anniversary trip which had been planned for a very long time, the notice of layoff was given to my wife the day before we started our vacation. We had to then deal with two headaches, a lay off and also maneuvering and evasion from LegalShield and what feels as false advertisement. As a paying member of a service all I want from it, as a minimum, is to have that service deliver!

LegalShield has less than delivered on that objective of theirs! I have also followed-up with a BBB complaint regarding the advertisement LegalShield has given and the distorted way in which they completely left us hanging in this case. The reasons provided by their representatives are one that are not explained through any of their associates and also not provided during courses they offer, to which I have assisted a couple of times. This gives good reasons even for a potential "associate" (as it was the case with me) to have deep disbelief on their offered services and the claims they make to have customers fairly helped and represented. How can one, as a customer who is left in the sidelines, become a representative and later try to sell a product that you know is deeply flawed and filled with "unadvertised" gaps?

Suzie,

The reason the provider firm advised they could refer to you an attorney for reduced fee is due to the attorney of record. If an attorney were to give advice or assist with a case that goes to court, they become the attorney of record for the client. What the law firm was attempting to do was put you in touch with someone in your area that specializes in that area of law. The attorney of record must be formally fired by the client prior to another attorney taking the case. If this situation were to end up in front of a judge, the process to get the correct attorney for the applicable area of law becomes more complicated and more hassle for the member.

I hope this helps clear up why the law firm was trying to refer you to the correct attorney.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

I admit this is my own fault, I didn't look into what I was buying. I went on what I THOUGHT I knew, what it sounded like it was from the way it was explained to me. I THOUGHT I was paying a monthly fee for having a lawyer or a lawyer's advice available, seemed like a deal, right?! I called 3 times in 3 years but, the LAST (third) time I called, I realized I'd been foolish! My husband and I want temporary custody, uncontested, of our grandson. I called and they emailed me the paperwork we need to fill out. While I was completing the paperwork, and I want to be SURE it is correct. I called to confirm who is the "Respondent" and who is the "Petitioner." Their answer, for a reduced fee they could put me in touch with an attorney who could answer that question?!?! Seriously?!?! The reason they can't help is that if they gave me advice that affected my case, it could come back on them... SERIOUSLY?!?!

So, I say, if you give me the definition, or, god forbid, actually tell me if I am the Petitioner or the Respondent, that could screw the case up?! Anyway, what I got from them I could've EASILY gotten from the internet. I thought the benefit was they would go through the document step by step and help me fill it out, that is definitely NOT the case! If I can save even ONE person from signing up, this would be worth it. (PS I almost never write reviews so know, that when I do, I'm seriously irritated!)

Hello Johanna,

I'm showing we working your refund on 08/02 when it was requested. As far as requiring written request, we understand it requires a little more effort on the member's side, however we do that so we have proof of a cancel/refund request on file. It's to ensure the security of the member. We wouldn't want a membership to be cancelled over the phone if someone were to have some of the members vital information.

David

LegalShield

Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

I just signed up and changed my mind not even 15 minutes after paying to join the membership. Customer service was horrible. They advise you that you have to provide a written statement canceling services in order to be refunded. This is just another way to not give people their money back right away or discourage people from requesting a refund. Just giving people a hard time. They can charge your card right away but if you want a refund you got to submit an email or fax requesting cancellation and then wait 15 days to be refunded. Bad business. I don't recommend this. If you are receiving this type of service there is no telling how much more money you will lose behind their scams. Do your research. Every dollar counts. Dave Save yourself the headache.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LegalShield?

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.)

Randall, we would be happy to look into this situation for you. We will reach out to you using the contact information provided here to further assist you.

Original review: July 29, 2017

I have been a member of the Prepaid Legal Service for a very long time. Recently, I contacted Prepaid Legal (now LegalShield) with an issue I have with the San Angelo ISD. I was told that my representative was Ross and Matthews and that their representative in San Angelo was Griffin **. When I contacted him, he told me that he could give me advice, and he has reviewed some documents for me, but because his firm represented the San Angelo ISD, he could not represent me at hearings. I can understand his situation, but the fact is that I HAVE PAID FOR THIS SERVICE! Why am I now left in the cold? I have a contract with Prepaid Legal (LegalShield) and they should be FORCED to honor it EVEN IF they have to pay someone outside of their firm to do it!

Factual basis uncertain

I need an attorney to get my money back from LegalShield. I left the USA last fall, and was told my membership would be put on hold for 3 months. LegalShield kept billing me. When I found out 3 months later that I was being billed, they promised to refund my 3 months, and put it on hold. 3 more months go by, and

not only did I not get refunded, I was billed for 3 more months. I canceled my membership, but not before they billed me for 3 more months. Waste of money this company. Do yourself a favor and find a good local attorney you can turn to.

Phil,

Thank you for taking the time to speak with us today and allowing us to resolve your issue. If there is anything else we can do to assist you, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best,

Jarrod Legg
Member Services Supervisor

LegalShield

Original review: July 11, 2017

I received the contract in the mail for LegalShield but I never signed up for it - and a charge appeared on my credit card. I immediately contacted the CC company to notify them of the unauthorized charge and contacted LegalShield to inquire as to how I got these and to cancel. They contend I went to their web-site and signed up. No, I did not. I don't need the representation. I have been watching all my CC accounts for more ID theft type of charges and nothing shows up. I can't get them to refund the charge although they acknowledge they will cancel the account. This smells like a scam. Be careful.

The attorneys have always been very friendly and helpful. They call back in a timely manner, even after hours, to make sure we are taken care of. We have had the service for 32 years and it has saved us a lot of money and given us peace of mind. I wouldn't be without it.

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.)

Matt, yearly revisions to your Will are covered under the benefits of your membership. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the confusion. Additionally, you can use the LegalShield Mobile App to complete the questionnaire and submit directly to your Provider Firm for revision. If you have any questions, or if we can be of any further assistance, please contact LegalShield Member Services at 800-654-7757 (7-7 CST, M-F).

Original review: June 29, 2017

I emailed member services to ask the simple question, “If I need to make minor changes to my will, created by LegalShield, is there a charge, or is that included in my membership?" Member services could not answer this simple question! They advised me to contact my provider attorney firm. I didn't want to spend an hour getting a reply to the voice mail I would have had to leave, I just wanted a simple question answered. The time that I have used my provider attorney, or visited their office, they were unfriendly and condescending. Who wants to put up with that!

Insufficient response received

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.)

Pete, the process for preparing your Will, including revisions, is to complete a will questionnaire and submit it to the Provider Firm, who will then prepare your Will for you. There is no need for a referral in this process. It seems you have a misunderstanding of the benefits of your membership.

Original review: June 27, 2017

Dempsey, Roberts & Smith, Ltd. are the problem. Dempsey, Roberts & Smith, Ltd. SUCK! This is my second attempt to use this law first and my impression is that they do their very best to avoid helping clients. I called and spoke to what I suspected was a Legal Assistant who would not pass me on to an attorney until I explained the nature of my requirement. I wanted to have my Family Trust and Will amended, but they insisted that I first start by completing a new will form, submit it to them, and then they would consider the Trust amendments. I asked to be referred to a local attorney, and they would not do this without everything going through them first - i.e. they were demanding that I start the process from scratch. Where is LegalShield when we need you? What is the point of having a law firm 1,000 miles away in Henderson, NV? I have signed up with ARAG - much better options, and they have LOCAL attorneys that I can go and visit.

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.)

Gordon, in short, our cancellation policy is this: you may cancel your membership at any time, by providing us a written request to cancel your membership. First, it is a legal and regulatory requirement that we validate the identity of the person wanting to request cancellation. Second, because the service involves legal issues, a signed cancellation is a definitive document versus a phone call or email. It is inappropriate but natural to think "they won't let me cancel because they are bad people running a scam." But that is untrue. We have a clear cancellation and refund policy, plainly presented in all our materials, and it is intended to protect the legal rights of our members, and the integrity of our business. If we can be of any further assistance, please contact LegalShield Member Services at 800-654-7757, from 7-7 CST, Monday – Friday.

Original review: June 22, 2017

This is a disgraceful company to do business with. Shameful and Disgraceful. In March of 2017 I called and cancelled my two accounts and was given to understand that such cancellation had been completed with immediate effect. At that time I was given no instructions on any requirement to write to confirm the said cancellation and therefore relied on the honesty and integrity of the LegalShield organization to carry out the cancellation as agreed with your telephone based employee. BIG mistake!

On a recent audit of my bank accounts, I discovered that LegalShield had violated the trust I had placed in it during the above mentioned transaction and that the company had continued to help itself to my money as detailed: April 21, 2017 $9.95, April 21, 2017 $15.95, May 19, 2017 $9.95, May 19, 2017 $15.95, June 19, 2017 $9.95, June 19, 2017 $15.95. Total $77.70. Given that they were not legally entitled to my funds without my permission and that, in all good faith, I had cancelled my membership, these funds are now viewed as misappropriated by LegalShield and I have requesting that said funds should be immediately returned to me, forthwith.

This action may have been an oversight or it may have been simply dishonest, but either way this disgraceful organization further besmirched its name by the manner in which it dealt with this matter when I was informed that the loss of these funds was simply my own fault! Disgraceful! My advice to anyone considering doing business with LegalShield is DON'T. Try cancelling and see if their so called ethics are adhered to and see if they are honest enough to return overpaid monies to which they are not entitled.

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.)

Mr. Dowling, it is unfortunate that you were not satisfied with your membership that was discontinued in 2009. Our Provider Firms have an average of 22 years of experience and are held to the strictest standards. This ensures that our members have the very best assistance possible in each and every interaction.

Original review: May 30, 2017

I had PPL/LegalShield for several years prior. They started dictating letters to send on my own behalf, when I started getting frivolous lawsuits filed against me. I owned a company - Easy target. Right. I had a home mortgage with Litton Servicing LLC, collecting the payments. During my business shutdown, I got a couple payments behind. Litton said to hold my payments, they would "modify my mortgage."

A few months later, I received a foreclosure notice. I told Litton that I had the money, what would it cost to reinstate my loan. They would only give me a verbal number (illegal) and it was increased by thousands each day. With a foreclosure pending, PPL sent me a referral to a young, rude, hack of a lawyer, just out of college. I explained that time was of the essence. After 2 weeks, he had not even started... Told me to come pick up my check. I then had 3 days to move out of the home I had 10 years vested interest in (09/09) and it cost me $30k equity and my home. I became a "homeless veteran" for three years... Thanks for nothing, PPL... I WOULD CHANGE MY NAME, TOO, IF I HAD YOUR REP.

Factual basis uncertain

I worked with a Louis ** out of Cincinnati, Ohio after hearing good things about this company. He was unprofessional, and appeared to not be educated with this product. I was referred by friends and family, and still decided to move forth. Louis was unable to sell me on the product, or make me feel comfortable to buy, and when I expressed this with him, his mood changed. He became passive, aggressive, and raised his voice. I ended the phone call at this time. Do not buy LegalShield, and do NOT have Louis ** assist you! STAY AWAY!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I continue to have problems with LegalShield. I was referred to an attorney for an auto accident case only to learn that they are not required to offer any discounts on contingency agreements. I called their corporate office and was told that's just the way it is. Also they limit referrals to three attorneys so if you aren't happy with a firm's high rates they will cut you off and you will be on your own to find a firm to represent you.

Factual basis uncertain

There is absolutely NO WAY that all of these 5 star reviews are legit. LegalShield dumped the name Prepaid Legal because they had such a bad rep and it was totally unsalvageable. They treated me like utter garbage. Once I hit the 5 year membership (maximum benefits) mark, I got sued. Did they give me ANY representation? Of course not. This is the second time it has happened. I complained and they canceled my membership. UTTER BS. If you want to get screwed over and then not protected when in legal trouble, sign up and pay your dues regularly. When it comes time to use them, do NOT expect them to be there. I have a complaint against them pending with my state's Dept. of Insurance. I will NEVER sign up with them again.

Factual basis uncertain

After fleeing a terrible roommate situation found out I was being charged with petty theft. After many phone calls, where I repeatedly stated that I had a deadline I was repeatedly told "you only called a few days ago", Yes, but it took that long for your reps to get me the info to sign up. I was sent to the wrong department - again told the fault was mine for calling so late. The advice I was provided was basically, "Wow. this would be a tenant issue.". Yes, yes, it would be - didn't expect that piece of knowledge to take days to become clear. After advocating for something a little better, I was transferred to the right people, who then gave me the same advice as a friend gave me earlier in the month. The friend had quoted Judge Judy. After all this I missed my deadline, good thing I was able to extend that. What a waste of my time, energy and money.

Factual basis uncertain

Are all these good reviews on here written because they were paid to do so? I have gotten less than satisfactory service from LegalShield. Their website says they write letters on behalf of the client, but when I called the attorney for LS, they said they do not write letters. What am I missing? I am having issues with my township and LS defends the township more than me. They do not want to get involved in any of my issues.

Factual basis uncertain

An associate with LegalShield had signed up several people from my place of employment and town as new members; however, it was disappointing to learn that the law firm, Mattleman, Weinroth & Miller, P.C. that is assigned by LegalShield in the State of New Jersey, does not have Spanish speaking attorneys, nor do they accept interpreters to speak on behalf of LegalShield Spanish-speaking members.

When I called LegalShield's customer service, the female representative verified this fact, and told me that the State of New Jersey does not allow them to contract a bi-lingual law firm. When I questioned why LegalShield did not also contract with a law firm that has Spanish-speaking attorney(s) or interpreters. Her reply was very odd? I further asked who in the State does one need to contact to advocate for a change. She stated that their manual specifically states "do not contact the State"... just that every year they show someone at the State what they offer and that the State decides who they can contract with, and they are only permitted to contract with Mattleman, Weinroth & Miller, P.C. This response was even more bizarre!! Very unfortunate and disappointing.

I live in a town where 87% of the residents are Hispanics, mostly Spanish-speaking, that are interested and could benefit from the services. But with this unfortunate piece of information, the new members recently sold on the idea of legal access to LegalShield will have to cancel their membership for lack of services afforded Spanish-speaking members! :(

Factual basis uncertain

I have their service for 3 years and after my experience I could never recommend LegalShield and believe it has horrible customer service. Let me elaborate. Not one, not twice, but over three times when I ask for their help to write collections letters, they could not write a letter of any real value. For example I needed such as a Civil Theft collections and they could not even write not even the stern language of Notification for protection of Documents under penalty because they were not my lawyer. However, the claim they are there to provide legal help. Regardless, I offered the pay them extra. Heard no and no. I even went straight to the supervisors etc, but they all declined to take my money or write the collection letters I needed.

But even the letters they could write, I also could not for any amount of extra money allow any debtor of mine to call or email them to negotiate the terms of the any said collection letter. Again fully willing to pay extra but no dice with them. On top of that I sent them contracts to review and spent many days and weeks because of horrible phone tag, because there is no way to call someone back even if it was 10 seconds to get connected. Also you can't email direct any person. And to make matter worst again, after finally listening to the lawyer over his ideas, etc I then asked him to do the edits for again, extra money. Because I do not want to get something for nothing. Again refused. Declined. Cannot do such. In essence, their practice is when a person wants to have an attorney do any edits you have to get a referral and start the whole process all over again from scratch.

I never had such a hard time wanting to spend more money with a business than them. But despite those limitations I still continued to be a customer for legal protection in the event I got sued and throughout my membership time, I did go through all the proper channels and filled out every customer survey with no results other than phone calls. Then the straw that broke the camel's back occurred. That was when I reached out for a legal referral for a local attorney that could assist me with a Short Sale on a rental property I have had for 10 years as a rental. Again a referral only!!!

I was told they could not provide me a referral at all since the home was not in my business name but my name. My word nor even leases I had that I offered to send was good enough proof that this was a rental could be good enough because the deed was in my name. After filling another complaint I was finally told that the only way I could get a referral was to create a personal account in my name. However, I was also told during my back and forth with Customer service, told very conflicting information. Specifically, if I only had a personal account and needed help with a rental property, no matter whose name it was in, I would need to get a business account. However, since I had a business account but did not have a personal I would have to get a personal one.

I told them that is was the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard to treat your customers and I told them that the choice was up to them. Either provide me my referral using whatever exception they had to do to get me a freakin referral to a lawyer in LegalShield network that I needed some help on or I will cancel my account and post the narrative of my experiences on Web review websites. They chose to do nothing. So LegalShield is not worth it because a businessman cannot get the help he needs.

I used this service to file and conduct a lawsuit against a state under the ADA in federal court. The law firm talked with me for over a year via phone consultation and I never was billed. The attorney for the state offered to settle out of court and I accepted. I consider that a huge win for me and workers of America!

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

LegalShield associates and providers truly go the extra mile to help people. They care and listen and the customer service for members is exceptional. I've had the best experience with them and will lean on them for life.

Factual basis uncertain

I cancelled my membership in writing and LegalShield continued to debit my account for the monthly fee. I spoke to them several times and wrote them two other times. 30 days after speaking with them I wrote a demanding email and said I would file a complaint with the BBB if it wasn't resolved in a week. I received a response to please give them more time. So, I gave LegalShield 40 days to resolve the situation.

Now it's been several months and I heard anything. So, I have concluded that this is a scam and they do have care about the business reputation otherwise they would have resolved my situation within the 4 correspondences and several calls into them. All I got is that my refund is being reviewed. I now would all my money back now and not just my monthly charged after I cancelled! A bad experience travels 10 times further than doing the right thing. I will never recommend this company and now that I need the service I have gone elsewhere. I hope it was worth screwing over a consumer.

Factual basis uncertain

I've waited for a year to write this review hoping to give the company the opportunity to resolve the matter. Unfortunately as of this date there's been no satisfactory resolution. I was told by the provider firm to file for divorce in 2013. They referred me to a lawyer who took my retainer and yet refused to file. I requested another lawyer. The second lawyer took my money and refused to file. I went to the provider firm and requested they represent me in the divorce. They refused. I contacted the corporate office. The provider firm then assigned another attorney who was supposed to be an excellent attorney. He represented me for two months. He charged over $60,000.00. Yes you have it right. Over $60,000. Bullied and harassed me, didn't file for the divorce.

With the last monies I had I found a lawyer out of the Legalshield system who was able to get a partial resolution. Of course I didn't have the kind of money the "excellent" attorney charged. Did the lawyer provided incremental billing? No. He refused to represent me. Did not itemize his billing. He's on the ethics committee of the State so if I file a complaint I'm concerned it won't be fairly addressed. I'm at a loss of what to do. I've called the corporate office and they've said there is nothing they can do.

Yes LegalShield can be great for some people depending on the issue. I have no idea why in my case each Legalshield attorney the provider firm referred me to refused to move my case forward but yet took my money. I'm now out of money. The case is extremely complicated. The Legalshield concept is wonderful. But when you have a problem with a lawyer your issue can snowball and the organization doesn't have an effective way to protect its members from abusive or negligent lawyers.

Updated on 12/2/2016: I just called LegalShield about my experience and the fact that they disputed my claim on this site without contacting me. The representative was very kind, listened to my concerns and said she would elevate my concerns to upper management. She told me it was upper management that makes the determination as to what will appear on this site. As I shared with her it is important that people know what they are buying when they purchase a LegalShield membership.

I am still a member of LegalShield. I've been a member since 2011. The phone consultations have been helpful. The letters written on my behalf by the provider firm have been helpful. However when I've been are referred to another attorney outside of the provider firm the experience has evolved to a nightmare. Members need to know they are vulnerable. It doesn't appear that the organization can help members if an attorney they refer you to mistreats you. Now I am hopeful that this time LegalShield will listen to my concerns and will attempt to help me with the situation their referral attorneys have placed me.

Factual basis uncertain

I recently signed up for LegalShield through my employer and was promised legal advice/help in a timely manner. However, that was not to be the case. The first time I needed their advice in regards to DCF, they misinformed me and had it not been for another attorney I contacted (free consultation from the internet) things would have turned out very differently.

The 2nd time I needed them was an urgent affair yet they took over 6 hours to return my call. I called back within 10 seconds and was informed that even though I was within the "5 minute window" (no one had informed me of such a thing) to call back, the attorney was now busy and would return my call within 8 hours. I then called the emergency call center and was told that I was tying up the line... that there were people in jail and being arrested that were trying to call at that moment. They referred me back to the attorney and said I could not be assigned a different attorney. This service is a complete scam and I will be cancelling immediately.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Some weeks ago, my car was hit by other two cars. I called LegalShield and very fast I got in touch with a lawyer who answered all my questions and made herself available to help me in whatever I needed. It is really awesome and reassuring to know that I can count on excellent service of lawyers at any time. And more important with a team of very reliable professionals who work with love and qualified care.

I started out with a LegalShield small business membership and it has served me in so many ways: Getting out of an office lease I couldn't pay after having a serious accident with a head injury. Being overbilled for an ER visit (actually ended up with a refund from the hospital). Getting my will and trust done. Debt collection with my clients who wouldn't pay. Traffic court representation (getting my ticket reduced from 13 to 5 over) and not having to pay the attorney any extra fees for representing me. Incredible discounts on my cell phone, hotels and car rentals. I will never be without this invaluable service that has paid for itself over and over again.

Not too long ago I was served papers at my house stating that I owe $351 a month in child support. I thought it was funny because I am the custodial parent so I went down to the state with my son. They didn't seem to care. Went down the next day with his mother is still didn't seem to care. That's when I got LegalShield involved. After a handful of documents review and a few phone calls they were able to save my payments and see that I am the true custodial parent. I could only imagine if I didn't have LegalShield. At $351 a month over the course of many years they save me about $51,000. At $300 $400 an hour I could never afford a regular attorney. Thank you LegalShield.

I've had my membership with LegalShield (LS) for quite a few years now, but recently found a reason to take advantage of the outstanding service again! I was previously receiving an employee discount from my cell phone provider (the one whose main color is Yellow), and after doing an upgrade last year (2015) I was no longer receiving that discount (and I was never made aware). However, anytime I visited a store and had a transaction done, the printout always listed my discount as part of my bill itemization. Now like most people these days, I generally don't even look at my bill when it comes. I just pay it! After actually calling in one day to inquire about switching my employee discount, I was made aware that I in fact was not receiving any employee discount on my phone bill. I as a matter of fact had not been receiving that discount for an ENTIRE YEAR!

I made numerous calls to find out what could be done about that situation and how I would be reimbursed. Every call ended with "I'm sorry ma'am, there's nothing more we can do to help you. We apologize for the inconvenience." So, I decided to call my LS law firm! I explained the entire situation to the attorney and also sent them copies of my most recent bill, and the other documents showing that I was eligible for the discount. The attorney then wrote a letter to the cell phone provider on my behalf (at no extra charge!), and also mailed me a copy of the letter. Within a matter of days, the cell phone provider sent a letter back to the attorney stating that they could not discuss my acct info with them without my authorization, and attached a form for me to fill out to give them that permission.

My attorney contacted me and gave me the option to fill it out and send it back to them, or stay on the phone while they did a conference call with the cell phone provider (again at no extra charge). I opted for the latter option because it simply was easier and faster! Once the call was connected and the representative from the cell phone provider got on the line, the attorney introduced herself and announced that I was on the line. I was asked by the representative to verify my account with them, and I did so. From that point on the attorney spoke ENTIRELY on my behalf and I did not have to say another word! At the end of the call, the cell phone provider agreed to credit $457 back to my account to cover for the 1 yr that I did not receive my discount, AND 1 EXTRA YEAR IN ADVANCE!!! I was in total shock!!!

What shocked me more was when I hung up and actually got a series of text messages back to back stating that credits were being applied to my account! I couldn't believe it!! After I tried SO MANY times on my own to have the situation resolved by simply calling them on my own and pointing out the SAME thing that the attorney pointed out to them!!

After having my LS membership for all these years, I MUST say this is ONE situation where I can say that my belief in LS was truly solidified!! I don't know how anyone can live day to day without having this service! It's ONE IN A MILLION!! I never leave home without my LS card!! I also definitely don't see my future without LS in it!! With the amount of money that I was able to get credited back to my account, I would be able to pay for my LS membership for the next 2+ years!! That's DEFINITELY more than worth it!!! I HIGHLY recommend this service to everyone!! No one should ever have to live day by day depending on internet search engines to answer trivial and/or traumatic questions, when you can easily have access to an attorney as I did!!! Thank You LegalShield!!!

Carolyn,

We are sorry to hear about your experience. We would love the opportunity to look into this for you. May we reach out to you for some additional details?

Best,

LegalShield

Original review: Nov. 10, 2016

This is the second time I have trusted LegalSheild and they have let me down. Don't trust them with more than a parking ticket. Purchasing a condo in a tight real estate state like Hawaii is not easy. The attorney was polite and courteous did explain some of the challenges I was facing, as a new homeowner. I do not believe she was actually a real estate attorney or qualified to discuss my situation although she represented herself as such. Regarding the specific problem that needed to be addressed, the attorney asked me to supply some details so that she could write to the owner, which unfortunately was a conservatorship. I spent a considerable amount of time gathering the details she said she wanted.

The attorney then just dropped my case and decided not to contact a conservatorship for the problems I was experiencing. I believe it would've been beneficial if she had contacted the owners - the conservatorship - as it turned out they did not know about some of the problems we were experiencing with the realtor. Why she didn't write a letter as promised is beyond me! If your firm wanted extra charges she should've asked me, but dropping my case is not acceptable. I have serious doubts about LegalShield. This mistake or dropping off my case midstream cost me a considerable amount of money over $15,000.00 I would have and should have talked to a real Real Estate lawyer. LegalShield has done me a great disservice.

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.) Company Profile

1972
Formerly Named:
Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.
1 Prepaid Way