2. Legal Services
Accredited Partner

LegalShield

formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.09/5

Life is unpredictable. LegalShield gives you the confidence of knowing whatever comes your way, someone is looking out for you. Whether it's with affordable, prepaid legal service that puts a dedicated law firm on your side or identity theft protection with IDShield that's best in class. IDShield is the only identity theft protection company armed with a team of licensed private investigators on call to restore your identity With LegalShield and IDShield, you're always covered.

LegalShield's 650 employees are dedicated to serving our more than 4 million users in the United States and Canada. Protect yourself and your family today.

LegalShield Video
LegalShield Gallery (3)
View More View More

LegalShield Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: May 17, 2020

Two Powerful Attorney Letter Testimonies:

Attorney Letter #1 - On a trip back home from Las Vegas, Delta airlines damaged my wife’s luggage (numerous tears & and a missing wheel) and broke my wife’s blowdryer. When we spoke to Delta customer service, they said their policy is not to replace damaged baggage. We had our provider law firm draft an attorney letter and faxed it to Delta Airlines’ legal counsel. Within a week, we received two separate checks in the mail: one for $50 for my wife’s broken blowdryer and another for $75 to replace my wife’s damaged luggage.

Attorney Letter #2 - We bought a Magic Chef refrigerator for one of our rental properties that had a compressor that died 8 months after purchasing it from Home Depot. Home Depot & Magic Chef denied responsibility, stating we did not purchase their extended warranty. We contacted our provider law firm, who drafted and sent an attorney letter to both Magic Chef & Home Depot, requesting reimbursement for refrigerator and our tenant’s spoiled food as result of the faulty compressor. 6 weeks later, we received two checks in the mail: one for $308.12 to replace refrigerator and another check for $60 to reimburse our tenant for spoiled food.

It’s amazing how corporate policies become simple misunderstandings with reimbursement checks attached, simply by sending attorney letters, which didn’t cost us a penny more than our $24 monthly subscription! Thank you LegalShield!!

Get buying tips about Legal Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2019

I recently had to use my membership to utilize the tax audit services. As part of our membership, we get 50 hours of a tax attorney's time. I recently got a letter from the IRS that I had apparently made a mistake on my taxes. I don't know if anyone else uses TurboTax, but I never thought that they would allow me to make a mistake. But apparently it is possible, especially when you're dealing with 50/50 custody stuff. I called my Law Firm who referred me to a tax attorney who had me turn in the letter from the IRS as well as my return for the year. I did make the mistake, however, the attorney was able to communicate with the IRS. Through that communication, I didn't have any penalties. I did have to pay back the extra I had received in my refund, but thankfully since I had already spent my refund, they are deferring that until my refund next year.

This service with an attorney I had found for myself would have cost me probably at least a couple thousand dollars, maybe several thousand dollars. As it was it didn't cost me anything beyond my normal monthly membership fee. My membership saved me so much money in this instance as well as gave me the Peace of Mind. I don't know if I could have negotiated the same result on my own.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2019

My wife and I became members of LegalShield in 2009. We had invested in the home next door in 2008 and added on a 1200 square foot edition just before the market crash. Needless to say, we became landlords by default. The tenants upon move out had damaged the wood floors to the degree that we needed to replace a 300 square foot area in the new addition. We were out of money and the tenant's dad was a big lawyer in Houston and wrote us a letter threatening a lawsuit. We were out of money and didn't know where to turn. A customer of mine had mentioned LegalShield to me sometime before. My wife upon receiving the threatening letter asked me who that legal guy was. We bought the service and thought, what do we have to lose. We liked that we weren't bound by a contract and could cancel at any time.

We called the Law Firm of Ross and Matthews our law firm here in Texas, they told us to upload a copy of the letter to their website. They then fired off a response letter on our behalf and the floor cost of $3200 was paid for by the tenant, all it cost us was our $17 monthly membership, this one letter has paid for our membership cost to this date. Fast forward to now and we have had the attorneys there at Ross and Matthews help us navigate through countless legal issues and help us understand our options. They have helped us with big things all the way down to a $30 overcharge. In our 10 years as members, they have helped us get back in excess of $40,000 that didn't cost us anymore than our monthly membership. We will never be without the service.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

I have been a member of LegalShield for 18 years. Prior to that, I was used to dealing with attorneys on a "911" basis. In other words I would put off using an attorney because of cost until the very last minute. With LegalShield I have been able to spoil myself because I don't have to think about cost, I just get my questions and issues handled. My provider law firm has provided these services for over 30 years and they have perfected having a great "bedside manner" and truly helping people like me and thousands more from answering questions to fighting for mine and others rights!!!

My favorite memory, so far, is not long after I became a member I had to get an attorney to represent me in getting custody of my 16 year old daughter. I was referred to a very competent family law attorney while my ex used an attorney from her church who was not skilled in that area. Long story short, I got custody of my daughter, neither of us - especially my daughter - never had to appear in a courtroom and I got total custody and child support. I believe had I tried to find an attorney on my own, I would not have had the same results. This service can keep a legal question from becoming a legal problem! I recommend them daily!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

I have been a member of LegalShield for 23 years and just love, love, love this service! I recently was on the way to a football game and had to drive from Nashville, TN to Starkville MS. Well...that puts you going through Alabama with a TN tag..no love lost. I was pulled over and ticketed for doing 74 mph in a 55 mph zone. I am an excellent driver, just like to arrive early. I was able through the new app to scan my ticket on the side of the road and send directly to my TN provider firm, who called me the following Monday.

Within 48 hrs, I had connected with my Alabama lawyer in Russellville, AL who related to me that he knew the judge, she was fair and he could probably negotiate this to be dismissed and taken off my record, which he then did, and all I had to do was pay court cost. This is simple... Without LegalShield, I would have just paid the fine, which would make that the third ticket on my record (previous two were also dismissed) and about $3000 in additional premiums to my auto insurer over the course of the next three years. With LegalShield, no previous tickets the judge saw, and still no tickets on my record, and a "preferred driver" rate from my insurer.... This is a no brainer!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LegalShield?

Original review: May 18, 2020

I had a Home that was up for sale for six months and no one was living in it. The utilities company continue to charge me even though no one was living in the home to ramp up the usage. The bill was over $600. I called in and I was told that there was nothing that they could do and now I was being forced to pay $682. I called my LegalShield attorneys, they wrote a letter to the utilities company on my behalf. Two weeks later I got a phone call from the utilities company and they completely Eliminated the $682 bill. Absolutely awesome service!

Original review: May 18, 2020

This company has saved me thousands. Most recently I used the service because my internet company was charging me for an installation that never took place. The installation fee was only $50 dollars but I wasn’t going to pay for something that I didn’t receive. I called the company and they told me their technician said he installed new equipment so I had to pay. After being called a liar by the internet company I called LegalShield. They contacted the internet company and within two weeks the legal department of the internet company called me to apologize and inform me the 50 dollar installation fee was removed.

Original review: May 16, 2020

I love my LegalShield Membership. I saved over thousands in just less than one year with the cost of my membership compared to the price I had to pay a lawyer for “one” car accident I was involved in back in 2016. He charged me over $5000 just to send letters and make phone calls on my behalf. I only pay less than a $1 a day now for a lawyer to do that for me plus more with my LegalShield membership!

Original review: May 16, 2020

The services provided through LegalShield are great! I got the help I needed for a legal matter. And with the monitoring of my private information, I know I'm safe with IDShield. I really appreciate the service and the Member Perks are just as valuable and amazing as the service!!

Original review: May 16, 2020

Soooo much peace of mind comes with having a LegalShield membership. Just last week I was able to call in to ask a question in reference to an insurance situation AND send in some documents to be reviewed to ensure that everything was within my best interest before signing. Before having LegalShield I would have stressed over the insurance situation, spent hours on Google researching, I would have proceeded or I wouldn't have (but either way, I would have done so reluctantly and assuredly) and I would have signed the document without fully understanding it?

Without LegalShield, these 2 occurrences that happened in 1 week would have cost me hundreds and hundreds of dollars and more stress than I like to carry! With LegalShield, I don't have to carry stress, I can just carry on with my life! Now...let's talk about the speeding ticket that they helped me fight the end of 2019, or the Will & Healthcare POA that I had updated earlier this year... I'm just so thankful for this plan! This type of coverage and membership just ROCKS!

LegalShield author review by Michael Nranian

LegalShield provides legal services to subscribers. The company operates similar to an insurance company; members pay a monthly fee and then have access to legal services from a select group of providers. The company was founded in 1972 and is headquartered in Ada, Okla.

• Plan options: LegalShield has memberships for both individuals and families as well as businesses of various sizes. Consumers can choose the plan that bests fits their needs.

• Consumer education: The company’s blog publishes useful articles for all consumers. Topics include legal tips for pet owners, advice for disputing a bill, parental liability and more.

• Discounted rates: If LegalShield members need legal services not covered by their plan, they can use the company’s providers for rates that are at least 25 percent less than the attorney’s standard hourly rates.

• 24-hour assistance: Members can call for legal advice 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year, so they can get receive advice whenever they need it. They also have an app for both Android and Apple devices to make it easy for members to contact a provider.

• Clear coverage: Interested consumers can clearly see what services LegalShield plans do and do not cover by visiting the company’s website.

by Michael Nranian Invention and Patent Services Expert

Michael Nranian, a licensed patent attorney, has over 30 years of experience in product development, intellectual property, patent litigation, legal and technical compliance, and product liability litigation.

LegalShield Company Information

1972
    Formerly Named:
    Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.
    1 Prepaid Way