Consumer Reviews and Complaints

• 3 stars9%
  • 2 stars3%
  • 1 stars15%

www.legalshield.com

Life is unpredictable. LegalShield gives you the confidence of knowing whatever comes your way, someone is looking out for you. Whether it's with affordable, prepaid legal service that puts a dedicated law firm on your side or identity theft protection with IDShield that's best in class. IDShield is the only identity theft protection company armed with a team of Kroll licensed private investigators on call to restore your identity With LegalShield and IDShield, you're always covered.

LegalShield's 650 employees are dedicated to serving our more than 4 million users in the United States and Canada. Protect yourself and your family today.

I depend on the advice of LegalShield more than those I know personally. I've had 2 sticky situations where I would have not known what to do nor my rights had it not been for my membership.

We subscribed to LegalShield about 2 years ago. During this period we have called upon the attorneys in Virginia on several occasions and they have handled our matters quite competently and effectively. Response times and follow up were excellent. Work performed was highly professional. The LegalShield app with the 24 hour emergency legal access contact button also is helpful and all 5 of our children have the app on their phones. About a year ago, we also began promoting the service as we believe that every American should have the protection and peace of mind afforded by LegalShield.

I had the membership for less than 6 months. I was pulled over for using my cell phone. I advised him that I used it to call for an emergency situation with my family. As the officer proceeded to advise me why he pulled me over and took my driver's license and registration, I remembered that I had the 24/7 access to an attorney. I called and I was connected with an attorney within 2-3 rings. I handed the phone to the officer who had a 5 minute conversation with my attorney. The officer then said "please proceed and have a nice day." The attorney later called me & he explained what he said to the officer. I was amazed with the service! That would have been an expensive ticket and expended a lot of my time to possibly appear in court.

For problems like traffic tickets, they've been great for about the decade we've had them (they switched firms in AZ about 9 years ago). But if you call for a legal opinion, they will do everything they can to avoid giving you one. E.g.- I called a few years ago to find out whether, in AZ, stop signs on private property have the force of law. At our nearby supermarket, there's a stop sign at the exit of the parking lot onto the public street. Do I have to stop there by AZ law? The advice I got is summarized: "Well, if there's a stop sign, you really should stop. You wouldn't want to ignore it and have an accident." My Mom would give the same advice, but I am a grown man so I wanted legal advice.

A few days ago, I called to find out the definition of a term on a warranty deed. They wanted me to give them all the details of who was on the deed, etc. I just want to know how a word is defined. I am not asking for legal advice. They've saved us some money, but I am wondering whether it's really been worth it, and am considering dumping this.

I highly recommend Legalshield. They have been extremely helpful in several situations where we would have otherwise been taking advantage of from cell phone contracts (claiming phones weren't returned), traffic tickets (running out of gas), sales fraud (shipper wouldn't release the paid for product), workers compensation claims, a 3rd party at fault auto accident, etc. Sometimes you won't like the frank advice they give. But it's better than having to invest a retainer to only find out that you don't have realistic recourse.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LegalShield?

Factual basis uncertain

I subscribed to LegalShield several months ago, willing to pay a monthly fee for legal help when I need it. Recently the need arose and I contacted LegalShield looking for a simple contract. When I called the response was to call Merritt Webb the legal firm they assigned to me. So at the end of the day the monthly fee is to just refer me to a law firm. Not a firm specific to my needs... just Merritt Webb. LegalShield actually provides nothing except a referral and when you get to the law firm it a fee service. For your monthly fee, you get no legal services.

Also, when you call Merritt Webb, you first talk to a representative that asks the nature of your legal need. She asks a great deal of questions but it is frustrating that she asks a lot of questions that have absolutely nothing to do with the legal need. Then I'm told an attorney will call you within 24 hours. To conclude: Buyer beware. You are not paying a monthly fee for any legal advice or services, just a referral to a one-stop shop firm.

Both myself and another family member signed up for this service for one year to try it out. When we filled out the membership form there was an option to pay by credit card and you would be renewed automatically annually. We purposely paid by check to avoid the automatic renewal. Unknowingly, we found out that they have been debiting our checking accounts for the past two years. Last year I did not catch it, but this year I noticed it within a week of the charge. When I called they agreed to credit me the charge made this year, but not last. They claim I checked that I wanted the auto-renewal. I asked for a copy of the form showing this, but I never received it. I did receive a check for the one year and confirmation that my membership is canceled.

My other family member discovered the same exact thing happened to him. I still don't understand how they can just debit your checking account without prior approval. I never submitted a blank check or filled out checking account information on their form. They must have taken the information from the check I paid them with and used it to renew.

My cell phone had a lithium battery discharge. The local store helped me swap it out under the warranty. Two weeks later, customer service contacted me, said it didn't qualify because of the heat damage to the port, and I owed $460. I called, they wouldn't remove the charge. I call my LegalShield attorneys, they reviewed everything, wrote a letter, and in two weeks the charge was dropped, didn't cost me anything to get that done. This is exactly the type of reason I have this membership. I've saved a ton of money over the years.

We used our LegalShield membership after being denied replacement of our windshield. We bought new auto insurance with full-glass coverage, but once we needed to replace the windshield, the insurance company didn't want to honor the coverage, saying that we had a $500 deductible. They, then sent us new declarations showing the $500 deductible (they must have forgotten that they had sent us the first declarations with the full-glass coverage stated on it) and a letter saying there was nothing they could do and we should just pay the $290 for the windshield.

Anyway, we called our LegalShield attorneys, Davis Miles McGuire Gardner and after reviewing both declarations documents, they wrote an awesome letter to the insurance company, stating the law, and if they didn't honor the first declarations they would turn them into the Insurance commissioner and the Attorney General for fraud. Amazing, we got our glass for free. Thank you so much, LegalShield for being there to protect us from bad situations.

I've been a happy customer for about 8 months. As a business owner it has paid for itself many times over already. My rep George ** has been REALLY helpful and there when I needed him, though for the most part I deal directly with the firms in each city we are in. I was pleased to discover it even works in Canada because I also have an office there. They are great for handling that little stuff that eats away at your budgets - issues that you might have given up on instead of getting legal advice. If I have a negative it would be that they don't always give advice in writing when you would prefer that, but the unlimited phone advice has been awesome.

Amanda,

We are sorry to hear about your experience. If you would, please send us your membership number, and allow us to look into the situation for you.

LegalShield

Original review: July 25, 2016

I have called LegalShield's office a few times to have an attorney represent me for SSA claim being denied. The first time I spoke with someone at the Pryor offices they said that she put my information out there & someone would call me back & no one ever did. The second time I called to tell them that no one had contacted me, they asked again what it was for & told me that OKC offices handle SSA & then forwarded me to Tulsa offices.

The people at the Tulsa offices didn't know what Lawyers or where, handle SSA claim denials. They wanted to forward me back to Pryor offices because maybe they would know & I told them that they were the ones that forwarded my call to them. So, since no one knew, they forwarded me to a lady that was supposed to be able to tell me who to contact. I left her a voicemail & 2 weeks later, still no one has called. I am extremely disappointed in this company & the fact that I pay monthly to supposed to have legal help when it's needed & they have failed at what they are being paid for. If this is the kind of service I pay monthly for, no thank you.

Factual basis uncertain

I am writing this review to let people know what a terrible experience I had for my first time ever with a legal issue, which involved family probate. My mother died at age 93, with 3 wills on a family property; she was very ill with Alzheimer's & Dementia, very debilitating disease. I tried very hard to keep healthy and help her stay on track with life in general; but, others in my family took advantage and had her create wills that she did not understand what she had done, in the end. Well, had to fight to keep myself in the last one my family had her do, even in her illness; and I used at the time Pre-Paid aka LegalShield to help me find a lawyer to do that.

Not a good experience at ALL from the start. The first lawyer they referred had a heart attack. The 2nd lawyer who sort of helped me, but mainly I did all the write ups myself, with information that was needed, plus paid for xeroxing fees, should be in jail for extortion - got $17,000 in fees, but my family property is only worth $13,000 and wants a lien on my family's property for $30,000 more for made up fees in the end with this lawyer, telling me she does not care and I was told by a person working in her office she has someone with the same issues with this lawyer - even more money owed. Well I guess, so if the books are being cooked to reflect as such; which it is only worth $13,000, its creative billings without explanation, and PLEASE do not for you LegalShield discount with this lawyer they refer. Every time I did, that lawyer got angry and went up on fees, with the account mentioned.

Now, I am having to fight against this proposed lien on my family's meager estate, to this day. And the last lawyer was disbarred. Then, when you complain to LegalShield about the lawyers on their list and what they have done, there is NO PROTECTION for the client. I tried to get that. What you get is the poor, performing, lawyers they refer you to. Even if you evaluate them, it does not help. They stay on the list. Something should be done about that I think, As the public would like to trust the company decisions to have these people on their list ALL over the country.

Insufficient response received

John,

We are sorry to hear about your situation. We would love the opportunity to look into this for you. May we reach out to speak with you?

Original review: July 22, 2016

I had an issue come up not long after I purchased my LegalShield policy (Convenient, right?) and called to consult with a lawyer. The lawyer during our conversation couldn't even get the basic details of our situation right. She just wasn't listening and at one point actually accused us of criminal behavior. She was just not paying attention AT ALL.

When I called LegalShield they gave me the runaround about canceling my policy, did their best to harass me into staying by making the process to leave them as tedious as possible. When I asked to speak with a supervisor I was immediately hung up on and LegalShield's automated system refused to allow me to speak with a customer service rep afterwards, forwarding my number to an automated message. This company, much like many others that seem "too good to be true" is exactly that. You get what you pay for with legal services and what you pay for here is not worth the time. Xavier in customer service was particularly unhelpful.

BR,

We are sorry to hear about your experience. We would love the opportunity to look into the matter for you. May we reach out to you?

Original review: July 22, 2016

I have been a LegalShield member for 14 years. The Oregon LegalShield firm (Kivel & Howard) has gone down hill. The two 'attorneys' I spoke with this week were young and inexperienced. Argued with me and were disrespectful. I had requested a mature attorney but instead I got two that offered no customer service, acted like know it alls and refused to write the letter I requested. They were supposed to send me some kind of form by email but after 48 plus hours it still has not arrived. I think they use call center type lawyers that don't care a bit about the people they are supposed to represent. In the past I had good advice, that is why I kept my membership.

Last winter I had a bad experience with Lizbeth, who ignored me after our initial conversation. I was able to get Devin ** to help finish the issue and he was good. I requested him this week but instead was given to young smart mouths that were so rude I hung up on them. What a rip off. I think those young men were amateurs. They wanted to 'refer' me out to another expensive attorney and refused to write a letter that I asked them to write. Why pay for this kind of crummy service every month? The Oregon State Bar has a referral service that is quite good and is FREE. The first consultation is 35 with REAL attorney not a call center puppet. I am done with LegalShield. I can get great legal advice from the Oregon State Bar attorneys and plan to save my $26 a month and not feed the monster anymore.

We have been LegalShield Customers for 20 years. It was prepaid legal when we first enrolled. I was 34, married, pastor of a church, four children, and embarrassed to say, we did not have our last testament and wills prepared. We got our wills done by paying the first month fee of $17 plus a $10 sign up fee. The wills were worth $1000 for the two of us. Then they helped us with a woman who was harassing our family horribly. They guided us through taking her to court, at no cost, we won, she got her name in the paper and she stopped the harassment. Over the years, this was the singularly best thing that we have spent $17 per month on. When the economy crashed, our LegalShield attorneys helped us to save our home, by giving proper guidance. So, needless to say, with these and at least 25 other great stories of how we have been helped, we give LegalShield our five star rating and endorsement!

Been a member for a year now. Everyone needs this service, it tips the scales of justice. Earlier in the year I put my two weeks in at my job, they gave me two pay checks on my last day. When I cashed the checks, my bank decided to hold my money out of "suspicion". I called the bank and they said it would take 7 days to release my money. My very next call was to my law firm Parker Stanbury. They fired off a letter to my bank and the very next day, I got a phone call apologizing saying my money was released. Thank you LegalShield!

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs

Pat,

We are sorry that your were dissatisfied with your experience. We do have options that are available to you. We would love the opportunity to call and discuss these with you. May we reach out to you?

LegalShield

Original review: June 23, 2016

Been a member for 4 years as Married couple JOINT acct. Husband PRIMARY. Husband wants to cancel his. When I called and tried to continue my 1/2 (charge us each) Xavier in Ada said NO have to rejoin and lose all the banked hours. I ask "what if my husband were to die? Could I KEEP THIS?" Again, “NO you'd have to join NEW or keep paying for both" (since it’s joint) - I ask him to please ask the person in charge. Again his supervisor said NO. I think it’s a good thing to have BUT hate to have to join again. So if you’re looking to buy JOIN AS SEPARATE PEOPLE NOT JOINT, since they are unwilling to separate or make exception if your Primary should die.

Factual basis uncertain

I had LegalShield service for 3 years. There was prompt response from the law firm (Davis Miles), but the advice was inadequate. 9 times out of 10 I was referred to an outside Attorney in which I would have to pay extra. I was once told by Davis Miles Law Firm's attorney that they didn't know about the Arizona law in my situation. I tried talking to their attorney supervisor and was just referred to an outside Attorney in which I would have to pay extra. This is common, not just my experience but that of many other members I have talked to.

I was also a LegalShield Associate and I had many complaints from my members in that regard. LegalShield membership services wouldn't help. Davis Miles Law firm sent me a letter cancelling my LegalShield membership without explanation. I contacted LegalShield membership services and inquired about the letter that was sent to me by the Law firm. They would not even listen to my side of the story and automatically sided with the law firm. I communicated with the VP of membership services as well as the CEO and I got NO results. They preach about equality and fair justice for all but they don't practice it for their own members. I could not be a LegalShield Associate anymore because I can't sell something that I don't believe in.

Danny,

We are sorry to hear about your experience. We would love to look into this scenario for you. May we reach out to you?

LegalShield

Original review: June 13, 2016

I had subscribed to both a personal plan as well as a business plan. When both my business and myself were sued in the same matter LegalShield was only able to provide me an attorney at a "discounted rate", a 50% reduction in service charges. That seemed fair enough as I had not FULLY REVIEWED the TERMS & CONDITIONS of our contractual agreements. The bottom line is that the attorney churned the file, had his own agenda and didn't perform as we discussed in our initial consultation (which is not free).

The bottom line is this, in my opinion LegalShield exists because attorneys are abundant in a court systems that rarely goes to trial and has minimum sentencing guidelines that only Houdini could get one out of. When I was no longer satisfied with the services the attorney sent me a final bill which he later corrected for overcharges. He refused to provide me a copy of my file and is currently holding all of my file hostage until I give in to his ransom demand. He cites some Illinois law that gives him that right. The bottom line he didn't perform as expected.

There is a reason. The fact exists that the only ones who benefit statistically from lawsuits are the attorneys and the court system itself. Save your money and hire a competent attorney when needed. This is the "fast food" leader of representation. Think about that. I speak from experience. You can either take my word for it or take your own risks. I paid the tuition to have a Juris Doctorate in choosing a valuable and competent attorney! Furthermore I paid a monthly fee to endure such hardship. I would be insane to revisit this scenario.

Alex,

We are sorry to hear about your experience. May we please contact you, so we can look into the matter?

LegalShield

Original review: June 9, 2016

Had my children in a Daycare where my daughter was bitten extremely bad that her face and other parts of her body were bruised over and my son had bruising on one of his arms. I contacted LegalShield for assistance in seeing if I could get my money back as it was $600 for one week. They sent me over and got a letter typed up and said they give 15 days for response. After not hearing anything, I called back and they said they were giving it 30 days. Over a month passes and I call to follow up and am told that the daycare never responded and I asked why I was not called back and told option. Simply put, they said they do not do follow ups. A separate situation was when I called and asked that my home contract for a purchased be reviewed for me and was told what to look for. Not much help at all.

Sharyn,

We are sorry to hear of your experience. We would love to look into the matter for you. May we reach out?

Thanks,

LegalShield

Original review: June 6, 2016

My foot was broken at Ft McDowell casino and I hired Edmund ** to be my attorney. He said we needed to file by 2 years. He deserted me at 1 year because he either had other cases or he wasn't interested any longer (can't remember). When I filed at 2 yrs I found out it should have been filed at 1 YEAR. HOW EMBARRASSING IS THAT! By then he was working as a Partner at LegalShield/Davis Miles and on 3-5-2012 he said to appeal it by saying it's 'unconstitutional'. So this whole court case was screwed up from the beginning. In 2014 I had a meeting with Davis Miles, showed him all the emails of proof and Miles said SUE ME!!! The man was a 'teddy bear' and now he's a 'BEAST'. Ft McDowell Yavapai Nation, Tribal Court - Case #**.

UPDATED ON 06/07/2016: This is a followup of my life changing experience into poverty. I called Jerrod ** of LegalShield because his response was on ConsumerAffairs and he wanted me to call him. I told him my story on how Edmund ** gave me the wrong date to file. He said, "What can we do for you?" I told him I want $200k, which is less than what Edmund ** requested from Ft Mcdowell insurance company.

Jeff said they can't do it because IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MY LEGALSHIELD MEMBERSHIP! I didn't say anything to him about my L.S. membership!! I complained about THEIR ATTORNEY. Request the tape because he recorded our call. (When my foot broke, I had an appointment with Davis Miles and he said he had no attorneys that had tribal experience).

My story stands. Edmund ** caused my case to take a downward spiral because he gave the wrong filing date. In 2014 when Davis Miles saw my emails, he saw that a few had DAVIS MILES LOGO ON IT and that's when he said, "SUE ME." Jerrod ** is just another 'Slick Willie' who will say ANYTHING to get out of admitting guilt (Isn't that what criminals do!). He asked me 4-5 times "What can we do for you?" 'He' is a good reason people make jokes about attorneys! I ran for Justice of the Peace in 1994 and my life experience, and common sense makes me believable.

We have been fighting the city where we live because of 2 laurel oaks on our property. Before calling LegalShield, we called the city. The trees are damaging our property and recently broke part of a sprinkler system. The first time we had the law firm send a letter to the city and the city came and fixed parts of our property which was great... but the trees were not coming down... until the sprinkler system broke. The law firm then sent another letter to the city and if the weather permits, the trees are coming down because since they broke part of the sprinklers, the city is afraid that the roots are going to break the main water line which is very close to our property. THANK YOU LEGALSHIELD!!! Oh, and the city too!

I received a referral through LegalShield in Denver (Riggs Abney) to contact Kevin ** for help with a (hopefully) uncontested divorce as the respondent. My soon to be ex husband and I were having trouble making his own attorney understand we really did want an uncontested divorce and she seemed to want to escalate things and get us fighting! Kevin ** listened and acted exactly as I needed and wanted... was empathetic to my and our situation and gave me all the tools to effectively complete the needed legal documents correctly. I even was able to help my spouse complete his because his own attorney was negligent, rude and aggressive to my (then very ill) spouse... So Mr. **'s advice was timely, professional and sympathetic to our cause. His fee was very reasonable and I even got a refund!

I hear again and again how attorneys are out for nothing but money and want to escalate divorces and keep animosity between the parties... Well not Mr. **. I would thoroughly recommend him and his staff for a matter of this nature. Using the referral through LegalShield saved me 25% on the normal legal fees charged. I have used LegalShield consistently over 6 years and have found it invaluable for advice in both business and my private dealings i.e. real estate, copyright issues, divorce, poor workmanship issues etc.

Factual basis uncertain

I signed up for LegalShield and was told that any citation I previously had would be handled. Well after calling and speaking with LegalShield they have a 15 day period where they won't assist you without a fee. This was NOT told to me beforehand. I feel scammed by LegalShield, they took the money out of my account the same day. This was a complete waste of time and I was scammed!

We use our LegalShield membership all the time: cell phone bill issues, lease contracts, collections, credit card interest rate issues, home appliance warranty problems. It's great for all those little frustrating things. One time we had a letter the attorney wrote that didn't include the facts we'd provided. We called back the law firm and they had another written -- it was strong! We easily get back our $20 a month invested with one phone call. It's not perfect (nothing is) but it's as close as we've found. 7 years a member and we can't recommend LegalShield enough!

I consider myself an upstanding, law-abiding person. That being said, I utilize my LegalShield membership numerous times a year, every year, and it has always over delivered. Everyone should have one.

No response received

Tabatha,

We are sorry to hear about your experience. We would like the opportunity to look into this matter for you. May we reach out to you?

LegalShield

Original review: May 5, 2016

In the fall of 2014 I moved into a house and I found out later that a lot of stuff was wrong. A friend of mine was telling me stuff that I could try to get the home sellers to cooperate on some things. Now I did buy the home as is and didn't get an inspection, but I assumed (first time buyer's mistake) that the disclosure agreement was also a legal document. If someone says there is absolutely nothing wrong with the house then it should be just that. A lof of stuff was jimmy-rigged and I wanted to know what my options were. It's a long aggravating - I don't remember who I spoke to, but he was rude and didn't even try to help. When someone is upset it would be great if the lawyer would drop the tone and stop talking to the client like you're a moron. I would have complained sooner, but I didn't know this board was here, so I'm doing it now.

Luckily after speaking to friends I did find someone better to help and they were able to get the sellers to compromise and give me money to fix a good portion of the issues. So we didn't even have to go to court or anything. I wished that he could have at least tried and dropped the attitude. I hope not all the lawyers aren't like that one or I will have to stop my membership. For the price they charge every month I would hope for someone to TRY.

Factual basis uncertain

Some outfit they are!!! They scammed a 90 year old woman by charging her bank account for over 3 years before I caught it. She is legally blind and couldn't examine her bank statements. After providing all documentation including Dr's reports stating her age and blindness they continue to refuse Reimbursement to a Holocaust survivor living on a pension. They should be ashamed of themselves and if they behave that way BEWARE of their services. They would rather battle her by contesting this fraud by just continuously responding with letters of obfuscation to attorney general offices in 2 states. I guess they're just waiting until she dies. Shame on them!!!

Factual basis uncertain

I was a paying member of Pre-Paid Legal/LegalShield since 2010. It is now April 18 of 2016 and if you think this corporation is out to help the paying member, I have news for you. They could care less. Their claims of having experienced attorneys answering your calls and writing your letters is a complete lie. I've had an important pending legal matter for over a year. I was without a doubt a victim of a HUD housing scam. Plain and simple. LegalShield did not have one attorney that could answer a simple question. Further, they advertise how many attorneys they have at their law firms but do you think that's in the members' best interest? Nope, absolutely not. However, what happens when you call up with a legal matter that requires representation? I will tell you what they do.

I had a foot surgery done in April 2014 that failed. Whoever put on the splint after the surgery did it incorrectly and it healed wrong. Now the foot is worse than it was before the surgery. The doctor worked for a large non-profit Health Care System. With LegalSheild's network so large how do you think there wasn't a conflict of interest? They gave me a number to a slick attorney that convinced me that my case was worthless. All in the interest of the allegedly non-profit Health Care System.

Trying to navigate your way through the legal system is almost impossible in Colorado. Further, LegalShield is on the take from big corporations by alerting them of your pending legal woes. So, if you think LegalShield is working for you, you've been misled. They are able to give the corporations with heavy pockets a heads up on any real pending lawsuits and mislead the small paying member at the same time.

How am I assured that this corporation is corrupt? One of the attorneys making phone calls to members at the end of the day FORGOT TO HANG UP THE PHONE. Here they are making fun of their paying members and making comments such as "She has no money. That's worthless," and further derogatory statements that had me frozen on my couch. I could not believe what I was hearing. This organization is a corrupt scam for the paying members. For every member they help with a speeding ticket, there's another customer they direct towards an attorney that gives them bad advice.

LegalShield makes money from the corporations and businesses they protect. Your information is not protected under the attorney-client privilege. It gets worse. Once they know you have this recorded message both my phone and my computer have been hacked. They called around the clock trying to hear the message that could potentially put LegalShield out of business. People need to know LegalShield's intent and do not become another sucker.

Factual basis uncertain

I not only am a member of LegalShield but also an associate. I'm ashamed to tell people that because when I first started I believed in LegalShield. However, after 2 real estate issues, I no longer am a fan. They refuse to call me back. They put tax attorneys on a real estate issue. Due to their 'lack' of attention, I'm about to lose my home. Nothing they claim is true and they could honestly give a rat's ass about their customers while racking up $$$ every month for membership dues.

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.) Company Profile

1972
Formerly Named:
Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.
1 Prepaid Way