4.75/5
  • 1 star
Based on 1,004 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Life is unpredictable. LegalShield gives you the confidence of knowing whatever comes your way, someone is looking out for you. Whether it's with affordable, prepaid legal service that puts a dedicated law firm on your side or identity theft protection with IDShield that's best in class. IDShield is the only identity theft protection company armed with a team of Kroll licensed private investigators on call to restore your identity With LegalShield and IDShield, you're always covered.

LegalShield's 650 employees are dedicated to serving our more than 4 million users in the United States and Canada. Protect yourself and your family today.

LegalShield Video
A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 29, 2017

1204 LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.) Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

I was not allowed to have a phone consult with an attorney unless I sent over documentS first. I repeatedly advise them that I did not have documents. I then spoke to another attorney in the same practice. He said that I did not need documents but then proceeded to argue with me (because he was curious), to why I wanted to talked to an attorney about an issue he already gave me his opinion on. His job was to refer me to a MD attorney who knew MD laws. Customer service was rude & argued with me for 2 wks. Finally, when I got the contract in the mail, I called them and asked them where in the contracted it stated I needed documents. After a long hold, a snippy rep got on the phone and said that they finally canceled my membership & refunded my money. They are deceiving and dishonest but they didn't get my money!! Stay far away from these scammers!

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.) response

LegalShield provides benefits as outlined in the membership contract. We have a Provider Firm set up within each state to service the members of said state. Your legal issue originated from another state other than your state of residence. In this case, our process is to review any related documents to ensure the legal situation does get referred to the correct state as well as determine benefits of how the legal situation will fall within the benefits of the contract. We understand this process was not understood originally and not acceptable, so we cancelled and refunded your membership in full. We wish you the best.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

I attempted to cancel back in July of this year after my assigned Lawyer didn't get back with me after a couple tries. I even informed them it was over a will and time sensitive. I was also going to be involved in their MLM program but decided I could not effectively promote something I didn't believe was beneficial. I confess, I USED TO FAIL to go over my bank statements carefully but I did this month and found [in December] there was LegalShield, taking out money STILL. I guess they taught me something, always double check your statements! Everything they sent me went to spam so I had no way of knowing I was still with them.

I CANNOT PROVE THE NEXT PART but it is oddly coincidental. After, accusing them of being a waste of money and the only way they can keep people is to keep billing them when they try to leave. Somebody tried to get a credit card in my name in Detroit Michigan. I MEAN THE SAME DAY and my password with LegalShield just happened to be the same as that credit card [which I changed]. I had no problems before that...ever. But that is speculation but I can say WITHOUT A DOUBT, they gave me NO refund for all those months I had actually quit their service.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I immediately asked for a refund $140 roughly in total which according to their policy shouldn't be an issue (they don't refund the $100 state fee I had to pay when I set up with them. Isn't that swell). I got no response. They just sent me an email letting me know it was cancelled. I followed up with another email 2 weeks later asking about the refund and got ignored. So I submitted a BBB complaint, yesterday I got a call from customer service regarding that complaint stating everything was cancelled and they would refund everything minus the $10 nonrefundable fee (scam fee) and obviously the $99 state fee since that wasn't paid to them, mind you I was ok with this. I didn't expect them to refund that stuff.

However, today I looked at my bank account and have been refunded $40 total so far and CHARGED another $20 that I DID NOT give permission for! I sent them another email that was this time immediately responded to stating everything was cancelled (though they did list the wrong date for cancellation) and the refund request would be reviewed. If they post this charge I'm reporting it as fraud because I have lots of written documentation stating they do not have permission to charge me and they are too incompetent to fix this.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I bought LegalShield for one thing - cover me from speeding tickets. After almost a year of paying the monthly dues, I finally get a speed camera ticket and send it in with the app. The lawyer calls me and says, "Good news. There are no points for this, so you can just pay the $40 online." I asked her if she could just get it dismissed. She responded I could request a hearing and pay $100 per hour for legal representation... Isn't that what I'm paying you for? I then asked what tickets they do get dismissed and she said she could answer that because there are no guarantees. Frustrated I just paid the ticket online. At this point I'm not seeing value for my monthly membership and will be cancelling the service.

Matthew,

Our services aren't getting tickets dismissed, we cannot guarantee that. What we can guarantee is representation for moving traffic violations that don't rise to the level of a felony. With that being said, if you were told there would be an hourly charge for representation for the ticket you received, we'd definitely love to be able to look into this for you and get some more information because that is something we do guarantee.

We'd like to schedule a time to discuss this issue with you to ensure our attorneys are delivering the services we guarantee our members.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I subscribed to the credit monitoring service provided by LegalShield but was never able to avail myself to the service because of technology issues on their end. After three attempts to fix the technology issues I asked to be refunded the one month amount paid of $19.95. I received $0.66. The experience was a complete debacle. I have since easily joined a competing credit monitoring service.

Mr. Wright,

We looked into your membership, we definitely apologize for the 66 cent refund, that's not something we like to do. We're in the process of refunding the full amount of 19.95. It will be some time before the refund gets to you, due to the method of payment, we are sending a check. As for the technical issues you were experiencing, we actually were able to resolve those about 4-5 days prior to your cancellation. We look forward to being able to assist in the future if we're able.

David Sink

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LegalShield?

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

I was dissatisfied with my service, and have tried to cancel my account since JULY of 2017. It is the most impossible process ever, I am STILL being charged. They refuse to help you via phone, or email. I have even sent a certified letter to the mailing address. STILL CHARGING ME. I would NEVER recommend this service, EVER.

Lesli,

We show you had two memberships, one was canceled in August and the other was canceled in October. For the one canceled in October, we actually refunded the last two drafts because sent one cancellation request for the business membership, but not for the personal one. Both of these memberships haven't drafted in two months.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

Heard about Pre-Paid and now LegalShield for years - decades even. Always liked the idea of being able to ask legal questions without imposing on friends or friends of friends or posting on forums and getting people's experience but they aren't lawyers. Finally signed up recently (2017) when we had a small car accident. The staff there was very friendly, competent and talked about all the benefits - hours on top of hours for tax audits, wills, etc.

We had issues with the lawyer getting correct info into a letter they were going to write on our behalf. But the real 'catch' to this program is that they will give you hours of service, unlimited phone calls, unlimited incidents etc. But... 1 letter per incident. You pay for anything beyond that. Maybe you have something simple and 1 letter will do. But for a simple fender bender even, they did a courtesy 2nd letter when the other party sent back a letter. I could see this going back and forth in letters and costing more than it was worth. Cancelled LegalShield (which went smooth, in contrast to other's comments).

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.) response

There's no "catch" as you say, the benefits are clearly lined out on our website for any prospective member. There is no deceit or hidden agenda there. Its unfortunate you canceled your membership before the attorneys were able to fully assist. If you would ever need assistance in the future, we hope you reconsider allowing us to assist.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

I had never used an attorney when I was shown this legal plan. My brother is an attorney so I thought I always had a "hook up" if something ever happened to need one. After talking with my brother about it, I found out he only practices 1 area of law in 1 state and unless I needed help with internet commerce law, he couldn't even help me. For under $20 and no contract, I figured I had nothing to lose.

Boy was I happy a few months later when a lady ran a stop sign and T-boned us. Both me and my wife ended up in the hospital with whiplash. Because all of our injuries were "soft tissue" in nature, there were no broken bones or lacerations to show pain and suffering. It took 3 months of chiropractic visits to finally recover. At that point the insurance company offered us $1500 for pain and suffering. After consulting with my law firm, they offered to represent me or simply walk me through what to say and do to get a fair settlement. I chose to just use their advice and counsel which resulted in a final settlement of $19,000. Thank God I had quick access to one of the best attorneys in the State. Since then, I have used this service dozens of times and can't imagine life without access to my Constitutional rights.

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.) response

Dave, we couldn't agree more; whether it is the small everyday needs or larger more critical situation, you have an attorney by your side every step of the way. Thank you for your kind words!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I've had Legal Shield for a short time, but have called them on numerous issues ranging from being denied 60 days for section 8 to advice on how to submit things to family court. During that time I've lived in two states. While in my original state I was often told to call the courthouse to find out the answers to my questions as every courthouse is different. In the new state they just didn't know what my rights were. The first lawyer googled it while we were on the phone to find out. While I was googling, I found information that said they have to give you 60 days by law, but she found something that said 6 months from the time you port. I called back to show I hadn't been given either, but the second lawyer wasn't aware of what the first had said, and also wasn't sure what my rights were.

I called again on a second issue with the family court and was just told there was nothing short of hiring a lawyer that could be done as I'd moved, but I wasn't told I wouldn't receive help for that state by Legal Shield before I moved. The three stars are because the lawyers were just so pleasant. I'm used to lawyers at Legal Aid hotline (not Legal Shield) yelling or being snide, or desperately calling lawyers, asking for pro bono doing the typical "how dare you?" attitude as lawyers insist on a $2,500 retainer just to start working with you, and asking for handouts is about as popular as begging for change outside a supermarket, even if in Michigan they are required to give a percentage of their time to pro bono work. In spite of only needing 20 dollars a month, at Legal Shield I was treated with dignity and respect every time I called. It was unreal how patient Legal Shield's lawyers were and how pleasant and very patient they were.

My sales representative, Angel, was also a darling man and I just wish the services had been able to help us. As for sales - I saw that someone said they were a pyramid scheme. Each old sales representative makes permanent money from the next. Each sales rep also pays $100 dollars down for a web service that will send emails and other things to your clients. I looked up why Avon and other pyramids weren't considered pyramid schemes and it turns out that if the product is sound, it can't be.

I wasn't able to see if ID Shield worked, as I wasn't on it long enough. I would have kept that part, just to see, if not for financial problems - which is why I looked into selling. I thought maybe if I sold it, I could afford to keep it. Also, it appears they honored my request for cancellation within 24 hours of my emailed (written) request, and was very happy.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I have been paying monthly fees for this service for almost a year when I finally needed to use the service. I was referred to their firm Bervar & Jones in Hawaii because the matter was related to a condo in Hawaii. The matter was extremely simple, it involved reimbursement of 2 AC repairs totaling $1017. Right from the beginning there seemed to be lack of interest in helping me. What the attorney was very good at was to mention 2-3 times in every conversation that I need to become “their client”. I thought I already was thru Legal Shield but obviously they didn’t see it that way. With the Legal Shield membership I am entitled to free phone consultation, review of 15 pages of documents, and a free letter to the opposing party (the Condo Board) in this case.

The attorney placed obstacles at every turn making it very frustrating and difficult. She insisted I send her the entire document called House Rules where AC repairs and responsibilities were addressed only in one paragraph. I told her that, yet she INSISTED on wasting 12 pages of my allowed free 15 pages by saying she must have the entire document. There were 6 other pages that were much more important and this now put me over the limit. The outrageous part is that when it came to the draft of the letter she put together, none of the important points contained in the documents she SUPPOSEDLY reviewed, were included.

Now to the quality of the letter. It was as if a sixth grader wrote it. It even had a spelling error, it was very vague and was not pointing out at all why we should be reimbursed for the AC repairs. The information contained in the documents was very strong in our favor, such as the Board admitting that they erroneously had owners believe that AC repairs and maintenance was their responsibility when in fact it was the Board’s. Also we had an email from the property manager (overseen by the Board) stating that we will be reimbursed upon submitting paid invoices, which of course we did. Yet the Legal Shield lawyer’s letter made no mention of any of this. I was so frustrated I told them I will write the letter (which I did). Essentially it was my letter that was sent. To get this short, uncomplicated letter out dragged on for 5 weeks.

This was primarily because of unnecessary and outright stupid delays on their part. Ultimately because of all the delays the letter missed an important Board meeting on September 26th which could have resolved the issue. The next Board meeting will not take place until end of November. I complained to my home office in NJ who actually referred me to the firm in Hawaii (it is how Legal Shield is set up). They contacted the Hawaii firm to tell them how unhappy I was with their service, actually lack thereof.

I could not believe when the NJ office representative called me to tell me that the Hawaii office is not interested in doing anything further regarding this matter because “they have gone above and beyond” what they should have. LAUGHABLE AND RIDICULOUS. They reviewed more than 15 pages unnecessarily because they insisted, yet they didn’t use any of the “supposed reviewed” info in their letter. So what was the point?? That attorney didn’t know two things about the matter even at the end. And ultimately it was MY LETTER that was sent because theirs was an embarrassment. Needless to say I stopped my membership and this RIDICULOUS WASTE OF MY MONEY AND MY TIME.

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.) response

We sent this information to be reviewed by our quality department. After review, we offered/allowed benefits according to the contract. The firm needs the entire document to be reviewed to ensure they have all of the facts of the case. Also, the document review and letter sent is something that goes above and beyond the contract because it was business related. We've offered to have you referred to another firm but you declined.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

Terrible company, terrible services. Just do a Google search for reviews. LegalShield is just a pyramid scheme where they earn commissions from other people trying to sell their services. People who have never even used them. They try to weasel their way out of absolutely everything with some loophole in your contract. When they actually do try to offer advice, it is from a cheap, inexperienced lawyer who knows nothing about what he is trying to advise.

Usually the best answer you will get is "I think" or simply "I don't know." You will not get any actually useful definitive legal advice that you can use. Usually they are downright rude and unresponsive. God forbid you actually have any serious legal issues, you're better off defending yourself. They can't answer simple yes/no type questions, and are rude when they try. Even their own employees give them bad reviews, calling it a lawyer mill, citing poor working conditions, bad wages, poor management, and extremely high turnover. Just search for the employee reviews from glassdoor dot com.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

They will have their attorneys, that cannot be bothered otherwise, write very poor letters on your behalf (if you are lucky). My last 3 letters were never written and I was allegedly terminated by the company in March of this year. In the letters that were written on my behalf, one literally stated: "Mr. X (me) has informed us that you have committed malpractice. Accordingly we demand $35,000. Any payment or correspondence should be sent directly to him as Mr. X has not retained us."

And another indicated something the complete opposite. "Mr. X and his family have come down with food poisoning which they believe was contracted via your restaurant." (He failed to mention to contact me directly). The insurance adjuster for the restaurant attempted to contact him countless times, via email, phone, fax, letter yet he informed me that they had made no such attempts. This allowed the stature of limitations to lapse and no recovery to be made.

I was also sued and their defense hours are a complete joke. I was not given any hours because I "could not win". After hiring outside counsel, I won but LegalShield refuses to reimburse me. These are just a few of the problems I encountered having paid LegalShield for many years. Also note that their prepaid legal name was so severely soiled that they changed it to LegalShield in a muddled attempt at a fresh start. Same terrible company, different name. A great alternative, ARAG Legal (Google it) is actually assisting me in suing LegalShield now. I just have to pay the $250 deductible and hope that they can get around LegalShield 's forced arbitration clause. Good luck.

Mr. Hastings,

Your concerns have been fully reviewed. As indicated previously, there is nothing further we can do on these matters. LegalShield extended services according to the benefits outlined in your contract. The membership was canceled based upon the general provisions of the contract.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

Member for over 18 Years. My case is not a criminal matter - If you are in B.C and they try to make you feel like this is all your doing I here to tell you it is not you. It is THIS office! In the past this service was fantastic! In the last 2.5 years, it has turned to **! That's some ego you have TIM! I am sure he is burnt out and he needs to retire from the law! I know others have a similar encounter with him. I am not the only one who has made a report on this angry, disrespectful male. Another has shouted at me too but he was very good in the past. I will not mention his name. The reason for the 2 stars is that this service use to be top notch. It has significantly declined. I would not recommend this to people in the B.C Canada area.

It was so bad I dreaded calling with an on-going issue. I finally call head office to tell them my concerns and I get Tim to handle my issue who was told I made a formal complaint who then wants to rehash my past issues. He seemed pissed that I complained to head office. I could go on to write the whole story about this horrible experience with him but I don't have this kind of time.

Once again I call head office to say what happened AGAIN. I ask for some kind of compensation for the last 2 years of this ongoing issues and how awful it is to have to call this Vancouver office. This woman at the head office said she would look into my file and call me back. That was 3+ weeks ago. I asked to be able to speak with a lawyer in my city to help me once and for all with this very old case that will not go away without legal assistance in doing things properly. We use to get respect when we called for help. I am sure that office has about 50% of its lawyers either with a huge ego or they are simply burnt out. TIM says there is no one else I can talk to. He is the only one left. Not going to quit TIM! I have paid for this service and I want the help that was promised with my membership. You all need to STOP YELLING AT US!!!

I still don't want to call there. I wonder if they are hoping I will just quit! I would be willing to pack up and go with another firm if I can have the last 3 years of paying back as I have nothing but a bad taste in my mouth every time I want to call there. The nicest person there is the one who answers the phone. My payment is pre-authorized so I don't know how to show a receipt. The business relationship is one where I pay and get nothing back.

Barbara,

LegalShield provides services as outlined in the contract.  Our last interaction on 9/12/17 indicates you were working with Attorney Hatt on your legal matter.  We have not been made aware of any additional complications since that time.  If you are experiencing a challenge, we encourage you to contact LegalShield so that we may re-open your resolution file and work together towards a solution.   Due to client privilege, LegalShield nor the law firm can work together towards a solution without your request and consent in this matter.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

I recently got 2 tickets at the same time, but two different tickets. One for speeding and one for having a radar detector visible. I called LegalShield to take care of my speeding ticket - but all I was given was advice on getting an attorney at a discounted price to take my tickets to court. I was told that LS takes care of traffic tickets - and the reason they gave me was "because I got a ticket for the radar" along with the speeding ticket - so they would not take care of the ticket. I'm confused; I've had LS for many years and only have used them twice - one would think they would help me with my issue - if it is a fact that LS does take care of traffic tickets (confused on to keep / or get rid of LS). By the way, under normal circumstances, I give LS a 5 star rating - but not for this issue...

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.) response

Thank you for reaching out, Virgil. After our phone conversation, I've filed the report and our Client Services department will begin to look into this situation. Once they have the information they need, they will reach out to you. I will follow up once I see the report is completed.

Resolution response: Aug. 28, 2017

My money was refunded or I was not charged, but the FTC has been notified. I will help them with whatever they need.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I literally knew my rights and the law better than Legal Shield. I felt pressured into signing up, but I figured they were hungry and this would help get my issues resolved. I paid the $29.99 fee and scanned all my documents. The woman on the phone (Trina?) told me a few days later that she had only reviewed 15 and that's all she's obligated to review. Then after trying to talk me out of suing for clear documented violations of my civil rights she referred me to a lawyer who will charge me thousands but I get a sweet Legal Shield 25% discount.

I'm paying them for nothing. They were supposed to provide a lawyer. I was expecting a few referrals, because my case is complicated, but has clear evidence of numerous violations against hospitals and government agencies. They don't do class action, and I'm trying hard to find anything I did get from them. My life is ruined and these parasites come at me for money I don't have, then they badger you into signing up, and get snotty on the phone (Janet? Washington DC Office) then they do what I could have done on my own which is call attorneys from the Yellow Pages. Don't waste your time. This could be a great service, if done properly, but it's a scam.

Dustin,

With the Legal Membership you have, the document review benefit is limited to 15 pages per document. Any more than 15 pages and it's covered with the 25 percent discount off the attorney's standard hourly rate. Also when filing a lawsuit against someone else, that too is covered under the 25 percent discount and is typically referred out to an attorney that either specializes in that area of law or has more experience to ensure you're getting the best attorney for your specific case.

All of this is listed in the contract that was sent out to you on 08/16/17.

LegalShield

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

I have had LegalShield for almost 6 years. I had ran a stop sign. I send over my ticket to my law firm. The attorney called me back in less than an hour. He told me to send him a money order for ticket and he would go to court for me. I watch 3 grandkids and can't go to court. My attorney went and my ticket got reduced to a parking ticket. No commute, no hassle, no points insurance rates low for 3 more years. Thank you LegalShield!

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.) response

Thank you, Michelle! We're so glad to hear these great stories!

Resolution response: Aug. 18, 2017

For whatever reason my closing posted yesterday was not loaded publicly, so will only repeat it here. My start rating has degraded to the lowest levels, so if I may I will leave it without stars. This is only a repeat of what I had posted yesterday but I can't yet see publicly:

I have been back and forth with LS (privately) and it has developed into nothing.
In essence, they stand on their ground that we are unable to get any assistance on having the "Termination Agreement" reviewed because of "conflict of interests". So, the upper hand goes to the corporation and never to the individual, not even review of a "Separation Agreement and General Release of Claims" to ensure we were not getting into a future legal mess -- guess what, I did all the work Legal Shield should have done, half of it while on a road trip of a vacation -- LS: 0 points for this one. We were in dire need of counsel, at a moment's notice (my wife was laid off the day before we started our anniversary and my birthday vacation) we had to deal with a legal ordeal all while on the road ourselves. Not only do they not stand by their "false advertised promise" of "LEGAL PROTECTION WHEN YOU NEED IT" but they can't even assist on advising which route to go and possible economically feasible alternatives (anyone can imagine how much would cost to get a lawyer, who charges per hour, to advise us in this type of case? And do it all while on vacation). I also followed up with a BBB complaint which shall be made available publicly soon, but honestly the experience has been the worse service I have encountered this year from any company and perhaps the worse I have experienced in the past 5 years, it may be worse if I take into consideration the others had some sort of resolution even if minimal.

I have nothing positive to say from this experience and about LS at this point except that consumers need to be aware what they are getting into. When I signed up for this plan I really expected legal representation/assistance in the times we most needed it, that succumbed in the past two weeks. Consumers, best find a reliable legal plan/service that will look out for YOUR interests and not that of others. Total disappointment and I hope other poor souls don't fall for these traps.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

I have been a LegalShield member for over 10 years and my wife an associate for nearly as long. I acquired my membership through a friend who was an associate and sold me the product. My wife was notified that she was being laid off from her job on Thur 27 Jul with an effective date of 31 Jul 2017. Her employer offered the LegalShield services and she acquired "her" membership through them (invalidated effective 31 Jul 2017). Due to the complexity of the given "Separation Agreement and General Release of Claims" provided by her previous employer, we decided to request legal counsel to have it reviewed by the "only one firm" that we can go to as assigned by LegalShield in our area, but we did so using my account (she is added, as my spouse) which is not affiliated to her previous employer or to any other organization at all (I did not establish it through my employer either).

We called the legal firm on Fri 28 Jul and received a call back from the lawyer until Monday 31 Jul. The lawyer was quite impolite and unable to listen, but his bottom line was that they could not provide services due to "conflict of interests" the firm had because my wife worked for one of their clients; as the guy was unable to listen so that we could get a deeper explanation, we requested to talk to a supervisor. We then got a call back from the supervisor on 2 Aug and he explained that the law firm does have a "conflict of interest" but that also since my wife acquired her plan through the employer, they could not review the documents and/or transfer the case to a different firm all while using the LegalShield services because of it.

Now take into account that the case and request to review the documents had all been done through my LegalShield account, where my wife is added and which has no affiliation to my wife's employer whatsoever; we also are not considering legal action on her employer but simply have the release reviewed and legal counsel be provided as it looked quite restrictive when it comes to her job opportunities in the future, we wanted some of the language rescinded or at the very least modified so that she has the freedom to be fully employed again without any worries of legal action. As the law firm explained to us why they were restricted we then proceeded to call LegalShield on 2 Aug (my birthday) and talked to a rep from member services, who was unable to fully explain the reason for denial of services, we later spoke to her supervisor who reaffirmed that we could not use their services.

Now, why would anyone buy a plan for which you pay month to month to have at least some good legal advice if in the end you can't have it because they have "preferential treatment" to employer or clients with group memberships? Also, why can't the legal representation/counsel be transferred to a different firm and why do they restrict the customers so much to ONLY ONE legal firm? We understand if a law firm has a "conflict of interest", but I don't remember signing any papers where we are unable (as a couple) to have documents reviewed if the "one" firm we are assigned to by them has such conflict of interests. It does seem that LegalShield has preference over businesses with which they have established a group account.

Legalshield claims on their page: "Worry less. Live more" (that's part of their motto I believe). They also state: "LEGAL PROTECTION WHEN YOU NEED IT. Life is unpredictable. You never know what's around the corner. LegalShield gives you the confidence of knowing whatever comes your way, your provider law firm is there when you need it." Such statement, based on our case is completely untrue, they left us hanging dry. This all happen during my birthday and on a day while we were also trying to enjoy our anniversary trip which had been planned for a very long time, the notice of layoff was given to my wife the day before we started our vacation. We had to then deal with two headaches, a lay off and also maneuvering and evasion from LegalShield and what feels as false advertisement. As a paying member of a service all I want from it, as a minimum, is to have that service deliver!

LegalShield has less than delivered on that objective of theirs! I have also followed-up with a BBB complaint regarding the advertisement LegalShield has given and the distorted way in which they completely left us hanging in this case. The reasons provided by their representatives are one that are not explained through any of their associates and also not provided during courses they offer, to which I have assisted a couple of times. This gives good reasons even for a potential "associate" (as it was the case with me) to have deep disbelief on their offered services and the claims they make to have customers fairly helped and represented. How can one, as a customer who is left in the sidelines, become a representative and later try to sell a product that you know is deeply flawed and filled with "unadvertised" gaps?

Mr Diaz,

After looking into the situation, it was explained due to your wife having a membership with an amendment stating she could not use LegalShield against her employer in any way. This still applies if she gets a different membership, is listed as a spouse or listed as a dependent. If allowed this and assisted a member listed as a spouse on a different membership we would be circumventing the amendment. The amendment is listed in the paper contract LegalShield sends out to group members. If there is any amendment or exclusion it is provided.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

I admit this is my own fault, I didn't look into what I was buying. I went on what I THOUGHT I knew, what it sounded like it was from the way it was explained to me. I THOUGHT I was paying a monthly fee for having a lawyer or a lawyer's advice available, seemed like a deal, right?! I called 3 times in 3 years but, the LAST (third) time I called, I realized I'd been foolish! My husband and I want temporary custody, uncontested, of our grandson. I called and they emailed me the paperwork we need to fill out. While I was completing the paperwork, and I want to be SURE it is correct. I called to confirm who is the "Respondent" and who is the "Petitioner." Their answer, for a reduced fee they could put me in touch with an attorney who could answer that question?!?! Seriously?!?! The reason they can't help is that if they gave me advice that affected my case, it could come back on them... SERIOUSLY?!?!

So, I say, if you give me the definition, or, god forbid, actually tell me if I am the Petitioner or the Respondent, that could screw the case up?! Anyway, what I got from them I could've EASILY gotten from the internet. I thought the benefit was they would go through the document step by step and help me fill it out, that is definitely NOT the case! If I can save even ONE person from signing up, this would be worth it. (PS I almost never write reviews so know, that when I do, I'm seriously irritated!)

Suzie,

The reason the provider firm advised they could refer to you an attorney for reduced fee is due to the attorney of record. If an attorney were to give advice or assist with a case that goes to court, they become the attorney of record for the client. What the law firm was attempting to do was put you in touch with someone in your area that specializes in that area of law. The attorney of record must be formally fired by the client prior to another attorney taking the case. If this situation were to end up in front of a judge, the process to get the correct attorney for the applicable area of law becomes more complicated and more hassle for the member.

I hope this helps clear up why the law firm was trying to refer you to the correct attorney.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Aug. 2, 2017

I just signed up and changed my mind not even 15 minutes after paying to join the membership. Customer service was horrible. They advise you that you have to provide a written statement canceling services in order to be refunded. This is just another way to not give people their money back right away or discourage people from requesting a refund. Just giving people a hard time. They can charge your card right away but if you want a refund you got to submit an email or fax requesting cancellation and then wait 15 days to be refunded. Bad business. I don't recommend this. If you are receiving this type of service there is no telling how much more money you will lose behind their scams. Do your research. Every dollar counts. Dave Save yourself the headache.

Hello Johanna,

I'm showing we working your refund on 08/02 when it was requested. As far as requiring written request, we understand it requires a little more effort on the member's side, however we do that so we have proof of a cancel/refund request on file. It's to ensure the security of the member. We wouldn't want a membership to be cancelled over the phone if someone were to have some of the members vital information.

David

LegalShield

Original review: July 29, 2017

I have been a member of the Prepaid Legal Service for a very long time. Recently, I contacted Prepaid Legal (now LegalShield) with an issue I have with the San Angelo ISD. I was told that my representative was Ross and Matthews and that their representative in San Angelo was Griffin **. When I contacted him, he told me that he could give me advice, and he has reviewed some documents for me, but because his firm represented the San Angelo ISD, he could not represent me at hearings. I can understand his situation, but the fact is that I HAVE PAID FOR THIS SERVICE! Why am I now left in the cold? I have a contract with Prepaid Legal (LegalShield) and they should be FORCED to honor it EVEN IF they have to pay someone outside of their firm to do it!

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.) response

Randall, we would be happy to look into this situation for you. We will reach out to you using the contact information provided here to further assist you.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: July 26, 2017
I need an attorney to get my money back from LegalShield. I left the USA last fall, and was told my membership would be put on hold for 3 months. LegalShield kept billing me. When I found out 3 months later that I was being billed, they promised to refund my 3 months, and put it on hold. 3 more months go by, and

not only did I not get refunded, I was billed for 3 more months. I canceled my membership, but not before they billed me for 3 more months. Waste of money this company. Do yourself a favor and find a good local attorney you can turn to.

Original review: July 11, 2017

I received the contract in the mail for LegalShield but I never signed up for it - and a charge appeared on my credit card. I immediately contacted the CC company to notify them of the unauthorized charge and contacted LegalShield to inquire as to how I got these and to cancel. They contend I went to their web-site and signed up. No, I did not. I don't need the representation. I have been watching all my CC accounts for more ID theft type of charges and nothing shows up. I can't get them to refund the charge although they acknowledge they will cancel the account. This smells like a scam. Be careful.

Phil,

Thank you for taking the time to speak with us today and allowing us to resolve your issue. If there is anything else we can do to assist you, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best,

Jarrod Legg
Member Services Supervisor

LegalShield

Original review: July 10, 2017

The attorneys have always been very friendly and helpful. They call back in a timely manner, even after hours, to make sure we are taken care of. We have had the service for 32 years and it has saved us a lot of money and given us peace of mind. I wouldn't be without it.

Original review: June 29, 2017

I emailed member services to ask the simple question, “If I need to make minor changes to my will, created by LegalShield, is there a charge, or is that included in my membership?" Member services could not answer this simple question! They advised me to contact my provider attorney firm. I didn't want to spend an hour getting a reply to the voice mail I would have had to leave, I just wanted a simple question answered. The time that I have used my provider attorney, or visited their office, they were unfriendly and condescending. Who wants to put up with that!

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.) response

Matt, yearly revisions to your Will are covered under the benefits of your membership. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the confusion. Additionally, you can use the LegalShield Mobile App to complete the questionnaire and submit directly to your Provider Firm for revision. If you have any questions, or if we can be of any further assistance, please contact LegalShield Member Services at 800-654-7757 (7-7 CST, M-F).

Insufficient response received
Original review: June 27, 2017

Dempsey, Roberts & Smith, Ltd. are the problem. Dempsey, Roberts & Smith, Ltd. SUCK! This is my second attempt to use this law first and my impression is that they do their very best to avoid helping clients. I called and spoke to what I suspected was a Legal Assistant who would not pass me on to an attorney until I explained the nature of my requirement. I wanted to have my Family Trust and Will amended, but they insisted that I first start by completing a new will form, submit it to them, and then they would consider the Trust amendments. I asked to be referred to a local attorney, and they would not do this without everything going through them first - i.e. they were demanding that I start the process from scratch. Where is LegalShield when we need you? What is the point of having a law firm 1,000 miles away in Henderson, NV? I have signed up with ARAG - much better options, and they have LOCAL attorneys that I can go and visit.

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.) response

Pete, the process for preparing your Will, including revisions, is to complete a will questionnaire and submit it to the Provider Firm, who will then prepare your Will for you. There is no need for a referral in this process. It seems you have a misunderstanding of the benefits of your membership.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: June 22, 2017

This is a disgraceful company to do business with. Shameful and Disgraceful. In March of 2017 I called and cancelled my two accounts and was given to understand that such cancellation had been completed with immediate effect. At that time I was given no instructions on any requirement to write to confirm the said cancellation and therefore relied on the honesty and integrity of the LegalShield organization to carry out the cancellation as agreed with your telephone based employee. BIG mistake!

On a recent audit of my bank accounts, I discovered that LegalShield had violated the trust I had placed in it during the above mentioned transaction and that the company had continued to help itself to my money as detailed: April 21, 2017 $9.95, April 21, 2017 $15.95, May 19, 2017 $9.95, May 19, 2017 $15.95, June 19, 2017 $9.95, June 19, 2017 $15.95. Total $77.70. Given that they were not legally entitled to my funds without my permission and that, in all good faith, I had cancelled my membership, these funds are now viewed as misappropriated by LegalShield and I have requesting that said funds should be immediately returned to me, forthwith.

This action may have been an oversight or it may have been simply dishonest, but either way this disgraceful organization further besmirched its name by the manner in which it dealt with this matter when I was informed that the loss of these funds was simply my own fault! Disgraceful! My advice to anyone considering doing business with LegalShield is DON'T. Try cancelling and see if their so called ethics are adhered to and see if they are honest enough to return overpaid monies to which they are not entitled.

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.) response

Gordon, in short, our cancellation policy is this: you may cancel your membership at any time, by providing us a written request to cancel your membership. First, it is a legal and regulatory requirement that we validate the identity of the person wanting to request cancellation. Second, because the service involves legal issues, a signed cancellation is a definitive document versus a phone call or email. It is inappropriate but natural to think "they won't let me cancel because they are bad people running a scam." But that is untrue. We have a clear cancellation and refund policy, plainly presented in all our materials, and it is intended to protect the legal rights of our members, and the integrity of our business. If we can be of any further assistance, please contact LegalShield Member Services at 800-654-7757, from 7-7 CST, Monday – Friday.

Original review: May 30, 2017

I had PPL/LegalShield for several years prior. They started dictating letters to send on my own behalf, when I started getting frivolous lawsuits filed against me. I owned a company - Easy target. Right. I had a home mortgage with Litton Servicing LLC, collecting the payments. During my business shutdown, I got a couple payments behind. Litton said to hold my payments, they would "modify my mortgage."

A few months later, I received a foreclosure notice. I told Litton that I had the money, what would it cost to reinstate my loan. They would only give me a verbal number (illegal) and it was increased by thousands each day. With a foreclosure pending, PPL sent me a referral to a young, rude, hack of a lawyer, just out of college. I explained that time was of the essence. After 2 weeks, he had not even started... Told me to come pick up my check. I then had 3 days to move out of the home I had 10 years vested interest in (09/09) and it cost me $30k equity and my home. I became a "homeless veteran" for three years... Thanks for nothing, PPL... I WOULD CHANGE MY NAME, TOO, IF I HAD YOUR REP.

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.) response

Mr. Dowling, it is unfortunate that you were not satisfied with your membership that was discontinued in 2009. Our Provider Firms have an average of 22 years of experience and are held to the strictest standards. This ensures that our members have the very best assistance possible in each and every interaction.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: May 10, 2017

I worked with a Louis ** out of Cincinnati, Ohio after hearing good things about this company. He was unprofessional, and appeared to not be educated with this product. I was referred by friends and family, and still decided to move forth. Louis was unable to sell me on the product, or make me feel comfortable to buy, and when I expressed this with him, his mood changed. He became passive, aggressive, and raised his voice. I ended the phone call at this time. Do not buy LegalShield, and do NOT have Louis ** assist you! STAY AWAY!

Original review: April 13, 2017

I continue to have problems with LegalShield. I was referred to an attorney for an auto accident case only to learn that they are not required to offer any discounts on contingency agreements. I called their corporate office and was told that's just the way it is. Also they limit referrals to three attorneys so if you aren't happy with a firm's high rates they will cut you off and you will be on your own to find a firm to represent you.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: April 7, 2017

There is absolutely NO WAY that all of these 5 star reviews are legit. LegalShield dumped the name Prepaid Legal because they had such a bad rep and it was totally unsalvageable. They treated me like utter garbage. Once I hit the 5 year membership (maximum benefits) mark, I got sued. Did they give me ANY representation? Of course not. This is the second time it has happened. I complained and they canceled my membership. UTTER BS. If you want to get screwed over and then not protected when in legal trouble, sign up and pay your dues regularly. When it comes time to use them, do NOT expect them to be there. I have a complaint against them pending with my state's Dept. of Insurance. I will NEVER sign up with them again.

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.) Company Information

1972
Formerly Named:
Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.
1 Prepaid Way
Ada
OK
800-654-7757
www.legalshield.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use