toll free
Call now for more information

toll free
Call now for more information

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

I was almost arrested for "stealing" some broken pieces of wood next to the road which had a free sign sitting in front of them. My brother was with me and was getting arrested as well. I told the officer I would like to call my attorney immediately and he just looked at me and sort of ignored me then continued to arrest my brother. At that time I had my phone already in hand and I dialed the emergency number. A lady answered and I gave her my member number and an attorney was on the phone in about 20 seconds.

When the officer turned to handcuff me I tried to hand him my phone and said, "My attorney would like to speak with you". He took a step back and told me he wouldn't take the phone. After that the attorney began to ask a series of questions through me to the officer and by the end of a 2-3 minute conversation between the three of us, the officer got back into his car and sped off. My brother and I both went home that night with no charges!!! I would absolutely recommend this to anyone and everyone. Great service.

I highly recommend Legalshield. They have been extremely helpful in several situations where we would have otherwise been taking advantage of from cell phone contracts (claiming phones weren't returned), traffic tickets (running out of gas), sales fraud (shipper wouldn't release the paid for product), workers compensation claims, a 3rd party at fault auto accident, etc. Sometimes you won't like the frank advice they give. But it's better than having to invest a retainer to only find out that you don't have realistic recourse.

I've been a happy customer for about 8 months. As a business owner it has paid for itself many times over already. My rep George ** has been REALLY helpful and there when I needed him, though for the most part I deal directly with the firms in each city we are in. I was pleased to discover it even works in Canada because I also have an office there. They are great for handling that little stuff that eats away at your budgets - issues that you might have given up on instead of getting legal advice. If I have a negative it would be that they don't always give advice in writing when you would prefer that, but the unlimited phone advice has been awesome.

Factual basis uncertain

I cancelled my membership in writing and LegalShield continued to debit my account for the monthly fee. I spoke to them several times and wrote them two other times. 30 days after speaking with them I wrote a demanding email and said I would file a complaint with the BBB if it wasn't resolved in a week. I received a response to please give them more time. So, I gave LegalShield 40 days to resolve the situation.

Now it's been several months and I heard anything. So, I have concluded that this is a scam and they do have care about the business reputation otherwise they would have resolved my situation within the 4 correspondences and several calls into them. All I got is that my refund is being reviewed. I now would all my money back now and not just my monthly charged after I cancelled! A bad experience travels 10 times further than doing the right thing. I will never recommend this company and now that I need the service I have gone elsewhere. I hope it was worth screwing over a consumer.

Factual basis uncertain

I've waited for a year to write this review hoping to give the company the opportunity to resolve the matter. Unfortunately as of this date there's been no satisfactory resolution. I was told by the provider firm to file for divorce in 2013. They referred me to a lawyer who took my retainer and yet refused to file. I requested another lawyer. The second lawyer took my money and refused to file. I went to the provider firm and requested they represent me in the divorce. They refused. I contacted the corporate office. The provider firm then assigned another attorney who was supposed to be an excellent attorney. He represented me for two months. He charged over $60,000.00. Yes you have it right. Over $60,000. Bullied and harassed me, didn't file for the divorce.

With the last monies I had I found a lawyer out of the Legalshield system who was able to get a partial resolution. Of course I didn't have the kind of money the "excellent" attorney charged. Did the lawyer provided incremental billing? No. He refused to represent me. Did not itemize his billing. He's on the ethics committee of the State so if I file a complaint I'm concerned it won't be fairly addressed. I'm at a loss of what to do. I've called the corporate office and they've said there is nothing they can do.

Yes LegalShield can be great for some people depending on the issue. I have no idea why in my case each Legalshield attorney the provider firm referred me to refused to move my case forward but yet took my money. I'm now out of money. The case is extremely complicated. The Legalshield concept is wonderful. But when you have a problem with a lawyer your issue can snowball and the organization doesn't have an effective way to protect its members from abusive or negligent lawyers.

Updated on 12/2/2016: I just called LegalShield about my experience and the fact that they disputed my claim on this site without contacting me. The representative was very kind, listened to my concerns and said she would elevate my concerns to upper management. She told me it was upper management that makes the determination as to what will appear on this site. As I shared with her it is important that people know what they are buying when they purchase a LegalShield membership.

I am still a member of LegalShield. I've been a member since 2011. The phone consultations have been helpful. The letters written on my behalf by the provider firm have been helpful. However when I've been are referred to another attorney outside of the provider firm the experience has evolved to a nightmare. Members need to know they are vulnerable. It doesn't appear that the organization can help members if an attorney they refer you to mistreats you. Now I am hopeful that this time LegalShield will listen to my concerns and will attempt to help me with the situation their referral attorneys have placed me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LegalShield?

Factual basis uncertain

I recently signed up for LegalShield through my employer and was promised legal advice/help in a timely manner. However, that was not to be the case. The first time I needed their advice in regards to DCF, they misinformed me and had it not been for another attorney I contacted (free consultation from the internet) things would have turned out very differently.

The 2nd time I needed them was an urgent affair yet they took over 6 hours to return my call. I called back within 10 seconds and was informed that even though I was within the "5 minute window" (no one had informed me of such a thing) to call back, the attorney was now busy and would return my call within 8 hours. I then called the emergency call center and was told that I was tying up the line... that there were people in jail and being arrested that were trying to call at that moment. They referred me back to the attorney and said I could not be assigned a different attorney. This service is a complete scam and I will be cancelling immediately.

Some weeks ago, my car was hit by other two cars. I called LegalShield and very fast I got in touch with a lawyer who answered all my questions and made herself available to help me in whatever I needed. It is really awesome and reassuring to know that I can count on excellent service of lawyers at any time. And more important with a team of very reliable professionals who work with love and qualified care.

I started out with a LegalShield small business membership and it has served me in so many ways: Getting out of an office lease I couldn't pay after having a serious accident with a head injury. Being overbilled for an ER visit (actually ended up with a refund from the hospital). Getting my will and trust done. Debt collection with my clients who wouldn't pay. Traffic court representation (getting my ticket reduced from 13 to 5 over) and not having to pay the attorney any extra fees for representing me. Incredible discounts on my cell phone, hotels and car rentals. I will never be without this invaluable service that has paid for itself over and over again.

Not too long ago I was served papers at my house stating that I owe $351 a month in child support. I thought it was funny because I am the custodial parent so I went down to the state with my son. They didn't seem to care. Went down the next day with his mother is still didn't seem to care. That's when I got LegalShield involved. After a handful of documents review and a few phone calls they were able to save my payments and see that I am the true custodial parent. I could only imagine if I didn't have LegalShield. At $351 a month over the course of many years they save me about $51,000. At $300 $400 an hour I could never afford a regular attorney. Thank you LegalShield.

I've had my membership with LegalShield (LS) for quite a few years now, but recently found a reason to take advantage of the outstanding service again! I was previously receiving an employee discount from my cell phone provider (the one whose main color is Yellow), and after doing an upgrade last year (2015) I was no longer receiving that discount (and I was never made aware). However, anytime I visited a store and had a transaction done, the printout always listed my discount as part of my bill itemization. Now like most people these days, I generally don't even look at my bill when it comes. I just pay it! After actually calling in one day to inquire about switching my employee discount, I was made aware that I in fact was not receiving any employee discount on my phone bill. I as a matter of fact had not been receiving that discount for an ENTIRE YEAR!

I made numerous calls to find out what could be done about that situation and how I would be reimbursed. Every call ended with "I'm sorry ma'am, there's nothing more we can do to help you. We apologize for the inconvenience." So, I decided to call my LS law firm! I explained the entire situation to the attorney and also sent them copies of my most recent bill, and the other documents showing that I was eligible for the discount. The attorney then wrote a letter to the cell phone provider on my behalf (at no extra charge!), and also mailed me a copy of the letter. Within a matter of days, the cell phone provider sent a letter back to the attorney stating that they could not discuss my acct info with them without my authorization, and attached a form for me to fill out to give them that permission.

My attorney contacted me and gave me the option to fill it out and send it back to them, or stay on the phone while they did a conference call with the cell phone provider (again at no extra charge). I opted for the latter option because it simply was easier and faster! Once the call was connected and the representative from the cell phone provider got on the line, the attorney introduced herself and announced that I was on the line. I was asked by the representative to verify my account with them, and I did so. From that point on the attorney spoke ENTIRELY on my behalf and I did not have to say another word! At the end of the call, the cell phone provider agreed to credit $457 back to my account to cover for the 1 yr that I did not receive my discount, AND 1 EXTRA YEAR IN ADVANCE!!! I was in total shock!!!

What shocked me more was when I hung up and actually got a series of text messages back to back stating that credits were being applied to my account! I couldn't believe it!! After I tried SO MANY times on my own to have the situation resolved by simply calling them on my own and pointing out the SAME thing that the attorney pointed out to them!!

After having my LS membership for all these years, I MUST say this is ONE situation where I can say that my belief in LS was truly solidified!! I don't know how anyone can live day to day without having this service! It's ONE IN A MILLION!! I never leave home without my LS card!! I also definitely don't see my future without LS in it!! With the amount of money that I was able to get credited back to my account, I would be able to pay for my LS membership for the next 2+ years!! That's DEFINITELY more than worth it!!! I HIGHLY recommend this service to everyone!! No one should ever have to live day by day depending on internet search engines to answer trivial and/or traumatic questions, when you can easily have access to an attorney as I did!!! Thank You LegalShield!!!

Carolyn,

We are sorry to hear about your experience. We would love the opportunity to look into this for you. May we reach out to you for some additional details?

LegalShield

Original review: Nov. 10, 2016

This is the second time I have trusted LegalSheild and they have let me down. Don't trust them with more than a parking ticket. Purchasing a condo in a tight real estate state like Hawaii is not easy. The attorney was polite and courteous did explain some of the challenges I was facing, as a new homeowner. I do not believe she was actually a real estate attorney or qualified to discuss my situation although she represented herself as such. Regarding the specific problem that needed to be addressed, the attorney asked me to supply some details so that she could write to the owner, which unfortunately was a conservatorship. I spent a considerable amount of time gathering the details she said she wanted.

The attorney then just dropped my case and decided not to contact a conservatorship for the problems I was experiencing. I believe it would've been beneficial if she had contacted the owners - the conservatorship - as it turned out they did not know about some of the problems we were experiencing with the realtor. Why she didn't write a letter as promised is beyond me! If your firm wanted extra charges she should've asked me, but dropping my case is not acceptable. I have serious doubts about LegalShield. This mistake or dropping off my case midstream cost me a considerable amount of money over $15,000.00 I would have and should have talked to a real Real Estate lawyer. LegalShield has done me a great disservice.

Factual basis uncertain

Legal Shield is a true Rip-Off! If you seek anything in legal representation beyond a simple will or an uncontested divorce, such as complicated civil defense case representation, DO NOT USE LEGAL SHIELD. They have a close affiliation with the law firm of Riggs, Abney, Neal, Turpen, Orbison and Lewis in Oklahoma City who they attempt to refer most of their members to. They in turn pay this law firm an annual retainer of $1,000,000 or more. You will not receive any personal or proper representation from this law firm and in addition, when you complain to Legal Shield, nothing is ever done to compensate the client who is footing the bill for Legal Shield but also Riggs, Abney, an overpriced an expensive but incompetent law firm.

We have the ID Shield Membership through LegalShield and found that our mailbox had been broken into on a Saturday morning. We had put envelopes in to be mailed and the mail person had not come to the house yet. Knowing that there was a check in one of the envelopes with all of our bank information, we were very concerned. Because the ID Shield has 24/7 access for emergencies, we were able to call in on that Saturday morning, consult with a identity theft specialist and had safety measures put in place to protect our bank account and other exposures we were not even aware of. It was great that we had someone that we could call without waiting for regular business hours, get advice and protection put in place and breathe easier.

Toby,

We are sorry to hear about your experience. We would love to look into the matter for you. May we reach out to you to gain some additional information, so we can investigate?

LegalShield

Original review: Oct. 26, 2016

I was unaware of the services LegalShield offered, and they didn't specify. Even after I explained my entire dilemma and situation, they still led me to believe they could help me through it all. The woman on the phone (Legalshield Representative-Mary) treated me as if she were holding my hand & going to help me through this terrible experience. She walked me through the payment process, & when the payment was made, she told me she'd call me right back, but she never did, nor did she answer my calls. They assigned me to an attorney that was rude, & didn't inform me about the exact services they offered & tricked me into sticking w/ them for 4 months. When the court date came to get my babies back, Legalshield was nowhere to be found, had offered no help or guidance, and I lost my case because I wasn't fully prepared & had spent quite a bit on Legalshield. I have to wait an entire year to go back to court to get my Children back.

The people that ripped them out of my life had illegally kept them away from me this whole time & treated 1 child badly. I struggle to wake up every single morning. If I had never called Legalshield, I would have actually found efficient representation in time to bring my children home. I could understand if I had deserved to lose them, but a father didn't want to pay child support so his family did whatever they could to bury me with false accusations that I could've fought against and won had I not called Legalshield. Google Search, or even a district attorney at a court house could assist you better at a direction in finding legal aid. Good luck and God bless.

I do voluntary benefits. I purchased a table from a third party vendor to attend one of their corporate health benefit fairs they were contracted to conduct a company. It ended up getting canceled and the owner of the fair company offered me credit or my entrance fee of $150 back. I opted for the later but a refund never came. I called and left several messages and many emails over the course of a couple of months but never got a response. I remembered I had a legal plan from LegalShield. So, I called the service, my attorney called me back within a day, I told him the situation, he wrote one two page letter on my behalf and I got my $150 back!!! Wow!

I went to write the vendor a bad review on yelp and apparently I was not the only who had difficulty getting money back because he had a ton of negative reviews complain of the same thing. Thank goodness I had the power of law firm to demand my money and enforce my rights or all I would be able to do is write a bad review because without my legal plan, I never would hire a $300 an hour attorney to try to collect on a $150 issue! I love LegalShield!

I never really used attorneys before having this $20/month service. I didn't even realize how many "legal" questions I had until I had access to getting them answered! Recently I used LegalShield to review a work-for-hire contract written by me and another party. Within two days, I received a response and spent almost an hour on the phone as the attorney asked me questions, explained his concerns, and made suggestions on how to rewrite the contract and clarify points that neither me and the other party would even dream of. After we made the changes, he reviewed the revised draft, made a few more (very strong) suggestions, and then the other party was unwilling to make those changes.

Well, based on the advice of the attorney, I did not move forward with that contractor, because we could not come to a legal agreement that was fair to BOTH of us. Those conversations with the attorney were priceless, as I learned a lot and I felt confident every step of the way knowing that I had an advocate who had my back. It just makes sense to call and ask for help when you need it, and now, I call all the time! I love my LegalShield membership and will NEVER be without it!

Recently I called the law firm to discuss my financial options for a particular situation. I was able to speak with one of the senior partners, who described in great detail and spoke with me for more than an hour. At the end of the call, I knew what my options were and felt a great peace of mind. And the best part, I didn't receive a bill in the mail!!!

While my husband and I were traveling out of state. We were pulled over and received a speeding ticket. We called our local LegalShield Law Firm through our LegalShield membership and spoke to an attorney. She said that she believed that in this particular state there were no points that would be issued as long as we filed the paperwork and paid the fine on time. Because she wasn't 100% positive, she said she would do some research and get back to us. I was guilty of speeding so we had no problem paying the fine but we didn't want any points on my record. I didn't want my insurance to go up. She called back later that day and said that after checking into it, if I filed the paperwork with the court and paid the fine, which I could do online, there would be no points on my record and our insurance would not be affected.

Here's the catch... if we hadn't known about filing the correct paperwork then we would have paid the fine and the points would not have been waived, raising our insurance rates for 3 years. Because of LegalShield we've saved hundreds of dollars in insurance. We won't be without this membership ever! We've saved so much more by using it than we've ever paid in premiums.

I would never be without this membership. I have used it several times for consultation, letter written on my behalf, lease agreement reviewed before I signed. I could go on. I love how knowledgeable the attorneys are and how quick they call back. Most recent experience: I'm closing my business and had questions about dissolving while having debt. The attorney told me exactly what to do. She also said that if I needed help filling out the state forms or if I needed any documents reviewed, to call back. Very helpful.

Contingency and affordable representation - LegalShield has been an asset for what it is worth but I am not sure it is valuable when you have multiple lawsuits. I thought the law firm assigned to me would take up the cases. However, I was referred to another attorney with a discount but no contingency something I need in my situation.

Factual basis uncertain

I am in need a divorce, as my wife and I haven't spoken or seen each other in 4 years this should not be a problem. I contacted LegalShield and discussed what they do and what I required. At the end of the conversation both parties had agreed and I joined. Having waited the 90 days and paid the required amount I was told the original agreement was not a doable situation, so I wasted $70 and 3 months only to cancel my membership and they have now taken an unauthorized payment that has not been refunded even though I requested it to be on Saturday and it's now Tuesday afternoon. DO NOT DEAL with these LIARS as you will pay for NOTHING.

Factual basis uncertain

Did not get proper guidance from the agent who sold me this policy at the time of buying it. After paying the membership for a year, I was turned down, when I needed help. They have fine prints in their contract that I did not pay attention. I am not an attorney but they are. Did not get proper support or help from any of their attorneys that I talked to. I am happy that I cancelled the service today.

LegalShield is a company like none other! Truly amazing! I grew up never using attorneys and not really knowing all the ways they could help when I don't have to think about the cost. My husband and I have been members for 6 years and we have used the service dozens of times. Our law firm has written letters on our behalf for various consumer issues, they have represented us in traffic court numerous times! I honestly will not be WITHOUT LegalShield! Great service, we recommend it to everyone! We have such peace of mind also that our attorneys are literally always a phone call away! Love the new app too!

Factual basis uncertain

They say you can have lawyer representation. Not so and they say you can have letters sent to the people or companies from a lawyer on your behalf to help remedy the issue. Also false and no talking to actual lawyer. Just some customer services person.

Factual basis uncertain

Provider services is supposed to support you with the provider firm and welcomes feedback. Mine was retaliated against by the rude office administrator at the firm and is removing my membership of 10 years. How secure can this company make you feel if they allow this without a fight?

Factual basis uncertain

Well to start off I just want people to get their own attorney if they can. And don't use this service. I got tricked by a credit card company name Coastal Pay. They lure you and trick you to get their service and use their machine. But never tell you it's a lease machine with an outrageous price of over $300 a month for so many years with no cancellation contract!!! So when found out we got lure I try to cancel them. Eventually had to change my bank account so they cannot take money every month. So they got an attorney and try to take us to court.

So that's when I got LegalShield. They couldn't help me here in CA because the lawsuit was in NY! So they gave me a firm in NY to help me with the case. After I contact that Parkburry stand place. They really suck. The thing they did for me was send out a negotiation letter and send one to my email. Never said anything about they need me to respond to them before they send out. So weeks went by and I got more letter for that leasing credit card company. I contacted them. They said "Oh we emailed you and you were supposed to answer us before it's a go" so I said "Ok send it." Even though I knew what I'm reading. It state clearly that if I have any question then reply! But whatever.

So anyway time went by. Now I got a summoning letter! Called them. They said "Oh the company didn't want to settle that amount." Now they tell me? I emailed them the summoning letter to take a look at. Because I don't see the date I have to appear in court. They said "Oh, if you want to. Contact the CA office. Then tell them you need a lawyer to go to court for you. They then give you someone here in NY to go. Since you are a member. You get 20-25% off." (I can't remember how much off.) I was like "Ok. I have a membership so your ass can take care of things! Not to get a discount!"

But any way, I contact another lawyer in NY and ask her the same question. She said there is no date because this is a complaint letter and I need to answer it before it goes to fault amount on me! If I want she can answer the letter for $400! She also said normally those people will stop there. They only get money if people don't answer the letter from court. But if it get worse then there will be extra charge. But we will see. "Wow" very clear on price and know what she's doing huh! Meanwhile LegalShield lawyer trying to scam me for a few thousand dollars "going to court". Please stay away from this service. I will cancel this service soon cause it's no use! Kinda like buying a cheap car insurance! Pay pay pay and things happen you pay pay pay more. Lol!

Factual basis uncertain

So after attending a tuesday meeting, I signed up with an associate. When I needed to speak with an attorney I called believing what the facilitator stated, "You and your household are covered". Only to be told that this is not true. Then to be told that if I needed representation I needed rep/defense hours. Wow right. Who knew paying for membership to speak to someone who is not the actual attorney is pretty much what you end up with. After 2 months, I called 9/14/16 to cancel and was told my request could not be done over the phone and would need to send a written request.

So I requested that an email from the cancellation department be sent to me. Well, I spent 57 mins on the phone being told, "The email confirmation was sent". I waited on the phone an additional 10 just to see if in fact my request was handled as requested... ERRR not. I spoke with a supervisor, then a manager who gave me his personal email. They both stated the email was sent for cancellation but yet I sent the manager an email and received it within 15 secs... A bunch of bs. Quick to take your money, but slow to cancel... Would hate to have to use this services ever in any legal manner.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs

Russ,

We are sorry to hear about your experience. We would like to look into situation for you. We will need a few additional details and permission to contact you. May we reach out to you?

LegalShield Member Services

Original review: Sept. 13, 2016

Paid for membership for 2 years. Had 2 chances to use in September 2016. First case they said it was too complicated and they couldn't help or advise. Second was a traffic ticket. Because our son hadn't changed his driver's license they said "oh he's not covered because the DL is not from your state". Going to drop them and eat the 2 year's worth of fees.

Daniel,

We are sorry to hear that you feel this way. We strive for complete satisfaction in each and every member experience. We would love the opportunity to look into any situation where you feel your membership did not meet your expectations. If you would, please provide us with your membership number and/or your preferred contact information and we will reach out right away!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2016

This service is a scam. They are happy to take your monthly membership fee but deliver nothing more than the name of a "provider" firm. The provider firms are lazy and in my case vocal about "you only get what you pay for." LS will sometimes respond to concerns with a sympathetic phone call but no real follow-up and no "guarantee" that you actually get anything from the provider firm. Don't waste your money on a LS membership.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs

Amanda,

We are sorry to hear about your experience. The complete satisfaction of our members is of the utmost priority to us. We will reach out right away to assist you in any way we can.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2016

So I signed up, right off the bat they put my name completely wrong on the account. Contacted them and it took a week for them to finally get back to me (after hassling them). Now, I mailed my will questionnaire over a week ago, emailed them asking if they received it, and it's been 3 days and still nothing from them. I'm so disgusted with this service.

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.) Company Profile

1972
Formerly Named:
Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.
1 Prepaid Way