2. Legal Services

LegalShield

formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.86/5

More than 4.1 million members have turned to LegalShield for advice on estate planning, consumer and credit protection, benefits disputes and auto and driving issues. LegalShield assists families, individuals, small businesses and human resources professionals with legal problems related to immigration, personal injury and financial concerns. LegalShield offers services in all 50 states and four Canadian provinces, and the company partners with law firms to answer legal questions and provide legal help.

BOTTOM LINE

LegalShield partners with law firms in the U.S. and Canada to offer assistance with everything from speeding tickets to court representation at an accessible price point.

PROS

• 24/7 emergency legal assistance
  • Serves individuals and businesses
  • Affordable legal plans

CONS

• Can’t pause services
  • Membership costs vary by region

Top LegalShield Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about LegalShield?

From day one had my husband's and my own wills done immediately saving us approx $1,500 as well as financial power of [attorneys]. I wish I had found this service years ago. Amazing service and amazing company.

I love my LegalShield Membership. I saved over thousands in just less than one year with the cost of my membership compared to the price I had to pay a lawyer for “one” car accident I was involved in … I only pay less than a $1 a day now for a lawyer to do that for me plus more [with LegalShield].

Get access to verified lawyers today

Ask for help 24/7 on JustAnswer

Get Started

Get access to verified lawyers today

Ask for help 24/7 on JustAnswer

Get Started

LegalShield membership

LegalShield provides regular access to legal teams in exchange for a monthly membership fee. The company offers unlimited legal advice within customers’ monthly membership plans, which lets clients call their law firm without worrying about going over a certain amount of time or number of calls.

During consultations, clients can get help starting legal documents, submitting traffic tickets or reviewing documents up to 15 pages. Tech-savvy clients who prefer to have legal assistance at the tip of their fingers benefit from LegalShield’s mobile app, which is available for Apple and Android phones. Members can also access emergency legal services through the app.

LegalShield services

• Real estate
    • Starting a business
    • Traffic violations and accidents
    • Trial defense

Unlike some competitors, LegalShield attorneys can defend and represent you in court, a service that is complimentary for members. While you’ll always work with the same law firm, you might not always work with the same attorney — each lawyer has their own area of expertise.

The membership also includes perks like 8% savings on eligible Verizon Wireless plans and 15% on Harry & David orders.

LegalShield plans

LegalShield offers several different plans catered to different needs. Pricing varies from state to state, but we gathered starting costs and features for LegalShield’s legal services in California to give you an idea at the fees and services you’ll be looking at:

LegalShield Personal Plan
    The LegalShield Personal plan starts at $24.95 a month and is designed for individuals and families looking for personal legal advice. The plan includes:
    • Unlimited consulting
    • Speeding ticket assistance
    • Unlimited contract review (up to 15 pages)
    • Will, living will & power of attorney
    • IRS audit legal services
    • Residential loan document assistance
    • Collections, warranties and guarantees
    Small Biz 10
    The Small Biz 10 plan was created for businesses with 10 or fewer employees looking for small business advice. The starting monthly cost is $39, which includes:
    • Legal consultations
    • 20 attorney calls and letters per year
    • 20 contract/document legal reviews per year
    • Five debt collection letters per month
    • Designated business consultations
    Commercial Drivers Legal Plan
    The Commercial Drivers Legal Plan starts at $32.95 a month. It’s designed for licensed commercial drivers looking for representation and coverage. The plan includes:
    • Coverage for member and spouse
    • Traffic accident representation
    • Moving violations defense
    • Defense of non-moving violations
    IDShield Individual
    The IDShield Individual plan helps individuals and families looking for identity theft protection. The plan starts at $12.95 a month and includes:
    • One-bureau credit monitoring and alerts
    • Unlimited consulting
    • $1 million in identity theft insurance
    • 12-month credit score tracking history
    • 24/7 access to customer support

The Small Biz 10, Commercial Drivers and IDShield plans offer additional tiers for clients in need of larger packages and services.

LegalShield pricing

LegalShield offers four monthly membership plans that start at $24.95, and additional add-ons start at $9.95. On average, an independent attorney charges $150 to $400 an hour, meaning partnering with LegalShield could be a big money saver.

All of the company’s plans include unlimited consultations, trial defense services and document reviews. Add-ons like a trial defense supplement, home business supplement or gun owner’s supplement are also available.

LegalShield FAQ

How do I cancel my LegalShield subscription?
    Members can cancel their LegalShield subscription at any time and receive a refund for any unused portion of their membership. There are three ways to cancel: call customer support, email customer support or send a written letter.
    Will LegalShield hold up in court?
    Yes. LegalShield works with bar-certified, independent law firms in the U.S. and Canada. The company has more than 900 attorneys in its network who assist with multiple legal matters, including trademarks, patents and copyrights.
    Does LegalShield cover criminal cases?
    Yes, LegalShield’s legal plans cover members and their spouses in trial defense cases, and the company can assist with most cases in criminal law.

Is LegalShield worth it?

LegalShield is worth it if you frequently need to consult an attorney and are looking for a budget-friendly option. We recommend the company for individuals, families, small businesses and HR professionals who have a monthly need for legal assistance. LegalShield doesn’t offer the option to pause subscriptions, so clients pay for the month regardless of whether they use the services. If you, your family, or small business require the help of an attorney on a consistent basis, then LegalShield is an affordable choice.

LegalShield Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LegalShield?

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

On one occasion I had co-signed for a Credit Card for my God Child and her husband's business. We had a falling out and they started to use the business credit card to buy personal items including a $17,000 truck for the husband to drive around in after he crashed the business truck. They stopped paying the Credit card bill and at $28,000.00 it went into default and they came after me. I called my LegalShield law firm Merritt Webb in South Carolina and after explaining everything they wrote a letter to the credit card company stating I would be happy to pay them back after they sent me all the signed receipts that had been charged on the account. I

had never made a single purchase with this car only purchases made had been either my God child or her husband. Since the letter was received I have heard nothing from the credit card company and have not had any negative reports filed on my credit report. Getting my LegalShield lawyer involved got me out of a $28,000 debt that wasn't mine. Thank you Merritt Webb and LegalShield all for $19.95 a month.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

We recently found out that we had over-paid on our property taxes and, when we called the L.A. County Tax Collectors office, they looked up our file and agreed that we had overpaid. However, because we didn't bring it to their attention within a specific time period, they told us that we lost our right to a refund. BASICALLY, THEY SAID THAT IT WAS OUR MONEY, BUT ON A TECHNICALITY, THEY WERE KEEPING IT! Talk about frustrating!!!

So we called our LegalShield provider law firm and they promptly assigned a real estate attorney to assist us. After consulting with him, he wrote a scary demand letter to the tax collectors office which gave the appearance that we had hired, AT GREAT EXPENSE, one of the biggest, baddest law firms in the state to get justice. (And we didn't even have to pay for the stamp that went on the envelope!!) A few weeks later, we received in the mail a check from the county for over $3,900! That one letter alone paid for our LegalShield membership for over 10 years. THANK YOU LEGAL SHIELD!

Get buying tips about Legal Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 25, 2020

I bought a Groupon for window washing in the Fall. On the day of my appointment, it was raining and the window washing company called to tell me they couldn't clean my windows because it was raining. I said, "no problem, I'll make another appointment". The guy said, "Sorry Ma'am. We aren't taking appointments until Spring," I said okay, that's fine.

I started calling to make an appointment in March because it takes several months to get an appointment. I called both the business and cell numbers and left voice mails. I had recently joined LegalShield and decided to see if it really worked. I called my law firm to complain that I hadn't been called back for an appointment and that I thought that the window washing company was going to keep my money. The Attorney had me send him the Groupon and contact information about the window washing company.

I received my letter from the Attorney, it was very firm and professional; I was very pleased. About an hour later the window washing company called because they had just received their letter. The owner was upset and apologizing for not calling me back. He said they hadn't been opened until 2 weeks ago. I asked, "why didn't you call me in the 2 weeks you were opened? I had left several voicemails and got nobody called back." He just kept apologizing and gave me an appointment. The owner himself came to wash my windows and was extremely nice and washed doors as well. I don't believe that I would have gotten serviced if it hadn't been for my LegalShield plan. Thank you LegalShield and Maguire, Schneider, Hassey.

Original review: May 17, 2020

Two Powerful Attorney Letter Testimonies:

Attorney Letter #1 - On a trip back home from Las Vegas, Delta airlines damaged my wife’s luggage (numerous tears & and a missing wheel) and broke my wife’s blowdryer. When we spoke to Delta customer service, they said their policy is not to replace damaged baggage. We had our provider law firm draft an attorney letter and faxed it to Delta Airlines’ legal counsel. Within a week, we received two separate checks in the mail: one for $50 for my wife’s broken blowdryer and another for $75 to replace my wife’s damaged luggage.

Attorney Letter #2 - We bought a Magic Chef refrigerator for one of our rental properties that had a compressor that died 8 months after purchasing it from Home Depot. Home Depot & Magic Chef denied responsibility, stating we did not purchase their extended warranty. We contacted our provider law firm, who drafted and sent an attorney letter to both Magic Chef & Home Depot, requesting reimbursement for refrigerator and our tenant’s spoiled food as result of the faulty compressor. 6 weeks later, we received two checks in the mail: one for $308.12 to replace refrigerator and another check for $60 to reimburse our tenant for spoiled food.

It’s amazing how corporate policies become simple misunderstandings with reimbursement checks attached, simply by sending attorney letters, which didn’t cost us a penny more than our $24 monthly subscription! Thank you LegalShield!!

Original review: May 16, 2020

Soooo much peace of mind comes with having a LegalShield membership. Just last week I was able to call in to ask a question in reference to an insurance situation AND send in some documents to be reviewed to ensure that everything was within my best interest before signing. Before having LegalShield I would have stressed over the insurance situation, spent hours on Google researching, I would have proceeded or I wouldn't have (but either way, I would have done so reluctantly and assuredly) and I would have signed the document without fully understanding it?

Without LegalShield, these 2 occurrences that happened in 1 week would have cost me hundreds and hundreds of dollars and more stress than I like to carry! With LegalShield, I don't have to carry stress, I can just carry on with my life! Now...let's talk about the speeding ticket that they helped me fight the end of 2019, or the Will & Healthcare POA that I had updated earlier this year... I'm just so thankful for this plan! This type of coverage and membership just ROCKS!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2020

I will never be without this service! The law firm has helped my family to save thousands of dollars over the last 15 years. Having an app to reach a lawyer 24/7/365 for emergencies is great peace of mind. This service can be used in every state, so no matter where you are in the U.S. they can help you. The member perks are awesome too. We also use the IDShield service. They can be reached 24/7/365 too if our identity is stolen.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2020

Their customer service rep Sarah said she would call me back the same day, on Sep 30, 2020, but she never did. The other staff on Oct 2, 2020 took my registration info, including credit card information, but failed to sign me up, failed to email me receipt and registration information. The supervisor who knew their staffs making mistakes said Legal Shield will not offer any discount for any circumstances, which is very disappointing. In my opinion, a company who does not pay the cost of its mistake is not really a responsible company.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

Every single time I called my law firm I was told that my question wasn’t covered and they couldn’t help me. Sometimes they referred me out to non-LegalShield firms, one of whom was appallingly rude to me and the other one appeared to be intoxicated. This program is a scam and only a select few, with the most basic questions that one could get answered on Google, qualify for any real help. I am furious with how I was treated.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

I had a membership for all of an hour, realized it was useless (no pre-existing issues are covered which is conveniently not mentioned anywhere during signup) and IMMEDIATELY cancelled. I called to confirm that I'd get a full refund which the company said I would but that it could take up to 15 business days (an absurd amount of time as it takes a fraction of a second for the money to leave my bank account to them). After 15 business days I called, it took some time to confirm that I was even due a refund and I was told "We're working on it and that it can take up to 60 days." When I said I was told it can take UP TO 15 business days I was told, "Well it usually does but it can take longer, I have no guess when it will be processed." What a disgusting company to make someone jump through hoops and wait months to get a refund for a service they never used.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2020

A friend of mine talked me into signing up with them, had a legal problem. The attorney provided very little help, most of her replies were, "I'm not allowed to answer that question, or help you with the process." What good is paying for a service, that gives you zero help? It's better to spend your money with a real attorney, than with these people.

LegalShield Company Information

1972
      Formerly Named:
      Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.
      1 Prepaid Way