Find a Legal Services partner

Help me decide
  2. Legal Services

LegalShield

formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.

3.6/5 (186 ratings)
Find a Legal Services partner

Get access to verified lawyers today

Ask for help 24/7 on JustAnswer

Get Started

About LegalShield

More than 4.1 million members have turned to LegalShield for advice on estate planning, consumer and credit protection, benefits disputes and auto and driving issues. LegalShield assists families, individuals, small businesses and human resources professionals with legal problems related to immigration, personal injury and financial concerns. LegalShield offers services in all 50 states and four Canadian provinces, and the company partners with law firms to answer legal questions and provide legal help.

Pros

• 24/7 emergency legal assistance
  • Serves individuals and businesses
  • Affordable legal plans

Cons

• Can’t pause services
  • Membership costs vary by region

Bottom Line

LegalShield partners with law firms in the U.S. and Canada to offer assistance with everything from speeding tickets to court representation at an accessible price point.

Top LegalShield Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

From day one had my husband's and my own wills done immediately saving us approx $1,500 as well as financial power of [attorneys]. I wish I had found this service years ago. Amazi...

Verified

I love my LegalShield Membership. I saved over thousands in just less than one year with the cost of my membership compared to the price I had to pay a lawyer for “one” car accide...

Get access to verified lawyers today

Ask for help 24/7 on JustAnswer

Get Started

LegalShield membership

LegalShield provides regular access to legal teams in exchange for a monthly membership fee. The company offers unlimited legal advice within customers’ monthly membership plans, which lets clients call their law firm without worrying about going over a certain amount of time or number of calls.

During consultations, clients can get help starting legal documents, submitting traffic tickets or reviewing documents up to 15 pages. Tech-savvy clients who prefer to have legal assistance at the tip of their fingers benefit from LegalShield’s mobile app, which is available for Apple and Android phones. Members can also access emergency legal services through the app.

LegalShield services

• Real estate
  • Starting a business
  • Traffic violations and accidents
  • Trial defense

Unlike some competitors, LegalShield attorneys can defend and represent you in court, a service that is complimentary for members. While you’ll always work with the same law firm, you might not always work with the same attorney — each lawyer has their own area of expertise.

The membership also includes perks like 8% savings on eligible Verizon Wireless plans and 15% on Harry & David orders.

LegalShield plans

LegalShield offers several different plans catered to different needs. Pricing varies from state to state, but we gathered starting costs and features for LegalShield’s legal services in Oklahoma to give you an idea at the fees and services you’ll be looking at:

Personal Legal Plan
The LegalShield Personal plan starts at $24.95 a month and is designed for individuals and families looking for personal legal advice. The plan includes:
  • Unlimited consulting
  • Speeding ticket assistance
  • Unlimited contract review (up to 15 pages)
  • Will, living will and power of attorney
  • Uncontested adoption representation
  • IRS audit legal services
  • Residential loan document assistance
  • Collections, warranties and guarantees
Small Business Legal Plan
The Small Business Essentials Plan connects your business with a provider law firm to help with a variety of issues, including advice, consultation and research, collection letters, document review and flat-fee services. The company has three different plans:

The plans mostly differ by how often the services can be used. For instance, the Small Business Legal Essentials includes 10 document reviews per year for documents up up to 15 pages, while Small Business Legal Pro includes 40 document reviews per year for documents up to 25 pages. the Plus and Pro level plans also include flat-fee services, IRS audit legal services and interstate services, which are not included in the Essentials plan.

• Small Business Legal Essentials costs $49 each month.
  • Small Business Legal Plus costs $99 per month.
  • Small Business Legal Pro costs $169 each month.
Commercial Drivers Legal Plan
The Commercial Drivers Legal Plan starts at $32.95 a month. It’s designed for licensed commercial drivers looking for representation and coverage. The plan includes:
  • Coverage for member and spouse
  • Traffic accident representation
  • Moving violations defense
  • Defense of non-moving violations
Identity Theft Plan
The IDShield Individual plan helps individuals, families and businesses looking for identity theft protection. The company offers six different plans:
  • IDShield Individual ($13.95/month) covers a single individual includes credit monitoring and alerts from one credit bureau, unlimited consulting, $1 million identity theft protection coverage, 12-month credit score tracking history and 24/7 access to customer support.
  • IDShield Three-Bureau Individual ($17.95) includes the same features as IDShield Individual but includes credit monitoring and alerts from all three bureaus.
  • IDShield Family ($26.95) has the same protection as IDShield Individual but add coverage for your spouse or domestic partner and up to 10 minors.
  • IDShield Three-Bureau Family ($32.95) offers the same features of IDShield Family but monitors credit and sends alert from all three credit bureaus.
  • IDShield for Business Essentials ($79.95/month) includes a vulnerability scan, remote technical assistance, emergency help line response and a $100,000 cyberprotection plan. It protects up to six URLs and/or public IP addresses.
  • IDShield for Business Plus ($149.95/month) includes the same protection as IDShield for Business Essentials but covers up to 12 URLs and/or public IP addresses.

LegalShield pricing

Personal legal plans start at $24.95 a month, and additional add-ons start at $12.95 a month. Plans for small businesses start at $49 a month, commercial driver plans start at $32.95 a month and identity theft plans start at $13.95 a month. On average, an independent attorney charges $150 to $400 an hour, meaning partnering with LegalShield could be a big money saver.

The company offers several plan tiers, so be sure to consider how often you might need services and what services you're likely to require to ensure you choose the right plan for you.

LegalShield FAQ

How do I cancel my LegalShield subscription?
Members can cancel their LegalShield subscription at any time and receive a refund for any unused portion of their membership. There are three ways to cancel: call customer support, email customer support or send a written letter.
Will LegalShield hold up in court?
Yes. LegalShield works with bar-certified, independent law firms in the U.S. and Canada. The company has more than 900 attorneys in its network who assist with multiple legal matters, including trademarks, patents and copyrights.
Does LegalShield cover criminal cases?
Yes, LegalShield’s legal plans cover members and their spouses in trial defense cases, and the company can assist with most cases in criminal law.

Is LegalShield worth it?

LegalShield is worth it if you frequently need to consult an attorney and are looking for a budget-friendly option. We recommend the company for individuals, families, small businesses and HR professionals who have a monthly need for legal assistance. LegalShield doesn’t offer the option to pause subscriptions, so clients pay for the month regardless of whether they use the services. If you, your family, or small business require the help of an attorney on a consistent basis, then LegalShield is an affordable choice.

LegalShield Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LegalShield?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

I was in a situation where my family attorney couldn’t help me fast enough. A friend referred me to LS, and they saved me from being taken advantage of by an insurance company. My family and my company have saved THOUSANDS of dollars by calling Legalshield to help us know what we should or shouldn’t do, etc. Where my phone goes, my law firm goes. This service can’t be beat. I don’t always get the answer I want to hear, but I’m thankful it didn’t cost me an arm and a leg to find out. Thank you legalshield!

LegalShield response

You are welcome! Thank you for sharing your valuable experience with us. We are so pleased to hear you are using your membership and benefits for your legal needs.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2020

Been member for over 13 years, Learned a lot from this membership, save me many time money and time, It's great with traffic tickets, I got traffic ticket and fax them my ticket, they took care for online school and they guarantee no any point in my driving record, also they present me in the court, they contact me after 4 weeks with big, "Congratulation your ticket been dismiss," I did absolutely nothing other than faxing my ticket to LegalShield. They did 15 page documents review and advice me for my right with zero cost, Unlimited attorney access for any legal matters. They never late with response. What worth when you feel there is power full Legal Office standing for you in your bad days?

Hello Qutayba,

Thank you so much for a great review! We love to hear that our law firms are providing exceptional service, such as this! We appreciate you for taking the time to submit a positive review. Thank you!

Get buying tips about Legal Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2020

I will never be without this service! The law firm has helped my family to save thousands of dollars over the last 15 years. Having an app to reach a lawyer 24/7/365 for emergencies is great peace of mind. This service can be used in every state, so no matter where you are in the U.S. they can help you. The member perks are awesome too. We also use the IDShield service. They can be reached 24/7/365 too if our identity is stolen.

Hello Sue,

Thank you so much for the great review! We appreciate your time and enjoy reading success stories just like this one! We are so glad to hear you are also a member of IDShield! Thank you for the feedback!

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

I used Legalshield for about 4 months and was disappointed to say the least. Their responsiveness was very slow and often you get bounced around to different legal providers and the follow up is poor. When I tried to cancel my services, they gave me the run around as well which was not shocking. You can't cancel online, so I've spent several days trying to get ahold of someone on the phone to cancel. I am so frustrated that I'm to the point of just reporting it as fraud to my credit company. Don't waste your money!

LegalShield response

The legal system requires every law firm to perform a conflict check. Ethically a law firm cannot represent a client if they have previously represented the adverse party. Unlike other subscription services like Spotify and Netflix, LegalShield requires cancellation requests to be submitted in writing. We must ensure that the person requesting cancellation is authorized to do so. We do this to protect members as upcoming legal situations can cause individuals in the same household (and on the same membership) to take actions that may not be in the best interest of everyone involved.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 4, 2021

I joined Legal Shield last year and only decided to use the service In August. My issue involved appealing a denial of public record request in Idaho. I was out in contact with my provider law firm Kival & Howard out of Portland. The experience was unpleasant to say the least when speaking to the legal shield intake. Specialist at the law firm I was insulted the person lacked professionalism and had a very poor attitude he only listens to a quarter of my statement and when I asked him to read back what he took down he let slip the derogatory remark he wrote down about me

Also when someone says continuous A hum before you even say two words it signals A genuine indifference. I filed a complaint against this person but was never satisfied and never got word of the resolution in-fact I am certain he is still there handling calls. Complaints on the web show this person never is properly disciplined because he is always there to make someone else feel small later on. Beside this insult the provider law said they Would need a cash deposit of 3-5 grand to file some paperwork for my records inquest denial. It only cost 100 bucks to file this document with the court clerk…I asked about the legal shield membership discount and was told that the 3-5 grand was with 25% membership discount. I also had the 35.00 a month membership. Fast forward I decide to cancel the service cause it don’t provide any real benefits to me and my experience was lack luster.

I am told I have to send a letter to the main office or send email requesting cancellation Or fax my cancellation notice with information proving who I am…K seems simple enough to send email so I sent an email telling I want to cancel and email comes back undeliverable due to domain does not exist thinking I could have made mistake I contacted members services. For the second time to confirm the correct spelling of the support@legalsheildcorp.com address I sent another email to cancel and it came back again undeliverable.

It’s at that time it became simple to see that there is no legitimate email cancellation option. And the company is very good at making in so arduous to cancel the service. You may have to actually sue them to do so….Anyhow be smart, study law and go to the court clerk yourself, save money and avoid a service that is better at taking money more reliably That it can provide a beneficial service to anyone. Thanks and don’t get worked over

LegalShield response

This is a really important point about LegalShield. LegalShield manages our member's subscriptions to our legal and IDShield plans. Our network of provider law firms administers the legal plan benefits to legal plan members. While we do not play a role in the administering of legal services, we do hold our provider law firms accountable to service level agreements (SLA’s) that are mutually agreed upon by LegalShield and the provider law firms. We provide our members with resources to let us know if their provider law firm is not meeting those SLAs and will work to remediate any issues related to those SLA’s. Thank you for this important feedback.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

It's so funny that this service can call themselves LegalShield and be doing nothing but stealing folks money. They promise a few different service items and after months and months of paying for the service they refuse to provide the service and they just refer you to pay a lawyer several hundred dollars per hour after the discount to actually think about helping you with your issue. And when you sign up they tell you they will issue a refund if you're not satisfied but they will only give you pennies if anything at all for the remaining days of the month.

It is absolutely disgusting that these people are lurking to kick you when you're down. After all you already have a legal matter you desperately need help on and they take that desperation as an opportunity to steal money from you. It's sick. They will only let you talk to a person on the phone once a month. As it turns out the person they let you speak to for legal advice is not even a lawyer. They are supposed to provide a demand letter. They won't do that. They are supposed to review documents. They won't do it. Just look for a lawyer you can afford if you really need one because this service is a complete joke.

LegalShield response

The legal system requires every law firm to perform a conflict check. Ethically a law firm cannot represent a client if they have previously represented the adverse party. Therefore a referral is made for the member. Our service provides a covered contract of benefits and a discount for other matters. Thank you.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

I have been a member of Legal Shield since 2005 (over 15 years). I was an executive director for the company that used Parker Stanbury as their primary law firm. I ran one of 2 business briefings in all of San Diego promoting Legal Shield. I say all that to say I've been here longer than most of the attorneys on staff. I have had very good experiences with Parker Stanbury (provider firm in California) but as soon as Harland Stoncipher passed away (2014) and Legal shield was sold (2018), the customer service has been absolutely horrible. It's not worth the money or the headache. I urge everyone to cancel their membership until Parker Stanbury is fired. I've complained over and over about them and Legal Shield does nothing but apologizes. Legal Shield has become as bad as Parker Stanbury. They quite literally don't care and no remedies ever happen.

I finally just canceled my membership. I have had issue after issue with Parker Stanbury. They are the most arrogant and uppity law firm I've ever dealt with. Absolutely rude and condescending! I've had attorneys hang up on me. I've had to argue with emotional and irrational attorneys trying to give me their subjective opinion when what I was asking for is what the law actually says. I've had many lazy attorneys I could tell were completely guessing. It goes on and on with how many bad experiences I've had with Parker Stanbury. This is the last law firm I'd trust with anything important. Their work ethic and integrity are questionable at best. They don't care about their clients and treat us like we are bothering them (as you can tell by many of the reviews they receive).

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

I have been a LegalShield client for over 5 years. In the past I have not had any issues with attorneys calling me back within 24 hours. I had to have them make a change in my will that I had them do. Who is a minor change of the name of a beneficiary on one page of 1 document. Literally less than five minutes' worth of work. I have had to call them three times over the past week after not receiving any response whatsoever from them. This is totally unacceptable in a digital age. I am going to cancel my service with them and go with one of their competitors. I recommend that you DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY, AND look at alternatives to LegalShield.

Hello Alan,

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

Big scam. They employ 5th rate lawyers that can’t pull their pull their weight and are useless. They can’t write a simple letter and do nothing but refer you to a private lawyer after giving you useless advice. After I complained they promised to refund 6 months of their useless service and I only got 3. Liars. AVOID THIS OUTFIT AT ALL COSTS AND SEEK A LEGIT AND HONEST COMPANY INSTEAD OF GETTING RIPPED OFF BY THESE USELESS LIARS.

Hello Larry,

The legal system requires every law firm to perform a conflict check. Ethically a law firm cannot represent a client if they have previously represented the adverse party. Therefore a referral is made. This is a really important point about LegalShield. LegalShield manages our member's subscriptions to our legal and IDShield plans. Our network of provider law firms administers the legal plan benefits to legal plan members. While we do not play a role in the administering of legal services, we do hold our provider law firms accountable to service level agreements (SLA’s) that are mutually agreed upon by LegalShield and the provider law firms. We provide our members with resources to let us know if their provider law firm is not meeting those SLA’s and will work to remediate any issues related to those SLA’s.We hate to hear you were not satisfied with your membership. Thanks!

Original review: July 19, 2021

They often don't have answers to your questions, so they refer you to outside lawyers, that do not give free legal advice, despite telling your plan will still be honored. Many of the lawyers are lazy, and will do anything to avoid answering your questions, or doing the hour of research. (Keep in mind, an hour of research by a lawyer, is worth a lot more than an hour of research by a layman, because they're already supposed to have some idea of what they're doing.)

I've also had lawyers give me conflicting advice. For example, I was kicked out of a restaurant for having a service dog. I recorded the incident. Police threatened to arrest me, despite the fact that I was recording in a public place. I called for advice on the recording, separately from calling for advice on the service dog. The lawyer for the recording said it was perfectly legal (though he was unable to state the statue or case law to back it up). The lawyer for the service dog incident told me my recording was illegal. I had to explain one their other lawyers had already told me my recording was legit. Note, I now have the statute and case law proving it's legal to record someone in a public place, though, no thanks to LegalShield. You'd be surprised how many of their attorneys have given me outright false advice just because they're incompetent or lazy.

In another instance, they asked me how many pages one of my documents was, before I sent it. After hearing it was 18 pages, they refused to review it, because that placed it three pages over the 15 page limit. I was annoyed, but I didn't argue the matter, because the lawyer was technically right. Where he crossed the line was in asking me to give him a five star review, after just telling me he wasn't going to do anything for me. Good customer service isn't nitpicking at the trivial. It would have taken him, maybe, a full extra minute to review the extra three pages.

I also had court matter I paid for using the 25% discount. At the time I paid, I was told my fee covered the case itself. Before my first court date, the original lawyer had left the firm, so they simply swapped in a new one to argue the previous one's motions. The whole point of paying for a lawyer is that you have someone dedicated to your case. Further, the new lawyer told me the $1,150 I paid only covered the one motion, despite me being told that was total for the case. That's a lot of money from someone subsisting off a disability check. So not only have these people never helped me, they used me.

LegalShield response

Hello Logan, thank you for providing us with feedback. We appreciate hearing from our members, although we’re sorry that your experience appears to have been unsatisfactory. LegalShield aims to provide the best customer service possible, and for our attorneys to provide members with the most successful outcome for their legal matters while adhering to the benefits provided with the membership. We hope you will take just a moment to submit your feedback to LegalShield Customer Care by submitting a service concern form at https://legalshield.typeform.com/to/pSnMnF. Thank you again for bringing your concerns to our attention.

Original review: July 1, 2021

I joined this company to get simple legal advice for a monthly fee. When I contacted them, they would assign a junior associate or similar to me and the information provided is no better than Google. After repeated failures on their part, I decided to cancel and have been charged 6 times in 2 months after they confirmed my cancellation. Every time I call and spend 2 hours of my valuable time, I keep getting the run around and they ask for this and that which I already provided in writing which they confirmed receipt claiming it would be processed in 24-48 hours. Their customer service is simply a Ponzi scheme sales team that tries to keep you hooked and use tactics like delays and other new requirements. Beware of joining such an organization especially looking for legal advice which is basic and rudimentary you could get for free from any student.

LegalShield response

Hello Steve, Thank you for providing us with feedback. We appreciate hearing from our members, although we’re sorry that your experience appears to have been unsatisfactory. LegalShield aims to provide the best customer service possible, and for our attorneys to provide members with the most successful outcome for their legal matters while adhering to the benefits provided with the membership. Please send your cancellation request along with a possible refund request to MemberServices@legalshieldcorp.com, our team is happy to assist you properly. Thank you.

Original review: June 25, 2021

In addition to not being able to assist me with the completion (or even giving legal advice on how to fill out) Application for Form N600....OR being able to give me sufficient advice about an upcoming DV trial that I am a victim in...AND understanding that I cancelled their service 1 month after signing up (May), because they ADMITTED THEY COULDN'T HELP ME - they have charged me for TWO MONTHS in advance for June 2021.... GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK! YOUR SERVICE IS WORTHLESS TO ME! I hired you for 2 things, you admitted you couldn't help, I CANCELLED... WHY ARE YOU STILL CHARGING ME!!!?

Hello Penelope,

We apologize for your experience and would love to assist you properly with the cancellation of your account. Please make sure to send your request to MemberServices@legalshieldcorp.com, along with a request for a refund for review. We appreciate you and your time and look forward to assisting you. Thank you!

Original review: June 24, 2021

I signed up and paid for my membership and I get an email telling that they elected not to give me membership and that it's the company's option. They stated they are going to refund my money. Don't waste your time with them. They have never been the same when they used to be prepaid legal. LegalShield s*cks. If I could give them zero stars I would. They are picking and choosing who they think deserves to have affordable representation. They are very discriminatory and they should go out of business.

Hello Andrea,

We sincerely apologize for your experience as this is not something we have been made aware of. LegalShield aims to offer legal services to all individuals and businesses alike. We do not discriminate against any race, gender, or orientation. We encourage you to contact our Customer Care team at 800-654-7757 between 7-7 CST Monday-Friday to discuss our plans and how to sign up, should you still be interested. We appreciate you and your time, thank you.

LegalShield Company Information

1972
    Formerly Named:
    Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.
    1 Prepaid Way