Find a Legal Services partner

Help me decide

LegalShield

formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.

3.1/5 (186 ratings)
Find a Legal Services partner

Get access to verified lawyers today

Ask for help 24/7 on JustAnswer

Get Started

About LegalShield

More than 4.1 million members have turned to LegalShield for advice on estate planning, consumer and credit protection, benefits disputes and auto and driving issues. LegalShield assists families, individuals, small businesses and human resources professionals with legal problems related to immigration, personal injury and financial concerns. LegalShield offers services in all 50 states and four Canadian provinces, and the company partners with law firms to answer legal questions and provide legal help.

Pros

• 24/7 emergency legal assistance
  • Serves individuals and businesses
  • Affordable legal plans

Cons

• Can’t pause services
  • Membership costs vary by region

Bottom Line

LegalShield partners with law firms in the U.S. and Canada to offer assistance with everything from speeding tickets to court representation at an accessible price point.

Top LegalShield Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

From day one had my husband's and my own wills done immediately saving us approx $1,500 as well as financial power of [attorneys]. I wish I had found this service years ago. Amazi...

Verified

I love my LegalShield Membership. I saved over thousands in just less than one year with the cost of my membership compared to the price I had to pay a lawyer for “one” car accide...

Get access to verified lawyers today

Ask for help 24/7 on JustAnswer

Get Started

LegalShield membership

LegalShield provides regular access to legal teams in exchange for a monthly membership fee. The company offers unlimited legal advice within customers’ monthly membership plans, which lets clients call their law firm without worrying about going over a certain amount of time or number of calls.

During consultations, clients can get help starting legal documents, submitting traffic tickets or reviewing documents up to 15 pages. Tech-savvy clients who prefer to have legal assistance at the tip of their fingers benefit from LegalShield’s mobile app, which is available for Apple and Android phones. Members can also access emergency legal services through the app.

LegalShield services

• Real estate
  • Starting a business
  • Traffic violations and accidents
  • Trial defense

Unlike some competitors, LegalShield attorneys can defend and represent you in court, a service that is complimentary for members. While you’ll always work with the same law firm, you might not always work with the same attorney — each lawyer has their own area of expertise.

The membership also includes perks like 8% savings on eligible Verizon Wireless plans and 15% on Harry & David orders.

LegalShield plans

LegalShield offers several different plans catered to different needs. Pricing varies from state to state, but we gathered starting costs and features for LegalShield’s legal services in Oklahoma to give you an idea at the fees and services you’ll be looking at:

Personal Legal Plan
The LegalShield Personal plan starts at $24.95 a month and is designed for individuals and families looking for personal legal advice. The plan includes:
  • Unlimited consulting
  • Speeding ticket assistance
  • Unlimited contract review (up to 15 pages)
  • Will, living will and power of attorney
  • Uncontested adoption representation
  • IRS audit legal services
  • Residential loan document assistance
  • Collections, warranties and guarantees
Small Business Legal Plan
The Small Business Essentials Plan connects your business with a provider law firm to help with a variety of issues, including advice, consultation and research, collection letters, document review and flat-fee services. The company has three different plans:

The plans mostly differ by how often the services can be used. For instance, the Small Business Legal Essentials includes 10 document reviews per year for documents up up to 15 pages, while Small Business Legal Pro includes 40 document reviews per year for documents up to 25 pages. the Plus and Pro level plans also include flat-fee services, IRS audit legal services and interstate services, which are not included in the Essentials plan.

• Small Business Legal Essentials costs $49 each month.
  • Small Business Legal Plus costs $99 per month.
  • Small Business Legal Pro costs $169 each month.
Commercial Drivers Legal Plan
The Commercial Drivers Legal Plan starts at $32.95 a month. It’s designed for licensed commercial drivers looking for representation and coverage. The plan includes:
  • Coverage for member and spouse
  • Traffic accident representation
  • Moving violations defense
  • Defense of non-moving violations
Identity Theft Plan
The IDShield Individual plan helps individuals, families and businesses looking for identity theft protection. The company offers six different plans:
  • IDShield Individual ($13.95/month) covers a single individual includes credit monitoring and alerts from one credit bureau, unlimited consulting, $1 million identity theft protection coverage, 12-month credit score tracking history and 24/7 access to customer support.
  • IDShield Three-Bureau Individual ($17.95) includes the same features as IDShield Individual but includes credit monitoring and alerts from all three bureaus.
  • IDShield Family ($26.95) has the same protection as IDShield Individual but add coverage for your spouse or domestic partner and up to 10 minors.
  • IDShield Three-Bureau Family ($32.95) offers the same features of IDShield Family but monitors credit and sends alert from all three credit bureaus.
  • IDShield for Business Essentials ($79.95/month) includes a vulnerability scan, remote technical assistance, emergency help line response and a $100,000 cyberprotection plan. It protects up to six URLs and/or public IP addresses.
  • IDShield for Business Plus ($149.95/month) includes the same protection as IDShield for Business Essentials but covers up to 12 URLs and/or public IP addresses.

LegalShield pricing

Personal legal plans start at $24.95 a month, and additional add-ons start at $12.95 a month. Plans for small businesses start at $49 a month, commercial driver plans start at $32.95 a month and identity theft plans start at $13.95 a month. On average, an independent attorney charges $150 to $400 an hour, meaning partnering with LegalShield could be a big money saver.

The company offers several plan tiers, so be sure to consider how often you might need services and what services you're likely to require to ensure you choose the right plan for you.

LegalShield FAQ

How do I cancel my LegalShield subscription?
Members can cancel their LegalShield subscription at any time and receive a refund for any unused portion of their membership. There are three ways to cancel: call customer support, email customer support or send a written letter.
Will LegalShield hold up in court?
Yes. LegalShield works with bar-certified, independent law firms in the U.S. and Canada. The company has more than 900 attorneys in its network who assist with multiple legal matters, including trademarks, patents and copyrights.
Does LegalShield cover criminal cases?
Yes, LegalShield’s legal plans cover members and their spouses in trial defense cases, and the company can assist with most cases in criminal law.

Is LegalShield worth it?

LegalShield is worth it if you frequently need to consult an attorney and are looking for a budget-friendly option. We recommend the company for individuals, families, small businesses and HR professionals who have a monthly need for legal assistance. LegalShield doesn’t offer the option to pause subscriptions, so clients pay for the month regardless of whether they use the services. If you, your family, or small business require the help of an attorney on a consistent basis, then LegalShield is an affordable choice.

LegalShield Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LegalShield?

Original review: Dec. 28, 2021

I obtained LegalShield through a former employer. I thought it was a great idea to have a legal plan, just like health insurance. When that job ended, I was contacted and asked if I wanted to keep my coverage. I said yes. Now I am in a situation where I need a document reviewed. Very simple. Attorney's office was rude. Any time I asked a question, they would interrupt. Apparently, they do all the talking and you just shut up and listen. They claimed that had not received my documents.

Today I got an e-mail stating they still had not received my documents and were closing my case. I have contacted the attorney's office and Legal Shield. I called and spoke with a rep. It all seemed sketchy, so I looked at BBB and ConsumerAffairs reviews. Both the law firm, and Legal Shield have an overall 2 star rating. I'm not sure I have faith in any legal advice that will be provided at this point. I would like to cancel this plan, but it looks like that is going to be a nightmare.

LegalShield response

Johnny, thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback and share your experience. LegalShield aims to provide only the best service to our members and we appreciate when we are made aware of a concern within our services. We highly recommend submitting a Service concern so that our dedicated team can look deeper into this matter and help provide any understanding needed. Please visit https://legalshield.typeform.com/to/pSnMnF to submit a service concern. Our team will then be in contact with you, as well as the law firm, to get more detailed information and come to an understanding while providing you with the help you need. We look forward to hearing from you and providing you with assistance. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2021

If any of your legal matters are time sensitive or important to you I would recommend finding a provider other than LegalShield. Monday December 13th I submitted a contract review request to Fiffik Law Group, the Pittsburgh based LegalShield provider, and was contacted the following day on the 14th to discuss what was to be done with the contract. I was told by Fiffik, and Legal Shield claims, that the turnaround time on my only 4 page, very simply worded contact would be within 3 business days. Come Monday December 20th and no one has gotten back to me from the law firm so I called to leave messages and emailed until 12/21 Tuesday afternoon when I finally speak with Megan at Fiffik Law Group.

I was informed that the person who would be handling my contract did not even have it on her desk until Monday 12/21/21. Almost a week after submitting it and they had now determined that because the contract was governed by laws other than PA that they could not even review it and it would have to be sent out to another provider firm in said state! The irony is that this information in regards to the location of the parties was provided and available to them from day one! At this point I called Legalshield, explained what's going on, and they filed a Customer Resolution Complaint (or similar verbiage), with the law firm to determine what happened and why my contract was not sent to the appropriate provider firm from the start as it should have been.

LegalSheild tells me that they will act as the mediator by contacting the law firm and then getting back to me typically within 8 hours to work on a resolution. That was Tuesday December 20th at noon. It is now Thursday December 24th so I make one last call to LegalShield to inquire about the status of the complaint and no one at LegalShield can give me any information at all? Not who did the intake, who is working on it, what the provider firm said in response, nothing. Their suggestion was to file another resolution dispute? My suggestion is that if you have LegalShield find a better alternative before this happens to you and if you don't have them steer clear unless you have time to deal with something like this!

LegalShield response

Gary, thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. We appreciate it when our members let us know of their concerns. We can understand how this would be frustrating and we apologize for your experience, as this is unusual. The provider lawyers in our network are dedicated to assisting our members with their legal issues. They strictly adhere to our contract of benefits. A Provider law firm must send a referral to another law firm within the LegalShield network when the legal matter takes place in another state. We are glad to hear that a Service concern was filed and would like to provide more information on this matter, once more verifying membership information is given. Please send your contact information, so we can locate your account, as well as your concerns to MemberServices@pplsi.com and we will have someone on our team look into this deeper. We appreciate your time, thank you.

Get buying tips about Legal Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2021

First of all you should know Legal Shield does not cover felony defense. They only offer a 25% discount. They do not handle disability claims or renewals. They will not fill out documents or do pretty much anything. They give a consultation, 1 call and 1 letter for each time you have a legal problem. Pretty much anything you need done except basic things like changing your name or filing the paperwork for a uncontested divorce. But if your debating ownership of property or children they won't cover a divorce.

And most of the benefits you might use once in your life that are covered are things you would know way before it's a issue and Legal Shield requires you to be a member for a period of time before those benefits are available to use. Best advice is put your money into a bank so if you need a lawyer you can cover it with cash. Because all this service can do is offer a false sense of protection. When it counts they will not be there to fix you problems. They will say here is a 25% coupon and we will refer you to another lawyer. Most things in life you need emergency legal services for are felonies that will not be covered. Unless it's worth paying the premium for 5 minutes of legal advice when you have a issue then you will be disappointed. Don't expect a professional legal services that fix your problems if you get Legal Shield. Because that was definitely not my experience with being a member for almost 1 year.

LegalShield response

LegalShield aims to provide the best customer service possible, and for the provider law firms to provide members with the most successful outcome for their legal matters while adhering to the benefits provided with the membership. Members have access to the contract to review before purchasing.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2021

I just want to quickly let everyone know that this company is terrible from signing up to dealing with them and canceling! Nothing was ever done to a court ordeal I needed help with. Absolutely a joke and waste of time and money. Lastly cancelling their service, you have to submit an email and hope that they get your email to process your cancellation! What type of method is that?? Are we still in the 90s!? Talk about being professional. Terrible customer service whom know nothing. Stay far away!!

LegalShield response

The LegalShield membership provides very specific benefits per the membership contract. Depending upon the phase of your legal situation, the benefits may have been limited to the pre-existing benefit which allows for a discounted rate. There are also notice requirement timelines for court appearances noted in the contract. And, unlike other subscription services like Spotify and Netflix, LegalShield requires cancellation requests to be submitted in writing. We must ensure that the person requesting cancellation is authorized to do so. We do this to protect members as upcoming legal situations can cause individuals in the same household (and on the same membership) to take actions that may not be in the best interest of everyone involved.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2021

We paid for this service for months. Times called for emergency use of needing an attorney to fight for us. We sent all documentation asked of us. Called immediately back the only two times we missed a call from attorneys just to have an email and letter sent to us stating they could never reach us and we did not get them documentation needed and this and that.

You must put in a call to the attorneys and then you wait and HOPE they call you back. It is not convenient by any means. We never got told anything to file or what we needed to file. No help answering our court documents and no lead as to what we could even possibly do. We 110% got the run around. We would not recommend LegalShield from our experience at this point and it’s very unfortunate because I could definitely see the potential of it all.

LegalShield response

To increase usability and convenience, the LegalShield app and web portal offer members the opportunity to see their request for service as it goes through each step of the process, schedule callbacks and much more.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2021

I joined Legal Shield with high hopes of finding an affordable way to contact an attorney for a small business. Right from the very beginning, the user experience issues I had with the website and the customer service of trying to get help with the website was frustrating. I spoke to 4 different service agents about trying to do the main function of the service which is to contact a lawyer. I needed an attorney to look over a contract that had a deadline, and it took a day and a half of talking to different service agents to get any help. I decided to cancel the service, because I couldn't use it.

When I went to cancel, the woman I spoke to on the phone was extremely helpful and I decided to give it another chance. She was able to look up the contact information of my assigned attorney. Once I contacted the attorney, they looked at my contract and interacting with the attorney was just fine. I ended up not needing attorney services for the coming year of the business, and asked to cancel the service.

They really make you jump through hoops to cancel a membership. You have to call, then write them a letter. It seems like they intentionally make it difficult to cancel, which is in my opinion, bad customer service. Good companies offer gracious and easy methods to cancel if a customer truly wants to cancel, so the excuse that they give which is "We must ensure that the person requesting cancellation is authorized to do so." is truly just an excuse, because I spoke to 2 people who verified my identity and I still needed to go through a third channel to cancel.

Overall, I would not recommend it to small business owners. The website is not as user friendly as it could be, there are too many touch points of customer service without a unified method of helping people, and an unnecessarily lengthy method of canceling a membership. I wasted more time during my day, trying to work with their methods, and they came up short. Also, they are an MLM, so if you have any ethical issues with supporting MLM's, then it's important to know that that is how the company is structured.

LegalShield response

Our members have the ability to contact their provider law firm via a toll-free phone number during typical business hours or can submit a request for service through the LegalShield app. This information should have been provided to you when you contacted our offices. We apologize for the inconvenience you experienced.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2021

The people at LegalShield were very nice and professional but the attorneys they send you to are very unprofessional. Every time I asked them to help me with a situation they gave me some excuse why they couldn't help or even lied about not handling certain situations when they did the whole time. Not what I expected to get paying for the highest package they had. Don't use them.

LegalShield response

This is a really important point about LegalShield. LegalShield manages our member's subscriptions to our legal and IDShield plans. Our network of provider law firms administers the legal plan benefits to legal plan members. While we do not play a role in the administering of legal services, we do hold our provider law firms accountable to service level agreements (SLA’s) that are mutually agreed upon by LegalShield and the provider law firms. We provide our members with resources to let us know if their provider law firm is not meeting those SLAs and will work to remediate any issues related to those SLA’s. Thank you for this important feedback.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

You never know which lawyer or customer service person will provide great service, mediocre service, or downright disrespectful service. Some of their lawyers are extremely condescending and patronizing and the same goes for their agents who answer the phone. If the customer had the answers they would not need to consult with subscription services like LegalShield but that being stated does not mean that the customer should be disrespected or treated as just another number. I had an issue with a vendor who was withholding a deposit for an event that could not be held due to COVID-19 restrictions on indoor events in Maryland. The lawyer sent a brief letter that had a glaring misspelled word. The fact that the lawyer didn't take the time to proofread their correspondence was silly.

Fast-forward I had an issue with a tenant and the lawyer assigned was so patronizing and rude, literally cut me off mid-sentence, and seemed pissed off that she had to call me after 5 pm on a Friday. She refused to hear anything I stated and seemed more intent on displaying her "superior intelligence" than trying to provide a viable solution to the issue. Months prior I was seeking advice on how to deal with a car manufacturer that had a defect in their vehicle and I was injured. Instead of calling me back as promised, they had an outside firm call me but failed to inform me of what was happening.

Some attorneys have been very kind, informative and not only listened but came up with solutions that made sense. If you need legal correspondence, some advice on legal matters, or minor contract issues, they are probably a decent resource but don't dare question the advice they provide, even if you are looking for clarity that might cause a ruckus.

LegalShield response

LegalShield manages our member's subscriptions to our legal and IDShield plans. Our network of provider law firms administers the legal plan benefits to legal plan members and is responsible for assigning lawyers to the various requests for services submitted by members. While we do not play a role in the administering of legal services, we do hold our provider law firms accountable to service level agreements (SLA’s) that are mutually agreed upon by LegalShield and the provider law firms. We provide our members with resources to let us know if their provider law firm is not meeting those SLAs and will work to remediate any issues related to those SLA’s. Thank you for this important feedback.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

I had purchased a LegalShield ID Shield plan a while back and just had it for insurance and peace of mind purposes. I would receive an update every now and then letting me know if there had been any identity theft triggers and it was nice to know I was protected. I decided to purchase a LegalShield business plan online based on the services they offer and the reasonable price of $99.00 per month.

Days had gone by as I attempted to log in to access my plan multiple times and could not. I am a website developer so I was pretty sure it was not a user error but I wanted to be sure to get this fixed. When I had some time about a week after purchasing the plan I called the customer service phone number. I was on the phone for 45 minutes and they could not provide me with access to this plan nor were they willing to open a ticket to correct the issue. They stated they would open a ticket but were unwilling to provide a reference number for the ticket and placed me on hold multiple times.

I had decided after 40 minutes on the phone call I wanted to cancel the business and IDShield membership plans out of frustration due to the lack of knowledge and/or willingness of the customer service representatives to help. They transferred me from one customer service representative to another in order to cancel the two plans.

When the second rep told me they would transfer me again, I sternly asked for the email to cancel the membership in writing which I was finally given. Overall I would be very skeptical with the ability of the LegalShield customer service team to assist if you have an issue with your account. This unfortunately is not a review of the actual LegalShield plan, but of the unscrupulous tactics of the two customer service representatives I spoke to. I had followed the instructions and emailed support@legalshieldcorp.com as advised and did not receive a confirmation that it was received. This was also sent to the CEO of LegalShield Jeff Bell. My email software shows it was opened 15 times but here we are nearly two days later and no response.

At this point in time after the runaround, poorly trained customer service staff, poor overall communication when attempting to cancel the membership I do not plan on doing business with this company. I hope this review helps change the culture to be more customer service-centric. I plan to dispute the charge with my bank if I do not receive any type of communication with this company. This of course is just my experience and hopefully, yours will be better.

LegalShield response

Unlike other subscription services like Spotify and Netflix, LegalShield requires cancellation requests to be submitted in writing. We must ensure that the person requesting cancellation is authorized to do so. We do this to protect members as upcoming legal situations can cause individuals in the same household (and on the same membership) to take actions that may not be in the best interest of everyone involved.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

I'm an Etsy seller who received automated trademark infringements. I sell replacement products and products that work with other branded products. This is generally protected through nominative fair use. The first attorney I spoke to said it's not part of my plan to have him look at my online shop. He refused to even look at my advertisement/product. He hung up on me when I asked to clarify what he wanted me to do. The second lawyer I spoke to, looked at my shop and said 'absolutely infringement' and to stop selling because 'I make money off it'. This lawyer has no idea what normative fair use is. I ended up getting a local intellectual property attorney in my area. She ended up having the company remove all their infringement notices and white listing my online store.

The card I used for LegalShield payments was canceled due to fraud. Somehow LegalShield started charging the new card that was sent to me. I looked up how to cancel membership and called the number provided. After waiting on hold, lady said 'no problem.' To cancel, 'let me put you on hold so I get all the information for you.' Pretty much you call a number, wait on hold, then have a robot tell you to email them with your member id and write 'cancel'. The people I spoke to who were NOT attorneys were nice and reasonable. Their attorneys treat you as if you're not worth their time.

LegalShield response

LegalShield aims to provide the best customer service possible, and for our attorneys to provide members with the most successful outcome for their legal matters while adhering to the benefits provided with the membership. While we do not play a role in the administering of legal services, we do hold our provider law firms accountable to service level agreements (SLA’s) that are mutually agreed upon by LegalShield and the provider law firms. We provide our members with resources to let us know if their provider law firm is not meeting those SLAs and will work to remediate any issues related to those SLA’s. Thank you for this important feedback.

LegalShield Company Information

1972
    Formerly Named:
    Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.
    1 Prepaid Way