LegalShield

formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.

1.4/5 (38 ratings)

Author picture
Written by Lorraine Roberte
Edited by Shawn Richardson

About LegalShield

LegalShield works with a network of lawyers that can offer legal advice and help with a variety of legal issues. It operates everywhere in the U.S. and across all of Canada, and assistance is available 24/7 for certain emergency situations. LegalShield generally works on a monthly membership basis, and plans are available for individuals, families and businesses.

Pros

• Serves individuals and businesses
  • Unlimited legal advice
  • No retainer fee needed
  • 24/7 emergency legal assistance

Cons

• Limited services in Massachusetts

Bottom Line

LegalShield partners with law firms to offer assistance with everything from speeding tickets to court representation. However, not every situation is covered by your monthly membership fee, so be prepared for other costs.

Top LegalShield Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I've had the LegalShield membership since 1998. It helps me make better wiser decisions when it comes to my family and Home-based business. I've saved thousands in consulting, doc...

Verified

I was in a situation where my family attorney couldn’t help me fast enough. A friend referred me to LS, and they saved me from being taken advantage of by an insurance company. My...

Get access to verified lawyers today

Ask for help 24/7 on JustAnswer

Get Started

What is LegalShield?

While LegalShield itself is not a law firm, it offers people and businesses legal advice and protection through its network of nearly 40 provider law firms and more than 900 lawyers. LegalShield has been in business for over 40 years, and it has helped more than 4.5 million members.

Because services are based on your membership plan, you can get help with an unlimited number of legal matters in return for a flat monthly rate. That means there are no retainer fees, and you don’t need to pay lawyers separately unless your needs go beyond what’s included in your plan. If you do need services outside of your plan benefits, you get a 25% discount off your lawyer’s standard hourly rate.

How does LegalShield work?

Getting started with LegalShield is a simple process. You first sign up for a monthly membership and set up your account online. Then, all you have to do is download the company’s Apple or Android app and use it to call your law firm, request emergency help, submit traffic tickets, get documents started or take care of your other legal needs.

LegalShield does the work of matching you to an accomplished law firm within your state. From there, you’ll work with one of its qualified lawyers to get help with your legal matters.

While you’ll always work with the same law firm, you might not always work with the same attorney. This isn’t necessarily surprising, though. Even within a single firm, different lawyers will often have different areas of expertise.

LegalShield membership

LegalShield membership gives you access to legal help in exchange for a monthly fee. Members can get unlimited legal advice, so you can call your law firm without worrying about going over a certain amount of time or number of calls.

LegalShield membership includes help with:

• Consumer finance issues
  • Real estate
  • Starting a business
  • Traffic violations and accidents
  • Civil trial defense

If you need legal services not included in your membership plan, like representation in criminal court, you get a 25% discount off your attorney’s standard hourly rate.

Membership also includes perks like savings of up to 50% from company partners such as Verizon, Costco and Amazon. In total, discounts are available from more than 500 brands.

LegalShield plans

LegalShield offers several different membership plans.

The LegalShield Personal Plan starts at $29.95 a month ($24.95 in Massachusetts) and is designed for individuals and families looking for legal advice. The plan includes:
  • Unlimited consulting
  • Speeding ticket assistance
  • Unlimited contract reviews (up to 15 pages each)
  • Will preparation
  • Living will preparation
  • Durable power of attorney preparation
  • Uncontested adoption representation
  • Trial defense in civil suits
  • Uncontested divorce or separation representation
  • Uncontested name change assistance
  • IRS audit services
  • Residential loan document assistance
  • Protection for consumer law matters

You can add on to your Personal Legal Plan with various supplements, such as the:

• Home Business Supplement: Covers business matters and adds unlimited business consultations and legal reviews for four contracts or documents per month. You also get IRS audit legal services for your home business.
  • Trial Defense Supplement: Adds pre-trial and trial defense hours to the Personal Legal Plan.
  • Gun Owner Supplement: Provides legal protection and consultation for firearm-related incidents and topics. With this supplement, you can also get one NFA trust for an additional flat fee of $250.
  • Ride Share and Delivery Driver Supplement: Provides legal services for moving violations, accidents and vehicle damage and IRS audit services for ride-sharing or delivery matters.
Small Business Legal Plans connect your business with a provider law firm to help with a variety of issues, including advice, consultation, research, collection letters and document reviews.

LegalShield has three different plans for small businesses:

• Small Business Legal Essentials costs $49 per month.
  • Small Business Legal Plus costs $99 per month.
  • Small Business Legal Pro costs $169 per month.

The plans mostly differ by how often the services can be used. For instance, Small Business Legal Essentials includes 10 document reviews per year for documents up to 15 pages long, while Small Business Legal Pro includes 40 document reviews per year for documents up to 25 pages long. The Plus and Pro level plans also include flat-fee services, IRS audit legal services and interstate services, which are not included in the Essentials plan.

LegalShield also offers employment benefits that include online, legal and identity theft protection. You need to request a proposal to find out pricing information, though. LegalShield claims there are over 30,000 companies of all sizes providing these services to employees.

The Commercial Drivers Legal Plan is designed for licensed commercial drivers looking for representation and coverage, and it starts at $32.95 a month.

This plan includes:

• Coverage for your spouse
  • Assistance with licensing and loss of driving privileges
  • Traffic accident representation
  • Moving violations defense
  • Department of Transportation and nonmoving violations defense
  • Collecting property damage and personal injury claims (2.5 hours of lawyer time)
  • 25% discount off lawyer hourly rates for transportation-related legal issues outside of core plan benefits
  • Discounts from popular brands
LegalShield also offers an identity theft protection plan through its product IDShield. This plan helps individuals, families and businesses looking for identity theft protection.

LegalShield cost

LegalShield pricing varies depending on which type of plan you choose:

• Personal legal plans cost $29.95 a month in most areas ($24.95 in Massachusetts), and add-ons start at $14.95 per month.
  • Plans for small businesses are either $49, $99 or $169 per month.

Under both types of memberships, legal fees not included in the monthly price are discounted at 25% off your lawyer’s hourly rate. According to LegalShield, an independent attorney charges an average of $150 to $400 an hour, meaning getting help through LegalShield could be a big money saver.

Entrepreneurs looking to start their businesses can also use LegalShield for help. Launch by LegalShield costs $149 plus state filing fees.

FAQ

Is LegalShield the same as Prepaid Legal?

LegalShield used to be called Prepaid Legal, but it changed its name back in 2011.

How do I cancel my LegalShield subscription?

Members can cancel their LegalShield subscription at any time by calling, emailing or sending a written letter.

Will LegalShield hold up in court?

There’s no way to guarantee the outcome of a court’s decision. However, the more than 900 attorneys in LegalShield's network average 22 years of experience each, and the company itself has been building relationships with law firms across the U.S. and Canada for the last 49 years. LegalShield screens each law firm it works with, and it monitors firms daily.

Does LegalShield cover criminal cases?

LegalShield members can call their lawyer for advice on criminal cases or to request a review of documents related to a criminal case. These services are covered under your monthly fee.

If you need to be represented in criminal court, you can hire your lawyer for a 25% discount off their standard hourly rate.

Is LegalShield worth it?

LegalShield is likely worth it if you frequently need to consult an attorney and are looking for a more budget-friendly option. Like with most subscriptions, you’ll want to balance your monthly payment against how often you actually need the services in question (and what they’ll normally cost you) to see if membership makes sense for you. If you don’t need legal services often, the price might not be worth it — but if you have a recurring need for legal services, getting help through LegalShield could save you a lot of money.

LegalShield Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LegalShield?

Original review: Oct. 27, 2022

I call LegalShield in Nov of 2021. They sent me to Davis Miles Mcgurie and Gardne in Arizona. These lawyers lied to me and did not do as I ask and hired them to do this went on for 7 months. Their lawyers legal shield sent me to lied and deceived me. Yes I know legal shield wants everyone to believe that the customer is the stupid one. But don't expect to get a refund or any satisfaction because no matter what legal shield does not care and they will tell you how stupid you are for trying and they know they can get away with it because the state bar of Arizona will always say the cheating lying lawyer is right and the client is always going to be wrong. Yes that's right and thanks to Mr Reid ** at the state bar of Arizona legal shield is right. Legal shield is a scam

LegalShield response

Toni, thank you for the feedback. At PPLSI, we champion equal access to justice and security. From accessible legal advice to identity theft restoration, we are proud to empower every member to get the help they need when they need it.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience as it allows us to improve. We aim to provide the best customer service possible, and for our lawyers to provide members with the most successful outcome for their legal matters while adhering to the benefits provided with the membership. We have systems and resources in place for members to notify us if they are not satisfied with the services provided. We encourage all members with questions about their specific membership benefits or service complaints to contact LegalShield Member Services at (800)-654-7757 between 7-7 CST Monday-Friday, or via our LegalShield App, where assistance from our Member Services Team and your Provider Law Firm is just a tap of the app away.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2022

I have been a client for more than 20 years, nor did I use (luckily) the service. I needed to make and legalize my will and it is impossible to do it. They do not answer the phone and the only time I managed to communicate, They gave me bad information. Not recommendable.

LegalShield response

Gabriel, thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. We are disappointed to hear that information was not communicated well and that you found it challenging to obtain the clear support you needed. We aim to provide the best customer service possible, and for our lawyers to provide members with the most successful outcome for their legal matters while adhering to the benefits provided with the membership. We hope you’ll give us another chance to show you the service we’re truly capable of providing. We would like the opportunity to investigate this further to help bring a resolution. To do so, we need a bit more of your information. Please submit our Attorney Service Concern Form at https://legalshield.typeform.com/to/pSnMnF, and a member of our team will reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Get buying tips about Legal Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2022

It's not a fun situation when you need to call lawyers. LegalShield brings an already very frustrated legal situation to the next level. My previous workplace used to have a legal plan program, I thought LegalShield will be similar... Completely wrong. First of all, the 4 hours return call is always a joke. Lawyers usually don't return call within that time frame. If you urgently need their advice/action, and you need your home attorney office for referral to another state's lawyer, expect days of wait and you will have to keep following up and see why no one call you back.

Secondly, LegalShield don't seem to vet their attorneys. They sent me to an unethical lawyer and apparently there is no standard/rules to adhere to be LegalShield's network attorney. Long story short, the lawyer did not do what I retained him for, and he did not show up at the court date and a flat rate fee of $7400 turned into endless extortion. I paid $15k legal fees, a simple non-juridical issue is not resolved and damaged so badly, worst than before I retained him.

I understand there are bad apples and I also know this review is for LegalShield not for the unethical lawyer. You would think LegalShield will have their members' back. No, they don't. Many calls to LegalShield's home law firm, their referral department, their customer resolutions. Either they don't return calls, or "Sorry, we can't help". Most of the time, they don't even want to hear the story and interrupt and said "we can't help". Sometimes, I think they make it worse.

When they look into problems, instead of asking their client first, they asked the lawyer first. They allowed the lawyer to submit their evidence, but refused me to submit mine. This shows how much they "care" about you, LegalShield members. To summarize, I paid $50/month for LegalShield's service so they can refer someone to rob myself. When reported to LegalShield, there is nothing they can do about it.

LegalShield response

Ria, we appreciate your feedback as it allows us to view opportunities for improvement. Protecting and empowering our members with the tools and services needed to affordably live a just and secure life has been our mission for more than 50 years. The provider lawyers in our network are dedicated to assisting our members with their legal issues. They will work diligently to provide members with the appropriate legal advice and actionable steps to take while strictly adhering to their membership benefits. We want every member to have a positive experience, even in those times when there may not be a legal solution available for the situation.

Understanding the full benefits of a LegalShield Membership is important. For specific questions about your membership benefits, you can contact our Member Services Team at (800)-654-7757, via chat at www.legalshield.com or by email at memberservices@legalshieldcorp.com between 7-7 CST Monday-Friday, and a team member would be happy to provide all those details for you.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2022

I joined Legal Shield because like many hard-working Americans I was enticed by the idea that I could have an attorney to work my case without paying upfront legal fees that can be expensive. The first time I dealt with them, it was an unemployment case during the pandemic and was lucky enough to get a very good lawyer who resolved my case so that I stopped getting the run-around and received my benefits.

I've had some letters written, but had to work hard to get my point across as the attorneys were hard-pressed to 1. believe me though I presented viable information that I did not owe the creditors in question 2. had to repeatedly stay on top of the lawyer to ensure that they actually sent letters as there were times when 3. they would BLAME ME for not sending the required documentation when it's done electronically and THERE IS A DIGITAL FOOTPRINT.

The last situation took the cake! I was working for a large employer here in Georgia and had some issues with blatant discrimination and retaliatory behavior. When I finally received a call from the lawyer, she was silent, barely spoke, never asked for details in the case, and stated "...well...you still work there..." as if to say "what you are complaining about? so what if you're being discriminated against...you should be grateful to have a job and that they haven't fired you.." It was disgusting and unconscionable!

Oh but it gets better, she called the company in question to tell them that I was going to file an EEOC complaint amongst other things! How do I know? Well, they called me into a meeting and told me the same thing that she told me, "Well, at least you still work here!...Why would you file a complaint?" Gee, thanks cut-throat second-rate "lawyer". Most of their attorneys seem to not be very good and have dismissed that they are supposed to represent THEIR CLIENT (NOT THE DEFENDANT) WITH ZEAL! This is just a paycheck.

LegalShield response

Malika, thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. We are disappointed to hear that information was not communicated well and that you found it challenging to obtain the clear support you needed. We aim to provide the best customer service possible, and for our lawyers to provide members with the most successful outcome for their legal matters while adhering to the benefits provided with the membership.

We have systems and resources in place for members to notify us if they're not satisfied with the services provided. We encourage all members with questions or service complaints to contact Member Services at (800)-654-7757 between 7-7 CST Monday-Friday, or you may submit our Attorney Service Concern Form at https://legalshield.typeform.com/to/pSnMnF and a member of our team will reach out to you directly. We look forward to assisting you.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2022

LegalShield experience depends on the draw--Lawyers are chosen for you. On my case, the correspondence sent for my review was riddled with errors. Twice. The next time LegalShield sent the "final" letter for review, it was NOT MY CASE. They sent me the wrong letter containing detailed information of another's case!! I informed them of their mistake, but received no acknowledgment other than a form email with my final letter attached...still with mistakes. I'm quite certain I will not win this case now.

LegalShield response

Paula, thank you for bringing your concern to our attention. That is never an experience we want our members to have. We sincerely apologize. We would like the opportunity to review this matter further and provide you with the support you need. To do so, we need a bit more info. Please submit our Attorney Service Concern Form at https://legalshield.typeform.com/to/pSnMnF, and a member of our team will reach out to you directly. We look forward to assisting you.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2022

LegalShield recommended a real estate lawyer whom I contracted with to represent me in a battle over deed restrictions. Lawyer wanted a 10k retention fee. Trusting Legal Shield’s recommended, I paid the fee. It has been three years and lawyer has done NOTHING. I called and visited the lawyer many times, emailed many times. Each visit, each phone call, each email was the same, “Working on it.” Three years!!!! Lawyer isn’t working on anything. I don’t recommend Legal Shield. Lawyers will take your fees, do nothing and live lavish lifestyles on YOUR money.

LegalShield response

Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. We are disappointed that information was not communicated well and that you have found it challenging to obtain the clear support you needed. We aim to provide the best customer service possible, and for our lawyers to provide members with the most successful outcome for their legal matters while adhering to the benefits provided with the membership.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2022

Being frustrated with having no A/C for 30+ days and getting the run around between American Home Shield and contractor, thought I would give them a try. When I spoke with an attorney, he recommended that I read my contract for resolution. Also, feel free to call back if you have any questions. WOW, thanks!

LegalShield response

Teri, we appreciate you taking the time to make us aware of your experience. We regret to hear that you were unable to utilize your membership benefits; that is never an experience we want our valued members to have. Our dedicated Member Services team would love to investigate this matter further but would need more information to do so, please fill out an Attorney Service Concern form at https://legalshield.typeform.com/to/pSnMnF to be contacted directly. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2022

I don't want to talk about it. Horrible experience. I would not recommend this to anyone. The firm I got assigned to did not assist me in any way. I spent money with them for essentially no reason. I threw my money in the trash.

LegalShield response

Jonathan, thank you for the feedback. That is never an experience that we want our members to have. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience as it allows us to improve. We have systems and resources in place for members to notify us if they are not satisfied with the services provided. We encourage all members with questions about their specific membership benefits or service complaints to contact our LegalShield Member Services Team at (800)-654-7757 or via chat at www.legalshield.com between 7-7 CST Monday-Friday, where a team member would be happy to provide support.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2022

I was introduced by a person I knew from real estate who invited me to a Zoom where I heard a testimony of a man that made millions but before was broke and it spoke to me so I signed up. I went on to sign up 6 associates in a month and 3 cancelled due to negative sentiments about the company. I was owed $1600+ with commission and bonuses but they did not pay me because and paused my application because I offended a woman in their application review department that thought I was signing people up and lying to them. I signed up Christians that I knew and I did have a record 21 years ago but signed up three times for LegalShield in the past 10 years and it was never an issue until now when they owe me nearly 2k.

I submitted everything they asked me to and they still denied my application and I was completely righteous in all my dealing with them and did things by the book. The experience was terrible, on the very day I was to get paid they placed me on hold then held me hostage for 3 plus weeks dragging their feet on a closed case from 2001. I would avoid them at all costs as far as a business opportunity goes. They will charge back anything that doesn't stay on the books a full year and not all do. **

LegalShield response

Tim, we understand your concern, and we would like to provide some clarification. Though it is rare, there are some reasons an Associate agreement may be canceled per company option by PPLSI. This information can be found in any Associate agreement. As a mission-based company dedicated to protecting and empowering people with the tools and services needed to affordably live a just and secure life, this option is not taken lightly and is only implemented when necessary. We can understand how this may be upsetting. If you feel that this decision was made by error, please contact our Associate Services team at (580)-436-7424 between 7-7 CST Monday-Friday, and we would be happy to provide further details if needed. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2022

I keep receiving emails from a previous job search account on CareerBuilder from ** entitled "Important Information Regarding Your Resume on CareerBuilder", claiming to represent LegalShield. I have absolutely no matching skills for this type of job (nor any desire to work for them), so I assume they just flood everyone to see what happens. I've asked her to stop, yet the emails keep coming. Going to block them now, but it gives me the feeling that LegalShield and its reps are not on the level. Not a good view of LegalShield or CareerBuilder for allowing this type of garbage to continue.

LegalShield response

Sam, thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. Any personal opinions, actions, or thoughts made by any LegalShield employee, law firm, or Independent Associate are not a direct reflection of LegalShield but are not taken lightly. We would like the opportunity to review this matter further. To do so, please submit your feedback via our Associate Concern Form at https://legalshield.typeform.com/to/TQ3Yos a member of our team will reach out to you directly to remedy this issue. If you prefer to speak to a live representative, please contact our team at (800)-654-7757 between 7-7 CST Monday-Friday, or by live chat at www.legalshield.com. Thank you.

LegalShield Company Information

1972
    Formerly Named:
    Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.
    1 Prepaid Way