4.74/5
Based on 1,015 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Life is unpredictable. LegalShield gives you the confidence of knowing whatever comes your way, someone is looking out for you. Whether it's with affordable, prepaid legal service that puts a dedicated law firm on your side or identity theft protection with IDShield that's best in class. IDShield is the only identity theft protection company armed with a team of Kroll licensed private investigators on call to restore your identity With LegalShield and IDShield, you're always covered.

LegalShield's 650 employees are dedicated to serving our more than 4 million users in the United States and Canada. Protect yourself and your family today.

LegalShield Video
A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Last updated: May 21, 2018

1224 LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.) Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 21, 2018

I was a member and sales rep for Pre-paid Legal and when I got hurt and needed their help they told me they could not help me. Only if I'm being sued can they help me. I told him that's why I have property insurance so why would I need Legal Shield. Anyway I went to use them and they wanted to charge me outrageous fees. This company is nothing more than a scam and everybody should be concern especially the dopes that they have out there selling this crap!

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.) response

As a member of LegalShield, formerly doing business as Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc., trial defense benefits are available if you are the named defendant in a civil suit. If you are the Plaintiff, there are benefits available depending on the details of your case which can include consultation, document review, and the preferred member discount. This information is made available in the benefits contract that is sent to each member and at www.legalshield.com

Get expert buying tips about Legal Services delivered to your inbox.

Resolution In Progress
Original review: May 11, 2018

This company takes advantage of people who don’t have enough money to get by. I signed up to sell LegalShield because someone took advantage of my financial position, made me trust her, and led me to believe the service could “sell itself”. Before my first month was up I had reached out to my family, I had my parents reach out to friends, and I even went as far as to ask my friends if they’d share some info with their parents. They all said the same thing: that sounds unnecessary. And they’re right: this company has families buy into a service at about $50/month for 12 months a year. Unless you are constantly getting in trouble with the law, $600 yearly legal fees for NOTHING if you end up not needing an attorney is ABSURD.

With about 11 days left in what I THOUGHT was a 30 day trial in a $249 investment in “marketing services” the company offers associates, I contacted them about backing out. At this point, they informed me that there was only a 5 day trial for me to get any money back. I feel deceived, misled, and taken advantage of this company. Shame on them. Do not become an associate if you think you can make a dime by “just sharing info with friends and family!” (The truth is they want you to spend MORE to be certified to present & sell to small businesses). Scam artists at their finest, they know that associates like me do not have the time or money to file a class action lawsuit.

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.) response

When a prospect elects to sign up to become a LegalShield Associate, there are initial fees outlined in the agreement and explained to the prospect. There is a 5-day refund policy which allows the new associate to review the information and if they determine this is not a business they would like to pursue, then it can be refunded in full. Currently, there is not a 30-day trial offer when becoming a LegalShield Associate.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: April 26, 2018

Checking my credit card statement and found two charges of $99.00 and $9.95 from LegalShield, a company I had never done any business and never even heard of. Called the company, explain to a representative of what happen. He asked for my credit card number to look up the charges, which he found, apparently someone I never heard of used my CC information to purchase services from LegalShield. I told the representative that I did not know this person. I did not authorize these charges. The rep told me to file a police report and call the bank, but they were going to charge my card anyway. I called my bank and cancelled the CC, and I'm disputing the charges. This all happen today, so I will see what happens. I would stay clear of this company, seems like a scam.

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.) response

We will certainly look into this matter and refund any monies taken without your authorization. When LegalShield receives an application to become a member and/or to become a selling Associate, we process the application as requested. We are a legitimate and respectable company who has been doing business for 45 years and certainly not a scam of any sorts.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: April 23, 2018

I clearly asked the associate selling me the product "what is the refund policy." He said 30 days trial period. I called two weeks into signing up, and LegalShield say "starting April 1st, it is 5 days cancellation policy." Huge scam.

Insufficient response received
Original review: April 9, 2018

When in need of legal service Legal Shield “ALWAYS” denies to represent me saying it’s not covered. The last instance is I have been refused representation for a speeding ticket I received. I’m beginning to wonder what is actually covered and what I’m paying for!! However they do give me the option to obtain representation at a discount.

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.) response

LegalShield views its members as the company’s most important asset. So when you’re not happy with the service you received, we want to know. Please visit us on https://legalshield.typeform.com/to/pSnMnF to leave us your feedback. We will look into your concern and reach out in a timely fashion to ensure satisfaction.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LegalShield?

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: March 29, 2018

LegalShield assigned a law provider to us for a consultation for a tenant/landlord dispute. We vacated our four year rental home on the false pretenses that the landlady wanted to move in. She rented the property within two weeks of our departure. The greedy landlady also retained our $1200 security deposit. We left the house in pristine condition, had the premises move-out detailed cleaned by a team. We took 32 photos of every room and appliance to proved the condition. There were no damages or breakages. The case was handed to an attorney who mishandled the trial prep from the start and was subsequently fired after incompetent work and the complaints of multiple unhappy clients, What we were told "appeared to be a straightforward case,” we paid the $2300 represented as the fee for 10 hours work. We were led to believe that there would be no further charges.

We lost the case (however we prevailed meaning the Judge ruled in our favor but cut the refund). We were also granted all "reasonable" attorney's fees. And only received $86 from our security deposit after our LegalShield provider's attorney dismissed a vital witness (an realtor agent) who was subpoenaed and appeared in Broward County Court (FL) to provide testimony. Now there were a further three lawyers assigned to our 'simple' case who were in turn either fired or resigned. The Defendant hired an attorney even though we offered to surrender the complete deposit to her. This being the reason we sought help from LegalShield.

Now the assigned Law firm (not prepared to state the name for obvious reasons) is saying we owe a further $6900. This is simply "daylight robbery". This is unacceptable the creative. My wife and I are both Senior citizens who have never been sued and this fight of our security deposit to be rightfully returned is our very first lawsuit. We believe strongly to "do no harm" to anyone but feel the compulsion to seek legal assistance for Justice to prevail. Now we have been slammed by the LegalShield Law firm who has retained all of the downpayment and installments of our legal fees (they are saying this is to cover their "balance".) This is not right!!! We have been doubly wronged.

Please someone take action to have this situation rectified. We low income family struggling to make it from month to month, as are many other families out there. We would like to have someone please look into this matter and transmit this Consumer complaint to LegalShield. We have now discontinued our membership and only had only other minor matter involving a letter sent on our behalf to recover a check issued to us without funds. Thank you.

Original review: March 10, 2018

I am a LegalShield member, I greatly enjoy my membership, it is very helpful if you know how to utilize it. It's not a magical fix all overnight solution, which is what I'm assuming most people think when they purchased their memberships. It's not free, no lawyer is just going to represent you for nothing but it clearly states in the sign up process that members are guaranteed a 25% preferred member discount from the lawyers they're referred to, you still have to spend out of pocket money for legal representation.

However if you need letters written or documents reviewed, a living will or power of attorney those are free under the membership. Pre-existing legal matters like unpaid parking tickets, divorce, child custody etc. Pretty much anything that requires a lawyer to physically be present in court would fall under the 25% discount benefit. Though you will still be paying significantly for legal representation -as would anyone needing legal representation- you're paying less for any of these matters than you would be without the help of LegalShield.

I purchased my membership out of New York and I have to say in the 4 months I've had my LegalShield membership I've have gotten loads of significant advice from the law firm out of New York, and as a father being able to get my last will and testament done for free thanks to my membership as to where if I were to have one done up by some random lawyer it would cost me upward of 100s-1000s of dollars is just awesome! Having them write letters on your behalf to get collections agencies etc to stop harassing you, even more powerful. Get the membership, learn how to utilize it properly and I promise you won't be let down! Legal matters don't get better overnight and nobody is going to represent you for free other than public defenders or conflict defenders. LegalShield provides quality law firms and yes you are going to have to pay money but it's a lot less than what you'd pay without the membership! Be smart. Use your heads my dear people! :)

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.) response

Thank you so much for your kind words and we are so glad to hear that you have received great assistance with your legal matters! We greatly appreciate you being a member of LegalShield!

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: March 3, 2018

The first lawyer I was assigned, Mark ** of Rockford could not read the documents I gave him. The second lawyer assigned was Frank ** of Batavia who had me drive 60 miles to tell me he would not drive that far to represent me. The third lawyer I was assigned, Steven ** of Skokie has some serious negative reviews concerning his lack of honesty by former clients. I was able to talk briefly with him twice. I emailed him all the court documents he needed. After that, many messages I left with him was a waste of time. We had an agreement that I would call him March 2, 2018. I called him twice that evening. He ignored me. LegalShield's law firm, Shimanovsky & Moscardini, Ltd. refers you to a lawyer they don't screen, obviously.

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.) response

LegalShield views its members as the company’s most important asset. So when you’re not happy with the service you received, we want to know. We are not showing a concern has been filed on this matter, meaning we were not made aware of this members issue. Please visit https://legalshield.typeform.com/to/pSnMnF to leave us your feedback. We will look into your concern and reach out in a timely fashion to ensure satisfaction.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

Have been a member since 1985 and have been happy with every situation the attorneys handled. It was quick, and resolved. We were able to save thousands of dollars because of the membership on one situation alone. Would NEVER be without it. Thank you LegalShield!!

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.) response

We are so happy to hear about your satisfaction with our service! Thank you for being a member all these years! We greatly appreciate you!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I've had LegalShield for 7 years. I have always thought they were amazing. Until today. I called LegalShield for an extremely important matter yesterday, 02/15/18, and they told me a lawyer would be in touch with me between 1-8 hours. That normally happens. However, no lawyer EVER called. So today, 02/16/18, I called LegalShield 5 times to speak to this attorney, Michelle (I only know her name because the receptionist said it), and the receptionist tells me she's always on the phone. So now it's after 5, on a Friday, and a lawyer has never called me, not once. This is the first time LegalShield has ever done this to us, but it's enough!! This legal matter we're dealing with is important and them ** around is costing us time. We've paid for this membership for 7 years, and now when we need them they suck!!!

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.) response

LegalShield views its members as the company’s most important asset. So when you’re not happy with the service you received, we want to know. Please visit https://legalshield.typeform.com/to/pSnMnF to leave us your feedback. We will look into your concern and reach out in a timely fashion to ensure satisfaction. Please keep in mind that to preserve confidentiality, communication will be made only with the affected member.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

This membership is amazing! Once I realize that attorneys don't magically fix the situation things got a lot better. My expectations at first was they were going to fix everything then after speaking with the person who sold me the plan I completely understand what the membership is and how to use it. I love it.

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.) response

Travon, we are so glad to hear that you are enjoying your membership! LegalShield is a great service to have should you ever need assistance, thank you for being a member!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I have had my membership for 4 years now and it has always been a great support for me and my family in regards to have our rights protected. Two years ago my apartment complex tried to kick me out for an ad I didn't post on Airbnb, but when I called my provider law firm and explained the situation. I was given a 3 days notice to leave the apartment but instead I received an excuse letter from the administration management for the mistake.

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.) response

Rene, we are so happy to hear that your matter was taken care of with full satisfaction! Thank you for taking the time to let us know how you have benefited from your membership!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

Every time I'm given the opportunity to utilize these services, I am truly astonished at the professionalism and quick turn around I receive. As soon as I became a member of LegalShield and contacted my Provider Law Firm, I knew I had to let my good friends and family know about LegalShield!

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.) response

We are so glad to hear that you have received nothing but the best service and couldn't agree with you more. Thank you for being a member of LegalShield!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

One of their associates apparently submitted an application for Legal Shield using my payment information. My debit card has been fully in my possession. I had never heard of this company before checking my bank statement this morning. Apparently I paid for some random man's account, a man's name I've never heard of before. I told them that this was NOT an authorized charge, provided a front side copy of my VISA debit card showing the card number was mine (not this strange man's), and a copy of my bank statement showing the charges. I was charged $99 for what I assume after researching, an account for him to sell Legal Shield. I've filed a police report, identity theft report, and my bank is investigating. LegalShield on the other hand is not cooperating. They want additional proof from me that the debit card is in fact mine. I'm not sure what more I can prove to them without further violating my own privacy.

I'm also not sure what I would gain from trying to have another person's card refunded. I also find it interesting how they are demanding so much from me to refund a service I never purchased, yet clearly didn't require any type of verification before charging my card. They will not confirm to me that the account opened using my payment information has been or will be closed. They refuse to provide any information on the application I paid for. I've also asked several times for them to provide information to the police and they will not do that either.

So now I am out $99 until my bank finishes their investigation. There is apparently an Associate of LegalShield who has my debit card information, and possibly more information of mine which is extremely concerning, and LegalShield won't confirm that this account is closed or that any action will be taken. They say to work in legal services, including identity theft protection, yet their Associates are opening accounts and registering as Legal Shield representatives by using stolen debit card information. LegalShield takes no responsibility for this, does not investigate further, does not contact authorities, and will not refund the fraudulent charges to the rightful debit card owner.

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.) response

As a company, LegalShield takes any indication of fraud very seriously. We launch full investigations using every resource available to us so that we may properly resolve the matter. If funds are received by way of a fraudulent action, we will provide the appropriate refund once we have confirmation of the transactions and are able to identify the parties involved.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I was using the internet to search for a way to find assistance with completing a very simple legal document (a title of transfer) out of state. I stumbled on a site that lead me to a LegalShield salesman who swore to me that the purchase of a membership would result in the completion of everything I needed done without further cost. I let myself be talked into it but very soon found that the purchase of a membership only entitled me to a discount on the legal services of the company they referred me to. I immediately canceled my membership which they were willing to do but when it came to getting a refund of the membership fees, this proved to be an entirely different matter. They said I need to submit a request for a refund separately which I did but so far my request has been completely ignored. Don’t be fooled. This is a scam!

Updated on 03/03/2018: In response to my previous review on this site in which I report that although I cancelled my LegalShield membership less than 24 hours after having been talked into it through false claims being made, I still had not received a refund of my membership fees 3 weeks later. A LegalShield representative responded to my review by saying that members who cancel their memberships are entitled to a refund of their fees. However, a month has gone by now and I still have not received a refund and LegalShield does not respond to my emails. I will report here if, in fact, this does eventually have a good ending. In the meantime, I am still waiting.

Updated on 03/06/2018: I wrote 2 previous negative reviews about my experience with LegalShield and my difficulties in getting a refund but to be fair, I now want to report that although it took 6 weeks, they did refund my membership almost in full. I can not give them high marks for customer service however as they never responded to my emails and did not notify me when they finally completed the refund. I only found out from my credit card statement.

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.) response

Upon written request, the Member shall be entitled to be reimbursed by the Company the unused portion of the membership fees paid for this Contract, the amount to be calculated on a pro-rata basis over the period of the Contract. This specific refund request is currently under review and in the process of being completed as it was received on 1/30/18.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

They promised free first consultation, never got it. In fact they were charging way more for the first consult than other attorneys outside of Legal Shield. I knew it was too good to be true. They don't help like they promised. I should've read the reviews first.

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.) response

LegalShield members receive consultations on unlimited legal matters as a benefit of their membership at no additional cost. Members may also receive our Preferred Member Discount of 25% off the lawyer's standard hourly rate for any services that are not fully covered by the plan.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

I was recruited by a representative of this company. In his ad it said "Would you like to have those old traffic tickets resolved". I replied and spoke with the guy who assured me this service could do that. After receiving my membership numbers, I called the attorney selected for me and was told "since you got the tickets before joining, we can't help you unless you pay for it". I called and asked to cancel and for a refund. It's been well over a month and no refund yet. I called and emailed my request again, a supervisor called me and got my information and story. Still there has not been a refund yet. Just a lot of "it's being processed" replies. I would caution anyone NOT TO USE this service.

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.) response

As a LegalShield Member, a Pre-existing legal event is an event that predates the effective date of the membership. You may have consultation on unlimited legal matters including Pre-existing. You may also receive our Preferred Member Discount of 25% off your lawyer's standard hourly rate for assistance with any Pre-existing legal matters.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

I was not allowed to have a phone consult with an attorney unless I sent over documentS first. I repeatedly advise them that I did not have documents. I then spoke to another attorney in the same practice. He said that I did not need documents but then proceeded to argue with me (because he was curious), to why I wanted to talked to an attorney about an issue he already gave me his opinion on. His job was to refer me to a MD attorney who knew MD laws. Customer service was rude & argued with me for 2 wks. Finally, when I got the contract in the mail, I called them and asked them where in the contracted it stated I needed documents. After a long hold, a snippy rep got on the phone and said that they finally canceled my membership & refunded my money. They are deceiving and dishonest but they didn't get my money!! Stay far away from these scammers!

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.) response

LegalShield provides benefits as outlined in the membership contract. We have a Provider Firm set up within each state to service the members of said state. Your legal issue originated from another state other than your state of residence. In this case, our process is to review any related documents to ensure the legal situation does get referred to the correct state as well as determine benefits of how the legal situation will fall within the benefits of the contract. We understand this process was not understood originally and not acceptable, so we cancelled and refunded your membership in full. We wish you the best.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

I attempted to cancel back in July of this year after my assigned Lawyer didn't get back with me after a couple tries. I even informed them it was over a will and time sensitive. I was also going to be involved in their MLM program but decided I could not effectively promote something I didn't believe was beneficial. I confess, I USED TO FAIL to go over my bank statements carefully but I did this month and found [in December] there was LegalShield, taking out money STILL. I guess they taught me something, always double check your statements! Everything they sent me went to spam so I had no way of knowing I was still with them.

I CANNOT PROVE THE NEXT PART but it is oddly coincidental. After, accusing them of being a waste of money and the only way they can keep people is to keep billing them when they try to leave. Somebody tried to get a credit card in my name in Detroit Michigan. I MEAN THE SAME DAY and my password with LegalShield just happened to be the same as that credit card [which I changed]. I had no problems before that...ever. But that is speculation but I can say WITHOUT A DOUBT, they gave me NO refund for all those months I had actually quit their service.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: Dec. 8, 2017

I immediately asked for a refund $140 roughly in total which according to their policy shouldn't be an issue (they don't refund the $100 state fee I had to pay when I set up with them. Isn't that swell). I got no response. They just sent me an email letting me know it was cancelled. I followed up with another email 2 weeks later asking about the refund and got ignored. So I submitted a BBB complaint, yesterday I got a call from customer service regarding that complaint stating everything was cancelled and they would refund everything minus the $10 nonrefundable fee (scam fee) and obviously the $99 state fee since that wasn't paid to them, mind you I was ok with this. I didn't expect them to refund that stuff.

However, today I looked at my bank account and have been refunded $40 total so far and CHARGED another $20 that I DID NOT give permission for! I sent them another email that was this time immediately responded to stating everything was cancelled (though they did list the wrong date for cancellation) and the refund request would be reviewed. If they post this charge I'm reporting it as fraud because I have lots of written documentation stating they do not have permission to charge me and they are too incompetent to fix this.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Dec. 1, 2017

I bought LegalShield for one thing - cover me from speeding tickets. After almost a year of paying the monthly dues, I finally get a speed camera ticket and send it in with the app. The lawyer calls me and says, "Good news. There are no points for this, so you can just pay the $40 online." I asked her if she could just get it dismissed. She responded I could request a hearing and pay $100 per hour for legal representation... Isn't that what I'm paying you for? I then asked what tickets they do get dismissed and she said she could answer that because there are no guarantees. Frustrated I just paid the ticket online. At this point I'm not seeing value for my monthly membership and will be cancelling the service.

Matthew,

Our services aren't getting tickets dismissed, we cannot guarantee that. What we can guarantee is representation for moving traffic violations that don't rise to the level of a felony. With that being said, if you were told there would be an hourly charge for representation for the ticket you received, we'd definitely love to be able to look into this for you and get some more information because that is something we do guarantee.

We'd like to schedule a time to discuss this issue with you to ensure our attorneys are delivering the services we guarantee our members.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2017

I subscribed to the credit monitoring service provided by LegalShield but was never able to avail myself to the service because of technology issues on their end. After three attempts to fix the technology issues I asked to be refunded the one month amount paid of $19.95. I received $0.66. The experience was a complete debacle. I have since easily joined a competing credit monitoring service.

Mr. Wright,

We looked into your membership, we definitely apologize for the 66 cent refund, that's not something we like to do. We're in the process of refunding the full amount of 19.95. It will be some time before the refund gets to you, due to the method of payment, we are sending a check. As for the technical issues you were experiencing, we actually were able to resolve those about 4-5 days prior to your cancellation. We look forward to being able to assist in the future if we're able.

David Sink

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

I was dissatisfied with my service, and have tried to cancel my account since JULY of 2017. It is the most impossible process ever, I am STILL being charged. They refuse to help you via phone, or email. I have even sent a certified letter to the mailing address. STILL CHARGING ME. I would NEVER recommend this service, EVER.

Lesli,

We show you had two memberships, one was canceled in August and the other was canceled in October. For the one canceled in October, we actually refunded the last two drafts because sent one cancellation request for the business membership, but not for the personal one. Both of these memberships haven't drafted in two months.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Nov. 16, 2017

Heard about Pre-Paid and now LegalShield for years - decades even. Always liked the idea of being able to ask legal questions without imposing on friends or friends of friends or posting on forums and getting people's experience but they aren't lawyers. Finally signed up recently (2017) when we had a small car accident. The staff there was very friendly, competent and talked about all the benefits - hours on top of hours for tax audits, wills, etc.

We had issues with the lawyer getting correct info into a letter they were going to write on our behalf. But the real 'catch' to this program is that they will give you hours of service, unlimited phone calls, unlimited incidents etc. But... 1 letter per incident. You pay for anything beyond that. Maybe you have something simple and 1 letter will do. But for a simple fender bender even, they did a courtesy 2nd letter when the other party sent back a letter. I could see this going back and forth in letters and costing more than it was worth. Cancelled LegalShield (which went smooth, in contrast to other's comments).

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.) response

There's no "catch" as you say, the benefits are clearly lined out on our website for any prospective member. There is no deceit or hidden agenda there. Its unfortunate you canceled your membership before the attorneys were able to fully assist. If you would ever need assistance in the future, we hope you reconsider allowing us to assist.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

I had never used an attorney when I was shown this legal plan. My brother is an attorney so I thought I always had a "hook up" if something ever happened to need one. After talking with my brother about it, I found out he only practices 1 area of law in 1 state and unless I needed help with internet commerce law, he couldn't even help me. For under $20 and no contract, I figured I had nothing to lose.

Boy was I happy a few months later when a lady ran a stop sign and T-boned us. Both me and my wife ended up in the hospital with whiplash. Because all of our injuries were "soft tissue" in nature, there were no broken bones or lacerations to show pain and suffering. It took 3 months of chiropractic visits to finally recover. At that point the insurance company offered us $1500 for pain and suffering. After consulting with my law firm, they offered to represent me or simply walk me through what to say and do to get a fair settlement. I chose to just use their advice and counsel which resulted in a final settlement of $19,000. Thank God I had quick access to one of the best attorneys in the State. Since then, I have used this service dozens of times and can't imagine life without access to my Constitutional rights.

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.) response

Dave, we couldn't agree more; whether it is the small everyday needs or larger more critical situation, you have an attorney by your side every step of the way. Thank you for your kind words!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2017

I've had Legal Shield for a short time, but have called them on numerous issues ranging from being denied 60 days for section 8 to advice on how to submit things to family court. During that time I've lived in two states. While in my original state I was often told to call the courthouse to find out the answers to my questions as every courthouse is different. In the new state they just didn't know what my rights were. The first lawyer googled it while we were on the phone to find out. While I was googling, I found information that said they have to give you 60 days by law, but she found something that said 6 months from the time you port. I called back to show I hadn't been given either, but the second lawyer wasn't aware of what the first had said, and also wasn't sure what my rights were.

I called again on a second issue with the family court and was just told there was nothing short of hiring a lawyer that could be done as I'd moved, but I wasn't told I wouldn't receive help for that state by Legal Shield before I moved. The three stars are because the lawyers were just so pleasant. I'm used to lawyers at Legal Aid hotline (not Legal Shield) yelling or being snide, or desperately calling lawyers, asking for pro bono doing the typical "how dare you?" attitude as lawyers insist on a $2,500 retainer just to start working with you, and asking for handouts is about as popular as begging for change outside a supermarket, even if in Michigan they are required to give a percentage of their time to pro bono work. In spite of only needing 20 dollars a month, at Legal Shield I was treated with dignity and respect every time I called. It was unreal how patient Legal Shield's lawyers were and how pleasant and very patient they were.

My sales representative, Angel, was also a darling man and I just wish the services had been able to help us. As for sales - I saw that someone said they were a pyramid scheme. Each old sales representative makes permanent money from the next. Each sales rep also pays $100 dollars down for a web service that will send emails and other things to your clients. I looked up why Avon and other pyramids weren't considered pyramid schemes and it turns out that if the product is sound, it can't be.

I wasn't able to see if ID Shield worked, as I wasn't on it long enough. I would have kept that part, just to see, if not for financial problems - which is why I looked into selling. I thought maybe if I sold it, I could afford to keep it. Also, it appears they honored my request for cancellation within 24 hours of my emailed (written) request, and was very happy.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

I have been paying monthly fees for this service for almost a year when I finally needed to use the service. I was referred to their firm Bervar & Jones in Hawaii because the matter was related to a condo in Hawaii. The matter was extremely simple, it involved reimbursement of 2 AC repairs totaling $1017. Right from the beginning there seemed to be lack of interest in helping me. What the attorney was very good at was to mention 2-3 times in every conversation that I need to become “their client”. I thought I already was thru Legal Shield but obviously they didn’t see it that way. With the Legal Shield membership I am entitled to free phone consultation, review of 15 pages of documents, and a free letter to the opposing party (the Condo Board) in this case.

The attorney placed obstacles at every turn making it very frustrating and difficult. She insisted I send her the entire document called House Rules where AC repairs and responsibilities were addressed only in one paragraph. I told her that, yet she INSISTED on wasting 12 pages of my allowed free 15 pages by saying she must have the entire document. There were 6 other pages that were much more important and this now put me over the limit. The outrageous part is that when it came to the draft of the letter she put together, none of the important points contained in the documents she SUPPOSEDLY reviewed, were included.

Now to the quality of the letter. It was as if a sixth grader wrote it. It even had a spelling error, it was very vague and was not pointing out at all why we should be reimbursed for the AC repairs. The information contained in the documents was very strong in our favor, such as the Board admitting that they erroneously had owners believe that AC repairs and maintenance was their responsibility when in fact it was the Board’s. Also we had an email from the property manager (overseen by the Board) stating that we will be reimbursed upon submitting paid invoices, which of course we did. Yet the Legal Shield lawyer’s letter made no mention of any of this. I was so frustrated I told them I will write the letter (which I did). Essentially it was my letter that was sent. To get this short, uncomplicated letter out dragged on for 5 weeks.

This was primarily because of unnecessary and outright stupid delays on their part. Ultimately because of all the delays the letter missed an important Board meeting on September 26th which could have resolved the issue. The next Board meeting will not take place until end of November. I complained to my home office in NJ who actually referred me to the firm in Hawaii (it is how Legal Shield is set up). They contacted the Hawaii firm to tell them how unhappy I was with their service, actually lack thereof.

I could not believe when the NJ office representative called me to tell me that the Hawaii office is not interested in doing anything further regarding this matter because “they have gone above and beyond” what they should have. LAUGHABLE AND RIDICULOUS. They reviewed more than 15 pages unnecessarily because they insisted, yet they didn’t use any of the “supposed reviewed” info in their letter. So what was the point?? That attorney didn’t know two things about the matter even at the end. And ultimately it was MY LETTER that was sent because theirs was an embarrassment. Needless to say I stopped my membership and this RIDICULOUS WASTE OF MY MONEY AND MY TIME.

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.) response

We sent this information to be reviewed by our quality department. After review, we offered/allowed benefits according to the contract. The firm needs the entire document to be reviewed to ensure they have all of the facts of the case. Also, the document review and letter sent is something that goes above and beyond the contract because it was business related. We've offered to have you referred to another firm but you declined.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

Terrible company, terrible services. Just do a Google search for reviews. LegalShield is just a pyramid scheme where they earn commissions from other people trying to sell their services. People who have never even used them. They try to weasel their way out of absolutely everything with some loophole in your contract. When they actually do try to offer advice, it is from a cheap, inexperienced lawyer who knows nothing about what he is trying to advise.

Usually the best answer you will get is "I think" or simply "I don't know." You will not get any actually useful definitive legal advice that you can use. Usually they are downright rude and unresponsive. God forbid you actually have any serious legal issues, you're better off defending yourself. They can't answer simple yes/no type questions, and are rude when they try. Even their own employees give them bad reviews, calling it a lawyer mill, citing poor working conditions, bad wages, poor management, and extremely high turnover. Just search for the employee reviews from glassdoor dot com.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

They will have their attorneys, that cannot be bothered otherwise, write very poor letters on your behalf (if you are lucky). My last 3 letters were never written and I was allegedly terminated by the company in March of this year. In the letters that were written on my behalf, one literally stated: "Mr. X (me) has informed us that you have committed malpractice. Accordingly we demand $35,000. Any payment or correspondence should be sent directly to him as Mr. X has not retained us."

And another indicated something the complete opposite. "Mr. X and his family have come down with food poisoning which they believe was contracted via your restaurant." (He failed to mention to contact me directly). The insurance adjuster for the restaurant attempted to contact him countless times, via email, phone, fax, letter yet he informed me that they had made no such attempts. This allowed the stature of limitations to lapse and no recovery to be made.

I was also sued and their defense hours are a complete joke. I was not given any hours because I "could not win". After hiring outside counsel, I won but LegalShield refuses to reimburse me. These are just a few of the problems I encountered having paid LegalShield for many years. Also note that their prepaid legal name was so severely soiled that they changed it to LegalShield in a muddled attempt at a fresh start. Same terrible company, different name. A great alternative, ARAG Legal (Google it) is actually assisting me in suing LegalShield now. I just have to pay the $250 deductible and hope that they can get around LegalShield 's forced arbitration clause. Good luck.

Mr. Hastings,

Your concerns have been fully reviewed. As indicated previously, there is nothing further we can do on these matters. LegalShield extended services according to the benefits outlined in your contract. The membership was canceled based upon the general provisions of the contract.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

Member for over 18 Years. My case is not a criminal matter - If you are in B.C and they try to make you feel like this is all your doing I here to tell you it is not you. It is THIS office! In the past this service was fantastic! In the last 2.5 years, it has turned to **! That's some ego you have TIM! I am sure he is burnt out and he needs to retire from the law! I know others have a similar encounter with him. I am not the only one who has made a report on this angry, disrespectful male. Another has shouted at me too but he was very good in the past. I will not mention his name. The reason for the 2 stars is that this service use to be top notch. It has significantly declined. I would not recommend this to people in the B.C Canada area.

It was so bad I dreaded calling with an on-going issue. I finally call head office to tell them my concerns and I get Tim to handle my issue who was told I made a formal complaint who then wants to rehash my past issues. He seemed pissed that I complained to head office. I could go on to write the whole story about this horrible experience with him but I don't have this kind of time.

Once again I call head office to say what happened AGAIN. I ask for some kind of compensation for the last 2 years of this ongoing issues and how awful it is to have to call this Vancouver office. This woman at the head office said she would look into my file and call me back. That was 3+ weeks ago. I asked to be able to speak with a lawyer in my city to help me once and for all with this very old case that will not go away without legal assistance in doing things properly. We use to get respect when we called for help. I am sure that office has about 50% of its lawyers either with a huge ego or they are simply burnt out. TIM says there is no one else I can talk to. He is the only one left. Not going to quit TIM! I have paid for this service and I want the help that was promised with my membership. You all need to STOP YELLING AT US!!!

I still don't want to call there. I wonder if they are hoping I will just quit! I would be willing to pack up and go with another firm if I can have the last 3 years of paying back as I have nothing but a bad taste in my mouth every time I want to call there. The nicest person there is the one who answers the phone. My payment is pre-authorized so I don't know how to show a receipt. The business relationship is one where I pay and get nothing back.

Barbara,

LegalShield provides services as outlined in the contract.  Our last interaction on 9/12/17 indicates you were working with Attorney Hatt on your legal matter.  We have not been made aware of any additional complications since that time.  If you are experiencing a challenge, we encourage you to contact LegalShield so that we may re-open your resolution file and work together towards a solution.   Due to client privilege, LegalShield nor the law firm can work together towards a solution without your request and consent in this matter.

LegalShield expert review by ConsumerAffairs

LegalShield provides legal services to subscribers. The company operates similar to an insurance company; members pay a monthly fee and then have access to legal services from a select group of providers. The company was founded in 1972 and is headquartered in Ada, Okla.

• Plan options: LegalShield has memberships for both individuals and families as well as businesses of various sizes. Consumers can choose the plan that bests fits their needs.

• Consumer education: The company’s blog publishes useful articles for all consumers. Topics include legal tips for pet owners, advice for disputing a bill, parental liability and more.

• Discounted rates: If LegalShield members need legal services not covered by their plan, they can use the company’s providers for rates that are at least 25 percent less than the attorney’s standard hourly rates.

• 24-hour assistance: Members can call for legal advice 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year, so they can get receive advice whenever they need it. They also have an app for both Android and Apple devices to make it easy for members to contact a provider.

• Clear coverage: Interested consumers can clearly see what services LegalShield plans do and do not cover by visiting the company’s website.

• Best for: LegalShield caters to those who want to know they have legal protection and access to an attorney whenever they need it.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs

Research Team

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.) Company Information

LegalShield
1972
Formerly Named:
Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.
1 Prepaid Way