Call toll free
2.32/5

LegalShield

formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Life is unpredictable. LegalShield gives you the confidence of knowing whatever comes your way, someone is looking out for you. Whether it's with affordable, prepaid legal service that puts a dedicated law firm on your side or identity theft protection with IDShield that's best in class. IDShield is the only identity theft protection company armed with a team of licensed private investigators on call to restore your identity With LegalShield and IDShield, you're always covered.

LegalShield's 650 employees are dedicated to serving our more than 4 million users in the United States and Canada. Protect yourself and your family today.

LegalShield Video
LegalShield Gallery (3)
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1273 LegalShield Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: May 4, 2019

WOW!!!! WHAT AN AMAZING COMPANY! I'm appalled by these negative reviews, some people expect the world for $25 a month. Lol. Seriously, just being able to speak to an attorney say 12 times in an 8 month period for a landlord situation, or being refunded $278 from Verizon for a bill dispute, being refunded $933 from Samsung for an exploding phone, recovering over $5000 from an employer who stopped paying me, getting refunded $1300 from a car dealership, and this happened to me all in 6 month. Now YOU tell me, is the service real? HECK YA it is and I will have it for life. It's cheaper to be taken advantage of than protect your rights, but not anymore. Thank you so much for changing my life LegalShield, what a true blessing. :)

LegalShield response

Thank you for taking time to share such a wonderful testimony!

Get expert buying tips about Legal Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I have been a LegalShield member for almost 5 years and I have used the membership many times. I called about two matters last month and the response time has gotten even better. Two different attorneys on two different matters called me back within an hour of when I made my call. In both matters they were able to help me understand the laws and resolve my situations. My wife and I have both gotten our wills made, taken care of speeding tickets and had documents reviewed.

My favorite and first encounter with using the LegalShield attorneys was after my teenage daughter was in a car accident. The driver that rear ended my daughter had the same insurance company as ours and they offered almost $1000 less than what our medical expenses were. I called the insurance company and was not getting anywhere, so I call the LegalShield attorneys. The attorney called me back before the end of business that day and she said she thought we could resolve this with a substantial increase with just the consultation. I agreed and she talked me through the process. I then called the insurance company back and eventually with another consultation with the attorney, increased the settlement by $5000. In essence, that paid for our membership for the next 16 years.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I’ve been a member of LegalShield for 3 years now and it’s been amazing. To be able to pick up the phone and get consultation from an attorney for the whole year for less the cost of one hour is incredible. The attorneys call me back within a few business hours and I’ve also been able to get my will done. I don’t understand the people who complain about this. Good luck trying to even get the time of day with an attorney without spending more than $300. The fact that we get more than one consultation for that price is one thing but to be able to have unlimited is what makes this so incredible. You’ve got a member with me and my family and friends for life. Thank you.

LegalShield response

Thank you so much for your time and for sharing such a great testimony. We appreciate you!

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

I have had LegalShield for years. I have used it for my will and to get it updated over five times which is included in my monthly fee. But my greatest experience was when I had to retain an attorney regarding a lawsuit. They picked up my case in 2017 regarding a real estate deficiency claim from Florida. I was being sued for over $100k. I had a previous "non LegalShield" attorney who took thousands from me and I found out got disbarred due to negligence. Frantically I called LegalShield. I am in NY but the suit was in Florida. My LegalShield attorney was very patient, sincere and helpful. The issue was a five year one from being initially served in 2014. To make a long story short, it went to trial in February 2018. How did I feel when my attorney called me at home that morning to say "You won"? There are no words. I have only had positive experiences.

LegalShield response

Frank, we are thrilled to hear about your positive experiences! Whether it is the small everyday needs or larger more critical situation, you have an attorney by your side every step of the way. Thank you for your kind words!

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Every time I call LegalShield, I get advice that is otherwise not available. There is no lawyer who wants to give advice for a fee and the advice and services are completely priceless. With LegalShield, I can call about any issue and have an attorney call me back in 4 business hours or less. Incredible! While most of the reviews are positive, I am always curious about the bad ones. How could anyone have a bad review? It is clear that almost every bad review is because someone didnt explain the services properly. When people feel misled, they make a complaint. For me, the membership has helped me so many times I couldnt imagine not having my LegalShield membership.

LegalShield response

We are so glad to hear that you have had nothing but success when utilizing your membership! LegalShield provides a great peace of mind for our members and we thank you for the amazing review! We appreciate you and your time.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LegalShield?

Original review: May 22, 2019

We were looking at adopting 4 grandchildren that we are raising and needed help. We joined LegalShield. We were told they could help with a non-contested adoption. We joined, I called the law firm that we were assigned and told that I had a 90 day waiting period before they would help. I had to pay my membership fees but could not get help with my issue for 90 days. Good deal for the company. Bad deal for the member.

As we are now moving to another state I sent in a cancellation letter cancelling my membership June 1st. Today May 22, 2019 I called my assigned law firm and was told my membership was on hold and to call LegalShield. I called and was told no services unless I re-instated my membership and that I was paid thru June 3, 2019. That I needed to email requesting a particle refund. So they stopped service 5/10, took money thru 6/3, but even thru I was paid thru June 3 they did not have provide services. If I had not called I would have paid for almost a month and had no benefits. Why do I have to request a refund. Why was it not provided when services stopped? Again good for the company. Bad for the customer.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 21, 2019

I don’t recommend this company. I have a legal problem in this moment, somebody recommended me LegalShield. I called this to this guys and they told me a attorney will contact me soon. The attorney call me back and ask for a case documents. I sent the documents for review and they didn’t call me back. I try several times to contact the attorney and then they told me they have a situations on the office (at this time I lost a week). I called back LegalShield to explain the situation and they referred me with another attorney. They told me they call me back in two days and they didn’t (at this moment I lost almost two weeks). My legal problem increases really hard. Seriously I don’t recommend this company. I went personal to another attorney and at the moment they took the case.

LegalShield response

We hate to hear of your experience and would love an opportunity to research the matter. With your approval we will file a report on your behalf based on your information provided today. Please just let us know at your earliest convenience that you approve.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I joined LegalShield last year in August. When I started, I was in the process of working on my Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration. I graduated in December 2018, and I feel as though I am ready to get started.

Original review: May 6, 2019

I signed up for LegalShield in November of 2018. When I went to use it for personal and business they could not assist me in finding an attorney in my area. I reached out to the rep that sold me the services Anthony ** and advised him that the law offices Parker-Stanbury could not assist me on my personal or business matters he assisted me on filing a complaint, HOWEVER what he submitted was that Parker Stanbury was not assisting me which was not the case. The matter is that Anthony sold me services where there are no service providers. He knowing and fraudulently sold me services that do not exist in my area. I reached out to corporate and they confirmed that they do not have any partners in the Bakersfield, and did not know why Anthony sold me the service, hence I could not get assistance because all of the partners LegalShield has are in LA and no one will drive 2 hours away for a case being personal nor business.

When I requested a full refund for selling me services that do not exist I got the runaround, Anthony would not respond to me emails nor return my phone calls. The supervisor at corporate was rude and only give me 14 day credit after I paid for months on services that do not exist, this is fraudulent a malicious bad practice so stay away from this company. I have sent several emails to Legal Shield customer services with a generic response "We received your message and will respond in 48 hours". To this day I have yet to receive an email response requesting full refund nor has a supervisor called me back since my emails are not being answered. Again stay away from this company and their fraudulent reps like Anthony **. Swindled past customer, Hilda.

Original review: May 5, 2019

I’ve been a member since 2002. Best value ever, I will never be without this membership! Great Law firms, and great customer service. LegalShield has helped my family with legal services and Identify theft protection as well. Awesome service!!!!

LegalShield response

Thank you for taking time to share such kind words.

Original review: April 22, 2019

I used LegalShield a while ago when they were called Pre-Paid Legal & the thought of how I got treated by them still makes me pretty angry. To explain, I was a broke college student and was unfairly treated by my university. I looked to take legal action & at the time looked for a low cost lawyer. Unfortunately I was a complete newbie to the “real world” at the time and trusted what came up on the internet search engines. I talked to a guy (I forgot his name after all these years), he sounded like a used car salesman, & guaranteed he’d help my issue. Turned out he was a liar & when I asked for my money back he told me I had to go through customer service.

First he put me in touch with this lawyer from Parker Stanbury who was extremely rude and condescending while telling me I had no case. I called the salesman & he got me another guy. This one was ridiculous. He sounded nervous & stuttered a lot but also told me he could not put a case together. I finally asked for my money back but they only gave me a partial refund. Being a college student with no money I took this rather hard at the time. So my advice is stay away. This was a complete bait-and-switch from a terrible bunch of scammers! It’s no wonder they changed their company name.

LegalShield response

LegalShield is a leader in the legal services industry and we pride ourselves in providing exceptional and affordable access to legal services to the United States and four provinces in Canada. We use a direct marketing approach to promote our services. LegalShield is in no way a scam. As our company has evolved, LegalShield, formerly Pre-Paid Legal, has worked diligently to improve in all aspects of service, including the training of our Independent Sales Associates. Today, much of our resolution process can be done online, however, it is still true that if a member wishes to cancel their membership, we ask that they contact LegalShield Member Services for assistance rather than the signing Independent Sales Associate.

Original review: April 20, 2019

Nothing is wrong with LegalShield on the surface; never needed to use a lawyer through them. I got the membership after seeing them advertised through work (I work in a courthouse so I figured I could trust my HR department). It is pretty expensive and since I had never used it I decided to cancel, at least temporarily. Turns out to cancel you have to mail them written notice. Ridiculous in 2019. Now instead of temporarily canceling I am canceling permanently.

LegalShield response

The LegalShield cancellation policy is such to protect the company as well as the member. LegalShield does not hide the fact that written notice is required for cancellation. This information is listed on all applications, membership benefits guides, as well as our FAQ section on www.legalshield.com. However, we do apologize if there was any miscommunication in the method to which a member may submit their request for cancellation as we accept requests via email, fax, or mail.

Original review: April 16, 2019

I became a member of LegalShield. I requested assistance on three occasions. One for a traffic violation that was to have been referred over for a "higher Level" for representation which I never received. Two: I requested assistance with a matter dealing with a civil suit which the attorney they referred me to stated he did not have time to "clean up my mess," and still deal with his clients... Attorney **. The third Brittany, last name unknown was to receive information relating to a VA claim. after submission of my documentation to her, she did not respond to my email or any consecutive emails leaving me to represent myself. During the entire enrollment, there was no representation and no assistance in ANY issue I submitted to LegalShield.

LegalShield response

LegalShield is committed to bringing equal access to justice for all. LegalShield strives to make every experience as pleasant as possible and ensure each member receives all benefits entitled to them with a LegalShield membership. In the event that an experience is less than satisfactory, members are encouraged to notify LegalShield immediately, or at their earliest convenience. At which point, a team of specialists will begin working as a liaison between the member and the law firm to find a resolution to the matter. LegalShield records indicate that the member reported the initial issue listed in the review, but the matter could not be resolved despite the efforts of our team. LegalShield is dedicated to providing nothing less than excellent service to all clients and will do everything within our ability to come to a resolution that is satisfactory to the member as well as meets the policy and benefits guidelines.

Original review: April 5, 2019

I cancelled my membership in November. They have continued to bill my credit card every month anyway. I had written confirmation of cancellation. I disputed the charges with my credit card company to no avail twice. Today I finally had to cancel my credit card because apparently no one can stop Legal Shield from stealing my money every month. They owe me $110 and I have requested they refund it to me. This was one of the worst experiences I have ever had with a company. Just to make some money on a working class person who doesn't have extra money to spare. This company should be ashamed.

LegalShield response

LegalShield hates to hear that any member might have difficulty communicating with our company for any need. We attempt to be as transparent as possible with our contact information by providing it upon sign up, on our website of legalshield.com and idshield.com, on our mobile app, the LegalShield virtual assistant (chat bot), as well as banking statements.

Unfortunately, we do not have any documentation that indicates correspondence has been made prior to today’s date regarding this membership. The company is happy and willing to look at any documentation that a member may have confirming cancellation of an account that did not process due to company error. For assistance, the member may contact LegalShield Member Services at their earliest convenience.

Resolution response: April 6, 2019

Legalshield sent me two survey's back in December of 2018. I filled both out stating my dissatisfaction. In addition, I wrote another email requesting a response to resolve the many issues. The response I received was a one sentence saying they were sorry I was unsatisfied. I have spent countless hours with their customer service whom were also extremely rude. I have yet to receive a refund for a service that didn't live up to their promises.

Original review: April 5, 2019

If you're a **, cuckold, or have an unreasonable desire to waste time or money all the while being spoken to by a supposed attorney whom lacks actual knowledge in their own field, this is the business for you! Utterly mind blowing! If you have any issues, don't waste more of your time trying to get it resolved. Customer service is even more atrocious than their legal personnel. Once again, if you're the kind of person that enjoys mental and financial abuse, go for it, if you're mentally competent and value your time and money then, run as fast as you can from this "snake oil" membership! By the way, I've called several times with valid concerns, even wrote a letter. No response. In addition, I was billed for four months after cancellation.

LegalShield response

It is unfortunate that the member felt the LegalShield service was so unhelpful in this situation. We pride ourselves in being an industry leader and beacon of hope to those who need legal assistance but cannot afford the cost of the private sector.

In addition, the benefit of having a LegalShield membership is that we have a diverse network of attorneys. In the event that a member feels there was an issue of any sort regarding service, they are encouraged to notify LegalShield, which we applaud the member for doing. LegalShield will then do the very best to reach out to the member in hopes to find a resolution to the matter.

In this case, phone calls and letters were attempted at the time that LegalShield received notice of the incident (December) with no response in return from the member until March. It’s at this point the member wished to discuss refund procedures. Call documentation indicates that a transfer was offered, but because the member was unable to hold, the Member Service phone number and email address were provided.

It’s unclear to whom the member made phone calls and sent letters, as each documented letter has a response attached to it in our files, but LegalShield has made every attempt possible to research the issue and make the situation right for the member. We believe that the success of our members is a direct reflection of our service and will do what is necessary to make the best of any situation.

Original review: March 30, 2019

Submitted my payroll to the wrong account... only to have them tell me my check had been adjusted to 1/3 of the pay when resubmitting to proper account. When called to inquire and understand why, Vicky in payroll was out-of-this-world rude and hung up on me...

LegalShield response

Independent Associates have options when they begin marketing the product as to how they would like to receive commissions. The LegalShield staff are well-versed in explaining the different options available in receiving commissions that provide a different outcome.

In addition, we provide direct deposits as a viable option to receive commissions; however, we must use the account information provided to the company at the time of sign up. If the information provided is incorrect in any way, then we are unable to change it without consent of the Associate.

LegalShield is proud to provide exemplary customer service to members and Associates alike, yet maintains a zero-tolerance abuse policy. Our representatives receive extensive customer service training to make the best of any situation. This includes active listening and tactics for defusing difficult situations. Disconnecting a call is an absolute last resort.

Original review: March 28, 2019

I'm due in court On April 4th. I signed up with the thought they would be able to help in a family law issue. I was sent to several attorneys who couldnt handle my case then sent to an attorney who wanted a 5000 dollar retainer. In the first membership year, 57.5 hours of trial time and 2.5 hours of pre-trial time are provided for trial defense. Hours increase through the 5th membership year, up to 300 total hours is the quote yet I'm expected to pay another attorney a retainer fee. I'm currently trying to get a refund and have been left on hold for 35 minutes.

LegalShield response

To address the listed concerns, we would refer to the membership contract of benefits which are available online at www.legalshield.com, and provided to each member upon sign up.

The benefit quoted is that of the Trial Defense benefit, which states, “Assistance if you or your spouse are named defendant or respondent in a covered civil action suit.” Included in the contract is a list of Trial Defense Services Exclusions. Exclusion number 3 states, “Assistance in matters relating to dissolution of marriage, separation, annulment, child custody, or other divorce or domestic related issues are excluded.”

While we at LegalShield hate to hear that our service did not meet the member’s expectations, the benefits were provided as specified in the contract. The membership has since been canceled, and a full refund approved.

Original review: March 22, 2019

It's been over 72 hours and my membership hasn't been activated. Every time I chat with an agent he/she is unable to provide further information and keep sending the same Canned Responses. You know how bad that is when I even didn't start using this service? It really gets me thinking about the future bad experiences I'll have. When I asked the agent Christoper to send me the survey he sent me the one survey to provide feedback to attorney/providers. WTF?

First of all, what is the reason of having a chat support? It was supposed to be a convenient tool but instead it wastes people time and it's very frustrating. Next time I contact LegalShield, it'll be through the phone, but not for an inquiry but to cancel and request a refund. Guys, do not waste my time, my money is going somewhere else that really cares providing an excellent customer service. Avoid this membership at all times, the bad experience starts from the membership activation and God knows what is to come.

LegalShield response

We are sorry to hear that any member might experience anything less than satisfactory customer service. LegalShield prides itself on providing the best customer service possible.

In this case, while the member’s frustration is understandable, the reason for not providing the specific information is for the safety and well being of the customer’s private information, as well as the reputation of the company.

Our online chat team is available during normal business hours to answer general information about memberships. However, as is the case with this account, the details of information must be provided via phone, as it pertains to an incomplete membership application.

LegalShield would love the opportunity to correct this situation and will do its due diligence to research the chat. We will take necessary steps to ensure any additional coaching/training is given so that the standards this company prides itself on upholding are met.

Original review: March 21, 2019

Paid $100 per month as retainer. I had new neighbors who knew nothing about me. I helped all the elderly were I lived. Without a problem. As I was helping one of them as I did entire time I lived there. The new neighbors thought I must be ripping her off. Since I am not a Maynard. One woman said that I hit her to get me evicted. This woman actually hit me with her phone. I told her I am done and went inside. That is when she reported that I hit her. This was a new woman, The mgr's mother of my landlord. Leah was the mgr who set out to get rid of me. They told my landlords this. Landlords tried to evict me. They made me lose every apartment I got. By telling and spreading the word to all the landlords. (Note: I was already in process of looking for a new place to live). Since I was already moving. Eviction did not happen in the court and dropped. Because I was already moving. My name was slandered everywhere I went. Due to this.

My atty from LegalShield called me and asked if I needed an atty. I said no. Because at this time. I did not know of any reason why. I had not been informed of my position. He did not tell me why he asked. I thought it was just a check up. He called before I found all this out. When I found out. I called and they would not represent me. They represented the other side and would not take calls from me. His secretary said to me, "We don't go against our own." So I had no atty. The free legal said and didn't realize I heard them. They had no intention of helping me. They will not go against their own. So they did nothing. Meanwhile the reason I was moving in the first place was because I was getting robbed continuously.

Why would my atty. not tell me why he actually called and why he went against me. Without hearing my side of the story. Yet I paid $100 per month for him for almost 2 years. They came to my door and talked me into their services. I was dying of cancer this whole time. I still have cancer. Still haven't died. Doing not nearly as bad as then. All this began with me seeing who tore out the copper from the walls of buildings being built and who stripped it all down. I reported it. He was the son of a very wealthy family in the area. He and his family started the rumor that I was a thief, to get even for me reporting him. MY point. Legal Shield is corrupt and ripped me off by not representing me as they should have... Even my landlord was taking things out of my home after that.

LegalShield response

LegalShield has been committed to providing industry leading service for more than 40 years. LegalShield members are charged a low monthly fee for membership, currently $24.95, which allows the member access to consultation and advice on an unlimited number of personal legal matters, including preexisting conditions. Other benefits are included, such as a preferred member discount of 25% from the attorney’s standard hourly rate for legal matters not specifically covered.

LegalShield, formerly Pre-Paid Legal, does not offer a service that would require the member pay a monthly retainer fee of $100 simply for access to services and benefits. In addition, LegalShield has an extensive and progressive referral network that, in the event described, provides members with an attorney for assistance in case of a conflict of interest. Membership benefits follow with the referral to a LegalShield attorney.

While LegalShield hates to hear that a monthly $100 retainer was paid to an attorney or firm that did not provide proper assistance, this is not in alignment with LegalShield practices. In the event that there were a LegalShield attorney acting outside of accordance with our company policy and practice, the member is encouraged to report these problems to the LegalShield home office by either visiting our website at www.legalshield.com, or by calling LegalShield Member Services via the mobile app or information provided to the member upon sign up.

Original review: March 19, 2019

ID theft and legal help $19.99 a month. Call and they say refer you to call someone else. No immediate help. Only lawyers suggest things unless you pay more money. I got legal advice for free elsewhere. Save your money. It's as bad as buying a car or house warranty from a tv ad. Scam pyramid scheme! I was dumb enough to have a friend of mine convince me to join so he could get to the next level. After a year it's impossible to quit so I change my bank account numbers at my bank to stop this scam. They say they never received my certified letters or emails so they just keep taking money out of your account even though you told them on the phone, email, and certified mail. Don't join. Play the lottery. At least you get a paper ticket instead of nothing but grief!

LegalShield response

LegalShield is a leader in the legal services industry. We provide exceptional and affordable access to legal services to the United States and four provinces in Canada. We use a direct marketing approach to market our services. LegalShield is in no way related to a pyramid scheme, nor does LegalShield condone such practices. To learn more about our view on the topic, please read this comprehensive document on http://ow.ly/nZmq30o7wO2 . You can also view LegalShield CEO Jeff Bell's open letter to the FTC on http://ow.ly/KPvB30o7wQe.

Our customers can access legal counsel and advice from qualified lawyers simply by calling a toll-free number and using our LegalShield mobile app. In some instances, the member may need or desire to be referred to an attorney outside of their Provider Law Firm, but this is not always the case. Apart from the Toll-Free Consultation and Advice, many other benefits are included, but even at the most basic level our plans allow members to have peace of mind.

Every new member of LegalShield is provided a copy of their membership contract of benefits. Within this are general provisions, including Cancellation of Contract, which states, “The Member may cancel the Contract at any time by giving notice to the Company.” Upon calling LegalShield and notifying the appropriate department that cancellation of service is requested, the member is then transferred to an automated line which offers and provides them with the current contact information to which they may send a written request that is required for cancellation. Additionally, this automated line, encourages the member to follow up with LegalShield to confirm receipt of their cancellation request within a 30-day time period, as a courtesy billing hold is placed to prevent any deductions within that time, allowing the member ample time to complete the cancellation process. LegalShield wants to make this process as easy as possible, while protecting the integrity of the company, as well as its members.

Unfortunately, records do not indicate a call from the member requesting cancellation of their membership, and therefore the instructions would not have been provided to the member. However, even without calling LegalShield Member Services, cancellation information can be found online by visiting www.legalshield.com, and by visiting the site FAQ’s, or by using our site’s search engine for the word “Cancel.”

In summation, LegalShield is not a scam or scheme, and vehemently denies any suggestion thereto. LegalShield is a reputable company with over four decades of experience and is considered a leader in the industry. Lastly, all information needed to cancel a membership is provided to members who call and request it. A dedicated team is established and well-trained to assist in these calls.

Rated with 2 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: March 18, 2019

I enrolled in LegalShield and was assigned a local law firm. I had the law firm review an important dispute for me. The law firm did draft a sort of boilerplate demand letter to the adverse party, to which there was no response. LegalShield's advice thereafter was that I take the party to small claims court. Well, duh. LegalShield completely abdicated its role as my "attorney" -- LegalShield should have filed a complaint in municipal court -- and is therefore misrepresenting its services and literally taking itself out of the equation. Don't bother. If you have a problem, contact a local lawyer.

LegalShield response

It’s very unfortunate that the membership did not function in the manner the member expected. LegalShield prides itself on being a leader in the legal service industry and expects its affiliated attorneys to always act in the best interest of the member within the confines of the law and the membership benefits. If at any point a member feels they have not been adequately or properly advised by their attorney, they are encouraged to report such matters to LegalShield by filing a report online at www.legalshield.com, or by reaching out to LegalShield Member Services via the LegalShield mobile app, or the phone numbers provided the membership information upon sign up. Thus, allowing LegalShield the opportunity to research and rectify or resolve the situation, and furthermore provide any necessary coaching/training which may improve the services provided by LegalShield and its affiliates.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I paid for LegalShield for a few months and I needed an attorney who could represent me against a pension fund that was suing me for an overpayment on my monthly pension check. The amount was fairly large so I used an attorney recommended by LegalShield. The attorney was not very good and really had no idea about pension laws. I ended up finding an attorney who worked for a non-profit that really knew the laws about companies trying to get money returned from pensioners. She worked in my favor against ATT and won the case. I think the attorneys at LegalShield are attorneys just starting out with no particular area of expertise.

LegalShield response

We partner with carefully-selected law firms across the U.S. and four provinces in Canada to make up our dedicated network. With seasoned lawyers averaging 22 years of experience, this makes LegalShield lawyers both personally invested in each member’s case and well acquainted with local laws and regulations.

The goal of course, is that every experience be beyond exceptional. In the event that the member’s experience does not meet their expectations for any reason, LegalShield must be notified at our corporate office. As stated in the contract of benefits provided to each member upon sign up, and available for viewing at any time on www.legalshield.com:

“A Covered Person should contact Member Services with a complaint or a concern.”

While we are happy to hear that the member’s situation was resolved, we are sorry that LegalShield was not provided the opportunity to research and address the concern had with our service regarding the matter when it occurred and while the membership was active.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I was out of USA from Oct. 2018, as soon as I came back in Jan. 2019 I saw too many emails from your co., so I unsubscribe all of your email. As whole Jan. 2019, I was busy getting ready to move to Missouri! so I couldn't see my Chase checking account. Today I got a chance and found out that LegalShield have charged 5 x 2 times plus 1 more for $99 one time fee ($19.98 and $24.99 to my checking account from Oct. 2018 to Feb. 1st, 2019., which I found out today only, which I don't remember to sign up for membership)!

Before leaving I gave some papers my so Vipul in Calif. to mail to you, or to Dermatology dept., who sent me wrong bills! So l cancel my membership and return my dues, you charged to my Chase Account! The Lady who introduce me LegalShield in San Ramon told me it will be free membership for 6 mos. I am on only income of S.S of $624 per month only, so can't afford to pay all your membership charges, & I was only used your service to write a letter to Dermatology Dept., San Ramon, Ca., which my son mailed or email you during my out of USA tour of 3 mos., so l understand that & return all the charges your taken from my checking acct... I already request my bank, it is some kind of misunderstandinds!---Thanks.

LegalShield response

Thank you for bringing this information to our attention. It is never the intention of LegalShield to cause financial distress; in fact, we hope to help people find independence and financial freedom through the LegalShield Associate program.

Per the contract of benefits, available online at www.legalshield.com, and sent to all members upon signup, it states:

“The Member may cancel the Contract at any time by giving notice to
the Company. Upon written request, the Member shall be entitled to be
reimbursed the unused portion of the membership fees paid for this
Contract, the amount to be calculated on a pro-rata basis over the

payment period.”

Unfortunately, LegalShield does not have record of a notification to cancel, nor is there record of having received a cancellation letter. To discuss these options, we ask members to please connect with one of our Member Service representatives at (844) 714-8494, from 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. CT, Monday - Friday.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Cancelled membership in April, they have you jump through hoops to do so. They drag their feet when you call to cancel. I was charged for 6 months I did not authorize. They will not issue refund. Theft.

LegalShield response

Cancellation procedures for members of LegalShield are defined in the contract of benefits, which are provided to members upon sign up, and available online at any time by visiting http://contracts.legalshield.com/contracts/LSCO300.118.pdf?_ga=2.42454252.854637920.1548795640-1269923232.1539010932.

Under General Provisions, paragraph S:

The Member may cancel the Contract at any time by giving notice to the
Company. Upon written request, the Member shall be entitled to be
reimbursed the unused portion of the membership fees paid for this
Contract, the amount to be calculated on a pro-rata basis over the

payment period.

Company records indicate that the member was given complete cancellation instructions via our IVR (interactive voice response) system. During this process, members are informed that a 30-day payment hold is placed on the membership. This is to allow the member ample time to send in the cancellation letter that is required by LegalShield for cancellation of the membership. It further advises members that if the cancellation letter is not received within 30 days, then the hold will lift and drafts will resume. The recording immediate follows this information with a statement that it is the member’s responsibility to confirm cancellation.

Unfortunately, it appears per the image provided by the member in the review that the initial cancellation request was sent to the wrong email address. The correct information and procedures are available online by visiting https://www.legalshield.com/faq/cancel-membership. The reason(s) as to why LegalShield is not responsible for the charges the member has incurred have been reviewed with the member by phone call and documented in the membership file.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I had been a member of Pre-Paid Legal/LegalShield for about 11 years. The advice that they usually have to offer, well don't be too optimistic and expect to be disappointed. Almost every time I had called on an issue, they had responded along the lines with "I don't know what to tell you" or something else that adds with that type of logic. Sounds like they are acknowledging that they are unknowledgeable, inexperienced lawyers. I don't remember a time when their advice helped to get me out of a jam. I only stayed with them because I didn't know of any other Pre-Paid Legal plans but now I do and I'm hooked up with another plan. I hit the end of my rope in Oct 2018. I was calling about a specific legal matter. In the past, I spoke to the receptionist and got calls back from attorneys. At this point, Sept/Oct 2018 that started to change drastically.

I called and spoke with the receptionist and I was told I would get a callback. Well, that never happened. Then I called back and got the same runaround. I was told the supervising attorney Anita was handling my matter and had to have one of the lawyers call me back and that wasn't happening. They put me in contact with Anita and I told her I was tired of the runaround. She gave me some lame story and said I was being rude and raising my voice. So would she if she was in my position. I explained my reasoning and she hung up on me. Really professional right? I called back the receptionist and I was getting really aggravated and telling them that I was paying for this service and to stop with the games. They said a lawyer would call back. Well, no callback.

Then when I called, I kept getting transferred to someone's voicemail through the receptionist and I had called honestly about 15 times in about an hour trying to reach a human, not a voicemail. I finally called another number in billing and got a human. I told her the ongoing issues and I was trying to reach the attorney. She was nice and said she would have someone call me back and that did happen. I communicated with her and she got me in contact with the attorney that I needed to talk to so I could finish my business that I started with her.

Days later I had noticed an unexplained refund on my bank account. I checked it out and yep you guessed it. LegalShield canceled my account. Without my consent or request. I called about it and they gave me some ** excuse and said they could not communicate with me. I'm not the one who fails to return phone calls. I should be saying that. They mailed me a letter about it. Then I got a phone call from them in which they wanted to be sure I knew of the canceled account. I guess they wanted to throw that in my face some more. I told the lady that I was going to make a negative review about this experience and she replied "Thank you". Like she didn't care since it was not going to impact her.

Well, the fewer the clients with LegalShield, the less revenue is collected and they have to start laying people off. Why should she not be counted into it. I'm sure that the supervising attorney Anita was behind the canceled account. There are other Pre-Paid Legal plans. Save yourself the headache and aggravation. They screw up and cancel my account like I'm being punished for bad behavior. I'm set up elsewhere and this review will follow them. Now who's being punished. At least I'm honest.

LegalShield response

To first address the concern of the account being canceled, per the membership contract of benefits, under General Provisions, paragraph R.:

R. Cancellation of Contract: The Company may cancel this Contract for
fraud, non-payment of membership fees, or if the Provider Attorney
determines, in its professional and independent judgment, that the
Named Member is unable, unwilling or incapable of accepting or
understanding legal advice and services. The Company shall notify the

Named Member in writing of any such cancellation.

In addition, a report was filed per the member’s complaint cited in this review, dated 10/15/2018. These reports are confidential, however, suffice it to say that the report is well documented of the attempts to assist the member, but to no avail. The outcome resulted in the attorney’s recommendation that the account be rescinded per the conversations had with the member in question. Multiple attorneys worked on this case and concluded the same resolution to the member’s legal matter.

In summation, LegalShield knows that our members are the company’s most valuable asset. Therefore, LegalShield attorneys will provide the best possible advice, consultation, and service according to the member’s legal matter in conjunction with the letter of the law, and are contracted to apply the available benefits as necessary to the services rendered.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

It seemed like every time I called, I was a problem. A lot has happened to me over the last few years. Some good advice from lawyers, but again you can get that from free consults. This is my review, and have dealt with LegalShield for a few years. If you get a ticket call the court if it's your first and see if they are in a good mood, not worth the money at all. There are others that define exactly what they do. No long legal documents. It's covered or not, just like REAL Insurance. IMPORTANT READ AND WATCH VIDEO. https://legalshieldreviews.wordpress.com/.

LegalShield response

LegalShield knows that members are our most important asset. We never expect our members to feel like a bother to their provider attorneys; On the contrary, we expect the provider attorney to be personally invested in the individual, no matter the severity of the case. To ensure this promise is upheld, members are able and encouraged to file a report by visiting our website any time there is a concern of this nature.

LegalShield at the most basic level allows peace of mind, which is provided by giving members access to contracted attorneys, who then give in depth consultations and advice at no added cost to monthly price of the membership. Per the contract of benefits, “Consultations are available to the extent the Provider Attorney deems it necessary to adequately advise the Covered Person on the legal matter.” This is not a service that will be guaranteed when randomly contacting an attorney from a phone book or on the internet.

In addition, advice from an attorney on how to speak to the court regarding a matter is invaluable. Attorneys have training and expertise in the ways of addressing a court on behalf of an individual that will prove beneficial to their client. Whether this is covered in full or at a discounted rated is subject to the legal matter under the contract of benefits, which is provided to the member at the time of sign up and is available for review online at any time by visiting www.legalshield.com.

No response received
Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I will not even recommend this for a billionial rather that low income family they represents. This is just a waste of money, charging $29.90 every month, but when you call them they can't help you. I WOULD ADVISE YOU TO RATHER FIND A BETTER COMPANY OR SAVE YOUR MONEY.

LegalShield response

LegalShield is a reputable company which has provided legal service plans to North American families in all 50 States and 4 Provinces in Canada for over 40 years.

LegalShield provides coverage on an array of specified legal matters outlined in a schedule of benefits which is provided to each member. Any legal matters that are not specifically covered at no added charge, are eligible for a 25%, Preferred Member Discount off the LegalShield Attorney’s standard hourly rate.

Furthermore, if any member has trouble with the service, they are encouraged per the same schedule of benefits to reach out to our home office to report said issues. LegalShield has developed a department throughout the years that works diligently between the member and the LegalShield attorneys to thoroughly research all matters, and ultimately hopes to find a resolution.

No response received
Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I am extremely disappointed with LegalShield. It use to be a great company when it was Prepaid Legal. They helped me out when I needed it but now... this company has turned into a "can not do" instead of a can do company. Every time I call they can't help me for one reason or another. After 2 months I'm cancelling my membership.

LegalShield response

The website, https://www.legalshield.com/why-legalshield/member-bill-rights, provides members with a Member Bill of Rights, a simple-to-read guide of service standards. Within this it states:

“LegalShield is committed to bringing equal access to justice for all. As one of our valued members, LegalShield will strive to make your experience as pleasant as possible and ensure you receive all the benefits you are entitled to with your LegalShield membership. We expect you will be a participant in your legal matter throughout the entire process. Please submit all information, document or details in a timely fashion to allow your attorneys to better help you.”

It is unfortunate that the membership was unable to assist in this matter. However, LegalShield, a subsidiary of Pre-Paid Legal, Inc., remains steadfast in its mission to “provide equal access to justice for all.”

No response received
Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I had LegalShield back when it was prepaid legal. I remember them being very helpful. The nice part is you get a call back from an attorney same day. Downfall is their website claims they will help with child custody, I needed advice on which papers to fill out as we wanted to do this attorney free. When we spoke with the attorney they said send us X paperwork and we will review it. We sent it right away and he reviewed it. Called us back on Within a couple days. When we tried to ask questions he said he couldn’t answer them and we need to hire an attorney. LegalShield will NOT help with child custody issues, even if its questions about which papers to file. All they do is refer you to an attorney. Which anyone can pull up Google and find one. Unless you want a paper written for scare tactics or you have speeding violations, LegalShield won't be helpful for you. They should change their website claims. Don’t waste your money.

LegalShield response

LegalShield has provided legal service plans to North American families in all 50 States and 4 Provinces in Canada for over 40 years. Our customers can access legal counsel and advice from qualified lawyers by simply calling a toll-free number.

In addition, LegalShield members have access to a preferred member discount on legal matters not covered under another benefit. Per the website, www.legalshield.com, under the description of Discounted Hourly Rates, "When we say you’re covered, we mean it. If there is a legal issue not covered by the monthly membership, don’t worry it’s covered by our discounted hourly rates." Our website provides a general review of services for which clients may use their LegalShield membership, but it does not claim that these matters are available at no added charge.

Furthermore, before signing up for a membership on www.legalshield.com, members are offered the opportunity to review a summarized version of the membership benefits available, as well as a detailed PDF version of the benefits contract.

Lastly, as a LegalShield member, we have internal measures in place which are meant to protect a member from a poor experience, or in most cases, miscommunication with any LegalShield attorney, should the member alert LegalShield of a problem.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

Atty. Steve ** was very prompt in returning my call and providing expert advice on my situation. I highly recommend LegalShield to everyone out there. It's very affordable and provides peace of mind. The process is simple and non-intimidating.

LegalShield expert review by ConsumerAffairs

LegalShield provides legal services to subscribers. The company operates similar to an insurance company; members pay a monthly fee and then have access to legal services from a select group of providers. The company was founded in 1972 and is headquartered in Ada, Okla.

• Plan options: LegalShield has memberships for both individuals and families as well as businesses of various sizes. Consumers can choose the plan that bests fits their needs.

• Consumer education: The company’s blog publishes useful articles for all consumers. Topics include legal tips for pet owners, advice for disputing a bill, parental liability and more.

• Discounted rates: If LegalShield members need legal services not covered by their plan, they can use the company’s providers for rates that are at least 25 percent less than the attorney’s standard hourly rates.

• 24-hour assistance: Members can call for legal advice 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year, so they can get receive advice whenever they need it. They also have an app for both Android and Apple devices to make it easy for members to contact a provider.

• Clear coverage: Interested consumers can clearly see what services LegalShield plans do and do not cover by visiting the company’s website.

• Best for: LegalShield caters to those who want to know they have legal protection and access to an attorney whenever they need it.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs Research Team

LegalShield Company Information

1972
Formerly Named:
Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.
1 Prepaid Way