Call toll free
4.69/5
Based on 1,029 reviews that contain star ratings

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Life is unpredictable. LegalShield gives you the confidence of knowing whatever comes your way, someone is looking out for you. Whether it's with affordable, prepaid legal service that puts a dedicated law firm on your side or identity theft protection with IDShield that's best in class. IDShield is the only identity theft protection company armed with a team of Kroll licensed private investigators on call to restore your identity With LegalShield and IDShield, you're always covered.

LegalShield's 650 employees are dedicated to serving our more than 4 million users in the United States and Canada. Protect yourself and your family today.

LegalShield Video
A+BBB Rating
View More View More

1243 LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.) Consumer Reviews and Complaints

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I am extremely disappointed with LegalShield. It use to be a great company when it was Prepaid Legal. They helped me out when I needed it but now... this company has turned into a "can not do" instead of a can do company. Every time I call they can't help me for one reason or another. After 2 months I'm cancelling my membership.

Get expert buying tips about Legal Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I had LegalShield back when it was prepaid legal. I remember them being very helpful. The nice part is you get a call back from an attorney same day. Downfall is their website claims they will help with child custody, I needed advice on which papers to fill out as we wanted to do this attorney free. When we spoke with the attorney they said send us X paperwork and we will review it. We sent it right away and he reviewed it. Called us back on Within a couple days. When we tried to ask questions he said he couldn’t answer them and we need to hire an attorney. LegalShield will NOT help with child custody issues, even if its questions about which papers to file. All they do is refer you to an attorney. Which anyone can pull up Google and find one. Unless you want a paper written for scare tactics or you have speeding violations, LegalShield won't be helpful for you. They should change their website claims. Don’t waste your money.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

Atty. Steve ** was very prompt in returning my call and providing expert advice on my situation. I highly recommend LegalShield to everyone out there. It's very affordable and provides peace of mind. The process is simple and non-intimidating.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I have had LegalShield for about 8 years. I have called them a handful of times. They never seem to be able to help with my issue. They cannot help with child custody. They cannot help with LLC (I do not have the right plan). They cannot help any of the 5 or less problems I have called about. Time to stop wasting $$.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

Conflicting information regarding if we are fully covered or will get referred to an out of state attorney for a discounted fee. I'm disgusted because I was driving a company vehicle but on my way to the airport coming home. It's a personal ticket on my commercial driver's license. Initially they said I am fully covered then when they finally contacted me again they said I'm not covered because I was at work.

We have used their referral system before and paid for time with an attorney, but simple stuff like this shouldn't be this hard to cover. Not to mention that there are only a few more days to get this resolved. I want to fight the ticket but this process is cutting it close to the line and the cost of the ticket is less than the attorney will charge but there are principles behind fighting it, plus my livelihood and insurance can be affected by just paying the ticket instead of dealing with LegalShield's shenanigans.

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.) response

We appreciate you taking time to share your concerns. We would like the opportunity to investigate this matter for you if are willing to provide additional information or visit https://legalshield.typeform.com/to/pSnMnFt to share details so we can research your matter.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LegalShield?

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

They would not handle a claim while my coverage was in place, claiming it lapsed!!! I called to complaint, they told me to write. They would not give me answers on the phone. I couldn't get a manager to answer my questions. Authorities need to look into this company.

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.) response
Thank you for the feedback and opportunity to look into this matter. We must adhere to the benefits & exclusions outlined in the contract. Any matters falling within a lapsed period of time are not fully covered by the membership.

Fortunately, we have the preferred member discount which was offered and declined according to our records.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

LegalShield is a highly effective scam that like most pseudo coverages proposes to provide protection against life issues, in this case legal issues. I've had traffic infractions that required defense and a recent civil suit. The issues are always non covered and a fee or referral required at a so called reduced rate. I had memberships since the late 90's when it was Prepaid Legal. Later it became universally known as LegalShield. It used to $16.95 per month, I believe it is now $24.95. You can use Avvo.com to ask a legal question and have various attorneys weigh-in and answer your question for free. You will also receive referrals if necessary. Avvo.com just will not write a letter on your behalf.

LegalShield works best if you are using it to protect yourself against minor traffic infractions or have them write a letter as a scare tactic. Several times I have received errant advice from their attorneys. Right now, I have been sued based on faulty advice an attorney for the local provider firm provided and I acted on. I contacted corporate regarding the issue and they deferred the final say on the matter to the law firm that provided the faulty advice to begin with. Save your $275 annually.

Resolution response: Sept. 28, 2018

A supervisor just called me and told me I was given incorrect information and they can reprint our wills. Unfortunately our first wills are still out there, somewhere, with our personal information in them which is unsettling. But I appreciate that they are reprinting the wills that I ordered from them in July.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

We mailed in our will questionnaires to have wills made back in JULY. It is now the end of September and we have yet to receive them. We canceled our membership to LegalShield last month and now they are saying we have to become members again in order for them to create the will for us... which should have been created in JULY. Total freaking scam to get us to rejoin.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

When you join LegalShield you are assigned to a provider and do not have the option to change to another that better suits your needs. Most questions I asked were immediately met with, "that's not in your coverage, you can hire us for $200 hourly" despite the fact I had the best coverage they provided. They were courteous in their language, but condescending at the same time. My disability was exploited and along with my financial status, seemed to be a deciding factor in how I was given help or advice. As a result I wasn't given any help whatsoever. The one time they wrote a letter, they addressed issues they knew couldn't be taken care of in letter form thereby causing my situation to become far worse.

My concerns were met with a complete lack of interest and were never addressed. When I requested a refund for the months I was dismissed or asked to spend $200. They refused and only gave me a few dollars for the last month. I would not recommend using LegalShield if you want any real legal help. On a positive note LegalShield's customer service representatives were very kind and did what they could to help. But their policies, are not customer friendly.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Received a moving violation ticket outside of Houston, police didn't like that my insurance card was displayed digitally. Noted it on the ticket. Even though I have insurance on the vehicle and that portion of the ticket was already dismissed in court later, conveniently to Legal Shield Ross and Matthews refuse to defend their customer in this matter of a moving violation.

After months of conflict resolution, arguing, poor customer service, and rude representatives. Especially ill-mannered and rude head of the department at Ross and Matthews - Jeff **. It was made clear that company are not interested in defending their customers but instead interested in putting as little of effort as possible. Simple matter that could have been taken care of based on the benefits advertised. After paying them every month for services and they aren't willing to perform those as advertised for a simple traffic ticket, I wouldn't trust them with anything more complicated. Someone else said this would summarize well - "They will find a reason not to represent you."

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I've been a member of Pre-Paid Legal since 1995, so I've got 23 years of experience with them. They used to be a lot better, but...this last issue has really showed how terrible it's gotten. I'll just copy and paste the actual letter I sent to the provider law firm over the issue. Here it goes... “I spoke with atty ** regarding this matter of writing a letter for me today. 1st of all I wanted to clarify something from the last communication that was sent to me via atty **. This was the 2nd draft...NOT the 3rd draft on this matter. So the opening in attorney ** last communication is wrong in regards to my personal matter.

"After talking to her a few times regarding this particular matter of mine, today is the 1st time the atty mentioned there would be a "conflict of interest" if I filed an Employee Relations Board (ERB) claim. And because of how long it's taken me to get any real help from this law firm, I went ahead and filed a complaint against my union via the ERB already. A complaint that your law firm never advised me of how and where to file.

"The prior letter atty ** had put together lacked any references to any rules, laws or regulations my union might have broken...and offered hardly any real guidance as to how I could get my union to start speaking to me again. Every time I spoke with atty **, the atty essentially would not listen to me nor the particulars of my case. And when I had important information that I needed to interject, or pointed out how she didn't even really address the crux of my issue...the atty got annoyed and the conversation would leave me with no real guidance or direction. The attorney's work product shows that clearly. The attorney's letter was essentially a plea to my union rather than pointing out the obvious violations they've committed already. A plea to a union that has already clearly demonstrated it's not wanting to do what it is charged to do, represent me in good faith.

"As a matter of fact, the 1st attorney your firm placed me with led me on a wild goose chase. The atty referred me to PERB (Public Employees Relations Board) which IS NOT the correct agency that oversees my employer. I was the one who had to do the research to find out it was the Employment Relations Board which oversees issues employees have with my employer or my union.

"How can an attorney not know how crucial it is to correctly word a document, since a single word can change the whole meaning of a document? In the attorney's 2nd draft to me, the atty wrote this sentence, "It allows the wrongdoer to continue making union members work of class," when it should have said, "It allows the wrongdoer to continue making union members work OUT of class". One word changes the whole meaning of the phrase, especially since my grievance was initially based on "working out of class" (among other things)...a very important distinction. When I asked the atty about this, the atty said "it was 7am when she wrote this...so that's why.

"I work as a heavy duty equipment mechanic for a living. If I told my employer that I forgot to tighten a bolt that held together a walkway on a piece of equipment, and someone fell as a result, how do you think they'd take that? Think the "it was 7am" excuse would work? I start work at 6am and I'm up at 3:30am every morning. When I get to work, I'm supposed to be ready to work full steam. Aside from that, I PAY for this service (PrePaid Legal). It's not something that's given to me for free. And I expect to have attorneys whom are knowledgeable with my legal issues that can give me clear, concise, knowledgeable answers and direction. And be able to CORRECTLY inform me of who/whom are the government agencies who oversee my particular issue, and can give me solid & accurate guidance as to what rules, laws or regulations my employer or union might have broken. All within a decent time frame.

"I think this issue is now ongoing for almost a month, trying to get someone from your law firm to give me good legal advice in a timely manner. Today, the law firm essentially told me to go pound sand. They sent a letter stating that they wouldn't give me any more help with the matter and that I've exhausted all of my benefits with them. Funny. They never even managed to complete the letter. And I got more information on my own than they ever provided to me. Please again...tell me what I'm paying for this service?"

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.) response

LegalShield views its members as the company’s most important asset. So when you’re not happy with the service you received, we want to know. We would love the opportunity to look into your concern and make sure you get proper assistance. Please visit https://legalshield.typeform.com/to/pSnMnF to leave us your feedback. We will look into your concern and reach out in a timely fashion to ensure satisfaction.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

Joined LegalShield about 2 weeks ago for a legal matter that has occurred in my life. Spoke briefly for a minute with an individual to send them documents. Called back to see if they had received it. I was scolded. Waited several days to get the legal paperwork stopping an issue I was having with my landlord. I was ignored for over two weeks by the law firm that works with LegalShield. Contacted LegalShield. They did nothing about the matter, finally they put me in touch after two weeks of original contact with an arrogant snot nosed attorney named Kenley ** who would not even allow me to answer a question or to explain my case or to answer anything.

I was told that I needed to shut up, that I was a petty person, and that I needed to revaluate my standing in life. He also tried to turn Tony Robbins and tried to tell me how to live my life and my moral constitution as a person. Then he just hung up when the clock hit 4:49 pm. Just like when they call you 5 minutes before 5 pm and claiming that they are closing the case because you are not returning their calls and yet as soon as you call them back guess what? They are closed, so you leave a message, then you try again the next day and leave a message with the secretary and they never return your call.

I have two friends who are attorneys. They just moved out of the state and are not able to practice here, luckily both of them inform me that I do have a legal right and that my case is not hogwash or petty. The amount of insults I have had one single individuals throw at me after paying a company to help me is unbelievable. Luckily I had people around me hearing this guy speak to me and comfort me that he is off his rocker and has some serious mental issues.

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.) response

LegalShield Corporate Offices were made aware of this matter before this review was posted and have taken the proper steps and procedures to assist this member in the best way possible. There has since been a resolution as LegalShield has been in contact with Mr. Wyatt to ensure his satisfaction.

Insufficient response received
Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

I contacted LegalShield for an issue that I was having with my landlord's management company, Meybohm Realtors. My air conditioner stopped working (June 3rd 2018) and it took them a week to replace it but when they finally did, it wasn't installed correctly and caused my electric bill to be extremely higher than normal. I contacted Meybohm almost daily complaining about the unit, that it wasn't working properly and after several weeks of enduring 90 plus degree weather, they (Meybohm) sent out a Rheem representative. The Rheem Representative stated that the unit was not installed correctly and there were several things that needed to be done over before the unit could cool properly. The unit was finally repaired properly on the 27th of June. During this entire time the unit was running constantly causing a rather large utility bill for myself.

I called LegalShield and was assigned a lawyer (to try and get my money back from this huge utility bill that I received) who at first was on it but after several miscommunications I was assigned to another lawyer. Fine, the new lawyer and I discussed the case and everything was moving forward. A couple of missed calls later, I was dropped again. This seems to be a trend for LegalShield, it's like they really don't want to take your case. I have called and had to wait several days before anyone called back but let them call you and you can't return the call right away, you get (dropped!) reassigned and have to start all over again! But they can accept the monthly payments with no problem at all.

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.) response

LegalShield views its members as the company’s most important asset. So when you’re not happy with the service you received, we want to know. Please visit us on https://legalshield.typeform.com/to/pSnMnF to leave us your feedback. We will look into your concern and reach out in a timely fashion to ensure satisfaction.

Resolution response: July 27, 2018

I finally was able to speak with someone from the company but they really couldn’t do anything without me providing lots of more personal information etc etc. however they were able to tell me the name of the person who stole from me and his account number. Will turn this information over to the fraud department at my bank.

Original review: July 27, 2018

ZERO stars. I got a notice in the mail yesterday that LegalShield charged an unused savings account of mine for whatever. Since it is an unused account and has the minimum $5 balance the bank charged me $32.50 to pay this fraudulent charge. I contact the company and my email address is not affiliated with any of their accounts. Obviously someone stole my identity and somehow got ahold of my account number which is an unused account. Absolute fraud.

Original review: June 30, 2018

I have been a member of LegalShield for several years now. I called LegalShield in 2015 for the name of an attorney to represent me in a lawsuit against the owner of mobile home park that we live in. The park manager made me help her and her boyfriend trim a damn tree and I was injured trimming the tree. I did not want to help the park manager for several reasons one being the fact that she and her boyfriend had been drinking all day and continued to consume alcohol while we were working but I do not drink. Also the boyfriend had no clue how to trim a tree properly and he was cutting 20 to 25 foot branches off at the trunk of the tree instead of cutting them in smaller sections. I told them the tree was too big and they needed to call professional tree trimmers. I turned and started to walk away but the park manager grabbed my arm and threatened me so I was forced to help.

I was made to hold a nylon rope without gloves and I also did not have proper footwear on. I told the park manager needed gloves and better shoes but she would not let me go to my trailer and get the proper gear I needed to help her and her boyfriend trim the tree. I ended up with both of my feet broken. I called the main law group and was given the name of a law firm to use to sue the mobile home park's owner for my injuries.

The lawyer I used ended up throwing my case away basically. He decided not to tell the judge of Fulton County Ohio or the judges at the Appeals court that the two people who threatened me to force me to help them were drunk and continued to drink the whole time we were trimming this damn tree. He said it was not important neither was the fact that the Fulton County judge had been my father in law's divorce lawyer when he divorce my mother in law over 20 years ago and the attorney and my father in law did not part on good terms but my attorney said it was no issues that the judge kept moving my court date. The judge made me and the insurance company do the mediation thing which failed as we knew it would. The judge moved my court date again the same day the mediation failed. The attorney I was using kept telling me the judge was not bias though.

The park owner sold the trailer park right before the first meeting my lawyer had with the judge but again my lawyer did not do anything about it. So we ended up in the appeals court in Toledo Ohio and me and my husband sat in the courtroom and watched my attorney lose my case. If I had not known better I would have thought my attorney had never been in court in front of a judge before in his life. He did not act like an experienced attorney. He stammered and hesitated a lot. He did not have his paperwork in order. My lawyer did not use most of the information I gave him. He never questioned any of my witnesses or my husband. The only deposition that was taken was mine. Now the only thing left to do is go before the Supreme court and that costs $35,000 to $45,000 to do and I just do not have that kind of money.

My attorney also had us give the firm $2,500 to put into a trust for an expert witness but he took $900.00 of the money to get my medical records. I did not find out about it for quite some time afterwards. I called him and requested he return the money to us and that is when he told me what he had done. My case was very winnable had LegalShield referred me to a real attorney with ethics, a little skill and respect for the clients. I have a plate in my left foot and a screw in my right foot and one of my doctors had me on ** to stop smoking but she left me on ** for 8 months and I now have a pacemaker because the drug screwed up my heart.

Now I have to have the pacemaker for the rest of my life because my heart stops for short periods of time that were getting increasingly longer each time my heart stops. My heart stopped for 7 seconds then beat a few times then stopped for another 9 seconds which caused me to pass out and that is what caused the doctors to put in the pacemaker. But my attorney would not bring the heart issue up to the judges either. So basically LegalShield and their poor excuses for lawyers ruined my chance of EVER getting any kind of compensation for my injuries that have caused me so much pain and ruined my life. So I would never recommend LegalShield to anyone. This company has a great scam going on so PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT FALL FOR THE LIES AND POOR EXCUSES FOR LAWYERS this company uses.

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.) response

We sympathize with Mrs. Blevins situation and have looked into this matter extensively. The membership provides for access to an attorney who can assist with the legal matter at hand. If the member chooses to retain that attorney, it is at their discretion and choosing. We cannot, as no attorney or firm can, guarantee the outcome of any case.

Original review: June 30, 2018

I tried logging in to IDShield with my ID membership number, birthday, name and address and it does not find my info. I cannot find my member ID for LegalShield though I get the email every week. I have been a member I think since 2015 Maybe longer. I pay autodraft every month and have for years. Why is my IDShield number not recognized? I got if off an update letter from y'all. I just wanted to find out my LegalShield membership number, now I want to know why none of my info is recognized.

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.) response

LegalShield and IDShield have separate websites that require a specific membership number for each site. LegalShield offers technical support for both of the websites, which can be provided by calling during normal business hours of 7-7 CST Monday-Friday. We hate to hear you were having trouble logging into one of the websites and we would love the chance to properly assist you!

Original review: June 21, 2018

My husband signed up for legal shield thru work. Filled out the package and application and approx 2 weeks later we received a package in the mail with our account information. Imagine our surprise when we opened the package to find that we had been linked to an old account (opened without his knowledge) with his ex wife as the prime contact and listed as spouse.

This is a woman that has been guilty of identity theft herself and we have spent years and large amount of money to get away from legally and here a company that was supposed to do just that linked us back up! I can only how she didn’t log onto the account in the time it took to close the account down. I am shocked this could happen from a company selling identity protection! When asked if there was not a policy to confirm with someone when their social was linked to an account with different information (address/spouse/phone numbers/employer absolutely everything was different) the response we received was “no why would we do that?”

Original review: June 20, 2018

LegalShield won't allow for written communications, it's all verbal, all smoke and mirrors. I was told they don't issue written communications due to liability reasons. If they are issuing advice, written communications is exactly what I need, not verbal communication that can be skewed. I am going to cancel my service.

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.) response

We appreciate you bringing this to our attention, and would love the opportunity to fully look into this matter for you! We would just need your permission for the LegalShield Corporate Office and your Provider Law Firm to be in contact with you in regards to getting this resolved. Your satisfaction is extremely important to us and we are willing to do what we can to ensure you are being taken care of properly. Thank you!

Resolution response: May 25, 2018

They said that its clearly stated on thier website, which when i was looking for it it said call and nothing more. They said it is in the contract... which 90% dont read.... so oh well. Im suprised at getting a response so ill update it for that reason. Also i have not had any more attempts of payment from my card.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I'm giving 2 stars because of the difficulty of cancelling. You have to call then they talk about all the benefits you'll lose and this and that when all you want to do is cancel. After 5-10 min of a rep trying to talk you out of cancelling you are transferred to an "automatic cancellation line" Which just tells you, they won't cancel without written consent. Which you can send in via email, fax, or mail. This is ridiculous. It's clear that this long and drawn out process is purposeful in an attempt and making you just simply give up and keep the service. You can't just cancel. It's impossible. And even after emailing, there is no automatic cancelling. You have to wait, meanwhile your card can still be charged.

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.) response

LegalShield's cancellation policy is stated on our website as well as in the benefits contract that is sent to each member, clearly explaining a written notice is needed to properly cancel a plan. Upon calling in to request cancellation a member is explained what services they will be giving up, as many members are not aware of the many benefits they have available to them. Once LegalShield is notified of a member wanting to cancel, a billing hold is placed on the membership to provide enough time for a written notice to be received and then a membership will fully cancel once that written request is confirmed.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: May 21, 2018

I was a member and sales rep for Pre-paid Legal and when I got hurt and needed their help they told me they could not help me. Only if I'm being sued can they help me. I told him that's why I have property insurance so why would I need Legal Shield. Anyway I went to use them and they wanted to charge me outrageous fees. This company is nothing more than a scam and everybody should be concern especially the dopes that they have out there selling this crap!

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.) response

As a member of LegalShield, formerly doing business as Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc., trial defense benefits are available if you are the named defendant in a civil suit. If you are the Plaintiff, there are benefits available depending on the details of your case which can include consultation, document review, and the preferred member discount. This information is made available in the benefits contract that is sent to each member and at www.legalshield.com

Original review: May 11, 2018

This company takes advantage of people who don’t have enough money to get by. I signed up to sell LegalShield because someone took advantage of my financial position, made me trust her, and led me to believe the service could “sell itself”. Before my first month was up I had reached out to my family, I had my parents reach out to friends, and I even went as far as to ask my friends if they’d share some info with their parents. They all said the same thing: that sounds unnecessary. And they’re right: this company has families buy into a service at about $50/month for 12 months a year. Unless you are constantly getting in trouble with the law, $600 yearly legal fees for NOTHING if you end up not needing an attorney is ABSURD.

With about 11 days left in what I THOUGHT was a 30 day trial in a $249 investment in “marketing services” the company offers associates, I contacted them about backing out. At this point, they informed me that there was only a 5 day trial for me to get any money back. I feel deceived, misled, and taken advantage of this company. Shame on them. Do not become an associate if you think you can make a dime by “just sharing info with friends and family!” (The truth is they want you to spend MORE to be certified to present & sell to small businesses). Scam artists at their finest, they know that associates like me do not have the time or money to file a class action lawsuit.

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.) response

When a prospect elects to sign up to become a LegalShield Associate, there are initial fees outlined in the agreement and explained to the prospect. There is a 5-day refund policy which allows the new associate to review the information and if they determine this is not a business they would like to pursue, then it can be refunded in full. Currently, there is not a 30-day trial offer when becoming a LegalShield Associate.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: April 26, 2018

Checking my credit card statement and found two charges of $99.00 and $9.95 from LegalShield, a company I had never done any business and never even heard of. Called the company, explain to a representative of what happen. He asked for my credit card number to look up the charges, which he found, apparently someone I never heard of used my CC information to purchase services from LegalShield. I told the representative that I did not know this person. I did not authorize these charges. The rep told me to file a police report and call the bank, but they were going to charge my card anyway. I called my bank and cancelled the CC, and I'm disputing the charges. This all happen today, so I will see what happens. I would stay clear of this company, seems like a scam.

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.) response

We will certainly look into this matter and refund any monies taken without your authorization. When LegalShield receives an application to become a member and/or to become a selling Associate, we process the application as requested. We are a legitimate and respectable company who has been doing business for 45 years and certainly not a scam of any sorts.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: April 23, 2018

I clearly asked the associate selling me the product "what is the refund policy." He said 30 days trial period. I called two weeks into signing up, and LegalShield say "starting April 1st, it is 5 days cancellation policy." Huge scam.

Insufficient response received
Original review: April 9, 2018

When in need of legal service Legal Shield “ALWAYS” denies to represent me saying it’s not covered. The last instance is I have been refused representation for a speeding ticket I received. I’m beginning to wonder what is actually covered and what I’m paying for!! However they do give me the option to obtain representation at a discount.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: March 29, 2018

LegalShield assigned a law provider to us for a consultation for a tenant/landlord dispute. We vacated our four year rental home on the false pretenses that the landlady wanted to move in. She rented the property within two weeks of our departure. The greedy landlady also retained our $1200 security deposit. We left the house in pristine condition, had the premises move-out detailed cleaned by a team. We took 32 photos of every room and appliance to proved the condition. There were no damages or breakages. The case was handed to an attorney who mishandled the trial prep from the start and was subsequently fired after incompetent work and the complaints of multiple unhappy clients, What we were told "appeared to be a straightforward case,” we paid the $2300 represented as the fee for 10 hours work. We were led to believe that there would be no further charges.

We lost the case (however we prevailed meaning the Judge ruled in our favor but cut the refund). We were also granted all "reasonable" attorney's fees. And only received $86 from our security deposit after our LegalShield provider's attorney dismissed a vital witness (an realtor agent) who was subpoenaed and appeared in Broward County Court (FL) to provide testimony. Now there were a further three lawyers assigned to our 'simple' case who were in turn either fired or resigned. The Defendant hired an attorney even though we offered to surrender the complete deposit to her. This being the reason we sought help from LegalShield.

Now the assigned Law firm (not prepared to state the name for obvious reasons) is saying we owe a further $6900. This is simply "daylight robbery". This is unacceptable the creative. My wife and I are both Senior citizens who have never been sued and this fight of our security deposit to be rightfully returned is our very first lawsuit. We believe strongly to "do no harm" to anyone but feel the compulsion to seek legal assistance for Justice to prevail. Now we have been slammed by the LegalShield Law firm who has retained all of the downpayment and installments of our legal fees (they are saying this is to cover their "balance".) This is not right!!! We have been doubly wronged.

Please someone take action to have this situation rectified. We low income family struggling to make it from month to month, as are many other families out there. We would like to have someone please look into this matter and transmit this Consumer complaint to LegalShield. We have now discontinued our membership and only had only other minor matter involving a letter sent on our behalf to recover a check issued to us without funds. Thank you.

Original review: March 10, 2018

I am a LegalShield member, I greatly enjoy my membership, it is very helpful if you know how to utilize it. It's not a magical fix all overnight solution, which is what I'm assuming most people think when they purchased their memberships. It's not free, no lawyer is just going to represent you for nothing but it clearly states in the sign up process that members are guaranteed a 25% preferred member discount from the lawyers they're referred to, you still have to spend out of pocket money for legal representation.

However if you need letters written or documents reviewed, a living will or power of attorney those are free under the membership. Pre-existing legal matters like unpaid parking tickets, divorce, child custody etc. Pretty much anything that requires a lawyer to physically be present in court would fall under the 25% discount benefit. Though you will still be paying significantly for legal representation -as would anyone needing legal representation- you're paying less for any of these matters than you would be without the help of LegalShield.

I purchased my membership out of New York and I have to say in the 4 months I've had my LegalShield membership I've have gotten loads of significant advice from the law firm out of New York, and as a father being able to get my last will and testament done for free thanks to my membership as to where if I were to have one done up by some random lawyer it would cost me upward of 100s-1000s of dollars is just awesome! Having them write letters on your behalf to get collections agencies etc to stop harassing you, even more powerful. Get the membership, learn how to utilize it properly and I promise you won't be let down! Legal matters don't get better overnight and nobody is going to represent you for free other than public defenders or conflict defenders. LegalShield provides quality law firms and yes you are going to have to pay money but it's a lot less than what you'd pay without the membership! Be smart. Use your heads my dear people! :)

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.) response

Thank you so much for your kind words and we are so glad to hear that you have received great assistance with your legal matters! We greatly appreciate you being a member of LegalShield!

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: March 3, 2018

The first lawyer I was assigned, Mark ** of Rockford could not read the documents I gave him. The second lawyer assigned was Frank ** of Batavia who had me drive 60 miles to tell me he would not drive that far to represent me. The third lawyer I was assigned, Steven ** of Skokie has some serious negative reviews concerning his lack of honesty by former clients. I was able to talk briefly with him twice. I emailed him all the court documents he needed. After that, many messages I left with him was a waste of time. We had an agreement that I would call him March 2, 2018. I called him twice that evening. He ignored me. LegalShield's law firm, Shimanovsky & Moscardini, Ltd. refers you to a lawyer they don't screen, obviously.

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.) response

LegalShield views its members as the company’s most important asset. So when you’re not happy with the service you received, we want to know. We are not showing a concern has been filed on this matter, meaning we were not made aware of this members issue. Please visit https://legalshield.typeform.com/to/pSnMnF to leave us your feedback. We will look into your concern and reach out in a timely fashion to ensure satisfaction.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

Have been a member since 1985 and have been happy with every situation the attorneys handled. It was quick, and resolved. We were able to save thousands of dollars because of the membership on one situation alone. Would NEVER be without it. Thank you LegalShield!!

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.) response

We are so happy to hear about your satisfaction with our service! Thank you for being a member all these years! We greatly appreciate you!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I've had LegalShield for 7 years. I have always thought they were amazing. Until today. I called LegalShield for an extremely important matter yesterday, 02/15/18, and they told me a lawyer would be in touch with me between 1-8 hours. That normally happens. However, no lawyer EVER called. So today, 02/16/18, I called LegalShield 5 times to speak to this attorney, Michelle (I only know her name because the receptionist said it), and the receptionist tells me she's always on the phone. So now it's after 5, on a Friday, and a lawyer has never called me, not once. This is the first time LegalShield has ever done this to us, but it's enough!! This legal matter we're dealing with is important and them ** around is costing us time. We've paid for this membership for 7 years, and now when we need them they suck!!!

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.) response

LegalShield views its members as the company’s most important asset. So when you’re not happy with the service you received, we want to know. Please visit https://legalshield.typeform.com/to/pSnMnF to leave us your feedback. We will look into your concern and reach out in a timely fashion to ensure satisfaction. Please keep in mind that to preserve confidentiality, communication will be made only with the affected member.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

This membership is amazing! Once I realize that attorneys don't magically fix the situation things got a lot better. My expectations at first was they were going to fix everything then after speaking with the person who sold me the plan I completely understand what the membership is and how to use it. I love it.

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.) response

Travon, we are so glad to hear that you are enjoying your membership! LegalShield is a great service to have should you ever need assistance, thank you for being a member!

LegalShield expert review by ConsumerAffairs

LegalShield provides legal services to subscribers. The company operates similar to an insurance company; members pay a monthly fee and then have access to legal services from a select group of providers. The company was founded in 1972 and is headquartered in Ada, Okla.

• Plan options: LegalShield has memberships for both individuals and families as well as businesses of various sizes. Consumers can choose the plan that bests fits their needs.

• Consumer education: The company’s blog publishes useful articles for all consumers. Topics include legal tips for pet owners, advice for disputing a bill, parental liability and more.

• Discounted rates: If LegalShield members need legal services not covered by their plan, they can use the company’s providers for rates that are at least 25 percent less than the attorney’s standard hourly rates.

• 24-hour assistance: Members can call for legal advice 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year, so they can get receive advice whenever they need it. They also have an app for both Android and Apple devices to make it easy for members to contact a provider.

• Clear coverage: Interested consumers can clearly see what services LegalShield plans do and do not cover by visiting the company’s website.

• Best for: LegalShield caters to those who want to know they have legal protection and access to an attorney whenever they need it.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs Research Team

LegalShield (formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.) Company Information

LegalShield
1972
Formerly Named:
Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.
1 Prepaid Way