Find a Legal Services partner

Help me decide
  2. Legal Services

LegalShield

formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.

3.7/5 (187 ratings)
Find a Legal Services partner

Get access to verified lawyers today

Ask for help 24/7 on JustAnswer

Get Started

About LegalShield

More than 4.1 million members have turned to LegalShield for advice on estate planning, consumer and credit protection, benefits disputes and auto and driving issues. LegalShield assists families, individuals, small businesses and human resources professionals with legal problems related to immigration, personal injury and financial concerns. LegalShield offers services in all 50 states and four Canadian provinces, and the company partners with law firms to answer legal questions and provide legal help.

Pros

• 24/7 emergency legal assistance
  • Serves individuals and businesses
  • Affordable legal plans

Cons

• Can’t pause services
  • Membership costs vary by region

Bottom Line

LegalShield partners with law firms in the U.S. and Canada to offer assistance with everything from speeding tickets to court representation at an accessible price point.

Top LegalShield Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

From day one had my husband's and my own wills done immediately saving us approx $1,500 as well as financial power of [attorneys]. I wish I had found this service years ago. Amazi...

Verified

I love my LegalShield Membership. I saved over thousands in just less than one year with the cost of my membership compared to the price I had to pay a lawyer for “one” car accide...

Get access to verified lawyers today

Ask for help 24/7 on JustAnswer

Get Started

LegalShield membership

LegalShield provides regular access to legal teams in exchange for a monthly membership fee. The company offers unlimited legal advice within customers’ monthly membership plans, which lets clients call their law firm without worrying about going over a certain amount of time or number of calls.

During consultations, clients can get help starting legal documents, submitting traffic tickets or reviewing documents up to 15 pages. Tech-savvy clients who prefer to have legal assistance at the tip of their fingers benefit from LegalShield’s mobile app, which is available for Apple and Android phones. Members can also access emergency legal services through the app.

LegalShield services

• Real estate
  • Starting a business
  • Traffic violations and accidents
  • Trial defense

Unlike some competitors, LegalShield attorneys can defend and represent you in court, a service that is complimentary for members. While you’ll always work with the same law firm, you might not always work with the same attorney — each lawyer has their own area of expertise.

The membership also includes perks like 8% savings on eligible Verizon Wireless plans and 15% on Harry & David orders.

LegalShield plans

LegalShield offers several different plans catered to different needs. Pricing varies from state to state, but we gathered starting costs and features for LegalShield’s legal services in California to give you an idea at the fees and services you’ll be looking at:

LegalShield Personal Plan
The LegalShield Personal plan starts at $24.95 a month and is designed for individuals and families looking for personal legal advice. The plan includes:
  • Unlimited consulting
  • Speeding ticket assistance
  • Unlimited contract review (up to 15 pages)
  • Will, living will & power of attorney
  • IRS audit legal services
  • Residential loan document assistance
  • Collections, warranties and guarantees
Small Biz 10
The Small Biz 10 plan was created for businesses with 10 or fewer employees looking for small business advice. The starting monthly cost is $39, which includes:
  • Legal consultations
  • 20 attorney calls and letters per year
  • 20 contract/document legal reviews per year
  • Five debt collection letters per month
  • Designated business consultations
Commercial Drivers Legal Plan
The Commercial Drivers Legal Plan starts at $32.95 a month. It’s designed for licensed commercial drivers looking for representation and coverage. The plan includes:
  • Coverage for member and spouse
  • Traffic accident representation
  • Moving violations defense
  • Defense of non-moving violations
IDShield Individual
The IDShield Individual plan helps individuals and families looking for identity theft protection. The plan starts at $12.95 a month and includes:
  • One-bureau credit monitoring and alerts
  • Unlimited consulting
  • $1 million in identity theft insurance
  • 12-month credit score tracking history
  • 24/7 access to customer support

The Small Biz 10, Commercial Drivers and IDShield plans offer additional tiers for clients in need of larger packages and services.

LegalShield pricing

LegalShield offers four monthly membership plans that start at $24.95, and additional add-ons start at $9.95. On average, an independent attorney charges $150 to $400 an hour, meaning partnering with LegalShield could be a big money saver.

All of the company’s plans include unlimited consultations, trial defense services and document reviews. Add-ons like a trial defense supplement, home business supplement or gun owner’s supplement are also available.

LegalShield FAQ

How do I cancel my LegalShield subscription?
Members can cancel their LegalShield subscription at any time and receive a refund for any unused portion of their membership. There are three ways to cancel: call customer support, email customer support or send a written letter.
Will LegalShield hold up in court?
Yes. LegalShield works with bar-certified, independent law firms in the U.S. and Canada. The company has more than 900 attorneys in its network who assist with multiple legal matters, including trademarks, patents and copyrights.
Does LegalShield cover criminal cases?
Yes, LegalShield’s legal plans cover members and their spouses in trial defense cases, and the company can assist with most cases in criminal law.

Is LegalShield worth it?

LegalShield is worth it if you frequently need to consult an attorney and are looking for a budget-friendly option. We recommend the company for individuals, families, small businesses and HR professionals who have a monthly need for legal assistance. LegalShield doesn’t offer the option to pause subscriptions, so clients pay for the month regardless of whether they use the services. If you, your family, or small business require the help of an attorney on a consistent basis, then LegalShield is an affordable choice.

LegalShield Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LegalShield?

Original review: Nov. 9, 2020

Been member for over 13 years, Learned a lot from this membership, save me many time money and time, It's great with traffic tickets, I got traffic ticket and fax them my ticket, they took care for online school and they guarantee no any point in my driving record, also they present me in the court, they contact me after 4 weeks with big, "Congratulation your ticket been dismiss," I did absolutely nothing other than faxing my ticket to LegalShield. They did 15 page documents review and advice me for my right with zero cost, Unlimited attorney access for any legal matters. They never late with response. What worth when you feel there is power full Legal Office standing for you in your bad days?

Original review: Oct. 14, 2020

I will never be without this service! The law firm has helped my family to save thousands of dollars over the last 15 years. Having an app to reach a lawyer 24/7/365 for emergencies is great peace of mind. This service can be used in every state, so no matter where you are in the U.S. they can help you. The member perks are awesome too. We also use the IDShield service. They can be reached 24/7/365 too if our identity is stolen.

Get buying tips about Legal Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

I am so honored to have the opportunity to recognize Alyssia ** with Legal Shield's Member Support Team #**! She not only went above and beyond to help my clients but she even went so far as to call them to ensure they were satisfied, had personal service and set an appointment with them the following day for follow up. It is because of customer service representatives like her that make me SO very proud to represent our organization! Thank you Alyssia! I am honored to have met you!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

On one occasion I had co-signed for a Credit Card for my God Child and her husband's business. We had a falling out and they started to use the business credit card to buy personal items including a $17,000 truck for the husband to drive around in after he crashed the business truck. They stopped paying the Credit card bill and at $28,000.00 it went into default and they came after me. I called my LegalShield law firm Merritt Webb in South Carolina and after explaining everything they wrote a letter to the credit card company stating I would be happy to pay them back after they sent me all the signed receipts that had been charged on the account. I

had never made a single purchase with this car only purchases made had been either my God child or her husband. Since the letter was received I have heard nothing from the credit card company and have not had any negative reports filed on my credit report. Getting my LegalShield lawyer involved got me out of a $28,000 debt that wasn't mine. Thank you Merritt Webb and LegalShield all for $19.95 a month.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

We recently found out that we had over-paid on our property taxes and, when we called the L.A. County Tax Collectors office, they looked up our file and agreed that we had overpaid. However, because we didn't bring it to their attention within a specific time period, they told us that we lost our right to a refund. BASICALLY, THEY SAID THAT IT WAS OUR MONEY, BUT ON A TECHNICALITY, THEY WERE KEEPING IT! Talk about frustrating!!!

So we called our LegalShield provider law firm and they promptly assigned a real estate attorney to assist us. After consulting with him, he wrote a scary demand letter to the tax collectors office which gave the appearance that we had hired, AT GREAT EXPENSE, one of the biggest, baddest law firms in the state to get justice. (And we didn't even have to pay for the stamp that went on the envelope!!) A few weeks later, we received in the mail a check from the county for over $3,900! That one letter alone paid for our LegalShield membership for over 10 years. THANK YOU LEGAL SHIELD!

Original review: May 10, 2021

$40.00/month for legal services sounds great, right? Absolutely!... if it's true. I used this service for 12 months. The quality of work by the attorneys was absolutely awful. Your membership is supposed to include one hour of research time on top of free consultations. It's supposed to also include the review of documents less than 15 pages for free.

Here's what you actually get: 1) 90% of the consultation time is spent listening to a legal licensee constantly plug why you need an attorney and why you need to pay thousands of dollars for more "discounted services", which are not discounted at all compared with fair market value. 2) When you ask legal questions, you're constantly told that the questions are not specific enough and, therefore, will require an hourly rate for "researching". 3) The review service is terrible. A few chicken-scratch notes with absolutely no suggestions on how to better a contract.

If you're looking for legal advice for your business, I recommend this. 1) Follow the 10 commandments and BE GOOD TO PEOPLE. This solves 99% of your potential legal issues. 2) Read the state and local laws governing your business. 3) Set up the business with asset protections. If you get into legal trouble with the business and cannot settle for a reasonable amount, bankrupt the business and start over. Keep in mind this fact, even a bad attorney charges an average of about $300.00 per hour. Small claims court caps are usually $10,000.00 or less. THAT CAP IS LESS THAN 40 BILLABLE HOURS, a mere one week of work.

Original review: March 22, 2021

Need information on restraining order and obtaining legal conservatorship for spouse with dementia. Called first thing in morning and sat around phone all day. Called back two more times to see when they would call. Lots of promises but, no call. So now I have to go to court unprepared.

Original review: March 5, 2021

Such a waste. I signed up through my employer and have never even been able to access my account or look at exactly what the benefit is. Tried customer service several times, still no access to my account.

Original review: March 4, 2021

Got a lawyer for a speeding ticket. They did nothing to help. I don’t think they even bothered. On top of it the lawyer was out of state. I thought these were supposed to be local lawyers? It was so disappointing and too late to hire a local attorney. I have never experienced having a lawyer in a speeding ticket case not be able to help someone. If lawyers can get off wife beaters and murderers you’re telling me you can’t help someone with a speeding ticket?! Trash. Pure trash.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

When you need their legal services, they will send you to a law office near you for consultation. If you get into an agreement with LegalShield and wish to terminate your contract, make sure you write down the day, time and name of the agent you spoke to, and also make sure to send an email to support@legalshieldcorp.com. Then, have them acknowledge it. Otherwise they will keep charging you and if you complain they send you to the small letter of the agreement. Good Luck.

LegalShield Company Information

1972
    Formerly Named:
    Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.
    1 Prepaid Way