LegalShield

formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.

1.4/5 (41 ratings)
Find a Legal Services partner

Get access to verified lawyers today

Ask for help 24/7 on JustAnswer

Get Started

About LegalShield

More than 4.1 million members have turned to LegalShield for advice on estate planning, consumer and credit protection, benefits disputes and auto and driving issues. LegalShield assists families, individuals, small businesses and human resources professionals with legal problems related to immigration, personal injury and financial concerns. LegalShield offers services in all 50 states and four Canadian provinces, and the company partners with law firms to answer legal questions and provide legal help.

Pros

• 24/7 emergency legal assistance
  • Serves individuals and businesses
  • Affordable legal plans

Cons

• Can’t pause services
  • Membership costs vary by region

Bottom Line

LegalShield partners with law firms in the U.S. and Canada to offer assistance with everything from speeding tickets to court representation at an accessible price point.

Top LegalShield Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

From day one had my husband's and my own wills done immediately saving us approx $1,500 as well as financial power of [attorneys]. I wish I had found this service years ago. Amazi...

Verified

I love my LegalShield Membership. I saved over thousands in just less than one year with the cost of my membership compared to the price I had to pay a lawyer for “one” car accide...

Get access to verified lawyers today

Ask for help 24/7 on JustAnswer

Get Started

LegalShield membership

LegalShield provides regular access to legal teams in exchange for a monthly membership fee. The company offers unlimited legal advice within customers’ monthly membership plans, which lets clients call their law firm without worrying about going over a certain amount of time or number of calls.

During consultations, clients can get help starting legal documents, submitting traffic tickets or reviewing documents up to 15 pages. Tech-savvy clients who prefer to have legal assistance at the tip of their fingers benefit from LegalShield’s mobile app, which is available for Apple and Android phones. Members can also access emergency legal services through the app.

LegalShield services

• Real estate
  • Starting a business
  • Traffic violations and accidents
  • Trial defense

Unlike some competitors, LegalShield attorneys can defend and represent you in court, a service that is complimentary for members. While you’ll always work with the same law firm, you might not always work with the same attorney — each lawyer has their own area of expertise.

The membership also includes perks like 8% savings on eligible Verizon Wireless plans and 15% on Harry & David orders.

LegalShield plans

LegalShield offers several different plans catered to different needs. Pricing varies from state to state, but we gathered starting costs and features for LegalShield’s legal services in Oklahoma to give you an idea at the fees and services you’ll be looking at:

Personal Legal Plan
The LegalShield Personal plan starts at $24.95 a month and is designed for individuals and families looking for personal legal advice. The plan includes:
  • Unlimited consulting
  • Speeding ticket assistance
  • Unlimited contract review (up to 15 pages)
  • Will, living will and power of attorney
  • Uncontested adoption representation
  • IRS audit legal services
  • Residential loan document assistance
  • Collections, warranties and guarantees
Small Business Legal Plan
The Small Business Essentials Plan connects your business with a provider law firm to help with a variety of issues, including advice, consultation and research, collection letters, document review and flat-fee services. The company has three different plans:

The plans mostly differ by how often the services can be used. For instance, the Small Business Legal Essentials includes 10 document reviews per year for documents up up to 15 pages, while Small Business Legal Pro includes 40 document reviews per year for documents up to 25 pages. the Plus and Pro level plans also include flat-fee services, IRS audit legal services and interstate services, which are not included in the Essentials plan.

• Small Business Legal Essentials costs $49 each month.
  • Small Business Legal Plus costs $99 per month.
  • Small Business Legal Pro costs $169 each month.
Commercial Drivers Legal Plan
The Commercial Drivers Legal Plan starts at $32.95 a month. It’s designed for licensed commercial drivers looking for representation and coverage. The plan includes:
  • Coverage for member and spouse
  • Traffic accident representation
  • Moving violations defense
  • Defense of non-moving violations
Identity Theft Plan
The IDShield Individual plan helps individuals, families and businesses looking for identity theft protection. The company offers six different plans:
  • IDShield Individual ($13.95/month) covers a single individual includes credit monitoring and alerts from one credit bureau, unlimited consulting, $1 million identity theft protection coverage, 12-month credit score tracking history and 24/7 access to customer support.
  • IDShield Three-Bureau Individual ($17.95) includes the same features as IDShield Individual but includes credit monitoring and alerts from all three bureaus.
  • IDShield Family ($26.95) has the same protection as IDShield Individual but add coverage for your spouse or domestic partner and up to 10 minors.
  • IDShield Three-Bureau Family ($32.95) offers the same features of IDShield Family but monitors credit and sends alert from all three credit bureaus.
  • IDShield for Business Essentials ($79.95/month) includes a vulnerability scan, remote technical assistance, emergency help line response and a $100,000 cyberprotection plan. It protects up to six URLs and/or public IP addresses.
  • IDShield for Business Plus ($149.95/month) includes the same protection as IDShield for Business Essentials but covers up to 12 URLs and/or public IP addresses.

LegalShield pricing

Personal legal plans start at $24.95 a month, and additional add-ons start at $12.95 a month. Plans for small businesses start at $49 a month, commercial driver plans start at $32.95 a month and identity theft plans start at $13.95 a month. On average, an independent attorney charges $150 to $400 an hour, meaning partnering with LegalShield could be a big money saver.

The company offers several plan tiers, so be sure to consider how often you might need services and what services you're likely to require to ensure you choose the right plan for you.

LegalShield FAQ

How do I cancel my LegalShield subscription?
Members can cancel their LegalShield subscription at any time and receive a refund for any unused portion of their membership. There are three ways to cancel: call customer support, email customer support or send a written letter.
Will LegalShield hold up in court?
Yes. LegalShield works with bar-certified, independent law firms in the U.S. and Canada. The company has more than 900 attorneys in its network who assist with multiple legal matters, including trademarks, patents and copyrights.
Does LegalShield cover criminal cases?
Yes, LegalShield’s legal plans cover members and their spouses in trial defense cases, and the company can assist with most cases in criminal law.

Is LegalShield worth it?

LegalShield is worth it if you frequently need to consult an attorney and are looking for a budget-friendly option. We recommend the company for individuals, families, small businesses and HR professionals who have a monthly need for legal assistance. LegalShield doesn’t offer the option to pause subscriptions, so clients pay for the month regardless of whether they use the services. If you, your family, or small business require the help of an attorney on a consistent basis, then LegalShield is an affordable choice.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LegalShield?

Original review: June 24, 2022

Prior to the "Great Pandemic" I had built up a company I had started in 2007 and we were making money in construction. By the end of 2021 it was obvious things weren't getting better anytime soon. Between customers failing to pay, investment capital holding up new projects, and supply chain issues driving up the cost of materials, I was in way over my head. After spending an entire year just paying the interest on personal debt I finally joined LegalShield and had a conversation with Randy ** in the Tacoma office.

Randy was patient and listened intently as we went through all the different facets. Initially he advised me against going through with it due to various reasons. Since there was a slim chance things could work out. He pointed out some indicators to watch for as time went on. Six months later events caused the indicators to manifest, and when I contacted him again to explain, he agreed to proceed. They sent some questionnaires and after I filled them out Randy and I spoke several times and at great length. His paralegal, Amy, is a living angel. There were a total of 56 pages in the final Chapter 7 filing. I was amazed at her friendly and supportive help getting through some of the sections, and the huge amount of work sorting everything out into the correct category.

Randy was very informative, taking the time to make sure I understood my exact standing, what to expect, and a very honest view of what the most probable outcome would be for me. The key is honesty. If you are straightforward with them, they will be the same. Don't try to hide anything, they are not there to judge you, they are only interested in helping.

My bankruptcy was filed 12/31/2021 and discharged in May of 2022. Is it painless? No, there are rules, and you just can't cheat. But I can promise that if you are lucky enough to wind up with Randy ** as your attorney the process will be surprisingly low stress, and that 10 ton weight that's been crushing you will suddenly be gone. It will then be up to you to build your new life without feeling like you're drowning in debt every day. I've never left a review like this for anyone before, but then, no one has ever earned my admiration like the Randy and Amy team at Legal Shield, Tacoma.

Original review: June 18, 2022

I submitted a document I needed to sign through the LegalShield app. and requested that a Lawyer review it for any red flags. A Lawyer called me and assured me there was nothing of concern in the document but also made sure I understood everything it said and any possible consequences of my signing it. This was way easier than my reading it and attempting to understand all the legal jargon in the document... and it did not cost any extra beyond the low monthly subscription fee.

LegalShield response

Sheryl, we are so glad to hear about the success you've had utilizing your membership benefits. We’re building a future where every person can live without worrying about how they’ll afford legal services or respond to identity theft. We put more power in people’s hands by using technology that can make justice and online security accessible to everyone. Thank you for the wonderful feedback and for choosing LegalShield!

Get buying tips about Legal Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2022

I've had the LegalShield membership since 1998. It helps me make better wiser decisions when it comes to my family and Home-based business. I've saved thousands in consulting, document reviews, and letters made on my behalf. When the ID THEFT Service came on board, we've had several breaches and peace of mind that they would handle it for us. What we love most is that sometimes the law is not on our side, and that's okay; we didn't have to pay $250 an hour to get the same answer.

LegalShield response

Paul, we are extremely thankful for your membership! The peace of mind you get from being a LegalShield member is unmatched and we are thrilled to have serviced you for such a period of time! We appreciate you taking the time to leave such a wonderful review, it is greatly appreciated.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

I was in a situation where my family attorney couldn’t help me fast enough. A friend referred me to LS, and they saved me from being taken advantage of by an insurance company. My family and my company have saved THOUSANDS of dollars by calling Legalshield to help us know what we should or shouldn’t do, etc. Where my phone goes, my law firm goes. This service can’t be beat. I don’t always get the answer I want to hear, but I’m thankful it didn’t cost me an arm and a leg to find out. Thank you legalshield!

LegalShield response

You are welcome! Thank you for sharing your valuable experience with us. We are so pleased to hear you are using your membership and benefits for your legal needs.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: June 10, 2022

I am a military veteran. I have paid for Legal Shield membership for over 10 years, the one time that I needed my services for a tax suit the attorneys I was forced to use, Riling, Burkhead and Nitcher in Kansas, refused to send my Missouri case to Dubail Judge in MO, where I used to reside which is where trial would also take place, not Kansas. As a veteran I also called in to have them work another case which was a veteran matter, and for a second time I was given the lowest rate lawyer service I could imagine. When the attorney called me on that matter he stated he couldn't even remember where he read part of the law he was quoting to me as legal advice. This was the managing partner of that firm. How can anyone expect the legal advice they get as sound advice when the attorney can't remember where he read something he's advising you on?

Now further into my case, when I filed a complaint with Legal Shield corporate they sided with the law firm, further to that, when I stated if they would not review the actions they took not following Legal Shield Procedure for referral on out of state cases, I would get my money back that I paid in. I filed a my complaint because the advice that the Kansas Firm gave me, was incorrect and misleading, they wanted the case off their book to just get paid is how it seemed to me. Because I had to learn of the procedure form the opposing counsel and judge, not the attorneys who were supposed to be advising me.

If they would have sent me to the lawyers I had requested and should have been sent to, the advice and counsel I would have received would have been better. But instead, Legal Shield Cancelled my membership stating "Company Decision", no one called me, emailed me, not to mention this was directly after the Lawyer Mike Riling, said he would call me back on Thursday with an update to the law he couldn't remember that he had just read, when in reality they worked with Legal Shield on Wednesday to cancel my membership.

So I had 300 hours of trial defense, gone, no refund, I have two legal matters that I now have to hire other attorneys for all because I put my trust in Legal Shield to be there when I needed it. But when I threatened to use my membership which I was actively trying to save for issues like this, they cancel it because of what? Because I threatened to give you legal matters, especially a Veteran issue?! Yet cancel a member after over a decade of paying for your services and then be told, sucks to be YOU!

That is my experience with Legal Shield and Riling, Burkhead and Nitcher in Kansas, Legal Shield refuses to tell me the reason for cancellation, refuses to refund me, refuses to respond, and refuses to respond to the BBB. That is the company I paid money to for over a decade. I strongly urge anyone to consider any other service or firms before putting your faith in this company that they will be there when you need them.

LegalShield response

Brandon, we understand your concern and we would like to provide some clarification on this matter. The LegalShield subscription model is based on a provider law firm network and schedule of benefits within our legal service plan contract. We have a process in place to ensure that members have access to lawyers that are competent and experienced in the area of law needed as well as licensed appropriately. Our system does not allow for "Attorney-of-choice". We also strictly adhere to our contracted schedule of benefits. Services outside of the schedule of benefits are typically available at a reduced hourly rate.

In regard to the status of your membership, though it is rare, there are some reasons a membership may be canceled per company option, whether by PPLSI or a PPLSI Provider Law Firm. This information can be located in any membership contract as well as online at: http://contracts.legalshield.com/contracts/LSESSOK.821.pdf. When a membership is canceled per company option, PPLSI notifies the member by a dated and signed letter, explaining the matter and advising if any refund will be processed. If the Company cancels the Contract, Services will only be provided for those events reported in writing to the Provider Law Firm during the Eligibility Period. As a mission-based company, dedicated to protecting and empowering people with the tools and services needed to affordably live a just and secure life, this is option is not taken lightly and only implemented when necessary. We can understand how this may be upsetting. If you feel that this decision was made in error, please contact our Member Service team at (800)-654-7757 between 7-7 CST Monday-Friday and we would be happy to provide further details if needed.

Original review: May 6, 2022

At the recommendation of the provider, I was switched to a personal package that I was told included trial defense from a business package that also had trial defense. I was sued by a renter and was told I had coverage by the LegalShield provider. Then I was told I didn't have coverage followed by I had coverage then finally I didn't have coverage. Meanwhile the Minneapolis affiliate told me they filed a counterclaim. After he quit I found out he did not. My claim was not tossed. I have since requested legal consults and it's been 2 days with no call back from LegalShield. My account is in good standing. This was a 900.00 claim. Managing LegalShield was more cost than the actual loss. Complaint on file at MN AG and MN bar. I will update this as it unfolds.

LegalShield response

Greg, thank you for your feedback and for making us aware of your experience. We want to help you get the support you need. To do so, we need a bit more info. Please submit our Attorney Service Concern Form at https://legalshield.typeform.com/to/pSnMnF, and a member of our team will reach out to you directly. If you prefer to speak to someone over the phone, please contact Member Services at (800)-654-7757 between 7-7 CST Monday-Friday and a member of our team will be happy to assist you. Thank you again and we look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: May 1, 2022

I signed up for Legalshield November 23, 2021. I attempted to use the service multiple times. The Attorneys sometimes responded but never followed up. Cancelling the service is HELL! When I tried to cancel my (worst experience of my life). The customer service agent began reading a 15 minute script (it's rude) explaining everything I was "losing". I asked multiple time, "please stop reading the script and cancel my subscription". He refused to stop. This lasted 15 minutes. Then after being on the phone with multiple people, one who just put me through to a recording of their cancellation policy.

Per the recording I had to "send an email, with my membership number and the word 'cancel'". I sent the email April 15th, only to receive an email stating the following: "You’ve Successfully Activated Your Account!" I checked my credit card statement April 29th and they're still charging me. Does anyone know how to read their code and stop them from taking your money?

LegalShield response

Mark, thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. We apologize for your experience and appreciate your feedback. Please note, as stated on our website as well as in our membership contracts, cancellations must be provided in writing. The easiest way to do so is by emailing us at support@legalshieldcorp.com with your name, membership number, phone number, and your request to cancel the membership. If a refund is requested please provide this in the email as well. All cancelations are processed, and refunds are reviewed by management. If you have further questions or would like to speak to someone directly on this matter, please contact us at (844)-714-8494 between 7-7 CST Monday-Friday and a member of our team will be happy to assist you. Thank you.

Original review: April 28, 2022

I subscribed for their service ($29.95 per month) and at first it seem great. But as time passed and I needed them again (now I prepaid 6 months in advance) they assigned me to Davis Miles McGuire (DMG) in Tempe, AZ. I needed help with a major tax question. I called DMG and after speaking to an attorney (no cost for this call) from their office I was referred me to another attorney, Elliott **. I made an appt with Elliott ($195.00). After consulting with Elliott, he was going to charge me another $2500 to research my tax needs and to provide CPA. Well, that went nowhere. I never heard from Elliott again. I attempted on three different dates to contact him and left messages to call me. He never did.

I called LegalShield and they said is not their problem. They have no control over the attorneys. They just collect their fee ($29.95 per month) and clients are on their own! I called the State of AZ Bar Association (Mr. **) and they said they could not force Elliott to respond. However, Mr. ** did contact Elliott and Elliott said, "Oh, I can not help him". After months of waiting this is all he has to say? I called DMG and they refused to refund my $195. I called LegalShield and they refused to offer full refund. DMG claims that they are "The Only Law Firm You Will Ever Need". This is a bunch of **. I found out the Elliott IS NOT WITH THEIR LAW FIRM. You should stay away from, LegalShield, DMG, and Elliott **. They take your money at every level and then refuse to help you.

LegalShield response

John, thank you for your review and for making us aware of your experience. Our mission is to protect and empower people with the tools and services needed to affordably live a just and secure life. We believe that no one should be left without affordable, accessible legal services and advice.

We apologize for your experience and we want to help you get the support you need. To do so, we need a bit more info. Please submit our Attorney Service Concern Form at https://legalshield.typeform.com/to/pSnMnF, and a member of our team will reach out to you directly. If you prefer to speak to someone please contact Member Services at 800-654-7757 between 7-7 CST Monday-Friday and our team will be happy to assist you with this matter as well as provide information on a refund request. We look forward to assisting you.

Original review: April 27, 2022

On 09/23/2021 I hired legal for a small one time case. I made all necessary arrangements on the phone with their rep Cordero who was also was my single point of contact. He assured me this was a one time. On 09/23/2021 I hired legal for a small one time case. I made all necessary arrangements on the phone with their rep Cordero who was also was my single point of contact. He assured me this was a one time payment.. On 07/04/2022 I discovered that LegalShield had been taking $53.85 from my bank account unauthorized every month since 10/23/2021 thru 03/23/2022.. As soon as I realized what was going on I called Cordero to see what happened, he expressed that was not supposed to have happened and he would take of it by getting my money back into my bank account.

After Calling Cordero the second time he blocked my number, I called him from a different number and he picked right up, I asked him to please unblock my number, he told me NO and gave me his supervisor's number. I called his supervisor Mr. **. Mr. ** expressed that he had spoken to Cordero on this matter and assured me he (**) would take of it.. So far I have not been contacted and now ** will not answer my phone calls or respond to my text. I've hit a brick wall with this organization. They took my money unauthorized and will not give it back. Arthur **.

LegalShield response
    Arthur, thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. That is never an experience we want our members to have; we sincerely apologize.
    The PPLSI Independent Associates instructed you incorrectly. Our members should always feel comfortable and are encouraged to contact our home office with questions about their membership benefits or service complaints.
    I have confirmed that both of your memberships have been canceled. If you have further questions or would like to speak to someone about this directly, please contact our Member Services Team at (800)-654-7757 or via chat at www.legalshield.com, between 7-7 CST Monday-Friday, and a team member would be happy to provide support.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us; this has been addressed with the appropriate team members so that we may improve in the future.

Original review: March 29, 2022

You get nothing for the plan price. You want real legal action? Pay a lawyer thousands of dollars. This is just lunch money to them. All they did was write my landlord a letter, and dropped me like a sack of garbage. Save your money. Still having issues with my landlord. I'll just have to move because my "Lawyer" couldn't do anything to a certified slumlord.

LegalShield response

Alexander, thank you for your feedback. We're disappointed to hear that you feel our services did not meet your needs. We want every member to have a positive experience, even in those times when there may not be a legal solution available for the situation. We understand this type of situation can be frustrating. If you have further questions or would like to speak to someone directly on this matter, please contact our Member Service Team at (800)-654-7757 between 7-7 CST Monday-Friday, and a member of our team will be happy to assist you.

LegalShield Company Information

1972
    Formerly Named:
    Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.
    1 Prepaid Way