LegalShield

formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.

1.4/5 (42 ratings)

Author picture
Written by Lorraine Roberte
Edited by Shawn Richardson

About LegalShield

LegalShield works with a network of lawyers that can offer legal advice and help with a variety of legal issues. It operates everywhere in the U.S. and across all of Canada, and assistance is available 24/7 for certain emergency situations. LegalShield generally works on a monthly membership basis, and plans are available for individuals, families and businesses.

Pros

• Serves individuals and businesses
  • Unlimited legal advice
  • No retainer fee needed
  • 24/7 emergency legal assistance

Cons

• Limited services in Massachusetts

Bottom Line

LegalShield partners with law firms to offer assistance with everything from speeding tickets to court representation. However, not every situation is covered by your monthly membership fee, so be prepared for other costs.

Get access to verified lawyers today

Ask for help 24/7 on JustAnswer

Get Started

LegalShield Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LegalShield?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about LegalShield?

Original review: Sept. 22, 2020

My experience with LS over the past year and a half is disappointing. I have been using them for help with dealing with my landlord stealing from me through deception. Every time I call I wait for hours for a call back. The call is from a different lawyer every time, never once have they even familiarized themselves with the files and had no idea of the specifics of the case. I spend 20 - 30 minutes bringing them up to speed and they then tell me how the previous lawyer who directed me was wrong, and then they confuse the issue by telling me how they would have done it. I have spoken to at least 4 LS lawyers on this, one seemed competent but gave me terrible advice which has forced me to start a small claims case from scratch. The others were condescending, rude and demeaning of their own colleagues.

The one time I needed actual small claims help for court they wanted a huge retainer, from another lawyer that had not even bothered to look at the 6 month long records. I've been in business for myself for 28 years and have had dealing with multitudes of lawyers. Unless it is simple document review you will be wasting your money and time with this service.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2020

A waste of money! They are no kind of help whatsoever!!! You pay money for services they cannot provide and basically I just paid 25$ for 6 months for absolutely nothing! Legal Shield is a fraud!!! They make money off taking people's money without being able to really help you! You are better off paying your own lawyer as I did! They kept my money as well after I emailed my complaint! I've heard no response! What a fraud!!!!

Hello Tanisha,

We apologize for your experience. We would love to take a deeper look into your matter to find out exactly what happened and to be able to provide some insight as we are unsure of the situation at hand. Please make sure you sent any request to Customer Care to the email address: MemberServices@legalshieldcorp.com. Please note, a refund/cancellation request must be made in writing such as by email, mail, or fax, before it can be reviewed by management and processed. We are unable to provide a refund just from a complaint without an investigation. We appreciate your time, thank you!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

My family and I have been customers LegalShield for more than five years. We had a legal issue. First, calling to speak with someone at LegalShield is unacceptable. The hold time takes forever. Then I had to argue with the representative as he accused me of not having an account. Calling back to speak to someone knowledgeable took 45mins. Next, we left a message for an attorney to call back. The initial attorney told us what we needed to do, and how much the retainer is ($3200) but another attorney would call us back in three days to discuss things further. When the attorney called on the third day my phone rang once. When I tried to call back. I couldn't get anyone on the phone. We ended up locating a 5 Star Attorney, with a cheaper retainer fee, and immediate callback. So disappointed in LegalShield.

Hello Tamika,

We apologize for your experience and would like to investigate this matter should you still be an active member of LegalShield. We understand matters such as this can be frustrating and we would love to do everything we can to make this experience better for you. It is not uncommon for our law firms to require a retainer fee, especially if the legal matter at hand is not a fully covered benefit of our plans. Please send any concerns or questions you have to MemberServices@legalshieldcorp.com, thank you!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

My experience with LegalShield was not how I expected it to be nor how they say it is. Legalshield claims they come with "coverage" with their service when in reality they are no help at all. Every time I had a ticket I needed to be looked at, it was always a "we don't cover that type of violation" and every time they did decide to help me the attorney they assigned to my cases, would always end up providing no assistance at all. If it wasn't one thing it was another. Now that I decided to leave Legalshield service I am having problems with half of my driver's tickets. They can't help because "my account is not active". I do not recommend this service at all.

Hello Jessica,

We apologize for your experience with our service. You were informed correctly, LegalShield is a pre-paid legal service. If a membership is not active or current in payments, you are not able to receive any legal assistance from our law firms. We apologize for any confusion you may have received. Please refer to the plan contracts found at www.legalshield.com to find out with kind of moving traffic violations are covered by our plans. Thank you for your time.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

I am so honored to have the opportunity to recognize Alyssia ** with Legal Shield's Member Support Team #**! She not only went above and beyond to help my clients but she even went so far as to call them to ensure they were satisfied, had personal service and set an appointment with them the following day for follow up. It is because of customer service representatives like her that make me SO very proud to represent our organization! Thank you Alyssia! I am honored to have met you!

Hello Shelley,

Thank you very much for letting us know of the great service you received from our team, we really appreciate it! We will let this representative know! Thank you for your time.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

On one occasion I had co-signed for a Credit Card for my God Child and her husband's business. We had a falling out and they started to use the business credit card to buy personal items including a $17,000 truck for the husband to drive around in after he crashed the business truck. They stopped paying the Credit card bill and at $28,000.00 it went into default and they came after me. I called my LegalShield law firm Merritt Webb in South Carolina and after explaining everything they wrote a letter to the credit card company stating I would be happy to pay them back after they sent me all the signed receipts that had been charged on the account. I

had never made a single purchase with this car only purchases made had been either my God child or her husband. Since the letter was received I have heard nothing from the credit card company and have not had any negative reports filed on my credit report. Getting my LegalShield lawyer involved got me out of a $28,000 debt that wasn't mine. Thank you Merritt Webb and LegalShield all for $19.95 a month.

Hello Sara,

We are so pleased to hear of your experience with your LegalShield law firm! Stories like this are exactly why we are in this business! Thank you very much for sharing your story and staying so positive, we appreciate you!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

I just got Legal Shield and the lawyer I got was extremely rude and demeaning. Her first name was Susan, but she refused to give me her whole name, so clearly she was afraid of what I might say online about her. I called the service back and found out her name was Susan ** and she worked out of Parker Stanbury in Los Angeles, CA. She talked over me, wouldn't listen, made a lot of assumptions that were way off base and kept trying to hang up before I could make my needs known. Because she was such a bad listener, I ended up repeating myself a few times and still didn't get myself understood or the answers I needed before she hung up. She even said she didn't give a damn about my case. Incredibly unprofessional and over the top rude. The whole experience was less then 5 minutes and would have been shorter if I didn't keep insisting she answer my questions. From reading the reviews, I am not alone in my experience with Legal Shield.

LegalShield response

Hello Martha. Thank you for providing us with feedback. We appreciate hearing from our members, although we’re sorry that your experience appears to have been unsatisfactory. LegalShield aims to provide the best customer service possible, and for our attorneys to provide members with the most successful outcome for their legal matters while adhering to the benefits provided with the membership. We hope you will take just a moment to submit your feedback to LegalShield Customer Care by submitting a service concern form at https://legalshield.typeform.com/to/pSnMnF. Thank you again for bringing your concerns to our attention.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

We recently found out that we had over-paid on our property taxes and, when we called the L.A. County Tax Collectors office, they looked up our file and agreed that we had overpaid. However, because we didn't bring it to their attention within a specific time period, they told us that we lost our right to a refund. BASICALLY, THEY SAID THAT IT WAS OUR MONEY, BUT ON A TECHNICALITY, THEY WERE KEEPING IT! Talk about frustrating!!!

So we called our LegalShield provider law firm and they promptly assigned a real estate attorney to assist us. After consulting with him, he wrote a scary demand letter to the tax collectors office which gave the appearance that we had hired, AT GREAT EXPENSE, one of the biggest, baddest law firms in the state to get justice. (And we didn't even have to pay for the stamp that went on the envelope!!) A few weeks later, we received in the mail a check from the county for over $3,900! That one letter alone paid for our LegalShield membership for over 10 years. THANK YOU LEGAL SHIELD!

Hello Gerald,

Thank you so much for sharing your successful experience with LegalShield! We appreciate it more than you know. We are so glad to hear you got the proper assistance and won in the end! Thank you for your time!

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

Initially I was signed up as an associate, and quickly decided I did not want to be an associate. The person who signed me up failed to inform me that there was a recurring charge for the associate webpage that is created when you sign up as an associate. I was also pressured to sign up for ID shield after I informed them that I did not want that service. Cancellation of anything with this company is very difficult. So before you sign up for ANYTHING through LegalShield, or their affiliate subscriptions, make sure you know what you’re getting into!

Hello Heidi,

We apologize for the experience you had with your sponsor and any misinformation they gave. You are correct, there is a reoccurring charge for a monthly website that you agree to when signing up for an Associate Agreement, we apologize if this was not made aware to you. We can understand such frustration. However, cancellation of any agreement or plans can be made in any form of writing, such as email, mail, or fax. Please send any request to MemberServices@legalshieldcorp.com, thank you!

Original review: June 29, 2020

I am absolutely disgusted with LegalShield and their flagrant misrepresentation of the services they provide. My assigned Law Firm (DSK Law) treated me like I was a substandard human being and the Attorney who contacted me was the most unprofessional and belligerent person I have ever had contact within a professional setting. Nothing even comes close to how incredibly disrespectful this individual was towards me, and she even went as far as to start mocking me and shaming me after she learned that I am a disabled veteran of the United States Marine Corps. I was in complete disbelief that this person has an active license to practice law in the state of Florida. Additionally, there is very little doubt in my mind that the attorney was on some type of ** by the way. She was talking in a hyperactive state along with her incoherent rants about how I am not a priority because I am a member of LegalShield.

I cannot recommend enough that LegalShield completely cut ties with this Law Group as they are not only bad for business, but they are also a huge liability as well. I attempted to contact the CEO of LegalShield but I was not given any phone number or email address when I asked for this information to share with Mr. Bell. I was committed to becoming a lifetime member of LegalShield because I had a very good friend who once worked for them before he passed away and he always had nothing but excellent things to say about working for them. If he were here today, I know that she would feel the exact same way that I do. To display my confidence with how committed I was to LegalShield and the services that they market, I paid for an entire year in advance with the expectation that I had legal representation ready at a moment's notice if I were to need it.

As if this weren't bad enough, I am now being denied a refund for two products and services not rendered by Legal Shield. DSK Law out of Brooksville, FL, is the absolute worst Law Firm that I have ever experienced In my entire life. If Mr. Bell really cares as much as he says he does for his customers, he needs to contact me directly so he knows what is happening in the field and not what he knows sitting behind his desk looking at a computer screen.

I challenge Mr. Bell to step out of his comfort zone and actually speak to me and learn how horrible of an experience and the treatment I was rendered, especially how I was mocked for being a disabled veteran of the United States Marine Corps. I am already in touch with the Florida Bar, and they are currently investigating exactly what happened, along with investigating LegalShield for providing legal services that are grossly misrepresented and then refusing to issue a refund of an entire year paid in advance by me because I have canceled. David **

Original review: June 17, 2020

I have been a customer for a long time. Probably over 15 years. They were originally prepaid legal services. The provider firms do everything they can to not give you free legal advise. 3 times I was told the legal issue "wasn't really mine" even though I felt it was mine. At least 3 times they told me there was a conflict of interest and they sent me to another attorney who is useless. I've only even been able to get my provider firm to handle my will. The final straw was the complete incompetence on the part of the Firm they sent me to because of the conflict the provider firm claimed to have. In my opinion there was no conflict. They always have an excuse and this time they lost me money. DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE. I have cancelled my membership.

Original review: June 12, 2020

From day one had my husband's and my own wills done immediately saving us approx $1,500 as well as, financial power of attorney's. I wish I had found this service years ago. Amazing service and amazing company.

Hello Mary,

We are so happy to hear of your successful experience! We love to hear when our members have their estate planning needs met, as it is such an important part of life. Thank you for taking the time to leave a great review, we appreciate you!

Original review: June 11, 2020

After being a member for a couple of years I contacted Legal Shield to file a non contested divorce. The lawyer told me to fill out papers that you could find online and then send them the filled in paper work along with $350. I asked what the $350.00 was for he said “Filling fees”. After having to do my own legal work I called the court house. They said I just need to bring the papers in and it would cost me $225.00 to file for the divorce. It would cost $50.00 to have papers served if I needed that service. So all this time of paying for legal services they tell me to do it myself and send them more money than it should cost. What a rip off. I just hope they will refund my payment that’s due.

Original review: May 25, 2020

I bought a Groupon for window washing in the Fall. On the day of my appointment, it was raining and the window washing company called to tell me they couldn't clean my windows because it was raining. I said, "no problem, I'll make another appointment". The guy said, "Sorry Ma'am. We aren't taking appointments until Spring," I said okay, that's fine.

I started calling to make an appointment in March because it takes several months to get an appointment. I called both the business and cell numbers and left voice mails. I had recently joined LegalShield and decided to see if it really worked. I called my law firm to complain that I hadn't been called back for an appointment and that I thought that the window washing company was going to keep my money. The Attorney had me send him the Groupon and contact information about the window washing company.

I received my letter from the Attorney, it was very firm and professional; I was very pleased. About an hour later the window washing company called because they had just received their letter. The owner was upset and apologizing for not calling me back. He said they hadn't been opened until 2 weeks ago. I asked, "why didn't you call me in the 2 weeks you were opened? I had left several voicemails and got nobody called back." He just kept apologizing and gave me an appointment. The owner himself came to wash my windows and was extremely nice and washed doors as well. I don't believe that I would have gotten serviced if it hadn't been for my LegalShield plan. Thank you LegalShield and Maguire, Schneider, Hassey.

Hello Brenda,

Thank you so much for the amazing review! We love to hear of positive experiences such as this and are grateful to have you as a member of LegalShield. Thank you for taking the time to leave a positive review!

Original review: May 25, 2020

I found out what this company was all about on my first call. On my first call they saved me $25,000 and made me a believer. Thank goodness with this company I have access to law firms in all 50 states. I have had this service for 10 years and I will make sure my children have it as adults also.

Original review: May 24, 2020

I love the fact that LegalShield is a benefit that you can reap value from right away. Not only with unfortunate matters that happen from time to time but also with everyday matters that we may need support with. Having access to a top rated Law Firm through a state-of-the-art mobile app for small monthly subscription provides incredible peace of mind. I feel like I’m a part of history with what seems like it could soon be a new societal norm.

Original review: May 22, 2020

I am very disappointed with this company. After speaking with an attorney I found that she could NOT answer any of my questions. She claimed she would not be able to file paperwork on my behalf like they state. Also, she wouldn’t make phone calls regarding legal matters on my behalF. No legal help whatsoever. It's pretty clear that her main focus was just getting rid of me. I don't even know what I was paying for! Even trying to cancel the subscription is nearly impossible. I was told I would receive 3 separate refunds for one purchase, which makes no sense at all. I had to demand to speak with a supervisor after getting the runaround for 30 minutes. Time wasted and unnecessary stress to say the least! In the amount of time wasted on them I could of done all of this myself at no charge. I am completely dissatisfied! BEWARE, SCAM SCAM SCAM!

Original review: May 18, 2020

24/7 emergency access. I was involved in an accident at 1:30am traveling home from work while carrying my sidearm, I was able to get advice from my attorney at 1:30am on a Saturday and they took my case on a contingency basis. Wouldn't be caught without the service.

Original review: May 18, 2020

I had a Home that was up for sale for six months and no one was living in it. The utilities company continue to charge me even though no one was living in the home to ramp up the usage. The bill was over $600. I called in and I was told that there was nothing that they could do and now I was being forced to pay $682. I called my LegalShield attorneys, they wrote a letter to the utilities company on my behalf. Two weeks later I got a phone call from the utilities company and they completely Eliminated the $682 bill. Absolutely awesome service!

Original review: May 18, 2020

This company has saved me thousands. Most recently I used the service because my internet company was charging me for an installation that never took place. The installation fee was only $50 dollars but I wasn’t going to pay for something that I didn’t receive. I called the company and they told me their technician said he installed new equipment so I had to pay. After being called a liar by the internet company I called LegalShield. They contacted the internet company and within two weeks the legal department of the internet company called me to apologize and inform me the 50 dollar installation fee was removed.

Original review: May 17, 2020

Two Powerful Attorney Letter Testimonies:

Attorney Letter #1 - On a trip back home from Las Vegas, Delta airlines damaged my wife’s luggage (numerous tears & and a missing wheel) and broke my wife’s blowdryer. When we spoke to Delta customer service, they said their policy is not to replace damaged baggage. We had our provider law firm draft an attorney letter and faxed it to Delta Airlines’ legal counsel. Within a week, we received two separate checks in the mail: one for $50 for my wife’s broken blowdryer and another for $75 to replace my wife’s damaged luggage.

Attorney Letter #2 - We bought a Magic Chef refrigerator for one of our rental properties that had a compressor that died 8 months after purchasing it from Home Depot. Home Depot & Magic Chef denied responsibility, stating we did not purchase their extended warranty. We contacted our provider law firm, who drafted and sent an attorney letter to both Magic Chef & Home Depot, requesting reimbursement for refrigerator and our tenant’s spoiled food as result of the faulty compressor. 6 weeks later, we received two checks in the mail: one for $308.12 to replace refrigerator and another check for $60 to reimburse our tenant for spoiled food.

It’s amazing how corporate policies become simple misunderstandings with reimbursement checks attached, simply by sending attorney letters, which didn’t cost us a penny more than our $24 monthly subscription! Thank you LegalShield!!

Original review: May 16, 2020

I love my LegalShield Membership. I saved over thousands in just less than one year with the cost of my membership compared to the price I had to pay a lawyer for “one” car accident I was involved in back in 2016. He charged me over $5000 just to send letters and make phone calls on my behalf. I only pay less than a $1 a day now for a lawyer to do that for me plus more with my LegalShield membership!

Original review: May 16, 2020

The services provided through LegalShield are great! I got the help I needed for a legal matter. And with the monitoring of my private information, I know I'm safe with IDShield. I really appreciate the service and the Member Perks are just as valuable and amazing as the service!!

Original review: May 16, 2020

Soooo much peace of mind comes with having a LegalShield membership. Just last week I was able to call in to ask a question in reference to an insurance situation AND send in some documents to be reviewed to ensure that everything was within my best interest before signing. Before having LegalShield I would have stressed over the insurance situation, spent hours on Google researching, I would have proceeded or I wouldn't have (but either way, I would have done so reluctantly and assuredly) and I would have signed the document without fully understanding it?

Without LegalShield, these 2 occurrences that happened in 1 week would have cost me hundreds and hundreds of dollars and more stress than I like to carry! With LegalShield, I don't have to carry stress, I can just carry on with my life! Now...let's talk about the speeding ticket that they helped me fight the end of 2019, or the Will & Healthcare POA that I had updated earlier this year... I'm just so thankful for this plan! This type of coverage and membership just ROCKS!

Original review: May 16, 2020

I had an issue with AT&T not fulfilling their agreement to pay my Sprint final bill due to an error made by a representative. I contacted my law firm, and was asked to send a copy of both bills. My letter was sent within two business days, and within 8 business days, I received a gift card in the mail with a letter apologizing for the miscommunication. I was able to pay off the sprint bill which at the time was impacting my credit. THANK YOU LEGALSHIELD!

Original review: April 29, 2020

I've used my LegalShield membership for over a decade. Most recently I had internet installed in my home. It went in and out, so they sent multiple technician visits and it never worked properly. When I cancelled the internet, they sent me a $300+ early termination bill that I refused to pay. They then sent me to a debt collection company who threatened to put it on my credit. I called my law firm and they wrote a cease and desist letter to the debt collection company, who then wrote my law firm a letter back letting them know that I didn't owe anything and nothing negative would be reported on my credit report!

LegalShield response

We are so pleased to hear of your positive experience! Thank you so much for sharing this message and for being a valued member of LegalShield!

Original review: April 29, 2020

We had a problem getting a large home alarm company to fix an issue. They promised to fix the issue each time we called, and 6 months later NO results, but they kept drafting our checking account the $20 a month. Most of us would not call an attorney for $120 situation, we used LegalShield. The attorney wrote a letter to the alarm company on our behalf and we received a full refund, plus they gave us the next 6 months free and released us from the monthly auto draft and we pay them monthly when we receive the bill. I found the service very easy to use and I was very pleased with the outcome.

Original review: April 29, 2020

I Live in NC and while I was in Atlanta GA I was caught in a speed trap. I had 2 citations and was looking at a $375+ fine. I went back to NC and sent my tickets to my Law Firm. They passed it on to my Law Firm in GA. The Attorney let me know they were going to court for me and I didn't need to be present. After the court date, my Attorney called me back to let me know they were able to get all the charges dropped and the case was closed. I never had to took a day off of work to drive back to Atlanta (3.5 hrs away) to fight the ticket. They saved me TIME and MONEY $375!! That savings just paid for my Legal Plan for the WHOLE YEAR! I'm a member for LIFE.

Original review: April 29, 2020

This service is incredible. I had an issue with a credit card company that was overbilling me $7.95 a month for 2 years. After many unsuccessful attempts with customer service, I called LegalShield. My attorney wrote a dispute letter on my behalf. A week later I received an apology letter from the credit card company, they refunded me $171 and never billed me $7.95 again. I love this service!

LegalShield response

Original review: April 17, 2020

We have loved using this service for our business and we also have the family coverage. They helped us in our IRS tax audit and our attorney was the best, he was extremely knowledgeable and knew exactly what we needed to do, we passed with flying colors. We call all the time to get advice on all sorts of things. Got our wills done and updated every few years. Great service.

LegalShield Company Information

1972
Formerly Named:
Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.
1 Prepaid Way