LegalShield

formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.

1.6/5 (43 ratings)

Author picture
Written by Lorraine Roberte
Edited by Shawn Richardson

About LegalShield

LegalShield works with a network of lawyers that can offer legal advice and help with a variety of legal issues. It operates everywhere in the U.S. and across all of Canada, and assistance is available 24/7 for certain emergency situations. LegalShield generally works on a monthly membership basis, and plans are available for individuals, families and businesses.

Pros

• Serves individuals and businesses
  • Unlimited legal advice
  • No retainer fee needed
  • 24/7 emergency legal assistance

Cons

• Limited services in Massachusetts

Bottom Line

LegalShield partners with law firms to offer assistance with everything from speeding tickets to court representation. However, not every situation is covered by your monthly membership fee, so be prepared for other costs.

Get access to verified lawyers today

Ask for help 24/7 on JustAnswer

Get Started

LegalShield Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LegalShield?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about LegalShield?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

I was in a situation where my family attorney couldn’t help me fast enough. A friend referred me to LS, and they saved me from being taken advantage of by an insurance company. My family and my company have saved THOUSANDS of dollars by calling Legalshield to help us know what we should or shouldn’t do, etc. Where my phone goes, my law firm goes. This service can’t be beat. I don’t always get the answer I want to hear, but I’m thankful it didn’t cost me an arm and a leg to find out. Thank you legalshield!

LegalShield response

You are welcome! Thank you for sharing your valuable experience with us. We are so pleased to hear you are using your membership and benefits for your legal needs.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

I used Legalshield for about 4 months and was disappointed to say the least. Their responsiveness was very slow and often you get bounced around to different legal providers and the follow up is poor. When I tried to cancel my services, they gave me the run around as well which was not shocking. You can't cancel online, so I've spent several days trying to get ahold of someone on the phone to cancel. I am so frustrated that I'm to the point of just reporting it as fraud to my credit company. Don't waste your money!

LegalShield response

The legal system requires every law firm to perform a conflict check. Ethically a law firm cannot represent a client if they have previously represented the adverse party. Unlike other subscription services like Spotify and Netflix, LegalShield requires cancellation requests to be submitted in writing. We must ensure that the person requesting cancellation is authorized to do so. We do this to protect members as upcoming legal situations can cause individuals in the same household (and on the same membership) to take actions that may not be in the best interest of everyone involved.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2021

I joined Legal Shield last year and only decided to use the service In August. My issue involved appealing a denial of public record request in Idaho. I was out in contact with my provider law firm Kival & Howard out of Portland. The experience was unpleasant to say the least when speaking to the legal shield intake. Specialist at the law firm I was insulted the person lacked professionalism and had a very poor attitude he only listens to a quarter of my statement and when I asked him to read back what he took down he let slip the derogatory remark he wrote down about me

Also when someone says continuous A hum before you even say two words it signals A genuine indifference. I filed a complaint against this person but was never satisfied and never got word of the resolution in-fact I am certain he is still there handling calls. Complaints on the web show this person never is properly disciplined because he is always there to make someone else feel small later on. Beside this insult the provider law said they Would need a cash deposit of 3-5 grand to file some paperwork for my records inquest denial. It only cost 100 bucks to file this document with the court clerk…I asked about the legal shield membership discount and was told that the 3-5 grand was with 25% membership discount. I also had the 35.00 a month membership. Fast forward I decide to cancel the service cause it don’t provide any real benefits to me and my experience was lack luster.

I am told I have to send a letter to the main office or send email requesting cancellation Or fax my cancellation notice with information proving who I am…K seems simple enough to send email so I sent an email telling I want to cancel and email comes back undeliverable due to domain does not exist thinking I could have made mistake I contacted members services. For the second time to confirm the correct spelling of the support@legalsheildcorp.com address I sent another email to cancel and it came back again undeliverable.

It’s at that time it became simple to see that there is no legitimate email cancellation option. And the company is very good at making in so arduous to cancel the service. You may have to actually sue them to do so….Anyhow be smart, study law and go to the court clerk yourself, save money and avoid a service that is better at taking money more reliably That it can provide a beneficial service to anyone. Thanks and don’t get worked over

LegalShield response

This is a really important point about LegalShield. LegalShield manages our member's subscriptions to our legal and IDShield plans. Our network of provider law firms administers the legal plan benefits to legal plan members. While we do not play a role in the administering of legal services, we do hold our provider law firms accountable to service level agreements (SLA’s) that are mutually agreed upon by LegalShield and the provider law firms. We provide our members with resources to let us know if their provider law firm is not meeting those SLAs and will work to remediate any issues related to those SLA’s. Thank you for this important feedback.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

It's so funny that this service can call themselves LegalShield and be doing nothing but stealing folks money. They promise a few different service items and after months and months of paying for the service they refuse to provide the service and they just refer you to pay a lawyer several hundred dollars per hour after the discount to actually think about helping you with your issue. And when you sign up they tell you they will issue a refund if you're not satisfied but they will only give you pennies if anything at all for the remaining days of the month.

It is absolutely disgusting that these people are lurking to kick you when you're down. After all you already have a legal matter you desperately need help on and they take that desperation as an opportunity to steal money from you. It's sick. They will only let you talk to a person on the phone once a month. As it turns out the person they let you speak to for legal advice is not even a lawyer. They are supposed to provide a demand letter. They won't do that. They are supposed to review documents. They won't do it. Just look for a lawyer you can afford if you really need one because this service is a complete joke.

LegalShield response

The legal system requires every law firm to perform a conflict check. Ethically a law firm cannot represent a client if they have previously represented the adverse party. Therefore a referral is made for the member. Our service provides a covered contract of benefits and a discount for other matters. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

I have been a member of Legal Shield since 2005 (over 15 years). I was an executive director for the company that used Parker Stanbury as their primary law firm. I ran one of 2 business briefings in all of San Diego promoting Legal Shield. I say all that to say I've been here longer than most of the attorneys on staff. I have had very good experiences with Parker Stanbury (provider firm in California) but as soon as Harland Stoncipher passed away (2014) and Legal shield was sold (2018), the customer service has been absolutely horrible. It's not worth the money or the headache. I urge everyone to cancel their membership until Parker Stanbury is fired. I've complained over and over about them and Legal Shield does nothing but apologizes. Legal Shield has become as bad as Parker Stanbury. They quite literally don't care and no remedies ever happen.

I finally just canceled my membership. I have had issue after issue with Parker Stanbury. They are the most arrogant and uppity law firm I've ever dealt with. Absolutely rude and condescending! I've had attorneys hang up on me. I've had to argue with emotional and irrational attorneys trying to give me their subjective opinion when what I was asking for is what the law actually says. I've had many lazy attorneys I could tell were completely guessing. It goes on and on with how many bad experiences I've had with Parker Stanbury. This is the last law firm I'd trust with anything important. Their work ethic and integrity are questionable at best. They don't care about their clients and treat us like we are bothering them (as you can tell by many of the reviews they receive).

LegalShield response

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

I have been a LegalShield client for over 5 years. In the past I have not had any issues with attorneys calling me back within 24 hours. I had to have them make a change in my will that I had them do. Who is a minor change of the name of a beneficiary on one page of 1 document. Literally less than five minutes' worth of work. I have had to call them three times over the past week after not receiving any response whatsoever from them. This is totally unacceptable in a digital age. I am going to cancel my service with them and go with one of their competitors. I recommend that you DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY, AND look at alternatives to LegalShield.

Hello Alan,

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

Big scam. They employ 5th rate lawyers that can’t pull their pull their weight and are useless. They can’t write a simple letter and do nothing but refer you to a private lawyer after giving you useless advice. After I complained they promised to refund 6 months of their useless service and I only got 3. Liars. AVOID THIS OUTFIT AT ALL COSTS AND SEEK A LEGIT AND HONEST COMPANY INSTEAD OF GETTING RIPPED OFF BY THESE USELESS LIARS.

Hello Larry,

The legal system requires every law firm to perform a conflict check. Ethically a law firm cannot represent a client if they have previously represented the adverse party. Therefore a referral is made. This is a really important point about LegalShield. LegalShield manages our member's subscriptions to our legal and IDShield plans. Our network of provider law firms administers the legal plan benefits to legal plan members. While we do not play a role in the administering of legal services, we do hold our provider law firms accountable to service level agreements (SLA’s) that are mutually agreed upon by LegalShield and the provider law firms. We provide our members with resources to let us know if their provider law firm is not meeting those SLA’s and will work to remediate any issues related to those SLA’s.We hate to hear you were not satisfied with your membership. Thanks!

Original review: July 19, 2021

They often don't have answers to your questions, so they refer you to outside lawyers, that do not give free legal advice, despite telling your plan will still be honored. Many of the lawyers are lazy, and will do anything to avoid answering your questions, or doing the hour of research. (Keep in mind, an hour of research by a lawyer, is worth a lot more than an hour of research by a layman, because they're already supposed to have some idea of what they're doing.)

I've also had lawyers give me conflicting advice. For example, I was kicked out of a restaurant for having a service dog. I recorded the incident. Police threatened to arrest me, despite the fact that I was recording in a public place. I called for advice on the recording, separately from calling for advice on the service dog. The lawyer for the recording said it was perfectly legal (though he was unable to state the statue or case law to back it up). The lawyer for the service dog incident told me my recording was illegal. I had to explain one their other lawyers had already told me my recording was legit. Note, I now have the statute and case law proving it's legal to record someone in a public place, though, no thanks to LegalShield. You'd be surprised how many of their attorneys have given me outright false advice just because they're incompetent or lazy.

In another instance, they asked me how many pages one of my documents was, before I sent it. After hearing it was 18 pages, they refused to review it, because that placed it three pages over the 15 page limit. I was annoyed, but I didn't argue the matter, because the lawyer was technically right. Where he crossed the line was in asking me to give him a five star review, after just telling me he wasn't going to do anything for me. Good customer service isn't nitpicking at the trivial. It would have taken him, maybe, a full extra minute to review the extra three pages.

I also had court matter I paid for using the 25% discount. At the time I paid, I was told my fee covered the case itself. Before my first court date, the original lawyer had left the firm, so they simply swapped in a new one to argue the previous one's motions. The whole point of paying for a lawyer is that you have someone dedicated to your case. Further, the new lawyer told me the $1,150 I paid only covered the one motion, despite me being told that was total for the case. That's a lot of money from someone subsisting off a disability check. So not only have these people never helped me, they used me.

LegalShield response

Hello Logan, thank you for providing us with feedback. We appreciate hearing from our members, although we’re sorry that your experience appears to have been unsatisfactory. LegalShield aims to provide the best customer service possible, and for our attorneys to provide members with the most successful outcome for their legal matters while adhering to the benefits provided with the membership. We hope you will take just a moment to submit your feedback to LegalShield Customer Care by submitting a service concern form at https://legalshield.typeform.com/to/pSnMnF. Thank you again for bringing your concerns to our attention.

Original review: July 1, 2021

I joined this company to get simple legal advice for a monthly fee. When I contacted them, they would assign a junior associate or similar to me and the information provided is no better than Google. After repeated failures on their part, I decided to cancel and have been charged 6 times in 2 months after they confirmed my cancellation. Every time I call and spend 2 hours of my valuable time, I keep getting the run around and they ask for this and that which I already provided in writing which they confirmed receipt claiming it would be processed in 24-48 hours. Their customer service is simply a Ponzi scheme sales team that tries to keep you hooked and use tactics like delays and other new requirements. Beware of joining such an organization especially looking for legal advice which is basic and rudimentary you could get for free from any student.

LegalShield response

Hello Steve, Thank you for providing us with feedback. We appreciate hearing from our members, although we’re sorry that your experience appears to have been unsatisfactory. LegalShield aims to provide the best customer service possible, and for our attorneys to provide members with the most successful outcome for their legal matters while adhering to the benefits provided with the membership. Please send your cancellation request along with a possible refund request to MemberServices@legalshieldcorp.com, our team is happy to assist you properly. Thank you.

Original review: June 25, 2021

In addition to not being able to assist me with the completion (or even giving legal advice on how to fill out) Application for Form N600....OR being able to give me sufficient advice about an upcoming DV trial that I am a victim in...AND understanding that I cancelled their service 1 month after signing up (May), because they ADMITTED THEY COULDN'T HELP ME - they have charged me for TWO MONTHS in advance for June 2021.... GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK! YOUR SERVICE IS WORTHLESS TO ME! I hired you for 2 things, you admitted you couldn't help, I CANCELLED... WHY ARE YOU STILL CHARGING ME!!!?

Hello Penelope,

We apologize for your experience and would love to assist you properly with the cancellation of your account. Please make sure to send your request to MemberServices@legalshieldcorp.com, along with a request for a refund for review. We appreciate you and your time and look forward to assisting you. Thank you!

Original review: June 24, 2021

I signed up and paid for my membership and I get an email telling that they elected not to give me membership and that it's the company's option. They stated they are going to refund my money. Don't waste your time with them. They have never been the same when they used to be prepaid legal. LegalShield s*cks. If I could give them zero stars I would. They are picking and choosing who they think deserves to have affordable representation. They are very discriminatory and they should go out of business.

Hello Andrea,

We sincerely apologize for your experience as this is not something we have been made aware of. LegalShield aims to offer legal services to all individuals and businesses alike. We do not discriminate against any race, gender, or orientation. We encourage you to contact our Customer Care team at 800-654-7757 between 7-7 CST Monday-Friday to discuss our plans and how to sign up, should you still be interested. We appreciate you and your time, thank you.

Original review: June 12, 2021

This company is awful. In fact blacklisted me from when I originally signed up my application. Never processed. Their app on my phone not identifying my number. They're getting my money back. Can't sign up now.

Hello Angela,

Original review: May 10, 2021

$40.00/month for legal services sounds great, right? Absolutely!... if it's true. I used this service for 12 months. The quality of work by the attorneys was absolutely awful. Your membership is supposed to include one hour of research time on top of free consultations. It's supposed to also include the review of documents less than 15 pages for free.

Here's what you actually get: 1) 90% of the consultation time is spent listening to a legal licensee constantly plug why you need an attorney and why you need to pay thousands of dollars for more "discounted services", which are not discounted at all compared with fair market value. 2) When you ask legal questions, you're constantly told that the questions are not specific enough and, therefore, will require an hourly rate for "researching". 3) The review service is terrible. A few chicken-scratch notes with absolutely no suggestions on how to better a contract.

If you're looking for legal advice for your business, I recommend this. 1) Follow the 10 commandments and BE GOOD TO PEOPLE. This solves 99% of your potential legal issues. 2) Read the state and local laws governing your business. 3) Set up the business with asset protections. If you get into legal trouble with the business and cannot settle for a reasonable amount, bankrupt the business and start over. Keep in mind this fact, even a bad attorney charges an average of about $300.00 per hour. Small claims court caps are usually $10,000.00 or less. THAT CAP IS LESS THAN 40 BILLABLE HOURS, a mere one week of work.

LegalShield response

Hello James, Thank you for providing us with feedback. We appreciate hearing from our members, although we’re sorry that your experience appears to have been unsatisfactory. LegalShield aims to provide the best customer service possible, and for our attorneys to provide members with the most successful outcome for their legal matters while adhering to the benefits provided with the membership. We hope you will take just a moment to submit your feedback to LegalShield Customer Care by submitting a service concern form at https://legalshield.typeform.com/to/pSnMnF. Thank you again for bringing your concerns to our attention.

Original review: March 22, 2021

Need information on restraining order and obtaining legal conservatorship for spouse with dementia. Called first thing in morning and sat around phone all day. Called back two more times to see when they would call. Lots of promises but, no call. So now I have to go to court unprepared.

LegalShield response

Hello Jana, Thank you for providing us with feedback. We appreciate hearing from our members, though we’re sorry that your experience appears to have been unsatisfactory. LegalShield aims to provide the best customer service possible, and for our attorneys to provide members with the most successful outcome for their legal matters while upholding & adhering to CDC guidelines & local laws around the usage of face masks. We strongly encourage you to submit a concern to LegalShield Customer Care at https://legalshield.typeform.com/to/pSnMnF. Thank you again for bringing your concerns to our attention.

Original review: March 5, 2021

Such a waste. I signed up through my employer and have never even been able to access my account or look at exactly what the benefit is. Tried customer service several times, still no access to my account.

LegalShield response

Hello Misty, we apologize for your experience and would love to assist you properly. Please contact our team by phone at 800-654-7757 between 7-7 CST Monday-Friday or by live chat at https://home-c4.incontact.com/inContact/ChatClient/ChatClientPatron.aspx?poc=785ac45b-4579-4198-9376-359d21b87f27&bu=4595114. If you prefer you are more than welcome to request to speak to someone in Management for assistance with locating your account and our team will gladly assist. Thank you!

Original review: March 4, 2021

Got a lawyer for a speeding ticket. They did nothing to help. I don’t think they even bothered. On top of it the lawyer was out of state. I thought these were supposed to be local lawyers? It was so disappointing and too late to hire a local attorney. I have never experienced having a lawyer in a speeding ticket case not be able to help someone. If lawyers can get off wife beaters and murderers you’re telling me you can’t help someone with a speeding ticket?! Trash. Pure trash.

LegalShield response

Hello Mary, Thank you for providing us with feedback. We appreciate hearing from our members, although we’re sorry that your experience appears to have been unsatisfactory. LegalShield aims to provide the best customer service possible, and for our attorneys to provide members with the most successful outcome for their legal matters while adhering to the benefits provided with the membership. We hope you will take just a moment to submit your feedback to LegalShield Customer Care by submitting a service concern form at https://legalshield.typeform.com/to/pSnMnF. Thank you again for bringing your concerns to our attention.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

When you need their legal services, they will send you to a law office near you for consultation. If you get into an agreement with LegalShield and wish to terminate your contract, make sure you write down the day, time and name of the agent you spoke to, and also make sure to send an email to support@legalshieldcorp.com. Then, have them acknowledge it. Otherwise they will keep charging you and if you complain they send you to the small letter of the agreement. Good Luck.

Hello Luis,

We apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced while trying to cancel your plan. We appreciate your feedback and will send this information to the appropriate team for future use and consideration. We appreciate you and your time. Please email MemberServices@legalshieldcorp.com should you need additional assistance, thank you.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

I signed up for service and never heard from them. I called them once and they said "there's been a complication and we need more time to process your application". Then I still did not hear from them and called again and they said "your application was denied and unfortunately we will not be refunding your membership charge." I said "then why am I not getting service?" They said "That's company option". I said "Then why am I not getting refunded?" They said "Company option". I said "I don't understand, what does that even mean?" They just repeated, "Company option." It was very strange, and certainly not right. I had to call my bank to file a dispute and seek out other legal services. Don't waste your time or money on these scammers!

LegalShield response

Hello Brian, we apologize for your experience as we would like to provide some type of understanding. Although we are unable to locate your application at this time, due to the lack of information provided, you should have received a letter in the mail explaining why the "company option" was chosen. This can be for a number of things such as payment information could not supply a successful payment, conflict of interest, etc. Should you have concerns regarding a refund please email MemberServices@legalshieldcorp.com, thank you!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2020

I called Fri 9 am for a lawyer to help me and I was told they would call in 4-8 hours and now their office is closed and I haven’t heard from anyone, I’m told I have to wait till Mon, terrible service.

Hello,

We apologize for your experience and would like to offer some insight. Normally if something such as this happens, it is because our law firm requires additional time for research or investigating of the matter at hand. We understand how this can be frustrating but rest assured, we are doing everything we can to make sure you get the best possible legal assistance. Please send and further concerns to our email address: MemberServices@legalshieldcorp.com, thank you!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2020

I bought this rider, and now that I need to use it, find that Legal Shield will not cover any lawsuit that comes against you that cites incidents that occurred before you bought the insurance. Since most lawsuits do occur about past issues, which sometimes happened years earlier, don't count on getting any use out of this insurance rider for a long, long time. It is a ripoff. The lawsuit against me was filed on 11/4/2020, about 4 or 5 months after I purchased the insurance. So I thought I was covered. But the incident that I am being sued about happened in 2018. So Legal Shield has a very sketchy, at least in my opinion, out. To say I am unhappy is an understatement. What a crock!

Hello April,

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. In our membership contract, the last benefit listed is a Preferred Member Discount which includes all pre-existing matters such as you mentioned above. Any matters that arise before the start of the membership are subject to assistance at a discounted rate, rather than being fully covered. Please contact our offices at 800-654-7757 between 7-7 CST Monday-Friday for assistance with plans and benefits or by email at MemberServices@legalshieldcorp.com, thank you!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2020

Been member for over 13 years, Learned a lot from this membership, save me many time money and time, It's great with traffic tickets, I got traffic ticket and fax them my ticket, they took care for online school and they guarantee no any point in my driving record, also they present me in the court, they contact me after 4 weeks with big, "Congratulation your ticket been dismiss," I did absolutely nothing other than faxing my ticket to LegalShield. They did 15 page documents review and advice me for my right with zero cost, Unlimited attorney access for any legal matters. They never late with response. What worth when you feel there is power full Legal Office standing for you in your bad days?

Hello Qutayba,

Thank you so much for a great review! We love to hear that our law firms are providing exceptional service, such as this! We appreciate you for taking the time to submit a positive review. Thank you!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2020

I contacted LegalShield over 3 months ago for Legal assistance with a breach of trust, where the Successor Trustee to my aunt & uncle’s California estate is not performing duties he is responsible for. Because Glantzlaw is in Florida, they had to refer me to a California Attorney. Apparently giving Glantz very brief info is considered my “consultation” where advice from the California attorney will be $300/hr, although being outside the county my aunt & uncle lived in, he cannot represent me.

My written contract with LegalShield regrading out-of-state matters states: “Provider Attorney will secure and pay for the services of attorney in the jurisdiction where the problem arises”. This is a lie. The contract also states I am entitled to “telephone consultations on unlimited legal matters” and “provider attorney will provide up to 1 hour of legal research at no charge if my legal matter cannot be adequately addressed”. This is another lie.

Glantzlaw also wants to charge to review the trust, which I am not contesting. There has been no personal discussion outside of an intake call. It’s apparent they have no interest in my legal matter, only in collecting what money they can. I have wasted $25/month for 5 years on a LegalShield membership. An atty referral service can get me a free consultation and half the hourly rate for additional work. While LegalShield’s contract looks great, I have received nothing that even comes close to what it promises.

Hello Sheri,

We are very sorry to hear of your experience and please note this is not something we take lightly. We aim to provide the best possible service to our members and appreciate your feedback. Please note, when a member requires a referral to another LegalShield network law firm, assistance (outside of consultation and document review) may be provided at our discounted rate, and would not provide fully covered assistance. Of course, every legal matter is different and laws vary per state so it would be best to file an Attorney Concern for this matter. Our dedicated team will investigate this matter and do everything we can to provide you with proper assistance. Please submit such concern at https://legalshield.typeform.com/to/pSnMnF, thank you!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2020

I signed up for LegalShield while I was dealing with a wrongful termination. I was at the end of my 90 day window to file a lawsuit and did not have an attorney.

I decided to file my own lawsuit and as I signed up for LegalShield I asked if they would act as consultant for questions I have as I walk my own case through the courts. I was told yes, I signed up. First question I asked was when I file the complaint do I need to include the elements of the statute violated so I don't get a failure to state a claim dismissal. The attorney was nice, personable and said put everything in, leave nothing out, and if I get a dismissal for failure to state a claim to just ask to amend the complaint.

I call again and ask, if I work in a state, the boss is in another state, the corporate office is in another state, which federal court do I file the lawsuit, is it the one for the city of the office where I worked? If I file in the wrong court and my 90 days expire, will I have lost the right to sue? The attorney said, "You must file in the right court and if you file in the wrong court and find out after the time expires you can't file again," but he couldn't tell me whether the right court is the location of the office I worked in when the discrimination took place.

I got a survey and filled it out stating it appears I need to know more legal things in order to speak with the attorney where I thought I could get consultation. The survey got attention and I consented to the survey results being shared with the law firm. I spoke with the law firm and was told that since I started the legal action the attorney can choose whether he is comfortable answering my questions. I said, the first question was stating a claim, it should have been easy to say I must include the information that would cover all of the elements. (It's really a cause of action and all causes of action have elements that must be stated and proven to win a case, if one element of a cause is not stated the complaint can be defective and fail to state a claim for which relief can be granted...amending it would mean fixing that defect or the amended complaint would still be defective and the lawsuit would be dismissed). Any attorney can answer that question.

Anyone hired to look on the internet for answers would have to know to look up "causes of actions" and I didn't use those words. The second question was a jurisdiction question and any attorney would know that as well. It seems the law firm does not have attorneys but maybe people who want to be paralegal or someone who is hired to do research on the internet. I was dissatisfied and told the law firm they are not what I need. I was told since I have the service to let them do my will. I don't need a will and I decided to cancel the service. No one from LegalShield contacted me after the call with the law firm. LegalShield says all calls are recorded but I am uncertain if calls from law firms to me are recorded.

I told the law firm, the problem I have with an attorney choosing to not answer a question is like me asking a question about a rule of court and an attorney stating that since I started a legal action without them, they can't answer the question about what a particular rule is stating. I said, court rules have nothing to do with interfering with the case. I said I should not have said I'd start my own action, as I believe the question would have been treated the same. I don't believe I was speaking with an attorney. I do believe the law firm exists. It's probably a shell for legal services and doesn't have lawyers. I didn't vet the people I spoke with; to find out their legal experience. I took for granted they were lawyers because they worked for LegalShield.

My personal opinion is they are not lawyers or if they are, they are fresh out of law school with no private practice and they are learning law from out questions or they have a template they can use for repetitive legal issues like traffic tickets, wills, divorces, disputes. District Court had a Title VII complaint I filled out for the lawsuit, because I contacted the EEOC and got the required right to sue letter, before trying to sue the employer in federal court. I had LegalShield for a week. How long must you have a service to realize it is not useful to you? How many questions that are unanswered or answered below your expectations before you realize a service is not for you? Is it a requirement that I give LegalShield a chance to be the legal service I need? Is it a requirement that I decide based on experience whether I have what I purchased?

The website states things I thought was part of the offer, that I did not receive and things I didn't need that were listed as services available. I would hate to have paid for years only to find out the assigned law firm can't help me with my legal needs. You have an account to log into,, but you can't modify the information..your credit card remains and cannot be edited. There is no cancel service option nor is there a FAQ for how to cancel. I had to locate "contact us" and email a cancel request. It is questionable that the site doesn't inform you of how to cancel the service. Every service I use, auto, email, cell, storage, subscription, bank account, etc...has a how to cancel link or FAQ. LegalShield, a legal service, does not provide the legal details of how to cancel the legal services and that is not oversight, it is intentional.

Why do I saw this? Because people cancel the service and they know they don't have the information online so we are canceling by calling them or emailing them and most of us are probably telling them we could not find out how to cancel the service when we logged into the LegalShield account, so we called or emailed to ask them to do it. I would not recommend the service and I have no idea the quality of the wills that are produced by the lawyers, but it may be some default format and hopefully no one has issues with things not stated that should have been included. A one size fits some legal service, is my experience. I learned more from Larry ** Jurisdictionary course and that's how I knew legal things to know I was not getting the legal assistance I thought I was purchasing.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2020

I will never be without this service! The law firm has helped my family to save thousands of dollars over the last 15 years. Having an app to reach a lawyer 24/7/365 for emergencies is great peace of mind. This service can be used in every state, so no matter where you are in the U.S. they can help you. The member perks are awesome too. We also use the IDShield service. They can be reached 24/7/365 too if our identity is stolen.

Hello Sue,

Thank you so much for the great review! We appreciate your time and enjoy reading success stories just like this one! We are so glad to hear you are also a member of IDShield! Thank you for the feedback!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2020

Their customer service rep Sarah said she would call me back the same day, on Sep 30, 2020, but she never did. The other staff on Oct 2, 2020 took my registration info, including credit card information, but failed to sign me up, failed to email me receipt and registration information. The supervisor who knew their staffs making mistakes said Legal Shield will not offer any discount for any circumstances, which is very disappointing. In my opinion, a company who does not pay the cost of its mistake is not really a responsible company.

Hello Benson,

We apologize for any frustration that may have come with this experience. We can understand how this could be disheartening. We hate to hear of any experience such as this and offer our apology. Please note if you had been charged and are wanting a refund you would need to email MemberServices@legalshieldcorp.com. Should you have any other concerns or questions please send us an email and we would be happy to look into your concerns. Thank you!

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

Every single time I called my law firm I was told that my question wasn’t covered and they couldn’t help me. Sometimes they referred me out to non-LegalShield firms, one of whom was appallingly rude to me and the other one appeared to be intoxicated. This program is a scam and only a select few, with the most basic questions that one could get answered on Google, qualify for any real help. I am furious with how I was treated.

Hello Bridget,

We apologize for your experience as this is not something that happens often with our services. Any time you are referred to another law firm, please note it would be a law firm within the LegalShield network. Did you file an Attorney concern so that our team can look into the matter? If you are still an active member of LegalShield, it's not too late to have this matter investigated. Please contact our team at 800-654-7757 between 7-7 CST Monday-Friday for assistance. We appreciate you and your time, thank you!

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

I had a membership for all of an hour, realized it was useless (no pre-existing issues are covered which is conveniently not mentioned anywhere during signup) and IMMEDIATELY cancelled. I called to confirm that I'd get a full refund which the company said I would but that it could take up to 15 business days (an absurd amount of time as it takes a fraction of a second for the money to leave my bank account to them). After 15 business days I called, it took some time to confirm that I was even due a refund and I was told "We're working on it and that it can take up to 60 days." When I said I was told it can take UP TO 15 business days I was told, "Well it usually does but it can take longer, I have no guess when it will be processed." What a disgusting company to make someone jump through hoops and wait months to get a refund for a service they never used.

Hello Michael,

We are very sorry to hear about your experience and would like to offer some insight on this matter. We apologize if you were told incorrectly but a refund can take anywhere between 15-60 days depending on the bank and their policies. All refunds are reviewed for approval by Management and can take the above time frame mentioned in order to fully process. Should you have any additional concerns or questions, please email MemberServices@legalshieldcorp.com, thank you!

Original review: Sept. 23, 2020

A friend of mine talked me into signing up with them, had a legal problem. The attorney provided very little help, most of her replies were, "I'm not allowed to answer that question, or help you with the process." What good is paying for a service, that gives you zero help? It's better to spend your money with a real attorney, than with these people.

Hello J,

We apologize for the lack of service you experienced and would like to provide some insight. Consultation and document review are fully covered benefits of our plans, however, sometimes there are questions or legal matters in which our law firm is unable to assist with, such as military law, tribal law, conflict of interest, etc. We can certainly investigate why your law firm would not provide any assistance, as this is not something that typically happens. Please contact our team at 800-654-7757 between 7-7 CST Monday-Friday or by email at MemberServices@legalshieldcorp.com, for help with filing an Attorney concern. Thank you for your time.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2020

My experience with LS over the past year and a half is disappointing. I have been using them for help with dealing with my landlord stealing from me through deception. Every time I call I wait for hours for a call back. The call is from a different lawyer every time, never once have they even familiarized themselves with the files and had no idea of the specifics of the case. I spend 20 - 30 minutes bringing them up to speed and they then tell me how the previous lawyer who directed me was wrong, and then they confuse the issue by telling me how they would have done it. I have spoken to at least 4 LS lawyers on this, one seemed competent but gave me terrible advice which has forced me to start a small claims case from scratch. The others were condescending, rude and demeaning of their own colleagues.

The one time I needed actual small claims help for court they wanted a huge retainer, from another lawyer that had not even bothered to look at the 6 month long records. I've been in business for myself for 28 years and have had dealing with multitudes of lawyers. Unless it is simple document review you will be wasting your money and time with this service.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2020

A waste of money! They are no kind of help whatsoever!!! You pay money for services they cannot provide and basically I just paid 25$ for 6 months for absolutely nothing! Legal Shield is a fraud!!! They make money off taking people's money without being able to really help you! You are better off paying your own lawyer as I did! They kept my money as well after I emailed my complaint! I've heard no response! What a fraud!!!!

Hello Tanisha,

We apologize for your experience. We would love to take a deeper look into your matter to find out exactly what happened and to be able to provide some insight as we are unsure of the situation at hand. Please make sure you sent any request to Customer Care to the email address: MemberServices@legalshieldcorp.com. Please note, a refund/cancellation request must be made in writing such as by email, mail, or fax, before it can be reviewed by management and processed. We are unable to provide a refund just from a complaint without an investigation. We appreciate your time, thank you!

LegalShield Company Information

1972
Formerly Named:
Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.
1 Prepaid Way