Find a Legal Services partner

Help me decide
  2. Legal Services

LegalShield

formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.

3.5/5 (188 ratings)
Find a Legal Services partner

Get access to verified lawyers today

Ask for help 24/7 on JustAnswer

Get Started

About LegalShield

More than 4.1 million members have turned to LegalShield for advice on estate planning, consumer and credit protection, benefits disputes and auto and driving issues. LegalShield assists families, individuals, small businesses and human resources professionals with legal problems related to immigration, personal injury and financial concerns. LegalShield offers services in all 50 states and four Canadian provinces, and the company partners with law firms to answer legal questions and provide legal help.

Pros

• 24/7 emergency legal assistance
  • Serves individuals and businesses
  • Affordable legal plans

Cons

• Can’t pause services
  • Membership costs vary by region

Bottom Line

LegalShield partners with law firms in the U.S. and Canada to offer assistance with everything from speeding tickets to court representation at an accessible price point.

Get access to verified lawyers today

Ask for help 24/7 on JustAnswer

Get Started

LegalShield Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LegalShield?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about LegalShield?

Original review: May 10, 2021

$40.00/month for legal services sounds great, right? Absolutely!... if it's true. I used this service for 12 months. The quality of work by the attorneys was absolutely awful. Your membership is supposed to include one hour of research time on top of free consultations. It's supposed to also include the review of documents less than 15 pages for free.

Here's what you actually get: 1) 90% of the consultation time is spent listening to a legal licensee constantly plug why you need an attorney and why you need to pay thousands of dollars for more "discounted services", which are not discounted at all compared with fair market value. 2) When you ask legal questions, you're constantly told that the questions are not specific enough and, therefore, will require an hourly rate for "researching". 3) The review service is terrible. A few chicken-scratch notes with absolutely no suggestions on how to better a contract.

If you're looking for legal advice for your business, I recommend this. 1) Follow the 10 commandments and BE GOOD TO PEOPLE. This solves 99% of your potential legal issues. 2) Read the state and local laws governing your business. 3) Set up the business with asset protections. If you get into legal trouble with the business and cannot settle for a reasonable amount, bankrupt the business and start over. Keep in mind this fact, even a bad attorney charges an average of about $300.00 per hour. Small claims court caps are usually $10,000.00 or less. THAT CAP IS LESS THAN 40 BILLABLE HOURS, a mere one week of work.

LegalShield response

Hello James, Thank you for providing us with feedback. We appreciate hearing from our members, although we’re sorry that your experience appears to have been unsatisfactory. LegalShield aims to provide the best customer service possible, and for our attorneys to provide members with the most successful outcome for their legal matters while adhering to the benefits provided with the membership. We hope you will take just a moment to submit your feedback to LegalShield Customer Care by submitting a service concern form at https://legalshield.typeform.com/to/pSnMnF. Thank you again for bringing your concerns to our attention.

Original review: March 22, 2021

Need information on restraining order and obtaining legal conservatorship for spouse with dementia. Called first thing in morning and sat around phone all day. Called back two more times to see when they would call. Lots of promises but, no call. So now I have to go to court unprepared.

LegalShield response

Hello Jana, Thank you for providing us with feedback. We appreciate hearing from our members, though we’re sorry that your experience appears to have been unsatisfactory. LegalShield aims to provide the best customer service possible, and for our attorneys to provide members with the most successful outcome for their legal matters while upholding & adhering to CDC guidelines & local laws around the usage of face masks. We strongly encourage you to submit a concern to LegalShield Customer Care at https://legalshield.typeform.com/to/pSnMnF. Thank you again for bringing your concerns to our attention.

Original review: March 5, 2021

Such a waste. I signed up through my employer and have never even been able to access my account or look at exactly what the benefit is. Tried customer service several times, still no access to my account.

LegalShield response

Hello Misty, we apologize for your experience and would love to assist you properly. Please contact our team by phone at 800-654-7757 between 7-7 CST Monday-Friday or by live chat at https://home-c4.incontact.com/inContact/ChatClient/ChatClientPatron.aspx?poc=785ac45b-4579-4198-9376-359d21b87f27&bu=4595114. If you prefer you are more than welcome to request to speak to someone in Management for assistance with locating your account and our team will gladly assist. Thank you!

Original review: March 4, 2021

Got a lawyer for a speeding ticket. They did nothing to help. I don’t think they even bothered. On top of it the lawyer was out of state. I thought these were supposed to be local lawyers? It was so disappointing and too late to hire a local attorney. I have never experienced having a lawyer in a speeding ticket case not be able to help someone. If lawyers can get off wife beaters and murderers you’re telling me you can’t help someone with a speeding ticket?! Trash. Pure trash.

LegalShield response

Hello Mary, Thank you for providing us with feedback. We appreciate hearing from our members, although we’re sorry that your experience appears to have been unsatisfactory. LegalShield aims to provide the best customer service possible, and for our attorneys to provide members with the most successful outcome for their legal matters while adhering to the benefits provided with the membership. We hope you will take just a moment to submit your feedback to LegalShield Customer Care by submitting a service concern form at https://legalshield.typeform.com/to/pSnMnF. Thank you again for bringing your concerns to our attention.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

When you need their legal services, they will send you to a law office near you for consultation. If you get into an agreement with LegalShield and wish to terminate your contract, make sure you write down the day, time and name of the agent you spoke to, and also make sure to send an email to support@legalshieldcorp.com. Then, have them acknowledge it. Otherwise they will keep charging you and if you complain they send you to the small letter of the agreement. Good Luck.

Hello Luis,

We apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced while trying to cancel your plan. We appreciate your feedback and will send this information to the appropriate team for future use and consideration. We appreciate you and your time. Please email MemberServices@legalshieldcorp.com should you need additional assistance, thank you.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2020

I signed up for service and never heard from them. I called them once and they said "there's been a complication and we need more time to process your application". Then I still did not hear from them and called again and they said "your application was denied and unfortunately we will not be refunding your membership charge." I said "then why am I not getting service?" They said "That's company option". I said "Then why am I not getting refunded?" They said "Company option". I said "I don't understand, what does that even mean?" They just repeated, "Company option." It was very strange, and certainly not right. I had to call my bank to file a dispute and seek out other legal services. Don't waste your time or money on these scammers!

LegalShield response

Hello Brian, we apologize for your experience as we would like to provide some type of understanding. Although we are unable to locate your application at this time, due to the lack of information provided, you should have received a letter in the mail explaining why the "company option" was chosen. This can be for a number of things such as payment information could not supply a successful payment, conflict of interest, etc. Should you have concerns regarding a refund please email MemberServices@legalshieldcorp.com, thank you!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2020

I called Fri 9 am for a lawyer to help me and I was told they would call in 4-8 hours and now their office is closed and I haven’t heard from anyone, I’m told I have to wait till Mon, terrible service.

Hello,

We apologize for your experience and would like to offer some insight. Normally if something such as this happens, it is because our law firm requires additional time for research or investigating of the matter at hand. We understand how this can be frustrating but rest assured, we are doing everything we can to make sure you get the best possible legal assistance. Please send and further concerns to our email address: MemberServices@legalshieldcorp.com, thank you!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2020

I bought this rider, and now that I need to use it, find that Legal Shield will not cover any lawsuit that comes against you that cites incidents that occurred before you bought the insurance. Since most lawsuits do occur about past issues, which sometimes happened years earlier, don't count on getting any use out of this insurance rider for a long, long time. It is a ripoff. The lawsuit against me was filed on 11/4/2020, about 4 or 5 months after I purchased the insurance. So I thought I was covered. But the incident that I am being sued about happened in 2018. So Legal Shield has a very sketchy, at least in my opinion, out. To say I am unhappy is an understatement. What a crock!

Hello April,

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. In our membership contract, the last benefit listed is a Preferred Member Discount which includes all pre-existing matters such as you mentioned above. Any matters that arise before the start of the membership are subject to assistance at a discounted rate, rather than being fully covered. Please contact our offices at 800-654-7757 between 7-7 CST Monday-Friday for assistance with plans and benefits or by email at MemberServices@legalshieldcorp.com, thank you!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2020

I contacted LegalShield over 3 months ago for Legal assistance with a breach of trust, where the Successor Trustee to my aunt & uncle’s California estate is not performing duties he is responsible for. Because Glantzlaw is in Florida, they had to refer me to a California Attorney. Apparently giving Glantz very brief info is considered my “consultation” where advice from the California attorney will be $300/hr, although being outside the county my aunt & uncle lived in, he cannot represent me.

My written contract with LegalShield regrading out-of-state matters states: “Provider Attorney will secure and pay for the services of attorney in the jurisdiction where the problem arises”. This is a lie. The contract also states I am entitled to “telephone consultations on unlimited legal matters” and “provider attorney will provide up to 1 hour of legal research at no charge if my legal matter cannot be adequately addressed”. This is another lie.

Glantzlaw also wants to charge to review the trust, which I am not contesting. There has been no personal discussion outside of an intake call. It’s apparent they have no interest in my legal matter, only in collecting what money they can. I have wasted $25/month for 5 years on a LegalShield membership. An atty referral service can get me a free consultation and half the hourly rate for additional work. While LegalShield’s contract looks great, I have received nothing that even comes close to what it promises.

Hello Sheri,

We are very sorry to hear of your experience and please note this is not something we take lightly. We aim to provide the best possible service to our members and appreciate your feedback. Please note, when a member requires a referral to another LegalShield network law firm, assistance (outside of consultation and document review) may be provided at our discounted rate, and would not provide fully covered assistance. Of course, every legal matter is different and laws vary per state so it would be best to file an Attorney Concern for this matter. Our dedicated team will investigate this matter and do everything we can to provide you with proper assistance. Please submit such concern at https://legalshield.typeform.com/to/pSnMnF, thank you!

Original review: Oct. 27, 2020

I signed up for LegalShield while I was dealing with a wrongful termination. I was at the end of my 90 day window to file a lawsuit and did not have an attorney.

I decided to file my own lawsuit and as I signed up for LegalShield I asked if they would act as consultant for questions I have as I walk my own case through the courts. I was told yes, I signed up. First question I asked was when I file the complaint do I need to include the elements of the statute violated so I don't get a failure to state a claim dismissal. The attorney was nice, personable and said put everything in, leave nothing out, and if I get a dismissal for failure to state a claim to just ask to amend the complaint.

I call again and ask, if I work in a state, the boss is in another state, the corporate office is in another state, which federal court do I file the lawsuit, is it the one for the city of the office where I worked? If I file in the wrong court and my 90 days expire, will I have lost the right to sue? The attorney said, "You must file in the right court and if you file in the wrong court and find out after the time expires you can't file again," but he couldn't tell me whether the right court is the location of the office I worked in when the discrimination took place.

I got a survey and filled it out stating it appears I need to know more legal things in order to speak with the attorney where I thought I could get consultation. The survey got attention and I consented to the survey results being shared with the law firm. I spoke with the law firm and was told that since I started the legal action the attorney can choose whether he is comfortable answering my questions. I said, the first question was stating a claim, it should have been easy to say I must include the information that would cover all of the elements. (It's really a cause of action and all causes of action have elements that must be stated and proven to win a case, if one element of a cause is not stated the complaint can be defective and fail to state a claim for which relief can be granted...amending it would mean fixing that defect or the amended complaint would still be defective and the lawsuit would be dismissed). Any attorney can answer that question.

Anyone hired to look on the internet for answers would have to know to look up "causes of actions" and I didn't use those words. The second question was a jurisdiction question and any attorney would know that as well. It seems the law firm does not have attorneys but maybe people who want to be paralegal or someone who is hired to do research on the internet. I was dissatisfied and told the law firm they are not what I need. I was told since I have the service to let them do my will. I don't need a will and I decided to cancel the service. No one from LegalShield contacted me after the call with the law firm. LegalShield says all calls are recorded but I am uncertain if calls from law firms to me are recorded.

I told the law firm, the problem I have with an attorney choosing to not answer a question is like me asking a question about a rule of court and an attorney stating that since I started a legal action without them, they can't answer the question about what a particular rule is stating. I said, court rules have nothing to do with interfering with the case. I said I should not have said I'd start my own action, as I believe the question would have been treated the same. I don't believe I was speaking with an attorney. I do believe the law firm exists. It's probably a shell for legal services and doesn't have lawyers. I didn't vet the people I spoke with; to find out their legal experience. I took for granted they were lawyers because they worked for LegalShield.

My personal opinion is they are not lawyers or if they are, they are fresh out of law school with no private practice and they are learning law from out questions or they have a template they can use for repetitive legal issues like traffic tickets, wills, divorces, disputes. District Court had a Title VII complaint I filled out for the lawsuit, because I contacted the EEOC and got the required right to sue letter, before trying to sue the employer in federal court. I had LegalShield for a week. How long must you have a service to realize it is not useful to you? How many questions that are unanswered or answered below your expectations before you realize a service is not for you? Is it a requirement that I give LegalShield a chance to be the legal service I need? Is it a requirement that I decide based on experience whether I have what I purchased?

The website states things I thought was part of the offer, that I did not receive and things I didn't need that were listed as services available. I would hate to have paid for years only to find out the assigned law firm can't help me with my legal needs. You have an account to log into,, but you can't modify the information..your credit card remains and cannot be edited. There is no cancel service option nor is there a FAQ for how to cancel. I had to locate "contact us" and email a cancel request. It is questionable that the site doesn't inform you of how to cancel the service. Every service I use, auto, email, cell, storage, subscription, bank account, etc...has a how to cancel link or FAQ. LegalShield, a legal service, does not provide the legal details of how to cancel the legal services and that is not oversight, it is intentional.

Why do I saw this? Because people cancel the service and they know they don't have the information online so we are canceling by calling them or emailing them and most of us are probably telling them we could not find out how to cancel the service when we logged into the LegalShield account, so we called or emailed to ask them to do it. I would not recommend the service and I have no idea the quality of the wills that are produced by the lawyers, but it may be some default format and hopefully no one has issues with things not stated that should have been included. A one size fits some legal service, is my experience. I learned more from Larry ** Jurisdictionary course and that's how I knew legal things to know I was not getting the legal assistance I thought I was purchasing.

LegalShield Company Information

1972
Formerly Named:
Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.
1 Prepaid Way