LegalShield

formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.

1.4/5 (39 ratings)

Author picture
Written by Lorraine Roberte
Edited by Shawn Richardson

About LegalShield

LegalShield works with a network of lawyers that can offer legal advice and help with a variety of legal issues. It operates everywhere in the U.S. and across all of Canada, and assistance is available 24/7 for certain emergency situations. LegalShield generally works on a monthly membership basis, and plans are available for individuals, families and businesses.

Pros

• Serves individuals and businesses
  • Unlimited legal advice
  • No retainer fee needed
  • 24/7 emergency legal assistance

Cons

• Limited services in Massachusetts

Bottom Line

LegalShield partners with law firms to offer assistance with everything from speeding tickets to court representation. However, not every situation is covered by your monthly membership fee, so be prepared for other costs.

Get access to verified lawyers today

Ask for help 24/7 on JustAnswer

Get Started

LegalShield Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LegalShield?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about LegalShield?

Original review: July 27, 2022

Poor Customer Service. One attorney commented that they have been coddled. The attorneys don’t seem to be educated or experienced in their scope. Several of my issues were not remedied. They can care less about people's issues. Many services promised but not delivered.

LegalShield response

Susan, thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. We are disappointed to hear that information was not communicated well and that you found it challenging to obtain the clear support you needed. We aim to provide the best customer service possible, and for our lawyers to provide members with the most successful outcome for their legal matters while adhering to the benefits provided with the membership.

We hope you’ll give us another chance to show you the service we’re truly capable of providing. We would like the opportunity to investigate this further to help bring a resolution. To do so, we need a bit more of your information. Please submit our Attorney Service Concern Form at https://legalshield.typeform.com/to/pSnMnF, and a member of our team will reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: July 14, 2022

LegalShield is very unprofessional and potentially dangerous to third parties, this company does not screen who signs up for their services, my granddaughter's father doesn’t have visitation rights to see her and it’s court ordered, Legal Shield allowed a third party that is not the parent to try to retain services pretending to be my granddaughter's mother and somehow the lawyers partnered they acquired addresses that the father wasn’t supposed to have and gave it to him and the third party putting other's safety at risk. The lack of accountability of the company is unprofessional, our lawyers tried to call legal shield and their partners attorney and we have not got a response, they give the run around along with a nasty attitude. We had to file a police report against the third party who retained Legal Shield's services claiming to be my granddaughter's mother, this company has a poor reputation, if you are dealing with this company be careful.

LegalShield response

Thank you for bringing your concern to our attention. Due to confidentiality, we can only address a PPLSI Member regarding pending legal matters. For the last 50 years, we’ve worked to build long-standing partnerships with high-quality law firms across the U.S. and Canada. We have systems to uphold our required legal and ethical qualifications for each provider firm in our network. How a legal issue is remedied by the courts is the responsibility of the legal system. PPLSI has no authority or control over the ruling or overturning of legal actions of the legal system. We have systems and resources in place for members to notify us if they are not satisfied with the services provided. We encourage all members with questions about their specific membership benefits or service complaints to contact our Member Services Team at (800)-654-7757 between 7-7 CST Monday-Friday, where a team member would be happy to provide support.

Original review: June 24, 2022

Prior to the "Great Pandemic" I had built up a company I had started in 2007 and we were making money in construction. By the end of 2021 it was obvious things weren't getting better anytime soon. Between customers failing to pay, investment capital holding up new projects, and supply chain issues driving up the cost of materials, I was in way over my head. After spending an entire year just paying the interest on personal debt I finally joined LegalShield and had a conversation with Randy ** in the Tacoma office.

Randy was patient and listened intently as we went through all the different facets. Initially he advised me against going through with it due to various reasons. Since there was a slim chance things could work out. He pointed out some indicators to watch for as time went on. Six months later events caused the indicators to manifest, and when I contacted him again to explain, he agreed to proceed. They sent some questionnaires and after I filled them out Randy and I spoke several times and at great length. His paralegal, Amy, is a living angel. There were a total of 56 pages in the final Chapter 7 filing. I was amazed at her friendly and supportive help getting through some of the sections, and the huge amount of work sorting everything out into the correct category.

Randy was very informative, taking the time to make sure I understood my exact standing, what to expect, and a very honest view of what the most probable outcome would be for me. The key is honesty. If you are straightforward with them, they will be the same. Don't try to hide anything, they are not there to judge you, they are only interested in helping.

My bankruptcy was filed 12/31/2021 and discharged in May of 2022. Is it painless? No, there are rules, and you just can't cheat. But I can promise that if you are lucky enough to wind up with Randy ** as your attorney the process will be surprisingly low stress, and that 10 ton weight that's been crushing you will suddenly be gone. It will then be up to you to build your new life without feeling like you're drowning in debt every day. I've never left a review like this for anyone before, but then, no one has ever earned my admiration like the Randy and Amy team at Legal Shield, Tacoma.

LegalShield response

Brian, we are so thankful to hear about your experience and success utilizing your membership benefits! We couldn't agree more with you; finding solutions to your legal issues does not have to be complicated or expensive. We are proud that our valued members just like yourself can live more and worry less, knowing they have a power of a law firm on their side. Thank you for choosing LegalShield!

Original review: June 23, 2022

If they can’t understand handling of my personal info, how much more poorly will they handle your legal needs? I decided to cancel service after finding the website advertised any subject outside your plan, you get 25% discount. What I got: the actual contract distinguished personal and business (the website does not). Suddenly my costs doubled just to have a simple, small business form made. They have no interest keeping your data secure in any reasonable manner. Their website design and data management is so substandard to the point a young kid could design it, and in fact some of the worst I’ve seen in my 25 yrs in the industry. They don’t offer any form of double authentication. When I call, they say they removed the credit card info - but it’s only when I say “but I’m logged in and see it” they finally distinguish it’s from their internal system and not my profile (yet the whole time I was very specific I wanted my profile info deleted).

I asked by email, with my cancel request, to delete my login, profile and credit card info. It’s been 6 weeks and I’ve received one email saying “we received your request”. No confirmation yet, of actual cancellation of the plan nor my data purge request. I can still log in, still see my credit card info and profile. It still shows my plan listed.

LegalShield response

Pamela, thank you for providing feedback and bringing your concerns to our attention. We apologize for any confusion you experienced during the sign-up process regarding the separate personal and business coverage offered. When selecting a plan at www.legalshield.com, users are given the choice between a personal plan for individuals and families, a plan for small businesses, and a plan for starting a business. Plan summaries shown under each choice contain a list of the benefits available and show if a plan contains specific business-related coverage or not.

Regarding data management and our Privacy policies, keeping customer information private is a priority for PPLSI, its subsidiaries and affiliates. To enable us to provide our membership plans, we need to collect certain personal information. We keep information for as long as is necessary for our business purposes and will dispose of all information in accordance with federal, state, and local law and our company policies, which can be located by visiting https://www.pplsi.com/privacy-policy/. For assistance with removing your online account and confirming the status of your membership, our Member Services team can best assist with this matter over the phone at (800)-654-7757 between 7-7 CST Monday-Friday, please feel free to request speaking to Management. Thank you.

Original review: June 18, 2022

I submitted a document I needed to sign through the LegalShield app. and requested that a Lawyer review it for any red flags. A Lawyer called me and assured me there was nothing of concern in the document but also made sure I understood everything it said and any possible consequences of my signing it. This was way easier than my reading it and attempting to understand all the legal jargon in the document... and it did not cost any extra beyond the low monthly subscription fee.

LegalShield response

Sheryl, we are so glad to hear about the success you've had utilizing your membership benefits. We’re building a future where every person can live without worrying about how they’ll afford legal services or respond to identity theft. We put more power in people’s hands by using technology that can make justice and online security accessible to everyone. Thank you for the wonderful feedback and for choosing LegalShield!

Original review: June 10, 2022

I am a military veteran. I have paid for Legal Shield membership for over 10 years, the one time that I needed my services for a tax suit the attorneys I was forced to use, Riling, Burkhead and Nitcher in Kansas, refused to send my Missouri case to Dubail Judge in MO, where I used to reside which is where trial would also take place, not Kansas. As a veteran I also called in to have them work another case which was a veteran matter, and for a second time I was given the lowest rate lawyer service I could imagine. When the attorney called me on that matter he stated he couldn't even remember where he read part of the law he was quoting to me as legal advice. This was the managing partner of that firm. How can anyone expect the legal advice they get as sound advice when the attorney can't remember where he read something he's advising you on?

Now further into my case, when I filed a complaint with Legal Shield corporate they sided with the law firm, further to that, when I stated if they would not review the actions they took not following Legal Shield Procedure for referral on out of state cases, I would get my money back that I paid in. I filed a my complaint because the advice that the Kansas Firm gave me, was incorrect and misleading, they wanted the case off their book to just get paid is how it seemed to me. Because I had to learn of the procedure form the opposing counsel and judge, not the attorneys who were supposed to be advising me.

If they would have sent me to the lawyers I had requested and should have been sent to, the advice and counsel I would have received would have been better. But instead, Legal Shield Cancelled my membership stating "Company Decision", no one called me, emailed me, not to mention this was directly after the Lawyer Mike Riling, said he would call me back on Thursday with an update to the law he couldn't remember that he had just read, when in reality they worked with Legal Shield on Wednesday to cancel my membership.

So I had 300 hours of trial defense, gone, no refund, I have two legal matters that I now have to hire other attorneys for all because I put my trust in Legal Shield to be there when I needed it. But when I threatened to use my membership which I was actively trying to save for issues like this, they cancel it because of what? Because I threatened to give you legal matters, especially a Veteran issue?! Yet cancel a member after over a decade of paying for your services and then be told, sucks to be YOU!

That is my experience with Legal Shield and Riling, Burkhead and Nitcher in Kansas, Legal Shield refuses to tell me the reason for cancellation, refuses to refund me, refuses to respond, and refuses to respond to the BBB. That is the company I paid money to for over a decade. I strongly urge anyone to consider any other service or firms before putting your faith in this company that they will be there when you need them.

LegalShield response

Brandon, we understand your concern and we would like to provide some clarification on this matter. The LegalShield subscription model is based on a provider law firm network and schedule of benefits within our legal service plan contract. We have a process in place to ensure that members have access to lawyers that are competent and experienced in the area of law needed as well as licensed appropriately. Our system does not allow for "Attorney-of-choice". We also strictly adhere to our contracted schedule of benefits. Services outside of the schedule of benefits are typically available at a reduced hourly rate.

In regard to the status of your membership, though it is rare, there are some reasons a membership may be canceled per company option, whether by PPLSI or a PPLSI Provider Law Firm. This information can be located in any membership contract as well as online at: http://contracts.legalshield.com/contracts/LSESSOK.821.pdf. When a membership is canceled per company option, PPLSI notifies the member by a dated and signed letter, explaining the matter and advising if any refund will be processed. If the Company cancels the Contract, Services will only be provided for those events reported in writing to the Provider Law Firm during the Eligibility Period. As a mission-based company, dedicated to protecting and empowering people with the tools and services needed to affordably live a just and secure life, this is option is not taken lightly and only implemented when necessary. We can understand how this may be upsetting. If you feel that this decision was made in error, please contact our Member Service team at (800)-654-7757 between 7-7 CST Monday-Friday and we would be happy to provide further details if needed.

Original review: May 6, 2022

At the recommendation of the provider, I was switched to a personal package that I was told included trial defense from a business package that also had trial defense. I was sued by a renter and was told I had coverage by the LegalShield provider. Then I was told I didn't have coverage followed by I had coverage then finally I didn't have coverage. Meanwhile the Minneapolis affiliate told me they filed a counterclaim. After he quit I found out he did not. My claim was not tossed. I have since requested legal consults and it's been 2 days with no call back from LegalShield. My account is in good standing. This was a 900.00 claim. Managing LegalShield was more cost than the actual loss. Complaint on file at MN AG and MN bar. I will update this as it unfolds.

LegalShield response

Greg, thank you for your feedback and for making us aware of your experience. We want to help you get the support you need. To do so, we need a bit more info. Please submit our Attorney Service Concern Form at https://legalshield.typeform.com/to/pSnMnF, and a member of our team will reach out to you directly. If you prefer to speak to someone over the phone, please contact Member Services at (800)-654-7757 between 7-7 CST Monday-Friday and a member of our team will be happy to assist you. Thank you again and we look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: May 1, 2022

I signed up for Legalshield November 23, 2021. I attempted to use the service multiple times. The Attorneys sometimes responded but never followed up. Cancelling the service is HELL! When I tried to cancel my (worst experience of my life). The customer service agent began reading a 15 minute script (it's rude) explaining everything I was "losing". I asked multiple time, "please stop reading the script and cancel my subscription". He refused to stop. This lasted 15 minutes. Then after being on the phone with multiple people, one who just put me through to a recording of their cancellation policy.

Per the recording I had to "send an email, with my membership number and the word 'cancel'". I sent the email April 15th, only to receive an email stating the following: "You’ve Successfully Activated Your Account!" I checked my credit card statement April 29th and they're still charging me. Does anyone know how to read their code and stop them from taking your money?

LegalShield response

Mark, thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. We apologize for your experience and appreciate your feedback. Please note, as stated on our website as well as in our membership contracts, cancellations must be provided in writing. The easiest way to do so is by emailing us at support@legalshieldcorp.com with your name, membership number, phone number, and your request to cancel the membership. If a refund is requested please provide this in the email as well. All cancelations are processed, and refunds are reviewed by management. If you have further questions or would like to speak to someone directly on this matter, please contact us at (844)-714-8494 between 7-7 CST Monday-Friday and a member of our team will be happy to assist you. Thank you.

Original review: April 28, 2022

I subscribed for their service ($29.95 per month) and at first it seem great. But as time passed and I needed them again (now I prepaid 6 months in advance) they assigned me to Davis Miles McGuire (DMG) in Tempe, AZ. I needed help with a major tax question. I called DMG and after speaking to an attorney (no cost for this call) from their office I was referred me to another attorney, Elliott **. I made an appt with Elliott ($195.00). After consulting with Elliott, he was going to charge me another $2500 to research my tax needs and to provide CPA. Well, that went nowhere. I never heard from Elliott again. I attempted on three different dates to contact him and left messages to call me. He never did.

I called LegalShield and they said is not their problem. They have no control over the attorneys. They just collect their fee ($29.95 per month) and clients are on their own! I called the State of AZ Bar Association (Mr. **) and they said they could not force Elliott to respond. However, Mr. ** did contact Elliott and Elliott said, "Oh, I can not help him". After months of waiting this is all he has to say? I called DMG and they refused to refund my $195. I called LegalShield and they refused to offer full refund. DMG claims that they are "The Only Law Firm You Will Ever Need". This is a bunch of **. I found out the Elliott IS NOT WITH THEIR LAW FIRM. You should stay away from, LegalShield, DMG, and Elliott **. They take your money at every level and then refuse to help you.

LegalShield response

John, thank you for your review and for making us aware of your experience. Our mission is to protect and empower people with the tools and services needed to affordably live a just and secure life. We believe that no one should be left without affordable, accessible legal services and advice.

We apologize for your experience and we want to help you get the support you need. To do so, we need a bit more info. Please submit our Attorney Service Concern Form at https://legalshield.typeform.com/to/pSnMnF, and a member of our team will reach out to you directly. If you prefer to speak to someone please contact Member Services at 800-654-7757 between 7-7 CST Monday-Friday and our team will be happy to assist you with this matter as well as provide information on a refund request. We look forward to assisting you.

Original review: April 27, 2022

On 09/23/2021 I hired legal for a small one time case. I made all necessary arrangements on the phone with their rep Cordero who was also was my single point of contact. He assured me this was a one time. On 09/23/2021 I hired legal for a small one time case. I made all necessary arrangements on the phone with their rep Cordero who was also was my single point of contact. He assured me this was a one time payment.. On 07/04/2022 I discovered that LegalShield had been taking $53.85 from my bank account unauthorized every month since 10/23/2021 thru 03/23/2022.. As soon as I realized what was going on I called Cordero to see what happened, he expressed that was not supposed to have happened and he would take of it by getting my money back into my bank account.

After Calling Cordero the second time he blocked my number, I called him from a different number and he picked right up, I asked him to please unblock my number, he told me NO and gave me his supervisor's number. I called his supervisor Mr. **. Mr. ** expressed that he had spoken to Cordero on this matter and assured me he (**) would take of it.. So far I have not been contacted and now ** will not answer my phone calls or respond to my text. I've hit a brick wall with this organization. They took my money unauthorized and will not give it back. Arthur **.

LegalShield response
Arthur, thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. That is never an experience we want our members to have; we sincerely apologize.
The PPLSI Independent Associates instructed you incorrectly. Our members should always feel comfortable and are encouraged to contact our home office with questions about their membership benefits or service complaints.
I have confirmed that both of your memberships have been canceled. If you have further questions or would like to speak to someone about this directly, please contact our Member Services Team at (800)-654-7757 or via chat at www.legalshield.com, between 7-7 CST Monday-Friday, and a team member would be happy to provide support.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us; this has been addressed with the appropriate team members so that we may improve in the future.

Original review: March 29, 2022

You get nothing for the plan price. You want real legal action? Pay a lawyer thousands of dollars. This is just lunch money to them. All they did was write my landlord a letter, and dropped me like a sack of garbage. Save your money. Still having issues with my landlord. I'll just have to move because my "Lawyer" couldn't do anything to a certified slumlord.

LegalShield response

Alexander, thank you for your feedback. We're disappointed to hear that you feel our services did not meet your needs. We want every member to have a positive experience, even in those times when there may not be a legal solution available for the situation. We understand this type of situation can be frustrating. If you have further questions or would like to speak to someone directly on this matter, please contact our Member Service Team at (800)-654-7757 between 7-7 CST Monday-Friday, and a member of our team will be happy to assist you.

Original review: March 27, 2022

Legal Shield referred me to a law firm. What they don't tell you is that two of these lawyers were both disbarred in California & Florida. They take your money without representation. Being investigated by two states with the Bar Associations, State and Federal Government. We won't stop until they are investigated, fined and thrown out of Legal Shield!

LegalShield response

Robert, thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. For the last 49 years, we’ve worked to build long-standing partnerships with high-quality law firms across the U.S. and Canada. We have systems to uphold our required legal and ethical qualifications for each provider firm in our network.

We also have systems and resources in place for members to notify us if they are not satisfied with the services provided. We encourage all members with questions about their specific membership benefits or service complaints to contact our Member Services Team at (800)-654-7757 between 7-7 CST Monday-Friday, where a team member would be happy to provide support.

Original review: March 14, 2022

Customer service department needs A LOT of work. I called to cancel my membership, they said I needed to email them, so I did and didn't receive a reply til 5 day later. My law firm that I called multiple times was not helpful AT ALL. All they ever said was we need more information, every time I called about the same situation it was always something different needing more information. I felt as if they did not really care or make a effort to help. Thought it would be worth it but really a huge waste of my time. Disappointed.

LegalShield response

Katarina, we are disappointed to hear that your experience with LegalShield was anything less than exceptional. We greatly appreciate your feedback and are constantly looking for ways to improve our service to our members. We regret that you were unable to receive the assistance you needed while you were a member. Our dedicated teams have procedures in place for matters just like this and we would have been more than happy to help you and investigate this matter further. We appreciate your time, thank you.

Original review: March 5, 2022

I've been with LegalShield from 2006 until 2022. This is the worst legal ever in history. I've been with them for over 15yrs and plus they never told me what's included in my membership until I call in and ask about it. I only used this service 5 times. Three-time to send out letters and two-time for the court which the other person didn't show up which made the case easier. Meaning my lawyer's got paid $500+ for just saying hello and goodbye, twice. Now, here's my big problem. eBay has been abusing every single seller and buyer and getting away with it. eBay stole money from me and gave it to another buyer for a refund which I never sold anything to this person. The money that eBay stole from me was my process money from another sale which they gave to that person on a refund, which I didn't sell anything to. Plus, they have so many illegal hidden fees from, shipping, final fees, buying taxes, selling taxes, etc...

Anyways, I sent in a lot of evidence to LegalShield on my behalf about eBay on what they have been doing to me and thousands of other sellers and buyers. I even told him to google on Trustpilot eBay reviews. He told me, "I believe we got something here." (Duh, of course!) Anyways, after going through mental abuse from eBay for about a whole month and I was still sending in more evidence to my lawyer between that time. He sent in a letter, no response back from eBay. The lawyer calls me and tells me the dumbest news ever. His words, "I've had to bring this attention to my team and they kinda LAUGH at me... so the only thing I can do is refer you to another branch because WE can't take this case!" What? First of all, you don't call your client back (two weeks later) and tell them that your team laughs about a serious situation that's causing mental and physical abuse. When I agree to his referring to another branch...

I ask him would he tell the new lawyer what's was going on and send him all the information that I was sent to him. His words again; "I don't have time to do that, so you're on your own. I have other cases to worry about!!!!" That really pissed me off when he told me that after what I have been going through lately for a whole month. I reported the lawyer and customer service said they were going to get another one to call me back. Guess what? NOBODY HAVEN'T CALL ME BACK YET AND IT HAS BEEN TWO WEEKS SINCE I'VE HAD SPOKEN TO ANY LAWYER! Then I had another problem with WATA GAME's false advertisement. I was supposed to get my games back in 35 speed days. Well, I didn't receive them back so I gave LegalShield and call once again. I've sent evidence to LegalShield and show them other reviews online those other customers were experiencing the same problem.

Wata Games went online and had google shut down their reviews so they can cover up their own tracks from customers that were having a bad experience with them. LegalShield agreed that what Wata games were doing was false advertisements, etc... Legalshield calls some lawyer in Denver to take the case. Here goes the email from the lawyer that Legalshield referred me too. (Your LegalShield Membership entitles you to a 25% discount off my $450 hourly rate for legal services. Would you like to schedule a telephone call to discuss the "$1,500 retainer" required to engage Cantafio Nagel & Song PLLC? Thank you for your consideration.) When I google the law firm that Legalshield referred me to, they had very bad reviews. I took my chance and ignore the bad reviews and called the number that I was given by LegalShield. Well, the bad reviews are right! He wouldn't let me ask one question... All I keep on hearing is, I need money.

I told him I'll call him back and I called LegalShield back instead of him. Legalshield agreed with me and said that they are sorry for referring me to a high-price rude lawyer like that and there isn't anything else that they can do. I said, what???? Now, this was coming from a supervisor that works at LegalShield named Debbie. Meaning, LegalShield can't give me any more recourses and I'm on my own. Wow, really LegalShield?!?! Then a few days later this lawyer from LegalShield had called me back and said she would try to help. Laura D, sent out letters and emails to WATA games warning them of a lawsuit. She stated, return my game's back graded and the money that I paid for the games and $2500 dollar compensation fee.

Well, two weeks later I received one game back and no money and an email from WATA game's making up more excuses why they can't send out the other game. I sent the copy of the email to Laura and she even wasn't happy either with the WATA game's email response back to me. She told me, "Just wait until you receive the other game back and we'll take more action against them." She told me to call her back when I receive the other game and I said ok.

In the letter, Laura even stated to WATA games, "this matter will not simply go away." Now, two weeks later I got a PPLSI letter in the mail from LegalShield saying this, (dear, my name, based on circumstance and information we have, LegalShield will not be able to continue to provide contractual benefits and services under your membership. By means of this letter, we are informing you that we are canceling your membership contract with LegalShield and refunding the unused portion, which was only $11.35 cents.

When I have seen this letter I was confused and hurt because I didn't do anything wrong and plus, Laura D, was helping me. I called the number that was provided in the letter and they said, they don't know why my membership was canceled and to email member services. I did and guess what, no response back. I called three times back to LegalShield just to hear them say "we don't know why your membership was canceled and we can't tell you on our end." I said can you have a supervisor call me back. When the supervisor had called me back from LegalShield she said the reps had lied and could have told me the truth why the possibilities why your membership was canceled and the email that the reps provided to me was pointless. The reason was stated, fraud, no payment or we can't help you with your problem so instead of taking your money every month we'll just cancel your member's membership.

She said the only reason that she can see "why LegalShield" had canceled my membership is because LegalShield itself "can't" help me with my problems and Legalshield isn't for "YOU." I ask why? She said she doesn't have the information. I told her me and Laura D, was getting some progress done about WATA game's so what are you talking about. She said, "I'm sorry but there's nothing else I can tell you." I told her to even ask Laura that works at LegalShield and she wouldn't. I hung up the phone. Now you're telling me after paying LegalShield $17.00 a month from 2006-until 2022 that their service wasn't for me.

Really after all of the years of paying for a membership that I really didn't use at all and when I did I still didn't get the help that I needed?! Legalshield just scammed me for all of those years just to tell me that their services weren't for me! Legalshield needs to be reported in for scamming customers to the BBB FTC, ETC... STAY AWAY FROM LEGALSHIELD, PLEASE DO!

LegalShield response

Rome, we appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback and voice your concerns about this matter. We understand your concerns and we would like to provide some clarification. Though it is rare, there are some reasons a membership may be canceled per company option, whether by PPLSI or a PPLSI Provider Law Firm. This information is can be located in any membership contract as well as online at: http://contracts.legalshield.com/contracts/LSESSOK.821.pdf.

We can understand how this may be upsetting and we apologize for your experience. For further questions or concerns, please contact our Member Services team by email at MemberServices@legalshieldcorp.com, or by phone at 800-654-7757 between 7-7 CST Monday-Friday, and a member of our team will be happy to assist you. Thank you for your time.

Original review: March 2, 2022

Would never give them a bank account number. Never never. I canceled my membership and was assured by the rep that it was cancel now they are charging me again how to stop them from charging me. One star for a little help because they don't let me put no stars.

LegalShield response

Abdel, thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are sorry to hear that you are choosing to lose your affordable legal services. All cancellation requests must be provided in writing. The easiest way to do so is by emailing us at support@legalshieldcorp.com with your name, membership number, phone number, and your request to cancel the membership. We suggest contacting our Member Services team at 800-654-7757 between 7-7 CST Monday-Friday to confirm your request has been received, and a member of our team would be happy to help.

Original review: March 1, 2022

Very poor quality service and IRRESPONSIBLE law firm for us. We were happy to find a reasonable fees and legal service we needed but at last we felt we just wasted our time and money. This is just our feedback for our experience. We had two cases personal case and business case so we monthly subscribed two programs. None of them did work for our simple cases and the law firm we were assigned was joke. Literarily saying that they do not take care of their clients responsibly.

We were basically obligated to communicate with them via emails but every time auto response says it takes three business days no matter how simple inquires you email, they don't respond you thru the phone calls. However they don't even respond you unless you email multiple times. It took us more than two weeks to get ONE demand letter draft and emailed them to notify them of approval of the letter but the attorney left it for couple of days and kept asking us the approval of the letter again. We don't think they check out their clients' emails carefully and responsibly. Probably they don't care of the client uses this program for cheap price to use a legal service, we felt.

We felt we were assigned unluckily with a poor quality service so we called the LegalShield support to find another law firm but amazingly ONLY one law firm each state and roughly explained us to ask the same law firm for a referral to introduce another firm?! It's amazing service ask the subscriber to negotiate with law firm to find another firm by ourselves. The LegalShield support is NOT a support dept but they just a department to handle a complain and push back. As a typical idea about a sales talk, they all explain you only good part of their program but the service and program are not as good as they explain. Find a local attorney's office by the bar association without this program was hundred times better for us.

LegalShield response

Koichiro, thank you for your feedback and for bringing your concerns to our attention. We appreciate hearing from our members, although we’re sorry that your experience appears to have been unsatisfactory. We aim to provide the best customer service possible, and for our lawyers to provide members with the most successful outcome for their legal matters while adhering to the benefits provided with the membership.

We would like the opportunity to research this further and help get you the support and clarification that you need. To do so, we need a bit more information. Please submit our Attorney Service Concern Form at https://legalshield.typeform.com/to/pSnMnF and a member of our team will reach out to you directly. We look forward to assisting you, thank you.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2022

I called a many times asking them that is urgent and that they should call me back. They said "yes, of course". And of course nobody called me back... It so embarrassing. I paid service and didn't receive service, plus I wasted and time and energy relying on them. Second thing is that they employed person or accepted as a customer that they were advising me about, and then they kicked me out as client because of conflict of interest, instead they not to accept that person as a client from the same reason.

LegalShield response

Maja, Thank you for bringing your concern to our attention. Our Provider Law Firms strive to provide excellent service to our members, we apologize this was not your experience. We would like the opportunity to review this matter further and get you the assistance you need. To do so, please submit your feedback via our Attorney Service Concern Form: https://legalshield.typeform.com/to/pSnMnF and a dedicated member of our team will reach out to you directly. Thank you for your time.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2022

Their Write your Will Services is very questionable. Paralegal didn't even ask to see our past will or trust. Just put a simple will together and then didn't get it to use before the deadline. They don't have email or voicemail. Takes 30 minutes just to book an appointment with a paralegal. Never once talked to an attorney. When you try and contact Legal Shield through Facebook messenger, they send you to a instant chat that doesn't work and then a 800 # that has no humans and send you right back to the law firm. I am dropping our membership. Super cheap rates get you super poor service.

LegalShield response

Cindy, we appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback. To provide clarification on our communication processes, our phone lines, as well as our live chat feature, are serviced by live LegalShield representatives and we certainly apologize that you had trouble reaching assistance. For legal assistance, another option LegalShield offers members is the utilization of our mobile app to schedule appointments with your law firm directly.

We are sorry to hear that you are choosing to lose your affordable legal services, and we want to provide some clarification about our cancellation policy. All cancellation requests must be provided in writing. Please note, we can not accept verbal or written cancel requests via social media. To cancel please email your name, membership number, phone number, and request to cancel the membership to us at support@legalshieldcorp.com.

All cancelations are processed, and refunds are reviewed by management. This process can take up to 15-60 days. If after submitting your cancellation requests you still have not received your requested refund within 15-60 days, or if you have further questions and would like to discuss your options further, please contact our Member Service Team at (800)-654-7757 between 7-7 CST Monday-Friday. You may ask to speak to a manager for further assistance. Thank you

Original review: Feb. 11, 2022

I've had the LegalShield membership since 1998. It helps me make better wiser decisions when it comes to my family and Home-based business. I've saved thousands in consulting, document reviews, and letters made on my behalf. When the ID THEFT Service came on board, we've had several breaches and peace of mind that they would handle it for us. What we love most is that sometimes the law is not on our side, and that's okay; we didn't have to pay $250 an hour to get the same answer.

LegalShield response

Paul, we are extremely thankful for your membership! The peace of mind you get from being a LegalShield member is unmatched and we are thrilled to have serviced you for such a period of time! We appreciate you taking the time to leave such a wonderful review, it is greatly appreciated.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2022

I have a problem with my landlord who apparently has a membership with LegalShield as well. Because of this, when I called LegalShield to ask them for assistance, I was told that they cannot help me because there is a conflict of interest. They referred me to 3 attorneys who did not help me at all. The last one told me that he's running a business, so he can't give me advice for free. In other words, LegalShield is charging me every month, but is not helping me.

LegalShield response

Iseno, thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. You are correct, when a member is wanting to use their benefits against another member is it a Conflict of Interest and the Provider Law Firms are unable to assist either party. In cases such as this, a referral is sent within the LegalShield network of law firms and assistance can be provided at a discounted rate. We apologize if this was not your experience and we would appreciate the opportunity to investigate this matter further. Our Member Services team would be happy to assist you but, more information is needed. Please submit a service concern form at https://legalshield.typeform.com/to/pSnMnF and our team will contact you directly. We appreciate your time and look forward to assisting you, thank you.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2022

All I needed was a simple letter sent to a corporation asking why I didn't receive a perk that I requested. I was not filing a lawsuit or claim any loss. I just needed a simple letter requesting a service answer. A letter from a law firm would have probably gotten a good response from the corporation. That was a simple, basic request. The attorney was disinterested and in a hurry. By the way, I was able to get a letter created and sent from a non-prepaid attorney for $250. That's all I wanted, a simple letter.

LegalShield response

Thank you for bringing your concern to our attention. Our Provider Law Firms strive to provide excellent service to our members, we apologize this was not your experience. We would like the opportunity to review this matter further and get you the assistance you need. To do so, please submit your feedback via our Attorney Service Concern Form: https://legalshield.typeform.com/to/pSnMnF and a dedicated member of our team will reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2022

I canceled my services with Legal Shield in 11/2020. They told me everything was done & finished only to find out the only canceled my business portion but not my membership (kept charging my account). I noticed this a few month later & contacted them again in early 2021. After speaking with a supervisor they assured me everything was canceled. Now in January 2022 I notice a charge to my account from legal shield & I called & not only did they not cancel me, they did not document my account well & they misinformed me. This new supervisor, Tracey (with no last name or supervisor # because as he said, "I am the only supervisor named Tracey in the company." (I wonder how does he know that in a worldwide Co.) Told me my cancelation had to be received in writing. I was never told that.

Legal Shield STOLE $25 from me for a year and still have not responded to my cancellation email I sent this morning. This makes NO sense especially from a legal company. Make sure when you cancel that you send an email. I would not trust the mailing system because I believe they would keep charging you & say they never received it. Totally unethical company in my view right now & I would not refer them to anyone!

LegalShield response

George, thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. We can understand how this can be frustrating and we would love to assist you in any way we can. Our cancellation procedures are stated on www.legalshield.com as well as the membership contracts that are provided to each member, which can also be located on our website. Cancellations are required to be submitted in written format, such as mail, email, or fax and must include all membership numbers that are to be canceled. Please submit any cancellation or refund request to our team at Support@legalshieldcorp.com and we would be happy to assist. Please note, refunds are subject to approval by review from management. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2022

Such a bad a experience. I was told 3 different versions of benefits. I paid for more than 12 months. I called back to back to get this going. Then lost my job and called back to reactivate and they at first said, "Yes you just need $24.99," then another person said, "Sorry for the confusion, the new monthly payment is $29 plus" and I’ll have to start from scratch. This sucks especially when you have a case going on. PLEASE DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY. GO To a lawyer's office directly and make payment arrangements. This is not real. From personal and family experience.

LegalShield response

We hate to hear of any negative experiences such as this and would love to assist you in any way we can. Please note, you were told correctly that plans now start at $29.95 per month, which can be found by visiting www.legalshield.com. Additionally, We apologize for any misinformation you may have been previously given and we will work with our teams on this matter. Thank you for bringing this to our attention, we appreciate your time.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2022

Not a satisfying experience and unfortunately not unexpected, either. It's impossible in short review list all the issues I have encountered trying to use this service. And generally it could work on occasion, which is a main problem - randomly, if certain conditions are met, you may get your issue helped with at low cost. But it's unpredictable and unreliable. For me it was experience with some incompetent or uninterested or arrogant and unfriendly (or all of this together) attorneys, customer services reps who would make clearly incorrect statements or hung up on you, messed up internal Legalshield communications, cumbersome internal regulations of the Legalshield, etc.

Just an example - needed help with legal issues in Florida. Ok, since I live in CA I can not be just referred to Legalshield attorney in Fl - need first to call CA firm I have to be 'bonded' with, then they provide referral to some other firm contracted with Legalshield in Fl. That costed me a week of waiting. Then turned out the Fl firm can't provide a service for unknown reason and the other one who generally could will not because Legalshield does not allow it since it should serve West Fl and my business is in East Fl where their first firm is located. So another week and I get referral to another lawyer in East Fl but turned out (nobody mentioned it till I started to talk to that lawyer) that he is not contracted with Legalshield, so please would I pay $300 for the consultation? Which is generously 25% off his 'standard fee' due to been referred by Legalshield. What's the 'standard fee'? Oh, it's...just a moment... 25% more than $300 :-). Nice.

Customer service rep assured me it's not a reason to get upset - I already got my free consultation, did not I? When?? Oh, when I talked to 'my CA firm - they consulted me to be referred to Fl attorney. That helped. Things like that may sound absurd but that's my experience. Together with things like listening to attorney who is trying to convince me that service I'm paying for is not a 'product' so I should not complain if I'm not happy with it (is basic Economy a part of legal education?), or that I need to agree to financial settlement even though I did not do anything wrong (naïve me seemingly not understanding that he is not there to 'fight' for me but to make sure things are getting resolved with the maximum convenience to him), etc.

So in the end I'm cancelling my membership finding it not useless but actually detrimental, considering all the time and energy lost trying to get meaningful advice. Which is itself more complicated process than buying it. I did not try and did not need things like putting together a will or fighting a traffic ticket - maybe it's much easier to accomplish - but considering how often I would need things like that, and all additional headache seemingly associated with it... Thanks, better spend efforts on keeping away from all things 'legal' and particularly from specimens of this wonderful profession. When need arises in the next 15 years I think I better just pay cash and get service directly.

LegalShield response

Vadim, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. At LegalShield, we strive to provide our members with exceptional care and service and appreciate the opportunity to improve our processes based on our member’s feedback. We understand your concerns and would like to provide some clarification.

Understanding the full benefits of your LegalShield Membership is important. Your LegalShield Provider Law Firm will provide consultation on an unlimited number of personal legal matters. If your legal issue extends beyond the services covered in your LegalShield Membership, a referral to another provider law firm may be required.

Your legal plan provides you with a preferred member discount of 25% off your lawyer’s & referral lawyer’s standard hourly rate for services that exceed or are not explicitly covered under the benefit of your membership. A retainer fee may be needed to receive legal assistance under this benefit.

When a referral is needed for a legal representation in another state, we require the member’s Provider Law Firm to initiate that process on the member's behalf. Depending on the legal matter at hand, the referral process typically takes 3-5 business days but can occasionally take longer than expected. We understand that timing is important when it comes to legal matters; that is why we require our provider law firms to abide by our membership contract regulations regarding our referral system. This ensures that our members’ concerns are addressed within the expected time. If a member feels that a proper referral was not received, our team is more than happy to provide another referral.

We are disappointed to hear that this information was not communicated well and that you found it challenging to obtain the clear support you needed. We would like the opportunity to investigate this further to help bring a resolution. To do so, we will need a bit more info; please submit a Service Concern at https://legalshield.typeform.com/to/pSnMnF, or if you prefer to speak to someone directly, please get in touch with our Member Service Team at (800)-654-7757 between 7-7 CST Monday-Friday and a member of our team would be to help. We look forward to assisting you.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2022

I have been with Legal Shield since 2011 (now it's 2022) when I signed up under an insurance program. The best I've ever gotten was a cease and desist letter from one of their attorney to my neighbor with a bad attitude and Will. Everything else is a complete joke. They can't even beat a traffic ticket. The attorneys take a week to respond, and when they do, they already completely forgot about your case. Customer service doesn't help much either as they contribute to the runaround and when you demand to get in contact with your attorney, their solution is to just give you a new clueless lawyer to restart the madness. I think the idea of pre-paid or discounted membership legal representation is a great idea, however, you get what you pay for.

The attorneys here are useless (especially the ones in Atlanta). Do yourself a favor and create an account, contribute the same money that you would have paid Legal shield, and by the time you need help from an attorney, you can afford quality and seasoned one. Legal Shield attorneys are like shrubs posing as a tree, they are both plants, but they are built differently from other attorneys. I'm a very Unhappy Customer- I got fed up and canceled my membership today as I have given up all hopes and confidence in Legal Shield and their attorneys.

LegalShield response

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback, it is greatly appreciated. We are saddened to hear about your cancellation and can understand how frustrating it can be to not get the legal help you are expecting. Unfortunately not every case has a positive outcome and that can be disappointing. We would love to provide you with assistance in the future, should you need it. If you ever have any additional concerns or questions please don't hesitate to contact our dedicated team by email at MemberServices@pplsi.com or phone at 800-654-7757 between 7-7 CST Monday-Friday. Thank you!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2022

After almost 20 years of paying into this service then needing to use the service... In my opinion I was referred to the worst attorneys. Not b/c any cases were lost or b/c I didn't hear what I wanted to hear, but... One never showed up. One didn't do the work asked, and I did ALL the work myself and I got the expected results. There's sooo much more so look out for a full and detailed video on your favorite social media network.

LegalShield response

Troy, we hate to hear of your negative experience and would appreciate the opportunity to investigate this matter deeper to find out what happened. LegalShield aims to provide our members with the best care and we appreciate you taking the time to leave feedback. In order to look into this further, we need some more information. Please submit a concern to our dedicated team at https://legalshield.typeform.com/to/pSnMnF or by phone at 800-654-7757 between 7-7 CST Monday-Friday. We can certainly understand how upsetting this would be and we want to help in any way we can. Thank you for your time.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2021

I obtained LegalShield through a former employer. I thought it was a great idea to have a legal plan, just like health insurance. When that job ended, I was contacted and asked if I wanted to keep my coverage. I said yes. Now I am in a situation where I need a document reviewed. Very simple. Attorney's office was rude. Any time I asked a question, they would interrupt. Apparently, they do all the talking and you just shut up and listen. They claimed that had not received my documents.

Today I got an e-mail stating they still had not received my documents and were closing my case. I have contacted the attorney's office and Legal Shield. I called and spoke with a rep. It all seemed sketchy, so I looked at BBB and ConsumerAffairs reviews. Both the law firm, and Legal Shield have an overall 2 star rating. I'm not sure I have faith in any legal advice that will be provided at this point. I would like to cancel this plan, but it looks like that is going to be a nightmare.

LegalShield response

Johnny, thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback and share your experience. LegalShield aims to provide only the best service to our members and we appreciate when we are made aware of a concern within our services. We highly recommend submitting a Service concern so that our dedicated team can look deeper into this matter and help provide any understanding needed. Please visit https://legalshield.typeform.com/to/pSnMnF to submit a service concern. Our team will then be in contact with you, as well as the law firm, to get more detailed information and come to an understanding while providing you with the help you need. We look forward to hearing from you and providing you with assistance. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2021

If any of your legal matters are time sensitive or important to you I would recommend finding a provider other than LegalShield. Monday December 13th I submitted a contract review request to Fiffik Law Group, the Pittsburgh based LegalShield provider, and was contacted the following day on the 14th to discuss what was to be done with the contract. I was told by Fiffik, and Legal Shield claims, that the turnaround time on my only 4 page, very simply worded contact would be within 3 business days. Come Monday December 20th and no one has gotten back to me from the law firm so I called to leave messages and emailed until 12/21 Tuesday afternoon when I finally speak with Megan at Fiffik Law Group.

I was informed that the person who would be handling my contract did not even have it on her desk until Monday 12/21/21. Almost a week after submitting it and they had now determined that because the contract was governed by laws other than PA that they could not even review it and it would have to be sent out to another provider firm in said state! The irony is that this information in regards to the location of the parties was provided and available to them from day one! At this point I called Legalshield, explained what's going on, and they filed a Customer Resolution Complaint (or similar verbiage), with the law firm to determine what happened and why my contract was not sent to the appropriate provider firm from the start as it should have been.

LegalSheild tells me that they will act as the mediator by contacting the law firm and then getting back to me typically within 8 hours to work on a resolution. That was Tuesday December 20th at noon. It is now Thursday December 24th so I make one last call to LegalShield to inquire about the status of the complaint and no one at LegalShield can give me any information at all? Not who did the intake, who is working on it, what the provider firm said in response, nothing. Their suggestion was to file another resolution dispute? My suggestion is that if you have LegalShield find a better alternative before this happens to you and if you don't have them steer clear unless you have time to deal with something like this!

LegalShield response

Gary, thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. We appreciate it when our members let us know of their concerns. We can understand how this would be frustrating and we apologize for your experience, as this is unusual. The provider lawyers in our network are dedicated to assisting our members with their legal issues. They strictly adhere to our contract of benefits. A Provider law firm must send a referral to another law firm within the LegalShield network when the legal matter takes place in another state. We are glad to hear that a Service concern was filed and would like to provide more information on this matter, once more verifying membership information is given. Please send your contact information, so we can locate your account, as well as your concerns to MemberServices@pplsi.com and we will have someone on our team look into this deeper. We appreciate your time, thank you.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2021

First of all you should know Legal Shield does not cover felony defense. They only offer a 25% discount. They do not handle disability claims or renewals. They will not fill out documents or do pretty much anything. They give a consultation, 1 call and 1 letter for each time you have a legal problem. Pretty much anything you need done except basic things like changing your name or filing the paperwork for a uncontested divorce. But if your debating ownership of property or children they won't cover a divorce.

And most of the benefits you might use once in your life that are covered are things you would know way before it's a issue and Legal Shield requires you to be a member for a period of time before those benefits are available to use. Best advice is put your money into a bank so if you need a lawyer you can cover it with cash. Because all this service can do is offer a false sense of protection. When it counts they will not be there to fix you problems. They will say here is a 25% coupon and we will refer you to another lawyer. Most things in life you need emergency legal services for are felonies that will not be covered. Unless it's worth paying the premium for 5 minutes of legal advice when you have a issue then you will be disappointed. Don't expect a professional legal services that fix your problems if you get Legal Shield. Because that was definitely not my experience with being a member for almost 1 year.

LegalShield response

LegalShield aims to provide the best customer service possible, and for the provider law firms to provide members with the most successful outcome for their legal matters while adhering to the benefits provided with the membership. Members have access to the contract to review before purchasing.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2021

I just want to quickly let everyone know that this company is terrible from signing up to dealing with them and canceling! Nothing was ever done to a court ordeal I needed help with. Absolutely a joke and waste of time and money. Lastly cancelling their service, you have to submit an email and hope that they get your email to process your cancellation! What type of method is that?? Are we still in the 90s!? Talk about being professional. Terrible customer service whom know nothing. Stay far away!!

LegalShield response

The LegalShield membership provides very specific benefits per the membership contract. Depending upon the phase of your legal situation, the benefits may have been limited to the pre-existing benefit which allows for a discounted rate. There are also notice requirement timelines for court appearances noted in the contract. And, unlike other subscription services like Spotify and Netflix, LegalShield requires cancellation requests to be submitted in writing. We must ensure that the person requesting cancellation is authorized to do so. We do this to protect members as upcoming legal situations can cause individuals in the same household (and on the same membership) to take actions that may not be in the best interest of everyone involved.

LegalShield Company Information

1972
Formerly Named:
Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.
1 Prepaid Way