LegalShield

formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.

1.5/5 (42 ratings)

Author picture
Written by Lorraine Roberte
Edited by Shawn Richardson

About LegalShield

LegalShield works with a network of lawyers that can offer legal advice and help with a variety of legal issues. It operates everywhere in the U.S. and across all of Canada, and assistance is available 24/7 for certain emergency situations. LegalShield generally works on a monthly membership basis, and plans are available for individuals, families and businesses.

Pros

• Serves individuals and businesses
  • Unlimited legal advice
  • No retainer fee needed
  • 24/7 emergency legal assistance

Cons

• Limited services in Massachusetts

Bottom Line

LegalShield partners with law firms to offer assistance with everything from speeding tickets to court representation. However, not every situation is covered by your monthly membership fee, so be prepared for other costs.

Get access to verified lawyers today

Ask for help 24/7 on JustAnswer

Get Started

LegalShield Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LegalShield?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about LegalShield?

Original review: April 28, 2022

I subscribed for their service ($29.95 per month) and at first it seem great. But as time passed and I needed them again (now I prepaid 6 months in advance) they assigned me to Davis Miles McGuire (DMG) in Tempe, AZ. I needed help with a major tax question. I called DMG and after speaking to an attorney (no cost for this call) from their office I was referred me to another attorney, Elliott **. I made an appt with Elliott ($195.00). After consulting with Elliott, he was going to charge me another $2500 to research my tax needs and to provide CPA. Well, that went nowhere. I never heard from Elliott again. I attempted on three different dates to contact him and left messages to call me. He never did.

I called LegalShield and they said is not their problem. They have no control over the attorneys. They just collect their fee ($29.95 per month) and clients are on their own! I called the State of AZ Bar Association (Mr. **) and they said they could not force Elliott to respond. However, Mr. ** did contact Elliott and Elliott said, "Oh, I can not help him". After months of waiting this is all he has to say? I called DMG and they refused to refund my $195. I called LegalShield and they refused to offer full refund. DMG claims that they are "The Only Law Firm You Will Ever Need". This is a bunch of **. I found out the Elliott IS NOT WITH THEIR LAW FIRM. You should stay away from, LegalShield, DMG, and Elliott **. They take your money at every level and then refuse to help you.

LegalShield response

John, thank you for your review and for making us aware of your experience. Our mission is to protect and empower people with the tools and services needed to affordably live a just and secure life. We believe that no one should be left without affordable, accessible legal services and advice.

We apologize for your experience and we want to help you get the support you need. To do so, we need a bit more info. Please submit our Attorney Service Concern Form at https://legalshield.typeform.com/to/pSnMnF, and a member of our team will reach out to you directly. If you prefer to speak to someone please contact Member Services at 800-654-7757 between 7-7 CST Monday-Friday and our team will be happy to assist you with this matter as well as provide information on a refund request. We look forward to assisting you.

Original review: April 27, 2022

On 09/23/2021 I hired legal for a small one time case. I made all necessary arrangements on the phone with their rep Cordero who was also was my single point of contact. He assured me this was a one time. On 09/23/2021 I hired legal for a small one time case. I made all necessary arrangements on the phone with their rep Cordero who was also was my single point of contact. He assured me this was a one time payment.. On 07/04/2022 I discovered that LegalShield had been taking $53.85 from my bank account unauthorized every month since 10/23/2021 thru 03/23/2022.. As soon as I realized what was going on I called Cordero to see what happened, he expressed that was not supposed to have happened and he would take of it by getting my money back into my bank account.

After Calling Cordero the second time he blocked my number, I called him from a different number and he picked right up, I asked him to please unblock my number, he told me NO and gave me his supervisor's number. I called his supervisor Mr. **. Mr. ** expressed that he had spoken to Cordero on this matter and assured me he (**) would take of it.. So far I have not been contacted and now ** will not answer my phone calls or respond to my text. I've hit a brick wall with this organization. They took my money unauthorized and will not give it back. Arthur **.

LegalShield response
Arthur, thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. That is never an experience we want our members to have; we sincerely apologize.
The PPLSI Independent Associates instructed you incorrectly. Our members should always feel comfortable and are encouraged to contact our home office with questions about their membership benefits or service complaints.
I have confirmed that both of your memberships have been canceled. If you have further questions or would like to speak to someone about this directly, please contact our Member Services Team at (800)-654-7757 or via chat at www.legalshield.com, between 7-7 CST Monday-Friday, and a team member would be happy to provide support.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us; this has been addressed with the appropriate team members so that we may improve in the future.

Original review: March 29, 2022

You get nothing for the plan price. You want real legal action? Pay a lawyer thousands of dollars. This is just lunch money to them. All they did was write my landlord a letter, and dropped me like a sack of garbage. Save your money. Still having issues with my landlord. I'll just have to move because my "Lawyer" couldn't do anything to a certified slumlord.

LegalShield response

Alexander, thank you for your feedback. We're disappointed to hear that you feel our services did not meet your needs. We want every member to have a positive experience, even in those times when there may not be a legal solution available for the situation. We understand this type of situation can be frustrating. If you have further questions or would like to speak to someone directly on this matter, please contact our Member Service Team at (800)-654-7757 between 7-7 CST Monday-Friday, and a member of our team will be happy to assist you.

Original review: March 27, 2022

Legal Shield referred me to a law firm. What they don't tell you is that two of these lawyers were both disbarred in California & Florida. They take your money without representation. Being investigated by two states with the Bar Associations, State and Federal Government. We won't stop until they are investigated, fined and thrown out of Legal Shield!

LegalShield response

Robert, thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. For the last 49 years, we’ve worked to build long-standing partnerships with high-quality law firms across the U.S. and Canada. We have systems to uphold our required legal and ethical qualifications for each provider firm in our network.

We also have systems and resources in place for members to notify us if they are not satisfied with the services provided. We encourage all members with questions about their specific membership benefits or service complaints to contact our Member Services Team at (800)-654-7757 between 7-7 CST Monday-Friday, where a team member would be happy to provide support.

Original review: March 14, 2022

Customer service department needs A LOT of work. I called to cancel my membership, they said I needed to email them, so I did and didn't receive a reply til 5 day later. My law firm that I called multiple times was not helpful AT ALL. All they ever said was we need more information, every time I called about the same situation it was always something different needing more information. I felt as if they did not really care or make a effort to help. Thought it would be worth it but really a huge waste of my time. Disappointed.

LegalShield response

Katarina, we are disappointed to hear that your experience with LegalShield was anything less than exceptional. We greatly appreciate your feedback and are constantly looking for ways to improve our service to our members. We regret that you were unable to receive the assistance you needed while you were a member. Our dedicated teams have procedures in place for matters just like this and we would have been more than happy to help you and investigate this matter further. We appreciate your time, thank you.

Original review: March 5, 2022

I've been with LegalShield from 2006 until 2022. This is the worst legal ever in history. I've been with them for over 15yrs and plus they never told me what's included in my membership until I call in and ask about it. I only used this service 5 times. Three-time to send out letters and two-time for the court which the other person didn't show up which made the case easier. Meaning my lawyer's got paid $500+ for just saying hello and goodbye, twice. Now, here's my big problem. eBay has been abusing every single seller and buyer and getting away with it. eBay stole money from me and gave it to another buyer for a refund which I never sold anything to this person. The money that eBay stole from me was my process money from another sale which they gave to that person on a refund, which I didn't sell anything to. Plus, they have so many illegal hidden fees from, shipping, final fees, buying taxes, selling taxes, etc...

Anyways, I sent in a lot of evidence to LegalShield on my behalf about eBay on what they have been doing to me and thousands of other sellers and buyers. I even told him to google on Trustpilot eBay reviews. He told me, "I believe we got something here." (Duh, of course!) Anyways, after going through mental abuse from eBay for about a whole month and I was still sending in more evidence to my lawyer between that time. He sent in a letter, no response back from eBay. The lawyer calls me and tells me the dumbest news ever. His words, "I've had to bring this attention to my team and they kinda LAUGH at me... so the only thing I can do is refer you to another branch because WE can't take this case!" What? First of all, you don't call your client back (two weeks later) and tell them that your team laughs about a serious situation that's causing mental and physical abuse. When I agree to his referring to another branch...

I ask him would he tell the new lawyer what's was going on and send him all the information that I was sent to him. His words again; "I don't have time to do that, so you're on your own. I have other cases to worry about!!!!" That really pissed me off when he told me that after what I have been going through lately for a whole month. I reported the lawyer and customer service said they were going to get another one to call me back. Guess what? NOBODY HAVEN'T CALL ME BACK YET AND IT HAS BEEN TWO WEEKS SINCE I'VE HAD SPOKEN TO ANY LAWYER! Then I had another problem with WATA GAME's false advertisement. I was supposed to get my games back in 35 speed days. Well, I didn't receive them back so I gave LegalShield and call once again. I've sent evidence to LegalShield and show them other reviews online those other customers were experiencing the same problem.

Wata Games went online and had google shut down their reviews so they can cover up their own tracks from customers that were having a bad experience with them. LegalShield agreed that what Wata games were doing was false advertisements, etc... Legalshield calls some lawyer in Denver to take the case. Here goes the email from the lawyer that Legalshield referred me too. (Your LegalShield Membership entitles you to a 25% discount off my $450 hourly rate for legal services. Would you like to schedule a telephone call to discuss the "$1,500 retainer" required to engage Cantafio Nagel & Song PLLC? Thank you for your consideration.) When I google the law firm that Legalshield referred me to, they had very bad reviews. I took my chance and ignore the bad reviews and called the number that I was given by LegalShield. Well, the bad reviews are right! He wouldn't let me ask one question... All I keep on hearing is, I need money.

I told him I'll call him back and I called LegalShield back instead of him. Legalshield agreed with me and said that they are sorry for referring me to a high-price rude lawyer like that and there isn't anything else that they can do. I said, what???? Now, this was coming from a supervisor that works at LegalShield named Debbie. Meaning, LegalShield can't give me any more recourses and I'm on my own. Wow, really LegalShield?!?! Then a few days later this lawyer from LegalShield had called me back and said she would try to help. Laura D, sent out letters and emails to WATA games warning them of a lawsuit. She stated, return my game's back graded and the money that I paid for the games and $2500 dollar compensation fee.

Well, two weeks later I received one game back and no money and an email from WATA game's making up more excuses why they can't send out the other game. I sent the copy of the email to Laura and she even wasn't happy either with the WATA game's email response back to me. She told me, "Just wait until you receive the other game back and we'll take more action against them." She told me to call her back when I receive the other game and I said ok.

In the letter, Laura even stated to WATA games, "this matter will not simply go away." Now, two weeks later I got a PPLSI letter in the mail from LegalShield saying this, (dear, my name, based on circumstance and information we have, LegalShield will not be able to continue to provide contractual benefits and services under your membership. By means of this letter, we are informing you that we are canceling your membership contract with LegalShield and refunding the unused portion, which was only $11.35 cents.

When I have seen this letter I was confused and hurt because I didn't do anything wrong and plus, Laura D, was helping me. I called the number that was provided in the letter and they said, they don't know why my membership was canceled and to email member services. I did and guess what, no response back. I called three times back to LegalShield just to hear them say "we don't know why your membership was canceled and we can't tell you on our end." I said can you have a supervisor call me back. When the supervisor had called me back from LegalShield she said the reps had lied and could have told me the truth why the possibilities why your membership was canceled and the email that the reps provided to me was pointless. The reason was stated, fraud, no payment or we can't help you with your problem so instead of taking your money every month we'll just cancel your member's membership.

She said the only reason that she can see "why LegalShield" had canceled my membership is because LegalShield itself "can't" help me with my problems and Legalshield isn't for "YOU." I ask why? She said she doesn't have the information. I told her me and Laura D, was getting some progress done about WATA game's so what are you talking about. She said, "I'm sorry but there's nothing else I can tell you." I told her to even ask Laura that works at LegalShield and she wouldn't. I hung up the phone. Now you're telling me after paying LegalShield $17.00 a month from 2006-until 2022 that their service wasn't for me.

Really after all of the years of paying for a membership that I really didn't use at all and when I did I still didn't get the help that I needed?! Legalshield just scammed me for all of those years just to tell me that their services weren't for me! Legalshield needs to be reported in for scamming customers to the BBB FTC, ETC... STAY AWAY FROM LEGALSHIELD, PLEASE DO!

LegalShield response

Rome, we appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback and voice your concerns about this matter. We understand your concerns and we would like to provide some clarification. Though it is rare, there are some reasons a membership may be canceled per company option, whether by PPLSI or a PPLSI Provider Law Firm. This information is can be located in any membership contract as well as online at: http://contracts.legalshield.com/contracts/LSESSOK.821.pdf.

When a membership is canceled per company option, PPLSI notifies the member by a dated and signed letter, explaining the matter and advising if any refund will be processed. If the Company cancels the Contract, Services will only be provided for those events reported in writing to the Provider Law Firm during the Eligibility Period. As a mission-based company, dedicated to protecting and empowering people with the tools and services needed to affordably live a just and secure life, this is option is not taken lightly and only implemented when necessary.

We can understand how this may be upsetting and we apologize for your experience. For further questions or concerns, please contact our Member Services team by email at MemberServices@legalshieldcorp.com, or by phone at 800-654-7757 between 7-7 CST Monday-Friday, and a member of our team will be happy to assist you. Thank you for your time.

Original review: March 2, 2022

Would never give them a bank account number. Never never. I canceled my membership and was assured by the rep that it was cancel now they are charging me again how to stop them from charging me. One star for a little help because they don't let me put no stars.

LegalShield response

Abdel, thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are sorry to hear that you are choosing to lose your affordable legal services. All cancellation requests must be provided in writing. The easiest way to do so is by emailing us at support@legalshieldcorp.com with your name, membership number, phone number, and your request to cancel the membership. We suggest contacting our Member Services team at 800-654-7757 between 7-7 CST Monday-Friday to confirm your request has been received, and a member of our team would be happy to help.

Original review: March 1, 2022

Very poor quality service and IRRESPONSIBLE law firm for us. We were happy to find a reasonable fees and legal service we needed but at last we felt we just wasted our time and money. This is just our feedback for our experience. We had two cases personal case and business case so we monthly subscribed two programs. None of them did work for our simple cases and the law firm we were assigned was joke. Literarily saying that they do not take care of their clients responsibly.

We were basically obligated to communicate with them via emails but every time auto response says it takes three business days no matter how simple inquires you email, they don't respond you thru the phone calls. However they don't even respond you unless you email multiple times. It took us more than two weeks to get ONE demand letter draft and emailed them to notify them of approval of the letter but the attorney left it for couple of days and kept asking us the approval of the letter again. We don't think they check out their clients' emails carefully and responsibly. Probably they don't care of the client uses this program for cheap price to use a legal service, we felt.

We felt we were assigned unluckily with a poor quality service so we called the LegalShield support to find another law firm but amazingly ONLY one law firm each state and roughly explained us to ask the same law firm for a referral to introduce another firm?! It's amazing service ask the subscriber to negotiate with law firm to find another firm by ourselves. The LegalShield support is NOT a support dept but they just a department to handle a complain and push back. As a typical idea about a sales talk, they all explain you only good part of their program but the service and program are not as good as they explain. Find a local attorney's office by the bar association without this program was hundred times better for us.

LegalShield response

Koichiro, thank you for your feedback and for bringing your concerns to our attention. We appreciate hearing from our members, although we’re sorry that your experience appears to have been unsatisfactory. We aim to provide the best customer service possible, and for our lawyers to provide members with the most successful outcome for their legal matters while adhering to the benefits provided with the membership.

We would like the opportunity to research this further and help get you the support and clarification that you need. To do so, we need a bit more information. Please submit our Attorney Service Concern Form at https://legalshield.typeform.com/to/pSnMnF and a member of our team will reach out to you directly. We look forward to assisting you, thank you.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2022

I called a many times asking them that is urgent and that they should call me back. They said "yes, of course". And of course nobody called me back... It so embarrassing. I paid service and didn't receive service, plus I wasted and time and energy relying on them. Second thing is that they employed person or accepted as a customer that they were advising me about, and then they kicked me out as client because of conflict of interest, instead they not to accept that person as a client from the same reason.

LegalShield response

Maja, Thank you for bringing your concern to our attention. Our Provider Law Firms strive to provide excellent service to our members, we apologize this was not your experience. We would like the opportunity to review this matter further and get you the assistance you need. To do so, please submit your feedback via our Attorney Service Concern Form: https://legalshield.typeform.com/to/pSnMnF and a dedicated member of our team will reach out to you directly. Thank you for your time.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2022

Their Write your Will Services is very questionable. Paralegal didn't even ask to see our past will or trust. Just put a simple will together and then didn't get it to use before the deadline. They don't have email or voicemail. Takes 30 minutes just to book an appointment with a paralegal. Never once talked to an attorney. When you try and contact Legal Shield through Facebook messenger, they send you to a instant chat that doesn't work and then a 800 # that has no humans and send you right back to the law firm. I am dropping our membership. Super cheap rates get you super poor service.

LegalShield response

Cindy, we appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback. To provide clarification on our communication processes, our phone lines, as well as our live chat feature, are serviced by live LegalShield representatives and we certainly apologize that you had trouble reaching assistance. For legal assistance, another option LegalShield offers members is the utilization of our mobile app to schedule appointments with your law firm directly.

We are sorry to hear that you are choosing to lose your affordable legal services, and we want to provide some clarification about our cancellation policy. All cancellation requests must be provided in writing. Please note, we can not accept verbal or written cancel requests via social media. To cancel please email your name, membership number, phone number, and request to cancel the membership to us at support@legalshieldcorp.com.

All cancelations are processed, and refunds are reviewed by management. This process can take up to 15-60 days. If after submitting your cancellation requests you still have not received your requested refund within 15-60 days, or if you have further questions and would like to discuss your options further, please contact our Member Service Team at (800)-654-7757 between 7-7 CST Monday-Friday. You may ask to speak to a manager for further assistance. Thank you

Original review: Feb. 11, 2022

I've had the LegalShield membership since 1998. It helps me make better wiser decisions when it comes to my family and Home-based business. I've saved thousands in consulting, document reviews, and letters made on my behalf. When the ID THEFT Service came on board, we've had several breaches and peace of mind that they would handle it for us. What we love most is that sometimes the law is not on our side, and that's okay; we didn't have to pay $250 an hour to get the same answer.

LegalShield response

Paul, we are extremely thankful for your membership! The peace of mind you get from being a LegalShield member is unmatched and we are thrilled to have serviced you for such a period of time! We appreciate you taking the time to leave such a wonderful review, it is greatly appreciated.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2022

I have a problem with my landlord who apparently has a membership with LegalShield as well. Because of this, when I called LegalShield to ask them for assistance, I was told that they cannot help me because there is a conflict of interest. They referred me to 3 attorneys who did not help me at all. The last one told me that he's running a business, so he can't give me advice for free. In other words, LegalShield is charging me every month, but is not helping me.

LegalShield response

Iseno, thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. You are correct, when a member is wanting to use their benefits against another member is it a Conflict of Interest and the Provider Law Firms are unable to assist either party. In cases such as this, a referral is sent within the LegalShield network of law firms and assistance can be provided at a discounted rate. We apologize if this was not your experience and we would appreciate the opportunity to investigate this matter further. Our Member Services team would be happy to assist you but, more information is needed. Please submit a service concern form at https://legalshield.typeform.com/to/pSnMnF and our team will contact you directly. We appreciate your time and look forward to assisting you, thank you.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2022

All I needed was a simple letter sent to a corporation asking why I didn't receive a perk that I requested. I was not filing a lawsuit or claim any loss. I just needed a simple letter requesting a service answer. A letter from a law firm would have probably gotten a good response from the corporation. That was a simple, basic request. The attorney was disinterested and in a hurry. By the way, I was able to get a letter created and sent from a non-prepaid attorney for $250. That's all I wanted, a simple letter.

LegalShield response

Thank you for bringing your concern to our attention. Our Provider Law Firms strive to provide excellent service to our members, we apologize this was not your experience. We would like the opportunity to review this matter further and get you the assistance you need. To do so, please submit your feedback via our Attorney Service Concern Form: https://legalshield.typeform.com/to/pSnMnF and a dedicated member of our team will reach out to you directly. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2022

I canceled my services with Legal Shield in 11/2020. They told me everything was done & finished only to find out the only canceled my business portion but not my membership (kept charging my account). I noticed this a few month later & contacted them again in early 2021. After speaking with a supervisor they assured me everything was canceled. Now in January 2022 I notice a charge to my account from legal shield & I called & not only did they not cancel me, they did not document my account well & they misinformed me. This new supervisor, Tracey (with no last name or supervisor # because as he said, "I am the only supervisor named Tracey in the company." (I wonder how does he know that in a worldwide Co.) Told me my cancelation had to be received in writing. I was never told that.

Legal Shield STOLE $25 from me for a year and still have not responded to my cancellation email I sent this morning. This makes NO sense especially from a legal company. Make sure when you cancel that you send an email. I would not trust the mailing system because I believe they would keep charging you & say they never received it. Totally unethical company in my view right now & I would not refer them to anyone!

LegalShield response

George, thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. We can understand how this can be frustrating and we would love to assist you in any way we can. Our cancellation procedures are stated on www.legalshield.com as well as the membership contracts that are provided to each member, which can also be located on our website. Cancellations are required to be submitted in written format, such as mail, email, or fax and must include all membership numbers that are to be canceled. Please submit any cancellation or refund request to our team at Support@legalshieldcorp.com and we would be happy to assist. Please note, refunds are subject to approval by review from management. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2022

Such a bad a experience. I was told 3 different versions of benefits. I paid for more than 12 months. I called back to back to get this going. Then lost my job and called back to reactivate and they at first said, "Yes you just need $24.99," then another person said, "Sorry for the confusion, the new monthly payment is $29 plus" and I’ll have to start from scratch. This sucks especially when you have a case going on. PLEASE DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY. GO To a lawyer's office directly and make payment arrangements. This is not real. From personal and family experience.

LegalShield response

We hate to hear of any negative experiences such as this and would love to assist you in any way we can. Please note, you were told correctly that plans now start at $29.95 per month, which can be found by visiting www.legalshield.com. Additionally, We apologize for any misinformation you may have been previously given and we will work with our teams on this matter. Thank you for bringing this to our attention, we appreciate your time.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2022

Not a satisfying experience and unfortunately not unexpected, either. It's impossible in short review list all the issues I have encountered trying to use this service. And generally it could work on occasion, which is a main problem - randomly, if certain conditions are met, you may get your issue helped with at low cost. But it's unpredictable and unreliable. For me it was experience with some incompetent or uninterested or arrogant and unfriendly (or all of this together) attorneys, customer services reps who would make clearly incorrect statements or hung up on you, messed up internal Legalshield communications, cumbersome internal regulations of the Legalshield, etc.

Just an example - needed help with legal issues in Florida. Ok, since I live in CA I can not be just referred to Legalshield attorney in Fl - need first to call CA firm I have to be 'bonded' with, then they provide referral to some other firm contracted with Legalshield in Fl. That costed me a week of waiting. Then turned out the Fl firm can't provide a service for unknown reason and the other one who generally could will not because Legalshield does not allow it since it should serve West Fl and my business is in East Fl where their first firm is located. So another week and I get referral to another lawyer in East Fl but turned out (nobody mentioned it till I started to talk to that lawyer) that he is not contracted with Legalshield, so please would I pay $300 for the consultation? Which is generously 25% off his 'standard fee' due to been referred by Legalshield. What's the 'standard fee'? Oh, it's...just a moment... 25% more than $300 :-). Nice.

Customer service rep assured me it's not a reason to get upset - I already got my free consultation, did not I? When?? Oh, when I talked to 'my CA firm - they consulted me to be referred to Fl attorney. That helped. Things like that may sound absurd but that's my experience. Together with things like listening to attorney who is trying to convince me that service I'm paying for is not a 'product' so I should not complain if I'm not happy with it (is basic Economy a part of legal education?), or that I need to agree to financial settlement even though I did not do anything wrong (naïve me seemingly not understanding that he is not there to 'fight' for me but to make sure things are getting resolved with the maximum convenience to him), etc.

So in the end I'm cancelling my membership finding it not useless but actually detrimental, considering all the time and energy lost trying to get meaningful advice. Which is itself more complicated process than buying it. I did not try and did not need things like putting together a will or fighting a traffic ticket - maybe it's much easier to accomplish - but considering how often I would need things like that, and all additional headache seemingly associated with it... Thanks, better spend efforts on keeping away from all things 'legal' and particularly from specimens of this wonderful profession. When need arises in the next 15 years I think I better just pay cash and get service directly.

LegalShield response

Vadim, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. At LegalShield, we strive to provide our members with exceptional care and service and appreciate the opportunity to improve our processes based on our member’s feedback. We understand your concerns and would like to provide some clarification.

Understanding the full benefits of your LegalShield Membership is important. Your LegalShield Provider Law Firm will provide consultation on an unlimited number of personal legal matters. If your legal issue extends beyond the services covered in your LegalShield Membership, a referral to another provider law firm may be required.

Your legal plan provides you with a preferred member discount of 25% off your lawyer’s & referral lawyer’s standard hourly rate for services that exceed or are not explicitly covered under the benefit of your membership. A retainer fee may be needed to receive legal assistance under this benefit.

When a referral is needed for a legal representation in another state, we require the member’s Provider Law Firm to initiate that process on the member's behalf. Depending on the legal matter at hand, the referral process typically takes 3-5 business days but can occasionally take longer than expected. We understand that timing is important when it comes to legal matters; that is why we require our provider law firms to abide by our membership contract regulations regarding our referral system. This ensures that our members’ concerns are addressed within the expected time. If a member feels that a proper referral was not received, our team is more than happy to provide another referral.

We are disappointed to hear that this information was not communicated well and that you found it challenging to obtain the clear support you needed. We would like the opportunity to investigate this further to help bring a resolution. To do so, we will need a bit more info; please submit a Service Concern at https://legalshield.typeform.com/to/pSnMnF, or if you prefer to speak to someone directly, please get in touch with our Member Service Team at (800)-654-7757 between 7-7 CST Monday-Friday and a member of our team would be to help. We look forward to assisting you.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2022

I have been with Legal Shield since 2011 (now it's 2022) when I signed up under an insurance program. The best I've ever gotten was a cease and desist letter from one of their attorney to my neighbor with a bad attitude and Will. Everything else is a complete joke. They can't even beat a traffic ticket. The attorneys take a week to respond, and when they do, they already completely forgot about your case. Customer service doesn't help much either as they contribute to the runaround and when you demand to get in contact with your attorney, their solution is to just give you a new clueless lawyer to restart the madness. I think the idea of pre-paid or discounted membership legal representation is a great idea, however, you get what you pay for.

The attorneys here are useless (especially the ones in Atlanta). Do yourself a favor and create an account, contribute the same money that you would have paid Legal shield, and by the time you need help from an attorney, you can afford quality and seasoned one. Legal Shield attorneys are like shrubs posing as a tree, they are both plants, but they are built differently from other attorneys. I'm a very Unhappy Customer- I got fed up and canceled my membership today as I have given up all hopes and confidence in Legal Shield and their attorneys.

LegalShield response

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback, it is greatly appreciated. We are saddened to hear about your cancellation and can understand how frustrating it can be to not get the legal help you are expecting. Unfortunately not every case has a positive outcome and that can be disappointing. We would love to provide you with assistance in the future, should you need it. If you ever have any additional concerns or questions please don't hesitate to contact our dedicated team by email at MemberServices@pplsi.com or phone at 800-654-7757 between 7-7 CST Monday-Friday. Thank you!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2022

After almost 20 years of paying into this service then needing to use the service... In my opinion I was referred to the worst attorneys. Not b/c any cases were lost or b/c I didn't hear what I wanted to hear, but... One never showed up. One didn't do the work asked, and I did ALL the work myself and I got the expected results. There's sooo much more so look out for a full and detailed video on your favorite social media network.

LegalShield response

Troy, we hate to hear of your negative experience and would appreciate the opportunity to investigate this matter deeper to find out what happened. LegalShield aims to provide our members with the best care and we appreciate you taking the time to leave feedback. In order to look into this further, we need some more information. Please submit a concern to our dedicated team at https://legalshield.typeform.com/to/pSnMnF or by phone at 800-654-7757 between 7-7 CST Monday-Friday. We can certainly understand how upsetting this would be and we want to help in any way we can. Thank you for your time.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2021

I obtained LegalShield through a former employer. I thought it was a great idea to have a legal plan, just like health insurance. When that job ended, I was contacted and asked if I wanted to keep my coverage. I said yes. Now I am in a situation where I need a document reviewed. Very simple. Attorney's office was rude. Any time I asked a question, they would interrupt. Apparently, they do all the talking and you just shut up and listen. They claimed that had not received my documents.

Today I got an e-mail stating they still had not received my documents and were closing my case. I have contacted the attorney's office and Legal Shield. I called and spoke with a rep. It all seemed sketchy, so I looked at BBB and ConsumerAffairs reviews. Both the law firm, and Legal Shield have an overall 2 star rating. I'm not sure I have faith in any legal advice that will be provided at this point. I would like to cancel this plan, but it looks like that is going to be a nightmare.

LegalShield response

Johnny, thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback and share your experience. LegalShield aims to provide only the best service to our members and we appreciate when we are made aware of a concern within our services. We highly recommend submitting a Service concern so that our dedicated team can look deeper into this matter and help provide any understanding needed. Please visit https://legalshield.typeform.com/to/pSnMnF to submit a service concern. Our team will then be in contact with you, as well as the law firm, to get more detailed information and come to an understanding while providing you with the help you need. We look forward to hearing from you and providing you with assistance. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2021

If any of your legal matters are time sensitive or important to you I would recommend finding a provider other than LegalShield. Monday December 13th I submitted a contract review request to Fiffik Law Group, the Pittsburgh based LegalShield provider, and was contacted the following day on the 14th to discuss what was to be done with the contract. I was told by Fiffik, and Legal Shield claims, that the turnaround time on my only 4 page, very simply worded contact would be within 3 business days. Come Monday December 20th and no one has gotten back to me from the law firm so I called to leave messages and emailed until 12/21 Tuesday afternoon when I finally speak with Megan at Fiffik Law Group.

I was informed that the person who would be handling my contract did not even have it on her desk until Monday 12/21/21. Almost a week after submitting it and they had now determined that because the contract was governed by laws other than PA that they could not even review it and it would have to be sent out to another provider firm in said state! The irony is that this information in regards to the location of the parties was provided and available to them from day one! At this point I called Legalshield, explained what's going on, and they filed a Customer Resolution Complaint (or similar verbiage), with the law firm to determine what happened and why my contract was not sent to the appropriate provider firm from the start as it should have been.

LegalSheild tells me that they will act as the mediator by contacting the law firm and then getting back to me typically within 8 hours to work on a resolution. That was Tuesday December 20th at noon. It is now Thursday December 24th so I make one last call to LegalShield to inquire about the status of the complaint and no one at LegalShield can give me any information at all? Not who did the intake, who is working on it, what the provider firm said in response, nothing. Their suggestion was to file another resolution dispute? My suggestion is that if you have LegalShield find a better alternative before this happens to you and if you don't have them steer clear unless you have time to deal with something like this!

LegalShield response

Gary, thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. We appreciate it when our members let us know of their concerns. We can understand how this would be frustrating and we apologize for your experience, as this is unusual. The provider lawyers in our network are dedicated to assisting our members with their legal issues. They strictly adhere to our contract of benefits. A Provider law firm must send a referral to another law firm within the LegalShield network when the legal matter takes place in another state. We are glad to hear that a Service concern was filed and would like to provide more information on this matter, once more verifying membership information is given. Please send your contact information, so we can locate your account, as well as your concerns to MemberServices@pplsi.com and we will have someone on our team look into this deeper. We appreciate your time, thank you.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2021

First of all you should know Legal Shield does not cover felony defense. They only offer a 25% discount. They do not handle disability claims or renewals. They will not fill out documents or do pretty much anything. They give a consultation, 1 call and 1 letter for each time you have a legal problem. Pretty much anything you need done except basic things like changing your name or filing the paperwork for a uncontested divorce. But if your debating ownership of property or children they won't cover a divorce.

And most of the benefits you might use once in your life that are covered are things you would know way before it's a issue and Legal Shield requires you to be a member for a period of time before those benefits are available to use. Best advice is put your money into a bank so if you need a lawyer you can cover it with cash. Because all this service can do is offer a false sense of protection. When it counts they will not be there to fix you problems. They will say here is a 25% coupon and we will refer you to another lawyer. Most things in life you need emergency legal services for are felonies that will not be covered. Unless it's worth paying the premium for 5 minutes of legal advice when you have a issue then you will be disappointed. Don't expect a professional legal services that fix your problems if you get Legal Shield. Because that was definitely not my experience with being a member for almost 1 year.

LegalShield response

LegalShield aims to provide the best customer service possible, and for the provider law firms to provide members with the most successful outcome for their legal matters while adhering to the benefits provided with the membership. Members have access to the contract to review before purchasing.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2021

I just want to quickly let everyone know that this company is terrible from signing up to dealing with them and canceling! Nothing was ever done to a court ordeal I needed help with. Absolutely a joke and waste of time and money. Lastly cancelling their service, you have to submit an email and hope that they get your email to process your cancellation! What type of method is that?? Are we still in the 90s!? Talk about being professional. Terrible customer service whom know nothing. Stay far away!!

LegalShield response

The LegalShield membership provides very specific benefits per the membership contract. Depending upon the phase of your legal situation, the benefits may have been limited to the pre-existing benefit which allows for a discounted rate. There are also notice requirement timelines for court appearances noted in the contract. And, unlike other subscription services like Spotify and Netflix, LegalShield requires cancellation requests to be submitted in writing. We must ensure that the person requesting cancellation is authorized to do so. We do this to protect members as upcoming legal situations can cause individuals in the same household (and on the same membership) to take actions that may not be in the best interest of everyone involved.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2021

We paid for this service for months. Times called for emergency use of needing an attorney to fight for us. We sent all documentation asked of us. Called immediately back the only two times we missed a call from attorneys just to have an email and letter sent to us stating they could never reach us and we did not get them documentation needed and this and that.

You must put in a call to the attorneys and then you wait and HOPE they call you back. It is not convenient by any means. We never got told anything to file or what we needed to file. No help answering our court documents and no lead as to what we could even possibly do. We 110% got the run around. We would not recommend LegalShield from our experience at this point and it’s very unfortunate because I could definitely see the potential of it all.

LegalShield response

To increase usability and convenience, the LegalShield app and web portal offer members the opportunity to see their request for service as it goes through each step of the process, schedule callbacks and much more.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2021

I joined Legal Shield with high hopes of finding an affordable way to contact an attorney for a small business. Right from the very beginning, the user experience issues I had with the website and the customer service of trying to get help with the website was frustrating. I spoke to 4 different service agents about trying to do the main function of the service which is to contact a lawyer. I needed an attorney to look over a contract that had a deadline, and it took a day and a half of talking to different service agents to get any help. I decided to cancel the service, because I couldn't use it.

When I went to cancel, the woman I spoke to on the phone was extremely helpful and I decided to give it another chance. She was able to look up the contact information of my assigned attorney. Once I contacted the attorney, they looked at my contract and interacting with the attorney was just fine. I ended up not needing attorney services for the coming year of the business, and asked to cancel the service.

They really make you jump through hoops to cancel a membership. You have to call, then write them a letter. It seems like they intentionally make it difficult to cancel, which is in my opinion, bad customer service. Good companies offer gracious and easy methods to cancel if a customer truly wants to cancel, so the excuse that they give which is "We must ensure that the person requesting cancellation is authorized to do so." is truly just an excuse, because I spoke to 2 people who verified my identity and I still needed to go through a third channel to cancel.

Overall, I would not recommend it to small business owners. The website is not as user friendly as it could be, there are too many touch points of customer service without a unified method of helping people, and an unnecessarily lengthy method of canceling a membership. I wasted more time during my day, trying to work with their methods, and they came up short. Also, they are an MLM, so if you have any ethical issues with supporting MLM's, then it's important to know that that is how the company is structured.

LegalShield response

Our members have the ability to contact their provider law firm via a toll-free phone number during typical business hours or can submit a request for service through the LegalShield app. This information should have been provided to you when you contacted our offices. We apologize for the inconvenience you experienced.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2021

The people at LegalShield were very nice and professional but the attorneys they send you to are very unprofessional. Every time I asked them to help me with a situation they gave me some excuse why they couldn't help or even lied about not handling certain situations when they did the whole time. Not what I expected to get paying for the highest package they had. Don't use them.

LegalShield response

This is a really important point about LegalShield. LegalShield manages our member's subscriptions to our legal and IDShield plans. Our network of provider law firms administers the legal plan benefits to legal plan members. While we do not play a role in the administering of legal services, we do hold our provider law firms accountable to service level agreements (SLA’s) that are mutually agreed upon by LegalShield and the provider law firms. We provide our members with resources to let us know if their provider law firm is not meeting those SLAs and will work to remediate any issues related to those SLA’s. Thank you for this important feedback.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

You never know which lawyer or customer service person will provide great service, mediocre service, or downright disrespectful service. Some of their lawyers are extremely condescending and patronizing and the same goes for their agents who answer the phone. If the customer had the answers they would not need to consult with subscription services like LegalShield but that being stated does not mean that the customer should be disrespected or treated as just another number. I had an issue with a vendor who was withholding a deposit for an event that could not be held due to COVID-19 restrictions on indoor events in Maryland. The lawyer sent a brief letter that had a glaring misspelled word. The fact that the lawyer didn't take the time to proofread their correspondence was silly.

Fast-forward I had an issue with a tenant and the lawyer assigned was so patronizing and rude, literally cut me off mid-sentence, and seemed pissed off that she had to call me after 5 pm on a Friday. She refused to hear anything I stated and seemed more intent on displaying her "superior intelligence" than trying to provide a viable solution to the issue. Months prior I was seeking advice on how to deal with a car manufacturer that had a defect in their vehicle and I was injured. Instead of calling me back as promised, they had an outside firm call me but failed to inform me of what was happening.

Some attorneys have been very kind, informative and not only listened but came up with solutions that made sense. If you need legal correspondence, some advice on legal matters, or minor contract issues, they are probably a decent resource but don't dare question the advice they provide, even if you are looking for clarity that might cause a ruckus.

LegalShield response

LegalShield manages our member's subscriptions to our legal and IDShield plans. Our network of provider law firms administers the legal plan benefits to legal plan members and is responsible for assigning lawyers to the various requests for services submitted by members. While we do not play a role in the administering of legal services, we do hold our provider law firms accountable to service level agreements (SLA’s) that are mutually agreed upon by LegalShield and the provider law firms. We provide our members with resources to let us know if their provider law firm is not meeting those SLAs and will work to remediate any issues related to those SLA’s. Thank you for this important feedback.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

I had purchased a LegalShield ID Shield plan a while back and just had it for insurance and peace of mind purposes. I would receive an update every now and then letting me know if there had been any identity theft triggers and it was nice to know I was protected. I decided to purchase a LegalShield business plan online based on the services they offer and the reasonable price of $99.00 per month.

Days had gone by as I attempted to log in to access my plan multiple times and could not. I am a website developer so I was pretty sure it was not a user error but I wanted to be sure to get this fixed. When I had some time about a week after purchasing the plan I called the customer service phone number. I was on the phone for 45 minutes and they could not provide me with access to this plan nor were they willing to open a ticket to correct the issue. They stated they would open a ticket but were unwilling to provide a reference number for the ticket and placed me on hold multiple times.

I had decided after 40 minutes on the phone call I wanted to cancel the business and IDShield membership plans out of frustration due to the lack of knowledge and/or willingness of the customer service representatives to help. They transferred me from one customer service representative to another in order to cancel the two plans.

When the second rep told me they would transfer me again, I sternly asked for the email to cancel the membership in writing which I was finally given. Overall I would be very skeptical with the ability of the LegalShield customer service team to assist if you have an issue with your account. This unfortunately is not a review of the actual LegalShield plan, but of the unscrupulous tactics of the two customer service representatives I spoke to. I had followed the instructions and emailed support@legalshieldcorp.com as advised and did not receive a confirmation that it was received. This was also sent to the CEO of LegalShield Jeff Bell. My email software shows it was opened 15 times but here we are nearly two days later and no response.

At this point in time after the runaround, poorly trained customer service staff, poor overall communication when attempting to cancel the membership I do not plan on doing business with this company. I hope this review helps change the culture to be more customer service-centric. I plan to dispute the charge with my bank if I do not receive any type of communication with this company. This of course is just my experience and hopefully, yours will be better.

LegalShield response

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

I'm an Etsy seller who received automated trademark infringements. I sell replacement products and products that work with other branded products. This is generally protected through nominative fair use. The first attorney I spoke to said it's not part of my plan to have him look at my online shop. He refused to even look at my advertisement/product. He hung up on me when I asked to clarify what he wanted me to do. The second lawyer I spoke to, looked at my shop and said 'absolutely infringement' and to stop selling because 'I make money off it'. This lawyer has no idea what normative fair use is. I ended up getting a local intellectual property attorney in my area. She ended up having the company remove all their infringement notices and white listing my online store.

The card I used for LegalShield payments was canceled due to fraud. Somehow LegalShield started charging the new card that was sent to me. I looked up how to cancel membership and called the number provided. After waiting on hold, lady said 'no problem.' To cancel, 'let me put you on hold so I get all the information for you.' Pretty much you call a number, wait on hold, then have a robot tell you to email them with your member id and write 'cancel'. The people I spoke to who were NOT attorneys were nice and reasonable. Their attorneys treat you as if you're not worth their time.

LegalShield response

LegalShield aims to provide the best customer service possible, and for our attorneys to provide members with the most successful outcome for their legal matters while adhering to the benefits provided with the membership. While we do not play a role in the administering of legal services, we do hold our provider law firms accountable to service level agreements (SLA’s) that are mutually agreed upon by LegalShield and the provider law firms. We provide our members with resources to let us know if their provider law firm is not meeting those SLAs and will work to remediate any issues related to those SLA’s. Thank you for this important feedback.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

I was in a situation where my family attorney couldn’t help me fast enough. A friend referred me to LS, and they saved me from being taken advantage of by an insurance company. My family and my company have saved THOUSANDS of dollars by calling Legalshield to help us know what we should or shouldn’t do, etc. Where my phone goes, my law firm goes. This service can’t be beat. I don’t always get the answer I want to hear, but I’m thankful it didn’t cost me an arm and a leg to find out. Thank you legalshield!

LegalShield response

You are welcome! Thank you for sharing your valuable experience with us. We are so pleased to hear you are using your membership and benefits for your legal needs.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

I used Legalshield for about 4 months and was disappointed to say the least. Their responsiveness was very slow and often you get bounced around to different legal providers and the follow up is poor. When I tried to cancel my services, they gave me the run around as well which was not shocking. You can't cancel online, so I've spent several days trying to get ahold of someone on the phone to cancel. I am so frustrated that I'm to the point of just reporting it as fraud to my credit company. Don't waste your money!

LegalShield response

The legal system requires every law firm to perform a conflict check. Ethically a law firm cannot represent a client if they have previously represented the adverse party. Unlike other subscription services like Spotify and Netflix, LegalShield requires cancellation requests to be submitted in writing. We must ensure that the person requesting cancellation is authorized to do so. We do this to protect members as upcoming legal situations can cause individuals in the same household (and on the same membership) to take actions that may not be in the best interest of everyone involved.

LegalShield Company Information

1972
Formerly Named:
Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.
1 Prepaid Way