2. Legal Services

LegalShield

formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.92/5

More than 4.1 million members have turned to LegalShield for advice on estate planning, consumer and credit protection, benefits disputes and auto and driving issues. LegalShield assists families, individuals, small businesses and human resources professionals with legal problems related to immigration, personal injury and financial concerns. LegalShield offers services in all 50 states and four Canadian provinces, and the company partners with law firms to answer legal questions and provide legal help.

Get access to verified lawyers today

Ask for help 24/7 on JustAnswer

Get Started

Get access to verified lawyers today

Ask for help 24/7 on JustAnswer

Get Started

LegalShield Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LegalShield?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about LegalShield?

Original review: Sept. 22, 2020

My experience with LS over the past year and a half is disappointing. I have been using them for help with dealing with my landlord stealing from me through deception. Every time I call I wait for hours for a call back. The call is from a different lawyer every time, never once have they even familiarized themselves with the files and had no idea of the specifics of the case. I spend 20 - 30 minutes bringing them up to speed and they then tell me how the previous lawyer who directed me was wrong, and then they confuse the issue by telling me how they would have done it. I have spoken to at least 4 LS lawyers on this, one seemed competent but gave me terrible advice which has forced me to start a small claims case from scratch. The others were condescending, rude and demeaning of their own colleagues.

The one time I needed actual small claims help for court they wanted a huge retainer, from another lawyer that had not even bothered to look at the 6 month long records. I've been in business for myself for 28 years and have had dealing with multitudes of lawyers. Unless it is simple document review you will be wasting your money and time with this service.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2020

A waste of money! They are no kind of help whatsoever!!! You pay money for services they cannot provide and basically I just paid 25$ for 6 months for absolutely nothing! Legal Shield is a fraud!!! They make money off taking people's money without being able to really help you! You are better off paying your own lawyer as I did! They kept my money as well after I emailed my complaint! I've heard no response! What a fraud!!!!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

My family and I have been customers LegalShield for more than five years. We had a legal issue. First, calling to speak with someone at LegalShield is unacceptable. The hold time takes forever. Then I had to argue with the representative as he accused me of not having an account. Calling back to speak to someone knowledgeable took 45mins. Next, we left a message for an attorney to call back. The initial attorney told us what we needed to do, and how much the retainer is ($3200) but another attorney would call us back in three days to discuss things further. When the attorney called on the third day my phone rang once. When I tried to call back. I couldn't get anyone on the phone. We ended up locating a 5 Star Attorney, with a cheaper retainer fee, and immediate callback. So disappointed in LegalShield.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

My experience with LegalShield was not how I expected it to be nor how they say it is. Legalshield claims they come with "coverage" with their service when in reality they are no help at all. Every time I had a ticket I needed to be looked at, it was always a "we don't cover that type of violation" and every time they did decide to help me the attorney they assigned to my cases, would always end up providing no assistance at all. If it wasn't one thing it was another. Now that I decided to leave Legalshield service I am having problems with half of my driver's tickets. They can't help because "my account is not active". I do not recommend this service at all.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

I am so honored to have the opportunity to recognize Alyssia ** with Legal Shield's Member Support Team #**! She not only went above and beyond to help my clients but she even went so far as to call them to ensure they were satisfied, had personal service and set an appointment with them the following day for follow up. It is because of customer service representatives like her that make me SO very proud to represent our organization! Thank you Alyssia! I am honored to have met you!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

I just got Legal Shield and the lawyer I got was extremely rude and demeaning. Her first name was Susan, but she refused to give me her whole name, so clearly she was afraid of what I might say online about her. I called the service back and found out her name was Susan ** and she worked out of Parker Stanbury in Los Angeles, CA. She talked over me, wouldn't listen, made a lot of assumptions that were way off base and kept trying to hang up before I could make my needs known. Because she was such a bad listener, I ended up repeating myself a few times and still didn't get myself understood or the answers I needed before she hung up. She even said she didn't give a damn about my case. Incredibly unprofessional and over the top rude. The whole experience was less then 5 minutes and would have been shorter if I didn't keep insisting she answer my questions. From reading the reviews, I am not alone in my experience with Legal Shield.

LegalShield response

Hello Martha. Thank you for providing us with feedback. We appreciate hearing from our members, although we’re sorry that your experience appears to have been unsatisfactory. LegalShield aims to provide the best customer service possible, and for our attorneys to provide members with the most successful outcome for their legal matters while adhering to the benefits provided with the membership. We hope you will take just a moment to submit your feedback to LegalShield Customer Care by submitting a service concern form at https://legalshield.typeform.com/to/pSnMnF. Thank you again for bringing your concerns to our attention.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

Initially I was signed up as an associate, and quickly decided I did not want to be an associate. The person who signed me up failed to inform me that there was a recurring charge for the associate webpage that is created when you sign up as an associate. I was also pressured to sign up for ID shield after I informed them that I did not want that service. Cancellation of anything with this company is very difficult. So before you sign up for ANYTHING through LegalShield, or their affiliate subscriptions, make sure you know what you’re getting into!

Original review: June 29, 2020

I am absolutely disgusted with LegalShield and their flagrant misrepresentation of the services they provide. My assigned Law Firm (DSK Law) treated me like I was a substandard human being and the Attorney who contacted me was the most unprofessional and belligerent person I have ever had contact within a professional setting. Nothing even comes close to how incredibly disrespectful this individual was towards me, and she even went as far as to start mocking me and shaming me after she learned that I am a disabled veteran of the United States Marine Corps. I was in complete disbelief that this person has an active license to practice law in the state of Florida. Additionally, there is very little doubt in my mind that the attorney was on some type of ** by the way. She was talking in a hyperactive state along with her incoherent rants about how I am not a priority because I am a member of LegalShield.

I cannot recommend enough that LegalShield completely cut ties with this Law Group as they are not only bad for business, but they are also a huge liability as well. I attempted to contact the CEO of LegalShield but I was not given any phone number or email address when I asked for this information to share with Mr. Bell. I was committed to becoming a lifetime member of LegalShield because I had a very good friend who once worked for them before he passed away and he always had nothing but excellent things to say about working for them. If he were here today, I know that she would feel the exact same way that I do. To display my confidence with how committed I was to LegalShield and the services that they market, I paid for an entire year in advance with the expectation that I had legal representation ready at a moment's notice if I were to need it.

As if this weren't bad enough, I am now being denied a refund for two products and services not rendered by Legal Shield. DSK Law out of Brooksville, FL, is the absolute worst Law Firm that I have ever experienced In my entire life. If Mr. Bell really cares as much as he says he does for his customers, he needs to contact me directly so he knows what is happening in the field and not what he knows sitting behind his desk looking at a computer screen.

I challenge Mr. Bell to step out of his comfort zone and actually speak to me and learn how horrible of an experience and the treatment I was rendered, especially how I was mocked for being a disabled veteran of the United States Marine Corps. I am already in touch with the Florida Bar, and they are currently investigating exactly what happened, along with investigating LegalShield for providing legal services that are grossly misrepresented and then refusing to issue a refund of an entire year paid in advance by me because I have canceled. David **

Original review: June 17, 2020

I have been a customer for a long time. Probably over 15 years. They were originally prepaid legal services. The provider firms do everything they can to not give you free legal advise. 3 times I was told the legal issue "wasn't really mine" even though I felt it was mine. At least 3 times they told me there was a conflict of interest and they sent me to another attorney who is useless. I've only even been able to get my provider firm to handle my will. The final straw was the complete incompetence on the part of the Firm they sent me to because of the conflict the provider firm claimed to have. In my opinion there was no conflict. They always have an excuse and this time they lost me money. DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE. I have cancelled my membership.

Original review: June 12, 2020

From day one had my husband's and my own wills done immediately saving us approx $1,500 as well as, financial power of attorney's. I wish I had found this service years ago. Amazing service and amazing company.

LegalShield Company Information

1972
    Formerly Named:
    Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.
    1 Prepaid Way