3.3/5 (107 ratings)

About Register.com

Register.com Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Register.com?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Register.com?

Original review: April 12, 2021

Some time ago I stopped the auto renewal of my domain at Register.com, and asked if a refund was possible as I did this before the expiration date. They never answered this question, but instead turned on a monthly renewal for the same account! Completely unaware of this my credit card has been charged every month since then!! I regret so much I didn't Google register.com until now, because I can see they have a really bad reputation with stories much in style with my experience - and a long time back. I clearly consider this to be credit card theft because I have never approved of these charges, and I have proof that I was in contact with their support and clearly stated that I didn't want to renew the account but to get a refund if possible. Instead they did this.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

When you have trouble accessing their site due to... a password issue etc... Register.com offers a few options to get a hold of them... Email Us - here's an option that is useless. You have to "LOG IN" to submit a support ticket. Chat Now - Lol... this button actually doesn't do anything. Call Us - You can speak to their award-winning (they made this up) support team.

"Call Us" is really your only option... but... When you do get a hold of them by phone, you get a person with a foreign, hard to understand, accent. Because they're not good with English, they misunderstand your concerns. They may send you a password reset and tell you it'll take 15 minutes... then have a nice day. Or, they'll sit on the phone and listen (pretend) to your concerns but offer no real help that you couldn't give yourself if they could just figure out how to unlock your account. Bottom Line... if you need a company for their customer service, go somewhere else.... Register.com ain't it!! Oh, and when I finally got an email to do a password reset... I got an error message saying "Error - We couldn't process this action at this time, please try again later."

Original review: Dec. 28, 2020

This company is very shady, not upfront on anything. They randomly charge without providing services and when confronted you never get an email back. I highly discourage using this service. They don't disclose renewal costs either which is dishonest.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2020

I’ve been using this company for well over a decade with “not too big” issues until 3 years ago, when ghost payments of few dollars were moved from my bank acct. to their company. They weren’t able to explain what happened and refund half the money. This year I received an email saying my account was being auto-renewed, setting that I have set off, and by the way, one month earlier than it should be. The auto-payment was of 38 dollars. After few hours online spent with a representative, unapologetically told me the payment was going to get refunded into my account. Today I checked my bank acct. and only 28 of the 38 was refunded. I last years excuse was a mistake. Haven’t heard back from them as online help shows very busy. This is A FRAUD and as so I will take legal action to avoid this scam artist to keep stealing people’s money.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2020

I have been with Register.com for a web site and e-mails for almost 20 years. The renewal was in November, 2020. They took my money and now my business e-mails do not work. I have opened numerous tickets, but to no avail. I am in the UK and have telephoned, whereby one call cost over $20.00 dollars. Other call go unanswered. I have asked in one ticket to register a complaint. When I perused their site the following day, the ticket had been removed! They now do not reply to any of the tickets I open. Appalling Company with no customer service and nowhere and no one to make a complaint to – how can they be allowed to run such a Company in America!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2020

We have had domain and email hosting for over 10 years with this company. Our services are always renewed and paid for on 12/15. They have now charged us a month ahead of time for a service we were planning on canceling when this latest year was up. There is no way to get a hold of them to cancel as one is put on hold for 45 minutes to an hour and then told that you have to speak to another department. They purport to transfer you but then hang up. I plan on disputing the charges with my credit card company and just getting a new domain name and email hosting with another company. Stay clear of this company. It’s all headaches. By the way, their email hosting is prehistoric. No spam blockers so you get spammed day and night.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2020

I have been a Register customer for more than 15 years. I have 3 separate accounts with dozens of URLS registered in those accounts. Almost 3 months ago, I was UNEXPECTEDLY unable to login to one of my 3 accounts (the one with the most URLS). I tried changing passwords, etc., then finally called Customer service. After an hour on the line, they sent me a link to change the PW and hung up. The link worked, but upon changing my PW and clicking "Submit," I got an "ERROR" message saying to call Customer Service. So I did that and repeated the process in its entirety. Then I got busy and put off getting this resolved, until a couple of months passed and then I started getting a bunch of Renewal notices, for URLS I did not want to renew. SO, I called Customer Service AGAIN and went through the entire process AGAIN, pointing out that this was costing me fees.

Customer Service offered to handle the renewals for me by phone, but I pointed out that I didn't want to renew, I wanted TO HAVE ACCES TO MY OWN ACCOUNT. So once again, the same conversation with a new Customer Service rep, followed by a guarantee that the issue would be resolved by others in customer service (after the current call), and that I would be contacted within 48 hours. Within an hour, I get an email saying that Customer Service cannot help me because they cannot "Locate" my account. This is of course ridiculous, because each Customer Service Rep could SEE my account and was willing to let me renew my domain(s) over the phone, but no one could give me access to my own account.

So, to make a longer story short(er), I have now had 7 calls with Customer Service, over a period of almost 3 months. 4 of these calls have been in the past 2 weeks. The process is ALWAYS the same. Nice CS rep on the phone, I explain what happened every other time (to save time, which it doesn't), I provide the previous Customer Service 'ticket numbers' for my previous calls. Then they send me a link to create a new PW, then that leads to the same "ERROR" message. And so on and so forth.

Today (I STILL don't), I started my Customer Service call by asking for a Supervisor (as I was told to do by my last Customer Service Rep). Then I informed this initial CS person that if the issue is not resolved today, I am filing a complaint with my state Attorney General's office Fraud Division. I cannot think of another way to proceed at this time. Once I DO get access to my account (I am still holding out reasonable hope that this will happen at some point soon), I plan on moving ALL of my URLs to another domain service. However, based on the reviews I am reading here, that will probably be a big hassle as well. This company should be shut down by the Attorney General's office, IMHO. They have highjacked my URLs, my account, and nothing seems to get their attention. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY AT ALL COSTS!!!! FRAUD...

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

I've owned valuable (3 letter, one word, etc.) domain names thru Register.com since 1999. I used to call to renew, but tired of the sales pitches to renew at higher prices and for services I didn't need. (Calling them is a nightmare, trust me). I was thrilled when I found promo code AuthReq10 (1 year, $10 renewal) online and it worked. Then, about two years ago, I began to received high offers for some of my domain names vis email, with Register.com (Web.com) getting copies of these offers, as well, as the registrar. SUDDENLY the promo code for $10 renewal no longer worked.

HERE IS THE COMPLAINT: I called and was told the $10 promo code AuthReq10 no longer was valid - a LIE. I checked by having a relative renew and use the code on their name/account, and it worked. After weeks of calls and complaints - including one to ConsumerAffairs, I was allowed to use the code. It worked for about 5 months, now I AM BEING BANNED AGAIN. I have tried other discount renewal codes, as well - NONE WORK.

I contacted Register.com via the web, and requested WRITTEN TERMS AND CONDITIONS for promo code AuthReq10, and was refused the written terms and conditions, and over and over told to CALL. Of course, they can LIE on the phone as they did last year. This HAS to be illegal. I am making complaints to other parties, including Komando, Icann, etc., but would APPRECIATE it if you would look into this.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

You can't make changes on the website like you could 5 years ago. You have to call to do anything except to sign-up for a new service. To make any changes you have to call and it is always the wrong department unless of course you are adding a service! I was on hold today for three and a half hours. Yesterday was a measly ninety minutes. Still nothing done. All I have done is talk to the wrong department! I think I may just do it at a different company which I would suggest you do. Run as fast as you can!

Original review: July 30, 2020

I have had my domain registered with them for about 15 years. Their web based email runs as if still in the 20c. They seem to have crashed today but don’t bother to inform customer. Why do I stay with them - read the other reviews and you will see how hard it is to transfer.

Original review: May 27, 2020

The worst company I have ever dealt with, total morons. The site is always down. The tech support is the worst ever. I cannot update the DNS. They won't let me move my domains. They keep charging my card for no reason. GRRR!!!! STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!!!

Original review: May 22, 2020

Register.com account management and customer service sucks. There is no way you can initiate a transfer or get EPP. The client needs to contact them and wait endlessly to hit a wall. If you want to change account holder there is no warning that this will put an automatic 60 days lock on the domain.

Original review: March 6, 2020

They are trying to prevent me from transferring domain out. They claim they cannot verify that it's me that wants to transfer the domain. But I authenticated with a password, responding to email, using a phone on my account, and providing credit card details. Complete jerks. I spent 6 hours on this today and it's not done and I have no commitment from them that they will allow it.

Original review: March 2, 2020

Purchased domain name and email services on 2/28/2020. Attempted to activate my email and build my website, but could not access "Manage Account". Called a variety of customer service numbers listed, on hold for 2+ hours on Fri afternoon. No answer. Called Sat and got "we are closed" message though they claim to have Sat and Sun customer service hours. Called Mon and got "we are experiencing high volume of calls". Took my money and failed to provide services. STAY AWAY!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

The past 4 times I have called regarding the same subject, I have gotten 3 different answers, and the minimum I had to wait was 24 minutes upwards to 36 minutes. If we didnt have so many domains with them, I'd go somewhere else. Check out Hostgator or Dreamhost if I were you, even GoDaddy.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

Been a customer for years and while not stellar service it was good enough. Went to order a new domain name today and placed the order including their Private Domain Registration which masks your info when people look up the Domain name. The web page just went back to my Control Panel page after placing the order but the new Domain name wasn't listed. I also didn't get a email receipt. Just for fun I did a who is and the new domain was listed with my private info showing. Exactly what I DID NOT WANT. Called support and she basically said maybe if I wait it will mask itself. Grrr.

Waited an hour. Received 3 calls from the automated IRS system telling me that unless I call them back they were going to shut off my SS# or something.. Coincidence? Nope. Also during that time my main email address started filling up with spam.. Called support back and DEMANDED that they cancel the account if that's what it took to get my private info off the net. The new rep hemmed and hawed but finally got my info masked. A day late and a dollar short. Future will only tell how many people grabbed my email and phone number before that.

So basically, Register.com did the exact OPPOSITE of what I paid them to do, compromising my email address, physical address, and phone number all while not caring about any of them and hoping for the best without actually doing anything. I will never use them again and will be transferring all my current domain names asap.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

Whenever I have an issue with a client's product and it's with Register.com, the problem is rarely resolved and you have to figure it out yourself. Every review I've seen on this Consumer Affairs website I completely agree with. Don't use this company for anything. If you do use them and have an issue, prepare to be on hold with support for an eternity. I'm typing this review as I'm on hold with them. It's been 48 minutes so far. Disgusting customer service.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

It has been terrible experience. Promising to expedite the transfer and still no results. It's been 10 days and numerous phone calls. I have been waiting on the finalization of the transfer. They are taking their time holding my domain hostage. They keep sending me emails with new deals to stay. My email box has stopped working so I have not been receiving my emails. They say they are working on it. It's been a nightmare switching. New buyers beware....

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

Register.com's interface is designed to intentionally obfuscate some settings and it intentionally makes it impossible for an admin user to change them easily as well. The settings in question are those with respect to auto renew. Basically, you can't not have a credit card on file and you can't turn off auto-renew without dealing with their impersonal and time wasting support. Making DNS changes is slow and seems antiquated in format. Support is slow to respond and usually only somewhat knowledgeable.

Original review: July 11, 2019

Client for 14 years. Needed to install SSL to WordPress site. My time support installed and rendered site unfixable. No links worked. Was told site too old after they ruined my site. New site, called to get right hosting. They deleted old hosting, deleted my site and signed me up to the wrong package. 48 hours later was told that was wrong package. New package bought. Told it would work within minutes to upload new site. Did not work. Called again. Told would take 2 hours. Did not work. Called to cancel all products and get refund.

They cancelled two and then charged me $2885 for "professional email." Called back. Told supervisor would have to reverse charge that I NEVER authorized. No supervisor ever called or emailed so I took it up with my Visa. Also, in all this I was told I needed to extend email and domain name. I did not. Confirmed by billing. This company is not only shady they are criminal. Steer way clear of them. They are a disaster. Paid my web designer 180/hour times 5 hours to try to make this work. He finally said, "Cut your losses and leave."

Original review: June 30, 2019

Despite my making two phone calls to cancel hosting (there is no option to cancel online) they continued to bill me for hosting. After a third attempt to cancel by chat I was also billed. Customer service was extremely frustrating, long waits to speak with people who were rarely helpful. The “consultant” I spoke to about SEO seemed to lack basic knowledge and had a bizarre and grandiose sense of his own importance. Not worth the amount of aggravation for the low(ish) price.

Original review: June 11, 2019

I wish I could give negative stars, because Register.com is not even worth a single star. Since June 7, 2019, I have been trying to reach Register.com about a domain that is no longer in use and to cancel any and all services for that domain. I tried calling Register.com on Saturday -- Register.com states very clearly their hours of operation for Monday thru Friday, and Saturday and Sunday -- they were supposed to handle calls until 10:00PM on Saturday, and I called at/around 8:30PM. After going through numerous prompts to filter or focus my customer service needs, I get a recorded message that they're closed and call back during business hours (and I DID CALL BETWEEN BUSINESS HOURS!!).

Since the call didn't work out, I filled out their online support form and was given a 'ticket number' and read that it may take 24 to 48 hours for support to get back in touch with me. When I tried to check back about my 'support ticket', there was no 'support ticket' opened. So, once again, I filled out another support form, got a 'ticket number'. It's been over 48 hours and no one has contacted me. I am beyond aggravated and believe that basically I'm out $38.00 for a domain that is no longer in use and hasn't been used for several months.

Register.com allows you sign up for services online, but to cancel, you have to call, and then they NEVER answer. Really, I just think and believe it's a way to screw people over and out of their money -- you know, give the customer the run-around long enough and they'll give up. I will NEVER use Register.com's services again and I certainly will warn everyone to steer clear of doing business with Register.com. Awful customer service. Terrible, nonexistent support. NO communication. Horrible business ethics and practices. Register.com is a 'loophole thief'. Anyone who reads this review, my most sincere advice -- do business with another company and save yourself the headache and frustration of dealing with and losing money to Register.com.

Original review: June 5, 2019

I purchased a domain name and an email address from Register.com for $77.90. The next day I called to purchase a web hosting page. They quoted a price of $199.00 per year as a package that includes both email and domain name. I ask them if they would deduct the money I had already paid because domain and email are included in the Web hosting package. They said they would only deduct the domain address and not the email address. That means a $39.00 loss for me in one day. I am going elsewhere for my Web page. They lost a customer, $199.00 per year, and gained a bad review.

Original review: June 3, 2019

Please consider using any other domain name registry. This company's entire marketing model is built on constantly spamming customers in an effort to sell more products. Even after requesting all marketing emails stop by unsubscribing, I continued to get sales messages. Recently, I overlooked an actually important email. I assumed it was more spam. It notified me that my domain name would be suspended if I did not verify my email address. Today, my entire business went down because the domain name was suspended. So, I finally acted on my intent to transfer a different domain to AWS. After speaking to customer service, I was given an authorization code. I provided the code to AWS with a request to transfer the domain name. Several hours later, REGISTER.COM sent an email advising that the transfer request was denied because they were "Unable to Verify Registrant Identity ".

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Billings are an issue with Register.com. This company does not have a complaints division/representative or any communications channel for such; does not have any email communications with the billings team; does not have access to an (My) account for past billings and a customer has to actually ask for nonrenewal of redundant domain name.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I have a domain on Register.com and I want to transfer it to another registrar, but register.com refuses to cancel private registration of that domain and it's not possible to transfer domain without private registration turned off. There's no way on website to do it, so I called their support and asked to cancel private registration. They said that they cancelled it, but they did not do it. I called second time and asked to cancel it again and they again said that they will do it, but they again lied to me. After that I created a support ticket explaining situation and asked to cancel private registration again, and after several minutes they deleted my support ticket without any notification. This company is committing crime by not giving me right to transfer my domain away from them. My domain is held hostage by them! Never do any business with this company. They are criminals!!!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I have domain names registered with this company. I decided to change holders and consolidate my accounts with a different company. I have been trying to get authorization codes to move my domains for over a month now. They ignore my requests and tickets. I called their '24/7' helpline only to be told that department is closed!? My domains have now expired and God only knows if I'll ever get them back. Also, their renewal rates are more than twice as much as anyone else. Don't get tricked into signing up with a cheap first time offer. You'll live to regret it! In no way, shape or form should anyone use this company...

Original review: Jan. 25, 2019

I am a register customer for over ten year now. I am paying USD38 a year (!!!) for a simple .com address; no other services. Just got an email that they will increase the pricing again next time I renew. To USD39.99. It is just a joke. So, besides that fact, I wanted to start domain transfer to my other registrar where all of my other domains are collected. Trying to get the process going with Register ("Obtain Auth Info Code ") to transfer my domain, the system said the will send me manually (!) a code by email within 3-4 days. Of course the email never arrived...

So I created a first support ticket today, asking for help. And who knows, a few minutes later, the system stated that I do not have any support ticket. Thanks God. I made a screenshot. Setting up a second ticket stating the troubles with ticket one. Sent. Screenshot. A few minutes later also this ticket vanished. I have no idea what is going on with Register. But besides their non-competitive pricing, their processes are absolutely against customers and their support seems (deliberately) to be absent. WORST online (sic!) company ever... Don't get trapped there. You never get out again.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Terrible company, should have a zero star rating. I registered a domain for $1 per month, just got my first monthly bill of $30.93, they added on extra services I never signed up for. No option to cancel anything on website, I have to call to cancel. Sales phone rep answered in 10 seconds, transferred me to billing, was on hold for 8 minutes until a recording said my estimated hold would be another 10 minutes and I hung up. This company is obviously going under and they're trying to scam customers out of as much money as possible with their cash flow crisis. STAY AWAY FROM Register.com!!!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I manage 100s of Wordpress sites and have one that is hosted at Register.com. I've been requesting them to upgrade to the Wordpress.org versions of both PHP and MySQL and they absolutely refuse to do it. Our site is super slow on their servers and it is hugely problematic. This morning I tried to update a plugin and got a 504 Gateway timeout (i.e., their server crashed). My site was down for 10 minutes. When it came back up the site was broken with multiple errors caused by their server crashing during the update. When I called, I spent 10 minutes on hold. When they answered, their customer service rep was rude, belligerent and refused to help me. I ended up hanging up on them and had to troubleshoot the issue myself. The issue is with their antiquated servers malfunctioning. I called them for help to document the issue. Avoid Register.com if you can.

Register.com Company Information