3.49/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Register.com

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Register.com Reviews

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Terrible company, should have a zero star rating. I registered a domain for $1 per month, just got my first monthly bill of $30.93, they added on extra services I never signed up for. No option to cancel anything on website, I have to call to cancel. Sales phone rep answered in 10 seconds, transferred me to billing, was on hold for 8 minutes until a recording said my estimated hold would be another 10 minutes and I hung up. This company is obviously going under and they're trying to scam customers out of as much money as possible with their cash flow crisis. STAY AWAY FROM Register.com!!!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I manage 100s of Wordpress sites and have one that is hosted at Register.com. I've been requesting them to upgrade to the Wordpress.org versions of both PHP and MySQL and they absolutely refuse to do it. Our site is super slow on their servers and it is hugely problematic. This morning I tried to update a plugin and got a 504 Gateway timeout (i.e., their server crashed). My site was down for 10 minutes. When it came back up the site was broken with multiple errors caused by their server crashing during the update. When I called, I spent 10 minutes on hold. When they answered, their customer service rep was rude, belligerent and refused to help me. I ended up hanging up on them and had to troubleshoot the issue myself. The issue is with their antiquated servers malfunctioning. I called them for help to document the issue. Avoid Register.com if you can.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

Had an email from Register.com. "You are receiving this communication because you registered one or more domain names through one of our official Register.com resellers. Register.com provides support and services to companies that sell and/or provide domain name registrations through a partner program. Domain names registered through these partner companies are listed in our database and managed by the partner companies.

Register.com is accredited by ICANN, the non-profit corporation who oversees the domain name registration system. A policy established by ICANN requires that all registrars contact each customer and request them to verify the accuracy of their WHOIS information. (WHOIS is a publicly accessed database containing contact information associated with every domain name registration.) To comply with the policy, we request that you confirm the accuracy of your WHOIS contact information. Please note: ICANN states that inaccurate or out-of-date contact information in your WHOIS listing may be grounds for domain name cancellation.

Reviewing Your Domain Name Information

Please take a moment to view the WHOIS listing for each of the domain names you currently have registered through us. Please verify your mailing address, email address, and the administrative and technical contacts assigned to each domain name are correct. If your WHOIS information has changed or is inaccurate please log into your account manager and update accordingly. If your WHOIS information is correct, you do not need to take any action. Thank you for your attention to this matter."

I have never heard of Register.com, and all my business was done through my web providers. I have looked on the site and when I search for my domain nothing comes up apart from a checkbox asking me to verify that I am not a robot. What is this all about?

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I had a domain name registration with Register.com for a few years. But I've changed my business and was not interested in that domain anymore. So, I chose to not renew it. For my surprise, I was charged in my credit card for the renewing, months before its expiration date. I contact them, and they said they would cancel the renovation and credit my credit card. However, that didn't happen. I contacted them again, same answer. I have to pay my credit card bill with the renewing tax, but I called the credit card company and complained that I didn't have authorized that purchase.

After that, Register.com immediately canceled the domain, even if I had yet 3 months left to used it, after all, I PAID for that 1 year ago. To make things worse, they sent my an email saying that all my rights with them was terminated, because I charged back. Hopefully, I really don´t want to do business with them anymore. A company that charges the credit card of its customers without permission is not worth of having loyal customer as I was during 10 years. Take care of doing business with Register.com, they are avid to charge your credit card.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Like other reviewers, I bought my domain from Register.com years ago when they were well-reviewed and moderately priced. I will NOT be renewing!!! They have removed the basic functions that allow you to edit your domain or manage your account AT ALL. It literally is a broken link with no recourse or alternative method available. The only section that they have maintained is the cart, and the renewal page. Obviously they only want you to keep paying them, and have no intention of providing any services at all for that money.

Again, the service I want is really, really basic: a simple 301 redirect or htaccess edit to allow my Weebly website to be viewed when you type in the domain without typing "www." first. This is standard and I was able to manage this on Register.com for years. SUDDENLY, without any warning, this went away; the webpage now shows up as broken (This site can't be reached, Server IP address not found) if a customer forgets to type in the "www." at the front of the address. I can't fix it through Register.com anymore because they haven't repaired their "manage" page. The service is literally just gone and I have no recourse except to wait for my domain with them to expire, and switch to some other company. DO NOT BUY FROM THIS SHADY, FRAUDULENT COMPANY. They are now a scam that will not provide you with the service you paid for.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Register.com?

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

Is Register.com so tight up for money that they have to do everything possible to block transfers of domain names to alternative registration services. Sure looks like that to me. I have been trying literally for months to transfer a domain name away from Register and I continually hit roadblocks. I am now only one month away from the expiration and if they do not release it shortly I will be forced to renew with them for one year - and I started this process in August! Shame on them.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

Have owned over 100 domain names since 1999. After years of calling to renew, and paying a lot, I found discount codes and began to use them about five or six years ago. I did the same the other day. The code was accepted. The renewal went through at $10.00 each. I got a confirmation number. An email came in which looked like all normal INVOICE emails I get. I was satisfied, and went to bed. Next day I go into Register.com to make sure the new expiration date was there - it was NOT. I check my bank account. The money was taken out. I rechecked my email, and it said "unfulfilled" on all the domain name, and "0" on the amount charged.

I called Register.com in Nova Scotia, and the rep spent almost two hours with me finally telling me that even though the Auth Code was accepted, the new CEO at Register.com/Web.com had raised the price to $39.99 per renewal, and the lowest discount she could offer was $29.99. I didn't have enough money to renew at that price, so I chose only 4 names to renew - two which actively being used on websites since 1999. Still she could not get a renewal to go through. It wasn't the debit card, it wasn't anything else.

Furthermore, she said there was a "legal lock" on my domain names which I had never requested, and which I have been requesting for YEARS that they take off. So as it stands today, I have to call their Legal department and their Finance department to find out what is going on. Is Web.com/Register.com trying to shake me loose of my valuable domain names after all these years of paying for renewals? Sure looks that way. And if that is the case, I will be searching for a lawyer who specializes in this sort of thing...

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

Warning!!! If you do not have a REGISTER.COM account don’t get one. If you already have one, you will soon regret it – start looking for a good web hosting service. I've been a REGISTER.COM customer with multiple sites for more than 10 years. Register.com was a really good company before Web.Com purchased them. Since that time, the help desk services have steadily declined. Now they have hit an all-time low after being acquired by Siris Capital.

I received two email messages asking that I confirm my email address “due to ICAN” requirements. I was on vacation and did not receive the emails so Register.com redirected my websites to a placeholder. When I returned, I logged into my account and confirmed my email address. By the way, this email address is hosted by Register.com and has not changed in 10 years.

After the web address were restored Register.com left a script in place that continues to rename my Index.com file to Index.com.bak.bak and added an index.php file that points to the Index.com.bak.bak file. This change creates problems, it adds dead links to my web page menus. In less than 12 hours after the files are corrected - Register.com returns. Restores the bak.bak files. Two different problem escalation reports have been sent to their off-site team (more than likely in India) only to be cancelled. Unless you retain the file numbers the reps are unable to find them.

When I ask for a supervisor or manager – they do not have one. I have also been told that David Brown, Web.com’s, CEO does not talk to customer. The web hosting team has advised me of the following – none of which are ture 1. That I made the changes, 2. That someone has my FTP password and id, 3. That my computer has a keylogger malware infection. And 4. That I should move my account to a different hosting provider. This is the only good advice that I have received.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

The interface to manage domains has been broken for months. They charge you $50 on top of domain fee to do a forward. They turn on a "SafeRenew" function that renews domains even if you do not want them renewed. The technical support is atrocious, and takes hours to get anywhere. The pricing is insanely high. They do not offer invoices online, you have to call them to make a request. After wasting hundreds of hours, I am moving to another service. The question is, will they charge me for that?

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I have been using Register.com & Web.com for about 10 years. What awful customer support. Today they shut down my domain for several hours because they were trying to confirm an email. I found the email and it looked like some virus that I would never open. To shut down a large business without even a phone call is horrible and given the choice I would not ever recommend them.

Register.com Company Information