1.81/5
Based on 27 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

27 LastPass Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I tried LastPass by signing up for the free version a little over a month ago. When you do this you are automatically given the paid Premium version for a 30 day trial. My intention was to give the product a try and then if I liked it, I would sign up for the paid Premium service. During the month I had several problems using LastPass and tried getting assistance through their email customer support... That’s the only kind they have. It took several days to get a reply and that just directed me to tutorials on their website. Those tutorials are very low quality and not much help.

Finally 2 days after the 30 day Premium trial was up, I got locked out of my LastPass account. No warning...just couldn’t log in using the same master password I had used numerous times and had written down, just in case. Tried using LastPass password retrieval feature and it doesn’t work. So, I did the only other thing I could and sent an email to LastPass customer support. After 3 days, no reply. Terrible experience. I still think using a password manager is a good idea but there has to be decent customer support to go with it.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

You'd think after all this time LastPass would have cracked the issues around constant 'Error logging in' errors. I work in web development so I'm well versed in debugging issues on a clients' end and my end. The fact is, you shouldn't need 9 separate steps to resolve an issue, not to mention many times they don't even work. There are far more reliable storage mediums than using cookies, I'd advise you look into them more. To others, this is a great extension on paper, the application itself is plagued with constant errors however, would steer clear if I wasn't being forced to use it for work. For those about to try this extension out, please see screenshots of the various issues that come with it and get to know them well, you'll be seeing them a lot!

Get expert buying tips about Password Manager delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

It's true is a great program if you don't have any problems, which I did. The only contact them for help is a support ticket, which I did. They told me to do this, which I did but it didn't work. I wrote back and then they told me to try this and that. All which did not work. I ask them to give me a call, they would not. Because of their customer support, I would recommend that you consider another program.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I tried a "free" trial from LastPass & later chose not to continue with them. I still received emails from them for a long time & wondered why but never really explored it. Recently I did look into it more as I wondered how & why LastPass was informing me of changes to my credit report. Consciously, I NEVER gave LastPass permission to access my personal information; I thought these people were a PASSWORD company/service. I emailed them about how & why they are continuing to access my credit report. Their answer was lame and scary. This is their reply; "There are two levels to our credit monitoring service. You have Free and Premium Credit Monitoring. Since you did not pay for the Premium service, you were enrolled in the Free version. Please note that we do not make changes to our user's account for such feature unless an issue is raised."

So here's what consumers need to know: LastPass does more than help you with passwords. They also monitor & likely use the information from your credit report for unknown purposes and might well be paid for your information they use. If you leave LastPass, or choose not to continue with them after a "free" trial, they still gave themselves "fine print" authorization to access your credit report and other personal information. You MUST cancel or cite a problem with your account before they will address this.

A "free" trial is not really free if they access, store and/or transfer to 3rd parties, your personal data. This is made worse by the fact that you likely don't know what they are doing with your data or to whom it was provided, and what compensation LastPass received for your data. LastPass has low and some horrible ratings on various other sites. Just Google "LastPass Privacy Issues" and you'll see a pattern here. There is a strong deceptive element in what they do, what you are truly authorizing them to do, what they actually do with your personal data and how difficult and often impossible it is to END your account. Doing nothing, such as not paying them, will not stop them from continuing to access and likely sell or otherwise transfer your data.

I've been appalled by LastPass "customer service" responded to me. They basically justify what they do with "you never told us it was a problem" BS. After careful examination, I can suggest that you avoid LastPass especially any "free" offers. This company, IMO, is unethical, sneaky and disreputable. There are others out there, use them.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I wrote before, complaining about LastPass support, where I forgot the password when they told me my password was too old and I should change it. Their process of recalling a password was so confusing that I lost what I put in. Now they tell me that I have to re-create all of my passwords! And that is the last I will see of LastPass, except that I asked for my money back. Lots of luck on that! Well I am now trying to reconstruct the over 100 sites that I use regularly. What a job that is! I estimate it will take me over 20 hours to recover most of those sites, but probably will lose some permanently! They have certainly dropped the ball on this! I would not again use LastPass, even if they paid me to use it!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LastPass?

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

This is the second year (maybe even the third) LastPass has helped themselves to funds from my credit card. Oct 2017 was disputed & refunded via bank. Now they have charged me again in Oct 2018, despite the fact I do not have this product, never had the product and sent numerous emails advising them of that. I may have subscribed to a trial period and decided against the product. No matter - LastPass charge whether you authorise it or not.

They advise you log in to the product to cancel your payment. This is difficult if you do not have the product. One would hope their password manager is better than their billing techniques. My last contact with their support advised the payment had been cancelled in 2017. Obviously NOT. I imagine they get away with charging 'fees for no service' many times, like the Australian Big Four banks which charge the accounts of dead people. I have had to resort to having our credit card re-issued - so that is your last pass, LastPass. Fed up.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

Companies are supposed to have an 'unsubscribe' option in their emails... but they don't. They route you through a process and then still spam you afterward. I followed their unsubscribe process this week (which they only give to you if you reply and ask for it) and still received another email from them. The email says the following in it too. "This mandatory email was sent to **: email opt-out settings have been ignored." I never signed up for these emails and I don't want them.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

Been using the free version a little while now and I must say this password manager has been awesome. I've tried a few and so far this one is above the others. Straight forward and easy to navigate. I keep my passwords backed up in case something happens within the software or human error. For the price (free), you can't beat it. Which reminds... Thanks to those at LastPass for all your kind efforts and bringing us a decent product!!!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I followed instructions on their website and lost an entire folder of the most important sites, even though the instructions assured me nothing would be deleted. Found out that there is NO possible way to speak with a human at LastPass, even if you pay for a premium subscription. I opened a support ticket within a few minutes of the problem, on a Friday morning, and heard nothing from them yet. It is Sunday afternoon. Surely a company that takes money for something as important as password protection has support on the weekends. Apparently not. I recommend canceling your premium subscription, if you have one, It doesn't provide anything worth paying for over the free one. Also, you'll have to keep an export of your passwords and secure it yourself anyway, so LastPass doesn't really provide anything but saving you key strokes typing in passwords.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

After using LastPass for several months and putting in a lot of time and effort to learn its ins and outs plus it quirks I thought I had it under control, Then they did a release and now most of my banking and credit card sites do not work with LastPass and I have to go through a very time consuming routine to get the ID and Password which are no longer easy to remember. The only customer service is by email and it is terrible. You get one answer a day that usually isn't worth much. I hear people saying they like it but I can't believe it's ready for primetime i.e. enterprise for a small business or anyone who has to have employees use it. For the most part there is NO customer service/technical support.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I have had a Premium Account with LastPass for 2 months and have nothing but problems. The site sometimes remembers username and passwords, and sometimes it doesn't. I have deleted sites and re-entered them, per LastPast online support recommendation, and it still doesn't work. I have asked repeatedly for a five minute live conversation with a technical rep, but was told that I did not qualify for that kind of support. So bottom line is that I paid for a product that offers me absolutely no value. My recommendation is to save yourself the grief and frustration of using LastPass and find a more reliable password encryption application.

Original review: July 16, 2018

I got the password manager because I read a review that said it was good for Macs. That was not my experience. There were several different ways to access it... through the website, through an icon on my computer, through a browser extension... All had slightly different options. When I contacted support they were condescending and implied I didn't know what I was doing. I stopped using it in less than 3 months even though I'd paid for the premium membership.

Here is the last support ticket I shared: 1. When I enter a new site and have Last Pass generate the password it doesn't always find it and I have to keep resetting passwords 2. Each time I log on to a site it seems to create a new entry in the vault -- so if I've changed the password, there may be 2 or 3 or 4 entries 3. When I try to launch from your app it doesn't always work, and I have to copy the password and do it by hand 4. I'm not sure of an easy way to clean up duplicates.

Original review: July 5, 2018

I've been using LastPass for years, first the free version, then the paid version. I have been very satisfied with the service - that's why I decided to pay for it. I was surprised to see the number of negative reviews here. Most of the issues seem to be with customer support, which I have never needed to use. I've used LastPass on PCs, phones, Chromebooks and iPad. It lets me use complex and unique passwords without effort. It consistently gets high marks from professionals (PCMag, etc.). I can't speak to the support issue, but the product has been just fine for me.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I submitted their requested information in order to obtain their service. I had read a decent review of what they offered. I was in the process of completing what was requested but my request wasn't processing for some unknown reason. I quit the application so no filled application was submitted to them. I thought that I should try later once again.

In the meantime I was in need of obtaining balance information on one of my accounts and I noticed that my bank sign in was asking me to start the sign in process from scratch. I did as requested and got into my account. Then I noticed that another site that I was signing into, and did so regularly, told me that either my username or password were incorrect. I went into my records and confirmed my login data. I repeated my sign in with my recorded username and password and I received the same response; "username and/or password are incorrect".

I decided to choose 'forgot password?' and entered my email address expecting to, in turn, receive an email that would enable me to either retrieve my password or change my password. I received no such email and I cannot get into the webpage. I waited a day and resubmitted my request for my password or to be allowed to change my password and I still get no response from my website. In addition, I am experiencing password difficulties with other accounts.

I did get an image of LastPass when I first tried to sign in to my bank account and that was back when I first encountered the difficulty. I ignored it as I had not submitted a complete application and had paid no fees. It appears as though LastPass has engaged most or all of my passwords and, in a sense, locked me out of them. By the way, they are impossible to discuss this with. Cleverly, they are unavailable by telephone and I could not find an email address to contact. Now, all I am waiting for is a charge to appear on my checking account for my troubles.

Original review: April 28, 2018

This worked for quite a while but went bad about 2 months ago (from the time of this writing). When a password is created or when any entry is changed, LastPass fails to save the change. I'm given a response that the server timed out. This happens regardless of platform or location. I had the problem for months before I finally decided that LastPass wasn't going to detect and fix the problem. I reported it over a week ago and although they've told me they've duplicated the problem, it's still not fixed. Worse, I can't talk to anyone because they only have email as a method to communicate. Imagine that, in today's Chat world, they're stuck using email. I highly recommend that one NOT choose LastPass.

Original review: April 11, 2018

Their support is terrible. Even as a "premium user". No phone number, days and weeks between responses that don't even seem to be relevant to my current problem. Too reliant on "export, uninstall, reinstall, reimport" as their like only solution to problems. I can't even log into the help center on my paid, premium account because their web programmers shove the login back to the "my sites" landing page. ** LastPass.

Original review: April 8, 2018

I have had a premium account for about 5 years. This week, shortly after LastPass took money for a renewed subscription, they informed me they were ditching XMarks. This shows appalling contempt for their customers. In disgust, I have unsubscribed. My new sub with Dashlane, which is marvellous, has highlighted that LastPass is actually not all that good either.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I have been a LastPass user for almost 5 years - first as free version and then as premium. Rates were reasonable. This year they have DOUBLED the rates for premium user, without any communication or explanation for the action. I understand that prices go up but do it fairly, transparently and communicate with your clients. Now trying to talk with customer service to get explanation. I am being put into silly loop of responses that do not address my concern.and are basically aimed at making me so frustrated that I give up. They have me by the throat now as of course I all my password in there. It's a good product but it's too bad that company doesn't care about their clients enough to be honest with the price changes.

Original review: March 15, 2018

I've used LastPass subscription version for about 3 years. Prior to upgrading, I use the free version for about a year. The interface is easy for me to use because I've used it so long it has become familiar to me. I always have a feeling that there MUST be a better, more simple one to use "out there", but I've tried several other similar programs, and this one seems to works well enough for me so far, even though I DO have several annoying problems with it from time to time. For example, on random occasions, the program doesn't load on startup even though I've set it to do so. Thus, when I attempt to login to sites, the autologin feature doesn't work, and the only indicator of the status is the icon is dark. That indicator is difficult to spot until I try to open passworded sites and see that the autologin feature isn't working as it should. To utilize it, I have to launch the program manually.

In some instances, the autologin feature doesn't work even though the setting is correct. Oftentimes, the program wants to save usernames and passwords for sites I've already established in LP and I get incorrect logins and errors from the websites I attempt to use. Recently I changed ISPs, and that was a total cluster... There's no way to make batch changes. You must open each website one by one, change your personal user data in each one, and then change the entries in LastPass - a cumbersome, lengthy, and time-consuming process. Because I'm a home user and I don't have to be overly concerned about security in my office, so I'd love to be able to print out the myriad list of URLs, usernames, and passwords, so that if a crash during which data without trying to recall it all, or access each website and go through the "lost password" process on each. Think about that!

Also, I haven't seen an update in the software in all the time I've used it, which leads me to believe the creator(s) are assuming the software is as good as it can be and doesn't need tweaking for ANY reason, even though there are probably plenty of users making input which, if attended to, could significantly improve the product. I'm going to undertake a review of other like programs to see if there's one that is better and has fewer user complaints. Despite all that, I keep LP because the effort to populate a new one would be so labor and time intensive. That is unless the newest and best was clearly better and more user-friendly than the LP current version. Meanwhile, I keep hoping one like that will eventually become available.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

I was locked out again within the last four months. Account recovery does not work. They say create new account, so I try using my email address, which results in LP saying that email account already exists and therefore I cannot do that. The password hint box sent to email is blank. I have received several emails from LP which haven't helped me one bit. I have no idea how to get around this ridiculous runaround. There is no way to actually get real help. I forgot my master password which is my fault, I will take responsibility for my own mistake, but LP will not do anything but give the same pat advice over and over. I do not have the receipt as I only use the free version, and I am glad I do because if I was paying for this lousy help I would really be sick.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I signed up for a Premium Family account at a cost of $48 annually. I was supposed to be able to add up to 5 family members. However, the family member I added was never able to establish a password, and the technical support I requested was unhelpful. We were directed to delete her account then create a new one. However, we could not create a new account since her email remained in the system. The support team didn't get the problem despite multiple explanations, and the ultimate recommendation ended up with my account reverting to the one person, free account. My issue is not with how LastPass is effective, but the difficulty in obtaining technical support that can actually understand the problem and the impossibility of actually talking to a person.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

LastPass does a good job of saving passwords and keeping them in a secure "vault." It's nice to remember only one password. It also generates complex passwords which is helpful. There is an option for multifactor authentication which is a good idea. I chose Yubikey and purchased two of their keys on Amazon for $80.00. LastPass prompts for the Yubikey but if I don't provide it it will open the vault containing all my passwords anyway. So even though I enabled Yubikey multifactor authentication in my settings I don't get it. Naturally, they want everyone to upgrade to the $12 version of LastPass but it makes no sense to start paying for something that doesn't work.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2017

Not a Premium account. While I do not keep bank account and other important passwords online I find LastPass keeps library, educational and other passwords accessible. I've used LastPass for years. Never had an issue. Plus, when I can't be creative enough to make my own password I love that LastPass can generate one for me. And with just one password to remember I can log on from any of my devices. :-) Even when away from home.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

I've paid a for a 1 year LastPass Premium Subscription on April 7, 2016. On May 9, 2016 I was billed for another 1 year subscription! Again. They say I over billed myself?! Customer Service said 'sorry' No Refund. After showing screen shots to prove they made the extra bill. NO REFUND 'sorry'. I made sure auto renewal was unchecked. Today, Auto Renewal checked ON again! Not by me. So disappointed. They've changed since being bought out by LogMeIn. Your payments go to Marvasol Inc DBA LastPass. Forget being heard after they have your money- whether their fault or not. Stay with free account or better yet, use another password manager.

Original review: March 31, 2017

I am a long time Premium user and I JUST renewed about a month ago and have more than 11 months left and asked for a full refund as I will not use it any longer due to all the exploits and security issues. I was told no it was too long ago (Ummm it just renewed 3/9/17) and to transfer it to someone else. I do not want to transfer it nor should I have to especially with all the security risks of late. I was denied my refund and forced to lost money while my husband who also renewed received his back.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2017

Here you go! LastPass has been fairly straightforward and I have been using the service for about 3 years. Out of that time I have loss my passwords on two different occasions. The first time support after a week was able to retrieve my passwords and I was able to continue without any further disruptions. Recently, LP has lost my passwords again. This time and it's been over three weeks support hasn't been able to retrieve them. I will post every couple of days to let you know when I finally regain my passwords.

Original review: May 26, 2016

It has been said that today's age of doing everything through computers and the internet opened up our generation to a new age of criminal activities. Not being tech savvy, I've been wary in making online transactions because I'm afraid it doesn't have the safeguards I'm used to when doing it old school. But with LastPass, I'm not afraid to have an online life anymore. It's easy to use and gives almost instant alerts whenever my email or bank account is opened in any device other than my cellphone or laptop. It makes me feel secure and unexposed. I have told family and friends about it.

LastPass expert review by ConsumerAffairs

LastPass is a standalone password manager that integrates with any web browser so that users can log in even if they use a different browser at home than at work. It is one of the best-known password managers available and has received critical acclaim.

• Works across browsers and platforms: LastPass users can access passwords via any web browser, including their mobile device browser, making it easy to access passwords no matter where they are.

• Offers extra features: LastPass offers a password generator that helps users create secure passwords and an online form filler that saves time.

• Has two-factor authentication: Users can set LastPass to require them to insert a flash drive in addition to putting in a password to unlock the software.

• May be too easy to access: Anyone with an Internet connection can access a LastPass account if two-factor authentication isn’t set up and they have the password.

• Additional features: LastPass offers a premium account option, which requires users to pay more to access advanced customer service tools such as screen shares.

• Best for: Small business owners, CEOs and executives

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs Research Team

LastPass questions and answers

What problem is LastPass trying to solve?
LastPass is a password manager that helps millions around the world solve their password security problems. By remembering your passwords, generating strong passwords, and autofilling your web forms and logins, LastPass makes it easier and safer to get things done online.
What sets LastPass apart from the competition?
You can access and use LastPass from every device you use, at any time, including any Windows, Mac, or Linux computer using Chrome, Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, or Opera browsers. With our Premium service for $12 per year, download our apps for Android, iOS, BlackBerry and more for convenient on-the-go access to your important information.

Our architecture is also unique, because LastPass never knows your master password. Your data is encrypted locally on your device, so everything that is synced to LastPass is encrypted, and LastPass never has that encryption key, ensuring your data remains accessible to you and only you.
What needs does your product fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
LastPass makes online life more efficient and more secure. It fills the need to remember all your passwords and enter those passwords daily as you login to your online accounts. LastPass instantly fills out any online form as you register for new services or complete online purchases, saving you from having to waste time typing in the same personal information over and over. LastPass is an essential tool for managing your passwords and online accounts.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about LastPass?
LastPass never has the key to your LastPass account. Because only you know your master password, and because data is encrypted locally on your machine (and not after syncing to LastPass), your sensitive data remains secure and accessible to only you. LastPass is a "zero-knowledge" cloud service.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about LastPass?
Password managers are for everyone! Everyone who goes online can benefit from a password manager to help them remember their logins and generate unique, strong passwords just like the cyber security professionals recommend.
Has your business received any rewards or recognition for its products or services that your customers would like to know about?
LastPass has received multiple PC Mag Editors' Choice awards since 2009, and was named one of TIME's Top 50 Sites of 2012.

LastPass Company Information