Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.37/5

LastPass is a secure password manager. You can use LastPass to store all of your usernames and their matching passwords in one place. The program can be used with any device by using a mobile app or the browser extension. LastPass autofills your username and password anytime you need to log into a site.

BOTTOM LINE

LastPass is a secure password manager that lets you store all your login information. There are free and premium plans for individuals, families and businesses. It’s available on your browser and mobile device.

PROS

• Browser extension and mobile app
  • Affordable premium plans
  • Free plan available
  • Store unlimited passwords

CONS

• 2015 data breach
  • Reports of slow customer service

Top LastPass Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about LastPass?

… with LastPass, I'm not afraid to have an online life anymore. It's easy to use and gives almost instant alerts whenever my email or bank account is opened in any device other than my cellphone or laptop. It makes me feel secure and unexposed. I have told family and friends about it.

… I've used LastPass for years. Never had an issue. Plus, when I can't be creative enough to make my own password I love that LastPass can generate one for me. And with just one password to remember I can log on from any of my devices. :-) Even when away from home.

What is LastPass?

LastPass is a password manager that uses multifactor security to ensure your information is safe. It always requires email verification when you first log in on a new device, but there are also enhanced options.

Members using LastPass Free can use an authenticator app that generates a new code every 30 seconds as added protection. The LastPass Authenticator app lets you approve or deny a login through a push notification.

Premium users have options beyond two-factor authentication, including hardware keys and biometric authentication. All your passwords, notes and other items are stored in the LastPass web vault.

When talking about LastPass security, it is important to note that the company had a data breach in 2015. While that can be a scary prospect, there was no customer data compromised in that breach, and the company was forthcoming about the event. The company has not experienced a breach since then.

How LastPass works

The LastPass app and browser extension protects your information no matter what device you’re using. Signing up for an account requires choosing a master password. As with all passwords, make sure it’s something you won’t forget but that’s difficult for others to guess. Once signed up, you have a vault where you can find saved items within your free 50 MB or premium 1 GB encrypted storage.

Both the app and browser extension offer a password and username generator to strengthen your security and an autofill feature to save time. The browser extension works with Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera and Internet Explorer, and the app works with iPhone and Android phones.

LastPass does not see or store your information. Instead, the company puts your master password through a rigorous encryption process. LastPass then uses the encrypted password to create an authentication key that is matched against the server when you try to log in.

Ultimately, LastPass doesn’t see your password because it doesn’t go beyond your computer. This encryption level, plus the multifactor authentication offered in premium accounts, ensures that your information is as safe as possible.

LastPass plans

LastPass offers free, premium, family and business plans. Free and premium accounts allow for one user, while the family account allows for six users. Other benefits of premium and family include one-to-many sharing, dark web monitoring, advanced multifactor options and more.

LastPass’ business plans include:

• MFA (multifactor authentication)
    • Teams (secure password management)
    • Enterprise (secure single sign-on)
    • Identity (combines MFA and Enterprise packages)

LastPass pricing

LastPass pricing varies based on what features you want with your account. Many users are satisfied with LastPass Free, though there are benefits to the paid accounts as well. At the time of publication, paid accounts are billed annually and cost:

• Premium: $3 a month
    • Family: $4 a month

If you’re considering LastPass for business, you need to know your team size and how thorough you want your security to be. Business plans are also billed annually and cost:

• MFA: $3 for each user per month
    • Teams: $4 for each user per month (50-user cap)
    • Enterprise: for each user per month (unlimited user cap)
    • Identity: $8 for each user per month

LastPass FAQ

Who owns LastPass?
    LogMeIn Inc. owns LastPass. The company acquired LastPass in 2015.
    What is the difference between LastPass Free and LastPass Premium?
    LastPass Premium gives users access to tech support, multifactor authentication options, 1 GB of encrypted file storage, dark web monitoring and more.
    Is LastPass a good idea?
    LastPass is a secure way to manage all of your passwords. If you’re a person who has several passwords for various sites and accounts, LastPass is a good way to keep track of them all securely.
    Does LastPass have a limit?
    LastPass does not have a password limit for any level. LastPass Free and Premium only allow one user, though Premium allows one-to-many sharing.

Is LastPass safe?

Overall, LastPass is a safe option for your password management. The company offers multiple plans to fit different needs, and its free option is often robust enough for most users. If you’re concerned about online security or having your accounts hacked, checking out LastPass for enhanced protection is a good idea.

LastPass Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LastPass?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

A Microsoft update affected my log ins including my Master Password for LastPass. After trying for days to get into the program and/or reset my password I put in a support ticket. I received automated instructions to reset it such as use your pin code or phone number for a SMS code. Unfortunately, I didn't set those up as I was never required to. The company would do nothing to help and at that point I was told, again by an automated message, that if I didn't set those up, I would have to delete and start over re-entering all my passwords. Now, would I need LastPass if I could remember all the passwords? Of course not. I am confused as to why such a deal breaker isn't built into the set up process. If you can lose everything without a pin and cell phone number why would any service allow you to bypass those contingencies?

I assumed they would send me a temporary password in such situations as every-other-such-service DOES. Nope that might look like caring and they do not do that. Subsequent emails with, I assume, a person - no one in tech seems to know how to use a phone- reinforced their indifference to my plight. "Delete and start over." I did finally get a password to work. So now I WILL start over- with a different service, any service. Even if it's a two cans and a string system. Funny thing is, I was about to pay for pro. Logmein used to be a trailblazing company and watching to see what they were doing next was a thing all people using computers often did. Now they are just sad and self-indulgent. I can't imagine what they are thinking treating their bread and butter end users this way. PMD

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

LastPass gave no help after I lost all my passwords. The only way to contact is through email. The instructions through the email to retrieve my password were unclear. I asked a geek control friend to help me to explain to me. He went through LastPass steps, put in a password, wrote it down. LastPass went to next step after excepting new password. When we tried to get in using the new password We Could Not. I emailed for help. LastPass response was, "We do not give phone support to customer. Only to administrator/business accounts." I was emailed that I could delete my old account and get a paid account. The ironic thing is LastPass has No Live Support for general paid accounts.

Get buying tips about Password Manager delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 10, 2020

I downloaded the free version (7 day trial) and installed it on my iPhone 6S and the extension in Chrome on my desktop. It all seemed good, and I liked how smooth exporting my Chrome passwords over to Lastpass went. Later that day I changed one of my passwords, and noted that Lastpass picked it up, but, my Chrome password manager did not. I checked other PCs on my cloud, and, of course they did not either. I found no way to make the system update both Lastpass and Chrome passwords simultaneously. I noticed that Lastpass relies mostly on canned Q&A. That, along with the review comments herein, told me not to go with them. Their set up may be perfectly acceptable to others, but I would like my Chrome Password Manager to keep working also, just in case.

Original review: April 1, 2020

I cleared all my cache and cookies on my browser and when I came back on I had to re-enter LastPass username/password to log in again. Fair enough, makes sense. But upon entering the correct email and password, it prompted me to "send me a verification code" via their authentication app. I got NOTHING. I clicked on "send SMS" and got absolutely nothing on my phone despite clicking 20 times and waiting an hour. Yes, that was the exact same phone number I entered into the system when signing up.

I finally found a way to disable this authentication but when I followed the link, it says "sorry, you can't disable authentication via email" - what is the point of even presenting that option then if you can't do it over email... ? Why tell people "click here to disable authentication via email" if it's not allowed? So the entire system is flawed. I can't log in because all my passwords are stored here and it will take a long time going through and resetting passwords for all my 200 websites.

The whole system doesn't make sense. The "SMS code" isn't being sent to the number on file, the authentication doesn't work, they provide an email authentication system that ... apparently also doesn't work. Super disappointed and now have to wait a few days to a week for a response before I can get everything working again.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

I have been using Lastpass on my computer with relatively few problems but I cannot use their two factor authentication because their push notification Is sent to a phone number which I no longer use. I have tried over and over again to get them to respond to my request to change the number but their customer service/support procedures are the worst that I've ever come across. Now I have to go through the inconvenience of changing to another provider but first I would like to warn anyone To beware of Lastpass and all the potential problems which you may face. I would also be great anyone could suggest another service to which I can switch.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

They are forcing customers to install things, register, accept things that I don't want to. Weird bugs are occurring, it's not user friendly and it seems like some junior developers worked on this service. I would honestly never leave my passwords to this cheesy service.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

We have finally ditched LastPass and will never go back. Their service is deplorable. I was all excited to introduce their password service to my wife and boy was that a mistake. After months of trying to get her to be a member it never happened. I paid them for the family plan and since I am a very busy person, every once in a while I would try to get her account setup. Each time we tried there was a problem with her password. The irony is that they are supposed to be experts with passwords.

I reached out to their customer service and we went back and forth for months because I did not have the time to deal with this on a regular basis. They finally added her email as a member but she could never log in because it was like she was stuck in a loop. They would try to reset her password but she could never log in because they could not verify her. It kept asking for her password which she could never get to work. It got to the point that I had to curse at their support which must be overseas for my money back. They refused to give our money back even after I said that I would write a truthful review of our experience all over the web. The bright side of this is that I found a better service called Dashlane. It is way more user-friendly and advanced. Goodbye LastPass forever!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

My wife purchased LastPass and followed the instructions but then the software didn't work as expected. She read the FAQs and also watched videos but that didn't help. Then we tried to call customer service and just got a recording to look at the website. We also sent an email request for help. No luck there either. Do not purchase this product!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

My 6th website I've searched out to tell people to RUN FROM LASTPASS! It is the BIGGEST POS I've ever tried to use. Fills in 1 in 20 forms.... Must sign in at least 3 times on Android and then it more often than not won't fill anything in. Don't give me permissions crap excuses, I'm in IT and know what I'm doing. Also, the UI switch last spring SCREWED even more the usability. You can't freaking find anything and the extension takes up 10 inches of a drop down. You allow your access to 2 of your passwords for that site. As an IT person who manages many many sites with multiple logins...this just SUCKS! Desperately trying to move over 1000 passwords to another service.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2019

If you have a problem with LastPass - and you will at some point, there is NO customer support - literally NONE. They have a robot that cannot understand even the MOST BASIC question. Any attempt to solve a problem puts you in a circular loop of uselessness. I have used it and my family members. Several times someone has had to delete. Start all over (which means crating a new email account - for starters). Then there are hours of putting in all accounts and passwords - again.

LastPass Company Information