3.7/5 (141 ratings)

About LastPass

LastPass is a secure password manager. You can use LastPass to store all of your usernames and their matching passwords in one place. The program can be used with any device by using a mobile app or the browser extension. LastPass autofills your username and password anytime you need to log into a site.

Pros

• Browser extension and mobile app
  • Affordable premium plans
  • Free plan available
  • Store unlimited passwords

Cons

• 2015 data breach
  • Reports of slow customer service

Bottom Line

LastPass is a secure password manager that lets you store all your login information. There are free and premium plans for individuals, families and businesses. It’s available on your browser and mobile device.

Top LastPass Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

… with LastPass, I'm not afraid to have an online life anymore. It's easy to use and gives almost instant alerts whenever my email or bank account is opened in any device other th...

Verified

… I've used LastPass for years. Never had an issue. Plus, when I can't be creative enough to make my own password I love that LastPass can generate one for me. And with just one p...

What is LastPass?

LastPass is a password manager that uses multifactor security to ensure your information is safe. It always requires email verification when you first log in on a new device, but there are also enhanced options.

Members using LastPass Free can use an authenticator app that generates a new code every 30 seconds as added protection. The LastPass Authenticator app lets you approve or deny a login through a push notification.

Premium users have options beyond two-factor authentication, including hardware keys and biometric authentication. All your passwords, notes and other items are stored in the LastPass web vault.

When talking about LastPass security, it is important to note that the company had a data breach in 2015. While that can be a scary prospect, there was no customer data compromised in that breach, and the company was forthcoming about the event. The company has not experienced a breach since then.

How does LastPass work?

The LastPass app and browser extension protects your information no matter what device you’re using. Signing up for an account requires choosing a master password. As with all passwords, make sure it’s something you won’t forget but that’s difficult for others to guess. Once signed up, you have a vault where you can find saved items within your free 50 MB or premium 1 GB encrypted storage.

Both the app and browser extension offer a password and username generator to strengthen your security and an autofill feature to save time. The browser extension works with Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera and Internet Explorer, and the app works with iPhone and Android phones.

LastPass does not see or store your information. Instead, the company puts your master password through a rigorous encryption process. LastPass then uses the encrypted password to create an authentication key that is matched against the server when you try to log in.

Ultimately, LastPass doesn’t see your password because it doesn’t go beyond your computer. This encryption level, plus the multifactor authentication offered in premium accounts, ensures that your information is as safe as possible.

LastPass plans

LastPass offers free, premium, family and business plans. Free and premium accounts allow for one user, while the family account allows for six users. Other benefits of premium and family include one-to-many sharing, dark web monitoring, advanced multifactor options and more.

LastPass’ business plans include:

• MFA (multifactor authentication)
  • Teams (secure password management)
  • Enterprise (secure single sign-on)
  • Identity (combines MFA and Enterprise packages)

LastPass pricing

LastPass pricing varies based on what features you want with your account. Many users are satisfied with LastPass Free, though there are benefits to the paid accounts as well. At the time of publication, paid accounts are billed annually and cost:

• Premium: $3 a month
  • Family: $4 a month

If you’re considering LastPass for business, you need to know your team size and how thorough you want your security to be. Business plans are also billed annually and cost:

• MFA: $3 for each user per month
  • Teams: $4 for each user per month (50-user cap)
  • Enterprise: for each user per month (unlimited user cap)
  • Identity: $8 for each user per month

LastPass FAQ

Who owns LastPass?
LogMeIn Inc. owns LastPass. The company acquired LastPass in 2015.
What is the difference between LastPass Free and LastPass Premium?
LastPass Premium gives users access to tech support, multifactor authentication options, 1 GB of encrypted file storage, dark web monitoring and more.
Is LastPass a good idea?
LastPass is a secure way to manage all of your passwords. If you’re a person who has several passwords for various sites and accounts, LastPass is a good way to keep track of them all securely.
Does LastPass have a limit?
LastPass does not have a password limit for any level. LastPass Free and Premium only allow one user, though Premium allows one-to-many sharing.

Is LastPass safe?

Overall, LastPass is a safe option for your password management. The company offers multiple plans to fit different needs, and its free option is often robust enough for most users. If you’re concerned about online security or having your accounts hacked, checking out LastPass for enhanced protection is a good idea.

LastPass Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LastPass?

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

LastPass lacks any kind of support. Since switching over to a paid customer as a Premium User, I cannot believe I am being treated this way. How many emails does it take for the customer service representative to take my issue seriously? The emails I get from LogMeIn keep requesting the same action: To re-install the LastPass Chrome Extensions in order to fix my login issue. THAT'S IT. They never follow up and never get a response to any of my replied emails. I have opened three cases for the same issue, but no one is following through. As a paid single user, I still cannot use LastPass. If there are no responses, then I like my money back. It's too late to do a reversal on my credit card, but I am so frustrated for not being able to do anything.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

I had a great experience with Lastpass in the beginning, and then after buying premium had nothing but problems. I would be on an endless loop of logging in and out of the platform even after clearing my cache. I had bought user licenses as well and they had the same problem. I would be stuck on pages loading for minutes and updated passwords would not sync to other users without me deleting it. I had gone to support a few times and my issue was not resolved. Unfortunately on a year long subscription. Sadly ended up buying a different product even so.

Get buying tips about Password Manager delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 30, 2021

I chose this software as it was highly rated in a magazine. I used it for the trial period and everything went great. I saved several passwords using it. Then I updated to the premier service, but after the free trial expired so I lost all the passwords that were saved. Now that I am on premier, my password does not work. I tried to change it but I received a message that it didn't work so I needed to use another browser to reset the account. I tried on two different browsers and still cannot access my account. The real nightmare is that there is no customer service to call, so no one to talk or write to so I don't get automatically get recharged for a service that does not work and I have no access to! Caveat emptor!!!

Original review: June 8, 2021

I have had Lastpass just about two year. Then I purchased the family plan to be my Wife over. She is using Password Boss. We can only export passwords as a JSON file. Be texting back and forth with LastPass. The support is lacking. Third time asking the same question. I got an email saying they were going to close the ticket. Keep in mind that they never gave me a response. When they finally respond their suggestion was to send my pass list to a third party to have them convert it. Who knows what would happen with my passwords or Identity. Smart a strong suggestion.

Original review: May 25, 2021

I'm a premium account holder. I was lured into paying for the family plan with the understanding that the fee I'd already paid would be applied to the new plan. Instead, I was charged the full price of the family plan, on top of what I'd paid. And to make matters worse, I have no access to the family plan I've paid for. There is no contact number for help or support. After emailing support, I submitted the proofs of payment they asked for. Since then, there's been no reply to the many followup emails I've sent.

The product itself is ok but finicky. I often find myself having to copy/paste passwords for sites/apps that autofill has trouble with, which kinda defeats the purpose. If I hadn't already setup accounts for my siblings and parents, who live in other states/countries, I would've already replaced this product with another password manager. This product is definitely not worth the headache.

Original review: April 2, 2021

I've been using LastPass for a few months on my laptop and iphone and it worked fine for me. Though sometimes it was stupid and couldn't detect when I created a new account on a website and wouldn't save the information (prompt me with a pop up to save it) so I would have to manually save it myself. This lead to a number of irritating situations where I generated some random password just for LastPass to not save that password for the account and of course I didn't memorize or remember it to save it so I'd have to immediately do "forgot password" and reset it again. I just got into the habit of copying newly generated passwords because that continued to happen from time to time.

But once I updated my phone's app today to learn that I could no longer sync between devices I was like, well what's the point? I'm not paying $37/year for something that can be done for free by countless other apps or even Apple keychain. I wasn't using any of the other 'fancy' features, literally just storing passwords and that's it. I switched to Bitwarden instead so we'll see how that does! At least exporting and importing passwords is super easy so it was a quick switch.

Original review: March 25, 2021

Terrible experience moving to LastPass Premium. The moment I paid, my passwords disappeared from the mobile app resulting in a very stressful morning. Their support has been slow and lackluster. Looking at other options for storing my info now.

Original review: March 20, 2021

Incredibly disappointed with the change to their service forcing users to pay or choose desktop/mobile. I've been using this app for 5+ years, and this will be my last. I originally chose this software because Google Password Manager was lagging behind feature wise, and LastPass was ahead of the game technically and flexibility wise. Now that Google has caught up, I will be using the mobile app to gradually transfer all my passwords before closing my account, thus giving me an opportunity to clean up the years of accumulated garbage that LastPass has offered little tooling to help manage. Their software has recieved minimal updates over the years, and I've encountered a variety of subtle but very irritating issues around both the web and mobile apps. As a developer myself, I find this to be an insult to software as a service. Good luck with it...

Original review: March 17, 2021

Literally making a consumeraffairs account just to vent against the greedy idiots in ownership/directorship/management at LastPass. They gather your passwords and hold them for free then create a paywall to force you to keep using the service. Scummy, but OK; I paid the ransom because exporting is a pain and they'd been a largely fine service. And... My Microsoft Edge browser still isn't recognizing my lastpass premium service despite the logout/login. I paid the ransom. Hostages still not released, but stuck on my phone. Definitely switching ASAP. Good thing you billed yearly for monthly service, Lastpass! Maybe you'll survive as a company to 2023... ;-)

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

We had been long-time, happy and satisfied users of LastPass for several years. Then last week, we got an email from LastPass, kind of bluntly stating that the free service we’ve been using would be pretty severely limited starting in about a month, so maybe we would want to “upgrade” and PAY to get what seems like a slightly LOWER level of service. I guess the time had come when LastPass needed to get us free users to start paying. Kind of annoying.

Well, if we’re going to have to pay for our password management software, it seemed sensible to us to check out what other companies were offering, something we never even THOUGHT about before. Within a few minutes, I found Keeper. Costs pretty much the same as the 25% OFF LastPass was offering. Recommended ABOVE LastPass by PC MAG.

Keeper had a chat widget right there on their home page (not easy to find on LastPass). So I clicked in, and got a nearly immediate response. I asked, “Why should I choose Keeper instead of sticking with LastPass?” I got an IMMEDIATE and kind of compelling response. This rep knew exactly what his company was offering, and he seemed to know exactly what LastPass was offering. I asked whether Keeper would make switching over easy. I got an IMMEDIATE RESPONSE with a link to a video that showed just how easy it would be. At this point I was pretty convinced to switch, especially considering the slightly disrespectful way LastPass announced these changes.

But I thought it would only be fair to listen to the LastPass sales pitch. So I went to the LastPass website, logged in, and after a good bit of searching, I found a link to chat. What an unmitigated fiasco!! After waiting a long time to get a rep online, I asked this simple question (many times in many ways): Apparently, I’m going to pay someone for this service. Why should it be LastPass instead of Keeper? In a chat conversation that lasted more than an hour, I never got ANY answer to that question. Every response took SEVERAL MINUTES and I never got any closer to an answer.

I did get this: “Unfortunately we do not have knowledge about terms and conditions from Keeper to address them here. Feel free to visit their website to check difference on products.” Do you really want your reps to recommend this? The Keeper rep WAS knowledgeable about LastPass. Of course, I might forgive the LastPass rep for not knowing about Keeper, but she also didn’t tell me ANYTHING about LastPass, not a SINGLE feature that would be added when I started paying for the service. Even the ONE webpage she sent me was about the many features of the free version of LastPass that I’m going to LOSE on March 16, and the additional features they're going to take away on May 17.

REALLY?? Your upselling move made me check out the other guy. Then, in an effort to be fair and smart, I contacted your company in the only way you make available. I asked your representative to give me ANY kind of sales pitch to get me to buy this service from you instead of the other guy. You gave me NOTHING!! You rewarded my fairness with time-wasting incompetence. How is your strategy going to avoid moving a BUNCH of your free accounts over to the competition?? Finally, the rep promised me they would escalate this case, and I would get an EMAIL someday from a supervisor. Do you think I’ll get that email before I’m done switching to another provider? Sad.

LastPass Company Information