Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.35/5

LastPass is a secure password manager. You can use LastPass to store all of your usernames and their matching passwords in one place. The program can be used with any device by using a mobile app or the browser extension. LastPass autofills your username and password anytime you need to log into a site.

BOTTOM LINE

LastPass is a secure password manager that lets you store all your login information. There are free and premium plans for individuals, families and businesses. It’s available on your browser and mobile device.

PROS

• Browser extension and mobile app
  • Affordable premium plans
  • Free plan available
  • Store unlimited passwords

CONS

• 2015 data breach
  • Reports of slow customer service

Top LastPass Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about LastPass?

… with LastPass, I'm not afraid to have an online life anymore. It's easy to use and gives almost instant alerts whenever my email or bank account is opened in any device other than my cellphone or laptop. It makes me feel secure and unexposed. I have told family and friends about it.

… I've used LastPass for years. Never had an issue. Plus, when I can't be creative enough to make my own password I love that LastPass can generate one for me. And with just one password to remember I can log on from any of my devices. :-) Even when away from home.

What is LastPass?

LastPass is a password manager that uses multifactor security to ensure your information is safe. It always requires email verification when you first log in on a new device, but there are also enhanced options.

Members using LastPass Free can use an authenticator app that generates a new code every 30 seconds as added protection. The LastPass Authenticator app lets you approve or deny a login through a push notification.

Premium users have options beyond two-factor authentication, including hardware keys and biometric authentication. All your passwords, notes and other items are stored in the LastPass web vault.

When talking about LastPass security, it is important to note that the company had a data breach in 2015. While that can be a scary prospect, there was no customer data compromised in that breach, and the company was forthcoming about the event. The company has not experienced a breach since then.

How does LastPass work?

The LastPass app and browser extension protects your information no matter what device you’re using. Signing up for an account requires choosing a master password. As with all passwords, make sure it’s something you won’t forget but that’s difficult for others to guess. Once signed up, you have a vault where you can find saved items within your free 50 MB or premium 1 GB encrypted storage.

Both the app and browser extension offer a password and username generator to strengthen your security and an autofill feature to save time. The browser extension works with Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera and Internet Explorer, and the app works with iPhone and Android phones.

LastPass does not see or store your information. Instead, the company puts your master password through a rigorous encryption process. LastPass then uses the encrypted password to create an authentication key that is matched against the server when you try to log in.

Ultimately, LastPass doesn’t see your password because it doesn’t go beyond your computer. This encryption level, plus the multifactor authentication offered in premium accounts, ensures that your information is as safe as possible.

LastPass plans

LastPass offers free, premium, family and business plans. Free and premium accounts allow for one user, while the family account allows for six users. Other benefits of premium and family include one-to-many sharing, dark web monitoring, advanced multifactor options and more.

LastPass’ business plans include:

• MFA (multifactor authentication)
    • Teams (secure password management)
    • Enterprise (secure single sign-on)
    • Identity (combines MFA and Enterprise packages)

LastPass pricing

LastPass pricing varies based on what features you want with your account. Many users are satisfied with LastPass Free, though there are benefits to the paid accounts as well. At the time of publication, paid accounts are billed annually and cost:

• Premium: $3 a month
    • Family: $4 a month

If you’re considering LastPass for business, you need to know your team size and how thorough you want your security to be. Business plans are also billed annually and cost:

• MFA: $3 for each user per month
    • Teams: $4 for each user per month (50-user cap)
    • Enterprise: for each user per month (unlimited user cap)
    • Identity: $8 for each user per month

LastPass FAQ

Who owns LastPass?
    LogMeIn Inc. owns LastPass. The company acquired LastPass in 2015.
    What is the difference between LastPass Free and LastPass Premium?
    LastPass Premium gives users access to tech support, multifactor authentication options, 1 GB of encrypted file storage, dark web monitoring and more.
    Is LastPass a good idea?
    LastPass is a secure way to manage all of your passwords. If you’re a person who has several passwords for various sites and accounts, LastPass is a good way to keep track of them all securely.
    Does LastPass have a limit?
    LastPass does not have a password limit for any level. LastPass Free and Premium only allow one user, though Premium allows one-to-many sharing.

Is LastPass safe?

Overall, LastPass is a safe option for your password management. The company offers multiple plans to fit different needs, and its free option is often robust enough for most users. If you’re concerned about online security or having your accounts hacked, checking out LastPass for enhanced protection is a good idea.

LastPass Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LastPass?

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

We had been long-time, happy and satisfied users of LastPass for several years. Then last week, we got an email from LastPass, kind of bluntly stating that the free service we’ve been using would be pretty severely limited starting in about a month, so maybe we would want to “upgrade” and PAY to get what seems like a slightly LOWER level of service. I guess the time had come when LastPass needed to get us free users to start paying. Kind of annoying.

Well, if we’re going to have to pay for our password management software, it seemed sensible to us to check out what other companies were offering, something we never even THOUGHT about before. Within a few minutes, I found Keeper. Costs pretty much the same as the 25% OFF LastPass was offering. Recommended ABOVE LastPass by PC MAG.

Keeper had a chat widget right there on their home page (not easy to find on LastPass). So I clicked in, and got a nearly immediate response. I asked, “Why should I choose Keeper instead of sticking with LastPass?” I got an IMMEDIATE and kind of compelling response. This rep knew exactly what his company was offering, and he seemed to know exactly what LastPass was offering. I asked whether Keeper would make switching over easy. I got an IMMEDIATE RESPONSE with a link to a video that showed just how easy it would be. At this point I was pretty convinced to switch, especially considering the slightly disrespectful way LastPass announced these changes.

But I thought it would only be fair to listen to the LastPass sales pitch. So I went to the LastPass website, logged in, and after a good bit of searching, I found a link to chat. What an unmitigated fiasco!! After waiting a long time to get a rep online, I asked this simple question (many times in many ways): Apparently, I’m going to pay someone for this service. Why should it be LastPass instead of Keeper? In a chat conversation that lasted more than an hour, I never got ANY answer to that question. Every response took SEVERAL MINUTES and I never got any closer to an answer.

I did get this: “Unfortunately we do not have knowledge about terms and conditions from Keeper to address them here. Feel free to visit their website to check difference on products.” Do you really want your reps to recommend this? The Keeper rep WAS knowledgeable about LastPass. Of course, I might forgive the LastPass rep for not knowing about Keeper, but she also didn’t tell me ANYTHING about LastPass, not a SINGLE feature that would be added when I started paying for the service. Even the ONE webpage she sent me was about the many features of the free version of LastPass that I’m going to LOSE on March 16, and the additional features they're going to take away on May 17.

REALLY?? Your upselling move made me check out the other guy. Then, in an effort to be fair and smart, I contacted your company in the only way you make available. I asked your representative to give me ANY kind of sales pitch to get me to buy this service from you instead of the other guy. You gave me NOTHING!! You rewarded my fairness with time-wasting incompetence. How is your strategy going to avoid moving a BUNCH of your free accounts over to the competition?? Finally, the rep promised me they would escalate this case, and I would get an EMAIL someday from a supervisor. Do you think I’ll get that email before I’m done switching to another provider? Sad.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

The first technical support response to a premium customer would be copying and pasting some general information from their user manual that is not related to the issues, and it usually takes the technical support team a very long time to get back with you. The urgent requests are mostly ignored, and very much you will be on your own once you become a “premium” customer. While LP is a great toy to play with and customize, it’s 99.9% of the time a self-service product. After using the product for 9 years, due to the reliability and accountability challenges that I have been experiencing with the support team to recover my lost passwords, not having a restore capability that the similar products are offering, I’m moving my passwords somewhere else.

Get buying tips about Password Manager delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2020

Absolutely terrible when making updates. Never works and sends emails to wrong person. Unable to complete simple updates. Tried this app twice in the pass and same issues. Tried updating email address 8 times and had to delete app. You can't recover your info if you forget anything yet when you delete your account it will send it to a wrong email address. Real Secure Right?

Original review: Dec. 16, 2020

I had been a Premium user for many years and did not experience any real issues until this year. I had to contact support twice. The first time took several days and the problem seemingly resolved itself. Currently I am 3 weeks and counting on trying to access my account as I can only login to the app and not the web or Chrome extension. There is usually 2 to 3 days between replies where I am asked to do several things that have not helped. I included a video of the exact issue and it is pretty clear there is an issue on their end of things but no one has committed to fixing this or escalating the issue. It shouldn't take this long to fix in my opinion.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

I contacted them and sent a screenshot with the following message: "I just tried to purchase the premium and get the Cyberweek discount, but it's not working." Their suggestion didn't work, "Please try to purchase LastPass Premium on discounted rate using different browsers and check if it is working fine." When I mentioned that, they told me that since the deal was now over, that I needed to pay full price, "I am very sorry to inform you that Cyberweek offer is not available anymore. We will notify you if there is any Offer is availabe in the future. You can refer LastPass current price in the below link." I asked why I needed to pay full price now when I mentioned the issue during the sale, and they still expect people to pay the regular price after they acknowledged having an issue. I'll be looking at alternatives.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2020

We have been using LastPass premium plan for a little while now and the whole point of us taking that subscription is because we have believed it would allow us to send access to different websites to different people without having to reveal the passwords to those people. Thus, helping with our security. Well for the last two days, almost three, it has been apparent that LastPass is revealing passwords to users even when we have specifically chosen not to allow those users to see the password. When the user goes to enter those details, launching the website through the LastPass Vault, it takes them to the website and they can click on a little eye and it will reveal the password that is underlined which is TERRIBLE.

Clearly, the entire opposite of what we are trying to achieve by having paid for a version of LastPass to keep passwords secure. I do not understand what is going on with LastPass. I emailed them, they responded once. I emailed again, NOTHING. I am appalled at this major security breach. There are people out there now who have access to all of our passwords. It has taken us considerable amount of time to go and try to rectify and change passwords but there's no point because now they can see the new passwords. MAJOR SECURITY BREACH. Absolutely DISGUSTED with LastPass and lack of response. The VIDEO will show one of our users and the fact that she can visibly see the password, LastPass needs to get its act together. **

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

A Microsoft update affected my log ins including my Master Password for LastPass. After trying for days to get into the program and/or reset my password I put in a support ticket. I received automated instructions to reset it such as use your pin code or phone number for a SMS code. Unfortunately, I didn't set those up as I was never required to. The company would do nothing to help and at that point I was told, again by an automated message, that if I didn't set those up, I would have to delete and start over re-entering all my passwords. Now, would I need LastPass if I could remember all the passwords? Of course not. I am confused as to why such a deal breaker isn't built into the set up process. If you can lose everything without a pin and cell phone number why would any service allow you to bypass those contingencies?

I assumed they would send me a temporary password in such situations as every-other-such-service DOES. Nope that might look like caring and they do not do that. Subsequent emails with, I assume, a person - no one in tech seems to know how to use a phone- reinforced their indifference to my plight. "Delete and start over." I did finally get a password to work. So now I WILL start over- with a different service, any service. Even if it's a two cans and a string system. Funny thing is, I was about to pay for pro. Logmein used to be a trailblazing company and watching to see what they were doing next was a thing all people using computers often did. Now they are just sad and self-indulgent. I can't imagine what they are thinking treating their bread and butter end users this way. PMD

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

LastPass gave no help after I lost all my passwords. The only way to contact is through email. The instructions through the email to retrieve my password were unclear. I asked a geek control friend to help me to explain to me. He went through LastPass steps, put in a password, wrote it down. LastPass went to next step after excepting new password. When we tried to get in using the new password We Could Not. I emailed for help. LastPass response was, "We do not give phone support to customer. Only to administrator/business accounts." I was emailed that I could delete my old account and get a paid account. The ironic thing is LastPass has No Live Support for general paid accounts.

Original review: May 10, 2020

I downloaded the free version (7 day trial) and installed it on my iPhone 6S and the extension in Chrome on my desktop. It all seemed good, and I liked how smooth exporting my Chrome passwords over to Lastpass went. Later that day I changed one of my passwords, and noted that Lastpass picked it up, but, my Chrome password manager did not. I checked other PCs on my cloud, and, of course they did not either. I found no way to make the system update both Lastpass and Chrome passwords simultaneously. I noticed that Lastpass relies mostly on canned Q&A. That, along with the review comments herein, told me not to go with them. Their set up may be perfectly acceptable to others, but I would like my Chrome Password Manager to keep working also, just in case.

Original review: April 1, 2020

I cleared all my cache and cookies on my browser and when I came back on I had to re-enter LastPass username/password to log in again. Fair enough, makes sense. But upon entering the correct email and password, it prompted me to "send me a verification code" via their authentication app. I got NOTHING. I clicked on "send SMS" and got absolutely nothing on my phone despite clicking 20 times and waiting an hour. Yes, that was the exact same phone number I entered into the system when signing up.

I finally found a way to disable this authentication but when I followed the link, it says "sorry, you can't disable authentication via email" - what is the point of even presenting that option then if you can't do it over email... ? Why tell people "click here to disable authentication via email" if it's not allowed? So the entire system is flawed. I can't log in because all my passwords are stored here and it will take a long time going through and resetting passwords for all my 200 websites.

The whole system doesn't make sense. The "SMS code" isn't being sent to the number on file, the authentication doesn't work, they provide an email authentication system that ... apparently also doesn't work. Super disappointed and now have to wait a few days to a week for a response before I can get everything working again.

LastPass Company Information