Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.38/5

LastPass is a standalone password manager compatible with several web browsers. Users can have LastPass on multiple devices and use two-factor authentication to keep passwords secure. LastPass also generates strong passwords and auto-fills login forms. The service is free, but the premium option has advanced tools like screen sharing.

LastPass Reviews

Original review: May 10, 2020

I downloaded the free version (7 day trial) and installed it on my iPhone 6S and the extension in Chrome on my desktop. It all seemed good, and I liked how smooth exporting my Chrome passwords over to Lastpass went. Later that day I changed one of my passwords, and noted that Lastpass picked it up, but, my Chrome password manager did not. I checked other PCs on my cloud, and, of course they did not either. I found no way to make the system update both Lastpass and Chrome passwords simultaneously. I noticed that Lastpass relies mostly on canned Q&A. That, along with the review comments herein, told me not to go with them. Their set up may be perfectly acceptable to others, but I would like my Chrome Password Manager to keep working also, just in case.

Original review: April 1, 2020

I cleared all my cache and cookies on my browser and when I came back on I had to re-enter LastPass username/password to log in again. Fair enough, makes sense. But upon entering the correct email and password, it prompted me to "send me a verification code" via their authentication app. I got NOTHING. I clicked on "send SMS" and got absolutely nothing on my phone despite clicking 20 times and waiting an hour. Yes, that was the exact same phone number I entered into the system when signing up.

I finally found a way to disable this authentication but when I followed the link, it says "sorry, you can't disable authentication via email" - what is the point of even presenting that option then if you can't do it over email... ? Why tell people "click here to disable authentication via email" if it's not allowed? So the entire system is flawed. I can't log in because all my passwords are stored here and it will take a long time going through and resetting passwords for all my 200 websites.

The whole system doesn't make sense. The "SMS code" isn't being sent to the number on file, the authentication doesn't work, they provide an email authentication system that ... apparently also doesn't work. Super disappointed and now have to wait a few days to a week for a response before I can get everything working again.

Get buying tips about Password Manager delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

I have been using Lastpass on my computer with relatively few problems but I cannot use their two factor authentication because their push notification Is sent to a phone number which I no longer use. I have tried over and over again to get them to respond to my request to change the number but their customer service/support procedures are the worst that I've ever come across. Now I have to go through the inconvenience of changing to another provider but first I would like to warn anyone To beware of Lastpass and all the potential problems which you may face. I would also be great anyone could suggest another service to which I can switch.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

They are forcing customers to install things, register, accept things that I don't want to. Weird bugs are occurring, it's not user friendly and it seems like some junior developers worked on this service. I would honestly never leave my passwords to this cheesy service.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

We have finally ditched LastPass and will never go back. Their service is deplorable. I was all excited to introduce their password service to my wife and boy was that a mistake. After months of trying to get her to be a member it never happened. I paid them for the family plan and since I am a very busy person, every once in a while I would try to get her account setup. Each time we tried there was a problem with her password. The irony is that they are supposed to be experts with passwords.

I reached out to their customer service and we went back and forth for months because I did not have the time to deal with this on a regular basis. They finally added her email as a member but she could never log in because it was like she was stuck in a loop. They would try to reset her password but she could never log in because they could not verify her. It kept asking for her password which she could never get to work. It got to the point that I had to curse at their support which must be overseas for my money back. They refused to give our money back even after I said that I would write a truthful review of our experience all over the web. The bright side of this is that I found a better service called Dashlane. It is way more user-friendly and advanced. Goodbye LastPass forever!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LastPass?

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

My wife purchased LastPass and followed the instructions but then the software didn't work as expected. She read the FAQs and also watched videos but that didn't help. Then we tried to call customer service and just got a recording to look at the website. We also sent an email request for help. No luck there either. Do not purchase this product!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

My 6th website I've searched out to tell people to RUN FROM LASTPASS! It is the BIGGEST POS I've ever tried to use. Fills in 1 in 20 forms.... Must sign in at least 3 times on Android and then it more often than not won't fill anything in. Don't give me permissions crap excuses, I'm in IT and know what I'm doing. Also, the UI switch last spring SCREWED even more the usability. You can't freaking find anything and the extension takes up 10 inches of a drop down. You allow your access to 2 of your passwords for that site. As an IT person who manages many many sites with multiple logins...this just SUCKS! Desperately trying to move over 1000 passwords to another service.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2019

If you have a problem with LastPass - and you will at some point, there is NO customer support - literally NONE. They have a robot that cannot understand even the MOST BASIC question. Any attempt to solve a problem puts you in a circular loop of uselessness. I have used it and my family members. Several times someone has had to delete. Start all over (which means crating a new email account - for starters). Then there are hours of putting in all accounts and passwords - again.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

Chaos unneeded - hit and miss. Do not waste your time. It forgets more than it remembers - hit and miss - try signing back in and you are in hell. Autofill almost never autofills. Stay with Google Password Manager - it works minus chaos.

'

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

Used free version for years. Site was fine. Easy to work. Site recommended to change password. I did and could not remember even with hint. Tried all recovery methods. Tried one time password and got - "Login Failed. Invalid username, one-time-password or one-time login is restricted by company policy." Tried by email and got message "failed gateway." Cannot get password. Maybe limited to free option but would not pay in case this happened.

LastPass author review by ConsumerAffairs

LastPass is a standalone password manager that integrates with any web browser so that users can log in even if they use a different browser at home than at work. It is one of the best-known password managers available and has received critical acclaim.

• Works across browsers and platforms: LastPass users can access passwords via any web browser, including their mobile device browser, making it easy to access passwords no matter where they are.

• Offers extra features: LastPass offers a password generator that helps users create secure passwords and an online form filler that saves time.

• Has two-factor authentication: Users can set LastPass to require them to insert a flash drive in addition to putting in a password to unlock the software.

• May be too easy to access: Anyone with an Internet connection can access a LastPass account if two-factor authentication isn’t set up and they have the password.

• Additional features: LastPass offers a premium account option, which requires users to pay more to access advanced customer service tools such as screen shares.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

LastPass questions and answers

What problem is LastPass trying to solve?
      LastPass is a password manager that helps millions around the world solve their password security problems. By remembering your passwords, generating strong passwords, and autofilling your web forms and logins, LastPass makes it easier and safer to get things done online.
      What sets LastPass apart from the competition?
      You can access and use LastPass from every device you use, at any time, including any Windows, Mac, or Linux computer using Chrome, Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, or Opera browsers. With our Premium service for $12 per year, download our apps for Android, iOS, BlackBerry and more for convenient on-the-go access to your important information.

Our architecture is also unique, because LastPass never knows your master password. Your data is encrypted locally on your device, so everything that is synced to LastPass is encrypted, and LastPass never has that encryption key, ensuring your data remains accessible to you and only you.
      What needs does your product fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
      LastPass makes online life more efficient and more secure. It fills the need to remember all your passwords and enter those passwords daily as you login to your online accounts. LastPass instantly fills out any online form as you register for new services or complete online purchases, saving you from having to waste time typing in the same personal information over and over. LastPass is an essential tool for managing your passwords and online accounts.
      What’s the most common misconception consumers have about LastPass?
      LastPass never has the key to your LastPass account. Because only you know your master password, and because data is encrypted locally on your machine (and not after syncing to LastPass), your sensitive data remains secure and accessible to only you. LastPass is a "zero-knowledge" cloud service.
      What is something you wish every consumer knew about LastPass?
      Password managers are for everyone! Everyone who goes online can benefit from a password manager to help them remember their logins and generate unique, strong passwords just like the cyber security professionals recommend.
      Has your business received any rewards or recognition for its products or services that your customers would like to know about?
      LastPass has received multiple PC Mag Editors' Choice awards since 2009, and was named one of TIME's Top 50 Sites of 2012.

LastPass Company Information