3.29/5

96 Dashlane Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 3, 2019

We've been using Dashlane since we first found out about it in 2011. The free version was offered and we opted for the paid version shortly afterward. So far we have 354 different passwords. Why? Because we can. I've become a little more savvy in protecting our online identity and Dashlane fills the bill. It is not perfect and sometimes it will try to interfere when looking at a site that I don't want to log onto. But, small price to pay. I have my password generator set to 20 characters, including symbols where allowed. In the past year, Dashlane rolled out new pricing and added features. Unfortunately I'm forced to pay for a VPN that I do not want and the prices have risen considerably. Welcome to the new world! All in all, I've used Dashlane with only one tech support request and that was handled promptly and successfully.

Original review: April 24, 2019

Granted, it helps to be intelligent before doing this. Don't start a free trial if you didn't think they would ever charge you after. Read what they are saying. Everyone else with low stars simply missed these obvious things. Sometimes there are new permissions required on update so you click the Dashlane icon in Chrome to accept new permissions before it will work again.

I did have some problems. Some pages don't work right and it helps if you can figure out how to report problems. Once I had it generate a new password but when I submitted, it went to a page where the Dashlane prompt came up to ask if I want to save the password then immediately jumped to another page so the prompt disappeared but did not come up again so I could not ever save the new password, and of course it had never told me what it was. I had to say I forgot the password and type my own so I would know what it is and enter it in manually to Dashlane. I'm on a special discount for 3 years pro, so I of course have to remember to cancel it if I don't want to be charged a higher price than what I paid for the renewal. Obviously that's how pretty much every deal works like this.

I need Dashlane for the feature of writing general text files that can be either opened quickly if you are logged in or require the master password to open, and they are all encrypted. I don't think this feature is in the other competitors, not what I've seen. The missing feature is that if I save a password, that entry has no miscellaneous field for example when they also require me to remember secret questions or an extra PIN.

Get expert buying tips about Password Manager delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I've been using Dashlane for about 2 years now and, honestly, I've had one problem that was easily fixed by a fast response via email from their tech support. I'm shocked there are nothing but complaints here. My spouse has never had any problems at all. We're using Win 7 64-bit with really good anti-virus, ad blockers, cookie controls, and Chrome or Firefox. I rely on my own intelligence to create non-simple passwords or allow DL to generate random ones. As far as I know, their servers have never been hacked and my Master Password is not saved anywhere I haven't put it. I feel safe using Dashlane and it's free.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I read the other reviews that expressed frustration regarding Dashlane's slow customer service and was on the verge of requesting cancelation of my Dashlane premium account, but finally, after a week of slow customer service communication and inadequate help Dashlane resolved my problem. So my suggestion to other's experiencing problems with Dashlane is to hang in there. In the end the solution was not complicated and the instructions they sent me were easy to follow. I needed to remove the version of Dashlane that I downloaded from the Mac app store and install the newer version of Dashlane directly from their site.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

I've been using LastPass for years... maybe 8 years now. I think. In any case LastPass worked for me despite its quirks. Then the 2015 hack of LastPass happened which gave me pause. Then they updated their front ends in 2017 which then caused all sorts of headaches. I had enough and started looking for another password manager.

I have been using Dashlane for the past month and it's been a breath of fresh air. Yes it doesn't work on all websites, (LastPass didn't either) but it's easy enough to pull up the app (on my OS X machine) and search for my password. Easier and faster than LastPass. On my Note 8, it doesn't work with the Samsung browser, but again, it's easy enough for me to swipe to the app, find my password, copy and swipe right back. Although I wish it integrated better with the Samsung browser, it works well enough. In any case I give this 4 stars as the product has worked well for me so far. I realize there is no phone number for customer support but that's fine. I don't like calling and wasting time being on hold anyway. Email support is preferred.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dashlane ?

Original review: July 19, 2019

Avoid at all costs. Two years ago when I first became a customer this was a good service. Now the Android app fails to sync. Windows app crashes constantly, fails to sync, won't even open on any of my machines when an update is pending even after ending task. Browser extensions can't even directly copy passwords to paste. Details get incorrectly mixed and duplicated causing the autologin to lock you out of accounts and SUPPORT WILL NOT HELP and will not refund. Don't walk away, run.

Original review: July 7, 2019

DO NOT RISK YOUR DATA WITH DASHLANE UNLESS YOU ARE WILLING TO SPEND MONEY ON THE PREMIUM VERSION. I originally used Dashlane's free version and for a while it was going well until one day I was unable to log into my master account with my frequently used, master password. I even tried resetting my master password and I was still locked out of my account and given the "incorrect password" error. Luckily I had created a backup from about a couple months prior, so I had majority of my passwords saved, but had I not done this, I would be locked out of my account and effectively lose all of my saved passwords. I spoke with Dashlane regarding this MAJOR issue and I was given little to no help. Don't take the risk with Dashlane unless you're willing to spend money on the premium version and/or make regular backups.

Original review: June 29, 2019

I was an avid fan of Dashlane. Used it for years personally and then we implemented at work with a Business Account which was "sold" by their sales team as having a bunch of bells and whistles which simply do not work. We are so frustrated that we are paying hundreds of dollars a year and cannot get simple questions answered or bugs worked out. Their "password health" panel that lets you look at the password safety of all employees DOES NOT WORK - it does not sync, does not actually show password health properly and some accounts show our employees don't use it - when in fact they are using it and have passwords saved.

Most recently the auto fill function has stopped working - so every time you go to log in to a website, it says "Generate Password" and does not allow you to enter the password you already have saved, making you have to manually cut and paste the password out of the program and into the site. Dashlane please fix these issues or respond to your customer's help tickets.

Original review: June 10, 2019

I'm instinctively wary of password managers but I finally bite the bullet and decided to install one so I can access my passwords over all devices. Read review after review across multiple sites, Dashlane come highly recommended as one of the best. If this is 1 of the best I dread to think what the others are like because this is awful. I've been fighting with this damn thing for about 8 months. Yes I have browser extensions, yes everything is up to date.The final straw is it now doesn't even recognize live.com to log me in to my emails. DON'T BUY.

Original review: June 7, 2019

Do not download this program. After downloading the "so called" free version of this software to manage my passwords, evidently Dashlane gives your e-mail address to anyone who wants it. After downloading the software, my junk mail has exploded with at least 50 ads per day that I never used to get. After going to Google to block these various e-mail senders, the blocking did not work and I continue to get unlimited "phishing" spam. This is absurd.

Original review: May 17, 2019

If you can get Dashlane to work more than 30% of the time, I applaud you. The software does 1 thing and it is so buggy. No idea what they are using the funding money for. Definitely not for their engineering team. I couldn't install my Firefox extension after reinstalling my browser. After 7 days, support couldn't help me nor send me a link to download the extension. I was able to figure out how to solve it myself. Needed to just use the link for Chrome and it prompted for Firefox when on the page. Support ended up closing the ticket and telling me he resolved the issue. One week with no access to any of my accounts on Dashlane. Imagine that. You are better off using pen and paper than shredding $60 a month on this.

Original review: May 8, 2019

Got a new Pixel 2 at a great price and everything transferred easily. Except Dashlane. It's is supposed to email me some code so I can be authorized. It don't email me anything and the Google codes from its authorize app don't work. So here I wait on support. I've used Dashlane for years.

Original review: May 2, 2019

Avoid this at all costs. What good is a password manager that loses all the passwords when you upgrade your browser? Now I have to go through tedious password resets for every site I use. Hopefully Lastpass will keep the new passwords.

Original review: April 20, 2019

I have a 2018 MacBook Air. After researching 2019's top rate password managers, Dashlane came in ahead of the pack time and again. So I purchased the (quite spendy) premium version of Dashlane on 4-13-19. What a mistake. I had nothing but trouble. When you log in via the internet, in my case Chrome, all features are not available. You have to download the Dashlane Desktop app to get all of the features. I did so, it would open then freeze. I would reboot and it would attempt to log me in then freeze. I uninstalled, reinstalled and it simply would not work. I spent hours chatting with Dashlane's CSR's trying to troubleshoot. Multiple screenshots sent of my issues. So frustrating, I finally demanded a refund, it took a few days and I had to keep hounding the CSR's (who were all very pleasant but could not resolve the problem), I have finally been issued a refund.

NOTE: THERE IS NO PHONE SUPPORT WITH DASHLANE! Should you find yourself having an issue, be prepared to spend hours typing and a boatload of frustration. I spent 3 days trying to get this resolved. I cannot imagine that Dashlane comes in at the top of available password managers. Do not be fooled by their cute little logo.

Original review: April 13, 2019

Used the product for about 2 years and have been generally very pleased. Since the update late last year performance on Windows 10 has made the product virtually unusable. I have found that the product will not clean up after closing leaving orphaned instances still running causing issues with other programs as well as Dashlane itself. The Chrome extension is problematic and buggy. I have not used the VPN as it really has no use other than just to protect the Dashlane connection. While support has been helpful via email, I was never able to connect via phone. They assisted in identifying the rogue instance and how to closed them, but I have not seen a patch or update to fix the underlying performance issues. I give them until June before I move to another password manager.

Original review: April 12, 2019

Dashlane Premium has always been $29.99. This year- in March (2019) the auto-renewal came and they auto-debited my credit card $59.99 with ZERO notification of the increase. I contacted Dashlane and they are saying they notified me. They did not. Consequently I will warn others that this is a scam company and this could be a class-action lawsuit in the making as I am sure they did this to many many others? If this happened to you please write a review and perhaps there can be some legal action that can be taken to defend against unscrupulous companies like this.

Original review: March 20, 2019

THIS COMPANY IS NOT REACHABLE BY PHONE NUMBER LISTED. This company must be a Hoax. Have never been able to utilize their information for password storage. They keep contacting me and when I want to delete an account they send you on an endless chain of logins and unattainable information. Please notify other so-called subscribers!

Original review: March 3, 2019

How about a password manager that does not remember your passwords and loses the plot completely when you reset your browser, encore Dashlane the most useless piece of crap I have ever had the misfortune to purchase. If I could give it no stars I would. Never mind garbage in garbage out, how about data in and sod all out! It just does nothing, thankfully I have a master excel spreadsheet password list or I would be screwed. My next task is to find a way out, I know how to stop PayPal charging me to use; I just need to be rid of it.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Dashlane promises a lot of interesting features included in their service, a private VPN, password protection, automatic complex password generation, automatic fulfillment of username and password text boxes on websites and more. However, all of these features are either over exaggerated or flat out don't exist. Unlike most paid VPN's, Dashlane lacks the ability to spoof your location, an important feature which many people use to access content blocked in their country etc. Furthermore, the automatic password generations feature was buggy to all hell and was not functional for a overwhelming majority of the websites I used. Only 2 out of the say 40 websites I tried were compatible with their automatic complex password reassignment feature. This went double for their automatic text field fill in feature.

Dashlane promises that logging into sites with your new passwords will be a breeze. The ability to just click the Dashlane logo next to the text fields on most sites and have your information will automatically filled in was one of the main selling points of Dashlane. However, this feature did not work for nearly every site I chose. Major sites such as Google or Capital One did not work, and required me to open up the Dashlane app and copy and paste my new password in every time I wished to log in. Furthermore, Dashlane's accessibility for support is purely laughable. When asked a refund that fell well within the 30 day money back guarantee, they run around the question asking about your certainty to cancel their service. I even received an email offering me free discount codes which I could give to friends and family so they could try Dashlane as well.

However, I did not receive a direct response about a refund. Manually requesting a refund through any of the Dashlane apps is also impossible. It seems like there are many link redirects and runarounds put in place to purposely make obtaining a refund seem like going through a maze. Dashlane only gave me a refund when I contacted PayPal myself, and had them send a formal request to pay me back. Overall, I can't express enough how much I recommend against anyone purchasing Dashlane, unless they wish to have a confusing and miserable $40 experience.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

It took me three days to get a password because I forgot the password and then they asked for a master password. If I did not know the password, I did not know the master password. It looped me around again. I requested my money back. I did not hear from them in three days. If they could help. I removed program from my computer and the email stated that had no record that I had an account. How did they have my email and why were they asking about if had fixed the problem. If this happens to more people - need to file lawsuit.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

Alright I'll get straight to the point. If using on personal platforms this product is ideal. Basic and Pro work really well. Where they fall down is when you start looking at the business mode. In theory the additional features on this plan work well. Where it falls over, is that they have not taken into account that many business users/deployments will be using use advanced business installations of windows. Dashlane simply does not cope well with basic domain features as user roaming profiles and redirected folders (especially %appdata%).

Another negative is that Dashlane insist on keeping previous versions of itself when the application is updated, all of which are stored in the user's appdata folder. Since using Dashlane, I now have five different versions sitting in my appdata. That's 1.5Gb of disk space used for this relatively simple app. If you bear this in mind you can see how this causes all kinds of havoc for roaming users. Even more so if your network admin has applied strict quota limits.

This simply does not make sense and previous calls to their support seem to hit a blank. Why not clean up after itself on install and remove previous versions? If you need to keep the last version to revert to, fine but four previous versions. That's just bad design. I've resorted to uninstalling the windows client now and just use the browser extensions but these are limited and do not offer the extra features you pay for when using business editions. So at the moment, it is not value for money.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I have had this product for a long, long time. It isn't working correctly and I have tried to get some help. No phone help available. I have lost everything on my desktop computer while trying to follow the "Chat" directions. Got the program on my laptop but it will not enter any passwords. I would get out if I could get anyone at all to respond to my plea for help.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Installed a Trial version; still acquainting myself to the program when I found myself unknowingly signed up for the Premium version. Shortly, I was subtly informed that the $39 that I stupidly paid for the annual subscription would no longer be the full cost of it. Instead, I would be automatically paying $5.99 a month, paid with one annual credit card charge and that the charge would be done each year until I initiated a cancel action. I then had to resort to a search engine to find out where and how I could cancel; the program itself made it impossible to find this information. And then, the cancel action, when I found it, would not "cancel" the subscription. It merely downgraded it so Dashlane made sure to keep their hooks in me. I'll change that!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I'll start off and say that when the Dashlane Password Manager worked it actually worked pretty well. My problem is that the autofill feature in the browser would stop working altogether after a random amount of times. To fix it, I would have to kill Dashlane, remove the extension from my browser, and kill my browser. I would then have to start Dashlane, install the extension again, and the re-authenticate. Sometimes the authentication part for the extension wouldn't work meaning I would have to go through the process again. Dashlane would break about 3 to 6 times a week causing me to go through the process repeatedly.

I have the paid premium subscription which is advertised as having instant replies from support. I'm going to say that is not true. It would take them 48 hours or longer to get back to me. This was made all the more frustrating when I would get replies back telling me to do things I had previously tried (adding more time to get an actual response) or things that don't seem to have any relation to the problem at hand.

My support ticket was opened for 2 months with a total of 10 replies (That's right, about 1 reply a week). I went through two tiers of support with the second rep being worse. The suggested fixes are the following: Re-installing extension (tried before opening ticket), Clearing browser cache (tried before opening ticket), Disabling anti-virus (this after proving that wasn't the cause), and Disabling all extensions except Dashlane.

The straw that broke the camel's back was when they closed my ticket telling me to just use another browser. This left me an option to rate my experience. After lambasting them in the rating I get an email only a few hours later (fastest response from them) backtracking and suggesting other useless fixes. I'm done with Dashlane. I have moved on to a different service. Dashlane will not be my password manager for 2019.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

I now use LASTPASS and am comfortable with their service. I did have a free version of DASHLANE a couple of years ago and much to my surprise I find that they have debited my online bank account for $59! This is NOT an authorized debit and, since I live on Social Security as my only source of income, I am trying to have them remove the charge now. Cannot reach anyone at the company and there is no phone with which to expedite my claim. Now as an 81 year old female I am ready to say "elder abuse" but no one is listening. How can I get a credit for this unauthorized charge. I have not used Dashlane for over 2 years. Hated their service--none--and did not even conclude the "free" portion of their offering! H E L P please! I can't afford this fraud!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

Thankfully I tried this before purchasing. I installed this on a Windows 10 PC with Google Chrome and failed to get it to work even though I work in 3rd line IT Support. Having been back and forth with Dashlane support by email it would work for some sites but not for the majority. While waiting for another reply from Dashlane I installed the Android app on my phone. This crashes every time I click to save a site & password with a message saying, "The app has stopped working. Please reload," I couldn't get any sites to load. So next I installed it on my Chromebook, let's just say it completely failed to work and leave it at that. Having uninstalled it from all my devices I installed LastPass. The interface isn't quite a pretty as Dashlane but it works on all my devices and is free.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

Tried Dashlane today. Downloaded the app on my iPad, had to open the account on my old computer, would not function on my iPhone. Then I started getting messages that the master password was wrong. It’s a virus not a program. Almost impossible to get rid of. Don’t use.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

This is one of the worst apps I have ever come across. Worse still I read a positive review and actually purchased the thing without trialing it first. It is totally unintuitive, it does not matter how often you delete and re-enter website profiles it constantly reverts to the original details. It does not seem to recognize that web URLs occasionally change and again it does not matter how often you update these. It just ignores any changes you make and reverts to the original. This is one of the most frustrating apps I have ever had the misfortune to use. STAY WELL AWAY FROM THIS TOTALLY USELESS PIECE OF SOFTWARE.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I was using another password manager and all of a sudden in one of my notebooks appeared pop-ups from Dashlane when I was trying to open my database. The msg was "password incorrect" and it seems Dashlane has spoiled it. Fortunately I had backups, but their commercial campaign to sell was more than disgusting.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I paid for Premium and have reported numerous times it appears someone had been poking around my password list as it will be expanded when I keep it collapsed. The code generator stopped working and I reported that several times and only get back the most basic, boilerplate responses that never address exactly what I took the time to outline in my email nor offering any fixes. No phone support, no email to the executive office, no help. Oh, after reporting the code generator doesn't work, therefore, I cannot log into the desktop version, they tell me to use the chat feature. How can I access this when I cannot log in? Stupid ineffective customer service. This has been a horrible experience and I will be dropping Dashlane. New users beware!

Dashlane expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Dashlane is a standalone password manager that can be run on a computer or smartphone. It saves all sorts of sensitive information, not just passwords.

• Dashlane is easy to install and use: Users can quickly and easily download and install it on their computers and mobile devices.

• Password use is automated: Dashlane works by automatically saving passwords when users enter them online. It then autofills the login screen when the user returns to the site.

• Offers help with password creation: Dashlane offers comprehensive tools for generating secure passwords as well as rates user-generated password strength.

• Password recovery: If a user forgets the master password, he or she has no way to recover it and get back into Dashlane.

• Must install Google Authenticator for two-factor authentication: Users who want an extra layer of security must install a third party app; while this app is highly stable and secure, its presence still represents a security risk.

• Best for: People who can’t remember passwords

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Dashlane questions and answers

What problem is Dashlane trying to solve?
Dashlane is focused on making identity and payments simple and secure everywhere.
What sets Dashlane apart from the competition?
We place a priority simplicity and universality. Dashlane is designed so even the most novice users will be able to easily navigate the product. We strive to have this same simple user experience on every platform.
What needs does Dashlane fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
Dashlane helps users manager their online identity with a fully-featured password manager and secure digital wallet app. Dashlane allows its users to securely manage passwords, credit cards, IDs, and other important information via advanced encryption and local storage. We have helped 3 million users manage and secure their digital identity, and have enabled over $2 billion in e-commerce transactions.
How does Dashlane measure success?
Success in the short-term is based upon user feedback and public reviews of the product. We have worked hard to deliver a great product that works and have been lauded by The New York Times, USA Today and The Wall Street Journal as having the best product on the market.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about password managers?
Unfortunately the greatest challenge is that most people do not even know that password and identity managers exist. The majority of the public struggles with organizing and securing their online life and have no idea there are solutions that can fix their problems.
How has your industry changed in the last 5 to 10 years?
The industry has become more visible as the number of security breaches and hacking incidents have increased. 10 years ago, a product of ours was considered a luxury or non-essential. In today's online climate there is a growing understanding that it is a necessity.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about Dashlane?
We wish every consumer knew about identity and password solutions. Most consumers struggle with these issues and are completely unaware about how to tackle the problem. We believe Dashlane offers a solution that merges convenience and security; two elements that consumers often believe are mutually exclusive.
Has Dashlane received any awards or recognition your customers would like to know about?
We have been selected by the following publications as being the best in our industry:

David Pogue/The New York Times – “Dashlane is life-changingly great.”

The Wall Street Journal – “I recommend Dashlane. It's so simple, so you'll actually use it.”

USA Today – “Bottom line? My nod goes to Dashlane.”

PC Mag – Best Security Product of 2013

CNN Coolest Gadgets of 2013

Highest rated productivity app on iTunes
How has Dashlane grown or evolved?
We released a new version of our product that enables users to securely share passwords and have additional features that will be rolled out over the coming year.

We closed a $22 Series B venture funding round in May 2014 which made us the password manager with the most venture funding.

Dashlane Company Information