3.35/5

Need a home alarm?

Need a home alarm?

Dashlane Reviews

Original review: June 3, 2019

We've been using Dashlane since we first found out about it in 2011. The free version was offered and we opted for the paid version shortly afterward. So far we have 354 different passwords. Why? Because we can. I've become a little more savvy in protecting our online identity and Dashlane fills the bill. It is not perfect and sometimes it will try to interfere when looking at a site that I don't want to log onto. But, small price to pay. I have my password generator set to 20 characters, including symbols where allowed. In the past year, Dashlane rolled out new pricing and added features. Unfortunately I'm forced to pay for a VPN that I do not want and the prices have risen considerably. Welcome to the new world! All in all, I've used Dashlane with only one tech support request and that was handled promptly and successfully.

Original review: April 24, 2019

Granted, it helps to be intelligent before doing this. Don't start a free trial if you didn't think they would ever charge you after. Read what they are saying. Everyone else with low stars simply missed these obvious things. Sometimes there are new permissions required on update so you click the Dashlane icon in Chrome to accept new permissions before it will work again.

I did have some problems. Some pages don't work right and it helps if you can figure out how to report problems. Once I had it generate a new password but when I submitted, it went to a page where the Dashlane prompt came up to ask if I want to save the password then immediately jumped to another page so the prompt disappeared but did not come up again so I could not ever save the new password, and of course it had never told me what it was. I had to say I forgot the password and type my own so I would know what it is and enter it in manually to Dashlane. I'm on a special discount for 3 years pro, so I of course have to remember to cancel it if I don't want to be charged a higher price than what I paid for the renewal. Obviously that's how pretty much every deal works like this.

I need Dashlane for the feature of writing general text files that can be either opened quickly if you are logged in or require the master password to open, and they are all encrypted. I don't think this feature is in the other competitors, not what I've seen. The missing feature is that if I save a password, that entry has no miscellaneous field for example when they also require me to remember secret questions or an extra PIN.

Get expert buying tips about Password Manager delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

I've been using Dashlane for about 2 years now and, honestly, I've had one problem that was easily fixed by a fast response via email from their tech support. I'm shocked there are nothing but complaints here. My spouse has never had any problems at all. We're using Win 7 64-bit with really good anti-virus, ad blockers, cookie controls, and Chrome or Firefox. I rely on my own intelligence to create non-simple passwords or allow DL to generate random ones. As far as I know, their servers have never been hacked and my Master Password is not saved anywhere I haven't put it. I feel safe using Dashlane and it's free.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2019

I have used this software for almost 3 years. NO problem, but the first time I have a problem and tried to contact customer support - WOW, no support at all. First of all; they do not have any phone number to call a live help and the automatic robot help is pretty much useless. I was so scared of no help. I quickly download the password to a spreadsheet and remove the paid application.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

I've had Dashlane for a couple years and overall, very pleased. Lately, however, I am having issues with auto-fill being inconsistent. Sometimes it works for a website and other times it doesn't. It can be frustrating.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dashlane ?

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

I'm a paid member of Dashlane through 2013. I've un- and re-installed many times but it still doesn't fill in most websites. A free password saver works better for me. No prorated refunds so I'm stuck.

Original review: July 19, 2019

Avoid at all costs. Two years ago when I first became a customer this was a good service. Now the Android app fails to sync. Windows app crashes constantly, fails to sync, won't even open on any of my machines when an update is pending even after ending task. Browser extensions can't even directly copy passwords to paste. Details get incorrectly mixed and duplicated causing the autologin to lock you out of accounts and SUPPORT WILL NOT HELP and will not refund. Don't walk away, run.

Original review: July 7, 2019

DO NOT RISK YOUR DATA WITH DASHLANE UNLESS YOU ARE WILLING TO SPEND MONEY ON THE PREMIUM VERSION. I originally used Dashlane's free version and for a while it was going well until one day I was unable to log into my master account with my frequently used, master password. I even tried resetting my master password and I was still locked out of my account and given the "incorrect password" error. Luckily I had created a backup from about a couple months prior, so I had majority of my passwords saved, but had I not done this, I would be locked out of my account and effectively lose all of my saved passwords. I spoke with Dashlane regarding this MAJOR issue and I was given little to no help. Don't take the risk with Dashlane unless you're willing to spend money on the premium version and/or make regular backups.

Original review: June 29, 2019

I was an avid fan of Dashlane. Used it for years personally and then we implemented at work with a Business Account which was "sold" by their sales team as having a bunch of bells and whistles which simply do not work. We are so frustrated that we are paying hundreds of dollars a year and cannot get simple questions answered or bugs worked out. Their "password health" panel that lets you look at the password safety of all employees DOES NOT WORK - it does not sync, does not actually show password health properly and some accounts show our employees don't use it - when in fact they are using it and have passwords saved.

Most recently the auto fill function has stopped working - so every time you go to log in to a website, it says "Generate Password" and does not allow you to enter the password you already have saved, making you have to manually cut and paste the password out of the program and into the site. Dashlane please fix these issues or respond to your customer's help tickets.

Original review: June 10, 2019

I'm instinctively wary of password managers but I finally bite the bullet and decided to install one so I can access my passwords over all devices. Read review after review across multiple sites, Dashlane come highly recommended as one of the best. If this is 1 of the best I dread to think what the others are like because this is awful. I've been fighting with this damn thing for about 8 months. Yes I have browser extensions, yes everything is up to date.The final straw is it now doesn't even recognize live.com to log me in to my emails. DON'T BUY.

Dashlane expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Dashlane is a standalone password manager that can be run on a computer or smartphone. It saves all sorts of sensitive information, not just passwords.

• Dashlane is easy to install and use: Users can quickly and easily download and install it on their computers and mobile devices.

• Password use is automated: Dashlane works by automatically saving passwords when users enter them online. It then autofills the login screen when the user returns to the site.

• Offers help with password creation: Dashlane offers comprehensive tools for generating secure passwords as well as rates user-generated password strength.

• Password recovery: If a user forgets the master password, he or she has no way to recover it and get back into Dashlane.

• Must install Google Authenticator for two-factor authentication: Users who want an extra layer of security must install a third party app; while this app is highly stable and secure, its presence still represents a security risk.

• Best for: People who can’t remember passwords

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
      ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Dashlane questions and answers

What problem is Dashlane trying to solve?
      Dashlane is focused on making identity and payments simple and secure everywhere.
      What sets Dashlane apart from the competition?
      We place a priority simplicity and universality. Dashlane is designed so even the most novice users will be able to easily navigate the product. We strive to have this same simple user experience on every platform.
      What needs does Dashlane fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?
      Dashlane helps users manager their online identity with a fully-featured password manager and secure digital wallet app. Dashlane allows its users to securely manage passwords, credit cards, IDs, and other important information via advanced encryption and local storage. We have helped 3 million users manage and secure their digital identity, and have enabled over $2 billion in e-commerce transactions.
      How does Dashlane measure success?
      Success in the short-term is based upon user feedback and public reviews of the product. We have worked hard to deliver a great product that works and have been lauded by The New York Times, USA Today and The Wall Street Journal as having the best product on the market.
      What’s the most common misconception consumers have about password managers?
      Unfortunately the greatest challenge is that most people do not even know that password and identity managers exist. The majority of the public struggles with organizing and securing their online life and have no idea there are solutions that can fix their problems.
      How has your industry changed in the last 5 to 10 years?
      The industry has become more visible as the number of security breaches and hacking incidents have increased. 10 years ago, a product of ours was considered a luxury or non-essential. In today's online climate there is a growing understanding that it is a necessity.
      What is something you wish every consumer knew about Dashlane?
      We wish every consumer knew about identity and password solutions. Most consumers struggle with these issues and are completely unaware about how to tackle the problem. We believe Dashlane offers a solution that merges convenience and security; two elements that consumers often believe are mutually exclusive.
      Has Dashlane received any awards or recognition your customers would like to know about?
      We have been selected by the following publications as being the best in our industry:

David Pogue/The New York Times – “Dashlane is life-changingly great.”

The Wall Street Journal – “I recommend Dashlane. It's so simple, so you'll actually use it.”

USA Today – “Bottom line? My nod goes to Dashlane.”

PC Mag – Best Security Product of 2013

CNN Coolest Gadgets of 2013

Highest rated productivity app on iTunes
      How has Dashlane grown or evolved?
      We released a new version of our product that enables users to securely share passwords and have additional features that will be rolled out over the coming year.

We closed a $22 Series B venture funding round in May 2014 which made us the password manager with the most venture funding.

Dashlane Company Information