3.9/5 (197 ratings)

About LastPass

LastPass is a secure password manager. You can use LastPass to store all of your usernames and their matching passwords in one place. The program can be used with any device by using a mobile app or the browser extension. LastPass autofills your username and password anytime you need to log into a site.

Pros

• Browser extension and mobile app
  • Affordable premium plans
  • Free plan available
  • Store unlimited passwords

Cons

• 2015 data breach
  • Reports of slow customer service

Bottom Line

LastPass is a secure password manager that lets you store all your login information. There are free and premium plans for individuals, families and businesses. It’s available on your browser and mobile device.

LastPass Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LastPass?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about LastPass?

Original review: March 20, 2021

Incredibly disappointed with the change to their service forcing users to pay or choose desktop/mobile. I've been using this app for 5+ years, and this will be my last. I originally chose this software because Google Password Manager was lagging behind feature wise, and LastPass was ahead of the game technically and flexibility wise. Now that Google has caught up, I will be using the mobile app to gradually transfer all my passwords before closing my account, thus giving me an opportunity to clean up the years of accumulated garbage that LastPass has offered little tooling to help manage. Their software has recieved minimal updates over the years, and I've encountered a variety of subtle but very irritating issues around both the web and mobile apps. As a developer myself, I find this to be an insult to software as a service. Good luck with it...

Original review: March 17, 2021

Literally making a consumeraffairs account just to vent against the greedy idiots in ownership/directorship/management at LastPass. They gather your passwords and hold them for free then create a paywall to force you to keep using the service. Scummy, but OK; I paid the ransom because exporting is a pain and they'd been a largely fine service. And... My Microsoft Edge browser still isn't recognizing my lastpass premium service despite the logout/login. I paid the ransom. Hostages still not released, but stuck on my phone. Definitely switching ASAP. Good thing you billed yearly for monthly service, Lastpass! Maybe you'll survive as a company to 2023... ;-)

Original review: Feb. 17, 2021

We had been long-time, happy and satisfied users of LastPass for several years. Then last week, we got an email from LastPass, kind of bluntly stating that the free service we’ve been using would be pretty severely limited starting in about a month, so maybe we would want to “upgrade” and PAY to get what seems like a slightly LOWER level of service. I guess the time had come when LastPass needed to get us free users to start paying. Kind of annoying.

Well, if we’re going to have to pay for our password management software, it seemed sensible to us to check out what other companies were offering, something we never even THOUGHT about before. Within a few minutes, I found Keeper. Costs pretty much the same as the 25% OFF LastPass was offering. Recommended ABOVE LastPass by PC MAG.

Keeper had a chat widget right there on their home page (not easy to find on LastPass). So I clicked in, and got a nearly immediate response. I asked, “Why should I choose Keeper instead of sticking with LastPass?” I got an IMMEDIATE and kind of compelling response. This rep knew exactly what his company was offering, and he seemed to know exactly what LastPass was offering. I asked whether Keeper would make switching over easy. I got an IMMEDIATE RESPONSE with a link to a video that showed just how easy it would be. At this point I was pretty convinced to switch, especially considering the slightly disrespectful way LastPass announced these changes.

But I thought it would only be fair to listen to the LastPass sales pitch. So I went to the LastPass website, logged in, and after a good bit of searching, I found a link to chat. What an unmitigated fiasco!! After waiting a long time to get a rep online, I asked this simple question (many times in many ways): Apparently, I’m going to pay someone for this service. Why should it be LastPass instead of Keeper? In a chat conversation that lasted more than an hour, I never got ANY answer to that question. Every response took SEVERAL MINUTES and I never got any closer to an answer.

I did get this: “Unfortunately we do not have knowledge about terms and conditions from Keeper to address them here. Feel free to visit their website to check difference on products.” Do you really want your reps to recommend this? The Keeper rep WAS knowledgeable about LastPass. Of course, I might forgive the LastPass rep for not knowing about Keeper, but she also didn’t tell me ANYTHING about LastPass, not a SINGLE feature that would be added when I started paying for the service. Even the ONE webpage she sent me was about the many features of the free version of LastPass that I’m going to LOSE on March 16, and the additional features they're going to take away on May 17.

REALLY?? Your upselling move made me check out the other guy. Then, in an effort to be fair and smart, I contacted your company in the only way you make available. I asked your representative to give me ANY kind of sales pitch to get me to buy this service from you instead of the other guy. You gave me NOTHING!! You rewarded my fairness with time-wasting incompetence. How is your strategy going to avoid moving a BUNCH of your free accounts over to the competition?? Finally, the rep promised me they would escalate this case, and I would get an EMAIL someday from a supervisor. Do you think I’ll get that email before I’m done switching to another provider? Sad.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2020

The first technical support response to a premium customer would be copying and pasting some general information from their user manual that is not related to the issues, and it usually takes the technical support team a very long time to get back with you. The urgent requests are mostly ignored, and very much you will be on your own once you become a “premium” customer. While LP is a great toy to play with and customize, it’s 99.9% of the time a self-service product. After using the product for 9 years, due to the reliability and accountability challenges that I have been experiencing with the support team to recover my lost passwords, not having a restore capability that the similar products are offering, I’m moving my passwords somewhere else.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2020

Absolutely terrible when making updates. Never works and sends emails to wrong person. Unable to complete simple updates. Tried this app twice in the pass and same issues. Tried updating email address 8 times and had to delete app. You can't recover your info if you forget anything yet when you delete your account it will send it to a wrong email address. Real Secure Right?

Original review: Dec. 16, 2020

I had been a Premium user for many years and did not experience any real issues until this year. I had to contact support twice. The first time took several days and the problem seemingly resolved itself. Currently I am 3 weeks and counting on trying to access my account as I can only login to the app and not the web or Chrome extension. There is usually 2 to 3 days between replies where I am asked to do several things that have not helped. I included a video of the exact issue and it is pretty clear there is an issue on their end of things but no one has committed to fixing this or escalating the issue. It shouldn't take this long to fix in my opinion.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

I contacted them and sent a screenshot with the following message: "I just tried to purchase the premium and get the Cyberweek discount, but it's not working." Their suggestion didn't work, "Please try to purchase LastPass Premium on discounted rate using different browsers and check if it is working fine." When I mentioned that, they told me that since the deal was now over, that I needed to pay full price, "I am very sorry to inform you that Cyberweek offer is not available anymore. We will notify you if there is any Offer is availabe in the future. You can refer LastPass current price in the below link." I asked why I needed to pay full price now when I mentioned the issue during the sale, and they still expect people to pay the regular price after they acknowledged having an issue. I'll be looking at alternatives.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2020

We have been using LastPass premium plan for a little while now and the whole point of us taking that subscription is because we have believed it would allow us to send access to different websites to different people without having to reveal the passwords to those people. Thus, helping with our security. Well for the last two days, almost three, it has been apparent that LastPass is revealing passwords to users even when we have specifically chosen not to allow those users to see the password. When the user goes to enter those details, launching the website through the LastPass Vault, it takes them to the website and they can click on a little eye and it will reveal the password that is underlined which is TERRIBLE.

Clearly, the entire opposite of what we are trying to achieve by having paid for a version of LastPass to keep passwords secure. I do not understand what is going on with LastPass. I emailed them, they responded once. I emailed again, NOTHING. I am appalled at this major security breach. There are people out there now who have access to all of our passwords. It has taken us considerable amount of time to go and try to rectify and change passwords but there's no point because now they can see the new passwords. MAJOR SECURITY BREACH. Absolutely DISGUSTED with LastPass and lack of response. The VIDEO will show one of our users and the fact that she can visibly see the password, LastPass needs to get its act together. **

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

A Microsoft update affected my log ins including my Master Password for LastPass. After trying for days to get into the program and/or reset my password I put in a support ticket. I received automated instructions to reset it such as use your pin code or phone number for a SMS code. Unfortunately, I didn't set those up as I was never required to. The company would do nothing to help and at that point I was told, again by an automated message, that if I didn't set those up, I would have to delete and start over re-entering all my passwords. Now, would I need LastPass if I could remember all the passwords? Of course not. I am confused as to why such a deal breaker isn't built into the set up process. If you can lose everything without a pin and cell phone number why would any service allow you to bypass those contingencies?

I assumed they would send me a temporary password in such situations as every-other-such-service DOES. Nope that might look like caring and they do not do that. Subsequent emails with, I assume, a person - no one in tech seems to know how to use a phone- reinforced their indifference to my plight. "Delete and start over." I did finally get a password to work. So now I WILL start over- with a different service, any service. Even if it's a two cans and a string system. Funny thing is, I was about to pay for pro. Logmein used to be a trailblazing company and watching to see what they were doing next was a thing all people using computers often did. Now they are just sad and self-indulgent. I can't imagine what they are thinking treating their bread and butter end users this way. PMD

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

LastPass gave no help after I lost all my passwords. The only way to contact is through email. The instructions through the email to retrieve my password were unclear. I asked a geek control friend to help me to explain to me. He went through LastPass steps, put in a password, wrote it down. LastPass went to next step after excepting new password. When we tried to get in using the new password We Could Not. I emailed for help. LastPass response was, "We do not give phone support to customer. Only to administrator/business accounts." I was emailed that I could delete my old account and get a paid account. The ironic thing is LastPass has No Live Support for general paid accounts.

Original review: May 10, 2020

I downloaded the free version (7 day trial) and installed it on my iPhone 6S and the extension in Chrome on my desktop. It all seemed good, and I liked how smooth exporting my Chrome passwords over to Lastpass went. Later that day I changed one of my passwords, and noted that Lastpass picked it up, but, my Chrome password manager did not. I checked other PCs on my cloud, and, of course they did not either. I found no way to make the system update both Lastpass and Chrome passwords simultaneously. I noticed that Lastpass relies mostly on canned Q&A. That, along with the review comments herein, told me not to go with them. Their set up may be perfectly acceptable to others, but I would like my Chrome Password Manager to keep working also, just in case.

Original review: April 1, 2020

I cleared all my cache and cookies on my browser and when I came back on I had to re-enter LastPass username/password to log in again. Fair enough, makes sense. But upon entering the correct email and password, it prompted me to "send me a verification code" via their authentication app. I got NOTHING. I clicked on "send SMS" and got absolutely nothing on my phone despite clicking 20 times and waiting an hour. Yes, that was the exact same phone number I entered into the system when signing up.

I finally found a way to disable this authentication but when I followed the link, it says "sorry, you can't disable authentication via email" - what is the point of even presenting that option then if you can't do it over email... ? Why tell people "click here to disable authentication via email" if it's not allowed? So the entire system is flawed. I can't log in because all my passwords are stored here and it will take a long time going through and resetting passwords for all my 200 websites.

The whole system doesn't make sense. The "SMS code" isn't being sent to the number on file, the authentication doesn't work, they provide an email authentication system that ... apparently also doesn't work. Super disappointed and now have to wait a few days to a week for a response before I can get everything working again.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

I have been using Lastpass on my computer with relatively few problems but I cannot use their two factor authentication because their push notification Is sent to a phone number which I no longer use. I have tried over and over again to get them to respond to my request to change the number but their customer service/support procedures are the worst that I've ever come across. Now I have to go through the inconvenience of changing to another provider but first I would like to warn anyone To beware of Lastpass and all the potential problems which you may face. I would also be great anyone could suggest another service to which I can switch.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

They are forcing customers to install things, register, accept things that I don't want to. Weird bugs are occurring, it's not user friendly and it seems like some junior developers worked on this service. I would honestly never leave my passwords to this cheesy service.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

We have finally ditched LastPass and will never go back. Their service is deplorable. I was all excited to introduce their password service to my wife and boy was that a mistake. After months of trying to get her to be a member it never happened. I paid them for the family plan and since I am a very busy person, every once in a while I would try to get her account setup. Each time we tried there was a problem with her password. The irony is that they are supposed to be experts with passwords.

I reached out to their customer service and we went back and forth for months because I did not have the time to deal with this on a regular basis. They finally added her email as a member but she could never log in because it was like she was stuck in a loop. They would try to reset her password but she could never log in because they could not verify her. It kept asking for her password which she could never get to work. It got to the point that I had to curse at their support which must be overseas for my money back. They refused to give our money back even after I said that I would write a truthful review of our experience all over the web. The bright side of this is that I found a better service called Dashlane. It is way more user-friendly and advanced. Goodbye LastPass forever!

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

My wife purchased LastPass and followed the instructions but then the software didn't work as expected. She read the FAQs and also watched videos but that didn't help. Then we tried to call customer service and just got a recording to look at the website. We also sent an email request for help. No luck there either. Do not purchase this product!

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

My 6th website I've searched out to tell people to RUN FROM LASTPASS! It is the BIGGEST POS I've ever tried to use. Fills in 1 in 20 forms.... Must sign in at least 3 times on Android and then it more often than not won't fill anything in. Don't give me permissions crap excuses, I'm in IT and know what I'm doing. Also, the UI switch last spring SCREWED even more the usability. You can't freaking find anything and the extension takes up 10 inches of a drop down. You allow your access to 2 of your passwords for that site. As an IT person who manages many many sites with multiple logins...this just SUCKS! Desperately trying to move over 1000 passwords to another service.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2019

If you have a problem with LastPass - and you will at some point, there is NO customer support - literally NONE. They have a robot that cannot understand even the MOST BASIC question. Any attempt to solve a problem puts you in a circular loop of uselessness. I have used it and my family members. Several times someone has had to delete. Start all over (which means crating a new email account - for starters). Then there are hours of putting in all accounts and passwords - again.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

Chaos unneeded - hit and miss. Do not waste your time. It forgets more than it remembers - hit and miss - try signing back in and you are in hell. Autofill almost never autofills. Stay with Google Password Manager - it works minus chaos.

'

Original review: Nov. 10, 2019

Used free version for years. Site was fine. Easy to work. Site recommended to change password. I did and could not remember even with hint. Tried all recovery methods. Tried one time password and got - "Login Failed. Invalid username, one-time-password or one-time login is restricted by company policy." Tried by email and got message "failed gateway." Cannot get password. Maybe limited to free option but would not pay in case this happened.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

The software itself works great. But geez Louise, if you need customer service good luck to you!!! There is no phone number. You can only fill in an online form. They take well over a day to get back to you (which is an eon in internet time and when you have an emergency with your password system). I have now been trying to get an answer to a question for FIVE DAYS. I've had three BAD email responses that DO. NOT. ANSWER. MY. QUESTION. Seriously makes me want to find a new password manager. And hey, LastPass, I'm the person in charge at my company who makes this decision!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2019

This product does not do what it claims and the validation to get into the account doesn't work at all. I requested a refund a few days after purchase and they refused. The online verification forces you to retry about 5 or 6 times before it works. It offers a secondary protocol through your phone and that never works and you have to reset your master password every time you need to log into your account. None of the online password fill-in functions work until you log into the LastPass website.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2019

I've been a paid Premium user for the last few years. All of a sudden I'm not able to access my vault. It is NOT a password problem. It just won't let me login -- gives me an error message that says "Already login in with a different account. Please log out of other sessions (website and plugin) and try again." But I'm NOT logged in anywhere else, and there's no option to log out of all sessions -- which means I can't login to any of the dozens of password-protected sites and software programs whose passwords are being managed by LastPass. And LastPass has no live support -- only an exasperating bot that tells me over and over how to recover my main password, which is NOT the problem. So the program doesn't work anymore. But this is a program without which I cannot access OTHER programs and websites. Now I am looking for another password manager. My advice is to stay away from this company/software. You will regret using it.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2019

I can't decide which is worse... changing a time-proven tool like LastPass to make it harder to use and render it useless, or being totally unresponsive to customer complaints and requests for help and solutions. If you're thinking of buying/using LastPass, please visit their user forums. No good news there. Plus, they engage in shady business practices... They have jacked up the price and auto-renewed my subscription the last several years, and double billed me twice. There are better companies that do what LassPass does. Keep looking.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

I have been with LastPass for a number of years, but never had the need to contact them. Well, they just double billed me for my annual fees. First I sent them an email with no results. Then I tried calling them. That was futile. It has now been three days and still the problem has not been resolved, nor have they responded to my email, nor answered their phones. LastPass only wants your money. They have no customer service if you have a problem. I'm guessing that they are having financial problems!!!!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

This company has no ability to help their customers. I can no longer login with the Master Password. Even when I went in to the master settings and it says the password I made it it does not work. If you have not set up any recovery methods you are screwed and will never recover unless you win the lottery and someone actually gets back to you. At this point I'm screwed and I now have no passwords and will start over with a new password manager that has live tech support. This is garbage company and wound not recommend it to anyone. Along with any LOGMEIN products. Total boycott of LogMeIn and all their products will protect you from being ripped off.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

I just discovered that Lastpass charged my credit card in June 2019 for $36. I have been a premium member for many years and have always paid $12. To make matters worse, I am unable to contact customer service by phone (703-712-8315) or by email. By the way, I have permanently canceled my account. Credit

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

My company was a Meldium user before it got bought out by LogMeIn and we were converted to LastPass Teams. We have always wanted to be able to allow (and control) our various employees and freelancers to log in to various sites without being able to see or store the usernames or passwords. However, in the past few months we've learned that our LP users can readily reveal/show the passwords shared with them via LastPass while logging into Google or LinkedIn (and whether in Chrome or Firefox).

The password reveal option is right there, in the password field, and if/when clicked on, it reveals the password. We have contacted support (which can only be done over email/support ticket) and have been told that a developer can find workarounds to be able to see passwords and that they (LP) cannot be responsible for a user being able to see the password once it's been released to a user's browser. This is crazy considering that's the whole purpose of LP Teams.

I have repeatedly tried to explain to them that this is NOT a matter of someone knowing how to get around LastPass to reveal the password. Developer tools or knowledge of how to edit the page source are NOT required in order for any normal user to be able to reveal the password once at the login page of the site. In fact, it’s almost impossible NOT to click on the eyeball or show button when clicking on the LastPass badge within the password field. We are actively looking for an alternative to LastPass!

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

LastPass is a completely abysmal service run by a company who does not care in any way about their customers. Lost your password or someone in your family having a difficult time getting into their vault? The only support you will get from LastPass is exercises in customer deflection. I recently had a family member locked out of their account and the process to get back in was horrendous, and LastPass provided absolutely zero help. LastPass itself does not provide any customer support numbers, and when you call the one number they do have for sales and select technical support, you just get a voice telling you three times to go to the help site (which is useless for matters like these) and hangs up on you. So clearly, they prioritize selling to new people and taking their money over helping existing customers.

LastPass epitomizes why people are so frustrated with technology. Selling half baked services and running customer interactions based on nothing but pure greed. We've since moved to 1Password, what I use for work, for family use. We made the switch at work a year or so ago from LastPass Teams, which is also a completely abysmal service.

Original review: July 20, 2019

Along with many others who have posted on the Last Pass user forum, I get no response to my problem with the Recently Used function no longer working. Although this particular function is not critical, I find it very disturbing that this program, which is critical, appears to lack any support.

LastPass Company Information