1.56/5
Based on 50 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

Juno

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Sept. 8, 2017

74 Juno Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

Folks, I have been with Juno since the days THEY WAS ONLY JUNO, you used dial-up to get internet and email. I lost one email address to spam after having posted it on a ancestry site publicly. I keep it for the reason of dial-up access to get email. BUT many of the complaints here are correct, I used to use their internet, it was so clogged and slow on the internet that I could use dialup and get a faster download, mind you I could get a cup of coffee during the wait. Then customer service, quick to charge at every turn. Having computer background I was able to silence many of their excuses post haste. Being billed after the fact. It has took threats and lots of hell raising to remedy that, I even put a block on the card they used to bill me with, I too lost old data because of their NEW software.

As far as timing, about every 15 minutes their server does a update and sends mail. This I have learned. But more recently, I was forced to use a newer edition of Juno software when my old version crashed, I suspect Juno aided and abetted that and nowhere can you load the older platforms. SO I bit the dust and got the newer one. It does updates and has a limit on how many files it can handle, which when exceeded does cause a crash. I learned this trying to restore one file too many a few times until I figured out the cause. I had mega mail at one time, took a while to cancel that, and a call to support to get them to cease the harassment mails about renewal. I retired to just the basic email. I too use it as a backup for certain types of mail. If I suspect any spam coming from a site I use another email system. I have learned they do little except sent you email replies.

On occasion they do stop the spam, or have at least improved efforts at doing so. My gripes is the Java locking out computer, I.E. browser only (I only trust Bill Gates to do one thing, be a crook. Having seen his actions since DOS 3.2 version thru 6.22 Win 3.1, 3.11, 95 A B, 98, 98 2nd, ME, NT, XP, win 7 and the rest I despise more than what I'm dealing with now). SORRY I DIGRESS, Junos inability to open links in another browser, Juno participated in a shared computing program, utilizing many computers as means to have complex calculations without paying for a super computer. I opted out for a while, as it caused my machine to crash and lock up, BUT it has been a mandatory condition to use their service now LAST I READ. I hate it locks up my computer most every time I use it UNTIL I SHUT IT DOWN often forcibly thru task manager. I have absolutely zero trust in I.E. Explorer security measure.

Recently I found Juno when opened was able to crash my antivirus, leave my system unprotected. It took a renewal of my antivirus to combat that. But because of the back doors inherit with Bill Gates Software, plus Juno's ability to use your computer to run programs. I'm seeking to bypass Juno software altogether. Webmail is too much of a disaster, I can monitor my emails now on android, but must download on windows and Juno software to empty their server of my mail. Even that is getting very annoying now. Nothing works right until I shut Juno down and completely down. I even have difficulty now to prevent it from running at startup. Cannot seem to stop that function, unlike before I could.

Nothing can be quickly retrieved without having to intercept and stopping Juno program during the boot up. Or else it takes me 5 minutes to open download review and delete and then shut down and then go to task manager to shut down completely out of background. The excessive ads have pushed me to the old simple email program and the forced attached ads to my emails have annoyed my receivers where I only use it for receiving notifications. It has become obsolete in its services and functions now. I liked the security of Dial Up email. Phones with copper lines will work in most disasters. Short of ripping phone lines down. They do still host dialup servers. BUT they ensure you cannot use them because of the Ad Content and bandwidth everything demands now. When they change my password again without permission and force me to call customer service to address it...

It will be to close my accounts permanently. Its security has also fell by the wayside over the years. Netzero, United, and most everything else since the original Juno has done even worse. It served me for years, I even had paid service for much of those years. But it's become too much of a hassle and problem to deal with and nightmares in programming around its invasive presence on a computer now. I do not have any alternatives for you other than maybe GoDaddy.com for a email account, but they don't come cheap nowadays. I DO WISH GoDaddy would buy them out and revamp it, I do believe they could make it work.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

A 1997 member now HATES it... Yes, I joined in 1997. I liked it because it did not have a lot of spam, and I could use it for special sites, while leaving my Hotmail for general sites. But, about a month ago, they took away the "sign in for 2 weeks" option. I wrote customer service and they said it was a new security feature, and there are no plans to restore it. For those of us who use long and complex passwords, this really, really stinks. The only way you can change your password is to call an 800 number and be pressured to get their paid version. I refuse to call.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

This company consistently fails to deliver the internet speed that it advertises and bills for. I pay for 3000Kbps. They deliver 1248Kbps to my router. Needless to say this disparity causes slow and unreliable internet connections. The speed of my connection has been abysmal ever since Juno. DSL became involved with Megapath Corporation, which manages the dsl network. Since Juno got involved with Megapath they abruptly raised my billing by 35 percent and at the same time began delivering 1/3 of the download bandwidth they advertise and bill for... This is fraudulent. In August 2017 this unstable connection was lost at least 45 times. Do yourself a favor and find internet anywhere else except with Juno DSL/Megapath. If you don't, you will regret it as I do.

Original review: June 12, 2017

I've been using Juno since dialup. I now only use Juno Webmail exclusively, but with the ads and such, I can't even type an email without it taking 15-20 minutes to type an email that used to take me about 5 minutes to type because it skips words, letters, takes too long to load, keeps timing out and web has to recover. I hardly check my emails anymore and would rather text because it is just too darn frustrating to even go onto Juno. TOO MANY ADS and I NEVER buy or even LOOK at what's being advertised.

Original review: March 15, 2017

I have been a Juno user for many years... since dial up days! The last year with Juno has been a nightmare. Bogged down. Extremely slow. Computer freezes. WAAAAAAAY too many ads. Knocked out numerous times. I could go on and on. Not worth the frustration staying with Juno. I'm bailing and recommend others follow and potential users BEWARE!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Juno?

Original review: Feb. 27, 2017

12 days ago my e-mail quit working, so I called tech support and after over an hour of trying to fix it over the phone, they said a senior technician needed to look at it and that would take 24 - 48 hours for them to get back to me. Two days later, no call-back, so I called them again and we went through the whole troubleshooting process again with another promise that a senior technician would call. Another two days and no callback, so I called again wanting to talk with a supervisor, but that wasn't possible, but I was going to be credited with a free month's service for my inconvenience and a senior technician would call me in 24 - 48 hours. So here I am two days later and still no service and no callback. I've been a customer of Juno since the mid-1990's and have had very few problems in that time, but with this experience, it may be time to look somewhere else for an E-mail provider.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2017

Like so many other reviewers here, I have been with Juno since the 90s. I recall their first obsolete ads, pickles. They kinda sat there quite boringly. Today I pay, $10 per year each for 2 or 3 accounts. Juno on the Web is a NONFUNCTIONAL ATROCITY. The polite reviewers here haven't mentioned the overwhelming stress and anger this incompetent service subjects us to. The ads are overwhelming and they too function just as poorly as the email service itself. Besides the ads not functioning correctly, do we really need to see 2 or 3 of the same ads not functioning at the same time? If we are holding on to our desk, trying to desperately not go Postal, does Juno and its advertisers really believe we are going to buy these advertised products. Sometimes it may take a minute just to type a single word.

I use this service for both business and personal, like others, I'm just not ready to bite the bullet and change to another service. If Juno would just pull their head out... There are some nice features. Sitting here right now, looking at Gmail, there is a little 1/2 inch window to type a letter in. Juno gives you a whole page to type in, but the joke is... Your page is going to crash before you can fill it.

DON'T START JUNO, FIND ANOTHER PROVIDER!

Original review: Dec. 19, 2016

It appears that cancelling the Juno Webmail service is no easy task. While web-searching for a postal service mailing address for this company I came upon this ConsumerAffairs site and noticed a few of the reviews. I also noted the company name and address shown here and used it to send a them a certified "protest and dispute" letter concerning their continuing to bill my credit card after being told twice to cancel the email account. Just got the letter I sent them back - looks like they refused the delivery, or the address you list here is not correct. Will now check with the credit card company and see what's going on there. I actually liked the service ok, but they kept raising their prices.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2016

Still a very very slow site. I cannot even find how to delete my e-mail account with them! Also they have my OS as Windows 98. I am using Windows 10 - can't even change that settings. When I try to type in anything it is way too slow. Not worth the bother and hassles.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2016

I've been a subscriber to Juno for many, many years (since the days of dial-up) and very much prefer the screen and features of their email to Gmail which I use for a different purpose BUT the ads have become a problem. They cause the program to lock up and/or slow down to the point that it's almost unusable. Yesterday I found what may be the solution - AVAST. This anti-virus program also offers a web browser and it somehow deletes the ads. Solving the locking problem. Others may want to give it a try.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2016

I needed an email address for applying to jobs and did a quick search on Google, Juno came up so I tried it. Took 9 minutes for it to reach my email as a test. Then went to GMX, sign up was far less intrusive and the email test arrived in a few seconds, bye bye Juno!

Original review: Aug. 4, 2016

I have semi-free email with Juno, and you get what you pay for, that is for sure. I have had the account since the early 90s. Unfortunately all of my business emails come through Juno, and it would be a big pain to change the service. I am trying to send an email today, and some frigging, stupid ass ad will not let me send the email. I definitely will never ever buy anything that they advertise. So Motley Fool, Toyota and Progressive, the stinking ads that is preventing me from sending an email, be forewarned. I will never buy your crap. You can thank Juno for that. I know Juno is able to provide almost free service because of their ads, but can't the morons that run the place figure a way to keep the ads from preventing a person from sending emails? Juno, you can bite me!

Original review: July 11, 2016

Like most others reviewing, I've also had an account since mid 1990's. This was one of the first "free" email services, & their software was pretty good... for then. They acquired Netzero (which I also was a member of) & messed up that service to DEATH. Then United online (Thawte software) bought them. I continued using their software, but I did modify. They'd add really obnoxious ads at end of mail, I couldn't end that.

In about 2006, I discovered I could only use the software on "prior software builds" of machines. Any CD install was a mess or didn't work. Thru a browser? Only if you've got aggressive ad blocking (more than ad-block plus). I also keep the account for "legacy" reasons. Their original program also "introduced filters." It took awhile for other services& even now, only Microsoft (Hotmail, Live, Outlook) offers something similarly ez to setup (Gmail has weak, aggressive, & way-too-aggressive settings). Other legacy reviewers here give it one to two stars. I'd go with 1 star for noobs. They just haven't kept up & went to way overkill advertising model. Yahoo's Flickr killed itself that way too some years ago (they didn't have enough "Legacy").

Juno/uol must've given up on their offline reader long ago. Online they're just too annoying. Another trick is to setup with no graphics in emails. But now I mostly use this account for legacy stuff. Like password resets, charities & of course, those shopping mall or lotteries (for birthday list clubs too-after but I recommend messing up a day/year digit on ANY service because of what I've seen on this one). I also got Megamail suckered. And $1.95 per minute (non) "support". I haven't made a new password for years. I just use their "default" one (that was my cause for $?8.00 support, they didn't even have a fair reset option once upon a time). That's how bad it's become. Legacy users are all they've got left. Poor business model to begin with I guess. Too many buyouts & ownership changes to trust. I'm honestly mystified or outright shocked by 4-5 star reviews. Bottom line: AVOID. UNNECESSARY HASSLE.

Original review: June 1, 2016

We have been using Juno for 20 years. When they got into the DSL business, we continued with them because we have been very happy with their service. My father, on the other hand, has all kinds of troubles with his service and here's why: he uses the Juno software. If you are considering subscribing to Juno, do not use their software! Instead, use your choice of browsers (I use Google Chrome, but Firefox works, as does Internet Explorer) and go to webmail.juno.com and log in there. You automatically have your browser, and you can use the webmail version of Juno in a tab.

Your emails are safe on the web, won't download onto your machine and cause problems when you want to upgrade your computer and try to export/import your emails and folders onto the new computer. That has cost me countless hours on my father's machine! The added benefit is that all of your emails and folders are accessible from any computer anywhere in the world. Just. Don't. Use. Juno's. Software. Period.

Original review: March 9, 2016

Although I love Juno, (I've had a Juno email since the mid-1990s), my main complaint is that it's nearly impossible to get the news videos to play. Juno puts videos on the main page that are great stories, I'm sure. But, it takes 20 minutes of clicking to get them to play!!! I think the problem is the ad videos on the side of the screen that are constantly playing and somehow blocking the news and personal interest story videos from playing. It is so frustrating and time consuming. I usually end up typing the story title into another browser and finding the story on another site.

Original review: March 2, 2016

Just spent an hour+ with Juno support on the phone because I can't open e-mails, can't reply to e-mails, until the ads finish loading onto the screen. Then Juno disconnects and I start all over again getting nowhere. I reached tech support & screamed. "Oh, I need to transfer you to e-mail support." I reached email support & screamed. "Oh, I need to transfer you to tech support!" "Install AdBlock." "Don't use that icon on your toolbar, that's out of date." Final test, open e-mail. There are the ads, still blocking me. "Sorry, nothing more we can do." So I'm paying for a service I don't get. For all the grief it will cost me, I'm dumping Juno and you should too.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2016

I have used JUNO as my email provider for probably 20 years. In the last year, they have become atrocious. The advertising scripting makes a 1-minute email turn into a 5-minute frustrating task. Emails take forever to type as words are left out and it skips letters. I have emailed them with complaints and requests for a call back and all I get is an automatic reply. There is no telephone number that I can find in order to see if they are working on the problem. If someone has a telephone number, please post it. If not for my extensive names list, I would change but will probably change in a month or 2 and bite the bullet. I would NOT recommend JUNO email to anyone and rate it a one-star only because I can't check zero.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2015

This is for anyone foolishly considering using Juno for email and/or ISP. PLEASE DO NOT USE JUNO! I've had Juno for years, ONLY because of mistakenly establishing a Juno email address for personal and business use. Juno software has not had a major revision in FIVE YEARS! Who else does that? If you stick to JUST Juno email, you may be o.k., but don't select Juno "Web" which loads COUNTLESS ads, videos, etc. and will CRASH their software. The crash is guaranteed to happen when you are right in the middle of an important email and will cause errors to the point of corrupting your sent emails and/or email address book so that you may NEVER be able to recover!

And CHARGING me to speak to a tech service person? Really? I already PAY for your lousy software, Juno! Don't add insult to injury! I have even WRITTEN (yes, formal business letter mailed through the USPS) to Juno executives, who always ensure me that they are working on the problems and that I shouldn't worry. Oh, yeah, right. Don't make the mistake of wasting a call to Juno tech services, even if you can convince them to put it through at no charge - the software "flunkies" will tell you that is YOUR fault and ask you to uninstall/reinstall the Juno software, which DOES NO GOOD AT ALL! Once again, lesson learned here is STAY AWAY FROM JUNO software!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2015

I was a customer of the free Juno email since 1997 and my business came to rely on the email address, so I continued the service when they started charging to keep the email addresses. I had no need for their internet or online email services. Two years ago I phased out the email address and went online and paid for one more year of Juno service in case people still used that address to contact me. I realize that what Juno does nowadays is really obsolete and they must be desperate to hold on to customers. They make it very tough to quit and my experience made me not want to deal with anything this company tries to do in the future.

Juno has no option for NOT auto-renewing (that is, you are forced to auto renew and you can't change this online), and the only way to cancel the account is to make multiple phone calls to different "departments" for hours. They suggest calling at off-peak complaint hours of 9 pm-2 am. I was eventually able to reach someone and actually cancel my account and get credit for (most of) the upcoming year I had just been charged for against my will. We were 2 DAYS into the new billing cycle, so the representative credited my account for 10 CENTS less than the annual fee, which I thought was really funny, but the rep was actually serious. AVOID THIS COMPANY!

Original review: Oct. 6, 2015

I cancelled the Juno megamail one month it was due and I am still receiving bills and being reported to the credit bureau for non payment. I cancelled months ago.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2015

For all complaints, I have been with JUNO when it was NetZero and they separated. I used the free email, now I pay $5.95 per month. Yes, there is a great deal of Spam, but JUNO upgraded and now there is a trash can icon to delete the spam without even reading the spam emails. Also you can empty the trash can in the same manner. FREE EMAIL SERVICES: AOL, YAHOO, MSN and GMAIL. They may be more that I do not know of. A web search could probably assist you with finding more free email services. I have no affiliation with JUNO other than an end user.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2015

Juno on the Web is in my opinion useless compared to the older versions of Juno Internet. I have been a loyal paid subscriber with Juno for many, many years. I think that Juno on the Web is a potential fraud. Why? First of all it has advertising, that Juno Internet did not have for paying customers. If I uninstall Juno on the Web & try to install from a CD received in 2013, it installs Juno Home or Juno Web & Juno Internet will not open up, plus I do not have the Juno Backup/Restore Wizard feature. I actually liked the old Juno, however I am at my wits end.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2015

Several times I cannot login to anything Juno. It is very important that I see my email every day. I have Mega Mail in which I pay for but it still has the same issues as regular email. Freeze ups, complete erase in the middle of a mail, trash gets emptied after 20 mails. If one wants to connect to administration it costs 3.95 per minute to talk to them and this is even to just fix a minor mistake like the reset on a password. Cost a fortune if there is something serious then you have to pay for tech support on top of that. It is just not a good deal at all. Not happy!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2015

Juno appears to be falsely stating storage usage as being at 95%, EVEN WHEN IT IS MUCH LOWER; In an attempt to force customers to purchase pay email services. Even after removing over 50% of my stored emails, the site still says that 95% of storage is in use. That's impossible, and deceitful. Juno wants all users to pay for services; they no longer welcome free service users.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2015

I have had one account with Juno email for a long time. Back to before 2001. We used dial up back then and well into 2005. Today, hi speed internet. My email address is everywhere. I have a free Gmail acct. It is great. But all of my real email goes through Juno. It is horribly slow, freezes up, restarts, and is so, so frustrating. They don't care about us free users and want us to either pay or leave. Changing email is a lot of work and you will miss people and companies. They could fix it if they wanted to. On Juno, typing this would take 30 minutes due to the above. Juno, if you have something to say or do for me, you better let me know soon. I wish I could have given a 1/10 of a star!!

Original review: July 29, 2015

I have used Juno as my first email since the mid-90's and still use it for most of my regular contacts. It is the only service for which I pay, for MegaMail at 5 Gig storage. I also have Gmail, Outlook and Yahoo, free with much larger storage, and NONE of the problems I get with Juno. One of my most important business contacts has to send me ordinary attachments in Word or PDF, and nearly half the time Juno shows it as "winmail.dat," which it won't open, so I forward it to Gmail or Outlook where I think only once or twice either of them had the same "winmail.dat" problem. Juno has no idea why their site does this so often.

More recently, my Inbox insists on displaying a random queue of emails scrambled chaotically over the years rather than the most current ones. I have to select manually the "date/time" display option with newest first, and there seems to be no option to keep that locked in as the setting, so at least once a day I have to manually reconfigure my Juno inbox. None of my other emails has ever done this.

Juno's tech advice was to remove all my shortcuts from my Firefox and Chrome browsers! I have to say that my little-used IE browser has no add-on bar, and I didn't experience this queue chaos with IE, but why should I have to give up the convenience of shortcut add-ons for favorite sites, or stick to IE just to have a basic email function-most recent emails- work properly? I am reluctant to ditch Juno given all the contacts I have accumulated over the past 20 years with that email who would need to be redirected. Has anyone else dealt with either of these ongoing problems?

Original review: July 29, 2015

Juno email is terrible. It keeps on crashing. Whether I use Google Chrome or IE, it loads up to 7 copies for all its advertising. As soon as I find a way to get all my emails off Juno, I'm switching to gmail.

Original review: July 15, 2015

Are folks aware that Juno uses IE Explorer six or seven? When one goes on the Internet, they are advised that their browser is outdated & to upgrade? I am very satisfied with their features. I like the way they handle folders.

Original review: June 23, 2015

I have used Juno for email with no problems for 14 years now, except that it is still very slow. I know that the issue is not with my state of the art computer, as everything else on the net is super fast to load. I use the free service, so I can understand that there are no perks with that. But with the modern day technologies, shouldn't Juno at least be as fast as every other website or email service?

Original review: June 3, 2015

I have only had the FREE email since 2001. I was worried when I had to go to the web to be only able to pull up my email a few years ago. It is still free and I can access it when I am out of the country or just out of town. Yes I do get a lot of advertising in the background, but it is free. Yes it does limit me in how much I can store, but it is free. I still use this one for my close friends and family due to I've had it for so many years. But for my professional email I pay for it thru a modern up to date company. Juno does not have any bells or whistles BUT IT'S free and has been great! By the other reviews I am glad I never upgraded.

Juno expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Both Juno and NetZero are owned by United Online, which also operates some of the smaller ISPs like BlueLight. Juno offers the same free Internet access as NetZero, and it has dial-up lines in 8,000 cities across North America.

• Faster browsing: Recent technology updates allow customers to browse faster with only slightly lower resolution of downloaded images.
    • Access in more places: Juno is another provider that brings Internet access to some of the most remote regions in the United States and Canada.
    • Low cost: Like its sister ISP NetZero, this is a very low cost option with quick set up times and no installation required for its dialup plans.
    • Best for: People in remote areas, those who want low-cost access and those who want dial-up services.
    Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs