Web.com

Compare Web Hosting

Research top Web Hosting recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Will not cancel account over email, tells you that you must call, sit on hold for a hour, never get to anyone, cannot cancel website that is month to month. Stop payment on card, continues to leave website up in a attempt to force you to pay even more when you have not paid. Going to seek attorney advice.

Web.com is the biggest RIP OFF PASS THE BUCK host we have ever dealt with. First they bill us 135.00 per month for hosting package with help any time which includes SEO services. We never received one lead in 12 months!!! Then we switch to do it yourself and they inform us the website has to be taken down, copied to cd then reloaded. We get the cd, we call and they say, "Oh no. We have a copy of your website!" We PAY to have the site RESUBMITTED then go thru the request quote for only to find out the form is: 1) Incorrect when it comes thru. 2) The required fields do not work. The website has old color charts. Now on the phone for 50 minutes. Passing the buck to the 7th person. DO NOT GET A WEBSITE OR HOSTING WITH WEB.COM. THEY ARE TRULY INCOMPETENT.

Horrible quality and service. Our experience with Web.com was such a letdown. Our 3 account managers, Christine **, Reylyn ** and Nathaniel ** treated us so unprofessionally and we were astonished by how they ignored our requests and failed to help us even after countless promises. Look elsewhere for web design and marketing! Make sure the people managing your account are dedicated to giving you the best service, especially if you are paying for it!

Total fraud! I was promised a new website developed, more internet traffic and 4 years of domain name if I paid $99.95 for 3 months. When I now look at my website (6 months later) some plumber website comes up and I can't find my old website or domain name anywhere. I've got a billboard sign up with that website and passed out business cards all over town. Those plumbers should be getting some calls. I tried contacting web.com for 2 weeks and finally someone reimbursed 1 month charge but I have 6 month charges of $99.95 cause I gave them my card. I don't know what to do but try that AMEX FRAUD I guess. This has been such a waste of time and a lot of money.

I feel they're like all I've tried, average, no outstanding quality. None of them have established better than fair capabilities with any of us consumer needs from privacy, protection, storage, search engines etc.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Web.com?

This company offers "Free Website development", which should have been a warning because NOTHING with this company is free or even correct. We told them up-front that we were not open for business and waiting for our building to be built and all of the business licenses and permits required. They said "No Problem, we will design the website to meet your approval and will not publish or charge you anything until you open for business."

WHAT THEY DID: Web.com created a totally "FAKE WEBSITE" using our name, and "stock pictures" of products that we do not even sell! We are an antique and art company and they started posting all sorts of bogus pictures of products that we don't even sell such as automobiles, paintings that we don't own, antique furniture that is not ours. As a result, we have had numerous bad reviews from would-be customers and we aren't even open yet!

FRAUD: I made the mistake of giving Web.com my American Express card number and they charged $3100.00 in fictitious charges NONE OF WHICH I SIGNED FOR OR AGREED TO. This matter has been turned over to AMEX FRAUD and their account has been suspended with me. My next step will to file an inquiry the Attorney General's Office on a State and Federal Level. Beware and be careful.

Had a website built and hosted there for years... lots of history. These people have no problem in wiping out years of work in an instant by just simply deleting your web pages without notice or warning. Much of it was unrecoverable simply because we trusted them... NEVER AGAIN! Just closed up our website and gave up...

I wanted to start my own website. I am a writer. Web.com advertises that you can get one for $10 a month. So, I signed up for it. This was about five months ago. If I thought there were going to be other charges, I wouldn't have signed up for it. If I thought it was going to be hidden fees, I wouldn't have signed up. It was only supposed to be $10 a month. But recently, while checking my online banking I came across more than one charge in the same month. So, I went all the way back to August and checked if the same thing had happened in other months. I found out that there have been repeated multiple withdrawals from my bank account since at least August. And the sum total for all of the months' withdrawals added together is a grand total of $322.65. It should have cost me $10 a month. Instead, I was charged over $60 a month.

Someone at Web.com needs to be held accountable for what they have put me and their other clients through these last 2 1/2 weeks. I have lost thousands of dollars in business in what is my busiest month of the year. I'm not sure why you did not plan the move in January or February when nothing is going on on the Internet. This was poor planning and the way that the plan was executed was one of the biggest debacles I have ever been involved with. You are losing a 10 year customer. I can no longer trust you. Know what you are doing Mr. or Mrs. CEO. I see your commercial on TV (Web.com) and want to warn everybody. Don't do it.

July 5, 2001 - I submitted an order with Interland to register the domain pizzapit.com. This order was placed after I had verified through networksolutions.com that the domain was available for registration. Interland charged me for services and assured me that the domain would be registered.

July 6, 2001 - From the networksolutions.com site, I verified that pizzapit.com was open for registration. I called Interland to reverify that the domain had been registered by Interland and was assured to that effect.

July 7, 2001 - From the networksolutions.com site, I verified that pizzapit.com was open for registration. July 8, 2001 - From the networksolutions.com site, I verified that pizzapit.com was open for registration, I initiated a trouble ticket with Interland, Inc.

July 8, 2001 6:40AM - another individual registered the domain name. Verified with that individual.

July 10, 2001 - Attempted to determine the status of the issue via e-mail to Larry Lee who stated that Interland's Domain Administration was looking into the issue. I reiterated the request for information about what specifically was being done to rectify the issue.

July 11, 2001 - Larry Lee stated that I would be contacted once he was contacted by Domain Administration. July 12, 2001 - Inquiry about the status of the problem, no reply.

July 13, 2001 - Inquiry about the status of the problem, no reply.

July 16, 2001 - Discovered through Interland's website all trouble tickets had been closed. No direct replies from Interland. Interlands resolution from the website was to the effect that the domain was not available, the order had not been processed and suggested other domain names.

July 17, 2001 - Received a forwarded e-mail from Larry Lee, (no comments from Larry). E-mail author suggested that I purchase the domain directly from the third party.

July 18, 2001 - Spoke to an agent at Network Solutions (InterNic), who stated that the domain name in question was open for registration from June 25, 2001 until July 8, 2001

July 18-23, 2001 - Attempted multiple times via e-mail to work towards resolution of this issue. I proposed desired solutions. No replies to my proposals.

July 23, 2001 - Purchased the domain name in question from the 3rd party for $500.

July 24, 2001 - Received an e-mail from Ken Gavranovic which stated that Interland cannot be held responsible for registration timing issues. Following e-mail correspondance with Ken Gavranovic led to a refusal to my requests (except refund of registration fee, $78) and statement to the effect of good luck finding another company that will tolerate you. My desired settlement with Interland called for refund of the charges billed to me for services not rendered, $500 to cover the actual costs of purchasing the domain name from the 3rd party, and refund of any outstanding service or credits following the transfer of services to another provider.

I hold Interland completely responsible for this issue and find them unwilling to work with me towards a solution. They are unwilling to accept any fault in this issue, despite being presented evidence supportive and demonstrative of fault. They have failed to register another domain name for me in the past and have overbilled me for services. I have full documentation, e-mail and written phone logs, of all events in the case(s) described above.

I have lost my reputation of being an efficient consultant who delivers what is promised. I have lost $500 in the purchase of the domain name from a third party and will lose approximately $1000+ in the transfer of services to another provider. I have been suffering extreme stress during the past three weeks as a result of this issue and have spent many billable hours attempting to contact Interland and solve this problem before and after it became a severe problem.

My company has been hosted by Interland for about a year now, with 2 sites up for the moment. It has been, to say the least, a struggle. In the last 6 months, we've had 6 representatives, each one worse than the one before. We've have 7 days of total or partial down time in the last two weeks - with virtually no explanation.

Our mail servers are out of contact at least 3 hours a day, intermittently. Their technical support personnel are pleasant enough, with a few notable exceptions, but they know about enough to send a caller to the next level of support ... who then knows enough to send callers to the next level of support ... get the picture?

My (latest) representative, Jason, will not return phone calls or e-mails. Lately, my messages have become increasingly hostile, so I guess he'll hand me off to the next unqualified rep to jerk us around.

Subscribers to our site have been treated to 504 NOT FOUND errors for long enough. I have enough to do for a living - now I get to transfer our web sites to a new location, wasting more of our time and money. We recently began setting up a subscription service to our on-line magazine, and we cannot charge for it yet, because we must first find a new hosting service.

An update to my earlier post: Hoorah! I finally recieved a response from Interland! It is so typical, I just had to share it.

This is from my rep, Jason:

"If you would like to cancel this account you would just need to let the billing department know the exact date you want the account terminated. The account will continue to run until they are notified by you regarding the cancellation. I am not sure what problems you are having but I would recommend directing all tech related issues to the tech support department. We can handle some issues on the sales floor but do not have the means to fix most technical issues."

Pardon me: when I ask for help, I get no answer, no comment, no phone call, no e-mail, not a peep. I mention I am disgusted and considering leaving? BOOM! In fifteen minutes I get detailed, explicit instructions on how to LEAVE THE SERVICE.

Now THAT's what I call a speedy response and great customer service. At least it simplifies my escape...

Still, I guess I'm glad we got to this point now, before we entered into more business with these people.

I signed up as a reseller and gave them about 15 sites to start, and added more shortly thereafter. The service and reliability is AWFUL. Sites are frequently down, my email goes down, and their tech support is incompetent.

I have to spend extensive time calling tech support, which is a big waste of time and money. Email outages cause severe embarrassment for an Internet marketing company, in addition to loss of credibility. They refuse to give me a refund, and I have signed up many of the sites for two-year periods.

I signed up for two years of Web hosting service with Interland.com. The service was horrible, with the Web site being out for over a week at a time. After six months, I cancelled the account and asked for a credit for the remaining year and a half I paid (almost $600). Interland refused, and refunded only $115 -- cheating me out of almost $500.

This cost me not only $500 plus lost business but also made my company look bad (because my web site wasn't working for months).
I prepaid for a full year of internet services. The service was not good, so I asked to cancel the remaining 7 months and get a refund on the balance due. This request was refused. I was overcharged about $300.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Web.com is a Jacksonville-based Web service company that focuses on meeting the needs of businesses. The company was founded in 1997 and has about 3.3 million subscribers.

• Development services: Designers at Web.com will create custom sites that include monthly updates to keep pages fresh.
  • Marketing services: Web.com provides a range of marketing services to help websites find larger audiences and boost traffic. Services focus on Facebook, SEO, pay-per-click campaigns and local optimization.
  • Dedicated marketing: Clients can choose to have Web.com's professionals give them advice and additional marketing services catered to match their unique needs.
  • ReputationAlert: ReputationAlert notifies clients when positive and negative comments are made about them. It scours thousands of social media platforms, blogs and news sites to make sure clients have comprehensive views of their online reputations.
  • E-commerce tools: E-commerce features from Web.com include store management tools, professional designs and secure payment options that protect sellers and buyers.
  • Best for Businesses that want to improve their online reach, companies that need e-commerce tools and new businesses that have little website design experience.

Compare Website Builders