1.62/5

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

79 Dashlane Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

I used Dashlane for the last 10 months with a Dashlane Premium account across my phone and 2 computers, one of which was my work laptop. My work laptop, I will admit, is behind when it comes to versions of OS X and could use an update. However, that is out of my control and it isn't THAT far behind. I loved Dashlane until recently a new update to Dashlane dropped support for the version of OS X I had on my work laptop.

Here's my problem with that. For the last 10 months Dashlane has been storing my passwords and personal data, and even generating the passwords for me. It was great, but now 1 day they've just decided to limit my access to that data on one machine. I paid for a year of Dashlane Premium, but can no longer take advantage of it as I did. The issue here is that I paid for a year of subscription and Dashlane has not held up to supporting my machine for that year. The second and more important issue is that Dashlane has collected my data and then restricted my access to that data. This is completely unfair. A company like Dashlane should be built on a reputation of trust and they clearly broke that trust here.

I contacted support to see if there was a way I could get an older version of the extension and obviously they wanted no part in that and wanted everyone on the new version. I asked for a refund on my last 2 months of Premium as I could no longer sync across all my devices and would like to go to a competing service. I got nowhere with support. After 3 days of talks with support I got escalated to Tier 2 support. After 2 weeks (!!!) I finally got a response that just repeated that the refund period was 30 days. Again, I can't give my personal data to a company with a support team that is so unresponsive.

It's not about the $17 I would like back, it's about the integrity of Dashlane. Any company that asks to hold personal data of any kind should be held to a high standard. They are setting a high bar. Dashlane can keep my $17, it's a small price to pay to find out this company isn't trustworthy, I'm glad I found out now and my data is safe, and I can remove and move it before an actual issue occurs and I need to rely on Dashlane for anything.

Original review: July 26, 2018

Have been using Dashlane premium for a couple of weeks on two systems. Passwords are properly synced between the two. One oddity: your Dashlane account ID is your password when you sign up for Dashlane. If your email address ever changes, there's no way to change your Dashlane ID. You can change the email address that they send notifications to, but not your ID. Seems a bit shortsighted.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: July 26, 2018

I just paid $99.99 to renew this program, only because I can't afford to lose all of my password data. I have come to loathe this program. When I complained to Dashlane very recently, they wrote back "Maybe the problem is because you use Dashlane on more than one device"! Duh! I want syncing between my phone and laptop and PC, isn't that what they promise?

Why does Dashlane ask if I want to save a password when it just signed me in? Why, when I delete a password on Dashlane in order to get a clean slate and start over, does it remember my old password and interfere in my process? Why does Dashlane not work at all on some sites? Why do I have to copy my own password from Dashlane in order to log into a site? Why do I find multiple listings of the same site in Dashlane on so many different sites? I am getting rid of this program as soon as possible. I used to like it, but the longer I have it the more I dislike it because the performance has deteriorated over time. :(

Original review: July 22, 2018

App logs you out of all your accounts. As the major ones have two factor authentication enabled, using Dashlane will force you to use it every time. That means having to take out my mobile and load up the app and enter the new code. This is a real annoyance. I'm happy for my browser to remember once and not have to re-log in every single time. Sure, I know it's secure, but the point of a password manager is to make things quicker and more convenient, right? As everything important already had an extra layer of protection, I don't feel Dashlane adds anything useful at all.

Original review: July 14, 2018

Not sure why a lot of 1 stars are throwing such things around, however they must have some sort of problems I cannot figure out from here. I also did take the ratings Dashlane had and still has, since then the product has exceeded some expectations. I thought it might slightly disappoint, but it has worked perfectly and I had to use support once. Support was no hassle and quick. The only issue I have and this may be for all PW management software is using logins for web hosts that use WordPress.

Logins are many and the PW manager may not know the exact time to throw a login since the links are different when one changes any PWs. Dashlane allows me to edit them all to keep them organized, however, due to the nature of sites out there and how they all do PW changes differently by link/screens, this is the only issue, and it rarely causes any real problem. No issues here, sorry to see others do, the ratings I saw DO hold up. I use W10 and it also works on my Samsung S7 Edge. Syncing works, but sometimes the PW manager does not trigger, again, probably due to links being different on specific functions. I suggest Dashlane could upgrade the design to work beyond just hyperlinks to trigger or allow multiple links per login.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dashlane ?

Original review: July 7, 2018

I very much regret paying for this crapware. I WILL NOT re-login every few days, that's BS. How can they charge $40 a year and offer zero support??? I use very long complicated password and do not want to have to write it down and keep it nearby or have it constantly available in a text document. This is why I bought software to remember passwords and NOT to have to re-login to the software itself all the time. Very, very poor software. I will have to cancel it before the membership is up. I feel extremely ripped off. Had I know or had any idea that it cannot and will not save my master password on the same computer but for 14 days I would never have bought it. That for me is a deal breaker, but what's even worse is they offer no support whatsoever. Too expensive to not have any support.

Original review: July 2, 2018

I wanted to like this program, but I was unable to import all my info from LastPass. The information provided by Dashlane did not work. I have tried to use their help page some 10 times and it doesn't work. Terrible customer service. I will not use the program nor waste any more time with it.

Original review: June 19, 2018

Doesn't work 60% of the time. Why does Dashlane have 5 star reviews in computer magazines, and 1 star reviews elsewhere? I don't understand. My own experience has been pretty dismal -- it just randomly works or doesn't work; sometimes going to the app and copying passwords manually helps, sometimes those passwords have just not been updated. I don't recommend it.

Resolution response: June 16, 2018

The company was responsive in this case and provided me a full refund. Based on the customer service response I have updated my star-rating from one to two stars.

Original review: June 12, 2018

After only 3 months of using this product as a Premium member my password database was erroneously deleted (or corrupted) on both my computer and the cloud. The response received from Dashlane support included, "Thank you for your message. You should not have lost your data this way. We are investigating the cause of this data loss," followed by, "Unfortunately, after more investigation, my software engineer colleague was not able to find why your data got erased and could also not recover it. As a compensation for the loss of your data, we offered you 6-month of Premium for free." I am now attempting to obtain a refund as 6-months of free service does me no good as I do not intend on wasting my time rebuilding my password database only to have it susceptible to accidental deletions.

Original review: June 8, 2018

Very frustrating that I signed up yesterday and they double billed me. When I went on website to search for contact info was disappointed in how hard or impossible it is to contact Dashlane to resolve the issue.

Original review: May 7, 2018

I bought Dashlane because of the stellar reviews by PC Magazine. Then discovered with the first failing of the product that support was unsatisfactory as it was difficult to use and the cut and paste capabilities which I had to figure out for myself were horrible to get the application to work. I tried using other password managers but there was no way to efficiently transfer the larger number of passwords I had to move over. Finally when after months of research I located a product which met my expectations fully. I researched not only the operation of that product but how the service product has been reported on the internet. I checked for ripoff reports and found favorable reviews from the user community.

The user community for the Dashlane product regarding service and use is horrible. Dashlane rates in the low 2.5 stars. There are numerous complaints about the failure rates of Dashlane and I'm just another user in that group. It's not just the lack of support, it's the failure of Dashlane to work consistently as a web extension (it stopped working on and off on a daily basis). I had to open up the extension and copy the user ID and Password into the fields and click on the login button manually. Dashlane had stopped working autofill and support was non-existent. I gave up on trying to find a solution other than looking for another product. On the phone app, I have to copy and paste the PW into the app, because there is no process for 2FA and fingerprint entry in your app. In short, the Dashlane for the price lacks the technology I required. And there have been hacks and compromised passwords too.

For so many reasons I felt Dashlane was inadequate and presented a cybersecurity risk as a password manager was more of a risk than an aid and the cost was outrageous. I didn't get any value for it and I felt I got ripped off. When I asked for a refund the company refused. As a Cybersecurity Coach and Cybersecurity Professional, I highly advise against using Dashlane PW Manager. In fact, any PW manager doesn't fully protect anyone from a cyber threat. It is recommended that any PW manager that is selected be fully researched by a competent cybersecurity consultant, or at least research the reviews other than PC Magazine. Look at the forums and complaints on consumer boards like this for both high and low reviews. All anyone needs to do is to enter a search for reviews on the topic you are looking for information including ripoff reports". Be careful.

Original review: April 13, 2018

I purchased Dashlane from Dashlane.com last year but stopped using it when the program became more effort than I wanted to give to it. I saw an automatic renewal charge on my credit card bill. I found their website confusing as well in trying to get this rectified. I finally was able to register a complaint and a request for a refund. A very nice lady emailed me and resolved everything. I should receive a full refund in 2 -3 weeks. High marks for resolving the problem and low marks for the difficulty in reaching someone.

Original review: March 19, 2018

I have tried in vain to learn more from Dashlane. From chats, to email instructions, videos, you name it. I had six employees sit with me for a chat for the company use. I have premium. We all piled into my office, the person appointed to work with me was 30 minutes late, once we started the chat, we had to wait for responses as I assume he was also working with other customers, and in the end, we were amazed at how bad the chat was. We could not believe the horrid service. We learned nothing, and it took forever to go back and forth. We needed to get back to work, so we just ended the chat. One of my employees is very tech savvy, and he just shook his head and laughed when he left my office. Shame they don't monitor their reviews.

Original review: March 19, 2018

I have for a year tried to get help from Dashlane. They have no Chat nor do they have a phone to call. They will not refund me nor will they give me any instructions to solve the situation. It will not log my information consistently. Mostly it does not work at all.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2018

Dashlane will not capture my log in information to Twitter. This has been a recurring problem with just about every app on my iPad. I am sure there is a workaround but it will be a pain and will take a lot of my time. I signed up for premium because I want the full functionality. I am afraid that I have been duped and wasted my money. I will be looking for another password manager.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

Have been a premium customer 3 years. Very good in features and syncing ability. Have had a few problems along the way which were addressed via email instructions. However 6 weeks ago I requested help with a multitude of ongoing issues on 2 of my devices, but the first response was a generic one 5 days later (not 24 hours). No further follow up as promised so replied with same detailed questions, same response and my same reply... 3 times. A good product does not outweigh that product that doesn't work and with no support. Service is the most important element in business, and I am done. It really is a shame.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I've been a paid subscriber of Dashlane for a year now and it has been a nightmare. Dashlane has been unreliable. New versions and updates have left me stranded and without a way to access my passwords. Not realizing my paid year was coming to an end, Dashlane literally held my passwords hostage and forced me to pay another $40 ($80 in total for 2 years) in order to get them out of Dashlane and safely into another app. Dashlane customer support is a complete joke that will leave you literally hanging, waiting for a response.

Then guess what? No response ever comes. With so many customers always complaining they installed a new email you can write to. VIP@Dashlane.com. Guess what sort of response you get from them? NONE. The regular customer support sends out autoresponders. Numerous submittals to the email provided to paid members for customer service, Response he VIP sends out nothing ---- at all. No confirmation. No Nothing. My best advice for you would be Don't Do Dashlane!!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

I have used password managers in the past and would never use one that saved any information of mine in the 'Cloud'. That being said, I have noticed that the default installation method for several other programs, one of them being some sort of tool or update from Intel (?), stealthily installed Dashlane by default. When I found Dashlane on my computer, I immediately used a heavy duty program (IObit Uninstaller) to remove any trace of Dashlane from my system.

IMHO, any company that wants to, needs to, or does try to surreptitiously install its software during the installation of some software (application, driver, utility, etc.) that has nothing to do with the program being stealthily installed is NOT to be trusted. There are a lot of good password managers available which are recommended or written by some of the top, very well-known security experts in the industry, and several are free and/or OpenSource. One of those is what I would choose to use for password management.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

In Nov of 2017, Dashlane did an upgrade on their product (Password Manager). I downloaded and used the free version. I adored the options and extra areas where I could make notations and refer back when needed. I pride myself on keeping my clientele information secure, but after an upgrade, the password to login booted me out. After contacting their so-called CS, John and Gabrielle made me jump through hoops like a trained circus dog, and after almost 3 months and multiple logs and "Try this" or "do this" I am fed up with this product. I won't refer, nor will I continue to use this should they fix it.

Meanwhile, I have lost over 15 years of accumulated information that I can not retrieve, despite their "external backup" option on their Premium account. After a year of using this product, I am livid and hope others avoid this massive loss should they consider it. Dashlane, you are a hideous disappointment and until you get your act together, I can't even think that you deserve one star. I have never dealt with such ignorance and lack of "care" from a company for a client than this mess.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2017

I'm done with Dashlane. After installing & synchronizing with my PCs & browser, I had immediate difficulties logging in to my Yahoo email acct. I never had login issues with Yahoo prior to using Dashlane. Thank God I didn't install it in my phone; Otherwise, I would not have been able to login into my Yahoo at all, which I use to communicate with my lawyer & doctor's office. Dashlane screwed up my ability to login into my online bank acct as well. I had to call my bank to reset the PW. Terrible experience! I used the 30 day trial & am glad I didn't purchase their subscription. Communication through Dashlane is a JOKE. I do not have an order number.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2017

Even though it's easy to get hooked on the convenience Dashlane is a nightmare waiting to happen in that on 3 occasions I've found myself locked out of my accounts by the systems failures. When this happens you are on your own. Support was several days coming and when it did it come it was in language not intended for an average consumer like me but for a serious techie. In fact my friend who is did not understand what they were trying communicate. In addition it has taken up 80% of my computer's storage just to operate. In short I've had to purchase another computer as a result of its usage. I will not install it in the new computer I now have install.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

Two experiences - First, I have complained to the company for nearly three months that their password extension for iOS was no longer working - the extension would open and abruptly close. After numerous emails, initial support said that they were referring the issue to second level support. After nearly three weeks, I have had no contact with second level support. On November 14th, I contacted Dashlane again via their Facebook page. I explained the situation yet again - response was that they would escalate the issue to second level support - I still have not had any contact from this phantom second level support.

Second Issue is a very serious software issue - (using Windows 10) - Why is Dashlane changing what I enter? For some reason your programmers have decided that a "" translates to ">" I first saw this in the title of a note that I created in 1Password which in turn was copied to LastPass (correctly) and subsequently transferred to Dashlane (mutilated as shown). I changed the note title and didn't give it another thought. This morning I attempted to log into a website and received a message that my password was incorrect. I looked at the password in Dashlane and compared it to what was in 1Password - this is what I saw - 1Password: kYNh - Dashlane: kYN>h. I expected that I would be able to copy the correct password into Dashlane and all would be alright. After copying the password, I once again attempted to log into the website and again I received the message that my password was incorrect.

I reviewed the password in Dashlane and discovered that the password was once again mutilated. This is a situation that is completely unacceptable and completely inexcusable. How did a glaring error such as this ever make it past your programmers. I have reported other issues that remain unresolved with absolutely no contact from support, but this issue needs to be rectified immediately. This makes your software totally unreliable and totally unusable. Despite the very serious nature of this issue, I have not received a single contact from Dashlane support other than an automated response that support would be in contact with me. Bottom line - Dashlane support is virtually nonexistence. This is a company that the warning "Buyer Beware" is definitely appropriate.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2017

I am a premium member of Dashlane and can't believe their almost non-existent services. I changed email address and did so in my account and it's been over a week and no word from them about why I can't access my account. I have repeated problems of not hearing back from them for days and with no resolution still. It doesn't always launch or auto-fill, etc. All basic stuff. Several family members have this service and find it so frustrating. We will all be canceling the services.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

Dashlane worked great for a couple years. Then the wheels fell off. App would stop working and would have to uninstall and reinstall. Would hate to guess how many times for this process in last few months. Two weeks ago stopped altogether and cannot reinstall. Too many other issues to list. Next I paid for a Premium membership for "faster" customer service. A joke. Waiting days for an email response that usually is not much more than a copy/paste of troubleshooting suggestions from the site. Already tried those! I wish it could be fixed because it's a dream when it's working.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I've been using Dashlane Premium (Dashlane Version 4.9.0) for about a year. I have a background in software development and can imagine what a difficult task they have set themselves to accomplish. So I've been pretty patient. Sometimes, on some websites, it works great! Up until maybe 3 months ago, it seemed to be getting better. But now it is definitely hit or miss. It is often saving different passwords for the same site - compare the one in the password history to the one you can see when you 'edit item'. Their support team seems to be doing their best - pretty fast responses - but it is frustrating and definitely slows the process to not be able speak to a support person. Much of the time the support response advises one to reinstall Dashlane. I'm about ready to walk away from it.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

Dashlane was squirly to work with at first, but I got used to it. Now it's a royal pain in the ** and has completely stopped working. The company pushed a SW update a couple of weeks ago and it broke the application. Whatever they did has broken the password manager's ability to autofill and pull up the password's information. I've tried to troubleshoot it every way I could including an uninstall and reinstall. The only thing I can do now is uninstalled it and call it quits. Cut my losses and never look back. This is what I call a bad break up. Don't ever use this product as you'll be sorely disappointed with the absence of customer support from this company. I think they run on autopilot and I have no idea why or how they are getting the high marks from PC magazine because they suck!

I suggest reviewing and testing or looking for qualified reviews of other password managers before jumping to another one. Also when you quit Dashlane, make sure you export your password list to a CVS file and clean it up first by reviewing the list because the fields don't necessarily transfer the data completely. After you clean up all the fields so they match what you see in the Dashlane Application save an additional comma delimited file to another name so you can use that to import into the new password manager.

Also, try to locate a company that has a reputation for good technical support, if they don't then walk away. It's not worth your time and money to pay for a company that doesn't offer decent customer support that will reliably contact you when a technical issue presents. Dashlane has not answered that call and price point isn't worth keeping them as a product. For that reason I'm out.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I no longer have access to the email address I originally signed up with as we have a different internet provider. I have to go through hoops to get help even after explaining what happened. Need to reinstall app on my phone and emailed them yesterday for help.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

Downloaded this app after reading reviews from Tech blogs recommending it amongst the top 2. Who has the ability to remember 100 different passwords and the ability to update them regularly? I took advantage of the app’s ability to generate a secure alphanumeric password for all my logins that hold sensitive information (Banking, Facebook, Google, etc.) Unfortunately for me, on two occasions now I have been locked out and my master password fail to be approved. The first occasion I was unable to log in for about 6 hours before I attempted one last time and et voila it worked.

I thought this may have been a one off or me getting the case sensitivity wrong but again a few days later it took me 20 minutes of repeatedly inputting my password for it to finally log me in. With the inability to retrieve password information and the "forgotten password" option effectively wiping all of your locked and encrypted data, this app is just far too buggy to be trusted with your most precious information. I will now start moving my information to LastPass as it seems to have similar reviews (minus the password issues).

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

Software does not do what it says it can do. Insecure desktop display of sensitive data. Dashlane forces a screen display on startup which shows sensitive data including credit card information and passwords associated with various websites. Assigns the wrong email to passwords, consistently. Attempts to autofill any field on the screen. Most problematic when viewing data forms containing my own clients' data. Every time any form appears on any screen, Dashlane tries to replace what's already there with my own data. It can't be "taught" not to do this. A single miskey and I've obliterated the existing form data, which when it occurred, was not recoverable.

Dashlane interrupts all logins and use of all forms with obtrusive popups, while also auto defaulting to and prominently displaying incorrect information. Obtrusive popup offering incorrect data has to be clicked out of the way over and over and over again. Dashlane is unable to differentiate between logins; if on Google1 page, it still tries to use Google2 id and this cannot be corrected. Saved credit card information in Dashlane can't be used to make any purchases because Dashlane's automatic input into purchase fields occurs incorrectly. So, the credit card transaction has to be input manually anyway. It has not ever performed this service correctly for me.

Warning to others: Dashlane states cancellation information in its Terms of Service, but the page offered to cancel leads to a Page Not Found. Slow, irrelevant support. 7 Days to respond to my concern about insecure data. Their final instructions were to utilize a feature of their software that does not exist! Dashlane has refused to refund. Features of the program and its interface are not intuitive, so using Dashlane is confusing. While prominently displaying insecure data on Desktop, Dashlane simultaneously forces re log-in at each restart and update/shut down. Thus, even though I am not logged out, and my information is insecurely, Dashlane has another obtrusive popup.

Original review: June 24, 2017

I was out of the country for three weeks and when I came home my master password was no longer being recognized. I corresponded with Ralphie who told me that an update that occurred while I was gone probably had negated my password. I had NOT forgotten it. Ralphie told me to delete Dashlane and then re-install. When I had to do that, I was going to have to deal with another tech support person. I have not had any contact with a real person in two days and now all of my passwords have been erased, including those generated by Dashlane. I have written to ask for a refund and cancellation and I am getting no response whatsoever. They are extremely poor in customer service. Do NOT use them if you have an issue.

Dashlane Company Information