Fast Free Quotes

Compare Rates
  2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.19/5

Wawanesa Insurance offers auto, home, renters and condo insurance to clients in Canada, Oregon and California. Wawanesa is not an official carrier with InsuraMatch, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. Speak with an InsuraMatch representative for free quotes from multiple providers today.

BOTTOM LINE

Many reviewers have been with Progressive for more than 10 years.

PROS

• Competitive, low rates
  • Available nationwide
  • Offers accident forgiveness in many cases
  • Can file online or by phone

CONS

• Some customers find the website difficult to navigate
  • Rate increases can vary

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

Wawanesa Auto Insurance Reviews

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

Wawanesa Insurance was recommended to me by a friend in the Insurance business around 18 years back. I have had Automobile coverage with them since then. All these years, I would simply pay the premium and hope I never have to make a claim (against any insurance company :)). While Low rates get you in the door, it is critical to know how an insurance company handles your claim, when and if it happens. In the past few years, I made a couple of roadside assistance claims. Handled promptly and well, and I was on my merry way each time in a timely fashion.

Recently, I had an accident. Everyone from the person who took my report over the phone and helped me with a tow to the team of claims adjusters both internal (repairs to my car) and external (to the other vehicle), were kind, gentle, sensitive, professional and helpful. It really helped calm me down from the day of the accident to the weeks the claims were settled. They communicated with me regularly, responded promptly, and provided me with updates. The claims adjuster asked me to describe what happened, and I did. Based on our conversations, he said, "We would accept liability for the accident (I was making a left turn)." He handled the issue completely and promptly settled with the other party. I just had to respond to some forms and information.

My car: I dropped off my damaged vehicle at a Wawanesa approved repair facility. I made it clear to the repair facility, that I would very much like the car to be fixed, rather than totalled. The repair estimate showed me that it was high enough to go either way. Never had to follow up with the Wawanesa group about my car. The repair place also provided regular updates via e-mail. On the agreed date, I went to the shop, and my car was repaired, and it is as it was before the fender bender.

My Rates: For 17 years with a great driving record, my rates were really low. They did go up some as time went on, reflecting the cost of the insurance business. Now, after the accident, my rate has gone up, but not too much. They are still affordable, and I believe less than rates offered by most other insurance companies for a clean driving record. So very happy with Wawanesa (especially in my time of need). I hope I can keep paying them by continuing to be a customer, but not have to make a claim again.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi La, thank you so much for sharing your experience and for being a longtime policyholder. We're so glad that our team has always taken excellent care of you, especially during the claim as it can be a stressful time for anyone. We look forward to servicing you for many more years to come.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

We have been insured with Wawanesa for 23 years. For the 1st time we filed a claim due to my hitting our garage post. Everybody from Shelby ** to Darren ** and the entire Claim Service Team were soooo helpful and understanding. We were kept appraised of every action including car rental coverage. We chose our own auto collision center to repair the damage and are very happy with the results. Thank you Wawanesa for allowing the car not to be a total loss.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi T, thank you for sharing your positive experience from our claims team. We look forward to many more years of providing you with great service when you need us most.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

Well I never really had any issues and we've been with them for 10 years now. They're pricing is affordable if you have a good driving record and the coverage is certainly sufficient. I don't like that their customer service hours are limited, and that they only have a San Diego office (probably because they're Canadian based). With that said, if you've got a good driving record I would recommend you give them a shot.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Nick, thank you for your many years of loyalty! Our agents are currently available Monday-Friday from 7:30am to 7:30pm and Saturday from 8:00am to 4:30pm and we've also made improvements to our website and introduced our new online Account Management Portal so that policyholders can access their information 24/7. We certainly want to be there to support our policyholders when they need us. We appreciate your feedback and are planning to expand our hours in the near future.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Long time customer (like 30 years). Wawanesa has always been good to me. Like others I dislike the 6 month pay program. And I can see how sending a pic of damage to a car could cause some confusion in assessing a correct amount to cover the damage. But other than those two policies I've found Wawanesa to be prompt in coverage of damages and amounts to cover the damage more than enough. My personal experience on the few mishaps I've had is that once contacted they've had an adjuster come to my house within a couple days and once written up I've had a check in my mailbox within 10 days thereafter made out to me. And me alone so I'm free to pick whoever I want to fix the damage.

From my experience I'm really surprised to see these negative posts. But I'd be willing to guess that if you were to research ANY insurance company you'd find some site where people are posting bad reviews. I've stayed on top of researching rates every year and I can't imagine as one poster here stated that they got a 600 dollar cheaper rate with another carrier. Usually it's one of my friends that I've referred to Wawanesa that ends up saving 600 bucks. And, for better coverage. Ya, the six month pay period sucks. But it is a little inconvenience for a better policy. Obviously I'm disappointed to read where Wawanesa has fallen down on the job with so many. This site is my first experience hearing anything bad about the company.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Jim, thank you for being a longtime policyholder and for your honest review. We strive to provide our policyholders outstanding service and excellent rates, and will continue to do so as you've experienced first-hand over the past few decades. We encourage you to let us know promptly should you ever feel unsatisfied or have any questions or concerns. Thank you for your business and we gladly look forward to servicing you for another 30 or more years!

Original review: April 4, 2019

Been a policyholder for over 10 years now. No one can come close to beating their rates, and I check yearly. We have 5 drivers on the policy, 3 of which are our sons. When I was hit by a drunk driver and when I was hit by a driver that was texting and driving, my rates never went up, I never got dinged in any way and Wawanesa took care of everything for me and I was never inconvenienced in any way, besides the actual accident itself. I always recommend Wawanesa to everyone, I trust them completely and it's refreshing to deal with an insurance company that doesn't gouge you and takes care of you.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Katherine, thank you for your kind review and your many years of loyalty. We are very happy to hear that we were able to take care of you during such a stressful time and look forward to many more years of providing you with great service!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wawanesa Auto Insurance?

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

I have unfortunately had two claims in the past year for issues in my condo and both times I have been shorted on payouts. The first time, I was advised that if the actual repair work exceeded the original estimate, that I would be compensated for the difference. Instead, I was met with silence after several emails and finally gave up and had to use a cheaper contractor.

On the second claim, which took about 2 months to close due to each phone call and email between me and my adjuster taking 48 hours to answer, I had to remind my adjuster that she missed one item that was damaged after my settlement came. She told me to provide receipts and pictures, which I did. The item in question (a mattress box spring) had already been photographed by the plumber sent by Wawanesa as well as the field adjuster who was sent to view my home, so there was no omitting this item. Again, I'm being met with silence.

It seems that when you have a claim with this company, there is no urgency in solving it and in fact you have to become your own project manager to keep things moving along. I didn't realize I was going to be taking on another full time job simply because I had a claim that wasn't my fault. At any rate, after two times, I think it's time to change providers.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

I’ve had Wawanesa auto insurance for, roughly, 20 years. Zero accidents, zero claims. On our recent renewal our rate increased 20%. Turns out it was because our parked motorcycle (not insured by Wawanesa) fell over and the CHP made a report of it. No damage, no claim, no payout. Just an excuse to raise our rate. We’ve had homeowner’s insurance with Wawanesa for one year. Just learned they’re not renewing because we have a hobby vineyard - not commercial. Lesson learned - I can’t afford cheap insurance. It’s like the airlines. Teaser rates and then look for any excuse to make you bleed. Strongly advise looking elsewhere.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response
    Hi David, we apologize for the frustration you're feeling regarding your policies and would like to have your concerns looked into. Please message us with your best contact number and we can have someone review your policies and reach out directly.

*Update 1/17/20* David, thank you for taking time to speak with our Senior Underwriter today. As discussed, should you wish to continue your auto policy with us, please give our Customer Service team a call.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2019

I have been with Wawanesa for 15+ years. In early 2018, I traded my 2003 Volkswagen for an Infiniti. I called them to switch vehicles and got an addendum that showed the Infiniti. Six months later, my policy renewal still had the Volkswagen. So, I called them again and told them that the Volkswagen was gone and they told me that they never switched the policy back in February so I had to pay more money. I was angry but what was I going to do? Tonight, while checking my policy, I realized that the Volkswagen is still on the policy almost 2 years later! I always thought that the policy increase was because the new car was an Infiniti. But, now I realized it was because they are charging me for 2 cars when I only own 1. I am going to be calling customer service next week. But, I am starting to think that this company has no clue what they are doing. I am seriously thinking about leaving for another insurance company.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Scott, we're sorry to hear about this experience and would like to have your policy reviewed and for a supervisor to reach out to you directly to address your concerns. Please message us your best contact number or you may call a Customer Relations Specialist at 1-877-220-2191 Monday-Friday between 7:30am and 6:30pm to provide your information.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

I was in an accident with someone that has Wawanesa. I was not at fault but now after filling claims with both mine and this insurance they come back to me to tell me that they believe it's my fault even though the police report says totally different. Took them so long that my car is already fixed and I'm going to be suing.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Mason, we would like to have your claim reviewed by a supervisor and to go over your concerns. We kindly ask for you to provide your best contact number and we'll have one reach out to you directly. You may also call in at your own convenience and provide your details to a Relations Specialist at 1-877-220-2191 Monday - Friday between 7:30 AM and 6:30 PM.

Resolution response: Dec. 12, 2019

Wawanesa reached out to me and explained why my rates went up. It turned out there was a violation on my DMV record that was supposed to come off. The person working with me was very helpful and I am changing my ratings to a 5. Once i take care of the violation, Wawanesa will retro the rates back to the original terms.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

A friend referred me to Wawanesa and they were decent. But in the last few years they kept increasing my auto insurance. When I call they always say it's not my record but the number of accidents they had to cover. Lately, they increased it by over $300 and changed my coverage without consent, adding uninsured motorist and changing deductibles. I am not planning on renewing and would NOT recommend Wawanesa.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Hugo, we appreciate your feedback and apologize if you have been impacted by any increased rates in recent years. We'd like to have someone review your policy closely in order to address your concerns. We kindly ask that you message us your best number so that we may reach out to provide assistance regarding this matter.

*Update* Hugo, thank you for speaking with us today and allowing us to clear up any misunderstandings. Please don't hesitate to call if you have any further questions.

Not sure about Wawanesa Auto Insurance?

Take our two minute quiz to find the right car insurance for you.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance Company Information