Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
1.78/5

Wawanesa Auto Insurance

Wawanesa Insurance offers auto, home, renters and condo insurance to clients in Canada, Oregon and California. Wawanesa is not an official carrier with InsuraMatch, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. Speak with an InsuraMatch representative for free quotes from multiple providers today.

BOTTOM LINE

Many reviewers have been with Progressive for more than 10 years.

PROS

• Competitive, low rates
  • Available nationwide
  • Offers accident forgiveness in many cases
  • Can file online or by phone

CONS

• Some customers find the website difficult to navigate
  • Rate increases can vary

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

152 Wawanesa Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 17, 2019

Long time customer (like 30 years). Wawanesa has always been good to me. Like others I dislike the 6 month pay program. And I can see how sending a pic of damage to a car could cause some confusion in assessing a correct amount to cover the damage. But other than those two policies I've found Wawanesa to be prompt in coverage of damages and amounts to cover the damage more than enough. My personal experience on the few mishaps I've had is that once contacted they've had an adjuster come to my house within a couple days and once written up I've had a check in my mailbox within 10 days thereafter made out to me. And me alone so I'm free to pick whoever I want to fix the damage.

From my experience I'm really surprised to see these negative posts. But I'd be willing to guess that if you were to research ANY insurance company you'd find some site where people are posting bad reviews. I've stayed on top of researching rates every year and I can't imagine as one poster here stated that they got a 600 dollar cheaper rate with another carrier. Usually it's one of my friends that I've referred to Wawanesa that ends up saving 600 bucks. And, for better coverage. Ya, the six month pay period sucks. But it is a little inconvenience for a better policy. Obviously I'm disappointed to read where Wawanesa has fallen down on the job with so many. This site is my first experience hearing anything bad about the company.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Jim, thank you for being a longtime policyholder and for your honest review. We strive to provide our policyholders outstanding service and excellent rates, and will continue to do so as you've experienced first-hand over the past few decades. We encourage you to let us know promptly should you ever feel unsatisfied or have any questions or concerns. Thank you for your business and we gladly look forward to servicing you for another 30 or more years!

Original review: April 4, 2019

Been a policyholder for over 10 years now. No one can come close to beating their rates, and I check yearly. We have 5 drivers on the policy, 3 of which are our sons. When I was hit by a drunk driver and when I was hit by a driver that was texting and driving, my rates never went up, I never got dinged in any way and Wawanesa took care of everything for me and I was never inconvenienced in any way, besides the actual accident itself. I always recommend Wawanesa to everyone, I trust them completely and it's refreshing to deal with an insurance company that doesn't gouge you and takes care of you.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Katherine, thank you for your kind review and your many years of loyalty. We are very happy to hear that we were able to take care of you during such a stressful time and look forward to many more years of providing you with great service!

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

Me, like many reviews have noticed an increase in the auto insurance. Being proactive, I decided to get quotes from other companies. Well, premiums were going to cost me $30+ a month with another insurance company. I am sticking to Wawanesa.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Jackie, thanks for continuing to choose Wawanesa. We appreciate your rating and review and are glad to still be able to offer you competitive rates. We look forward to insuring you long into the future!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

Is it just me, but I can't stand their website! Great company for car insurance, great prices and never had a issue. Been with them for 10 years, but paying online is a nightmare!!! Please spend a little money and update your website!

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Heather, thank you for your rating and review. We'll continue to work towards an improved online payment experience. We welcome you to share any additional feedback regarding your experience by emailing us at usfeedback@wawanesa.com . If we may also assist you with setup to our new Online Account customer portal, please provide us with your full name, policy number and best contact number.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

I had a bad experience when I called for a Roadside Assistance. My car keys and phone got locked In the car on my birthday. I just borrowed a random guy's phone in the parking lot to call but the guy assisted me took too long to process it. The guy I talked to said there is someone coming but I waited for 1 hr and 30 mins but no one came. I called up again and borrowed the security phone, this time the guy I talked to said someone already came and did the job but no one came. He said he's sending another service to unlocked my car but I don't want to keep waiting so I get creative. I took two small branches and tie it with my shoe laces and try to get the keys out because my car windows are slightly open. I got car key out. And ended up not getting any service from you. I'm so disappointed because it was my birthday, I really want to go home and celebrate and I'm also having a bad day then this happened. :(

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Cyrene, we sincerely apologize that you had this experience, and on your birthday no less. Your feedback regarding the roadside assistance vendor we use is extremely valuable and we'd like to have a supervisor contact you regarding this. We kindly ask that you message us with your policy number and best contact number. We hope to hear back from you and appreciate you sharing this with us.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wawanesa Auto Insurance?

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

UPDATED 08/14/2019:1.5weeks after leaving Slaims supervisor (Annett Howell) a message to call back I'm still waiting. The regular claims guy called back and had no updates. I insisted a call back from a supervisor and he told me that would be tomorrow... thats 1.5 weeks ago

I got a notice from Wawanesa's lawyer claiming my ins terms had verbiage about required testimony under oath. He lied; that doesn't exist. I have my terms and sent it to him. Again I haven't heard back from him in 1.5 weeks either..

I'm getting no transparency or responses.

ORIGINAL REVIEW 08/07/2019:I've had some bad luck with a few comprehensive claims in the past 4 yrs or so.. Long story short my car was damaged when parked unattended. They're making me feel like a crook trying to have my car repaired. This time my car was scratched, and my windshield was covered; I figured it was scratched up too much to drive around (did turn out the body shop was able to polish it up with some exceptions of chips that came of this). I called Wawanesa and told them that I would just drop off the car and they could work on the claim with the shop directly. They didn't approve a rental, saying they needed to determine if the car was undriveable. I explained that I could not see out my windshield and wasn't comfortable driving it around. So I took the car in. I tried several times to get an update, as I was paying out of pocket for a rental car. Next contact was 3 WEEKS to get their appraiser or adjuster to approve the claim.

3 Weeks later I get a call from a guy named Aaron (no last name), he's treating me completely unprofessional; and tells me to take my car back now that the windshield was cleaned. He informs me that a Private investigator will call me. I pick up my car and get a call from the PI; meet with him. I had no problems cooperating. No contact for 2 weeks; I requested updates and nothing. 2 Weeks later a Lawyer calls me requesting phone records, financials, etc. This morning we sent me an email that says: 'We spoke on Monday and I told you I was retained to represent Wawanesa General Insurance Company with respect to your insurance claim with them. Sadly, we did not get you the letter I promised but you will have it today. I will then call you to discuss. The date for your Examination Under Oath can be moved and we can jointly agree on a location. We will discuss the records request during our call.'

Are they kidding me? They are treating me like a criminal. I called and asked for a supervisor; left a message for one. The same Aaron (no last name but says he's Wawanesa investigator) calls me and would give me details. I requested a supervisor again and he told me he/she is out today. I requested a call tomorrow. WTF is this? and Examination under Oath? I don't know what tricks they are trying to pull but this is not normal. This is a personal property claim, I'm a client that pays for insurance. RUN AWAY FROM SHADY COMPANIES AND GO TO A BIG REPUTABLE ONE. I'm done with Wawanesa. Worst experience ever!!

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Mike, thank you for speaking with our Claims Division Supervisor. Please accept our apologies for a Claims Supervisor not contacting you sooner. We appreciate your patience as we work through the claims process with you. Should you have any further questions or concerns please reach out to the Claims Division Supervisor you spoke with to discuss this matter.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

Do not use this insurance. They will trap by giving you lower rate than other insurance and then they will not pay out to you when there is a claim, plus they will increase premium without cause. Most of us sign up and forgot to shop around. This insurance company is not worthy for a 100 bucks discount if they don't pay you when there is a claim or try not to pay properly. As little as they could. I was in that trap. I had them for 20 yrs and a good driver discount and all that but when I made one little claim which didn't even cost much to fix car, they didn't pay me at all by appraising it all under my deductible amount. It sucks. I urge anyone to see review before getting in with them. I did not see review when I sign up with them. My bad.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi H, we're sorry to hear about your claim experience. We'd like to have a supervisor review your case and reach out to address your concern. Please message us your claim number and best contact number and we can put someone in touch.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: July 25, 2019

If you are seeking credible and honest insurance I would avoid this company. They will take your money and not help you when you really need it. I was involved in a car accident and they said it was 100% my fault without a second thought,and decided in their best interest to not do anything because it would cost them too much time and money. In summary, they don't do anything, just look at the many negative comments from people similar experiences they all can't be lying. The purpose of insurance is so you can have peace of mind and protection but this company doesn't look out for their clients, their clients are the ones feeding them so they are biting the hands of the people that pay their bills and expenses. Don't say I didn't warn you. They do this on purpose so they can raise your premiums and continue to do harm to their customers.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Chloe, we sincerely apologize for the level of service you experienced and would like to have a supervisor review your claim and address the concerns you raise. We kindly ask that you message us your claim number and best contact number and we can put someone in touch.

Original review: June 17, 2019

Have been with the company for more than 14 years and all the recent rate increases are just too much to swallow. In the last year or so my rate increases from about 800 to 1000 and the latest to 1200 (not to include all the "mild" increase prior). With no accident or anything, it is just hard to accept. To be fair the latest increase is mostly due to me replacing a car with a new Volvo. However when I check other insurance company the volvo should cost less to insure than my previous car. Anyway I have dropped Wawanesa for homeowner insurance early this year due to same reason and I guess I'm doing the same soon.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Wing, thank you for sharing your feedback. We apologize if you were impacted by increased rates and hate to lose you as a policyholder after all these years. We'd like to to have someone review your auto policy to ensure you're getting the best rate we can offer. Please message us your best contact number and we can put someone in touch.

*Update 6/20/19* Wing, thank you for speaking with us today to review your policy and allowing us to explain the changes in your rates.

Original review: June 14, 2019

I was with Wawanesa for almost 3 years. For the first two years, at the end of a 12 months plan. I would receive 1 to 3 refund checks equaling about $100 a piece. 7 months After my second year I cancelled it and I received a check for a little under $300. I cashed it and 3 months later they informed me that THEY messed up and THEY want their $250 back!

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Brandon, we ask that you please message us your policy number and best contact number so that we may look into the issue you're describing.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance Company Information