Wawanesa Auto Insurance

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

After being a policy holder with Wawanesa for about 25 years I received my current renewal with a 100% increase. Policy was from $1400 for 6 mo., to $2800. We had one very small accident recently, no tickets, no points, no other accidents. We never had any problems with them before. This is outrageous!! Definitely will not be renewing! Another customer lost, good job Wawanesa!!

I am a current auto policy holder for over 10 years. Never had an accident or tickets. Always multi-car and very low mileage. A few days ago I got renewal offer which is only for 6 month and my premium is more than doubled. I called and wait for 1 hour to be able to talk to customer service rep. I've been told that I have a loyalty discount, multi car, good driver and very low driving mileage. After all this my premium went up to 67%. She had no explanation whatsoever. I asked to speak to someone who can give me reasonable explanation. She said someone from customer relations will call me back within 24 hours. When I got the call, again I was not given any reasonable explanation. She kept giving me a lots of BS answers and saying all rates were going up in CA and we are taking under considerations some other factors that we were not taking it before, like the number of claims (which, BTW had nothing to do with me policy) and bah blah blah.

Again, NO specific reason. We are talking here premium difference of $2982 and I can't get any reasonable explanation? Seems like they are making fun of me. I am very confused and I actually believed that Wawanesa was the best insurance company so far. I am very disappointed. They lost a loyal customer and by reading other reviews there are many of them.

My recent experience required a phone call as I wanted to speak to a live agent. Calling on a Saturday afternoon wasn't such a great idea... My holding time was about 5 minutes. At that point in time I was given a choice to continue to wait or have them call me when a rep was available. I choose the latter and within a half hour they called me back! I have been with them for 17 years.

I am a current auto policy holder for 14 years. Never had an accident or tickets. Always multi car and very low mileage. A few days ago I got renewal offer which is only for 6 month and my premium is $ 500 up. I call and wait 45 min to be able to talk to customer service rep. I been told that I have a loyalty discount, multi car, good driver and very low driving mileage. After all this I have to pay $500 more. Seems like they are making fun of me, I feel that way, he was careless and told me to go shop around if I don't like the price. I complained to manager, was same careless respond. I am going to make an official complaint to CEO of this company in Canada and BBB.

Every single time I call Wawanesa you hold longer that the IRS... ridiculous. I left my name a number in the callback queue and didn't get a callback until the next day. And When the callback feature worked it still took them 2-3 hrs to call back. So frustrated when I hear their recording saying Wawanesa has been voted #1 in any category. They total suck... but as for their service when acting on a policy it's okay.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wawanesa Auto Insurance?

I have been a member with Wawanesa for 3 years. The rate was cheap and I haven't had any problems with them until this year. All of a sudden, they rose my rate by 49% (a Whopping $400 + increase). I called and the representative could not give me a clear cut explanation as to why my rate increased so high. He kept giving me BS answers and saying all rates were going up in CA. I spoke with my boyfriend (who also has Wawanesa) and a supervisor told him the rates were only increasing by $36 bucks. So how did mine jump by $400? Complete mystery... If they can't fix this, I'm forever done with this company.

I am very frustrated with Wawanesa insurance. We have not received reimbursement check. Our car was declared total loss. They asked us to return the rental vehicle 2 weeks ago and they were very quick to pick up the crashed vehicle but they keep saying they overnight the check and I haven't received it. They don't care that we have been without a car and struggling to get around. Now they are not returning my call. Terrible insurance company. Had a bad experience. Very unsatisfied. I do not recommend this company.

You can file claim online or by phone. Representatives are responsive and adequately efficient. The claim process is easy and provide good support. The website is friendly and easy to use. My personal experiences with the services so far have been good. The claims were processed efficiently and refund within a reasonable time without hassle. The pricing with the value of the same coverage in comparison so far is the lowest as long as you have good driving record. No more than one accident.

I have been with Wawanesa for over 10 years. All our cars are covered with Wawanesa. Their insurance rate for 1st time driver or new driver license are very competitive, so far is the lowest. Their insurance quote process is fast. The customer service and claim representatives has good professionalism and courtesy. They will come to your location of your convenience to review the damage and claim. They are punctual with the appointment. You can use any automotive repair shop. Their response to your claim is fast and keep you informed of the progress. The claim representatives are patience to explain any questions.

Their coverage offered are the same with other insurance companies, i.e. roadside assistance, good driver discounts etc. Their website is friendly to use and if all fails, the customer service by phone works just as good. They offer multiple car discounts and payment plans options just as other insurance companies. With my experience, most insurance agent would not be able to offer a better rate once they discover Wawanesa is the insurance carrier. I have recommended this to my friends, and those have switched confirmed with my experience.

I've been with Wawanesa for 3 years. I signed on with them when I bought a new used car at the beginning of 2013. Just received my renewal policy for 2017 with a front page that said Exciting news for our policy holders!! Uh... I would disagree with that given they raised my insurance rate by over 40% from last year. I get costs go up but 40%!!! No accidents or claims in the three years I was with them. Always paid on time. No excuse for that type of increase. Just a heads up for people considering to get insurance with them. Part of what makes dealing with the pain of insurance bearable, is knowing when you're a good driver they aren't going to gauge you for no reason.

I've already done some research and found a new policy that will only increase what I'm paying for the year by $80. That I can live with. My suggestion: Shop around and if you find a reputable company that is offering a comparable price go with them so you aren't screwed in the future and have to waste time shopping around.

Quick response. Co. Was very quick. I'm very very fair. My claim was processed and taken care of within a few days. The company cares about their policy holders. They have a quick response time. The adjuster comes within 2 days and your car is taken care of immediately.

I have been with Wawanesa for over 20 years. I've had two claims in the past ten years and was treated with respect. I had to take the time to respond to silly comments about not paying insurance payments on time, and engine starts leaking after their car gets hit while parked. Hum, these agents are trained for false claims like that. It's people like that, that cause insurance to go up. TIP # 1 make your payments on time and # 2 tell the truth. PS make your life insurance (with any broker) payment late and see what happens. I will continue to recommend my family and friends.

Another person sideswiped me on 7/22/2016 so I took a picture of his license plate, insurance card and registration and promptly reported the claim. Mind you, I have been with Wawanesa Insurance for around 30 years and have never had a negative experience. The claims department called me and took down all the accident particulars. The adjuster called me a couple of days later and asked when it would be convenient for her to obtain my recorded statement (ahem, more like an interrogation).

Well, I had prior trouble and current trouble making payments online ever since they changed the policy numbers because all of the numbers do not fit into the box for online payments and the support team was unable to rectify my situation for online bill pay. And, you cannot use a debit card even though it says so at the bottom until you read the fine print that indicates you can only use a credit card. I paid my premium by credit card on 7/12; however, the adjuster supposedly had a coverage question because they allegedly received my payment late.

This makes zero sense because the payment cleared thru my credit card the same night. So she interrogates me... Do you usually pay your payments every 2-3 months, have you ever had a lapse in coverage, this kind of nonsense. I told her I was starting a new job on August 1st and could I take the car to the body shop prior to that and she said no. I then said what would have happened if my car wasn't driveable but she didn't care. I complained to the claims manager about the interrogation and told her it seemed like the adjuster was trying to catch me in a lie and she said that's exactly what she was trying to do.

I said really after almost 30 years? Unreal! The adjuster kept calling me about non-sensical things so I told her to quit calling me. I went ahead and took my car to the body shop and dropped it off and went to get a rental car. Come to find out, when I deleted and added a car more than a year ago (nothing to do with MY car), they accidentally deleted the rental coverage. Sooo... I ended up paying about $700 for the rental and they refused to pay me back more than $300!

Also, they had to pull the recording of my conversation to prove I didn't delete the coverage! Also, the guy that hit me has some sub-standard policy so I had to pay the deductible and may have to take him to small claims court to recover it... Even if I get a judgement, good luck with that! Lastly, whenever you call, they hardly ever answer and if you ask for a call back not to lose your place in line, they don't call back. I'm very disappointed that I would be treated like this and to have to put all this money out of my pocket was really annoying. Yes, they may have great rates, but is it really worth it? I'm beginning to think NOT.

Updated 10/7/2016: I have been with Wawanesa for almost 30 years; I just posted a review earlier this week about a claims issue. I was just informed yesterday that all their policies are going to a 6-month in lieu of a full year and it won't be possible to make monthly payments any longer. I was shocked to learn that my premium will be going up over $2,000 a year, more than double and nothing has changed with my vehicles. The woman I spoke to says it was a 'rate increase'... I'm sorry, but a simple rate increase would not be this high... going elsewhere for my car insurance after almost 30 years. It appears this company got popular and then VERY GREEDY!

I called Cord ** an accident investigator for Wawanesa at 1:37 p.m. to discuss my claim. We began to disagree on an issue in regards to getting my car fixed. He was mad we were arguing, so he blurts out, "I can't wait to deny your medical claim"! I then asked him if he's serious. I've never dealt with someone so disrespectful. He said he would deny my medical claim because I was arguing with him in regards to my car being fixed!!! LUCKILY, I had an attorney sitting next to me the entire conversation so they heard the entire call. We were on our way to an event and I was driving with my speaker phone on. Thanks Cord for saying that. The attorney is going to write a letter not only to Wawanesa, but also to the "Dept. of Insurance" for your unethical remarks.

On Wednesday September 14, 2016 I was waiting to get road assistance for two hours although I was in the center of Downey City at 8:00 PM.

For the last 3 days I have been unable to get hold of anyone at Wawanesa. I don't even know if they are still in business. I hope that nothing happens to my car since I still have a policy with that company. I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone.

I have had this Ins for years and years, was GREAT for years, small Co feel very personal. About a year ago I changed vehicles and had to call to take care of it. On hold for an hour, took days to get a person. Now I received a notice of cancellation due to non-payment, but never got a bill. AGAIN I called, on hold for an hour, hung up on once, hold forever. You have been warned. Choose at your own risk.

I have been with Wawanesa for my auto insurance for over 30 years. Even when going through my divorce, they split the account with no problems, added my husband when I got married again and added my children when they began driving. I have had several claims over the years including needing roadside assistance without any problems. They are quick to respond, took care of rental cars when needed, once I reported a claim, I never had to deal with it again. The service is great, the people on the phone are wonderful, claims adjusters easy to work with. I will continue to recommend them. A few times I thought to check rates at other insurance companies and once they heard I had Wawanesa, they said they couldn't beat them. Love this company!!

Wawanesa inadvertently placed my property insurance payment of 148.00 onto an auto policy, thus cancelling the property insurance for non-payment. They made no notification of policy cancellation. I received an auto policy bill with changed policy number in feb. 2016, I immediately paid installment of 458.16, with future installments due June and September.

I received another changed auto policy, noted as 'rewrite' May 28, with payment needed of 232.96. I paid immediately, installments were due over next 8 months. I made no request for any changes. I then received notice on July 1 of non-payment for auto policy, so I called and was told about the cancellation of my property insurance, that a new policy would need to be written; and that Wawanesa had no record of my claimed payments.

I went to my bank to have the transactions researched. My bank has record of $458.16 received by Wawanesa on 2/29 and then returned to bill pay on May 28. Payment of $232.96 received by Wawanesa on 6/13 was refused and credited back to my on July 1. I decided to cancel all policies with Wawanesa for their lack of communication and poor billing. I notified them via email clearly stating all of these issues. Today (7/21), I received a bill for $119.44 for coverage provided of the cancelled auto policy. I have made no insurance claims to auto or property. They have refused and returned all payments made without notification and not in a timely manner. I should owe them nothing.

I have been with Wawanesa for 6 years. I recently fell behind on my payments due to money being tight to the tune of $489. I was told by two or three different agents after placing me hold each time to consult with a higher up to "get approval" for me paying $100 a week for 4 consecutive weeks and then a final payment of $89. I was told this was approved with the condition while the payments were being made I would not be covered. I agreed to this. Well, after all payments were made I called and guess what? Yep, you guessed it...NO REINSTATEMENT. And furthermore there are no notes in their system to the above arrangements.

The rep got a snobby attitude and tried to lecture me on the fact that this is a bill I owed...uh no kidding. I didn't lie to her. Had I known they were gonna do me like that I would've paid for repairs to have my car pass smog and got insurance elsewhere and paid them later. Then she tried to lecture me on damaging my credit. I said "Look where I'm at now my credit is secondary to survival mode." I'm done with these liars. I believe the awards they got for customer service are not merited.

As I write this I have been on hold for this office way too long. I don't know if they have new management or what but keeping people on hold upwards of an hour without a choice to leave a message and receive a call back is unacceptable. I have been with them for about 17 years and this is the worst I have been treated. Yes the policies cost less but the service has decreased a 100 fold. After my year is up I will be moving my insurance unfortunately to a higher cost bracket but I need peace of mind. The woman just told me the supervisor will take care of it. They told me that yesterday and they told me that 3 hours ago. I cannot work until I have a copy of my insurance. It should not take this long to get a copy of my policy. Will they pay me for the two days I have not been able to work. I think not. Lost money. Gotta go to another company if I don't have it within the hour. Proceed with warning.

I had recommended them because of the great rates, but that was because I hadn't had to make a claim. Finally when I did it took me 3 hours the night I got a flat tire to find out they couldn't help me that night even though I had roadside assistance. Even if it was my fault, why did it have to take 3 hours of me on the phone on the side of the road! To make a really long story short, I just found out 2 MONTHS LATER that they are declining my claim. Even if it's not covered, why did it have to take 2 MONTHS to FIND OUT! Horrible service and non-responsive. After 16 years I will be switching insurance. I'm glad that it was just a flat tire and not a major accident for me to realize the service is horrible.

I called the company because of a increase of my policy. The word "endorsement" was used. Look this word up and find out who is associated with it. I called because someone hit my car and my car was parked. I was told I don't have to make a police report but, if I went through them I would "have" to pay my deductible. I pay the insurance and can't get any coverage for a hit and run and since I have been "endorsed" this will cost me more! I see that being in 19 zip doesn't get you "ZIP"!

Wawanesa Insurance has been my insurer for about 8 years and I've been very pleased with the cost. Last year I finally had the need to file a claim and was very pleased with the service and the way I was treated I have before, and will continue to recommend Wawanesa to my friends.

Wawanesa has the absolutely lowest rates for good drivers. I just had AAA quote my current policy and their rate was more than double. Their service is great, they respond courteously and professionally.

The rates are reasonable and agents are knowledgeable and helpful. I have not had any claims so far so I have no claims processing experience, however friends of mine with the same company have had good service on their claims.

I've been a Wawanesa customer with my auto for 27 years and home for 15 years and have never had problems with them. My husband totaled his car 3 weeks ago. In less than 3 weeks we received a check for quite a bit over Blue Book. We were provided with a rental car to use until we purchased a new car. Over the years we have been victims of accidents and the ease of getting repairs has been amazing. The shop they recommended does great work, friendly employees.

Wawanesa has never raised our rates due to the fender benders that my kids caused as new drivers. Sure once in a while it may be difficult to reach the adjuster but when you take in to consideration the amount of customers each adjuster is assigned, it's not a big deal. My adjuster called me back usually within an hour of my call.

They also were great when I filed a homeowner claim almost 9 months after a flooding incident. They came out inspected the repairs, made copies of all the receipts (my husband did the repairs), shortly after we received a check well over the receipts amount, they explained they allowed for labor too. They will drop you as a customer if you receive too many tickets or file too many claims where you are at fault and I see nothing wrong with that. I recommend them all the time.

Their insurance rates are very reasonable if you are a good driver. They are friendly and attentive. I have been in two auto accidents since. Do have been insure with them almost 10 years now. They have been very helpful and calming in both instances.

This company is a junk, yes they are very cheap compared to other company, but believe me, you get what you pay for, a cheap and scam service. Someone hit on my car while it was parked in a one way street curb (hit and run) while I was traveling in San Marcos-CA. I called them to make a claim right after I saw the damage and I told them what happened and give all the information they asked for. The lady told me to wait until one of their adjustors call me. First in their website they false advertise that the people their office representatives works from Mon - Friday from 7:30 am to 7:30 pm, that's a joke and not true, they told me that they are open until 4:30 pm and after that you just get a message saying that they are closed, and if you try to reach anyone after 4:00 pm they are not in the office anymore.

Second, the guy who was designed to "help" as my adjustor called Tony was EXTREMELY RUDE unprofessional (maybe because I have an accent), he treated like trash, like he was doing me a favor. He told me he was sending an estimator, was kind fast. This guy (the estimator) came to my house and I showed him everything happened to my car, I opened the hood and I showed him all the fluid from my steering power all over my engine. He took few pics with his little camera and wished me good luck. The day after, Tony called me and told me to take my car to a body shop, but I told him my car was not driving at all. He told me to not worry about it because they would take care of it (again, extremely rude).

I took my car to the body shop and then I got the check 4 days later, then my nightmare started. My body shop guy finished his job after a week and half and I took my car to my mechanic who gave then an estimate, so they sent the estimator again who according to my mechanic stayed there for 3 min and before he started check the car, he already told him that it was not the part of the accident so my mechanic told him that how could he state that without even look at my car and he just took few more pics and left. So, this estimator took 3 days to send the adjustor my paperwork, I was calling this adjustor called Tony everyday since he never called me to keep me updated or to at least apologize for his incompetence. He was always RUDE every time I called to see if he had any updates. And one day he called me and told me very rude "if I have any news, I call you. Do you understand, I will call you. "

I have all our conversations recorded on my phone, including one that he insinuates clearly that if I had taken my car to one of their shops it would be faster. REALLY??? Then finally they denied to fix my car and one of the services supervisor called Willian, left a super rude message saying that they wont pay in any circumstance to fix my car because based in the pictures I was not saying the truth (he basically called me a liar in a kind way). I've tried to call them after that message and they never answered the phone when I called. I've called them 30 times and I left messages to 3 different people, they are cowards and refuse to even answer my calls. They know my number and they refuse to let me even argue about their decision. Every time I call, the representatives already know with who I want to talk.

THEY TREATED ME LIKE TRASH, THEY MADE MY BLOOD PRESSURE GOES UP, THEY TURNED MY LIFE INTO A NIGHTMARE AND SO STRESSFUL. Please be aware about this company. They don't care about their customers and they treat you like you are begging for a favor. What's absolutely not the case since I pay my bill every single month! They are criminals and scammers.

Wawanesa Insurance is the best... They give you insurance that covers your car and what the state wants, will not push you into something you don't need, and no other company can beat their price. You can check out different values depending on how much coverage you want to carry on your vehicle. They have discounts for more than one car. You can contact the company by phone, online or by snail mail and receive their response by the same ways, too.

I have been with Wawanesa for over 10 years. I have never had to file a claim. Their rates are very reasonable and the payment methods are very adaptable and meet my needs. I will stay with this company until there is a good reason for me to change.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance Company Profile