Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
2.01/5

Wawanesa Auto Insurance

Wawanesa Insurance offers auto, home, renters and condo insurance to clients in Canada, Oregon and California. Wawanesa is not an official carrier with InsuraMatch, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. Speak with an InsuraMatch representative for free quotes from multiple providers today.

BOTTOM LINE

Many reviewers have been with Progressive for more than 10 years.

PROS

• Competitive, low rates
  • Available nationwide
  • Offers accident forgiveness in many cases
  • Can file online or by phone

CONS

• Some customers find the website difficult to navigate
  • Rate increases can vary

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

147 Wawanesa Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 17, 2019

Long time customer (like 30 years). Wawanesa has always been good to me. Like others I dislike the 6 month pay program. And I can see how sending a pic of damage to a car could cause some confusion in assessing a correct amount to cover the damage. But other than those two policies I've found Wawanesa to be prompt in coverage of damages and amounts to cover the damage more than enough. My personal experience on the few mishaps I've had is that once contacted they've had an adjuster come to my house within a couple days and once written up I've had a check in my mailbox within 10 days thereafter made out to me. And me alone so I'm free to pick whoever I want to fix the damage.

From my experience I'm really surprised to see these negative posts. But I'd be willing to guess that if you were to research ANY insurance company you'd find some site where people are posting bad reviews. I've stayed on top of researching rates every year and I can't imagine as one poster here stated that they got a 600 dollar cheaper rate with another carrier. Usually it's one of my friends that I've referred to Wawanesa that ends up saving 600 bucks. And, for better coverage. Ya, the six month pay period sucks. But it is a little inconvenience for a better policy. Obviously I'm disappointed to read where Wawanesa has fallen down on the job with so many. This site is my first experience hearing anything bad about the company.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Jim, thank you for being a longtime policyholder and for your honest review. We strive to provide our policyholders outstanding service and excellent rates, and will continue to do so as you've experienced first-hand over the past few decades. We encourage you to let us know promptly should you ever feel unsatisfied or have any questions or concerns. Thank you for your business and we gladly look forward to servicing you for another 30 or more years!

Original review: April 4, 2019

Been a policyholder for over 10 years now. No one can come close to beating their rates, and I check yearly. We have 5 drivers on the policy, 3 of which are our sons. When I was hit by a drunk driver and when I was hit by a driver that was texting and driving, my rates never went up, I never got dinged in any way and Wawanesa took care of everything for me and I was never inconvenienced in any way, besides the actual accident itself. I always recommend Wawanesa to everyone, I trust them completely and it's refreshing to deal with an insurance company that doesn't gouge you and takes care of you.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Katherine, thank you for your kind review and your many years of loyalty. We are very happy to hear that we were able to take care of you during such a stressful time and look forward to many more years of providing you with great service!

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

Me, like many reviews have noticed an increase in the auto insurance. Being proactive, I decided to get quotes from other companies. Well, premiums were going to cost me $30+ a month with another insurance company. I am sticking to Wawanesa.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Jackie, thanks for continuing to choose Wawanesa. We appreciate your rating and review and are glad to still be able to offer you competitive rates. We look forward to insuring you long into the future!

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

Is it just me, but I can't stand their website! Great company for car insurance, great prices and never had a issue. Been with them for 10 years, but paying online is a nightmare!!! Please spend a little money and update your website!

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Heather, thank you for your rating and review. We'll continue to work towards an improved online payment experience. We welcome you to share any additional feedback regarding your experience by emailing us at usfeedback@wawanesa.com . If we may also assist you with setup to our new Online Account customer portal, please provide us with your full name, policy number and best contact number.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 14, 2019

I was with Wawanesa for almost 3 years. For the first two years, at the end of a 12 months plan. I would receive 1 to 3 refund checks equaling about $100 a piece. 7 months After my second year I cancelled it and I received a check for a little under $300. I cashed it and 3 months later they informed me that THEY messed up and THEY want their $250 back!

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Brandon, we ask that you please message us your policy number and best contact number so that we may look into the issue you're describing.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wawanesa Auto Insurance?

Original review: June 3, 2019

While attending a New Years party in South Central Los Angeles two of my Vehicle was vandalized. I filed a police report and then a Claim with My Insurance Company, Wawanesa. My 2014 Cherry red Lexus GS350 and My Burgundy 1980 Porsche Targa 911. I expressed to Wawanesa that I believe both cars were targeted because of their Red Color in an area populated by “Crips” gang members in the same area where recently The Rapper Nipsey Hussle was brutally murdered. Soon after, I was interviewed by a representative of Wawanesa, then I was contacted by their Lawyer.

The attorney from the Farrar Law Group contacted me about doing a 3 to 5-hour examination under oath. My doctor urged, my wife and I not to participate, due to medical issues. I provided a letter from the doctor and a police report and Wawanesa decided they would not honor my claims. I believe my claims were denied because I am ** and the lawyer’s tone, regarding my claims, was racially biased from the beginning and so was the actions of Wawanesa. I have been a policyholder with Wawanesa for over 10 years and I have 5 cars Insured with them and all my payments have always been on time. I urge anyone who is looking for insurance to look elsewhere because Wawanesa will honor your claims. Isn’t that the reason we buy insurance, to insure that we are covered when an incident occurs?

Original review: June 3, 2019

It’s literally going to take 3 hours to get a jump start in the greater Los Angeles area. AAA would’ve been here in 15 minutes. I’ve never in my life had to wait so long for roadside support. Skip their roadside support, it’s an embarrassment and a waste of money. And Wawanesa, if you’re going to suck so bad at something, just stop offering it. Thanks to trusting you, I’m in a massive bind. As soon as humanely possible, I’m leaving to AAA.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Dan, we apologize for the level of roadside assistance service you experienced. We'd like to put a supervisor in touch with you and kindly ask that you message us your policy number and best contact number.

Original review: May 27, 2019

I bought a used 2016 Honda Civic LX and called Wawanesa the next day. My full coverage went up about 26 to 30%!!! Never been in an accident nor file a claim. I work close to my home and my wife stays home. I called a second time because they made an error on my vin number, the gentleman raised my rate again!! Are you kidding me!? His excuse was that the first customer agent made a mistake. I began to ask him questions about the rate hike and he keep saying that's my new rate. Finding a new insurance company. What happened Wawanesa???

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response
Hi Daniel, we sincerely apologize for the frustration you've experienced. We are having a supervisor review your policy and will be reaching out to you soon. We value your business and appreciate both your feedback and your patience.

*Update* Daniel, thank you for speaking with us today. We are pleased to be able to review your policy and make the appropriate corrections to reach a positive resolution.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: May 18, 2019

Made a claim against this apparently very unpopular company when the driver of their client's car hit me as I was trying to exit a multi lane traffic circle. The other driver was in the outermost lane, to my right, even though she was going 3/4 around the circle, failed to yield to the car to the left, my vehicle, so as I exited to the right, she kept going and swiped right into me. Unfortunately police too busy to show up.The ludicrous Wawanesa assessment was that I was changing lanes in the traffic circle and hit her, so apparently they're as ignorant of how to use a roundabout as the other driver.

The damage and diagram I provided of the circle, combined with the other driver's own statement that she was in the wrong lane and didn't yield establish fault and it wouldn't take a forensic accident savant to figure out exactly what happened. This company isn't doing the driving public - or that driver for that matter - any favors by covering up reckless driving behavior and acting like it's ok. Will be filing complaint with CA Dept of Insurance on what I consider to be this sham company.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Deborah, we'd like to put a supervisor in touch with you regarding your claim. Please message us your claim number and best contact number and we can have someone reach out to you.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Unsafe! My granddaughter has been stranded in a college parking lot for three hours waiting for a tow, at night?? Unacceptable! The call centers are in Oklahoma, Texas, wherever! Oh, and no supervisors are available to file a complaint? Seriously! I have to wait until morning to call the San Diego office to complain? How about refunding me for 20 years of worthless towing fees!!! Shame on you Wawanesa for not keeping drivers safe!

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Cathy, we want to thank you for raising this issue to us and talking with our Claims leader to provide the details of this situation. We deeply regret this occurred to your daughter and we are taking steps to address this issue. We take this very seriously and hope to earn your trust again.

Original review: May 8, 2019

Recently got married so since I had Wawanesa insurance under my parents, the hubby and I decided to stick with Wawanesa and get our own plan. I've had Wawanesa for about 8 years and thankfully never had any accidents. About a month and a half ago while my hubby was getting a haircut, this girl ran into our parked truck and ripped the front bumper off. Thankfully, we were able to get the girl's info and placed a police report. This is what I'm confused about... They have her insurance and we still have to pay our $500 deductible? Also, they only cover the daily car rental fee. We needed a car for three days so they covered $30/day but they don’t cover everything else. We had to pay $170 out of pocket. So inconvenient. Why doesn't her insurance reimburse us for this?

Anyways, I called asking about the deductible and they said once the other party pays Wawanesa then they will send us our check. How do I know there’s urgency to get us our money back? No customer service at all. Wawanesa should cover our deductible and go after the other party to get their money back. Then there will be urgency because of course they want their money back ASAP. After reading these reviews, we are definitely going to start looking for another insurance. Btw, even after having our truck fixed we never received a phone call with an update. I've had to call every time to see what is going on. If anything, why not email the customer with updates? All I know is I am not waiting 1-2 years to receive my deductible. I am going to keep calling every week until we get our money back. Why do we pay $180/month to have to deal with this?

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Jessica, we apologize for the frustration you're experiencing in regards to your claim. We'd like to put a supervisor in touch with you to discuss the issue and provide assistance. Please kindly provide us your best contact number. You may also instead email us to provide your information or call to connect with a Customer Relations Specialist Monday-Friday between 7:30am-7:30pm.

Original review: May 3, 2019

We have never filed a claim before. After 15 years with Wawanesa we had to file a claim on our motorhome. It's was absolutely horrible dealing with representatives. Took over 1 month to get windshield done and then Wawanesa told you one thing and did another when it came time to pay. After several phone calls and talking to several representatives because you can never talk to your assigned claim representative she was never available. They never did what they said. It all comes down to never file a claim with this company.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Thank you for speaking with the Claims Supervisor. We apologize for any delay or confusion with regard to your claim. We hope that the Claims Supervisor was able to clarify the process. Should you need any other assistance please contact the Claims Supervisor and he would be happy to help you.

Original review: April 30, 2019

My 2019 BMW windshield cracked to a point where it cannot be repaired. I called Wawanesa to file a claim for a replacement and it turned out Safelite is the company that takes care of their glass repair/replacement claims. I filed my claim on 4/17/19 and decided to have the dealership replace the windshield since it involved recalibrating the cameras, which Safelite does not do.

I've been going back and forth with Safelite since day 1 on getting a price approval on a price sheet that my dealership sent over to them on the 17th. The price sheet lists OEM windshield, other parts, labor, and sales tax. Today, 4/30/19, Safelite sent me an approval via email. The approved amount typed out in the email is only for OEM windshield. It does not include other parts, labor or sales tax. I asked them about other items on the price sheet, they said to submit it with the invoice and they'll approve it then. How am I supposed to feel confident in bringing my car in to fix when the written approval is only for a fraction of the cost? They keep saying OEM is approved, OEM is approved. What about the other items besides OEM? Very frustrating to have to deal with them. I hope Wawanesa partners with a company that is more professional and organized.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Leanne, we sincerely apologize for any issues you've had with your claim and working with Safelite. We're constantly trying to improve our processes and work with only the best and most reputable vendors. We truly do appreciate your feedback. We've had the Safelite Account Manager look into this situation and he's attempted to reach you but was only able to leave a voicemail. Please contact him back and he'd be happy to work through this portion of the claim with you.

Original review: April 7, 2019

My husband was rear ended by a driver and was found 100% “at no fault”. Wawanesa was able to contact the “at fault driver’s” insurance company, only to tell us the driver claims it was my husband's fault. Wawanesa said they would issue us a check but we would have to come up with our 500.00 deductible. Once the check is issued, they would send our file to their recovery department and they would then try to collect the money from the “at fault driver’s” insurance company. We would get our deductible back but it could take 1 1/2 years to 2 years.

Why do we have to come up with the deductible? Are they using “uninsured motorist” portion of our insurance? If we have been deemed 100% no fault, why doesn’t Wawanesa cover everything. What if we don’t have the deductible? Wawanesa says the the “at fault” insurace company claims they cannot reach their client or their client is not answering their call? They were able to reach her to get a statement that she was not at fault. Now she can’t be reached? I have been insured with Wawanesa for approximately 20 years. I don’t believe I have ever made a major claim. I am a good client. Who do I get in touch with?

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

*Update 4/19/19* Hi Rosana, thank you for speaking with the Claims Division Supervisor regarding your claim. We are pleased that we have been able to reach an amicable conclusion to the situation surrounding your claim. Should you need any further assistance you may reach out to the Claims Division Supervisor or your adjuster. We truly appreciate your business, thank you very much for being a longtime Wawanesa customer.

Original review: March 22, 2019

Had a rock hit my windshield and got a crack along with line going across it. Called to have a replacement and it seems Safelite is the one who does the repairs now. They told me I had to pay for the deductible and maybe Wawanesa would cover the rest but that depends on the billing department. They were supposed to call with a couple days but never called so I pushed my appt further away to found out if they would cover the rest.

Well after calling and speaking to the supervisor (they said that's who would call me) they would not cover for OEM glass even though I would still pay for deductible. They would only cover an aftermarket windshield according to the lady who called me. She informed me that's what is on the disclosure. They only give an OEM windshield for a new 2018 or 2019 car and not my 2010. I asked for the disclosure to sent to me and nowhere does it mention anything about OEM windshield being replaced only on 2018 or 2019.

This is what was on the disclosure (she told me page 11) "F. In determining the amount necessary to repair damaged property, the amount paid by us will be based on the cost to repair or replacement parts and equipment which may be new, reconditioned, remanufactured, or used, including but not limited to: 1. Original manufacturer parts or equipment; and 2. Non- original manufacturer parts or equipment." I don't see anything about covering only for OEM on a 2018, 2019. Also says "may be new". Either she was lying or didn't know about the rules. You guys can decide if you would like to use them in the future as your company.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi d., we apologize for the frustration you've experienced with your glass claim. We'd like to put you in touch with someone from our claims leadership team to address your concerns. We'd also be glad to go over additional coverage you may be interested in for the future in regards to Vehicle Manufacturer Replacement Parts coverage. Please provide us with your best contact number and we can put someone in touch shortly.

Original review: March 16, 2019

Filed a claim for vandalism mid-Feb. 2019, window was broken and rain had gotten into car. Reported damage minutes after it happened and 2 weeks later they tell me that the damage from the rain is a separate claim, so I waited 2 whole weeks before they told me, then had to start claim process over again. Waited another week for another adjuster to take photos of rain damage, and after adjuster left, the car won't start. Adjuster nor Wawanesa will take any responsibility for this fact and car has now been sitting in driveway for over one month.

Every person I speak to on the phone, and have been on the phone almost daily, tells me something different and "apologies for that misinformation..." I have been with this company for over 10 years, had zero claims until now and it isn't even a collision claim and they are giving me the most difficult time. I don't appreciate the runaround, particularly when I have been a loyal, paying customer who has not cost them a dime until now, when I actually need them.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Thank you for taking the time to speak with the Claims Supervisor and allowing him to resolve your concerns surrounding your claim. We apologize for any delay or inconvenience during the handling of your claim. We strive to provide excellent service and to be transparent about the claims process and we regret that was not the service that you experienced. Should you have any other questions or concerns that need to be addressed please contact the Supervisor and he would be happy to assist you.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

Stay away...changing insurance ASAP. In a nutshell I’m paying full coverage and they won’t pay the difference after my $500 deductible to get my windshield replaced and recalibrates due to camera sensors. I must choose from the preferred provider list. If I want to take it to my dealership where I bought this new vehicle I must pay the difference and submit a claim for reimbursement (But Wawanesa can’t confirm that they will approve the claim for refund)... Ugh worse insurance I’ve had by far! STAY AWAY!

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Berenice, we apologize for any confusion or inconvenience that resulted from the handling of your glass claim. Thank you for speaking with our Claims Supervisor and allowing her to answer all of your questions, review the process with you, and be able to reach an amicable resolution. Should you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to the Supervisor and she would be happy to assist you. We appreciate your business, and thank you for being a Wawanesa customer.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I was loyal with Wawanesa insurance for more than 20 years and now I have to switch to other insurance company. Wawanesa used to be a great insurance company. I looked back at my premium, compared 2019 renewal to 2017, and realized that they raised my premium 26%. I had no tickets, no accidents, no claims since I had Wawanesa. I switched to other company and got better rates, better coverage. Wawanesa is supposed to have lower rates than other companies because Wawanesa does not have agencies. I called them and asked why my premium got higher and higher. They said because of the cost of living, they had to raise. I just laughed and walked away from Wawanesa.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi K, I apologize for the frustration you’re experiencing regarding your policy premium. We value your many years of loyalty and would like to have your policy reviewed closely by a Customer Relations Specialist to ensure you're getting the best rate that we offer. Please message us your policy number and best contact number and we can put someone in touch. You may also call us at 1-877-220-2191 Monday - Friday 8:00am - 7:30pm or email us your best contact number to usfeedback@wawanesa.com.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Had my Truck Stolen recently. The claims process was a absolute nightmare, the adjuster felt her only role was to watch from the sidelines and deny expenses, not helping me through the process, no consultation, no helping deal with the Autobody shop, not even forwarding them the information I had given her. We could not even reach her by phone. Always had to e-mail. My truck was gone for 3 months!! for repair and came back with a list of issues that I needed to "deal with through the Autobody shop" or fix myself.

I was paying insurance for 2 specific reasons. 1) To get me back to the place I was before the event. 2) To have a helping hand when I did have a issue. Instead I got a distant accountant with E-mail, might as well deal with a cheap insurance company from China. When I asked to dispute claims items that decided by her with no agreement or consultation with me, I was told, "Here's our dispute mechanism - hire your own appraiser and they can fight it out with ours. Good luck making that work for you."

By the way the Appraiser was also terrible, the shop evaluated that my truck needed a batch of Front end work that it did not need (I have pictures to prove it), instead of maybe actually taking a look he just reported to the adjuster only and they disallowed the work meaning no mechanical work was done at all. I got back a truck with a large list of repairs and less functionality. On top of that I have to deal with the shop warranty process with no help. Stay away from this company.

Hi Clinton,

We would like to apologize for the type of service you've experienced during this stressful time and would like to have a supervisor contact you to address your concerns. We kindly ask for you to private message us your best contact number and policy number and we'll have one reach out to you directly. You may also email us with your details.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I have new with Wawanesa for a few years. My husband was involved in an accident where the other party was at fault. Wawanesa refused to waive our deductible. They neglected to specify and full communicate the extent of the repairs with the auto repair shop. Their negligence lead to an additional 10 days in the shop. Although the adjuster admitted their mistake, Wawanesa refused to cover additional days for a rental car. Additionally, they only want to approve aftermarket products for repairs. I have never felt so unappreciated as a loyal customer and I’m looking for a new insurance company TODAY!!! I’m beyond frustrated. Don’t get Wawanesa insurance!!! They don’t take care of their own customers!!

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi g, we apologize for the experience that you and your husband had during your claim. Your feedback is important to us and we'd like to have a supervisor contact you to discuss the issue and provide assistance. Please message us with your best contact number, you can also call or email us and we will put you in touch with someone right away.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

We have been with Wawanesa for many years and previously thought we were had the best insurer in the market. It seems as the policy changed to 6 months our cost has doubled. Not only is it ridiculous to have to renew every 6 months but to have the rates increase each time is unbelievable. We are mature drivers and cover 3 vehicles and we are not seeing our rates go down but up. We have referred numerous friends and family to Wawanesa stating they are comparable to AAA but with better rates. Well we just received a quote from AAA that will save us nearly $600/year with the same coverage... What happened to you Wawanesa.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Robert, we'd like to first thank you for your many years of loyalty with our company. We value you as a customer and would like to have a supervisor thoroughly review your file to ensure you are getting the best rates possible and to look for any potential savings you may qualify for. We kindly ask for you to private message us your best contact number and we'll be in touch shortly. You may also contact a specialist with your details.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

It appears you (Wawanesa) Don't have a lot of happy customers by the amount of 1 star ratings and apologies you have to make for the poor service you provide.

Their insured driver hit ME and while my car was at body shop I paid for rental car expecting to be reimbursed but when it was time to be reimbursed they gave me half of what I paid for the rental. I WILL not let Wawanesa take advantage of me and I GET the money owed.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi William, we value all of our customers opinions to strive for fair and honest resolutions. We would like to have a supervisor review your claim to address your concerns. Please private message us your best contact number and full name and we'll be in touch shortly.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I called to report an accident, the other person was/is at fault. I should not have to come out my pocket to pay for anything due to the other person is liable. They are telling me that I have to pay the deductible to get my car out of the shop & they will reimburse me for everything, once the other insurance company pay them. No, you should be keeping up with everything to charge the other person insurance & you wait to get the money, that's what I pay you for. They then turn around & say you called us, so we are using your collision insurance.

That's where it's a problem so I should have not called to inform you of the accident & provide the other person insurance information, I'm a little confused now! Then the rep tells me, "We are waiting to hear if they accept the claim," & have I called them. Once again, that's why you get paid to handle all this. Why do I have to contact the other person insurance, that's your job, are you going to reimburse me for doing your job? I am very upset. I'm considering contacting an attorney for both insurance companies!

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Nicole, we'd like to get you in touch with a supervisor to address your concerns regarding this claim. Please message us your best contact number or contact us at 1-877-220-2191 and we will get you in touch with someone shortly. You may also email us at usfeedback@wawanesa.com with your details.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

I'm beyond frustrated with the quality of service. I have been a customer for YEARS. I submitted a claim on Nov 29, first, the wrong tow type was sent, waited another hour under heavy rain for the flatbed to arrive, when the flatbed arrived tow driver said he got instructions from Wawanesa to take my truck to my house. Halfway to my house a rep from Wawanesa calls and asked ME to pull the tow truck over and tell him to take my truck to a different facility. I told them I was in a different car behind the tow truck on the freeway and it was UNSAFE for me to do that. She calls the driver and instructed him to take my truck somewhere else. I didn't hear from Wawanesa until I was the one who called them 5 days later.

On that call Wawanesa rep accused me of canceling the delivery of the truck to their facilities and excused herself of not knowing where my truck was and not having any assessment on my truck. I told her SHE was the person who instructed the driver where to store my truck from the get go. She told me I HAD to call some body shop I have no idea who they were to "release" my truck. That's HER job. I asked to be placed in a 3 way call and she didn't get answers from the places she called. She said my truck was "LOST". She promised to keep me updated... She HAS NOT! ELEVEN days have passed and my car has not been checked or assessed. I don't even know where my truck is located! I requested management information to follow up and No Answers As Of Yet!!! Formally I need answers and a resolution to this matter.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Maria, we apologize for the frustration you're experiencing with the claim and would like to put a manager directly in touch with you to discuss the issue and provide assistance. We have the claim number and contact information you've provided and will get it to someone right away for review. If you have any questions or additional information you'd like to provide in the meantime, please call 1-877-220-2191 or email usfeedback@wawanesa.com. Someone will be in touch with you shortly!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I have been a policyholder of Wawanesa since 1993 (25 years). Wawanesa was great up until they changed to 6 month policies. At that time I seen a massive increase in my rates. I expected because of the cost of doing business in California that rates would go up now and then. I received my renewal today and found out my 2005 Civic for liability only is $547.00 ever 6 months. WOW!!! What a hell of an increase. I just to have 4 cars on my year policy all full coverage and it was $1700 for a year. Now for 2 cars (1 full coverage and 1 not) they want $821.00 for 6 months and $1642.00 per year. That my friends is highway robbery.

I was so mad I called and the lady kept saying, "It is not us. It's the CEO. He wants a bigger bonus. I can't do anything for you." She suggested maybe I go to another insurance company. I have a feeling since I am grandfathered in the only way they can get rid of me is to get me to cancel. How do you do that by raising the rate so high I leave. I really feel that is what Wawanesa wants. They want all their long term policyholders to leave. Shame on you as the CEO of Wawanesa. I am now looking for an insurance company that values their long term policyholders unlike Wawanesa and their CEO.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Charles, we're deeply concerned with the quality of service that you were provided and can ensure you that is not the reasoning for the rate change. We would like to have a supervisor thoroughly review your file to make sure you're getting all the discounts you qualify for and to address your questions and concerns appropriately. Please private message us your best contact number, or you may email us at usfeedback@wawanesa.com with your information and we'll be in touch shortly.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I switched to Wawanesa because they had the most competitive rates on the market. After my daughter was in a car accident and I had to file a claim, I realized what a mistake this was. They have the worst customer service of any auto insurance companies I have dealt with. First, they lose my car for a week and then try to pass off the cost to me; secondly, my adjuster has a voicemail telling me that she will return calls within 4 hours during her regular office hours but hasn't returned a call after 3 days; and lastly, they lowballed me on the total loss estimate. As soon as this ordeal is over, I'm switching insurance.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Samuel, I'd like to apologize regarding your claims experience during this stressful time. We would like to have a supervisor reach out to you to thoroughly review the case and to address all of your concerns to avoid this from reoccurring in the future. We kindly ask for you to private message us your full name and best contact number, or you may email us at usfeedback@wawanesa.com with your information. We hope to hear from you soon!

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

Wawanesa is an insurance company that initially felt like a good company with more customer service and great coverage for a fair price but after having them for several years it became apparent they are not the best choice. They generally cost more than most other insurance but the extra benefits aren't worth it. So I switched. It wasn't right for me.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Peter, I'm so sorry to hear about your experience and would be happy to put you in contact with a supervisor to address your concerns. Please private message us your full name and best contact number or you may email us at usfeedback@wawanesa.com with your information.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Vehicle accident May 13, 2018 sustained damage. Insurance company issued a check for partial damage (tie rod end and body). Car deemed UNSAFE to drive due to differential damage. Waiting 6 months. Wawanesa REFUSED to cover claim and says the damage to the differential was preexisting. Tried to call corporate no answer. I paid the insurance renewal in May when the accident happened and have full coverage on a 2007 car. Renewal is due again in November and premium is going up. How can an insurance company only pay for partial damage when the vehicle was driving fine prior to the tie rod break and vehicle landed on top of a raised berm? Although no outer damage was noticed, they cannot guarantee me that internal damage was not caused by the incident and refuse to pay for internal inspection.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Vernestine, we're sorry about the frustration you experienced regarding the claim and your vehicle. We'd be glad to have supervisor give you a call to review the situation and answer your questions. Please email us at usfeedback@wawanesa.com with your information and best contact number and someone will be in touch as soon as possible.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I just got my new policy renewal from Wawanesa. Once again my rates have been increased. Nothing has changed, no accidents, no tickets. The last time it changed (which was the prior 6 month policy) I was told that there is an increase in my area. Why is my car getting older, but my policy keeps getting more expensive? There is no reason to be raising my rates. If anything they should start going down. Wawanesa can you please explain this to me? Thank you.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Maris, we would love to get you in touch with a specialist to thoroughly review your renewal offer with you. We kindly ask for you to private message us your full name and best contact number, or you may email us at usfeedback@wawanesa.com with your information.

*Update 10/18/2018* Thank you for allowing our Specialist to speak with you to review your renewal offer and premium. Feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I am saddened to write this review as I have been a customer of Wawanesa for 35 years. This company has lost its heart and soul. I was talked into getting appliance insurance to cover all my appliances. The $500 deductible is bad enough, but when I put in a claim and jumped though all the hoops over 5 weeks, just to be informed "Claim Denied". For all you people who have this coverage and have an electric glasstop cooktop, you should be informed that the glasstop is excluded from coverage. Even if it breaks for any unknown reason. It would have been simple for Wawanesa to have told me this upfront, instead of 5 weeks later at the end of the claim process. I consider this incompetence. This company is full of red tape and don't have enough people to run it properly and the people that work there don't have the proper skills to do their jobs. All you have done is raise my premiums every year only to give me the excuse that it isn't a covered claim.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Tony, I'm so sorry to hear about your experience and would be happy to put you in contact with a supervisor to receive your feedback and look into the issue. Please kindly email us at usfeedback@wawanesa.com with your full name, claim number and best contact number.

*Update 10/12/2018* Thank you for allowing our Claims Supervisor to speak with you and resolve the problems with your claim. Feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance Company Information