Find a Car Insurance partner

2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

2.0/5 (179 ratings)
Find a Car Insurance partner

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About Wawanesa Auto Insurance

Wawanesa offers auto, home, renters and condo insurance to clients in Canada, Oregon and California. It provides competitive rates for its auto coverage policies, which come with flexible payment terms and the ability to file claims 24/7. The company offers free quotes and same-day coverage.

Pros

• Flexible payment terms
  • 24/7 claims
  • Competitive rates

Cons

• Some customer complaints
  • Limited availability

Bottom Line

Wawanesa insures vehicles in Canada, California and Oregon. It offers flexible payment options, customized policies, free quotes, same-day coverage and 24/7 claim opportunities. It has some mixed reviews.

Top Wawanesa Auto Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I've been a Wawanesa Oregon customer since March of 2017. I've not had a single problem. Customer service is fabulous. Everyone is very friendly and professional! Out of all the i...

Verified

I have been with Wawanesa for my auto insurance for over 30 years… A few times I thought to check rates at other insurance companies and once they heard I had Wawanesa, they said ...

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

What is Wawanesa auto insurance?

Wawanesa is a car insurance provider that services California, Oregon and Canada. Its auto policies range from basic liability coverage to fully comprehensive insurance with collision and medical coverage. You can request quotes online or over the phone, but you’ll have to purchase a policy from a phone representative or local insurance broker. Other Wawanesa insurance offerings include homeowners, renters and condo insurance.

How does Wawanesa auto insurance work?

To get started with Wawanesa, request a quote online or over the phone. You’ll supply info about your vehicle and driving history — only drivers who’ve been licensed for at least three years and had no more than one violation or at-fault accident in the last three years are eligible. In addition to standard coverage, Wawanesa also offers optional coverage including roadside assistance, rental reimbursement and manufacturer replacement part coverage.

Once you’ve customized your coverage, you’ll then buy your policy from a Wawanesa agent, who can apply any discounts you qualify for to help you get the best coverage for your needs.

Wawanesa car insurance quotes and costs

Prices for Wawanesa’s car insurance policies depend on your vehicle and driving history. Premium costs can range significantly; California and Oregon drivers might pay between $600 and $2,000 per year for coverage. The company offers flexible pay options, including upfront, partial and monthly recurring payments, though partial payments require an installment fee. Request a free quote online or over the phone for customized pricing.

Wawanesa auto insurance FAQ

Does Wawanesa cover drivers in Mexico?
No, Wawanesa doesn’t offer coverage for drivers in Mexico.
How do you cancel Wawanesa car insurance?
To cancel your Wawanesa policy, contact your insurance broker, whose contact information should be on your policy documents.
Where is Wawanesa car insurance available?
Wawanesa is available in California, Oregon and Canada. Visit its website to find a broker near you.
Does Wawanesa offer a comprehensive car insurance policy?
Yes, Wawanesa offers comprehensive policies, which cover fire, theft and other disasters, with additional coverage options.

Is Wawanesa car insurance good?

Wawanesa offers competitive insurance rates, comprehensive coverage options and 24/7 claims services. You have to purchase policies over the phone, though the company provides free quotes online. Some eligibility restrictions apply, and some customers have complained about Wawanesa’s service, so make sure to read reviews in your area before choosing your coverage.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wawanesa Auto Insurance?

Original review: June 16, 2021

This company acts in bad faith handling claims and has refused to release my car to a transport company to pick it up after it was stolen in April. It is now June. I was told I could arrange pick up and Cheryl ** is refusing to allow me to get my vehicle. That is against state law. They do not own this car and they have not paid for it. They’re still attempting to investigate their ** story.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Sheena, due to your being represented by an attorney, we’re lawfully prevented from commenting about your open claim or speaking directly to you. However, your attorney can contact us at anytime as we want to be responsive to your and their concerns, please have them contact us at 1-877-220-2191.

Original review: May 15, 2021

I've used Wawanesa years ago and currently. Always great service with very polite and helpful customer service! Love this company!! Ive had 2 car accidents in my life and they took care of everything for me. I was given a rental along with an agent who helped me through the entire process.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Georgia, thank you for your kind review! We are happy to hear that we were able to take care of you during such a stressful time. We thank you for your loyalty and look forward to many more years of providing you with great service.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

I filed a claim a few days after it happened. They would call and update me in the beginning, but a month later they decided to close the claim. On the letter they sent, it explicitly said “call us to reopen the case” but when I called, they said they can’t do it and never explained why the other party will not claim responsibility for the accident or pay for the damages. They will not fight for you, you’re better off with another insurance.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Marielle, we apologize for any miscommunication but a supervisor left you a voicemail and sent an email today advising that since the other party was uninsured, we are able to handle your claim and waive your deductible for you. Please contact us at your earliest convenience so that we may assist you.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

Okay, first of all, I used to recommend Wawanesa to EVERYONE in my life. I know, for sure, I have switched 9 people over to Wawanesa leaving their existing insurance companies. That number is most likely higher as I've told sooo many people about them. Then this happened: I had been with Wawanesa for a long time with auto pay for my billing cycle.

Fast forward to January 2020 and I was hit with Corona virus really really bad. It got to the point of it almost taking my life. Fortunately I am very strong and knew I would defeat it. My guardian angels were seriously working over time for me. This took quite some time and somewhere during my fight to survive, my bills had gotten skipped and Wawanesa canceled my policy. Okay I understand that. However I had no idea this had happened and many months later I was finally catching up on my bank statements and realized, oh my gosh Wawanesa wasn't anywhere to be found. So I called them up and explained what had Happened and apologized over and over. The agent reassured me Multiple times that we could pick up where I left off and I could get my beloved insurance back on track.

After many questions (the usual) the once kind man returned to the phone with a very harsh/rude and judgmental tone and told me I had an accident on my record. Let's Back track, last May 2019, I was driving to my fiancé's dad's house at 11:00pm and a huge Bull elk ran in front of my jeep. As I swerved to miss it, I flipped my Grand Cherokee 3 times end over end, only to land upside down 148 feet away from a sheer 350 foot cliff that plummeted into the depths of the ocean. This is Located along Highway 101 on the Oregon coast. Long story short, I am a walking miracle because I made it out alive. It was very very scary and very very bad.

Well unfortunately when I called my insurance to report it and make a claim the lady agent at Wawanesa told me they couldn't cover it because I swerved and didn't hit the elk square on. Thus it was 'my' fault. Well after an hour of being stuck in my seat/seat belt, upside down confused and scared, I was finally pulled out by two teenagers that thought my Jeep was going to explode due to the mutilated condition it was in. An hour after that the paramedics and a police officer finally arrived.

After seeing the carnage of my wreck and me standing in front of him to tell him what happened, The police officer looked at me as if I were a ghost. He then proceeded to tell me, a lady in a similar vehicle 'hit' a bull elk square-on, about 3 weeks earlier, and she was killed on impact. The elk blasted right thru her window. He was the first one to the crash and the Crazy thing was is She was on the SAME stretch of highway I was on!. I explained this to the agent and told her, if I had not swerved, I would have hit that elk and been killed on impact. So swerving saved my life. But still, she said, 'yeah, sorry that's just how it is.' Bummer.. but I understood and moved on. Its just how these things go.

Moving forward to the man on the phone who said I had an accident on my record, he said since that happened he can Not help me whatsoever. And treated me as if I was some type of criminal or something. I was shocked. He then proceeded to tell me some 3rd party insurer miiight help me. Gave me the number and quickly got off the phone. I am just so upset. On the website Wawanesa says they forgive one accident. I've been a Loyal member for a long time and had held them so high in my life. I had never had a claim before that accident. So this sucks. I feel so stupid for thinking they would understand and respect me the way I had respected them. :'(.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Tessa, we first want to sincerely apologize for our delay in responding to your post. We're truly sorry to hear about your experience and are happy to hear you're doing well. If you're still in need of insurance we'd really like to get in touch with you regarding your situation to see if there's anything we can do for you. We appreciate you as a former customer and would like to put you in touch with our Customer Relations team so that we can review your options.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2021

Disastrous and obnoxious rates. As if my current insurance rates with you weren't enough, you went on to send a renewal policy with a sweet $600 odd despite having no accidents or tickets AND putting me on Auto Renewal. On what basis do you even calculate the rates for a person having more than 8 years of North American Driving experience?

My broker chose this company last year due to some miscommunication and I ended up paying a heavy 500 odd per month. Hold on - I'm a G License Holder with 7 years of experience in the US. They didn't oblige for that experience entirely and cleverly deducted 3 years from it - for some crazy reason - only to keep the insurance on the high side. Still, I had to go with this fraud company for a year thinking they would reduce the rates during renewal. BUT NO! They went to increase by 100 per month. FOR WHAT??? NO ACCIDENTS OR CLAIMS OR TICKETS! What do you increase it for?

We are in a Pandemic where people are struggling to meet ends, and here we have this insurance company with no empathy - blissfully doing rings around increasing the rates, even double for a few of them. I seriously hope someone files a lawsuit on these guys for the way they openly cheat their customers. I'm DONE with your insurance. STAY FAR AWAY! NEVER opt for Wawanesa.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Prithvi, we apologize for the frustration you're feeling and would like to put you in touch with someone who can help. We provide auto insurance policies to California and Oregon drivers and based on your displayed city and state not being either one of those, we want to ensure we get you to the right person to help. Please message us your best contact number so that we may provide that assistance.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

My wife and myself have been with Wawanesa for over 20 years always great service and great rates. We insure two vehicles and pay less for the two of them than most people pay for one vehicle. A 2007 MBZ and a 2015 Subaru. I don’t need any other quotes. Thank you.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Kirk, we thank you for this kind review and appreciate your continued loyalty!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2020

I had Wawanesa for auto insurance for several years and overall the service was good. The rates do fluctuate, and I decided to go somewhere else with better rates. However, when I called the agent to cancel, she did not actually cancel my policy and I was charged for my cancelled policy. No problem I thought, mistakes happen. Of course, I call and the agent explains that I will need to send a picture of my bank statement to verify the charge had cleared. (This is honestly an outdated policy, customers shouldn’t be responsible to rectify mistakes and, like most other big companies, Wawanesa should be able to verify charges without the need to see my PERSONAL bank statement. Very invasive/weird way to work things.) On top of that, the agent explained that If that charges had made my account negative they wouldn’t be able to reissue the charge as negative charges get sent back.

I hope wawanesa agents realize the negative charges can go through and the bank will simply charge overdraft fees to the person. The logic behind it did not make sense. It does not apply to me as my account isn’t negative but God forbid if the charge made my account negative. I had to talk to literally five agents. Several told me they would “rush” my refund, another told me it would take five business days, well I called back today and was told a whole 15 BUSINESS DAYS to return my funds. If it takes over two weeks for them to process refunds to customers due to mistakes they made is outrageous. the system is really outdated because there is no way it takes weeks to return money. I wish they would reconsider updating their system as it’s not really customer service friendly. I am a poor college student who lost my job due to covid and I NEED my money. Freaking ridiculous. I had good service up until the point I decided to cancel.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Stephanie, we would like to get you in touch with you to discuss your concerns. Unfortunately, we were unable to reach you by the number we have on file and a supervisor recently reach out to you via email. Please reach out to the supervisor at his provided contact information if you'd like to further discuss this issue.

Resolution response: Sept. 17, 2020

Thank you for responding to my complaint and reimbursing me for the tow service. When I spoke to your representative they were very helpful. Hopefully in the future you'll be able to offer roadside assistance for older cars.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

Yesterday my car broke down and I called for tow service and I found out I no longer qualify for roadside assistance I had to pay. I've been a policyholder for 2 years. I am pissed and looking for new insurance.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Rachal, thanks for speaking with our supervisor regarding your experience. We understand your frustration in the matter and can see that regardless if indicated in customer documentation, it can still lead to a poor experience for our customers. While it may take some time to implement a change to our program in the future, we're glad to have settled on a solution for the meantime. Thank you for bringing this to our attention and allowing us to improve our service to customers like you.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2020

I've been with Wawanesa for many many years but getting a hold of someone for service anymore is impossible. I had to leave repeated calls for my Broker that weren't returned. When I left a message they didn't make the changes to my coverage and I had to pay. I decided to try switching brokers, they told me I had to phone close to my policy being due and I did, then was told I needed a copy of the renewal so I waited for that and called again and I was told the agents are on vacation and there was no one there who could do that for me.

I left my number but that was a week and half ago. I've got a notice that if I didn't pay by renewal date it would be void so I tried to contact Wawanesa directly but there doesn't appear to be a way to do that because you are redirected back to the broker who won't answer the phone or fix your policy. Unless you are unemployed and have nothing better to do, I no longer recommend this company. I have one work day to left for renewal but the only thing they make easy is to send money. I'll be shopping around.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Shirley, thanks for reaching out. If you have concerns regarding your broker, we would be happy to ask someone in Canada to look into this for you as we only have access to assist US policyholders. In order to assist you with this, please private message us with your policy number and your preferred method of contact.

Original review: June 18, 2020

THE WORST INSURANCE COMPANY! ABSOLUTELY CANNOT BE TRUSTED! After 4 years of paying premiums and no accidents, they increased our premiums by 25% for no reason and the next year cancelled us with 2 weeks notice for again absolutely NO reason. And they cancelled us during the COVID-19 pandemic. While other insurance companies are helping policy holders Wawanesa is cancelling them. They may be cheaper but believe me you’ll pay in the long run.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Cory, we're sorry to hear about what you've described and would like to have a Specialist review your policy and provide assistance. Please message us your best contact number and we will put someone directly in touch to help.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance Company Information