Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates
1.84/5

Wawanesa Auto Insurance

Wawanesa Insurance offers auto, home, renters and condo insurance to clients in Canada, Oregon and California. Wawanesa is not an official carrier with InsuraMatch, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. Speak with an InsuraMatch representative for free quotes from multiple providers today.

BOTTOM LINE

Many reviewers have been with Progressive for more than 10 years.

PROS

• Competitive, low rates
  • Available nationwide
  • Offers accident forgiveness in many cases
  • Can file online or by phone

CONS

• Some customers find the website difficult to navigate
  • Rate increases can vary

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

Wawanesa Auto Insurance Reviews

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

Have never had any issues, price for insurance is reasonable. Have been with them for over 40 years, never any problems. Company has been in business for a long time, always a fair and equitable price for customers.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Helen, thank you for being a valued policyholder of over 40 years, WOW!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

Well I never really had any issues and we've been with them for 10 years now. They're pricing is affordable if you have a good driving record and the coverage is certainly sufficient. I don't like that their customer service hours are limited, and that they only have a San Diego office (probably because they're Canadian based). With that said, if you've got a good driving record I would recommend you give them a shot.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Nick, thank you for your many years of loyalty! Our agents are currently available Monday-Friday from 7:30am to 7:30pm and Saturday from 8:00am to 4:30pm and we've also made improvements to our website and introduced our new online Account Management Portal so that policyholders can access their information 24/7. We certainly want to be there to support our policyholders when they need us. We appreciate your feedback and are planning to expand our hours in the near future.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Long time customer (like 30 years). Wawanesa has always been good to me. Like others I dislike the 6 month pay program. And I can see how sending a pic of damage to a car could cause some confusion in assessing a correct amount to cover the damage. But other than those two policies I've found Wawanesa to be prompt in coverage of damages and amounts to cover the damage more than enough. My personal experience on the few mishaps I've had is that once contacted they've had an adjuster come to my house within a couple days and once written up I've had a check in my mailbox within 10 days thereafter made out to me. And me alone so I'm free to pick whoever I want to fix the damage.

From my experience I'm really surprised to see these negative posts. But I'd be willing to guess that if you were to research ANY insurance company you'd find some site where people are posting bad reviews. I've stayed on top of researching rates every year and I can't imagine as one poster here stated that they got a 600 dollar cheaper rate with another carrier. Usually it's one of my friends that I've referred to Wawanesa that ends up saving 600 bucks. And, for better coverage. Ya, the six month pay period sucks. But it is a little inconvenience for a better policy. Obviously I'm disappointed to read where Wawanesa has fallen down on the job with so many. This site is my first experience hearing anything bad about the company.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Jim, thank you for being a longtime policyholder and for your honest review. We strive to provide our policyholders outstanding service and excellent rates, and will continue to do so as you've experienced first-hand over the past few decades. We encourage you to let us know promptly should you ever feel unsatisfied or have any questions or concerns. Thank you for your business and we gladly look forward to servicing you for another 30 or more years!

Original review: April 4, 2019

Been a policyholder for over 10 years now. No one can come close to beating their rates, and I check yearly. We have 5 drivers on the policy, 3 of which are our sons. When I was hit by a drunk driver and when I was hit by a driver that was texting and driving, my rates never went up, I never got dinged in any way and Wawanesa took care of everything for me and I was never inconvenienced in any way, besides the actual accident itself. I always recommend Wawanesa to everyone, I trust them completely and it's refreshing to deal with an insurance company that doesn't gouge you and takes care of you.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Katherine, thank you for your kind review and your many years of loyalty. We are very happy to hear that we were able to take care of you during such a stressful time and look forward to many more years of providing you with great service!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

Me, like many reviews have noticed an increase in the auto insurance. Being proactive, I decided to get quotes from other companies. Well, premiums were going to cost me $30+ a month with another insurance company. I am sticking to Wawanesa.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Jackie, thanks for continuing to choose Wawanesa. We appreciate your rating and review and are glad to still be able to offer you competitive rates. We look forward to insuring you long into the future!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wawanesa Auto Insurance?

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

I submitted a claim recently with Wawanesa Insurance after some damage occurred to my car when I parked it in my apt complex's guest parking overnight. There was damage to the windshield and right fender. I had no idea what occurred. Instead of assisting me with my claim, they assigned me to one of their claim adjusters who basically called me a liar. She said my car was in motion, hit a cement post and the windshield damage was another accident. This is without any proof. So a total in damages of $1377 was reduced to basically nothing, and they gave me a check for $60 to cover my damages. Just a deceptive and dishonest company.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi George, we're sorry to hear about your frustration with your recent claim experience and outcome. We could have someone from our claims leadership team reach out to you to answer any questions you have and address your concerns. Please message us your best contact number if you're interested.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

My mother was a long time policyholder (over 25 years) for homeowners and auto insurance. After her sudden death, this company was so difficult to work with and offered so little guidance. As if it wasn't bad enough losing my mother but to get the runaround and then cancel all policies with no options was ridiculous. I understand they have policies but some assistance and sympathy during this terrible time would have been appreciated.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

*Update 8/30/19* Kristyn, thank you for speaking with one of our supervisors to share your experience and for allowing us the chance to provide coaching to our staff members. We appreciate your time and please do not hesitate to contact the supervisor directly should there be anything further we can do to assist you during this difficult time.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2019

If you get into an accident no matter how big or small they won't assist you and often will breach their contract of good faith. They will delay, delay, delay to encourage you to give up and will not perform their duty as an insurance provider. Also they don't do any of the work and will make you do your own investigation and submit evidence which is their job and what you pay them for. You are guilty from the start and even after presenting enough evidence they won't help you and create more distress. I advise anyone using this company to file a complaint with their state insurance commissioner if they have been harmed.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Leah, we apologize for the frustration you're feeling regarding your claim. If you'd like to have a supervisor reach out to discuss your concerns, please message us your best contact number and claim number.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

I had a bad experience when I called for a Roadside Assistance. My car keys and phone got locked In the car on my birthday. I just borrowed a random guy's phone in the parking lot to call but the guy assisted me took too long to process it. The guy I talked to said there is someone coming but I waited for 1 hr and 30 mins but no one came. I called up again and borrowed the security phone, this time the guy I talked to said someone already came and did the job but no one came. He said he's sending another service to unlocked my car but I don't want to keep waiting so I get creative. I took two small branches and tie it with my shoe laces and try to get the keys out because my car windows are slightly open. I got car key out. And ended up not getting any service from you. I'm so disappointed because it was my birthday, I really want to go home and celebrate and I'm also having a bad day then this happened. :(

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Cyrene, we sincerely apologize that you had this experience, and on your birthday no less. Your feedback regarding the roadside assistance vendor we use is extremely valuable and we'd like to have a supervisor contact you regarding this. We kindly ask that you message us with your policy number and best contact number. We hope to hear back from you and appreciate you sharing this with us.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

UPDATED 08/14/2019:1.5weeks after leaving Slaims supervisor (Annett Howell) a message to call back I'm still waiting. The regular claims guy called back and had no updates. I insisted a call back from a supervisor and he told me that would be tomorrow... thats 1.5 weeks ago

I got a notice from Wawanesa's lawyer claiming my ins terms had verbiage about required testimony under oath. He lied; that doesn't exist. I have my terms and sent it to him. Again I haven't heard back from him in 1.5 weeks either..

I'm getting no transparency or responses.

ORIGINAL REVIEW 08/07/2019:I've had some bad luck with a few comprehensive claims in the past 4 yrs or so.. Long story short my car was damaged when parked unattended. They're making me feel like a crook trying to have my car repaired. This time my car was scratched, and my windshield was covered; I figured it was scratched up too much to drive around (did turn out the body shop was able to polish it up with some exceptions of chips that came of this). I called Wawanesa and told them that I would just drop off the car and they could work on the claim with the shop directly. They didn't approve a rental, saying they needed to determine if the car was undriveable. I explained that I could not see out my windshield and wasn't comfortable driving it around. So I took the car in. I tried several times to get an update, as I was paying out of pocket for a rental car. Next contact was 3 WEEKS to get their appraiser or adjuster to approve the claim.

3 Weeks later I get a call from a guy named Aaron (no last name), he's treating me completely unprofessional; and tells me to take my car back now that the windshield was cleaned. He informs me that a Private investigator will call me. I pick up my car and get a call from the PI; meet with him. I had no problems cooperating. No contact for 2 weeks; I requested updates and nothing. 2 Weeks later a Lawyer calls me requesting phone records, financials, etc. This morning we sent me an email that says: 'We spoke on Monday and I told you I was retained to represent Wawanesa General Insurance Company with respect to your insurance claim with them. Sadly, we did not get you the letter I promised but you will have it today. I will then call you to discuss. The date for your Examination Under Oath can be moved and we can jointly agree on a location. We will discuss the records request during our call.'

Are they kidding me? They are treating me like a criminal. I called and asked for a supervisor; left a message for one. The same Aaron (no last name but says he's Wawanesa investigator) calls me and would give me details. I requested a supervisor again and he told me he/she is out today. I requested a call tomorrow. WTF is this? and Examination under Oath? I don't know what tricks they are trying to pull but this is not normal. This is a personal property claim, I'm a client that pays for insurance. RUN AWAY FROM SHADY COMPANIES AND GO TO A BIG REPUTABLE ONE. I'm done with Wawanesa. Worst experience ever!!

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Mike, thank you for speaking with our Claims Division Supervisor. Please accept our apologies for a Claims Supervisor not contacting you sooner. We appreciate your patience as we work through the claims process with you. Should you have any further questions or concerns please reach out to the Claims Division Supervisor you spoke with to discuss this matter.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance Company Information