2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.95/5

Wawanesa Insurance offers auto, home, renters and condo insurance to clients in Canada, Oregon and California. Wawanesa is not an official carrier with InsuraMatch, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. Speak with an InsuraMatch representative for free quotes from multiple providers today.

BOTTOM LINE

Many reviewers have been with Progressive for more than 10 years.

PROS

• Competitive, low rates
  • Available nationwide
  • Offers accident forgiveness in many cases
  • Can file online or by phone

CONS

• Some customers find the website difficult to navigate
  • Rate increases can vary

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

Wawanesa Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wawanesa Auto Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wawanesa Auto Insurance?

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

Wawanesa Insurance was recommended to me by a friend in the Insurance business around 18 years back. I have had Automobile coverage with them since then. All these years, I would simply pay the premium and hope I never have to make a claim (against any insurance company :)). While Low rates get you in the door, it is critical to know how an insurance company handles your claim, when and if it happens. In the past few years, I made a couple of roadside assistance claims. Handled promptly and well, and I was on my merry way each time in a timely fashion.

Recently, I had an accident. Everyone from the person who took my report over the phone and helped me with a tow to the team of claims adjusters both internal (repairs to my car) and external (to the other vehicle), were kind, gentle, sensitive, professional and helpful. It really helped calm me down from the day of the accident to the weeks the claims were settled. They communicated with me regularly, responded promptly, and provided me with updates. The claims adjuster asked me to describe what happened, and I did. Based on our conversations, he said, "We would accept liability for the accident (I was making a left turn)." He handled the issue completely and promptly settled with the other party. I just had to respond to some forms and information.

My car: I dropped off my damaged vehicle at a Wawanesa approved repair facility. I made it clear to the repair facility, that I would very much like the car to be fixed, rather than totalled. The repair estimate showed me that it was high enough to go either way. Never had to follow up with the Wawanesa group about my car. The repair place also provided regular updates via e-mail. On the agreed date, I went to the shop, and my car was repaired, and it is as it was before the fender bender.

My Rates: For 17 years with a great driving record, my rates were really low. They did go up some as time went on, reflecting the cost of the insurance business. Now, after the accident, my rate has gone up, but not too much. They are still affordable, and I believe less than rates offered by most other insurance companies for a clean driving record. So very happy with Wawanesa (especially in my time of need). I hope I can keep paying them by continuing to be a customer, but not have to make a claim again.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi La, thank you so much for sharing your experience and for being a longtime policyholder. We're so glad that our team has always taken excellent care of you, especially during the claim as it can be a stressful time for anyone. We look forward to servicing you for many more years to come.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

We have been insured with Wawanesa for 23 years. For the 1st time we filed a claim due to my hitting our garage post. Everybody from Shelby ** to Darren ** and the entire Claim Service Team were soooo helpful and understanding. We were kept appraised of every action including car rental coverage. We chose our own auto collision center to repair the damage and are very happy with the results. Thank you Wawanesa for allowing the car not to be a total loss.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi T, thank you for sharing your positive experience from our claims team. We look forward to many more years of providing you with great service when you need us most.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

Have never had any issues, price for insurance is reasonable. Have been with them for over 40 years, never any problems. Company has been in business for a long time, always a fair and equitable price for customers.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Helen, thank you for being a valued policyholder of over 40 years, WOW!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

Well I never really had any issues and we've been with them for 10 years now. They're pricing is affordable if you have a good driving record and the coverage is certainly sufficient. I don't like that their customer service hours are limited, and that they only have a San Diego office (probably because they're Canadian based). With that said, if you've got a good driving record I would recommend you give them a shot.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Nick, thank you for your many years of loyalty! Our agents are currently available Monday-Friday from 7:30am to 7:30pm and Saturday from 8:00am to 4:30pm and we've also made improvements to our website and introduced our new online Account Management Portal so that policyholders can access their information 24/7. We certainly want to be there to support our policyholders when they need us. We appreciate your feedback and are planning to expand our hours in the near future.

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
    Original review: June 18, 2020

THE WORST INSURANCE COMPANY! ABSOLUTELY CANNOT BE TRUSTED! After 4 years of paying premiums and no accidents, they increased our premiums by 25% for no reason and the next year cancelled us with 2 weeks notice for again absolutely NO reason. And they cancelled us during the COVID-19 pandemic. While other insurance companies are helping policy holders Wawanesa is cancelling them. They may be cheaper but believe me you’ll pay in the long run.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Cory, we're sorry to hear about what you've described and would like to have a Specialist review your policy and provide assistance. Please message us your best contact number and we will put someone directly in touch to help.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2020

I've never been so stressed out, as I am today. Wawanesa tried to cut corners and prolong my claim and this is what happened. On Wednesday Dec 4th , I noticed there was water on my floor of my dream car and few electrical issues (tail lights malfunctioning) after a several day storm. I called to make a claim in which no shop was recommended due to the brand "Aston Martin", so I had the car towed to a relatives shop about an hour away that had owned the same model in the past and knew the car very well.

On Friday Dec 13th, the adjuster gave an estimate under deductible to remove & install panels & replace the carpet with a "pending shop invoice". I called and mentioned there is nothing regarding the tail light malfunction, or electrical malfunctions & I was told "this is the initial claim & the shop will supplement..." Monday Dec 16th, he removed the instrument panel & mold was discovered, immediately called Wawanesa and told them there is mold and they need to send a specialist to clean the mold before any new carpets or such are installed. They said they will send the adjuster again. On January 12th the adjuster goes back to the shop, and apparently now the mold is everywhere. They call me to tell me there is $47K worth of damage to my car and I will be contacted in a few days to go over a settlement amount as they are considering it a total loss.

Two days later I get a call saying it's in investigation instead of the settlement amount. Which they sent experts and investigators to take statements and requested my phone logs. Today Friday Feb 21, they called me and said, "We are closing the investigation and will not pay anything to fix your car as it was the shops fault for letting the mold spread." The shop tells me he's not a mold specialist, that it's very hazardous & doesn't want to get near the car, breath or touch it. And that he contacted the insurance immediately and they didn't send any till a month later. Instead of the problem being solved, it became worse and now they are not helping me, I don't know what to do anymore.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Thank you for speaking with our Claim Supervisor. The cost of your initial damage was covered. Unfortunately, the independent repair shop sealed the vehicle for weeks with wet carpets inside which caused damage to your vehicle. We guarantee the work of repair shops in our network of approved providers, but we're not able to guarantee the work of independent repair shops and they're liable for the damage they cause. Please contact the leader you spoke with if you have any questions.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

This is the worst experience I've had with a claims adjuster. I was rear ended by a Wawanesa driver. The adjuster was disinterested, rude and difficult to get a hold of and didn't return calls when I need to talk to them. More importantly the adjuster completely ignored the facts, evidence and my statement of the case and made up a story to suit her needs. She called me up to record my version with her mind already made up about the case. I know this because immediately after my phone testimony she denied my claim and said - get ready for this - "the insurance company always stands by their driver" - let that sink in. She had no interest whatsoever in listening to me.

In light of my multiple testimonies and pictures of the accident, she did not even consider the possibility that I was telling the truth that I got rear ended (even when the other driver admitted to "drifting off"). Wawanesa also have not contacted my insurance company which has left multiple messages them them. The adjuster categorically concluded that I caused the accident which was not even close to possible given the facts. All I was looking for was to have my car repaired after being rear ended. I will now settle my claim in small claims court.

A few years ago I was struck by someone who had an honest insurance company with professional service and cheerfully set me up for repairs in a week (State Farm). If I ever need insurance I will never get it from these dishonest folk. If I'm a client of Wawanesa and need a claim I don't think they will work with you. This company does not strike me as one with a meaningful purpose. This experience with them has left me furious, frustrated and pessimistic. My message to Wawanesa is; You should honor your moral obligations otherwise how can people trust you.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

*Updated 2/3/20* Stephen, thank you for taking the time to speak with our Claims Supervisor. We apologize for the frustration that this accident has caused you. In a situation like your accident where there are conflicting accounts and no witnesses, insurers often need to consider evidence of damage. We use the physical damage evidence to both vehicles to support our decision. If you have any questions, please contact our Claims Supervisor.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

This insurance company is not reliable. After they settle accident - they will not back you up for any additional repairs, warranty. They will side more with the auto body shop that they work with. High premium that keeps going up every year, but for that - they should at least make the effort to give you a good experience and service. Switch and bait must be their mission!

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Pat, we would like to have your claim reviewed by a supervisor to address your concerns. Please message us your best contact number and we'll put someone in touch.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

I have unfortunately had two claims in the past year for issues in my condo and both times I have been shorted on payouts. The first time, I was advised that if the actual repair work exceeded the original estimate, that I would be compensated for the difference. Instead, I was met with silence after several emails and finally gave up and had to use a cheaper contractor.

On the second claim, which took about 2 months to close due to each phone call and email between me and my adjuster taking 48 hours to answer, I had to remind my adjuster that she missed one item that was damaged after my settlement came. She told me to provide receipts and pictures, which I did. The item in question (a mattress box spring) had already been photographed by the plumber sent by Wawanesa as well as the field adjuster who was sent to view my home, so there was no omitting this item. Again, I'm being met with silence.

It seems that when you have a claim with this company, there is no urgency in solving it and in fact you have to become your own project manager to keep things moving along. I didn't realize I was going to be taking on another full time job simply because I had a claim that wasn't my fault. At any rate, after two times, I think it's time to change providers.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Kelly, we're sorry for the frustration you've experienced regarding the handling of your claims and would like to get this escalated for you. Please private message us your policy number and best contact number so that we may have someone review your file and reach out to you.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

I’ve had Wawanesa auto insurance for, roughly, 20 years. Zero accidents, zero claims. On our recent renewal our rate increased 20%. Turns out it was because our parked motorcycle (not insured by Wawanesa) fell over and the CHP made a report of it. No damage, no claim, no payout. Just an excuse to raise our rate. We’ve had homeowner’s insurance with Wawanesa for one year. Just learned they’re not renewing because we have a hobby vineyard - not commercial. Lesson learned - I can’t afford cheap insurance. It’s like the airlines. Teaser rates and then look for any excuse to make you bleed. Strongly advise looking elsewhere.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response
    Hi David, we apologize for the frustration you're feeling regarding your policies and would like to have your concerns looked into. Please message us with your best contact number and we can have someone review your policies and reach out directly.

*Update 1/17/20* David, thank you for taking time to speak with our Senior Underwriter today. As discussed, should you wish to continue your auto policy with us, please give our Customer Service team a call.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance Company Information