Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes
1.96/5

Wawanesa Auto Insurance

Wawanesa Insurance offers auto, home, renters and condo insurance to clients in Canada, Oregon and California. Wawanesa is not an official carrier with InsuraMatch, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. Speak with an InsuraMatch representative for free quotes from multiple providers today.

Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes

121 Wawanesa Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

Vehicle accident May 13, 2018 sustained damage. Insurance company issued a check for partial damage (tie rod end and body). Car deemed UNSAFE to drive due to differential damage. Waiting 6 months. Wawanesa REFUSED to cover claim and says the damage to the differential was preexisting. Tried to call corporate no answer. I paid the insurance renewal in May when the accident happened and have full coverage on a 2007 car. Renewal is due again in November and premium is going up. How can an insurance company only pay for partial damage when the vehicle was driving fine prior to the tie rod break and vehicle landed on top of a raised berm? Although no outer damage was noticed, they cannot guarantee me that internal damage was not caused by the incident and refuse to pay for internal inspection.

Rated with 3 starsResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I just got my new policy renewal from Wawanesa. Once again my rates have been increased. Nothing has changed, no accidents, no tickets. The last time it changed (which was the prior 6 month policy) I was told that there is an increase in my area. Why is my car getting older, but my policy keeps getting more expensive? There is no reason to be raising my rates. If anything they should start going down. Wawanesa can you please explain this to me? Thank you.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Maris, we would love to get you in touch with a specialist to thoroughly review your renewal offer with you. We kindly ask for you to private message us your full name and best contact number, or you may email us at usfeedback@wawanesa.com with your information.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I am saddened to write this review as I have been a customer of Wawanesa for 35 years. This company has lost its heart and soul. I was talked into getting appliance insurance to cover all my appliances. The $500 deductible is bad enough, but when I put in a claim and jumped though all the hoops over 5 weeks, just to be informed "Claim Denied". For all you people who have this coverage and have an electric glasstop cooktop, you should be informed that the glasstop is excluded from coverage. Even if it breaks for any unknown reason. It would have been simple for Wawanesa to have told me this upfront, instead of 5 weeks later at the end of the claim process. I consider this incompetence. This company is full of red tape and don't have enough people to run it properly and the people that work there don't have the proper skills to do their jobs. All you have done is raise my premiums every year only to give me the excuse that it isn't a covered claim.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Tony, I'm so sorry to hear about your experience and would be happy to put you in contact with a supervisor to receive your feedback and look into the issue. Please kindly email us at usfeedback@wawanesa.com with your full name, claim number and best contact number.

*Update 10/12/2018* Thank you for allowing our Claims Supervisor to speak with you and resolve the problems with your claim. Feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2018

Is it just me, but I can't stand their website! Great company for car insurance, great prices and never had a issue. Been with them for 10 years, but paying online is a nightmare!!! Please spend a little money and update your website!

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Heather, thank you for your rating and review. We'll continue to work towards an improved online payment experience. We welcome you to share any additional feedback regarding your experience by emailing us at usfeedback@wawanesa.com . If we may also assist you with setup to our new Online Account customer portal, please provide us with your full name, policy number and best contact number.

Resolution response: Sept. 25, 2018

I am extremely shocked, to be honest. They actually extended our rental to cover the delay, in getting our car approved, for its repair. When I spoke with the supervisor, today, I was all set to hear, that they couldn't do anything for us, but no. They did. This is the customer service that I expected and received. It would have been nice if the adjuster, would have put in the request, and saved us some anxiety... Either way, customer service has been provided and I will happily change my review/star rating.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

My daughter, who is a teenager, was in an accident on August 23. She was making a left turn, so she was made at fault. We never disputed that. We filed our claim the next morning, on the 24th. I received a copy of the estimate to repair my car on the 30th. I should add, because this is what my dissatisfaction is regarding, that we pay for the rental car on our policy. We picked up the rental on August 25th. I emailed our adjuster on the 31st, asking when I could take the car in for repairs. I was continually told, that the estimate has not been uploaded into the claim file, so we have to wait for approval. I would email every few days, to find out what was going on. Always told, still waiting.

On September 10th, I finally heard that the car has been approved for repairs. 11 days, after I received my copy of the estimate. My car was being held in their storage facility. On September 11th, I heard from the body shop (a shop on the preferred list) that they have the authorization from Wawanesa, but the storage facility, was not given permission to release the car. Another email went out, and on the 12th the car was released. This is 12 days, after I got my copy. Our rental is for 30 days. I, again, sent another email requesting that they extend the rental car, for the 12-day delay. Was told flat out NO. I then sent an email to a supervisor, this past Tuesday, asking for this consideration. I told her, we only want the rental for the extra 12 days.

I received a response, that she'll review the file. Still no response, and the rental company called to remind us, the car needs to be back this Sunday. My car should be repaired, by October 5. We have filed 1 other claim, in almost 10 yrs. I didn’t call when the prices doubled. I didn’t complain. Now I am. The lack of any helpfulness is mind-boggling. I tried calling the supervisor, but no surprise, went straight to voicemail. I have done everything in writing, so I would have proof of my correspondence. I am so disappointed with them. I never had a problem before.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Ellen, I'm so sorry to hear about your claim experience. We appreciate your valuable feedback as well as your many years of loyalty. We will have someone review your claim and reach out to you directly.

*Update 9/25/2018* Thank you for giving us the opportunity to resolve your claim. Please feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wawanesa Auto Insurance?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I currently insure 5 vehicles with Wawanesa, was 6 but sold one. Now every 6 months I get a rate increase. This is with no claims or tickets etc on depreciating vehicles, get a response "we have a rate increase in Oregon". Have been with them for a while now but maybe not much longer.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response
Hi Duncan, thank you for your years of loyalty and as well for sharing your feedback. I can have a Specialist give your policy another careful review to look for any other possible savings and answer any questions you may have about the upcoming renewal.

*Update 9/21/2018* Thank you for giving us the opportunity to review your policy. We hope you are pleased with the outcome and look forward to continuing to service all your future insurance needs.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

An object hit my car while I was driving and damaged the front left end of my car. After calling Wawanesa to file a claim, they first said it was 100% my fault without even looking at the car. It took a week for the claim to even process. They are not even going to give me a rental car, so there is no way for my son to get to school. The car is still damaged and is sitting in my driveway (currently undrivable). I have paid the premium on time for the past 5-6 years, but there is no focus on the customer. They will not even pick up my phone now and they got mad at me for calling to see the progress of the claim. Extremely unprofessional insurance company. I am definitely going to look for a new one if this does not get resolved any time soon.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Jay, thank you for giving us the opportunity today to discuss your claim further with a supervisor. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact the handling adjuster.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Until about a year ago Wawanesa was a good insurance company with decent customer service. They tried to force me to go to a body shop that was not close to where I live. I went to another body shop and Wawanesa is not timely with getting back to the body shop about some sort of an authorization. I have called a couple of times, and I can’t reach the claims adjuster. This is not acceptable.

Hi Christine,

Thank you for your feedback and I'm sorry to hear about the delays you're experiencing with your claim. I'd like to have a supervisor review and contact you to address your concerns and provide help. Please email us at usfeedback@wawanesa.com with your name, claim number, policy number, and best contact phone number.

*Update 9/19/18* Thank you for giving us the opportunity to resolve your claim. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact your adjuster.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

When you accident no matter how minor it is be sure to get an attorney because if you don't regardless if it wasn't your fault Wawanesa still say you are at fault 100%. I don't know if they do in purpose so they can increase your premium but I noticing that everytime minor accident when I don't have attorney they told me I'm at fault 100% even obviously it was the other party fault even one time police report say that it wasn't my fault. Only that time when I show them the report and they changed it to I'm not at fault. So be careful.

Hi Trinh,

Thank you for your feedback about your claims experience and I am sorry you have had a difficult time. In order to better assist you, please email us at usfeedback@wawanesa.com. We kindly ask that you include your full name, policy number, phone number, and any other information you feel is relevant to your claim so that we may have a supervisor review and contact you to address your concerns.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I am 75 years old with a perfect driving record and on a fixed income. My 6 month payment has gone up $85 with no warning. I contacted customer service only to be told they don't have to let anyone know.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Sean, thank you for your feedback. We kindly ask you to email us at usfeedback@wawanesa.com with your full name, policy number, and phone number so an agent can review your policy in detail with you to look for any other possible savings and answer any questions you may have.

*Update 8/27/18* Thank you for the additional information Sean. We were able to contact your father and reviewed the policy in detail with him.

Original review: July 9, 2018

Where do I begin? I would like to say that I was very happy with the service I was provided two years ago and referred the company to many of my entourage. However, it all goes downhill from a month ago. I am afraid I no longer have anything good to say about this company. I made an automobile claim in early May. Only to receive a letter two weeks afterward to tell me that they were no longer going to insure me this upcoming July 9th. My claims were a cracked windshield due to a rock, a non-guilty claim (victim of a hit-and-run). And now, another that I am not guilty for, for a total of 3 claims.

Here is the problem: My vehicle is due for repair the 16th of July, therefore unable to find another company who will insure me. The file is simply not closed! Now I have called numerous times and have always acted in a professional manner since I also work in customer service. They have transferred me to numerous departments because they all calling they cannot fix the issue. Their reasons are: "I have no power over this, once the letter is sent, we cannot do anything. Let me transfer you..."

I am honestly getting very impatient and I have made a complaint with GAA. They told me that what they aren’t doing is not permitted and that they were to force Wawanesa to give me another contract of a year duration if they were not going to comply. I followed all the procedures, but was hoping that they’d make things simpler. This is so unfortunate, I feel bad for the others who have been having issues with this company, for their employees who seem to lack training and capabilities due to their system, and for everyone who I referred to the company.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Francis, I see from your posting you live in Quebec. Please understand that we are concerned about your experience but represent the US company. We have forwarded your information to Quebec Customer Service and please feel free to reach out to them at talktous@wawanesa.com.

Original review: July 2, 2018

Let me start by saying, I have been with Wawanesa for over 20 years with not one incident. A few years ago, they sent a letter with the title, "Exciting news for our policyholders!" Here's the exciting news. 1. The yearly policy is now a 6-month policy. 2. My previous yearly rate doubled. 3. Their customer service and wait time doubled. Over the years, I have recommended Wawanesa to many of my friends and family. Regretfully, they have become a company I cannot say one good thing about. After reading some of the reviews on this site, it appears that the enormous rate increases are systemic.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi David, thank you for your review and for being a long-time customer of Wawanesa. We’re sorry to hear that you’ve been experiencing issues lately and ask that you email us at marketingus@wawanesa.com with your full name, phone number, and policy number so we can follow up with you directly. Thank you again for your business.

Original review: July 2, 2018

I have insurance to my home and my cars since 2 years. To be honest I was happy until last month. My wife had an accident in her car and she got injured and carried by ambulance to hospital. After we left the hospital we called Wawanesa Insurance and told them what happen and since the first day we ask for hospital bills and we told, "Don’t worry. Later we gonna talk." After that procedures went smooth. They contact us telling us the car is total loss and each time we asked about hospital bills the answer later. After we got the answer for car total loss the connection between us and them was lost. I was calling the adjuster called Maria almost each day leaving her messages. No response. Also sending emails asking her about hospital and ambulance bills. Also send her a copy of those bills. Also no answer like somebody was ignoring my messages.

After 3 weeks I got the call from her telling me that my policy doesn’t cover medical expenses. Also she was very rude on the phone. For example telling me to go educate myself about insurance policy and all my fault was trying to ask her to explain me my policy and trying to tell her nobody explain me my policy before. Also I asked her, "Why did you ignore me for 3 weeks". Unfortunately no direct answer. She told me what difference it make 3 weeks less or more. After that I tried to reach her manager for another whole week. Finally I got the call from her supervisor a lady called Nickol. I told her all my concerns. She promised me she gonna investigate and get back to me within a week.

The week passed still waiting the call, also we bought another car. I called them to switch the policy from our old car to the new one 'cause our policy ends in August. I been told I have to pay for the new car. I told them ok so I paid through the phone to find out that they owe me money from the car was lost. I called again. All the answer I heard that somebody make a mistake and I should pay for switching the cars and I should wait 12 days until they gonna send me my money back (as it was my fault!!!). This is my experience with those guys.

Original review: June 30, 2018

Wawanesa hands down is the worst insurance company I have ever dealt with. I was hit by one of their clients who was 100% at fault. 2 months later I have yet to receive my vehicle back from the auto body due to Wawanesa’s horrible response time. They slow play everything, don’t respond, and overall make things extremely difficult. HORRIBLE! I will be taking legal action.

Hi Adam,
Thank you for your feedback on your claims experience. We are concerned to hear about your issue regarding your claim and would like to have one of our supervisors reach out. In order to better assist you, please email us at marketingus@wawanesa.com and include your full name, policy number, and any other information you feel is relevant to your claim.

Thank you.

Original review: June 15, 2018

Let me start by saying that I was a happy customer for 4 years. I made a couple of claims. None my fault and they were good, always will deduct my deductible and they will pay me the difference. I ran into a vandalism claim and that's when things went south. I made a claim not because I wanted Wawanesa to pay but because I wanted them to support me engage the party at fault to pay the damages.

I spoke with Wawanesa twice and they close my claim without notifying me or giving me a courtesy call, the first time I spoke with them was to make the claim and the second time was when my claim was transferred to a claims representative. Long story short, I took my car to a repair shop. They have an estimate lower than my deductible and Wawanesa just close my policy without notifying me that my claim was being closed, I gave them a call and I was just told that the damages were lower than my deductible and I have to pay for my damages. The whole reason I open a claim was for them to help me get the other party to pay for the damages but as long as they don't have to pay money they won't lift a finger for you. I'm pretty sure the story will be totally different if they had to pay thousands of dollars. I'm pretty sure they will call me more than twice.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Jorge, thank you for your feedback on your claims experience. We are concerned to hear about your issue regarding your vandalism claim. In order to better assist you, please email us at marketingus@wawanesa.com. We kindly ask that you please include your full name, policy number, and any other information you feel is relevant so that we may have a supervisor contact you.

Original review: June 12, 2018

My auto insurance is increasing every 6 months even though Department of Insurance has not approved the rate increase every 6 months. I got about $100 - $200 minimum increase every 6 months. My rate increased more than 300% within a few years. I know Department of Insurance has not approved the rate change for the period of 1/2018 - 12/2018 but they increased my premium anyway even though I did not have any violation during this period.

I called and talked to the rep who hung up on me when she could not answer my questions. I then wrote email from their secured site. After 2 days, while I am still active customer, they deleted my account and I could not write them anymore. Then I used regular email address and wrote them, they totally ignored my emails. They are basically telling me that I have to take it or leave but rate increase does not need approval from Department of Insurance. I had no choice (limited time to shop around this time) and paid higher premium. What a monopoly by Canadian company in the United States!!! Can Department of Insurance allow this kind of monopoly by Wawanesa? Please help!!

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi M, thank you for your feedback on your experience. We would very much like to have a manager reach out to you directly to discuss. Please email your full contact info and policy number to marketingus@wawanesa.com so that we can resolve and clarify these issues. We thank you for being a customer and taking the time to reach out with your concerns.

Original review: June 12, 2018

Wawanesa was good company until about 5 years ago. But they started increasing about 25% on auto insurance every 6 months. Within 3 years they increased 150% as rate adjustment approved by Department of Insurance (per Wawanesa, need to verify with DOI) and they increased 200% at the same time for 2 violations. So, within 3 years, my auto insurance increased by 350%. They know that you won't get better rate when you leave them with 2 violations. So, they rip you off. If you are in the same situation, you must file a complaint with DOI just the way I did. I will continue to make noise in the Internet until they start to listen and DOI starts investigation on Wawanesa's monopoly practices.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Raj, thank you for your feedback on your experience. We would very much like to have a manager reach out to you directly to discuss. Please email your full contact info and policy number to marketingus@wawanesa.com so that we can resolve and clarify these issues. We thank you for being a customer and taking the time to reach out with your concerns.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I recently moved out of Alberta to Ontario, I am looking to start a new insurance policy here. I phoned my broker, she informed me that it takes 3-4 weeks for me to get a simple letter of experience (which took all of an hour to receive in my email from State Farm). My broker put in a request and suggested I call Wawanesa directly and see if I have any luck with customer service, maybe they could speed it along. I have NEVER heard of a letter of experience taking more than a couple hours... When I just called (780) 469-5700, I spoke to the girl in the payments department, she was very rude. I explained that I'd like to start a new policy and need that letter so my insurance will be cheaper. She asked me which broker I spoke with, so she could call and ask why they're telling me these things (like how I should call them directly to request it). I told her I'm not going to get anyone in trouble, so she hung up on me. Awful, AWFUL customer service.

Hi Samantha,

We are concerned to hear about your issue regarding your experience and thank you for being a long time customer. In order to better assist you, please email us at marketingus@wawanesa.com and let us know if we are right in assuming that you are a Canadian customer so we can reach out to their office and make sure the right people reach out to you. We kindly ask that you please include your full name and policy number.

Original review: May 29, 2018

I experienced an incident where one of their insured vehicles backed up into my vehicle and this is where the nightmare began. The driver assumed fault, Wawanesa failed to get back with me or my insurance company for over (3) months and once I did get an opportunity to speak with someone he was not informed, unprofessional and was very disrespectful. The finding provided to my insurance company varied from the information provided to me once I informed them that the call would be recorded.

Any person in their right mind knows that it does not take (3) months for any insurance entity to find out if a driver is excluded, if so, run for the hills! This is something that you could find out in days if not immediately. I now have to take additional time off of work to take the driver to small claims court and I will be obtaining a lawyer to turn over the recorded call and subpoena the calls placed by my insurance company which clearly demonstrates fraud being committed. If you have an issue with Wawanesa it is important that you be persistent or seek legal counsel if need be as their unethical practices need to be brought to light.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Sharolyn, thank you for your feedback on your claims experience. We are concerned to hear about your issue regarding your claim. In order to better assist you, please email us at marketingus@wawanesa.com. We kindly ask that you please include your full name, claim number, and any other information you feel is relevant.

Original review: May 25, 2018

It always good to have this insurance coverage. When filing a claim, the broker contact the insurance company for me, next day I received a call from the adjuster, and few days after from the appraiser. But when I have to deal with a personal injury claim staff, she doesn't sounds too pleasant.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Chris, thank you for your feedback on your claims experience. We are concerned to hear about your issue regarding your experience with our claim staff. In order to better assist you, please email us at marketingus@wawanesa.com. We kindly ask that you please include your full name, policy number, and any other information you feel is relevant to your claim.

Original review: May 17, 2018

20 years of loyalty and referrals are toast, thanks to their lack of training and unprofessionalism. Before my most recent accident my last claim with them was 9 years ago. At that time they were the best insurance company around. Always fair with strong customer service skills. In the last year things have changed. Read any review on this company in the last year. They have dropped service in exchange for numbers. I’ll spare the readers all of the details simply because every other review tends to agree to issues such as doubled rates, falsifying fault, and low ball settlements. My complaint is about Donnelle **, and Meghan **.

Concerning Meghan, she was my claims representative. She tried to handle the claim, however her lack of customer service skills was too distracting to listen too. I’ve called Wawanesa many times over the decades and figured it was a one off from the norm. I called to ask for any other claims representative and was kicked to her boss Donnelle **. This is where things get strange. Donnelle seamed to be distracted during our conversation or she just didn’t care about the lack of service skills in her people. To top things off she flat out lied to me twice, and the began yelling at me that I was calling her a liar. In my experience people who shout “Are you calling me a liar?” are almost always full of it. First thing she told me was that it was against all rules to change claims representative, UNTRUE. With one email I got a new claims rep.

Secondly and more important is their low ball scam. Wawanesa will never pay you what your car is worth. They go low and if you don’t comply they will force you into an appraisal contest that you pay for out of your own pocket. The cost can run up to $500. I asked Donnelle ** how much it normally cost to get her response after showing no interest in complaint about poor customer service skills. I had already been told by 3 Wawanesa employs the cost, so it was a bit of a test. Donnelle ** made it clear to me she had no earthly idea how much it could cost to argue the amount of the loss. I found it extraordinary difficult to believe that she didn’t have the knowledge that 3 lower employees had of the top of their head. Then after catching her in a lie she begins to yell at the customer. Long story short, after 20 years of loyalty and referrals, I’m now looking for someone else.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Israel, We’re sorry to hear that you’ve been experiencing issues lately and want to assure you that the information we received has been passed through the appropriate channels. You should hear back from someone within the next 24 hours.

Original review: April 23, 2018

Wawanesa Auto Insurance always answer any questions correctly the 1st time. Saved enough on premiums to get earthquake ins. Had a wind damage claim at my home the next day.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Robert, thanks so much for leaving a review and for being a loyal customer. We’re happy to hear that you’ve had a positive experience with us all the way from the phone to home repairs. We look forward to assisting you in the future.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I was with Wawanesa for my auto insurance for 19 years and renters insurance for 9 months. Even though my house was stripped down to studs and the foundation and rebuilt, they wouldn't insure it because it was too old on the public records but they did insure my things after I sold my house. For most of my time with them they were absolutely outstanding. I only had 1 claim.

My car was a melted pile of aluminum after the 2003 Cedar Fire. I filed my claim the next day and had a check in my hand 5 days later with no red tape. Up until the beginning of 2017 I would have given them 5 stars. However, something happened and they plummeted into a dark hole. Calls were impossible - you would be on hold easily for an hour with no connection. If you left your number to be called back, it would take days for them to return your call, if at all! And of course, the call back would be random so it was unlikely that you would be there for their call so the frustration would continue.

I moved out of state and wrote them a notification of my address change, requesting my car and renters coverage be cancelled. I didn't get my refunds but was consumed by a complicated and difficult move so I just resigned to letting the refunds go after two attempts to call them about it failed (again - impossible to reach them by phone). Then I started getting bills! I was finally able to talk to a human and she treated me like I was lying. She said there were no problems with long phone waits and that I never put in an address change!

She finally said if I could prove I had other insurance to show I really did move at that time, she would send me a refund. I did and received a bill for another year!!! I sent a letter explaining the whole series of events along with a copy of my new insurance at the time of my move and all I got was a call saying they only received a notice of address change with that letter - 6 months later!!! So no refund on either policy, no apology, no acknowledgement of any of the things I stated in my letter. I am so angry and frustrated with them!!! It's not worth those consuming emotions so I'm just going to drop it.

Bottom line: They are impossible to contact, impossible to work with, horrible with their customer service and use their incompetence to hold onto money due their customers! On top of that, at about the same time the problems started, they increased their rates DRAMATICALLY with no explanation! I am SO glad to be done with them!!! I don't understand how or why they changed so drastically but I recommend you stay far away from them.

Hi Anne,

Original review: April 16, 2018

Due to a little bad luck on my part and being a victim of insurance fraud, Wawanesa canceled my policy after having been in business with them over 10 years. When I called to inquire why and reiterate the fraud part, I was told that they don't insure "bad drivers." Fine. No problem. I get it. So I go to Mercury. Then almost immediately after the policy expires, they start sending me, in the mail marketing material to insure with Wawanesa. When I call, they said I requested it which I did not. I asked to for myself and my wife to be removed from their lists. But they're still sending me quotes. I've called 3 times. Each time told I would no longer receive mail. Yet today, I get another mailer for my wife. I called today and asked to speak to a supervisor. Was told the supervisor would call... They didn't. This is not how you treat clients.

Original review: April 12, 2018

I have been with this company 24 straight years. ZERO tickets, ZERO accidents and my rates have gone up nearly double. When I called them for explanation they said it's not good for them as a company not to make a profit and they need to recuperate losses from paying out so many claims. I say how about you recoup your losses on those who have accidents and tickets instead of smashing their good customers with hefty rate increases, thanks Samantha (aka supervisor). NO good reason. I hope to find A new insurance company real soon. Also check your policies people. Wawanesa is also charging their customers extra if say your car is hit and you don't want aftermarket parts used to repair your car, YEP more money more money. Get rich Wawanesa pay up customers. Congrats Wawanesa you win biggest scam of the year award.

Hi Lorie,

Original review: April 3, 2018

After having insurance with Wawanesa Oregon for over 10 years, I was hit in March 2017, at that time the police determined there was no fault, as I was not in the wrong, and supposedly the unlicensed driver who hit me was also not in the wrong. The claim adjuster or analyst, said the other party would not give a statement. All of the sudden my insurance DOUBLES and I call to ask why, I'm told it's because I was AT FAULT... WHAT???! No one even fully investigated the issue because the other party wasn't complying. That being said, I am searching for a new insurance company and am 1 day past Wawanesa's grace period as I did not pay my newly DOUBLED rate on time, and was hoping to only pay 1 month while I looked for other insurance. I had planned on staying with them, and paying on time until I had realized my quote was only for 6 months and not a year like usual and had increased sooo much! More than double.

Anyways, I call them today in regards to just make a stupid payment and they want to lapse me! Couldn't be more upset!!! I have always paid on time, always paid a year in advance, the one time I am "late" without receiving a cancellation letter, and they tell me I am one day too late and they can't make an exception to re-instate me! **!!!! By the way, I tried to log on earlier in the week and make said payment but their services were down... so I waited until today, my day off. They could care less. No incidents, no lapses, nothing prior, until 2017... cannot believe they treat their customers this way! I'm leaving nonetheless. You really do get what you pay for, and now that they have raised their rates, I can say you would be majorly overpaying for their services if you chose to go with them!

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Thank you for your feedback and for being a long-time customer, Amber. We’re sorry to hear about your frustration with rate changes and the difficulty with your claim. We’d be happy to have one of our representatives look into this for you. Please email us at marketingus@wawanesa.com with your full name, policy number, and phone number and we’ll be sure to reach out. Again, thank you for your business.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

I had the worst experience with Wawanesa when I actually needed their help as one would when carrying an insurance policy. Their rates are lower than most but you get what you pay for once you are actually involved in an accident. I was struck by an 18 wheeler tractor trailer from the driver side with $18,000 done in damages. The police did not make a conclusion on who's at fault and I was assigned a horrible adjuster by the name of Shimmy **. She was very insincere and rude and made me the culprit when I was the one who was struck by an 18 wheeler. I was dissatisfied with them concluding me at fault without ever leaving their San Diego office to access the car's damage and or location of the incident. I have never heard of one being at fault when you are the one who was struck.

I have called a lawyer to sue for what is right and I have decided to cancel my policy with Wawanesa as soon as my policy is up for renewal. Regardless of the outcome of who's at fault, I have never witnessed such a cold reaction from an adjuster in all my years of experience. It is Shimmy who has caused me to want to cancel my policy. An old saying rings true, you get what you pay for.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

After paying car insurance for 15 years with Wawanesa. I was paying about $1,600 for two cars yearly. I do my payment once a year, so my insurance is due every August. Apparently the changed they billing now for 6 months. I didn't read the dates that they were billing me the same amount but for six months instead of a year. How can that be? I felt so disappoint for not reading the dates right. Today I received a new bill for $1747. I was like, "Why are they billing me again if the insurance is due in August?" I am so mad and feeling angry for not paying attention. They can keep my money but they lost a great customer who never had a ticket or car accident.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I hit a deer coming home. Truck was drivable, but serious front end damage to hood and grill. I phoned Wawanesa at the time of the accident. When I said I wasn't hurt, and was mobile, and there were no other parties involved but a dead deer, they said to call in the morning. The next morning I put in my claim. Gave me a number, asked me where I was getting it fixed. Told them and they had no problem with that provider. A week later I was on the road again. I've called my agent on several occasions and he remembers details about me. I needed proof of insurance for a contract I was bidding on and he faxed it to me an hour later. On a few occasions I've tried to find a better deal, they consistently come in about 30% below anyone else.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

When I first set up a policy with Wawanesa. I saw a broker, and the broker and I discussed a first payment date of May 28th (My checks come in at the end of the month) the Broker, told me that that worked when I was setting up my insurance to start on the 28th of April, (30 Days of time, was said to be sufficient) only to find out a payment came out immediately, and bounced (I didn't notice because my account remained at 0$ when I checked, and I didn't see a negative balance) then on May 28th they took a payment, and it succeeded.

Then 5 days later they tried to take April 28ths payment again, and of course the money was not there, now I have been trying to get this amended for the past little while, and Wawanesa continues to send me letters of experience that only state canceled due to non payment, when if the miscommunication did not happen, I would not be here. Wawanesa has officially caged my life, and I can no longer afford to get any insurance with basically any company, with all requiring down deposits of 2000$ or more, they have screwed me over, for basically my entire life, so if anyone knows a company that will insure me in Canada Nova Scotia, with a non-pay on file, that should not exist, for a monthly bases insurance with no huge down deposit please let me know at **. Seriously Disappointed in Wawanesa, and Huestis Insurance Brokers.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance Company Information