Wawanesa Auto Insurance

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have been with Wawanesa for over 20 years. I've had two claims in the past ten years and was treated with respect. I had to take the time to respond to silly comments about not paying insurance payments on time, and engine starts leaking after their car gets hit while parked. Hum, these agents are trained for false claims like that. It's people like that, that cause insurance to go up. TIP # 1 make your payments on time and # 2 tell the truth. PS make your life insurance (with any broker) payment late and see what happens. I will continue to recommend my family and friends.

Another person sideswiped me on 7/22/2016 so I took a picture of his license plate, insurance card and registration and promptly reported the claim. Mind you, I have been with Wawanesa Insurance for around 30 years and have never had a negative experience. The claims department called me and took down all the accident particulars. The adjuster called me a couple of days later and asked when it would be convenient for her to obtain my recorded statement (ahem, more like an interrogation).

Well, I had prior trouble and current trouble making payments online ever since they changed the policy numbers because all of the numbers do not fit into the box for online payments and the support team was unable to rectify my situation for online bill pay. And, you cannot use a debit card even though it says so at the bottom until you read the fine print that indicates you can only use a credit card. I paid my premium by credit card on 7/12; however, the adjuster supposedly had a coverage question because they allegedly received my payment late.

This makes zero sense because the payment cleared thru my credit card the same night. So she interrogates me... Do you usually pay your payments every 2-3 months, have you ever had a lapse in coverage, this kind of nonsense. I told her I was starting a new job on August 1st and could I take the car to the body shop prior to that and she said no. I then said what would have happened if my car wasn't driveable but she didn't care. I complained to the claims manager about the interrogation and told her it seemed like the adjuster was trying to catch me in a lie and she said that's exactly what she was trying to do.

I said really after almost 30 years? Unreal! The adjuster kept calling me about non-sensical things so I told her to quit calling me. I went ahead and took my car to the body shop and dropped it off and went to get a rental car. Come to find out, when I deleted and added a car more than a year ago (nothing to do with MY car), they accidentally deleted the rental coverage. Sooo... I ended up paying about $700 for the rental and they refused to pay me back more than $300!

Also, they had to pull the recording of my conversation to prove I didn't delete the coverage! Also, the guy that hit me has some sub-standard policy so I had to pay the deductible and may have to take him to small claims court to recover it... Even if I get a judgement, good luck with that! Lastly, whenever you call, they hardly ever answer and if you ask for a call back not to lose your place in line, they don't call back. I'm very disappointed that I would be treated like this and to have to put all this money out of my pocket was really annoying. Yes, they may have great rates, but is it really worth it? I'm beginning to think NOT.

Updated 10/7/2016: I have been with Wawanesa for almost 30 years; I just posted a review earlier this week about a claims issue. I was just informed yesterday that all their policies are going to a 6-month in lieu of a full year and it won't be possible to make monthly payments any longer. I was shocked to learn that my premium will be going up over $2,000 a year, more than double and nothing has changed with my vehicles. The woman I spoke to says it was a 'rate increase'... I'm sorry, but a simple rate increase would not be this high... going elsewhere for my car insurance after almost 30 years. It appears this company got popular and then VERY GREEDY!

I called Cord ** an accident investigator for Wawanesa at 1:37 p.m. to discuss my claim. We began to disagree on an issue in regards to getting my car fixed. He was mad we were arguing, so he blurts out, "I can't wait to deny your medical claim"! I then asked him if he's serious. I've never dealt with someone so disrespectful. He said he would deny my medical claim because I was arguing with him in regards to my car being fixed!!! LUCKILY, I had an attorney sitting next to me the entire conversation so they heard the entire call. We were on our way to an event and I was driving with my speaker phone on. Thanks Cord for saying that. The attorney is going to write a letter not only to Wawanesa, but also to the "Dept. of Insurance" for your unethical remarks.

On Wednesday September 14, 2016 I was waiting to get road assistance for two hours although I was in the center of Downey City at 8:00 PM.

For the last 3 days I have been unable to get hold of anyone at Wawanesa. I don't even know if they are still in business. I hope that nothing happens to my car since I still have a policy with that company. I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wawanesa Auto Insurance?

I have had this Ins for years and years, was GREAT for years, small Co feel very personal. About a year ago I changed vehicles and had to call to take care of it. On hold for an hour, took days to get a person. Now I received a notice of cancellation due to non-payment, but never got a bill. AGAIN I called, on hold for an hour, hung up on once, hold forever. You have been warned. Choose at your own risk.

I have been with Wawanesa for my auto insurance for over 30 years. Even when going through my divorce, they split the account with no problems, added my husband when I got married again and added my children when they began driving. I have had several claims over the years including needing roadside assistance without any problems. They are quick to respond, took care of rental cars when needed, once I reported a claim, I never had to deal with it again. The service is great, the people on the phone are wonderful, claims adjusters easy to work with. I will continue to recommend them. A few times I thought to check rates at other insurance companies and once they heard I had Wawanesa, they said they couldn't beat them. Love this company!!

Wawanesa inadvertently placed my property insurance payment of 148.00 onto an auto policy, thus cancelling the property insurance for non-payment. They made no notification of policy cancellation. I received an auto policy bill with changed policy number in feb. 2016, I immediately paid installment of 458.16, with future installments due June and September.

I received another changed auto policy, noted as 'rewrite' May 28, with payment needed of 232.96. I paid immediately, installments were due over next 8 months. I made no request for any changes. I then received notice on July 1 of non-payment for auto policy, so I called and was told about the cancellation of my property insurance, that a new policy would need to be written; and that Wawanesa had no record of my claimed payments.

I went to my bank to have the transactions researched. My bank has record of $458.16 received by Wawanesa on 2/29 and then returned to bill pay on May 28. Payment of $232.96 received by Wawanesa on 6/13 was refused and credited back to my on July 1. I decided to cancel all policies with Wawanesa for their lack of communication and poor billing. I notified them via email clearly stating all of these issues. Today (7/21), I received a bill for $119.44 for coverage provided of the cancelled auto policy. I have made no insurance claims to auto or property. They have refused and returned all payments made without notification and not in a timely manner. I should owe them nothing.

I have been with Wawanesa for 6 years. I recently fell behind on my payments due to money being tight to the tune of $489. I was told by two or three different agents after placing me hold each time to consult with a higher up to "get approval" for me paying $100 a week for 4 consecutive weeks and then a final payment of $89. I was told this was approved with the condition while the payments were being made I would not be covered. I agreed to this. Well, after all payments were made I called and guess what? Yep, you guessed it...NO REINSTATEMENT. And furthermore there are no notes in their system to the above arrangements.

The rep got a snobby attitude and tried to lecture me on the fact that this is a bill I owed...uh no kidding. I didn't lie to her. Had I known they were gonna do me like that I would've paid for repairs to have my car pass smog and got insurance elsewhere and paid them later. Then she tried to lecture me on damaging my credit. I said "Look where I'm at now my credit is secondary to survival mode." I'm done with these liars. I believe the awards they got for customer service are not merited.

As I write this I have been on hold for this office way too long. I don't know if they have new management or what but keeping people on hold upwards of an hour without a choice to leave a message and receive a call back is unacceptable. I have been with them for about 17 years and this is the worst I have been treated. Yes the policies cost less but the service has decreased a 100 fold. After my year is up I will be moving my insurance unfortunately to a higher cost bracket but I need peace of mind. The woman just told me the supervisor will take care of it. They told me that yesterday and they told me that 3 hours ago. I cannot work until I have a copy of my insurance. It should not take this long to get a copy of my policy. Will they pay me for the two days I have not been able to work. I think not. Lost money. Gotta go to another company if I don't have it within the hour. Proceed with warning.

I had recommended them because of the great rates, but that was because I hadn't had to make a claim. Finally when I did it took me 3 hours the night I got a flat tire to find out they couldn't help me that night even though I had roadside assistance. Even if it was my fault, why did it have to take 3 hours of me on the phone on the side of the road! To make a really long story short, I just found out 2 MONTHS LATER that they are declining my claim. Even if it's not covered, why did it have to take 2 MONTHS to FIND OUT! Horrible service and non-responsive. After 16 years I will be switching insurance. I'm glad that it was just a flat tire and not a major accident for me to realize the service is horrible.

I called the company because of a increase of my policy. The word "endorsement" was used. Look this word up and find out who is associated with it. I called because someone hit my car and my car was parked. I was told I don't have to make a police report but, if I went through them I would "have" to pay my deductible. I pay the insurance and can't get any coverage for a hit and run and since I have been "endorsed" this will cost me more! I see that being in 19 zip doesn't get you "ZIP"!

Wawanesa Insurance has been my insurer for about 8 years and I've been very pleased with the cost. Last year I finally had the need to file a claim and was very pleased with the service and the way I was treated I have before, and will continue to recommend Wawanesa to my friends.

Wawanesa has the absolutely lowest rates for good drivers. I just had AAA quote my current policy and their rate was more than double. Their service is great, they respond courteously and professionally.

The rates are reasonable and agents are knowledgeable and helpful. I have not had any claims so far so I have no claims processing experience, however friends of mine with the same company have had good service on their claims.

I've been a Wawanesa customer with my auto for 27 years and home for 15 years and have never had problems with them. My husband totaled his car 3 weeks ago. In less than 3 weeks we received a check for quite a bit over Blue Book. We were provided with a rental car to use until we purchased a new car. Over the years we have been victims of accidents and the ease of getting repairs has been amazing. The shop they recommended does great work, friendly employees.

Wawanesa has never raised our rates due to the fender benders that my kids caused as new drivers. Sure once in a while it may be difficult to reach the adjuster but when you take in to consideration the amount of customers each adjuster is assigned, it's not a big deal. My adjuster called me back usually within an hour of my call.

They also were great when I filed a homeowner claim almost 9 months after a flooding incident. They came out inspected the repairs, made copies of all the receipts (my husband did the repairs), shortly after we received a check well over the receipts amount, they explained they allowed for labor too. They will drop you as a customer if you receive too many tickets or file too many claims where you are at fault and I see nothing wrong with that. I recommend them all the time.

Their insurance rates are very reasonable if you are a good driver. They are friendly and attentive. I have been in two auto accidents since. Do have been insure with them almost 10 years now. They have been very helpful and calming in both instances.

This company is a junk, yes they are very cheap compared to other company, but believe me, you get what you pay for, a cheap and scam service. Someone hit on my car while it was parked in a one way street curb (hit and run) while I was traveling in San Marcos-CA. I called them to make a claim right after I saw the damage and I told them what happened and give all the information they asked for. The lady told me to wait until one of their adjustors call me. First in their website they false advertise that the people their office representatives works from Mon - Friday from 7:30 am to 7:30 pm, that's a joke and not true, they told me that they are open until 4:30 pm and after that you just get a message saying that they are closed, and if you try to reach anyone after 4:00 pm they are not in the office anymore.

Second, the guy who was designed to "help" as my adjustor called Tony was EXTREMELY RUDE unprofessional (maybe because I have an accent), he treated like trash, like he was doing me a favor. He told me he was sending an estimator, was kind fast. This guy (the estimator) came to my house and I showed him everything happened to my car, I opened the hood and I showed him all the fluid from my steering power all over my engine. He took few pics with his little camera and wished me good luck. The day after, Tony called me and told me to take my car to a body shop, but I told him my car was not driving at all. He told me to not worry about it because they would take care of it (again, extremely rude).

I took my car to the body shop and then I got the check 4 days later, then my nightmare started. My body shop guy finished his job after a week and half and I took my car to my mechanic who gave then an estimate, so they sent the estimator again who according to my mechanic stayed there for 3 min and before he started check the car, he already told him that it was not the part of the accident so my mechanic told him that how could he state that without even look at my car and he just took few more pics and left. So, this estimator took 3 days to send the adjustor my paperwork, I was calling this adjustor called Tony everyday since he never called me to keep me updated or to at least apologize for his incompetence. He was always RUDE every time I called to see if he had any updates. And one day he called me and told me very rude "if I have any news, I call you. Do you understand, I will call you. "

I have all our conversations recorded on my phone, including one that he insinuates clearly that if I had taken my car to one of their shops it would be faster. REALLY??? Then finally they denied to fix my car and one of the services supervisor called Willian, left a super rude message saying that they wont pay in any circumstance to fix my car because based in the pictures I was not saying the truth (he basically called me a liar in a kind way). I've tried to call them after that message and they never answered the phone when I called. I've called them 30 times and I left messages to 3 different people, they are cowards and refuse to even answer my calls. They know my number and they refuse to let me even argue about their decision. Every time I call, the representatives already know with who I want to talk.

THEY TREATED ME LIKE TRASH, THEY MADE MY BLOOD PRESSURE GOES UP, THEY TURNED MY LIFE INTO A NIGHTMARE AND SO STRESSFUL. Please be aware about this company. They don't care about their customers and they treat you like you are begging for a favor. What's absolutely not the case since I pay my bill every single month! They are criminals and scammers.

Wawanesa Insurance is the best... They give you insurance that covers your car and what the state wants, will not push you into something you don't need, and no other company can beat their price. You can check out different values depending on how much coverage you want to carry on your vehicle. They have discounts for more than one car. You can contact the company by phone, online or by snail mail and receive their response by the same ways, too.

I have been with Wawanesa for over 10 years. I have never had to file a claim. Their rates are very reasonable and the payment methods are very adaptable and meet my needs. I will stay with this company until there is a good reason for me to change.

After being a satisfied Wawanesa car insurance client for years, transferring over our duplex home insurance to these profiteers from hell, it was an absolute nightmare. Over 8 months of agonizing waiting and relentless delays for a roof leakage damage and repair. They sent two or 3 estimators, inspectors, checked and took photo's of the damages to our bathroom and kitchen then told us they would be in touch. Month after month, delays after delays, the aggravation was building. We had to threaten them with a legal lawsuit if they weren't going to start the immediate and urgent renovation work soon.

We had black mold building and we couldn't use our bathroom for months. The most aggravating experience ever. Then I had a verbal and e-mail argument with this horses ass rep. When they finally started the work, we had more problems with the workers from hell. Two workers were fired for sloppy workmanship and we had to find a new contractor. At least another 3 months before all was done. Greed above the clients' needs. Intact insurance is better choice. Ditch Wawanesa, they're old and greedy.

Never had a problem. Rates are very reasonable and claims processed very quickly. Bills are always correct and they also let me know that they received the payments. Website is very cool.

Very quick and courteous service. Competitive pricing for insurance. I have dealt with them through more than one claim and they were very professional and quick to helping out my situation.

I have been a very satisfied customer of Wawanesa Mutual Insurance company primarily because of their low premiums, good service, reliability and consistency. I have referred them to several friends and they also have become satisfied customers of Wawanesa. I have not yet found another auto insurer who can beat their rates!

I only pay my premium once a year so I haven't had a lot of contact with them but every time I have had contact they have been helpful and friendly. The price of my premium is great.

Always correct invoice and the rates are the cheapest in USA. I don't need a rep as I just make a phone call and they answer all my questions.

An auto policy with Wawanesa can't be cancelled online by deleting the vehicle from your policy as the website leads one to believe. If you go this route be sure to contact Wawanesa to confirm the auto policy is cancelled. When I called to find out when will receive a refund was informed can't cancel policy online. Duh... just did. And as usual when called Wawanesa was left on hold. Left contact info for return phone call and had to carry around with me insurance info for whenever Wawanesa called back which was the next day at a very inconvenient time. Service is not in this company's mind.

What happened to Wawanesa? Use to be they answered the phone right away. Sat on hold for 30 minutes. Eventually took advantage of the option to leave name and number for call back. That was an hour and a half ago and no call back. All I want to do is transfer coverage to a new car. Glad I'm not calling for roadside assistance! Purchased insurance for new car elsewhere. Cancelled insurance with Wawanesa online. Obtaining refund for unused portion of insurance paid should be interesting. Doubt will come automatically and this company doesn't answer the phone or return calls. Wonder if this company is going out of business.

Consumer Increased Rating!

I just wrote a negative review regarding the bad experience trying to get through to Wawanesa, and although it was a very poor experience with them, I am happy to report that after calling a local number for them and being able to leave a voicemail message with them, that they did call me back and everything was okay.

I have yet to determine if all will be well once and for all, once I pay my premium again, but at least they did call me back within the time frame they promised.

Jo of Lakeside, CA on

Original Review

I had Wawanesa years ago before I moved out of the state and country and was always pleased with them. When I moved back, I decided to obtain car insurance with them again. However, at the time I did sign back up with them, I wanted to know why they didn't have automatic withdrawal from my bank as most companies in this day and age do. They told me they are working on it. This was exactly a year ago.

I noticed I had not received a statement from them, so last week I started calling them. And calling, and calling, and doing nothing but being put on hold for 20 minutes plus which I refuse to do more than this length of time. At one point on their phone line, they offered to call me back, but their phone wasn't working properly and I wasn't able to leave a message as to why I was calling. They actually did call me back 2 hours later, but unfortunately, I am unable to take phone calls at my job; I did call them back putting in the extension I was given, but lo and behold, I was still holding forever. So here I am trying to get ahold of them again, as I am afraid my policy may lapse. And of course there still is no auto withdrawal through my bank either which makes it so much more convenient. I am through with Wawanesa. I mean how many times do you have to keep calling a company?? Absolutely ridiculous.

Called many times before, waited until my phone battery runs out. Did again today. Actually waiting on my other phone as I am writing this. Trying to reach the office about the payment mailed on the 25th but no deduction was reflected on my bank. Just worried that my policy will suddenly be canceled.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance Company Profile