Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates
2.16/5

Wawanesa Auto Insurance

Wawanesa Insurance offers auto, home, renters and condo insurance to clients in Canada, Oregon and California. Wawanesa is not an official carrier with InsuraMatch, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. Speak with an InsuraMatch representative for free quotes from multiple providers today.

BOTTOM LINE

Many reviewers have been with Progressive for more than 10 years.

PROS

• Competitive, low rates
  • Available nationwide
  • Offers accident forgiveness in many cases
  • Can file online or by phone

CONS

• Some customers find the website difficult to navigate
  • Rate increases can vary

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

Wawanesa Auto Insurance Reviews

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

We have been insured with Wawanesa for 23 years. For the 1st time we filed a claim due to my hitting our garage post. Everybody from Shelby ** to Darren ** and the entire Claim Service Team were soooo helpful and understanding. We were kept appraised of every action including car rental coverage. We chose our own auto collision center to repair the damage and are very happy with the results. Thank you Wawanesa for allowing the car not to be a total loss.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi T, thank you for sharing your positive experience from our claims team. We look forward to many more years of providing you with great service when you need us most.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

Have never had any issues, price for insurance is reasonable. Have been with them for over 40 years, never any problems. Company has been in business for a long time, always a fair and equitable price for customers.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Helen, thank you for being a valued policyholder of over 40 years, WOW!

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

Well I never really had any issues and we've been with them for 10 years now. They're pricing is affordable if you have a good driving record and the coverage is certainly sufficient. I don't like that their customer service hours are limited, and that they only have a San Diego office (probably because they're Canadian based). With that said, if you've got a good driving record I would recommend you give them a shot.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Nick, thank you for your many years of loyalty! Our agents are currently available Monday-Friday from 7:30am to 7:30pm and Saturday from 8:00am to 4:30pm and we've also made improvements to our website and introduced our new online Account Management Portal so that policyholders can access their information 24/7. We certainly want to be there to support our policyholders when they need us. We appreciate your feedback and are planning to expand our hours in the near future.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Long time customer (like 30 years). Wawanesa has always been good to me. Like others I dislike the 6 month pay program. And I can see how sending a pic of damage to a car could cause some confusion in assessing a correct amount to cover the damage. But other than those two policies I've found Wawanesa to be prompt in coverage of damages and amounts to cover the damage more than enough. My personal experience on the few mishaps I've had is that once contacted they've had an adjuster come to my house within a couple days and once written up I've had a check in my mailbox within 10 days thereafter made out to me. And me alone so I'm free to pick whoever I want to fix the damage.

From my experience I'm really surprised to see these negative posts. But I'd be willing to guess that if you were to research ANY insurance company you'd find some site where people are posting bad reviews. I've stayed on top of researching rates every year and I can't imagine as one poster here stated that they got a 600 dollar cheaper rate with another carrier. Usually it's one of my friends that I've referred to Wawanesa that ends up saving 600 bucks. And, for better coverage. Ya, the six month pay period sucks. But it is a little inconvenience for a better policy. Obviously I'm disappointed to read where Wawanesa has fallen down on the job with so many. This site is my first experience hearing anything bad about the company.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Jim, thank you for being a longtime policyholder and for your honest review. We strive to provide our policyholders outstanding service and excellent rates, and will continue to do so as you've experienced first-hand over the past few decades. We encourage you to let us know promptly should you ever feel unsatisfied or have any questions or concerns. Thank you for your business and we gladly look forward to servicing you for another 30 or more years!

Original review: April 4, 2019

Been a policyholder for over 10 years now. No one can come close to beating their rates, and I check yearly. We have 5 drivers on the policy, 3 of which are our sons. When I was hit by a drunk driver and when I was hit by a driver that was texting and driving, my rates never went up, I never got dinged in any way and Wawanesa took care of everything for me and I was never inconvenienced in any way, besides the actual accident itself. I always recommend Wawanesa to everyone, I trust them completely and it's refreshing to deal with an insurance company that doesn't gouge you and takes care of you.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Katherine, thank you for your kind review and your many years of loyalty. We are very happy to hear that we were able to take care of you during such a stressful time and look forward to many more years of providing you with great service!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wawanesa Auto Insurance?

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

I was in an accident with someone that has Wawanesa. I was not at fault but now after filling claims with both mine and this insurance they come back to me to tell me that they believe it's my fault even though the police report says totally different. Took them so long that my car is already fixed and I'm going to be suing.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Mason, we would like to have your claim reviewed by a supervisor and to go over your concerns. We kindly ask for you to provide your best contact number and we'll have one reach out to you directly. You may also call in at your own convenience and provide your details to a Relations Specialist at 1-877-220-2191 Monday - Friday between 7:30 AM and 6:30 PM.

Resolution response: Dec. 12, 2019

Wawanesa reached out to me and explained why my rates went up. It turned out there was a violation on my DMV record that was supposed to come off. The person working with me was very helpful and I am changing my ratings to a 5. Once i take care of the violation, Wawanesa will retro the rates back to the original terms.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

A friend referred me to Wawanesa and they were decent. But in the last few years they kept increasing my auto insurance. When I call they always say it's not my record but the number of accidents they had to cover. Lately, they increased it by over $300 and changed my coverage without consent, adding uninsured motorist and changing deductibles. I am not planning on renewing and would NOT recommend Wawanesa.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Hugo, we appreciate your feedback and apologize if you have been impacted by any increased rates in recent years. We'd like to have someone review your policy closely in order to address your concerns. We kindly ask that you message us your best number so that we may reach out to provide assistance regarding this matter.

*Update* Hugo, thank you for speaking with us today and allowing us to clear up any misunderstandings. Please don't hesitate to call if you have any further questions.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

I showed up to pick up my car from a friend's house Monday morning to go to work. I notice right away that somebody ran into my car. I called the police and made a report. Then called insurance and made a claim. Little did I know that who or whatever hit my car. Hit it twice. So I called insurance back as soon as I seen other damages. They made me feel like I was neglected toward handling my responsibility in reporting the incident. Now they are saying I need to make another claim because I didn't Initially report the other damages. So now I have to pay two deductible for somebody else's incompetence. It's bad enough I have to pay one deductible for somebody's else's stupidity. Whoever Their adjusters are, Are worthless. If you can see the damages to my vehicle you can tell it from the same vehicle. You guys need a better claims Department.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Gabriel, thank you for speaking with our Claims Division Supervisor. We sincerely apologize for your initial experience and we are happy our Claims Division Supervisor made contact with you to resolve your concerns. We are very committed to providing excellent service and appreciate your feedback. Should you have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to reach out to the Claims Division Supervisor for assistance.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

Never had an accident or any tickets and drive under 12,000 miles a year and this company increased my rates every year. I am now 63 years old have a two year old suv and a another vehicle driving 4,000 miles a year. After research several other companies and taken courses to help with my insurance cost I am going save over $200 with another company. This company was once a good company and now it is just like most other insurance companies GREEDY.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi J., we're sorry to hear that you were impacted by these rate increases. We'd like to have someone review your policy to ensure that all appropriate rating and discounts are applied and that you do have the best offer from us. Please message us your best contact number and we can put someone in touch right away. We appreciate your prior years of loyalty and hope to be able to speak with you soon.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

I unfortunately had two separate claims with Wawanesa within one year. I had the insurance for 8 years before ever having to make a claim. During the claims process, the agents always seem bothered that you're calling them or trying to get answers. They have no respect for their insureds and treat you as if you're trying to fraud them. I was found not at fault in both claims, but they have no interest in helping to resolve the claim. The entire process was extremely frustrating! They find any excess to not pay or and reduce payment to the lowest amount possible. This is a low budget insurance company. They will save you money in premiums, but not provide any valuable service once you have to file a claim. I used to have AAA insurance and always received stellar service. I'm changing insurance companies!

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi John, we're very sorry to hear about your experience and apologize for the level of service you received. We'd like to escalate this to our claims leadership team and kindly ask that you message us your best contact number.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance Company Information