2.0/5 (191 ratings)
Get a Quote on SmartFinancial

Compare car insurance rates near you.

Get an auto quote on SmartFinancial.

Get Started

About Wawanesa Auto Insurance

Wawanesa offers auto, home, renters and condo insurance to clients in Canada, Oregon and California. It provides competitive rates for its auto coverage policies, which come with flexible payment terms and the ability to file claims 24/7. The company offers free quotes and same-day coverage.

Pros

• Flexible payment terms
  • 24/7 claims
  • Competitive rates

Cons

• Some customer complaints
  • Limited availability

Bottom Line

Wawanesa insures vehicles in Canada, California and Oregon. It offers flexible payment options, customized policies, free quotes, same-day coverage and 24/7 claim opportunities. It has some mixed reviews.

Top Wawanesa Auto Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I've been a Wawanesa Oregon customer since March of 2017. I've not had a single problem. Customer service is fabulous. Everyone is very friendly and professional! Out of all the i...

Verified

I have been with Wawanesa for my auto insurance for over 30 years… A few times I thought to check rates at other insurance companies and once they heard I had Wawanesa, they said ...

Compare car insurance rates near you.

Get an auto quote on SmartFinancial.

Get Started

What is Wawanesa auto insurance?

Wawanesa is a car insurance provider that services California, Oregon and Canada. Its auto policies range from basic liability coverage to fully comprehensive insurance with collision and medical coverage. You can request quotes online or over the phone, but you’ll have to purchase a policy from a phone representative or local insurance broker. Other Wawanesa insurance offerings include homeowners, renters and condo insurance.

How does Wawanesa auto insurance work?

To get started with Wawanesa, request a quote online or over the phone. You’ll supply info about your vehicle and driving history — only drivers who’ve been licensed for at least three years and had no more than one violation or at-fault accident in the last three years are eligible. In addition to standard coverage, Wawanesa also offers optional coverage including roadside assistance, rental reimbursement and manufacturer replacement part coverage.

Once you’ve customized your coverage, you’ll then buy your policy from a Wawanesa agent, who can apply any discounts you qualify for to help you get the best coverage for your needs.

Wawanesa car insurance quotes and costs

Prices for Wawanesa’s car insurance policies depend on your vehicle and driving history. Premium costs can range significantly; California and Oregon drivers might pay between $600 and $2,000 per year for coverage. The company offers flexible pay options, including upfront, partial and monthly recurring payments, though partial payments require an installment fee. Request a free quote online or over the phone for customized pricing.

Wawanesa auto insurance FAQ

Does Wawanesa cover drivers in Mexico?
No, Wawanesa doesn’t offer coverage for drivers in Mexico.
How do you cancel Wawanesa car insurance?
To cancel your Wawanesa policy, contact your insurance broker, whose contact information should be on your policy documents.
Where is Wawanesa car insurance available?
Wawanesa is available in California, Oregon and Canada. Visit its website to find a broker near you.
Does Wawanesa offer a comprehensive car insurance policy?
Yes, Wawanesa offers comprehensive policies, which cover fire, theft and other disasters, with additional coverage options.

Is Wawanesa car insurance good?

Wawanesa offers competitive insurance rates, comprehensive coverage options and 24/7 claims services. You have to purchase policies over the phone, though the company provides free quotes online. Some eligibility restrictions apply, and some customers have complained about Wawanesa’s service, so make sure to read reviews in your area before choosing your coverage.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wawanesa Auto Insurance?

Original review: Oct. 4, 2022

They would not renew my house insurance because of sewer lines are still cast iron. Never filed a claim ever and now they dumped me. Watch out there! They are willing to take your money and will dump you in a heart beat. It doesn’t pay to be loyal to your insurance companies over 20 years and no claims! They aren’t loyal to the customer. I now will tell everyone who will listen about this and recommend shopping around when it gets close to renewing time never again Will I fall for this.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi James, we're sorry for the frustration you're feeling and would like to help address your concerns. An underwriter has attempted to get in touch with you by phone twice this week but has only been able to leave messages. Please return her call at your earliest convenience.

Resolution response: Oct. 3, 2022

Wawanesa rep called me and took care of all my concerns. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2022

I am a long time (10+ years), customer and have always been satisfied with Wawanesa customer service and policies, however I recently filed a claim for windshield replacement and was informed that I could only use Safelite. Three months later and still no windshield (back ordered) I spoke with Wawanesa about using a different vendor (same price and parts in stock) and was informed that Wawanesa would only cover up to 600 dollars for a 2300 dollar job. I have been driving 3 months + with a giant (dangerous crack). Wawanesa will not help, I am considering dropping my policy (4 cars and home) if they cannot resolve this issue. Also customer service on the phone lacks anyone who knows what the heck is going on (low level representatives working from home).

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Michael, we apologize for any miscommunication you've experienced related to your claim. Although backordered parts is an ongoing issue in the auto repair industry, sometimes a dealer is able to locate a part before Safelite is able to. We're happy to hear you were able to able to locate the windshield. To be clear, you're always entitled to use the repair facility of your choice. A supervisor contacted you today to explain your options. Please contact her if you have any additional concerns.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2022

I have been with Wawanesa since late 80s. Were pretty great until a few years ago. Their annual policy went semi annual at the same cost as annual. Recently rates went up and doubled. Customer service lacks professionalism. Hit a pothole in rain, bent 2 rims, company wrote it up as a Collision against my record! Unblemished record, never have had a collision with them. Time to move on...

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

*9/19/2022* Hi David, thank you for sharing your feedback. We'd like to have a supervisor reach out to you to discuss your concerns. Please kindly message us your best contact number and we can put someone in touch.

*Update 9/22/2022* David, we appreciate you speaking with us this morning regarding your policy. If you still have any questions, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2022

I have a 2003 Suburban that hit a deer and did some front end damage. Wawanesa got the estimate and approved everything except the dash gauge cluster repair. They said that this issue was common in vehicles of that era so it wasn't covered. Huh? It worked before, hit a deer and then it didn't work anymore. Obviously a result of the collision. They said not covered because it is a common problem. I asked them what that has to do with it and then it dawned on me that they must be assuming I had this issue before we hit the deer and I'm trying to get it replaced as a collision issue...which it was.

I told them, "No it was working before" and they are accusing me of lying. They said, "Not at all, but it isn't covered..." but could never explain why! Escalated to a manager and was told the same thing...Still no explanation. I said hitting deer was a common issue too so why were other repairs covered? No explanation. I got the other items fixed and found a guy on Kijiji who is familiar with this issue and resoldered connections for me in an hour for $100 that fixed the problem. Now I have badly shaken confidence in Wawanesa claims...What new common issues will they find in my next claim?

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Dale, we apologize for the frustration you're experiencing. We provide auto policies to California and Oregon drivers and based on your displayed city, we believe your review was meant for Wawanesa Canada, not Wawanesa U.S. Please feel free to message us your best contact number and we'd be glad to have someone from the Canadian Customer Care team get in touch with you to provide assistance.

Resolution response: Aug. 11, 2022

Wawanesa has resolved my issue. "Thank you Wawanesa." Things are ok. Am glad you reasoned with me concerning how I pay my car insurance.

Original review: July 28, 2022

I been with this Auto Ins Co since 2020. Prior to that I was lapsed for 2-3 weeks in 2020 due to a Bank Card that was expired, before that happened I was with them since the early 2000's. They sent me a notice stating they aren't accepting monthly payments any longer and that I will have to pay up in full the whole amount in order for them to keep me insured. I bet it something else, are they having everyone else do the same thing who has insurance paying monthly? I think they're weeding out certain customers who fall in a certain range because what they say one of the reasons is it's inflation and other reasons? Sure I bet it's other reasons? It will all come out in the end. Now everyone who can't pay upfront their insurance premiums are now scrambling to buy other insurance with other auto insurance companies.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

*8/1/2022* Hi Ernestine, we’re sorry for the inconvenience and for the frustration you’re feeling. We thank you for providing your feedback and have shared it with our teams.

*Update 8/11/2022* Hi Ernestine, we want to let you know that we have changed our policy and you can renew using a monthly payment as you did before. If you’re interested in this, please contact us at 877-220-2191 Monday through Friday from 7:30AM to 5:30PM. We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you.

Original review: July 22, 2022

The worst insurance service I've ever gotten and that's about 16 years of insurance experience. Might differ from Wawanesa in America but sucks in Canada. I was with them for 5 years raised my insurance twice for no reason, so this recent time I had got a new car so that's fine, I expected a raise in premium- I was paying $200/month for full. This renewal coming up in August my premium went from $200 to $370. I had contacted my broker a couple days before I got this in the mail and had phoned her left vm, she never got back to me. I had to end up calling them and speaking to someone else to help me cancel because I found other places that were literally offering half the price. Like ** off. No explanation as to why it went up. The worst customer service ever. I highly do not recommend them.

On top of that I feel like my broker didn't have my best interest at heart, she gave me the lowest deductible, I asked for a higher deductible quote (lowers premium) but she never quoted me for it. I am nice but if someone disrespects me like she has then im done. After all this the cancellation letter was supposed to come from her since shes my broker but she is non existent these days or blatantly ignoring me, the other girl had to send me the cancellation letter. Like a grow a pair and explain to me what happen. Coward. I was dealing with her for 4 years.. And this is how it had to end.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Nikolett, we're sorry to hear about your experience. This page is for the Wawanesa U.S. company and we would unfortunately not be able to access your information to offer you help. Please reach out to the Wawanesa Canada team with your information at talktous@wawanesa.com so that they may assist in addressing your concerns.

Original review: July 22, 2022

I have been a Wawanesa customer for many years and now I'm being told that they will not accept monthly payments that they want the 6 months in full now and they understand that if I go somewhere else they don't care. They claim it's due to unprecedent times in claims to cover damages to vehicles etc. We pay a monthly fee to cover all these claims however once you do have an accident after 7 years they now don't have money to cover that accident so they want to get rid of you. Will not recommend Wawanesa to anyone and I will be making note of this to everyone on social media and any other platform that allows me to speak my voice.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Gerard, we want to let you know that we have changed our policy and you can renew using a monthly payment as you did before. If you’re interested in this, please contact us at 877-220-2191 Monday through Friday from 7:30AM to 5:30PM. We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you.

Resolution response: Aug. 11, 2022

I have updated my rating for Wawanesa. They were very responsive and awesome with their service and allowing me to continue my monthly policy. I can say I am STILL a happy customer and have decided to stay with them. Thank you again! Terri

Original review: July 5, 2022

I've been a loyal customer for YEARS, I never had a bad experience until now. I just received an email that I will have to pay my 6 month premium in FULL using a checking or savings account, no more monthly payments and no credit card allowed. So needless to say I will need to look for another company.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

*7/6/2022* Hi there, we’re sorry for the inconvenience and for the frustration you’re feeling. We thank you for providing your feedback and have shared it with our teams.

*Update 8/11/2022* Hi, we want to let you know that we have changed our policy and you can renew using a monthly payment as you did before. If you’re interested in this, please contact us at 877-220-2191 Monday through Friday from 7:30AM to 5:30PM. We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you.

Original review: June 25, 2022

Updated on 06/30/2022: Talked again with customer service to try to get something worked out regarding my car insurance with Wawanesa, I got nowhere. I got a lot of side talk and information that made no sense. They will not work with you. They don't care about their customers' loyalty. I was told a year ago, "We reward you every year you're with us with your policy and it will go down." That did not happen, it went up. And add to that they would be making me pay in full, no credit cards cash only. No more monthly payments for me? I have a perfect driving record and payment history. They said, "Well you're only with us for one year and most drivers we cover that are with us for a short time have accidents and the percentages are against you now?" What? "So we need the money in full from you." Omg. How discriminating and unethical can you be.

They make up whatever they want and they make up all kind of nonsense. It's all about money and greed with them and they lie. who do they think they are? I went with State Farm and I got the same monthly quote and I can make monthly payments. So sick of insurance companies shams. Go somewhere else not with Wawanesa..

Original: They used to have the best service. Called so many times and got nowhere now with anyone over there. Told me to go to another insurance company? Did not even look at my policy to check the coverages. That was their solution? Called so many times finally got someone to look at the policy, it was like pulling teeth. Midway in that process they say, "We need a pin sent to your phone to verify you?" I verified myself in the beginning. We were talking for 30 minutes. "Well we are now talking about your coverages." They are so worried about fraud that they ignore the customer getting any help. Still never got any help after multiple calls.

Now they won't let you make monthly payments. They expect you to pay them cash for the policy in full? Cash. No credit cards either. So between the worst customer service agents. inexperienced and unhelpful over verifying wasting so much time. And now they won't work with anyone on payments for the policy. Telling me, "Well you have not been with us long enough? You have to pay in full." And their solution telling me to go somewhere else? What company does that? They have so much to learn on how to treat a customer. I'm so tried of all of the excuses companies make for poor service. "We are in an inflation, we have more accidents, we have more people cancelling, we have more bills. We we we. And we don't trust you. We have to over verify you." They don't treat the customers like a value. And get better help.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

*6/27/2022* Hi Diane, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and for the frustration you’re feeling. We appreciate you sharing your feedback with us and will share it with our teams.

*8/11/2022* Hi Diane, we want to let you know that we have changed our policy and you can renew using a monthly payment as you did before. If you’re interested in this, please contact us at 877-220-2191 Monday through Friday from 7:30AM to 5:30PM. We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you.

Original review: April 13, 2022

I guess the company is good if all you have are comprehensive claims but once you get a collision they become spineless and will not fight for you. They would rather settle than go to court. If you ever get in an accident get a lawyer.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Manny, we're sorry for the frustration you're feeling about your claim. We'd be happy to put a supervisor in touch to address your concerns. Please message us your best contact number.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance Company Information