2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.95/5

Wawanesa Insurance offers auto, home, renters and condo insurance to clients in Canada, Oregon and California. Wawanesa is not an official carrier with InsuraMatch, which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. Speak with an InsuraMatch representative for free quotes from multiple providers today.

Compare insurance providers online

See if you can save today on Everquote

Compare quotes

Compare insurance providers online

See if you can save today on Everquote

Compare quotes

Wawanesa Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wawanesa Auto Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wawanesa Auto Insurance?

Original review: Dec. 22, 2019

I have been with Wawanesa for 15+ years. In early 2018, I traded my 2003 Volkswagen for an Infiniti. I called them to switch vehicles and got an addendum that showed the Infiniti. Six months later, my policy renewal still had the Volkswagen. So, I called them again and told them that the Volkswagen was gone and they told me that they never switched the policy back in February so I had to pay more money. I was angry but what was I going to do? Tonight, while checking my policy, I realized that the Volkswagen is still on the policy almost 2 years later! I always thought that the policy increase was because the new car was an Infiniti. But, now I realized it was because they are charging me for 2 cars when I only own 1. I am going to be calling customer service next week. But, I am starting to think that this company has no clue what they are doing. I am seriously thinking about leaving for another insurance company.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Scott, we're sorry to hear about this experience and would like to have your policy reviewed and for a supervisor to reach out to you directly to address your concerns. Please message us your best contact number or you may call a Customer Relations Specialist at 1-877-220-2191 Monday-Friday between 7:30am and 6:30pm to provide your information.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

I was in an accident with someone that has Wawanesa. I was not at fault but now after filling claims with both mine and this insurance they come back to me to tell me that they believe it's my fault even though the police report says totally different. Took them so long that my car is already fixed and I'm going to be suing.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Mason, we would like to have your claim reviewed by a supervisor and to go over your concerns. We kindly ask for you to provide your best contact number and we'll have one reach out to you directly. You may also call in at your own convenience and provide your details to a Relations Specialist at 1-877-220-2191 Monday - Friday between 7:30 AM and 6:30 PM.

Resolution response: Dec. 12, 2019

Wawanesa reached out to me and explained why my rates went up. It turned out there was a violation on my DMV record that was supposed to come off. The person working with me was very helpful and I am changing my ratings to a 5. Once i take care of the violation, Wawanesa will retro the rates back to the original terms.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

A friend referred me to Wawanesa and they were decent. But in the last few years they kept increasing my auto insurance. When I call they always say it's not my record but the number of accidents they had to cover. Lately, they increased it by over $300 and changed my coverage without consent, adding uninsured motorist and changing deductibles. I am not planning on renewing and would NOT recommend Wawanesa.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Hugo, we appreciate your feedback and apologize if you have been impacted by any increased rates in recent years. We'd like to have someone review your policy closely in order to address your concerns. We kindly ask that you message us your best number so that we may reach out to provide assistance regarding this matter.

*Update* Hugo, thank you for speaking with us today and allowing us to clear up any misunderstandings. Please don't hesitate to call if you have any further questions.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

I showed up to pick up my car from a friend's house Monday morning to go to work. I notice right away that somebody ran into my car. I called the police and made a report. Then called insurance and made a claim. Little did I know that who or whatever hit my car. Hit it twice. So I called insurance back as soon as I seen other damages. They made me feel like I was neglected toward handling my responsibility in reporting the incident. Now they are saying I need to make another claim because I didn't Initially report the other damages. So now I have to pay two deductible for somebody else's incompetence. It's bad enough I have to pay one deductible for somebody's else's stupidity. Whoever Their adjusters are, Are worthless. If you can see the damages to my vehicle you can tell it from the same vehicle. You guys need a better claims Department.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Gabriel, thank you for speaking with our Claims Division Supervisor. We sincerely apologize for your initial experience and we are happy our Claims Division Supervisor made contact with you to resolve your concerns. We are very committed to providing excellent service and appreciate your feedback. Should you have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to reach out to the Claims Division Supervisor for assistance.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

Never had an accident or any tickets and drive under 12,000 miles a year and this company increased my rates every year. I am now 63 years old have a two year old suv and a another vehicle driving 4,000 miles a year. After research several other companies and taken courses to help with my insurance cost I am going save over $200 with another company. This company was once a good company and now it is just like most other insurance companies GREEDY.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi J., we're sorry to hear that you were impacted by these rate increases. We'd like to have someone review your policy to ensure that all appropriate rating and discounts are applied and that you do have the best offer from us. Please message us your best contact number and we can put someone in touch right away. We appreciate your prior years of loyalty and hope to be able to speak with you soon.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

I unfortunately had two separate claims with Wawanesa within one year. I had the insurance for 8 years before ever having to make a claim. During the claims process, the agents always seem bothered that you're calling them or trying to get answers. They have no respect for their insureds and treat you as if you're trying to fraud them. I was found not at fault in both claims, but they have no interest in helping to resolve the claim. The entire process was extremely frustrating! They find any excess to not pay or and reduce payment to the lowest amount possible. This is a low budget insurance company. They will save you money in premiums, but not provide any valuable service once you have to file a claim. I used to have AAA insurance and always received stellar service. I'm changing insurance companies!

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi John, we're very sorry to hear about your experience and apologize for the level of service you received. We'd like to escalate this to our claims leadership team and kindly ask that you message us your best contact number.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

I submitted a claim recently with Wawanesa Insurance after some damage occurred to my car when I parked it in my apt complex's guest parking overnight. There was damage to the windshield and right fender. I had no idea what occurred. Instead of assisting me with my claim, they assigned me to one of their claim adjusters who basically called me a liar. She said my car was in motion, hit a cement post and the windshield damage was another accident. This is without any proof. So a total in damages of $1377 was reduced to basically nothing, and they gave me a check for $60 to cover my damages. Just a deceptive and dishonest company.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi George, we're sorry to hear about your frustration with your recent claim experience and outcome. We could have someone from our claims leadership team reach out to you to answer any questions you have and address your concerns. Please message us your best contact number if you're interested.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

My mother was a long time policyholder (over 25 years) for homeowners and auto insurance. After her sudden death, this company was so difficult to work with and offered so little guidance. As if it wasn't bad enough losing my mother but to get the runaround and then cancel all policies with no options was ridiculous. I understand they have policies but some assistance and sympathy during this terrible time would have been appreciated.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

*Update 8/30/19* Kristyn, thank you for speaking with one of our supervisors to share your experience and for allowing us the chance to provide coaching to our staff members. We appreciate your time and please do not hesitate to contact the supervisor directly should there be anything further we can do to assist you during this difficult time.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2019

If you get into an accident no matter how big or small they won't assist you and often will breach their contract of good faith. They will delay, delay, delay to encourage you to give up and will not perform their duty as an insurance provider. Also they don't do any of the work and will make you do your own investigation and submit evidence which is their job and what you pay them for. You are guilty from the start and even after presenting enough evidence they won't help you and create more distress. I advise anyone using this company to file a complaint with their state insurance commissioner if they have been harmed.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Leah, we apologize for the frustration you're feeling regarding your claim. If you'd like to have a supervisor reach out to discuss your concerns, please message us your best contact number and claim number.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

I had a bad experience when I called for a Roadside Assistance. My car keys and phone got locked In the car on my birthday. I just borrowed a random guy's phone in the parking lot to call but the guy assisted me took too long to process it. The guy I talked to said there is someone coming but I waited for 1 hr and 30 mins but no one came. I called up again and borrowed the security phone, this time the guy I talked to said someone already came and did the job but no one came. He said he's sending another service to unlocked my car but I don't want to keep waiting so I get creative. I took two small branches and tie it with my shoe laces and try to get the keys out because my car windows are slightly open. I got car key out. And ended up not getting any service from you. I'm so disappointed because it was my birthday, I really want to go home and celebrate and I'm also having a bad day then this happened. :(

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Cyrene, we sincerely apologize that you had this experience, and on your birthday no less. Your feedback regarding the roadside assistance vendor we use is extremely valuable and we'd like to have a supervisor contact you regarding this. We kindly ask that you message us with your policy number and best contact number. We hope to hear back from you and appreciate you sharing this with us.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance Company Information