2.0/5 (187 ratings)
Find a Car Insurance partner

Compare car insurance rates near you.

Get an auto quote on SmartFinancial.

Get Started

About Wawanesa Auto Insurance

Wawanesa offers auto, home, renters and condo insurance to clients in Canada, Oregon and California. It provides competitive rates for its auto coverage policies, which come with flexible payment terms and the ability to file claims 24/7. The company offers free quotes and same-day coverage.

Pros

• Flexible payment terms
  • 24/7 claims
  • Competitive rates

Cons

• Some customer complaints
  • Limited availability

Bottom Line

Wawanesa insures vehicles in Canada, California and Oregon. It offers flexible payment options, customized policies, free quotes, same-day coverage and 24/7 claim opportunities. It has some mixed reviews.

Compare car insurance rates near you.

Get an auto quote on SmartFinancial.

Get Started

Wawanesa Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wawanesa Auto Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Wawanesa Auto Insurance?

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

I filed a claim a few days after it happened. They would call and update me in the beginning, but a month later they decided to close the claim. On the letter they sent, it explicitly said “call us to reopen the case” but when I called, they said they can’t do it and never explained why the other party will not claim responsibility for the accident or pay for the damages. They will not fight for you, you’re better off with another insurance.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Marielle, we apologize for any miscommunication but a supervisor left you a voicemail and sent an email today advising that since the other party was uninsured, we are able to handle your claim and waive your deductible for you. Please contact us at your earliest convenience so that we may assist you.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2021

Okay, first of all, I used to recommend Wawanesa to EVERYONE in my life. I know, for sure, I have switched 9 people over to Wawanesa leaving their existing insurance companies. That number is most likely higher as I've told sooo many people about them. Then this happened: I had been with Wawanesa for a long time with auto pay for my billing cycle.

Fast forward to January 2020 and I was hit with Corona virus really really bad. It got to the point of it almost taking my life. Fortunately I am very strong and knew I would defeat it. My guardian angels were seriously working over time for me. This took quite some time and somewhere during my fight to survive, my bills had gotten skipped and Wawanesa canceled my policy. Okay I understand that. However I had no idea this had happened and many months later I was finally catching up on my bank statements and realized, oh my gosh Wawanesa wasn't anywhere to be found. So I called them up and explained what had Happened and apologized over and over. The agent reassured me Multiple times that we could pick up where I left off and I could get my beloved insurance back on track.

After many questions (the usual) the once kind man returned to the phone with a very harsh/rude and judgmental tone and told me I had an accident on my record. Let's Back track, last May 2019, I was driving to my fiancé's dad's house at 11:00pm and a huge Bull elk ran in front of my jeep. As I swerved to miss it, I flipped my Grand Cherokee 3 times end over end, only to land upside down 148 feet away from a sheer 350 foot cliff that plummeted into the depths of the ocean. This is Located along Highway 101 on the Oregon coast. Long story short, I am a walking miracle because I made it out alive. It was very very scary and very very bad.

Well unfortunately when I called my insurance to report it and make a claim the lady agent at Wawanesa told me they couldn't cover it because I swerved and didn't hit the elk square on. Thus it was 'my' fault. Well after an hour of being stuck in my seat/seat belt, upside down confused and scared, I was finally pulled out by two teenagers that thought my Jeep was going to explode due to the mutilated condition it was in. An hour after that the paramedics and a police officer finally arrived.

After seeing the carnage of my wreck and me standing in front of him to tell him what happened, The police officer looked at me as if I were a ghost. He then proceeded to tell me, a lady in a similar vehicle 'hit' a bull elk square-on, about 3 weeks earlier, and she was killed on impact. The elk blasted right thru her window. He was the first one to the crash and the Crazy thing was is She was on the SAME stretch of highway I was on!. I explained this to the agent and told her, if I had not swerved, I would have hit that elk and been killed on impact. So swerving saved my life. But still, she said, 'yeah, sorry that's just how it is.' Bummer.. but I understood and moved on. Its just how these things go.

Moving forward to the man on the phone who said I had an accident on my record, he said since that happened he can Not help me whatsoever. And treated me as if I was some type of criminal or something. I was shocked. He then proceeded to tell me some 3rd party insurer miiight help me. Gave me the number and quickly got off the phone. I am just so upset. On the website Wawanesa says they forgive one accident. I've been a Loyal member for a long time and had held them so high in my life. I had never had a claim before that accident. So this sucks. I feel so stupid for thinking they would understand and respect me the way I had respected them. :'(.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Tessa, we first want to sincerely apologize for our delay in responding to your post. We're truly sorry to hear about your experience and are happy to hear you're doing well. If you're still in need of insurance we'd really like to get in touch with you regarding your situation to see if there's anything we can do for you. We appreciate you as a former customer and would like to put you in touch with our Customer Relations team so that we can review your options.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2021

Disastrous and obnoxious rates. As if my current insurance rates with you weren't enough, you went on to send a renewal policy with a sweet $600 odd despite having no accidents or tickets AND putting me on Auto Renewal. On what basis do you even calculate the rates for a person having more than 8 years of North American Driving experience?

My broker chose this company last year due to some miscommunication and I ended up paying a heavy 500 odd per month. Hold on - I'm a G License Holder with 7 years of experience in the US. They didn't oblige for that experience entirely and cleverly deducted 3 years from it - for some crazy reason - only to keep the insurance on the high side. Still, I had to go with this fraud company for a year thinking they would reduce the rates during renewal. BUT NO! They went to increase by 100 per month. FOR WHAT??? NO ACCIDENTS OR CLAIMS OR TICKETS! What do you increase it for?

We are in a Pandemic where people are struggling to meet ends, and here we have this insurance company with no empathy - blissfully doing rings around increasing the rates, even double for a few of them. I seriously hope someone files a lawsuit on these guys for the way they openly cheat their customers. I'm DONE with your insurance. STAY FAR AWAY! NEVER opt for Wawanesa.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Prithvi, we apologize for the frustration you're feeling and would like to put you in touch with someone who can help. We provide auto insurance policies to California and Oregon drivers and based on your displayed city and state not being either one of those, we want to ensure we get you to the right person to help. Please message us your best contact number so that we may provide that assistance.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

My wife and myself have been with Wawanesa for over 20 years always great service and great rates. We insure two vehicles and pay less for the two of them than most people pay for one vehicle. A 2007 MBZ and a 2015 Subaru. I don’t need any other quotes. Thank you.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Kirk, we thank you for this kind review and appreciate your continued loyalty!

Original review: Oct. 9, 2020

I had Wawanesa for auto insurance for several years and overall the service was good. The rates do fluctuate, and I decided to go somewhere else with better rates. However, when I called the agent to cancel, she did not actually cancel my policy and I was charged for my cancelled policy. No problem I thought, mistakes happen. Of course, I call and the agent explains that I will need to send a picture of my bank statement to verify the charge had cleared. (This is honestly an outdated policy, customers shouldn’t be responsible to rectify mistakes and, like most other big companies, Wawanesa should be able to verify charges without the need to see my PERSONAL bank statement. Very invasive/weird way to work things.) On top of that, the agent explained that If that charges had made my account negative they wouldn’t be able to reissue the charge as negative charges get sent back.

I hope wawanesa agents realize the negative charges can go through and the bank will simply charge overdraft fees to the person. The logic behind it did not make sense. It does not apply to me as my account isn’t negative but God forbid if the charge made my account negative. I had to talk to literally five agents. Several told me they would “rush” my refund, another told me it would take five business days, well I called back today and was told a whole 15 BUSINESS DAYS to return my funds. If it takes over two weeks for them to process refunds to customers due to mistakes they made is outrageous. the system is really outdated because there is no way it takes weeks to return money. I wish they would reconsider updating their system as it’s not really customer service friendly. I am a poor college student who lost my job due to covid and I NEED my money. Freaking ridiculous. I had good service up until the point I decided to cancel.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Stephanie, we would like to get you in touch with you to discuss your concerns. Unfortunately, we were unable to reach you by the number we have on file and a supervisor recently reach out to you via email. Please reach out to the supervisor at his provided contact information if you'd like to further discuss this issue.

Resolution response: Sept. 17, 2020

Thank you for responding to my complaint and reimbursing me for the tow service. When I spoke to your representative they were very helpful. Hopefully in the future you'll be able to offer roadside assistance for older cars.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

Yesterday my car broke down and I called for tow service and I found out I no longer qualify for roadside assistance I had to pay. I've been a policyholder for 2 years. I am pissed and looking for new insurance.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Rachal, thanks for speaking with our supervisor regarding your experience. We understand your frustration in the matter and can see that regardless if indicated in customer documentation, it can still lead to a poor experience for our customers. While it may take some time to implement a change to our program in the future, we're glad to have settled on a solution for the meantime. Thank you for bringing this to our attention and allowing us to improve our service to customers like you.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2020

I've been with Wawanesa for many many years but getting a hold of someone for service anymore is impossible. I had to leave repeated calls for my Broker that weren't returned. When I left a message they didn't make the changes to my coverage and I had to pay. I decided to try switching brokers, they told me I had to phone close to my policy being due and I did, then was told I needed a copy of the renewal so I waited for that and called again and I was told the agents are on vacation and there was no one there who could do that for me.

I left my number but that was a week and half ago. I've got a notice that if I didn't pay by renewal date it would be void so I tried to contact Wawanesa directly but there doesn't appear to be a way to do that because you are redirected back to the broker who won't answer the phone or fix your policy. Unless you are unemployed and have nothing better to do, I no longer recommend this company. I have one work day to left for renewal but the only thing they make easy is to send money. I'll be shopping around.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Shirley, thanks for reaching out. If you have concerns regarding your broker, we would be happy to ask someone in Canada to look into this for you as we only have access to assist US policyholders. In order to assist you with this, please private message us with your policy number and your preferred method of contact.

Original review: June 18, 2020

THE WORST INSURANCE COMPANY! ABSOLUTELY CANNOT BE TRUSTED! After 4 years of paying premiums and no accidents, they increased our premiums by 25% for no reason and the next year cancelled us with 2 weeks notice for again absolutely NO reason. And they cancelled us during the COVID-19 pandemic. While other insurance companies are helping policy holders Wawanesa is cancelling them. They may be cheaper but believe me you’ll pay in the long run.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Cory, we're sorry to hear about what you've described and would like to have a Specialist review your policy and provide assistance. Please message us your best contact number and we will put someone directly in touch to help.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2020

I've never been so stressed out, as I am today. Wawanesa tried to cut corners and prolong my claim and this is what happened. On Wednesday Dec 4th , I noticed there was water on my floor of my dream car and few electrical issues (tail lights malfunctioning) after a several day storm. I called to make a claim in which no shop was recommended due to the brand "Aston Martin", so I had the car towed to a relatives shop about an hour away that had owned the same model in the past and knew the car very well.

On Friday Dec 13th, the adjuster gave an estimate under deductible to remove & install panels & replace the carpet with a "pending shop invoice". I called and mentioned there is nothing regarding the tail light malfunction, or electrical malfunctions & I was told "this is the initial claim & the shop will supplement..." Monday Dec 16th, he removed the instrument panel & mold was discovered, immediately called Wawanesa and told them there is mold and they need to send a specialist to clean the mold before any new carpets or such are installed. They said they will send the adjuster again. On January 12th the adjuster goes back to the shop, and apparently now the mold is everywhere. They call me to tell me there is $47K worth of damage to my car and I will be contacted in a few days to go over a settlement amount as they are considering it a total loss.

Two days later I get a call saying it's in investigation instead of the settlement amount. Which they sent experts and investigators to take statements and requested my phone logs. Today Friday Feb 21, they called me and said, "We are closing the investigation and will not pay anything to fix your car as it was the shops fault for letting the mold spread." The shop tells me he's not a mold specialist, that it's very hazardous & doesn't want to get near the car, breath or touch it. And that he contacted the insurance immediately and they didn't send any till a month later. Instead of the problem being solved, it became worse and now they are not helping me, I don't know what to do anymore.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Thank you for speaking with our Claim Supervisor. The cost of your initial damage was covered. Unfortunately, the independent repair shop sealed the vehicle for weeks with wet carpets inside which caused damage to your vehicle. We guarantee the work of repair shops in our network of approved providers, but we're not able to guarantee the work of independent repair shops and they're liable for the damage they cause. Please contact the leader you spoke with if you have any questions.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

This is the worst experience I've had with a claims adjuster. I was rear ended by a Wawanesa driver. The adjuster was disinterested, rude and difficult to get a hold of and didn't return calls when I need to talk to them. More importantly the adjuster completely ignored the facts, evidence and my statement of the case and made up a story to suit her needs. She called me up to record my version with her mind already made up about the case. I know this because immediately after my phone testimony she denied my claim and said - get ready for this - "the insurance company always stands by their driver" - let that sink in. She had no interest whatsoever in listening to me.

In light of my multiple testimonies and pictures of the accident, she did not even consider the possibility that I was telling the truth that I got rear ended (even when the other driver admitted to "drifting off"). Wawanesa also have not contacted my insurance company which has left multiple messages them them. The adjuster categorically concluded that I caused the accident which was not even close to possible given the facts. All I was looking for was to have my car repaired after being rear ended. I will now settle my claim in small claims court.

A few years ago I was struck by someone who had an honest insurance company with professional service and cheerfully set me up for repairs in a week (State Farm). If I ever need insurance I will never get it from these dishonest folk. If I'm a client of Wawanesa and need a claim I don't think they will work with you. This company does not strike me as one with a meaningful purpose. This experience with them has left me furious, frustrated and pessimistic. My message to Wawanesa is; You should honor your moral obligations otherwise how can people trust you.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

*Updated 2/3/20* Stephen, thank you for taking the time to speak with our Claims Supervisor. We apologize for the frustration that this accident has caused you. In a situation like your accident where there are conflicting accounts and no witnesses, insurers often need to consider evidence of damage. We use the physical damage evidence to both vehicles to support our decision. If you have any questions, please contact our Claims Supervisor.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

This insurance company is not reliable. After they settle accident - they will not back you up for any additional repairs, warranty. They will side more with the auto body shop that they work with. High premium that keeps going up every year, but for that - they should at least make the effort to give you a good experience and service. Switch and bait must be their mission!

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Pat, we would like to have your claim reviewed by a supervisor to address your concerns. Please message us your best contact number and we'll put someone in touch.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

I have unfortunately had two claims in the past year for issues in my condo and both times I have been shorted on payouts. The first time, I was advised that if the actual repair work exceeded the original estimate, that I would be compensated for the difference. Instead, I was met with silence after several emails and finally gave up and had to use a cheaper contractor.

On the second claim, which took about 2 months to close due to each phone call and email between me and my adjuster taking 48 hours to answer, I had to remind my adjuster that she missed one item that was damaged after my settlement came. She told me to provide receipts and pictures, which I did. The item in question (a mattress box spring) had already been photographed by the plumber sent by Wawanesa as well as the field adjuster who was sent to view my home, so there was no omitting this item. Again, I'm being met with silence.

It seems that when you have a claim with this company, there is no urgency in solving it and in fact you have to become your own project manager to keep things moving along. I didn't realize I was going to be taking on another full time job simply because I had a claim that wasn't my fault. At any rate, after two times, I think it's time to change providers.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Kelly, we're sorry for the frustration you've experienced regarding the handling of your claims and would like to get this escalated for you. Please private message us your policy number and best contact number so that we may have someone review your file and reach out to you.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

I’ve had Wawanesa auto insurance for, roughly, 20 years. Zero accidents, zero claims. On our recent renewal our rate increased 20%. Turns out it was because our parked motorcycle (not insured by Wawanesa) fell over and the CHP made a report of it. No damage, no claim, no payout. Just an excuse to raise our rate. We’ve had homeowner’s insurance with Wawanesa for one year. Just learned they’re not renewing because we have a hobby vineyard - not commercial. Lesson learned - I can’t afford cheap insurance. It’s like the airlines. Teaser rates and then look for any excuse to make you bleed. Strongly advise looking elsewhere.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response
Hi David, we apologize for the frustration you're feeling regarding your policies and would like to have your concerns looked into. Please message us with your best contact number and we can have someone review your policies and reach out directly.

*Update 1/17/20* David, thank you for taking time to speak with our Senior Underwriter today. As discussed, should you wish to continue your auto policy with us, please give our Customer Service team a call.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

Wawanesa Insurance was recommended to me by a friend in the Insurance business around 18 years back. I have had Automobile coverage with them since then. All these years, I would simply pay the premium and hope I never have to make a claim (against any insurance company :)). While Low rates get you in the door, it is critical to know how an insurance company handles your claim, when and if it happens. In the past few years, I made a couple of roadside assistance claims. Handled promptly and well, and I was on my merry way each time in a timely fashion.

Recently, I had an accident. Everyone from the person who took my report over the phone and helped me with a tow to the team of claims adjusters both internal (repairs to my car) and external (to the other vehicle), were kind, gentle, sensitive, professional and helpful. It really helped calm me down from the day of the accident to the weeks the claims were settled. They communicated with me regularly, responded promptly, and provided me with updates. The claims adjuster asked me to describe what happened, and I did. Based on our conversations, he said, "We would accept liability for the accident (I was making a left turn)." He handled the issue completely and promptly settled with the other party. I just had to respond to some forms and information.

My car: I dropped off my damaged vehicle at a Wawanesa approved repair facility. I made it clear to the repair facility, that I would very much like the car to be fixed, rather than totalled. The repair estimate showed me that it was high enough to go either way. Never had to follow up with the Wawanesa group about my car. The repair place also provided regular updates via e-mail. On the agreed date, I went to the shop, and my car was repaired, and it is as it was before the fender bender.

My Rates: For 17 years with a great driving record, my rates were really low. They did go up some as time went on, reflecting the cost of the insurance business. Now, after the accident, my rate has gone up, but not too much. They are still affordable, and I believe less than rates offered by most other insurance companies for a clean driving record. So very happy with Wawanesa (especially in my time of need). I hope I can keep paying them by continuing to be a customer, but not have to make a claim again.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi La, thank you so much for sharing your experience and for being a longtime policyholder. We're so glad that our team has always taken excellent care of you, especially during the claim as it can be a stressful time for anyone. We look forward to servicing you for many more years to come.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2019

I have been with Wawanesa for 15+ years. In early 2018, I traded my 2003 Volkswagen for an Infiniti. I called them to switch vehicles and got an addendum that showed the Infiniti. Six months later, my policy renewal still had the Volkswagen. So, I called them again and told them that the Volkswagen was gone and they told me that they never switched the policy back in February so I had to pay more money. I was angry but what was I going to do? Tonight, while checking my policy, I realized that the Volkswagen is still on the policy almost 2 years later! I always thought that the policy increase was because the new car was an Infiniti. But, now I realized it was because they are charging me for 2 cars when I only own 1. I am going to be calling customer service next week. But, I am starting to think that this company has no clue what they are doing. I am seriously thinking about leaving for another insurance company.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Scott, we're sorry to hear about this experience and would like to have your policy reviewed and for a supervisor to reach out to you directly to address your concerns. Please message us your best contact number or you may call a Customer Relations Specialist at 1-877-220-2191 Monday-Friday between 7:30am and 6:30pm to provide your information.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

I was in an accident with someone that has Wawanesa. I was not at fault but now after filling claims with both mine and this insurance they come back to me to tell me that they believe it's my fault even though the police report says totally different. Took them so long that my car is already fixed and I'm going to be suing.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Mason, we would like to have your claim reviewed by a supervisor and to go over your concerns. We kindly ask for you to provide your best contact number and we'll have one reach out to you directly. You may also call in at your own convenience and provide your details to a Relations Specialist at 1-877-220-2191 Monday - Friday between 7:30 AM and 6:30 PM.

Resolution response: Dec. 12, 2019

Wawanesa reached out to me and explained why my rates went up. It turned out there was a violation on my DMV record that was supposed to come off. The person working with me was very helpful and I am changing my ratings to a 5. Once i take care of the violation, Wawanesa will retro the rates back to the original terms.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

A friend referred me to Wawanesa and they were decent. But in the last few years they kept increasing my auto insurance. When I call they always say it's not my record but the number of accidents they had to cover. Lately, they increased it by over $300 and changed my coverage without consent, adding uninsured motorist and changing deductibles. I am not planning on renewing and would NOT recommend Wawanesa.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Hugo, we appreciate your feedback and apologize if you have been impacted by any increased rates in recent years. We'd like to have someone review your policy closely in order to address your concerns. We kindly ask that you message us your best number so that we may reach out to provide assistance regarding this matter.

*Update* Hugo, thank you for speaking with us today and allowing us to clear up any misunderstandings. Please don't hesitate to call if you have any further questions.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

I showed up to pick up my car from a friend's house Monday morning to go to work. I notice right away that somebody ran into my car. I called the police and made a report. Then called insurance and made a claim. Little did I know that who or whatever hit my car. Hit it twice. So I called insurance back as soon as I seen other damages. They made me feel like I was neglected toward handling my responsibility in reporting the incident. Now they are saying I need to make another claim because I didn't Initially report the other damages. So now I have to pay two deductible for somebody else's incompetence. It's bad enough I have to pay one deductible for somebody's else's stupidity. Whoever Their adjusters are, Are worthless. If you can see the damages to my vehicle you can tell it from the same vehicle. You guys need a better claims Department.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Gabriel, thank you for speaking with our Claims Division Supervisor. We sincerely apologize for your initial experience and we are happy our Claims Division Supervisor made contact with you to resolve your concerns. We are very committed to providing excellent service and appreciate your feedback. Should you have any further questions or concerns please do not hesitate to reach out to the Claims Division Supervisor for assistance.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

We have been insured with Wawanesa for 23 years. For the 1st time we filed a claim due to my hitting our garage post. Everybody from Shelby ** to Darren ** and the entire Claim Service Team were soooo helpful and understanding. We were kept appraised of every action including car rental coverage. We chose our own auto collision center to repair the damage and are very happy with the results. Thank you Wawanesa for allowing the car not to be a total loss.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi T, thank you for sharing your positive experience from our claims team. We look forward to many more years of providing you with great service when you need us most.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

Never had an accident or any tickets and drive under 12,000 miles a year and this company increased my rates every year. I am now 63 years old have a two year old suv and a another vehicle driving 4,000 miles a year. After research several other companies and taken courses to help with my insurance cost I am going save over $200 with another company. This company was once a good company and now it is just like most other insurance companies GREEDY.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi J., we're sorry to hear that you were impacted by these rate increases. We'd like to have someone review your policy to ensure that all appropriate rating and discounts are applied and that you do have the best offer from us. Please message us your best contact number and we can put someone in touch right away. We appreciate your prior years of loyalty and hope to be able to speak with you soon.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

I unfortunately had two separate claims with Wawanesa within one year. I had the insurance for 8 years before ever having to make a claim. During the claims process, the agents always seem bothered that you're calling them or trying to get answers. They have no respect for their insureds and treat you as if you're trying to fraud them. I was found not at fault in both claims, but they have no interest in helping to resolve the claim. The entire process was extremely frustrating! They find any excess to not pay or and reduce payment to the lowest amount possible. This is a low budget insurance company. They will save you money in premiums, but not provide any valuable service once you have to file a claim. I used to have AAA insurance and always received stellar service. I'm changing insurance companies!

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi John, we're very sorry to hear about your experience and apologize for the level of service you received. We'd like to escalate this to our claims leadership team and kindly ask that you message us your best contact number.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

Have never had any issues, price for insurance is reasonable. Have been with them for over 40 years, never any problems. Company has been in business for a long time, always a fair and equitable price for customers.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Helen, thank you for being a valued policyholder of over 40 years, WOW!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

I submitted a claim recently with Wawanesa Insurance after some damage occurred to my car when I parked it in my apt complex's guest parking overnight. There was damage to the windshield and right fender. I had no idea what occurred. Instead of assisting me with my claim, they assigned me to one of their claim adjusters who basically called me a liar. She said my car was in motion, hit a cement post and the windshield damage was another accident. This is without any proof. So a total in damages of $1377 was reduced to basically nothing, and they gave me a check for $60 to cover my damages. Just a deceptive and dishonest company.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi George, we're sorry to hear about your frustration with your recent claim experience and outcome. We could have someone from our claims leadership team reach out to you to answer any questions you have and address your concerns. Please message us your best contact number if you're interested.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

My mother was a long time policyholder (over 25 years) for homeowners and auto insurance. After her sudden death, this company was so difficult to work with and offered so little guidance. As if it wasn't bad enough losing my mother but to get the runaround and then cancel all policies with no options was ridiculous. I understand they have policies but some assistance and sympathy during this terrible time would have been appreciated.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

*Update 8/30/19* Kristyn, thank you for speaking with one of our supervisors to share your experience and for allowing us the chance to provide coaching to our staff members. We appreciate your time and please do not hesitate to contact the supervisor directly should there be anything further we can do to assist you during this difficult time.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

Well I never really had any issues and we've been with them for 10 years now. They're pricing is affordable if you have a good driving record and the coverage is certainly sufficient. I don't like that their customer service hours are limited, and that they only have a San Diego office (probably because they're Canadian based). With that said, if you've got a good driving record I would recommend you give them a shot.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Nick, thank you for your many years of loyalty! Our agents are currently available Monday-Friday from 7:30am to 7:30pm and Saturday from 8:00am to 4:30pm and we've also made improvements to our website and introduced our new online Account Management Portal so that policyholders can access their information 24/7. We certainly want to be there to support our policyholders when they need us. We appreciate your feedback and are planning to expand our hours in the near future.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2019

If you get into an accident no matter how big or small they won't assist you and often will breach their contract of good faith. They will delay, delay, delay to encourage you to give up and will not perform their duty as an insurance provider. Also they don't do any of the work and will make you do your own investigation and submit evidence which is their job and what you pay them for. You are guilty from the start and even after presenting enough evidence they won't help you and create more distress. I advise anyone using this company to file a complaint with their state insurance commissioner if they have been harmed.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Leah, we apologize for the frustration you're feeling regarding your claim. If you'd like to have a supervisor reach out to discuss your concerns, please message us your best contact number and claim number.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2019

I had a bad experience when I called for a Roadside Assistance. My car keys and phone got locked In the car on my birthday. I just borrowed a random guy's phone in the parking lot to call but the guy assisted me took too long to process it. The guy I talked to said there is someone coming but I waited for 1 hr and 30 mins but no one came. I called up again and borrowed the security phone, this time the guy I talked to said someone already came and did the job but no one came. He said he's sending another service to unlocked my car but I don't want to keep waiting so I get creative. I took two small branches and tie it with my shoe laces and try to get the keys out because my car windows are slightly open. I got car key out. And ended up not getting any service from you. I'm so disappointed because it was my birthday, I really want to go home and celebrate and I'm also having a bad day then this happened. :(

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Cyrene, we sincerely apologize that you had this experience, and on your birthday no less. Your feedback regarding the roadside assistance vendor we use is extremely valuable and we'd like to have a supervisor contact you regarding this. We kindly ask that you message us with your policy number and best contact number. We hope to hear back from you and appreciate you sharing this with us.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

UPDATED 08/14/2019:1.5weeks after leaving Slaims supervisor (Annett Howell) a message to call back I'm still waiting. The regular claims guy called back and had no updates. I insisted a call back from a supervisor and he told me that would be tomorrow... thats 1.5 weeks ago

I got a notice from Wawanesa's lawyer claiming my ins terms had verbiage about required testimony under oath. He lied; that doesn't exist. I have my terms and sent it to him. Again I haven't heard back from him in 1.5 weeks either..

I'm getting no transparency or responses.

ORIGINAL REVIEW 08/07/2019:I've had some bad luck with a few comprehensive claims in the past 4 yrs or so.. Long story short my car was damaged when parked unattended. They're making me feel like a crook trying to have my car repaired. This time my car was scratched, and my windshield was covered; I figured it was scratched up too much to drive around (did turn out the body shop was able to polish it up with some exceptions of chips that came of this). I called Wawanesa and told them that I would just drop off the car and they could work on the claim with the shop directly. They didn't approve a rental, saying they needed to determine if the car was undriveable. I explained that I could not see out my windshield and wasn't comfortable driving it around. So I took the car in. I tried several times to get an update, as I was paying out of pocket for a rental car. Next contact was 3 WEEKS to get their appraiser or adjuster to approve the claim.

3 Weeks later I get a call from a guy named Aaron (no last name), he's treating me completely unprofessional; and tells me to take my car back now that the windshield was cleaned. He informs me that a Private investigator will call me. I pick up my car and get a call from the PI; meet with him. I had no problems cooperating. No contact for 2 weeks; I requested updates and nothing. 2 Weeks later a Lawyer calls me requesting phone records, financials, etc. This morning we sent me an email that says: 'We spoke on Monday and I told you I was retained to represent Wawanesa General Insurance Company with respect to your insurance claim with them. Sadly, we did not get you the letter I promised but you will have it today. I will then call you to discuss. The date for your Examination Under Oath can be moved and we can jointly agree on a location. We will discuss the records request during our call.'

Are they kidding me? They are treating me like a criminal. I called and asked for a supervisor; left a message for one. The same Aaron (no last name but says he's Wawanesa investigator) calls me and would give me details. I requested a supervisor again and he told me he/she is out today. I requested a call tomorrow. WTF is this? and Examination under Oath? I don't know what tricks they are trying to pull but this is not normal. This is a personal property claim, I'm a client that pays for insurance. RUN AWAY FROM SHADY COMPANIES AND GO TO A BIG REPUTABLE ONE. I'm done with Wawanesa. Worst experience ever!!

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Mike, thank you for speaking with our Claims Division Supervisor. Please accept our apologies for a Claims Supervisor not contacting you sooner. We appreciate your patience as we work through the claims process with you. Should you have any further questions or concerns please reach out to the Claims Division Supervisor you spoke with to discuss this matter.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

Do not use this insurance. They will trap by giving you lower rate than other insurance and then they will not pay out to you when there is a claim, plus they will increase premium without cause. Most of us sign up and forgot to shop around. This insurance company is not worthy for a 100 bucks discount if they don't pay you when there is a claim or try not to pay properly. As little as they could. I was in that trap. I had them for 20 yrs and a good driver discount and all that but when I made one little claim which didn't even cost much to fix car, they didn't pay me at all by appraising it all under my deductible amount. It sucks. I urge anyone to see review before getting in with them. I did not see review when I sign up with them. My bad.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi H, we're sorry to hear about your claim experience. We'd like to have a supervisor review your case and reach out to address your concern. Please message us your claim number and best contact number and we can put someone in touch.

Original review: July 25, 2019

If you are seeking credible and honest insurance I would avoid this company. They will take your money and not help you when you really need it. I was involved in a car accident and they said it was 100% my fault without a second thought,and decided in their best interest to not do anything because it would cost them too much time and money. In summary, they don't do anything, just look at the many negative comments from people similar experiences they all can't be lying. The purpose of insurance is so you can have peace of mind and protection but this company doesn't look out for their clients, their clients are the ones feeding them so they are biting the hands of the people that pay their bills and expenses. Don't say I didn't warn you. They do this on purpose so they can raise your premiums and continue to do harm to their customers.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance response

Hi Chloe, we sincerely apologize for the level of service you experienced and would like to have a supervisor review your claim and address the concerns you raise. We kindly ask that you message us your claim number and best contact number and we can put someone in touch.

Wawanesa Auto Insurance Company Information