3.4/5 (965 ratings)
Find a Homeowners Insurance partner

Need to insure your new home, or looking to lower your rate?

Get pricing in minutes with Lemonade

Get started

About USAA Homeowners Insurance

USAA sells auto and property coverage to members of the U.S. military. The company has homeowners insurance policies for all active and retired military personnel and their immediate family members. It offers several coverage and discount options for eligible households. You can get free USAA insurance quotes online.

Top USAA Homeowners Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

USAA has been first rate. Recently, we had our hot water heater blow up and pretty much mess up our entire basement. Once we called USAA, they got right on the case... they were v...

Verified

USAA is great for everything. Care about you and do it right. They provide great customer service and products, and they respond fast and efficiently. They have the best service f...

Need to insure your new home, or looking to lower your rate?

Get pricing in minutes with Lemonade

Get started

What is USAA homeowners insurance?

USAA is an insurance provider that offers affordable home coverage for military members and their families. You can customize its policies to your specific needs, with coverage for dwellings, belongings, earthquake damages, loss of use, personal liability and more. It also provides policy add-ons including options for flooding, rental properties and valuable belongings.

You can get free quotes online or through a local agent, and USAA offers discounts for bundled policies, a claims-free history, protective devices and more.

USAA homeowners insurance coverage

USAA offers a few different coverage options for single-family homes, condos, mobile homes, farms and rental properties. Your policy might include coverage for the home itself as well as other structures on your property, such as garages, storage sheds, fences and driveways. USAA homeowners policies also cover belongings, weather damage, theft, vandalism and loss of use of the property.

You can also include personal liability for added protection in the event you’re responsible for someone’s injury or property damage. USAA provides umbrella insurance for damages exceeding your policy limits.

USAA home insurance quotes and rates

To see your customized USAA homeowners rate, complete an online quote request or contact its 24/7 support line. Costs vary depending on your home and location, with premiums typically ranging from $500 to $2,500 per year. This cost is usually paid out of your mortgage’s escrow account, but you may pay it in full or in installments if you don’t have a mortgage.

USAA offers several price-saving options, including multipolicy, protective device and claims-free discounts. You can also save on your premium by choosing a higher deductible.

USAA homeowners insurance FAQ

Who is eligible for USAA homeowners insurance?
Active-duty military, veterans and honorably discharged service members qualify for USAA’s insurance coverage — as well as their spouses, widows or widowers, unremarried former spouses, children and stepchildren.
Does USAA homeowners insurance cover HVAC?
Your USAA homeowners insurance policy can cover HVAC repairs or replacements in certain cases. For example, if your equipment is damaged in a power surge, your coverage could kick in. However, home insurance often will not cover these systems; a home warranty typically offers more thorough coverage for HVAC systems.
What does USAA home insurance cover?
USAA home insurance covers fire, theft, vandalism, most weather-related events, liability and identity theft. Its coverage varies from state to state, but you can customize your policy based on your home and your needs.
Where is USAA home insurance available?
USAA homeowners insurance is available in all 50 states. Its local agents are available throughout the country.

Is USAA homeowners insurance good?

USAA is a solid option for military service members and their families — it provides affordable policies with customizable coverage. This provider has a reputation for courteous customer service, making it especially ideal for those who prefer communicating over the phone. If you’re eligible, you can request a free quote online or call its 24/7 support line to get started.

USAA Homeowners Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA Homeowners Insurance?

Original review: Oct. 21, 2021

Most of the staff are creative and careful about their consumer. A few month ago I contacted with this company and call them. The Person answer all of my question that I asked for. They completed all document and make the process easy.

Original review: June 26, 2021

USAA is attentive and thorough. I know they will follow up with me quickly on any question I have, and explain things thoroughly. I haven't had to file a claim with them for this, but friends who have tell me they process claims quickly.

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 12, 2021

USSA covers everything I need as far as insurance, home, auto, life. They also have banking services, credit cards. They honor the veterans with their products. Their children get the same benefits as their parents.

Original review: June 11, 2021

I have never paid a cent for any repairs to my house. Customer support is spectacular. They are always Johnny on the spot when I need help. Rates and premiums can't be beat for military. Military friendly.

Original review: April 6, 2022

As a military member I ended up getting my banking and insurance needs through USAA. When I bought a home I thought they would be a good option that "takes care" of military members. I had a faulty roof that somehow the VA home inspector missed. Caused severe internal damage to my home. I went to submit a claim with USAA and they refused to cover the roof citing the previous home owner's "faulty workmanship" but agreed to cover the internal damage.

Well there is no point in getting the interior fixed before the exterior or more damage will occur... So I had to grind (this is during the start of Covid) to save up over 10,000 to get a new roof, which during the hard times took over a year. I finally was able to afford to fix my roof. So I went back to USAA for the internal damage. This time around they told me they probably wouldn't cover it because it's been too long, but I can get quotes anyway. Left it completely up to me to find quotes...

So I call around, no one can give me an estimate because it's all "hidden damage" behind the walls/ceiling. To get an accurate number, they have to start busting into the walls and ceilings which will cost money. So I went to USAA to try and tell them I can't get a good estimate without work starting.. they refused to agree. They said I need an estimate.

TL;DR - USAA said they would cover something that would get re-damaged if something else wasn't fixed first. So I had to save myself for a year to fix that something else, and then USAA said it's been too long and they won't cover anything. Also they expect you to do all the leg work for estimates on repairs and when the only way to get an estimate is to start work they refuse to help you.. Complete "figure it out yourself, we will do anything we can to get out of ever forking over a dime to anyone in need" mentality at USAA. Think Twice before you trust them as a military member... they are just as greedy and cruel as any other corporation.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2022

After thirty-five years with State Farm, I switched to USAA, having heard good things about them. Alas, all of the good things were clearly lies or propaganda put out by USAA, itself. Upon filing a claim when an upstairs toilet valve went out and left significant water damage to my home, USAA hired ServPro of Montgomery County, Tennessee. Throughout my unfortunate tenure of dealing with ServPro, I was fed nothing but lies--all of which can be proven through USAA's Claims Communication Center, as well as emails and texts from ServPro--with failed deadlines, missing property, inept workmanship, and, ultimately, ServPro's abandonment of the project, which left my home in worse condition than it originally was when I bought it as a fixer upper twenty-two years ago.

Did USAA provide a moderator when I asked for assistance? No. Did they try to offer any help? No. Did they pay ServPro off, despite the company having failed to honor their contract and finish their work? Most certainly. As a lawyer friend said, USAA and ServPro are clearly in bed together. I only wish I'd known before I became involved with such corrupt, godless individuals as the people I've dealt with at both USAA and ServPro of Montgomery County (the names Clements and Breeden being key ones you should avoid at all costs).

I've since had to engage the help of the Attorney General, BBB, Contractor Connection, and Insurance Commissioner for assistance in the matter--now having an inhabitable house, due to ServPro and USAA--but strongly suggest anyone with USAA drop them immediately, and anyone considering letting ServPro of Montgomery County, Tennessee do any work for them seriously rethink the matter. Multiple lawyers have told me bad things about USAA. Other policyholders, likewise, have said they're only good for automobile insurance, but not homeowner's. For me, unfortunately, having USAA insurance is like having no insurance at all.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2022

Moved into my condominium 07/20 and in September 2021 my water heater started leaking from the bottom at a fast rate. At 6 am HOA that morning was banging on door for me to shut off water to my water heater but a lot of water had soaked into 2 apartments below mine causing $17,000 damage to these apartments.

Here it is almost 4 months later and nothing. As a matter of fact, they said since I wasn’t negligent - quote “If it was a bathtub that overflowed and I was at fault I would be covered.” What kind of insurance company would say if I was 100% negligent they would cover the damage to the condominiums below, but since this water heater was a catastrophic failure and no fault of mine, no coverage. Makes no sense to me, 30 year member with no property claims ever. It’s quite unbelievable.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2021

Wind storms have been a problem and causing issues with roof. I filed a claim after having independent roofer and home inspector come out. Both stated a new roof was needed. However, USAA stated only $500 repair. I fought for weeks, finally had to pay out of pocket for new roof or would not be able to close on the home. This experience lets me know I will not be using USAA for our new home or any other services.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

I have home and auto with USAA. They use to be a good company. But WOW have they changed!! I filed a home owners claim for water damage. It's been 4 days and STILL no call, email, nothing. No acknowledge whatsoever of my claim. basement is flooded, more damage is happening daily and I can't even talk to a real person. I have left messages daily. Guess I will be taking my home, life, and auto business somewhere else. I can't believe how bad their customer service has become. PLEASE stay away from the new USAA!!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2021

My mother, a USAA insured for 62 years, filed a claim with USAA when her condominium flooded due to a leak in a water heater in the unit upstairs from hers. That was more than three months ago. The USAA agent first required us to force her HOA to file a claim with its insurer even though the HOA did not believe it was a covered claim with their insurance. The agent told us her USAA coverage would not kick in until we got an answer from the HOA’s insurance. We finally got a denial from that company, which I immediately passed on to USAA. Since that day, the agent has failed to respond to any of our four emails or phone calls requesting permission to proceed with repairs. The only thing we are left with is silence and frustration.

I am in the process of filing a consumer complaint with the state office of insurance. I have never had such a difficult time dealing with an insurance company in my life. I cannot recommend strongly enough that others avoid USAA insurance. Their agents communicate no concern for my mother or her situation, which has disrupted her plans to move to the condominium. I do recommend Liberty Mutual as the best insurance company I’ve ever dealt with regarding service and claims. Take your business to another insurer, perhaps Liberty Mutual.

USAA Homeowners Insurance Company Information