2.25/5

USAA Homeowners Insurance

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military and their families. USAA doesn't currently participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you're a member of the U.S. military in need of insurance, contact InsuraMatch today to see multiple offers that could work for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

258 USAA Homeowners Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

My husband and I have our homeowner's with them and they have turned us down for ROT in our home. We pay our payment every month ON TIME! They said they don't cover rot! My husband has been loyal to them for over 25 years but I guess LOYALTY means nothing with them anymore. It's ok. We will move our insurance elsewhere even if it cost more. USAA is not for their members anymore. They are all about the mighty DOLLAR & NOT taking care of their members. I am so ashamed to have spent as long as we have with them! They are NOT the same as they were 5 years ago! We have had 1 claim between HOMEOWNER'S & AUTO in 25 YEARS & this is how you do your members! Going shopping for better companies!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I filed a claim in October for leaks in my roof that stained the ceiling in three separate locations. USAA recommended a "preferred" provider in my area. I had the provider take a look at the interior and roof of my home. They told me I had hail damage and needed a full roof replacement. They took pictures, submitted evidence and waited... and waited... and waited... January came, still no response from USAA (I had called and left several messages at this point, the provider had as well). I called the main office and asked to speak to a supervisor, and they finally responded to the work request and asked for more photos. The provider sent the roofer back out to take more pictures and resubmitted them. Two more weeks go by, nothing. Mind you I have called every other day only to get a voicemail. I call the main office again, and they tell me they need to send out an engineer, fine, whatever, fix my freaking house already.

The engineer came out, took two more weeks to submit his report. USAA got the report and told me they are not liable for anything except the interior. Meanwhile, the engineer got a check for $3,000, and I have to cover everything for my roof. Shady AF. A property claim, filed in OCTOBER, still has not been resolved and it is currently the middle of FEBRUARY. I have been a loyal USAA customer for nearly 12 years, and I will never purchase another product from them. It's sad how far USAA has fallen. It used to be about veterans and their families; now it's just another company with somewhat restrictive new client requirement.

Get expert buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I realize that the bulk of these complaints relate to the terrible way USAA handle auto claims. However, my experience goes beyond that. I have been a member for 17 years. I have had auto, homeowners policies, as well as savings, checking and credit card accounts with them as well. I currently have homeowners insurance with them that keeps increasing astronomically. I'm in the process of obtaining my insurance elsewhere. It really upsets me to see how USAA have mistreated the military community under the guise that they care. To my military family, please wake up, stop being complacent and stop being used and disrespected by USAA! Take your business elsewhere! You are just being used for their bottom line... PROFIT!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

Our house caught fire in March 2018. We have been fighting with USAA ever since to reach a settlement and get our home rebuilt. Immediately after the fire, the adjusters came and made us feel that they would be helping. Instead, they offered a ridiculously low figure and disappeared. It became our problem to figure out the total damage and propose an appropriate amount. After nearly 12 months, the settlement number we have reached with them is nearly 3X their initial offer. We're still struggling to get them to pay that amount.

Overall, we have been shocked at how our claim was handled. USAA has treated us like an enemy and not a customer. Every step has been difficult including communicating with their adjusters. Partly this is due to them being overcommitted and the many fires/hurricanes and other disasters that occurred this year. I have empathy for those other people but why did USAA take so long to reach a fair settlement with us? Why did they delay every decision and make us grovel for simple coverage of obviously necessary items. We have much more to say about this but want to let others know...these people are not your friends and they will fight you to the last for every dollar of payment. Don't believe that you will be treated fairly just because you are a veteran.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I don't know what happened to this company. They used to be extremely helpful and had excellent customer service so I decided based on past experience to do a bundle deal on Homeowners, Windstorm and Auto Insurance. I also opened a checking account ready to change my direct deposit to go into the account. I was told before my insurance can start there are documents that I needed to sign. They told me to log in and sign. I have tried and tried. My account is locked. I called tech support and it was reset. As soon as I logged in it locked again. I have spent hours and hours talking to these people and each one tells me the problem is corrected but it's not. I call and call and they tell me they can't prove my identity. They ask for information of my driver's license. I look straight at it and answer all their questions which every time is a waste of my time because they say I am wrong. Then they hang up on me now.

I am supposed to have insurance. I can't even send a payment for and a bank account I can't access. So strange how they verified me to open the accounts with the same information and now nothing. I am a disabled veteran. I can't handle stress. It makes me physically and mentally ill. I switched to USAA for good customer service and now I am completely frustrated. Plus there is not an office anywhere close that I could walk into. I guess I will call a different insurance agency and kiss the money I put into my account goodbye as no one will help me there. Beware please. They seem nice until they get your money and then they are a nightmare. Thanks for reading.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

We filed a claim in August 2018 for water damage from a burst furnace/hot water heater pipe. They changed their reason for not honoring our claim 5 times. They are disorganized, un-businesslike and rude. Their marketing is bogus. I understand that USAA this was once an excellent firm - not anymore as far as I'm concerned. We're going back to Safeco.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

USAA waves the Red White & Blue. That is their marketing ploy. The representatives that answer the phone are all very pleasant and make you feel special. Don't be fooled like we were. They make you feel wonderful right up until the time you have a claim. When it comes to paying claims they are horrible. We had an auto claim that is now over 5 months old and they have still not paid for the loss. We had a homeowners claim that is now over 5 months old and they have not paid that either. Worst insurance company we've ever had. Luckily were in a financial position that we can afford an attorney to pursue USAA and are doing so.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I had a claim on my garage door. They lowballed me. I submitted another estimate and they went even lower??? Nearly 1K lower than either estimate. I have never had a more frustrating experience or felt like I was being cheated when I put in a claim with any other company...and I'm 62. I'm going back to Allstate where they value their customers and don't rip you off. They are not worth using.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

We are former customers of USAA and sang their praises until we filed a claim. Before the claim, whenever we called in with questions, the reps were always very friendly and helpful. But when it comes to honoring what they say over the phone all bets are off. Most calls are not recorded so it will be your word against the rep's word and USAA will always side with the rep. We were told that items were covered over the phone that truly weren't in our policy. We were never sent the full policy (only the summary pages) so make sure you request it and comb through it carefully (every other company will send you a copy of the full policy). We had a huge service failure that made it to the CEO's office. In the end they sided with the rep. (Why would she admit to a mistake when the call was never recorded?) They wouldn't even take the blame for never sending us a copy of the policy. (How is that not illegal?)

Also, before they estimated the value of our home for the policy they temporarily insured us for the purchase price of our home (which includes land!) When (on their timeline) THEY decided on the value of our structure and the contents (which was obviously lower than the purchase price) they never gave us credit for the extra amount we paid to insure land (no other insurance company does this). This should have been a huge red flag. We now use CHUBB which will always side with the customer. Do your homework before going with USAA.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I am still waiting for a simple water damage claim to be paid over 4 months from the incident. My home is unsafe for my young children. USAA has poor communication and does not seem to care. They have left me without a functioning kitchen. It is hazardous to my family. I have done everything on my end. They don't want to pay for my damage or care that my family is unsafe. They do not treat veterans or their families respectfully. Don't waste your money, it is not worth it.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I've been a member for 14 years and made a mistake in getting a home mortgage with them. They have paid the wrong property tax and now homeowner's insurance. Mismanagement of escrow funds and negligence. I'm fed up and looking to take legal action.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

If you ask them if something is covered by your homeowner's policy, they'll force you to submit a claim to get an answer. Then, even if you abandon the claim, they'll report it to all the insurance claim history aggregators, causing you endless problems and extra cost any time you go to buy insurance in the future. Even though the claim was abandoned and they never paid out a cent.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I had hail damage to my house a few years ago. It was only a few months after switching my homeowner's insurance to USAA. They answered the phone promptly, were very professional, and streamlined the process, and paid for the damage. A few of my neighbors had trouble with other insurance companies paying for their damage. I did not. So, if they are a little more expensive than some of the other insurance companies, you get what you pay for. As far as the complaints on this website, if I have a problem with USAA, I will be back on this website with a complaint. Until then, I will remain their customer.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

My husband and I have been members and customers of USAA for over 10 years, we have had to file our first homeowner insurance claim and could not be more disappointed in our experience or with USAA. We were hit by a terrible hail storm in June 2018. Terrible damage to our property, vehicles, and community. We called and filed a claim and it went downhill from there. The adjuster they sent out didn't spend more than 15-20 minutes at our home. He missed a tremendous amount of damage! I called USAA and told them this and they said "Don't be alarmed, anything missed just have your contractor submit supplemental bids and we will take care of it." Following my complaint I was called by a man that worked for quality at USAA, he came out and spent 2+ hrs at my home. He advised me that he was not an adjuster, but all his notes and pics would be sent over to the original adjuster and it would be revised and approved. Yay!!! Or so I thought...

The original adjuster still proved to be incompetent even when his job was done for him! I called USAA again and was told "just have your contractor submit his supplemental bids and we will take care of it." So that's what we did. It has been 6 months! We have had 5 adjusters from USAA in our home. We are on subfloors and concrete floors, have busted out windows, no insulation in over half our house, our contractor fronted the money to put in a working furnace for us and it's December!!

And USAA has been investigating our claim for a month now. All this could have been avoided if the original adjuster had done his job correctly! I would like to end this review with advice for any USAA current or new or about to be customers; when dealing with any and I mean any USAA personnel record it!! Video, voice, have witnesses, call USAA when someone from their office shows up and when they leave. To cover you and your investments record record record! We have been mistreated and unfairly interrogated and have had our words twisted against us, I wish I would have known to record any interactions with USAA.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

USAA is great for everything. Care about you and do it right. They provide great customer service and products, and they respond fast and efficiently. They have the best service for the cost than anyone, and never let you down. USAA is fabulous and dependable.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

My husband has been with USAA for over 20 yrs. We had a hail storm in mid July, 2018 that totaled our roof. As responsible homeowners we replaced it right away. Early Aug we got hit with a second hail storm and totaled our new roof! USAA was great in adjusting everything and paid them out... Then they discontinued us! I'm so mad, so much for looking out for us. Now to get another insurance company (if you can after 2 claims in 2 months) they are double to triple the cost. What a scam or as we call it... ORGANIZED CRIME! My husband is moving all his accounts to ENT.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

We really like USAA. They always call in a Natural Disaster. They are caring about their customers and making sure they are safe. They make sure we have all we need and that all claims are taken care of promptly. The price is reasonable and family members can be added at no cost. They have perk, apps, incentives, discounts etc. USAA has apps you can use to manage your account/accounts as well. Highly recommend USAA.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

USAA is competent and flexible. This is the company used by most armed forces personnel when they can get it. They understand what it means to serve, which is their slogan and their way of doing business. They provide the best coverage at a reasonable price. They have the best customer service and are the most helpful when filing a claim and taking care of damages. However, I would change their policy of not covering folks in certain areas because of the state doing stupid stuff.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

USAA is customer friendly and reliable. I have USAA insurance since purchasing my first house way back to the 1970's. The insurance costs a little more but service is outstanding. If you have something happen and call them you can be assured that they will send an adjuster at no time. No waiting for days. On many occasions they will issue you a check at that time. I have always been treated with the upmost courtesy and kindness by USAA. It would be nice however if coverage would be a little cheaper. Nowadays everything is so very expensive sometimes causing families not to carry the required coverage. Still, overall USAA is very convenient and the adjusters are informative and explain everything. You are also provided a computer printout of what was discussed and what the company is paying you for.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

I have been a USAA customer for many years. I have said many wonderful things and have felt 100% supported, until now. I have been out of my home for 27 days due to a water leak from the unit above me. I filed a claim immediately, have done everything right and have been the one to initiate all communication and have had to fight daily to accomplish anything with this claim. They could easily take my deductible, which I am happy to pay, cover the claim and get me back into my home quickly and use their internal department to fight the other insurance company, which by the way, is the responsible party. It’s a simple fix that USAA is making very difficult. I have not been treated courteously, compassionately or respectfully. I have requested a change in claim staff and have yet to receive a call from anyone including a quality control department. I just continue to fight alone while being displaced out of my home. I am so very disappointed in USAA.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

We have been members for almost 25 years and we have had major issues with our home and I SAW has denied everything every time. We have water that came in our basement (minimal). They said they will not cover it. We have a leak from our flashing causing our floor hoist to start rotting away. They said they will not cover. Do they cover anything?? We have been loyal but they have never been loyal to us. Their customer service department does not want to help. We were affected by hurricane Micheal and all the nasty representative would say is, "I know. We don't cover that." They are running a awful business and to not look after our Military members is very very upsetting! I think after 25 years it's time to go looking. I would not recommend them to a DOG! BEWARE OF THIS COMPANY. IF YOU FILE A CLAIM 8 TIMES OUT OF 10 THEY DENY IT!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Got my homeowners premium. It went up 12.5%. Last year was also a significant increase. Called them and asked why. They said because of rebuilding cost. They want to insure just my home for more than $60,000 than what new homes sell for in my neighborhood. No good answer from their rep. Goodbye USAA.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

VETERANS BEWARE!!! I wouldn't give them a single star if that was an option. USAA Insurance - Despite the "WE CARE" About our Veterans - like me, present with their commercials we are all flooded with, when it comes time to file a claim in good faith, they will screw you, and basically call you a liar. 2 months ago, we had severe weather tear the roof off of my rental house, and had 2 additional events of rain and wind which destroyed the upper bedroom and all of its contents. I had a local handyman come and remove the destroyed bed, bedding, dresser's, TV, electronics, carpet, etc. and haul it off as it was rain-soaked and filthy as the entire ceiling collapsed onto all of the room.

I contacted USAA the following day regarding the damaged property and went over it all with the rep. over the phone. I was then told that I would hear back. A couple of weeks go by and now I am being asked for receipts and pictures of what I had. Really? Who takes pictures of all the things you may have in every room?

Anyway, I sent several pictures (what I had anyway) along with a detailed list of what it was that was damaged. A couple of weeks go by and I get a call that "they" USAA is willing to send me a check for $2,500.00 and proceeds to tell me what I had. - Magic list that didn't come from me. I paused and asked what about the other items? I was told "based on what I sent" that was all they were "prepared" to cover. I then asked about the pictures I had and the list of items that I sent to their email complaint/claim department. No answer - she had not received it. I resent it all yet again along with pictures that I found that matched what I had - and stated as well.

2 weeks go by and I get a call from an extremely rude and heavy smoker while we talk about what I had. I was asked leading questions about my claim and what I had. I explained that the pictures I had sent and the pictures I sent that "looked exactly like what I had". I was then told that she had found those same pictures on the internet. I replied I don't know exactly where they came from - could have come from my computer, etc, I again repeated that they were pictures of what I had had and lost - NOT the exact pictures from my home.

Then I was told this would have to go to yet another manager. 2 weeks go by and I get another phone call about they had decided to deny my claim as I was lying to them in effect. No answer. I explained again over the phone that the pictures were of an "exact match' (news people call this file) to what I had - NOT the pictures of what I had in my home - merely an accurate example of what was lost. They did not even attempt to talk to the men that removed and hauled off the damaged items. So now I am being told basically that I am lying about what I had - (committing fraudulent claim) and they are denying the entire claim, despite evidence to the contrary. Do not do business with this "Veteran" service - they are no better than the rest of the thieves out there.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

So I currently lost my job and have been displaced from my home in Virginia due to mandatory evacuations brought on by a hurricane. I am also currently going through a divorce and in the position where I have to short sell my house. I've been with USAA for over 9 years now and have my homeowner's insurance through them. Whenever I called to ask if my policy was up to date they started asking me general questions. They asked me if I was currently living at the residence and I told them no because I had evacuated the area. Then they started asking me more in depth questions so I asked what the questions were for. The Representative's demeanor changed and she became very short telling me that the house is now considered vacant and they were underwriting my policy!

She also informed me that my house may not be covered due to damages from the hurricane since it's now considered vacant! I told her I didn't want to answer any more questions and I wanted to talk to her supervisor. Her response was to tell me that everything I had said to her was recorded and she would be sending it in for further review and if necessary they would take legal action against me. Once her supervisor got on the phone and I explained to her that I was an evacuee and exactly what her representative said she started to backpedal immediately and apologized and said I was still fully covered. The whole situation really damaged my faith in the company and even to this point I'm not a hundred percent sure if something were to happen to my home that it would still be covered.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I love USAA. I have all of my insurance through them. Which is why I am so disturbed that they wrote a 17,000.00 3 party check to a roofing company with the wrong mortgage on it and proven that the signature is a fraud. Bank should not have cashed it yet they refuse to take care of the problem.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I have been with USAA for years and love their service. Which is why I am so perplexed with this situation. Bottom line they sent a 17,000.00 three party check to a roofing company. It has been proven that it was made out to the wrong mortgage. The check was forged and they tell me it is my problem. The error is theirs and they won't fix it.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

We've been USAA customers for 30+ years (home insurance, car insurance, banking, credit cards, the works). Had just one 'minor' claim and the most recent claim on a "personal-article-floater" (PAF) policy for my wife's wedding ring. In order to get this add-on insurance, we provided a copy of what I paid for the ring along with an independent appraisal on the ring ($5700 value and they've had this information on file for past 30+ years). I've paid premiums on this $5700 -value since buying the ring.

My wife's ring was stolen a few months ago, she's extremely upset, and I file a claim against this PAF-policy. USAA comes back with telling me that they will only pay $3400.00 for this ring. Or, they will replace the diamond with a $3400.00 diamond (that it sounds like they picked up from Kmart). If I had been paying an added premium for a value of $3400, this would be fine. I've been paying a premium for a $5700-ring, I paid $5700 for the ring (30-years ago), and the insurance should be worth $5700 (or I've been over-charged premiums from inception).

Getting the premiums to be higher than others seems to be a practice. USAA had a value of items inside the home at some $750K (and charged a premium based on this). We don't keep gold in the home and the contents of our home are nowhere near this high. It's apparently a percentage of the home value (which was also way too high). After quite a bit of back/forth, they reduced the home value - which reduced the value of the contents as well. It is still way too high (I can replace the contents of the home for 25% of what USAA has it valued at and is charging a premium on). When I step back and look at the practice being done on the contents and also on this PAF-policy for the ring - they are identical. Charge a higher premium for a value on the property...but have no intentions at all on actually ever paying for this actual value.

Again, if ring was only worth $3400 in USAA's mind/world, the premium should be based on this value. I was paying a premium on a $5700 ring that I actually paid $5700 for (the original receipt on file shows this). It seems that they never had any intention of honoring their side of the deal and I am not sure how anyone can trust this type of bait/switch scheme. For the diamond that they offered to pick up from the local Kmart, 'no thank you'. I spent over a year of time looking for and finding my wife's wedding ring. I'm simply not able to buy into whatever belief that USAA seems to have that this $3400 diamond picked up off the corner store is anywhere close or near the same thing.

In process of canceling/moving everything. Trust in USAA or the policies issued is no longer there - and moving before something truly major happens must be done. They never used to operate this way and a noticeable change is evident in the way business is done now. I never minded paying them more than any other company for insurance - I simply have to 'trust' the insurance company that I deal with. Best of luck to others and I hope you have a better experience with USAA than the one we've had.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Honestly, I thought USAA was the cat's meow. I THOUGHT I was getting a better rate because I'm a vet and their advertising campaign. WRONG. Example-My Homeowners through USAA was $3400 per year. Exactly the same coverage (better actually) from STATE FARM- $1488 per year. USAA seems to hook you when you’re a young veteran, then slowly bends you over until you feel a jab right up the rectum. They make it feel so natural you don’t even know you’re getting ** hard. Getting other quotes I’ve realized we’ve been overpaying for years.

A company that’s supposed to look out for us vets... Hell! USAA is ran by veterans! Just shows corporate greed has no boundaries. USAA doesn’t care that you served. It's the baited hook to get us active duty and vets sucked into their scam. If you’re reading this you’ve been warned. I have the paperwork proving exactly what I've described. I'm a veteran, served 8 years in Air Force. Joined USAA in October of 2000... Haven’t heard a fart since. Lol. Now I know why. See! That sneaky about it. I sincerely hope this helps and saves other people/veterans from overpaying for insurance. Better companies out there. Guarantee It.

Original review: June 25, 2018

We filed a claim with USAA in November of 2017. We were pressured (all within the confines of the law, of course) to use a company that USAA claimed to have vetted and pronounced of the highest quality. The implication was: use the company we have a contract with or expect delays and possibly non-payment if you pick your own. We trusted USAA. They contract with First General, which has to be scraping the bottom of the proverbial barrel. We sent pictures to USAA showing the nails sticking up out of the floor, the deplorable quality of work, the inexcusable delays, etc. Nothing. We called USAA. We had a nice conversation with a representative obviously trained to handle "problem customers" without actually doing anything.

We asked for someone from USAA to come see the condition of our home in person. We were finally put in touch with an adjustor, another contracted employee, who actually lectured us on wasting his time. He refused to come see our home. In fact, to date, USAA has never actually seen our home and refuse to do anything about First General even though they have seen the pictures and videos. We even had to look through the bill from First General and catch where they were charging us for services they never provided. We did the work to get the money back to USAA. USAA has spent more time haggling with First General than actually representing our interests. We certainly have not been indemnified.

USAA claims to know the value of a home they have never seen. USAA did not protect us and doesn't really care that First General left our home in a worse condition than it was before we started. As a retired Army family, we believed USAA was comprised of honorable men and women who understood what it means to serve. In fact, that is their motto; however, I think they'd better change it to something more apropos like: "Screwing Those Who Serve." Please think twice before using USAA for your homeowner's insurance, especially if you are E6 and below!

Original review: June 22, 2018

I had some water damage, I called USAA to check coverage, the agent told me to get a quote first, before I file a claim, since it may be less than my deductible. I did, and it was. I wanted to check rates of other companies since my premiums have gone up year after year. I was told USAA turn me into LEXUS NEXUS, for filing a claim, which I did NOT, regardless other companies won't give you a quote with a claim within a certain time frame. I spoke with a Joe **, about my situation and all he would do was send me an email, stating ZERO was paid on my claim, but again there is a claim!!! The company I switched my car insurance to, was trying to reach him and called 5 days straight and left 5 messages! He is unwilling to remove the Claim report with Lexus Nexus, and I feel I am being held hostage. I will leave USAA as soon as I possibly can, he is arrogant and unwilling to be helpful.

USAA expert review by Matthew Brodsky

USAA was founded in 1922 and serves members of the military and their families. The company offers insurance policies, banking, investment options and other financial services.

• Good pricing: USAA is known to have some of the most competitively priced policies available.

• Additional services: With its home insurance policies, USAA offers identity theft coverage should any homeowners personal belongings be used to steal their identity.

• Variety: USAA offers many types of homeowner insurance, and they are a one-stop insurance option, meaning policyholders can also purchase other types of insurance through the company.

• Service: USAA only provides its services to members of the military and their families, so it’s not a viable option for every American. Americans who haven’t been affiliated with the military do not have access to the company’s services.

• Consumer service: USAA Homeowners Insurance has complaints filed against it, indicating that policyholders are not always happy with the service they have received.

• Best for: Traditional homeowners, condo owners, farm owners, mobile home owners

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky