Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Compare Quotes
USAA Homeowners Insurance
3.83/5

USAA Homeowners Insurance

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military and their families. USAA doesn't currently participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you're a member of the U.S. military in need of insurance, contact InsuraMatch today to see multiple offers that could work for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Compare and Save - Protect Your Home

Compare Quotes

USAA Homeowners Insurance Reviews

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I had hail damage to my house a few years ago. It was only a few months after switching my homeowner's insurance to USAA. They answered the phone promptly, were very professional, and streamlined the process, and paid for the damage. A few of my neighbors had trouble with other insurance companies paying for their damage. I did not. So, if they are a little more expensive than some of the other insurance companies, you get what you pay for. As far as the complaints on this website, if I have a problem with USAA, I will be back on this website with a complaint. Until then, I will remain their customer.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

USAA is great for everything. Care about you and do it right. They provide great customer service and products, and they respond fast and efficiently. They have the best service for the cost than anyone, and never let you down. USAA is fabulous and dependable.

Get expert buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

We really like USAA. They always call in a Natural Disaster. They are caring about their customers and making sure they are safe. They make sure we have all we need and that all claims are taken care of promptly. The price is reasonable and family members can be added at no cost. They have perk, apps, incentives, discounts etc. USAA has apps you can use to manage your account/accounts as well. Highly recommend USAA.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

USAA is competent and flexible. This is the company used by most armed forces personnel when they can get it. They understand what it means to serve, which is their slogan and their way of doing business. They provide the best coverage at a reasonable price. They have the best customer service and are the most helpful when filing a claim and taking care of damages. However, I would change their policy of not covering folks in certain areas because of the state doing stupid stuff.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

USAA is customer friendly and reliable. I have USAA insurance since purchasing my first house way back to the 1970's. The insurance costs a little more but service is outstanding. If you have something happen and call them you can be assured that they will send an adjuster at no time. No waiting for days. On many occasions they will issue you a check at that time. I have always been treated with the upmost courtesy and kindness by USAA. It would be nice however if coverage would be a little cheaper. Nowadays everything is so very expensive sometimes causing families not to carry the required coverage. Still, overall USAA is very convenient and the adjusters are informative and explain everything. You are also provided a computer printout of what was discussed and what the company is paying you for.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: Nov. 7, 2019

After being a USAA customer for over 30 years, we are still waiting for USAA to resolve a water damage claim with us that happened over four months ago. They have consistently taken ridiculous, unsupported positions that are contrary to even what their own adjuster recommended. They claimed this person was an independent (unbiased) adjuster, simply because he is an independent contractor rather than an employee, even though he was hired by them and they refused to share his findings with us since they were handpicking which ones they wanted to follow.

They closed our file without our permission, claiming we said we weren’t pursuing a claim. It takes days and even weeks to get a return call to the number where we said we could be reached, then when we do connect, they move the bar again, refusing to accept information they told us in the prior call would take care of the issue. Without our agreement, they initially sent us a check for $7,000 for over $30,000 of damages.

After over four months of wrangling when we could actually connect, about thirty phone calls and countless emails, we now are less than $2,000 apart between our legitimate bids (we provided and are asking them to honor the lower one) and the mystery system they use to compute what they say they owe. (Of course, they’ve been saying that all along, as they finally have to concede one item at a time because they cannot support their position.).

The adjuster we have dealt with is rude, illogical, dismissive and doesn’t follow through with what she says. She makes threats and statements that aren’t supported by law, from what I know. We have tried reaching her supervisor, who likewise is extremely difficult to reach. Meanwhile, we have three kids living on concrete floors (the carpet was ripped out the day after the water pipe broke), stepping on nails on exposed carpet strips. After paying this company roughly $150,000 overhead years, they can’t even be bothered to talk to us or our contractor to try to resolve the last issue so we can get the work underway.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

Seems like customer service has really gone downhill. It used to be when you called USAA you would get a polite and helpful representative. Now it's automated, but that's not my real problem with them. Last night we had high winds and a large tree blew on the roof of my house. I promptly filed a claim with them online and waited several hours for them to contact me. I finally had to call and was told it normally take two days for them to get back with claims. Well with pending weather and not knowing the extent of damage, two days is unacceptable. I just needed answers on what I should do. I wouldn't recommend USAA.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

My auto and home policies were canceled because of a 3rd person audit of my home implemented by USAA. I told them accurate details after the inspection results were disclosed to me. The roof type was wrong and the square footage of my home was wrong. They still stood by the 3rd party audit, billed me (for which I never received a bill because I escrow the account), and canceled my policy as a result. This domino effect increased my premium 200% and demanded I pay in full to reinstate the account. Thomas offered that in the event of a disaster an adjuster wouldn't even care about the inaccuracies rather go by what is there. Camille offered she didn't care to right the wrongs in the policy. The set of moral rules that govern how a business operates or rights wrong doing is far off with USAA.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

I returned to my home after evacuating for Hurricane Florence and discovered substantial mold damage to items throughout my house. I immediately called the property manager, as well as USAA to file a claim. I submitted all required documentation and photos to appease USAA. I was never sent an adjuster or an investigator. My damage was caused due to the wind blowing open a vent, allowing water and excess moisture to enter the home and cause mold. This was explained to me as well as to USAA by my maintenance.

After a month dealing with delays of communication, various messages through both phone and the app, I received a call from my case manager who tried to explain to me why my claim would not be covered. I was upset. I felt like I had been dismissed and not listened to. I asked to speak with a manager. At that time the "manager" came on line and immediately had a defensive attitude. He was dismissive of my concerns and refused to listen to my explanation of what was not making sense. I was angry, yet civil.

We did not reach an agreement that day and I was told that was it. I decided to submit a message through the app requesting the opportunity to have my case reviewed by an appeals department rep. I received a message from the same dismissive "manager" saying that he had reviewed it. I told him, to please put me in contact with a supervisor who was unbiased and who hadn't got his feelings hurt. The next day I received a call from the same guy. He wanted to tell me that he hadn't had his feelings hurt, and to him it sounded like it was me who had their feelings hurt.

This so called manager then explained to me that I would get a lot further in life if I talked to people nicer. I never asked to be contacted by this man, I dont need someone representing USAA to call me and rub in the fact that my claim would not be settled, and I absolutely despise the fact that the manager wanted to call me to just upset me. There was no other reason to call. I still have not heard from a supervisor, my case has yet to be reviewed, and I don't have any resolution. This is not customer service, its harassment and a severe lack of professionalism.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

I've been a customer with USAA for over 40 years, dutifully paying my premiums for home and auto coverage. Sadly, when I need them this year for auto (my fault) and home (hail damage - not my fault), both times I came away feeling they lost their sense of customer service and their purpose. Which is to care for their paying customers. In both cases, they have built barriers around their service teams to force you to deal directly with their claims adjusters - who have ZERO customer service skills.

The adjuster's job is to reduce payment and USAA is putting lousy customer service adjusters in front of their own team. I had a home claim 6 years and USAA service team were great. Something has changed. So much that I will start looking for a lower cost insurance company. Because their claims service cannot be worse than what I've had to go through with USAA.

USAA expert review by Matthew Brodsky

USAA was founded in 1922 and serves members of the military and their families. The company offers insurance policies, banking, investment options and other financial services.

• Good pricing: USAA is known to have some of the most competitively priced policies available.

• Additional services: With its home insurance policies, USAA offers identity theft coverage should any homeowners personal belongings be used to steal their identity.

• Variety: USAA offers many types of homeowner insurance, and they are a one-stop insurance option, meaning policyholders can also purchase other types of insurance through the company.

• Service: USAA only provides its services to members of the military and their families, so it’s not a viable option for every American. Americans who haven’t been affiliated with the military do not have access to the company’s services.

• Consumer service: USAA Homeowners Insurance has complaints filed against it, indicating that policyholders are not always happy with the service they have received.

• Best for: Traditional homeowners, condo owners, farm owners, mobile home owners

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky