Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Compare Quotes

USAA Homeowners Insurance

USAA Homeowners Insurance
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.45/5

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military and their families. USAA doesn't currently participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you're a member of the U.S. military in need of insurance, contact InsuraMatch today to see multiple offers that could work for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Compare and Save - Protect Your Home

Compare Quotes

USAA Homeowners Insurance Reviews

Original review: Feb. 22, 2020

USAA DOES NOT HELP MILITARY LIKE THEY STATE THAT THEY DO IN THEIR COMMERCIALS!! PLEASE READ THIS AND REPOST!! This home insurance burglary claim started on 2.26.19. A few weeks after filing my uninsured motorist claim for being hit by an unlicensed, and uninsured non-U.S. citizen with only a passport for identification; my enclosed motorcycle trailer was stolen; which was full of tools & camping equipment.

I submitted a burglary claim since it was stolen from my driveway, and I am still fighting for reimbursement & coverage. USAA came back and said, well we have a small, tiny, minuscule clause in my home owners insurance policy which limits their coverage of ANY trailer to $1,500.00; although on the report that I received from them, which listed all the items that I submitted for reimbursement on, they DID acknowledge that the replacement value of my trailer was $6,300.00. SO THEY LITERALLY DEFRAUDED ME OF $4,800.00, AND I CANNOT REPLACE MY ENCLOSED TRAILER. Not only did they ALSO reduce the reimbursement prices for each individual item for “depreciation”, but they ALSO reduced a percentage of the remaining post-depreciation prices by a percentage until each item was repurchased; at which point you have to send in a receipt showing the repurchase of the item for full reimbursement.

After paying my $2,000.00 deductible, they still REFUSE TO COVER my enclosed trailer fully, after almost a year of fighting with them!! I have called and pleaded with them, informing them that I am still searching for a job, and am a 100% service-connected, permanent & total rated, disabled USMC Veteran; and am on a very limited income; and therefore have not been able to fully replace everything that was stolen, since I have only been reimbursed approximately 2/3 of the value of all the items, because I had to pay the $2,000.00 deductible out of my minuscule “reimbursement” amount.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

We had an attempted break-in on the 19 Jan 2020. Property claim-adjuster did not come for another 4 day. Gave a lowball estimate. The estimate for the damaged car was done efficiently. With windows and door claims, USAA is slow. Did our own research, found the estimate from company USAA had sent, too low. Provided our own estimates to USAA. It took 5 days just to get the windows boarded up which were breached and damaged. This should have been done the next day after the incident. USAAs advertising is great. I was told by friends they had been ok in the past, but how much longer will it take to get our damage repaired? Still sitting among chaos ...

Get expert buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

The people above me had their hot water heater leak and flooded my laundry room. They have USAA homeowners insurance. The adjuster does not return phone calls and when she finally answered the phone she was rude. She told me to use my own homeowners insurance. It has been 3 weeks since the flooding was found and USAA hasn't done anything. I was told by two separate sources that they are known for dragging their feet until you use your own insurance.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

Be careful calling into main number if you're buying an expensive home. They will walk you variation of questions and if you're close to 1.2 million will move you to another division. The replacement cost first came back at $1,260,000 which was much higher than were paying for it, but when they moved me to different division their number came back at $2,075,000! We paying 1.1! They will give you garbage about replacement cost in your area, etc. Several builders told me their replacement cost was closer to what we're paying for the home. Not sure what's up with their software but go to Jake at State Farm for expensive homeowners insurance and keep your auto at USAA.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2020

The glass panel in my front door cracked into hundreds of pieces. I contacted USAA, who continuously receive dollars from me for home insurance, and they turned me down. They said the condo association insurance should cover that. The condo association said, and it is in writing, that they do not cover doors and windows. Now I am considering selling my home, but each time I look at that door, held together with sticky vinyl tape, I am reminded how disturbed I am by the way I was treated by this company. If you are considering USAA for your home insurance needs, DON'T! RUN!! GO!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

We have been a customer at USAA for years. The reason we decided to go with USAA is because of their TV commercials. You know the ones “Proudly serving the military” blah blah blah. Well, unfortunately we have learned the hard way that it is a scam. After hurricane Michael, our home has had severe damage due to high winds. Roof leaking water inside the house and damaging sheetrock. Well, long story short. We call USAA and they sent a local building inspector. The inspector said the damage was “preexisting.” Yea right. So I call USAA back and requested that they send someone else to inspect the house. A couple of weeks later they sent a forensics engineer to the house. About a week later we received his findings in the mail stating that North Florida and South Georgia only received 39 miles an hour winds.

Well as we all know it was a hurricane 4 when it hit land fall. USAA told us if we wanted to rebuttal then we will need to provide our own engineer which will cost us $1500. The funny thing about the whole thing is that our neighbors two blocks way who are also USAA customers received a new roof on their house. I guess they pick and choose whom they want to help. Word of advice, DON’T DO IT! They do not take care of the military soldiers or their families.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

USAA IS A TRUE LOSE - LOSE! I have had USAA for my auto and home insurance, they were fine until something happened where you need insurance. I recently had damage to a single area of a retaining wall on the exterior of my house due to a severe storm that shut down multiple roads and highways in the area. I looked for USAA to help cover the damage, I even went so far to send pictures that day and facilitate a discussion between the insurance adjuster and a contractor who inspected the damage. Against the advice of the contractor USAA denied coverage to my claim costing me thousands of dollars to fix the damage. They cited vague language about the weight of water (there was no water pooling or sitting on the wall, it had just rained as part of the severe storm) or wear and tear (Only a single portion of the wall was damaged. The rest remains intact and strong.).

When I again voiced my concerns in writing they cited the same vague language and talked over me when I asked for further clarification as to how that applies. Ultimately the decision was made by a manager in Texas that has never seen my home, the wall in New Jersey. Both myself and the contractor found USAA rude and difficult to work with. They sell you on paying a premium for insurance but they offer no better coverage than the discount agencies... DO NOT USE THEM, if you want comprehensive and reliable coverage as well as people that work with you and care about you go elsewhere, if you want cheap basic coverage you can certainly get it cheaper from a different company.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

Member since 1974. In 1996 we insured home for about $90,000. By 2015 we noticed coverage had crept to about $170,000. Told them to stop. They agreed but did not. Filed Arkansas Insurance Department complaint. USAA stopped for perhaps two years then started increasing coverage again. We did not catch it because of automatic electronic renewals and payments. Now close to $200,000 and they planned to renew at $201,000. USAA is about to find out they should have kept to our agreement.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2019

I have been a member for more than 20 years and been happy with the overall service for everything including a claim many years ago. This time was horrible in how I was treated, responsiveness of the reps, their apparent lack of process knowledge, and then my assigned rep hung up on me because I was questioning the situation. I called back and I was not able to directly speak to a manager and my simple request to contact me via my cell was routinely followed with a call to the home phone message machine. I am considering other options.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

I used to brag about how great USAA was to us. The past 4 years I have not recommended anyone use USAA. These days it's simple to find anyone to beat USAA's financing rates. Most recently after being with USAA for 13 years and having a home insured through them as well we filed our first claims in those 13 years. USAA finally paid out about $5K for repairs on our first home after what felt like pulling teeth! First they didn't want to pay out a dime! What the hell do I have insurance for? Now after paying out for once, they want to drop coverage on our home... This is insane. We bank with USAA, insure EVERYTHING with USAA, but now we will be moving on to another provider for every product. If you are reading this know that they are not what they used to be. It used to feel like being a veteran and having USAA was a perk, now they are just another money grubbing company.

USAA expert review by Matthew Brodsky

USAA was founded in 1922 and serves members of the military and their families. The company offers insurance policies, banking, investment options and other financial services.

• Good pricing: USAA is known to have some of the most competitively priced policies available.

• Additional services: With its home insurance policies, USAA offers identity theft coverage should any homeowners personal belongings be used to steal their identity.

• Variety: USAA offers many types of homeowner insurance, and they are a one-stop insurance option, meaning policyholders can also purchase other types of insurance through the company.

• Service: USAA only provides its services to members of the military and their families, so it’s not a viable option for every American. Americans who haven’t been affiliated with the military do not have access to the company’s services.

• Consumer service: USAA Homeowners Insurance has complaints filed against it, indicating that policyholders are not always happy with the service they have received.

• Best for: Traditional homeowners, condo owners, farm owners, mobile home owners

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor