USAA Homeowners Insurance

USAA Homeowners Insurance
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.23/5

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military and their families. USAA doesn't currently participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you're a member of the U.S. military in need of insurance, contact InsuraMatch today to see multiple offers that could work for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

USAA Homeowners Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA Homeowners Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: June 22, 2020

First they sell your mortgage to Nationstar. Somehow nationstar is worse than USAA. Nationstar has repeatedly taken money out of my account not put it back and not used it for my mortgage payment. Furthermore they send me letters with late fees and call me telling me I haven't made my payments.

Original review: June 16, 2020

I have been a USAA member for 17 years. My parents have been members for over 50 years. We have been very please with USAA insurance products and service until about 5 years ago when the service started going downhill and the pricing went uphill. The final straw for us is when we had a mysterious charge of $1009 show up on our homeowner's insurance bill. I called to inquire and they did not know. I spent nearly an hour on hold going from department to department until finally someone said it was old balance from 6 years ago on an auto insurance policy. (We changed from USAA to another insurer at that time. Saved about 40% changing). We had no idea that this balance was outstanding.

I asked if we could set up payment plan, and they said no. I then informed them that I could not pay it now due to the fact that wife was not working due to COVID. I then informed them that we would send our regular home insurance premium, but we could not pay the outstanding fee (which they could not provide a detailed accounting of why we owed it). I paid my premium only. We then receive a notice in the mail that they are cancelling our home insurance the following day if we don't pay the entire balance now. Apparently they put our policy premium payment towards the mysterious outstanding $1009 dollars we owed, and did not credit it instead to our policy premium. They told us that in their notes from our last phone call they informed us that any payments would towards our outstanding mystery debt first. I asked them to please pull up the voice recording of the call and that they would see this to not be the case.

Well, we are still waiting for the phone call back from them. However we could not risk not having home insurance, so we called around for other quotes. We received a lower premium, with lower deductibles for the exact same policy coverage. We are officially USAA free. We went from using USAA for banking, auto insurance, and homeowner insurance to now not using them for anything due to their high pricing and poor customer service. If you have been a USAA member for a long time, please shop around. You will quickly find out that USAA is overpriced. Sometimes paying a little more for better service is warranted. However it is no longer the case with USAA. I have recommended that my parents and siblings also shop around.

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 9, 2020

I have been with USAA for 21 years, and until 2 months ago, I have always raved about their service, customer service, rates, and how they genuinely take care of their members. I had to file a water damage claim 2 months ago for a dishwasher that leaked. I called USAA and I got a mitigation company to come out, tear everything up, and dry everything out. This part of the claim was paid to the company at without issue.

Then I am told to contact a general contractor to get an estimate for the repair and/or replacement of everything that was damaged. I do as they ask, get the estimate and send it in, and it’s not good enough as they want more details, down to the cost of every last screw that will be used. So, my contractor comes back out and gets more details for them, and it’s still not good enough. My guess is they didn’t like the amount of the estimate. At this point they decide to send out an “independent adjuster” that they basically hire to do an estimate. He completes this and I am told he puts his measurements and the quality of materials into a USAA software program, and it’s supposed to spit out what materials cost in my area. Needless to say that estimate came back at 30% of what the contractor that will actually be doing the works is at. He missed around 60% of the items that need to be replaced or repaired.

They again, tell me that if my contractor can send them an itemized list of materials that can justify the cost that they would pay the difference. So, my contractor spends 12 hours putting together what they are asking for and send it in. I get a call from USAA saying that the amount is still more than 50% of their estimate, and that they need to send another “independent” adjuster out for a 2nd look. That was 5 days ago, and I haven’t heard from anyone. I can’t get a hold of my adjuster, they aren’t answering messages on their app, and I have called the Claims Manager 4 times and he won’t call me back.

My wife, 2 kids, and I have been sitting in a house with no kitchen at all. No sink, no dishwasher, no oven, no countertops...nothing for 2 months with no end in sight. We have to take dirty dishes to friends or family members house to wash them. Nobody from USAA even cares or has any sense of urgency to help us at this point. I was also told by my previous adjuster that it appears I am trying to get upgrades to my house by the price difference!!! The issue is your software program you have is from the 1950’s as far as prices for materials, and the “independent” adjusters you pay to screw your customers over are inadequate at best.

Original review: May 6, 2020

I have been insured by USAA for several years for my home and autos. I also work in the water damage restoration industry, so I deal with adjusters and carriers every day. We are a full service company, so we will do the dry out and the repairs. In the last six months we have seen a trend where USAA will not pay for a quality job on repairs.

We currently have four customers filing complaints with the state insurance commissioner for USAA violating the Consumer Protection act. USAA uses a program called Xactimate that has the "average" costs for an area built into it. USAA will not allow or pay for any contractors cost that is above this program. We have seen price differences of $2000.00 to $10,000.00 between what USAA says they will pay for and what a general contractor says it will take to do the job correctly. Four of our customers now have their homes in disrepairs because USAA refuses to pay. I used to refer people to USAA because of how well they took care of their customers, no longer is this the case and I will be moving all my insurance needs to another company.

Original review: April 30, 2020

I used USAA for banking, auto insurance, and renters/homeowners for nearly two decades. I trusted them with everything and should have shopped around. 8 years ago I bought my home and called USAA to add homeowners to my policy. We went over home characteristics and they told me it would be around $2000 a year. I refinanced my house recently and was asked why my premium was so high. I didn’t know it was. I called USAA and we figured out my home characteristics were way off. They made an immediate change and said they would go back as far as they could to refund some of my money.

Weeks later I received an email stating they’re not refunding anything and I should have caught it sooner. I immediately moved all my insurance to Geico and all policies had much lower premiums. I moved all my money to a local credit union with better interest rates. I also refinanced a car and motorcycle at much lower interest rates. If you have been with USAA for a long time you will find your rates are all higher in their favor than you can get anywhere else. I will never even contemplate using them again.

Original review: April 28, 2020

I've been a USAA banking and insurance customer for 8 years and have always appreciated their customer service - though I am a pretty low maintenance customer. I recently filed my first claim for flood damage from renter's insurance. My representative explained the process to me, and it was fairly simple. I accounted for the damage to my belongings and I tried to be reasonable in my evaluation of the replacement cost. However, I also knew that my USAA adjuster could have argued that some of my my goods were salvageable or repairable at a lower cost than replacement. I expected a little less than I asked for, but I wasn't sure how much less.

Imagine my surprise when my agent promptly called me back (the day after I filed the claim) and replied that my valuation was too low, and they were going to pay me nearly double what I had requested. I am extremely impressed with the honesty and customer service of USAA. I've tried to beat their prices with some online comparison tools and I never could. From my experience, their low price tag comes with a high value.

Original review: April 21, 2020

Members BEWARE, I was bamboozled in using USAA's preferred contractor for my homeowner's insurance claim. Because I was told by my USAA adjuster, the benefit to using a USAA Preferred contractor is that they have had background checks done, provide a year warranty, and that USAA will stand behind these contractors and service.

In my case, that was all nothing but smoke & mirrors, they provided me with a contractor, Guarantee Restoration located Baton Rouge, Louisiana that has been proven incompetent from start (but nothing was finish). Their workmanship was poor, they damaged personal property, very poor-to-no communication, unreturned telephone calls/emails/text messages, they no-shows, nor follow-up on anything. There have been more than one instances where they just stopped work without reason or communication, sometimes a month or more at a time.

To date, Guarantee Restoration located in Baton Rouge, Louisiana left my home completely gutted and unfinished (no cabinets, toilets, nor floor) because this contractor recently won a State of Louisiana bid to clean office building during COVID19. A job that paid more money. And all the hardships my family, my pets, and I have had to endure due their mistakes and negligence. USAA ends their messages saying, "Thank you for trusting USAA." How could one possibly trust USAA anymore? USAA has been solid for us in the past, but they suckered me in to believing this was a worthy contractor despite our repeated requests for help. The length of this ordeal has dragged out for six months now and trust me when I say there is no urgency to be found from anyone with either USAA nor its preferred contractor, Guarantee Restoration located Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

Original review: March 11, 2020

I have been with USAA 35 YEARS. I filed a claim for a sewage back up. They refused to pay my claim. I ask speak with a manager several times to no avail. I called Jonathan ** numerous timeS. He left me one message that wasn't clear. I could not hear all of what he was saying. I left him a message to please email me the content of his broken and distorted telephone message which he has not done. It appears that Mr. ** is trying to find every possible loophole he can find not to pay my claim very disappointing.

Original review: March 9, 2020

I have been a loyal customer of USAA for more than four years. My husband and I made a claim on our roof due to some bad storms that have come through the area this past year. USAA wants to replace half the roof because the adjuster said the back half of the roof is still in good condition. Who would replace only half a roof on a home when you could you can just repair the whole thing? USAA claims to look out for our veterans, but we feel that we have been unfairly treated. We are looking to take our business elsewhere. Shame on you USAA!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2020

USAA DOES NOT HELP MILITARY LIKE THEY STATE THAT THEY DO IN THEIR COMMERCIALS!! PLEASE READ THIS AND REPOST!! This home insurance burglary claim started on 2.26.19. A few weeks after filing my uninsured motorist claim for being hit by an unlicensed, and uninsured non-U.S. citizen with only a passport for identification; my enclosed motorcycle trailer was stolen; which was full of tools & camping equipment.

I submitted a burglary claim since it was stolen from my driveway, and I am still fighting for reimbursement & coverage. USAA came back and said, well we have a small, tiny, minuscule clause in my home owners insurance policy which limits their coverage of ANY trailer to $1,500.00; although on the report that I received from them, which listed all the items that I submitted for reimbursement on, they DID acknowledge that the replacement value of my trailer was $6,300.00. SO THEY LITERALLY DEFRAUDED ME OF $4,800.00, AND I CANNOT REPLACE MY ENCLOSED TRAILER. Not only did they ALSO reduce the reimbursement prices for each individual item for “depreciation”, but they ALSO reduced a percentage of the remaining post-depreciation prices by a percentage until each item was repurchased; at which point you have to send in a receipt showing the repurchase of the item for full reimbursement.

After paying my $2,000.00 deductible, they still REFUSE TO COVER my enclosed trailer fully, after almost a year of fighting with them!! I have called and pleaded with them, informing them that I am still searching for a job, and am a 100% service-connected, permanent & total rated, disabled USMC Veteran; and am on a very limited income; and therefore have not been able to fully replace everything that was stolen, since I have only been reimbursed approximately 2/3 of the value of all the items, because I had to pay the $2,000.00 deductible out of my minuscule “reimbursement” amount.

USAA author review by Matthew Brodsky

This company provides homeowners insurance to members of the military, veterans and their families. It is the fourth-largest homeowners insurance provider in the United States, and it has the highest financial strength rating possible from AM Best, A++. The company is well known for its excellent customer service, as well.

• Cost: An average annual premium from USAA is about $2,000. Modest homes trend closer to $1,700, while more expensive homes might see premiums of $2,700 or more.

• Plans and coverage: USAA’s standard plan covers dwelling replacement costs, personal property, loss of use, personal liability and medical payments. Deductibles are customizable.

• Discounts: USAA provides discounts for bundling, home protection devices, loyalty, impact-resistant roofs, new homes and timely payments.

• Availability: This company writes policies in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. However, it only offers its services to military members, veterans and their families.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor