USAA Homeowners Insurance

USAA Homeowners Insurance
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.60/5

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military and their families.

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

USAA Homeowners Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA Homeowners Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: Sept. 11, 2020

USAA has been first rate. Recently, we had our hot water heater blow up and pretty much mess up our entire basement. Once we called USAA, they got right on the case. They had clean started within 24 hours; assessed the damages and provided a first rate recovery company. And, they were very easy to deal with. We love the everything about them.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2020

USAA is a reliable insurance company that does what it says it will and provides great Customer service. I have been a customer for 45 years. When I have had a claim, they handled it quickly and professionally and it was resolved to my satisfaction. I will be a USAA customer for life.

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

I have used several companies over the years, but USAA stands out for me. Rates are fair and customer service is easy to work with. My only concern is, they have minimums on house content coverage which I would prefer if I could determine on my own. Finally, I made a claim a few years ago when we had a break in, they handled it quickly and without issues which helped us weather the hardship.

Original review: July 23, 2020

Starting with my stepfather, our family has been protected by USAA for over 30 years. We are consistently getting dividends every year, whether we filed a claim or not. When my mom's roof suffered unseen damage due to high winds, they were there to get us the money we needed to replace the roof and the subsequent water damage.

Original review: April 28, 2020

I've been a USAA banking and insurance customer for 8 years and have always appreciated their customer service - though I am a pretty low maintenance customer. I recently filed my first claim for flood damage from renter's insurance. My representative explained the process to me, and it was fairly simple. I accounted for the damage to my belongings and I tried to be reasonable in my evaluation of the replacement cost. However, I also knew that my USAA adjuster could have argued that some of my my goods were salvageable or repairable at a lower cost than replacement. I expected a little less than I asked for, but I wasn't sure how much less.

Imagine my surprise when my agent promptly called me back (the day after I filed the claim) and replied that my valuation was too low, and they were going to pay me nearly double what I had requested. I am extremely impressed with the honesty and customer service of USAA. I've tried to beat their prices with some online comparison tools and I never could. From my experience, their low price tag comes with a high value.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

USAA is very easy to set up. They have optional payment plans, which makes it easy for my budget. And, while lowering my overall cost (for home + cars), they gave me more coverage on my homeowners policy. Very friendly people.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2020

I have never had a problem with a claim with USAA. They have only their own employees. They don't hire a third party, like Liberty Mutual does, who don't care about you because they're not who your policy is with. And they have huge discounts for bundling bank accts and insurance accts.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2020

Having been with USAA for over 40 years I expect fair treatment. Recent experiences have made me wonder who they're interested in serving. My son's car was hit while parked, but they've claimed it was his fault and increased his premiums. I have a home up north but staying with a friend in Florida. USAA tried to increase my premium to a landlord/rental policy even though it isn't being rented. Why are we being treated like distrusted strangers after 40 yrs of on time payments and no at fault accidents?

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

In May of 2017 we bought our house, in late June, we weekended in San Diego. Came home early Monday morning, to 1890 sq ft of our home was 5" deep in water, as the line busted, actually blasting a hole through the vanity, then ceiling, which caused one side of the entire bath, and bedroom wall. Immediately called USAA, they told me to call a flood company, we went to a hotel for 3 months, while work was done to repair it. We stacked, as best we could, all of our furniture and possessions into the part of the house that didn't get soaked. USAA always paid the hotels (Twas coverage we'd already paid for,) and we'd be in our own home again. USAA's preferred contractor was out here for 2 days, sometimes there were 3 of them assessing the damages, but their outside claim's adjuster, was always way out of line, on the 20% to the lowest they'd pay, and no one here wants to argue with USAA on the costs to repair.

Then, to top things off, USAA paid me to install flooring, in August, I had it installed in late September, then in early October, almost 3000 sq feet of flooring, in ALL the flooded areas, had to be taken up, because we didn't remove the subfloor. We had installed "Premium" flooring, that USAA said right off, tough **, "You chose to pay over and above what we allotted, so, if we pay at all AGAIN, it will be for the old flooring price."

Wait a minute, I demanded? USAA is supposed to be THE expert, neither me or Kathy (My wife,) were never in a flood, never knew anybody who'd been flooded, so how in the world, would we ever imagine all this happening? "Did we know what happens later," I exclaimed? We are $69,000 out of pocket, and the house is still a wreck! Oh yeah, the icing on the cake was when they cancelled me, 980 feet of it is modular, 1,901 approved, site built. They don't insure anything modular. Before we purchased their insurance, they had a dad gummed home inspector out here! Their car insurance claims are pretty good. I believe this all stems from their hiring outside adjusters.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2020

I have never had to use mine, but expect them to be easy to work with. I use them for car insurance and they have been easy to work with. They are easy to get in touch with, easy to talk to and ask all the correct questions.

USAA author review by Matthew Brodsky

This company provides homeowners insurance to members of the military, veterans and their families. It is the fourth-largest homeowners insurance provider in the United States, and it has the highest financial strength rating possible from AM Best, A++. The company is well known for its excellent customer service, as well.

• Cost: An average annual premium from USAA is about $2,000. Modest homes trend closer to $1,700, while more expensive homes might see premiums of $2,700 or more.

• Plans and coverage: USAA’s standard plan covers dwelling replacement costs, personal property, loss of use, personal liability and medical payments. Deductibles are customizable.

• Discounts: USAA provides discounts for bundling, home protection devices, loyalty, impact-resistant roofs, new homes and timely payments.

• Availability: This company writes policies in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. However, it only offers its services to military members, veterans and their families.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor