Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.95/5

USAA sells auto and property coverage to members of the U.S. military. The company has homeowners insurance policies for all active and retired military personnel and their immediate family members. It offers several coverage and discount options for eligible households. You can get free USAA insurance quotes online.

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Quotewizard

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Quotewizard

Get started

USAA Homeowners Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA Homeowners Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA Homeowners Insurance?

Original review: Sept. 11, 2020

USAA has been first rate. Recently, we had our hot water heater blow up and pretty much mess up our entire basement. Once we called USAA, they got right on the case. They had clean started within 24 hours; assessed the damages and provided a first rate recovery company. And, they were very easy to deal with. We love the everything about them.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2020

USAA is a reliable insurance company that does what it says it will and provides great Customer service. I have been a customer for 45 years. When I have had a claim, they handled it quickly and professionally and it was resolved to my satisfaction. I will be a USAA customer for life.

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

I have used several companies over the years, but USAA stands out for me. Rates are fair and customer service is easy to work with. My only concern is, they have minimums on house content coverage which I would prefer if I could determine on my own. Finally, I made a claim a few years ago when we had a break in, they handled it quickly and without issues which helped us weather the hardship.

Original review: July 23, 2020

Starting with my stepfather, our family has been protected by USAA for over 30 years. We are consistently getting dividends every year, whether we filed a claim or not. When my mom's roof suffered unseen damage due to high winds, they were there to get us the money we needed to replace the roof and the subsequent water damage.

Original review: April 28, 2020

I've been a USAA banking and insurance customer for 8 years and have always appreciated their customer service - though I am a pretty low maintenance customer. I recently filed my first claim for flood damage from renter's insurance. My representative explained the process to me, and it was fairly simple. I accounted for the damage to my belongings and I tried to be reasonable in my evaluation of the replacement cost. However, I also knew that my USAA adjuster could have argued that some of my my goods were salvageable or repairable at a lower cost than replacement. I expected a little less than I asked for, but I wasn't sure how much less.

Imagine my surprise when my agent promptly called me back (the day after I filed the claim) and replied that my valuation was too low, and they were going to pay me nearly double what I had requested. I am extremely impressed with the honesty and customer service of USAA. I've tried to beat their prices with some online comparison tools and I never could. From my experience, their low price tag comes with a high value.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2020

USAA use to be great! However, since this pandemic it seems like their service and professionalism has went downhill. For the last month, I have had to deal with an indignant field adjuster and another that seemed great at first. However, he has been untrustworthy as well. I just want my home repaired and USAA just want to spend as little as possible, band-aid repairs, and ignore other aspects of the home. It has been very disheartening and frustrating dealing with them.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2020

I have been a faithful member of USAA for 32 years. I have spent tens of thousands of dollars getting my two houses and two cars covered. I have never missed a payment or been late on a payment. I mailed in my payment on 11/2. On 11/8 I received an email saying my payment has not been posted. On 11/9 I received a text message stating that policy cancellations were starting and my policy is being canceled. I called USAA six times and talked to six different agents to explain to them that I had mailed the payment and that perhaps the mail was delayed due to the ballot counting and that the USAA needs to email me or text me that my policy was not been canceled.

I got the same runaround from all six of them. They didn't have a "standard form" to meet that request. "Too bad. That's business". "Go ahead and pay over the phone and cancel your payment". Who's going to pay the $30.00 my bank charges me to cancel a check? I am going to have to change insurance carriers because of their horrible Customer Service. They don't have any customer loyalty to me so why should I have any loyalty to them. Absolutely horrible experience. Horrible people and horrible business practice.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

I have used USAA to insure my home since 2010. They wanted me to insure my home for more than $100,000 over replacement cost. Even though I argued against this, they assured me that they would provide outstanding coverage because I did not know the cost to replace. OK. In 2014, Arlington, TX had a very bad storm with 90 mph winds that blew off the roof of a building 200 feet away from my home. I called in a claim. The adjuster they hired, arrived at my home by limping out of his truck, getting on his ladder and peering at my roof. Even though I had damage to my patio furniture and roof, he said I had very little damage -- so little damage, he would not write up an estimate because there was no hail damage. I told him I reported WIND damage.

USAA sent me an email stating that my hail damage was less than my $2,000 deductible. So, in April 2020, we had a hail storm, and my neighbor next door and 3 houses away filed hail damage claims, and had their State Farm Insurance roofs replaced within the last month (Sept 2020). I filed a HAIL claim. A person, using his wife's personal phone, called me and stated he was assigned as my USAA adjuster and would be out to examine my roof. The "adjuster" called me on 10/13/2020 to say he was on his way, I gave him my gate code and told him I would unlock my back gate to let him have access to the back of my yard. He told me he would decide where he will examine my home/roof. I explained that I had a roofer in mind, the "adjuster" told me he did not want anyone getting in his way.

Today, 10/15/2020, I received an email from USAA that my homeowner's claim was under my deductible. Don't be fooled with USAA scaring you into paying insurance premiums of more than $100,000 more coverage for YEARS than you need to because they provide "excellent coverage/claims". I am reporting them to the State Board of Insurance for unfair claims practices. Hey, hire people that are professionals; people that have a professional business phone -- not their wife's personal phone!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2020

My neighborhood sustained a hail damage on March 17, 2019. Almost immediately the entire neighborhood had their roof replaced by their individual insurance company. USAA in whom I’ve been a member since 1978 has refused to cover for the roof replacement. It’s been over a year now and the house has started to leak and USAA continues to deny my claim. Everyone of my neighbors have their roof replaced and paid for by their insurance company. PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM USAA. They were good company before but not anymore. Their price is high and it keeps getting higher.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

I am a retired Vet and purchased USAA insurance for my home. After 7 hail storms and 2 tornados USAA refuses to replace my roof. I now have no home insurance because no company will cover me until the roof is fixed. USAA is not the same company they use to be. My roof leaks and is destroyed and all my neighbors received new roofs but not me. Stay away from USAA.

USAA Homeowners Insurance author review by Matthew Brodsky

This company provides homeowners insurance to members of the military, veterans and their families. It is the fourth-largest homeowners insurance provider in the United States, and it has the highest financial strength rating possible from AM Best, A++. The company is well known for its excellent customer service, as well.

• Cost: An average annual premium from USAA is about $2,000. Modest homes trend closer to $1,700, while more expensive homes might see premiums of $2,700 or more.

• Plans and coverage: USAA’s standard plan covers dwelling replacement costs, personal property, loss of use, personal liability and medical payments. Deductibles are customizable.

• Discounts: USAA provides discounts for bundling, home protection devices, loyalty, impact-resistant roofs, new homes and timely payments.

• Availability: This company writes policies in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. However, it only offers its services to military members, veterans and their families.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor