3.01/5
Based on 41 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

USAA Homeowners Insurance

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military and their families. USAA doesn't currently participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you're a member of the U.S. military in need of insurance, contact InsuraMatch today to see multiple offers that could work for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

230 USAA Homeowners Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 25, 2018

We filed a claim with USAA in November of 2017. We were pressured (all within the confines of the law, of course) to use a company that USAA claimed to have vetted and pronounced of the highest quality. The implication was: use the company we have a contract with or expect delays and possibly non-payment if you pick your own. We trusted USAA. They contract with First General, which has to be scraping the bottom of the proverbial barrel. We sent pictures to USAA showing the nails sticking up out of the floor, the deplorable quality of work, the inexcusable delays, etc. Nothing. We called USAA. We had a nice conversation with a representative obviously trained to handle "problem customers" without actually doing anything.

We asked for someone from USAA to come see the condition of our home in person. We were finally put in touch with an adjustor, another contracted employee, who actually lectured us on wasting his time. He refused to come see our home. In fact, to date, USAA has never actually seen our home and refuse to do anything about First General even though they have seen the pictures and videos. We even had to look through the bill from First General and catch where they were charging us for services they never provided. We did the work to get the money back to USAA. USAA has spent more time haggling with First General than actually representing our interests. We certainly have not been indemnified.

USAA claims to know the value of a home they have never seen. USAA did not protect us and doesn't really care that First General left our home in a worse condition than it was before we started. As a retired Army family, we believed USAA was comprised of honorable men and women who understood what it means to serve. In fact, that is their motto; however, I think they'd better change it to something more apropos like: "Screwing Those Who Serve." Please think twice before using USAA for your homeowner's insurance, especially if you are E6 and below!

Original review: June 22, 2018

I had some water damage, I called USAA to check coverage, the agent told me to get a quote first, before I file a claim, since it may be less than my deductible. I did, and it was. I wanted to check rates of other companies since my premiums have gone up year after year. I was told USAA turn me into LEXUS NEXUS, for filing a claim, which I did NOT, regardless other companies won't give you a quote with a claim within a certain time frame. I spoke with a Joe **, about my situation and all he would do was send me an email, stating ZERO was paid on my claim, but again there is a claim!!! The company I switched my car insurance to, was trying to reach him and called 5 days straight and left 5 messages! He is unwilling to remove the Claim report with Lexus Nexus, and I feel I am being held hostage. I will leave USAA as soon as I possibly can, he is arrogant and unwilling to be helpful.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: June 12, 2018

USAA has been our insurer for many years. When we needed them, they were there. USAA has all of the insurance we could possibly need. Customer service, online policy changes and additions. Banking and investments. Trust them, we do!

Original review: June 11, 2018

Easy to reach agents, respectful service. Have had one claim for stolen bike and got fast claim. Have had USAA insurance for over 45 years. Would recommend USAA for anyone eligible.

Original review: June 9, 2018

USAA is a bank that used to service the financial and insurance needs of the officers in all branches of the US military. When they opened their services to the enlisted and their families some time ago, that's when I joined. I saved over $700 dollars yearly when I insured the autos and home. I told everyone I knew about them. The reps are always ready to assist with a smile. They always THANK you for your service. Service on the autos is always courteous and correct. I have NOT had a problem with this company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: June 8, 2018

High rates and poor payout for a claim. Always knew that I was paying more than many but thought would have excellent claims experience (based on auto insurance experience). Had quick claim payout but insufficient for the damage incurred.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I've had insurance with AAA, Allstate, State Farm and none of them compare to USAA. We only had 1 problem and that was with trying to get in touch with a mortgage broker, the insurance people have always been fantastic.

Original review: June 6, 2018

Working with USAA was great. Unlike our previous insurance company, USAA made us feel like we were more than just a policy number and premium payment.

Original review: June 5, 2018

We had a claim on our roof for hail damage. They processed it so fast, and we had the money in the bank well before we expected. They fully covered the cost, although we opted to upgrade at our own expense. And that was entirely fair.

Original review: June 4, 2018 USAA more than satisfies both our homeowners and automobile owners requirements and needs. In addition, their payment plan also meets our financial

situation.

Original review: June 3, 2018

USAA has always been very easy to work with. When I did have a claim they paid quickly and I was able to get a contractor hired and working within days. Following Katrina USAA had assessors on scene to help their customers. My only complaint is that USAA no longer writes Wind policies.

Original review: June 2, 2018

When I signed up, I was given a quote of $825 annually. After I paid the first installment of $400, 2 weeks later, I noticed a woman with a camera taking pictures of my home's foundation and garage! I came out and asked what she was doing. She told me that she was from USAA Home Insurance. I told her that it didn't seem right to stop by unannounced, credentials or not. A week or so later, I got a "revised" bill, for $976 annually, and asking for ANOTHER installment of $90 to make up "the difference"!

When I called them, they advised me that since their rep took pictures, there was some stucco cracking on my home and that the GARAGE DOOR NEEDED PAINTING! This is why they jacked up my bill. I was also told that these repairs needed to be done within 2 years! I told them that I am a single homeowner with a lousy job and that I didn't have the time or capital to do these repairs in so short a time frame. I demanded my refund of $400 and canceled my policy.

Original review: June 1, 2018

USAA Used to be a great company! Until the former chairman opened USAA to all ranks. This destroyed the underwriting pool. Losses have skyrocketed. Accordingly, rates are skyrocketing. Suggest, return to Officer only underwriting rule.

Original review: May 31, 2018

While USAA service reps do take considerable time and patience with my questions, I still feel the insurance is too expensive. The size and value of our house is misstated, and the coverage is confusing.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Great service! Replaced my roof with no hassle. Not the cheapest, but when it comes to claims they don't nickel and dime you. Must be military or be related to military personnel. Best insurer I have ever been with!

Original review: May 28, 2018

USAA is prompt with claim responses, customer service is clear & knowledgeable when helping customers, thorough with updates, offers good money saving suggestions.

Original review: May 19, 2018

Indiana has a lot of rain February 2018. My basement got hit with water coming up from the floor the sump pump could not keep up, because I used the verbiage flood they won’t cover my damage. There was no flooding. I don’t live in a flood zone. My sump pump could not keep up. Guess what with never filing a claim they won’t cover this so they have taken my money for years. What is the insurance for crooks!!!

Original review: April 21, 2018

10 years ago I had nothing but good things to say about USAA. Now after repeated problems with customer service ranging from homeowner's insurance claims, mortgage refinancing, and finally the app messing up and requesting duplicate wire transfers I have had enough and will be closing my accounts. With the last issue of the lack of customer service via chat not being able to cancel a duplicate wire transfer due to their crappy app when I contacted them just minutes after I received the duplicate wire transfer emails was just unbelievable to me.

Other problems include a mortgage refinance that took 4 weeks to process with repeated requests for information that had already been provided and a roof leak claim in December 2017 that USAA delayed and partly paid giving some bs excuse of the shingles deteriorating just in one spot of the roof... and only have claim reps in certain cities and they only work on weekdays!

So I had an open ceiling in December in Ohio for weeks until the claim rep could make it from Cincy to Columbus. And then when he arrived he needed the help of roofing contractors to help him on the roof! Just ridiculous how little they care about their customers. I could go on and on about my experiences in the last 6 months with USAA but needless to say, look elsewhere for banking and insurance.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I filed my first homeowner's insurance claim at the beginning of January 2018. I have had USAA homeowners, auto, rental and jewelry coverage for over 35 years (As has my entire family). I have never placed a rental nor homeowner nor jewelry claim. My plumber discovered a broken pipe in an exterior kitchen wall that did MAJOR damage to my home. My kitchen has been totally gutted since Jan (four months) and the only reason I have been able to proceed with ordering replacement floors, walls, ceilings, cabinets counter etc is because I forked over the money myself.

The claim rep has been patronizing and rude to both me and my contractor. I might be able to complete this damage repair project in about another 30 days, but very little has been done except gaslighting by USAA. And to add insult to injury, my auto insurance bill arrived today... and for six months coverage, it jumped from about $600 the last six months to over a thousand now for the same six months! Ridiculous, unprofessional, and yes, as soon as this claims is complete I am taking ALL my business and my family’s accounts too, and going elsewhere.

Original review: April 17, 2018

This whole experience has made it very clear USAA Homeowners Insurance is useless. Our claim was denied because of a leak UNDERNEATH our home, covered entirely by subflooring and insulation, was not reported within 14 days. It most certainly WAS reported within 14 days of our discovering it; however, because there appears to be evidence that the leak itself was present for longer than 14 days, the claim was denied. Really?? If we didn't know about it, how could we have reported it? What a sham.

What good is this insurance if there are catch 22s such as this that do nothing to protect your customers. They should be ashamed of themselves. We have been with this company for many, many years and have always had good experiences, until now. We don't want anything more than to have our repairs covered under a policy we thought was going to be there for us when we needed it. What a shame. This your company doesn't share that view. We WILL be looking for another insurance company and we WILL share our experience with our friends, co-workers and family members. Disgraceful.

Original review: April 15, 2018

While on vacation my hot water heater in a closed cabinet in the kitchen leaked. USAA claim adjuster came out as soon as I got back, set up a contractor to dry out the area and then approved claim for whole new kitchen. The process was wonderfully easy and quick. Color me impressed. I couldn’t be happier with them.

Original review: March 26, 2018

I had to make a claim on my homeowner's insurance on my recent deployment. I was traveling to some fairly remote areas and wasn't always able to contact USAA or my contractors. USAA made everything as easy for me as they possibly could and it continued when I returned stateside and repairs were ongoing. Thanks to the loss of use coverage, USAA took over billing at my hotel the day I checked in, so my only out of cost expense for this large claim was my deductible. The settlements for each segment of the claim were handled promptly, as were all of my questions and concerns. I can't thank USAA enough for making this as stress-free as possible.

Original review: March 21, 2018

We purchased a Santa Rosa home in the summer of 2017 & secured USAA coverage to cover the property. USAA set the policy amount after we answered roughly six (6) questions which after the wildfires which struck the California wine country area in the beginning of October 2017. After our losing our home to the fires, it has been revealed that our coverage is grossly inadequate, roughly 50% of the amount it will take to rebuilt our home, same size, same quality. USAA has refused to reexamine the manner how the policy amount was arrived at, as well as, compromise with us to allow us to have a reasonable financial chance of rebuilding our home. As it stands, USAA has neglected its fiduciary duty to us as insurance policyholders.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

I’m a veteran living on Social Security. I had heard good things about USAA and have to admit that I didn’t read my insurance policies (2 auto policies and a home policy), nearly as well as I should have. I have a perfect driving record and exceptional credit rating. My premiums seemed high to me but I thought they were probably in line with most companies. After all, they tout themselves as being military friendly and family oriented. NOT!!! My first clue of what USAA had become was: I live in a hail prone zone and 2-3 years prior I had installed a new Class IV impact resistant roof, (which is much more expensive than a normal roof), in hopes of preventing future roof damage.

All insurance companies that I know of offer substantial discounts for impact resistant roofs. USAA offered a similar discount, but ONLY if I signed an affidavit that basically said they would not cover any damage that was cosmetic. (In other words they’d only cover it if my roof leaked no matter what it looked like.)

This didn’t seem right to me, so after confirming the requirement for me to sign their paperwork I, (without signing their affidavit), started checking my policies more closely.

My findings? Both my house and auto policies cost hundreds of dollars each more than other major companies. The worst part is that the COVERAGE was absolutely HORRIBLE! The company that I changed to (at a several hundred dollar savings), won’t even let their agents write a policy with coverage as bad as the one USAA recommended! USAA, while charging their clients hundreds of dollars MORE, all the while touting how wonderful they are to veterans and military personnel and their families is absolutely deceitful and shameful!

In talking to previously long term USAA clients, the company wasn’t always like this but something changed around 3 years ago. I believe they may have taken a similar “3 D” policy (Dispute, Deny, Delay), that some other questionable (major) insurance companies have recently adopted. This practice heavily inflates the company’s bottom line by reducing their payouts. This is achieved by underestimating replacement costs, inflating depreciation of property, denying claim damage, disputing claim damage and costs, and delaying verbal and written correspondence and checks regarding ANYTHING other than the original unreasonable estimates they present.

A very high percentage of clients either think there is nothing they can do (sometimes correctly so), or they just plain get frustrated and give up trying to get a fair settlement. Great way to make huge profits huh??? To be fair, almost everyone that I talked to at USAA was friendly and easy to work with. It’s the overall company policies that I have a problem with.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

Sunday I woke up to a water leak in the basement bathroom. I called the plumber, he came out within the hour...great service and very honest guy. He told me that my leak is coming from the outside of the house and I should call a roofer/contractor to evaluate the situation. I called a few places Monday morning and was told that the valley in my roof was failing. The water was leaking into my attic and should call my insurance company. The salesman called his inspection guy, he came out and inspected my roof for damage, thoroughly.

My husband call USAA filed a claim and was told someone would call us to come out and inspect the damage within 24 hours. The contractor called the next day and said he could not come until Thursday afternoon to inspect the house. He shows up takes a quick outside look at the roof and tells us the insurance company won't repair maintenance work on the roof. He continues to assess the damage on the inside of the house and tells us he will come back to inspect the roof when he gets a ladder. I ask him, "Why would you come to my home knowing the roof was leaking, without a ladder." My husband offered his ladder, the guy gave us some liability speech and said, "But if you want me to go on the roof, I will." He spent 10 minutes on the roof, got down and said he would write up his report.

I was so hurt, confused and felt like this guy did not show up to protect my must valuable possession -- my house. How was he going to protect my property without inspecting the cause of the water getting in my house in the first place. How could he look 13 feet up in the air and decide this is a maintenance issue. I had an accurate inspection of my roof, the shingles are loose in the valley most likely because of wind. There is asphalt missing from shingles and damage to back of the roof, he never even looked at. Water was leaking in between the flashing and the loose shingles were causes wood rot, mold in the attic.

I realize that USAA did not send this guy out to protect my property from lost and peril, but to save them money. The very sad part is he told us the roof is the original roof (18 years old) and has about 5 more years of life. He wished he could help -- like my insurance payments are some sort of charity, but there is nothing he can do. This guy has denied my claim and does not even work for USSA -- how unprofessional, and presumptuous! I am completely outraged!!!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

Oct. 2016, found a broken drain under the dishwasher. It had been leaking for quite some time, subfloor damage, cabinet damage, wall damage and the wastewater had seeped into our dining room under the wood floors. USAA immediately stated that coverage for mildew and mold is not covered. I explained that it was actively leaking at the time of detection. They sent out an inspector, produced a 1500 dollar quote for the repairs, with the instruction to have a contractor come out and submit a quote for repair, $18,000+, as the countertop tile is not replaceable, the cabinets needed to be repaired, so now the entire kitchen is patchwork.

I had to have the opposite countertops changed to match the new/different color, textured materials, The repairs to the damaged cabinets looked great, though, then I had to upgrade the other side of the kitchen cabinets to match the repaired/repainted damaged cabinets, flooring to match, etc. Did not get a check until Feb. 2017 for $6,200. Took pictures of the demolition, the floor, the walls, the damage to the dining room etc. Sent to the adjuster, informs me that all of that is covered by the payment received. I spent hours on the phone and she states that the price is dictated by a national database.

For example, 12 square feet of plywood removal, replacement is $25, as the plywood is only 12 dollars for the 12 square feet (though we had to buy a complete 4' x 8' sheet of plywood to cut the 12 square feet out of) and the labor is $13 as it will only take 15 minutes to do the work (and the national database stated that it would only take 15 minutes to do this work at $52 per hour rate). I asked where these contractors are that work on that scale of perfection in time and material. NO answer.

Here I am 15 months out. Total outlay by me is $21,000 for all of the repairs and work and I am still waiting for USAA to do something with the claim, online it states: "Your claim is unresolved because USAA needs additional time to further review and process the claim under your dwelling coverage." Letter dated October 27, 2017 at 9:32 a.m. CT.

What more is to review. You took advantage of me and now are you looking for ways to recoup the payment that you have already made??? I have contacted USAA on numerous occasions with no callback, no emails, no cell phone calls or text messages. They have all of my contacts as I have been a member for the past 26 years. Insurance commission has no interest in this case. They won't even take a statement/complaint.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

After filing a claim for storm ice and water damage to the roof of my insured home USAA denied the claim, sent an unqualified general contractor to inspect, and made excuses about how they are not responsible for water damage even though their inspector stated the damage was a result of water under the shingles. USAA informed me they would only pay for repainting of the wet interior ceiling drywall and that I should hire my own contractor to replace the roof. This is the second time USAA has refused to honor homeowner insurance for repair of water damages to my home. Their customer service is condescending, uninformed, cannot answer simple questions, and protects their contract inspector whose only role is to excuse USAA from paying a claim.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

Two years ago USAA allowed a woman to charge 625 times on my 92 year old mother's account and write bad checks of $11,000.00 leaving a balance when she died of $16,000... total of $27,000. The woman who did it went to prison and USAA sent my dead mother a 1099 for "debt forgiveness" when she did not pay the $16,000, instead of the thief. I kept them informed throughout the entire legal process. Now because I was a complaining customer, they conveniently "LOST" my elevation certificate on my home after 25 years and my insurance, on a townhouse, which could not move, went from less than $600 to $6,000.00.

I called to cancel the policy and yesterday discovered the jerk on the phone did not do it and my mortgage company paid it. I am on a fixed income and the extra $500 a month meant I was going to lose my home. I am sure because I was confrontational they decided to pay me back. I will take every opportunity to let people know what this company has done to take advantage of someone.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

I am trying to finish a forced-kitchen renovation. During the entire time, USAA has been very helpful & professional in handling my claim & holding my hand. They have made a miserable experience more of an adventure although it is one I'd rather not repeat.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

Had a lightning strike, with random damage to electronics and wiring throughout house. USAA handled this claim thoroughly and respectfully throughout the process. I have literally nothing to add, they were flawless in customer care, information, processing times and payments for repair or replacements.

USAA expert review by Matthew Brodsky

USAA was founded in 1922 and serves members of the military and their families. The company offers insurance policies, banking, investment options and other financial services.

• Good pricing: USAA is known to have some of the most competitively priced policies available.

• Additional services: With its home insurance policies, USAA offers identity theft coverage should any homeowners personal belongings be used to steal their identity.

• Variety: USAA offers many types of homeowner insurance, and they are a one-stop insurance option, meaning policyholders can also purchase other types of insurance through the company.

• Service: USAA only provides its services to members of the military and their families, so it’s not a viable option for every American. Americans who haven’t been affiliated with the military do not have access to the company’s services.

• Consumer service: USAA Homeowners Insurance has complaints filed against it, indicating that policyholders are not always happy with the service they have received.

• Best for: Traditional homeowners, condo owners, farm owners, mobile home owners

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky