2.50/5

USAA Homeowners Insurance

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military and their families. USAA doesn't currently participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you're a member of the U.S. military in need of insurance, contact InsuraMatch today to see multiple offers that could work for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

239 USAA Homeowners Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

I have been a USAA customer for many years. I have said many wonderful things and have felt 100% supported, until now. I have been out of my home for 27 days due to a water leak from the unit above me. I filed a claim immediately, have done everything right and have been the one to initiate all communication and have had to fight daily to accomplish anything with this claim. They could easily take my deductible, which I am happy to pay, cover the claim and get me back into my home quickly and use their internal department to fight the other insurance company, which by the way, is the responsible party. It’s a simple fix that USAA is making very difficult. I have not been treated courteously, compassionately or respectfully. I have requested a change in claim staff and have yet to receive a call from anyone including a quality control department. I just continue to fight alone while being displaced out of my home. I am so very disappointed in USAA.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

We have been members for almost 25 years and we have had major issues with our home and I SAW has denied everything every time. We have water that came in our basement (minimal). They said they will not cover it. We have a leak from our flashing causing our floor hoist to start rotting away. They said they will not cover. Do they cover anything?? We have been loyal but they have never been loyal to us. Their customer service department does not want to help. We were affected by hurricane Micheal and all the nasty representative would say is, "I know. We don't cover that." They are running a awful business and to not look after our Military members is very very upsetting! I think after 25 years it's time to go looking. I would not recommend them to a DOG! BEWARE OF THIS COMPANY. IF YOU FILE A CLAIM 8 TIMES OUT OF 10 THEY DENY IT!

Get expert buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

Got my homeowners premium. It went up 12.5%. Last year was also a significant increase. Called them and asked why. They said because of rebuilding cost. They want to insure just my home for more than $60,000 than what new homes sell for in my neighborhood. No good answer from their rep. Goodbye USAA.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

VETERANS BEWARE!!! I wouldn't give them a single star if that was an option. USAA Insurance - Despite the "WE CARE" About our Veterans - like me, present with their commercials we are all flooded with, when it comes time to file a claim in good faith, they will screw you, and basically call you a liar. 2 months ago, we had severe weather tear the roof off of my rental house, and had 2 additional events of rain and wind which destroyed the upper bedroom and all of its contents. I had a local handyman come and remove the destroyed bed, bedding, dresser's, TV, electronics, carpet, etc. and haul it off as it was rain-soaked and filthy as the entire ceiling collapsed onto all of the room.

I contacted USAA the following day regarding the damaged property and went over it all with the rep. over the phone. I was then told that I would hear back. A couple of weeks go by and now I am being asked for receipts and pictures of what I had. Really? Who takes pictures of all the things you may have in every room?

Anyway, I sent several pictures (what I had anyway) along with a detailed list of what it was that was damaged. A couple of weeks go by and I get a call that "they" USAA is willing to send me a check for $2,500.00 and proceeds to tell me what I had. - Magic list that didn't come from me. I paused and asked what about the other items? I was told "based on what I sent" that was all they were "prepared" to cover. I then asked about the pictures I had and the list of items that I sent to their email complaint/claim department. No answer - she had not received it. I resent it all yet again along with pictures that I found that matched what I had - and stated as well.

2 weeks go by and I get a call from an extremely rude and heavy smoker while we talk about what I had. I was asked leading questions about my claim and what I had. I explained that the pictures I had sent and the pictures I sent that "looked exactly like what I had". I was then told that she had found those same pictures on the internet. I replied I don't know exactly where they came from - could have come from my computer, etc, I again repeated that they were pictures of what I had had and lost - NOT the exact pictures from my home.

Then I was told this would have to go to yet another manager. 2 weeks go by and I get another phone call about they had decided to deny my claim as I was lying to them in effect. No answer. I explained again over the phone that the pictures were of an "exact match' (news people call this file) to what I had - NOT the pictures of what I had in my home - merely an accurate example of what was lost. They did not even attempt to talk to the men that removed and hauled off the damaged items. So now I am being told basically that I am lying about what I had - (committing fraudulent claim) and they are denying the entire claim, despite evidence to the contrary. Do not do business with this "Veteran" service - they are no better than the rest of the thieves out there.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

So I currently lost my job and have been displaced from my home in Virginia due to mandatory evacuations brought on by a hurricane. I am also currently going through a divorce and in the position where I have to short sell my house. I've been with USAA for over 9 years now and have my homeowner's insurance through them. Whenever I called to ask if my policy was up to date they started asking me general questions. They asked me if I was currently living at the residence and I told them no because I had evacuated the area. Then they started asking me more in depth questions so I asked what the questions were for. The Representative's demeanor changed and she became very short telling me that the house is now considered vacant and they were underwriting my policy!

She also informed me that my house may not be covered due to damages from the hurricane since it's now considered vacant! I told her I didn't want to answer any more questions and I wanted to talk to her supervisor. Her response was to tell me that everything I had said to her was recorded and she would be sending it in for further review and if necessary they would take legal action against me. Once her supervisor got on the phone and I explained to her that I was an evacuee and exactly what her representative said she started to backpedal immediately and apologized and said I was still fully covered. The whole situation really damaged my faith in the company and even to this point I'm not a hundred percent sure if something were to happen to my home that it would still be covered.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I love USAA. I have all of my insurance through them. Which is why I am so disturbed that they wrote a 17,000.00 3 party check to a roofing company with the wrong mortgage on it and proven that the signature is a fraud. Bank should not have cashed it yet they refuse to take care of the problem.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

I have been with USAA for years and love their service. Which is why I am so perplexed with this situation. Bottom line they sent a 17,000.00 three party check to a roofing company. It has been proven that it was made out to the wrong mortgage. The check was forged and they tell me it is my problem. The error is theirs and they won't fix it.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

We've been USAA customers for 30+ years (home insurance, car insurance, banking, credit cards, the works). Had just one 'minor' claim and the most recent claim on a "personal-article-floater" (PAF) policy for my wife's wedding ring. In order to get this add-on insurance, we provided a copy of what I paid for the ring along with an independent appraisal on the ring ($5700 value and they've had this information on file for past 30+ years). I've paid premiums on this $5700 -value since buying the ring.

My wife's ring was stolen a few months ago, she's extremely upset, and I file a claim against this PAF-policy. USAA comes back with telling me that they will only pay $3400.00 for this ring. Or, they will replace the diamond with a $3400.00 diamond (that it sounds like they picked up from Kmart). If I had been paying an added premium for a value of $3400, this would be fine. I've been paying a premium for a $5700-ring, I paid $5700 for the ring (30-years ago), and the insurance should be worth $5700 (or I've been over-charged premiums from inception).

Getting the premiums to be higher than others seems to be a practice. USAA had a value of items inside the home at some $750K (and charged a premium based on this). We don't keep gold in the home and the contents of our home are nowhere near this high. It's apparently a percentage of the home value (which was also way too high). After quite a bit of back/forth, they reduced the home value - which reduced the value of the contents as well. It is still way too high (I can replace the contents of the home for 25% of what USAA has it valued at and is charging a premium on). When I step back and look at the practice being done on the contents and also on this PAF-policy for the ring - they are identical. Charge a higher premium for a value on the property...but have no intentions at all on actually ever paying for this actual value.

Again, if ring was only worth $3400 in USAA's mind/world, the premium should be based on this value. I was paying a premium on a $5700 ring that I actually paid $5700 for (the original receipt on file shows this). It seems that they never had any intention of honoring their side of the deal and I am not sure how anyone can trust this type of bait/switch scheme. For the diamond that they offered to pick up from the local Kmart, 'no thank you'. I spent over a year of time looking for and finding my wife's wedding ring. I'm simply not able to buy into whatever belief that USAA seems to have that this $3400 diamond picked up off the corner store is anywhere close or near the same thing.

In process of canceling/moving everything. Trust in USAA or the policies issued is no longer there - and moving before something truly major happens must be done. They never used to operate this way and a noticeable change is evident in the way business is done now. I never minded paying them more than any other company for insurance - I simply have to 'trust' the insurance company that I deal with. Best of luck to others and I hope you have a better experience with USAA than the one we've had.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

Honestly, I thought USAA was the cat's meow. I THOUGHT I was getting a better rate because I'm a vet and their advertising campaign. WRONG. Example-My Homeowners through USAA was $3400 per year. Exactly the same coverage (better actually) from STATE FARM- $1488 per year. USAA seems to hook you when you’re a young veteran, then slowly bends you over until you feel a jab right up the rectum. They make it feel so natural you don’t even know you’re getting ** hard. Getting other quotes I’ve realized we’ve been overpaying for years.

A company that’s supposed to look out for us vets... Hell! USAA is ran by veterans! Just shows corporate greed has no boundaries. USAA doesn’t care that you served. It's the baited hook to get us active duty and vets sucked into their scam. If you’re reading this you’ve been warned. I have the paperwork proving exactly what I've described. I'm a veteran, served 8 years in Air Force. Joined USAA in October of 2000... Haven’t heard a fart since. Lol. Now I know why. See! That sneaky about it. I sincerely hope this helps and saves other people/veterans from overpaying for insurance. Better companies out there. Guarantee It.

Original review: June 25, 2018

We filed a claim with USAA in November of 2017. We were pressured (all within the confines of the law, of course) to use a company that USAA claimed to have vetted and pronounced of the highest quality. The implication was: use the company we have a contract with or expect delays and possibly non-payment if you pick your own. We trusted USAA. They contract with First General, which has to be scraping the bottom of the proverbial barrel. We sent pictures to USAA showing the nails sticking up out of the floor, the deplorable quality of work, the inexcusable delays, etc. Nothing. We called USAA. We had a nice conversation with a representative obviously trained to handle "problem customers" without actually doing anything.

We asked for someone from USAA to come see the condition of our home in person. We were finally put in touch with an adjustor, another contracted employee, who actually lectured us on wasting his time. He refused to come see our home. In fact, to date, USAA has never actually seen our home and refuse to do anything about First General even though they have seen the pictures and videos. We even had to look through the bill from First General and catch where they were charging us for services they never provided. We did the work to get the money back to USAA. USAA has spent more time haggling with First General than actually representing our interests. We certainly have not been indemnified.

USAA claims to know the value of a home they have never seen. USAA did not protect us and doesn't really care that First General left our home in a worse condition than it was before we started. As a retired Army family, we believed USAA was comprised of honorable men and women who understood what it means to serve. In fact, that is their motto; however, I think they'd better change it to something more apropos like: "Screwing Those Who Serve." Please think twice before using USAA for your homeowner's insurance, especially if you are E6 and below!

Original review: June 22, 2018

I had some water damage, I called USAA to check coverage, the agent told me to get a quote first, before I file a claim, since it may be less than my deductible. I did, and it was. I wanted to check rates of other companies since my premiums have gone up year after year. I was told USAA turn me into LEXUS NEXUS, for filing a claim, which I did NOT, regardless other companies won't give you a quote with a claim within a certain time frame. I spoke with a Joe **, about my situation and all he would do was send me an email, stating ZERO was paid on my claim, but again there is a claim!!! The company I switched my car insurance to, was trying to reach him and called 5 days straight and left 5 messages! He is unwilling to remove the Claim report with Lexus Nexus, and I feel I am being held hostage. I will leave USAA as soon as I possibly can, he is arrogant and unwilling to be helpful.

Original review: June 12, 2018

USAA has been our insurer for many years. When we needed them, they were there. USAA has all of the insurance we could possibly need. Customer service, online policy changes and additions. Banking and investments. Trust them, we do!

Original review: June 11, 2018

Easy to reach agents, respectful service. Have had one claim for stolen bike and got fast claim. Have had USAA insurance for over 45 years. Would recommend USAA for anyone eligible.

Original review: June 9, 2018

USAA is a bank that used to service the financial and insurance needs of the officers in all branches of the US military. When they opened their services to the enlisted and their families some time ago, that's when I joined. I saved over $700 dollars yearly when I insured the autos and home. I told everyone I knew about them. The reps are always ready to assist with a smile. They always THANK you for your service. Service on the autos is always courteous and correct. I have NOT had a problem with this company.

Original review: June 8, 2018

High rates and poor payout for a claim. Always knew that I was paying more than many but thought would have excellent claims experience (based on auto insurance experience). Had quick claim payout but insufficient for the damage incurred.

Original review: June 7, 2018

I've had insurance with AAA, Allstate, State Farm and none of them compare to USAA. We only had 1 problem and that was with trying to get in touch with a mortgage broker, the insurance people have always been fantastic.

Original review: June 6, 2018

Working with USAA was great. Unlike our previous insurance company, USAA made us feel like we were more than just a policy number and premium payment.

Original review: June 5, 2018

We had a claim on our roof for hail damage. They processed it so fast, and we had the money in the bank well before we expected. They fully covered the cost, although we opted to upgrade at our own expense. And that was entirely fair.

Original review: June 4, 2018

USAA more than satisfies both our homeowners and automobile owners requirements and needs. In addition, their payment plan also meets our financial

situation.

Original review: June 3, 2018

USAA has always been very easy to work with. When I did have a claim they paid quickly and I was able to get a contractor hired and working within days. Following Katrina USAA had assessors on scene to help their customers. My only complaint is that USAA no longer writes Wind policies.

Original review: June 2, 2018

When I signed up, I was given a quote of $825 annually. After I paid the first installment of $400, 2 weeks later, I noticed a woman with a camera taking pictures of my home's foundation and garage! I came out and asked what she was doing. She told me that she was from USAA Home Insurance. I told her that it didn't seem right to stop by unannounced, credentials or not. A week or so later, I got a "revised" bill, for $976 annually, and asking for ANOTHER installment of $90 to make up "the difference"!

When I called them, they advised me that since their rep took pictures, there was some stucco cracking on my home and that the GARAGE DOOR NEEDED PAINTING! This is why they jacked up my bill. I was also told that these repairs needed to be done within 2 years! I told them that I am a single homeowner with a lousy job and that I didn't have the time or capital to do these repairs in so short a time frame. I demanded my refund of $400 and canceled my policy.

Original review: June 1, 2018

USAA Used to be a great company! Until the former chairman opened USAA to all ranks. This destroyed the underwriting pool. Losses have skyrocketed. Accordingly, rates are skyrocketing. Suggest, return to Officer only underwriting rule.

Original review: May 31, 2018

While USAA service reps do take considerable time and patience with my questions, I still feel the insurance is too expensive. The size and value of our house is misstated, and the coverage is confusing.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Great service! Replaced my roof with no hassle. Not the cheapest, but when it comes to claims they don't nickel and dime you. Must be military or be related to military personnel. Best insurer I have ever been with!

Original review: May 28, 2018

USAA is prompt with claim responses, customer service is clear & knowledgeable when helping customers, thorough with updates, offers good money saving suggestions.

Original review: May 19, 2018

Indiana has a lot of rain February 2018. My basement got hit with water coming up from the floor the sump pump could not keep up, because I used the verbiage flood they won’t cover my damage. There was no flooding. I don’t live in a flood zone. My sump pump could not keep up. Guess what with never filing a claim they won’t cover this so they have taken my money for years. What is the insurance for crooks!!!

Original review: April 21, 2018

10 years ago I had nothing but good things to say about USAA. Now after repeated problems with customer service ranging from homeowner's insurance claims, mortgage refinancing, and finally the app messing up and requesting duplicate wire transfers I have had enough and will be closing my accounts. With the last issue of the lack of customer service via chat not being able to cancel a duplicate wire transfer due to their crappy app when I contacted them just minutes after I received the duplicate wire transfer emails was just unbelievable to me.

Other problems include a mortgage refinance that took 4 weeks to process with repeated requests for information that had already been provided and a roof leak claim in December 2017 that USAA delayed and partly paid giving some bs excuse of the shingles deteriorating just in one spot of the roof... and only have claim reps in certain cities and they only work on weekdays!

So I had an open ceiling in December in Ohio for weeks until the claim rep could make it from Cincy to Columbus. And then when he arrived he needed the help of roofing contractors to help him on the roof! Just ridiculous how little they care about their customers. I could go on and on about my experiences in the last 6 months with USAA but needless to say, look elsewhere for banking and insurance.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I filed my first homeowner's insurance claim at the beginning of January 2018. I have had USAA homeowners, auto, rental and jewelry coverage for over 35 years (As has my entire family). I have never placed a rental nor homeowner nor jewelry claim. My plumber discovered a broken pipe in an exterior kitchen wall that did MAJOR damage to my home. My kitchen has been totally gutted since Jan (four months) and the only reason I have been able to proceed with ordering replacement floors, walls, ceilings, cabinets counter etc is because I forked over the money myself.

The claim rep has been patronizing and rude to both me and my contractor. I might be able to complete this damage repair project in about another 30 days, but very little has been done except gaslighting by USAA. And to add insult to injury, my auto insurance bill arrived today... and for six months coverage, it jumped from about $600 the last six months to over a thousand now for the same six months! Ridiculous, unprofessional, and yes, as soon as this claims is complete I am taking ALL my business and my family’s accounts too, and going elsewhere.

Original review: April 17, 2018

This whole experience has made it very clear USAA Homeowners Insurance is useless. Our claim was denied because of a leak UNDERNEATH our home, covered entirely by subflooring and insulation, was not reported within 14 days. It most certainly WAS reported within 14 days of our discovering it; however, because there appears to be evidence that the leak itself was present for longer than 14 days, the claim was denied. Really?? If we didn't know about it, how could we have reported it? What a sham.

What good is this insurance if there are catch 22s such as this that do nothing to protect your customers. They should be ashamed of themselves. We have been with this company for many, many years and have always had good experiences, until now. We don't want anything more than to have our repairs covered under a policy we thought was going to be there for us when we needed it. What a shame. This your company doesn't share that view. We WILL be looking for another insurance company and we WILL share our experience with our friends, co-workers and family members. Disgraceful.

Original review: April 15, 2018

While on vacation my hot water heater in a closed cabinet in the kitchen leaked. USAA claim adjuster came out as soon as I got back, set up a contractor to dry out the area and then approved claim for whole new kitchen. The process was wonderfully easy and quick. Color me impressed. I couldn’t be happier with them.

USAA expert review by Matthew Brodsky

USAA was founded in 1922 and serves members of the military and their families. The company offers insurance policies, banking, investment options and other financial services.

• Good pricing: USAA is known to have some of the most competitively priced policies available.

• Additional services: With its home insurance policies, USAA offers identity theft coverage should any homeowners personal belongings be used to steal their identity.

• Variety: USAA offers many types of homeowner insurance, and they are a one-stop insurance option, meaning policyholders can also purchase other types of insurance through the company.

• Service: USAA only provides its services to members of the military and their families, so it’s not a viable option for every American. Americans who haven’t been affiliated with the military do not have access to the company’s services.

• Consumer service: USAA Homeowners Insurance has complaints filed against it, indicating that policyholders are not always happy with the service they have received.

• Best for: Traditional homeowners, condo owners, farm owners, mobile home owners

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky