Protect what matters most

Protect my home
USAA Homeowners Insurance
4.02/5

USAA Homeowners Insurance

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military and their families. USAA doesn't currently participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you're a member of the U.S. military in need of insurance, contact InsuraMatch today to see multiple offers that could work for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Protect what matters most

Compare Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Protect my home

271 USAA Homeowners Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I had hail damage to my house a few years ago. It was only a few months after switching my homeowner's insurance to USAA. They answered the phone promptly, were very professional, and streamlined the process, and paid for the damage. A few of my neighbors had trouble with other insurance companies paying for their damage. I did not. So, if they are a little more expensive than some of the other insurance companies, you get what you pay for. As far as the complaints on this website, if I have a problem with USAA, I will be back on this website with a complaint. Until then, I will remain their customer.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

We really like USAA. They always call in a Natural Disaster. They are caring about their customers and making sure they are safe. They make sure we have all we need and that all claims are taken care of promptly. The price is reasonable and family members can be added at no cost. They have perk, apps, incentives, discounts etc. USAA has apps you can use to manage your account/accounts as well. Highly recommend USAA.

Get expert buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

USAA is competent and flexible. This is the company used by most armed forces personnel when they can get it. They understand what it means to serve, which is their slogan and their way of doing business. They provide the best coverage at a reasonable price. They have the best customer service and are the most helpful when filing a claim and taking care of damages. However, I would change their policy of not covering folks in certain areas because of the state doing stupid stuff.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

USAA is customer friendly and reliable. I have USAA insurance since purchasing my first house way back to the 1970's. The insurance costs a little more but service is outstanding. If you have something happen and call them you can be assured that they will send an adjuster at no time. No waiting for days. On many occasions they will issue you a check at that time. I have always been treated with the upmost courtesy and kindness by USAA. It would be nice however if coverage would be a little cheaper. Nowadays everything is so very expensive sometimes causing families not to carry the required coverage. Still, overall USAA is very convenient and the adjusters are informative and explain everything. You are also provided a computer printout of what was discussed and what the company is paying you for.

Original review: June 9, 2018

USAA is a bank that used to service the financial and insurance needs of the officers in all branches of the US military. When they opened their services to the enlisted and their families some time ago, that's when I joined. I saved over $700 dollars yearly when I insured the autos and home. I told everyone I knew about them. The reps are always ready to assist with a smile. They always THANK you for your service. Service on the autos is always courteous and correct. I have NOT had a problem with this company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: May 7, 2019

Since 2017 my Homeowner insurance policy (which hasn't changed) has increased by $850/year - $200 in 2018 and $650 in 2019. I had one claim (2018) over the 25 years I have been with USAA. In addition, my car insurance continues to rise even though I have never had an accident and my car insurance on a car that is now 15 years old, continues to rise and I have NEVER had a claim/accident. Not sure that this could ever be reasonably explained to me.

Original review: May 3, 2019

Our family has been USAA members for many years. Recently my 93 year old mother-in-law had two fences which were damaged by wind and rain. The posts basically had rotten out and the fence was listing. The person assigned to her claim was very difficult to contact and even after leaving messages, I did not always get returned calls. I had to contact another person in claims to get this started. The total for replacing both fences came to about $4200. Her half of the claim should have been about $2100 minus her deductible of $500. Unlike other companies, USAA depreciates fences and since these fences were over 20 years old, they sent her a claim check for $79 dollars. Since these fences were permanent structures and vital to keeping animals in the yard, this seems unfair. Where are the insurance premium dollars going in this case?

Original review: April 27, 2019

Filing a homeowner's claim, we were out of our home for a month. ALE SOLUTIONS responsible for reimbursement for USAA is claiming payments that did not occur. 3 months later still waiting on payments.

Original review: April 24, 2019

USAA overcharges their consumers too much. Example, for house insurance, it was $2,000 for me and I got the same deal from All State for $600. Auto insurance? $800 when I got a $400 deal. Mortgage? 3.75% interest when I could have gotten 3.25% or less elsewhere. Cashback for credit cards? Lousy when I get 2% from Citi or 5% from Discover. I'm done with USAA for life. Savings Account? It was just a lousy 0.03% or something when I get 2.35% from PNC.

Original review: April 23, 2019

Rotten tree which I had told our friends next door 6 months before it was about to fall down, which they told the adjuster that was true, but USAA said it needed to be in writing. It knocked down half the brick wall between our two houses and part of my carport. The USAA adjuster said they could not pay because it was act of god, but it was the only tree in town which was blown down, I checked. I was in the Navy from 1968 to 1972 and would not buy USAA if it was last insurance company. It cost me $3500 to fix and my friends next door said they did not have any money to fix but would try to get $400 to help which I did not accept because they had just had a new baby. USAA told me to get any money I would need to sue my friend next door which I did not do because they were just starting in life. His tree did not damage anything on his property. USAA really does not help vets just a good selling pitch I guess.

Original review: April 20, 2019

Increasingly contemptuous customer "service". 26-year USAA member here. In the process of closing all of my USAA accounts (home and auto insurance, banking, annuities, credit card). The homeowner folks won't budge on a ridiculous overvaluation of my home ($100000 more than the assessed value!), and the life insurance annuity folks have lost a $500 contribution and refuse to locate/deposit it -- instead they offered me the paperwork to close the account. Which I am doing, because losing the $500 costs me less than the attorney fees to fight USAA in court.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I've been a member of USAA since 2006, and have held the company and service in high regard. However, they have dramatically changed in the last few years, and are no longer trustworthy. I was recently denied a property insurance claim after 2 months of investigation. Investigators consistently asked questions designed to "catch me in a lie" and asked my boss similar questions (had 3 separate conversations with my manager during working hours). They continued to ask for more information until they finally found something that they could use to deny my claim, which took 2 months.

All this for an $800 claim... The kicker is that they denied me for having 2 insurance policies (one renters, one homeowners). I was told by two separate people inside USAA that this wouldn't affect my coverage, but as soon as I needed to use the insurance, I learned that my policy is basically worthless. In the past they would have actually believed what I said information I provided, and the process would have taken a week or so. I'm in the process of moving to a company I can trust. Unfortunately USAA is no longer a company worthy of trust... A true shame.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Updated on 04/24/2019: I wrote a report earlier about this issue. We have been denied coverage. USAA sent out there vendor Keystone Engineering to our home to determine the "cause" of the damage to our home. Mind you the contractor's estimate was just 10K and have no idea how much USAA spent on this so called forensic engineer to find out how the damage occurred.

USAA did not give the engineer pictures of the Ice dam or the snow at 3 and 4 feet covering everything nor any of the wall damage pictures or water running down the walls. No they sent him two pictures all clear no snow and facia cracks not the ones that we sent about crumbling ones due to the freeze and thaw event. Their professional did not use a moisture meter even though he was told we had water "running" in the walls and leaching out of the walls. He failed to inspect the siding on the water damaged walls. More on that later. Of course we waited for his report and it was in the insurance's favor saying it's a roof leak.

Hearing this we promptly called our roofing contractor, the roof is new November 2018. He completed a letter regarding no leak and that all the flashing is correct too. We hired a home inspector who is also a licensed contractor to complete a review. He used a moisture meter and he found the cause of the leak. Due to all the snow and the freeze and thaw the HardiePlank crumbled in a couple areas which allowed the water damage. Yes an answer. We sent all this proof into the insurance company and crickets. It's a small enough fix. We will fix it and we will sue the insurer for not paying out on this claim.

We live in Oregon and they protect us too. We will file a hearing against the professional engineer's license as well. Maybe he will think twice about doing this in the future. My spouse is a 100 percent disabled veteran and gave all except his life for his country. We went with USAA because they say they care about our veterans. Nope they don't at all!!! Be aware folks be aware.

Original review: We have been with USAA for years and noticed this last year we received a 25 percent increase in our homeowner’s coverage cost. We were told it’s to cover the real built replacement of our home should we need that. We reviewed the prior coverage and the new amount of coverage the difference was 17K more for the rebuild. So I asked, “You are charging 25 percent more for the increase of only 17K of coverage is that right?” Yes. Wow. It should be under 5 percent increase given the percentage of new coverage amount versus cost. Crickets. Three months later we were hit with a horrible winter storm. We had a brand new roof put on our home. It was only 3 months old. The rock on our home was encased in solid Ice and subject to freeze thaw for weeks. When it all began to melt it would refreeze. The frozen snow took forever to leave weeks. When all was gone we checked for any damage and wow we had some.

We called a contractor thinking it wouldn't be much. Turns out it's nearly 10K in damage. We called the claim in on the house and supplied the contractors report. They kept saying "we don't cover foundation issues". Well that’s good since it’s not a foundation issue. We waited two weeks and called back. They said they would send out an engineer to view the damage. That was another two weeks. Now it’s been a month’s time. Still damage still nothing happening. I live in Oregon so I will call my state's insurance commission and file a complaint to get this thing moving along. I noticed others on here are from Oregon do the same. Oregon can yank there right to sell insurance in Oregon if they receive enough complaints.

Original review: April 8, 2019

I have been with USAA for many, many years. I had a bad stroke of luck. Had to submit a couple of water claim and hail damage (beyond my control). Keep in mind this is the same company that has an alerts on its page after every storm urging you to submit a claim if your property was damaged. My Property Management Company sends me damage assessment and I in turn submit the claims. I live out of state. The repair costs always seem a bit high to me but it's not my line of work so I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of what goes into repair work. According to the Property Manager, they worked closely with USAA for many so they knew the procedures. I trusted that they did.

In all cases I contacted USAA and asked them if if they send out Inspectors to look at the property to verify the claims since I live out of state. They said they didn't. I thought that was a bit weird but again it's not my area of expertise. Insurance companies work perfectly until they have to pay out a claim. Isn't that the reason they exist? Do they really think you just go for 30 to 40 years with no claims?? They didn't even care enough to call me and discuss the matter or at least gave me a warning when I submitted the last claim that I would be dropped. Nothing!!!! This is certainly NOT the USAA I used to know and love. It is upsetting and frustrating. I thought they were different but they're pretty much the same as any other insurance company. I am so disappointed.

Original review: April 2, 2019

Last year, I had a homeowners loss, not a large claim in any manner. They insisted on using their vendors -some miles away- from my town. Could not understand why this vendor, since my town is large and has many licensed contractors and homeowners repair professionals. Anyway, after months, USAA came up with some off the wall price and they sent their estimate and check to their vendor!

Always, thought the policyholders are to get any checks issued on their claim, unless they sign papers directing otherwise. And insisting that I do business with their vendor by sending my claim checks to their vendors, sounds it may be quite illegal. Something fishy going on, here. Does not the Insurance Companies have a Legal Fiduciary Relationship with their policyholders? Don't they owe a Fiduciary Duty to send the policyholder any checks or payments made on their policies?

I could not get the vendor to stop by house and answer any questions, show any samples of flooring, etc., that was suppose to be like what was priced or what they may decide to install. Stated that until I sign a mailed authorization form for them to do the work, would not come by or bring samples. The policyholder surely has a right to see what is the quality and grade of flooring they estimate and plan to install. The paint sample, etc. would be nice. What is estimated vs what was lost vs what is being installed, is questionable and needs to be supported by other contractors. Some choices made by the homeowners.

Heck, their flooring samples may be found to be a cheaper grade that the policyholder had and overpriced for that grade. The homeowner may be able to buy it for much less, elsewhere while getting a better grade of flooring. The reason that I do not want to give authority to do the work is because not sure what they are doing and prices they will be charging for any flooring installed. I may want to upgrade to something else, but can not get any prices from the vendor without first giving them the authority to do the work and charge any price they wish.

It is lot like "add-on" items, added to the new car sticker price by new car dealers. (Except you see these overpriced items) But, I can not see any prices from the vendor. Any new auto buyers can finds that the nitrogen filled tires they are charging $200.00 for can be gotten filled free from Costco, any day of the week. The $1200.00 window tint price add-on can be gotten all over town for $200.00

Anyway, the claim has not worked to my satisfaction and my home cannot be put back to its original condition. Sadly, after all these years with USAA and no prior homeowners claims! My House has no liens or monies owned on it. The vendor is not the policyholder. My opinion or another contractor opinion does not matter to USAA. They are married to their vendors, be it auto windshields prices or homeowners repairs.

The heck with what the free market is charging to do the repairs. They set low ball prices and get some vendors agree to do the work based up the number of claims checks that will have their names on them. Their vendors are mailed the checks. A nice quid pro quo relationship with their vendors. They come up with a price that no free market contractor could afford to do the repairs, after inspection of the damages.

It is my understand that USAA sets the prices that will be paid on their claims, not the free market. Their policyholders are just the innocent victims in their questionable and cozy business arrangements with their vendors. Appears, the insureds are to be damned, it is USAA's vendors that really matters. Their policyholder's monies are just payments promised to their vendors. Eventually, I want to have my home repaired and back to the state -it was- before the loss. Lets hope.

So far, USAA appears to have washed their hands with the claim. They paid the claim based on their prices and their vendor has the check. The homeowner is left out in the cold when their policyholders are not in the loop. Nor, is there a fiduciary relationship with USAA and their policyholders, in my case. It is sad that a loyal policyholder has to write a critique of their carrier, after they purchased the insurance base upon good faith.

Original review: April 1, 2019

I've had USAA for upwards of 20 plus years. My father before me had USAA as well. I've never had problem with Auto Claims for a few dings and glass replacement with no issues. USAA is not the cheapest around and I always came to believe it was because they were the best in handling claims and would pay fairly when trouble strikes. I am currently in my first property claim caused by the failure of our RO system under the sink. The resulting flood affected 5 rooms. By the time ServPro finished with their scorched earth mitigation, I have lost 65% of my base cabinets along with the granite countertops. I am in my 7th week since the event and still have no estimate. I've asked very little from USAA and to date only received about $2000 for 8 weeks to compensate for groceries and a few meals out.

I have no working kitchen sink, dishwasher, and disposal and am cleaning dishes in a powder room sink. USAA uses a "preferred contractor" to provide an estimate and I have no completed estimate even at this point. The contractor indicates USAA may try to repair/replace the damaged units and now I will need to wait further to have yet another guy come out and bid to repair/replace 65% of my cabinets and somehow match style and stain of 20 year old premium maple cabinets. Please know it gives me no pleasure to write this review. I am so discouraged and disappointed in this company that I had been holding up to be so great for so many years. This is not the USAA that I signed up for and it is not the USAA that wraps itself in the flag on television. The communication is abysmal, the processes are slow, and they leave the customer, the victim of the damage, to push the process along. Very poor experience.

Original review: March 28, 2019

My first claim ever and it's been weeks, I get the runaround, claims denial and more questions. I should have known better when I started to see all those advertisements. Just another crappy screw the customer insurance company. I have paid them probably 50X the $$$ in what the claim was for. If I could give them 0 stars I would. But this site won't let me.

Original review: March 19, 2019

This company charged us for a house we didn't own and offered to provide a 30% return on the money that was charged in error. After the issue was addressed we received another notice to ignore the termination and that they were reinstating the policy again? There are obvious errors on their end without any willingness to correct their mistakes. This is not the first issue with USAA. Integrity is clearly missing and now we must pay an attorney to try to make a company have ethical standards.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

My husband and I have our homeowner's with them and they have turned us down for ROT in our home. We pay our payment every month ON TIME! They said they don't cover rot! My husband has been loyal to them for over 25 years but I guess LOYALTY means nothing with them anymore. It's ok. We will move our insurance elsewhere even if it cost more. USAA is not for their members anymore. They are all about the mighty DOLLAR & NOT taking care of their members. I am so ashamed to have spent as long as we have with them! They are NOT the same as they were 5 years ago! We have had 1 claim between HOMEOWNER'S & AUTO in 25 YEARS & this is how you do your members! Going shopping for better companies!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I filed a claim in October for leaks in my roof that stained the ceiling in three separate locations. USAA recommended a "preferred" provider in my area. I had the provider take a look at the interior and roof of my home. They told me I had hail damage and needed a full roof replacement. They took pictures, submitted evidence and waited... and waited... and waited... January came, still no response from USAA (I had called and left several messages at this point, the provider had as well). I called the main office and asked to speak to a supervisor, and they finally responded to the work request and asked for more photos. The provider sent the roofer back out to take more pictures and resubmitted them. Two more weeks go by, nothing. Mind you I have called every other day only to get a voicemail. I call the main office again, and they tell me they need to send out an engineer, fine, whatever, fix my freaking house already.

The engineer came out, took two more weeks to submit his report. USAA got the report and told me they are not liable for anything except the interior. Meanwhile, the engineer got a check for $3,000, and I have to cover everything for my roof. Shady AF. A property claim, filed in OCTOBER, still has not been resolved and it is currently the middle of FEBRUARY. I have been a loyal USAA customer for nearly 12 years, and I will never purchase another product from them. It's sad how far USAA has fallen. It used to be about veterans and their families; now it's just another company with somewhat restrictive new client requirement.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

I realize that the bulk of these complaints relate to the terrible way USAA handle auto claims. However, my experience goes beyond that. I have been a member for 17 years. I have had auto, homeowners policies, as well as savings, checking and credit card accounts with them as well. I currently have homeowners insurance with them that keeps increasing astronomically. I'm in the process of obtaining my insurance elsewhere. It really upsets me to see how USAA have mistreated the military community under the guise that they care. To my military family, please wake up, stop being complacent and stop being used and disrespected by USAA! Take your business elsewhere! You are just being used for their bottom line... PROFIT!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

Our house caught fire in March 2018. We have been fighting with USAA ever since to reach a settlement and get our home rebuilt. Immediately after the fire, the adjusters came and made us feel that they would be helping. Instead, they offered a ridiculously low figure and disappeared. It became our problem to figure out the total damage and propose an appropriate amount. After nearly 12 months, the settlement number we have reached with them is nearly 3X their initial offer. We're still struggling to get them to pay that amount.

Overall, we have been shocked at how our claim was handled. USAA has treated us like an enemy and not a customer. Every step has been difficult including communicating with their adjusters. Partly this is due to them being overcommitted and the many fires/hurricanes and other disasters that occurred this year. I have empathy for those other people but why did USAA take so long to reach a fair settlement with us? Why did they delay every decision and make us grovel for simple coverage of obviously necessary items. We have much more to say about this but want to let others know...these people are not your friends and they will fight you to the last for every dollar of payment. Don't believe that you will be treated fairly just because you are a veteran.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I don't know what happened to this company. They used to be extremely helpful and had excellent customer service so I decided based on past experience to do a bundle deal on Homeowners, Windstorm and Auto Insurance. I also opened a checking account ready to change my direct deposit to go into the account. I was told before my insurance can start there are documents that I needed to sign. They told me to log in and sign. I have tried and tried. My account is locked. I called tech support and it was reset. As soon as I logged in it locked again. I have spent hours and hours talking to these people and each one tells me the problem is corrected but it's not. I call and call and they tell me they can't prove my identity. They ask for information of my driver's license. I look straight at it and answer all their questions which every time is a waste of my time because they say I am wrong. Then they hang up on me now.

I am supposed to have insurance. I can't even send a payment for and a bank account I can't access. So strange how they verified me to open the accounts with the same information and now nothing. I am a disabled veteran. I can't handle stress. It makes me physically and mentally ill. I switched to USAA for good customer service and now I am completely frustrated. Plus there is not an office anywhere close that I could walk into. I guess I will call a different insurance agency and kiss the money I put into my account goodbye as no one will help me there. Beware please. They seem nice until they get your money and then they are a nightmare. Thanks for reading.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

We filed a claim in August 2018 for water damage from a burst furnace/hot water heater pipe. They changed their reason for not honoring our claim 5 times. They are disorganized, un-businesslike and rude. Their marketing is bogus. I understand that USAA this was once an excellent firm - not anymore as far as I'm concerned. We're going back to Safeco.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

USAA waves the Red White & Blue. That is their marketing ploy. The representatives that answer the phone are all very pleasant and make you feel special. Don't be fooled like we were. They make you feel wonderful right up until the time you have a claim. When it comes to paying claims they are horrible. We had an auto claim that is now over 5 months old and they have still not paid for the loss. We had a homeowners claim that is now over 5 months old and they have not paid that either. Worst insurance company we've ever had. Luckily were in a financial position that we can afford an attorney to pursue USAA and are doing so.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I had a claim on my garage door. They lowballed me. I submitted another estimate and they went even lower??? Nearly 1K lower than either estimate. I have never had a more frustrating experience or felt like I was being cheated when I put in a claim with any other company...and I'm 62. I'm going back to Allstate where they value their customers and don't rip you off. They are not worth using.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

We are former customers of USAA and sang their praises until we filed a claim. Before the claim, whenever we called in with questions, the reps were always very friendly and helpful. But when it comes to honoring what they say over the phone all bets are off. Most calls are not recorded so it will be your word against the rep's word and USAA will always side with the rep. We were told that items were covered over the phone that truly weren't in our policy. We were never sent the full policy (only the summary pages) so make sure you request it and comb through it carefully (every other company will send you a copy of the full policy). We had a huge service failure that made it to the CEO's office. In the end they sided with the rep. (Why would she admit to a mistake when the call was never recorded?) They wouldn't even take the blame for never sending us a copy of the policy. (How is that not illegal?)

Also, before they estimated the value of our home for the policy they temporarily insured us for the purchase price of our home (which includes land!) When (on their timeline) THEY decided on the value of our structure and the contents (which was obviously lower than the purchase price) they never gave us credit for the extra amount we paid to insure land (no other insurance company does this). This should have been a huge red flag. We now use CHUBB which will always side with the customer. Do your homework before going with USAA.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

I am still waiting for a simple water damage claim to be paid over 4 months from the incident. My home is unsafe for my young children. USAA has poor communication and does not seem to care. They have left me without a functioning kitchen. It is hazardous to my family. I have done everything on my end. They don't want to pay for my damage or care that my family is unsafe. They do not treat veterans or their families respectfully. Don't waste your money, it is not worth it.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I've been a member for 14 years and made a mistake in getting a home mortgage with them. They have paid the wrong property tax and now homeowner's insurance. Mismanagement of escrow funds and negligence. I'm fed up and looking to take legal action.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

If you ask them if something is covered by your homeowner's policy, they'll force you to submit a claim to get an answer. Then, even if you abandon the claim, they'll report it to all the insurance claim history aggregators, causing you endless problems and extra cost any time you go to buy insurance in the future. Even though the claim was abandoned and they never paid out a cent.

USAA expert review by Matthew Brodsky

USAA was founded in 1922 and serves members of the military and their families. The company offers insurance policies, banking, investment options and other financial services.

• Good pricing: USAA is known to have some of the most competitively priced policies available.

• Additional services: With its home insurance policies, USAA offers identity theft coverage should any homeowners personal belongings be used to steal their identity.

• Variety: USAA offers many types of homeowner insurance, and they are a one-stop insurance option, meaning policyholders can also purchase other types of insurance through the company.

• Service: USAA only provides its services to members of the military and their families, so it’s not a viable option for every American. Americans who haven’t been affiliated with the military do not have access to the company’s services.

• Consumer service: USAA Homeowners Insurance has complaints filed against it, indicating that policyholders are not always happy with the service they have received.

• Best for: Traditional homeowners, condo owners, farm owners, mobile home owners

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky