Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.05/5

USAA sells auto and property coverage to members of the U.S. military. The company has homeowners insurance policies for all active and retired military personnel and their immediate family members. It offers several coverage and discount options for eligible households. You can get free USAA insurance quotes online.

BOTTOM LINE

USAA provides affordable homeowners insurance for military members and their families. You can get quotes for its customizable policies online or with an agent. The company offers several discounts.

PROS

• Several policy add-ons
  • Various discounts
  • Competitive rates

CONS

• Limited local branches
  • Available only to military families

Top USAA Homeowners Insurance Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA Homeowners Insurance?

USAA has been first rate. Recently, we had our hot water heater blow up and pretty much mess up our entire basement. Once we called USAA, they got right on the case... they were very easy to deal with. We love the everything about them.

USAA is great for everything. Care about you and do it right. They provide great customer service and products, and they respond fast and efficiently. They have the best service for the cost than anyone, and never let you down. USAA is fabulous and dependable.

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Quotewizard

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Quotewizard

Get started

What is USAA homeowners insurance?

USAA is an insurance provider that offers affordable home coverage for military members and their families. You can customize its policies to your specific needs, with coverage for dwellings, belongings, earthquake damages, loss of use, personal liability and more. It also provides policy add-ons including options for flooding, rental properties and valuable belongings.

You can get free quotes online or through a local agent, and USAA offers discounts for bundled policies, a claims-free history, protective devices and more.

USAA homeowners insurance coverage

USAA offers a few different coverage options for single-family homes, condos, mobile homes, farms and rental properties. Your policy might include coverage for the home itself as well as other structures on your property, such as garages, storage sheds, fences and driveways. USAA homeowners policies also cover belongings, weather damage, theft, vandalism and loss of use of the property.

You can also include personal liability for added protection in the event you’re responsible for someone’s injury or property damage. USAA provides umbrella insurance for damages exceeding your policy limits.

USAA home insurance quotes and rates

To see your customized USAA homeowners rate, complete an online quote request or contact its 24/7 support line. Costs vary depending on your home and location, with premiums typically ranging from $500 to $2,500 per year. This cost is usually paid out of your mortgage’s escrow account, but you may pay it in full or in installments if you don’t have a mortgage.

USAA offers several price-saving options, including multipolicy, protective device and claims-free discounts. You can also save on your premium by choosing a higher deductible.

USAA homeowners insurance FAQ

Who is eligible for USAA homeowners insurance?
Active-duty military, veterans and honorably discharged service members qualify for USAA’s insurance coverage — as well as their spouses, widows or widowers, unremarried former spouses, children and stepchildren.
Does USAA homeowners insurance cover HVAC?
Your USAA homeowners insurance policy can cover HVAC repairs or replacements in certain cases. For example, if your equipment is damaged in a power surge, your coverage could kick in. However, home insurance often will not cover these systems; a home warranty typically offers more thorough coverage for HVAC systems.
What does USAA home insurance cover?
USAA home insurance covers fire, theft, vandalism, most weather-related events, liability and identity theft. Its coverage varies from state to state, but you can customize your policy based on your home and your needs.
Where is USAA home insurance available?
USAA homeowners insurance is available in all 50 states. Its local agents are available throughout the country.

Is USAA homeowners insurance good?

USAA is a solid option for military service members and their families — it provides affordable policies with customizable coverage. This provider has a reputation for courteous customer service, making it especially ideal for those who prefer communicating over the phone. If you’re eligible, you can request a free quote online or call its 24/7 support line to get started.

USAA Homeowners Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA Homeowners Insurance?

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

USAA is hands down the #1 insurance company in America. I submitted a claim due to a broken furnace that had sustained water damage. I began getting frustrated with my adjuster for how long it was taking. This was my first time submitting a claim and I wasn't aware of the length of time it usually takes. He was gathering information and working a bunch of other claims at the same time. I have to admit I was a little rude and even threw in the towel at one point telling my adjuster to close my claim and that it wasn’t worth the trouble. He was very patient with me throughout the whole process and didn’t give up on me. Scott at USAA really took care of me. I will continue doing business with USAA for another 20 years thanks to Scott!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2020

USAA has been first rate. Recently, we had our hot water heater blow up and pretty much mess up our entire basement. Once we called USAA, they got right on the case. They had clean started within 24 hours; assessed the damages and provided a first rate recovery company. And, they were very easy to deal with. We love the everything about them.

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

I have used several companies over the years, but USAA stands out for me. Rates are fair and customer service is easy to work with. My only concern is, they have minimums on house content coverage which I would prefer if I could determine on my own. Finally, I made a claim a few years ago when we had a break in, they handled it quickly and without issues which helped us weather the hardship.

Original review: July 23, 2020

Starting with my stepfather, our family has been protected by USAA for over 30 years. We are consistently getting dividends every year, whether we filed a claim or not. When my mom's roof suffered unseen damage due to high winds, they were there to get us the money we needed to replace the roof and the subsequent water damage.

Original review: April 28, 2020

I've been a USAA banking and insurance customer for 8 years and have always appreciated their customer service - though I am a pretty low maintenance customer. I recently filed my first claim for flood damage from renter's insurance. My representative explained the process to me, and it was fairly simple. I accounted for the damage to my belongings and I tried to be reasonable in my evaluation of the replacement cost. However, I also knew that my USAA adjuster could have argued that some of my my goods were salvageable or repairable at a lower cost than replacement. I expected a little less than I asked for, but I wasn't sure how much less.

Imagine my surprise when my agent promptly called me back (the day after I filed the claim) and replied that my valuation was too low, and they were going to pay me nearly double what I had requested. I am extremely impressed with the honesty and customer service of USAA. I've tried to beat their prices with some online comparison tools and I never could. From my experience, their low price tag comes with a high value.

Original review: March 1, 2021

Been with USAA for over 34 years but will be changing companies immediately! We had pipes burst due to freeze which poured over 2 inches of water into our Master Bedroom and Master bath. Only received one call in over 2 1/2 weeks from a USAA representative!! Horrible customer service!! All walls in the bath were soaked including cabinets and tub which shorted out and would not work. USAA posted an estimate of $595.00 to replace sheetrock in bath only which is grossly inadequate…There is No way to replace sheetrock in Bath without removing tile shower, vanities, Mirrors, Trim, Molding, Tub etc.

Demo of bath is complete and nothing but some limited trim is reusable, counter tops, tub and cabinets cracked and broke during removal. Master Bedroom walls are wet, trim coming off and no mention in estimate of replacing walls, trim, molding, and paint. Master Bedroom hardwood floor was covered in 2” of water! It is peaking and must be replaced... We sent them honest estimates ranging from 25K to 32K for repairs to our Master Bath and Master Bedroom from licensed contractors and no response.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2020

I filed for a claim to USAA by a phone call in Nov 2020, the first claim since the house was insured in 2002. During the phone call, USAA customer representative asked me if I needed its recommended contractor/estimator to proceed and I agreed. Yet I did not realize that USAA customer representative never informed me any other options: if I seek my own representation/agent… From that point, the assigned contractor would not respond my requests/calls for the claims only if USAA pressured the contractors (please see all the posts on USAA website). Surprisingly the contractors would call me to pursue a business with a higher price and lower quality.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

We have been with USAA for about 35 years. During that time, we have had several large claims for hail and hurricane damages. They always provided sufficient coverage for "good as new" repair. I couldn't be a more satisfied customer.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2020

USAA use to be great! However, since this pandemic it seems like their service and professionalism has went downhill. For the last month, I have had to deal with an indignant field adjuster and another that seemed great at first. However, he has been untrustworthy as well. I just want my home repaired and USAA just want to spend as little as possible, band-aid repairs, and ignore other aspects of the home. It has been very disheartening and frustrating dealing with them.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2020

I am very disappointed in USAA. I would not recommend them. Whenever I get the chance I make sure to share my experience and try to steer people towards any other homeowners insurance company. They might have been great years ago but to my dismay we found out firsthand just how mediocre they have become. After a storm we had damage to our roof. The roofer and the independent inspector both suggested the roof be replaced. Both warned us that if we had Eerie, State Farm, or one or two others, we would be fine but USAA didn’t stand behind their customers like they used to. Sure enough, our claim was denied while my 3 neighbors with the same problem ALL had their claims approved. Needless to say, we are getting quotes from a few other insurance companies and won’t be keeping our USAA coverage.

USAA Homeowners Insurance Company Information