Find a Homeowners Insurance partner

2. Homeowners
  3. Homeowners Insurance

4.0/5 (429 ratings)
Find a Homeowners Insurance partner

Need to insure your new home, or looking to lower your rate?

Get pricing in minutes with Lemonade

Get started

About USAA Homeowners Insurance

USAA sells auto and property coverage to members of the U.S. military. The company has homeowners insurance policies for all active and retired military personnel and their immediate family members. It offers several coverage and discount options for eligible households. You can get free USAA insurance quotes online.

Top USAA Homeowners Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

Verified

USAA is great for everything. Care about you and do it right. They provide great customer service and products, and they respond fast and efficiently. They have the best service f...

Need to insure your new home, or looking to lower your rate?

Get pricing in minutes with Lemonade

Get started

What is USAA homeowners insurance?

USAA is an insurance provider that offers affordable home coverage for military members and their families. You can customize its policies to your specific needs, with coverage for dwellings, belongings, earthquake damages, loss of use, personal liability and more. It also provides policy add-ons including options for flooding, rental properties and valuable belongings.

You can get free quotes online or through a local agent, and USAA offers discounts for bundled policies, a claims-free history, protective devices and more.

USAA homeowners insurance coverage

USAA offers a few different coverage options for single-family homes, condos, mobile homes, farms and rental properties. Your policy might include coverage for the home itself as well as other structures on your property, such as garages, storage sheds, fences and driveways. USAA homeowners policies also cover belongings, weather damage, theft, vandalism and loss of use of the property.

You can also include personal liability for added protection in the event you’re responsible for someone’s injury or property damage. USAA provides umbrella insurance for damages exceeding your policy limits.

USAA home insurance quotes and rates

To see your customized USAA homeowners rate, complete an online quote request or contact its 24/7 support line. Costs vary depending on your home and location, with premiums typically ranging from $500 to $2,500 per year. This cost is usually paid out of your mortgage’s escrow account, but you may pay it in full or in installments if you don’t have a mortgage.

USAA offers several price-saving options, including multipolicy, protective device and claims-free discounts. You can also save on your premium by choosing a higher deductible.

USAA homeowners insurance FAQ

Who is eligible for USAA homeowners insurance?
Active-duty military, veterans and honorably discharged service members qualify for USAA’s insurance coverage — as well as their spouses, widows or widowers, unremarried former spouses, children and stepchildren.
Does USAA homeowners insurance cover HVAC?
Your USAA homeowners insurance policy can cover HVAC repairs or replacements in certain cases. For example, if your equipment is damaged in a power surge, your coverage could kick in. However, home insurance often will not cover these systems; a home warranty typically offers more thorough coverage for HVAC systems.
What does USAA home insurance cover?
USAA home insurance covers fire, theft, vandalism, most weather-related events, liability and identity theft. Its coverage varies from state to state, but you can customize your policy based on your home and your needs.
Where is USAA home insurance available?
USAA homeowners insurance is available in all 50 states. Its local agents are available throughout the country.

Is USAA homeowners insurance good?

USAA is a solid option for military service members and their families — it provides affordable policies with customizable coverage. This provider has a reputation for courteous customer service, making it especially ideal for those who prefer communicating over the phone. If you’re eligible, you can request a free quote online or call its 24/7 support line to get started.

USAA Homeowners Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA Homeowners Insurance?

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

USAA is hands down the #1 insurance company in America. I submitted a claim due to a broken furnace that had sustained water damage. I began getting frustrated with my adjuster for how long it was taking. This was my first time submitting a claim and I wasn't aware of the length of time it usually takes. He was gathering information and working a bunch of other claims at the same time. I have to admit I was a little rude and even threw in the towel at one point telling my adjuster to close my claim and that it wasn’t worth the trouble. He was very patient with me throughout the whole process and didn’t give up on me. Scott at USAA really took care of me. I will continue doing business with USAA for another 20 years thanks to Scott!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2020

USAA has been first rate. Recently, we had our hot water heater blow up and pretty much mess up our entire basement. Once we called USAA, they got right on the case. They had clean started within 24 hours; assessed the damages and provided a first rate recovery company. And, they were very easy to deal with. We love the everything about them.

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2020

USAA is a reliable insurance company that does what it says it will and provides great Customer service. I have been a customer for 45 years. When I have had a claim, they handled it quickly and professionally and it was resolved to my satisfaction. I will be a USAA customer for life.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

I have used several companies over the years, but USAA stands out for me. Rates are fair and customer service is easy to work with. My only concern is, they have minimums on house content coverage which I would prefer if I could determine on my own. Finally, I made a claim a few years ago when we had a break in, they handled it quickly and without issues which helped us weather the hardship.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

USAA is prompt, reliable, and service is always outstanding. My entire family eligible for their coverage participate. All are pleased with their service. My grandson lost two roofs to storms and replacement/repair was extremely prompt. My son and my daughter both suffered water damage and they were promptly serviced with adequate damage coverage.

Original review: July 6, 2021

My house burned down 2.5 weeks ago. USAA put me and my dogs up in a one bedroom hotel in one of the worst neighborhoods in town. My dogs have now been attacked twice by other aggressive dogs at the hotel, USAA doesn’t seem to care as they are making no effort to find me something permanent. And I have had virtually NO communication with my “adjuster“.

Original review: June 26, 2021

USAA is attentive and thorough. I know they will follow up with me quickly on any question I have, and explain things thoroughly. I haven't had to file a claim with them for this, but friends who have tell me they process claims quickly.

Original review: June 25, 2021

My family has used USAA Homeowners Insurance for decades. My father was a USAF career fighter pilot. My parents have had USAA for at least 40+ years, and never filed a claim for their home. However, my mother now age 94 sustained roof damage during the past year, which also caused water leakage to her ceiling in the south side of her house. The estimate from USAA was less than the amount of 3 roofers in her area, and USAA says now that they will not cover the inside ceiling water damage. They just seem to create one excuse after another. The USAA adjuster named Christoper ** has been very upsetting to work with. Again, my mom is 94 and I have power of attorney to help her. I also have USAA homeowners insurance for my home at a cost $600+ per month. Together with my mother’s insurance USAA is getting nearly $1000/month for insurance premiums.

To say I am disappointed especially not to help my mother cover the cost of roof repairs is a grotesque understatement. The ** advertising that USAA does to make people believe that they are there for military service members is NOT TRUE! Do not be lured into USAA Homeowners insurance because you have a career military service member in your family. It’s a scam and false advertising. Maybe if USAA took care of my mother’s roof damage, and fired Chris **, then I might consider keeping USAA. However, after many decades for both myself and my parents carrying USAA, I now plan to switch both to different insurance. USAA made many thousands of dollars off our homeowner insurance policies ... far more that the roof replacement costs for my mother’s home! Do NOT use USAA for homeowner's insurance. ... When you eventually need their help to file a claim after decades of coverage, USAA is NOT there!!!!

Original review: June 12, 2021

USSA covers everything I need as far as insurance, home, auto, life. They also have banking services, credit cards. They honor the veterans with their products. Their children get the same benefits as their parents.

Original review: June 11, 2021

I have never paid a cent for any repairs to my house. Customer support is spectacular. They are always Johnny on the spot when I need help. Rates and premiums can't be beat for military. Military friendly.

USAA Homeowners Insurance Company Information