USAA Homeowners Insurance

Compare Homeowners Insurance Companies

Research top Homeowners Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

We made one claim and it was handled quickly and USAA Homeowners gave us some good advice on how to stop another. We get a rebate every year in December. Also, we are family like we were in the US army.

I am building a new home and need builder's insurance. Called USAA to inquirer on a quote, unfortunately was denied a new policy because I have too many claims. Hmmm let see... claims on rental properties which were for weather damages and water damages on residence because of plumbing issues. All claims were legitimate. So basically, I am denied a new policy because I used the one I was paying into. Wow... why remain a member? Time to be in better hands.

April of this year was a horrible month. We had a bad hailstorm in which I filed a hail damage claim to my house. The first time adjusters came out, there were three of them and the supervisor basically stated they were not going to cover this roof due to the expense of the roof. I have had to fight tooth and nail with about decking, radiate barrier. This has been the worst experience. Then to top it off I have been paying over 140 a month for the past 15 for my expensive jewelry. I had $70,000 worth of jewelry stolen. They had investigator come to my house and treat me like a criminal. Since then they still stammering to pay for items. What is the purpose of an appraisal when they don't follow it. Who know in the end how much I'll come up with. The company totally disgusts me. Over the last 15 years they have turned from great insurance company to just plain money grubbing corporation who cares nothing for the people they work with.

No problems while I am paying my bills and not making a claim. Once you make a claim, they drag their feet forever and you have to fight them every step of the way to get paid. My main claims adjuster and his boss well so rude. I was on the phone every other day trying to get them to do their job. You think at a time when you are most stressed out because you have to move your family out of your house and into temporary housing, they would be responsive. Nope. Zero ** empathy.

I have started the long, slow process of moving my accounts out of USAA. When I called to drop my auto insurance, the guy on the phone try to convince me not to move. After explaining all the difficulties I had with home insurance division, he was speechless. USAA divisions, you have lost a very profitable customer because of your home insurance division. I am so disgusted with the service, I can't ever persuade myself to ever do business. Closed accounts: 1 auto, 1 home, 2 checking, 2 savings, 1 529, 1 401K, 2 brokerage, 1 credit card. Seventeen year customer. Get the picture?

I've been a USAA member for 17 years and used to love the company but now I hate them. They used to be a company committed to serving the military community and veterans and now they exist solely to screw you. While I was in the hospital recuperating from a gunshot wound, someone vandalized and burglarized my house which has been insured with USAA for 17 years with no claims. USAA has jerked me around for two years, always requesting more information and never returning phone calls and finally told me they refused to pay anything. I have lost a lifetime of memorabilia and expensive items. Every time I see one of their commercials about a member for life it makes me want to vomit... Do not trust USAA!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

I have been with USAA since I joined the military. Started with just insurance and then recently got banking services. I had a claim one day after changing my property insurance over and it was a nightmare. After filing the claim and being contacted by a "investigator" I knew something was not right. I sent in pictures and all information required BUT because I couldn't meet with her my claim was never processed.

Not only that she would call so much that it was very harassing. I contacted her supervisor who didn't care at all that I was letting her know that I was being harassed and even so it made no difference. So here we are in July and I am being told that all of my accounts will be closed due to them saying I had made a false claim, back in April even after telling them that the lady wasn't even doing the claim since I couldn't meet with her. Needless to say I am having a hard time and USAA has yet to care at all. After me getting my credit card and they took the money since the account is being closed before it's supposed to EVEN though that was on them and not me. I surely have had it up to the max with USAA.

I have been a loyal customer of USAA for nearly 20 years. USAA claims to support the military family, but in actuality they are assisting in killing mine. I'm a hundred percent disabled veteran with two children. USAA has failed to take responsibility of their preferred contractor. USAA has a contract with contractor connections, and together they claim that they guarantee the work of their preferred contractors for 3 years. Which is not the case at all. I have taken this matter all the way to the office of the CEO of USAA, and they refused to assist in this matter. I paid my premium on time every month for the last 20 years. Now they refuse to assist me.

On December 7, 2015 No Limits Construction was paid by USAA for the following service.They were hired to replace all of the drywall after water backup in my home. Mold removal from the water was done by Service Masters, and Eco Systems Industrial Hygienist was hired to ensure that there was no more mold growth, and the house was cleared of environmental hazards and mold prior to No Limits Construction started there work. No Limits Construction was paid a total of $11, 834. 40 for their work. They were hired by USAA as a Premier Contractor. On July 20, 2016, I noticed that there was mold growing in the sump area, and I informed USAA of the problem.

On August 4, 2016 a representative from USAA came to my house about the mold growing, after my house had been repaired about 4 months ago. They determined that the door that was placed on the sump pump area when the house was repaired caused no ventilation in that area, and caused mold to grow rapidly in that area. This is not due to my fault, it is due to the contractor placing a door in that area, where there was previously none. Now this must be fixed. I am a 100 percent disabled veteran with severe health problems. It has been over a week and I have not had any communications about this problem, and plans on who is going to fix this problem. In the meantime mold is rapidly growing and this interferes with my health. It is unsafe for me to stay in my home with mold growing. I am requesting to be placed in a hotel until this problem is taken care of, as soon as possible.

That space has been opened every since I bought this home in 2002, so air could flow from the sump area, therefore condensation could not build up, and no mold issue would occur. But When No Limits Construction did not follow proper procedures and closed up the sump area, condensation built up, and mold begin to grow in the work area. They were suppose to leave my property in the same condition prior to the water damage. So by not following the scope of work they caused more damage to my home, by blocking air circulation and black mold started growing. On August 11, 2016 I was informed by USAA that No Limits Construction agreed to remove the barrier, and also to remove the mold. To this date, I still have the barrier and Black Mold still growing in my home.

No Limits Construction came to my home and set up professional size humidifiers in the sump area, and also placed black plastic over the closest doors leading to the sump area, and stated that they would be back to finish mold removal. But instead a week later they returned with an Industrial Hygienist which they hired and personal associate. No Limits Construction hired a Environmental Hygienist to state that the mold was not caused by the enclosure they installed. Which was insulting, because they were trying to take advantage of a 100 Percent Disabled Female Veteran, by causing serious health conditions and financial hardship for a reckless error that they caused.

USAA stated that they would pay for a second opinion for the cause of the mold. Eco Systems. Eco Systems determined that the cause of the Mold was due to the enclosure that No Limits Construction installed, caused no ventilation and condensation and Mold to grow. Eco Systems informed USAA via phone On October 3, 2016 of their professional findings. Therefore that is two inspectors that stated the mold was caused by their improper installation.

From October 3, 2016 until October 20, 2016, I constantly sent emails to USAA emails concerning the mold growth, and my emails were ignored. I called No Limits Construction and they also ignored my phone calls. I am a 100 Percent Disabled Veteran, and I fight on the behalf of Veterans for them to get the benefits they they deserve. I currently have nearly a half of million veterans that I support on a daily basis. I enlisted their support in getting USAA to respond to this environmental hazard caused by No Limits Construction LLC. Only after hundreds of emails from concerned veterans made complaints to USAA about the unprofessional treatment and service I was receiving did I finally get a response.

On October 27, I emailed USAA and asked again for the report from Eco Systems to determine the cause of the mold. Months have passed and I still haven't received the report from Eco Systems yet, USAA disapproved the claim and stated that it was a matter between me and Eco Systems. They were in receipt of the report since October 27, 2016, and still failed to use the report in rendering a decision in the causation of the mold.

It is clear to see by the Environmental Report by EcoSystems and the Claims Agent that inspected my home sent by USAA that the cause of the mold is caused by No Limits Construction. They stated they would take care of the situation, then backed out of it. USAA stated that they were responsible for lodging while mold removal and laboratory testing from the industrial hygienist came back. They were not willing to pay for appropriate lodging for my family. I am a 100 Percent Disabled Veteran, and I can not afford to pay for hotel lodging.

No Limit Construction is aware of this, and knew that, would prevent them from removing the mold. They would have caused me and my family to be homeless while mold was removed. This is despicable unprofessional, and I pray that the board can rectify this complaint. This Black Mold is causing additional illness to me and my family, I survived 20 years of service to my country in the military, and I would hate to die at the hands of a contractor that does not take responsibility for their actions!

A few weeks ago a storm ripped off chunks of my roof, letting water in and flooding my upstairs master bedroom and downstairs bedroom. When the adjuster finally came out 3-4 days later, and then told my wife (I work on the road) that the holes in my roof would not be covered and that particle board was more than sufficient repairs. Absolutely ZERO communication from our rep. Treated rudely like I was bothering them when I called. Just find out what was going on. On top of the "sufficient repairs" the contractor did it also rains inside my house now! What joy! I am receiving 1000 dollars to refloor, reroof and reinsulate my home. Thanks USAA. You're the best!!!

As with so many of the other complaints on this page, I have been a loyal USAA member since I was 16. I am now 50. I have had two claims on my insurance both happen to be this year. The first resulted in the company that USAA sent to my home recommending a new roof for my home. After approximately, 2 months and 3 more visits from people USAA sent the claim was denied. During this time another problem occurred that I was told not to tie to the original claim but to start a new claim. It took a month for them to deny this claim.

This was denied because the damage occurred over time even though I was blind to the damage and the fact that I told them about this during the first claim was used as a reason even though they told me to do that. Needless to say, my business with USAA is finished and I am pursuing legal options. With the recent complaints I see on this page, I am wondering if there is a class action complaint in the future.

If you listen to their commercials or talk to their customer service, you'll get the impression that USAA is all about their customers and serving the veteran and/or active duty member. But when it comes to insuring your home in Florida, USAA doesn't care if you're an active service member, veteran or retiree... they're going to jack up your rates to make you drop them as an insurance carrier.

Apparently USAA doesn't want to underwrite policies in Florida anymore, so they're tripling or quadrupling their annual rates for coverage. My own policy that used to be $2,800 annually has gone up to $8,915 without warning. Competitive rates with other carriers are priced around $3,000 annually for the same coverage... that tells me that USAA is intent on driving their members away from them for home coverage.

Talking to friends is what prompted me to check my current policy. Since the homeowner's policy is something my wife was coordinating, she trusted blindly that USAA would never charge its members more than the going rate for a product or service, and they definitely wouldn't overcharge us. After all, they were started by service members for service members... but nowadays, I guess it's all about the bottom line and the loyalty to the service member is no more. If you haven't checked and compared your policy rates in-a-while, I recommend to check the numbers as fast as possible... the time for trusting USAA has passed.

I was renting a house in Colorado going on three years. The illegal aliens that my landlord hired in November to roof the house in November turned into a fiasco. After the roofers destroyed the electrical lines by mistake and hiding it caused me to make a claim for coverage. I was told by USAA to allow the landlord in the house without me being there or a representative there at the house or they would not cover my losses. After I contacted a Kathy ** (a director) they assumed a limited; and be it known, a limited liability and issued a check for hotel expenses and it took an Act of Congress.

They paid me for limited losses and demanded a receipt for a private chromatograph that blew up as well. They have refused to pay for that loss and demanded a receipt. I provided the receipt and the adjuster denied it because I didn't have enough details for them to pay on it. Really? This company has taken advantage of me and I am still waiting to get this loss processed. I cancelled them after that and found another renters insurance policy. USAA you suck!

I felt the need to write a review concerning USAA. They are always advertising how great they are. Had one claim last year with home insurance. No communication whatsoever with me after writing them twenty times. I hired a public adjuster still couldn't get a call back. After 9 months they informed us out of 75000 they will give us 10000. So I am suing them. I have every piece of documentation they need but they didn't follow thru with anything. They said because I bought the things with business checks which they knew the first day when they received the documentations and it's my business. I can buy with any checks I want.

I switched from State Farm of 40 years because I relocated to Florida and thought this would be a good time to switch to USAA. This has been a horrible mistake. I have water leaking into my house around lights and speakers and it has been 15 days since I have made a claim. Now they are stating that they will only cover the interior drywall repair and will not cover the roof repair. I just bought this house in Dec. 16 and the leak just started after a huge rain storm a couple of weeks ago and the home is only 9 years old. This does not make a lot of sense since there has not been a leak since I purchased the house.

My deductible is also $3870 with the repair on the interior costing a little under $5000.00 and it is funny I got an estimate from a roofing company and they could repair the roof but will not warranty because it has severe wind damage. They will repair the roof and interior for a fraction of "the company" USAA wanted me to use and charge me up to $5000.00. I will be filing a formal complaint with the Florida Insurance Commissioner. If anyone else needs the website it is **.

My husband and I have been insured by USAA for over 40 years. Our homeowners' insurance rebuild cost has been $680,000 for the last several years. This year when our renewal policy arrived, we received a letter from USAA telling us they were now using Xactware to estimate rebuild cost, and based on their program, our rebuild cost would be $486,000. Our building is continuing to build in our community and homes like ours are selling in the high $800,000 to $900,000 so we know that our home cannot be duplicated for less than $680,000. We asked USAA to show us an explanation for our prior rebuild cost and their new estimated rebuild cost so they sent a representative from a company, Mueller, to look at our home, take photos and provide them a report.

Based on the Mueller report, they revised their estimated rebuild cost to $536,000. We called again after receiving the most recent rebuild estimate and again asked for an explanation. The representative we talked with, Alex, was most polite and professional and explained USAA estimates are based on the average cost of rebuilding in our community using their Xactware Software program and they would choose the person or company to rebuild our home in the event of a catastrophic event. We would not be able to choose our former builder to replicate our home. This was brand new information to us and we have not yet determined whether other insurance companies have the same protocol - Using a software program to estimate cost and choosing the building rather than allowing the homeowner to choose the building.

But we certainly found this information unsettling in view of our annual cost of over $2000 for our homeowners' policy and the escalating USAA homeowners insurance cost we have encountered in recent years. After over 40 years with USAA, we have gathered our declarations pages from all of our insurance coverage currently provided by USAA and sending them for quotes from other insurance companies. If you have homeowners' coverage with USAA, I would encourage to inquire about the details - How they estimate coverage and whether you or USAA would choose your new building in the event of a catastrophic event.

It makes me sad to write this review as, in past years, we have had excellent service from USAA. I would advise others to shop before choosing USAA. The customer service has definitely declined in the last 5 to 8 years. Although customer representatives are polite, they have not been properly trained to answer customer questions - Not the fault of the representative, but the fault of USAA for inadequate training before putting a representative on the phones.

I have been a member of USAA for 56 years. During that time I used my home insurance twice. I called today to discuss roof damage due to high winds. I was treated very rudely by an extremely condescending woman who interrupted me constantly. It was clear she had no desire to help me, she just wanted off the phone as soon as possible. For a company that advertises service to the military and their families I am shocked by the duplicity. After a lifetime, I am now looking for a different insurance company. They clearly have no regard for long term policy holders.

Great for deposit accounts, bad for insurance. My wife and I have been with USAA for many years with their banking products and loved them, so when we bought our house we naturally chose them as our insurance company. Needless to say, that seems to have been a mistake. Our roof was damaged over the winter due the massive wind storms we had, so we got ahold of a contractor who told us our whole roof should be replaced. The bulk of the damage was in one area, but there was minor damage across the whole roof that could lead to bigger problems later.

We filed our claim over two months ago and are still waiting. During this time we've had several more heavy wind/rain storms. USAA sent an adjuster from North Carolina (we live in Ohio), who not only told us to get ten more years out of our roof (we literally have shingles that are warping and barely still attached and our gutters are so full of shingle grit that they are pulling away from the house), but also told our contractors they should do something that's illegal under our state's building codes. I fully understand that a contractor will usually push for what will get them the most money, but after seeing the pictures of our roof, we were inclined to agree with their decision.

I am incredibly disappointed with a company I used to be proud to be a customer of. We'd already had to raise our deductible because they jacked up the rates in our area and now we just seem to be getting the runaround on our claim. These guys were awesome when they only had deposit accounts, but I would steer clear of their insurance. Multiple other customers of our contractor have already gotten their roofs fully replaced while we're forced to sit and watch as our roof gets worse then fret about having to repair those parts individually as they deteriorate (which will cost a ton). This is our first and only claim and most likely our last year with USAA insurance.

I have had USAA renter/homeowner insurance since 1992 and would definitely recommend USAA. I've filed a handful of claims and they were always handled professionally. Each time they paid the claim in a timely matter.

I've been a customer of USAA for 35 years. I sold my condo in October, 2016 and put all of my furniture and items in storage for 4 months. When I sold my condo I contacted USAA and explained my items would be in storage until I bought and renovated the place I was buying. On November 8th, 2016 I bought a townhouse. I contacted USAA for homeowners insurance but also told them my furniture and personal belongings would be in storage indefinitely. The moving company required that everything in storage be covered by insurance. I trusted that USAA had provided me with the correct insurance to cover both my townhouse but my items in storage. On February 1st, 2017 I physically had my items from storage moved to my new residence. Unfortunately there were a number of items broken and not delivered. The moving company had 120 days per their contract to find my items.

Unfortunately after 60 days they sent me a check for $132.00 at 60 cents a pound for the items packed and broken by them. I was advised to contact my insurance carrier as the items were not found. When I contacted USAA I was told by several individuals that my renters insurance was cancelled when I purchased my homeowners insurance and since they only keep messages for 90 days they had no record of what my phone call consisted of and therefore they would not reimburse me for the items that were not delivered. I was very disappointed in the way this was handled. Their decision to pay nothing was based on their inability to have my phone call tape available. Nice customer service from a company that I've been a customer of for the past 35 years. Thank You USAA.

I have been in the military for 10 years. I have had Navy's Federal for insurance and USAA for banking. I wanted to keep all my services together before I got out. I switched to USAA Valuable and Renters Insurance and two days later my home was broken into. A few minor things were taken, but it was still my items. I made a claim for two televisions, a watch and a fire stick. That's all.

After sending in pictures, contacting Walmart for receipts that they were unable to get because of time, and not being able to tell them who got my the fire stick for Christmas and my watch for my anniversary I was passed on to a special investigator. I guess because my "spouse" couldn't be reached and I didn't have enough information they didn't want to handle my claim. The person they have harassing me Sandra ** is terrible! I will never ever do insurance with USAA again - I'm also thinking about changing back to Navy Federal. By far the worst experience for me and my children.

I've been with USAA for insurance for over 26 years - starting as a second lieutenant in the US Army. I have seen the steady decline in their support to customers, ending with my recent homeowner claim. Much of my roof was damaged over the winter to the point of leaking. I filed a claim and scheduled the repair. USAA only wants to do things electronically and their electronic systems all suck. After remaining silent for over a month, despite multiple attempts to get a live agent on the phone, I got the electronic notification from USAA that they would not pay the claim. If you are a young service member - do NOT BUY USAA's hype. They do not support you any better than another insurance company... They are frauds.

We had a great experience with it USAA Homeowners claim. Our water heater busted and flooded our whole bottom floor. The water mitigation (removal of water damage) was handled quickly and the build back was processed quickly as well. We had hardwood floors, carpet padding, kitchen cabinetry and more... All sorted in 3 weeks. Thank you so much!!!

In Oct. '64, I began driving (on my father's USAA policy). When I was commissioned in 1970, I followed in my father's footsteps - I choose USAA. For the next 47 years, I was bombarded by USAA's incessant advertising. Basically the gist was always the same - "Don't worry soldier - wherever you are, we will ALWAYS protect you!!" I always believed their story. Then 2 weeks ago, all hell broke loose in our lives. We are now retired, and have been living in our brand new home for 18 months. An overhead, 400-pound wooden beam snapped loose. The only thing keeping it from crashing to the floor (and killing us) was a single sheet of sheetrock. I immediately filed a claim with USAA. Long story short - the claim WAS REJECTED!! "Sorry, sir - your accident was a result of shoddy workmanship, BY THE BUILDER. We comply with NM law - the blame rests with the builder. You might try going through your builder."

All fine and well, EXCEPT 18 months ago, the builder quit building homes, folded his tent and faded into the dark fog of night. Yep - he's a real dirt bag!! One of those builders. Now, here we stand, within months of age 70. We have never been in trouble with the law; never bounced a check and NEVER had any financial issues (our FICO score is currently 766). Yet we are now looking at filing bankruptcy. Our meager financial savings will be instantly depleted - they could NEVER cover the repair costs.

USAA's attitude is straight-forward - sorry buddy, but we operate by The Book - OUR book. It would be one thing if we had lived our lives as financial deadbeats, but that is not the case. We have ALWAYS lived frugal lives. LOOK what that got us!!! Now, every time I see one of those USAA commercials on TV, I must turn off the TV. That jingle about "being for the warriors and their families" makes me want to throw up. With a clear conscience, I CANNOT recommend USAA to today's young members of the force. Believe me - they aren't going to protect you and your family.

I have used USAA for over 10 years. They are always helpful and very knowledgeable. Their customer service is awesome. I have used one other insurance company and was not as pleased.

I was hopeful that if the time ever came that I needed to file a claim from my homeowners policy that USAA would take care of me under difficult circumstances. This was not the case. I had water damage that had started before I purchased the home in a upstairs bathroom but only became aware of it when it leaked through my ceiling below. My claim was denied with very little assistance and an incorrect observation from the adjuster. I'm highly disappointed that after paying in the neighborhood of $35,000 dollars year to date on this policy that this is what it comes to. Enjoy the free cash. No wonder insurance company CEO's are some of the highest paid.

I had a serious windstorm loss to roof claim and USAA not only processed the claim quickly but allowed for an improvement to chimney flashing. Excellent!

USAA used to be outstanding a decade or more ago, but then their Customer Service became unresponsive and openly unfriendly. Their major focus nowadays is to waste customer's time with annual auto updates that are required in order for them to find ways to reduce the insurance coverage they provide. Whenever I call to get help or ask questions, I now have to go through a phone gauntlet of automated options to try to get to a real person, but usually I'm unsuccessful. USAA was established to support members of the US Armed Forces; it appears that they have changed their mission to serve their corporate officers and stockholders instead.

I would certainly be one of the 57% described in the NerdWallet web review who would not recommend USAA Homeowners Insurance. It is likely that and even higher percentage would not recommend them for insurance for a rental property. USAA does not cover small leaks lasting more than 14 days, whether you know about the leak or not, nor do they cover massive sudden leaks, at least not in my situation.

I own a rental property that apparently developed a small leak underneath the sink that caused some mold. I did not know about the problem because the renters did not tell me about it. What does USAA expect me to do to protect myself inspect all potential water leaking sites in the rental unit every 13 days? One of the reasons you get insurance for rental properties is to cover you for dumb things a renter might do. I suspect there previously had been a small leak somewhere in the sink area before as there was mold beneath the sink. But then the drain pipe beneath the sink became completely disconnected and caused flooding of my unit and the unit below. That is when I became aware of the problem and immediately contacted USAA.

I assumed USAA would at least allow damages to my unit secondary to the huge acute leak that flooded the lower unit, but a month later they are still denying the claim because of the separate slow leak that caused mold. The last person I spoke to at USAA, Supervisor Bill **, admits that the flood from the disconnected pipe did damage my unit beyond the slow leak damage, but he still denies my claim after consulting with the Claims Service Director, Craig **. Mr. ** supposedly will contact me personally on Monday. Maybe I can reason with him, but I'm not holding my breath.

Below is the direct quote Mr. ** gave to justify his denying my claim. "We do not insure for loss or damage consisting of or caused directly or indirectly by any of the following regardless of (i) The cause of the excluded event or peril, or any other cause of the same lose, whether or not any other cause acts concurrently or in any sequence with the excluded cause, peril, or event to produce the loss." My wife is an attorney and she does not understand it either.

Updated on 5/13/2017: Finally got to speak to a claims supervisor after several weeks of trying. No change in their apparent view that drain water drains upwards with enough force to rise two feet and push thru a seam and seriously stain a granite countertop in my rental property even though the leak did not stain the floor beneath the sudden and accidental leak they are required to pay for. They want more evidence. Blatantly obvious photos not and the law of gravity not enough.

USAA is a responsive insurance company that quickly resolves claims. And after Hurricane Matthew knocked out the power in my neighborhood for four days, although I keep a high deductible on my policy ($1000), because of the natural disaster, I merely had to pay a $50 deductible and estimate the value of the food that I subsequently lost. The money was deposited into my account within 24 hours.

They are always more than fair with their claims experience. They are professional, helpful and fast. Unfortunately I have had to use my homeowners coverage for a whole host of things that happened after water damaged my home. They handled every aspect of the claims process, getting qualified plumbers and construction folks to one of the best flooring companies in this area. In addition they covered an almost three week stay in a very nice hotel.

Run as fast as you can. USAA Homeowners Insurance does not have its customer in high regard. They work hard to NOT COVER THEIR CUSTOMERS. We have water damage from a faulty drain? Faulty tub? Causing ceiling damage in our 2 storey house. Possible mold damage causing illnesses. Turned in claim a month and a half ago. Cannot get a return phone call. Then suddenly tonight we do get a call telling us hardly anything is covered. And $2000 deductible. I was talked down to. Felt disrespected. My family has served this country... This is just business to them and their business is avoiding helping and assisting their customers. They are without integrity. And really are about making you the consumer bear ALL FINANCIAL BURDEN. Horrible experience. Please do not use USAA INSURANCES...

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

USAA was founded in 1922 and serves members of the military and their families. The company offers insurance policies, banking, investment options and other financial services.

• Good pricing: USAA is known to have some of the most competitively priced policies available.
  • Additional services: With its home insurance policies, USAA offers identity theft coverage should any homeowners personal belongings be used to steal their identity.
  • Variety: USAA offers many types of homeowner insurance, and they are a one-stop insurance option, meaning policyholders can also purchase other types of insurance through the company.
  • Service: USAA only provides its services to members of the military and their families, so it’s not a viable option for every American. Americans who haven’t been affiliated with the military do not have access to the company’s services.
  • Consumer service: USAA Homeowners Insurance has complaints filed against it, indicating that policyholders are not always happy with the service they have received.
  • Best for Traditional homeowners, condo owners, farm owners, mobile home owners

Compare Homeowners Insurance