USAA Homeowners Insurance

Compare Homeowners Insurance Companies

Research top Homeowners Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

A few weeks ago a storm ripped off chunks of my roof, letting water in and flooding my upstairs master bedroom and downstairs bedroom. When the adjuster finally came out 3-4 days later, and then told my wife (I work on the road) that the holes in my roof would not be covered and that particle board was more than sufficient repairs. Absolutely ZERO communication from our rep. Treated rudely like I was bothering them when I called. Just find out what was going on. On top of the "sufficient repairs" the contractor did it also rains inside my house now! What joy! I am receiving 1000 dollars to refloor, reroof and reinsulate my home. Thanks USAA. You're the best!!!

As with so many of the other complaints on this page, I have been a loyal USAA member since I was 16. I am now 50. I have had two claims on my insurance both happen to be this year. The first resulted in the company that USAA sent to my home recommending a new roof for my home. After approximately, 2 months and 3 more visits from people USAA sent the claim was denied. During this time another problem occurred that I was told not to tie to the original claim but to start a new claim. It took a month for them to deny this claim.

This was denied because the damage occurred over time even though I was blind to the damage and the fact that I told them about this during the first claim was used as a reason even though they told me to do that. Needless to say, my business with USAA is finished and I am pursuing legal options. With the recent complaints I see on this page, I am wondering if there is a class action complaint in the future.

If you listen to their commercials or talk to their customer service, you'll get the impression that USAA is all about their customers and serving the veteran and/or active duty member. But when it comes to insuring your home in Florida, USAA doesn't care if you're an active service member, veteran or retiree... they're going to jack up your rates to make you drop them as an insurance carrier.

Apparently USAA doesn't want to underwrite policies in Florida anymore, so they're tripling or quadrupling their annual rates for coverage. My own policy that used to be $2,800 annually has gone up to $8,915 without warning. Competitive rates with other carriers are priced around $3,000 annually for the same coverage... that tells me that USAA is intent on driving their members away from them for home coverage.

Talking to friends is what prompted me to check my current policy. Since the homeowner's policy is something my wife was coordinating, she trusted blindly that USAA would never charge its members more than the going rate for a product or service, and they definitely wouldn't overcharge us. After all, they were started by service members for service members... but nowadays, I guess it's all about the bottom line and the loyalty to the service member is no more. If you haven't checked and compared your policy rates in-a-while, I recommend to check the numbers as fast as possible... the time for trusting USAA has passed.

I was renting a house in Colorado going on three years. The illegal aliens that my landlord hired in November to roof the house in November turned into a fiasco. After the roofers destroyed the electrical lines by mistake and hiding it caused me to make a claim for coverage. I was told by USAA to allow the landlord in the house without me being there or a representative there at the house or they would not cover my losses. After I contacted a Kathy ** (a director) they assumed a limited; and be it known, a limited liability and issued a check for hotel expenses and it took an Act of Congress.

They paid me for limited losses and demanded a receipt for a private chromatograph that blew up as well. They have refused to pay for that loss and demanded a receipt. I provided the receipt and the adjuster denied it because I didn't have enough details for them to pay on it. Really? This company has taken advantage of me and I am still waiting to get this loss processed. I cancelled them after that and found another renters insurance policy. USAA you suck!

I felt the need to write a review concerning USAA. They are always advertising how great they are. Had one claim last year with home insurance. No communication whatsoever with me after writing them twenty times. I hired a public adjuster still couldn't get a call back. After 9 months they informed us out of 75000 they will give us 10000. So I am suing them. I have every piece of documentation they need but they didn't follow thru with anything. They said because I bought the things with business checks which they knew the first day when they received the documentations and it's my business. I can buy with any checks I want.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

I switched from State Farm of 40 years because I relocated to Florida and thought this would be a good time to switch to USAA. This has been a horrible mistake. I have water leaking into my house around lights and speakers and it has been 15 days since I have made a claim. Now they are stating that they will only cover the interior drywall repair and will not cover the roof repair. I just bought this house in Dec. 16 and the leak just started after a huge rain storm a couple of weeks ago and the home is only 9 years old. This does not make a lot of sense since there has not been a leak since I purchased the house.

My deductible is also $3870 with the repair on the interior costing a little under $5000.00 and it is funny I got an estimate from a roofing company and they could repair the roof but will not warranty because it has severe wind damage. They will repair the roof and interior for a fraction of "the company" USAA wanted me to use and charge me up to $5000.00. I will be filing a formal complaint with the Florida Insurance Commissioner. If anyone else needs the website it is **.

My husband and I have been insured by USAA for over 40 years. Our homeowners' insurance rebuild cost has been $680,000 for the last several years. This year when our renewal policy arrived, we received a letter from USAA telling us they were now using Xactware to estimate rebuild cost, and based on their program, our rebuild cost would be $486,000. Our building is continuing to build in our community and homes like ours are selling in the high $800,000 to $900,000 so we know that our home cannot be duplicated for less than $680,000. We asked USAA to show us an explanation for our prior rebuild cost and their new estimated rebuild cost so they sent a representative from a company, Mueller, to look at our home, take photos and provide them a report.

Based on the Mueller report, they revised their estimated rebuild cost to $536,000. We called again after receiving the most recent rebuild estimate and again asked for an explanation. The representative we talked with, Alex, was most polite and professional and explained USAA estimates are based on the average cost of rebuilding in our community using their Xactware Software program and they would choose the person or company to rebuild our home in the event of a catastrophic event. We would not be able to choose our former builder to replicate our home. This was brand new information to us and we have not yet determined whether other insurance companies have the same protocol - Using a software program to estimate cost and choosing the building rather than allowing the homeowner to choose the building.

But we certainly found this information unsettling in view of our annual cost of over $2000 for our homeowners' policy and the escalating USAA homeowners insurance cost we have encountered in recent years. After over 40 years with USAA, we have gathered our declarations pages from all of our insurance coverage currently provided by USAA and sending them for quotes from other insurance companies. If you have homeowners' coverage with USAA, I would encourage to inquire about the details - How they estimate coverage and whether you or USAA would choose your new building in the event of a catastrophic event.

It makes me sad to write this review as, in past years, we have had excellent service from USAA. I would advise others to shop before choosing USAA. The customer service has definitely declined in the last 5 to 8 years. Although customer representatives are polite, they have not been properly trained to answer customer questions - Not the fault of the representative, but the fault of USAA for inadequate training before putting a representative on the phones.

I have been a member of USAA for 56 years. During that time I used my home insurance twice. I called today to discuss roof damage due to high winds. I was treated very rudely by an extremely condescending woman who interrupted me constantly. It was clear she had no desire to help me, she just wanted off the phone as soon as possible. For a company that advertises service to the military and their families I am shocked by the duplicity. After a lifetime, I am now looking for a different insurance company. They clearly have no regard for long term policy holders.

Great for deposit accounts, bad for insurance. My wife and I have been with USAA for many years with their banking products and loved them, so when we bought our house we naturally chose them as our insurance company. Needless to say, that seems to have been a mistake. Our roof was damaged over the winter due the massive wind storms we had, so we got ahold of a contractor who told us our whole roof should be replaced. The bulk of the damage was in one area, but there was minor damage across the whole roof that could lead to bigger problems later.

We filed our claim over two months ago and are still waiting. During this time we've had several more heavy wind/rain storms. USAA sent an adjuster from North Carolina (we live in Ohio), who not only told us to get ten more years out of our roof (we literally have shingles that are warping and barely still attached and our gutters are so full of shingle grit that they are pulling away from the house), but also told our contractors they should do something that's illegal under our state's building codes. I fully understand that a contractor will usually push for what will get them the most money, but after seeing the pictures of our roof, we were inclined to agree with their decision.

I am incredibly disappointed with a company I used to be proud to be a customer of. We'd already had to raise our deductible because they jacked up the rates in our area and now we just seem to be getting the runaround on our claim. These guys were awesome when they only had deposit accounts, but I would steer clear of their insurance. Multiple other customers of our contractor have already gotten their roofs fully replaced while we're forced to sit and watch as our roof gets worse then fret about having to repair those parts individually as they deteriorate (which will cost a ton). This is our first and only claim and most likely our last year with USAA insurance.

I have had USAA renter/homeowner insurance since 1992 and would definitely recommend USAA. I've filed a handful of claims and they were always handled professionally. Each time they paid the claim in a timely matter.

I've been a customer of USAA for 35 years. I sold my condo in October, 2016 and put all of my furniture and items in storage for 4 months. When I sold my condo I contacted USAA and explained my items would be in storage until I bought and renovated the place I was buying. On November 8th, 2016 I bought a townhouse. I contacted USAA for homeowners insurance but also told them my furniture and personal belongings would be in storage indefinitely. The moving company required that everything in storage be covered by insurance. I trusted that USAA had provided me with the correct insurance to cover both my townhouse but my items in storage. On February 1st, 2017 I physically had my items from storage moved to my new residence. Unfortunately there were a number of items broken and not delivered. The moving company had 120 days per their contract to find my items.

Unfortunately after 60 days they sent me a check for $132.00 at 60 cents a pound for the items packed and broken by them. I was advised to contact my insurance carrier as the items were not found. When I contacted USAA I was told by several individuals that my renters insurance was cancelled when I purchased my homeowners insurance and since they only keep messages for 90 days they had no record of what my phone call consisted of and therefore they would not reimburse me for the items that were not delivered. I was very disappointed in the way this was handled. Their decision to pay nothing was based on their inability to have my phone call tape available. Nice customer service from a company that I've been a customer of for the past 35 years. Thank You USAA.

I have been in the military for 10 years. I have had Navy's Federal for insurance and USAA for banking. I wanted to keep all my services together before I got out. I switched to USAA Valuable and Renters Insurance and two days later my home was broken into. A few minor things were taken, but it was still my items. I made a claim for two televisions, a watch and a fire stick. That's all.

After sending in pictures, contacting Walmart for receipts that they were unable to get because of time, and not being able to tell them who got my the fire stick for Christmas and my watch for my anniversary I was passed on to a special investigator. I guess because my "spouse" couldn't be reached and I didn't have enough information they didn't want to handle my claim. The person they have harassing me Sandra ** is terrible! I will never ever do insurance with USAA again - I'm also thinking about changing back to Navy Federal. By far the worst experience for me and my children.

I've been with USAA for insurance for over 26 years - starting as a second lieutenant in the US Army. I have seen the steady decline in their support to customers, ending with my recent homeowner claim. Much of my roof was damaged over the winter to the point of leaking. I filed a claim and scheduled the repair. USAA only wants to do things electronically and their electronic systems all suck. After remaining silent for over a month, despite multiple attempts to get a live agent on the phone, I got the electronic notification from USAA that they would not pay the claim. If you are a young service member - do NOT BUY USAA's hype. They do not support you any better than another insurance company... They are frauds.

We had a great experience with it USAA Homeowners claim. Our water heater busted and flooded our whole bottom floor. The water mitigation (removal of water damage) was handled quickly and the build back was processed quickly as well. We had hardwood floors, carpet padding, kitchen cabinetry and more... All sorted in 3 weeks. Thank you so much!!!

In Oct. '64, I began driving (on my father's USAA policy). When I was commissioned in 1970, I followed in my father's footsteps - I choose USAA. For the next 47 years, I was bombarded by USAA's incessant advertising. Basically the gist was always the same - "Don't worry soldier - wherever you are, we will ALWAYS protect you!!" I always believed their story. Then 2 weeks ago, all hell broke loose in our lives. We are now retired, and have been living in our brand new home for 18 months. An overhead, 400-pound wooden beam snapped loose. The only thing keeping it from crashing to the floor (and killing us) was a single sheet of sheetrock. I immediately filed a claim with USAA. Long story short - the claim WAS REJECTED!! "Sorry, sir - your accident was a result of shoddy workmanship, BY THE BUILDER. We comply with NM law - the blame rests with the builder. You might try going through your builder."

All fine and well, EXCEPT 18 months ago, the builder quit building homes, folded his tent and faded into the dark fog of night. Yep - he's a real dirt bag!! One of those builders. Now, here we stand, within months of age 70. We have never been in trouble with the law; never bounced a check and NEVER had any financial issues (our FICO score is currently 766). Yet we are now looking at filing bankruptcy. Our meager financial savings will be instantly depleted - they could NEVER cover the repair costs.

USAA's attitude is straight-forward - sorry buddy, but we operate by The Book - OUR book. It would be one thing if we had lived our lives as financial deadbeats, but that is not the case. We have ALWAYS lived frugal lives. LOOK what that got us!!! Now, every time I see one of those USAA commercials on TV, I must turn off the TV. That jingle about "being for the warriors and their families" makes me want to throw up. With a clear conscience, I CANNOT recommend USAA to today's young members of the force. Believe me - they aren't going to protect you and your family.

I have used USAA for over 10 years. They are always helpful and very knowledgeable. Their customer service is awesome. I have used one other insurance company and was not as pleased.

I was hopeful that if the time ever came that I needed to file a claim from my homeowners policy that USAA would take care of me under difficult circumstances. This was not the case. I had water damage that had started before I purchased the home in a upstairs bathroom but only became aware of it when it leaked through my ceiling below. My claim was denied with very little assistance and an incorrect observation from the adjuster. I'm highly disappointed that after paying in the neighborhood of $35,000 dollars year to date on this policy that this is what it comes to. Enjoy the free cash. No wonder insurance company CEO's are some of the highest paid.

I had a serious windstorm loss to roof claim and USAA not only processed the claim quickly but allowed for an improvement to chimney flashing. Excellent!

USAA used to be outstanding a decade or more ago, but then their Customer Service became unresponsive and openly unfriendly. Their major focus nowadays is to waste customer's time with annual auto updates that are required in order for them to find ways to reduce the insurance coverage they provide. Whenever I call to get help or ask questions, I now have to go through a phone gauntlet of automated options to try to get to a real person, but usually I'm unsuccessful. USAA was established to support members of the US Armed Forces; it appears that they have changed their mission to serve their corporate officers and stockholders instead.

I would certainly be one of the 57% described in the NerdWallet web review who would not recommend USAA Homeowners Insurance. It is likely that and even higher percentage would not recommend them for insurance for a rental property. USAA does not cover small leaks lasting more than 14 days, whether you know about the leak or not, nor do they cover massive sudden leaks, at least not in my situation.

I own a rental property that apparently developed a small leak underneath the sink that caused some mold. I did not know about the problem because the renters did not tell me about it. What does USAA expect me to do to protect myself inspect all potential water leaking sites in the rental unit every 13 days? One of the reasons you get insurance for rental properties is to cover you for dumb things a renter might do. I suspect there previously had been a small leak somewhere in the sink area before as there was mold beneath the sink. But then the drain pipe beneath the sink became completely disconnected and caused flooding of my unit and the unit below. That is when I became aware of the problem and immediately contacted USAA.

I assumed USAA would at least allow damages to my unit secondary to the huge acute leak that flooded the lower unit, but a month later they are still denying the claim because of the separate slow leak that caused mold. The last person I spoke to at USAA, Supervisor Bill **, admits that the flood from the disconnected pipe did damage my unit beyond the slow leak damage, but he still denies my claim after consulting with the Claims Service Director, Craig **. Mr. ** supposedly will contact me personally on Monday. Maybe I can reason with him, but I'm not holding my breath.

Below is the direct quote Mr. ** gave to justify his denying my claim. "We do not insure for loss or damage consisting of or caused directly or indirectly by any of the following regardless of (i) The cause of the excluded event or peril, or any other cause of the same lose, whether or not any other cause acts concurrently or in any sequence with the excluded cause, peril, or event to produce the loss." My wife is an attorney and she does not understand it either.

Updated on 5/13/2017: Finally got to speak to a claims supervisor after several weeks of trying. No change in their apparent view that drain water drains upwards with enough force to rise two feet and push thru a seam and seriously stain a granite countertop in my rental property even though the leak did not stain the floor beneath the sudden and accidental leak they are required to pay for. They want more evidence. Blatantly obvious photos not and the law of gravity not enough.

USAA is a responsive insurance company that quickly resolves claims. And after Hurricane Matthew knocked out the power in my neighborhood for four days, although I keep a high deductible on my policy ($1000), because of the natural disaster, I merely had to pay a $50 deductible and estimate the value of the food that I subsequently lost. The money was deposited into my account within 24 hours.

They are always more than fair with their claims experience. They are professional, helpful and fast. Unfortunately I have had to use my homeowners coverage for a whole host of things that happened after water damaged my home. They handled every aspect of the claims process, getting qualified plumbers and construction folks to one of the best flooring companies in this area. In addition they covered an almost three week stay in a very nice hotel.

Run as fast as you can. USAA Homeowners Insurance does not have its customer in high regard. They work hard to NOT COVER THEIR CUSTOMERS. We have water damage from a faulty drain? Faulty tub? Causing ceiling damage in our 2 storey house. Possible mold damage causing illnesses. Turned in claim a month and a half ago. Cannot get a return phone call. Then suddenly tonight we do get a call telling us hardly anything is covered. And $2000 deductible. I was talked down to. Felt disrespected. My family has served this country... This is just business to them and their business is avoiding helping and assisting their customers. They are without integrity. And really are about making you the consumer bear ALL FINANCIAL BURDEN. Horrible experience. Please do not use USAA INSURANCES...

I just want other people to be aware before they do any type of business with USAA. Without going into a lot of details, my husband is in the military and chose to do business with USAA. We were in the process of selling our house and buying a new one. The person we dealt with was unbelievably incompetent. She kept losing the documents we were send her via EMAIL! How do you lose an email unless you delete it? We had to send documents numerous times. Our realtor had to send her documents numerous times. The lady was rude to our realtor.

We finally got a hold of this lady's boss to explain the situation. It barely helped. We lost out on a very good mortgage rate because the lady never locked us in! Unfortunately, we did not find out until a month later, had to pay an extra fee, and had no record because it was a phone conversation. Fast forward to CLOSING DAY, and USAA STILL HAD NOT SUBMITTED OUR PAPERWORK TO THE ESCROW/TITLE COMPANY!! We were literally in the office, everyone on a phone, trying to figure out what the hell what going on!

Next, we cancelled our homeowner's insurance and went with Geico because it was half the cost (in July). USAA, whom we had our mortgage and homeowner's insurance through, never sent the money to Geico. I received a letter stating that Geico was going to cancel our insurance if they didn't get paid (in September - days after giving birth to our child). Five phone transfers with USAA's customer service later, they sent the money. However! I later received a letter (in December 2016) from Geico stating that our homeowner's insurance ended in September because they never received their money!! Another call to USAA...

Finally, we just received (March 2017) USAA was having difficulty renewing our homeowner's policy from our previous address. We called USAA, they NEVER CANCELLED OUR HOMEOWNER'S INSURANCE POLICY BACK FROM JULY 2016 when we told them we were moving and asked to transfer the policy!!! Needless to say, we are now in the process of filing paperwork to backdate a refund. We are also working to completely move all of our business with another company.

Please avoid USAA Homeowners Insurance. Consider the following: In 2013, we had wind damage to the houses in our neighborhood. This affected many roofs. Many homeowners insurers replaced their entire roof, including my neighbor's. I had a roof inspector inspect my roof and recommended a full roof replacement. USAA hired THEIR OWN INSPECTOR who concluded that only half of my roof was damaged and therefore, only half the roof would be paid for. After a $5k deductible, they offered me a check in the amount of $2k plus, which I refused.

So, in spite of the fact that my direct neighbors had full roof replacement and my roofing inspector concluded same, they dug in their heels on their position. I refused their inadequate offer. Fast forward to 2015. Hail storm. This time my roof inspector and THEIR ROOF INSPECTOR recommended an entire roof replacement. So what do you think happened? USAA said that because we didn't act on the 2013 claim, the statute of limitations ran out and they were not responsible to fix that half of the roof!! So, although the entire roof is in need of replacement, they will only replace half the roof gain, but charge double the deductible ($5,000) because the incidents happened in 2 separate years! UGH. Let's unite as consumers and stop this type of abuse from "member based" companies like USAA HOMEOWNERS INSURANCE.

I first obtained a USAA credit card many years ago. All was good. Then when my State Farm Insurance agent retired, I switched over my Homeowner's Insurance about 5 years ago, because I thought they had a reputation for being a good company. I own a vacant lot in my retirement account (IRA) and need a "certificate of Insurance" on that lot to prove liability coverage under my Homeowner's policy. This is usually an easy and mindless thing to do with any other company. It's a one page paper listing the policy number and the insured property description and the term of the policy. USAA sends me one with my policy renewal but they can't manage to put the address or legal description of the other property on it until after I spend hours on the phone with them, and this charade repeats annually.

With USAA, you can never talk to the same person twice. All you get is a call center 800 number and you deal with whoever answers the phone. Each year for 5 years, I go through the same hassle of perhaps 5 different calls talking to different people, being put on hold for 15 to 30 minutes, being told they figured it out and then finding it didn't get done and starting over with a new person. I asked if the agent could just figure it out and phone me back. Their response was, no, because it is a call center and as soon as they hang up with me they would get another call! So I wait on hold for up to 30 minutes per call. I asked if they have a Consumer Support or Problem Resolution department, but was told no. I asked if I can speak to a supervisor or someone higher up since I go through the same 8 hour frustrating hassle each year and finally get what I need, and again am told no.

The agent has said they enter the solution in my file to make it easier next time, but it never is any easier! I ask if I can email them what they sent me last year so they can see what I need, but NO, they cannot receive email. Nor can they send email. Instead, they post the new document on their online site which is a real hassle to log in to and finally find your message center. Then the document is never there so I start all over again with a new person.

Finally I find a competent person who makes the correction with no problem. I even get their name and employee number, but that does me no good next year because you cannot ever get back to the same person. You have to go through 4 more incompetents to finally find one employee who knows what to do. What a useless and totally consumer unfriendly bureaucracy. USAA is as bad as the Federal Government. All will go fine as long as you just pay the premium and do not have any need to contact them, but when you have to contact them, be prepared for the ridiculously inefficient to begin! I am totally anxious about one day having a claim and having to deal with the same unfriendly bureaucracy. You'd probably have to hire a lawyer.

My ex and I have been with USAA for over 40 years. They have been good with auto insurance and I felt I was in good hands - even getting money back with good driving record. Since my divorce and home ownership in FL, after many hurricanes, for which I was only paid for spoiled food, despite some damages I still can't afford to fix that just seem to come under my deductible. My premiums have nearly doubled since the hurricanes that mostly didn't affect me where I am inland and on high ground and I was feeling they would just as soon I move on, demanding I fix a roof that showed water damage a year after hurricane lifted my vent cap and when the winds stopped, the cap came back down, but unbeknownst to me, nails didn't. According to roofer, it was a common occurrence after the hurricanes, but according to USAA, "too bad, now the damage requires you immediately fix the roof or we will cancel you."

Didn't make me feel good and I had to take out a loan to fix the roof, but ignorance did put me at fault. Now after having a new HVAC system put in and having the AC people come out twice because I felt water was coming into the hall because of it, the last big rain saw an actual flood in my hall that I figured either came in through the drainage pipe on the HVAC or a roof leak in a 4 year old roof. USAA started the claim just fine and the adjusters I was working with were helpful in telling me how to get the leak found and water mitigated, as well as a contractor to bring in for flooring replacement. The leak specialist determined the water came in through a chase pipe that actually holds the drain pipe and 2 other lines running from the outside unit to the inside HVAC closet.

The tech had not waterproofed it, so as dirt washed out of the pipe, more and more water was coming into the house, this time 8 hrs of rain gave it complete access to my house. A chase pipe is set into the foundation, so dirt covers it and the leak tech turned a hose on over it, then walked into the house to film the water coming up into the floor under the HVAC closet. It didn't take him all of 5 minutes. He told me to have the AC company waterproof it inside and out. I had hoped USAA would press the AC company to pay the damages, the way they do drivers at fault if I am hit on the road. Turns out when the claim info on the leak showed up, along with pictures I took showing them the pipe wasn't waterproofed, folks above the adjuster I was dealing with decided this wasn't a leaking pipe, it was flooding and they were not going to cover it. I don't live in a flood plain and in 35 years have never had water get into the house from rain.

The definition apparently is groundwater. All water that doesn't fall on a body of water becomes groundwater! Would it have had to fall directly into the pipe to qualify? And who did they ask if it was due to flooding - the contractor that stood to make money off both of us, had I not found another contractor for $3000 less and had been discussing how unbelievable it was that the HVAC company refused to take the blame or that USAA was thinking about not allowing the claim. Now that he wasn't going to get the job and had to tear up the check they sent him for the work, he has become the expert, though he never saw the initial damage or the leak reports! I am so tired or being pushed around by people who don't mind taking my money but have enough weight to think they can walk all over me. And if you try to sue...do they cancel you?! Is there a governmental body that oversees insurance companies?

Leak reported 12/21/2017: date now 2/10/2017. Toilet in backyard for weeks. Work totally stops as each step is completed. Does not resume until I holler. No details re when workmen will arrive unless asked multiple times. And then they do not show or arrive very late or very early. My life has been suspended for 8 weeks so far... This sucks! Wondering how much longer my toilet will remain in backyard and master bedroom not liveable.

Recent USAA advertising is misleading: MOAA magazine has now teamed with USAA, making USAA a proud sponsor of MOAA. And TV ads have Josh Eilers (and others) saying they are members for life because USAA took care of their families or, in Josh's case, cattle damage to a fence. "He's been to Iraq 3 times and Afghanistan once." Well I've deployed 5 times, 6 months or longer, flying Navy helicopters from ships, starting with Vietnam. In 2005 we lived in Lake Ridge, VA, when a severe hailstorm hit our subdivision. Many military personnel with USAA homeowner insurance filed claims. Homeowners on our cul-de-sac to our left and right received full payment for roof and siding damage. An inspector (actually 3 eventually came out) said we did not have enough damage to have the roof replaced.

Our siding, however was determined to be in need of repair and USAA paid to have it replaced. So the question is, "How can the siding need replacement but not the roofing?" Especially since houses on both sides were being funded to replace both. When we moved 2 years later it cost $5,820 to have the roofing replaced. Another family was similarly snubbed as a woman came around with a clipboard listing those of us military families that USAA did not pay for our hail damage. Her list was over 30 names long. I recently was contacted by MOAA to renew our membership, but I told them their association with USAA has caused me to not renew. USAA soon contacted me and said they would look into our 2005 claim. But then called back to say they only keep records for 7 years and could not help. So, no, USAA does not have the military's back if it involves more than one insurer at a time. I would recommend not doing any business with them.

I am renting my house in Colorado. When I decided to rent the house and contacted USAA I had to change my policy to a Renter's insurance. The cost increased even though the coverage didn't cover my personal items (guns, jewelry, etc). The way I understood I was covered if the renter's skipped out. Due to it being a loss of income. I contacted USAA today and was told only the damage to the house is covered. Last month the check bounced and this month the renter's skipped out. No damage to the house but damage to my pocket. I had to pay more for insurance for less coverage. Not happy with USAA.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

USAA was founded in 1922 and serves members of the military and their families. The company offers insurance policies, banking, investment options and other financial services.

• Good pricing: USAA is known to have some of the most competitively priced policies available.
  • Additional services: With its home insurance policies, USAA offers identity theft coverage should any homeowners personal belongings be used to steal their identity.
  • Variety: USAA offers many types of homeowner insurance, and they are a one-stop insurance option, meaning policyholders can also purchase other types of insurance through the company.
  • Service: USAA only provides its services to members of the military and their families, so it’s not a viable option for every American. Americans who haven’t been affiliated with the military do not have access to the company’s services.
  • Consumer service: USAA Homeowners Insurance has complaints filed against it, indicating that policyholders are not always happy with the service they have received.
  • Best for Traditional homeowners, condo owners, farm owners, mobile home owners

Compare Homeowners Insurance