USAA Homeowners Insurance

USAA Homeowners Insurance
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.84/5

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military and their families.

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

USAA Homeowners Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA Homeowners Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: Sept. 12, 2020

Having been with USAA for over 40 years I expect fair treatment. Recent experiences have made me wonder who they're interested in serving. My son's car was hit while parked, but they've claimed it was his fault and increased his premiums. I have a home up north but staying with a friend in Florida. USAA tried to increase my premium to a landlord/rental policy even though it isn't being rented. Why are we being treated like distrusted strangers after 40 yrs of on time payments and no at fault accidents?

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

In May of 2017 we bought our house, in late June, we weekended in San Diego. Came home early Monday morning, to 1890 sq ft of our home was 5" deep in water, as the line busted, actually blasting a hole through the vanity, then ceiling, which caused one side of the entire bath, and bedroom wall. Immediately called USAA, they told me to call a flood company, we went to a hotel for 3 months, while work was done to repair it. We stacked, as best we could, all of our furniture and possessions into the part of the house that didn't get soaked. USAA always paid the hotels (Twas coverage we'd already paid for,) and we'd be in our own home again. USAA's preferred contractor was out here for 2 days, sometimes there were 3 of them assessing the damages, but their outside claim's adjuster, was always way out of line, on the 20% to the lowest they'd pay, and no one here wants to argue with USAA on the costs to repair.

Then, to top things off, USAA paid me to install flooring, in August, I had it installed in late September, then in early October, almost 3000 sq feet of flooring, in ALL the flooded areas, had to be taken up, because we didn't remove the subfloor. We had installed "Premium" flooring, that USAA said right off, tough **, "You chose to pay over and above what we allotted, so, if we pay at all AGAIN, it will be for the old flooring price."

Wait a minute, I demanded? USAA is supposed to be THE expert, neither me or Kathy (My wife,) were never in a flood, never knew anybody who'd been flooded, so how in the world, would we ever imagine all this happening? "Did we know what happens later," I exclaimed? We are $69,000 out of pocket, and the house is still a wreck! Oh yeah, the icing on the cake was when they cancelled me, 980 feet of it is modular, 1,901 approved, site built. They don't insure anything modular. Before we purchased their insurance, they had a dad gummed home inspector out here! Their car insurance claims are pretty good. I believe this all stems from their hiring outside adjusters.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2020

I have never had to use mine, but expect them to be easy to work with. I use them for car insurance and they have been easy to work with. They are easy to get in touch with, easy to talk to and ask all the correct questions.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2020

USAA is built around me, and the prices are hard to beat. They are flexible and can work with me. They are very quick to handle claims as I recently had a homeowner claim for damage that was settled and I had the funds in less than 72 hours in my account!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2020

I had a rear end collision, which was paid 100% because driver ran off. I also had a neighbor’s tree fall over part on my house and my deck, 2 days later there was 3 man crew who took care of damage promptly.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2020

Great service and follow through on claims. They are the best insurance company I've ever dealt with. They respond quickly with better service than one would expect.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

We had our 1st Homeowners claim in 25 years due to a wildfire and we are still struggling to get paid after 22 months. Everything has been denied or lowballed and then we have to keep paying more experts to get it overturned. It's been an nightmare. They now have the worst adjusters and no service.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

USAA has excellent quality and prompts response plus better pricing than other insurance companies. Since my husband was military, our kids and I can enjoy the benefits and they can be passed down to their kids too.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

USAA is prompt, reliable, and service is always outstanding. My entire family eligible for their coverage participate. All are pleased with their service. My grandson lost two roofs to storms and replacement/repair was extremely prompt. My son and my daughter both suffered water damage and they were promptly serviced with adequate damage coverage.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2020

We've been USAA members for 35 years. However, when we recently moved to a new state, we checked out various companies for homeowners insurance. We were flabbergasted to discover that USAA was double what we could find from several other highly rated companies. I'm a member for 35 years and you can't get me a reasonable rate??? They used to be unbeatable. Now they're not even competitive.

It starts when you get your online quote from USAA. I'll use fictitious numbers but they'll make the point. We bought our house for $200k and financed $150k. I wanted insurance for $200k to cover the rebuild cost. There are plenty of new houses around us selling for comparable prices so I KNOW we could rebuild for $200k, especially considering we had $50k in equity in the house. However, USAA knows better than we do that we REALLY needed to insure it for over $400k. That's preposterous. NO ONE that I've talked to feels it would be anywhere NEAR that cost to rebuild. I tried opting out of coverages and taking the minimums on EVERYTHING in their model but it still came to $400k. THAT's why their price is double...They're forcing us to insure it for twice as much as is necessary.

When I called them to discuss this, I explained that I only wanted the minimum insurance to make our mortgage company happy. They said that USAA had decided not to offer that option but that they felt it was better to ensure at actual rebuild costs. (Forget the fact that their rebuild costs are absurd.) I explained that as a customer that's not what I want. If they're going to be customer focused (as they USED to be) they would offer what the customers want, not what THEY decide the customer wants. Of course that went nowhere. As usual I got a "Thanks for being a loyal customer, Colonel. We appreciate your business." Then they continue to ignore the plethora of customer service suggestions I've made over the past 3 decades.

USAA used to brag about getting the JD Powers award for outstanding customer service year after year after year. Check out their website now...You don't see it. What you see are awards for being "The best place to work." So their employees have become their focus, not customers. That's absolutely wrong for a CUSTOMER OWNED BUSINESS, as USAA is. If you fall for the advertising gimmicks, you'll be sorry. Shop around. You'll likely find better deals elsewhere and can CERTAINLY find better customer service.

USAA Homeowners Insurance Company Information