4.0/5 (643 ratings)

About USAA Homeowners Insurance

USAA sells auto and property coverage to members of the U.S. military. The company has homeowners insurance policies for all active and retired military personnel and their immediate family members. It offers several coverage and discount options for eligible households. You can get free USAA insurance quotes online.

USAA Homeowners Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA Homeowners Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA Homeowners Insurance?

Original review: Aug. 24, 2021

My mother, a USAA insured for 62 years, filed a claim with USAA when her condominium flooded due to a leak in a water heater in the unit upstairs from hers. That was more than three months ago. The USAA agent first required us to force her HOA to file a claim with its insurer even though the HOA did not believe it was a covered claim with their insurance. The agent told us her USAA coverage would not kick in until we got an answer from the HOA’s insurance. We finally got a denial from that company, which I immediately passed on to USAA. Since that day, the agent has failed to respond to any of our four emails or phone calls requesting permission to proceed with repairs. The only thing we are left with is silence and frustration.

I am in the process of filing a consumer complaint with the state office of insurance. I have never had such a difficult time dealing with an insurance company in my life. I cannot recommend strongly enough that others avoid USAA insurance. Their agents communicate no concern for my mother or her situation, which has disrupted her plans to move to the condominium. I do recommend Liberty Mutual as the best insurance company I’ve ever dealt with regarding service and claims. Take your business to another insurer, perhaps Liberty Mutual.

Original review: July 6, 2021

My house burned down 2.5 weeks ago. USAA put me and my dogs up in a one bedroom hotel in one of the worst neighborhoods in town. My dogs have now been attacked twice by other aggressive dogs at the hotel, USAA doesn’t seem to care as they are making no effort to find me something permanent. And I have had virtually NO communication with my “adjuster“.

Original review: June 26, 2021

USAA is attentive and thorough. I know they will follow up with me quickly on any question I have, and explain things thoroughly. I haven't had to file a claim with them for this, but friends who have tell me they process claims quickly.

Original review: June 25, 2021

My family has used USAA Homeowners Insurance for decades. My father was a USAF career fighter pilot. My parents have had USAA for at least 40+ years, and never filed a claim for their home. However, my mother now age 94 sustained roof damage during the past year, which also caused water leakage to her ceiling in the south side of her house. The estimate from USAA was less than the amount of 3 roofers in her area, and USAA says now that they will not cover the inside ceiling water damage. They just seem to create one excuse after another. The USAA adjuster named Christoper ** has been very upsetting to work with. Again, my mom is 94 and I have power of attorney to help her. I also have USAA homeowners insurance for my home at a cost $600+ per month. Together with my mother’s insurance USAA is getting nearly $1000/month for insurance premiums.

To say I am disappointed especially not to help my mother cover the cost of roof repairs is a grotesque understatement. The ** advertising that USAA does to make people believe that they are there for military service members is NOT TRUE! Do not be lured into USAA Homeowners insurance because you have a career military service member in your family. It’s a scam and false advertising. Maybe if USAA took care of my mother’s roof damage, and fired Chris **, then I might consider keeping USAA. However, after many decades for both myself and my parents carrying USAA, I now plan to switch both to different insurance. USAA made many thousands of dollars off our homeowner insurance policies ... far more that the roof replacement costs for my mother’s home! Do NOT use USAA for homeowner's insurance. ... When you eventually need their help to file a claim after decades of coverage, USAA is NOT there!!!!

Original review: June 12, 2021

USSA covers everything I need as far as insurance, home, auto, life. They also have banking services, credit cards. They honor the veterans with their products. Their children get the same benefits as their parents.

Original review: June 11, 2021

I have never paid a cent for any repairs to my house. Customer support is spectacular. They are always Johnny on the spot when I need help. Rates and premiums can't be beat for military. Military friendly.

Original review: May 13, 2021

USAA is the worst insurance company I have ever dealt with. Our entire neighborhood is having their roofs replaced sure to haul damage. USAA says they don't see any hail damage. Liars. They've been rude, extremely expensive, absolutely unhelpful, and judgemental. The adjuster accused a roofer of causing damage. Nonsense.

Original review: April 27, 2021

15 years ago I moved into a gated community. Texas law requires gated communities to establish a condominium regime to maintain the non-public stress inside the gates, even if the residences inside the gate are single family dwellings. USAA admitted to me it "assumed" I lived in a condo because my address includes "unit x", even though in 2015 USAA inspected my single family home in person due to a roof damage claim. My roof damage was acknowledged and I was eligible for an entire roof replacement. USAA failed to update the year of roof replacement because "the claims department and the pricing department don't speak to one another". It was not until 2021 that both these mistakes were noticed by me.

USAA agreed to refund my overpayment due to roof age but not the overpayment due to misclassification as a condo. USA claims it was my responsibility to know I was misclassified even though nowhere in my policy is wording to let me know I was classified as a condo and not a single family dwelling. USAA has actually admitted its processes are flawed and in the future it will (1) instruct its claims people to talk to pricing people, and (2) put wording on a person's renewal packet so a homeowner can see what classification the one is in. So, be warned. USAA says it will refund my overpayment for the age of my roof, but it refuses to refund the overpayment for a condo instead of a single family dwelling. Even though it makes mistakes, USAA cannot be trusted (as I foolishly did) and will not ensure you pay for the correct type of insurance.

Original review: April 1, 2021

I'm ending my 33 year relationship with USAA. Once a great company dedicated to serving military families, USAA is now just another insurance company cashing premium checks and denying claims. I recently reported a storm damage claim to USAA, hoping to repair or replace my roof in preparation for selling my home. USAA denied the claim; the inspector stated had minimal damage and did not need to be replaced. The prospective for my home were also a USAA members, and attempted to finance and insure the purchase through USAA. However, USAA told them that they could not get financing or insurance unless the roof was replaced.

USAA told me that no roof was necessary, because denying the claim benefitted USAA's bottom line. USAA told my prospective buyers that a new roof was necessary, again because this condition benefitted USAA's bottom line. As a result of these unethical business practices, the sale for my home fell through. I've already moved my car and home insurance to GEICO, which offers better coverage, lower rates, and most importantly, ethical business practices. I'll be moving my personal banking to a local credit union. It's sad to see this once great company, with $36 billion in annual revenue, stoop to such depths just to avoid replacing a roof.

Original review: March 20, 2021

My home’s roof was damaged in a wind storm on 25 September 2020 along with many others in my neighborhood. The inspector that I engaged confirmed that damage to my roof was similar to, but more severe to damage sustained by many of my immediate neighbors. My claim to USAA was denied based on the report of the USAA adjuster who used as his criteria shingle folds in excess of a half-inch in width. My neighbors’ homes were built at the same time as mine using the same materials (Horizon shingles).

Without exception, my neighbors who have filed claims are currently in the process of having their roofs replaced, having been covered by their various insurance carriers. I have requested that the roof be reinspected by a different USAA adjustor as I feel that the criteria he used was very different from the industry standard. I have been denied even this courtesy. This request was made by email on 2/28/2021 and 3/5/21 and then in phone conversation on 3/8/21.

Original review: March 16, 2021

4 Feb 2021 - canceled Homeowners Policy (raise rates again with no claims). 8 Feb 2021 - was told refund was mailed out. 24 Feb 2021 - no refund has been issued will be issued on 7 Mar. 16 Mar 2021 - no refund has been issued - currently 58 minutes on phone between 5 different departments and last one sent me back to automatic system. Worst company to deal with - highly recommend another company like I did - took homeowners and auto insurance to another company after 13 years with USAA.

Original review: March 1, 2021

Been with USAA for over 34 years but will be changing companies immediately! We had pipes burst due to freeze which poured over 2 inches of water into our Master Bedroom and Master bath. Only received one call in over 2 1/2 weeks from a USAA representative!! Horrible customer service!! All walls in the bath were soaked including cabinets and tub which shorted out and would not work. USAA posted an estimate of $595.00 to replace sheetrock in bath only which is grossly inadequate…There is No way to replace sheetrock in Bath without removing tile shower, vanities, Mirrors, Trim, Molding, Tub etc.

Demo of bath is complete and nothing but some limited trim is reusable, counter tops, tub and cabinets cracked and broke during removal. Master Bedroom walls are wet, trim coming off and no mention in estimate of replacing walls, trim, molding, and paint. Master Bedroom hardwood floor was covered in 2” of water! It is peaking and must be replaced... We sent them honest estimates ranging from 25K to 32K for repairs to our Master Bath and Master Bedroom from licensed contractors and no response.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

USAA is hands down the #1 insurance company in America. I submitted a claim due to a broken furnace that had sustained water damage. I began getting frustrated with my adjuster for how long it was taking. This was my first time submitting a claim and I wasn't aware of the length of time it usually takes. He was gathering information and working a bunch of other claims at the same time. I have to admit I was a little rude and even threw in the towel at one point telling my adjuster to close my claim and that it wasn’t worth the trouble. He was very patient with me throughout the whole process and didn’t give up on me. Scott at USAA really took care of me. I will continue doing business with USAA for another 20 years thanks to Scott!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2020

I filed for a claim to USAA by a phone call in Nov 2020, the first claim since the house was insured in 2002. During the phone call, USAA customer representative asked me if I needed its recommended contractor/estimator to proceed and I agreed. Yet I did not realize that USAA customer representative never informed me any other options: if I seek my own representation/agent… From that point, the assigned contractor would not respond my requests/calls for the claims only if USAA pressured the contractors (please see all the posts on USAA website). Surprisingly the contractors would call me to pursue a business with a higher price and lower quality.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

We have been with USAA for about 35 years. During that time, we have had several large claims for hail and hurricane damages. They always provided sufficient coverage for "good as new" repair. I couldn't be a more satisfied customer.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2020

USAA use to be great! However, since this pandemic it seems like their service and professionalism has went downhill. For the last month, I have had to deal with an indignant field adjuster and another that seemed great at first. However, he has been untrustworthy as well. I just want my home repaired and USAA just want to spend as little as possible, band-aid repairs, and ignore other aspects of the home. It has been very disheartening and frustrating dealing with them.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2020

I am very disappointed in USAA. I would not recommend them. Whenever I get the chance I make sure to share my experience and try to steer people towards any other homeowners insurance company. They might have been great years ago but to my dismay we found out firsthand just how mediocre they have become. After a storm we had damage to our roof. The roofer and the independent inspector both suggested the roof be replaced. Both warned us that if we had Eerie, State Farm, or one or two others, we would be fine but USAA didn’t stand behind their customers like they used to. Sure enough, our claim was denied while my 3 neighbors with the same problem ALL had their claims approved. Needless to say, we are getting quotes from a few other insurance companies and won’t be keeping our USAA coverage.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

A couple of years ago, I had a claim for a home invasion and loss of items due to robbery of items both personal and replaceable. The agent handling the claim was very professional and had much empathy for our predicament. The claim was handled in a timely and honest fashion.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

Very responsive & knowledgeable. Go well above and beyond anything that could be expected. They are available 24 /7 and you get a reaction as to their expected actions almost immediately. Their estimates are fair and companies they recommend are excellent.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2020

I have been a faithful member of USAA for 32 years. I have spent tens of thousands of dollars getting my two houses and two cars covered. I have never missed a payment or been late on a payment. I mailed in my payment on 11/2. On 11/8 I received an email saying my payment has not been posted. On 11/9 I received a text message stating that policy cancellations were starting and my policy is being canceled. I called USAA six times and talked to six different agents to explain to them that I had mailed the payment and that perhaps the mail was delayed due to the ballot counting and that the USAA needs to email me or text me that my policy was not been canceled.

I got the same runaround from all six of them. They didn't have a "standard form" to meet that request. "Too bad. That's business". "Go ahead and pay over the phone and cancel your payment". Who's going to pay the $30.00 my bank charges me to cancel a check? I am going to have to change insurance carriers because of their horrible Customer Service. They don't have any customer loyalty to me so why should I have any loyalty to them. Absolutely horrible experience. Horrible people and horrible business practice.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

I have used USAA to insure my home since 2010. They wanted me to insure my home for more than $100,000 over replacement cost. Even though I argued against this, they assured me that they would provide outstanding coverage because I did not know the cost to replace. OK. In 2014, Arlington, TX had a very bad storm with 90 mph winds that blew off the roof of a building 200 feet away from my home. I called in a claim. The adjuster they hired, arrived at my home by limping out of his truck, getting on his ladder and peering at my roof. Even though I had damage to my patio furniture and roof, he said I had very little damage -- so little damage, he would not write up an estimate because there was no hail damage. I told him I reported WIND damage.

USAA sent me an email stating that my hail damage was less than my $2,000 deductible. So, in April 2020, we had a hail storm, and my neighbor next door and 3 houses away filed hail damage claims, and had their State Farm Insurance roofs replaced within the last month (Sept 2020). I filed a HAIL claim. A person, using his wife's personal phone, called me and stated he was assigned as my USAA adjuster and would be out to examine my roof. The "adjuster" called me on 10/13/2020 to say he was on his way, I gave him my gate code and told him I would unlock my back gate to let him have access to the back of my yard. He told me he would decide where he will examine my home/roof. I explained that I had a roofer in mind, the "adjuster" told me he did not want anyone getting in his way.

Today, 10/15/2020, I received an email from USAA that my homeowner's claim was under my deductible. Don't be fooled with USAA scaring you into paying insurance premiums of more than $100,000 more coverage for YEARS than you need to because they provide "excellent coverage/claims". I am reporting them to the State Board of Insurance for unfair claims practices. Hey, hire people that are professionals; people that have a professional business phone -- not their wife's personal phone!

Original review: Oct. 2, 2020

My neighborhood sustained a hail damage on March 17, 2019. Almost immediately the entire neighborhood had their roof replaced by their individual insurance company. USAA in whom I’ve been a member since 1978 has refused to cover for the roof replacement. It’s been over a year now and the house has started to leak and USAA continues to deny my claim. Everyone of my neighbors have their roof replaced and paid for by their insurance company. PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM USAA. They were good company before but not anymore. Their price is high and it keeps getting higher.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

I am a retired Vet and purchased USAA insurance for my home. After 7 hail storms and 2 tornados USAA refuses to replace my roof. I now have no home insurance because no company will cover me until the roof is fixed. USAA is not the same company they use to be. My roof leaks and is destroyed and all my neighbors received new roofs but not me. Stay away from USAA.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

USAA is very easy to set up. They have optional payment plans, which makes it easy for my budget. And, while lowering my overall cost (for home + cars), they gave me more coverage on my homeowners policy. Very friendly people.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2020

I have never had a problem with a claim with USAA. They have only their own employees. They don't hire a third party, like Liberty Mutual does, who don't care about you because they're not who your policy is with. And they have huge discounts for bundling bank accts and insurance accts.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2020

Having been with USAA for over 40 years I expect fair treatment. Recent experiences have made me wonder who they're interested in serving. My son's car was hit while parked, but they've claimed it was his fault and increased his premiums. I have a home up north but staying with a friend in Florida. USAA tried to increase my premium to a landlord/rental policy even though it isn't being rented. Why are we being treated like distrusted strangers after 40 yrs of on time payments and no at fault accidents?

Original review: Sept. 11, 2020

USAA has been first rate. Recently, we had our hot water heater blow up and pretty much mess up our entire basement. Once we called USAA, they got right on the case. They had clean started within 24 hours; assessed the damages and provided a first rate recovery company. And, they were very easy to deal with. We love the everything about them.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2020

In May of 2017 we bought our house, in late June, we weekended in San Diego. Came home early Monday morning, to 1890 sq ft of our home was 5" deep in water, as the line busted, actually blasting a hole through the vanity, then ceiling, which caused one side of the entire bath, and bedroom wall. Immediately called USAA, they told me to call a flood company, we went to a hotel for 3 months, while work was done to repair it. We stacked, as best we could, all of our furniture and possessions into the part of the house that didn't get soaked. USAA always paid the hotels (Twas coverage we'd already paid for,) and we'd be in our own home again. USAA's preferred contractor was out here for 2 days, sometimes there were 3 of them assessing the damages, but their outside claim's adjuster, was always way out of line, on the 20% to the lowest they'd pay, and no one here wants to argue with USAA on the costs to repair.

Then, to top things off, USAA paid me to install flooring, in August, I had it installed in late September, then in early October, almost 3000 sq feet of flooring, in ALL the flooded areas, had to be taken up, because we didn't remove the subfloor. We had installed "Premium" flooring, that USAA said right off, tough **, "You chose to pay over and above what we allotted, so, if we pay at all AGAIN, it will be for the old flooring price."

Wait a minute, I demanded? USAA is supposed to be THE expert, neither me or Kathy (My wife,) were never in a flood, never knew anybody who'd been flooded, so how in the world, would we ever imagine all this happening? "Did we know what happens later," I exclaimed? We are $69,000 out of pocket, and the house is still a wreck! Oh yeah, the icing on the cake was when they cancelled me, 980 feet of it is modular, 1,901 approved, site built. They don't insure anything modular. Before we purchased their insurance, they had a dad gummed home inspector out here! Their car insurance claims are pretty good. I believe this all stems from their hiring outside adjusters.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2020

I have never had to use mine, but expect them to be easy to work with. I use them for car insurance and they have been easy to work with. They are easy to get in touch with, easy to talk to and ask all the correct questions.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2020

USAA is built around me, and the prices are hard to beat. They are flexible and can work with me. They are very quick to handle claims as I recently had a homeowner claim for damage that was settled and I had the funds in less than 72 hours in my account!

USAA Homeowners Insurance Company Information