Term Life Insurance Quotes

Protect your loved ones. Check rates against other carriers.

Compare Rates
  2. Finance
  3. Life Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.04/5

Term Life Insurance Quotes

Protect your loved ones. Check rates against other carriers.

Compare Rates

USAA Life Reviews

Original review: April 8, 2019

I worked for the U.S. Army for 33 years before I retired at 56 with a FULL retirement (FERS system). I selected USAA to rollover my Thrift Savings Plan funds into a retirement income annuity. Since I did my full time before retirement I am not liable for the 10% IRS penalty for early withdrawal. The first couple of years USAA issued my annuity with that condition exempting from that.

This year they claim they implemented a “new system” and because of that alone they are now saying I am NOT due that condition AND that they cannot verify my years of service!!! They offer no option to redress this in house and say I need to consult a tax professional. I still have my DD214 and other documents proving my years of service, but they demonstrated no interest whatsoever in my verification of my years of service. A WARNING: AVOID DOING ANY BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY THEY ARE TOXIC!!! McKinley **.

Original review: March 1, 2019

My mom passed away Feb 4th. It's now March 1st, and I'm STILL struggling to have her supplemental insurance terminated. I've spent HOURS on hold, been bounced between numerous departments, spoken with many agents. A bill came in 8 days after she died. Not good... USAA has NEVER been good, in my experience, in terms of customer service.

Get expert buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I've had an immediate annuity with USAA for 2 years. My 1099-R's were correct for both tax years, with a distribution code of "2". This tax season, 2018, my 1099-R had a distribution code "1" instead of "2". I spoke to two agents and they told me code 1 was correct. No, IT'S NOT! I fall under exception with code 2! The second agent told me that USAA is only using code 1 now despite the fact that I had the IRS site with the 2018 1099-R forms and instructions on the computer and read it to them! I was told that I cannot speak to anyone in the tax department or a supervisor. USAA just made their own rules and screwed me royally! This change subjects me to a 50% reduction in what would have been the meager tax refund for 2018! Because of the early withdrawal penalties, I can't even transfer the annuity to another company for at least 8 years. I do not recommend USAA for this product! Go elsewhere...

Original review: June 5, 2018

6 years ago we moved a paid up life insurance policy to USAA and were told money could be pulled out any time without a problem. Now we are at a point where we have to pull some money out to pay for care costs. Requested the payout almost 1 month ago and were told it would take 2 weeks. After 2 weeks nothing! Called and were told the request HAD to be reviewed by the legal department which would take up to 15 business days. Each time we called we get a different story and a different timeline. As soon as this is resolved all accounts will be pulled out of USAA and moved to Navy Federal!!!

Original review: March 28, 2018

They do not provide any information about what are the causes of fatality covered by the insurance. The policy is not clear. It is a pain to get straight the beneficiaries' information. They offer and charge for a service that they do not provide.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA Life?

Original review: March 9, 2018

I tried to invest my money with this company. Send my money. The transaction did no go through and instead of calling me they send my money to this company VALIC. According to this company they don't have any record of this transaction. They blame goes back and forward. Last time I talked to USAA THEY TOLD ME I RECEIVED THE CHECK FROM VALIC AND I CASHED THE CHECK. I told that was no true. They refused to answer my calls. I do not know where my money is? I been trying. This been 2 years.

Original review: March 6, 2018

I submitted my DD214 two months ago and was told it was illegible, I was discharged in 1975. I submitted the alternative Record of Discharge two weeks ago and was told someone would be in touch with me in a couple of days. I hadn't heard anything so I called four days ago and was told the document was received but had not been reviewed. I called again today and was about to be transferred for the fourth time to speak with a fifth person when I told them that it was way too difficult to work with them and I hung up. I was patience and reasonable, in my estimation. Not a good experience at all.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

What does term Life mean? To USAA it means a chance to try and trick you into paying for insurance beyond the life of the policy. They do an automatic renewal at the end of the term, without your permission, at whatever rate I suppose they think they can get away with. In order to stop it, you must call, wade through a nonresponsive voice system (took me two tries), wait 30 minutes or more on hold and then tell them why you don't want them to renew it without your permission. I expect this kind of horrible customer service on a gym membership or a magazine subscription but not USAA. I used to love USAA but their customer service has been getting worse and worse starting about 5 years ago. They are outsourcing more and more and doing things they promised they never would (like selling my mortgage to a third party). It is sad to see a once great company become so bad.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

This company is supposed to be there to help vets but really they are there to line their pockets. They sell you stuff you Dont need and they mislead as to what you are purchasing. Total ripoff and they could care less about vets. They should be shut down.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

USAA is a top rate company. Membership opened. The best customer service couple with the many products they offer have been a great selection to have for your opportunity to purchase. You need to be a member of the armed forces or a dependent thereof to join. Although many of their products don't require you to be a member of the armed forces.

USAA Life expert review by Neal Frankle

USAA Life offers a variety of life insurance policies for active-duty, retired and discharged members of the military and their spouses, as well as a term life insurance plan for customers' children under the age of 17. Unlike other life insurance companies, USAA will pay benefits on a member's policy even if he or she is killed in war. Additionally, some USAA life insurance policies do not require a medical exam.

• Severe injury benefit: USAA Life offers all of its active members an exclusive benefit of $25,000 if they receive certain severe injuries while doing their military duty.

• Fast-track insurance application: The company will expedite an application for military term life insurance to make sure that you have coverage before you deploy.

• Free financial advice: USAA Life helps counsel your beneficiaries on their finances in the event of your death.

• Initial insurance quote: The company provides an online form that lets you enter some basic personal information and, in turn, receive price quote estimates for both universal and term life insurance policies.

• Online account access: The company lets you manage your account on a variety of devices, including laptops, mobile devices and iPads.

by Neal Frankle Life Insurance Contributing Editor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.

USAA Life Company Information