3.90/5

Looking for a life insurance company?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

80 USAA Life Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 5, 2018

6 years ago we moved a paid up life insurance policy to USAA and were told money could be pulled out any time without a problem. Now we are at a point where we have to pull some money out to pay for care costs. Requested the payout almost 1 month ago and were told it would take 2 weeks. After 2 weeks nothing! Called and were told the request HAD to be reviewed by the legal department which would take up to 15 business days. Each time we called we get a different story and a different timeline. As soon as this is resolved all accounts will be pulled out of USAA and moved to Navy Federal!!!

Original review: March 28, 2018

They do not provide any information about what are the causes of fatality covered by the insurance. The policy is not clear. It is a pain to get straight the beneficiaries' information. They offer and charge for a service that they do not provide.

Get expert buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: March 9, 2018

I tried to invest my money with this company. Send my money. The transaction did no go through and instead of calling me they send my money to this company VALIC. According to this company they don't have any record of this transaction. They blame goes back and forward. Last time I talked to USAA THEY TOLD ME I RECEIVED THE CHECK FROM VALIC AND I CASHED THE CHECK. I told that was no true. They refused to answer my calls. I do not know where my money is? I been trying. This been 2 years.

Original review: March 6, 2018

I submitted my DD214 two months ago and was told it was illegible, I was discharged in 1975. I submitted the alternative Record of Discharge two weeks ago and was told someone would be in touch with me in a couple of days. I hadn't heard anything so I called four days ago and was told the document was received but had not been reviewed. I called again today and was about to be transferred for the fourth time to speak with a fifth person when I told them that it was way too difficult to work with them and I hung up. I was patience and reasonable, in my estimation. Not a good experience at all.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

What does term Life mean? To USAA it means a chance to try and trick you into paying for insurance beyond the life of the policy. They do an automatic renewal at the end of the term, without your permission, at whatever rate I suppose they think they can get away with. In order to stop it, you must call, wade through a nonresponsive voice system (took me two tries), wait 30 minutes or more on hold and then tell them why you don't want them to renew it without your permission. I expect this kind of horrible customer service on a gym membership or a magazine subscription but not USAA. I used to love USAA but their customer service has been getting worse and worse starting about 5 years ago. They are outsourcing more and more and doing things they promised they never would (like selling my mortgage to a third party). It is sad to see a once great company become so bad.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA Life?

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

This company is supposed to be there to help vets but really they are there to line their pockets. They sell you stuff you Dont need and they mislead as to what you are purchasing. Total ripoff and they could care less about vets. They should be shut down.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

USAA is a top rate company. Membership opened. The best customer service couple with the many products they offer have been a great selection to have for your opportunity to purchase. You need to be a member of the armed forces or a dependent thereof to join. Although many of their products don't require you to be a member of the armed forces.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2017

I was involved in a car accident on 12/01/2014. I had a seizure while driving and had a 100,000$ PIP coverage. This is what USAA recommended in case of the situation since I am an epileptic. I was diagnosed as an epileptic in 2006. I have been a customer with them since 2002 and my family for much longer! My family is all military. So when I had the car wreck everything was going great at first! They were helping me with my medical bills and telling me what they needed etc. It was about 4 months into it when they quit paying me and my doctor visits. I lost my apartment and everything I had. I also had rental insurance with them. When I lost my apartment due to them not paying me my PIP I cancelled my rental insurance. They continue to say I owe them money for my rental insurance.

Later in the year after I filed with the Better Business Bureau then USAA began paying me again for a few months with the tendency that I could find a doctor to say that the car wreck increased my seizures. Since it's impossible to state what exactly increased my seizures no doctor would say that in those exact words. I had a for most specialist on epilepsy state that a head injury during a car accident could and would increase seizures. USAA would not take his statement due to him being out of state, not looking at my medical records, and because he was not my specific Doctor.

Ending result after 2 yrs of fighting with USAA -- they ask their doctor to look at my case and said their doctor said I was fine so they were closing my case. Out of 100,000$ policy they paid an estimated 26,000$. I am now on disability and USAA still claims I owe them money. They fight and argue when I try to close my account due to owing them money. (Just to be clear I cancelled the rental insurance and they kept charging me anyways.)

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

They have the best tools on their website compared to other websites. Besides insurance, USAA offers many other services such as banking and helping you find a new car. I've had them for about 40 years and wouldn't switch to anyone else because the others don't match the services I get from USAA.

Original review: June 3, 2016

This bank USAA housed my personal retirement that was teacher retirement plan. I cashed out and had personally invested in my home state which were security certificates in my maiden name. The financial institution at USAA allowed my husband to change the ownership to his name, when I went to address the bank they told me I could not see my investments and they refused to talk to me in person and also told me I had to go through my then husband.

Original review: March 23, 2016

I really like the whole company of USAA. They don't fool around and they just get things done in a timely orderly fashion. I mean the other insurance companies really need to step their whole game up on this new millennium. Who knows maybe I will be a lifelong customer for them, more than likely.

Original review: March 23, 2016

Love USAA! I have had no problems whatsoever with any of my services there. They will work with you and guide you in the right direction for what you are looking for.

Original review: March 22, 2016

Very bad company. Constantly freezing my account access without any warning. My insurance was almost cancelled because I could not access my information. Had to call customer service at least 3 times to verify it was me that was using the account. Customer service was terrible.

Original review: March 22, 2016

Being a Veteran, it is important for me to know my loved ones will be protected when I pass. My agent was very knowledgeable and helped me choose the best policy for me and my family. My premium is reasonable and I know that my family will be able to cover my final expenses and have money left over. I have peace of mind knowing they won't have to worry.

Original review: March 22, 2016

I have been a customer of USAA for over 5 years. They are a GREAT company. I have shopped around for quotes after purchasing an additional vehicle and was not satisfied with the results. I plan on being a customer of USAA for another 5 years or longer!

Original review: March 21, 2016

They have always been good to us and very reliable! Never done us wrong and are always respectful. Very great customer service and never had any issues. Always highly recommend them for their services.

Original review: March 21, 2016

We use USAA for all of our insurance needs. We trust that we will get the amount of insurance we need at a fair price. Customer service and adviser have always helpful.

Original review: March 20, 2016

We have had very little feedback with our life insurance company other than paying the monthly bill for the life insurance. We obviously hope that we don't have to use this anytime soon.

Original review: March 19, 2016

Great staff and caters to your needs. They have really gone out of their way to help me and my family. I have never had any issues and they even saved me a lot of money a couple of times. I am so blessed I found USAA.

Original review: March 19, 2016

I gave it the rating because their customer service is awful. I have never needed to file a claim through USAA and dread when I have to. Every time I call I get transferred around, I can hear people laughing and talking in the background. Don't ask them to call you back. They will not.

Original review: March 18, 2016

I trust the company and it is also have good reputation. Lots of positive comments too so I know it's worth it. They have a good customer service, good policies and they are willing to guide me always in all my concerns.

Original review: March 18, 2016

It is a great company with excellent customer service.

Original review: March 17, 2016

USAA life insurance was decently affordable. The life insurance policy was the cheapest without having to make too many sacrifices to my policy coverage. The only downside to USAA's life insurance regulations is that you have to be a member of the U.S. armed forces or a direct relative or spouse of such a member. If the applicant does qualify for the USAA life insurance policy, the applicant will noticeably see a lower price point compared to other more popular insurance companies.

Original review: March 16, 2016

They are easy to work with and answered my questions to my satisfaction. Prices were reasonable. I can call and talk to a real person with very little effort. Their website is well organized and easily navigated. I can't comment on the claims department as I have not needed their services.

Original review: March 15, 2016

I just bought it last year and I am happy so far. I have experienced no problems with USAA. I would recommend this company to anyone. The cost benefits is great.

Original review: March 14, 2016

I have been a customer of USAA for over 15 years and they have always provided great service. When filing claims, I have never had an issue and they offer extra services like free towing which I've used a few times and it's been a real life saver.

Original review: March 14, 2016

The rates are pretty good, the monthly payment are affordable but it is only term life. It is always easy to get in touch with a sales person and not a recording where you have to select a lot of options.

Original review: March 13, 2016

USAA is the best insurance company. They are very helpful and make sure you get the best customer service. They have awesome customer service representatives.

Original review: March 12, 2016

It has been nothing but spectacular. USAA and I have a long relationship on many different products and they all are top-notch. I have been able to call them and get whatever I need from them whether it be a claim, an adjustment of my policy and they are the best deal around and have the best service I have ever had in my life.

Original review: March 11, 2016

I have 2 different life insurance policies and both were really easy to obtain. I called up and spoke to someone about getting my policies. With one policy a short medical evaluation was needed. They sent a nurse to my home in order to do the medical portion of the policy. The cost of my policies are really low and paying them is easy since I have automatic deductions taken from my checking account.

USAA Life expert review by Neal Frankle

USAA Life offers a variety of life insurance policies for active-duty, retired and discharged members of the military and their spouses, as well as a term life insurance plan for customers' children under the age of 17. Unlike other life insurance companies, USAA will pay benefits on a member's policy even if he or she is killed in war. Additionally, some USAA life insurance policies do not require a medical exam.

• Severe injury benefit: USAA Life offers all of its active members an exclusive benefit of $25,000 if they receive certain severe injuries while deployed or otherwise doing their military duty.

• Fast-track insurance application: The company will expedite an application for military term life insurance to make sure that you have coverage before you deploy.

• Free financial advice: USAA Life helps counsel your beneficiaries on their finances in the event of your death.

• Initial insurance quote: The company provides an online form that lets you enter some basic personal information and, in turn, receive price quote estimates for both universal and term life insurance policies.

• Online account access: The company lets you manage your account on a variety of devices, including laptops, mobile devices and iPads.

Profile picture of Neal Frankle
    Neal Frankle Life Insurance Contributing Editor

Neal Frankle is a Certified Financial Planner in Los Angeles. He is the publisher of WealthPilgrim.com, an information resource for consumers. He has been a professional financial advisor since 1991 and is the editor of www.MCMHA.org.

USAA Life Company Information