Save on happy and healthy

Dental care is expensive. Dental insurance is not. Learn how you can save.

Get cavity coverage
2.22/5

Save on happy and healthy

Dental care is expensive. Dental insurance is not. Learn how you can save.

Get cavity coverage

Aetna Dental Insurance Reviews

Original review: April 26, 2019

I am free to choose any dentist that accepts Aetna Dental. Cleanings every 6 months at no additional charge. X-rays every 2 years no additional charge. They pay 80% for fillings, root canals, crowns-including the crown build up. Their explanation of benefits is very clear and easy to understand.

Original review: April 12, 2019

I have saved thousands of dollars with Aetna Dental Access. It is the least expensive of all dental discount plans. Nothing I know matches it. This applies to everything from dental cleanings to implants etc etc. There is no better plan to my knowledge.

Get expert buying tips about Dental Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 10, 2019

Aetna is my supplemental insurance for Medicare, I find the coverage great but it's expensive. There is no coverage for dental or hearing aids which seniors really need. I had a hip replacement and between Medicare and Aetna I never saw a bill for the replacement or subsequent PT.

Original review: April 7, 2019

Aetna Dental has been very good. I had a broken tooth which I thought may have to have a dental implant. The dentist at Aspen Dental was able to cap the tooth. Aetna would have covered a good part of a dental implant if I had to have one. I recently changed to Aetna Dental In’s. I highly recommend Aetna.

Original review: April 3, 2019

Our family has had Aetna Health and Dental Insurance since 1975. Their customer service is and always has been outstanding, and in general you certainly know good customer service when you receive it. Even though we don't have a lot of experience with other insurance company's customer service, we were switched to Blue Cross for two years a few years ago, and their customer service was not nearly as good as Aetna. The coverage is what we receive from our employer, which is very good, but rating it when compared to coverages from other companies, I am not familiar with would be unfair.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aetna Dental Insurance?

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

This is by the far the WORST dental insurance plan I have had in my life. I'm not only paying more per month (with employee) but the coverage is ridiculous. I just paid 1200$ for a root canal. What is the purpose of having this insurance. The last root canal I had cost about $550 and I paid about $10 amount. With Aetna I pay $30 a month. Oh trust when it's time to renew benefits. I'm letting HR know that AETNA needs to go. If you're looking for major dental surgery, please go with someone else.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

Aetna Dental Insurance is awful. My daughter desperately needs to have oral surgery (wisdom teeth) but Aetna does NOT fully cover anesthesia. That's terrible! What's worse, Aetna only covers 50% of anesthesia at 15 minute intervals. The grand total cost to me for my daughter's procedure WITH Aetna coverage is a whopping $2,650!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2019

I have had Aetna Dental for 17 years and have seen a steady decline in their responsiveness and customer service. The most recent example involves a claim for a chipped tooth and crown, routine procedures by any measure. Aetna has repeatedly asked for information, which has been provided multiple times. And each step then involves a follow up “next requirement”. One customer service rep just asked for information I provided 6 months ago—she was the rep I provided the information to via their secure messaging system. My dentist’s office always sighs when I remind them who my provider is...a sign I should have heeded. I am typically loyal to companies and am usually reluctant to jump ship. But, the last few years have tested that resolve and I intend to move on during the next open enrollment.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

Aetna coverage/claims only benefit themselves. Additionally, I spent a total of 4 (four) hours on the phone with Aetna and received inconsistent information each time I called; I finally gave up. I had their best dental plan which has more loopholes than a con-man's playbook.

Original review: April 25, 2019

They have the worse coverage. It’s my health insurance and they will not pay enough so I have two dental insurance to cover me. The dentist will only file two so be ready to pay out of pocket. Can be expensive if you have to see a specialist.

Aetna Dental Insurance expert review by Cyril Tuohy

Aetna Dental Insurance, part of Aetna Health Inc.  stresses that dental care is a vital part of overall health, and thus aims to offer flexible coverage for any budget. The company itself dates back to the 1850s and is one of the largest insurance companies in the U.S. A merger with Humana is pending.

• A large network: Thanks to Aetna's extensive network, the company provides dental insurance to nearly 15 million people.

• Any scale: From individuals and families to small businesses, large organizations and retirees, Aetna has dental insurance products to suit them all.

• Plans for any stage: Aetna personalizes its plans for students, retirees, young professionals, children and other individuals.

• Great discounts: Being an Aetna policyholder can mean discounts between 15 and 50 percent for dental care services under the Vital Savings by Aetna program.

• Clear information: Aetna displays info on claims, dentists, bills and more neatly on its app and website.

• Standalone dental: Offered only in Alaska, Arizona, Delaware, Illinois and Pennsylvania.

• Best for: Aetna Dental is great for any individual, family or organization needing dental insurance.

Profile picture of Cyril Tuohy
Cyril Tuohy Insurance Contributing Editor

Cyril Tuohy, has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

Aetna Dental Insurance Company Information