Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.26/5

Looking for a dental insurance plan

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Aetna Dental Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aetna Dental Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aetna Dental Insurance?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2020

AETNA is absolutely HORRIBLE. I chose the most expensive plan because they said they cover dental implants. This procedure takes a very long time. COVID set me back even further. When I had my teeth extracted, I had a different employer. Now I have a new employer and AETNA won't cover a thing because they say it is a pre-existing condition! AETNA is a contributor to the downfall of this country. They are no different than the scamming credit cards. Shame on you AETNA. My mission is to inform every person I ever come in contact with not to choose AETNA, since that is my only available recourse!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2020

As part of my Aetna Medicare Advantage Dental Plan, I am to pay for my dental services and receive reimbursement a few weeks after services and claim sent to Aetna. I paid for dental services in February of 2020. Aetna mistakenly reimbursed the dentist. I have been trying since February to get reimbursed from Aetna. Aetna left the responsibility to me to try to get the dentist to reimburse me for an error they made. I have called Aetna and my dentist every month since February and I have yet to get my reimbursement. I am seriously considering cancelling my Medicare Advantage Plan with Aetna. Very, Very disappointed in their customer services and response to their error.

Get buying tips about Dental Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
    Original review: June 24, 2020

They don't give a plastic card like every other insurance provider. The medical providers available in network are subpar. This service is a scam to collect your money and provide less than acceptable medical care.

Original review: June 23, 2020

Dental insurance usually pays for two checkup/cleanings a year, and Aetna promises the same. About 15 years ago, I had to have periodontal (gum) surgery in which they grafted gum tissue from the roof of my mouth down to my bottom, front teeth. Ever since then, I take one of the two checkup/cleanings at my periodontist and one at my regular dentist. They each do the same thing. They clean and check my teeth for problems. The only difference is that they both also measure my gums for shrinkage.

My dental insurance has always paid for these visits as one of my regular free checkup/cleanings. There has never been a problem ever since -- until now. Even though it too promises two checkup/cleanings a year, Aetna dental insurance wants me to pay a $100 deductible, having decided that a "periodontal checkup" is not the same thing as a free "prophy checkup." Why? So they can weasel their way out of paying for the checkup/cleaning I need. I called Aetna, but they stand by their unjust reading of their magical coding policy while charging an exorbitant $60 a month fee to the customer and providing nada.

Original review: June 16, 2020

Aetna only does business with one endodontist in my area called Lovett Dental. This company has a horrible reputation. When I went to aetna's website to find other providers I was given a list of out of network providers all of which were at least a hundred miles from my location. I have messaged their Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/aetna/) and emailed them (socialmediacustomerservice@aetna.com). Alyssha claims to have sent me three different response emails but all I received was a link (http://www.aetna.com/aboutaetna/safeguard_data.htm) which prompts me to login then takes me to the main page and provides no information. In short, aetna's coverage is **,, its employees incompetent or indifferent and its provider scraped from the bottom of the barrel.

Original review: April 30, 2020

If you can avoid choosing this horrid company for your dental plan - do ti! I had no choice and just hung up from 14th (yes, fourteen calls) for trying to get a claim paid that I actually bothered to get a authorization for. I get that insurance companies deny claims hoping that people get frustrated and go away as I worked for one - but 14 times it should be pretty clear that I was not going away. This company is a joke, truly the state insurance oversight agencies should fine them or not allow them to operate. The only business that you pay with the expectation of NOT receiving that you paid for. I think I am passing on dental insurance if it is Delta and just paying out of pocket as my time is more valuable than anything this horrid company may or may not cover.

Original review: April 29, 2020

I have never seen an insurance company spend so much time on not paying claims as Aetna Dental. They first ask the dentist to send in excessive information multiple times. Then they deny. Then you appeal, can get no status online and after months get a letter stating they stay with their original decision. My latest was I retired and took Cobra and had Aetna. When Cobra ran out I took Aetna Individual. Their latest reason for not paying was the first part of my work was done under a different insurance. Even after sending them documentation they still denied. I am now working with the insurance commissioner in FL to get help.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

I have spent hours on the phone tracking my dental claims. Aetna's Dental processing department is truly incompetent. They will send your reimbursement to your provider when the claim clearly reflects the customer's receipt; lose the claim (even though included with a claim already processed); refuse to provide a person (supervisor's name); and separate a fax and claim they didn't receive it. I am ready to find a more efficient and effective insurance carrier.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

Aetna has no problem accepting my premium payments, but when it is time for them to pay out on a claim they have lots of issues and delayed. First they claimed that Aetna is the secondary insurance and will not make a payment on a claim submitted to another insurance company. This required several phone calls with Aetna to establish the fact that they are the primary insurance company. But....once that was solved, Aetna then informed me that the services were performed before the policy was in effect. Now I need to prove to them that the policy was in effect 4 years before the procedure occurred. I have discussed this situation with several representatives who have each told me that they would fix it within a week. And yet, it has not yet been fixed.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

Paying out phantom billing claims and believe the dentist even though evidence is showing the customer is right. Just got a email from the dentist. They made a mistake 8 months later. I have to correct Aetna's mistakes?

Aetna Dental Insurance author review by Cyril Tuohy

Aetna Dental Insurance, part of Aetna Health Inc.  stresses that dental care is a vital part of overall health, and thus aims to offer flexible coverage for any budget. The company itself dates back to the 1850s and is one of the largest insurance companies in the U.S. A merger with Humana is pending.

• A large network: Thanks to Aetna's extensive network, the company provides dental insurance to nearly 15 million people.

• Any scale: From individuals and families to small businesses, large organizations and retirees, Aetna has dental insurance products to suit them all.

• Plans for any stage: Aetna personalizes its plans for students, retirees, young professionals, children and other individuals.

• Great discounts: Being an Aetna policyholder can mean discounts between 15 and 50 percent for dental care services under the Vital Savings by Aetna program.

• Clear information: Aetna displays info on claims, dentists, bills and more neatly on its app and website.

• Standalone dental: Offered only in Alaska, Arizona, Delaware, Illinois and Pennsylvania.

by Cyril Tuohy Insurance Contributing Editor

Cyril Tuohy, has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

Aetna Dental Insurance Company Information