3.9/5 (460 ratings)

Looking for a dental insurance plan

Shop plans on Health Network now

Get quote now

Aetna Dental Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aetna Dental Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aetna Dental Insurance?

Original review: Aug. 3, 2022

I had to have a tooth replaced due to a root canal issue from over 20 yrs ago. I started the process at one job with Delta dental (these guys were great). Anyway, opportunity came about for a job I couldn’t pass up. Their insurance is Aetna, and the periodontist is out of network. No biggie. I pay upfront and get reimbursed about 1/2 of what I pay. I accepted it. Went through several sessions to prepare for the titanium screw post. Anyway they put the post in and turn in my claim after I pay over $2100 out of pocket. Aetna denies the claim. Missing tooth clause they say. Because the tooth was already missing when I acquired the insurance. So if you’re already missing teeth and you decide to replace them, I wouldn’t recommend them. I’m dreading what they will charge me when I get the tooth put in.

Original review: June 6, 2022

As an employee, I have no choice in my dental insurance provider. And, the coverage available to me through Aetna is very minimal. My husband is a cancer survivor and radiation to his head years ago have left his teeth in bad shape so I thought that any coverage would be helpful. However, my experience with Aetna is horrible and my dentist will no longer treat us unless we pay up front and we deal with Aetna because they hate Aetna too.

Aetna finds any random excuse to deny coverage. I hate calling them to discuss claims because the reps are in the Philippines and talk like robots.... Not empathetic to the issue at hand but just reading notes and rules, regardless of how ridiculous they are. And you never get to speak to the decision-makers because that isn't allowed. You think you are getting coverage as described in their documents but you aren't. It is a joke. Extremely, extremely frustrating and time-consuming dealing with them. Go elsewhere if possible.

Get buying tips about Dental Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2022

I just wanted to make an appointment for a basic check up and a cleaning. Nothing more. This has been a traumatic incident. First, a dentist that had been badgering me with texts, calls and emails for months for an appointment, tells me they don't accept my insurance after I showed up for the appointment. A complete waste of time. I call 3 more dentists in my area and nobody accepts the insurance. I finally find a dentist that does accept this insurance and they tell me I have to call the insurance and get assigned to that particular dentist.

I call and get transferred from one number to the next, given this number to call, then that number to call, JUST TO MAKE A BASIC DENTAL APPOINTMENT! I started this journey at 930am. It is now noon and I'm no closer, still on hold, to being able JUST TO BE ASSIGNED A DENTIST, so I can then call the dentist to actually set the appointment. HOW DO I CANCEL THIS HORRIBLY IRRITATING AETNA DENTAL DPO INSURANCE?

Original review: Dec. 1, 2021

I had the worst experience with Aetna dental insurance. The people who answered the phone did not know what are they doing and very unprofessional. They just try to get the money from you and would not provide you the service. Be aware if you want to get a dental insurance plan. There are other providers have the better service for the customers. It will save your time and less headache. STAY AWAY FROM AETNA DENTAL INSURANCE AND THESE RUDE PEOPLE.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2021

Aetna is great insurance for basic dental needs like biannual cleanings. It can be a little less economical for anything extra like adult orthodontics or extractions. Nonetheless, it is accepted at nearly every dentist office I have ever used, so it is useful.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2021

Oak Hill Dental in Rillton Pa Is excellent, like family they go the extra mile for you. However, Aetna Insurance itself hard to connect and get a straight answers for anything. They like to pass the buck, even the dental office has issues with them. All these Insurance companies are too big and the customer is just a number. The agents are the worse. Once you sign up you never hear from them again. They get paid every year no matter what. Cost of Medicare needs to stop increasing every year after they increase your Social Security. The people lose every time. Best to shop around every year. Go for the most benefits and lowest cost you can find. Remember online never give your true phone number. These companies are like blood suckers. One call after the other because medicare is easy money for them. That is all they care about.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2021

We have been with them for several years. This company has always been extremely professional and efficient and helpful when dealing with them. Claims are paid on time and the folks on the call center always pay attention to our needs.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2021

One never receives the actual total amount of coverage, on any oral work, to be done, until it is complete, and at which time, often is usually about half of what Aetna had previously quoted doctor’s accounting staff. There needs to be better communications between Aetna Insurance, Doctor’s office staff and patient.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2021

Medicare insurance sucks. Shouldn't have to pay any co-pays or deductibles. Every time I go to a doctor, it's money, money, money... Doctors & hospitals always overcharging you, paid in all my life & still getting **on it.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

Had a Great experience with Melissa K! She has been there through reaching out and finding me and all my car loans and did a bang up job in all the refinancing lowered rates! Hats off to her and her team. Thank You So VERY MUCH!!!

Aetna Dental Insurance author review by Cyril Tuohy

Aetna Dental Insurance, part of Aetna Health Inc.  stresses that dental care is a vital part of overall health, and thus aims to offer flexible coverage for any budget. The company itself dates back to the 1850s and is one of the largest insurance companies in the U.S. A merger with Humana is pending.

• A large network: Thanks to Aetna's extensive network, the company provides dental insurance to nearly 15 million people.

• Any scale: From individuals and families to small businesses, large organizations and retirees, Aetna has dental insurance products to suit them all.

• Plans for any stage: Aetna personalizes its plans for students, retirees, young professionals, children and other individuals.

• Great discounts: Being an Aetna policyholder can mean discounts between 15 and 50 percent for dental care services under the Vital Savings by Aetna program.

• Clear information: Aetna displays info on claims, dentists, bills and more neatly on its app and website.

• Standalone dental: Offered only in Alaska, Arizona, Delaware, Illinois and Pennsylvania.

by Cyril Tuohy Insurance Advisor

Cyril Tuohy has covered the insurance industry for more than 15 years. He is an expert at writing about personal and commercial property-casualty insurance and covers life, annuities and retirement as a staff writer for a top insurance trade magazine aimed at insurance agents and financial advisors.

Aetna Dental Insurance Company Information