Little feet, big responsibility

Take steps towards protecting loved ones. Compare term life plans today.

Protect my family
Transamerica Life Insurance
3.30/5

Transamerica Life Insurance

Little feet, big responsibility

Take steps towards protecting loved ones. Compare term life plans today.

Protect my family

150 Transamerica Life Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I have 7 different accounts with Transamerica and they have been great to work with over the years! My wife and I started our first account 11 years ago and have been impressed by their customer service and how their accounts perform. I had 250k term coverage with a different company and was able to double my coverage with the same premium. It hasn’t always been a perfect interaction, but they have been great to fix mistakes and take ownership for them which is great to see from a company you place your life savings with. One of the best companies out there in the financial industry, coming from a former wall street stock trader!

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I am very happy with my product and services that I have with Transamerica! It is a little shocking to see all these bad reviews but it seems like they did not have a good agent. I had a lovely experience with my agent and he explained to me on how everything works. Keep in mind that Index Universal life is not a short term product! Do not cancel before 15 years!

Get expert buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

Very professional and a great variety of products! Good customer service! Sat down with the reps and they were paying attention to my needs, which was very comforting especially with the topic that was being discussed.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

My previous employer had swapped our retirement investing company so I started a new 401k Jan 1st or so of 2017 from scratch. Since I had nothing to lose I selected the aggressive approach that deals mainly in stocks and small percent to bonds. My prior employer always gave a 1-3% raise and out of that, I had a total contribution rate of 8% directly out of my bi-weekly salary (If you are reading this bare with me I just want to elaborate) and my employer paid 3% of my 39,000/year salary. My co-workers were jealous when they compared my aggressive approach vs their low-risk portfolio. I quit in May 2018 so from Jan 1st 2017 to May 2018 my total earnings and contributions totaled $14,250! Don't get me wrong. The contributions did most of the total however Transamerica's investing strategy was impressive, I seldomly if at all seen a loss, but the GAIN WAS AMAZING. They're fast, knowledgeable, professional, and smart portfolio investors.

Anyway, last night I submitted a lump sum withdrawal then next day my employer had approved it and Transamerica let me know that it was in fact approved and processing. The time frame given to me was 1-4 days to process after approved and 1-3 days for it to be processed by the bank for direct deposit. Additional info:

Due to my age and early withdrawal there is a 20% fed taxes and $50 fee to TA. I will also have to pay 10% of 14250 at tax time. So my deposit will be $11,000+. As for the time frame from admin approval to deposit I will have to keep you posted.

Original review: June 4, 2018

The agent I talked to was very helpful. He answered all my questions in a way that I could easily understand and without making you feel like I was obligated to buy insurance from his company. He told me the details about the policy and that I could borrow money from the policy. He did not push me for an immediate answer. He gave me a copy of the policy to look over for a few days and have time to compare with other companies I had considered. Very good policy, excellent agent and reasonable price.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Transamerica?

Original review: May 14, 2019

My company is using Transamerica 401K service, they had some updates in the website, and me and a lot of other employees need to re-register all over again. The only way you can re-register is to call the CS rep which is a long wait and the customer services is really rude and unprofessional . After that we re-registered and create an account, many of us are unable to log into the account and you would have to call their representatives again, which is frustrating and annoying.

And the customer representative is very impatient, rude and talking with an attitude. After re-registering, I asked her name so I know who helped me out and ask for the case reference number, in case I would need to call the third time just to locked into my account, she refused to tell me her name. I asked again, eventually she told me her name : "**". I asked for her last name, she said no again and she can not know her name, and she said, "I am the only ** in the team." I mean I called because your company system/website is not working! Just wasted my a lot of time just to hold on to the line to get an unprofessional CS rep talk to me who is not even solving the problem. Yes, I just can not log in to my account.

Original review: May 9, 2019

My father has had a cancer policy with Transamerica for almost 20 years and unfortunately this January was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. :( We started calling them in early February to find out what benefits he had under the policy. It’s mid-May and still we have zero info even on what the policy covers!! Much less has it paid him a dime for his treatments and suffering. First, they told us their system had his first and middle name backwards and they had to have a copy of his driver's license to prove it was him. What, how does that happen. Anyway, Sent that TWICE before they said they got it. Then, they said their system had erased his social security number and that had to be verified with a w-5.

Again, how does that happen! But, Sent that in. Then he completed a Form for me to be his representative to help get info from them because by now he’s too sick to fool with them. Guess what, they didn’t get it and wouldn’t talk to me! So I had to help my sick father call again and by now he’s beyond upset that they haven’t offered him any benefits. Today they said I can email the personal representative form for me to help him again! Usually they make us fax everything so at least now we can email! She also told me that she would put a packet in the mail today (May 9) to explain daddy’s benefits and get him started on paperwork!!

First phone call to tell them he had cancer was early Feb! Never once, in our many phone calls, have they said they were sorry my dad had cancer! On top of crappy customer service; they have NO compassion!! Unfortunately we are stuck with them because my father can’t get coverage any where else since his diagnosis, so we keep on until they pay. I believe they hope policy holders give up so they don’t have to pay.

Original review: May 7, 2019

I surrendered a policy 4/10/19. The amount that I was suppose to get is less than $1000. They told me it takes 10 days to process. Funds was wired to my account on the 17th but found out that my bank do not support wire transfers and was told by my bank that it should have bounced back to the sender same day. I called Transamerica Monday 4/22 to inform them about it. Transamerica claims that they did not receive a return notification from my bank. The whole week I called Transamerica to check if they received the funds back from my bank and was told over and over again that they did not receive the funds back. They gave me a FED TRACE number to give to my bank. I finally was able to get the FED TRACE RETURN# from my bank. True enough, it was sent back to Transamerica 4/18.

I then called Transamerica 4/30 and gave them the Return# and told them to mail me the check overnight. On 5/2, I checked to see if the check had been sent and was told that it is in process. 5/3 I was given a FEDEX tracking#... that tracking number never left the Transamerica office. 5/6 10am, I called again and was given another FEDEX tracking# saying that they had to void the check and reissue under my new name (which they already knew since 4/25). It is now 5:30 pm PST time, Transamerica office is closed, the FedEx tracking # is still in Transamerica Florida office. There are so many gaps in the way they do business. How could their finance department not know about a bounce back wire transfer that is tied to a wire they sent out?

I called so many times, to tell them that I did not receive the wire transfer, but no one care enough to check where the money went. All I got was, "we no longer have the funds, the wire went through". 10 days pass, I found out that the money was sitting in their account until now. 2x I was given a FEDEX overnight tracking# that never left their office. Tomorrow I will call again, I wonder what excuse I’ll get from them.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Have been trying to get a claim processed from my dad's life insurance. The claims representatives will not even talk to you. "They only do paperwork." The customer service representatives do not have the information to answer any questions. This is just a way to defraud beneficiaries who are already dealing with the loss of their loved one. They make it almost impossible to file and get paid for a claim.

Original review: April 9, 2019

The Interpleader Process is something you need to know about when getting an insurance policy from Transamerica. Or, you may become a victim as I became of not only Transamerica, but also of our Federal Court system that defends what they do and always by ruling in their favor. I posted much information about what they did to me as a beneficiary of an insurance policy my mom had with them, but somehow those posts which previously were easily accessible are not so anymore.

I strongly suspect there has been some manipulation of the search criteria, but by whom I suspect, I will not say. For a while, with those posts easy to find, Transamerica laid off with their interpleader process, but now with my posts no longer easy to find and therefore mostly hidden, now I see they are back at it again! You need to know what risks you place yourself in when becoming a client of Transamerica! To find them, you now have to Google with much greater precision: “Whenever I am falsely accused” Transamerica. Transamerica Interpleader Rip off Report. Ripped off with Bogus Allegations Transamerica. Transamerica court cases Justia.

The last one, provides information of opened interpleader court cases involving Transamerica, but all cases, both them suing their customers and being sued by their customers. You need to read what I wrote in those posts so you will not fall victim and lose as much as 25% of what they are supposed to pay you as beneficiary. That money they are supposed to pay you will go to lawyers they will hire to perform what I assess as menial legal services and also I strongly suspect to Transamerica itself which they deny by referring to themselves as “disinterested third party.”

Original review: April 4, 2019

We had 2 life insurance policies with Transamerica since 9/30/08 through an agent. As we were approaching the end of the 10 year term period we had several discussions with the agent that we wanted to terminate policy at 9/30/18 as premium was due to increase 8-10 fold. One policy was due to increase from $168 to $1,276 and the other from $38 to $460 per month. There would be no reason to pay those premiums unless you were terminally ill and uninsurable or lost your mind. I instructed him that upon expiration we would search for best alternatives. There was no rush as we had other coverage from other carriers.

Transamerica indicated since we had pre-authorized withdrawals and agent did not provide the required surrender form to terminate we were ripped off for 4 months to tune of $6,700+ until I caught this. If we did not have pre-authorized withdrawal this would have been avoided. This is very shady practice. Transamerica has refused to return our money. This is total BS. Since we are novices in life insurance space and Transamerica and agent are the professional who should have provided documentation to close out at term expiration. This company has acted irresponsibly and failed to act in a prudent manner. I would AVOID TRANSAMERICA at all costs.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

This company is horrible. All they do is give you the runaround. "Check is in processing," is all I’ve heard for the past month. What a joke! I hope nobody has a death in the family and has to wait on this company for a check because if you do you’ll be waiting a long time!

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I have held an accidental death policy with this company for 15 years. When I signed up for this type of policy it did not state on my application that they could terminate the plan for any reason. Payments were always made on time. I just received a letter stating that the policy will be terminated. The letter indicated that they had the right to terminate for any reason and the reason was the company had decided they didn't want to provide this type of policy anymore. I called customer service and asked if I would be receiving a refund of the premiums I have paid for the past 15 years and they said no. I would not recommend doing business with this company.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

My wonderful father passed away in December 2018. He had faithfully paid his bi-yearly bill with Transamerica Life Insurance company for years until I took over as his Fiduciary/Payee/Attorney-In-Fact. Needless to say, that after I received my dad's official death certificate, I sent in all of the necessary documents that they requested of me. I had to call the company, asking what was the delay in payment. They shared with me that I needed to complete other documents, which I did. I recently received a letter from this fraudulent company asking me to complete the exact same forms. Another interesting fact was that they requested a copy of my dad's Obituary!! I have never heard of such a request in my life!! They were able to see from the Obituary, my dad's race/ethnicity.

I have contacted my personal lawyer and we are not only filing a personal lawsuit with this company, but are gathering information to file a class action lawsuit as well, and handing it over to the Attorney General's office and the State Attorney office in Washington, DC. We are requesting punitive damages, emotional stress, racism as being a factor as well. I have closed both insurance policies that I've had with this company for my husband and I and want everyone to know how crooked, illegal, miss-guiding, and fraudulent they are. PLEASE DO NOT EVER APPLY FOR ANY KIND OF INSURANCE WITH THIS COMPANY!!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

To receive my retirement benefits they require the birth certificate of my wife be translated from Spanish at a courthouse and notarized by clerk of court. When I requested my 401k be rolled over they required my request be accompanied by a special seal from a bank officer. They are crooks.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Stay away from this company. They do not care about the policyholders. Just about their money that why they keep getting lawsuits over the years. This whole time I thought my payment was coming out on the 15th so I called on the 10th to cancel your policy because I don’t want to be with a company that keeps getting lawsuits but my premium was coming out on the 10th so I’m not getting my premium back because they swear they can’t refund it. Freaking scammers stay away!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

Several months ago I was sent an email from Transamerica email telling me I needed to re-register my account. When I attempted to do so, I received an error stating that my information could not be validated with a number to call. I called this number last week and was on the phone for nearly an hour and was finally told the issue was resolved. After first being told the issue was that I needed to register my account using Internet Explorer (!!!). I was then told that the issue was that my name was in the system backward (first name as last name and vice versa). The person helping me explained that my name had been updated and that if I waited 24 hours I would be able to register. He also promised that he would personally call me the next day to ensure I was able to get into my account.

I have tried many times since this occasion to register my account and continue to receive the same message - that my information cannot be validated. I have tried calling and have been told wait times were 30 minutes plus to speak with someone -- after already spending hours on the phone trying to resolve this issue and after not receiving the promised phone call. I would like to make changes to my account and every day I cannot sign in is another day I am not making these changes, and not saving the appropriate amount for retirement.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

Just trying to ask for a change of beneficiary form. Took 50 minutes on the phone. They kept transferring my call, then their computer broke down and asked if I would hang up and call back and get someone else to answer! Supposedly they are mailing the form. Total buffoonery. I have no hope of ever receiving that form. Any reputable company has a downloadable form online. Where is the insurance commission? This company is so rotten it needs to be investigated. Class action lawsuit time.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

My wife and I were with Transamerica for about 15 years and all seem to be good until my wife took out from her 401K about $6000 to invest with Transamerica. Our financial adviser Louis ** from Schaumburg Illinois took the check and that was it. Over a year went by and my wife wanted to follow up on her investment and to her surprise, Luis held on to the check, never invested it. WOW! Then my wife started reading all the bad reviews and couldn't believe all the bad ones which were about 99%. After an investigation she was awarded a small settlement. We decided to pull our money out and like all the other reviews, it's like pulling teeth from somebody that's running. Over a month and still no check. I'm very surprised that this company is still in business and even more surprised that the BBB isn't shutting them down. Invest in a bigger more reliable investment firm with good credentials and you won't lose any sleep.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I have told this company numerous times I am no longer interested. Requested info and never got it but yet they keep calling and emailing me about setting up phone interview for Underwriting. My info needs to be deleted out of their system asap - I feel that my info (social security #) etc is not safe in their system. They also need to stop emailing and calling my number. I have told them this to no avail. Very unprofessional.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I, like other people have written on both this website as well as the Yelp website, have been trying for over a year to complete a simple 401K rollover from Transamerica to my new 401K company. I have called Transamerica multiple times, completed the paperwork and tasks that are requested, and then am assured I've done everything I need for the rollover. Then a few weeks later I am told that some paperwork is missing, am made to do the same paperwork (which has already been completed and faxed in the past) again. I have been trying for over 1 year to roll over my funds from Transamerica and have been unsuccessful thus far. Every time I call I get a new customer service agent who has a new problem/excuse as to why the rollover was not completed and a new task for me to complete to ensure it works. The cycle has been going like this for over a year.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I got my index insurance 8 years ago through insurance company called Western Reserve. I used to get fair excess interest by then as I was promised by the policy. Then two years later, I got letter stated it was merged into Transamerica. My policy states that I will get minimum 1%, maximum of 13.25% interest. Then despite my cash value is higher than before, they barely credited any excess interest. I called them few times for explanation. The agent treat me like dirt and told me I didn’t get interest because the economy is bad. Actually the economy is doing much better than before. I was scammed by unprofessional agents to begin with by being told this is the best money making and my money will grow fast which is not. Don’t buy indexed whole insurance to grow your money. You will be better off keeping your money in bonds or CDs.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I was in a car accident in August. I was seen in the emergency room and had (and am still seeing numerous Drs) follow up appointments. I saw a chiropractor for two weeks and did physical therapy for 6 weeks. I had 2 MRIs and have been getting weekly trigger point injections in my spine. I have had nerve and muscle testing as well. I submitted my claim, to include detailed office receipts detailing treatment provided.

I've called numerous time to check on claim process. It is now December 19 and I receive a letter stating I need to provide documentation of emergency treatment that includes treating diagnosis code for date of loss and I have until December 24 or claim will be closed. That's all it states. I've supplied them with EVERYTHING I was able to get and offered to send EOB from insurance that would have the codes and they said it couldn't come from my insurance, only the practitioner. When I called them numerous occasions, they never told me I needed further documentation.

Now the week before Christmas, they say this? The customer service representatives are rude and not knowledgeable of the product. The lady I spoke with today was extremely rude and kept telling me that I didn't have surgery that she can see and I need to submit proof of surgery? Say what? Is having surgery a requirement??? I'm supposed to be compensated for the MRIs, the follow up visits and the physical therapy appointments. My company switched t this company from Aflac and what a mistake that was! I'm not going to be renewing this trash policy. From what I heard from others (I didn't have to use), Aflac was much easier to deal with and paid claims out promptly. Don't waste your money on this company. They don't care about your accident and don't even pretend to. They give you the run around and are extremely rude and even their communication via mail is insufficient.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

Although highly rated by its peers and brokers, this company is really dragging its feet when it comes to meet their paying obligation. It is taking months to make a decision, restarting their 2 months clock for missing info while not notifying of missing anything. All this of course while keeping stocking monthly premium payments. Poor communications.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2018

My employer had 401K money with Transamerica. When I left there, I tried to get my money transferred out. With other companies, this is a very easy online process. You put in the new account info and funds are transferred. Here, I have spent MONTHS trying to get my money. Every time I talk to them I hear a different story and get different forms. Today - after submitting the form they asked me to send weeks ago - I get an email saying for me to call THEM. I call - I have to go through their automated call hell and now waiting 30 minutes for a customer service representative to call me back. I was so frustrated by their process. I even asked to put it in another fund within Transamerica. They could not do that either. I can’t say enough how bad this company has been.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

My employer switched to this company last year. The premiums were higher and benefits less. I tripped over my pet, fell and broke my ribs. Went to the doctor the next day. I was also diagnosed with an upper respiratory infection. Due to the fact the dr listed the upper respiratory infection 1st, the claim was denied. The dr report stated in black and white, patient complaining of rib pain. Patient states tripped over pet and fell. X-rays were done showing broke rib. These reports were sent as well. I appealed twice. Worst customer service I have ever received. Claim filed in August, we are now in December and I had to call to get the denied answer. No correspondence at all. Don't waste your money.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

Will never ever do business with these people. Accidental and disability claim just a round and round circle ⭕️ and the customer service representatives are real **. Just liars. Been with them since 2012 and never got paid off of a claim then and here we are in 2018 still not getting paid again and it’s all about little things like dates on forms missing and other BS. This company just does not want to pay sick people and that’s just it. Plain and simple.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

My mother in law suffered a heart attack and was forced to retire. She tried to get in contact with Transamerica to start withdrawing her money. They refused to help her. My wife and I started to help her and again, no help. They said contact her HR department. Her HR department said that we had to contact Transamerica. Even the paperwork said to contact Transamerica. My mother in law has now passed away and we have been doing a back and forth with Transamerica. They keep sending paperwork every few months telling us that this is it. Only to get more paperwork requiring notarized signatures.

It's been almost a year since my wife and I got involved. Honestly I feel that this company is a scam. They keep coming up with excuses to delay paying out. The overall feeling is that they want to make it as hard as possible for people to withdraw in hopes that they give up. Seriously, how hard would it be to give us one list of what we need to do to get the money?

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

This is a company that is notoriously known for its unlawful business practice and scam. My agent Rhoda ** scammed me into setting up a savings account with an insurance benefit but failed to mention a surrender period. I'm a student who wanted to save money so I can use it to pay off my student loan, and she informed me that I will be able to withdraw the money after 5 years of savings. I trusted her word as I was thinking she had my best interest at heart. Instead, she hid important terms of the policy from me that I later found out (two years later) from calling Transamerica customer service where they detailed the plan in its entirety.

I immediately became disappointed and frustrated simultaneously, as they told me that they will keep the money they've been taking out of my account for the past two years. The agent Rhoda, a phony, callous financial advisor pretty much lied to me in order to get me to sign the documents. PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY. Even more, the company has numerous class action and legal preceding against it and I'll most certainly be taking action as well. My plans to pay my student loan with my savings plan after five years is now completely upside down as they insist on keeping my funds and my keeps increasing because of the interest.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

My wife was approved for adult day care benefits in June of 2018 after an evaluation from a nurse chosen by Transamerica. I enrolled my wife in daycare in July. I submitted a claim in August for the July expenses. Then the process of need proof of lost documents. (Not well defined at all.) And since Transamerica only communicates with US mail which for some reason takes 7-10 days to reach me we went back and forth on what was submitted, what was still outstanding and what crossed in the mail. I then submitted a billing statement for August.

During December we were still trying to get the appropriate information from the daycare provider (which I had to do since Transamerica does not talk to providers). This went on long enough for me to send in a Sept. billing statement and then discover that they were asking for information that according to my policy was not needed for a licensed facility. At the end of October I was told that they now had all of the information that they needed to review my claim. They said they would need up to 15 days to review. I then submitted my October billing statement.

Today, November 15th I called to find out the status. Everything is now approved, however all of my billing statements have to wait until they process Nov. 5th claims (the date considered that everything was approved.) However they are in the process of processing claims from Oct. 23rd. Doing some math this means they are weeks behind in processing claims and I won't probably see any money until mid. December.

So if you are planning to work with this company be advised that your initial claim will take at least 5 months or more. I don't know how long subsequent claims will take. Heaven forbid I move my wife to another center and have to through this torturous process again. I don't have a lot of confidence that they will process all of the billing statements I have sent. They did not seem to know that the billing statements existed when I called today. They did eventually find them but will the people who actually do the payments find them? I will know in mid December. I hope I don't have to call again to guide these people.

Transamerica Life Insurance Company Information