Transamerica Life Insurance

Compare Life Insurance

Research top Life Insurance recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

San Fernando Valley - Encino office. N ** was the agent. DON'T DO THIS!!! PLEASE LEARN FROM ME. THEY WILL TAKE YOUR MONEY AND LIE. My so called friend/coworker who knew about ALL of my struggles in my life... Had introduced me to this pyramid scheme!!! I trusted her and her boyfriend. I had known her for years. After attending their Saturday workshops in the Encino Office and a couple times in Oxnard, I was convinced to purchase the life insurance (Transamerica), $250,000 policy. I paid for 12 months up to $300.00 a month; me trusting them was given the contract, which was really thick and in very small print. I asked several questions and it was all lies.

After paying into this policy for 12 months... over $3000.00, I was reading and found that my policy was only worth $1539.00. They had deductions and fees over 1500.00. After speaking to several representatives it was explained that the people who bring you in (so much for friends) are making over $5,000.00. You will pay the first 5 years before you see any money. There is a "surrender fee" that was never explained!!! He had assured me that I can cancel at any time; which if you do before the 5 years they keep all of your money! So I lost over $3000.00. Which is a lot of money.

I am a single mother and work as a social worker (Not making a lot of money). My so called friend knew of my struggles, so I trusted her. They sure did make it sound great! Too good to be true! They are heartless! Previously, I had been depositing that amount of money into my PERS account. I am so disgusted that people can do this to each other as I always try my best to do what is correct and never take advantage of others!

I tried to extend my term life insurance and was blown off and told that my rates would more than triple. GRRR I just received a monthly rate with IntelliQuote for $55 per month fixed for 100k. I am 64 years old and in great health. No options were made by the customer service people at Transamerica. Pissed off yup.

I pay 54.00 per pay period for short term disability to have 2,600 no th in coverage. When plan was sold to us at work we were told for accidents we would be covered day 1 and for illness at day 7. I had an accident and tore my plantar fascia off the bottom of my foot. I work at a hospital and am required to be on my feet for 12 hour shifts. I went to my surgeon and was casted and taken off for min of 12 weeks as it's a very long recovery process. I had the physician fill out the ridiculous amount of paperwork required as well as my work, and my personal required paperwork. I submitted. They say they don't process for 14-21 working days and they absolutely don't.

After waiting the 21 working days I was denied because my Dr stated I could do sedentary work but had to be completely non-weight bearing. My work wrote a letter stating that they had no sedentary work and attached a copy of my job description. 21 more days pass and I get another denial saying I'm not disable and it's not their fault my job doesn't have any sedentary work for me. I then talked with Transamerica and was I informed that the only way they will pay is if Dr fills out all new paperwork stating I am completely disabled. I had that done and resubmitted and after 21 working days wait received a letter stating I was denied due to discretions in the physician's paperwork.

This company does everything in its power to never pay. They are a joke. I have done everything instructed to do 100% and they just keep denying. In the meantime my foot hasn't gotten better and I am facing surgery and I still have not been approved. I think this company takes premiums and denies until you give up so they don't have to pay. BTW I tried to cancel the insurance and they stated that with my employer we signed up for a year and cannot cancel my coverage unless I am terminated. So I'm out not getting paid but they are still collecting their 108.00 per month premium for absolutely no coverage.

PLEASE SAVE YOURSELF THIS PAIN AND AGONY AND NERVE RACKING STRESS AND DON'T BUY ANYTHING FROM TRANSAMERICA. Also encourage you to read complaints about Transamerica. I'm far from the only one with the exact same issues. They obviously don't pay across the board on life and other services. It's all the same story. Buyers beware! This is fraudulent company taking advantage of people.

Back in December, Transamerica Life withdrew from my account $6.30, twice. In total $12.60. I couldn't get a hold of anyone in English so I talked to them in Spanish. I gave the lady on the phone my new account and agreed to pay for the new month. Now, they are charging me for not paying them. I wish Senator Warren would trust bust. Like Theodore Roosevelt. Read Teddy Roosevelt's trust busting program. Another bad company is AT&T. I thought you couldn't send anything in fine print.

Mom bought W/L policies from JCP over the years. Transamerica bought JCP. Over the years changes in family required updated beneficiary, payment methods, addresses and eventually ownership. EVERY time I call it is a MINIMUM of 45 minutes to get a human. (Sometimes nearly two hours). EVERY thing they claim to mail takes weeks to get here, and then every form has some typo error or the wrong spelling or address - causing the process to start all over. Even when they email forms to you it takes 5-7 days???

Their latest issue is this: we made me the policy owner 7 years ago. They acknowledge that I am the owner but they screwed up the data entry in 2010 and have mom's 1931 birthday assigned to me. I discovered this in 2013, mailed them their form with my photo ID to correct it. They FAILED again. In 2017 I discovered their ongoing malfeasance and they insist I do their job for them a THIRD time. THIS IS BY FAR THE WORST COMPANY I HAVE EVER DEALT WITH and I urge all who read this to take your insurance needs elsewhere!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Transamerica?

We lost the original life policy and have requested a copy of the policy with Transamerica. I sent in the form they asked for and have called the company 7 times now in a month & a half time frame. The customer rep first call said it had been mailed out. I called back 2 weeks later claiming I hadn't received it. They stated they mailed it and what happens to it after the post offices receives it is out of their hands. I call several more times, they state they will send another policy out again, and again, it never arrives.

By this time I am to the point I practically scream at the customer rep because I am so sick of them telling me it has been sent, it will be sent, it will be sent again. I get the same runaround. I wait for 1/2 hr to 45 minutes every time I call. A few times the service rep picks up and acts like they don't hear me, then hang up after I waited 45 minutes. I have asked to speak to a supervisor or anyone in charge but they can not give me anyone's number to call. They offer to have a supervisor call in a 48 hr. Time frame. No calls ever come.

It's also funny all these years we thought we were paying into a whole life $15,000 policy my husband had got at work, and now suddenly it is some type of policy that has a face value of $4,500. We can't find our original policy and that is why I am requesting a copy, but they WILL NOT SEND ONE. For years we never got a yearly update from them so we were under the assumption we had this $15,000 whole life policy. Suddenly this year we got a yearly invoice which alerted me that something wasn't jiving.

I am so aggravated that this company can get by with this. Isn't there anyone who monitors the insurance companies and makes sure they follow certain guidelines. The other reviews I've read about this company from others shows how rotten Transamerica is. I am thinking about pulling our money out and being done with them, that is, if I can get them to close the account and issue a check. I would advise everyone to not do business with this company.

These were charged on a JCP and a Discover Card for monthly payments. Original Policy said "Never goes up in price" = but it did. I had 3 policies, now have 2. I called to ask for copies and they were MAILED to me... The names are totally messed up. I now have two policies on me on paper, even tho on the phone, said both were for my husband and nothing for my daughter!!! At this point, I am paying $9.95 to Discover for 1, $16.60 to JCP for two but only have two total and not correct. When trying to correct, they gave me a number that I was on hold 48 minutes one day and 65 min the following day... Finally hanging up in dismay. Policy since 2008 and now everything is GONE. RIPOFF in worst way!!!

This company charged money to my JCP acct without my authorization. Now JCP is charging late fees to my acct and I can't get caught up. This company needs to be sued for fraudulent activity. I have tried resolving with JCP. They tell me to call Transamerica, you can't get thru. Bad business practices from both JCP and Transamerica.

Transferred my company 401K to an IRA. Months passed and I could not get into the website and did not receive a statement. Markets were good and my other IRA was doing very well at one of their competitors. After months of emails and many calls on hold, I was finally able to get into my account to find a Negative return! I then tried to transfer my IRA to another investment firm. On Hold for 45 min, then sent multiple forms which require them to be Notarized... Meanwhile I am losing money. This company is ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE!

My father-in-law passed away February 4, 2017. On behalf of my mother-in-law, I opened a death claim (online) for his FIVE policies on Feb 6th. We didn't even get an acknowledgement letter until March 1st. The letter was dated Feb 22nd and addressed to my father-in-law, the deceased. On March 2nd, I called the company and was told the claim was being reviewed to see if there was any additional paperwork required. (I'm pretty sure they'll want a death certificate!) They said the review would take at least 30 WORKING days.

I work for a major insurance company and if I took 30 working days to respond to a claim, the company would be fined and I could expect to be fired. I explained to the rep this is not acceptable in today's environment. They are quick to take premium money and cancel a policy if not paid, but, when a death occurs, they're pretty slow in processing the death benefit proceeds needed to assist in the funeral bill. So glad my life insurance is NOT with this company. I wouldn't want to put this burden on my family. I had to give a 1 star rating as that was the minimum and I guess I should give them credit for answering their phone after trying to reach them for days.

Last year I contacted Transamerica to stop taking $ from my paycheck, which I DID NOT approve. It took numerous contacts, letters and phone calls for them to stop. They refused to reimburse me the $300 they took. Today, I noticed that AGAIN they are taking money out, again WITHOUT my approval. Over $200 this time. How can I get them to stop and not start again?

This is by far the worst insurance company in the world to deal with. As if losing a loved one isn't stressful enough, they make the situation worst. My mother passed away 2 months ago and I am still waiting on her claim to be paid out. When I first called to inform them of my mother's death, I was told that I would receive a claim form in the mail. One week, 2 weeks, no form. So I called to inquire as to why I never received the form. I was told, "Oh we mailed a form out to you last week. You should get it soon". I then asked if she could verify the address, of course they entered the wrong city and state to send the forms which explains why I never got the form. So she then states she would send me another one.

I then begin to think that it's very funny that having the policy for over 11 years, I never missed a payment, I received every bill, every increase notice, etc. to the correct address. Now all of a sudden I need to cash in the policy you now don't have the right address. What a joke! So by now I've lost faith in this company so I call again the next day and spoke to another representative who understood the back and forth I was getting and said "Why didn't they just email the form. I can send you one right now". Why was this not done before? Why did I have to keep calling? I got the form the same day and was able to fill it out and fax it back over the same day.

Now it have been over a month since sending everything in, still no updates. No check. I paid for my mother's services out of my own pocket, so yes I need my money. Every time I call them for an update, I get told the same thing over and over again. "We received your paper work", "looks like everything is processing", etc etc. They play games and will take your money with no problem, but give you a hard time when it comes to doing their part and paying the claim. I will be taking this matter further to get results. I know people that have policies with other companies and never had to wait this long for a claim to be paid.

This is the worst life insurance company I have ever dealt with! My mother had insurance with Medical Mutual years ago. I'm talking back in the 50's when they came to collect at your home. She paid weekly and always had her money saved down to the penny. She passed away in July 2015 and when we turned over her policies to the funeral home, they stated one policy was good. I made numerous phone calls speaking with different reps which I received no satisfaction. Even though I had my certificate that it was paid because I could not show payments of this they would not pay out any money. My mother was 93 years old when she passed and this policy of $500.00 was paid years ago.

I also had 3 policies for a brother that passed in 2016. Because one of the policies did not have a beneficiary although the other two had me as being, they would not send a check for again $500.00. I have called for weeks concerning this policy and spoke to a rep. today just asking them to send the money to the funeral home to pay on my brother's funeral bill as it is still outstanding and they won't even do this. They say since he was married his wife will have to sign a form. Well guess what we can't locate her! If you have insurance with this company I would advise you to cash out what you have as soon as you can and run as fast from them as you can. They did nothing for me or my family. They should be sued!

Transamerica issued me a check in 2013 which I did not cash while I pursued other options than accept it. I gave up and in December contacted Transamerica to request a replacement for the stale dated check. They jerk me around on the phone, 15 times have promised to call me back and don't. Nearly 2 months and I continue, no check, no calls back.

My mom Mildred **, had Alzheimer's, and other health issues. She purchased what she thought was life insurance but instead was accidental death. She wanted to make sure her funeral was paid for. Was purchased through Monumental Life. Then sold to Transamerica. She paid faithfully. This is so misleading and deceptive. How can you sleep at night knowing you took advantage of a sick and elderly lady. Your company says that you're committed to help people. She had Alzheimer's. This can't be legal. She was a proud lady and very honest. She was a Christian lady. She was under hospice care. Something needs to be done about this.

All I was told from Transamerica was they were not going to pay anything. She was not responsible for her actions. I had power of attorney for the last 2.5 yrs... Please never let this happen to your family. God bless my sweet mom. This is so wrong and anyone that will listen I am going to tell my story. Term accidental means loss of use of something. Well she lost the use of her legs, in wheelchair. Couldn't breath, had to have oxygen, couldn't use her hands and had to be fed. Please stop hurting the elderly.

Have been trying to reach this company by phone for days. First day wait time was over 3 hours! Have called all different times of day and just on hold, no wait time given. Have read some articles that JCP was sued back in 2001 as their life insurance being a scam. Many, many, many horrible reviews online both past and current! How is one to get resolution?

I purchased what I thought was whole life insurance while on active duty US Army by a Non-Commissioned Officers Associations (NCOA) started paying $100 per month, after 20 years everything changed, the policy was sold to Transamerica, sent me a letter stating more money needed for the monthly premium. I'm now paying $230 per month and just received a letter stating by 18 January 2017 I will have insufficient funds. First no one ever told me about my premium will increase to such a high amount. It seems that the money I'm paying just goes to expenses charges, and other costs, including commissions for agents. Unfortunately If I cancel, I will not be able to start a new policy. This scam is set to get seniors and military retires.

I would not recommend this company to anyone. They will greatly take your money out of your checking account for the monthly payment, and you can also take out the cash value from the policy, either as a loan you will pay back or the death amount on the policy is lowered by that amount. So you decide to just lower the policy amount, that is what beneficiary will receive when you pass away. This is not true because they will then start sending amount owed plus interest, so you think this is a mistake and reread the documentation. This company sends out one thing and then does another. Policy is for $20,000.00 minus the $600.00 at death would be $19000.00 and some.

I now have life insurance from work for similar amount, so I call and cancel the policy. 12-9-2016 current cash value is $1,285.68 so will minus $838.92 for a loan, so after years of paying this life policy, the balance sent back is $446.76. Woman on phone says I will be sent a disbursement form to fill out. I received this paper on Dec 16, 2016. Today I receive dated 12-11-2016 that electronically payments drafted for the policy have been discontinued, and so to help assure that I retain my valuable coverage, I will begin regular billing statements to my home address.

I called cancelled this policy and now I get a bill for $82.00 due by Dec 3, 2016. Nothing about this company makes sense. You can call they understand. They will send forms out to get what’s left, but they don't do that. They make it so you keep paying them. I am not dead. I am still alive. They have received more money from me over a period of years, than they will give back. It's just a paper issue to keep deducting more out of a person. I didn't think cancel the policy meant send me billing through the mail. I would prefer to donate my body to science if it were going to be an issue that your beneficiary receive this money. I think there are better companies out there than this one.

My husband retired from the military so we decide to get a life insurance policy for him due to the fact that it would be too expensive to keep the one he had while he was active duty in the military. I had called a agent with Transamerica and got the policy that was best for him and his family, now mind you he is in perfect health. He was given a very good monthly premium for whole life. I had asked over and over to their company rep to have the premium taken out of his account monthly, all I kept hearing was, "We will get back to you on that." They never did.

Ok I got into a health issue after having the policy 10 years or 12 and miss a couple payments. We receive a letter saying the policy had to be reinstated, so I call and they tell me they are working on it, I call several time and got the runaround, then they tell me he can not be reinstated. This is what I think. After 12 years of paying a very low premium and his age now 59 they decided they wanted to drop him, I think they started dropping people that had low premiums and close to 60 years of age. All they had to do was keep their word on the policy he bought from them. Disrespect for a veteran, that's how I see it too. He has no health issues to this day. He has served his country 20 years and did a service for his country. This company kicked him to the curb and took 12 years of his money, and dropped him because of one mistake on my end. Rotten company. Be aware.

I got a policy for my mother and her partner 8 years ago. My Mom passed away on 09-09-16 and I did a phone claim. I was told that it would be up to 30 days and they would let me know if there was additional information they needed from me. They thought it would be simple enough given that this was a small final expense policy and my mother was 80 years old. Well, that is not exactly how things went.

I had to resend information because apparently they didn't get it the first time. They confirmed they got a copy of the death certificate on Oct. 21 2016 - again I was told it would be 30 day. Then I call because the check is once again not here. I am told they are waiting for a claim form, which I did over the phone initially. I told them I didn't get a paper copy of a claim form. Come to find out it was sent to my mother's address. Ummm, why would you send a claim form for her death to her address and not mine? They are either criminally negligent or incompetent. In either case scenario I will let the insurance commissioner and the attorney general sort that out.

My Mother passed away in August 2016. She purchased her original policy with JC Penney's, her policy was eventually transferred to Transamerica. When Mom was in hospice I started checking into reviews on this company. I was very wary after reading so many negative reviews. Once Mom passed away I began the process of claiming her life insurance money. I placed a phone call to the company and was directed to the correct department. I was able to get the forms through their website. Everyone I spoke to all along the line was very kind, and sympathetic to Mom's passing.

I would recommend having a copy of the original policy if at all possible. At some point a clerical error had been made changing Mom's beneficiary. I received a letter telling me they couldn't process the claim as I wasn't the listed beneficiary. Once I explained I had a copy of the original policy and sent them a copy the check was promptly sent. Even with the glitch in the beneficiary being inaccurately changed, I received her life insurance money within less than a month's time. I hope that the people who've had issues were just an anomaly.

I've had a life insurance policy for 25+ years with Transamerica. A month ago, I received a letter from Transamerica stating that my policy was canceled due to nonpayment of the increased premium which wasn't much. Called TA and they said they mailed out a letter months prior but I didn't receive the letter. If I had, I would've paid the difference. Now, I'm left to fill out a reinstatement form, asking medical information and it's not guarantee that they will accept my reinstatement request due to age and health issues since 25 years ago. Asked, why they don't send a second notice or send a certified letter, they responded, "that is our policy."

It's sad to think that they collect year of premium and when you reach an old age where you need help caring for yourself, they send you one letter and if you don't respond or send additional payment, they cut you off. That insurance was to cover my funeral expense when it's my time so that family wouldn't be burdened taking care of that expense. Now, I'm left without anything. That monthly premiums would been put to better use or placed in a retirement savings. Now, I'm left with nothing. If I had known, I would've went with another company.

I purchased a policy for a specific dollar amount. They automatically decreased the dollar amount after I paid the first payment. I was told they have a 24 hour payment to beneficiary, NOT TRUE, and they were well aware my husband was sick when I purchased the policy. HE died 9/13/16. Now they are saying his death has to be investigated, even after receiving the death certificate, and all information they asked for, the customer service person told me, "oh, it might take at least 30 more days!" Needless to say, I am still waiting. This policy was purchased to bury my husband. How insensitive! I will tell everyone I know DON'T EVER DEAL WITH THIS COMPANY!

I have had a policy with Transamerica Life Insurance for group accident insurance providing accidental death and dismemberment benefits for over a decade. I was struck in the eye by a limb riding my ATV and lost the sight of one eye which has been documented by my eye doctor which is an OD. After many phone calls to the claims department she has only replied to me one time and continued to say they need more information. This is ridiculous and I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone. I pay my premium every month through my Discover card which recommended this insurance policy to consider. Evidently I will hire an attorney to settle this.

I recently became disabled at work. I have insurance through my Local Credit Union. It is supposed to protect my loan with life and disability. I sent in all the paperwork that I was supposed to. Due to my workman's comp case my employer would not comply with the employer statement. I prove that I work there through pay stubs and a little discharge that my employer gave me because I had not returned to work being 100% disabled by my doctor which Transamerica also had proof of that. They requested further information and every time we gave them information it took an additional 7 to 10 business days for them to look at that information. This is the worst Customer Service Company I've ever dealt with in my life. On seven separate occasions I was promised a call back and never received not one. Run the other way if somebody says they're going to ensure you with the insurance from Transamerica Insurance.

I HAD LIFE INSURANCE WITH THIS COMPANY FOR ALMOST 17 YEARS. I had a policy with them for 1 million dollars term life. The Transamerica fraud insurance company was taking out of my bank account every month for 17 years 157.50 auto pay. Suddenly I looked at my statement and noticed they are charging my account for 1282.00. I called them and they told me that the premium has change due to my elapsed policy. They did not notified me at all for rate change almost 700% overnight. They refuse to pay me back the total of 3700.00 they fraudulently took out after they promised me that they will give my money back.

I can buy the same policy for less than 2500 per year and they are charging me 18000+ for the same policy. The Transamerica Life Insurance is all but fraud. They are thieves and I fear they don't pay their insured upon the deceased to the family. There was a 60 minute news program about them. I will put this notice every place that I can post for everybody to know.

I have a life insurance policy with this company that is about 25 years old. Three years ago they made me increase payment from 56 per month for life insurance with a savings plan to 70 per month for the insurance only. Payments were set up and paid by my banking institute monthly. Without prior notice, this month they sent me a "final notice-act now" with no explanation and a total due of 383.29. When I called the company to ask why, the automated system confirmed policy value and receipt of payment before letting me speak with someone who informed me that my policy was "upside down" and the cost of insurance had gone up leaving me currently $10 short also that if i didn't send them $383.29 by October 10th they would cancel the policy. She was not able to explain where the amount came from or why no prior notice was sent saying the cost would increase. Her only reason was that I was getting old.

This year February my husband was killed. I have the life insurance through Transamerica from my job, thinking this is a good choice because it's from my job it should be ok. Boy was I wrong. I put in the claim. No one was in touch with me. I had to keep calling every day to make sure they were given correct documents. Then after all the running around of calling them when there were suppose to call me back, I was told that that can't pay out a claim till the case is closed. This is a homicide case that never close. I have been put in the worst situation of my life where am behind in bills paying people back who help me buried my husband and a child that about to graduate high with fees.

My husband insurance paid out and all other insurance company pay out with no problems. Why do I have to fight with them when I already have to mourn my husband death with no closer. They have the case number as well as the Detective number where I have been out ruled as a person of interest. I paid them faithfully for a life insurance, and they need to pay out my claim. This is so very unfair to do to their clients at this time. And still no one is reaching out to me to solve this matter...as I see that they do this to all their clients.

My mom before she died disowned her daughter and grandchildren and changed the beneficiary to me based on actions she had engaged in against her. We worked with a lawyer to have the proper papers to show my sister's claims were untrue and after my mom died I received a letter from Transamerica saying they had been in contact with my sister and weren't going to pay unless I gave to my sister that proportion of the proceeds of the policy that we would agree upon and if I didn't they would sue in court and use the proceeds to cover their legal costs which from other cases I researched charged between 10 and 20 thousand dollars.

I sent to Transamerica all the documents that had been legally prepared proving my sister's claims were untrue. She claimed mom was suffering from dementia and that I was holding my mom as some kind of prisoner. A letter from her primary care physician, a visit by the county social services and my mom's handwritten last will and testament proved all of it untrue. Transamerica filed their case against me anyway in Federal Court, but when they did they withheld all the legal documents I had sent them. The case went to a Federal Court here in Richmond that waived aside my motion that they should not have been paid nearly 12 thousand dollars because the papers they withheld proved they didn't have a case to begin with.

By the time this mess was behind me, it cost me nearly 17 thousand dollars and what was left of the proceeds was finally awarded to me. Transamerica is continuing with these interpleader actions with an unsuspecting public and sometimes they get a court that sees through them and sometimes a court that doesn't. The law of my state says that all insurance companies are supposed to thoroughly investigate before denying claims or beginning interpleader actions. Not only did Transamerica not investigate, they withheld the documents from the court that proved they didn't have a case to begin with and even refused to talk with me when I tried calling them saying I should instead talk to the lawyers that they had hired who were basically working for Transamerica against me.

I documented what happened with a website called ripoff dot com where you can read in more detail what happened. You can find it by googling: Transamerica interpleader. I know I will never get my money back but I want to warn the public because they are still doing it. Because I blasted what they did to me on social media, other Federal Courts must have seen it because they are not always winning in court like they used to. But Transamerica is still trying anyway!

This is the worst company ever! My Account was sold to them. Do not understand why it would take over 40 phone calls and now at 2 months and still nothing has been resolved. The call agents are poorly trained and their supervisors make promises and cannot deliver. Their ratings are so low I would not recommend this company to anyone. Customer service should be their top priority and it is not. It starts with upper management and trickles down to the agents. This should of been a simple process with a check in hand within days. Please take my advice. Stay away from this company. They do not care. They only deliver excuses for answers.

Transamerica Life Insurance Company Profile