1.59/5
Based on 34 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Last updated: May 18, 2018

101 Transamerica Life Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 18, 2018

Sometime last year my fiance and I were invited to attend a "meeting" at the Transamerica office in my city to discuss possibly joining that firm to become insurance agents. In the process we were offered an insurance policy, which we obtained. As our relationship grew with this company we became interested in becoming insurance agents. This required attending meetings. These so called meetings were nothing more than pep rallies designed to rope you into selling their insurance, with zero training. I immediately became suspicious of their practices so I did my homework. What I discovered was disgusting, and canceled my policy. A refund check was sent to me and I cashed it October 2017.

What I discovered was a very long history of fraud. The number of lawsuits against Transamerica is shocking. Today, 17 May 2018 I received a letter from Transamerica stating that after review of their records it was discovered that I was supposedly overpaid and that I must return to them the amount of $118.85 before 31 May 2018. The letter states the refund must reach them by 31 May 2018 otherwise further action will be taken. This is no threat to me since this classic extortion tactic by Transamerica is used to recover funds lost due to lawsuits brought against them. I will refund their $118.85 after which time I will file a lawsuit against Transamerica. I will recover that $118.85 along with punitive damages.

Original review: May 2, 2018

I have just filled out a complaint with The State of New Jersey Department of Banking and Insurance on behalf of my father. I believe he is being taken advantage of because of his age and health. They are using scare tactics on him telling him his premium which is due in 9 days will be $3000.00 and the next quarter premium will jump to $5000.00. He does not have the money to pay any of this right now. He cannot find his original policy and asked for another sent to him and that was 3 weeks ago. I did not find out till recently when he asked me for money to pay this. I will be making calls to the State, Transamerica and a lawyer if needed.

Get expert buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 27, 2018

My husband and I obtained a life insurance policy in 2014. The premiums were automatically drafted every month. In October of 2017 we changed banking institutions. I contacted Transamerica and after waiting on hold for 2 hours I finally spoke to someone. I explained that I needed to give them my updated banking information. I was told to call back the following day, which I did. I opted to receive a return call instead of sitting on hold for two hours. I never received a call back. I finally got in contact with my agent who referred me to the local office. I was emailed a form to sign and was told to send it back with a voided check which I did not once but twice. I also instructed to draft current.

I then receive a call a couple of weeks later advising that I would have to complete the reinstatement process which meant more paperwork and phone calls, which I did. Again advising to draft current. Then a month goes by and I was contacted stating I needed to call in and verbally give permission to draft current, which I did. I was told that I had to complete the reinstatement process over again. At this point I was completely fed up. I was also told the amount that I would have to pay which was ridiculous since I had been trying to pay for months. So now I am taking my business elsewhere and essentially paid four years worth of premiums that I can't get back. Thank God I never had to cash in a policy. I can only imagine the nightmare that would be during a heartbreaking time in one's life. Shame on you Transamerica.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I have never written a review EVER!!! But this was the worst experience I had ever had with any company in my entire life. My dad passed away and left an insurance policy for his wife and children. Well the policy got paid out, but for me my portion, it was sent to the incorrect address, an address that I did not write anywhere on the paperwork. Should have been 4228, but it was mailed to 1228. When I called to find out about my funds, the reps were so rude to me. I ask to have the check reissued to me and overnighted to me because it was clearly Transamerica's era. It's been now 3 weeks, and I've been calling every day and I get the same story, "Your check is in the mail." I had made plans to move to a new apartment, because they told me the check was mailed.

Well I lost out on a new apartment and had to move into a homeless shelter, and I'm still waiting on that check to this day which is now over a month. WORST COMPANY EVER, I have my own life insurance policy with them which I will close and find a reliable company to get my life insurance. I'm writing this review so that this may never happen to anyone EVER AGAIN!!! PLEASE RUN AWAY VERY FAST FROM THIS COMPANY!!!

Original review: April 24, 2018

I’ve had Transamerica INDEX UNIVERSAL LIFE policy for many years! Which is a permanent life insurance and cash accumulation savings account! And my savings account has been earning very high rate of return and I’m very happy with the service that my agent provides as well! I would recommend everyone to find a very good agent and apply for this type of account with Transamerica.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Transamerica?

Original review: April 18, 2018

My dad passed 3 weeks ago. We have yet to receive any help from TA. He changed his policy in Feb 2017, over a year ago. TA claims the paperwork was filled out incorrectly... So if that's the case why was he not notified? All we hear is, "It's being investigated, you should receive a packet 7-10 days." So now we have had to pay all burial expenses out of our pocket. The whole point of life insurance is to cover these expenses. He had a small $10K policy. This company is a rip off and needs a class action lawsuit.

Original review: April 10, 2018

Retirement Benefits - Needed estimated dollar amount I would receive, if I retired today, vs. age 65 vs. age 66, to take to my financial planner, for my upcoming appointment. After an approximate 40 minute wait time to speak to someone in the retirement department, I was then told by an Ashley, that I would have to wait approximately 15 days, for them to compile the estimates, and email them to me. This seems ridiculous, as it seems it should not be difficult to give an estimated calculation, based on the specific data, showing in my account.

Original review: April 3, 2018

My mother passed away over the summer, she had a retirement account with Transamerica and since then as her only daughter and living heir I have been FIGHTING THEM CONSTANTLY to get them to release these funds. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. Constant phone wait times of over an hour and they never deliver on their timeline promises. It’s completely ridiculous and very very stressful.

Original review: March 21, 2018

So my 401K rollover check was sent out on March 7 to an incorrect address. I was first told that the process to cancel and re-cut the check would take 104 days from a customer service person. I then called back and contacted a different customer service person, who said that it would take 7-10 days to cancel and reinitiate the check. So which is it? Every process takes 1-3 days, cancel a check 1-3 days, cut a new check another 1-3 days, have the bank mail the check 1-3 days. Why is this process so difficult? If I called my bank right now, I could cancel a check and have a new out by COB. I understand they probably write a lot of checks, but the time length is to me, anyway, unacceptable. I hope to never be using their services again.

Original review: March 16, 2018

Me and my husband bought the Transamerica Index universal life insurance product in earlier 2011. The investment performance of the saving inside is pretty good. The agent later updated us that Transamerica is #1 selling company for this type of product. Very happy about the product and the agent is very professional and capable.

Original review: March 14, 2018

Theft of moneys from a whole life insurance policy bought 1989. Now that Transamerica has taken over the policy, all of a sudden they are saying I failed to pay my premium in 05/2001 which is not true. They have told me my policy is paid in full but I now owe $1660.93 in interest from a $50.15 premium they allege I missed 17 years ago. I am a senior and feel they are trying to steal my comfort. They never notified me and sent me a letter stating that they don't have proof that they did and are trying to hold me to the $1660.93 in interest.

Original review: March 12, 2018

I called to report the death of my father, gave them my current address and they mailed the claim forms to an old address. After waiting a week I called in again, the representative said she would print an address label and mail out the forms again. Waited another week and still no forms. Called in a 3rd time and representative emailed me the forms. I had asked about emailing the forms on the first call and the rep said they can't do that. Now they are paying the claim and it has been 8 days since the check was mailed, hasn't shown up. THIS IS THE WORST COMPANY EVER!!!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I've been with Transamerica since 2012, and I don't even know where to begin with my distaste for this disaster of a company. I realized after a review of my insurance policy by my bank that I was misled in how my premiums are calculated over time. Every 7 years my monthly cost was slated to jump astronomically, and I was never advised this upfront. Now I've been trying to cancel my policy, and I've been given the runaround every time I call. Not only do I have to wait an inordinately long time to get through to someone, but the person on the other end is typically so incompetent that I feel I could do their job better.

I've been lied to, given false promises, and I still don't have the cancellation paperwork that was supposed to have been mailed to me last week, yet I was able to receive not one but two pieces of correspondence from them in the same time frame. I'm utterly disgusted that a company with such shady business practices can even remain in business legally. Please take my advice and do not purchase life insurance from this company! You'll likely regret it like myself and so many others before me.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2018

I and my 3 siblings each received bills for loan interest $15.56 on a loan amount $210.23 or within 2 or 3 cents difference between all 3. The policies are one digit right behind each other. None of us have never had life insurance with TransAmerica or any of their affiliates. I believe this to be a scam and when I call, the customer service persons tell us to just pay the bill or our policy will be canceled. We don't care because this is not our insurance carrier. However, my fear and reason for posting this is that someone else might just pay it on behalf of their spouse or parent that they might be caring for and handling their finances. Please do not give your money to this company or their scammers. Go to a reputable insurance agent.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

I am having the worst experience with Transamerica Life Ins. I have been paying on this policy for 30 years. They are billing an exorbitant amount for my life insurance. In 2016, they took all my cash value with no explanation as to why. Now when I get a bill from them which is supposed to be quarterly but I receive a bill 8 months out of the year. This month my premium was $263. I then received a notice that I have to pay $506 next month. Now that I am 69 years old, they are trying to get me to let my policy lapse because each bill I receive has "final notice" on it with a memo stating if I am even 1 day late. My policy will be canceled. Someone please contact me if you are having the same problem. Can we start a class action lawsuit? We live on social security alone so $506 means we can't eat or pay our electric bill next month. I almost had a second heart attack when I got that notice. Help!!!!

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I have seen all these negative reviews and am so thankful my experience has been so wonderful. I'm sorry for all who did not have positive experiences. My father passed away 12/26/2017. I knew he had taken out a small 5000 dollar policy in November of 2014 to help pay to lay him to rest one day. He also took out a 100,000 dollar policy. The 5000 policy would pay in full after 2 years of payments and the accidental would if his cause of death was accidental. He paid 33/month for the small policy and 6 for the accidental.

He started with Stonebridge but Transamerica bought them out at some point. His death happened to be accidental. We sent in the paperwork along with death certificate for the policies a day apart. One on January 23rd 2018 and the other on January 24th 2018. The approves 1 And cut the check on February 2nd 2018 and the 100k on February 8 2018. They never contacted me for any additional information. I was actually quite shocked to find out the other day both checks had already been mailed out.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2018

I have been making regular payments on my life insurance policy for 24 years and have never missed a payment. Last year they started asking for more money because they said the value of the policy doesn't support it. I paid the additional amount by the dates requested on 3 occasions. The last extra payment for $169.48 was paid on December 1, 2017. I have confirmed that they cashed the check. Today I received a letter saying that I missed the grace period and the policy is cancelled. No one is available to talk to me. This seems illegal. If they sold the policy too cheaply that is not my fault. I am going to speak to a lawyer that I work for and see if it's worth pursuing.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I have two term life policies that I got 15 years ago with Monumental. Unfortunately, Transamerica bought Monumental out. I really hate that. But, it is what it is. O.K., I had my insurance premiums coming out of bank automatically each month. In October of (2017) one of my policies went up. They never told me. Did not notify me of this at all. In November, I received a letter informing me that my insurance was not paid in October because it went up and I did not leave enough money in bank. O.K. I called in a payment for 3 months (October, November, December) 2017. I paid over phone. They said I was paid up until January (2018). I called in January to make my monthly payment on both policies and they tell me that I still owe $76.50 for 1 of the policies that was not paid.

I faxed them my bank statement for November that showed where they took out 3 months' premiums on both policies. I also had the confirmation numbers that I was given over the phone when I paid them. They say the payment was returned. There was more than enough money in that account. The payment was made successfully. My bank statement shows that clearly. The payment was returned in somebody's pocket. They gonna find my money. I am not letting them get away with stealing my money. They want me to pay the same premium twice. They are either stealing people's money or they have the most incompetent employees on the planet. I am going to find out which it is.

I do not care if I have to hire a lawyer for their asses. I will. It is the principle of the matter. Not the $76.00 that they want me to pay again. Something has to be done about this insurance company. They can't keep scamming people. I see that I am not the only one that has a complaint against them. I have already reported them to the Better Business Bureau. I guess will give them until the end of the week. If they do not find out what happened to my payment, I am going to a lawyer with my proof of payment. They causing me stress, because I always pay my bills on time, and for someone to take my money and say I did not pay affects me in a negative way. All I know is that they will not get away with scamming me.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

After following all procedures for filing a claim from November 18th, I still have not been paid despite doing everything on my part that was required. Lack of communication on the part of Transamerica has held up this claim.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2017

I'm writing in regards to my mom Rebecca ** long term health care. Policy number ** claim **. Mom was evaluated by TransAmerica's nurse Jan of 2016 when she was entering Canoe Brook Assisted Living. All repeated sent reports, faxes, transmissions were said to never arrive for around 3 months. Hours and hours on hold, multiple faxing of documents. Over 20 faxes of huge stacks of documents sent, were claimed to be never received. Finally, after months of stalling, they said they got them but then denied the claim.

After multiple phone calls refaxing and documentation it was determined we could appeal the denial in writing in April. So I did. Same issues. Claimed to not receive documentation. Needed more documentation. Didn't get Dr's letters or faxes. This went on for another 3 months without reimbursing us for her bills. I finally took off work a couple of days, rounded up copies of all documents about an inch and a half thick band, sent multiples copies to multiple addresses by registered mail requiring signature.

In July I believe, they finally sent another nurse to evaluate. Again hundred of wasted hours. Again Claims of not receiving documents. Dr's letters, nurse's notes. Wasted hours of mine and the facility. And the dr. It took a toll on my business, but I couldn't drop it. This is my mother. I spoke with a friend who had legal experience in such matters. He told me to record conversations, document all I spoke to, send all documents by certified mail demanding a signature, and to contact the insurance commissioner's office. I did. Immediately things changed: they started answering calls, receiving documents and within a short period of time they called saying they'd paid the claim.

They then sent a follow up letter explaining benefits left. The letter claimed 200 some days left. My calculations said 600 some days--almost 2 years a huge difference. They said the next nurse evaluation was to be Jan 2017 rather than a year away as her policy states. I called the agency again questioning how they arrived at their figures. The person on the line, Mimi, said that she found the error and I was right. She said we had 600 and some days remaining. Unfortunately there was no supervisor available to collaborate and validate as I requested. Two more hours wasted. She also agreed mom's policy allows for only yearly evaluation. And assured me the next one wouldn't be until July 2018. I asked for it in writing as well... She agreed and asked for an audit to be sent to me.

Unfortunately the letter I got dated Nov 7 didn't support what she told me. Rather it refuted everything she had told and said only 200 days remained and the next nurse evaluation would be in Dec. 2017. So I called TA again. The woman said she was assigned to find resolution. She was abrupt and discourteous. I went through entry days of each facility, exit days, rehabs, etc. Year by year. Month by month. She said asked where I got my dates. I said from the facilities and their bills. I documented everything. I could send her copies. They'd get back at me, they said abruptly. She got downright hostile when I asked about the reason for the nurse to come again before the year was up. I don't know why. I was very cordial.

Three days later she called finally. Left me a message that we did have the almost 2 years, I maintained, rather than the 200 days. But if I didn't comply with the nurse evaluation it could keep us from collecting benefits. Sounded much like a threat. So the nurse agency called and scheduled an appointment before the holiday. I put it off until after the holidays as I had family and business matters to attend to. Jan 2 6 pm is scheduled. They give no reason to make me and my almost 89 year old mom go through this again. And I dread losing 6 more months of my life to jumping through their hoops so that they can stall for more months not paying the claim. Canoe Brook was patient and helped us out the first 6 months, but I hate the thought of them wearing out of this company's shenanigans. I recommend NO ONE buy this insurance.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

Buyer beware because there are people that will give this company positive reviews which is a fix. Everyone I know, myself included, from people who make 6 figures to the poorest of my friends and associates have told me that they’ve had extreme negative experiences with Transamerica because of their deceptive practices and are under the radar of the law due to protection loopholes and our ignorance solidifies their deceptions. They use bait and switch policies and renege on their contracts and many claims get denied by way of paper wrangling even after you’ve submitted what is specifically asked for in a timely manner.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I wish I can put zero stars. I went out on disability 8-8-16 and Transamerica has given me hell. I thought I’d have the additional 1000 a month but my claim gets denied then I have to send in paperwork and I get my money every three months. Smh. It’s sad I have two small children and I’m a single mother that additional money is for them. I put my claim in August so I can go back to school shopping for them. I didn’t receive the money until October. Now I’m told my claim is denied because after a year you have to be Totally Disabled. My year was 8-25-17 so I sent documents from 8-27-17 AFTER the year and my claim was still denied. I’m still out on Disability. I pray I can get through with them to get the money by Xmas for my children.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2017

They provide $1,000 complimentary accidental death and dismemberment, through my credit union. I was in the process of signing up for an additional $50,000 more until I noticed the fine print that said coverage is reduced 50% at age 70. I am 72. I hate deception!!! I will not agree to paying full price for 50% coverage. I am glad my beneficiary won’t have to deal with their deceptive practices!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I’ve been a policyholder for almost four years. In June of this year I had to go short term disability and I was thankful I had this policy to fall back. In hindsight I should have done something else. From the start of filing the paperwork it’s been the ultimate nightmare. I can’t get anyone to ask my question, return phone calls or send out my payments. I don’t know where to turn. I’ve been told every excuse in the book. From I didn’t initial the paperwork the first time I filed on 6/10/17. So I fix that and faxed it back on 6/12/17. It was after they received paperwork. It would be a fifteen day processing period then the first payment would start and be sent out. By the second week of July I hadn’t received anything. So I called to see what the Status of my claim.

I was told my policy had canceled for non-payment. The funds are automatically drafted out of my checking account every month. So I had to send them in. Then they said it was their mistake and start reprocessing my claim. I received the first payment on 7/24/17. In August I received a check on 8/28/17. In September I didn’t receive anything. I would call and be told someone would return my call within 48 hrs. So I called again and told two different answers. The first was my claim was being delayed because the form they had requested from me that I completed were sent in too early. The second answer was that they pay their claims a month behind.

I asked why then, "Are we into the fourth month of this?" and I had only received two payments. I was told I had to speak with a manager. It’s now November 8th and have only received three payments. I was told on November 6th I would receive a status update the following day on Nov 7th yet no one has called. I've called three times today with leaving three voicemail.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

I have been paying on several insurance policies that my dad took out many years ago. Since he is in a nursing home, and not able to to take care of this anymore, I am trying my hardest to do this correctly. I recently moved, and it has been a nightmare to get anyone to help me or listen to my concerns. They have NOT only sent mail to my old mailing address, they are sending some to me at my new address, but misspelling my address, as well as sending the one policy I took the time to have sent to my brother's address. I was trying to find out if he would like to continue paying on the policy, or cancel.

They sent this policy to my old mailing address. No matter how many times I call, beg, or plead with them, they continually make senseless mistakes. I tried to get the girl to correct the address on my brother's policy- the one I dropped and hopefully sent to him, to which they sent to my old address instead, and the girl told me because I was no longer the policyholder, she could not change the incorrect address. Mind you, I gave them the correct address BEFORE I dropped it from my bank draft... I can't help it that the people working there are 100% incompetent- or at least the ones I've been on the phone with- time after time after time... Can you tell I am beyond frustrated!!!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

My mom passed Sept 19. I submitted a death claim Oct 24th. Both customer service and claims were very helpful and said it would take 7-10 business days to review. I sent in the requested forms they asked for and today I received a check!! I don't know why there are so many complaints against Transamerica. My experience was amazing. They really came through at my roughest time of my life and I recommend them to everyone. It's important to read your policies and understand the terms of your policies. Transamerica is a great company and their actions speak louder than these negative reviews all because people assume and don't read and they don't understand their life insurance policies. It's not any fault of Transamerica. I truly thank them from the bottom of my heart.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

They say insurance is cancelled... It was Monumental Ins... Paid for over 30 years... I got a phone call from someone saying insurance was cancelled... Then I call them and they said it was cancelled, I told I never got a notification, they said I did. I asked them, "Why would I pay for all these years and I even paid a bill in August and I'm cancelled in September?" They said, "No you were cancelled in July?" How can that be? I get no answers at all, this seems to be not legal...? Does anyone have a answer, I think I need a lawyer!

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

BUYER BEWARE!!! Save your money. This company is a scam. They put provisions in their policies that allow them to deny accidental death claims. My husband was in a car accident and died from his injuries, per the Medical Examiner's autopsy report, but because it was over 90 days from the date of his accident, Transamerica doesn't consider the manner of death "an accident" and paid the lesser amount. This is one insurance company that gives someone a false sense of security, you think you are paying Transamerica so when you die, Transamerica will provide funds to your loved ones to cover the cost of your burial and maybe a little, and I mean a little, extra if you die unexpectedly. That is false if you do not die in a timely fashion, per Transamerica. I guess the medical community shouldn't try to save your loved one and keep them alive more than 90 days per Transamerica.

You watch your loved one suffer trying to hold on, trying to live and it is so difficult to watch them suffer and eventually succumb to their injuries to find out you get punished for your loved one trying not to die from Transamerica because they don't believe your loved one laying in a hospital bed with I.V.s and tubes in your loved ones everything and everywhere for more than 90 days isn't part of the accident that prevented them from ever coming home. So do your surviving loved ones a favor and buy life insurance from a reputable company that will provide what they say they will if you die of natural or accidental causes without so many loopholes letting them off the hook, like Transamerica. BUYER BEWARE!!!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

My husband and I both have (had in my case) policies with Transamerica Life Insurance for a long, long time back when they were other companies. I recently received a letter that told us his payment was no longer able to support the policy and we owed them $500 to continue and will be cancelled in October 2017 if not. I called in June to increase the premium - didn't happen. The same with July and August. Now they want the $500. His new premium for $50,000 will be $200 a month. Not happening. I finally got through to someone and I said, "I think this is a scam" to which they replied, "Ummm I see why you would think that".

Took 3 months to get a hold of our agent who is another state away from us. My policy the same thing happened and I sent in the extra money - they cancelled me anyway. We are both in our 60's. The big problem in my opinion is that they lowered the premium about a year ago and now want to get us for more money. I do believe they will cancel my husband's policy regardless. My mother and my mother-in-law both had a policy with Globe and they paid the claim right away. No questions asked as long as we had the death certificate. Plus, I can get a policy for my husband for $50 less a month. We had the policies way back when they were People's Life Insurance and that was in the 1960's before they started changing names. If you have a policy with them I suggest that you run to the nearest other company. We are done!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

Beware of this company!!! My husband and I signed for a life insurance and savings last year. We were told that after 9 months we will be able to lower our monthly premium or we can even stop paying for up to 6 months if we don't have the money. After 12 months I requested Transamerica to lower our monthly premium which was flat out refused! I requested them to please allow us to stop making payments of $2000.00 per month for 6 months as we encountered hardship, which was also flat out refused! I called the bank and gave them an order to stop Transamerica from debiting my account.

That was 4 months ago. During these 4 months the broker who sold us the policy was back and forth with Transamerica on the phone trying to sort this matter, but no luck! I requested to cancel my policy with them and for Transamerica to give me my $20,000 that is in the savings account. They told me that they will not give me my money back, I need to pay them for the 4 months which I haven't paid ($8000.00) in full and I will need to carry on paying my monthly premium of $2000.00 for the next 3 years. Now my husband and I are sitting here scratching our heads because we don't know what to do! They tell you one thing in the beginning but it's a totally different story the second you sign on the dotted line!

Transamerica Life Insurance Company Information