2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.21/5

Shelter Auto Insurance offers insurance solutions for your home, business, vehicle and more.

BOTTOM LINE

Shelter Auto Insurance provides car insurance to states in the midwest and south United States. The company receives positive reviews for the personalized service of its local agents. It carries standard and optional coverages, discounts and exclusive options in specific states. It also offers special discounts to military and business drivers.

PROS

• Comprehensive coverage for fire, flood, theft, hail, falling objects and windshield chips
  • Accident prevention course and driver training course discounts
  • Competitive prices for low-risk customers
  • Window Identification System Discount for Louisiana residents
  • Online claims system

CONS

• No online purchase option
  • Availability limited to the Midwestern and Southern states

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

Shelter Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Shelter Auto Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Shelter Auto Insurance?

Original review: June 18, 2020

So I started a claim back in February. We had a bad storm so I had hail damage real bad totaling in my car. I made the claim, went to get my appraisal and never heard back from them. Here it is June 18. For the last two weeks I’ve been calling the claims adjuster assigned. Never got a response. Call the one 800 number, spoke to a lady that gave me her supervisor number Jacob ** and he was just rude when I called him. He was like, "Yeah have. You can’t. What do you want?" after I told him I'm trying to see was going on and check the status of my claim. I’ve got three different totals amounts that they were going to pay for my car. One came out to 7000 then five 5800. Now it’s down to 4700 and he still can’t give me information. He telling me let him look into it, he will call me back just to get me off the phone while he’s eating!

Original review: May 18, 2020

My SL500 was hit parked, backed into across my passenger side. Here are some numbers you should keep in mind. These are the approved rates that they told me they can approve for work to be done on my car. Body work $56 an hour. Paint $56 an hour. Mechanical $85 an hour. Once you have your car checked out at a shop the actual cost will not ad up. If you own a Mercedes they will not adhere to the standards Mercedes strongly recommend that the shop is certified by Mercedes. The cost that I paid out of pocket to have my car repaired properly was over $1200, and they only paid out $560 for diminished value.

It was my choice to have the work done at that rate, but I was not willing to have my car repaired at a shop that worked at the rates they are will to pay. If you have a premium car that you truly love this company will not help you get it back into shape as it should be. I bought my car in flawless condition and they wanted to offer substandard compensation for repairs.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
    Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

Shelter has been one of the easiest companies I have ever worked with. My agent is extremely personal and easy to work with, and he embodies the values of Shelter as a whole. He is very hands-on with his customers, and he always makes sure that their needs are taken care of. Especially when it comes to claims. He was able to save money on several of my insurance needs. I will send everyone I know to him! Shelter- thank you for being so AWESOME!!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

If I could give them negative stars, I would. I am not a policy holder with Shelter, but if I was I would cancel my policy and find insurance elsewhere. Back in November 2019, my vehicle was side swiped while parked on the side of the road by someone insured by Shelter. I continuously got the runaround from both the person's insurance agent and the claims adjuster and was constantly reaching out 3-4 calls/emails at a time before getting a response. After over a month of dealing with this, I finally received the check and took my vehicle in to be fixed.

When setting up my rental vehicle with Shelter, I was told the 17 day estimate on my vehicle repair "seemed lengthy" and that they would follow up with the body shop to be sure. I was also promised a rental vehicle comparable to my 2018 Chevy Silverado. When I got to the body shop, my rental car options were a Nissan Altima or I could pay $5/day for a Jeep Wrangler. I finally thought this whole situation was going to finally be over and then my body shop called to tell me my vehicle was done but that they wouldn't release it to me until they got approval from Shelter - they had reached out to them 10 times over a period of 2 weeks and had not gotten any return communications. I am frustrated and disappointed. This has been the worst experience I've ever had.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

I was hit in my driver's door, spun around then hit the truck that hit me with the passenger door. I have been dealing with a claim's adjuster since February of 2019, still not resolved. They paid me a fair price for my automobile, which was a 2014 Chevy Cruz. However, getting my medial bills paid, and paying me for my injuries has been a nightmare. The claims adjuster I am working with doesn't return my calls, doesn't respond to my emails, unless I contact someone else in her office to give her a push. I am thoroughly disgusted with this process, and am sorry I didn't get an attorney at the onset.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

My vehicle was totaled by fault of a driver with Shelter Insurance. Two weeks later and they won't return my calls, have been rude when I did talk to them, and won't pay even close to what my vehicle is worth. Their "comp" vehicles had over 100,000 more miles than mine. Adjuster told me that was all they would pay and said he knew I couldn't purchase another vehicle like the one I had for the price but that was "my problem." Told me if I didn't like it go get a lawyer. His supervisor wasn't any more cooperative or helpful.

Original review: May 3, 2019

I have all my insurance with Shelter, home, 2 cars, motorcycle and boat, 2 trailers. Because of bad storms in other states, they raised every policy I had, 50 dollars each, saying they did that to everyone. Having 3 claims in 20 years, this is plain old **, and talked to other people who had Shelter. They said they had no increase. Will unload them as soon as I find other insurance I can afford. Unhappy in Columbia, MO.

Original review: March 4, 2019

When I was purchasing Shelter auto insurance I have been told that the road assistance is included as well as towing service. My wife had recently an accident and Shelter Insurance refused to provide tow service for free during this essential time and charged me again. I highly recommend staying away from Shelter Insurance if you want to save money.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I have been with this company for 17 years. My agent just retired last year and since then I have been given agent, after agent, after agent. Each time the agent changes my charges change and most recently they couldn't even find my coverage for one of my cars. I am sad to see a great company go down the drain. I highly suggest you seek other insurance companies.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I was a proud Shelter insurance customer for 24 years! Yes 24 years of loyal service and lots of referrals in that time. I had the best agent Ray **. When he retired I was juggled through agents and my rates continually went up. When trying to add my teenage son things got worse. My agent couldn't communicate to me in terms that I could understand always pdf files and insurance garble with lots of different amounts everywhere. Then I got hit with an increase with 3 days notice to pay it. Needless to say after 24 years I canceled all 3 car ins policies and they didn't bat an eye.

As of today I have also canceled my homeowners where I found out I was getting barely any coverage anyway. The sales rep called me and told me that if he made exceptions for me that he would have to it for everyone. So your loyal service to them means NOTHING AT ALL! He then advised me to think hard before canceling my life ins policies with them... Shelter is money hungry crooks and your loyalty to their company is equal to the guy who just signed up. Poorest customer service ever. They are getting as greedy as the water and electric companies. DO NOT GET SHELTER!

Shelter Auto Insurance author review by Matthew Brodsky

This insurance company offers car insurance policies in the Midwestern and southern United States. It has more than 1,300 licensed agents. Policies are available in Arkansas, Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, Oklahoma, and Tennessee.

• Coverage and plans: In addition to state-required coverage, Shelter Insurance offers loss of use coverage, gap insurance, disability income and accidental death benefits.

• Cost: A married female who’s 60 pays, on average, about $1,000 a year for auto insurance through Shelter Insurance.

• Discounts: Shelter Insurance has discounts for bundling, good students, safe drivers, upfront payment and safety features.

• Standout feature: Shelter Insurance writes policies for a variety of vehicles, including snowmobiles, golf carts, dirt bikes, dune buggies, RVs and boats.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor