Call toll free*
Call toll free
4.15/5
Based on 26 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Shelter Auto Insurance

Shelter Auto Insurance offers insurance solutions for your home, business, vehicle and more. Shelter is not a verified InsuraMatch carrier. You can call InsuraMatch for quotes from several different providers to find the right auto insurance carrier for your needs. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

26 Shelter Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 14, 2018

I've had great experiences both in person and over the phone. Local agent that cares about the community. Friendly and helpful employees. Offers multiple choices to work with my budget. Quick response time. Good knowledge of process and very thorough explanations.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I went to Shelter's office which is very close to me and a representative sat down with me and helped me with everything I needed. Their representative is always there to help when I need them. I love how cheap and easy it is. They were the cheapest by far. I have tried getting quotes from many other insurance companies but was either denied or I just could not afford what they wanted me to pay and I have a perfect driving record. I will stay with them forever.

Get expert buying tips about Auto Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 25, 2018

Shelter Auto Insurance is okay - it's the local secretary who really takes care of the local client and tells ideas to save money, and who to call locally for problems.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

This is the most arbitrary and least professional Insurance company ever. Seems like they go out of their way to lose your business. I own several rental houses. At first they take a policy then cancel it because “it looks like it has asbestos” from some picture they have. They don’t seem to bother to check! I will be taking all my business somewhere else. My agent is awesome but the company sucks!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

They have insured my cars and pickups, home and horse trailers for 30+ years! Prompt service and always pleasant and helpful. They help cut premium costs when we asked. Also, I can call anytime with our agent's cell phone! On my way to the hospital to have a baby we hit a deer and the car was driveable but barely! I was in the hospital and they came to the house and picked up the car and took it in for repair for me! They follow up to make sure I am satisfied with whatever is going on! They were helpful and walked me through everything. They ended up paying for everything and going after the other insurance company for reimbursement so I didn't have to deal with the other company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Shelter Auto Insurance?

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

LOVE Josh **. Go to him for anything. As a clueless young woman who recently had to figure out many things on my own, Josh has made it as easy as anyone could. Josh as a person is a kind soul and very happy to help. He understands my busy working college student schedule and we text all the time! Whether is simple questions or something I have concerns about. He is a very helpful, funny, and happy to help kind of man. If I could have Josh deal with every aspect of my life it would be bliss. He remembers details and it kinda feels like you're talking to a friend when you're on the phone with him. I appreciate Josh and all the things he has helped me with.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I had been with Shelter for 5+ years, and always knew the service I had received was mediocre. I just figured not to hassle with looking elsewhere. After I had an accident that I was not at fault. My rates went up. Service got worst, and then I had a month I needed 5 more day to pay my insurance, they told me it would have to be prorated and I was fine with that and we agreed my insurance date had been changed. Until it was time to pay, they then proceeded to withdrawing money from my past due date, which cause a return payment, which caused the cancellation of my insurance because of their mistake. I called up their and said it would be more than double of my current insurance rate just to have it started back up. They claimed the price was, a return payment fee... of more than my current rate completely?? One of the biggest scams I have ever been a part of... I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

There was a time with my unemployment and they lowered my premium to accommodate my finances. Later on went back regular payment and coverage and added rental insurance... All for just under $50/mo.

Original review: July 28, 2017

My wife and I have been with Shelter since they were MFA. When we married we merged our accounts. I have often shopped around for alternate insurance companies (friends often tell me that Shelter has outrageous premiums - I have not found that to be true). I tell them that the primary reason that I carry insurance is to have a hassle free claim. In the past 30 years I have filed 3 claims. The first was for storm damage to my 15 year old roof and gutters. The estimator came out and bid the replacement of a 2 foot section of soffit (not the fault of Shelter). One quick phone call to my agent (not his job) and the situation was cleared up and I had a new roof and gutters installed within 48 hours (even waiving the deductible).

The other two claims came within a week of each other when my 16 yo was involved in two fender benders. A single phone call for each was all it took to get the claims handled. There may be companies that charge you less for premiums, but remember why you are insured in the first place. Shelter rewards for loyalty as well, so even if you pay a bit more up front, in a few years that will even out especially if you bundle policies. My agent is extremely helpful as well and is not pushy. He quietly reviews my policies and if he sees something that may be lacking he calls, but just explains the options and doesn't give me a sales pitch. If I say no, he never brings it up again.

Original review: July 27, 2017

I was recently rear ended by someone that carries Shelter Insurance. The body shop is calling me saying I have to pay a percentage of the part because Shelter has a Betterment Clause. I was hit, I have to take time off of work, I am without my car and my car is now depreciated and I have to pay? What!!! My advice, don't get Shelter Insurance and don't go through Shelter if you are hit with someone that has it!

Original review: July 11, 2017

I live in Lexington, KY. My agent is Barry **. This is the worst mistake I have ever made in my life. He is very rude and disrespectful. He don't take responsibility for his mistakes. Gave this agent my bank information so that my payments could come out of my account every month. To find out he didn't add my bank account information so this could be debit out of my bank! So now I have to pay an extra $107 on top of my insurance which made it $278 and they changed my insurance payment date due to his mistake in error.

Instead of confessing to his mistake he then gets to yelling at me and say it's not to say whose fault it is then started laughing (IT IS WHAT IT IS). He don't return your phone calls 99.9% of time. You have to call over and over again. He is never in his office always in the car or doing other activities. Never know who are or what is going on with your insurance. I will be contacting the insurance company to get another agent within my area! WARNING DO NOT AND DO NOT GO TO THIS AGENT!

Original review: April 5, 2017

I just wanted to let y'all know Jamie ** and Brian ** have been such a pleasure to work with on my auto claim. They called me back quick and got things done fast. I would recommend Shelter to anyone. Thank you Jamie and Brian for the outstanding job you two have done.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

The staff has always been helpful and proactive. They got involved to help resolve the claim. My agent is on top of things and makes suggestions as needed and that includes ways to lower costs if need be.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2016

Our agent was right there with us. It was my son's 1st truck and a very bad wreck. Our agent made it a point to make sure our son knew these things happen, and his first concern was to ask if our son was okay. The truck got paid off quickly without a fight. Definitely a good company!! Very reasonable prices. Good rates and agents who truly care about you. They work hard to get you the best rates and work with you to make sure you get what you need.

Original review: July 27, 2016

I am writing a review about my experience with Shelter Insurance. I have had Shelter Insurance since I was 16. They are always there to help and I enjoy their 24/7 help when you call the 1-800 number. I would recommend Shelter Insurance to others.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2015

I've been with shield of Shelter for over 10 years. They are very friendly and easy to work with and easy to reach when you need them. I was hit in a hit and run accident and they took care of everything and my rates did not increase. I'm extremely satisfied with their auto and home and life insurance policies.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2015

Have only used it once after I hit a deer, but they were easy to work with and paid my claim quickly. My agent cares about my family and wants to make sure we are adequately covered. They also cover my home and two rental properties, and have many other financial products available.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2015

They have always been good to work with. Excellent customer service. Always very helpful. Great bundle prices and offer discounts especially to those who are loyal customers. The agent we use is close to our home and responds in a timely manner to both phone calls and emails. We use them for home auto and insurance on our pop up camper.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2015

My insurance is very affordable and gives me very great service. Have them for my home and auto. Have had them for 15 years and very happy with them. Have never had a claim on my truck, had two on my house. One for the roof after hail damage and it was fixed with no out of pocket and the other one was a frozen pipe that flooded my finished basement. Same thing fixed very fast and no out of pocket.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2015

Friendly and helpful. When my husband had a wreck they were fair in their assessment of the value of the vehicle. We had a good experience with working with them. They also don't run your credit when applying for insurance, which I think more companies should do.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2015

Great service. Great rates and fast response time. Our Agent is always helpful and easy to get a hold of anytime. She makes sure our policies are fair and competitive. Easy online access to view and print policies, cards, and information.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2015

The company Shelter Insurance is affordable, and gives a wide range of products for use. Also because they have local offices they are able to respond to the needs of customers in a reasonable time. My dealings have been limited with the company. However there has been no issues with them and their reputation is quite solid.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2015

When talking with my agent, it is always easy to converse with them and obtain a straight answer to my questions. They are reliable and helpful during my times of need. They also have a great rate for my family!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2015

I have had an overall great experience with Shelter Insurance. I use them for both my home and auto. I have reasonable rates and they do offer some discounts. I did wish they offered more of a percentage off with their discounts plus a wider variety.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2015

I have had nothing but great experiences with Shelter. The prices are great and offer generous discounts. They are quick to offer assistance when I have had questions, and have helped me throughout the entire claim process. The claim process is quick, and easy. There is an office that is located locally in my town that has always allowed me to stop by the office to speak with someone in person. I have been with this company for approximately six years and I have had yet to experience a problem. I have had several different vehicles as well. I would definitely recommend to anyone.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2015

I have been a customer of Shelter since I started driving at the age of 18, and I have continued to do so for over 30 years. My 3 sons have insurance through Shelter as well. They have the best rates and excellent coverage. I wouldn't change insurance companies for anything!!

Shelter Auto Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Shelter Insurance is one of the largest regional auto insurance providers in America. Shelter's auto insurance is available in both commercial and consumer policies, and they offer a variety of discounts if you qualify. Shelter operates in over 18 states with more than 1,300 licensed agents.

• Online claim filing: Call or go to their website to file a claim for any accident or covered repair. The form is fast and intuitive with no login needed.

• Farm insurance: Shelter covers a lot more than just cars. They also offer insurance products designed for commercial farms and home insurance.

• Personal possessions: When policyholders opt for Personal Articles insurance, it doesn't matter if an expensive necklace was stolen from the car or the safe, it is covered either way.

• Insurance off the road: ATVs get a lot of hard use, but they may not always be insured. Shelter Auto Insurance also offers coverage for snowmobiles, golf carts, dirt bikes, dune buggies and more.

• Vacation vehicles: Cover an RV or a boat using a policy customized for the type of vehicle. RVs are usually significantly more expensive than cars, and boats need protection against environmental damage.

• Best for: Drivers who need custom insurance needs, small businesses owners and car owners.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky