Fast Free Quotes

Compare Rates
  2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.32/5

Shelter Auto Insurance offers insurance solutions for your home, business, vehicle and more. Shelter is not a verified InsuraMatch carrier. You can call InsuraMatch for quotes from several different providers to find the right auto insurance carrier for your needs. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

Shelter Auto Insurance provides car insurance to states in the midwest and south United States. The company receives positive reviews for the personalized service of its local agents. It carries standard and optional coverages, discounts and exclusive options in specific states. It also offers special discounts to military and business drivers.

PROS

• Comprehensive coverage for fire, flood, theft, hail, falling objects and windshield chips
  • Accident prevention course and driver training course discounts
  • Competitive prices for low-risk customers
  • Window Identification System Discount for Louisiana residents
  • Online claims system

CONS

• No online purchase option
  • Availability limited to the Midwestern and Southern states

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

Shelter Auto Insurance Reviews

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

Shelter has been one of the easiest companies I have ever worked with. My agent is extremely personal and easy to work with, and he embodies the values of Shelter as a whole. He is very hands-on with his customers, and he always makes sure that their needs are taken care of. Especially when it comes to claims. He was able to save money on several of my insurance needs. I will send everyone I know to him! Shelter- thank you for being so AWESOME!!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

If I could give them negative stars, I would. I am not a policy holder with Shelter, but if I was I would cancel my policy and find insurance elsewhere. Back in November 2019, my vehicle was side swiped while parked on the side of the road by someone insured by Shelter. I continuously got the runaround from both the person's insurance agent and the claims adjuster and was constantly reaching out 3-4 calls/emails at a time before getting a response. After over a month of dealing with this, I finally received the check and took my vehicle in to be fixed.

When setting up my rental vehicle with Shelter, I was told the 17 day estimate on my vehicle repair "seemed lengthy" and that they would follow up with the body shop to be sure. I was also promised a rental vehicle comparable to my 2018 Chevy Silverado. When I got to the body shop, my rental car options were a Nissan Altima or I could pay $5/day for a Jeep Wrangler. I finally thought this whole situation was going to finally be over and then my body shop called to tell me my vehicle was done but that they wouldn't release it to me until they got approval from Shelter - they had reached out to them 10 times over a period of 2 weeks and had not gotten any return communications. I am frustrated and disappointed. This has been the worst experience I've ever had.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

I was hit in my driver's door, spun around then hit the truck that hit me with the passenger door. I have been dealing with a claim's adjuster since February of 2019, still not resolved. They paid me a fair price for my automobile, which was a 2014 Chevy Cruz. However, getting my medial bills paid, and paying me for my injuries has been a nightmare. The claims adjuster I am working with doesn't return my calls, doesn't respond to my emails, unless I contact someone else in her office to give her a push. I am thoroughly disgusted with this process, and am sorry I didn't get an attorney at the onset.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

My vehicle was totaled by fault of a driver with Shelter Insurance. Two weeks later and they won't return my calls, have been rude when I did talk to them, and won't pay even close to what my vehicle is worth. Their "comp" vehicles had over 100,000 more miles than mine. Adjuster told me that was all they would pay and said he knew I couldn't purchase another vehicle like the one I had for the price but that was "my problem." Told me if I didn't like it go get a lawyer. His supervisor wasn't any more cooperative or helpful.

Original review: May 3, 2019

I have all my insurance with Shelter, home, 2 cars, motorcycle and boat, 2 trailers. Because of bad storms in other states, they raised every policy I had, 50 dollars each, saying they did that to everyone. Having 3 claims in 20 years, this is plain old **, and talked to other people who had Shelter. They said they had no increase. Will unload them as soon as I find other insurance I can afford. Unhappy in Columbia, MO.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Shelter Auto Insurance?

Original review: March 4, 2019

When I was purchasing Shelter auto insurance I have been told that the road assistance is included as well as towing service. My wife had recently an accident and Shelter Insurance refused to provide tow service for free during this essential time and charged me again. I highly recommend staying away from Shelter Insurance if you want to save money.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I have been with this company for 17 years. My agent just retired last year and since then I have been given agent, after agent, after agent. Each time the agent changes my charges change and most recently they couldn't even find my coverage for one of my cars. I am sad to see a great company go down the drain. I highly suggest you seek other insurance companies.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I was a proud Shelter insurance customer for 24 years! Yes 24 years of loyal service and lots of referrals in that time. I had the best agent Ray **. When he retired I was juggled through agents and my rates continually went up. When trying to add my teenage son things got worse. My agent couldn't communicate to me in terms that I could understand always pdf files and insurance garble with lots of different amounts everywhere. Then I got hit with an increase with 3 days notice to pay it. Needless to say after 24 years I canceled all 3 car ins policies and they didn't bat an eye.

As of today I have also canceled my homeowners where I found out I was getting barely any coverage anyway. The sales rep called me and told me that if he made exceptions for me that he would have to it for everyone. So your loyal service to them means NOTHING AT ALL! He then advised me to think hard before canceling my life ins policies with them... Shelter is money hungry crooks and your loyalty to their company is equal to the guy who just signed up. Poorest customer service ever. They are getting as greedy as the water and electric companies. DO NOT GET SHELTER!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Horrible service. I was hit by a non insured driver. The adjuster was easy to get in touch with. The claims department never returned my calls or emails. This is going on 5 months. They don’t care about returning my deductible or customer service.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I have secured my business and cars with Shelter, at the beginning when I had my local agent it was super easy to request a COI but now that my agent no longer works with Shelter I have to call customer service. Calling Shelter's customer service to request a COI has been a total dislike and a frustration to me. I had to call three times to get a COI with the address and the correct name of my company, the three times they sent it incorrectly. I called for the fourth time and it turned out that they had already closed the office for that day, and I had to tell my client that was waiting for the COI that I would not have it ready for that day. Shelter, the person who attended me was totally incompetent. This made me think about looking for another company with better agents.

Take a Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Shelter Auto Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Shelter Insurance is one of the largest regional auto insurance providers in America. Shelter's auto insurance is available in both commercial and consumer policies, and they offer a variety of discounts if you qualify. Shelter operates in over 18 states with more than 1,300 licensed agents.

• Online claim filing: Call or go to their website to file a claim for any accident or covered repair. The form is fast and intuitive with no login needed.

• Farm insurance: Shelter covers a lot more than just cars. They also offer insurance products designed for commercial farms and home insurance.

• Personal possessions: When policyholders opt for Personal Articles insurance, it doesn't matter if an expensive necklace was stolen from the car or the safe, it is covered either way.

• Insurance off the road: ATVs get a lot of hard use, but they may not always be insured. Shelter Auto Insurance also offers coverage for snowmobiles, golf carts, dirt bikes, dune buggies and more.

• Vacation vehicles: Cover an RV or a boat using a policy customized for the type of vehicle. RVs are usually significantly more expensive than cars, and boats need protection against environmental damage.

• Best for: Drivers who need custom insurance needs, small businesses owners and car owners.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor