Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
3.48/5

Shelter Auto Insurance

Shelter Auto Insurance offers insurance solutions for your home, business, vehicle and more. Shelter is not a verified InsuraMatch carrier. You can call InsuraMatch for quotes from several different providers to find the right auto insurance carrier for your needs. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

Shelter Auto Insurance provides car insurance to states in the midwest and south United States. The company receives positive reviews for the personalized service of its local agents. It carries standard and optional coverages, discounts and exclusive options in specific states. It also offers special discounts to military and business drivers.

PROS

• Comprehensive coverage for fire, flood, theft, hail, falling objects and windshield chips
  • Accident prevention course and driver training course discounts
  • Competitive prices for low-risk customers
  • Window Identification System Discount for Louisiana residents
  • Online claims system

CONS

• No online purchase option
  • Availability limited to the Midwestern and Southern states

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

33 Shelter Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 3, 2019

I have all my insurance with Shelter, home, 2 cars, motorcycle and boat, 2 trailers. Because of bad storms in other states, they raised every policy I had, 50 dollars each, saying they did that to everyone. Having 3 claims in 20 years, this is plain old **, and talked to other people who had Shelter. They said they had no increase. Will unload them as soon as I find other insurance I can afford. Unhappy in Columbia, MO.

Original review: March 4, 2019

When I was purchasing Shelter auto insurance I have been told that the road assistance is included as well as towing service. My wife had recently an accident and Shelter Insurance refused to provide tow service for free during this essential time and charged me again. I highly recommend staying away from Shelter Insurance if you want to save money.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I have been with this company for 17 years. My agent just retired last year and since then I have been given agent, after agent, after agent. Each time the agent changes my charges change and most recently they couldn't even find my coverage for one of my cars. I am sad to see a great company go down the drain. I highly suggest you seek other insurance companies.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I was a proud Shelter insurance customer for 24 years! Yes 24 years of loyal service and lots of referrals in that time. I had the best agent Ray **. When he retired I was juggled through agents and my rates continually went up. When trying to add my teenage son things got worse. My agent couldn't communicate to me in terms that I could understand always pdf files and insurance garble with lots of different amounts everywhere. Then I got hit with an increase with 3 days notice to pay it. Needless to say after 24 years I canceled all 3 car ins policies and they didn't bat an eye.

As of today I have also canceled my homeowners where I found out I was getting barely any coverage anyway. The sales rep called me and told me that if he made exceptions for me that he would have to it for everyone. So your loyal service to them means NOTHING AT ALL! He then advised me to think hard before canceling my life ins policies with them... Shelter is money hungry crooks and your loyalty to their company is equal to the guy who just signed up. Poorest customer service ever. They are getting as greedy as the water and electric companies. DO NOT GET SHELTER!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Horrible service. I was hit by a non insured driver. The adjuster was easy to get in touch with. The claims department never returned my calls or emails. This is going on 5 months. They don’t care about returning my deductible or customer service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Shelter Auto Insurance?

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I have secured my business and cars with Shelter, at the beginning when I had my local agent it was super easy to request a COI but now that my agent no longer works with Shelter I have to call customer service. Calling Shelter's customer service to request a COI has been a total dislike and a frustration to me. I had to call three times to get a COI with the address and the correct name of my company, the three times they sent it incorrectly. I called for the fourth time and it turned out that they had already closed the office for that day, and I had to tell my client that was waiting for the COI that I would not have it ready for that day. Shelter, the person who attended me was totally incompetent. This made me think about looking for another company with better agents.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

Today when I received a call back from my insurance and I under distress explained my insurance issue after seeing that double the payment was taken out of my bank account. Instead of trying to help and solve my dilemma. Jonathan ** told me to shut the ** up and that he was not renewing my policy. To make matters worse he hung up on me. I received some unpleasant text messages from him afterwards.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I've had great experiences both in person and over the phone. Local agent that cares about the community. Friendly and helpful employees. Offers multiple choices to work with my budget. Quick response time. Good knowledge of process and very thorough explanations.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I went to Shelter's office which is very close to me and a representative sat down with me and helped me with everything I needed. Their representative is always there to help when I need them. I love how cheap and easy it is. They were the cheapest by far. I have tried getting quotes from many other insurance companies but was either denied or I just could not afford what they wanted me to pay and I have a perfect driving record. I will stay with them forever.

Original review: May 25, 2018

Shelter Auto Insurance is okay - it's the local secretary who really takes care of the local client and tells ideas to save money, and who to call locally for problems.

Shelter Auto Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Shelter Insurance is one of the largest regional auto insurance providers in America. Shelter's auto insurance is available in both commercial and consumer policies, and they offer a variety of discounts if you qualify. Shelter operates in over 18 states with more than 1,300 licensed agents.

• Online claim filing: Call or go to their website to file a claim for any accident or covered repair. The form is fast and intuitive with no login needed.

• Farm insurance: Shelter covers a lot more than just cars. They also offer insurance products designed for commercial farms and home insurance.

• Personal possessions: When policyholders opt for Personal Articles insurance, it doesn't matter if an expensive necklace was stolen from the car or the safe, it is covered either way.

• Insurance off the road: ATVs get a lot of hard use, but they may not always be insured. Shelter Auto Insurance also offers coverage for snowmobiles, golf carts, dirt bikes, dune buggies and more.

• Vacation vehicles: Cover an RV or a boat using a policy customized for the type of vehicle. RVs are usually significantly more expensive than cars, and boats need protection against environmental damage.

• Best for: Drivers who need custom insurance needs, small businesses owners and car owners.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky