2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.21/5

Shelter Auto Insurance offers insurance solutions for your home, business, vehicle and more. Shelter is not a verified InsuraMatch carrier. You can call InsuraMatch for quotes from several different providers to find the right auto insurance carrier for your needs. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Compare insurance providers online

See if you can save today on Everquote

Compare quotes

Compare insurance providers online

See if you can save today on Everquote

Compare quotes

Shelter Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Shelter Auto Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Shelter Auto Insurance?

Original review: Dec. 11, 2018

Horrible service. I was hit by a non insured driver. The adjuster was easy to get in touch with. The claims department never returned my calls or emails. This is going on 5 months. They don’t care about returning my deductible or customer service.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I have secured my business and cars with Shelter, at the beginning when I had my local agent it was super easy to request a COI but now that my agent no longer works with Shelter I have to call customer service. Calling Shelter's customer service to request a COI has been a total dislike and a frustration to me. I had to call three times to get a COI with the address and the correct name of my company, the three times they sent it incorrectly. I called for the fourth time and it turned out that they had already closed the office for that day, and I had to tell my client that was waiting for the COI that I would not have it ready for that day. Shelter, the person who attended me was totally incompetent. This made me think about looking for another company with better agents.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

Today when I received a call back from my insurance and I under distress explained my insurance issue after seeing that double the payment was taken out of my bank account. Instead of trying to help and solve my dilemma. Jonathan ** told me to shut the ** up and that he was not renewing my policy. To make matters worse he hung up on me. I received some unpleasant text messages from him afterwards.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I've had great experiences both in person and over the phone. Local agent that cares about the community. Friendly and helpful employees. Offers multiple choices to work with my budget. Quick response time. Good knowledge of process and very thorough explanations.

Original review: June 1, 2018

I went to Shelter's office which is very close to me and a representative sat down with me and helped me with everything I needed. Their representative is always there to help when I need them. I love how cheap and easy it is. They were the cheapest by far. I have tried getting quotes from many other insurance companies but was either denied or I just could not afford what they wanted me to pay and I have a perfect driving record. I will stay with them forever.

Original review: May 25, 2018

Shelter Auto Insurance is okay - it's the local secretary who really takes care of the local client and tells ideas to save money, and who to call locally for problems.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

This is the most arbitrary and least professional Insurance company ever. Seems like they go out of their way to lose your business. I own several rental houses. At first they take a policy then cancel it because “it looks like it has asbestos” from some picture they have. They don’t seem to bother to check! I will be taking all my business somewhere else. My agent is awesome but the company sucks!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

They have insured my cars and pickups, home and horse trailers for 30+ years! Prompt service and always pleasant and helpful. They help cut premium costs when we asked. Also, I can call anytime with our agent's cell phone! On my way to the hospital to have a baby we hit a deer and the car was driveable but barely! I was in the hospital and they came to the house and picked up the car and took it in for repair for me! They follow up to make sure I am satisfied with whatever is going on! They were helpful and walked me through everything. They ended up paying for everything and going after the other insurance company for reimbursement so I didn't have to deal with the other company.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

LOVE Josh **. Go to him for anything. As a clueless young woman who recently had to figure out many things on my own, Josh has made it as easy as anyone could. Josh as a person is a kind soul and very happy to help. He understands my busy working college student schedule and we text all the time! Whether is simple questions or something I have concerns about. He is a very helpful, funny, and happy to help kind of man. If I could have Josh deal with every aspect of my life it would be bliss. He remembers details and it kinda feels like you're talking to a friend when you're on the phone with him. I appreciate Josh and all the things he has helped me with.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I had been with Shelter for 5+ years, and always knew the service I had received was mediocre. I just figured not to hassle with looking elsewhere. After I had an accident that I was not at fault. My rates went up. Service got worst, and then I had a month I needed 5 more day to pay my insurance, they told me it would have to be prorated and I was fine with that and we agreed my insurance date had been changed. Until it was time to pay, they then proceeded to withdrawing money from my past due date, which cause a return payment, which caused the cancellation of my insurance because of their mistake. I called up their and said it would be more than double of my current insurance rate just to have it started back up. They claimed the price was, a return payment fee... of more than my current rate completely?? One of the biggest scams I have ever been a part of... I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone!

Shelter Auto Insurance Company Information