Compare Quotes

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

Progressive Homeowners Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive Homeowners Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive Homeowners Insurance?

Original review: April 18, 2019

I've had Progressive home insurance for eight years. I recently reported a minor dog bite incident. I did not file a claim, and I don't believe a claim will need to be filed. I received a refund check in the mail today without even a notice of cancellation. I contacted their customer service, who informed me that my policy is being cancelled because of the reported dog bite (keep in mind no claim has been filed). They didn't even have the decency to talk to me about the issue and outline what our options are... I assumed my premium might go up, but I had no idea they would cut and run. I have had their auto insurance for ten years (never filed a claim) as mentioned previously homeowners for eight. If you're looking for an organization that values customer loyalty, do not do business with this company.

Original review: April 3, 2019

Progressive discontinued my first home owner's policy in October of 2018. When I was asked to change the underwriter, the amount went from $250 a year to over $1200 (this included partial payments fees not necessary) for the same annual coverage. I cancelled my homeowner's policy on 3/8/19. When I received my refund, I expected to be reimbursed for the $140 that I was initially charged for the unused partial payments fees (my bank and I paid the total policy amount up front). Progressive should have reimbursed me the $140 overcharge once they realized the policy had been paid for in full at the beginning of the policy period.

Original review: April 3, 2019

Had some roof damaged and it was brought to my attention that Progressive had insured my starter $169000 home for $298000. Shame on them for taking advantage of a young buyer! Now I will have to pay for a new roof myself. Why have insurance?

Original review: March 5, 2019

Progressive insurance is a very poorly organized company that will lead to a frustrating problem. I insured my home and paid in full. Two months later, I got a telephone message stating that they looked me up on social media and found pictures of a dog that is not allowed on the policy and thus, policy was pending cancellation. I have a Scottish Terrier. Perhaps they saw pictures of dogs that I liked on pinterest? Regardless, they informed me that I have 30 days until cancellation. I got a new insurance, again, paid in full, now waiting for my refund from Progressive.

The problem now is, when I call, they will not speak to me. They informed me that "whoever wrote up my policy, did not put my name on it, it was under another name that they cannot disclose." Maybe that "other" policyholder has dogs? I told them that I set up the policy and that the payment was drafted from my personal bank account, but it did not matter. I am forced to suffer from their error without remedy. So now, I wait and hope that they refund me. I also had a auto insurance policy, the premiums significantly jumped, the reason? When I called they told me that there was an increase in accidents "in my zip code." My driving history is spotless, my premiums went up because of my zip code.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I have been a customer of Progressive Insurance (both home and auto) since 2005 but they no longer have my business. They left me without homeowners insurance and failed to provide notification that this would occur. The business relationship between Progressive and Ameriprise was dissolved at the end of August 2018, which resulted in my insurance being discontinued. Neither company would take responsibility for the situation. Progressive forwarded a copy of an email that they claimed to have emailed me but there is absolutely no record of me receiving such an email. They also claim to have called but there were no missed calls on the date they claim to have done so. My phone number and email were all verified to be correct in their records. These claimed attempts to notify me seem rather lame when so much is at stake for the customer.

I was informed of this situation by my mortgage company (who had been notified by the insurance company). This news came 2 days before a major hurricane was set to make landfall on the NC coast. I spent 5 hours on the phone attempting to acquire homeowners insurance before I was successful. Most companies were uninterested as soon as they obtained my zip code due to the impending storm. I finally got insurance but it was expensive, I am paying an additional premium due to the gap that now exists in my insurance and also paid over $400 to the mortgage company for the gap insurance to cover the 10-day gap. Just because you have been a customer for a long time, don't expect them to care... Those days are long gone.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

We have had a roof leak and have never filed a claim. Progressive uses a company, ASI that is supposed to handle our claim. They seemed to be good at first sending someone out to tarp the roof and pull up our brand new carpeting so nothing would mold. That was about a month ago. No one has even bothered to let us know what they are going to do moving forward after multiple phone calls the man handling our claim can’t be bothered I guess. The adjuster told us that after they okayed ripping up our carpet and leaving a hole in the drywall that they won’t be giving us enough money to meet the deductible no matter what the cause is.

No one has still determined whether it was wind or a roof issue. So now during the rainiest time of the year we have a tarp that won’t stay on and room that is in shambles. No idea why the roof is leaking or exactly where from and no one returning any calls. Needless to say not only would I never recommend this company and we will be looking elsewhere for insurance.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2019

Switched to Progressive home and auto to save some money. Was never asked about my animals. One day at 1 pm one of their people decided to show up at my house. My dog did what he is supposed to do and barked and intimidated the hell out of the guy. Long story short, now Progressive won't insure my home because I have an "aggressive dog". My dog is an American Bulldog which is commonly mistaken for a Pitbull but either way, he did what he supposed to do. You would think I would get cheaper rates because absolutely nobody is coming into my house without my permission but Progressive has to deny us. I will gladly pay another 120/year to Travelers who know what kind of dog I have. This "dangerous dog" list is complete **!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

Progressive gives me peace of mind during bad storms. I don't have to worry if anything happens to my house. They respond quickly to my calls and the insurance inspector is very helpful. Their price was right for the amount of coverage I needed. I shopped around a little bit but they were the best with customer service, response time, and timely payout for repairs. They should offer good customer discounts and discounts if you've been a customer for a long time with no claims.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

Progressive was the cheapest at the time, and I didn't have to go to them I just used the computer. They were easy to deal with. I was able to do everything online. It has been ok and it was the coverage I needed.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

Progressive was the cheapest option for the coverage that we needed and was recommended by the agent that we have been using for several years. We also liked that there is a local office. But I think homeowners is relatively expensive and I don't feel like the coverage is sufficient in some cases. I also don't think the policies explicitly state what is or is not covered.

Progressive Homeowners Insurance Company Information