Compare Quotes on Quotewizard
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.03/5

Progressive offers multiple types of insurance, including property coverage for homeowners. You can get a quote through its HomeQuote Explorer tool — the company lets you bundle your home and auto policies so you can save money on your rates. It also offers several discount options, but it requires an exterior home inspection for enrollment.

Progressive Homeowners Insurance Compare Quotes on Quotewizard

Compare insurance providers on Quotewizard

Get started
Compare Quotes on Quotewizard

Progressive Homeowners Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive Homeowners Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive Homeowners Insurance?

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

We had water damage nearly two months ago, My husband has lung problems and the mold from this half-finished project while we wait for approval to continue the repairs has caused him to become sick. The company is stalling and fighting for paying for what should have been an open-shut claim. Their appraiser missed that there was mold and wet boxes when she came. They keep stalling while our house is torn apart and garage full of wet and damaged boxes. I recommend you go elsewhere. This is a disaster.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

It took two months to decide that Progressive does not honor what they've quoted. In July 2019, based in their quote I've had paid $357 for 6 month period, in August 2019 they charged me $42.00 due to an "adjustment" since I did not bundle my home insurance with them, which by the way they quoted $350.00 over than my actual provider; now in September 2019 they are charging me $427.00 more, base in public records showing that my 2 boys are living with me and they've decided to add them to the policy?

Even when I've sent the documents showing that they have the incorrect info, they are still charging me for the 1st two months of premium, before removing them and going back to what I've been quoted at the 1st place, the worst part is that their customer (un)service and underwriting department does not talk the same language. I rather to pay $50.00 more to a professional company than waiting my time and money with Progressive... in the bright side, they have good TV Commercials.

Original review: July 1, 2019

I have had Progressive vehicle insurance for over 10 years. Recently I utilized them for Homeowners Insurance when purchasing my house. Three days before closing on my home I was informed that Progressive was cancelling my policy, claiming I needed to completely replace my roof. Neither my appraisal, nor my professional home inspection indicated any need for roof replacement. My inspector stated our roof probably had about 4 or 5 more years of life. I provided Progressive with a copy of my appraisal and my home inspection, and requested that my policy be reviewed by a second underwriter. They simply sent me an email stating my documentation was insufficient and the policy was still to be cancelled. I will never work with them again and would advise everyone to avoid them.

Original review: June 3, 2019

The dock and boat lift at our Florida house were damaged by the seawall which failed during hurricane Irma. Since these would normally be covered under "other structures", Progressive's financial liability under our hurricane insurance was limited to just over $3500. Instead of paying the claim, Progressive spent hundreds of dollars on an adjuster and a structural engineer to come up with reasons not to pay.

Please read the "General Exclusions" in your policy carefully. The language in ours is so "general" and broad that I'm not sure if our home is covered for any kind of damage! I have 2 cars, a sailboat, and now my home (Progressive recently purchased ASI) insured by Progressive. I consider myself a loyal customer. Shame on Progressive for treating loyal customers like me as just another claim they should fight against paying, in order to protect their bottom line.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I've had Progressive home insurance for eight years. I recently reported a minor dog bite incident. I did not file a claim, and I don't believe a claim will need to be filed. I received a refund check in the mail today without even a notice of cancellation. I contacted their customer service, who informed me that my policy is being cancelled because of the reported dog bite (keep in mind no claim has been filed). They didn't even have the decency to talk to me about the issue and outline what our options are... I assumed my premium might go up, but I had no idea they would cut and run. I have had their auto insurance for ten years (never filed a claim) as mentioned previously homeowners for eight. If you're looking for an organization that values customer loyalty, do not do business with this company.

Original review: April 3, 2019

Progressive discontinued my first home owner's policy in October of 2018. When I was asked to change the underwriter, the amount went from $250 a year to over $1200 (this included partial payments fees not necessary) for the same annual coverage. I cancelled my homeowner's policy on 3/8/19. When I received my refund, I expected to be reimbursed for the $140 that I was initially charged for the unused partial payments fees (my bank and I paid the total policy amount up front). Progressive should have reimbursed me the $140 overcharge once they realized the policy had been paid for in full at the beginning of the policy period.

Original review: April 3, 2019

Had some roof damaged and it was brought to my attention that Progressive had insured my starter $169000 home for $298000. Shame on them for taking advantage of a young buyer! Now I will have to pay for a new roof myself. Why have insurance?

Original review: March 5, 2019

Progressive insurance is a very poorly organized company that will lead to a frustrating problem. I insured my home and paid in full. Two months later, I got a telephone message stating that they looked me up on social media and found pictures of a dog that is not allowed on the policy and thus, policy was pending cancellation. I have a Scottish Terrier. Perhaps they saw pictures of dogs that I liked on pinterest? Regardless, they informed me that I have 30 days until cancellation. I got a new insurance, again, paid in full, now waiting for my refund from Progressive.

The problem now is, when I call, they will not speak to me. They informed me that "whoever wrote up my policy, did not put my name on it, it was under another name that they cannot disclose." Maybe that "other" policyholder has dogs? I told them that I set up the policy and that the payment was drafted from my personal bank account, but it did not matter. I am forced to suffer from their error without remedy. So now, I wait and hope that they refund me. I also had a auto insurance policy, the premiums significantly jumped, the reason? When I called they told me that there was an increase in accidents "in my zip code." My driving history is spotless, my premiums went up because of my zip code.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I have been a customer of Progressive Insurance (both home and auto) since 2005 but they no longer have my business. They left me without homeowners insurance and failed to provide notification that this would occur. The business relationship between Progressive and Ameriprise was dissolved at the end of August 2018, which resulted in my insurance being discontinued. Neither company would take responsibility for the situation. Progressive forwarded a copy of an email that they claimed to have emailed me but there is absolutely no record of me receiving such an email. They also claim to have called but there were no missed calls on the date they claim to have done so. My phone number and email were all verified to be correct in their records. These claimed attempts to notify me seem rather lame when so much is at stake for the customer.

I was informed of this situation by my mortgage company (who had been notified by the insurance company). This news came 2 days before a major hurricane was set to make landfall on the NC coast. I spent 5 hours on the phone attempting to acquire homeowners insurance before I was successful. Most companies were uninterested as soon as they obtained my zip code due to the impending storm. I finally got insurance but it was expensive, I am paying an additional premium due to the gap that now exists in my insurance and also paid over $400 to the mortgage company for the gap insurance to cover the 10-day gap. Just because you have been a customer for a long time, don't expect them to care... Those days are long gone.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

We have had a roof leak and have never filed a claim. Progressive uses a company, ASI that is supposed to handle our claim. They seemed to be good at first sending someone out to tarp the roof and pull up our brand new carpeting so nothing would mold. That was about a month ago. No one has even bothered to let us know what they are going to do moving forward after multiple phone calls the man handling our claim can’t be bothered I guess. The adjuster told us that after they okayed ripping up our carpet and leaving a hole in the drywall that they won’t be giving us enough money to meet the deductible no matter what the cause is.

No one has still determined whether it was wind or a roof issue. So now during the rainiest time of the year we have a tarp that won’t stay on and room that is in shambles. No idea why the roof is leaking or exactly where from and no one returning any calls. Needless to say not only would I never recommend this company and we will be looking elsewhere for insurance.

Progressive Homeowners Insurance Company Information