Compare Quotes
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.98/5

Progressive offers multiple types of insurance, including property coverage for homeowners. You can get a quote through its HomeQuote Explorer tool — the company lets you bundle your home and auto policies so you can save money on your rates. It also offers several discount options, but it requires an exterior home inspection for enrollment.

BOTTOM LINE

Progressive offers standard dwelling insurance with a myriad of additional coverage, discount and bundle options. Its policies can be expensive, however, and the company requires an exterior home inspection.

PROS

• Bundle to save
  • Multiple discount opportunities
  • Several add-on coverage options

CONS

• Exterior home inspection required
  • Coverage can be pricey

Top Progressive Homeowners Insurance Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive Homeowners Insurance?

My family has used Progressive Homeowners Insurance for years because they have always taking care of my family and kids and I will always respect them for the great service that they provide. I like that they seem to care and that they are a dependable company…

Progressive was recommended to me… They are always very helpful when you have any questions about just about anything, as long as it is somewhat related to home or auto type subjects matter. The cost is too high, but then I think everything is too high… I am fortunate…

Progressive Homeowners Insurance Compare Quotes

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Quotewizard

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Quotewizard

Get started

About Progressive home insurance

Progressive provides standard home insurance for damages and necessary repairs and add-on coverage for other structures on the property, personal belongings, temporary living expenses, personal liability and medical payments. The company also offers auto insurance, life insurance and other protection policies, which you can bundle with your home coverage for reduced rates. It also has several other discount opportunities.

Progressive home insurance coverage

To begin, you can get a free online home insurance quote from Progressive’s website. You can customize the quote to meet your coverage needs and take advantage of any available discounts. You can also use Progressive’s HomeQuote Explorer tool to compare home insurance rates and coverage options from a variety of providers. It’s important to note that homeowners insurance policies from Progressive do not cover damages due to:

• Mold and mildew
  • Termites
  • Floods
  • Earthquakes

You can also call a Progressive representative for more details.

Progressive home insurance quotes and cost

Progressive’s home insurance quotes can range from $675 to $2,045 annually depending on your location and the level of coverage you need, and its deductibles cost from $500 to $5,000. If you want lower monthly fees, you can select a higher deductible limit — but this will mean you’re responsible for covering the deductible amount before your insurance kicks in.

Progressive also offers savings of up to 12% on car insurance when you bundle it with a home insurance plan. Its other money-saving opportunities include:

• Home security discounts
  • Advance quotes (10 days before policy starts)
  • New home purchases
  • Pay-in-full discounts
  • Email communication opt-in
  • Single deductible for bundled plans

You can work with a Progressive agent to identify discounts available to you.

Progressive home insurance FAQ

What does Progressive home insurance cover?
Progressive home insurance covers damage to your home caused by fire, wind, hail, roof issues and other problems, but it doesn’t cover damages due to mold/mildew, floods, earthquakes or termites. You can add on extra coverage like personal property, liability and temporary living expenses.
How much is Progressive home insurance?
Progressive home insurance typically costs between $675 and $2,075 per year, depending on coverage type, deductible limit and your location. You can lower your costs by bundling policies and applying for various discounts.
Where is Progressive home insurance available?
Progressive provides home insurance throughout the U.S., though pricing and policy details can vary based on local and state laws.

Is Progressive home insurance good?

Progressive home insurance is good for homeowners who are interested in bundling coverage and who want several add-on coverage options. Many policyholders appreciate Progressive’s HomeQuote Explorer tool, which helps compare coverage and quotes from other providers. Progressive is a well-established insurer with lots of coverage options, but it does require exterior home inspections prior to policy approval.

Progressive Homeowners Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive Homeowners Insurance?

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

They were extremely helpful. They gave me prices of competitors, even ones that were lower prices! The gentleman who helped me was extremely friendly. He told me what all my options were. Once I found a policy I wanted to pay for a year upfront and he walked me through the process and carefully explained how to fill out the online forms. I definitely recommend them!!!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

Company has been fighting me for 2 years over a homeowner's policy where the mover lost thousands and thousands of dollars of antiques. They are deceitful and lie through their teeth. I will now have to hire an attorney to fight them to re cooperate the loss, when it states specifically in the policy this is covered.

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 24, 2020

We have auto insurance through Progressive and they keep advertising bundle home and auto so I thought I'd try it. We have four Great Danes, 2 of which are show dogs and 1 was number 33 in the country in 2019. When Progressive asked if I had dogs, I informed them I had Great Danes. Evidently Great Danes are on their can not insure list. I guess I'll be looking for a new automobile insurance also now!

Original review: June 23, 2020

I have home insurance from Progressive. Insurance declaration page has NO contact information at all. Only name of the agent. I googled and found general number for Progressive home insurance. Progressive representative finally gave me phone number for my agent. But I was surprised that the number was not in service. Thus, I had to call general number back. Total I spent more than 2 hours to submit copy of alarm certificate. I could do it for 5 min if information would be on my page. It's ridiculous. Why do not provide all contact info on declaration page and prevent customers from losing time on the phone????

Original review: May 22, 2020

I was happy with Progressive until they wanted to increase my home Insurance 178%. Could not get answers to why the increase - just a list of possible causes without any ability to tell me how each impacted me. They said they had no way of determining the impact of each factor they cited. They tried to blame Homesite but I got a quote from another Insurance Company that is underwritten by Homesite and it was almost the same as I was paying. Progressive either made an error or has some odd algorithm that skyrocketed my rate. They said my Insurance Score was worse than before so I believe that may have been the main impact but they couldn't confirm that. Odd that my Insurance Score got dramatically worse when I had no claims and my Credit Score is about the same as it has been in the past at 823.

Seems to be a common theme when I read reviews of Progressive, that the home insurance rate increases dramatically after 3 years without explanation. I got a much lower rate from another company and moved all my policies to that Company. I'm paying a little more for my auto insurance but saving on my home owner insurance and 2 travel trailer policies. I tried to get answers for 3 weeks and just got nowhere. Every time a different rep when I called and no one took ownership of my issue to try to get it resolved except the last rep I talked to. She at least discussed it with her Supervisor and called me back the next day but still had no answers.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2019

Our mother’s property is in a guardianship at the Brooklyn Supreme court. The Vera Institute, The guardian of our mother’s property, located at ** has been contracting Progressive whose owner is "Al" since 2011. Al has, since 2011 billed our mother’s estate for incomplete work we had to complete ourselves with another contractor, for work not performed and continually billed the estate with excessive fees. The latest example is to bill the estate to repair a wall he is charging $45,000 to do. On our own, we received an estimate for $5,500 to get the same work performed. Repairs are basically done at fair market value. How could there be such a discrepancy in prices? We believe that this company is engaged in some type of racket with the Vera Institute. We ask that this matter be investigated as soon as possible.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2019

They do not process cancellations, had to call a second time to get them to refund money that was owed to me for overpayment by my bank (another story). They are less than ethical and not professional. You have to follow up on everything.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

I called Progressive Auto insurance today to cancel a vehicle I sold. First my policy price raised $20/month because of loss of multivehicle. Then I was asked who I had homeowners through. When I told them Progressive. They had no record of my homeowner's insurance. After searching for my policy, I realized the guy I spent 1 1/2 hours with didn't send me the policy. They said they didn't even have a record of a quote? Funny? He asked all the insurance questions about my house, told me it was going through a sister company Liberty Mutual. But yet I had NO HOMEOWNERS INSURANCE FOR 5 MONTHS???

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

We had water damage nearly two months ago, My husband has lung problems and the mold from this half-finished project while we wait for approval to continue the repairs has caused him to become sick. The company is stalling and fighting for paying for what should have been an open-shut claim. Their appraiser missed that there was mold and wet boxes when she came. They keep stalling while our house is torn apart and garage full of wet and damaged boxes. I recommend you go elsewhere. This is a disaster.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

It took two months to decide that Progressive does not honor what they've quoted. In July 2019, based in their quote I've had paid $357 for 6 month period, in August 2019 they charged me $42.00 due to an "adjustment" since I did not bundle my home insurance with them, which by the way they quoted $350.00 over than my actual provider; now in September 2019 they are charging me $427.00 more, base in public records showing that my 2 boys are living with me and they've decided to add them to the policy?

Even when I've sent the documents showing that they have the incorrect info, they are still charging me for the 1st two months of premium, before removing them and going back to what I've been quoted at the 1st place, the worst part is that their customer (un)service and underwriting department does not talk the same language. I rather to pay $50.00 more to a professional company than waiting my time and money with Progressive... in the bright side, they have good TV Commercials.

Progressive Homeowners Insurance Company Information