Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Compare and Save - Protect Your Home

Compare Quotes

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.37/5

Progressive Homeowners Insurance Gallery (3)
View More View More

Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Compare and Save - Protect Your Home

Compare Quotes

Progressive Homeowners Insurance Reviews

Original review: Dec. 29, 2019

Our mother’s property is in a guardianship at the Brooklyn Supreme court. The Vera Institute, The guardian of our mother’s property, located at ** has been contracting Progressive whose owner is "Al" since 2011. Al has, since 2011 billed our mother’s estate for incomplete work we had to complete ourselves with another contractor, for work not performed and continually billed the estate with excessive fees. The latest example is to bill the estate to repair a wall he is charging $45,000 to do. On our own, we received an estimate for $5,500 to get the same work performed. Repairs are basically done at fair market value. How could there be such a discrepancy in prices? We believe that this company is engaged in some type of racket with the Vera Institute. We ask that this matter be investigated as soon as possible.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2019

They do not process cancellations, had to call a second time to get them to refund money that was owed to me for overpayment by my bank (another story). They are less than ethical and not professional. You have to follow up on everything.

Get expert buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

I called Progressive Auto insurance today to cancel a vehicle I sold. First my policy price raised $20/month because of loss of multivehicle. Then I was asked who I had homeowners through. When I told them Progressive. They had no record of my homeowner's insurance. After searching for my policy, I realized the guy I spent 1 1/2 hours with didn't send me the policy. They said they didn't even have a record of a quote? Funny? He asked all the insurance questions about my house, told me it was going through a sister company Liberty Mutual. But yet I had NO HOMEOWNERS INSURANCE FOR 5 MONTHS???

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

We had water damage nearly two months ago, My husband has lung problems and the mold from this half-finished project while we wait for approval to continue the repairs has caused him to become sick. The company is stalling and fighting for paying for what should have been an open-shut claim. Their appraiser missed that there was mold and wet boxes when she came. They keep stalling while our house is torn apart and garage full of wet and damaged boxes. I recommend you go elsewhere. This is a disaster.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

It took two months to decide that Progressive does not honor what they've quoted. In July 2019, based in their quote I've had paid $357 for 6 month period, in August 2019 they charged me $42.00 due to an "adjustment" since I did not bundle my home insurance with them, which by the way they quoted $350.00 over than my actual provider; now in September 2019 they are charging me $427.00 more, base in public records showing that my 2 boys are living with me and they've decided to add them to the policy?

Even when I've sent the documents showing that they have the incorrect info, they are still charging me for the 1st two months of premium, before removing them and going back to what I've been quoted at the 1st place, the worst part is that their customer (un)service and underwriting department does not talk the same language. I rather to pay $50.00 more to a professional company than waiting my time and money with Progressive... in the bright side, they have good TV Commercials.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Progressive Homeowners Insurance?

Original review: July 1, 2019

I have had Progressive vehicle insurance for over 10 years. Recently I utilized them for Homeowners Insurance when purchasing my house. Three days before closing on my home I was informed that Progressive was cancelling my policy, claiming I needed to completely replace my roof. Neither my appraisal, nor my professional home inspection indicated any need for roof replacement. My inspector stated our roof probably had about 4 or 5 more years of life. I provided Progressive with a copy of my appraisal and my home inspection, and requested that my policy be reviewed by a second underwriter. They simply sent me an email stating my documentation was insufficient and the policy was still to be cancelled. I will never work with them again and would advise everyone to avoid them.

Original review: June 3, 2019

The dock and boat lift at our Florida house were damaged by the seawall which failed during hurricane Irma. Since these would normally be covered under "other structures", Progressive's financial liability under our hurricane insurance was limited to just over $3500. Instead of paying the claim, Progressive spent hundreds of dollars on an adjuster and a structural engineer to come up with reasons not to pay.

Please read the "General Exclusions" in your policy carefully. The language in ours is so "general" and broad that I'm not sure if our home is covered for any kind of damage! I have 2 cars, a sailboat, and now my home (Progressive recently purchased ASI) insured by Progressive. I consider myself a loyal customer. Shame on Progressive for treating loyal customers like me as just another claim they should fight against paying, in order to protect their bottom line.

Original review: April 18, 2019

I've had Progressive home insurance for eight years. I recently reported a minor dog bite incident. I did not file a claim, and I don't believe a claim will need to be filed. I received a refund check in the mail today without even a notice of cancellation. I contacted their customer service, who informed me that my policy is being cancelled because of the reported dog bite (keep in mind no claim has been filed). They didn't even have the decency to talk to me about the issue and outline what our options are... I assumed my premium might go up, but I had no idea they would cut and run. I have had their auto insurance for ten years (never filed a claim) as mentioned previously homeowners for eight. If you're looking for an organization that values customer loyalty, do not do business with this company.

Original review: April 3, 2019

Progressive discontinued my first home owner's policy in October of 2018. When I was asked to change the underwriter, the amount went from $250 a year to over $1200 (this included partial payments fees not necessary) for the same annual coverage. I cancelled my homeowner's policy on 3/8/19. When I received my refund, I expected to be reimbursed for the $140 that I was initially charged for the unused partial payments fees (my bank and I paid the total policy amount up front). Progressive should have reimbursed me the $140 overcharge once they realized the policy had been paid for in full at the beginning of the policy period.

Original review: April 3, 2019

Had some roof damaged and it was brought to my attention that Progressive had insured my starter $169000 home for $298000. Shame on them for taking advantage of a young buyer! Now I will have to pay for a new roof myself. Why have insurance?

Progressive Homeowners Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Progressive Homeowners Insurance is a division of the Progressive Corporation, a large company known for offering a wide range of insurance products including rental, condo, mobile home and traditional home coverage.

• Select what you pay: Customers of Progressive can select what they pay out-of-pocket if they have a claim, and then their insurance policy will take care of the rest.

• Legal fees covered: If a homeowner is sued because of something that happens to their home, Progressive will cover the insurance bill through its liability coverage.

• Flood insurance available: The company offers insurance to homeowners in flood areas, which can be rare for homeowners insurance companies.

• Free online quote: Customers can receive a free quote for what their insurance might cost them online, which is simple and convenient.

• Multiple insurance policies offered: Progressive offers multiple types of insurance, so homeowners can purchase all of their insurance in one place. Many customers also receive a discount on things like homeowners insurance if they purchase multiple policies from the company.

• Best for: Traditional homeowners, condo owners and mobile home owners

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor