2. Finance
  3. Life Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.13/5

Policygenius allows you to easily compare and buy life insurance online. In minutes, you can get quotes from over a dozen insurance companies and save up to 40%. With Policygenius, it’s never been easier to compare insurance and apply online.

BOTTOM LINE

Policygenius Life Insurance provides a learning center, clear recommendations, helpful tools and top-rated agents. Policygenius connects customers with life insurance providers who may require a medical exam.

PROS

• Learning center
  • Evaluates 13 providers
  • Simple tools and calculators

CONS

• Medical exam with provider

Top Policygenius Life Insurance Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Policygenius Life Insurance?

I was looking to finally add some life insurance. I had looked around on my own but found it to be a bit of a mess and kind of confusing. The team at PolicyGenius made things so easy. ... Everything went so incredibly smoothly that I even used PG to change my home and auto policies.

Super simple, great rates. When I signed up I was worried that the rate I was provided was not accurate. The final rate was as quoted. The customer service has been great and their follow up is outstanding. I would highly recommend this service for anyone looking to get life insurance.

About Policygenius Life Insurance

Policygenius is committed to simplifying life insurance shopping by providing jargon-free explanations and easy-to-use tools to calculate coverage needs. In less than 10 minutes, customers can estimate their coverage needs with Policygenius’ life insurance coverage calculator and their monthly prices with its quote tool.

The company collects quotes from multiple life insurance companies based on the customer's age, health, family history and requested coverage. The quote tool provides offers from 13 life insurance providers and displays the best quotes for the customer. All further application requirements — such as a medical exam — must be completed with the insurance provider.

Are Policygenius’ life insurance partners actually good?

Policygenius partners with vetted life insurance companies that have a reputation for excellent customer service, long-term financial stability and competitive price scales. These life insurance providers include:

• AIG
    • Prudential
    • Savings Bank Mutual Life
    • Transamerica

Policygenius Life Insurance coverage & terms

Customers shopping for term- and whole-life insurance on Policygenius can choose coverage limits between $5,000 and $10 million.. The company's partners offer whole-life insurance and term-life insurance with lengths between 10 and 40 years.

Though whole life insurance is an option, Policygenius recommends most young, healthy individuals choose a term length based on the length of their financial responsibility. In other words, an adult with young children or a 20-year mortgage is only financially responsible for those for about 20 or 25 years and should choose a 25-year term.

Whole life insurance, according to Policygenius, is best for older people, those with health conditions and people who are looking for smaller amounts of coverage.

Policygenius also recommends a coverage amount around 10 times a person's yearly income. For example, an adult with young children, a mortgage and an income of $50,000 should consider a policy that pays out $500,000.

Policygenius representatives can help customers navigate their needs and find which types are offered by providers, including:

• Simplified issue life insurance
    • Guaranteed issue life insurance
    • Final expense insurance
    • Variable life insurance

How much does Policygenius Life Insurance cost?

Customers shopping for term- and whole-life insurance on Policygenius can choose coverage limits between $5,000 and $10 million. The company’s partners offer whole-life insurance and term-life insurance with lengths between 10 and 40 years. Significant cost indicators for life insurance include:

• Age
    • Health status
    • Family history

Younger people in good health with a history of healthy family members pay significantly less for their life insurance.

Customers can minimize premiums by opting into lower coverage amounts and terms. However, if you choose a smaller amount of coverage and a shorter term, you may need to purchase another policy later in life, which costs more. As Policygenius’ monthly premiums are fixed for the term, it's more cost-effective to purchase a longer policy at a fixed price when you’re younger.

Policygenius Life Insurance FAQ

Are Policygenius agents affiliated with insurance providers?
    No, Policygenius agents are independent brokers who recommend a provider based on a customer’s profile, coverage needs and budget.
    How does Policygenius make money?
    As an independent broker, Policygenius receives a commission every time a customer chooses a provider recommended by a Policygenius agent. The commission is built into the price of your policy and Policygenius charges no additional fees, so you’re still getting the lowest price available.
    Does Policygenius require a medical exam for life insurance?
    Policygenius does not require customers to get a medical exam before receiving a quote, but your provider might require one before activating the policy. If the quote Policygenius provided changes after completing a medical exam, you can ask your agent to find a better solution with another provider.

Is Policygenius Life Insurance any good?

Policygenius Life Insurance is perfect for those who want a life insurance policy they can understand and afford. The Life Insurance Learning Center helps customers understand terminology and options so they can make an informed choice. Policygenius' tools allow most customers to calculate their needs in seconds, and the company has agents available by online chat, phone or email to answer any further questions.

Policygenius Life Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Policygenius Life Insurance?

Original review: June 26, 2020

Everyone I spoke with from the beginning to the end of the process was kind, knowledgeable, helpful, understanding and genuinely a pleasure to work with. I normally dread working with people over the phone, and I have a very low tolerance of call center type attitude. At no point during the process was there anything but help and positivity. I was kept informed and regularly updated throughout the long underwriting process.

Policygenius Life Insurance response

Thank you for your review Alasdair! Our goal at Policygenius is to provide exceptional and kind service to all our clients. We are so happy to hear you had a good experience with us. Thank you for allowing us to provide you with financial protection! -Elaine D.

Original review: June 11, 2020

I am happy with the overall experience and in particular the frequent updates Policygenius has provided. The one area for improvement is in matching summary information about policy data with the actual data in documents provided by the insurer. In my case, there was a discrepancy in the payment due date for my first payment between Policygenius' summary email and the actual insurance document and schedule. It took me some time to sort this out.

Hello Joachim,

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear you were happy with your experience and with the updates from the Policygenius team. Thank you also for bringing to our attention the discrepancy with the due dates. We are a growing enterprise, and critical feedback like yours is necessary and helpful for us to improve.

For a variety of reasons, a client may need to sign a policy by a certain date to lock in the premium price. Going forward, we will work to fine tune our process to make sure there is clear communication from Policygenius regarding what the policy due date is and the reason for the due date.

I would be happy to speak with you by phone to address your concerns. Please feel free to give me a call at 646.240.4832 at your convenience. Thank you again for taking the time to bring this issue to our attention.

Client Experience Associate, Policygenius

Get buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 9, 2020

I highly recommend Policygenius for shopping for life insurance. Shopping for life insurance seemed like an overwhelming task when I was searching for rates on my own, but Policygenius saved me a lot time on researching policies and rates, and Policygenius stayed with me throughout the long process of applying for life insurance. Policygenius was very helpful in working with my policy application.

Policygenius Life Insurance response

Thank you for your review David! At Policygenius our goal is to help our clients get the best rates, and make the process as streamlined as possible. We are so happy to hear you were happy with our service. Thank you for allowing us to provide financial protection to your family. -Elaine D.

Original review: June 1, 2020

The process of getting a policy could not have been smoother. Policy Genius allowed me to compare the cost of different policies and connected me with the best provider for my needs. They made the whole process easy. I plan on using them to comparison shop the other types of insurance that I need.

Policygenius Life Insurance response

Thank you for the positive review and the kind words Aron! We do our best to make this as easy as possible for our clients and we're glad to hear we were able to help! We would be more than happy to help with any future insurance needs so please keep us in mind! -Matt R.

Original review: March 22, 2020

Policygenius representatives were extremely helpful throughout the process of finding and purchasing life insurance. The reps were quick to respond, provided help in a few simple steps, and were always courteous. The company provided many helpful prompts that kept me informed as to the status of my application and what I needed to do next. I would recommend this service to anyone looking for assistance with securing life insurance.

Policygenius Life Insurance response

Thank you for your review! At Policygenius we pride ourselves on helping to streamline the life insurance process, and providing open communication with our clients. Thank you for allowing us to provide financial protection to your family. -Elaine D.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2021

By the time they did, I had coverage with a different company. The truth is that if the person who interviewed me initially had listened better, he could have given me better advice on the product I needed.

Policygenius Life Insurance response

Thank you for your feedback Joel. I want to apologize for the poor experience you had with us. This is not the level of customer service we strive for at Policygenius. If you are willing to provide some additional information I can look into this in more detail for you. I can be contacted at 646-240-4832 if you are open to discussing by phone.

Senior Client Experience Associate, Policygenius

Original review: Oct. 13, 2020

I tried to apply for a life insurance policy, but due to straight-up discrimination, my application was never even submitted. One of the steps is to talk with an agent and go through your medical history. I called and spoke to my agent and we went through a brief questionnaire. During our conversation, I revealed I was on the autism spectrum. He had an audible reaction to this and then asked me "how I experience autism". I gave a brief overview of my symptoms and explained that it doesn't negatively impact my life or my health.

He said he wasn't sure if he could submit me for life insurance. He would talk to the underwriters and get back to me. Weeks went by and I never received any updates. So I called in to check the status of my application only to learn they had never submitted it at all. I am perfectly healthy and never in a million years would have expected my diagnosis of "traits common to Aspergers" to change my ability to receive service from an insurance aggregator. This is plain out discrimination.

Hi Erin,

Thank you for your feedback.

We are a growing enterprise, and critical feedback like yours is necessary and helpful for us to improve. While no one likes to get called out publicly, it does demonstrate how poor your experience was and the need for us to improve.

Our agents service members of the community with a wide range of pre-existing conditions, health impairments, and past medical procedures, and need to ask a number of questions to provide the most accurate quotes upfront. As we can always do better, we have provided feedback to the agent on how to have best handled your case. After further investigation we can confirm that the agent did not follow through in submitting your request for quotes, though I have personally submitted your information to obtain quotes for you. I do apologize for these errors that ultimately caused the delay in providing the quotes. We will be providing additional training around better follow through with this specific agent. Further, your case has been escalated to our management team to help keep it on the right path.

I would be happy to speak with you by phone about your concerns. Please feel free to give me a call at your convenience so we can provide a personalized experience to you. Thank you again for taking the time to bring this issue to our attention and I will be emailing you as soon as I have obtained your preliminary quotes.

Jeremy

Original review: Sept. 24, 2020

The people at Policy Genius are typically very helpful and kind, so that end of the company is wonderful (and their website is pretty great too). But, the sheer amount of hoops you have to jump through for some of the recommended carriers is insane. I started an application for life insurance to replace an existing policy three months ago, and they still need more information. I'm a generally healthy younger person, and the last experience I had with life insurance took less than a month total. I don't know if it is just a lack of experience on the recommended carrier's end, but unfortunately I can't recommend Policy Genius, as they were the company that recommended them.

Dear Alphonse,

Thank you for your feedback.

We appreciate your feedback and are working to improve our processes to prevent this type of situation in the future. I will personally see to it that your application is expedited to the best of my ability to help get you a policy. It looks like we were successful in getting your wife a policy in four weeks, which is the expected timeframe for a straightforward application.

For your own application, the life insurance companies we work with must complete underwriting for each client, and this may entail different requirements depending on the client’s current situation and health history. However, we recognize that three months of processing time is certainly not standard or ideal. Unfortunately due to COVID 19 your initial blood test could not be processed and we had to await approval from the life insurance company to use the results from your doctor instead. This caused delays in the turnaround time. We completely understand your frustration with the length of time the process has taken and apologize for the delays.

I would be happy to speak with you by phone to address your concerns. Please feel free to give me a call at 646-240-4832. Thank you for bringing this situation to our attention.

Elaine Doud

Original review: July 29, 2020

Terrific experience. 1) Professionalism of the staff. 2) Easy to do business with. 3) Crisp and Timely communication. 4) I loved the digital experience outside the first phone call. There was not much telephonic contact and that’s the way to do modern business.

Policygenius Life Insurance response

Thank you for your feedback Tamanna! We are so glad to hear you were happy with our service. Our goal is to combine excellent customer service with technology to create a streamlined process to purchase insurance. Thank you for using Policygenius! -Elaine D.

Original review: July 28, 2020

Policygenius is truly a great company. They helped my wife and I get a policy within a matter of days. Everyone I spoke with was very helpful and knowledgeable. They help you navigate the different companies and policies. With so many companies out there they make sure they get you the right one for the right price.

Policygenius Life Insurance response

Thank you for your review Aaron! At Policygenius our goal is to provide multiple options to our clients, along with non-biased advice. Thank you for allowing us to provide financial protection to your family! - Elaine D.

Policygenius Life Insurance Company Information