2. Finance
  3. Life Insurance
Accredited Partner

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.76/5

Policygenius allows you to easily compare and buy life insurance online. In minutes, you can get quotes from over a dozen insurance companies and save up to 40%. With Policygenius, it’s never been easier to compare insurance and apply online.

View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Policygenius Life Insurance provides a learning center, clear recommendations, helpful tools and top-rated agents. Policygenius connects customers with life insurance providers who may require a medical exam.

PROS

• Learning center
  • Evaluates 13 providers
  • Simple tools and calculators

CONS

• Medical exam with provider

Top Policygenius Life Insurance Reviews We Found

I was looking to finally add some life insurance. I had looked around on my own but found it to be a bit of a mess and kind of confusing. The team at PolicyGenius made things so easy. ... Everything went so incredibly smoothly that I even used PG to change my home and auto policies.

Super simple, great rates. When I signed up I was worried that the rate I was provided was not accurate. The final rate was as quoted. The customer service has been great and their follow up is outstanding. I would highly recommend this service for anyone looking to get life insurance.

About Policygenius Life Insurance

Policygenius is committed to simplifying life insurance shopping by providing jargon-free explanations and easy-to-use tools to calculate coverage needs. In less than 10 minutes, customers can estimate their coverage needs with Policygenius’ life insurance coverage calculator and their monthly prices with its quote tool.

The company collects quotes from multiple life insurance companies based on the customer's age, health, family history and requested coverage. The quote tool provides offers from 13 life insurance providers and displays the best quotes for the customer. All further application requirements — such as a medical exam — must be completed with the insurance provider.

Are Policygenius’ life insurance partners actually good?

Policygenius partners with vetted life insurance companies that have a reputation for excellent customer service, long-term financial stability and competitive price scales. These life insurance providers include:

• AIG
  • Prudential
  • Savings Bank Mutual Life
  • Transamerica

Policygenius Life Insurance coverage & terms

Customers shopping for term- and whole-life insurance on Policygenius can choose coverage limits between $5,000 and $10 million.. The company's partners offer whole-life insurance and term-life insurance with lengths between 10 and 40 years.

Though whole life insurance is an option, Policygenius recommends most young, healthy individuals choose a term length based on the length of their financial responsibility. In other words, an adult with young children or a 20-year mortgage is only financially responsible for those for about 20 or 25 years and should choose a 25-year term.

Whole life insurance, according to Policygenius, is best for older people, those with health conditions and people who are looking for smaller amounts of coverage.

Policygenius also recommends a coverage amount around 10 times a person's yearly income. For example, an adult with young children, a mortgage and an income of $50,000 should consider a policy that pays out $500,000.

Policygenius representatives can help customers navigate their needs and find which types are offered by providers, including:

• Simplified issue life insurance
  • Guaranteed issue life insurance
  • Final expense insurance
  • Variable life insurance

How much does Policygenius Life Insurance cost?

Customers shopping for term- and whole-life insurance on Policygenius can choose coverage limits between $5,000 and $10 million. The company’s partners offer whole-life insurance and term-life insurance with lengths between 10 and 40 years. Significant cost indicators for life insurance include:

• Age
  • Health status
  • Family history

Younger people in good health with a history of healthy family members pay significantly less for their life insurance.

Customers can minimize premiums by opting into lower coverage amounts and terms. However, if you choose a smaller amount of coverage and a shorter term, you may need to purchase another policy later in life, which costs more. As Policygenius’ monthly premiums are fixed for the term, it's more cost-effective to purchase a longer policy at a fixed price when you’re younger.

Policygenius Life Insurance FAQ

Are Policygenius agents affiliated with insurance providers?
No, Policygenius agents are independent brokers who recommend a provider based on a customer’s profile, coverage needs and budget.
How does Policygenius make money?
As an independent broker, Policygenius receives a commission every time a customer chooses a provider recommended by a Policygenius agent. The commission is built into the price of your policy and Policygenius charges no additional fees, so you’re still getting the lowest price available.
Does Policygenius require a medical exam for life insurance?
Policygenius does not require customers to get a medical exam before receiving a quote, but your provider might require one before activating the policy. If the quote Policygenius provided changes after completing a medical exam, you can ask your agent to find a better solution with another provider.

Is Policygenius Life Insurance any good?

Policygenius Life Insurance is perfect for those who want a life insurance policy they can understand and afford. The Life Insurance Learning Center helps customers understand terminology and options so they can make an informed choice. Policygenius' tools allow most customers to calculate their needs in seconds, and the company has agents available by online chat, phone or email to answer any further questions.

Policygenius Life Insurance Reviews

Original review: June 26, 2020

Everyone I spoke with from the beginning to the end of the process was kind, knowledgeable, helpful, understanding and genuinely a pleasure to work with. I normally dread working with people over the phone, and I have a very low tolerance of call center type attitude. At no point during the process was there anything but help and positivity. I was kept informed and regularly updated throughout the long underwriting process.

Policygenius Life Insurance response

Thank you for your review Alasdair! Our goal at Policygenius is to provide exceptional and kind service to all our clients. We are so happy to hear you had a good experience with us. Thank you for allowing us to provide you with financial protection! -Elaine D.

Get buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 11, 2020

I am happy with the overall experience and in particular the frequent updates Policygenius has provided. The one area for improvement is in matching summary information about policy data with the actual data in documents provided by the insurer. In my case, there was a discrepancy in the payment due date for my first payment between Policygenius' summary email and the actual insurance document and schedule. It took me some time to sort this out.

Hello Joachim,

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear you were happy with your experience and with the updates from the Policygenius team. Thank you also for bringing to our attention the discrepancy with the due dates. We are a growing enterprise, and critical feedback like yours is necessary and helpful for us to improve.

For a variety of reasons, a client may need to sign a policy by a certain date to lock in the premium price. Going forward, we will work to fine tune our process to make sure there is clear communication from Policygenius regarding what the policy due date is and the reason for the due date.

I would be happy to speak with you by phone to address your concerns. Please feel free to give me a call at 646.240.4832 at your convenience. Thank you again for taking the time to bring this issue to our attention.

Sincerely,
    Elaine Doud

Client Experience Associate, Policygenius

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

My husband has had life insurance with the same company for over 30 years. As he approached the age of 65 the premium doubled to over $450 a month. We could not afford that! I searched for alternatives and found Policygenius. After researching the company and finding many positive reviews I gave them a call. I spoke with Jake **. He was extremely knowledgeable and helpful. I gave him as much information as I could then it was up to my husband to complete the process. If you've been married for any amount of time you know you can't MAKE your spouse do anything and it took him a while to follow up. Jake ** was very considerate in reaching out to us to help move the application along and make sure we were informed every step of the way. We now have an affordable life insurance policy for my husband and we're very happy with the service and the product that Policygenius provided to us.

Policygenius Life Insurance response

Susan, thanks so much for your kind review! I'm so pleased Jake provided great advice and kept you on track with your financial goals. - Theresa S.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

I needed life insurance and turned to PolicyGenius. I applied with a company that ended up denying me after providing all of the information they requested. I was bummed out that I'd have to start the process all over again, but I didn't have to! The folks at PolicyGenius found me another company, and I ended up getting my life insurance through them. Throughout the entire time, they proactively kept me in the loop. Every step of the way, they were there. I can't recommend them enough. I will use them again in the future.

Policygenius Life Insurance response

Tanisha, we are so happy to have been able to find coverage for you and that it was a great experience! Thank you for the review. - Theresa S.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

This was such an easy process. They had a quick questionnaire when I first inquired. It gave immediate prices so I could see what was being offered and if it was a good fit for me. Someone followed up shortly after. I’m a business owner, wife and mom - so I’m very busy and it seemed like everything was quick and easy to manage. Great prices and everyone was incredibly friendly to work with. I highly recommend working with policy genius no matter what your needs are - they found a great fit for my husband and I, our situation, family and future planning.

Policygenius Life Insurance response

We appreciate the review, Rachel! Policygenius strives to make insurance buying easy & transparent. - Theresa S.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Policygenius Life Insurance?

Original review: June 25, 2020

Working with Policygenius was easy, convenient, and I would recommend to anyone seeking life insurance. Especially during the COVID-19 pandemic, I did not want to go to an insurance office, or have the agent come to see me. All interaction was via phone, and online. Highly recommend!

Policygenius Life Insurance response

Thank you for your review Bridgette! We are so glad we were able to you find life insurance coverage that suited you. At Policygenius our goal is to provide optimal customer service to all of our clients. Thank you for using our services! -Elaine D.

Original review: June 24, 2020

The quotes provided were very competitive and the policy expert that I worked with, Paul, provided prompt and helpful responses throughout the process. I feel very informed and satisfied with my policy decision. It was also a welcome surprise that there aren't any fees for working with PolicyGenius. Very cool!

Policygenius Life Insurance response

Thank you for your feedback Erik! We are so happy you were satisfied with our services, and we will pass on your feedback to Paul's manager. Thank you for allowing us to provide you with financial protection! -Elaine D.

Original review: June 24, 2020

Fantastic customer service. No pushy at all, committed to ensure you get the best experience while shopping. The company I was working with dropped the ball and Policygenius made sure I would get the deal I was searching for. PS. all the different Policygenius' individuals I interacted with along the way were extremely professional and to the point.

Policygenius Life Insurance response

Thank you for your review! At Policygenius we strive to provide optimal customer service and advocate for our customers. Thank you for allowing us to provide financial protection to your family! -Elaine D.

Original review: June 23, 2020

It was so easy to feel confident and at peace through the whole process with both my policy and my wife's. They took all the guess work out and made it very safe to choose the policy that best suited us. Would definitely use again.

Policygenius Life Insurance response

Thank you for your review! At Policygenius we strive to make the life insurance process streamlined and smooth. Thank you for allowing us to provide financial protection to your family! -Elaine D.

Original review: June 18, 2020

Don't do business with dishonest company's like Policy Genius. We went through the entire process and were approved, but then Policy Genius wanted us to pay a premium 9% higher than the original price. We specifically asked if there would be any changes to the quoted premium if we were approved for the rate after the medical exam. We were assured there would be no changes. Total lie. Our medical exam came back perfect and we were approved at the same level as the original quote. The entire process was problematic. It shouldn't take 4 months to get life insurance. Don't waste your time with these swindlers.

Hello Russell,

Thank you for your feedback.

We are a growing enterprise, and critical feedback like yours is necessary and helpful for us to be better. While no one likes to be called out publicly, it does demonstrate how unsatisfactory your experience was and the need for us to continuously improve.

The premium price provided at the beginning of the life insurance application process is always tentative and never guaranteed based on the limited information available at that time. Pricing can change for a variety of reasons including health history, financial history and age changes that occur during or near the underwriting process. We’re sorry this possibility wasn’t communicated clearly when you asked about potential rate changes. We recognize this led to erosion of trust. We have addressed this oversight and appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

I would be happy to speak with you by phone to address your concerns. Please feel free to give me a call at 646-240-4832. Thank you for bringing this situation to our attention.

Sincerely,