3.8/5 (97 ratings)
Get a Quote on SmartFinancial

Compare car insurance rates near you.

Get an auto quote on SmartFinancial.

Get Started

About Plymouth Rock Auto Insurance

Plymouth Rock Assurance offers home, renters and auto insurance throughout the Northeastern United States. Its car coverage policies feature competitive rates and customizable plans, and its standard coverage includes door-to-door valet and safety rides. The company’s add-on protection includes pet injury and gap coverage options.

Pros

• Competitive rates
  • Customizable and comprehensive plans
  • Pet injury coverage

Cons

• Not ideal for high-risk drivers
  • Limited availability

Bottom Line

Plymouth Rock’s coverage is customizable and comprehensive, and its standard plans include services like door-to-door valet and safety rides. It writes auto policies in six states in the Northeast.

Compare car insurance rates near you.

Get an auto quote on SmartFinancial.

Get Started

Plymouth Rock Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Plymouth Rock Auto Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Plymouth Rock Auto Insurance?

Original review: April 21, 2020

I wrecked my van in Feb 2020 on a Sunday (my fault). I called up to repair the accident and spoke with a woman who said she'd send out a claims adjuster Tuesday b/c Monday was a holiday. The claims adjuster was there Tuesday at noon, figure out the estimate and I had a check in my hand on Thursday or Friday (I was not expecting that). I brought the vehicle to be repaired and they found additional damage and Bertera Collision Repair center worked with Plymouth Rock to have the additional work covered. I don't think things could have gone any better and I even made a video about my experience which you can watch here: **.

Original review: April 16, 2020

I chose this company because it had the best rates. They took 3 payments from me and are now saying they will not cover me because I have an ABOVE ground outdoor oil tank (like every other house in the area). If this is their policy the application should have been declined before payment was made. They should have asked before issuing a policy. Now my policy is canceled and I have to shop around again.

Original review: April 10, 2020

Alright so the only reason I chose this insurance is because at a Honda Dealership it was recommended by the seller. I previously had GEICO, I was lazy to call for a quote. P.R has poor and slow customer service. IT'S A MISSION TO GET CUSTOMER SERVICE CARE AS OFTEN. My biggest strike out was getting different total amounts for my insurance renewal, went from 200 monthly to 235, back to 210 when the rep John ** supposedly fixed it. Then my payment went to 205, and the final; my payment was going to go through on the 8 of April and on the 3rd I got notified I was going Roger charged $335!!! Mind you we are going through the COVID-19 unemployed. Switched back to GEICO, easy customer service, offering 15% off your policy due to the issue, paying 50$ less. I am 24 with a license since 17, no accidents, clean record.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

Plymouth Rock was the cheapest best insurance I found I’ll give them that. BUT, unfortunately I was in an accident October 25th and I took my car to the collision center that works with this company and Plymouth Rock called me today on Christmas Eve to tell me my car is totaled. After it was estimated to be fixed. Why on earth would they call to tell me this on CHRISTMAS EVE! I’m very upset and sad and it basically ruined my holiday. So thank you Plymouth Rock for such a wonderful Christmas present!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

I filed a claim on November 20th, 2019. It’s going on almost a month and my claim is still not resolved. I’ve never experienced a company that exhibited such poor communication. They don’t return calls, they don’t respond to email, and their appraising companies are just as negligent. I’ve only had a few claims in my driving experience. But this is by far the worst. I cannot wait until this issue is resolved because I am dropping them immediately. I do not recommend this company.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

Had an awful experience with Plymouth Rock as my carrier. I was in an accident in December 2018. It was a hit and run where a car slammed into my rear then fled the scene. Luckily I was able to snap a pic of the vehicle. I reported the accident and police worked to identify the assailant. Plymouth Rock was completely useless throughout the experience which ended up lasting 9+ months. I would follow-up every few weeks with my representative assigned to the case. They would never be able to provide any assistance or update (I had to front the deductible and other associated costs with the accident and rental but I believe that is standard practice and no fault of them). A few times they claimed they would get back to me, or follow-up with item 'X', or that I would be reimbursed for this purchase, yet none of that EVER happened. I got my insurance agent involved and he was also useless, just saying that there was nothing he could do.

Finally, the assailant's insurance carrier was identified, Progressive, and they worked to complete the case and reimburse me for my lost funds. Progressive was fantastic in contacting me, following up, and keeping me updated. I felt like this progressive representative was in my corner. Plymouth rock would not even respond to my communication. The case was eventually closed out, still without response from Plymouth Rock. I eventually cancelled my plymouth rock policy and moved to progressive!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2019

Not honest company. Removed a car from my current insurance - (we had 3 cars listed) and I was paying for that car $1044 a year, well they reduced my annual premium only about $400... Looking for another car insurance.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2019

I barely got into accidents. However, I was hit by a supervisor on my way to work, they didn't have the right of way and they had a stop sign as well and I’m not satisfied of how they handled it. Plus the representative was bipolar, she got emotional for me but then became RUDE. Which, of course made me feel unappreciated as their insurance member.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

Our house was hit, TWICE, by a drunk driver (they hit our house, backed up and hit it head on and they were arrested and charged with a DUI). The driver had Plymouth Rock auto Insurance. They sent their claims specialist to check our rod iron fencing that was completely ripped out of the ground, our front porch that the side of it was destroyed, the siding that was ruined (which is the old asbestos siding) and the power line that runs into our electrical meter that is stripped in areas. They then asked us to get a contractor to get an estimate for the materials and labor. This took at least a month because the fencing was solid rod iron, not a molded rod iron and probably from the 1950's. We sent them the estimate from the contractor they told us they received it and then they ghosted us for about another 5 weeks. (5 weeks of us calling them and leaving messages asking them to call us back.)

They told us they sent us a letter, they sent us a check, they sent us the adjuster's estimate and NONE of these things happened and they acted surprised when they realized they hadn't sent any of this information out. It took the associate almost 6 tries to send us an email, while we were on the phone with the associate. We still haven't reached a resolution for this and winter is fast approaching. The cracked and broken siding is going to have snow and ice in and behind it, our front porch mason work that is destroyed is going to have snow and ice behind it, which is going to cause more damage. All we want is to get our stuff fixed.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

I had another insurance company that I was just done with and I needed new insurance and I chose them best on price. Big mistake by me. They told me a transaction didn't go through while I had direct deposit a month before my I was suppose to renew. I they told me the numbers from my bank were off which didn't make sense only because I didn't need to to use my direct deposit until that month. So they pulled me off of direct deposit without my knowledge and jacked the price from 170 to 210 and when I asked why it was higher than Charlie Sheen on a bender they didn't even have a solid answer. I didn't. They just kept trying to sell me more insurance after they raised my rates. The tittle should speak for itself. Please don't get their insurance. It's the worst I've ever had. Worst my last company and that's really saying something.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2019

I contacted Plymouth Rock on my daughter's recommendation and obtained auto and rental insurance on July 25, 2019. That was the beginning of the worse experience I have ever had in my 72 years of life. I was quoted one price and was actually billed something totally different. The company was not able to supply my complex with a “Declaration Page”. Instead they offered a letter on their stationery which of course was unacceptable by my complex, I had to obtain a different policy which still was not acceptable by my complex. I then had no other choice but to obtain insurance through a different company, still have to pay for the renter insurance through Plymouth Rock. However, my auto insurance still remains wrong.

I spoke to several different individuals, supervisor Sherri 8/12 who assured me the problem with me receiving my Insurance card would be resolved, the card was sent to my complex without an apartment number on it. The complex has 699 units so of course I never got the card. The same day 8/12 I spoke to Jordan in Direct Sales who gave me a different Renter policy and quoted me a much better price, however, the correct information was never put in the system and of course when my due date for payment arrived PLYMOUTH ROCK took double the amount I was quoted, thereby over drawing my account and put my account in the minus by $92.00.

It is now 8/28. Once again I had to call PLYMOUTH ROCK, initially the individual whom I won’t name was EXTREMELY ARROGANT until I became belligerent extremely nasty with some choice words and requesting to speak with her supervisor. She then apologized and offered to resolve my immediate issues, I was put on hold several times then she informed me she notice all the times I had called and the changes had not been put in the system, thus my account had been over drawn because of their unprofessionalism and neglect to their customers, especially senior citizens.

I would never ever refer anyone to Plymouth Rock and will be reporting this business to the BBB. I have never been so upset and traumatized by such unprofessionalism and individuals' inability to do their jobs. I understand mistakes happen but not consistently by each and everyone I came in contact with. I WILL BE SEEKING OTHER INSURANCE COMPANIES SO THAT PLYMOUTH ROCK CAN BECOME A BAD DREAM AND OUT OF MY LIFE FOREVER.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

It's tough trying to get them on the phone, then they can never answer your question and send you to another dept. and then another dept. They also don't follow up on new items that should be taken off your policy. You have to push and push.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

Am a Plymouth Rock Customer for the past 12 or more years. Paid for "Accident forgiveness". When they renewed me in Sept. 2018, rates went up like 25%. Called to ask, they said "Oh, it's because we changed our underwriting protocol (or something like that). Good news, since you haven't had a re-underwrite in three years, you are eligible for a re-underwriting though." Now, I do not understand how they just jack customer rates based on a change in how they rate you. But even more perplexing is that when my Agent did the re-underwrite, the rates DID come down to more or less where they had been. So OK, let's just do this.

Now while this is going on, I had a small fender bender. Although I still maintain it wasn't my fault (he hit me, I was standing still!) it got written up as my fault. No big deal I thought, for the first time in 12 years I'll use the accident forgiveness that I PAY for. Except then the Agent calls. The accident forgiveness is on the old policy. The new underwriting isn't in force yet, so it's now going to be more or less the same because of the accident. I said WHAT?

I tried to call and explain to the Reps at Plymouth Rock. Even went to the Customer Service Rep supervisors. I explained that paying $1,000 a year more was not fair, and that shouldn't somehow my accident forgiveness from the existing policy carry to the "new" underwriting? I mean it's really quite customer unfriendly that, in order to NOT pay $1,000 more, I have to have the Policy re-written to begin with - why can't they just look at my 12 year claim free policy and apply the same rate method to it? She got it, and said she would certainly take it up and get back to me; I did this TWICE. No one EVER called back. So I got stuck paying an extra grand for my 2018-2019.

They screwed a 12 year customer without a care, and all I got was a lot of double speak from (very NICE) customer service reps about how underwriting changed. I don't CARE what you did internally. And why in the name of the Lord would the new underwriting method charge me almost $1,000 more as an existing customer than it does if it's written up like I was a new customer (rhetorical question, you do the math).

Bottom line is they are HAPPY to SCREW their long time customers and make it at best inconvenient for you to do anything about it. And if they would do this to me (and they DID), they WILL eventually do it to you, rest assured. Save yourself the grief - AVOID this SCAM house like they are the BLACK PLAGUE!! Don't say nobody warned you!

Original review: July 20, 2019

Went with PR because of price. Purchased a newer car, got rid of an older one, rate went up? And they changed the frequency of my payments? Telling me I need to download an app "Yubi" (which has 2 1/2 stars on google play) or I'll lose a discount that's not listed on my policy? I e-mailed about these issues. Reply said they'd contact me in 2-3 days. It's been 8. No one to answer the phone on weekends? Nowhere to print ins cards on the website. Have to request them by mail? VERY unhappy with the almost non-existent customer service.

Original review: June 19, 2019

I am beyond disgusted with this company. I am not their insured but a victim of their insured's irresponsible driving. Their insured was put at fault on the police report and she admitted she should not have jumped in front of me yet they did not accept liability. 2 ** months waiting for that. Calling them is painful. Emailing is painful. I cannot imagine what it's like going in person. I cannot imagine being insured by them. Their insured never called to report anything and did not answer the phone for my rep or hers to investigate. It took her 2 months to send a pic of her vehicle. Gerri ** was awful. She is at work but either doesn’t answer or has someone give you a pathetic excuse as to why she cannot talk.

All the reps there are just as awful. Incompetent and sad. Why is this even an insurance company?! I called today after 2 weeks of no update only to find out (by Joseph the “manager” btw) that Gerri was out and that they will not accept liability. You’d think a simple call or email would be given to you since the rep was away. But no. They couldn’t even do that. Idk who was worse, Maya the insured or the entire company. PLEASE DO NOT WASTE ANY ANY ANY TIME OR ENERGY WITH PLYMOUTH ROCK. You’d have better luck convincing an atheist God is real than working with these people. I still cannot believe how lousy they are at answering a damn phone.

Original review: April 24, 2019

These people are legalized gangsters. They lie, delay irresponsibly any attempt to start the process. They told Enterprise Car Rental they would pay for rental on daily basis so I could go to work, then now say they never said it. They sent an appraiser, Property Damage Appraiser, who examined the car their insured rear ended at a red light, after telling police she was reaching for her cell phone, and was cited for that, who submitted the report. Plymouth Rock is now saying this appraisal isn’t valid because the car driven by their insured was out of state driver. To add insult to injury, they say they are now investigating and it could take months. How can they get away with this. Where can you go for satisfaction?? Who can you go to file a complaint?? If you look up this company, they have many bad reviews, why are they allowed to be in business??? These folks are SCUM!!!!

Original review: April 17, 2019

Lauren who is in charge of my claim regarding the incident happened in New Jersey never picks up her phone call. Responses are heavily delayed. She claims that the claims are under review by her supervisor over almost a month. Ridiculous and will go back to Progressive or Geico after my claims. Plymouth DO NOT ROCK!

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I had my insurance premium for 2 autos automatically deducted from my payroll for over 20 years. I moved and changed jobs and contacted the company to give them my new address. It was 2 months before I got the new bill which was $2739.00 for the year for two cars over 10 YEARS OLD!!!! They wanted a $1,950 downpayment immediately. Mind you, I have a perfect driving record. So, I cancelled and got Geico instead for less than $1200 per year AND with the same coverage levels. I just received a bill from Plymouth Rock for $653.00 for the two months (April and May) that I allegedly had coverage with them. This number is not pro-rated per those two months but is instead some arbitrary number they made up. And It's $200 over the amount of what two months coverage would be. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!!! THEY'RE ROBBERS. I am getting nowhere with their customer service.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

Had a good price on insurance to start, then after a few months they said I didn’t pay my insurance which I had proof of and had my bank fax in. But they keep saying they never got it, so they continue to try to charge me every month, so I get late fees from my bank because I don’t keep money in it because they keep taking it out again. I’ve talked to servers customer service representatives, all are nice with a greeting and as soon as I say my problem they get an attitude right away and say “Since they haven’t got the money I will keep being charged” but deny they got the proof my bank faxed to them. I get nowhere with them, they no longer respond to my emails regarding this and are terrible to talk to on the phone. I would never get insurance through them again and never would have knowing this.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

After 6 years with Plymouth Rock I change vehicles and my rate almost doubled. Went from a Cadillac to a Toyota. When I questioned the increase my agent checked with them and provided the following explanation. They based my rate on the vehicle price when it was "New" even though it is 5 years old. My Cadillac when it was "New" was 18k more than the Toyota, so this makes no sense. I was told that was the best they could do. Found a new insurance company right away and when comparing the policies I noticed that Plymouth Rock no longer gave me the SDIP credit which amounted to about $350 discount per year. After 20+ years with no accidents or violations, all of a sudden I don't qualify for any type of safe driver discount with them. But I did notice that since I am now retired, they list me as a "mature" driver. No discount for that though.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

This company doesn’t put the client first. They will collect the premiums but not pay claims when you need them. It took the company 48 hours to respond to my first claim. It’s been over 2 weeks and no settlement in place.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

Last night, I was stuck on the side of the road with a flat tire. I called the roadside assistance number I had been given. The operator answered promptly. The wait was less than 30 seconds. The operator started asking for my information, to look me up in the system. The operator tried my name, my phone number, and MY ACTUAL POLICY NUMBER, and could not find me in the system.

I had the operator repeat my policy number back to me twice, to ensure that it had been received correctly. Their alternate options were basically the same as me figuring it out on my own, so I just figured it out on my own. I'm not sure why I have roadside assistance on my policy with Plymouth Rock if I'm going to be left to figure it out on my own like this. Also, I verified this morning that the number I called was the correct number by calling the home office and checking with them. It was correct.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I was in an auto accident, and almost a week later after accepting fault, they still have yet to resolve the auto claim. They are delaying the resolution because of the said excuse "please wait while we investigate our client, his coverage may be canceled or lowered due to the results." It only takes a few mins to see if someone has coverage, much less to investigate their coverage. Their constant stalling is very shady and unethical. Meanwhile, my vehicle is totaled and awaiting insurance claims. I cannot drive my vehicle, it's completely disabled and I cannot provide for my family while my vehicle is disabled.

Original review: July 23, 2018

They would not give up until I was satisfied. They paid for damages on the other car that I did not cause, just to avoid going to court, then they tripled my rates. Plymouth Rock cared about what was the best for me. My former insurance company was not interested in protecting me.

Original review: June 29, 2018

Never left a bad review before, but, Plymouth Rock is the worst car insurer (what is an "assurance company?" ) I've insured many cars with them over the last 22 years. A friend visiting us borrowed my car to go to the supermarket. She accidentally slightly tapped the front corner of another car with no damage to mine. After 22 years with absolutely no claims or tickets at all, they refused to renew my policy because they claimed she lived with me, (that would be news to my wife)! Their premiums are cheap, but BUYER BEWARE. Best to go to Progressive or maybe. NJ CURE. There is enough to worry about daily, not to have to worry about your car insurance. I need some piece of mind, don't you? I will obviously be entering a claim with the state insurance board.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I started looking for a new insurance company after I had Progressive and I was tired of the bill being different every month. I found Plymouth Rock Insurance and they quoted me about 1/3 of what I was paying Progressive and they were by far the lowest anywhere, so I took the deal. Now, after my first 6 month term is up, the premium has nearly doubled!! (They are still less than the others, but I feel cheated because they quoted me one thing.) Nothing has changed as far as drivers, cars, driving records, etc. I planned on this being the bill every month, and now, it is twice the amount that I was quoted.

Original review: May 25, 2018

When we had to add out 2 teenage sons to the policy Plymouth was very helpful in providing rates and keeping ours as low as possible. When compared to other insurances, their rates were better because we had been long time members.

Original review: April 30, 2018

They provide quality Insurance with a competitive rating that is better than most companies that provide insurance to my area. I also like that they provide all documents in a timely manner, that is easily understandable. I purchase my insurance through an independent agent, so I had no contact with the company directly, the agent handles all communication. I had great service from my agent. But I wish their late fees at Plymouth were more reasonable, being chronically ill, I sometimes am late because my illness prevents me from being able to get to the bank on time. When you live on a fixed income it is hard to budget those high fees.

Original review: April 29, 2018

All I needed was my driver license number and VIN number for my car, and we had the policy set up within a 20min phone convo and Plymouth Rock emailed me proof of insurance immediately. They have competitive rates and the website is easy to access. And the fact that we used me ATM card for my first payment makes it a convenient option to start the policy. It is easy and simple to make a payment or make changes to my policy, with their website. Every time I have ever had to call them, the customer service rep was always helpful and direct to the point. I also feel that their customer service skills are outstanding. They do whatever they have to to help solve the problem I may have. The only thing I would improve is making less of a wait time on the phone to get a hold of a customer service rep. They have everything else pretty well covered.

Original review: April 28, 2018

An on time paying, no claims customer for many years of both home and auto with Plymouth Rock, never any issues until there was. I purchased a home owners insurance policy and after the company wrote the policy and took full payment, 9 days later I received a letter saying that not only is the annual premium being raised but there is a threat to cancel because of moss on the roof which there is NOT and overhanging branches which there is NOT.

To that I say to Plymouth Rock, Congratulations! Because you took my money and then turned around and threatened to cancel plus raise the rate for things that don't exist, you just lost yourself 30 years of business from me on both home and auto insurance. 30 years of annual payments to come are now down the drain. Hope it was worth it!! Bye bye Plymouth Rock! Good luck! The picture proves my claim, Anyone see moss? I sure don't. I guess they make up things to justify sketchy behavior, but I'll have no part of it Thank you!

Plymouth Rock Auto Insurance Company Information