Compare Quotes and Save

Get Quotes
3.16/5
Based on 32 reviews that contain star ratings

ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

Plymouth Rock Assurance has made a name for themselves by putting customers first. Plymouth Rock offers home, renters and auto insurance to clients in the northeastern United States. Plymouth Rock Assurance in an InsuraMatch partner. For quotes from Plymouth Rock Assurance and more, call InsuraMatch. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes

32 Plymouth Rock Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

I was in an auto accident, and almost a week later after accepting fault, they still have yet to resolve the auto claim. They are delaying the resolution because of the said excuse "please wait while we investigate our client, his coverage may be canceled or lowered due to the results." It only takes a few mins to see if someone has coverage, much less to investigate their coverage. Their constant stalling is very shady and unethical. Meanwhile, my vehicle is totaled and awaiting insurance claims. I cannot drive my vehicle, it's completely disabled and I cannot provide for my family while my vehicle is disabled.

Original review: July 23, 2018

They would not give up until I was satisfied. They paid for damages on the other car that I did not cause, just to avoid going to court, then they tripled my rates. Plymouth Rock cared about what was the best for me. My former insurance company was not interested in protecting me.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 29, 2018

Never left a bad review before, but, Plymouth Rock is the worst car insurer (what is an "assurance company?" ) I've insured many cars with them over the last 22 years. A friend visiting us borrowed my car to go to the supermarket. She accidentally slightly tapped the front corner of another car with no damage to mine. After 22 years with absolutely no claims or tickets at all, they refused to renew my policy because they claimed she lived with me, (that would be news to my wife)! Their premiums are cheap, but BUYER BEWARE. Best to go to Progressive or maybe. NJ CURE. There is enough to worry about daily, not to have to worry about your car insurance. I need some piece of mind, don't you? I will obviously be entering a claim with the state insurance board.

Original review: June 19, 2018

I started looking for a new insurance company after I had Progressive and I was tired of the bill being different every month. I found Plymouth Rock Insurance and they quoted me about 1/3 of what I was paying Progressive and they were by far the lowest anywhere, so I took the deal. Now, after my first 6 month term is up, the premium has nearly doubled!! (They are still less than the others, but I feel cheated because they quoted me one thing.) Nothing has changed as far as drivers, cars, driving records, etc. I planned on this being the bill every month, and now, it is twice the amount that I was quoted.

Original review: May 25, 2018

When we had to add out 2 teenage sons to the policy Plymouth was very helpful in providing rates and keeping ours as low as possible. When compared to other insurances, their rates were better because we had been long time members.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Plymouth Rock Auto Insurance?

Original review: April 30, 2018

They provide quality Insurance with a competitive rating that is better than most companies that provide insurance to my area. I also like that they provide all documents in a timely manner, that is easily understandable. I purchase my insurance through an independent agent, so I had no contact with the company directly, the agent handles all communication. I had great service from my agent. But I wish their late fees at Plymouth were more reasonable, being chronically ill, I sometimes am late because my illness prevents me from being able to get to the bank on time. When you live on a fixed income it is hard to budget those high fees.

Original review: April 29, 2018

All I needed was my driver license number and VIN number for my car, and we had the policy set up within a 20min phone convo and Plymouth Rock emailed me proof of insurance immediately. They have competitive rates and the website is easy to access. And the fact that we used me ATM card for my first payment makes it a convenient option to start the policy. It is easy and simple to make a payment or make changes to my policy, with their website. Every time I have ever had to call them, the customer service rep was always helpful and direct to the point. I also feel that their customer service skills are outstanding. They do whatever they have to to help solve the problem I may have. The only thing I would improve is making less of a wait time on the phone to get a hold of a customer service rep. They have everything else pretty well covered.

Original review: April 28, 2018

An on time paying, no claims customer for many years of both home and auto with Plymouth Rock, never any issues until there was. I purchased a home owners insurance policy and after the company wrote the policy and took full payment, 9 days later I received a letter saying that not only is the annual premium being raised but there is a threat to cancel because of moss on the roof which there is NOT and overhanging branches which there is NOT.

To that I say to Plymouth Rock, Congratulations! Because you took my money and then turned around and threatened to cancel plus raise the rate for things that don't exist, you just lost yourself 30 years of business from me on both home and auto insurance. 30 years of annual payments to come are now down the drain. Hope it was worth it!! Bye bye Plymouth Rock! Good luck! The picture proves my claim, Anyone see moss? I sure don't. I guess they make up things to justify sketchy behavior, but I'll have no part of it Thank you!

Original review: April 28, 2018

I was comparison shopping and this policy was cheaper than what I previously had. Previously, I had Progressive. Progressive could not give me a better premium, and I made the switched. The service has been excellent and that is why I stayed. However, I would like deductible reduction for every 6 months I am accident free and eventually eliminating the deductible all together. This way, I may have a chance to eventually be able to eliminate my deductible all together.

Original review: April 18, 2018

I like that when I call Plymouth Rock Auto Insurance's office they know who I am. I can always count on high quality customer service whenever I speak with someone in their local office. However, the branch office is quite small- so whenever there's an issue I have to be sure to call when my agent is there since if they are out to lunch or away from their desk it means I will have to wait for a callback. But overall, very good- we can change the policy easily as needed, and they are always very helpful and friendly whenever we call. And they have excellent price. I have been very happy with our policy for many years.

Original review: April 17, 2018

I like the prices in this company. And customer service is also good. I like the fact that they offer many services like road assistance and rental services if you lose your car. But they should improve more options for you to be able to do online. For example if for some reason you need to extend the day of your payment they can have the option for you to extended in which at the moment they don't provide that service. But I had a great experience with Plymouth. I was thinking in changing it but I didn't find no better deal than what this company is offering.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

My son who has given me permission to speak for him bought a brand new car. He had an accident where the car was totaled and may I add that it was not his fault. The other individual admitted he was at fault. We thought the agent (Charles **) was handling everything and we come to find out that he was not. He had handed it over to the total loss agent (Matthew **). He told us he had sent papers out over a week ago which we never got. Several calls to him and we find out that they submitted the claim to the finance company and told us to call them.

We called them and they said my son has to continue paying for a car he doesn't even have anymore because they haven't gotten all their money. They said we had to call the GAP policy and the dealership which nobody from this insurance company told us we had to do. We call the GAP Insurance and find out they canceled our policy when the car was totaled and now they have to reinstate it. This guy Matthew ** cannot answer any questions when you talk to him and doesn't know anything. Meanwhile my son needs a car to go back and forth to work and he can't get one because of this insurance company's inability to do their job. I am at a point where we are going to seek a lawyer to recoup our losses.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

My daughter was in a car accident 4 months ago in which her car was totaled and caused her medical expenses. The representative informed her that she needed to contact her employer, that she would not be able to do her job as a pool supervisor and that she would have to resign. She sent her letter of resignation on July 14, 2017 effective July 18, 2017. She informed her employer that she would need to apply for short-term disability benefits. She provided Plymouth Rock with the name, address and phone number of her health care provider treating her within 10 days of the first day she was unable to work, and the HIPAA form. She also provided the dates of any emergency/urgent care treatment or hospitalization, and completed the application for benefits form as requested.

Her primary care physician completed information needed on the Physicians Statement when she applied for NJ Temporary disability on July 28, 2017. The representative told her that she wouldn't qualify for temporary disability but she had to follow the procedure and apply. This took 2 months. Her case was denied on September 27, 2017. She has lost her wages since the car accident on June 30, 2017. On September 27, 2017, she informed the representative of her denial letter. The representative stated that she now needed another doctors letter stating that she has a disability that enables me to work in order for her to receive any funds from my personal injury protection benefits.

Until this day she has only received $300. Each time I call representing my daughter, I am given different information. Now I am being told that my daughter needs to have her doctor fill out more forms and give his notes from their visits. This information wasn't given prior to October 16, 2017. Remember, each time I call, I'm calling as my daughter and I'm writing down notes of the conversation. My daughter has now become the victim again of a hit and run insurance, which has left her very depressed and sad. I am extremely disappointed with this company, because, each time I call I get rudeness and attitude.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I was insured by Plymouth Rock for over ten years and never had a car accident. My driving record was spotless, no tickets, no accidents. Then I had an accident where I stopped at a stop sign, but the intersection was blocked by a parked truck. I crept out and was struck by a car that was going well beyond the speed limit. The damage to the other vehicle was extensive compared to mine. I was barely moving when I was hit.

The claims representative was nonresponsive and it took 8 days for the appraiser to appraise my car. The total cost of the repair to my car was $450 after my deductible. I asked for accident forgiveness, which was on my policy. The answer came in a surcharge notice. After paying Plymouth Rock roughly 24K for car insurance that I only used once before when my parked car was hit, which cost them all of $475, they hit me with a surcharge and raised my rates. I appealed their decision and the surcharge was retracted. I will never use this insurance company again.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

This is worst insurance company and I do not recommend my friends and family to choose. The story is following: My car and auto were insured by Liberty Mutual for more than 10 years. I was periodically contacted by email and phone call from the Plymouth Rock agents for switching over. Finally in April 2017, Plymouth Rock agents convinced me to switch over from Liberty Mutual by offering discounted rate for both car and home. The important thing is overall premium for both car and home was minimal ($100), therefore I did not have much advantage. Nevertheless, for a change and comparison of service, I have decided to switch over.

After 2-months, Plymouth Rock sends cancellation letter of the policy stating that they cannot insure my home. I was travelling overseas on business trips, did not know the reason for the cancellation. After lot of understanding I understood that this is a planned game from Plymouth Rock, first convince to switch over and then cancel the policy so that one has to pay higher premium after the cancellation of the policy. Beware of Plymouth Rock, worst insurance company.

Original review: June 9, 2017

Every time I've contacted Plymouth Rock Auto on an issue their employees have been very helpful and courteous and my issues have always been expediently resolved. This company offers great customer service and affordable insurance. When I have contacted them for information or resolution of a problem they've responded efficiently and positively.

Original review: June 7, 2017

I spoke with Gerry ** representative who took care of my case where their insurer hit other car and the car spun around to hit my parked car in a parking lot. He keeps telling me he cannot pay me until they investigate everything which takes 45 days or so which means since my car was totaled I have no car to drive when it is obviously their fault since my car is parked in a parking lot and no one was inside. Then I spoke with the supervisor he yelled me while we were having conversation. He keeps telling me he does not have any information and he does not know anything when the accident happened more than a week ago. This company has terrible customer service. The supervisor actually yelled at me.

Original review: June 6, 2017

Refer to the picture attached, this is a Volkswagen CC 2012, the right front part was damaged when the car hit a deer. The insurance company PLYMOUTH ROCK said the car was not repairable and could only be totaled for approximately $8500. I did the maintenance with the car dealer. The car is in a great condition and all wheels are new. Totaling a car in good condition at a low price is the way PLYMOUTH ROCK used to avoid its responsibility! The attitude of the contact person in PLYMOUTH ROCK totality Department (A lady) was so poor. She was yelling at me and told me totality at their price was my only choice. Because of her poor attitude, I felt ill and had to ask her to send me email instead of yelling at me. What does insurance mean??? PLYMOUTH ROCK's insurance is to force customers to sell their car at a low price and avoid the insurance responsibility.

Original review: April 20, 2017

I had gotten rid of them years ago when they deemed an accident that was clearly the other person's fault. It just happened to me again. I was clearly at a full stop waiting for another person to park when all of the sudden her alarm of her car goes off and she backed 5 or 6 spaces to my car. As I saw she wasn't stopping I then tried to get in a parking space but it evidently was too late. She hit me on the side of my car as I was going into parking space. I am sick of NJ with this no-fault accident policy. This has to go cause they used it to declare the accident no fault since the officer never took a statement from me. And charged it to me as the person who said I didn't see her when I never said anything.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2017

My car has been deemed totaled a few weeks ago and everytime I call the agent dealing with my case I don't receive an answer. I have to keep calling and calling in order to get a call back. I talked to a CR and she was so useless. Her answers were "uhmm. I don't know. Uhmm I don't see that here. Uhmm I don't know". What kind of help is that? Worst customer service from an insurance provider I've ever received. I shouldn't have to keep chasing them every single day to get answers on my case status! I would give 0 stars if I could. Looking to switch the other cars we have insured with them as well.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2017

This company sucks. I'd give them zero stars if possible. I've just gone onto my own insurance this year, and I called multiple Insurances to compare, and this one was the sad winner. After having me give my down payment and first month's pay, the company decided to change my rate. Without even warning me they added an extra $153 to my monthly payments. Then when I asked why, I got some random responses asking about my mother's insurance? And then they credited me $30 for probably complaining about their **-up.

Then a few months later after already receiving my mother's insurance info they decide to tell me that if we live in the same household that one of us has to change our insurance??? It's not (and I quote) "Compatible"?? So I go ahead and try and ask one more time why this obscured instance is occurring, and if this is true why no one had said anything MONTHS ago when first receiving the info, and I get my question completely ignored and they ask for the papers again. This company is truly an awful one. If you're on your own for the first time I HIGHLY recommend you keep looking. This company has truly scammed me.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2016

The representative listened to my details and processed my claim in a professional and timely manner. In my opinion, they are always very helpful and eager to work with me on different issue like payments and financial advice. I have been with this company for 20 years now. They build relationships with their customers. I have had 3 claims in the past and all my medical was paid, my car was repaired quickly and when I was not able to make a payment, they worked with me to ensure that my insurance was not cancelled. Priceless. I have referred several people to them and they are very pleased to this day. In conclusion, I would never leave this company because of their outstanding service.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2015

I never had any problems with Plymouth Rock. They always send me a reminder when payment is due and if I ever have any questions, their friendly service is always able to answer all my questions in a prompt manner.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2015

I have had this insurance for 30 years. It was originally called Prudential. I have not had many issues but when I did I found that they were handled quickly and efficiently. The people are nice when I speak to them. I feel their cost is comparable to other insurance companies.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2015

When I had an accident, they were extremely helpful. I had no trouble reaching someone on the phone. They dealt with the other driver's insurance company for me and ultimately my claim was settled to my satisfaction. I appreciated their help and would definitely recommend them to others.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2015

I have never had one problem with Plymouth Rock. They are a reputable firm and would recommend to anyone. They are always there for me. I have a great insurance agent who is always there for us. We also have car and home insurance.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2015

Good rates, ample coverage. No problems. No claim experience with my insurer. Good discount programs. Have a good reputation in this state. Have been insured for at least five years with my insurer.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2015

Great prices and really helpful customer service. Easy payment options, and they email you to remind you that a payment is due. I haven't had to call them for any other reason, as I haven't had an accident or any kind of claim to open.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2015

I have had a very positive experience with Plymouth Rock. Their customer service has been exceptional and price has been the best I have found over the past several years. Premiums had only slightly increased unlike my previous insurance company. They have always felt promptly with any issue and I would not consider changing insurance companies anytime soon.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2015

The customer service is friendly and helpful and the coverage is very good. Representatives made it easy to sign up for the coverage, make any changes to the coverage, and pay for the premiums. They took the time to explain coverages and answer any questions that I had. Prior to a trip, I called Plymouth Rock to ask questions concerning coverage when leasing a car. The agent carefully and thoroughly explained the procedure and what I needed to do to be covered during my car rental.

Plymouth Rock Auto Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Plymouth Rock Auto Insurance is an insurance provider that serves drivers in Massachusetts, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut and New Hampshire. Policyholders can report claims 24 hours a day, and Plymouth Rock Auto Insurance's sales center is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. until 7 p.m. EST.

• Licensed agents: The company's agents are licensed to work in Massachusetts, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut and New Hampshire to meet the concerns of local drivers.

• Savings pass: Policyholders in Massachusetts can receive discounts at several auto-related businesses, including those that provide oil changes, car rentals and repairs.

• Door-to-door valet claims: Plymouth Rock Auto Insurance will pick up damaged cars for homes, offices and other locations to have them repaired, even when policyholders do not have time to visit their mechanics.

• Mobile adjuster services: Plymouth Rock Auto Insurance has a Crashbusters van that can visit accident sites to quickly assess damages and issue checks for vehicle repairs.

• Online claims status: The company's website makes it easy for policyholders to check their claim statuses and details.

• Best for: Drivers who prefer local companies, drivers who want discounts and drivers who want extra services on car insurance policies.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky