Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
2.64/5

ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

Plymouth Rock Assurance has made a name for themselves by putting customers first. Plymouth Rock offers home, renters and auto insurance to clients in the northeastern United States. Plymouth Rock Assurance in an InsuraMatch partner. For quotes from Plymouth Rock Assurance and more, call InsuraMatch. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Plymouth Rock Auto Insurance Gallery (3)
View More View More

BOTTOM LINE

Many reviewers have been with Progressive for more than 10 years.

PROS

• Advanced quote discount
  • Get-home-safe service
  • On-the-spot appraisal after an accident
  • Club member discount
  • Door-to-door valet claim service

CONS

• Some customers experienced a delay in claims processing times
  • Serves a limited number of states

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

42 Plymouth Rock Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

Am a Plymouth Rock Customer for the past 12 or more years. Paid for "Accident forgiveness". When they renewed me in Sept. 2018, rates went up like 25%. Called to ask, they said "Oh, it's because we changed our underwriting protocol (or something like that). Good news, since you haven't had a re-underwrite in three years, you are eligible for a re-underwriting though." Now, I do not understand how they just jack customer rates based on a change in how they rate you. But even more perplexing is that when my Agent did the re-underwrite, the rates DID come down to more or less where they had been. So OK, let's just do this.

Now while this is going on, I had a small fender bender. Although I still maintain it wasn't my fault (he hit me, I was standing still!) it got written up as my fault. No big deal I thought, for the first time in 12 years I'll use the accident forgiveness that I PAY for. Except then the Agent calls. The accident forgiveness is on the old policy. The new underwriting isn't in force yet, so it's now going to be more or less the same because of the accident. I said WHAT?

I tried to call and explain to the Reps at Plymouth Rock. Even went to the Customer Service Rep supervisors. I explained that paying $1,000 a year more was not fair, and that shouldn't somehow my accident forgiveness from the existing policy carry to the "new" underwriting? I mean it's really quite customer unfriendly that, in order to NOT pay $1,000 more, I have to have the Policy re-written to begin with - why can't they just look at my 12 year claim free policy and apply the same rate method to it? She got it, and said she would certainly take it up and get back to me; I did this TWICE. No one EVER called back. So I got stuck paying an extra grand for my 2018-2019.

They screwed a 12 year customer without a care, and all I got was a lot of double speak from (very NICE) customer service reps about how underwriting changed. I don't CARE what you did internally. And why in the name of the Lord would the new underwriting method charge me almost $1,000 more as an existing customer than it does if it's written up like I was a new customer (rhetorical question, you do the math).

Bottom line is they are HAPPY to SCREW their long time customers and make it at best inconvenient for you to do anything about it. And if they would do this to me (and they DID), they WILL eventually do it to you, rest assured. Save yourself the grief - AVOID this SCAM house like they are the BLACK PLAGUE!! Don't say nobody warned you!

Original review: July 20, 2019

Went with PR because of price. Purchased a newer car, got rid of an older one, rate went up? And they changed the frequency of my payments? Telling me I need to download an app "Yubi" (which has 2 1/2 stars on google play) or I'll lose a discount that's not listed on my policy? I e-mailed about these issues. Reply said they'd contact me in 2-3 days. It's been 8. No one to answer the phone on weekends? Nowhere to print ins cards on the website. Have to request them by mail? VERY unhappy with the almost non-existent customer service.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 19, 2019

I am beyond disgusted with this company. I am not their insured but a victim of their insured's irresponsible driving. Their insured was put at fault on the police report and she admitted she should not have jumped in front of me yet they did not accept liability. 2 ** months waiting for that. Calling them is painful. Emailing is painful. I cannot imagine what it's like going in person. I cannot imagine being insured by them. Their insured never called to report anything and did not answer the phone for my rep or hers to investigate. It took her 2 months to send a pic of her vehicle. Gerri ** was awful. She is at work but either doesn’t answer or has someone give you a pathetic excuse as to why she cannot talk.

All the reps there are just as awful. Incompetent and sad. Why is this even an insurance company?! I called today after 2 weeks of no update only to find out (by Joseph the “manager” btw) that Gerri was out and that they will not accept liability. You’d think a simple call or email would be given to you since the rep was away. But no. They couldn’t even do that. Idk who was worse, Maya the insured or the entire company. PLEASE DO NOT WASTE ANY ANY ANY TIME OR ENERGY WITH PLYMOUTH ROCK. You’d have better luck convincing an atheist God is real than working with these people. I still cannot believe how lousy they are at answering a damn phone.

Original review: April 24, 2019

These people are legalized gangsters. They lie, delay irresponsibly any attempt to start the process. They told Enterprise Car Rental they would pay for rental on daily basis so I could go to work, then now say they never said it. They sent an appraiser, Property Damage Appraiser, who examined the car their insured rear ended at a red light, after telling police she was reaching for her cell phone, and was cited for that, who submitted the report. Plymouth Rock is now saying this appraisal isn’t valid because the car driven by their insured was out of state driver. To add insult to injury, they say they are now investigating and it could take months. How can they get away with this. Where can you go for satisfaction?? Who can you go to file a complaint?? If you look up this company, they have many bad reviews, why are they allowed to be in business??? These folks are SCUM!!!!

Original review: April 17, 2019

Lauren who is in charge of my claim regarding the incident happened in New Jersey never picks up her phone call. Responses are heavily delayed. She claims that the claims are under review by her supervisor over almost a month. Ridiculous and will go back to Progressive or Geico after my claims. Plymouth DO NOT ROCK!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Plymouth Rock Auto Insurance?

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I had my insurance premium for 2 autos automatically deducted from my payroll for over 20 years. I moved and changed jobs and contacted the company to give them my new address. It was 2 months before I got the new bill which was $2739.00 for the year for two cars over 10 YEARS OLD!!!! They wanted a $1,950 downpayment immediately. Mind you, I have a perfect driving record. So, I cancelled and got Geico instead for less than $1200 per year AND with the same coverage levels. I just received a bill from Plymouth Rock for $653.00 for the two months (April and May) that I allegedly had coverage with them. This number is not pro-rated per those two months but is instead some arbitrary number they made up. And It's $200 over the amount of what two months coverage would be. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!!! THEY'RE ROBBERS. I am getting nowhere with their customer service.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

Had a good price on insurance to start, then after a few months they said I didn’t pay my insurance which I had proof of and had my bank fax in. But they keep saying they never got it, so they continue to try to charge me every month, so I get late fees from my bank because I don’t keep money in it because they keep taking it out again. I’ve talked to servers customer service representatives, all are nice with a greeting and as soon as I say my problem they get an attitude right away and say “Since they haven’t got the money I will keep being charged” but deny they got the proof my bank faxed to them. I get nowhere with them, they no longer respond to my emails regarding this and are terrible to talk to on the phone. I would never get insurance through them again and never would have knowing this.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

After 6 years with Plymouth Rock I change vehicles and my rate almost doubled. Went from a Cadillac to a Toyota. When I questioned the increase my agent checked with them and provided the following explanation. They based my rate on the vehicle price when it was "New" even though it is 5 years old. My Cadillac when it was "New" was 18k more than the Toyota, so this makes no sense. I was told that was the best they could do. Found a new insurance company right away and when comparing the policies I noticed that Plymouth Rock no longer gave me the SDIP credit which amounted to about $350 discount per year. After 20+ years with no accidents or violations, all of a sudden I don't qualify for any type of safe driver discount with them. But I did notice that since I am now retired, they list me as a "mature" driver. No discount for that though.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

This company doesn’t put the client first. They will collect the premiums but not pay claims when you need them. It took the company 48 hours to respond to my first claim. It’s been over 2 weeks and no settlement in place.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

Last night, I was stuck on the side of the road with a flat tire. I called the roadside assistance number I had been given. The operator answered promptly. The wait was less than 30 seconds. The operator started asking for my information, to look me up in the system. The operator tried my name, my phone number, and MY ACTUAL POLICY NUMBER, and could not find me in the system.

I had the operator repeat my policy number back to me twice, to ensure that it had been received correctly. Their alternate options were basically the same as me figuring it out on my own, so I just figured it out on my own. I'm not sure why I have roadside assistance on my policy with Plymouth Rock if I'm going to be left to figure it out on my own like this. Also, I verified this morning that the number I called was the correct number by calling the home office and checking with them. It was correct.

Plymouth Rock Auto Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Plymouth Rock Auto Insurance is an insurance provider that serves drivers in Massachusetts, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut and New Hampshire. Policyholders can report claims 24 hours a day, and Plymouth Rock Auto Insurance's sales center is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. until 7 p.m. EST.

• Licensed agents: The company's agents are licensed to work in Massachusetts, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut and New Hampshire to meet the concerns of local drivers.

• Savings pass: Policyholders in Massachusetts can receive discounts at several auto-related businesses, including those that provide oil changes, car rentals and repairs.

• Door-to-door valet claims: Plymouth Rock Auto Insurance will pick up damaged cars for homes, offices and other locations to have them repaired, even when policyholders do not have time to visit their mechanics.

• Mobile adjuster services: Plymouth Rock Auto Insurance has a Crashbusters van that can visit accident sites to quickly assess damages and issue checks for vehicle repairs.

• Online claims status: The company's website makes it easy for policyholders to check their claim statuses and details.

• Best for: Drivers who prefer local companies, drivers who want discounts and drivers who want extra services on car insurance policies.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky