The General Auto Insurance

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Our vehicle and neighbors vehicle was hit while parked in front of our home by their client! They are refusing to paying and waiting us to submit to our personal car insurance!! They have extremely rude customer service and they have gone as far as lie to my neighbor stating we submitted our car insurance info in order for him to submit his information. I hope nobody ever gets into a serious accident with someone who has their coverage!!!

Rates with GEICO are outrageous here in GA. More money for less coverage. Shopped around though and ALL other insurers were even worse. I reckon it's due to driver "quality" here and the inclination to NOT have insurance. Out of curiosity, I filled out The General quote form. After finishing, I was immediately redirected to a State Farm website where I was, apparently, supposed to go through that whole process again. BS!

I am trying to get a rental car because their customer rear ended me. I have been on the phone three times and each time I have been on hold for over an hour and a half. This time it is over 1 hour and 50 minutes so far. Some of the sorriest customer service I have ever seen. First time the person was pleasant and I thought had helped me by getting things set up, wrong. The next person told me the reference number did not exist nor the customer's policy number. Just SORRY, SORRY, SORRY COMPANY!

I had a car wreck almost 2 weeks ago and I reported this wreck which was not my fault. I called the General while at the hospital. I also asked for rental insurance when I took out the policy. Now I was told to rent a car and they would reimburse me for it. And they didn't! And they have already taken my car because it was totaled. And was told I would receive a package overnight. Which has been almost 5 days now. And I've called daily to get updates and was told by the claim person that FedEx didn't run on the weekends but they do run on Saturdays. Talk to the same lady today. And was told it should come today well still NOTHING!!! THIS INSURANCE COMPANY IS A JOKE. They take your car and you are lefted sitting without anything. Don't do their customer right. YALL SUCK.

Our truck was parked in front of our house and when I was coming out the house to go to work I noticed a car in the back of our truck, the car had ran into to back of our truck. I immediately call the police and then I called The General which is our insurance provider. I was on my way to work when this happened so I missed the morning shift of my job and the general claims adjuster has not mention about a rental car nor mention about my missing pay.

So the claims adjuster came out last Thursday to look at the truck and we didn't hear anything back from him so I called on Tuesday to get the status and they said that I had a amount and today we received the check which had my name on it and capital one name on it too, so when I tried to cash the check I couldn't because they called The General and they said that I have to send the check to capital one to sign the check. I talk to someone at The General and told them that Capital One is not my lien holder and then he put me on hold and then came back on the phone and said that it was an mistake and that I have to go to the body shop that's fixing our truck and have them to fax a direction to pay form. This company is a joke.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Permanent General Auto Insurance (PGAC)?

I had the general insurance for a year. The first year I had no issues. By the end of the first year all of a sudden my rates increased from 197.00 to 264.00. I sent an email asking about the change and they replied back saying the rates in my area increased. I gave them the benefit of doubt understanding that could be possible. Well 2 months later and my rates increased yet again. This time to 312.00 a month. Now I am upset and wanting answers because now my insurance is more than my car payment and the rates keep changing without notification other than the amount being debited from my banking account. So I give them a call, same damn excuse, rates changed. I just canceled because it's just ridiculous to believe that rates would change that much and to be that high.

One month ago my wife's 2015 Cadillac was totaled by a General policy holder's truck after he fell asleep at the wheel which he didn't deny and was cited for. A Claims Supervisor Mr. ** stated that it would likely take a month to finish the investigation. Today he stated that he had no idea when it would finish. We asked if it would be 60 days... 90 days? His reply was "POSSIBLY"! My insurance co. is now going to pay out and go after the General for the car and my wife's injuries. No investigation is needed as he rear ended her car at 65mph. The Police Report says it all! This is a poorly performing company.

I obtained coverage with the General while in the process of purchasing my new vehicle. My original quote changed tremendously when I went to pay and check out, but as my phone was dying & I needed to get my daughter from school, I proceeded. Once home, I continue to search online for a much more affordable insurance, of which I found. Over $150 less for the down payment, and over $70 less every month. I IMMEDIATELY called The General to ask how to cancel. Spoke with a very nice gentleman who said if I can email him a picture of a letter requesting to cancel, he will upload it right away to have it processed, email back stating he received my email, and have my money refunded. I believe what he told me would happen, and obtained coverage from the new company.

Never received an email back, so I called again. Different gal, told me the same thing. Second time I emailed over the same letter requesting cancellation. This time I advised I've now purchased new insurance, and need that money back ASAP - as I'd previously been told. I sent the email while still on the phone with her, and she stated she would pass it along to her manager to have processed ASAP. Wonderful. Checked the status of the policy later Friday, no change. Saturday, no change. Monday, pending. Called more than once Monday & was told the cancellation letter was with Underwriting, and once they "get to it", my policy will be cancelled. However, this could take 3 to 5 business days, with 3 to 5 more business days added on top of that to receive my money back.

I've been in tears about this for 2 days now. I assumed I would have my $300+ back at the end of the weekend, possibly Monday. But now on Tuesday, the policy has been processed and is VALID. WHAT?!? WHY!?? I've never in my life heard of it taking weeks to cancel an auto policy, and then have no regard for the fact I need it expedited to receive my money back. I have yet to meet someone that actually would take the time and try to push it through, and maybe help me out themselves. I just keep being told it's with underwriting, and to wait. Not a way to do business, nor treat people. SO glad I went with a different auto insurance right away. I couldn't imagine the headache if you actually had to file a claim, or needed help. They could care less about people.

I am very dissatisfied with The General car insurance. I only had insurance with them for 5 days. When I canceled they kept all of my a hundred and $64 for five days and didn't return anything. Said I was at a zero balance. I think it's unfair. I canceled because they don't even offer roadside assistance their deductibles are sky-high. Their customer service is really bad. Very dissatisfied overall but not recommend to anyone to get The General. They're very high on their quotes and they are not willing to return your first month insurance when you only used 5 days out of your whole 30 days in a month. Very dissatisfied... I would read it as 0 if I could.

I have repeatedly sent documentation supporting my very low annual mileage. The General refuses to acknowledge it and adjust the policy accordingly. The scandalous scum buckets increase it rather than lowering it. I have sent copies of repair receipts bearing the odometer reading. I have taken pictures of the odometer as well. The con artists also refuse to correct driver - vehicle assignment claiming that their computer system does that. Bottom lines is that The General creates whatever they want on your policy and refuse to correct it.

I bought my policy on 2/6/2017 through an independent agent who did not mention the 10% cancellation fee. In addition failed to inform me of rental during a collision. However, the worst was I was given a number to contact the general directly. 99% of the agents were either rude or lack valuable information. I called 15 times 1 hour and was never told of this cancellation fee. Another eye-opening situation is the independent agent, who told me both my credit cards declined and a checking account should be used.

Low cost? Best in customer service? These people are a pack of thieves. Flood of 2016 in south Louisiana and they jacked their rates to unbelievable amounts. Lawyers and judges all in bed together down here. My driving record is spotless not to mentioned I'm a professional driver. I log more miles in a month than the average driver does in a year. Because my job required me to work out of a satellite yard in Oklahoma for 30 days at a time then 2 weeks home they told me in a rude tone seek insurance elsewhere. Really? ** General. But here's the good news, I went with State Farm for half the monthly payment and general had to refund me $150.00!!! Again, ** general. Seek insurance elsewhere folks.

I went to pay my policy on the 20th of January 2017. The automated teller tells me my balance was $336 and some change. So I paid $336. Just to come to find out my family member paid $100 on the 16th of January and the money was processed on the 18th of January. So the balance should have said $236 and some change. I called them back reporting the mistake that was made on the same day I made the payment (01/20/2017). The customer service rep goes on to tell me that she sees the mistake and they will refund me my $100 back.

I ask how were they gonna do that. She said (Brittany **) it would be applied to the last card that was used, but it will take 3-5 business days. I asked to speak to her supervisor because of the inconvenience. She said there is nothing they can do because accounting handles all that. I said how sure are you that the money would be refunded back to the right card? Given the fact the previous card was a prepaid gift card that no one had possession of anymore. I was very adamant about it coming back to me.

She said there is no guarantee but that's usually how the process works and there's nothing a supervisor could do different. Which there was because I called back one week later and spoke with Jose ** and he was seeing about getting me a check sent out but accounting had already applied the funds to the card I specifically ask that they NOT send it to. So now I'm out of $100 that I would have never paid if the machine didn't tell me I had to and had the 1st customer service rep got me to a supervisor in the first place.

They could have just sent me out a check if there was no guarantee that the money would be applied back to the right card. No one wants to respond back or give me a $100 credit for the next month. Even the supervisor boss will Not return my calls and today is February 3, 2017. Her name is Courtney ** ext **. They are scam artist and continue to rip people off. I do NOT advise using their automated services. They are not up to date and they cost you more money.

A driver hit my car that had the general insurance. The response took 3 weeks and they say that it's under investigation to see if the driver of the car was listed as a family driver of the car. They have a year to either pay or deny the claim. This is why they are so cheap. They try to not pay the claim with every means necessary and hope that you won't follow up and just go away.

I made the mistake of giving my personal information on their website in order to obtain a price on full coverage insurance for my vehicle. I was quoted $2400.00 per year for 1 company. I was currently paying $1070.00 per year. Since it was no deal and no other offers were given, I just received a "sorry we couldn't help" email. Then for the next 6 months my cell phone has been bombarded with insurance quotes for life insurance, "giveaways" and a host of other topics I never signed on for. My mail at home was riddled with offers for life insurance and other commodities as well as multitudes of cell calls during working hours for similar business offers. I can't imagine how many times my information has been bought and sold but I can't seem to get out of it. The "Do Not Call List" is a joke. I have been on it for 8 years and it doesn't stop these daytime calls. NEVER trust your personal information to this business!

I would prefer to not even give them 1 star. I have been insured with the General for almost a year. And this being just "myself" on the policy. I was helping my niece out with a car for graduation and I went online and did a quote over six months ago. This car was probably a $500 car if that!!! It was NOT in either one's name at the time, as we are simply doing a quote! I went online to pay my bill 2 days ago and I see an extraordinary amount of money I owed... So I went onto the via chat and spoke with a gentleman named Clint. He had advised that my niece was added to my policy. I asked, how could that be, I never added her to my policy, I simply went on the website to get a quote. He advised to get back on to my policy online and remove her.

So I go and TRY to do this and it doesn't work. I open up chat again and receive the same guy, Clint. He then told me that I had to pay the full balance on the account before she could be removed off of my policy. I asked him, well why would I have to pay the full balance when I never even had her under my policy? I'm not going to pay the full balance because it's not correct. He said that is what I had to do because I never replied back to them about NOT adding her! I was just getting a quote!!! I didn't hit confirm, I didn't get a confirmation number??? WTF, so I asked him to cancel my insurance if that's the case. He said I don't have to cancel it, it's already canceled!!! Wow talk about customer service and trying to keep your clients!!! Why would I pay for someone else on my policy, when I never gave them the consent to add this person to my policy!!!

I find this illegal and corrupt! I didn't sign, nor get any information about adding her to my policy! So if this is the case, then I guess, I will never ever, do a quote online again! Call me out if I'm wrong, but how could I be financially responsible for doing a QUOTE!!! Remind you, I never added her to my policy!!! I'm pretty smart, or I thought I was when it comes to computers!!! I'm 37 years old and I've been working since I was 17! I am a graduate with some college education, I'm not an idiot!!! So please if I'm wrong, explain how I could be financially responsible for doing a quote?

I canceled my policy as soon (2 days later) I received it by mail, because they completely changed it. I was paying too much for just a Liability thinking it was full coverage. They charged me 135.00 cancellation fee. This is the worst insurance company ever. Stay away from them.

First off, a payment due date is the day it is due, not the day you are canceled for nonpayment, this is ridiculous!! And second, my due date is today, I made a payment yesterday and when I logged in this morning, it states that I was cancelled due to nonpayment, I even have the confirmation email, this company is the worst and I will be shopping for other insurance.

I got in a tc in 2014 and it was completely not my fault. Got a new car and took off my old one on my insurance. My rate went down I'm assuming due to it being a safer car, then my renewal came up and my rate went way up almost twice the amount. I then contacted them and they told me I was marked as a at fault accident then I told them it wasn't my fault and I had the report. They told me to send it in. It took me awhile to get it and I couldn't scan it so I had to find a place to fax it.

It took well over two weeks for them to even get back to me so I called and immediately she said my claim was being processed and my policy rewritten and after that I checked my policy and it showed it was in underwriting which it didn't even hours before. It took them a couple of days then I got only $142 out of over 600 I was owed nor did I see the money for the report or fax I paid for so I contacted them again and they sent me a billing history that was written intentionally to confuse, that doesn't cover the whole time frame and has a bunch of ambiguous fees and its been over two weeks and many contacts later and I've gotten nothing but silence.

Ever since I transferred my insurance with The General from old car to new car I've had nothing but problems. My NYS registration has been suspended numerous times due to The General not doing their job right by not labeling transactions properly. When I switched coverage to new vehicle they canceled my insurance and restarted a new policy on new car. They should've transferred coverage but because they didn't it showed in the DMV system as me having a cancellation. It literally took 3 months to get that fixed, during which time I got pulled over, ticketed for driving on suspended registration, and my car got impounded.

Fast forward to today January 3, 2017. I once again have a suspension notice due to cancellation of insurance. I noticed in November my insurance was canceled even though I paid $300 on my policy which would almost pay it off and not have to worry about paying it for a few months. I called The General where it took the rep 20 mins to finally see I electronically sent a check. Rep says it was never processed and I said, "That is not my responsibility." He finally states I'm all set and covered.

Now today I have the same problem from the same payment issue. They told me they will get back to me in 24 hrs. They called me about an hour later asking if I have anything showing I paid, so I sent them the email confirmation. They said that doesn't prove that my bank paid it out. Hmmm, let's see here, I don't have any bounced checks so either someone took the money or they forgot to cash the check. It's not my responsibility to cash the check for them too. Don't use this insurance, or you'll be sure to have problems.

First issue is that they will not total out my car which is valued less than 7000 and repairs was over 6200. Second issue is I received notice yesterday that my monthly premium went from 167 to 553 based on the accident. This is not the deductible. This is now my monthly payment which is insane.

This company is the absolute worst. They say they're cheap. I never tried them and glad I didn't. I guess you get what you pay for. On 10/20 I was involved in a accident for the first time. They kept giving me the runarounds about waiting on the report them we will investigate and call you back. I never received a report myself so I went to police station and got a crash report # when I called today they advised me they ruled it wasn't their driver's fault and when I asked how is that when you haven't investigated or came to look at the car like you said. Conveniently I was asked to hold and hung up on. Company should not be in business. I don't know why I have to put a star.

I will never use The General again! Due to an error on their part my policy was cancelled. I called them to get it figured out and all they could say was "We cannot reinstate your policy. You will have to start all over with us." I said, "Oh so this way you get more money out of me" and the lady said yes that's correct. I live in Kansas and once you have no insurance they suspend your registration and plates. So, thanks to The General I now have to pay for new insurance and must pay to get my plates and registration reinstated!! They are costing me a lot of money for their mistake!! Please do not ever use them!!

I would not refer anyone to Direct General Auto Insurance. I was a long time customer but when my insurance cancelled in error and I tried to reinstate it was not a problem. However, I was able to find another company who gave me a better rate. So I had insurance for 2 days and cancel to go with the better rate pay over $300 as a down payment. Now they are being crooks and refunding only 150 for 2 days. I called and no one can explain to me where my money went. It took 2 months to get a refund and I ask for a breakdown and still have not received a billing breakdown.

WHEN I SAY CROOKS I MEAN CROOKS. I will continue to tell everyone and anyone how Direct General is not a good company to conduct business with or get insurance from. And can you believe I am still trying to speak to someone for the remainder of my money. I was told finance department don't speak to customers but the call center reps and their managers & supervisors have no clue how to explain or assist me. Next step which I don't wanna do may be getting an attorney. And think if they did a long time customer what you think they will do to a new customer. So don't waste your time. I hope I can help someone who is looking around.

I used to have The General Auto Insurance. I was at a small accident that I hit another car and the insurance doesn't want to pay his claim. So now I have to pay him out of my pocket then what is the insurance for? Please get a different insurance.

My son was in an accident with someone who was insured by the general. They pulled across a 4 lane intersection right in front of my son from a side road. The general has fought us tooth and nail refusing to pay the claim. My son's car was totaled and it's been over a month of phone calls and they have not compensated him for his loss of vehicle or for a rental car. After a month they finally said they would not pay the claim because if he's even 1% liable they don't have to pay the claim. These people are dishonest and do not intend to ever pay claims. We have a police report and a signed witness stating that their client was entirely at fault.

I was involved in a single car accident on 09/30. They took forever to decide if my car was repairable. I finally got a call 10/28 that my car would be a total loss. Here it is now 11/05 and I have not received any kind of paper work to close my claim. My car is financed so I keep getting calls from my finance CO. regarding the time frame to have my loan paid. Late fee after late fee I'm occurring. Do not get insurance with this shady company!! You'll wait forever to see anything.

I have State Farm insurance and a lady that just had open heart surgery rear ended me. I have had the most horrible time with the representative. She has an attitude and always saying it is none of her concern. I had problems with one of my checks trying to go to Bank of America to cash it to get my car fixed. The check was scanned as fraud and I asked her to reissue another check and she asked why I was cashing the check anyway and that there was nothing she could do. Eventually I did get another check and the bank had to type it in. I did speak to a corporate woman and she was very nice.

I work with the public and if I had her attitude I would have been out the door. I'm trying to figure out how in the world she still employed. It has now came to the time for my payout and she said they can not give me no more than $300. And that is including my $130 medical bill that has not been paid. She said their company does not pay the insurance company. I have to pay them myself with the $300, so therefore I am getting a total of $170 for pain and suffering. And she didn't say anything about my lost wages for being out 1 day of work.

I am so thankful for State Farm. I never thought I would love them so much after having a hassle with this insurance company. That does not include any of my lost wages. She said because there was minimal damage to my car there is nothing else she could do. That lady hit the hell out of my car and they replace the bumper on my car. I was still hurt and still hurt sometimes and I bit my lip when she hit me.

Customer service sucks. The rep messed up on my policy which in turn got it canceled which then led to me receiving lapse in coverage and now forced to pay a 500$ fee to the dmv for non coverage. Spoke to multiple people to try and get this resolved with no luck. Do not waste your money here. They are crooks.

October 9th I was rear ended, my passenger was injured. I was told by a rep of The General that they would handle the claim. As of October 14th I got a letter from The General denying my claim. Guessing I rear ended myself. Don't understand what the ** I'm paying insurance for.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Permanent General Auto Insurance is a licensed insurance agency that offers insurance in many states. They have been in business for over 50 years and have been recognized by A.M. Best for their financial stability.

• Accepts drivers regardless of history: The General offers insurance for most drivers, even if they don't have a perfect driving record or have let their insurance lapse.
  • Electronic payments: They make it easy to pay monthly bills online via their electronic platform.
  • Low down payments: They keep their down payments low and affordable so that drivers can sign up for insurance, even if they don't have a lot of money upfront.
  • Continuing to expand: The General is continuing to expand their coverage and has taken on new states such as West Virginia and Nebraska.
  • Great customer service: The General has excellent customer service that makes it easy for drivers to contact a representative and settle claims.
  • Best for Drivers with a poor driving history and drivers who want a low down payment.

Compare Auto Insurance

The General Auto Insurance Company Profile

Permanent General Auto Insurance (PGAC)