The General Auto Insurance

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

On the 21st I could not pay my bill because the account was locked. The 22nd I called and paid my bill. The lady said I needed information. I sent the information in on the 22nd. She took my payment on the 22nd. Three days later my policy was canceled. That I didn't know for 16 days that I had no insurance. I called four days ago. Three people stated that I had no insurance. Even the general app said I had no insurance. The gentleman today said they corrected it. Four days later and they're still charging me for the 16 days that I did not have insurance. So they did a cover up just so they would get paid.

Do not trust The General. They just want your money and don't care about your business. The gentleman on the phone said he didn't understand my question because they fix the situation 16 days after my insurance has been expired. He said, "So you'd rather get the money back then fix your insurance." I said, "You're making me pay for insurance that I have not had." That I said, "If I would've got pulled over or couldn't get onto work because I work on a military base then that would been my fault or your fault." He said, "Well you would've had to call us to get it corrected." I said, "So you guys did not know I had no insurance for 16 days." I said, "I did not get a phone call stating that the information I sent was not good enough. You just took my payment and then canceled my insurance." He said, "Ma'am we fix that but you fixed it."

16 days after I had no insurance and when I had to call and question it I had to screenshot a picture of the app stating I have no insurance and emails from three different employees that work there. That I had no insurance for 16 days. Now it's a cover-up. I hope they get their money and run hell and their business goes to the **.

I had purchased the insurance and literally a half hour later was in a fender bender. The General wouldn't cover it claiming my policy wasn't in effect yet even though I paid via debit card and they took the funds immediately and sent me a confirmation I had insurance. So I paid out of pocket for the accident. Then the license branch sends me a letter about needing proof of insurance or my license would be suspended. So I ask The General to send this proof and they do. Now if you denied my claim saying I don't have coverage at the time of accident how can you turn around and tell the license branch I did???

I was rear ended by a customer of the General Ins Co. My car was totaled and they wasted no time getting my car and the title but 1 month later I still have Not received my settlement check. The General paid me for 8 days of a rental car. The adjustor stated they only have to provide a rental up to the time I accept their settlement offer. So I have had no vehicle, no check to get another vehicle for A month now and no rental car!!! So if you want to purchase poor quality ins and really screw the person you hit if you Cause an accident then purchase the general ins. Next time I will go through my amazing ins co and then let them deal with that crappy ins co. I'm planning on filing a personal injury claim as I was injured in the accident but I may need to retain a lawyer for that!!!

My mom's car was hit and they sent an adjuster out who told her they would give her one hundred dollars to fix her bumper. I pay over 7000 a year for 3 cars and she only got 100 to fix a bumper that will eventually fall off. I am cancelling this account and found another company half the cost for premium coverage. This company steals DON'T GET THE GENERAL. THEY WILL RIP YOU OFF!!!!

My 17 year old daughter purchased a car. I went with General Insurance because at the time they offered me the cheapest rate. Three months into having the policy I added comp and collision to my vehicle. I was told to email pictures of the vehicle to prove no existing damage. I did that. Later that day my vehicle was in an accident. Now the general is investigating me. This happened on 4/19/17. As of today 5/6/17 they are still investigating me, questioning the pictures I emailed them, wanting receipts from merchandise that I added to my car, wanting to know why I had a college parking decal in my window when the picture was taken but not when the adjuster came out to look at my car.

I have answered all of their question, turned in all the information that they asked me to turn in but still I am out of my car. I can't drive it because of the damage to the front lights and the general is my insurance company. My daughter attends college and had to drive my car a few times when her car was being serviced. She used her college parking decal on my car to keep from getting a ticket in my car while parked on campus. When she got her car back she removed her decal. Is that a crime?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Permanent General Auto Insurance (PGAC)?

I signed up for auto insurance. When my next payment was due they sent me a cancellation notice instead of a statement. This went on for about 5 months. I kept emailing them and received no response. After the January payment the cancellation notice was increased by 25 dollars, with no explanation. When I tried to call I received a message to call during business hours. No phone number or office hour timeline was provided. I sent them an email advising, They were canceled due to Billing practices. I went with another company. I responded to numerous email requests to reinstate my policy, my response advised I was not a customer any longer. They sent me a bill for 38 dollars with a letter threatening to report me to credit reporting agencies.

I called their customer service number again and was advised the 25 dollar increase was a reinstatement fee because they processed a payment 2 days after I paid it. I Was advised I need to forward an email when I canceled them. When you reply to their emails you always get an error message stating to log in. When I discussed this with the customer service representative, she requested another email to prove I canceled. After some searching I forwarded an email confirming I had canceled them and advised I will not be paying anything unless they do damage my credit, then I will spend thousands, all the way to Federal Court if necessary. I warned them numerous times not to send cancellation notices. When I do business, you send me a statement and I pay it. This practice of sending cancellation statements every month is unprofessional and insulting. I would not recommend any company with that practice.

I quoted car insurance for my 21 year old son. He has to have full coverage since he finances 800 monthly. They say because he is 21, because of where he lives. How can a 21 year old afford 800 a month car insurance.

Every month I get my bill it says it's due on the 8th of the month. I paid it on the 8th. I just talked to them because they added a $15 late fee. Apparently it's due no later than 1:00am on the 8th. But the bill doesn't say that. I'm a Senior Citizen and on a limited income. They refused to take the $15 off because they said they done it once before. It makes me wonder how many other people have had to pay late fees because they don't put the actual date on their bills.

To me this is just a way to rip people off. All my other bills whatever they say the due date is I have til midnight on the due date that it says. This is confusing especially to older people who have a limited income and have to pay their bills after their small monthly income and have to do it on the date they say it's due. The supervisor talked to me in a rude voice even. Will be looking for a more trustworthy Insurance company. If a bill says it's due on a certain date that's the date it should be. Unless it says otherwise which the general don't. Thought this was supposed to be a reputable company. It's not.

I have never seen a company pass the buck as much as The General. They never explained the process of how this is done. They have a third party settlement company that they use- IAAI and their employees are contractors. It has been a nightmare because I keep getting referred back and forth between the two. I sent my notarized paperwork via USPS overnight and they received this on 04/12/17 and now IAAI has issues with the documentation. Meanwhile I am without a vehicle in Phoenix, AZ. It's hot and in the 90's now. Our public transportation is also terrible and only comes to my area once an hour.

Our vehicle and neighbors vehicle was hit while parked in front of our home by their client! They are refusing to paying and waiting us to submit to our personal car insurance!! They have extremely rude customer service and they have gone as far as lie to my neighbor stating we submitted our car insurance info in order for him to submit his information. I hope nobody ever gets into a serious accident with someone who has their coverage!!!

Rates with GEICO are outrageous here in GA. More money for less coverage. Shopped around though and ALL other insurers were even worse. I reckon it's due to driver "quality" here and the inclination to NOT have insurance. Out of curiosity, I filled out The General quote form. After finishing, I was immediately redirected to a State Farm website where I was, apparently, supposed to go through that whole process again. BS!

I am trying to get a rental car because their customer rear ended me. I have been on the phone three times and each time I have been on hold for over an hour and a half. This time it is over 1 hour and 50 minutes so far. Some of the sorriest customer service I have ever seen. First time the person was pleasant and I thought had helped me by getting things set up, wrong. The next person told me the reference number did not exist nor the customer's policy number. Just SORRY, SORRY, SORRY COMPANY!

I had a car wreck almost 2 weeks ago and I reported this wreck which was not my fault. I called the General while at the hospital. I also asked for rental insurance when I took out the policy. Now I was told to rent a car and they would reimburse me for it. And they didn't! And they have already taken my car because it was totaled. And was told I would receive a package overnight. Which has been almost 5 days now. And I've called daily to get updates and was told by the claim person that FedEx didn't run on the weekends but they do run on Saturdays. Talk to the same lady today. And was told it should come today well still NOTHING!!! THIS INSURANCE COMPANY IS A JOKE. They take your car and you are lefted sitting without anything. Don't do their customer right. YALL SUCK.

Our truck was parked in front of our house and when I was coming out the house to go to work I noticed a car in the back of our truck, the car had ran into to back of our truck. I immediately call the police and then I called The General which is our insurance provider. I was on my way to work when this happened so I missed the morning shift of my job and the general claims adjuster has not mention about a rental car nor mention about my missing pay.

So the claims adjuster came out last Thursday to look at the truck and we didn't hear anything back from him so I called on Tuesday to get the status and they said that I had a amount and today we received the check which had my name on it and capital one name on it too, so when I tried to cash the check I couldn't because they called The General and they said that I have to send the check to capital one to sign the check. I talk to someone at The General and told them that Capital One is not my lien holder and then he put me on hold and then came back on the phone and said that it was an mistake and that I have to go to the body shop that's fixing our truck and have them to fax a direction to pay form. This company is a joke.

I had the general insurance for a year. The first year I had no issues. By the end of the first year all of a sudden my rates increased from 197.00 to 264.00. I sent an email asking about the change and they replied back saying the rates in my area increased. I gave them the benefit of doubt understanding that could be possible. Well 2 months later and my rates increased yet again. This time to 312.00 a month. Now I am upset and wanting answers because now my insurance is more than my car payment and the rates keep changing without notification other than the amount being debited from my banking account. So I give them a call, same damn excuse, rates changed. I just canceled because it's just ridiculous to believe that rates would change that much and to be that high.

One month ago my wife's 2015 Cadillac was totaled by a General policy holder's truck after he fell asleep at the wheel which he didn't deny and was cited for. A Claims Supervisor Mr. ** stated that it would likely take a month to finish the investigation. Today he stated that he had no idea when it would finish. We asked if it would be 60 days... 90 days? His reply was "POSSIBLY"! My insurance co. is now going to pay out and go after the General for the car and my wife's injuries. No investigation is needed as he rear ended her car at 65mph. The Police Report says it all! This is a poorly performing company.

I obtained coverage with the General while in the process of purchasing my new vehicle. My original quote changed tremendously when I went to pay and check out, but as my phone was dying & I needed to get my daughter from school, I proceeded. Once home, I continue to search online for a much more affordable insurance, of which I found. Over $150 less for the down payment, and over $70 less every month. I IMMEDIATELY called The General to ask how to cancel. Spoke with a very nice gentleman who said if I can email him a picture of a letter requesting to cancel, he will upload it right away to have it processed, email back stating he received my email, and have my money refunded. I believe what he told me would happen, and obtained coverage from the new company.

Never received an email back, so I called again. Different gal, told me the same thing. Second time I emailed over the same letter requesting cancellation. This time I advised I've now purchased new insurance, and need that money back ASAP - as I'd previously been told. I sent the email while still on the phone with her, and she stated she would pass it along to her manager to have processed ASAP. Wonderful. Checked the status of the policy later Friday, no change. Saturday, no change. Monday, pending. Called more than once Monday & was told the cancellation letter was with Underwriting, and once they "get to it", my policy will be cancelled. However, this could take 3 to 5 business days, with 3 to 5 more business days added on top of that to receive my money back.

I've been in tears about this for 2 days now. I assumed I would have my $300+ back at the end of the weekend, possibly Monday. But now on Tuesday, the policy has been processed and is VALID. WHAT?!? WHY!?? I've never in my life heard of it taking weeks to cancel an auto policy, and then have no regard for the fact I need it expedited to receive my money back. I have yet to meet someone that actually would take the time and try to push it through, and maybe help me out themselves. I just keep being told it's with underwriting, and to wait. Not a way to do business, nor treat people. SO glad I went with a different auto insurance right away. I couldn't imagine the headache if you actually had to file a claim, or needed help. They could care less about people.

I am very dissatisfied with The General car insurance. I only had insurance with them for 5 days. When I canceled they kept all of my a hundred and $64 for five days and didn't return anything. Said I was at a zero balance. I think it's unfair. I canceled because they don't even offer roadside assistance their deductibles are sky-high. Their customer service is really bad. Very dissatisfied overall but not recommend to anyone to get The General. They're very high on their quotes and they are not willing to return your first month insurance when you only used 5 days out of your whole 30 days in a month. Very dissatisfied... I would read it as 0 if I could.

I have repeatedly sent documentation supporting my very low annual mileage. The General refuses to acknowledge it and adjust the policy accordingly. The scandalous scum buckets increase it rather than lowering it. I have sent copies of repair receipts bearing the odometer reading. I have taken pictures of the odometer as well. The con artists also refuse to correct driver - vehicle assignment claiming that their computer system does that. Bottom lines is that The General creates whatever they want on your policy and refuse to correct it.

I bought my policy on 2/6/2017 through an independent agent who did not mention the 10% cancellation fee. In addition failed to inform me of rental during a collision. However, the worst was I was given a number to contact the general directly. 99% of the agents were either rude or lack valuable information. I called 15 times 1 hour and was never told of this cancellation fee. Another eye-opening situation is the independent agent, who told me both my credit cards declined and a checking account should be used.

Low cost? Best in customer service? These people are a pack of thieves. Flood of 2016 in south Louisiana and they jacked their rates to unbelievable amounts. Lawyers and judges all in bed together down here. My driving record is spotless not to mentioned I'm a professional driver. I log more miles in a month than the average driver does in a year. Because my job required me to work out of a satellite yard in Oklahoma for 30 days at a time then 2 weeks home they told me in a rude tone seek insurance elsewhere. Really? ** General. But here's the good news, I went with State Farm for half the monthly payment and general had to refund me $150.00!!! Again, ** general. Seek insurance elsewhere folks.

I went to pay my policy on the 20th of January 2017. The automated teller tells me my balance was $336 and some change. So I paid $336. Just to come to find out my family member paid $100 on the 16th of January and the money was processed on the 18th of January. So the balance should have said $236 and some change. I called them back reporting the mistake that was made on the same day I made the payment (01/20/2017). The customer service rep goes on to tell me that she sees the mistake and they will refund me my $100 back.

I ask how were they gonna do that. She said (Brittany **) it would be applied to the last card that was used, but it will take 3-5 business days. I asked to speak to her supervisor because of the inconvenience. She said there is nothing they can do because accounting handles all that. I said how sure are you that the money would be refunded back to the right card? Given the fact the previous card was a prepaid gift card that no one had possession of anymore. I was very adamant about it coming back to me.

She said there is no guarantee but that's usually how the process works and there's nothing a supervisor could do different. Which there was because I called back one week later and spoke with Jose ** and he was seeing about getting me a check sent out but accounting had already applied the funds to the card I specifically ask that they NOT send it to. So now I'm out of $100 that I would have never paid if the machine didn't tell me I had to and had the 1st customer service rep got me to a supervisor in the first place.

They could have just sent me out a check if there was no guarantee that the money would be applied back to the right card. No one wants to respond back or give me a $100 credit for the next month. Even the supervisor boss will Not return my calls and today is February 3, 2017. Her name is Courtney ** ext **. They are scam artist and continue to rip people off. I do NOT advise using their automated services. They are not up to date and they cost you more money.

A driver hit my car that had the general insurance. The response took 3 weeks and they say that it's under investigation to see if the driver of the car was listed as a family driver of the car. They have a year to either pay or deny the claim. This is why they are so cheap. They try to not pay the claim with every means necessary and hope that you won't follow up and just go away.

I made the mistake of giving my personal information on their website in order to obtain a price on full coverage insurance for my vehicle. I was quoted $2400.00 per year for 1 company. I was currently paying $1070.00 per year. Since it was no deal and no other offers were given, I just received a "sorry we couldn't help" email. Then for the next 6 months my cell phone has been bombarded with insurance quotes for life insurance, "giveaways" and a host of other topics I never signed on for. My mail at home was riddled with offers for life insurance and other commodities as well as multitudes of cell calls during working hours for similar business offers. I can't imagine how many times my information has been bought and sold but I can't seem to get out of it. The "Do Not Call List" is a joke. I have been on it for 8 years and it doesn't stop these daytime calls. NEVER trust your personal information to this business!

I would prefer to not even give them 1 star. I have been insured with the General for almost a year. And this being just "myself" on the policy. I was helping my niece out with a car for graduation and I went online and did a quote over six months ago. This car was probably a $500 car if that!!! It was NOT in either one's name at the time, as we are simply doing a quote! I went online to pay my bill 2 days ago and I see an extraordinary amount of money I owed... So I went onto the via chat and spoke with a gentleman named Clint. He had advised that my niece was added to my policy. I asked, how could that be, I never added her to my policy, I simply went on the website to get a quote. He advised to get back on to my policy online and remove her.

So I go and TRY to do this and it doesn't work. I open up chat again and receive the same guy, Clint. He then told me that I had to pay the full balance on the account before she could be removed off of my policy. I asked him, well why would I have to pay the full balance when I never even had her under my policy? I'm not going to pay the full balance because it's not correct. He said that is what I had to do because I never replied back to them about NOT adding her! I was just getting a quote!!! I didn't hit confirm, I didn't get a confirmation number??? WTF, so I asked him to cancel my insurance if that's the case. He said I don't have to cancel it, it's already canceled!!! Wow talk about customer service and trying to keep your clients!!! Why would I pay for someone else on my policy, when I never gave them the consent to add this person to my policy!!!

I find this illegal and corrupt! I didn't sign, nor get any information about adding her to my policy! So if this is the case, then I guess, I will never ever, do a quote online again! Call me out if I'm wrong, but how could I be financially responsible for doing a QUOTE!!! Remind you, I never added her to my policy!!! I'm pretty smart, or I thought I was when it comes to computers!!! I'm 37 years old and I've been working since I was 17! I am a graduate with some college education, I'm not an idiot!!! So please if I'm wrong, explain how I could be financially responsible for doing a quote?

I canceled my policy as soon (2 days later) I received it by mail, because they completely changed it. I was paying too much for just a Liability thinking it was full coverage. They charged me 135.00 cancellation fee. This is the worst insurance company ever. Stay away from them.

First off, a payment due date is the day it is due, not the day you are canceled for nonpayment, this is ridiculous!! And second, my due date is today, I made a payment yesterday and when I logged in this morning, it states that I was cancelled due to nonpayment, I even have the confirmation email, this company is the worst and I will be shopping for other insurance.

I got in a tc in 2014 and it was completely not my fault. Got a new car and took off my old one on my insurance. My rate went down I'm assuming due to it being a safer car, then my renewal came up and my rate went way up almost twice the amount. I then contacted them and they told me I was marked as a at fault accident then I told them it wasn't my fault and I had the report. They told me to send it in. It took me awhile to get it and I couldn't scan it so I had to find a place to fax it.

It took well over two weeks for them to even get back to me so I called and immediately she said my claim was being processed and my policy rewritten and after that I checked my policy and it showed it was in underwriting which it didn't even hours before. It took them a couple of days then I got only $142 out of over 600 I was owed nor did I see the money for the report or fax I paid for so I contacted them again and they sent me a billing history that was written intentionally to confuse, that doesn't cover the whole time frame and has a bunch of ambiguous fees and its been over two weeks and many contacts later and I've gotten nothing but silence.

Ever since I transferred my insurance with The General from old car to new car I've had nothing but problems. My NYS registration has been suspended numerous times due to The General not doing their job right by not labeling transactions properly. When I switched coverage to new vehicle they canceled my insurance and restarted a new policy on new car. They should've transferred coverage but because they didn't it showed in the DMV system as me having a cancellation. It literally took 3 months to get that fixed, during which time I got pulled over, ticketed for driving on suspended registration, and my car got impounded.

Fast forward to today January 3, 2017. I once again have a suspension notice due to cancellation of insurance. I noticed in November my insurance was canceled even though I paid $300 on my policy which would almost pay it off and not have to worry about paying it for a few months. I called The General where it took the rep 20 mins to finally see I electronically sent a check. Rep says it was never processed and I said, "That is not my responsibility." He finally states I'm all set and covered.

Now today I have the same problem from the same payment issue. They told me they will get back to me in 24 hrs. They called me about an hour later asking if I have anything showing I paid, so I sent them the email confirmation. They said that doesn't prove that my bank paid it out. Hmmm, let's see here, I don't have any bounced checks so either someone took the money or they forgot to cash the check. It's not my responsibility to cash the check for them too. Don't use this insurance, or you'll be sure to have problems.

First issue is that they will not total out my car which is valued less than 7000 and repairs was over 6200. Second issue is I received notice yesterday that my monthly premium went from 167 to 553 based on the accident. This is not the deductible. This is now my monthly payment which is insane.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Permanent General Auto Insurance is a licensed insurance agency that offers insurance in many states. They have been in business for over 50 years and have been recognized by A.M. Best for their financial stability.

• Accepts drivers regardless of history: The General offers insurance for most drivers, even if they don't have a perfect driving record or have let their insurance lapse.
  • Electronic payments: They make it easy to pay monthly bills online via their electronic platform.
  • Low down payments: They keep their down payments low and affordable so that drivers can sign up for insurance, even if they don't have a lot of money upfront.
  • Continuing to expand: The General is continuing to expand their coverage and has taken on new states such as West Virginia and Nebraska.
  • Great customer service: The General has excellent customer service that makes it easy for drivers to contact a representative and settle claims.
  • Best for Drivers with a poor driving history and drivers who want a low down payment.

Compare Auto Insurance

The General Auto Insurance Company Profile

Permanent General Auto Insurance (PGAC)