Find the Best Match

3.34/5
Based on 205 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

The General Auto Insurance

ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

The General Auto Insurance specializes in offering car insurance to high-risk drivers. The General is a verified carrier for InsuraMatch–which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. For free auto insurance quotes from The General and other verified carriers, call InsuraMatch today.

Find the Best Match

Compare Quotes and Save on Auto Insurance

FIND MY MATCH

465 The General Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I started my insurance with The General on the 30th of June which my monthly was going to be 121 with a downpayment of 186. Five days later I called to add another vehicle which let me tell you was a headache of its own. Well with me adding another car which was only liability my monthly went up to 305. So I decided to cancel. When I cancelled I thought I’d get most of my money back but was I wrong. Coverage for 4 and a half days costed me 120. They charged me a month payment for 5 days coverage. Never will I even consider this company for insurance. Their system sucks and they will rip you off. Look elsewhere people unless you can afford to lose money for nothing.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Beware of this company. They raised my rates so, I canceled & did not renew back with them. I got another insurance policy with their competitors. They started charging me all sorts of fees for services that they never provided, to or for me after my policy had ended. They put me into collections & threatened to ruin my credit unless I paid their made up charges. I disputed so many times with this company & their collection company to get nowhere with them. They eventually ruined my credit because I did not pay their ransom (made up charges). I am in the process of legal counsel to hold this company accountable for what they have done & the damages they caused. Please be very careful with this company & do your homework. I am a very very upset person with them & want to get word out of how they are.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 28, 2018

Shaq should be ashamed! Two vehicles - paid coverage for a year. Ran over debris and it’s been NINE weeks. I didn’t get rental coverage or I’m SURE my car would be fixed by now. I noticed that the GOOD reviews here have never filed a claim. I hope you don’t have to go through the General’s BS when you need them. Does it REALLY take over TWO months to get your vehicle fixed? I’ve now contacted the WA State Insurance Commissioner. I’m betting The General will do their job now.

Original review: July 27, 2018 I started with The General in 2015. I had 2 vehicles on my policy. A 2006 Chevy Express and a 2008 Mazda CX-7. On Dec 16 2016 I donated the Chevy Express to Kars4Kids. I called The General telling them the van was no longer on the road. I donated the van to Kars4Kids. I was reading my policy for some reason. Around 08/2017 the van is still on my policy. I call The General. Really po'd it must of been a mistake. A month ago in July 2018 the van is still on my policy. I think to myself there is something going on here. By keeping the second vehicle on the road they are receiving payment for that while knowing that the

vehicle will never have a claim because it is not on the road. I have a feeling I am not the only one this happened to. Why else would an insurance not take the vehicle off the road, I have a feeling there might be enough people to start a class action.

Original review: July 17, 2018

Words fail me. I have never ever dealt with such an asinine company sending out notice of cancellation when I paid 2 months in advance and 10 days early. Every rep I speak with says ‘that’s what they do...’ We get huge numbers of complaints but nothing changes and yes it’s a Mickey Mouse company. Even the recordings sound like they were made by some uneducated person. Absolutely horrible customer service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Permanent General Auto Insurance (PGAC)?

Original review: July 16, 2018

Policy stated 33.00 premium payment. Invoice states 33.00 but have paid 52.00 consistently. Cancel policy on due date and charge reinstatement fees even though should be next payment on date policy started. Asked about price hike and they said they didn't know why it would be stated as 33.00 but when I look at my recent invoice it states the payment at 33.00 even though they are billing 51.00. Very strange practices with billing. Fraudulent practices, no real explanations. Tried to pay bill on 16th only gave me an option for the 17th. Very weird. Will cancel as they quote one thing, invoice same, then bill is totally different online. Just not sure how they do business.

Original review: July 13, 2018

I would not recommend anyone using this insurance company for anything. I was in an auto accident and the agent with this company has been rude, disrespectful to myself as well as the person driving the vehicle I was riding in. They do not return their calls and when they do they take it upon themselves to try to browbeat the customer into settling as well as say things one way and then switch it around. They also take it upon themselves to make decisions for the customer against what the customer may have said. So if you are in an accident and the person who hit you has the general hire a lawyer as you will not be treated decently by any of the agents who work for the general auto insurance.

Original review: July 12, 2018

Was told I wasn’t eligible because my boyfriend visits me and has a car. Really? I guess I have to break up with him to get insurance. So, I can’t ever get it and he doesn’t even live with me. Wow so disappointed with this insurance company.

Original review: June 28, 2018

Though true The General is fair with their low rate insurance their claims adjusters are low rate as well. Me and my mother-in-law got into a wreck June 15, 2018 Friday. It took till Monday for the adjuster, Rita ** to look at the damages and Tuesday till I could get a rental car. Here it is Thursday the 28th and I have called her at least 7 times, no callbacks, left several messages and still NOTHING. I had no idea what was going on nor if they were going to say if my van was totaled or can be fixed so I know if I can find another car or not.

I called again today to try and talk to her and got told she's been on vacation and won't return till Monday July 1st. I was pissed. Not only was I being ignored she's went on vacation this past Tuesday till 1st and no one bothered telling me nor even tried to get me another adjuster to help. As far as I'm concerned I'll have to keep The General till my claim is taken care of then I'm finding a company that actually cares about their clients and their already stressful situations.

Original review: June 18, 2018

I’m gonna start by saying I’d give them no stars if I could. This company is horrible. Me and my husband went to change our insurance from our separate policies into a combined policy. Signed up with them on June 8th. Was offered a better combined rate to stay with Geico so we faxed in cancellation on the 11th three days into the policy after paying original $90 sign up. Called to see if there would be a refund. And got a big Fat NO!! Apparently in the fine print they keep 10% of your original premium which was $67 then charged us another $15 to process that and the remaining $7 was applied to the three days we actually had a policy!! Make damn sure to read the fine print on this policy before buying. We basically paid $90 for three days worth of insurance.

Original review: June 7, 2018

General Auto Insurnace was cheap and the down payment and monthly payments were affordable for someone on a tight budget. The payment options were convenient and so was the claim process. However, customer service in the local office was poor. It's like they say you get what you pay for. It was ok, had to wait for over 30 minutes to speak to someone because they on had two people work. They need to have more. I got the office on a Friday afternoon which is obviously a busy time for those that live paycheck to paycheck and use companies like this to get by.

Original review: June 7, 2018

On April 4th 2018 I was in a comprehensive motor vehicle accident. An 18 wheeler tire popped in front of me, flew through the air and smashed the front of my 2010 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution Sportback. My car sits 2 inches from the ground has several factory modifications as it’s a special edition. I pay for the special insurance also. When it hit the front of my car it hit the ground and flew under the driver side of my car. It chopped up the doors and back quarter panel. Of course I reported it to the General. They sent an adjuster out to my home Ms. Tracy ** and I had told Ms. ** that there was minor damage from a deer incident. She had stated she did not include that into the estimate. I waited to hear from the General. I did hear from a Mr. ** an investigator that worked for the General stating that I had made a prior claim on the same damage. I had not.

I reported the deer accident to Liberty Mutual for Carfax purposes only. I did not ask them to pay for that damage. Mr. ** sent an email stating everything was fine. I would hear from the adjuster within 24 to 48 hours. I didn't hear from them for a week or more, I got an email from Cedrick ** stating he would contact me within 24 to 48 hours. Of course that was on a Friday. So I didn't hear from anyone that whole week. Got another email Friday. I would hear from them in 24 to 48 hours. I didn't hear from them. I called on Wednesday. Talked to a representative they sent me through to a lady. She told me I need to choose a shop and get back to them. I chose Gerber **. Set the date to drop the car off. It was the next Thursday.

Tuesday came around. I called the shop to see if I could bring the car in a day early. They said sure. I pay someone to come follow me to the shop. I called them that morning to let them know we were going to be a few minutes late. They ask for my insurance name and adjusters number. I told them the general insurance. They said they did not have an appointment for me and that I would have to find another shop. We are 30 days in now. It should have been a red flag to me that Gerber didn't want to do the work.

Here's why I call around frantically to find another shop for my car. I found Abra Auto Body in Cornelius, NC. They told me to bring the car to them. They contacted the general for the estimate to be sent over so they sent the estimate. It was 7 pages and was 2908.32. Mr. ** the shops manager took me through what all was on the estimate and what had to be done.

I return home from this crazy day to find a 1500 dollar check in the mail from the General so I called them because of course that isn't gonna pay the estimated damage. Still at this moment have not spoke to Cedrick **. They put a Krista ** on the phone. She is supposed to be a supervisor. I ask what the check was for. She stated she stopped payment on that check that they had dropped the estimate down to 1100 dollars and some change (which is not legal in any way without the adjuster signing it). So I told her she needed to contact Abra to let them know that the estimate had been changed. She did not. I had already signed for the work to be done.

So a day later I finally heard from Cedrick ** who stated that 2 checks were being sent to the body shop. One for 2908.38 the original estimate and 1800 dollars which I went to Abra to find out if they have found new or any under carriage damage. Mr. ** had stated that he had not heard from anyone at the General. So the work continued. I got a call from the rental car company stating that the General hasn't paid for the rental car.

I called the General again. Got this Ms. ** again. I try to find out why they would not pay for the rental car when they still had my car in the shop. She was very hateful and not full of any kind of information that was relevant to the claim or the car or even the rental but went on to say that they were not gonna pay but 1100 for the damages to the car. And that she had stopped payment on the other 2 checks. All the while cannot explain where this 1100 dollar estimate came from. And still have no explanation as to where this estimate came from.

Another week went by car is done. We are waiting on the general to pay this original claim because they know the laws but playing dumb about it. They are still refusing to pay it. It is not legal for them to change an estimate on a car without the adjuster signing it. The only one Ms. ** has signed on is the 2908 32 so what makes them think that it is right not to pay everything rental car included because they are the reason for the hold up. Not to mentioned not very trained on the insurance laws.

Original review: June 7, 2018

My overall experience with The General was excellent. I am completely satisfied. I am a happy customer and will continue to use their services if I purchase an additional vehicle. It was an easy call to set everything up. Finding the right policy for me was easy and staff made the experience fast and painless. I love their app. I will definitely refer this company to family and friends. The only thing is I have yet to receive my cards in the mail after almost a month.

Original review: June 6, 2018

It's been a while since we had insurance with The General. Being a large family, we ultimately switched to another company that provided us a more affordable auto policy & cheaper monthly payments which The General could not accommodate us with.

Original review: June 5, 2018

Purchasing my General Auto Insurance policy has always been quick and simple. They work with me to get what I need and don't need. I like that they aren't pushing and are willing to listen to your needs. Their insurance is a reasonable price that I can afford. Whenever I have had a problem their customer service team has always been there for me ready to solve the problem. I would recommend this company to family and friends as I trust them so should they. Look forward to doing business in the future when I may need different types of coverage.

Original review: June 4, 2018

Shaq should be ashamed of associating himself with such con-artist! The claims dept does not represent the customer like they should. Very high payments for very little coverage! David ** is the worst adjuster in the world. Fire that guy to make buying insurance great again. I would NEVER recommend The General insurance to anyone!

Original review: June 4, 2018

I've been with the General for years and have always felt well taken care of by them. Even when I had to file claims, they were there to help and get me what I needed to be safely back on the road again quickly. They are dependable and has great roadside service. I never had a problem with them keeping up with the changes in my policy when I needed to. Great customer service, always made things clear and understandable for me. I would like there to be a feature like Progressive has where you can plug in a device and it can monitor your driving so you can get discounts for being a safe, good driver.

Original review: June 3, 2018

I enjoyed my time with The General. Their prices in regards to a person who has recent accidents are excellent, and they do not treat you differently for such events. Customer service representatives are quick and courteous. However, the liability coverage has less than ideal options as far as accidents while on the plan. They should have a build your own option much like Progressive insurance company does. I did find a better rate with another company recently and decided to switch. I do however enjoy customer service representatives from the General much more than my current company.

Original review: June 2, 2018

The General Auto is an amazing auto insurance company. It took less than 10 minutes to purchase policy. Everything can be sent through email including insurance cards and paperwork. I can change, delete or add services to my policy at anytime online. Furthermore, I like the 24 hour customer service, good rates. Customer service employees are always very helpful and don't give a runaround about things. Overall, I am very satisfied and don't plan on switching anytime soon.

Original review: June 1, 2018

Purchasing auto insurance with the General was extremely easy, and it was finished quickly. Customer service was easy to deal with, they were extremely understanding. The process was completely painless. They have competitive prices, low down payment, online pay, easy customer service calling, personalized service, several different package options to get you the best coverage at an affordable price, extremely easy to file claims, and claims are handled very quickly from start to finish. On the other hand, I think they could do way better with a different marketing technique. Their commercials are rather loud and obnoxious.

Original review: May 31, 2018

I have had nothing but good service from The General Auto Insurance and will choose to stay with them as long as it allows. They are convenient and I can print my insurance card online as many times as needed. I like how courteous they are and I feel good being a customer. But maybe they could make a better website. I would recommend them to anyone.

Original review: May 31, 2018

We signed up online very quick and didn't take long at all. Spoke with an agent on the phone to finalize things and it was easy and they were helpful. Then quickly received an email with all important information. We very much enjoyed setting up our insurance. The online options were easy to use as well and bill paying is simple. Would recommend The General to others.

Original review: May 31, 2018

The General had the most affordable policy I found and purchasing was very simple. The processing to set up a policy was explained well for each question asked. My policy was confirmed and I was able to print a proof of insurance after completing my purchase. The price for coverage was within my range. No hidden fees or extra requirements were ever thrown at me while my policy was in effect. Anytime I had a question or issue my emails were answer quickly and always thorough. However, everything is online or over the phone. I would rather know that if there was any problems that needed attention right away I could go to a local office and speak to someone face to face and they don't have that option in Colorado.

Original review: May 31, 2018

Overall I am completely satisfied with the policy and its options, but there are two extras that I absolutely appreciate. I like the option to purchase life insurance that is a major bonus. I also like the roadside assistance option because you never know when you will have a flat tire or lock your keys in the car. I would recommend a discount program or other fun incentives. To me this would further encourage your policyholders to extend their contracts and recommend The General Auto Insurance to their family and friends. But other than that, I generally have a great and satisfied experience everytime I interact whether it's online or visiting my local office. I always receive courteous, fast, friendly service and would recommend The General Auto Insurance to anyone.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Everything took place online from the initial quote process and selection of coverage amount down to the specifics of the drivers covered. The process seemed simple enough. Being great how handy online everything was, it is a double-edged sword making it confusing as well. Not personally dealing with an agent was strenuous to me. Nevertheless, the quotes and annual premiums were affordable and quick to acquire on the computer. Also their rates didn't change and I had roadside coverage with my plan.

Original review: May 30, 2018

The rates were comparable and purchasing the insurance was very easy. I was able to do everything I needed online. Everything went fast and smooth. I was satisfied with The General overall and would recommend them to friends or family if they were looking for auto insurance with decent rates.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Their price is cheapest with my situation, and they have a low deductible. All of my information was processed in an hour or so and they were able to email the app to my car dealership. However, their app is not awesome as it is basically a link to their website. They should update it to allow payments because doesn't help when you want to pay. But overall, the experience was pretty good. They also were friendly and helpful with my application.

Original review: May 30, 2018

My overall experience with The General was mostly amazing. The General made me feel like I was apart of the community. They seemed like they really cared about their customers. I enjoyed being apart of their brand. They were willing to work with you when you were having a financial hardship. They also made me feel like I was about of something bigger than auto insurance. Anytime I need help they were there to guide me through what I needed. I wish them the best. The one thing I would improve would be how some of the employees talked to the customer.

Original review: May 29, 2018

Very easy to purchase my policy online. I signed up for an account and put in all of my information and step by step I had auto insurance. It was easy to add or take off vehicles and add drivers when I need to. The cost is very good and they keep all my vehicles covered for a low price. Although The General does not give discounts for not driving much, the cost is still reasonable even when I need to add a vehicle. But I would like to have more of a description on everything I can add on or take off of my account. I do not know much about each category and it would be nice to have them put a little information with each so I can then decide what I would like on to my auto insurance. Other than that, customer service has been prompt in sending my bills every month as well as emails to remind me. They're even very helpful whenever I need them. I like that I can pick due dates and logging into my account is very easy.

Original review: May 29, 2018

I've tried many insurance companies and brokers hoping to find the right one for my needs. The General has fulfilled my insurance needs, and they are experienced which makes me breathe a sigh of relief and sleep better at night knowing everything it's taken care of. My overall experience with them is a very good one and I am happy with it.

It was an easy process to purchase my insurance. I feel safe and at home with them. All the employees seem to be really great and it work well with me. They are so genuine with their caring about their customers! My insurance broker does what she needs to do for me and I like that I can reach my insurance broker any time I need. They take the time to locate the best insurance for my needs and what's best for me and my financial needs. They made sure I understood everything about my policy. It is also easy to pay. I enjoy seeing Shaq and the many commercials. Low rates and good service are important to me. You even save more when you come by home insurance with auto insurance. So with what I'm saving from my auto insurance I can treat myself to a little shopping spree. With offices throughout the Chicagoland area, it's easy to find The General insurance. I enjoyed referring The General to my friends and family.

Not sure about The General Auto Insurance?
Take our two minute quiz to find the right Car Insurance for you.

Permanent General Auto Insurance (PGAC) expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Permanent General Auto Insurance is a licensed insurance agency that offers insurance in many states. They have been in business for over 50 years and have been recognized by A.M. Best for their financial stability.

• Accepts drivers regardless of history: The General offers insurance for most drivers, even if they don't have a perfect driving record or have let their insurance lapse.

• Electronic payments: They make it easy to pay monthly bills online via their electronic platform.

• Low down payments: They keep their down payments low and affordable so that drivers can sign up for insurance, even if they don't have a lot of money upfront.

• Continuing to expand: The General is continuing to expand their coverage and has taken on new states such as West Virginia and Nebraska.

• Great customer service: The General has excellent customer service that makes it easy for drivers to contact a representative and settle claims.

• Best for: Drivers with a poor driving history and drivers who want a low down payment.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky
Matthew Brodsky

Insurance Contributing Editor

The General Auto Insurance Company Information

Permanent General Auto Insurance (PGAC)
www.thegeneral.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business