Fast Free Quotes

The General Auto Insurance
3.69/5

The General Auto Insurance

ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

The General Auto Insurance specializes in offering car insurance to high-risk drivers. The General is a verified carrier for InsuraMatch–which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. For free auto insurance quotes from The General and other verified carriers, call InsuraMatch today.

BOTTOM LINE

The General auto insurance covers high-risk drivers. Satisfied customers say it’s really easy to get an online quote and that the pricing is great. Reviewers say the customer service is excellent and prices are competitive.

PROS

• Offers SR-22 filing for drivers
  • Offers most of the standard options offered by competitors
  • Affordable insurance for high-risk drivers who have trouble finding coverage elsewhere
  • Deductible waiver for windshields, door and window glass.

CONS

• No safe driver programs or discounts
  • Con third point.
  • Prices can be higher than competitors

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

The General Auto Insurance Reviews

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

I have had a lapse in coverage due to non-payment, but that was not a problem. All I had to do was make my payment to re-instate. It was that easy, hassle-free. It was all done with their automated service. I called the next day and talked with a live person to confirm transitions.

Original review: March 28, 2019

No other insurance company would help me and one agent told me I was uninsurable. I didn't think I was going to be able to drive again until I called The General and they told me they would help me get back on the road. They quoted me a price and I've never had any of the Hidden fees other people are posting about. My policy is up and I'm about to renew. That's how I arrived at this site. If you need high risk liability insurance to get back on the road this company is excellent.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I really like how easy it was to initially get a quote for the car before I purchased the policy. It is very easy to pay online and your payment information is automatically saved. I also liked the fact that you get a payment confirmation and also get an email if your payment is required for the month.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

The experience with The General has been ok. I do not feel extra special when I go there. It is like a number being pushed through and that is it. The insurance does what it needs to do, but there is nothing "wow" or I don’t get major perks. I would change, but the price is keeping me from switching for the time being. So the policy is ok, the pricing is good.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

All the times I had to deal with The General, the customer service was very helpful, and I love how you can get help no matter the time since The General has twenty four hours service help. The best part is that The General will match or beat the price of any other insurance company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Permanent General Auto Insurance (PGAC)?

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

Being in the auto body industry. The General Insurance is the worst. Nothing is worse than these people. Just try calling up and filing a claim it takes over an hour. People on the phone don't know anything. Nobody knows nothing. Then when the adjuster finally comes and looks at the vehicle they dodged your call. They don't answer your telephone. They don't answer emails. It's been 45 days since they should have paid the claim on a vehicle we had finished. Just stay away from these people. Erie Insurance is a lot better.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2019

Do not go with The General if you want to have an accident claim done properly. If you want cheap insurance that works best without having issues that need to be brought to them then you will be fine. Our adjuster Joseph ** did a good job in the beginning and our rental they put us in was good until Friday the 13th of September. We had a car picked out already and were waiting for the total loss payout that same day but never received any response to our multiple calls and inquiries. And why would The General schedule our rental to be returned on the 13th and leave us with no car? Well that is what they did.

I had to pay out of pocket to continue to rental because we have to have transportation where Joseph ** dropped the ball. We are already up for renewal but we certainly won't renew with The General. We are now forced to wait in the dark until Monday the 16th thanks to The General. Please understand I'm an experienced older car buyer and I've never been treated this poorly with all other insurance companies I've been with over the years. Now we have to forfeit on the car we spent hours reviewing, test driving, etc. and now we are probably going to lose that car over buyers that will buy it this weekend while we still sit with a rental that I paid for, not the insurance company. VERY POOR FOLLOW THROUGH WHEN PAYMENT WAS DUE TO US FOR THE SETTLEMENT. Bad job guys!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

So I called The General, some guy named "Jonathan" was who I spoke with. He was not nice at all, did not even let me finish asking my question and cut me off say "Thank you for calling th-." I hung up on his rude **. ** whatever he was gonna say LOL.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

Obtaining an online policy was easy and quick. The main thing I didn’t like was the policy being almost double the amount than other quotes I had received. Customer service was very polite and helpful any time I called with a question.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

Very displeased with the General Insurance. Called for a quote and was told my pickup was too big and they wouldn't write a policy for it in my State. The General offers vehicle insurance they claim but watch out 'cause they don't specify vehicle!!!

Permanent General Auto Insurance (PGAC) expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Permanent General Auto Insurance is a licensed agency that offers insurance in many states. They have been in business for over 50 years and recognized by A.M.

• Accepts drivers regardless of history: The General offers insurance for most drivers, even if they don't have a perfect driving record or have let their insurance lapse.

• Electronic payments: They make it easy to pay monthly bills online via their electronic platform.

• Low down payments: They keep their down payments low and affordable so that drivers can sign up for insurance, even if they don't have a lot of money upfront.

• Continuing to expand: The General is continuing to expand their coverage and has taken on new states such as West Virginia and Nebraska.

• Great customer service: The General has excellent customer service that makes it easy for drivers to contact a representative and settle claims.

• Best for: Drivers with a poor driving history and drivers who want a low down payment.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky
Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor

The General Auto Insurance Company Information

Permanent General Auto Insurance (PGAC)
www.thegeneral.com