2. Automotive
The General Auto Insurance

The General Auto Insurance

4.0/5 (1378 ratings)
Compare Quotes on Quotewizard

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About The General Auto Insurance

The General specializes in auto coverage policies for drivers who are high risk or who have poor credit scores. It offers affordable car insurance with low down payments and is geared toward those who might struggle to find policy providers. The General writes auto policies in 44 states.

Pros

• Affordable
  • Caters to high-risk drivers
  • Low down payments

Cons

• Penalty for canceling early
  • Limited info on website

Bottom Line

The General caters to high-risk drivers and those with poor credit. It offers auto insurance policies with low down payments and SR-22 filing, and its coverage is widely available throughout the U.S.

Top The General Auto Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Permanent General Auto Insurance (PGAC)?

Verified

Verified

No other insurance company would help me... I didn't think I was going to be able to drive again until I called The General and they told me they would help me get back on the roa...

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

What is The General car insurance?

The General is a subsidiary of PGC Holding Corporation, which is an affiliate of American Family Insurance. The company provides auto insurance policies ideal for high-risk drivers and those with poor credit. Its coverage includes collision, comprehensive, liability, personal injury protection and roadside assistance options. It also offers SR-22 filing. Its coverage is available in 44 states.

How does The General work?

The General is known for its quick, easy and affordable online quotes, which help potential policyholders save time and money. It offers various policy and service options to suit drivers’ needs.

With the General, you can choose your desired coverage limits. Its restricted plans limit coverage to those specifically listed on your policy, and its medical payments insurance covers medical expenses for you or your family members affected by an automobile accident. Its additional protection options include uninsured motorist coverage and rental car insurance.

The General quotes and rates

With The General, you should be able to avoid surprise policy fees. It combines payment plans with electronic verification of your info and details about your vehicle when you purchase a policy. The company offers low down payments and affordable rates, and it accepts payment via credit card and electronic checks. It also provides split payment options.

Note that 10 percent of your unearned premium might be deducted if you cancel your policy early — however, this varies from state to state.

The General FAQ

Does The General have full coverage insurance?
Yes, The General does offer full coverage options. Each policy is different, though, so it's important to check the details of your plan if you need full coverage.
What states does The General cover?
The General writes policies in 44 states.
Does The General offer rental car coverage?
Yes, The General offers rental car coverage. Contact customer support to verify your policy includes this coverage.
Does The General do windshield repair?
Yes. The General offers windshield repair as part of its comprehensive coverage.

Is The General car insurance good?

Auto coverage from The General is a good option for high-risk drivers and those with low credit. Its plans are affordable, and you can get fast and easy quotes online. It also offers low down payments and split payment options. The General also provides full coverage, rental car, medical, personal injury protection and uninsured motorist insurance, among other policy options.

The General Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The General Auto Insurance?

Original review: Nov. 10, 2020

Fastest, cheapest priced auto insurance I have come across in my search. I have looked into about 5 other major insurance companies and not only do they change your quote at the last minute, it's a long process to even get to the end. The app is so helpful and easy to use as well!

Original review: June 21, 2021

It was approximately 2 weeks from when I had first gotten The General car insurance in 2019 and they contacted my DMV and told them my insurance had lapsed which it did not. This was during the pandemic so I did not know about this. I ended up getting pulled over and gotten a ticket for no registration as it had gotten revoked because of this. It took me 2-3 weeks to get this resolved because I had a hard time getting ahold of the DMV.

This also happened again this year (2021). I did receive paperwork from the DMV this time about this so I was able to catch it. When I contacted The General about this they said that this is what they do when a policy comes up to be renewed. I have never had this with any other insurance company I have worked with. And then the last straw, this past Friday I made my monthly payment over the app. It kept saying my payment was denied. If finally went through. Then on Saturday when I looked at my bank account it showed 2 pending payments for The General. When I called them they stated that there was a payment made on Friday, the day I made the payment, and also the next day. They are refunding the second payment, but I will not recommend them in any way shape or form. If I could give a lower rating I would.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2020

I got The General after I bought my 1st car and was paying a little over $200 every 6 months then one day I was stopped at a red light and some guy rear-ended me while I was Stopped. Well obviously it wasn't my fault cause the guy rear-ended me while I was stopped at the red light. So The General Jacked up my insurance to over $1000 every 6 months. Needless to say I went to a different insurance company. They shouldn't penalize you when it wasn't your fault.

Original review: July 14, 2020

I call because I receive a renewal with questions. The first representative was very rude & act like I was disturbing her by asking questions. So I will cancel policy. Will not be treated like that when you getting my hard earn money. Thank you. I was put on hold by 2nd representative but hung up. Decided this is not where I want to spend my money.

Original review: June 20, 2020

Updated on 05/23/2020: THIS IS AN UPDATE FROM the review posted on 6/20/2020: This update review is regarding my last encounter with one of their customer support agent. As I stated before, their customer support is horrible, but today I got very lucky and had the opportunity to speak with a wonderful gentleman, Mr. **. This was the first time ever that I had such a pleasant experience with a customer service agent from The General that I had to comment about his service. He was extremely helpful, knowledgeable, and professional. He was out of the norm of their usual unfriendly, easily irritated customer service agent. He was definitely way over qualified than their usual mediocre (at their best) to the straight out rude other customer service agents.

If I had spoken with him on that day discussing possible changes with my new vehicle, I definitely would have stayed, paying a lot more with The General than I am now with Geico, because I would not have had the determination to leave due to that above and beyond rude customer support agent. So for me I guess it was a good to get her, since it triggered me to finally search for a new insurance company after all those years of unsatisfactory service.

In conclusion, even though I left The General (due to their extremely rude customer service agent) I still felt the need to write a review about Mr. P., because he was the most amazing customer support agent I ever encountered and The General needs to know this, because they need a lot more like him and retrain most of their other agents if they want to survive. If The General is reading this review, it would be a wise thing to take note of the name P., because he is definitely one of their greatest customer service agent they have, and I would know because I have been with them for over 10 years and dealt with many of their agents throughout the years.

Original: I have been with the General (permanent general back then) for about over 10 years. Therefore, I know that the customer support agents are not that friendly. So, I never expect great or friendly service from them always. But, the customer support agent I dealt with today was above and beyond rude that I immediately called Geico and brought my business to them and finalized my membership and payment with Geico. I am very glad that I finally made the decision to leave The General and will no longer deal with their unfriendly and straight out rude and unprofessional Customer Support agents. The only reason why I still have the app with The General is to make sure I get my refund from the cancellation. After I receive my refund The General app will be deleted forever!

Original review: June 9, 2020

If you set up payment for a date you have to pay it the day before. I payed my bill the day it was due now I face a 400 fine from my state for having relapse on insurance. They dont even offer vet's discounts for my state when other companies will.

Original review: June 2, 2020

Updated on 06/03/2020: So I posted a comment on one of their post about the price of their insurance. Basically the same as the review I put on here yesterday. Today I am blocked from commenting or messaging the general on Facebook for being honest about their rates and the extra cost of cancellations. So apparently if you don’t like the general and want to tell the truth they block you.

Original Review: I have a perfect driving record. My rate was almost $300/month. I paid my monthly premium 3 days before due date. I purchased a policy with a well known company that worked out to be less expensive with better coverage. I purchased the policy 2 days after the premium due date. I called to cancel and it cost me over $100 for two days of a monthly payment cycle. They say they break the rate down to a daily rate when you cancel but that can’t be true since I didn’t have to pay $1500/month. The rates are ridiculously high and it costs you to cancel at an even higher rate.

Original review: May 22, 2020

Charged my card without my knowledge and refused to resolve it via email, phone or chat on their site. This issue is still pending. Overall, terrible customer service experience with an untrustworthy company.

Original review: May 4, 2020

Never received noticed my insurance dropped me, I received an email 8 days after and didn’t get the “official mail” for almost two weeks after. They never sent me any notification and I was driving around without insurance for over a week; it could of gone very badly. Not happy.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2020

I saw the ad for the General on TV. I didn't feel like calling several Insurance companies and repeating all my info, so with the ad I had seen several times on TV, I decided to see how fast and affordable this company would be and to my surprise, it was fast, easy, and affordable. I had to send them proof of insurance before and a payment and I was done. All the paperwork you need for the General is on their site and it's self explanatory for what you need.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

I found their website to be very easy to use. They were very helpful and very efficient in starting my policy. The woman I worked with online was very helpful and patient in helping me submit all the necessary paper work.

The General Auto Insurance Company Information

Permanent General Auto Insurance (PGAC)
    www.thegeneral.com