Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
The General Auto Insurance
1.36/5

The General Auto Insurance

ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

The General Auto Insurance specializes in offering car insurance to high-risk drivers. The General is a verified carrier for InsuraMatch–which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. For free auto insurance quotes from The General and other verified carriers, call InsuraMatch today.

BOTTOM LINE

The General auto insurance covers high-risk drivers. Satisfied customers say it’s really easy to get an online quote and that the pricing is great. Reviewers say the customer service is excellent and prices are competitive.

PROS

• Offers SR-22 filing for drivers
  • Offers most of the standard options offered by competitors
  • Affordable insurance for high-risk drivers who have trouble finding coverage elsewhere
  • Deductible waiver for windshields, door and window glass.

CONS

• No safe driver programs or discounts
  • Con third point.
  • Prices can be higher than competitors

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

521 The General Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 28, 2019

No other insurance company would help me and one agent told me I was uninsurable. I didn't think I was going to be able to drive again until I called The General and they told me they would help me get back on the road. They quoted me a price and I've never had any of the Hidden fees other people are posting about. My policy is up and I'm about to renew. That's how I arrived at this site. If you need high risk liability insurance to get back on the road this company is excellent.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I really like how easy it was to initially get a quote for the car before I purchased the policy. It is very easy to pay online and your payment information is automatically saved. I also liked the fact that you get a payment confirmation and also get an email if your payment is required for the month.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

The experience with The General has been ok. I do not feel extra special when I go there. It is like a number being pushed through and that is it. The insurance does what it needs to do, but there is nothing "wow" or I don’t get major perks. I would change, but the price is keeping me from switching for the time being. So the policy is ok, the pricing is good.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

All the times I had to deal with The General, the customer service was very helpful, and I love how you can get help no matter the time since The General has twenty four hours service help. The best part is that The General will match or beat the price of any other insurance company.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I got into a small accident last year and they made the process go really smooth. I was able to submit my claim and they took care of everything in a really quick manner. I've dealt with other companies before and it took a lot longer to get a claim to go through. I enjoyed the speed at which they worked for me.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Permanent General Auto Insurance (PGAC)?

Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

The General continued to bill me after I cancelled and switched to another company. Reported me to collection and forced me to pay to keep it off my credit report. I would not recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

I was in an accident involving The General's client. THE GENERAL will not pay for my car so I'm seeking counsel. How can they get away with not fixing my ride to work? I will find out. It was an Enterprise rent a car that struck me. They must be in bed together.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

Worst customer relations experience I’ve ever been through in my life. I just got off the phone with Anthony in customer relations and he blatantly lied to me about the app. Said that if you click on pay now there’s a button where you can click it adjust auto pay. There is no button that exist. I have the links. I have the app on my phone. It does not exist on a recorded line. He took no regards in lying. They were taking three hundred dollars a month out of our account for the last 10 months on auto pay. I had my wallet lost and stolen so I got a new card went to all my apps of all my credit cards and insurance on all apps. I was able to adjust my new numbers and keep everything the same and going except one credit card Discover which after calling them they realize it should link their system. If it wipes their system it should wipe my app so I don’t look at my app and think that everything is all good and dandy.

They reversed their late fee after several conversations with the General and no regards will they do anything of that nature. Never did I ever receive any emails or anything until five days after my insurance was supposedly canceled then I made numerous calls and contacted them with no return in any efforts. They don’t care about how they mess with your livelihood. I would pray ppl think twice before going to the insurance company. I’ve been 18 years with never a lapsed payment in my life and now because of these people I might have one. I would suggest maybe progressive American family or liberty financial. All are way better insurance companies than the general. They may give you a little but they will mess with your history and auto payment every month and talk to you like you're not important. Please look into other companies. I am not just bitter. It’s the best advice I can give any one. I am looking out for you cause they wont be.

Original review: July 5, 2019

They have you select a due date when you sign up with them, then demand payment 1 or two days before the date. Your policy gets canceled on the bill due date not after it. Not to mention our second month was 80 dollars more expensive than our first for no apparent reason, even though it says we have discounts.

Original review: June 12, 2019

I have had a pretty positive experience with this company until I went to renew my 3 car tags just to find out that the registration lady have been cancelled due to non verification of insurance. I call numerous times only to get an incompetent person to send me the Letter of Experience instead of The State of Alabama Tag office. In total I called 12 times and I received 12 letters that weren’t even supposed to be sent to me. Since I couldn’t get my insurance company to verify, even though I had all the proof, I received a fine of $200 per car plus the cost of my tags.

I waited until the last day on my policy to cancel and they have the audacity to try to charge me for it. It was the last day before renewal too. 6 hrs left on policy and they are charging me $60. Even told me they don’t have to verify with states. If it’s law I don’t understand why this company can practice and consumers have to pay fines because they aren’t doing their jobs. Went with Progressive which was so much cheaper and took two minutes for them to verify for me to get my registrations and tags. Stay away!!!

Permanent General Auto Insurance (PGAC) expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Permanent General Auto Insurance is a licensed agency that offers insurance in many states. They have been in business for over 50 years and recognized by A.M.

• Accepts drivers regardless of history: The General offers insurance for most drivers, even if they don't have a perfect driving record or have let their insurance lapse.

• Electronic payments: They make it easy to pay monthly bills online via their electronic platform.

• Low down payments: They keep their down payments low and affordable so that drivers can sign up for insurance, even if they don't have a lot of money upfront.

• Continuing to expand: The General is continuing to expand their coverage and has taken on new states such as West Virginia and Nebraska.

• Great customer service: The General has excellent customer service that makes it easy for drivers to contact a representative and settle claims.

• Best for: Drivers with a poor driving history and drivers who want a low down payment.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky
Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor

The General Auto Insurance Company Information

Permanent General Auto Insurance (PGAC)
www.thegeneral.com