Fast Free Quotes

The General Auto Insurance

The General Auto Insurance
Request Information
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.70/5

The General Auto Insurance specializes in offering car insurance to high-risk drivers. The General is a verified carrier for InsuraMatch–which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. For free auto insurance quotes from The General and other verified carriers, call InsuraMatch today.

BOTTOM LINE

The General auto insurance covers high-risk drivers. Satisfied customers say it’s really easy to get an online quote and that the pricing is great. Reviewers say the customer service is excellent and prices are competitive.

PROS

• Offers SR-22 filing for drivers
  • Deductible waivers for glass
  • Affordable insurance for high-risk drivers

CONS

• No safe driver programs or discounts
  • Prices can be higher than competitors

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

The General Auto Insurance Reviews

Original review: Feb. 28, 2020

I saw the ad for the General on TV. I didn't feel like calling several Insurance companies and repeating all my info, so with the ad I had seen several times on TV, I decided to see how fast and affordable this company would be and to my surprise, it was fast, easy, and affordable. I had to send them proof of insurance before and a payment and I was done. All the paperwork you need for the General is on their site and it's self explanatory for what you need.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

I found their website to be very easy to use. They were very helpful and very efficient in starting my policy. The woman I worked with online was very helpful and patient in helping me submit all the necessary paper work.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

I have had a lapse in coverage due to non-payment, but that was not a problem. All I had to do was make my payment to re-instate. It was that easy, hassle-free. It was all done with their automated service. I called the next day and talked with a live person to confirm transitions.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

It was very easy to sign up and get insurance. The rates and choices you could make concerning your policy were very reasonable. It doesn't take a long time to speak with a customer service representative.

Original review: March 28, 2019

No other insurance company would help me and one agent told me I was uninsurable. I didn't think I was going to be able to drive again until I called The General and they told me they would help me get back on the road. They quoted me a price and I've never had any of the Hidden fees other people are posting about. My policy is up and I'm about to renew. That's how I arrived at this site. If you need high risk liability insurance to get back on the road this company is excellent.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Permanent General Auto Insurance (PGAC)?

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

This insurance company is the worst! They are not timely as they claim to be - my car was hit, not my fault, I have been without a car for over a month - they take forever to get anything processed and refuse to represent your best interest to the other insurance company...I recommend you do not get this insurance!!!!!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

I purchased the auto policy 2 days ago then I read the reviews. Boy was I a sucker. They took my 227 ambe. Won't give it back. That's ok. They will end giving it back 'cause I'm filing papers. They cover nothing if someone or I get into an accident. This company is worthless and apparently they don't understand English either. I have a perfect driving record for dealing with stupid morons like this. WILL NEVER RECOMMEND.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

Be careful when purchasing The General insurance. It is not a insurance company to use for high-end vehicles such as BMW and Mercedes-Benz. Their claim department will not valuate your vehicle fairly. I thought that they were doing me a favor by "recommending" a shop to estimate repairs. Please don't fall for this. Find your own shop that is a state certified shop and allow them to provide an estimate of your vehicle. They valued my 2011 BMW at $7600. The "recommended" repair shop estimated the value of my car to be within the threshold to declare it a total loss based on the repair costs. I don't know which came first: the repair estimate or the value estimate but it is not hard to see how easily these companies can colluded. Also, they housed my car a lot that actually buys cars so I am sure that they are going to make a profit on a 2011 BMW for $7600 when they sell it.

This system is corrupt. I usually fight these types of things but I just don't have the time or energy to do so this time. But please, please please use caution in acquiring insurance with this company. They are not helping the high risk. They are taking advantage of the high risk and those who are less knowledgeable about their rights and unable to afford to fight to gain legal recompense. I really feel that an investigation should be launched into the claims processing practices of The General. I would be interested to see the number of "total losses" they are claiming as it relates to their account holders who file a claim.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

I was recently rear ended by someone that had The General for their insurance. I was injured in the accident and my car was totaled. It took me a week to get in touch with someone after the accident. I tried calling every other day. No one was ever available, all the voice mail boxes were full, and when I'd try the option to reach an operator it would say, "I'm sorry. The voice mail box for 2167 is full. Goodbye." Then it would hang up on me.

It has been 3 and a half months since the accident, and I am still dealing with The General. They have caused delays at every turn despite me being quick to respond and getting them the information they require. It has been an infuriating experience and I will never in my life even consider using them for my own insurance. Horrible, horrible company. Kersten from the Nashville office is particularly worthless and should be fired immediately.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

Being in the auto body industry. The General Insurance is the worst. Nothing is worse than these people. Just try calling up and filing a claim it takes over an hour. People on the phone don't know anything. Nobody knows nothing. Then when the adjuster finally comes and looks at the vehicle they dodged your call. They don't answer your telephone. They don't answer emails. It's been 45 days since they should have paid the claim on a vehicle we had finished. Just stay away from these people. Erie Insurance is a lot better.

Take a Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Permanent General Auto Insurance (PGAC) expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Permanent General Auto Insurance is a licensed agency that offers insurance in many states. They have been in business for over 50 years and recognized by A.M.

• Accepts drivers regardless of history: The General offers insurance for most drivers, even if they don't have a perfect driving record or have let their insurance lapse.

• Electronic payments: They make it easy to pay monthly bills online via their electronic platform.

• Low down payments: They keep their down payments low and affordable so that drivers can sign up for insurance, even if they don't have a lot of money upfront.

• Continuing to expand: The General is continuing to expand their coverage and has taken on new states such as West Virginia and Nebraska.

• Great customer service: The General has excellent customer service that makes it easy for drivers to contact a representative and settle claims.

• Best for: Drivers with a poor driving history and drivers who want a low down payment.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor

The General Auto Insurance Company Information

Permanent General Auto Insurance (PGAC)
    www.thegeneral.com