The General Auto Insurance

The General Auto Insurance Reviews

About The General Auto Insurance

The General specializes in auto coverage policies for drivers who are high risk or who have poor credit scores. It offers affordable car insurance with low down payments and is geared toward those who might struggle to find policy providers. The General writes auto policies in 44 states.

Pros & Cons

Pros
  • Affordable
  • Caters to high-risk drivers
  • Low down payments
Cons
  • Penalty for canceling early
  • Limited info on website

Featured Reviews

Verified
San Jose, CA

I found their website to be very easy to use. They were very helpful and very efficient in starting my policy. The woman I worked with online was very helpful and patient in helpi...

Verified
Minneapolis, MN

No other insurance company would help me... I didn't think I was going to be able to drive again until I called The General and they told me they would help me get back on the roa...

What is The General car insurance?

The General is a subsidiary of PGC Holding Corporation, which is an affiliate of American Family Insurance. The company provides auto insurance policies ideal for high-risk drivers and those with poor credit. Its coverage includes collision, comprehensive, liability, personal injury protection and roadside assistance options. It also offers SR-22 filing. Its coverage is available in 44 states.

How does The General work?

The General is known for its quick, easy and affordable online quotes, which help potential policyholders save time and money. It offers various policy and service options to suit drivers’ needs.

With the General, you can choose your desired coverage limits. Its restricted plans limit coverage to those specifically listed on your policy, and its medical payments insurance covers medical expenses for you or your family members affected by an automobile accident. Its additional protection options include uninsured motorist coverage and rental car insurance.

The General quotes and rates

With The General, you should be able to avoid surprise policy fees. It combines payment plans with electronic verification of your info and details about your vehicle when you purchase a policy. The company offers low down payments and affordable rates, and it accepts payment via credit card and electronic checks. It also provides split payment options.

Note that 10 percent of your unearned premium might be deducted if you cancel your policy early — however, this varies from state to state.

The General FAQ

Does The General have full coverage insurance?
Yes, The General does offer full coverage options. Each policy is different, though, so it's important to check the details of your plan if you need full coverage.
What states does The General cover?
The General writes policies in 44 states.
Does The General offer rental car coverage?
Yes, The General offers rental car coverage. Contact customer support to verify your policy includes this coverage.
Does The General do windshield repair?
Yes. The General offers windshield repair as part of its comprehensive coverage.

Is The General car insurance good?

Auto coverage from The General is a good option for high-risk drivers and those with low credit. Its plans are affordable, and you can get fast and easy quotes online. It also offers low down payments and split payment options. The General also provides full coverage, rental car, medical, personal injury protection and uninsured motorist insurance, among other policy options.

The General Auto Insurance Reviews

Stars Rating

• 23%
  • 31%
  • 18%
  • 4%
  • 24%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Permanent General Auto Insurance (PGAC)?

Customer Service

Reviewed July 22, 2024

I will keep it simple - they do not answer the phone - ever! They lie, transfer you to different depts., but a lot of effort into not helping you - it would be easier for them to just answer the phone. They make up reviews...

Price

Reviewed July 13, 2024

Insurance itself was decent, but we found better price with another company so when we transferred is when we ran into problems... The General insurance company is the worst unethical company to deal with. Now I have a collection due to their inaccuracy.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

CoveragePriceStaff

Reviewed July 9, 2024

I Really Like The General Auto Insurance. They are very nice and very patient. They gave me a affordable quote in the middle of the month. But I had to wait till I got my money from SSI, To accept this Insurance. Plus I had been looking for a 12 months policy for long time, and couldn't find one till I found out about the General. They were very kind, Convenient to process my Policy. I was really happy That finally I came across a Insurance that cared. You will not go wrong by picking The General.

Verified purchase
      Customer ServiceCoverageStaff

Reviewed June 6, 2024

This is by far the worst insurance company and my policy just started. We received a quote online for our Chevy Camaro and Malibu. Since the quote was lower than what we were currently paying we decided to go with The General. When it was time to make our first monthly payment we noticed that one of the listed vehicles were wrong. We looked further in the policy and noticed that the covered vehicle was a 2011 Chevy HHR with a totally different VIN from our 2011 Chevy Camaro. This means the entire time we have been driving our Chevy Camaro was not covered. Because we wanted more answers on how this could’ve happened we decided to call customer care and waited on hold for 45 min.

Once we were able to speak with a supervisor, she was very rude and abrasive when it came to answering questions regarding this complexed error. The supervisor at The General had the nerve to blame us for having the random vehicle and VIN-number on our policy. How could it be our fault if we do not have known, nor own the vehicle in question? We then asked the supervisor is it possible that the underwriting team could have made a mistake and she said “even if there was, an e-signature was done online”. Which that type of response, as soon as our time is up, we will not be renewing with The General. This is by far the worst experience we have ever had with a car insurance provider. New customers “SHOP ELSEWHERE”!!!!

Customer ServicePrice

Reviewed May 28, 2024

Worst Insurance company EVER. They mistakenly withdrew payment twice. 7 phone calls and 2 1/2 weeks for them to give back the money they stole. Every call was an answer of, "Nothing we can do. We know it was our mistake but will take a few more days to send the money back." They are thieves and liars. Even if you spend a little more, worth it. This company is a joke.

Coverage

Reviewed May 15, 2024

Beware if you have just liability insurance they will not cover anything that you are pulling. It doesn't matter if it is a horse trailer boat etc. It will not be cover. They will not insurance anything over 3500. It weighs too much to have comp and collision. The General needs to be put out of business.

Customer ServiceCoverage

Reviewed May 6, 2024

They were really nice and seemed professional when I initially called and gave me a quote of $115 the first month and $85 a month. After that. THEY LIED! It's $115 a month with always continued insurance, no tickets, no accidents for 30+ years. Customer service was incredibly rude and expected me to kiss their backside. I can and will get insurance a lot cheaper. The only reason I called them was because Progressive screwed me and I cancelled them immediately and needed insurance that day or go without which I won't do. I won't give them the time of day and have contacted my bank to stop any payment they may request.

Customer ServiceCoverage

Reviewed April 25, 2024

We added an additional vehicle and on the day we added it, we let The General know that we had a lienholder. Fast forward a month and the lienholder keeps bugging us about proof of coverage and getting a Declaration Page with them as Lienholder. On phone with The General and they state because I added a lienholder (made changes to my policy) it has now increased $66/month! That's ridiculous! It should have been on there from the start!

Customer ServicePriceStaff

Reviewed March 21, 2024

You're Roadside Assistance program clearly states that you provide 24/7 assistance to clients that actively pay for the option in their policy. I'm currently broke down in my vehicle on the side of the road, it's 2:36 am, 27' degrees and I called for help over 2 hours ago. I was told I would be contacted after a tow company was notified and that it was being expedited! After 1 hour and 15 mins with no call or text, I called you back. I was told it would be expedited immediately and they apologized for the delay. I waited another hour and just called back again, only to be told that they can't find anyone to provide help at this hour, and that I need to call back at 7 a.m. No I'm not joking, I'm serious! Lol .. I then asked if they could at least locate and contact a local Uber/Taxi to send my way or have contact me. The reply was "sorry sir, we don't those kinds of favors" LMBO...

I feel like I must be on the TV show 'Punk'd' because there is no way I pay for a service this bad, that I'm attempting to use for the first time! Especially not through 'The General'. To top it off, your operator asked if I would feel safe sleeping in my vehicle until 7am in the morning. Everyone has a bad experience, and nothing is perfect, I understand that! But to still be sitting here now, nearly 3 hours later, after my first call for help, I have to honestly say I'm truly shocked at this entire experience. I've made two calls on my own, the 2nd call to a tow company less than 20 mins from where I'm located. They contract with a vendor who provides response/recovery for 'The General' in these situations. The young lady that took my call is the night time dispatcher, and she has not received a call from 'The General' notifying her, or requesting service for a break down that involves a client. I thought about it and I'm not angry, I'm honestly relieved!

Relieved that it's just me sitting here, and my wife, kids or grandkids are not with me! You advertise and charge for a service that you truly can't provide! You can say the '24/7 assistance' pitch can be interpreted differently, and it absolutely can! But is that really the answer you want to give when the question is asked? AAA has never let me down in the past, and that's not taking a shot at 'The General's, but allowing myself to be persuaded to switch to 'The General' was an obvious mistake! I hope you'll receive enough feedback over time to change the foundation this program has been built on, to better reflect the name & reputation you claim to have built. I hope it gets turned around, and I hope you have a wonderful day! Cheers.

PriceOnline & App

Reviewed March 4, 2024

I was late on the first payment because the autopay didn't work. Then the cancelation wasn't clearly shown on the website. Also Progressive is like $100 cheaper. 0/5 would not recommend for first time car insurance buyers.

The General Auto Insurance Company Information

Permanent General Auto Insurance (PGAC)
      www.thegeneral.com