2. Automotive

The General Auto Insurance

The General Auto Insurance
Compare Quotes
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.92/5

The General Auto Insurance specializes in offering car insurance to high-risk drivers.

BOTTOM LINE

The General auto insurance covers high-risk drivers. Satisfied customers say it’s really easy to get an online quote and that the pricing is great. Reviewers say the customer service is excellent and prices are competitive.

PROS

• Offers SR-22 filing for drivers
  • Deductible waivers for glass
  • Affordable insurance for high-risk drivers

CONS

• No safe driver programs or discounts
  • Prices can be higher than competitors
The General Auto Insurance Compare Quotes

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

The General Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The General Auto Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Permanent General Auto Insurance (PGAC)?

Original review: July 14, 2020

I call because I receive a renewal with questions. The first representative was very rude & act like I was disturbing her by asking questions. So I will cancel policy. Will not be treated like that when you getting my hard earn money. Thank you. I was put on hold by 2nd representative but hung up. Decided this is not where I want to spend my money.

Original review: June 20, 2020

Updated on 05/23/2020: THIS IS AN UPDATE FROM the review posted on 6/20/2020: This update review is regarding my last encounter with one of their customer support agent. As I stated before, their customer support is horrible, but today I got very lucky and had the opportunity to speak with a wonderful gentleman, Mr. **. This was the first time ever that I had such a pleasant experience with a customer service agent from The General that I had to comment about his service. He was extremely helpful, knowledgeable, and professional. He was out of the norm of their usual unfriendly, easily irritated customer service agent. He was definitely way over qualified than their usual mediocre (at their best) to the straight out rude other customer service agents.

If I had spoken with him on that day discussing possible changes with my new vehicle, I definitely would have stayed, paying a lot more with The General than I am now with Geico, because I would not have had the determination to leave due to that above and beyond rude customer support agent. So for me I guess it was a good to get her, since it triggered me to finally search for a new insurance company after all those years of unsatisfactory service.

In conclusion, even though I left The General (due to their extremely rude customer service agent) I still felt the need to write a review about Mr. P., because he was the most amazing customer support agent I ever encountered and The General needs to know this, because they need a lot more like him and retrain most of their other agents if they want to survive. If The General is reading this review, it would be a wise thing to take note of the name P., because he is definitely one of their greatest customer service agent they have, and I would know because I have been with them for over 10 years and dealt with many of their agents throughout the years.

Original: I have been with the General (permanent general back then) for about over 10 years. Therefore, I know that the customer support agents are not that friendly. So, I never expect great or friendly service from them always. But, the customer support agent I dealt with today was above and beyond rude that I immediately called Geico and brought my business to them and finalized my membership and payment with Geico. I am very glad that I finally made the decision to leave The General and will no longer deal with their unfriendly and straight out rude and unprofessional Customer Support agents. The only reason why I still have the app with The General is to make sure I get my refund from the cancellation. After I receive my refund The General app will be deleted forever!

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
    Original review: June 9, 2020

If you set up payment for a date you have to pay it the day before. I payed my bill the day it was due now I face a 400 fine from my state for having relapse on insurance. They dont even offer vet's discounts for my state when other companies will.

Original review: June 2, 2020

Updated on 06/03/2020: So I posted a comment on one of their post about the price of their insurance. Basically the same as the review I put on here yesterday. Today I am blocked from commenting or messaging the general on Facebook for being honest about their rates and the extra cost of cancellations. So apparently if you don’t like the general and want to tell the truth they block you.

Original Review: I have a perfect driving record. My rate was almost $300/month. I paid my monthly premium 3 days before due date. I purchased a policy with a well known company that worked out to be less expensive with better coverage. I purchased the policy 2 days after the premium due date. I called to cancel and it cost me over $100 for two days of a monthly payment cycle. They say they break the rate down to a daily rate when you cancel but that can’t be true since I didn’t have to pay $1500/month. The rates are ridiculously high and it costs you to cancel at an even higher rate.

Original review: May 22, 2020

Charged my card without my knowledge and refused to resolve it via email, phone or chat on their site. This issue is still pending. Overall, terrible customer service experience with an untrustworthy company.

Original review: May 4, 2020

Never received noticed my insurance dropped me, I received an email 8 days after and didn’t get the “official mail” for almost two weeks after. They never sent me any notification and I was driving around without insurance for over a week; it could of gone very badly. Not happy.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2020

I saw the ad for the General on TV. I didn't feel like calling several Insurance companies and repeating all my info, so with the ad I had seen several times on TV, I decided to see how fast and affordable this company would be and to my surprise, it was fast, easy, and affordable. I had to send them proof of insurance before and a payment and I was done. All the paperwork you need for the General is on their site and it's self explanatory for what you need.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2020

I found their website to be very easy to use. They were very helpful and very efficient in starting my policy. The woman I worked with online was very helpful and patient in helping me submit all the necessary paper work.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

This insurance company is the worst! They are not timely as they claim to be - my car was hit, not my fault, I have been without a car for over a month - they take forever to get anything processed and refuse to represent your best interest to the other insurance company...I recommend you do not get this insurance!!!!!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

I purchased the auto policy 2 days ago then I read the reviews. Boy was I a sucker. They took my 227 ambe. Won't give it back. That's ok. They will end giving it back 'cause I'm filing papers. They cover nothing if someone or I get into an accident. This company is worthless and apparently they don't understand English either. I have a perfect driving record for dealing with stupid morons like this. WILL NEVER RECOMMEND.

Permanent General Auto Insurance (PGAC) author review by Matthew Brodsky

This insurance company provides good options for drivers perceived as being higher risk for coverage, including young drivers and those with poor driving histories. The annual cost for a 21-year-old male who has had an accident is about $4,000 a year. This may be expensive, but other companies can charge nearly $6,000 a year.

• Coverage and plans: Compared with other car insurance companies, The General offers limited coverage options. Besides basic coverage, The General has the following optional coverage: rental reimbursement, 24/7 roadside assistance, coverage for custom equipment and deductible waivers for safety equipment.

• Cost: The average cost for a 45-year-old female with The General is about $900 a year.

• Discounts: The General has discounts for homeowners, upfront payment, previous insurance and multivehicle policies.

• Standout feature: The General has good rates for high-risk drivers.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor

The General Auto Insurance Company Information

Permanent General Auto Insurance (PGAC)
    www.thegeneral.com