The General Auto Insurance

Compare Auto Insurance Companies

Research top Auto Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I canceled my policy as soon (2 days later) I received it by mail, because they completely changed it. I was paying too much for just a Liability thinking it was full coverage. They charged me 135.00 cancellation fee. This is the worst insurance company ever. Stay away from them.

First off, a payment due date is the day it is due, not the day you are canceled for nonpayment, this is ridiculous!! And second, my due date is today, I made a payment yesterday and when I logged in this morning, it states that I was cancelled due to nonpayment, I even have the confirmation email, this company is the worst and I will be shopping for other insurance.

I got in a tc in 2014 and it was completely not my fault. Got a new car and took off my old one on my insurance. My rate went down I'm assuming due to it being a safer car, then my renewal came up and my rate went way up almost twice the amount. I then contacted them and they told me I was marked as a at fault accident then I told them it wasn't my fault and I had the report. They told me to send it in. It took me awhile to get it and I couldn't scan it so I had to find a place to fax it.

It took well over two weeks for them to even get back to me so I called and immediately she said my claim was being processed and my policy rewritten and after that I checked my policy and it showed it was in underwriting which it didn't even hours before. It took them a couple of days then I got only $142 out of over 600 I was owed nor did I see the money for the report or fax I paid for so I contacted them again and they sent me a billing history that was written intentionally to confuse, that doesn't cover the whole time frame and has a bunch of ambiguous fees and its been over two weeks and many contacts later and I've gotten nothing but silence.

Ever since I transferred my insurance with The General from old car to new car I've had nothing but problems. My NYS registration has been suspended numerous times due to The General not doing their job right by not labeling transactions properly. When I switched coverage to new vehicle they canceled my insurance and restarted a new policy on new car. They should've transferred coverage but because they didn't it showed in the DMV system as me having a cancellation. It literally took 3 months to get that fixed, during which time I got pulled over, ticketed for driving on suspended registration, and my car got impounded.

Fast forward to today January 3, 2017. I once again have a suspension notice due to cancellation of insurance. I noticed in November my insurance was canceled even though I paid $300 on my policy which would almost pay it off and not have to worry about paying it for a few months. I called The General where it took the rep 20 mins to finally see I electronically sent a check. Rep says it was never processed and I said, "That is not my responsibility." He finally states I'm all set and covered.

Now today I have the same problem from the same payment issue. They told me they will get back to me in 24 hrs. They called me about an hour later asking if I have anything showing I paid, so I sent them the email confirmation. They said that doesn't prove that my bank paid it out. Hmmm, let's see here, I don't have any bounced checks so either someone took the money or they forgot to cash the check. It's not my responsibility to cash the check for them too. Don't use this insurance, or you'll be sure to have problems.

First issue is that they will not total out my car which is valued less than 7000 and repairs was over 6200. Second issue is I received notice yesterday that my monthly premium went from 167 to 553 based on the accident. This is not the deductible. This is now my monthly payment which is insane.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Permanent General Auto Insurance (PGAC)?

This company is the absolute worst. They say they're cheap. I never tried them and glad I didn't. I guess you get what you pay for. On 10/20 I was involved in a accident for the first time. They kept giving me the runarounds about waiting on the report them we will investigate and call you back. I never received a report myself so I went to police station and got a crash report # when I called today they advised me they ruled it wasn't their driver's fault and when I asked how is that when you haven't investigated or came to look at the car like you said. Conveniently I was asked to hold and hung up on. Company should not be in business. I don't know why I have to put a star.

I will never use The General again! Due to an error on their part my policy was cancelled. I called them to get it figured out and all they could say was "We cannot reinstate your policy. You will have to start all over with us." I said, "Oh so this way you get more money out of me" and the lady said yes that's correct. I live in Kansas and once you have no insurance they suspend your registration and plates. So, thanks to The General I now have to pay for new insurance and must pay to get my plates and registration reinstated!! They are costing me a lot of money for their mistake!! Please do not ever use them!!

I would not refer anyone to Direct General Auto Insurance. I was a long time customer but when my insurance cancelled in error and I tried to reinstate it was not a problem. However, I was able to find another company who gave me a better rate. So I had insurance for 2 days and cancel to go with the better rate pay over $300 as a down payment. Now they are being crooks and refunding only 150 for 2 days. I called and no one can explain to me where my money went. It took 2 months to get a refund and I ask for a breakdown and still have not received a billing breakdown.

WHEN I SAY CROOKS I MEAN CROOKS. I will continue to tell everyone and anyone how Direct General is not a good company to conduct business with or get insurance from. And can you believe I am still trying to speak to someone for the remainder of my money. I was told finance department don't speak to customers but the call center reps and their managers & supervisors have no clue how to explain or assist me. Next step which I don't wanna do may be getting an attorney. And think if they did a long time customer what you think they will do to a new customer. So don't waste your time. I hope I can help someone who is looking around.

I used to have The General Auto Insurance. I was at a small accident that I hit another car and the insurance doesn't want to pay his claim. So now I have to pay him out of my pocket then what is the insurance for? Please get a different insurance.

My son was in an accident with someone who was insured by the general. They pulled across a 4 lane intersection right in front of my son from a side road. The general has fought us tooth and nail refusing to pay the claim. My son's car was totaled and it's been over a month of phone calls and they have not compensated him for his loss of vehicle or for a rental car. After a month they finally said they would not pay the claim because if he's even 1% liable they don't have to pay the claim. These people are dishonest and do not intend to ever pay claims. We have a police report and a signed witness stating that their client was entirely at fault.

I was involved in a single car accident on 09/30. They took forever to decide if my car was repairable. I finally got a call 10/28 that my car would be a total loss. Here it is now 11/05 and I have not received any kind of paper work to close my claim. My car is financed so I keep getting calls from my finance CO. regarding the time frame to have my loan paid. Late fee after late fee I'm occurring. Do not get insurance with this shady company!! You'll wait forever to see anything.

I have State Farm insurance and a lady that just had open heart surgery rear ended me. I have had the most horrible time with the representative. She has an attitude and always saying it is none of her concern. I had problems with one of my checks trying to go to Bank of America to cash it to get my car fixed. The check was scanned as fraud and I asked her to reissue another check and she asked why I was cashing the check anyway and that there was nothing she could do. Eventually I did get another check and the bank had to type it in. I did speak to a corporate woman and she was very nice.

I work with the public and if I had her attitude I would have been out the door. I'm trying to figure out how in the world she still employed. It has now came to the time for my payout and she said they can not give me no more than $300. And that is including my $130 medical bill that has not been paid. She said their company does not pay the insurance company. I have to pay them myself with the $300, so therefore I am getting a total of $170 for pain and suffering. And she didn't say anything about my lost wages for being out 1 day of work.

I am so thankful for State Farm. I never thought I would love them so much after having a hassle with this insurance company. That does not include any of my lost wages. She said because there was minimal damage to my car there is nothing else she could do. That lady hit the hell out of my car and they replace the bumper on my car. I was still hurt and still hurt sometimes and I bit my lip when she hit me.

Customer service sucks. The rep messed up on my policy which in turn got it canceled which then led to me receiving lapse in coverage and now forced to pay a 500$ fee to the dmv for non coverage. Spoke to multiple people to try and get this resolved with no luck. Do not waste your money here. They are crooks.

October 9th I was rear ended, my passenger was injured. I was told by a rep of The General that they would handle the claim. As of October 14th I got a letter from The General denying my claim. Guessing I rear ended myself. Don't understand what the ** I'm paying insurance for.

I was hit by my parked car and the person had General Insurance so I had called their 800 number which did not worked. So I called their broker and the person answered the call spoke very broken English and after calling them for 10 days they finally gave me the claim number and I was told that somebody from General Insurance will call me next week. And nobody called me after few weeks so I had to call my own insurance. Wow, I never such a bad company and I am glad that I have a insurance from Allstate. Shame on you General Insurance because this is very unethical and I wonder why you are still in business. I can also wonder you have a broker who does not speak English and run your business.

They are the worse company to deal with. I moved five miles away so happens at the end of my policy. So I was up for renewal. Their system generates bills like 30 days in advance. So naturally these dumb ** quoted me for the old neighborhood. I didn't realize and paid the amount owed. Well when my address updated one would think they would just adjust the bill. It showed no adjustment to the amount previously paid by me just a whole nother high quote. I called about this at that time. They then told me, "No worries. We will just ask for the difference owed" and I'd be good to go. I paid that. Then before we hung up they all of a sudden said my address is coming up as an area they don't cover, but again, "No worries, we'll take care of it."

Mind you they knew I moved 30 days ago and gave me another price accepted my payments twice. It's been a week my old policy ended at midnight. They say I'm covered right now lol but after paying 100 my bill online still shows as I owe 95. I don't even know where they got that number from. They said the only way to get out of this is to fax them a letter. I don't want another chore on my only day off, but something has to give. It seems illegal what they have me stuck in right now. To top it off when I look at my driving record on the site it has the years wrong on the offences. When you call the people are so rude too. It's not like I'm calling with a claim. Just trying to get my coverage straight.

If you're desperate for auto insurance because of low credit or bad driving history take the higher rates through other companies as it will cause you less of a headache than dealing with the General. I've had this insurance for less than six months and have zero intentions of renewing their policy due to constant cancellation notices being issued after 12:01 on the payment date. They give a date and expect payment before the first minute of the date shown on your statement if you pay even early morning your policy will still cancel and reflect as a lapse of insurance for each cancellation; not to mention the difficulty of getting your due date changed to suit their idiotic billing cycles. Likely I will never use this insurance company again and urge anyone who has thought about them to turn the other direction as this company is the absolute worst.

The worst, absolutely the worst car insurance experience I have ever had. I have had them for 8 years and never needed anything from them just feeding them my money. Got in an accident last week, when a stupid person ran into me, not paying attention that everyone was stopped at a red light. He just so happened to have The General as well. Well, let me tell you it has been a complete nightmare even getting ahold of anyone!!!

First they messed up and filed the claim under my own policy, when I specifically asked them to make sure they were not doing that at least 3 times!!! Every time I call no one knows anything about anything and it is always starting from scratch. Last I talked to someone was 5 days ago and they reassured me they had filed a claim on the other person's policy and someone will be contacting me by Friday. Well today is almost Tuesday and I have heard absolutely nothing from anyone!

Try to call their claims department and all you will get is a voicemail, their customer service reps know nothing as they state they have nothing to do with claims so once again you are transferred to a voicemail and no one ever calls you back! I have left messages for claim adjusters and supervisors... nothing! Tomorrow I am finally contacting my lawyer and I am also filing a complaint with the BBB and needless to say I am taking my business elsewhere. Oh, they are also extremely rude, especially one woman there who is a claim adjuster named Krystal **. I have recorded all my conversation with her and I will be sending it to my attorney as well. Do yourself a favor and stay away from these people! DO NOT GET A POLICY WITH THEM!!!

All I can say at this point is, this company is the Prime reason why people distrust insurance company. I have been driving since I was 16 and have never had been in a serious accident were I needed to contact my insurance company. In May of 2016 I was rear ended and injured. I could not get in touch with the claims department for about a week. It was severe hold time and once you spoke to someone they would transfer and disconnect you or you would have to leave dozens of messages.

The General Insurance company has made this experience the worst. Their main goal is to be sure there is no monies coming out of their company. Once I tried to leave the company, I found out that they reported to BMV that the accident was my fault, which made my new quote for insurance go up an additional $100.00. I found it very disturbing that many of these low rate companies work with each to control the car insurance market. Advice to readers, double check fine prints on these sites. American Family Insurance is part of The General Insurance. Many of these companies are doing false advertisement. Beware!! And hope you don't have to call your insurance company. Most do not have their customer's best interest.

First let me say that the commercials are overrated! It is not cheaper than other insurances companies. I signed up last year and my payments were 179 per month. In one year they charged me for my premium and changed my plan and charged my credit card for over 700 dollars. I called them and they told me that I was the one that changed my plan to charge my cc. I argued with them and 30 days later I received a letter that I need to pay for my month charges. And I didn't have insurance.

I am freshly out of a severe domestic relationship & have fled my abuser as my new independence & safety was just stolen by the general insurance fraudulent company!!! I had to pay a couple of old fines & get sr22 insurance to reinstate my license. I went through 4 different steps, paying over $800, just for them to steal my 2nd mo's payment of $100 & then cancel my coverage @ week later but not without immediately informing the DMV, resulting in me unknowingly driving suspended for the last 10 days!!!

If I get another $800 driving w-o privileges, I will most likely get my license taken! All of that $ paid to get my license, now I am unable to even drive to my new job, making $16 an hr. Completely extinguishing my chances of survival for my animals & myself as I live on a farm out in the country & work is 12 MI. Away, one way & cops everywhere! They have finished me!!!

The day, one commits suicide from their whole means of survival being diminished, stolen, toyed with by a bunch of vile demons, they will be finished! Saw another woman's ad, she was crying because her husband cannot drive to work anymore because of these thieves! I don't have a lot of $$$ but I am suing!!! E-mail me @ ** Let's start a suit now!!!

They gave me 20 different quotes: 66 to 300. I tried to call them and they are rude and they don't help you at all and every buddy I talked to that had it said they gave them run around. If you need to be covered go somewhere else.

Cancelled 2 wks before insurance bill was due. Was charged almost $200 for leaving them. Representative went on to tell me it was like a cell phone contract "If you terminate before the contract is due you get charged an early termination fee. Same deal, it's in the contract." I'm like the whole reason I ended it was because I was paying more than my car payment. So they felt I should pay them what I was saving? What's worse it goes on your credit report if you don't pay. I don't recommend them to anyone after this!

I purchased insurance with The General for my son's car that's in my name. After being unable to download insurance cards like you are told you will be able to, I wound up having to just add the car to my own policy at State Farm. The cost for over month was $84 and some change. After being unable to even use it for what I needed it for, which was the very next morning, I started trying to call. I was on hold for an hour at a time, I was hung up on several times, so my next attempt was to try a online chat.

First time, I couldn't get anyone to even respond, next time it said it was down and I could send a message, which I did. I told them to cancel it, to call me, to talk about it and still nothing!!! Then today I had enough! I called the 800 General number and instead of choosing I have a policy already, I chose that I wanted to purchase a policy. Guess what? I was answered immediately! She then told me she was in sales but would send me over to customer service. That took about 25 mins.

I finally have someone to help and she tells me that my refund will be a whopping $26 freaking dollars out of $84 for what should have been one day of coverage! Even if it were a week, how could they pro-rate it and come up with $26? I will tell you how! The crooks charged me $41 to cancel the worthless policy then prorated it a week which was not suppose to even be a week! Don't go with this company unless you have absolutely no other alternative and then just consider maybe taking a bus or getting a bike, or horse because they will take your money! I'm sure I probably won't even see the $26! And wouldn't be surprised if the monthly installment is taken out next month. This place shouldn't be in business at all!

I got car insurance through The General back in April when I purchased a vehicle. Come to find out they jack your rates up after you purchase a policy. The monthly cost was more than my car payment was. I found a cheaper car insurance company with way better coverage and more trustworthy in my opinion. Please stay far away from this company. They are crooks and dishonest. I don't know why they are still in business. Their customer service is horrible and rude and condescending. Buyer beware!! There are better reputable car insurance companies out there. Run far away from The General.

My daughter was in an accident. The other driver insured by The General was ticketed. Long story short The General advised no coverage due to non-cooperation from the insured. AND in my opinion added a threating note stating: "Any person who knowingly presents a false or fraudulent claim for the payment of a loss is guilty of a crime and may be subject to fines and confinement in state prison." No court or judge is needed based on their comment. The General appears guilty of not paying for damages due to their lack of effort in contacting their insured client and nothing else in my opinion. I hope Shaq stops his endorsements with regards to this outfit before his good name is damaged by The General.

Got insurance with The General June 18th. Kept receiving cancellation notices and my payment was not due until July 18th. The General took my premium payment on July 16th and cancelled me July 19th because of 3 different claims that I reported on my application. Not sure if they are going to give me my money back and now I need to buy insurance with another company. They are stealing people's money by doing this. Please do not buy insurance from this company. I forgot to check the reviews before buying. Dishonest company. We need to get together and hire an attorney.

My son's car was hit by one of their clients. Their client received a ticket. The company denied my son's claim and can't give a reason why. I spoke to numerous supervisors who would just hang up on me. Bunch of idiots.

I had one of their insured hit my vehicle in a parking lot and when trying to deal with my adjuster got passed around. In damage negotiations I was unsure if ALL of the bills had been paid so I kept calling. I never got a return call and when I finally got an agent they were very nasty and unaccommodating. This company seems to employ females of color who have serious customer service issues. It is alleged that they only insure the undesirables and I would never consider becoming a customer.

These people are so stupid. I don't know what possessed me to sign up with them. Twice! I get a "Notice With Intent to Cancel" 11 days before my premium is due, and they send me at least three "reminder cancellations" at least three times a month. My premium is due on the 30th of every month and I pay it on the 29th of every month. They cancel it on the 30th, then send me a "reinstatement" on the 1st, like they've done me some huge favor. It's my own fault for staying with them as long as I did, but they are seriously so incompetent, I don't know how they stay afloat. I wouldn't recommend this insurance to Satan himself.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Permanent General Auto Insurance is a licensed insurance agency that offers insurance in many states. They have been in business for over 50 years and have been recognized by A.M. Best for their financial stability.

• Accepts drivers regardless of history: The General offers insurance for most drivers, even if they don't have a perfect driving record or have let their insurance lapse.
  • Electronic payments: They make it easy to pay monthly bills online via their electronic platform.
  • Low down payments: They keep their down payments low and affordable so that drivers can sign up for insurance, even if they don't have a lot of money upfront.
  • Continuing to expand: The General is continuing to expand their coverage and has taken on new states such as West Virginia and Nebraska.
  • Great customer service: The General has excellent customer service that makes it easy for drivers to contact a representative and settle claims.
  • Best for Drivers with a poor driving history and drivers who want a low down payment.

Compare Auto Insurance

The General Auto Insurance Company Profile

Permanent General Auto Insurance (PGAC)