Call toll free*
Based on 65 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Call toll free
It's that easy*

ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

The General Auto Insurance specializes in offering car insurance to high-risk drivers. The General is a verified carrier for InsuraMatch–which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. For free auto insurance quotes from The General and other verified carriers, call InsuraMatch today.

Last updated: April 19, 2018

303 The General Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 19, 2018

First off I watched the commercials that came on TV and I was very drawn to them. When I started out I did a low payment and within two weeks they added additional charges to my account, and the following 2 weeks after that before I could even get a hold month in. My premiums went up so at that time during the second month I wanted to cancel it.

So I found another insurance company that would take me on and when I told The General about it a few weeks before my next payment was due. They didn't like that so they contacted the DMV and told them that I was driving without insurance which was not true and that penalize me for the whole year where I had to pay a huge amount of money every month for a year. Because of what general insurance did to me by lying and stating that I was driving without insurance and this is how they do you when you cancel your account with them. They will report you as driving with no insurance and that was a lie! I had bought insurance very early to keep from dealing with them another month so don't get this insurance or you will be very disappointed!!!

Original review: April 10, 2018

I'll be brief and to the point. I provided this company with my information multiple times, which you would think would ensure accuracy. This was not the case here. My sister and mother were supposed to be included in my policy, but they were never added, only their vehicles were included. When I provided their information for the third time since the initial call, the following month my premium had increased by $200. When I called to ask for an explanation on the increase, I was informed they had never actually been added to the policy, meaning they were paying part of the bill for months, but were never actually covered under the policy; and we had no idea because we thought providing their names, birth dates and license numbers meant they were added to the policy from the start. Silly us!

When I spoke to a manager after the third issue I had with them, she made no attempt to offer me any sort of solution and was more than happy to process my cancellation. I guess The General has so many happy customers, they don't really need another one. Although that would be easier to believe if this site wasn't flooded with negative reviews and 1-star ratings (only because you can't give no stars). Conclusion, save yourself the headache and waste of time and find a different insurance company. There's plenty of much better options out there for us.

Get expert buying tips about Auto Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 3, 2018

This company is a joke. I would not give them half a star let alone one full star but in order to review I had to. To make a long story short, I paid my insurance on time every month and when I needed them most I was SOL. I had a collision, made a claim and was then denied because Mike Conley Appraisals did not do a proper inspection of my vehicle. Called several times just to be ignored and sent to voicemail. My advice: Run as fast as you can AWAY from this insurance company.

Original review: March 28, 2018

My partner's car was parked in valet in my apartment building and a staff Member who was off work backed into my parked car... He was insured by General Auto. To fix my car door I was quoted by their body shop $10K... They refused to pay that much and the argument with body shop has gone on for 2 months! That’s me without a car for 2 months... They even argued about who was liable. This is a shady dodgy insurance company with crap policies. The building management won’t take responsibility because the guy was off work on his way home... It’s been a nightmare! The General insurance have sent very confusing letters, saying they won’t pay anything, they don’t accept liability, so they’ll pay $1,500 and we have to find the rest. It’s completely insane.

Original review: March 26, 2018

Reading the reviews on here I am shocked. I expected a horrible experience after my truck was t-boned, and finding this site, however I didn't. Reporting the claim was easy, my claims rep was fast and efficient in getting everything taken care of. My car loan was paid off and I was paid the difference all before we even found that the other driver didn't have coverage. So I was reimbursed my deductible rather quickly. So far the uninsured motorist claim I have in for medical bills is going ok. I didn't expect it to be fast, but it is moving along. I've experienced nothing but great customer service each time I call in. What I hate the most would be the hold times. Other than that, they are affordable and so far to me have been a good service. I would recommend.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Permanent General Auto Insurance (PGAC)?

Original review: March 21, 2018

I've been there for 4 months now and I have never dealt with so many issues. The phone number on my agents email was wrong, they don't contact you when important account changes happen (unless you count paper mail which is slow and annoying to deal with). The people on the phones are alright at best and I've had nothing but issues trying to resolve simple things like annual mileage, the reply time on the email side is...well I'm at 10 days right now, then it took me a while to find a contact number (after I called the number on the email signature it took me to some other company where the lady explained that "this happens all the time because they give the wrong numbers out").

The other issue I have is that if you are late on a payment (not late but past due, where you have a grace period) they immediately send out account cancellation notices which take a week to arrive, so you call to figure out what happens and they say, "Oh it's all resolved it's just old paper mail" but...of course the phone number is incorrect so I have to go find it online first after trying and failing once.

I switched from AAA just because it was pricey but it's totally worth it. I asked a manager to contact me from the general and I have not heard back. I can only imagine the going through claims. Don't bother with them. The price may be attractive but it's not really worth the headaches. One star for service for those reasons. Value gets a two for just being somewhat less expensive (although it really isn't they just charge you 12 months instead of 10 at a time). Coverage...well they keep almost canceling me for things like insufficient mileage letters (which isn't all their fault) but they don't inform me of this problem except for paper mail which takes a week.

Original review: March 16, 2018

Was rear ended by out of state driver with The GENERAL. Driver was on phone, seen in rear view mirror. He wanted to just bump and go. I requested his card and exchange of info. I contacted his company and generated a claim. Someone from company came out to look at damage. I tried to get car win with rental and have been pushed around because this happened out of state. All I want is to fix car not the added aggravation of a crappy insurance company. I called my lawyer. Tired of being rear ended by old men on their cell phones.

Original review: March 14, 2018

Customer Service is horrible. The moment you start questioning anything that they do, they get extremely rude, and hateful. I asked to speak to supervisor, then got a half ** explanation from the supervisor, all while this supervisor is being extremely rude. I asked to speak to her boss, she refused to transfer me. I told her she was extremely rude, and her customer service was horrible, she said she didn't care, and still would not transfer me to her boss. The whole reason for the call was that I paid a bill, website account said I was current, 2 weeks later get a letter in the mail saying that I have until the 20th to pay almost $400 or my policy would be canceled. No one in their call center was helpful at all, and like I said the supervisor and the rep were extremely rude, and constantly tried to talk over you.

Original review: March 6, 2018

This company is a RIPOFF... I set up a policy that closed 2 weeks later. I was told my downpayment only insured me for a couple of days and then I still owed for that month. The girl talked so fast I barely got a word in edgewise... And her explanation made no sense at all. You could tell she was scripted to basically go in circles with the customer: and had no confidence in what she was saying herself.

Original review: March 5, 2018

This has been the worst customer experience of our lives. Bob was supposed to handle our total loss claim from back in Dec. Said it'll take 2-4 wks and not to worry about the next car payment because it would be handled by then. He lied flat out and proceeded to drag this out for 4 long months. On top of that I tried to report him to a supervisor for his bungling of this and all the supervisor did was defend him and try to spin it like somehow we were in the wrong. Now I've had to make 3 payments on a car that was totaled in Dec and I have a family to provide for so I can't afford to keep paying for his lazy screw-up. Along with everything else he won't call the lien holder and work with them, tells me he can't get in touch, and I have to do his work for him. This is so beyond lazy and incompetent that my mind is blown that he still has a job. If I performed this poorly at work I'd be let go instantly.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

I opened my policy about 6 months ago and was told roadside assistance was included in my policy. Well, last night I was stranded on the side of the freeway with a flat tire. After an hour and a half of being on hold, I was told by their roadside assistance company that I am not covered. When I called today, they told me that they do not even offer roadside assistance in California. Ha, liars, I was told that roadside was included. I pay 200.00 dollars a month and can't even get a tow. ** company with horrible customer service and they lie about your coverage to get you started on a policy. I have been driving for 25 years and have never not had roadside insurance... THEY SUCK. GO ANYWHERE BUT HERE.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

This insurance is the biggest ** ripoff and the worst customer service. Had them for over a year and my insurance went up, asked why all they could tell me was that’s the new quote. Got in a car accident and these dumbasses don’t want to pay for my car!!! Lawsuit is in order as we speak!!!! DON'T INSURE WITH THESE JANKY ** PEOPLE!!!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

Their pricing is ridiculous! No matter how desperate you are, look around. I found even better insurance for almost half the price The General was charging me through an insurance agent. I have full coverage for my brand new car at almost HALF the price.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

We have had The General for 4+ years. Prices just kept going up. We just switched to Progressive and our rate dropped $140 a month! When I just called to cancel, they had the nerve to charge a cancellation fee and wouldn’t credit back any of this month's payment. We have never even filed a claimed with them. They have received over $12k from us since using them. What a TERRIBLE experience. Never ever again!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I have only had insurance thru The General for a year. I have 2 cars insured with them and my original quote was $97 a month for both which I paid for the year. When it came time to renew, I, all of a sudden, went from $97 a month to $131 with no explanation. No accidents, no tickets and still a rate increase of over 30 dollars. When I contacted them to find out why the increase, they were rude, gave no explanation that made any sense. Twice I called and twice the same rudeness and lack of reasonable reason for such an increase. I will find another carrier and would not recommend The General to anyone, period.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018 I'm a consumer, have good credit and have no accidents and have been with several insurance companies because I always shop around for a good deal. When Allstate rewarded me $100 in one hand and raised my 6 month premium $120, I decided to use "The General" for the first time as it saved us $20/month.

Worst insurance experience ever. Thankfully it only lasted 6 months. Let's face it, you don't contact your auto insurer too often, BUT when you do you expect prompt, courteous, and competent service and 24/7 help.

Don't expect this with The General. The staff seem be work from home employees who are untrained, un-knowledgeable, who will lie to you to get you off the phone, or out of the online chat. If you get a supervisor, they are not customer service oriented at all, just plain rude and unhelpful and do not follow through with promises.

So if you want to save a few bucks, and never deal with them go ahead, but I prefer a company that treats the buyer with respect. And FYI read the small print, I have never been with an insurer that charges a 10% penalty to cancel a policy because we were unhappy. Guess that's how they pay for the Shaq. You get what you pay for! Hands down the worst Insurance company in my 30 years of having car insurance.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I was a customer of The General. I Canceled my policy on Dec 14, 2017. They mailed me a check that they canceled before I had even received it. I call back. They issue me another check telling me they canceled the check because I had changed my address. I get the second check in the mail and try to cash it. They had also canceled the second check as well. Here it is the end of Jan.2018 and I still have not gotten my money back. Now they are telling me that they have to make sure that the second check they sent me has not been cashed. It's a bunch of **. They were probably upset that I had canceled my policy. I will never again do business with them. In two more weeks it will be 2 months that I have been trying to get my money back.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

The General representative I spoke with was so eager that she spoke so fast that I could barely grasp or understand what she was talking about. If a person is applying for coverage for the 1st time it's like seeing another language. I'd suggest the representative speak clearly & slowly. Taking time to give an explanation in layman terms other than just categories percentages and monetary values. Just speak English.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

The first problem The quote was very high. I have a clean driver record. Then they went up on the already High rate I am already paying when I cancel their ass then they told me I have to a 10% fee for a 45 day premium on the 6 month amount that comes up to $291.00. This is something they don’t tell you it in small print. And I never filed any claim with them. I don’t drive the car but; times out of a month all this was told to them when I picked up their insurance.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I have The General Auto Insurance as of current and back in November I hit a deer. So I make a claim and everything is good. Joe ** (the adjuster) calls me back and they send a check for 3 thousand something dollars which is two thousand cheaper than the car shop's quote. I get a call from the car shop telling me my quote had used parts on it which they do not make for my car. I have a Cadillac CTS-V. So no problem. He calls them and I call them. Joe ** didn’t call him back for two weeks and when he tried to get ahold of his supervisor he was told it’s not in his hands. So this repairman had been fighting with them for two weeks to get my car fixed.

Now I’m really ticked off. I’ve been without a car for two going on three months now and my so called adjuster has fallen off the face of the earth and won’t call back. Not only that, the places that they quoted for the “used” parts aren’t there and they don’t have used parts for my car!! So now I’ve been paying 408 dollars a month for “car insurance” that can’t seem to understand the fact that my car needs new parts. I called Mr. ** yesterday within his “work hours” which are 10 am to 5 pm (ridiculous, I know!) Pacific time and still haven’t had a callback. The general also said they will not make any payments for aftermarket parts which is the next option since no used parts, until my car is in the shop and broken down ready to be repaired, but if they do that I’ll be waiting months for my car and who knows if they’ll even pay!!

Do not get The General Auto Insurance and be blinded by their low payments which is the reason why I chose them. They are a hassle to work with. My car still isn’t fixed, still no callback. I’ve been paying 408 dollars a month for a little over 1 year and they will not work with me or my choice of shop to get my car fixed. Now I thought when you paid for services that you get said services. I will be calling today and talking to whoever I can to get this done and if not then I hope they give me back my money since they can’t fix my car and I can move on to better, real car insurance. Bottom line: don’t use The General for car insurance, they are insurance brokers who rip people off like me.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

This insurance is overpriced. I found another policy for half of what The General charged me. I canceled my plan within the first 5 days of having it. I was hit with so many fees I basically paid them for NOTHING! Don't waste your time or money.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

My current experience with this terrible insurance company is exactly like Donnette of Chetek, WI and so many others I've read about. My husband's parked vehicle was hit and run by an insured of The General. The insured's car (driven by his girlfriend and followed by him in another car) was totalled and he left it. He lied to the police and even stalked my husband. Police discovered that he had this insurance. We filed the claim gave all info to Jillian the adjustor who until she stopped returning calls was pleasant.

I received a vague letter denying the claim with no explanation. Today I sat on hold again for 45 minutes just to be told by another claims adjustor that she could only give a message to Jillian and that I could not talk to a supervisor because they were out to lunch. Really?! I don't expect to ever hear back from them. Will call my insurance company and will no doubt be in small claims court soon. This company should be put out of business! Why would Shaquille O'Neal put his reputation on the line for this place?

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

They steal your money then send a bill to collections claiming you owe them. In reality they owe you 177 dollars. They never refunded then say you owe them 124. Crooked company should be investigated for fraud.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

I was with them for roughly 1 year 8 months with a two car policy, the rates are low which was attractive to me at the time. I have gone through two claims, one of which they refused to cover damages that were caused by the accident on the wheel bearing and caliper. After months and eventually over a year of stress over the issues my car was having I had to pay over $2000 in repairs because the company that repaired the car only did the body work and failed to do their job to check on the work that was needed. I had to replace my rotors 7 times in 4 months since the wheel hub and bearing were damaged from the accident and the caliper was hanging which they also did not fix. I called and emailed my adjuster consistently for months with no regard or responses. I had to pay $2000 in repairs myself.

I sold that car. Tried to remove it from my policy and they tried to say that my policy was going to INCREASE instead of decrease. The car I was removing was more than DOUBLE the price of the car that was staying on the policy and yet my policy would increase. I called them about it and they confirmed that it would increased and I asked to cancel my policy and he gave me attitude over the phone and seemed determined to cancel it. He said, “There. Canceled.” I said, “Okay thank you” and without saying bye he hung up on me. Never again. I decided to go with Progressive insurance with a lower rate and better customer service.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

I recently discovered that every year I have been paying almost 200.00 more a year than the amount of my policy, this is unlawful, I have a clean driving record and yet paying over 1500 a year. If anyone else is finding this should report it immediately.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

Had fender bender, gave my insurance info to the other driver, cannot get any payment from these jerks, claim submitted in August and now it is December. With lie after lie to blow us off and waste time hoping we will forget it and get tired of calling! Sorry ** company!!!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

On October 1, 2017 I was heading to Stony Point NC to go horseback riding which I do most weekends. It is about an hour and 20 minutes from my home and it was approx. 8:30 am. The highway is 4 lanes and I was in one of the left lanes and put on my directional to move into the far left lane because I had 30 plus miles before my exit. There was a man driving a 2003 burgundy Chevy Tahoe about 3 car lengths back giving me more than enough room to move over. My directional must have aggravated him because he FLOORED it to prevent me from moving over. I had just begun to move over when he ran into the back of my 2015 Sorento at probably 80 mph knocking me forward and as I move immediately back into the other lane then over to the breakdown lane on the right side of the highway.

I got out to inspect the damage and wiped down the side of my car to assess the damage. The man in the Tahoe videotaped me and emailed it to my insurance company. The highway patrol who responded was extremely rude and aggressive and told me to stay in my car or he was going to take me to jail. The police report is written with only one point of view which states that I made an unsafe lane change. Merged into the side of the Tahoe forcing him into the concrete barrier on the side of the road. I was unable to take pictures because the cop would not let me out of my car. I requested the photos from my insurance co. The General and they told me I was not entitled to that evidence or the videos. I called NC Dept of Ins and Banking and they advised I was absolutely entitled to anything being used against me.

I finally got the photos which clearly show the damage to the back of my car and the front of his Tahoe. He filed a claim against me and my insurance co settled with him. I finally have a manager who is reviewing the incident. My adjuster was VERY rude and never would call me back and refused to acknowledge the photos showing there is no way the incident happened the way the police report stated. There was only about $839.00 damage to his vehicle and $4,000 to mine and he is now filing medical soft tissue claims for him and another person in the car. There was so much evidence that he was at fault and hit me and my insurance company sided with him and there was ABSOLUTELY nothing I could do.

As my insurer they should be doing everything to protect me but I everything I said was ignored and my adjuster told me she did not have time to deal with me and TOLD me they were covering his damages and holding me at fault!!! Stay clear of them they!!! Rather than fighting for me they sided with the other driver. This company is a joke. You sit on hold for 45 min at a time and no one will call you back and the adjusters are extremely rude and snotty. WORST EXPERIENCE EVER.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

The General Insurance company charge me insurance for vehicle that was never owned by me while driving my car which was uninsured. Now refuse to refund back money or work anything out with me. The General Insurance company refuse to accept fault.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

The lady that I talk to is great and she does a great job. The employee Ann is simply a very nice, helpful person. She knows all the answers to any question that I have ever asked. She always returns my calls timely, always cheerful. She is an asset to The General.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

It's inconvenient that there are no stores in town that I could make a payment at. I no longer am able to talk to someone face to face and when I get online I always have Some Kind of difficulty so I just call. Every person I have had to talk to has been pleasant. Thank you Lord that I have had a major claim and it was quick and easy since the other party never contacted them.

Permanent General Auto Insurance (PGAC) expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Permanent General Auto Insurance is a licensed insurance agency that offers insurance in many states. They have been in business for over 50 years and have been recognized by A.M. Best for their financial stability.

• Accepts drivers regardless of history: The General offers insurance for most drivers, even if they don't have a perfect driving record or have let their insurance lapse.

• Electronic payments: They make it easy to pay monthly bills online via their electronic platform.

• Low down payments: They keep their down payments low and affordable so that drivers can sign up for insurance, even if they don't have a lot of money upfront.

• Continuing to expand: The General is continuing to expand their coverage and has taken on new states such as West Virginia and Nebraska.

• Great customer service: The General has excellent customer service that makes it easy for drivers to contact a representative and settle claims.

• Best for: Drivers with a poor driving history and drivers who want a low down payment.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky
Matthew Brodsky

Insurance Contributing Editor

The General Auto Insurance Company Information

Permanent General Auto Insurance (PGAC)
www.thegeneral.com