Compare Quotes and Save

The General Auto Insurance
2.57/5

The General Auto Insurance

ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

The General Auto Insurance specializes in offering car insurance to high-risk drivers. The General is a verified carrier for InsuraMatch–which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. For free auto insurance quotes from The General and other verified carriers, call InsuraMatch today.

BOTTOM LINE

The General auto insurance covers high-risk drivers. Satisfied customers say it’s really easy to get an online quote and that the pricing is great. Reviewers say the customer service is excellent and prices are competitive.

PROS

• Offers SR-22 filing for drivers
  • Offers most of the standard options offered by competitors
  • Affordable insurance for high-risk drivers who have trouble finding coverage elsewhere
  • Deductible waiver for windshields, door and window glass.

CONS

• No safe driver programs or discounts
  • Con third point.
  • Prices can be higher than competitors

Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes

514 The General Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 28, 2019

No other insurance company would help me and one agent told me I was uninsurable. I didn't think I was going to be able to drive again until I called The General and they told me they would help me get back on the road. They quoted me a price and I've never had any of the Hidden fees other people are posting about. My policy is up and I'm about to renew. That's how I arrived at this site. If you need high risk liability insurance to get back on the road this company is excellent.

Original review: March 22, 2019

Worst customer service ever this afternoon from The General customer service team. The General made it obvious that our business was not important to their company. I'm appalled at the upcharge they were going to put on our account so that my wife could talk to a representative about the account! However- The General didn't have a problem taking the money out of her account when the bill was due! Ridiculous! Glad we canceled with these idiots, and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone!

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 19, 2019

They are a terrible company. They will have you to pay one thing to trick you with them but once your money has processed they will send you a different payment schedule with a different price. The customer service line isn't any better, they don't even try to assist you, they just try to get you off the line. One star is being way too generous they don't even deserve a half of a star.

Original review: March 6, 2019

After 6 months of coverage they raised my rate from $742 to $1018. I received a bill saying had to pay $820.49 by December 28th 2019 to keep insurance till June 2019. I paid $820.49 on December 27th 2019. Found a better & cheaper policy on January 7th 2019. Called The General to cancel. The customer service rep stated I would get back $45. They charged me $775 for 10 days of insurance. The customer service rep stated NY state approves these practices.

Original review: March 6, 2019

They wanted 2 times more than anyone else. I ended up with All State, State Farm was cheaper and everyone else. It's pretty funny that they play like they are the cheapest. I never would of wasted my time.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Permanent General Auto Insurance (PGAC)?

Original review: March 1, 2019

Do not, I repeat, do not get insurance from this company!! I got into a minor accident in stop and go traffic, going no more than 5 miles an hour, and their claims adjuster came out to the body shop and stated that my car was a total loss! Mind you, the damage to both vehicles was barely noticeable. I wanted to keep my car and fix it myself but now my back refuses to continue my contract because it will now show up as a salvaged vehicle. I even got an estimate from two other reputable body shops (one was caliber collision) for 1/3 of the cost, and they refused to allow me an appeal process. So now I'm out of a car that I still owe on, and have to come up with a down payment as pay back the balance of what I still owed. These people are straight mafia!!! And this is some kind of scam!!! Beware!

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

Do not get this coverage. They hide fees from you, make changes without your consent and will keep ALL of your money when you cancel. They have also falsified communications - no verbal contact with me occurred, yet in the system I spoke to their representative twice. I got a quote, paid the whole amount the same day. General increased the premium 3 weeks later saying they did receive the document they need. If this isn't a scam, I don't know what is!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I do not have any at fault claims on my insurance history. I have auto withdraw for my payments. I got The General because I bought my current vehicle at night late and the general allowed me to get the insurance online right away. I have had Geico in the past and I was going to go back to them before the next month bill came due. Well I'm going through a divorce and at that time he was making life difficult so I didn't get around to it. My oldest son moved back in with me so we just put him and his car on my insurance. I figured I would just change insurance back to Geico when he moved out. Well last weekend my son got into an accident. I'm not happy with the claims department and their process. Today I decided that I'm not happy with this company so now would be a good time to go back to Geico.

I called to find out how much money I would get back if I cancelled today. She put me on hold and came back and told me I would actually owe $18. I said my payment was just pulled out of my account on the 15th (today is the 22nd) and it was $345 for both cars how can I possibly owe money? She said they calculate the days of use up to the cancellation date plus 10% of the balance of the year policy. Again my driving record is clean, I have no at fault accidents, my payments are on time and this is my son's first accident and he's 23. If I had cancelled when I first intended to I would have owed more money.

So here is the gist of their policy, if you start insurance with them and the year premium is $1020 and you cancel after 10 days- you will pay the full daily amount for the 10 days, that's reasonable. So let's just say the 10 days add up to $20, you will pay 10% of the remaining $1000. You will not have coverage for the 10% paid, you basically give them that amount for terminating early. So the claims department sucks which makes you want to change insurance providers and then they charge you for early termination. I REGRET ever choosing this company. I will be contacting the attorney general for AZ, I suggest others to reach out to their state as well. Shaq should be ashamed of himself.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

DO NOT GET THIS INSURANCE! BEWARE! I got the General Insurance in Feb 2018 and paid $198/month. It was affordable and everything was great UNTIL I HAD AN ACCIDENT in November 2018. The adjuster was RUDE to everyone, including the Auto Body shop, refused to return calls and hung up on people. My claim was then transferred to a 2nd Adjuster mid-process and I NEVER received any calls at all from the 2nd guy. The only communication I got from him was via mail.

Mid-December, I received a letter from The General billing department stating they had determined I had been using my vehicle in an inappropriate manner (although I was simply driving it to a check cashing place) and so I had one of 2 choices: 1) Remove the vehicle immediately from my policy and/or CANCEL the policy altogether, or 2) Pay OUTRAGEOUS premium of $808/month to continue coverage. My next payment wasn't DUE until 12/25/18 and I was paid up through 12/24/18 so I CANCELLED MY POLICY on 12/24/18 at 11 AM. Huge surprise! They went into my bank account and AUTO-DEDUCTED $808 out anyway on 12/27/18 and didn't respond to my cancellation request for almost a full MONTH.

At first I thought this was due to the Holidays and simply an oversight. But on 1/15/19 I received their "Notice of lapse" due to Insured's Request to Cancel policy dating my cancellation date back to 12/24/18. Keep in mind, MY $808 WAS NOT REFUNDED EVEN THEN. To add insult to injury, they then stated in the letter that they would be "reviewing my account to see what, if anything, would be refunded." During this time, because they STOLE almost $1000 from my account, my bills were bouncing and bank fees were escalating! I DISPUTED the UNAUTHORIZED CHARGES with my Bank who issued a temporary credit while investigating the claim.

However, then The General issued me a measly $250 back of the $808. So due to Bank Policy, my Bank then had to remove the Credit of the $808 from my account, which has now seriously jeopardized my ability to pay for my 5 year old's daycare and I may lose my job as unable to attend work if I can't pay for a sitter! Because The General issued the credit, the Bank stated I have to take my complaints for FULL REFUND to them to settle this dispute. WHICH IS A TOTAL CROCK because The General doesn't care about DEFRAUDING EVERY CITIZEN OF THE UNITED STATES.

If I had read any of these reviews I never would have purchased coverage through them! They DID Demand that I set up Automatic Payments or threatened increased rates and/or monthly cancellation which is the ONLY REASON I signed up for it (but I ONLY authorized $198/month to be taken out, NOT $808!). There needs to be a class action lawsuit against this company! Someone needs to do something! Do not buy this insurance unless you want the same thing or worse to happen to you! Get Progressive! I never had any issues with PROGRESSIVE!!!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

Do not, I repeat, do not get this coverage. They hide fees from you, make changes without your consent and will keep ALL of your money when you cancel. I got a quote, paid the downpayment and 4 days later found better, cheaper coverage. Contacted the general as I still had required paperwork that needed to be submitted and was told I would get a full refund. I got $15 back out of my $296 payment. For 13 days of coverage (because that's when they finally canceled a policy.) If this isn't a scam, I dont know what is. My policy that I received never said anything in regards to fees to cancel but my original paperwork said short rate basis, which to them is a fee. AGAIN, my policy said nothing about a FEE in the cancellation section or anywhere else. They play on words and semantics. Customer service is rude and they talk over you. Shaq has put himself with a horrible company.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

Got insurance for my grandson, they wanted auto pay. I said no and they raised the price $40 and then they asked for auto pay again, after a while and I said no again and again. They raised the price another $40. A big ripoff.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I have had car insurance for a year with The General. I was involved in an accident where another vehicle ran me off the road. The police could not determine what exactly happened but I was not charged with anything. The General would not file my claim as uninsured motorist, which I can kind of understand but they are now refusing to pay my medical bills as well. Is this even legal? Don't they have to cover my medical expenses?

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I had insurance with The General since 7/12/2016: I switched to Allstate after purchasing a new vehicle and have gotten nothing but grief including them charging me 10% of my policy premium for early cancellation. I was rear-ended in September and The General did not fight for me on the claim side. Instead I kept receiving phone calls from Ashley the adjuster asking me if I was down receiving PT and she closed the claim. Mind you - my son has a kidney transplant 2 weeks after the accident so taking care of myself was not a number 1 priority but him. After cancelling my insurance they asked me for a letter of underwriting. Not too sure what this app is but have emailed them to find out and after 2+ years of being insured I moved and they also raised my insurance for my children who do not drive nor have license for living in my home. Horrible company. Purchaser BEWARE. THEY ARE NOT AND DO NOT FIGHT FOR YOU!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

It has been over a month since my accident. I had a woman back into my parked car with her car. We called the police, but since it was in a Dollar General parking lot it was considered private property. I got all the driver's info and took pictures. I filed my claim that night and they sent an insurance adjuster out who took pictures and even they said they saw the damage. Now it's been over a month and just yesterday they had some twerp call me to say that there wasn't enough evidence. What he meant was unless you want to go thru the trouble suing us we aren't paying for anything. I've never dealt with such freaking crooks/scam artists. I hope they all rot in hell.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

On Dec.3, 2018 my husband was involved in a hit an run accident (driver never caught) and we are insured by The General so I had to file a claim. It is now 2 weeks and I am getting the runaround. First I was told that my husband was excluded as a driver on the policy (which he was not), my son with the same name was excluded. Then I was told that an APPRAISAL would be done and as of today no one has looked at my car. I have made numerous phone calls and emails to my adjuster and she is not returning calls or emails. I am having to pay out of pocket for a rental and have had to pay for a tow truck, all at my own expense right before Christmas. Beware! This company is a nightmare to deal with. I do not recommend them at all. I am at the point of hiring an attorney just for my own damn insurance company to pay my claim.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

They say month to month. They cancel you if payment is not made on due date. But still take your money after due date. Was late on payment. Made payment over weekend. Had an accident over weekend and now my claim was denied. Because they didn't get it till Monday. But thank me for my payment that Saturday for payment. Bottom line - don't make any payments over the weekend with the General. RIP to the General. No car and lawsuit from other driver insurance company. Stressed. Don't know what to do. Merry no Christmas to my grandchildren.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I have had Insurance with The General since July 25 of 2018. My problems with them came over Thanksgiving weekend of this year. I made my premium payment on the website on a Saturday and later that evening I was on the website and I accidentally made another payment and there was no way to cancel it, and since it was a non business day I had to wait till Monday to contact them. I contacted them on Monday to explain what happened and asked them to cancel that additional payment and they informed me that they cannot cancel the payment and I have to go to my bank and stop the payment. I did just as they told me to do, however the next day both payments attempted to clear the bank. One was rejected cause of the stopped payment with the fee for that the payment that was supposed to clear did not so that payment was returned as well.

I contacted The General immediately after I seen what happened and I was told that the payment I needed to make will be re submitted. Make a long story short today which is Thursday I find out from The General they are not going to resubmit that payment and I would have to do another payment myself. So I did another payment on my debit card for $299.72 only to find out a couple hours later that my policy was being canceled because they considered the one stop payment I did from their direction and the other payment returned as two NSF payments and according to their policy they have to cancel mine out. They did inform me I could have my policy rewritten however but then I had to pay an additional $458 on top of the $299.72 I already paid.

What’s frustrating is I was told that if I paid that $299.72 my coverage would be in force. I have been told 3 different things now from The General. To me this company is starting to look really shady and deceptive. They got almost $800 from me today. I get some of this was my mistake however they do not seem to attempt to work with their customers. Instead they just find ways to get more money from you. I need the insurance however after this experience I will be shopping for other insurance, in the meantime I feel that I have no choice but to comply with their demands. First opportunity I get I’m leaving them. My recommendation is use this company as a last resort for insurance.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I've been with them a year and we have now switched. Our policy had lapsed so we paid the past due, got caught up, and thought we were good. NOPE. Found out in April that my license was suspended! Why? Because the General didn't bother reporting to the state that I was insured! Had to pay to get reinstated. So we have a jeep that stopped working. My husband called to have it dropped. Apparently they dropped my car as well. I just got pulled over earlier for not having insurance! My husband has been paying them. I now have to get my license reinstated AGAIN!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I got insurance through them however it said my credit card was declined. This was the 2nd attempt I had tried so I decided to stop trying and went with another broker. The General ended up charging my card and I called multiple times and a lady told me to email underwriting so I did. She said it took 1-2 working days. After 2 working days I called back and spoke with so many different people and they all said they'd get a manager to call me back AND NO ONE CALLED ME BACK. Finally had 1 manager KELVIN ** & he hung up on me!!!

My goodness you guys need more skilled staff members! Called back today to check with underwriting because it's been over 7 days and no refund has been submitted into my account. And the lady said "they need more time." Come on you guys. What in the heck is going on in there?! I let the lady know that never mind at this point. It's just easier to cancel my other insurance and go with you guys because this is ridiculous. And she tells me... "Well now you have to email underwriting and tell them you do want your policy still." OMMMYYYGOD. By the time they get that email the NEW EMAIL, it'll be next year! Talk about a nightmare insurance company to work with. GEICO IS MUCH BETTER AND CHEAPER! I got charged $168 with The General NO ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE, Geico is at $149.00 WITH ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE!!! Be wise consumers!!

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

I was hit by one they insured. It was his fault. The GENERAL ran me around on my vehicle. Heavy damage to right front end. They wanted to total it but I was smarter than that. I check the book value on my vehicle. It was able to fix not totaled. They didnt want to pay 4 grand repairs. They wanted to total it cause it was cheaper for them. They didnt want to pay for my rental car. I was out of a car cause of their insure hit me and was at fault. I had to go through 2 guys get their story straight. They try to lie about it. They are the worst INSURANCE ever. I hope no one gets hit by them. You are in for a treat. They are very dishonest, I had to be tough with them. It was crazy...

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

Been with them for a year, online it says you can change your due date once for FREE. Yet every time I try and change it, they want to charge me. Then they tell me I have 15 days grace period which is a damn lie. I pay the night before the so called lapse is going to take place, and yet they still lapse me. EVERY SINGLE MONTH!!! I try to talk to a supervisor but the little employees make up all kinds of excuses not to let you talk to supervisors. This is the most irresponsible and unprofessional insurance agency I have dealt with in my 53 years of driving. Thank goodness, I havent had to have them do a claim for me that would probably never get taken care of. I highly recommend avoiding The General Car Insurance. I will be moving to Geico or Progressive.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

6 weeks ago my vehicle was hit by a person being insured by The General Insurance company. To this day 6 weeks later I'm still waiting to hear from someone from the claims department to get back with me on my insurance check. The entire process has been extremely slow and drawn out. Very very disappointed in the amount of time that it takes to process a total loss claim. Several times I was told, "We will get back with you," in a certain amount of time and never hear from them. If I would have had to rent a car due to the loss of my vehicle I would have went broke by now! Definitely would not recommend them to anyone. I have the same exact type of accident happened 3 months ago and the insurer was insured by another company in which was taken care of from start to finish in 9 days. Big difference! For most people...I would say you are messing around with our livelihood!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I had gotten The General Insurance because it was cheaper! Big mistake! I was recently in an accident and when I claimed it nothing was wrong and they processed the claim! A week later after they had gotten the police report and had done the estimate we were told it was being processed and someone would be in contact! Not only did I have to call the person handling the claim numerous time to find out any information on it I had to call after I had not heard anything from the about the claim. I was then told that our insurance lapsed the day of the accident. I paid every month on the same date the 27th.

After calling them the first time they couldn’t find my information, then I called a second time and was told that it was paid on the 27th and that it looked like it lapsed but it was paid but because of the 27th being a weekend that’s why it lapsed which made no sense and I asked to speak to a supervisor who I was told was going to call me and had not! Today I call again and I was told that my payment was due on the 26th of every month and it lapsed for a total of one day which just so happens to be my accident date. If it was due every month on the 26th that would mean that I lapsed every month which makes no sense because I never once received anything saying that I lapsed! After talking to a supervisor they told me there is nothing they can do and that it is what it is!

After telling them I was contacting my attorney he then said, “You can do that and we will contact ours!” Now I have to pay 4,000 in damage to my car because they did not want to pay the claim. When I talked to the body shop fixing the car they said the adjuster told them they would not pay for anything else if something internal was going on! DO NOT go with this insurance. It is cheaper monthly but you will pay dearly in the end!!! It’s not worth saving a couple bucks! Horrible company, horrible customer service, horrible experience! I will be switching insurances!!!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

They put me in debt over $190, I'm only 20 years old. Had the insurance for less than a month, they were so nice when they were receiving my card number of course. But once I canceled to move onto a BETTER company they were no longer helpful, said I owed more money when it was paid and they sent what I refused to pay to collections. Of course the lady heard nasty words from me because she was honestly a **. To keep it real they screwed me over entirely. They are good with fraud, real expensive, and have no locations unless you’re in Kentucky I believe. So my opinion, they are trash. Everyone who works for them that I have experienced is rude as hell. They don’t care about anything about you besides the money you’re forking over. So I suggest you NOT consider them at any point. Disgusting company that should definitely not even exist. Thanks for reading.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I really like how easy it was to initially get a quote for the car before I purchased the policy. It is very easy to pay online and your payment information is automatically saved. I also liked the fact that you get a payment confirmation and also get an email if your payment is required for the month.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

The experience with The General has been ok. I do not feel extra special when I go there. It is like a number being pushed through and that is it. The insurance does what it needs to do, but there is nothing "wow" or I don’t get major perks. I would change, but the price is keeping me from switching for the time being. So the policy is ok, the pricing is good.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

This insurance company is the the worst you can ever get. My brand new Tacoma was T-boned and has extensive damage. My truck has been at the shop for a month and no repairs have been authorized! Myself and the repair shop have been calling daily and all we get is “we can’t do anything” BS. My truck also needs nearly 5 weeks of repair done. I’ll be surprised if I get it back before Christmas. Also, if you’re a servicemember, stay the ** away. That means you, privates. You will PCS without your vehicle, and The General doesn’t give a flyin **. If you have The General already, be prepared to get a lawyer because they will find any way to screw you over and not pay for your repairs because they gotta pay Shaq all that money for their commercials.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

Was told my bill would be $136.00 for 6 months. By the fourth month they sent me a bill for $419.00!!! When I called to inquire they said it was because they added my daughter that does not drive. I excluded her but these frauds still want to charge me for her. I spoke with a very rude supervisor by the name of Ara. He was useless. The best he was willing to do was drop my bill down to $244.47, which means that I will still have to pay for someone that does not drive my car. Stay Away from this company!!!

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I have been with The General for a year and a half now, paying all the premium religiously. I recently hit a curb when turning into a parking lot, damaging a transfer case. They refused to covered, saying that it is a mechanical issue, and not caused by the impact. This company is a fraud. Stay away from them, go somewhere else. They will find ways to deny your claim.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I literally never ever post reviews about anything. I just had to talk about my experience with this sloppy horrible company. I had insurance with the general about 2 years ago. I decided not to continue with them after experiencing problems with them overcharging me and things of that nature. I paid for my final month of coverage and then I switched companies. I thought everything was done and over. No way I look at my credit report on credit karma and lo and behold I have a collection for 166 dollars for the general car insurance.

Now mind you they are a month to month insurance company. Somehow they claimed I still owed them 166 dollars for time I wasn't even with them. So they decide too put this on my credit report and it's been on there ever since. You can't get mad at a consumer if they don't like your services and want to switch companies. So because the general was upset that I left their company they decided too put a fraudulent charge on my credit report which is not cool at all.

So with this being said fellow consumers don't walk please run and stay as far away from this company as possible. They are scam artists and rip off people who are bullies. I don't care how much money they pay NBA star Shaquille O'Neal. It's all a big scam to dupe you out of your money. This company shouldn't even be in business in the first place. So you people can't say you weren't warned because I'm warning now. DO NOT GET CAR INSURANCE WITH THIS HORRIBLE BAD COMPANY.

Permanent General Auto Insurance (PGAC) expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Permanent General Auto Insurance is a licensed insurance agency that offers insurance in many states. They have been in business for over 50 years and have been recognized by A.M. Best for their financial stability.

• Accepts drivers regardless of history: The General offers insurance for most drivers, even if they don't have a perfect driving record or have let their insurance lapse.

• Electronic payments: They make it easy to pay monthly bills online via their electronic platform.

• Low down payments: They keep their down payments low and affordable so that drivers can sign up for insurance, even if they don't have a lot of money upfront.

• Continuing to expand: The General is continuing to expand their coverage and has taken on new states such as West Virginia and Nebraska.

• Great customer service: The General has excellent customer service that makes it easy for drivers to contact a representative and settle claims.

• Best for: Drivers with a poor driving history and drivers who want a low down payment.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky
Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor

The General Auto Insurance Company Information

Permanent General Auto Insurance (PGAC)
www.thegeneral.com