The General Auto Insurance
1.17/5
  • 1 star
Based on 63 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

The General Auto Insurance

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 16, 2018

284 The General Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

The first problem The quote was very high. I have a clean driver record. Then they went up on the already High rate I am already paying when I cancel their ass then they told me I have to a 10% fee for a 45 day premium on the 6 month amount that comes up to $291.00. This is something they don’t tell you it in small print. And I never filed any claim with them. I don’t drive the car but; times out of a month all this was told to them when I picked up their insurance.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I have The General Auto Insurance as of current and back in November I hit a deer. So I make a claim and everything is good. Joe ** (the adjuster) calls me back and they send a check for 3 thousand something dollars which is two thousand cheaper than the car shop's quote. I get a call from the car shop telling me my quote had used parts on it which they do not make for my car. I have a Cadillac CTS-V. So no problem. He calls them and I call them. Joe ** didn’t call him back for two weeks and when he tried to get ahold of his supervisor he was told it’s not in his hands. So this repairman had been fighting with them for two weeks to get my car fixed.

Now I’m really ticked off. I’ve been without a car for two going on three months now and my so called adjuster has fallen off the face of the earth and won’t call back. Not only that, the places that they quoted for the “used” parts aren’t there and they don’t have used parts for my car!! So now I’ve been paying 408 dollars a month for “car insurance” that can’t seem to understand the fact that my car needs new parts. I called Mr. ** yesterday within his “work hours” which are 10 am to 5 pm (ridiculous, I know!) Pacific time and still haven’t had a callback. The general also said they will not make any payments for aftermarket parts which is the next option since no used parts, until my car is in the shop and broken down ready to be repaired, but if they do that I’ll be waiting months for my car and who knows if they’ll even pay!!

Do not get The General Auto Insurance and be blinded by their low payments which is the reason why I chose them. They are a hassle to work with. My car still isn’t fixed, still no callback. I’ve been paying 408 dollars a month for a little over 1 year and they will not work with me or my choice of shop to get my car fixed. Now I thought when you paid for services that you get said services. I will be calling today and talking to whoever I can to get this done and if not then I hope they give me back my money since they can’t fix my car and I can move on to better, real car insurance. Bottom line: don’t use The General for car insurance, they are insurance brokers who rip people off like me.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

This insurance is overpriced. I found another policy for half of what The General charged me. I canceled my plan within the first 5 days of having it. I was hit with so many fees I basically paid them for NOTHING! Don't waste your time or money.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

My current experience with this terrible insurance company is exactly like Donnette of Chetek, WI and so many others I've read about. My husband's parked vehicle was hit and run by an insured of The General. The insured's car (driven by his girlfriend and followed by him in another car) was totalled and he left it. He lied to the police and even stalked my husband. Police discovered that he had this insurance. We filed the claim gave all info to Jillian the adjustor who until she stopped returning calls was pleasant.

I received a vague letter denying the claim with no explanation. Today I sat on hold again for 45 minutes just to be told by another claims adjustor that she could only give a message to Jillian and that I could not talk to a supervisor because they were out to lunch. Really?! I don't expect to ever hear back from them. Will call my insurance company and will no doubt be in small claims court soon. This company should be put out of business! Why would Shaquille O'Neal put his reputation on the line for this place?

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

They steal your money then send a bill to collections claiming you owe them. In reality they owe you 177 dollars. They never refunded then say you owe them 124. Crooked company should be investigated for fraud.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Permanent General Auto Insurance (PGAC)?

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

I was with them for roughly 1 year 8 months with a two car policy, the rates are low which was attractive to me at the time. I have gone through two claims, one of which they refused to cover damages that were caused by the accident on the wheel bearing and caliper. After months and eventually over a year of stress over the issues my car was having I had to pay over $2000 in repairs because the company that repaired the car only did the body work and failed to do their job to check on the work that was needed. I had to replace my rotors 7 times in 4 months since the wheel hub and bearing were damaged from the accident and the caliper was hanging which they also did not fix. I called and emailed my adjuster consistently for months with no regard or responses. I had to pay $2000 in repairs myself.

I sold that car. Tried to remove it from my policy and they tried to say that my policy was going to INCREASE instead of decrease. The car I was removing was more than DOUBLE the price of the car that was staying on the policy and yet my policy would increase. I called them about it and they confirmed that it would increased and I asked to cancel my policy and he gave me attitude over the phone and seemed determined to cancel it. He said, “There. Canceled.” I said, “Okay thank you” and without saying bye he hung up on me. Never again. I decided to go with Progressive insurance with a lower rate and better customer service.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

I recently discovered that every year I have been paying almost 200.00 more a year than the amount of my policy, this is unlawful, I have a clean driving record and yet paying over 1500 a year. If anyone else is finding this should report it immediately.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2017

Had fender bender, gave my insurance info to the other driver, cannot get any payment from these jerks, claim submitted in August and now it is December. With lie after lie to blow us off and waste time hoping we will forget it and get tired of calling! Sorry ** company!!!

Original review: Dec. 7, 2017

On October 1, 2017 I was heading to Stony Point NC to go horseback riding which I do most weekends. It is about an hour and 20 minutes from my home and it was approx. 8:30 am. The highway is 4 lanes and I was in one of the left lanes and put on my directional to move into the far left lane because I had 30 plus miles before my exit. There was a man driving a 2003 burgundy Chevy Tahoe about 3 car lengths back giving me more than enough room to move over. My directional must have aggravated him because he FLOORED it to prevent me from moving over. I had just begun to move over when he ran into the back of my 2015 Sorento at probably 80 mph knocking me forward and as I move immediately back into the other lane then over to the breakdown lane on the right side of the highway.

I got out to inspect the damage and wiped down the side of my car to assess the damage. The man in the Tahoe videotaped me and emailed it to my insurance company. The highway patrol who responded was extremely rude and aggressive and told me to stay in my car or he was going to take me to jail. The police report is written with only one point of view which states that I made an unsafe lane change. Merged into the side of the Tahoe forcing him into the concrete barrier on the side of the road. I was unable to take pictures because the cop would not let me out of my car. I requested the photos from my insurance co. The General and they told me I was not entitled to that evidence or the videos. I called NC Dept of Ins and Banking and they advised I was absolutely entitled to anything being used against me.

I finally got the photos which clearly show the damage to the back of my car and the front of his Tahoe. He filed a claim against me and my insurance co settled with him. I finally have a manager who is reviewing the incident. My adjuster was VERY rude and never would call me back and refused to acknowledge the photos showing there is no way the incident happened the way the police report stated. There was only about $839.00 damage to his vehicle and $4,000 to mine and he is now filing medical soft tissue claims for him and another person in the car. There was so much evidence that he was at fault and hit me and my insurance company sided with him and there was ABSOLUTELY nothing I could do.

As my insurer they should be doing everything to protect me but I everything I said was ignored and my adjuster told me she did not have time to deal with me and TOLD me they were covering his damages and holding me at fault!!! Stay clear of them they!!! Rather than fighting for me they sided with the other driver. This company is a joke. You sit on hold for 45 min at a time and no one will call you back and the adjusters are extremely rude and snotty. WORST EXPERIENCE EVER.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2017

The General Insurance company charge me insurance for vehicle that was never owned by me while driving my car which was uninsured. Now refuse to refund back money or work anything out with me. The General Insurance company refuse to accept fault.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

The lady that I talk to is great and she does a great job. The employee Ann is simply a very nice, helpful person. She knows all the answers to any question that I have ever asked. She always returns my calls timely, always cheerful. She is an asset to The General.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

It's inconvenient that there are no stores in town that I could make a payment at. I no longer am able to talk to someone face to face and when I get online I always have Some Kind of difficulty so I just call. Every person I have had to talk to has been pleasant. Thank you Lord that I have had a major claim and it was quick and easy since the other party never contacted them.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

0 stars! My wife was rear-ended by their insured [injured with a severe concussion, back and neck strain, as well as rib pain and asthma attacks] [car was totaled as well] and was first told that they did have insurance and that they would get back to me. Days later, after being hung up on and put on hold for an hour at a time, I finally was able to speak with Pamela [the so-called supervisor] who was supposed to be of help to me. She informed me that they were checking to see if their insured had made the last payment, which was already a different response than what I had received when I called the first time. Now, today, after speaking with Xavier my wife and I RECEIVE letters in the mail stating that the claim was dropped due to the fact that their insured was essentially missing a payment.

How do you go from being insured to all of a sudden missing a payment within the span of days? The person who misinformed me the first time doesn't deserve to be employed, and they should take responsibility for their actions. And no one can give me this lady's number to contact her directly or even provide me with the date that she last paid on? I already don't believe a word they say, and I truly don't believe that she doesn't have any insurance to begin with. Now we have to go to small claims court. Xavier & Pamela continuously apologize and yet no action is taken, and they will do anything in their power not to speak with you, including telling their representatives that they are 'currently unavailable.' I am waiting for them to go out of business, hopefully shortly after they are sued.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2017

The General is a ripoff. I'm paying for full coverage but my coverage plan doesn't cover roadside assistance, towing and labor, or rental reimbursement and the stuff it does cover isn't really covering nothing. What is a $1000 going to do in a collision. Basically I have liability instead of full coverage. The full coverage is a total waste with The General.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

Worst company ever. I had two teen daughters and our insurance through State Farm was going up to 790 a month. We started looking around and found The General at 268 a month so we switched. Worst decision ever!!! Hidden fees, staff that don't know what they are talking about and other stuff. They charge a 12 dollar monthly fee to bill you, not verbally disclosed at the beginning. 144 dollars a year to send a bill. They tell you they can't refund money after the bill has been sent out and they tell you that they can only talk to the primary on the insurance. The telephone representatives are nice but not very knowledgeable.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2017

They will lie for years. When it's time to pay up on a claim and swear it's someone else's fault. The adjuster was a weasel for real, has no respect, big liar and does not do her job. Been waiting since August of 2016.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

My wife was hit by some idiot playing on his phone (he admitted it was his fault to the police). Unfortunately for us, he had "The General Auto Insurance." My guess is that it stands for "Generally the worst auto insurance you can get," but maybe it means "You are generally insane if you even consider these jokers to be a legitimate company." Two weeks later and we are still fighting with them to pay for a rental car while her undrivable car is in the shop. On top of this, they told her that the body shop must have her repairs done in three days... are you kidding? Body shops working on one car at a time can barely get something done in five days.

This is the most ridiculous company out there and it is criminal for them to call themselves an insurance company. Our insurance company has had to call them over a dozen times, but they still won't even call them back. We have had to go through supervisors to even get Anything done! My wife has been so stressed by all of this. The idiot that hit her didn't even have damage to his car so he is getting away free as a bird while my wife (one of the safest drivers I know) has been on the phone multiple times a day dealing with his mistake. Companies like "The General" should not even be in business, but I guess there is always someone willing to pay for the cheapest crap insurance they can get just to say they have insurance. Run away from these crooks.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

Our truck was hit and run by a young girl who had The General Auto Insurance. We had witnesses and we called the police right away and they took pictures and made the report. I was told repeatedly that the insured was not cooperating and not returning calls so I made sure that I called the insured and she also had just talked to "Adam" the person holding our claim and she said that he told her that I was being uncooperative. "Adam" lied to both of us! I submitted the estimate 3 days after our truck was hit ($2500.00 the cheapest out of 3) and that was over 2 months ago. Today I received a call from "Adam" and he said that he was mailing out a check for $900.00 so I can get our truck fixed. I told him the estimate was for $2500 and he told me that is not the way things work with the General.

After about 10 min of arguing and him talking over me, My insurance agent tried to make sense of what his explanation was and she had to repeat to "Adam" multiple times to "stop talking" so she could ask the question he would not or would avoid answering. The next call I made to him I told him I wanted to talk to a supervisor and he told me no that this is the way things work so I am going to talk to an attorney and then they can pay the legal fees also. This company is poorly run and is very unprofessional. I was not at fault for this hit and run but I have to pay for it for taking months to finally get somewhere and then to be shorted the repair bill by $1600.00. If this gets anywhere... I WANT TO TALK TO A MANAGER OR A SUPERVISOR!!!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I have had this company for 2 years mainly because I was on Workers Comp and never knew when my checks would get paid. I recently moved from Vermont to NH. I paid my policy payment not realizing that they couldn’t just swap states two days before I moved. NH doesn’t require insurance but I’m responsible and wanted liability. Well they told me NH had all these requirements and they had to cancel my VT Insurance to issue a NH. They only allowed me a refund of $60 dollars from my $110 payment which they were to apply towards a my new policy plus I had to pay $13.98 to complete the payment. So I did.

I was told the next payment would be due on the 9th. of next month of $65 and some change. I get a call tonight saying I have to pay yet another 65.98 for them to issue my policy. Which is not what they originally told me. So I told them to cancel the policy and I do not want a early cancellation fee due to them not knowing what they are doing. I find it very hard to believe NH has all these requirements for insurance coverage when they don’t even require you to carry insurance. I think they are making you have more coverage than what is actually needed. That they are requesting more money than was originally said is very sketchy. How many other people have they tried to pull this on?

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

As of September 01, 2017, I had sold my vehicle, it was insured by The General and as of July 2017, I had renewed my policy for a whole fiscal year for $759.75 - Liability. But when I had contacted the insurance co. they had informed me in order to receive a refund, they needed a copy of bill of sale with signature's and to fax to their office, which they gave me the fax #, which in two instances had been incorrect, this began to upset me and when I finally sent copy to correct fax, the date was Sept. 22, 2017.

I then contacted their office in Arizona, stating that it would not be approved without a hand written consent from me stating I was canceling my policy, now I BECAME FURIOUS and demanded to speak with someone from the corporate office. I was finally connected with corporate on the October 4, 2017, that the young lady I spoke with would handle it and that I would receive payment the very next day. Well it's now October 5, 2017 Thursday evening 6:28 pm and still have not received a penny!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

The refund policies of this company are horrendous. Never will I ever use them again. I paid my monthly premium and used on 10 days worth, I cancelled because I got much better rates with Progressive... And they said, "the remaining $67 was applied to fees," etc... Screw that... I WILL CONTINUE TO FILE COMPLAINTS UNTIL THEY REFUND MY MONEY.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I had General for 2 years. I'll start with "my mistake" on being less than a week late on 2 payments in a row through the span of my business with them. Unfortunate, but understandable reasoning. I am someone who needs paper billing in order to stay on top of things. During a move, I had updated my information with them online. I'm always very tedious when it comes to my billing so I'd be shocked to find out that I went out of my way to select e-billing when I'm always careful to be sure it's mail... But whatever. So after the second bill to my new address was never sent, I called them (nightmare) to verify they will start to mail my bills again. Good as gravy... Nope. They jacked up my rate 2 months later. I called and they said it was because I was previously late on those two bills. Zero incidents, accidents or claims of any kind. But okay, I was 24 so like everything else, I bit the bullet.

Maybe my rate will go down by the time I turn 25, or I'll take one of these 17 companies up on their offers. My Birthday rolls around, and my good friend leaves me a note on my General bill saying "Happy birthday, I paid off the rest of your premium" I was elated! Almost $400 I don't have to worry about for a few months! It was a sweet gesture. Until I got a letter in the mail stating my bill was late and will be cancelled by the next week. Okay. My friend confirms there's money in the account but The General didn't take it out. Oh great, another excuse for them to jack up my rate. So I call. The nice lady said the payment didn't go through and that she could try it again. We verified the account information and give it a try! She said it would post in 2-3 business days. Great! I call a few days later to check on the status. Hopefully, this puppies paid off and no more worries!!!

Nope, the new lady said the previous lady was misinformed so when she ran the payment a second time and it did not go through, I was no longer able to have General Insurance now or ever again. WHAT?! $400 isn't anything for my friend to pay, he had it, I saw it in his account while we tried to figure it out. But because YOUR employee was misinformed, I no longer have any insurance and you won't accept the money in full to pay off your minimal garbage coverage for someone with no accident history?! So she leaves it at "Sorry, have a nice day..." I was so livid yet speechless.

I could have paid the premium or monthly at any point throughout this. Had I of known everything would be terminated if she tried to run the payment, I would have gone a different route. But honestly a blessing in disguise. I made a long time coming switch to Nationwide, got literally triple the coverage for an even smaller premium. Paid off in full! Thank you Nationwide!!! Screw you General... NEVER GET GENERAL INSURANCE!!!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

Five years ago I was somewhat forced into allowing this company to insure me because I had to carry an SR-22 for a year. So I did. Five years later and no accidents, ticket or problems, I notice that my rates continue to increase annually, so I switch. They send me a bill after switching, and then send it straight to collections. Totally garbage company.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

I got car insurance with The General in June 2017. In August 2017 my car was stolen in another city. I called, put in my claim and I spoke with my adjuster one time and was not able to reach her until 4 days later? During that time I had other adjusters helping me. When I finally talked to my adjuster she told me an investigator would be in touch with me to come out and talk with me. So the investigator came out two days later to my home and treated me like a criminal. On the first 48 she kept proceeding to tell me she retired from the police station in the area my car was stolen 15 years ago?? Prior to her coming to my home I was getting a lot of mail from The General that has very big bold letters about fraud and the letter was only a one sentenced letter but the bold fraud print was a few sentences.

I thought it was odd and I felt as if they were trying to say something. Anyhow when the investigator was at my home she record our convo and then it ended and she turned the recorder off when she did she said to me that she did a thorough background check on me and the people that I was involved with at the time and she told me my background had nothing really on it and she said to me "Do you want to lose everything over a few bucks???" How she got to this was because the people who helped me out as far as picking me up and taking me to the police station didn't want any parts in this so I didn't give her correct names of them. Their first names were correct but not last names. However I did give them the right phone numbers to these people. They just didn't want their name involved and I don't know why.

But the sad part is because of that she was saying we were all lying. It freaked me out so bad I just gave up and told her to cancel it out. It was an option she gave me as she was leaving. She was so sarcastic and non caring. She asked where I worked, how long I been there? She wanted my bank account info? And my phone records? I can't get my phone records At all cause it's prepaid and she couldn't get them either? At this time she already calling me a liar??? The way she put it all out there as if I was nothing??? I was so scared because of how she was saying "Oh this person is your ex" and "Oh this use to be his car" and so forth and so on? Then she proceeds to say that I knew the lady who I bought the car from?? And I don't know her at all???! It's just a big mess because they didn't want their name in it.

This lady was so sarcastic and she was more worried about my ex. She also told me while in my house that she tried calling the 2 people who I was with that day and she said she cant get in touch with them but they said she never called or left messages. Anyhow I'm out of 2,500. Damn!!! Hundred dollars and my car is just gone in the wind?? This is the worst thing that can happen to someone... But wait after she was so sarcastic she's leaving my home going down porch steps and say but you always can cancel this case and we are done or proceed on and deal with the consequences??? Then she is outside taking pictures of cars in my driveway. She kept circling the corner smirking and laughing. At this time I gave up and I really think that was her goal.

Now I feel lost and sad. I'm mad at friends who didn't want to be involved and at the same time I was thinking to go on with the case but this lady was so mean I felt that she would of made my case a nightmare cause she has that power. Never go with General. THEY DON'T CARE AT ALL ABOUT ANYTHING. She made me so nervous to the point I couldn't think right. I COULDN'T REMEMBER THE DAY OF LOST OR ANYTHING WHICH MADE HER FEEL SHE GOT OVER ON ME MORE! JUST SAD.

Original review: July 26, 2017

Everyone should stay away from this company. They are the worse you can deal with. Customer service is non existent and if you sell your vehicle and want a refund they refuse to refund your money and refuse to talk to you. The company should be put in liquidation.

Original review: July 24, 2017

This company is an absolute rip off. My car was a total loss in an accident and they are giving the run around because they don't want to cover. They don't even want to provide me with a rental even though I was paying for it on my policy. Stay away, I'm telling you. Do not use them, all they want is your premiums, nothing else.

Original review: July 22, 2017

2 years ago my local independently owned Insurance Company merged with The General. My local company had always been great and I like to think of myself as loyal so I stuck with them. Big Mistake. I pay my bill by phone every month. I called to pay my $113 bill on the same day every month and the automated voice said I owed 489. I had never missed or been late for a payment. So I call and they had added my 15 yr/old who just get her learner's permit without my consent. So I explained my daughter has her own car and is insured under her father's insurance. She does not drive my vehicle at all. Never.

I was told by a super young sounding voice I would first have to pay the almost 500 bill and then they would remove her. WHAT??? I would never pay 500 for Insurance ever. I felt scammed by this company. So of course I cancelled immediately and switched to Geico and my bill was actually cheaper each month. The General says I owe them money and has sent me to collections. I would have stayed with them for years to come but their GREED got the best of them. This company really is the worst.

Original review: July 15, 2017

Absolutely the WORST insurance company I have ever had in 30 years. All of these reviews are dead on right! Even the IRS gives you a grace period, not the General!! Lowest rates? HAH! The HIGHEST RATES EVER. For nothing. Customer service has to be from a rent a drunk temp service. They are IDIOTS. Cannot wait for them to beat it and be out of business. Shaq must be a total idiot too. People should harass this moron in public until he QUITS being their spokesperson! I have a 20-year-old car with a PERFECT SAFE DRIVER driving record, and for BASIC coverage my insurance is 170 bucks a month!! They send you these idiotic emails all during the month WEEKS before your payment is due saying you owe this NOW. They treat you like you are a criminal. THE GENERAL INSURANCE IS THE WORST COMPANY IN THE WORLD! PERIOD!

Original review: July 10, 2017

Every month when calling the automatic line, it glitches. You will spend hours of frustration dealing with it. Customer service is rude, and insurance is subpar at best. Finally got rid of them and upgraded to a better insurance. If you choose this company, get ready to deal with a whole lot of nothing for an insurance that gives you nothing. There is NO customer loyalty.

Original review: July 7, 2017

They were very helpful and the prices weren't that bad but a little high for my taste though. Very friendly and courteous. Would definitely recommend them for anyone to try.

Permanent General Auto Insurance (PGAC) expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Permanent General Auto Insurance is a licensed insurance agency that offers insurance in many states. They have been in business for over 50 years and have been recognized by A.M. Best for their financial stability.

• Accepts drivers regardless of history: The General offers insurance for most drivers, even if they don't have a perfect driving record or have let their insurance lapse.

• Electronic payments: They make it easy to pay monthly bills online via their electronic platform.

• Low down payments: They keep their down payments low and affordable so that drivers can sign up for insurance, even if they don't have a lot of money upfront.

• Continuing to expand: The General is continuing to expand their coverage and has taken on new states such as West Virginia and Nebraska.

• Great customer service: The General has excellent customer service that makes it easy for drivers to contact a representative and settle claims.

• Best for: Drivers with a poor driving history and drivers who want a low down payment.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky
Matthew Brodsky

Insurance Contributing Editor

The General Auto Insurance Company Information

Permanent General Auto Insurance (PGAC)
www.thegeneral.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use