Compare Quotes and Save

The General Auto Insurance
2.88/5

The General Auto Insurance

ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

The General Auto Insurance specializes in offering car insurance to high-risk drivers. The General is a verified carrier for InsuraMatch–which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. For free auto insurance quotes from The General and other verified carriers, call InsuraMatch today.

Compare Quotes and Save

Find the Best Car Insurance

Get Quotes

BOTTOM LINE

The General auto insurance covers high-risk drivers. Satisfied customers say it’s really easy to get an online quote and that the pricing is great. Reviewers say the customer service is excellent and prices are competitive.

PROS

• Offers SR-22 filing for drivers
  • Offers most of the standard options offered by competitors
  • Affordable insurance for high-risk drivers who have trouble finding coverage elsewhere
  • Deductible waiver for windshields, door and window glass.

CONS

• No safe driver programs or discounts
  • Con third point.
  • Prices can be higher than competitors

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

500 The General Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

On Dec.3, 2018 my husband was involved in a hit an run accident (driver never caught) and we are insured by The General so I had to file a claim. It is now 2 weeks and I am getting the runaround. First I was told that my husband was excluded as a driver on the policy (which he was not), my son with the same name was excluded. Then I was told that an APPRAISAL would be done and as of today no one has looked at my car. I have made numerous phone calls and emails to my adjuster and she is not returning calls or emails. I am having to pay out of pocket for a rental and have had to pay for a tow truck, all at my own expense right before Christmas. Beware! This company is a nightmare to deal with. I do not recommend them at all. I am at the point of hiring an attorney just for my own damn insurance company to pay my claim.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

They say month to month. They cancel you if payment is not made on due date. But still take your money after due date. Was late on payment. Made payment over weekend. Had an accident over weekend and now my claim was denied. Because they didn't get it till Monday. But thank me for my payment that Saturday for payment. Bottom line - don't make any payments over the weekend with the General. RIP to the General. No car and lawsuit from other driver insurance company. Stressed. Don't know what to do. Merry no Christmas to my grandchildren.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I have had Insurance with The General since July 25 of 2018. My problems with them came over Thanksgiving weekend of this year. I made my premium payment on the website on a Saturday and later that evening I was on the website and I accidentally made another payment and there was no way to cancel it, and since it was a non business day I had to wait till Monday to contact them. I contacted them on Monday to explain what happened and asked them to cancel that additional payment and they informed me that they cannot cancel the payment and I have to go to my bank and stop the payment. I did just as they told me to do, however the next day both payments attempted to clear the bank. One was rejected cause of the stopped payment with the fee for that the payment that was supposed to clear did not so that payment was returned as well.

I contacted The General immediately after I seen what happened and I was told that the payment I needed to make will be re submitted. Make a long story short today which is Thursday I find out from The General they are not going to resubmit that payment and I would have to do another payment myself. So I did another payment on my debit card for $299.72 only to find out a couple hours later that my policy was being canceled because they considered the one stop payment I did from their direction and the other payment returned as two NSF payments and according to their policy they have to cancel mine out. They did inform me I could have my policy rewritten however but then I had to pay an additional $458 on top of the $299.72 I already paid.

What’s frustrating is I was told that if I paid that $299.72 my coverage would be in force. I have been told 3 different things now from The General. To me this company is starting to look really shady and deceptive. They got almost $800 from me today. I get some of this was my mistake however they do not seem to attempt to work with their customers. Instead they just find ways to get more money from you. I need the insurance however after this experience I will be shopping for other insurance, in the meantime I feel that I have no choice but to comply with their demands. First opportunity I get I’m leaving them. My recommendation is use this company as a last resort for insurance.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I've been with them a year and we have now switched. Our policy had lapsed so we paid the past due, got caught up, and thought we were good. NOPE. Found out in April that my license was suspended! Why? Because the General didn't bother reporting to the state that I was insured! Had to pay to get reinstated. So we have a jeep that stopped working. My husband called to have it dropped. Apparently they dropped my car as well. I just got pulled over earlier for not having insurance! My husband has been paying them. I now have to get my license reinstated AGAIN!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

I got insurance through them however it said my credit card was declined. This was the 2nd attempt I had tried so I decided to stop trying and went with another broker. The General ended up charging my card and I called multiple times and a lady told me to email underwriting so I did. She said it took 1-2 working days. After 2 working days I called back and spoke with so many different people and they all said they'd get a manager to call me back AND NO ONE CALLED ME BACK. Finally had 1 manager KELVIN ** & he hung up on me!!!

My goodness you guys need more skilled staff members! Called back today to check with underwriting because it's been over 7 days and no refund has been submitted into my account. And the lady said "they need more time." Come on you guys. What in the heck is going on in there?! I let the lady know that never mind at this point. It's just easier to cancel my other insurance and go with you guys because this is ridiculous. And she tells me... "Well now you have to email underwriting and tell them you do want your policy still." OMMMYYYGOD. By the time they get that email the NEW EMAIL, it'll be next year! Talk about a nightmare insurance company to work with. GEICO IS MUCH BETTER AND CHEAPER! I got charged $168 with The General NO ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE, Geico is at $149.00 WITH ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE!!! Be wise consumers!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Permanent General Auto Insurance (PGAC)?

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

I was hit by one they insured. It was his fault. The GENERAL ran me around on my vehicle. Heavy damage to right front end. They wanted to total it but I was smarter than that. I check the book value on my vehicle. It was able to fix not totaled. They didnt want to pay 4 grand repairs. They wanted to total it cause it was cheaper for them. They didnt want to pay for my rental car. I was out of a car cause of their insure hit me and was at fault. I had to go through 2 guys get their story straight. They try to lie about it. They are the worst INSURANCE ever. I hope no one gets hit by them. You are in for a treat. They are very dishonest, I had to be tough with them. It was crazy...

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

Been with them for a year, online it says you can change your due date once for FREE. Yet every time I try and change it, they want to charge me. Then they tell me I have 15 days grace period which is a damn lie. I pay the night before the so called lapse is going to take place, and yet they still lapse me. EVERY SINGLE MONTH!!! I try to talk to a supervisor but the little employees make up all kinds of excuses not to let you talk to supervisors. This is the most irresponsible and unprofessional insurance agency I have dealt with in my 53 years of driving. Thank goodness, I havent had to have them do a claim for me that would probably never get taken care of. I highly recommend avoiding The General Car Insurance. I will be moving to Geico or Progressive.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

6 weeks ago my vehicle was hit by a person being insured by The General Insurance company. To this day 6 weeks later I'm still waiting to hear from someone from the claims department to get back with me on my insurance check. The entire process has been extremely slow and drawn out. Very very disappointed in the amount of time that it takes to process a total loss claim. Several times I was told, "We will get back with you," in a certain amount of time and never hear from them. If I would have had to rent a car due to the loss of my vehicle I would have went broke by now! Definitely would not recommend them to anyone. I have the same exact type of accident happened 3 months ago and the insurer was insured by another company in which was taken care of from start to finish in 9 days. Big difference! For most people...I would say you are messing around with our livelihood!

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I had gotten The General Insurance because it was cheaper! Big mistake! I was recently in an accident and when I claimed it nothing was wrong and they processed the claim! A week later after they had gotten the police report and had done the estimate we were told it was being processed and someone would be in contact! Not only did I have to call the person handling the claim numerous time to find out any information on it I had to call after I had not heard anything from the about the claim. I was then told that our insurance lapsed the day of the accident. I paid every month on the same date the 27th.

After calling them the first time they couldn’t find my information, then I called a second time and was told that it was paid on the 27th and that it looked like it lapsed but it was paid but because of the 27th being a weekend that’s why it lapsed which made no sense and I asked to speak to a supervisor who I was told was going to call me and had not! Today I call again and I was told that my payment was due on the 26th of every month and it lapsed for a total of one day which just so happens to be my accident date. If it was due every month on the 26th that would mean that I lapsed every month which makes no sense because I never once received anything saying that I lapsed! After talking to a supervisor they told me there is nothing they can do and that it is what it is!

After telling them I was contacting my attorney he then said, “You can do that and we will contact ours!” Now I have to pay 4,000 in damage to my car because they did not want to pay the claim. When I talked to the body shop fixing the car they said the adjuster told them they would not pay for anything else if something internal was going on! DO NOT go with this insurance. It is cheaper monthly but you will pay dearly in the end!!! It’s not worth saving a couple bucks! Horrible company, horrible customer service, horrible experience! I will be switching insurances!!!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

They put me in debt over $190, I'm only 20 years old. Had the insurance for less than a month, they were so nice when they were receiving my card number of course. But once I canceled to move onto a BETTER company they were no longer helpful, said I owed more money when it was paid and they sent what I refused to pay to collections. Of course the lady heard nasty words from me because she was honestly a **. To keep it real they screwed me over entirely. They are good with fraud, real expensive, and have no locations unless you’re in Kentucky I believe. So my opinion, they are trash. Everyone who works for them that I have experienced is rude as hell. They don’t care about anything about you besides the money you’re forking over. So I suggest you NOT consider them at any point. Disgusting company that should definitely not even exist. Thanks for reading.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2018

I really like how easy it was to initially get a quote for the car before I purchased the policy. It is very easy to pay online and your payment information is automatically saved. I also liked the fact that you get a payment confirmation and also get an email if your payment is required for the month.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

The experience with The General has been ok. I do not feel extra special when I go there. It is like a number being pushed through and that is it. The insurance does what it needs to do, but there is nothing "wow" or I don’t get major perks. I would change, but the price is keeping me from switching for the time being. So the policy is ok, the pricing is good.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

This insurance company is the the worst you can ever get. My brand new Tacoma was T-boned and has extensive damage. My truck has been at the shop for a month and no repairs have been authorized! Myself and the repair shop have been calling daily and all we get is “we can’t do anything” BS. My truck also needs nearly 5 weeks of repair done. I’ll be surprised if I get it back before Christmas. Also, if you’re a servicemember, stay the ** away. That means you, privates. You will PCS without your vehicle, and The General doesn’t give a flyin **. If you have The General already, be prepared to get a lawyer because they will find any way to screw you over and not pay for your repairs because they gotta pay Shaq all that money for their commercials.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

Was told my bill would be $136.00 for 6 months. By the fourth month they sent me a bill for $419.00!!! When I called to inquire they said it was because they added my daughter that does not drive. I excluded her but these frauds still want to charge me for her. I spoke with a very rude supervisor by the name of Ara. He was useless. The best he was willing to do was drop my bill down to $244.47, which means that I will still have to pay for someone that does not drive my car. Stay Away from this company!!!

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I have been with The General for a year and a half now, paying all the premium religiously. I recently hit a curb when turning into a parking lot, damaging a transfer case. They refused to covered, saying that it is a mechanical issue, and not caused by the impact. This company is a fraud. Stay away from them, go somewhere else. They will find ways to deny your claim.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I literally never ever post reviews about anything. I just had to talk about my experience with this sloppy horrible company. I had insurance with the general about 2 years ago. I decided not to continue with them after experiencing problems with them overcharging me and things of that nature. I paid for my final month of coverage and then I switched companies. I thought everything was done and over. No way I look at my credit report on credit karma and lo and behold I have a collection for 166 dollars for the general car insurance.

Now mind you they are a month to month insurance company. Somehow they claimed I still owed them 166 dollars for time I wasn't even with them. So they decide too put this on my credit report and it's been on there ever since. You can't get mad at a consumer if they don't like your services and want to switch companies. So because the general was upset that I left their company they decided too put a fraudulent charge on my credit report which is not cool at all.

So with this being said fellow consumers don't walk please run and stay as far away from this company as possible. They are scam artists and rip off people who are bullies. I don't care how much money they pay NBA star Shaquille O'Neal. It's all a big scam to dupe you out of your money. This company shouldn't even be in business in the first place. So you people can't say you weren't warned because I'm warning now. DO NOT GET CAR INSURANCE WITH THIS HORRIBLE BAD COMPANY.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2018

All the times I had to deal with The General, the customer service was very helpful, and I love how you can get help no matter the time since The General has twenty four hours service help. The best part is that The General will match or beat the price of any other insurance company.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I paid on time with auto pay for six months straight. It’s so happened that I switched banks and in the resulting delay from my new direct deposit from my job, my first month on the next policy was missed and the policy lapsed. I offered to pay right away and asked if I could just continue my policy from there with auto payments since my bank account had by now been straightened out. They refused and said I needed to start over with a new quote. Since my lapsing payment now was visible when making my new quote it caused the price of my car insurance to drastically increase. I got zero help from them even though I had never paid late before.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

I got into a small accident last year and they made the process go really smooth. I was able to submit my claim and they took care of everything in a really quick manner. I've dealt with other companies before and it took a lot longer to get a claim to go through. I enjoyed the speed at which they worked for me.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I had The General when I was younger because it was difficult for me to get insurance. I had some legal trouble and they were the only company that would insure me. In that aspect they are great, they will insure anyone. But the rate was very high and I only had what was required by law.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

They said I couldn't start a new policy and then wouldn't add the coverage and kept trying to get me to sign docs that weren't even what I wanted nor was it the state minimum. They refused to work with me and said they couldn't advise me. The whole time eating up the money. In the end they charged me way more than even their quote or any other company would have for now of the coverage I needed. Same coverage as I had on an owned vehicle for one that was financed. This was them finagling a way to get more money. I paid $168 for a nothing policy that was $38 originally.

Recently got full coverage with low deductible and paid $80+ approx. Their quote was $90. I paid the $168. Then they said it would be $189 month and $500 ded. Ridiculous. They caused me so much stress. They shouldn't be in business. They were rude and made a simple situation become a nightmare. Since I'm on a fixed income also I only had so many options. They were the worst I've ever dealt with. Absolutely no care for customers other than to get the money whatever it takes!!!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I have insurance they The General, but since the accident was a rear ending I was advised by my rep to wait for the person that hit me rep to contact me. This person was also covered by The General. I received a call from Diane and after a brief conversation she accepted liability on behalf of her client. She said a check would be mailed to me as soon as possible. It was. I deposited it and unbeknownst to me The General put a stop payment on it. So now my account is overdrawn and I still have not received compensation for the accident. I am so upset and frustrated. I guess I’d better find a lawyer.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

From my experience, I believe The General is not an honest company nor are they professional. The staff I spoke to did not know what they were talking about, lied to me, and did not return my calls. Two months ago, someone rear ended me and he told me and the state trooper he had insurance through The General. I filed a claim through The General, and they denied my claim because "I was at fault," which the police report clearly showed otherwise. A man working in claims at The General proceeded to tell me my insurance company paid for the other guy's repairs, which was a lie. I called my insurance company to confirm they had not paid for anyone's repairs. Turns out the guy who rear ended me did not have insurance, and I had to spend two months calling The General and my insurance company to finally get the truth and access to coverage.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I recently filed an insurance claim on August 30th of 2018 where my vehicle struck a curb and no other vehicle. It is now October 5th and my insurance claim is now in the investigative section and my vehicle is not been repaired. My investigator initially asked for my schedule at work and my phone records. Next my investigator ask for the address phone number and name of my supervisor. It has now been well over a month and my vehicle is nowhere near being prepared or repaired. My investigator does not even live in my city or county and is not able to visit for an interview.

I am not sure why my claim is taking so long when I have insurance and I have a low deductible. I do not believe that any insurance company should take 35 day without the vehicle being repaired. The general is by far the worst Insurance Company in the world with no customer service. I think there needs to be more oversight of Adjusters.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Had an accident, slid and hit our old rental property. They completely denied the claim and lied and denied coverage to our state. Now my wife whose name the car was in is losing her license for a year and we have a judgment on use. They lied the entire process and we didn’t even get a day in court.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

My vehicle was hit on Sept. 4, 2018 by Mr.__________ of ______ Winterpock Rd.Chesterfield, VA. He was deemed to be at fault - Chesterfield Police report # **. This individual was issued a summons for reckless driving in addition to 2 other offenses. I have been going round and round with The General Ins. co. since this happened - my vehicle a 2010 Ford Explorer has been repaired as of today Sept. 28, 2018 and I was told by Caliber Collusion, 2820 Hull St. Richmond, VA 804-233-5446 that they cannot release my car because they haven't received any confirmation of payment or any money from The General.

I have been trying to speak with The General's claims adjuster, Lauren ** 844-327-9870 ** to no avail. I keep getting voicemail and no response. This also applies to email, no response. I have also called the corporate office and was told that this adjuster and her partner were either on the phone or have left the building.

I was authorized a rental vehicle on Sept. 5, 2018 for what was supposed to be the duration of the repair process. This authorization was canceled on Sept. 26, 2018 when in fact my car was still in the body shop. I tried calling to explain that my car wasn't finished and that I needed to extend the rental and got nowhere, neither Ms. ** nor her supervisor ever got back to me. I subsequently was forced to return the rental or face paying for it out of pocket. I have lost a considerable amount of business as a result of this. Please let me know how to proceed.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

Awful. I am losing my license for three months because of their horrible lack of customer skills and billing practices. But most importantly because they have liars for reps. They say that everything is fine we took care of it come to find out that was a lie. Wish I would have read these reviews before going with them. I will be seeing a lawyer about this lemon company. Anyone wanna join. I talked to other insurance companies and they are definitely in the wrong here. Run while you can. Pay a little more and go with a reputable company because these jokers need to be put outta business. I could only imagine if you got in an accident then you would really be in trouble.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

This company is a thief. I started a new policy Feb 2018 for two cars, a 17 Elantra and a 15 Elantra which are both financed. When financed you need full coverage. I told them clear as day both cars need full coverage and I gave them the name of the finance company. My payment was perfect for us until Aug 2018 it increased by $80+ which I thought was because I removed the 2015 and added a 2013. Now it’s Sept and come to find out the original payment was low because these morons only had a Liability on one car. REALLY? DO YOU PEOPLE KNOW THE LAWS? Bye bye. I’m back with Liberty Mutual where I was for the past 24 yrs. I guess the grass really isn’t greener on the other side.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Don't get The General as your insurance. They don't care about you or what happened. They seem to care more about paying the other companies JUST TO RAISE YOUR RATES. First of all the entire time they kept talking to me like I was a stranger. It made me feel real upset that they kept asking me my name, what car I drove, what year it is. REALLY? You are my insurance and you don't know what car I drive, my name, or where I live?

They asked me from person to person as I made my way from one claims to the other. Then come to find out that "even though the driver was not supposed to be driving that car/his name is not on the insurance. They will still pay and raise my rates. I was backing out of a parking lot and he spun out of nowhere and hit my car; but it's MY FAULT because I was backing out. I feel bad that I paid for the rest of the year. I am going to switch. I felt so cheated like they don't care about their customers, anything to raise your own rates is all they care about.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Don't insure your car with that little ** with the white mustache. The General they are one of only a few companies that won't pro-rate a refund of your paid up premiums when you cancel your policy and go with another company. Allstate is a good company. They don't ** their customers.

Permanent General Auto Insurance (PGAC) expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Permanent General Auto Insurance is a licensed insurance agency that offers insurance in many states. They have been in business for over 50 years and have been recognized by A.M. Best for their financial stability.

• Accepts drivers regardless of history: The General offers insurance for most drivers, even if they don't have a perfect driving record or have let their insurance lapse.

• Electronic payments: They make it easy to pay monthly bills online via their electronic platform.

• Low down payments: They keep their down payments low and affordable so that drivers can sign up for insurance, even if they don't have a lot of money upfront.

• Continuing to expand: The General is continuing to expand their coverage and has taken on new states such as West Virginia and Nebraska.

• Great customer service: The General has excellent customer service that makes it easy for drivers to contact a representative and settle claims.

• Best for: Drivers with a poor driving history and drivers who want a low down payment.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky
Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor

The General Auto Insurance Company Information

Permanent General Auto Insurance (PGAC)
www.thegeneral.com