2. Automotive

The General Auto Insurance

The General Auto Insurance
Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.70/5

The General Auto Insurance specializes in offering car insurance to high-risk drivers. The General is a verified carrier for InsuraMatch–which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. For free auto insurance quotes from The General and other verified carriers, call InsuraMatch today.

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

The General Auto Insurance Reviews

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

Being in the auto body industry. The General Insurance is the worst. Nothing is worse than these people. Just try calling up and filing a claim it takes over an hour. People on the phone don't know anything. Nobody knows nothing. Then when the adjuster finally comes and looks at the vehicle they dodged your call. They don't answer your telephone. They don't answer emails. It's been 45 days since they should have paid the claim on a vehicle we had finished. Just stay away from these people. Erie Insurance is a lot better.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2019

Do not go with The General if you want to have an accident claim done properly. If you want cheap insurance that works best without having issues that need to be brought to them then you will be fine. Our adjuster Joseph ** did a good job in the beginning and our rental they put us in was good until Friday the 13th of September. We had a car picked out already and were waiting for the total loss payout that same day but never received any response to our multiple calls and inquiries. And why would The General schedule our rental to be returned on the 13th and leave us with no car? Well that is what they did.

I had to pay out of pocket to continue to rental because we have to have transportation where Joseph ** dropped the ball. We are already up for renewal but we certainly won't renew with The General. We are now forced to wait in the dark until Monday the 16th thanks to The General. Please understand I'm an experienced older car buyer and I've never been treated this poorly with all other insurance companies I've been with over the years. Now we have to forfeit on the car we spent hours reviewing, test driving, etc. and now we are probably going to lose that car over buyers that will buy it this weekend while we still sit with a rental that I paid for, not the insurance company. VERY POOR FOLLOW THROUGH WHEN PAYMENT WAS DUE TO US FOR THE SETTLEMENT. Bad job guys!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

So I called The General, some guy named "Jonathan" was who I spoke with. He was not nice at all, did not even let me finish asking my question and cut me off say "Thank you for calling th-." I hung up on his rude **. ** whatever he was gonna say LOL.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

Obtaining an online policy was easy and quick. The main thing I didn’t like was the policy being almost double the amount than other quotes I had received. Customer service was very polite and helpful any time I called with a question.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

Very displeased with the General Insurance. Called for a quote and was told my pickup was too big and they wouldn't write a policy for it in my State. The General offers vehicle insurance they claim but watch out 'cause they don't specify vehicle!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Permanent General Auto Insurance (PGAC)?

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

In June 2018 I was involved in a wheel separation crash that damage cattle fence, injury to myself and a passenger breaking bones and 4 days hospitalization for us all. My claim was accepted by The General in July 2019. Unknowingly they denied my property claim through intimidation and to date has failed to settle our claim stating it's their statutory obligations to pay our medical expenses before any funds be granted to our claims.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

Had someone with the General Insurance clip us with their truck turning into a parking space. Their client obviously a pro at avoiding accidents. Ignored all contact and they will not accept responsibility for their client to fix our car THAT WAS PARKED. When we’d call insurance to check in they’d hang up the phone and ignore us then had the nerve to send a letter saying we didn’t comply and didn’t contact and send out half of the information?! ** company. Pray you never get hit by anyone with this riff raff insurance...

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

I feel like with The General you really get what you pay for. It's not real good coverage and I'm nervous if I ever really need them in an accident if they will really be there for me? I know they don't do a rental car if there are repairs required which sucks.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

They told me one price per month and then they found an accident on my record so they would have to charge me more money. They found an at fault accident on my record that never happened. I had proof it never happened and they still refused to fix the premiums. My old insurance company had no record of it, neither did the DMV, and neither did the company they say they got the report from. That's right. The company they said had a report of the accident sent me proof that there was no accident on my record. They wouldn't even review the proof unless I continued to pay the inflated premium. Don't do business with liars.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

I had gotten General insurance for a car I bought. I had the car like 6 hours, and it was a lemon. I was able to return it for a full refund. I cancelled my policy that day, and at first they gave me the wrong email to send my handwritten cancellation note. I get the correct email, send it out. A week later still nothing. I literally wrote them 4 times with no response! I finally call and the woman is rude on the phone... She tells me they got my email, and it takes 3 business days. It had been 4 at that point. She said I would get it soon. So now I get an alert saying my bill is due! I don't think so! I now have to call them for the billionth time and now I have to talk to someone in corporate. I refuse to let this go! I am not paying for a service with no vehicle!

The General Auto Insurance Company Information

Permanent General Auto Insurance (PGAC)
www.thegeneral.com