2. Automotive

The General Auto Insurance

The General Auto Insurance
Compare Quotes
Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.02/5

The General specializes in auto coverage policies for drivers who are high risk or who have poor credit scores. It offers affordable car insurance with low down payments and is geared toward those who might struggle to find policy providers. The General writes auto policies in 44 states.

The General Auto Insurance Compare Quotes

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

The General Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The General Auto Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Permanent General Auto Insurance (PGAC)?

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

I purchased the auto policy 2 days ago then I read the reviews. Boy was I a sucker. They took my 227 ambe. Won't give it back. That's ok. They will end giving it back 'cause I'm filing papers. They cover nothing if someone or I get into an accident. This company is worthless and apparently they don't understand English either. I have a perfect driving record for dealing with stupid morons like this. WILL NEVER RECOMMEND.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2019

Be careful when purchasing The General insurance. It is not a insurance company to use for high-end vehicles such as BMW and Mercedes-Benz. Their claim department will not valuate your vehicle fairly. I thought that they were doing me a favor by "recommending" a shop to estimate repairs. Please don't fall for this. Find your own shop that is a state certified shop and allow them to provide an estimate of your vehicle. They valued my 2011 BMW at $7600. The "recommended" repair shop estimated the value of my car to be within the threshold to declare it a total loss based on the repair costs. I don't know which came first: the repair estimate or the value estimate but it is not hard to see how easily these companies can colluded. Also, they housed my car a lot that actually buys cars so I am sure that they are going to make a profit on a 2011 BMW for $7600 when they sell it.

This system is corrupt. I usually fight these types of things but I just don't have the time or energy to do so this time. But please, please please use caution in acquiring insurance with this company. They are not helping the high risk. They are taking advantage of the high risk and those who are less knowledgeable about their rights and unable to afford to fight to gain legal recompense. I really feel that an investigation should be launched into the claims processing practices of The General. I would be interested to see the number of "total losses" they are claiming as it relates to their account holders who file a claim.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

I was recently rear ended by someone that had The General for their insurance. I was injured in the accident and my car was totaled. It took me a week to get in touch with someone after the accident. I tried calling every other day. No one was ever available, all the voice mail boxes were full, and when I'd try the option to reach an operator it would say, "I'm sorry. The voice mail box for 2167 is full. Goodbye." Then it would hang up on me.

It has been 3 and a half months since the accident, and I am still dealing with The General. They have caused delays at every turn despite me being quick to respond and getting them the information they require. It has been an infuriating experience and I will never in my life even consider using them for my own insurance. Horrible, horrible company. Kersten from the Nashville office is particularly worthless and should be fired immediately.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

Being in the auto body industry. The General Insurance is the worst. Nothing is worse than these people. Just try calling up and filing a claim it takes over an hour. People on the phone don't know anything. Nobody knows nothing. Then when the adjuster finally comes and looks at the vehicle they dodged your call. They don't answer your telephone. They don't answer emails. It's been 45 days since they should have paid the claim on a vehicle we had finished. Just stay away from these people. Erie Insurance is a lot better.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2019

Do not go with The General if you want to have an accident claim done properly. If you want cheap insurance that works best without having issues that need to be brought to them then you will be fine. Our adjuster Joseph ** did a good job in the beginning and our rental they put us in was good until Friday the 13th of September. We had a car picked out already and were waiting for the total loss payout that same day but never received any response to our multiple calls and inquiries. And why would The General schedule our rental to be returned on the 13th and leave us with no car? Well that is what they did.

I had to pay out of pocket to continue to rental because we have to have transportation where Joseph ** dropped the ball. We are already up for renewal but we certainly won't renew with The General. We are now forced to wait in the dark until Monday the 16th thanks to The General. Please understand I'm an experienced older car buyer and I've never been treated this poorly with all other insurance companies I've been with over the years. Now we have to forfeit on the car we spent hours reviewing, test driving, etc. and now we are probably going to lose that car over buyers that will buy it this weekend while we still sit with a rental that I paid for, not the insurance company. VERY POOR FOLLOW THROUGH WHEN PAYMENT WAS DUE TO US FOR THE SETTLEMENT. Bad job guys!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

So I called The General, some guy named "Jonathan" was who I spoke with. He was not nice at all, did not even let me finish asking my question and cut me off say "Thank you for calling th-." I hung up on his rude **. ** whatever he was gonna say LOL.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

Obtaining an online policy was easy and quick. The main thing I didn’t like was the policy being almost double the amount than other quotes I had received. Customer service was very polite and helpful any time I called with a question.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

Very displeased with the General Insurance. Called for a quote and was told my pickup was too big and they wouldn't write a policy for it in my State. The General offers vehicle insurance they claim but watch out 'cause they don't specify vehicle!!!

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

In June 2018 I was involved in a wheel separation crash that damage cattle fence, injury to myself and a passenger breaking bones and 4 days hospitalization for us all. My claim was accepted by The General in July 2019. Unknowingly they denied my property claim through intimidation and to date has failed to settle our claim stating it's their statutory obligations to pay our medical expenses before any funds be granted to our claims.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

Had someone with the General Insurance clip us with their truck turning into a parking space. Their client obviously a pro at avoiding accidents. Ignored all contact and they will not accept responsibility for their client to fix our car THAT WAS PARKED. When we’d call insurance to check in they’d hang up the phone and ignore us then had the nerve to send a letter saying we didn’t comply and didn’t contact and send out half of the information?! ** company. Pray you never get hit by anyone with this riff raff insurance...

The General Auto Insurance Company Information

Permanent General Auto Insurance (PGAC)
www.thegeneral.com