Fast Free Quotes

The General Auto Insurance
3.69/5

The General Auto Insurance

ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

The General Auto Insurance specializes in offering car insurance to high-risk drivers. The General is a verified carrier for InsuraMatch–which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. For free auto insurance quotes from The General and other verified carriers, call InsuraMatch today.

Fast Free Quotes

Start Saving on Car Insurance Today

Compare Rates

The General Auto Insurance Reviews

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

Had someone with the General Insurance clip us with their truck turning into a parking space. Their client obviously a pro at avoiding accidents. Ignored all contact and they will not accept responsibility for their client to fix our car THAT WAS PARKED. When we’d call insurance to check in they’d hang up the phone and ignore us then had the nerve to send a letter saying we didn’t comply and didn’t contact and send out half of the information?! ** company. Pray you never get hit by anyone with this riff raff insurance...

Original review: Sept. 4, 2019

I feel like with The General you really get what you pay for. It's not real good coverage and I'm nervous if I ever really need them in an accident if they will really be there for me? I know they don't do a rental car if there are repairs required which sucks.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

They told me one price per month and then they found an accident on my record so they would have to charge me more money. They found an at fault accident on my record that never happened. I had proof it never happened and they still refused to fix the premiums. My old insurance company had no record of it, neither did the DMV, and neither did the company they say they got the report from. That's right. The company they said had a report of the accident sent me proof that there was no accident on my record. They wouldn't even review the proof unless I continued to pay the inflated premium. Don't do business with liars.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2019

I had gotten General insurance for a car I bought. I had the car like 6 hours, and it was a lemon. I was able to return it for a full refund. I cancelled my policy that day, and at first they gave me the wrong email to send my handwritten cancellation note. I get the correct email, send it out. A week later still nothing. I literally wrote them 4 times with no response! I finally call and the woman is rude on the phone... She tells me they got my email, and it takes 3 business days. It had been 4 at that point. She said I would get it soon. So now I get an alert saying my bill is due! I don't think so! I now have to call them for the billionth time and now I have to talk to someone in corporate. I refuse to let this go! I am not paying for a service with no vehicle!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

The General continued to bill me after I cancelled and switched to another company. Reported me to collection and forced me to pay to keep it off my credit report. I would not recommend this company to anyone.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Permanent General Auto Insurance (PGAC)?

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

I was in an accident involving The General's client. THE GENERAL will not pay for my car so I'm seeking counsel. How can they get away with not fixing my ride to work? I will find out. It was an Enterprise rent a car that struck me. They must be in bed together.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

Worst customer relations experience I’ve ever been through in my life. I just got off the phone with Anthony in customer relations and he blatantly lied to me about the app. Said that if you click on pay now there’s a button where you can click it adjust auto pay. There is no button that exist. I have the links. I have the app on my phone. It does not exist on a recorded line. He took no regards in lying. They were taking three hundred dollars a month out of our account for the last 10 months on auto pay. I had my wallet lost and stolen so I got a new card went to all my apps of all my credit cards and insurance on all apps. I was able to adjust my new numbers and keep everything the same and going except one credit card Discover which after calling them they realize it should link their system. If it wipes their system it should wipe my app so I don’t look at my app and think that everything is all good and dandy.

They reversed their late fee after several conversations with the General and no regards will they do anything of that nature. Never did I ever receive any emails or anything until five days after my insurance was supposedly canceled then I made numerous calls and contacted them with no return in any efforts. They don’t care about how they mess with your livelihood. I would pray ppl think twice before going to the insurance company. I’ve been 18 years with never a lapsed payment in my life and now because of these people I might have one. I would suggest maybe progressive American family or liberty financial. All are way better insurance companies than the general. They may give you a little but they will mess with your history and auto payment every month and talk to you like you're not important. Please look into other companies. I am not just bitter. It’s the best advice I can give any one. I am looking out for you cause they wont be.

Original review: July 5, 2019

They have you select a due date when you sign up with them, then demand payment 1 or two days before the date. Your policy gets canceled on the bill due date not after it. Not to mention our second month was 80 dollars more expensive than our first for no apparent reason, even though it says we have discounts.

Original review: June 12, 2019

I have had a pretty positive experience with this company until I went to renew my 3 car tags just to find out that the registration lady have been cancelled due to non verification of insurance. I call numerous times only to get an incompetent person to send me the Letter of Experience instead of The State of Alabama Tag office. In total I called 12 times and I received 12 letters that weren’t even supposed to be sent to me. Since I couldn’t get my insurance company to verify, even though I had all the proof, I received a fine of $200 per car plus the cost of my tags.

I waited until the last day on my policy to cancel and they have the audacity to try to charge me for it. It was the last day before renewal too. 6 hrs left on policy and they are charging me $60. Even told me they don’t have to verify with states. If it’s law I don’t understand why this company can practice and consumers have to pay fines because they aren’t doing their jobs. Went with Progressive which was so much cheaper and took two minutes for them to verify for me to get my registrations and tags. Stay away!!!

Original review: June 10, 2019

They have extremely bad and worthless customer service and they don't listen to their customers at all. And then they charge more when you take a automobile off your policy. You would figure taking one off the monthly price would go down. Nope it went up. Figure that. And we have a cancel notice. I made a payment for 88.00 for June. And we owe 100.00 yet for the June bill and we got a cancel notice for June 14. Sobs are worthless to work with.

The General Auto Insurance Company Information

Permanent General Auto Insurance (PGAC)
www.thegeneral.com