Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
The General Auto Insurance
1.44/5

The General Auto Insurance

ConsumerAffairs Verified Brand

The General Auto Insurance specializes in offering car insurance to high-risk drivers. The General is a verified carrier for InsuraMatch–which powers the *ConsumerAffairs insurance program. For free auto insurance quotes from The General and other verified carriers, call InsuraMatch today.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

518 The General Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I had gotten The General Insurance because it was cheaper! Big mistake! I was recently in an accident and when I claimed it nothing was wrong and they processed the claim! A week later after they had gotten the police report and had done the estimate we were told it was being processed and someone would be in contact! Not only did I have to call the person handling the claim numerous time to find out any information on it I had to call after I had not heard anything from the about the claim. I was then told that our insurance lapsed the day of the accident. I paid every month on the same date the 27th.

After calling them the first time they couldn’t find my information, then I called a second time and was told that it was paid on the 27th and that it looked like it lapsed but it was paid but because of the 27th being a weekend that’s why it lapsed which made no sense and I asked to speak to a supervisor who I was told was going to call me and had not! Today I call again and I was told that my payment was due on the 26th of every month and it lapsed for a total of one day which just so happens to be my accident date. If it was due every month on the 26th that would mean that I lapsed every month which makes no sense because I never once received anything saying that I lapsed! After talking to a supervisor they told me there is nothing they can do and that it is what it is!

After telling them I was contacting my attorney he then said, “You can do that and we will contact ours!” Now I have to pay 4,000 in damage to my car because they did not want to pay the claim. When I talked to the body shop fixing the car they said the adjuster told them they would not pay for anything else if something internal was going on! DO NOT go with this insurance. It is cheaper monthly but you will pay dearly in the end!!! It’s not worth saving a couple bucks! Horrible company, horrible customer service, horrible experience! I will be switching insurances!!!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

They put me in debt over $190, I'm only 20 years old. Had the insurance for less than a month, they were so nice when they were receiving my card number of course. But once I canceled to move onto a BETTER company they were no longer helpful, said I owed more money when it was paid and they sent what I refused to pay to collections. Of course the lady heard nasty words from me because she was honestly a **. To keep it real they screwed me over entirely. They are good with fraud, real expensive, and have no locations unless you’re in Kentucky I believe. So my opinion, they are trash. Everyone who works for them that I have experienced is rude as hell. They don’t care about anything about you besides the money you’re forking over. So I suggest you NOT consider them at any point. Disgusting company that should definitely not even exist. Thanks for reading.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2018

This insurance company is the the worst you can ever get. My brand new Tacoma was T-boned and has extensive damage. My truck has been at the shop for a month and no repairs have been authorized! Myself and the repair shop have been calling daily and all we get is “we can’t do anything” BS. My truck also needs nearly 5 weeks of repair done. I’ll be surprised if I get it back before Christmas. Also, if you’re a servicemember, stay the ** away. That means you, privates. You will PCS without your vehicle, and The General doesn’t give a flyin **. If you have The General already, be prepared to get a lawyer because they will find any way to screw you over and not pay for your repairs because they gotta pay Shaq all that money for their commercials.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

Was told my bill would be $136.00 for 6 months. By the fourth month they sent me a bill for $419.00!!! When I called to inquire they said it was because they added my daughter that does not drive. I excluded her but these frauds still want to charge me for her. I spoke with a very rude supervisor by the name of Ara. He was useless. The best he was willing to do was drop my bill down to $244.47, which means that I will still have to pay for someone that does not drive my car. Stay Away from this company!!!

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I have been with The General for a year and a half now, paying all the premium religiously. I recently hit a curb when turning into a parking lot, damaging a transfer case. They refused to covered, saying that it is a mechanical issue, and not caused by the impact. This company is a fraud. Stay away from them, go somewhere else. They will find ways to deny your claim.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Permanent General Auto Insurance (PGAC)?

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I literally never ever post reviews about anything. I just had to talk about my experience with this sloppy horrible company. I had insurance with the general about 2 years ago. I decided not to continue with them after experiencing problems with them overcharging me and things of that nature. I paid for my final month of coverage and then I switched companies. I thought everything was done and over. No way I look at my credit report on credit karma and lo and behold I have a collection for 166 dollars for the general car insurance.

Now mind you they are a month to month insurance company. Somehow they claimed I still owed them 166 dollars for time I wasn't even with them. So they decide too put this on my credit report and it's been on there ever since. You can't get mad at a consumer if they don't like your services and want to switch companies. So because the general was upset that I left their company they decided too put a fraudulent charge on my credit report which is not cool at all.

So with this being said fellow consumers don't walk please run and stay as far away from this company as possible. They are scam artists and rip off people who are bullies. I don't care how much money they pay NBA star Shaquille O'Neal. It's all a big scam to dupe you out of your money. This company shouldn't even be in business in the first place. So you people can't say you weren't warned because I'm warning now. DO NOT GET CAR INSURANCE WITH THIS HORRIBLE BAD COMPANY.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2018

I paid on time with auto pay for six months straight. It’s so happened that I switched banks and in the resulting delay from my new direct deposit from my job, my first month on the next policy was missed and the policy lapsed. I offered to pay right away and asked if I could just continue my policy from there with auto payments since my bank account had by now been straightened out. They refused and said I needed to start over with a new quote. Since my lapsing payment now was visible when making my new quote it caused the price of my car insurance to drastically increase. I got zero help from them even though I had never paid late before.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I had The General when I was younger because it was difficult for me to get insurance. I had some legal trouble and they were the only company that would insure me. In that aspect they are great, they will insure anyone. But the rate was very high and I only had what was required by law.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2018

They said I couldn't start a new policy and then wouldn't add the coverage and kept trying to get me to sign docs that weren't even what I wanted nor was it the state minimum. They refused to work with me and said they couldn't advise me. The whole time eating up the money. In the end they charged me way more than even their quote or any other company would have for now of the coverage I needed. Same coverage as I had on an owned vehicle for one that was financed. This was them finagling a way to get more money. I paid $168 for a nothing policy that was $38 originally.

Recently got full coverage with low deductible and paid $80+ approx. Their quote was $90. I paid the $168. Then they said it would be $189 month and $500 ded. Ridiculous. They caused me so much stress. They shouldn't be in business. They were rude and made a simple situation become a nightmare. Since I'm on a fixed income also I only had so many options. They were the worst I've ever dealt with. Absolutely no care for customers other than to get the money whatever it takes!!!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I have insurance they The General, but since the accident was a rear ending I was advised by my rep to wait for the person that hit me rep to contact me. This person was also covered by The General. I received a call from Diane and after a brief conversation she accepted liability on behalf of her client. She said a check would be mailed to me as soon as possible. It was. I deposited it and unbeknownst to me The General put a stop payment on it. So now my account is overdrawn and I still have not received compensation for the accident. I am so upset and frustrated. I guess I’d better find a lawyer.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

From my experience, I believe The General is not an honest company nor are they professional. The staff I spoke to did not know what they were talking about, lied to me, and did not return my calls. Two months ago, someone rear ended me and he told me and the state trooper he had insurance through The General. I filed a claim through The General, and they denied my claim because "I was at fault," which the police report clearly showed otherwise. A man working in claims at The General proceeded to tell me my insurance company paid for the other guy's repairs, which was a lie. I called my insurance company to confirm they had not paid for anyone's repairs. Turns out the guy who rear ended me did not have insurance, and I had to spend two months calling The General and my insurance company to finally get the truth and access to coverage.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2018

I recently filed an insurance claim on August 30th of 2018 where my vehicle struck a curb and no other vehicle. It is now October 5th and my insurance claim is now in the investigative section and my vehicle is not been repaired. My investigator initially asked for my schedule at work and my phone records. Next my investigator ask for the address phone number and name of my supervisor. It has now been well over a month and my vehicle is nowhere near being prepared or repaired. My investigator does not even live in my city or county and is not able to visit for an interview.

I am not sure why my claim is taking so long when I have insurance and I have a low deductible. I do not believe that any insurance company should take 35 day without the vehicle being repaired. The general is by far the worst Insurance Company in the world with no customer service. I think there needs to be more oversight of Adjusters.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

Had an accident, slid and hit our old rental property. They completely denied the claim and lied and denied coverage to our state. Now my wife whose name the car was in is losing her license for a year and we have a judgment on use. They lied the entire process and we didn’t even get a day in court.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

My vehicle was hit on Sept. 4, 2018 by Mr.__________ of ______ Winterpock Rd.Chesterfield, VA. He was deemed to be at fault - Chesterfield Police report # **. This individual was issued a summons for reckless driving in addition to 2 other offenses. I have been going round and round with The General Ins. co. since this happened - my vehicle a 2010 Ford Explorer has been repaired as of today Sept. 28, 2018 and I was told by Caliber Collusion, 2820 Hull St. Richmond, VA 804-233-5446 that they cannot release my car because they haven't received any confirmation of payment or any money from The General.

I have been trying to speak with The General's claims adjuster, Lauren ** 844-327-9870 ** to no avail. I keep getting voicemail and no response. This also applies to email, no response. I have also called the corporate office and was told that this adjuster and her partner were either on the phone or have left the building.

I was authorized a rental vehicle on Sept. 5, 2018 for what was supposed to be the duration of the repair process. This authorization was canceled on Sept. 26, 2018 when in fact my car was still in the body shop. I tried calling to explain that my car wasn't finished and that I needed to extend the rental and got nowhere, neither Ms. ** nor her supervisor ever got back to me. I subsequently was forced to return the rental or face paying for it out of pocket. I have lost a considerable amount of business as a result of this. Please let me know how to proceed.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

Awful. I am losing my license for three months because of their horrible lack of customer skills and billing practices. But most importantly because they have liars for reps. They say that everything is fine we took care of it come to find out that was a lie. Wish I would have read these reviews before going with them. I will be seeing a lawyer about this lemon company. Anyone wanna join. I talked to other insurance companies and they are definitely in the wrong here. Run while you can. Pay a little more and go with a reputable company because these jokers need to be put outta business. I could only imagine if you got in an accident then you would really be in trouble.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2018

This company is a thief. I started a new policy Feb 2018 for two cars, a 17 Elantra and a 15 Elantra which are both financed. When financed you need full coverage. I told them clear as day both cars need full coverage and I gave them the name of the finance company. My payment was perfect for us until Aug 2018 it increased by $80+ which I thought was because I removed the 2015 and added a 2013. Now it’s Sept and come to find out the original payment was low because these morons only had a Liability on one car. REALLY? DO YOU PEOPLE KNOW THE LAWS? Bye bye. I’m back with Liberty Mutual where I was for the past 24 yrs. I guess the grass really isn’t greener on the other side.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

Don't get The General as your insurance. They don't care about you or what happened. They seem to care more about paying the other companies JUST TO RAISE YOUR RATES. First of all the entire time they kept talking to me like I was a stranger. It made me feel real upset that they kept asking me my name, what car I drove, what year it is. REALLY? You are my insurance and you don't know what car I drive, my name, or where I live?

They asked me from person to person as I made my way from one claims to the other. Then come to find out that "even though the driver was not supposed to be driving that car/his name is not on the insurance. They will still pay and raise my rates. I was backing out of a parking lot and he spun out of nowhere and hit my car; but it's MY FAULT because I was backing out. I feel bad that I paid for the rest of the year. I am going to switch. I felt so cheated like they don't care about their customers, anything to raise your own rates is all they care about.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Don't insure your car with that little ** with the white mustache. The General they are one of only a few companies that won't pro-rate a refund of your paid up premiums when you cancel your policy and go with another company. Allstate is a good company. They don't ** their customers.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I asked why my premium increased. I was told it was because I moved. That's a reason??? They kept saying the same thing over and over. I moved to a less congested area a MILE from where I was before, less crime, and my car is now parked inside of a garage. I asked how underwriting came up with an increase simply because I moved. Their response? "Underwriting doesn't answer those kinds of questions". I asked, "Can someone answer the question intelligently?" Their response "the answer is that your premium increased because you moved". BYE BYE GENERAL!!

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

My wife and I purchased insurance for her and myself with General. We went along several months paying the agreed upon rate, only to call in to make a payment one month and have them state that we owed them $400 MORE than our monthly payment. Was due to their running some sort of Nexus scan and they claimed we had a street kid that we had let use our address to get some mail that he needed living with us and had hiked our rate accordingly since he had such a bad driving record. The boy had never touched one of our vehicles.

We had received a cancellation notice stating that our insurance would be canceled at the end of the month. When I called a few days before the end of the month, they refused to remove the extra charges, so I informed them that I was going to get insurance elsewhere. I then got insurance through Geico (at half the rate of the General). Now, several months later, they've turned us into collections for a month's worth of insurance that we didn't have! As far as I concerned, what they're doing is nothing short of organized crime. I now cringe every time I see that little thief and his cohort in crime Shaq O'Neil come on the TV and try to con more unsuspecting folks into their scam.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2018

I had a policy for a year, at renewal time they increased my rates $10 per month for no reason. I had no accidents nor tickets. I researched other insurance options and found out I was paying way too much! I ended up getting a policy at Nationwide with a little better coverage, including roadside assistance for less than half than what I was paying on my original policy with The General! I was amazed. Then I felt dumb that when I originally bought The General policy I used one of those sites that supposedly check all sites for the best rates, but actually it only checks the 4-5 that pay to be on the site. Live and learn, and now I pay a whole lot less!

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

I've already got good coverage through Geico but decided since we are on such a limited income and tight budget so decided to just see if we could do better. Waste of time. DOUBLE what we are paying now for identical coverage. What a joke. Considering my wife and I are in our late fifties with extremely good driving records and no other drivers in the home. They quoted me nearly $1000 a year! Are you JOKING?! I've already been paying less than half that for over ten years. So where's the great discounts?

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

These people are cons... I took out a policy and paid a down payment of over $100, just to have them cancel me (my driving record is very good!) 6 days later. I assumed I would receive a refund of something but instead I got a bill for another $114! Lmao!! Good luck collecting that General???

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

I started my insurance with The General on the 30th of June which my monthly was going to be 121 with a downpayment of 186. Five days later I called to add another vehicle which let me tell you was a headache of its own. Well with me adding another car which was only liability my monthly went up to 305. So I decided to cancel. When I cancelled I thought I’d get most of my money back but was I wrong. Coverage for 4 and a half days costed me 120. They charged me a month payment for 5 days coverage. Never will I even consider this company for insurance. Their system sucks and they will rip you off. Look elsewhere people unless you can afford to lose money for nothing.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Beware of this company. They raised my rates so, I canceled & did not renew back with them. I got another insurance policy with their competitors. They started charging me all sorts of fees for services that they never provided, to or for me after my policy had ended. They put me into collections & threatened to ruin my credit unless I paid their made up charges. I disputed so many times with this company & their collection company to get nowhere with them. They eventually ruined my credit because I did not pay their ransom (made up charges). I am in the process of legal counsel to hold this company accountable for what they have done & the damages they caused. Please be very careful with this company & do your homework. I am a very very upset person with them & want to get word out of how they are.

Original review: July 28, 2018

Shaq should be ashamed! Two vehicles - paid coverage for a year. Ran over debris and it’s been NINE weeks. I didn’t get rental coverage or I’m SURE my car would be fixed by now. I noticed that the GOOD reviews here have never filed a claim. I hope you don’t have to go through the General’s BS when you need them. Does it REALLY take over TWO months to get your vehicle fixed? I’ve now contacted the WA State Insurance Commissioner. I’m betting The General will do their job now.

Original review: July 27, 2018

I started with The General in 2015. I had 2 vehicles on my policy. A 2006 Chevy Express and a 2008 Mazda CX-7. On Dec 16 2016 I donated the Chevy Express to Kars4Kids. I called The General telling them the van was no longer on the road. I donated the van to Kars4Kids. I was reading my policy for some reason. Around 08/2017 the van is still on my policy. I call The General. Really po'd it must of been a mistake. A month ago in July 2018 the van is still on my policy. I think to myself there is something going on here. By keeping the second vehicle on the road they are receiving payment for that while knowing that the

vehicle will never have a claim because it is not on the road. I have a feeling I am not the only one this happened to. Why else would an insurance not take the vehicle off the road, I have a feeling there might be enough people to start a class action.

Original review: July 17, 2018

Words fail me. I have never ever dealt with such an asinine company sending out notice of cancellation when I paid 2 months in advance and 10 days early. Every rep I speak with says ‘that’s what they do...’ We get huge numbers of complaints but nothing changes and yes it’s a Mickey Mouse company. Even the recordings sound like they were made by some uneducated person. Absolutely horrible customer service.

Original review: July 16, 2018

Policy stated 33.00 premium payment. Invoice states 33.00 but have paid 52.00 consistently. Cancel policy on due date and charge reinstatement fees even though should be next payment on date policy started. Asked about price hike and they said they didn't know why it would be stated as 33.00 but when I look at my recent invoice it states the payment at 33.00 even though they are billing 51.00. Very strange practices with billing. Fraudulent practices, no real explanations. Tried to pay bill on 16th only gave me an option for the 17th. Very weird. Will cancel as they quote one thing, invoice same, then bill is totally different online. Just not sure how they do business.

Original review: July 13, 2018

I would not recommend anyone using this insurance company for anything. I was in an auto accident and the agent with this company has been rude, disrespectful to myself as well as the person driving the vehicle I was riding in. They do not return their calls and when they do they take it upon themselves to try to browbeat the customer into settling as well as say things one way and then switch it around. They also take it upon themselves to make decisions for the customer against what the customer may have said. So if you are in an accident and the person who hit you has the general hire a lawyer as you will not be treated decently by any of the agents who work for the general auto insurance.

The General Auto Insurance Company Information

Permanent General Auto Insurance (PGAC)
www.thegeneral.com