2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.24/5

NJM provides car insurance for drivers in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. The company offers a wide selection of auto coverage policies and discounts, and it pays dividends to its policyholders at an average of 5% of its yearly premiums. It covers several vehicle types, including classic and collector's cars.

BOTTOM LINE

NJM offers coverage for a variety of vehicles. It provides several discounts and services, including for comprehensive and collision coverage. It's available only in Pennsylvania, Connecticut and New Jersey.

PROS
  • Pet accident insurance
  • Covers several vehicle types
  • New car coverage
CONS
  • Limited availability
  • Not ideal for high-risk drivers

Top NJM Auto Insurance Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about NJM Auto Insurance?

I've had NJM for over 40 years. They always send a rebate check if you do not have an accident. I have received a check for over 40 years. Good customer service…. All in all NJM has been a great company to all my friends family and co- workers in PD and FD.

Been with them for almost 20 years and have never had any difficulty whatsoever. There are no middlemen and no shareholders so success and failure is shared by all policy holders. Fair Prices and great service.

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

What is NJM auto insurance?

NJM is an insurance company that offers specialty auto coverage, including motorcycle, ATV, classic and collector's car, boat and personal watercraft insurance. It provides comprehensive and collision coverage, liability insurance and personal injury protection and also has options for pet coverage, which can pay up to $1,000 for treatment if your dog or cat is injured in a car accident.

NJM offers three transportation options for when your car is in the shop as a result of a covered loss: you can take a taxi, use a ride-share company or drive a rental car. The company also has an option for new car replacement coverage — if you own a new car with fewer than 15,000 miles and it’s totaled or stolen within 12 months of purchase, NJM will cover replacement costs.

How does NJM auto insurance work?

NJM offers customizable auto coverage, including gap insurance, which covers some or all of the difference between the loan or lease amount and total loss coverage. You can also add roadside assistance to cover events like help with a flat tire or dead battery, emergency towing and locksmith services. The NJM website lets you make payments, report and view claims, see and print ID cards, read policy details and upload documents to your account.

NJM auto insurance quotes and costs

Insurance rates depend on location, driver’s age and history and other factors. NJM offers various discounts, though the specifics of each discount vary from place to place. If you complete a defensive driving or driving training course, enroll in electronic payments or are a student with a GPA of at least 3.0, you’re eligible for discounts. Other NJM discounts include multivehicle, new car, paid-in-full and paperless savings, as well as home and auto coverage bundles.

NJM auto insurance FAQ

Can anyone get NJM car insurance?
All drivers can apply for NJM insurance, but its coverage is available only in three states.
Where is NJM car insurance available?
NJM auto insurance is available in Connecticut, New Jersey and Pennsylvania.
Does NJM have accident forgiveness?
NJM doesn’t disclose whether or not it offers accident forgiveness on its website. If you’re interested in accident forgiveness coverage, ask an NJM representative about this service.
Does NJM cover windshield repair?
Yes. NJM’s comprehensive insurance covers windshield repair, and the company will waive your deductible if your auto glass can be repaired rather than replaced. If a replacement is required, your comprehensive deductible applies.

Is NJM auto insurance good?

NJM is a good company with various discounts and customizable insurance options like pet coverage, personal injury protection and transportation expenses. Although its availability is limited to drivers in Connecticut, New Jersey and Pennsylvania, it’s likely a worthwhile option for those in its service area.

NJM Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about NJM Auto Insurance?

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

Was with Mercury ins. The renewal had an increase, asked agent why your accident 3 yrs ago. That was a non chargeable accident, hit & run in my own driveway renewal would be over $2000.00 per yr. Started to go A ton in phone book every was either a 6 month policy which I don't take or wanted to charge for 3 yr old accident. Found one which I had skipped over, since it was always you had to work for a company who was insured by them or have them as your home ins. Co. Gave it a shot. They do sell to general public & let me say they requested a copy of the accident report & confirmed it was not chargeable & my rates should not have jumped as they did.

I got all my discounts & pay &1500. Full coverage. $500 deductible, NO AGENT. THAT'S THE KEY. Just as its said the only good lawyer is a dead one. Same for ins. agents. They should all go out of business, they rate you in codes you can't understand but their pocket does. Don't care how nice he/she seems. They are blood suckers. Do your homework. Call. Look for companies with DIRECT SALES. You will get much better rates & service.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

Although this company is not open to the general public. It is open to mostly state and Municipal workers. You need a clean driving record for 3 years before they will consider your application. It has great rates, great discounts and pays well if you get into an accident. Also, unlike other companies it will only use genuine parts on your vehicle if you get into an accident.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 24, 2020

NJM pays claims quickly. They do not raise rates for moving violations or accidents. Discount if you buy home insurance too. They provide a full line of insurance services like umbrella policies at reasonably rates. I have been with this company for all my insurance needs since 1988 when my previous insurance company tried to gauge me for something that was not my fault. I Highly recommend NJM.

Original review: July 23, 2020

I've had NJM for over 40 years. They always send a rebate check if you do not have an accident. I have received a check for over 40 years. Good customer service but not great. I Had an issue in the past - car break in and I thought they could have been better at paying me for a loss in a timely manner. They did when pressed. All in all NJM has been a great company to all my friends family and co- workers in PD and FD.

Original review: March 15, 2020

I have been with NJ Manufacturers for 6 years. Always paid on time, no tickets for 17 years, I get in one accident that wasn't even my fault and the claims adjuster didn't even fight for me. Like why am I giving your company business if your not going to protect me. The other driver had road rage and I got a ticket because he slammed on his brakes on a ramp getting off the parkway and I hit him from behind. He said he yielded to traffic and the ramp went into its own lane. The cop believed him his excuse for stopping. But he didn't tell the cop how he got out of his car while I was on the phone with 9-1-1 and said, "you want to give me the ** finger, well now ** you."

The court granted me a probable cause ticket against him because they at least saw road rage, the insurance, all the said was, the police report has to be amended. I get it amended and they still said it's my fault and that they do not do accident forgiveness. After all these years of being a customer and giving them my money, they should be ashamed of how Aja is handling claims. This accident would have never happened if he didn't dead stop on a ramp to a sign that was never there. I'm pissed and switching immediately.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2019

NJM is the worst - maximize profit at the cost of their own subscribers and morality. A vehicle recently hit my new car from behind. I have dash cam footage of the incident. It shows the offending car without any turn signal, in one of the 2 turn lanes. I take the turn and complete it from within my clearly marked lane, then they ram into me. NJM insures the at fault driver, and they claimed I was at fault because I turned into the lane of the at fault driver, but this is because he hit me and caused me to swerve! The audio in the dash cam clearly shows this. Geico has been great, taking them to arbitration and even giving me half my deductible up front regardless of what the arbitrator decides, and when they win I get the other half.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

KAREN ** EXTENSION ** is trying to take advantage of a mentally disabled woman!!! She is rude and inconsiderate of people with disabilities and someone trying to help them. She is not a trustworthy person and how she can work fro NJM is horrible. They should really look into who they hire. She gives bad information and won't admit her fault. Now she is acting as a collection agent. Maybe that's where she should work for a bill collector. Then she will fit right in.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

NJM Insurance literally kicked me off of my auto insurance policy without notice and told me I am not able to reinstate or open a new policy with them for 3 years! Here's what happened: I bought a new car in January (2019) after my very first car was totaled while parked (some people shouldn't be allowed outside when it snows). I was shopping around for insurance and went with NJM because it was referred to me by my car dealer (thank you Danis Auto). The very first conversation I had, was with a nice lady who helped me open my policy right away so that I can get on the road and start driving. My quote was $203 a month for full tort, and all the bells and whistles.

4 months went by and I was tired of calling each time to make payments over the phone and so I asked them if they had an app that I can download to make payments online and they said no, I would have to go to their website from my computer to make payments (It's 2019 people, why don't you have an app for convenience?). I then asked them about an auto-pay option and was told I'd have to go to the website to set that up as well because they can't do that over the phone. (But you can take normal payments over the phone???).

So, I continued calling each month to make my payments until July. In July, I called them and this time asked if they'd be able to do the auto-pay set up for me because I couldn't figure it out online (they don't have the most user-friendly website). I was then told by the insurance rep that they can just use my account number and routing number and all should be good. I provided her with all of my information and trusted I was now enrolled in auto-pay.

Now, it's October (and maybe this is somewhat my fault) I look into my bank statements and notice the last payment from NJM was made in July. So, now I'm confused. I called these folks and apologized for the inconvenience of missing the fact that no payments have been posted since July but I thought I was enrolled in auto-pay. They CLAIMED to have sent letters to me stating my insurance payment was overdue and that they were going to cancel my policy as of September 25, 2019. I swear, I NEVER received a letter, a call, a text, nor an email about any late or missed payments.

I was also told by a rep that "THEY WILL NOT CALL OR EMAIL YOU". I told them about the whole auto-pay mix up offered to pay whatever was owed plus this month and they said no. To put the icing on the cake I CANNOT OPEN A NEW POLICY FOR UP TO 3 YEARS! Now after 10 minutes of trying to smooth things over, (though they could've done a better job at informing me of these issues) I sucked it up and said okay and thank you for your time.

I spent the next hour shopping around for quotes and the prices were TRIPLE what I was paying at NJM because of this whole lapsed insurance thing (YUP, THEY SENT A LETTER TO THE STATE AS WELL AND EVERY INSURANCE COMPANY SEES I DEFAULTED ON PAYMENTS) and so I'm screwed into paying $600 a month for a used 2015 MAZDA 3. I tried to call NJM back to speak with higher-ups who may have some sympathy and can help me out and literally NO ONE at NJM was willing to help me. I even asked if they could write another letter to the state about this whole mix up just so I can get insurance elsewhere at a decent rate. They still said it's nothing they can do. If you're looking for a company that REALLY "has your back" NJM IS NOT IT!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

No one in the US is close. Auto, home insurance. Hours to call as needed. Claims are processed fast and efficiency, honestly and more than fair. Price, transparency, service. Ease of changes. Exceeds expectations in all regards.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

Had NJM for 40 years, easy to deal with, no hassle claim submitting, very knowledgeable staff. They are are a little higher in rates than other insurance companies but the great customer service makes up for that.

NJM Auto Insurance Company Information