Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
3.29/5

NJM Auto Insurance

NJM Auto Insurance provides home, business and auto insurance to clients in New Jersey. NJM is not one of InsuraMatch's verified partners. If you want to receive multiple quotes from insurance providers, contact InsuraMatch for quick results. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

NJM provides auto insurance to customers in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Along with a selection of car insurance coverages and discounts, it pays dividends to its policyholders at an average of 5 percent of the yearly premium each year. It receives positive reviews for its high customer satisfaction with claims processing.

PROS

• Online policy management
  • Competitive rates
  • Strong financial stability
  • Local agents greatly familiar with local driving laws
  • Exceptional customer experience on auto claims

CONS

• No coverage on mechanical breakdown, personal property and pet injury
  • Coverage limited to New Jersey and Pennsylvania residents

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

38 NJM Auto Insurance Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 29, 2019

I was involved in a motor vehicle accident where the other driver was insured by NJM and took responsibility, there was also a police report with pictures taken. My injuries required a couple doctor visits following an emergency room visit. The adjuster Sherille ** obtained my medical records after I signed the release (I waited months for her to even get them) just for her to say my initial appt did not mention the accident and my follow up appointments did not have the date I was in the accident on them. This was a bit confusing to me so I obtained the records myself just to see that my initial appt did mention the car accident and my follow up appointments stated "weeks ago". I am certain she could have sought clarification from the orthopedic specialist had she needed it.

However, in addition to Ms ** being extremely rude, untimely and dishonest, her supervisor (a Male whom did not give his name) refused to assign me a different adjuster. I explained to him that she oft did not return my call for days to weeks and when she did she either had an attitude or was dishonest. However he told me Ms ** is a good worker (I'm sure she saves the company thousands EVERY YEAR). "I'm reading her notes and it looks like she contacts you enough so no I'm not reassigning your case." Reading the reviews on NJM it's apparent that I'm not the only one they're obviously scamming. Considering my accident took place in August and it's almost been a year without any resolution.

I received a letter this week from Sherille ** stating my case has not been concluded because she's not received the correct medical records. I'm totally confused! Either she cannot read or she just wants a lawyer to contact her and I'm utterly frustrated by having to even go through all of this when their insured was not paying attention and hit us full speed. Why not just apologize, be ethical, take responsibility as their driver did and move on, this is completely ridiculous. So I'm finally reaching out to lawyers. I plan on contacting the BBB and I'm also going to seek out other ways to gain public support such as through the NJ news, media, paper. At some point people have to go back to the basics and just be honest again.

Original review: April 10, 2019

We had an Accident in October 2018. Not our fault although it was my word against the other driver. NJM very responsive and I had full payment within two weeks- full replacement value of the car. (The damage to our car was over 75% the blue book value of the car so NJM 'totaled' the car.) I have a $1000 deductible which was deducted from that full replacement payment. NJM was more than fair with the replacement value of our car- and they were more than responsive all the way through the process. NJM is still (As of April 10, 2019) pursuing the other insurance company to recoup my $1000 deductible. It is a weary process but I receive updates every several weeks from NJM- both phone calls and in writing.

I have been with NJM for Many Many years (15 plus years) and have not had any bad experiences. I have two teenage boys on my policy also and my rates for four autos and collision was more than competitive- in the $4200 range. I have homeowners with them as well as a liability umbrella policy. Just in the past year I was able to get into a health insurance pool (Horizon BC/BS of NJ) because of my NJM Membership. This saved our company a significant amount of premium. I am not sure why all the negative press. Hence I am writing to express my sincere appreciation of the NJM company. Nothing to worry about with NJM in your corner.

Get expert buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I was recently involved in a motor vehicle accident where the other driver who was insured by NJM was 100% at fault as stated by the driver and the police report. This accident occurred in December 2018 and in March 2019 the claim is still unresolved. NJM is refusing to take accountability for their insured driver and making me financially whole. To this date my vehicle is still damaged with a safety system inoperable and there is no end in sight. NJM Insurance lives by the motto, Delay, Deny, and Defend.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Amira ** is extremely rude, lazy and unprofessional. She never once contacted me in regards to updates to my claim or the fact that the other driving was trying to claim. I was at fault although it was clear on the police report that he was at fault 100%. I had to go above her to get things moving. I have been in my rental for a almost 30 days without so much as one call from Amira until I lost my patience and began calling her and her supervisor Kathleen ** taking time away from my job to try and get information on my car.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

We've had NJM for over 13 years, auto and homeowner's insurance. Rates have steadily increased over the years, which is understandable. HOWEVER, when we added our twin, 17 year old, newly licensed daughters to our policy, our annual premium went from $3,000 to $7700!!! Way more than double! We still had the same three cars we always had. Just added the girls. That $7700 rate also included the good student discounts. We've also had NO CLAIMS, NO POINTS, NO ACCIDENTS!!! Absolute robbery on the part of NJM and the NJ car insurance industry!! Needless to say, we switched to another carrier that was $3000 less than what NJM demanded. Despicable!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about NJM Auto Insurance?

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

We now have AAA Roadside Assistance thanks to NJM! Working with NJM's Roadside Assistance (which is included in our insurance coverage) was a horrible experience! My vehicle broke down and had to be towed. My husband and I both tried calling, but kept getting an automated system. I finally just stopped resisting and went through the whole request process through automation. Shortly after, we received a text stating that it would be a 90 minute ETA for the tow truck which was understandable since it was 11:00 p.m. at night. I ended up canceling the tow request and got an Uber home since it was so late.

On the way back to my vehicle the next morning, I called NJM Roadside Assistance again for a new tow request. I spoke to a live person and asked her if it was normal for it to be automated after a certain time. She said no, and that she would have to speak to her supervisor about that. I gave her all of my information and was told I would receive a text with the tow truck information and ETA.

After 30 minutes, I still had not received a text so I called back. They said the request was put on hold, but they didn't know why. So, I had to give them all of the information again with no explanation as to what happened with our first request. I then received a text with a 90 min ETA. When we had approximately 15 minutes left to wait, we received a call stating that the tow truck backed out due to a multi-vehicle accident. They stated they would send me a new text with a new tow truck company and ETA.

We received the text with a 60 minute ETA; however, the price for this tow increased by $30. The tow truck finally arrived, and we followed him to our garage. When we went to sign the paperwork, the tow truck driver advised that NJM did not include the tolls cost in our final price. He was nice enough to let it go, but he also mentioned that the other tow company is known for backing out and NJM is aware of it. So, in the end, we wasted an entire day waiting because NJM dropped the ball several times throughout this entire process. While we waited for the tow, we signed up with AAA who we always had previously, but cancelled when we got NJM. Now we know better so thanks NJM for letting us know that your roadside assistance leaves much to be desired!!!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I got my car repaired and fixed, and their Claims Dept (Tina and Donna) would not reimburse the money. They cheat and betray and back out on their own words, even when everything is documented. They are bunch of liars and cheaters. Now I would have to take them to the court.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

My family and I were in an accident that totaled the car. No one was seriously hurt and the other party was at fault. I called NJM to start the process as I was unfamiliar with what to do after an accident, further, I was still in a malaise and not thinking too clearly. Since it happened on a Saturday, I went ahead on Sunday to get a rental car. I booked something similar ($100/day) to transport the family, plus I put out the $90 to get a Lyft back home.

When NJM called me back, they said I was not authorized to spend $100 per day for the car. I had just assumed they would get the money for me from the other insurance company. It took forever, I had returned the car so I am out $300 and was using my wife's car as NJM stated if I don't use my rental they can apply to the bottom line for my car. We needed to wait for the police report, which took over a week, then started to review the claim. They came back with such a low amount I stated there is no way I could buy what I had on that. So they said they would re-review it. I gave them 3 examples what I could find, be it I could only find the exact model in other states. They said they could not use that. I asked them to show me what car they found and only gave me a lame report. No examples.

Finally they came back with about $1k more and during this time I went and found an older car which was not the same model and had less features for $2k more than what they gave me. Plus I had a $2k deductible and have not received that and not sure if I will be. When I received the check there was a letter that stated NJM may find you the same car and buy it, or buy you something similar or make up the difference. I was like, "WHAT? You tell me this after you drag your feet and I buy something because I need to get to work?" I reply back and after 3 weeks they tell me, "Sorry you don't get any more." So I am out almost $5k out of pocket expenses and have had a very bad experience. I will be checking other insurance companies and switching as soon as I can. I am a long time member too, 23 years. :(

Original review: July 6, 2018

I recently became a homeowner because of the death of my father. He had homeowners insurance with NJM. Now I have homeowners insurance with NJM. I have had auto insurance with NJM for many years. I can now bundle auto and homeowners insurance. I should receive a 15% discount on my homeowners insurance. Not exactly. Depending on how one does the math I am either going to be paying just as much as my father would have paid or a little bit more (I just received a statement with my father's name on it for 2018/2019, that is how I know). I had to get a new homeowners insurance insurance policy - I could not just transfer information from my father's policy to mine, even though nothing else has changed. The 15% discount has DISAPPEARED. All to the advantage of NJM.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I'm currently really annoyed with NJM. I took a defensive driving course and got the certificate for it in March. My plan just renewed (June)... and I haven't even made my first payment for the renewal yet, it's not due till the end of the month. I called them to ask them what I should do about the certificate and they told me "It's likely this won't be applied to your insurance this year since your policy already started." (AGAIN. Didn't even make my first payment.) I've been an NJM customer for 13 years, and I'm fighting this because I think this is absolutely ridiculous. This is really the first issue that I've ever had with them, but I'm SUPER annoyed.

The entire reason I took the defensive driving course was because I learned that they give you a discount on your plan if you do so. My premium is sky high for no reason, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that this is an issue, seeing as how I'm trying to get a discount. Money Money Money. Way more important than their customers and customer service.

Original review: May 25, 2018

I filed a claim with N.J. Manufacturers about a three years ago. I was involved in a minor car accident out of state. I was stopped in heavy traffic on the Pa. Turnpike and my foot slipped off the brake pedal in my car and I rolled into the car in front of me. I pulled to the side of the road and checked to make sure no one was hurt, etc. The owner of the car was very hostile and when I suggested that we should contact the police, she refused. To make a long story short, I continued on to my destination in Pa and the women went her way. We did in fact exchange driver's license, insurance cards, etc.

I telephoned N.J. Manufacturers that very day and explained to them what had happened. There was no damage to any one in either vehicle and very little damage to either car. After (2) years with no claims filed against me, this woman hired a lawyer and is now trying to sue me for damages physically for her son and damages to her vehicle. I have only had (2) calls from N.J. Manufacturers in last (3) years. I was told they were going to investigate this claim but as of this date I am still in the dark as to any outcome in this matter. I have had N.J. Manufacturers for many years and I don't say they are a bad company, but I still feel I have a black cloud hanging over my head and I don't know what to expect to happen in the future.

While I still feel N.J. Manufacturers is a great insurance company, I am a little disappointed in my current dealings with them, but I believe the company could keep me informed a little bit more as to the proceedings in my current situation and I hope that they are doing everything they can to resolve the present issue I have with a claim filed against me.

Original review: May 11, 2018

Filing a claim with NJM is very professional, easy and quick. Excellent coverage for a fair price, provides approved repair companies. Also, always a please calling, great customer service, quick payments!

Original review: April 10, 2018

My windshield was cracked in the summer and Safelite came out for repair, no problem. Then last week during one of the snow storms the crack grew larger splitting my windshield. I contacted NJM to report a windshield replacement claim and was on the phone a long time giving details of the claim and set up an appointment with Safelite. I contacted Safelite to confirm and they advised me NJM never set up a claim and my windshield had to be ordered and I had to now reschedule a new appointment date. Therefore if I didn't call I would have waited all day and no one would have showed. The damage ended up being under my deductible so my question is what did I actually need NJM for? The inadequate girl answering the phone, didn't even know how to process a claim properly.

Original review: March 16, 2018

As a member for about 10 years, I never had a claim to file until a couple weeks ago when my truck was hit while parked. Due to it being a state owned vehicle that hit me, under law all they have to do is pay my deductible. So after getting multiple estimates, I submitted the cheapest in my claim. Their adjuster came out and inspected, and agreed to me that it was all on point. After 4 days of not hearing from them, I called, and they said the claim is closed, and said they mailed me a check for 1/3rd of the estimate. They won't pay for the seriously bent up impact bar, or a few other parts until the truck is dismantled at the shop, and they schedule the adjuster to come back and take more pictures.

The shop said once the claim is approved, they would order the parts, pre-paint everything, and do the repair in one day since I have a large family and tote around multiple kids and my dog. Now, the truck will be laid up for 2+ weeks, and they will not offer me rental coverage for a similar vehicle to move my family, so I cannot afford to have my Yukon repaired, as similar full sized SUVs rent for almost $200 a day out of my pocket. Worthless insurance coverage that I spend a premium on, and there are multiple other companies that provide better coverage for the same cost. After I take this claim to court, I will be dropping this provider. What would have happened if I was in my vehicle and was injured when that truck hit me? Medical expenses on top of repair bills would most likely put me in the streets with the way they approach their clients.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I've had no problems with them. But the one problem I have with this and all the other companies is that, even with a clean driving record (no tickets, no accidents) the premiums go up with age. I also don't think a credit score should be part of the equation.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I rarely have to call, because fortunately I have little need to do so, however when I have a need the process is painless. All it takes is one phone call and everything gets done without a problem. I am sure I could get insurance for less, but I could also get other things for less too, and I am not going to base my decision on cheaper deals. I have had NJM for more years than I care to count and when the need arises I feel that this company will address my needs in a responsible way.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

The very best insurance company in the whole wide world. Everything went great and I got more than I expected!!! They even give out tremendous dividend bonuses but you have to be a government employee to be eligible for this insurance. Sorry!!!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

They are cheaper than the other companies. Another company tried to greatly increase my rate just because of my age even though I had a perfect driving history... I then switched to NJ Manufacturers. They give members a check at the end of the year part of dividends which is nice.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I been with them for over 15 years, with the same vehicle. My rate has reduced due to the age of my car and I receive a rebate deduction each year. The price is right for me.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

It's a good when they take your premium but this company refuses to pay a trauma reconstructive surgeon fair customary fees for services performed. They are basically paying doctors the minimum wage. Hence, poor payment equilibrates with inability to provide quality care.

Original review: April 13, 2017

NJM doesn't care for the injured. I have a court order for payment every week yet they don't do it. I've lost a vehicle, homeowner's insurance, truck insurance, cell phones. I can't even pay my property tax because they won't pay me in a timely manner. They don't even respond to my attorney in a timely fashion. They want me to go to all these Dr.'s appointment but will fine me if I miss an appointment. How can I go if I have no money for gas? I've already had to cancel other Dr.'s appointments because of this. Hope that your employer doesn't use this company and hope you NEVER get hurt because they will do everything they can to not take care of you. They are greedy and don't follow judicial orders.

Original review: April 6, 2017

This is the first insurance company we come across who is very difficult to deal with. No easy access to lot of things. They never provide company guidelines on removing the driver who has no license just the permit holder and giving us hard time on removing and telling us it's their company policy to surrender permit and show them the receipt then they remove a person name off the policy. When we ran to DMV they said they have no idea what we are talking about. We told NJM that where to bring the document from what they need. They have no idea. They just tells us "it's company policy". Government wake up. Show us some act for such companies.

Original review: March 11, 2017

You really cannot review an insurance company unless you went through a claim. They are all good while they get your money. Only when it is their turn to pay out, that is when you can know the good ones from the bad ones. Not that their prices are hard to beat with generous coverage, but the way they handled my claim was superior. I would suggest them to anyone who can have access to them. The only thing I don't like is their website. You can see the policy and request modifications, but you cannot get an instant quote. If you want to make a change, you have to call or send an email and wait. The autopay feature is through a totally different website! However these 2 things are considered minor comparing to the quality of this company.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

I have been with NJM for several years, and always received good service. I have not experienced any problems with NJM. Filing a claim was not a problem - response was quick, and fair. I have no negative comments.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2017

NJM was very helpful and prompt with payment when I filed a claim. You get to speak to a representative when you call. However, adjuster was not accurate. I had to fight about a flood claim when car got flooded trying to say there were dents before flood which was not true.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2015

Great customer service, no local agent required, super low rates, bonus rebate check annually, prompt/efficient handling of claims. Have been with them for over 30 years for both our auto and home insurance, and I highly recommend them.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2015

The rates are very reasonable for both my cars. The claim process is easy but thorough. They discount for homeowners and other policies. The phone line is very easy to use with great customer service.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2015

I have used NJM insurance company since I was on my parents policy at age 17. When I moved out on my own I purchased my own policy. Since then I have married and added my husband to my policy. We have had a few claims over the years and they have always been helpful, nice, and resolve the claims quickly and to our satisfaction. Would recommend to others!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2015

Great customer service. Always follows up, great rates and offers discounts. I have been using Njm for 17 years And Would Not Switch Any Time soon. I also have my homeowner insurance for my condo. They also offer great service there too. I love that I actually speak to a person not only a machine when you call.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2015

New Jersey manufacturers has excellent rates, excellent customer service. They send rebates home every year. They also offer other insurance options such as homeowners. New Jersey manufacturers is a local New Jersey based company. New Jersey manufacturers has a wonderful payment plan. Will adjust your payment schedule to fit your needs. I've been with New Jersey manufacturers since 1997.

NJM Auto Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

New Jersey Manufacturers Insurance Group provides coverage for business and personal purposes. The company customizes policies for homeowners, drivers and commercial business owners to ensure they receive superior service and reliable coverage in New Jersey and Pennsylvania.

• Claims services: NJM Insurance has an online portal that makes it easy to file a claim or to receive support with a policy.

• Quick quotes: The company lets consumers comparison-shop to find the best rate on their policy.

• Complete coverage: Consumers can turn to the company to find coverage for personal vehicles, business fleets and motorcycles.

• Roadside assistance: NJM Insurance offers a toll-free hotline that puts drivers into contact with essential assistance personnel when problems arise.

• Controlling costs: The company provides business owners with advice and tips about reducing accidents in the workplace to lower insurance expenses.

• Best for: Drivers who want complete coverage and drivers who want to do business with a local company.

Profile picture of Matthew Brodsky