2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.09/5

NJM Auto Insurance provides home, business and auto insurance to clients in New Jersey. NJM is not one of InsuraMatch's verified partners. If you want to receive multiple quotes from insurance providers, contact InsuraMatch for quick results. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

NJM provides auto insurance to customers in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Along with a selection of car insurance coverages and discounts, it pays dividends to its policyholders at an average of 5 percent of the yearly premium each year. It receives positive reviews for its high customer satisfaction with claims processing.

PROS

• Online policy management
  • Competitive rates
  • Strong financial stability
  • Local agents greatly familiar with local driving laws
  • Exceptional customer experience on auto claims

CONS

• No coverage on mechanical breakdown, personal property and pet injury
  • Coverage limited to New Jersey and Pennsylvania residents

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

NJM Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about NJM Auto Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about NJM Auto Insurance?

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

No one in the US is close. Auto, home insurance. Hours to call as needed. Claims are processed fast and efficiency, honestly and more than fair. Price, transparency, service. Ease of changes. Exceeds expectations in all regards.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

Had NJM for 40 years, easy to deal with, no hassle claim submitting, very knowledgeable staff. They are are a little higher in rates than other insurance companies but the great customer service makes up for that.

Get buying tips about Car Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

I have been with NJM Auto since I was 17 years old... a loyal Auto policyholder for the past 45 years! And when I bought my first home in 1981, they have been my homeowner's insurer as well. Why all of these years when so many times I've had opportunities to switch?

1. They are always prompt and professional when handling my claims.
    2. They are always fair in dealing with my loss.

3. Their prices are competitive and the dividend back is a nice touch.

What else should you expect from an insurance company beyond 1, 2, and 3 above? When I read the complaints on this site, I wish that the person(s) involved at NJM were able to respond, because what I've read does NOT sound like the company I have been dealing with for the past 45 years.

Original review: March 15, 2020

I have been with NJ Manufacturers for 6 years. Always paid on time, no tickets for 17 years, I get in one accident that wasn't even my fault and the claims adjuster didn't even fight for me. Like why am I giving your company business if your not going to protect me. The other driver had road rage and I got a ticket because he slammed on his brakes on a ramp getting off the parkway and I hit him from behind. He said he yielded to traffic and the ramp went into its own lane. The cop believed him his excuse for stopping. But he didn't tell the cop how he got out of his car while I was on the phone with 9-1-1 and said, "you want to give me the ** finger, well now ** you."

The court granted me a probable cause ticket against him because they at least saw road rage, the insurance, all the said was, the police report has to be amended. I get it amended and they still said it's my fault and that they do not do accident forgiveness. After all these years of being a customer and giving them my money, they should be ashamed of how Aja is handling claims. This accident would have never happened if he didn't dead stop on a ramp to a sign that was never there. I'm pissed and switching immediately.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2019

NJM is the worst - maximize profit at the cost of their own subscribers and morality. A vehicle recently hit my new car from behind. I have dash cam footage of the incident. It shows the offending car without any turn signal, in one of the 2 turn lanes. I take the turn and complete it from within my clearly marked lane, then they ram into me. NJM insures the at fault driver, and they claimed I was at fault because I turned into the lane of the at fault driver, but this is because he hit me and caused me to swerve! The audio in the dash cam clearly shows this. Geico has been great, taking them to arbitration and even giving me half my deductible up front regardless of what the arbitrator decides, and when they win I get the other half.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2019

KAREN ** EXTENSION ** is trying to take advantage of a mentally disabled woman!!! She is rude and inconsiderate of people with disabilities and someone trying to help them. She is not a trustworthy person and how she can work fro NJM is horrible. They should really look into who they hire. She gives bad information and won't admit her fault. Now she is acting as a collection agent. Maybe that's where she should work for a bill collector. Then she will fit right in.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

NJM Insurance literally kicked me off of my auto insurance policy without notice and told me I am not able to reinstate or open a new policy with them for 3 years! Here's what happened: I bought a new car in January (2019) after my very first car was totaled while parked (some people shouldn't be allowed outside when it snows). I was shopping around for insurance and went with NJM because it was referred to me by my car dealer (thank you Danis Auto). The very first conversation I had, was with a nice lady who helped me open my policy right away so that I can get on the road and start driving. My quote was $203 a month for full tort, and all the bells and whistles.

4 months went by and I was tired of calling each time to make payments over the phone and so I asked them if they had an app that I can download to make payments online and they said no, I would have to go to their website from my computer to make payments (It's 2019 people, why don't you have an app for convenience?). I then asked them about an auto-pay option and was told I'd have to go to the website to set that up as well because they can't do that over the phone. (But you can take normal payments over the phone???).

So, I continued calling each month to make my payments until July. In July, I called them and this time asked if they'd be able to do the auto-pay set up for me because I couldn't figure it out online (they don't have the most user-friendly website). I was then told by the insurance rep that they can just use my account number and routing number and all should be good. I provided her with all of my information and trusted I was now enrolled in auto-pay.

Now, it's October (and maybe this is somewhat my fault) I look into my bank statements and notice the last payment from NJM was made in July. So, now I'm confused. I called these folks and apologized for the inconvenience of missing the fact that no payments have been posted since July but I thought I was enrolled in auto-pay. They CLAIMED to have sent letters to me stating my insurance payment was overdue and that they were going to cancel my policy as of September 25, 2019. I swear, I NEVER received a letter, a call, a text, nor an email about any late or missed payments.

I was also told by a rep that "THEY WILL NOT CALL OR EMAIL YOU". I told them about the whole auto-pay mix up offered to pay whatever was owed plus this month and they said no. To put the icing on the cake I CANNOT OPEN A NEW POLICY FOR UP TO 3 YEARS! Now after 10 minutes of trying to smooth things over, (though they could've done a better job at informing me of these issues) I sucked it up and said okay and thank you for your time.

I spent the next hour shopping around for quotes and the prices were TRIPLE what I was paying at NJM because of this whole lapsed insurance thing (YUP, THEY SENT A LETTER TO THE STATE AS WELL AND EVERY INSURANCE COMPANY SEES I DEFAULTED ON PAYMENTS) and so I'm screwed into paying $600 a month for a used 2015 MAZDA 3. I tried to call NJM back to speak with higher-ups who may have some sympathy and can help me out and literally NO ONE at NJM was willing to help me. I even asked if they could write another letter to the state about this whole mix up just so I can get insurance elsewhere at a decent rate. They still said it's nothing they can do. If you're looking for a company that REALLY "has your back" NJM IS NOT IT!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

My son has auto insurance with NJM. A year ago he Had slight fender accident; not his fault; no police were called; no tickets issued; both vehicles had minor scratches. He contacted NJM reported it and gave written statement to NJM but did not file claim cause repairs for scratches were less than deductible. Never heard a peep out of NJM all year till he got his policy renewal. It went from $600 per year up to $2,000. He called NJM to find out why and to find out that the other driver filed a claim against him (which was he said; she said). And paid out a claim for the other vehicle's scratches of $900.00. NJM never contacted him for further details; never informed him that there was a claim filed nor that they paid out a claim.

A year went by and no communication from NJM, nothing. He called to ask why this is the first he's hearing about a claim, their response was they don't have to tell him. It's his policy and he should have been notified in order to file an appeal cause the incident wasn't his fault and it's too late now. So for a $900 claim that was paid out and shouldn't have his insurance went up $1,400.00 per year. His driving record is clean, no other accidents, now he's paying over 3 times his previous years premium on an erroneous $900.00 pay out. According to NJM their rates go up for any claim paid out over $500.00. Since the payout was $400.00 over the $500.00 allowable his auto insurance premium has more than triple. An increase of that proportion is definitely price gouging. Shame on NJM. I'm hoping the Banking and Insurance licensing division investigates them.

Original review: July 20, 2019

We been a customers of NJM for 35+ years with auto and homeowners. 2 years ago, our H/O policy was $1500, I just received my 19-20 Policy it’s almost $4000!!! Recently had 1 claim (1 in 5 yrs) - water from washer flooded our kitchen/laundry room floor 8k claim to fix.. Now it’s almost tripled with same coverage from 2017!! What’s the purpose of being insured if you can’t file a claim, when needed? This company completely disappointed me not only with this but my auto too - no accidents no tickets went from $900 to $2600!! What the heck is going on? I have to switch and I hope I can get a Reasonable Price. I’m in shock, this is totally unfair, NJM!!!

Original review: April 29, 2019

I was involved in a motor vehicle accident where the other driver was insured by NJM and took responsibility, there was also a police report with pictures taken. My injuries required a couple doctor visits following an emergency room visit. The adjuster Sherille ** obtained my medical records after I signed the release (I waited months for her to even get them) just for her to say my initial appt did not mention the accident and my follow up appointments did not have the date I was in the accident on them. This was a bit confusing to me so I obtained the records myself just to see that my initial appt did mention the car accident and my follow up appointments stated "weeks ago". I am certain she could have sought clarification from the orthopedic specialist had she needed it.

However, in addition to Ms ** being extremely rude, untimely and dishonest, her supervisor (a Male whom did not give his name) refused to assign me a different adjuster. I explained to him that she oft did not return my call for days to weeks and when she did she either had an attitude or was dishonest. However he told me Ms ** is a good worker (I'm sure she saves the company thousands EVERY YEAR). "I'm reading her notes and it looks like she contacts you enough so no I'm not reassigning your case." Reading the reviews on NJM it's apparent that I'm not the only one they're obviously scamming. Considering my accident took place in August and it's almost been a year without any resolution.

I received a letter this week from Sherille ** stating my case has not been concluded because she's not received the correct medical records. I'm totally confused! Either she cannot read or she just wants a lawyer to contact her and I'm utterly frustrated by having to even go through all of this when their insured was not paying attention and hit us full speed. Why not just apologize, be ethical, take responsibility as their driver did and move on, this is completely ridiculous. So I'm finally reaching out to lawyers. I plan on contacting the BBB and I'm also going to seek out other ways to gain public support such as through the NJ news, media, paper. At some point people have to go back to the basics and just be honest again.

NJM Auto Insurance author review by Matthew Brodsky

The company has an A++ rating for financial strength from AM Best. This is the highest possible rating. The company writes insurance policies in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Consumers can turn to the company to find coverage for personal vehicles, business fleets and motorcycles.

• Coverage and plans: NJM’s coverage takes care of minimum state requirements. Additional coverage includes new car replacement, travel expense reimbursement and pet coverage.

• Cost: A single, 30-year-old male pays, on average, about $1,300 a year for NJM auto insurance.

• Discounts: NJM has discounts for bundling, multivehicle policies, relevant driving courses, paperless billing, safety features, purchasing both comprehensive and collision coverage and good grades.

• Standout feature: NJM SafeDrive tracks driver behavior, including speed, distracted driving and braking. Drivers who use it are eligible for discounts.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor