2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.20/5

NJM Auto Insurance provides home, business and auto insurance to clients in New Jersey. NJM is not one of InsuraMatch's verified partners. If you want to receive multiple quotes from insurance providers, contact InsuraMatch for quick results. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Compare insurance providers online

See if you can save today on Everquote

Get a quote

Compare insurance providers online

See if you can save today on Everquote

Get a quote

NJM Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about NJM Auto Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about NJM Auto Insurance?

Original review: July 6, 2018

I recently became a homeowner because of the death of my father. He had homeowners insurance with NJM. Now I have homeowners insurance with NJM. I have had auto insurance with NJM for many years. I can now bundle auto and homeowners insurance. I should receive a 15% discount on my homeowners insurance. Not exactly. Depending on how one does the math I am either going to be paying just as much as my father would have paid or a little bit more (I just received a statement with my father's name on it for 2018/2019, that is how I know). I had to get a new homeowners insurance insurance policy - I could not just transfer information from my father's policy to mine, even though nothing else has changed. The 15% discount has DISAPPEARED. All to the advantage of NJM.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I'm currently really annoyed with NJM. I took a defensive driving course and got the certificate for it in March. My plan just renewed (June)... and I haven't even made my first payment for the renewal yet, it's not due till the end of the month. I called them to ask them what I should do about the certificate and they told me "It's likely this won't be applied to your insurance this year since your policy already started." (AGAIN. Didn't even make my first payment.) I've been an NJM customer for 13 years, and I'm fighting this because I think this is absolutely ridiculous. This is really the first issue that I've ever had with them, but I'm SUPER annoyed.

The entire reason I took the defensive driving course was because I learned that they give you a discount on your plan if you do so. My premium is sky high for no reason, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that this is an issue, seeing as how I'm trying to get a discount. Money Money Money. Way more important than their customers and customer service.

Original review: May 25, 2018

I filed a claim with N.J. Manufacturers about a three years ago. I was involved in a minor car accident out of state. I was stopped in heavy traffic on the Pa. Turnpike and my foot slipped off the brake pedal in my car and I rolled into the car in front of me. I pulled to the side of the road and checked to make sure no one was hurt, etc. The owner of the car was very hostile and when I suggested that we should contact the police, she refused. To make a long story short, I continued on to my destination in Pa and the women went her way. We did in fact exchange driver's license, insurance cards, etc.

I telephoned N.J. Manufacturers that very day and explained to them what had happened. There was no damage to any one in either vehicle and very little damage to either car. After (2) years with no claims filed against me, this woman hired a lawyer and is now trying to sue me for damages physically for her son and damages to her vehicle. I have only had (2) calls from N.J. Manufacturers in last (3) years. I was told they were going to investigate this claim but as of this date I am still in the dark as to any outcome in this matter. I have had N.J. Manufacturers for many years and I don't say they are a bad company, but I still feel I have a black cloud hanging over my head and I don't know what to expect to happen in the future.

While I still feel N.J. Manufacturers is a great insurance company, I am a little disappointed in my current dealings with them, but I believe the company could keep me informed a little bit more as to the proceedings in my current situation and I hope that they are doing everything they can to resolve the present issue I have with a claim filed against me.

Original review: May 11, 2018

Filing a claim with NJM is very professional, easy and quick. Excellent coverage for a fair price, provides approved repair companies. Also, always a please calling, great customer service, quick payments!

Original review: April 10, 2018

My windshield was cracked in the summer and Safelite came out for repair, no problem. Then last week during one of the snow storms the crack grew larger splitting my windshield. I contacted NJM to report a windshield replacement claim and was on the phone a long time giving details of the claim and set up an appointment with Safelite. I contacted Safelite to confirm and they advised me NJM never set up a claim and my windshield had to be ordered and I had to now reschedule a new appointment date. Therefore if I didn't call I would have waited all day and no one would have showed. The damage ended up being under my deductible so my question is what did I actually need NJM for? The inadequate girl answering the phone, didn't even know how to process a claim properly.

Original review: March 16, 2018

As a member for about 10 years, I never had a claim to file until a couple weeks ago when my truck was hit while parked. Due to it being a state owned vehicle that hit me, under law all they have to do is pay my deductible. So after getting multiple estimates, I submitted the cheapest in my claim. Their adjuster came out and inspected, and agreed to me that it was all on point. After 4 days of not hearing from them, I called, and they said the claim is closed, and said they mailed me a check for 1/3rd of the estimate. They won't pay for the seriously bent up impact bar, or a few other parts until the truck is dismantled at the shop, and they schedule the adjuster to come back and take more pictures.

The shop said once the claim is approved, they would order the parts, pre-paint everything, and do the repair in one day since I have a large family and tote around multiple kids and my dog. Now, the truck will be laid up for 2+ weeks, and they will not offer me rental coverage for a similar vehicle to move my family, so I cannot afford to have my Yukon repaired, as similar full sized SUVs rent for almost $200 a day out of my pocket. Worthless insurance coverage that I spend a premium on, and there are multiple other companies that provide better coverage for the same cost. After I take this claim to court, I will be dropping this provider. What would have happened if I was in my vehicle and was injured when that truck hit me? Medical expenses on top of repair bills would most likely put me in the streets with the way they approach their clients.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2018

I've had no problems with them. But the one problem I have with this and all the other companies is that, even with a clean driving record (no tickets, no accidents) the premiums go up with age. I also don't think a credit score should be part of the equation.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2018

I rarely have to call, because fortunately I have little need to do so, however when I have a need the process is painless. All it takes is one phone call and everything gets done without a problem. I am sure I could get insurance for less, but I could also get other things for less too, and I am not going to base my decision on cheaper deals. I have had NJM for more years than I care to count and when the need arises I feel that this company will address my needs in a responsible way.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

The very best insurance company in the whole wide world. Everything went great and I got more than I expected!!! They even give out tremendous dividend bonuses but you have to be a government employee to be eligible for this insurance. Sorry!!!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2017

They are cheaper than the other companies. Another company tried to greatly increase my rate just because of my age even though I had a perfect driving history... I then switched to NJ Manufacturers. They give members a check at the end of the year part of dividends which is nice.

NJM Auto Insurance Company Information