Find a Car Insurance partner

2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

3.1/5 (54 ratings)
Find a Car Insurance partner

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

About NJM Auto Insurance

NJM provides car insurance for drivers in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. The company offers a wide selection of auto coverage policies and discounts, and it pays dividends to its policyholders at an average of 5% of its yearly premiums. It covers several vehicle types, including classic and collector's cars.

Pros

• Pet accident insurance
  • Covers several vehicle types
  • New car coverage

Cons

• Limited availability
  • Not ideal for high-risk drivers

Bottom Line

NJM offers coverage for a variety of vehicles. It provides several discounts and services, including for comprehensive and collision coverage. It's available only in Pennsylvania, Connecticut and New Jersey.

See if you can lower your rate today!

Compare insurance providers on QuoteWizard

Get started

NJM Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about NJM Auto Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about NJM Auto Insurance?

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

NJM Insurance literally kicked me off of my auto insurance policy without notice and told me I am not able to reinstate or open a new policy with them for 3 years! Here's what happened: I bought a new car in January (2019) after my very first car was totaled while parked (some people shouldn't be allowed outside when it snows). I was shopping around for insurance and went with NJM because it was referred to me by my car dealer (thank you Danis Auto). The very first conversation I had, was with a nice lady who helped me open my policy right away so that I can get on the road and start driving. My quote was $203 a month for full tort, and all the bells and whistles.

4 months went by and I was tired of calling each time to make payments over the phone and so I asked them if they had an app that I can download to make payments online and they said no, I would have to go to their website from my computer to make payments (It's 2019 people, why don't you have an app for convenience?). I then asked them about an auto-pay option and was told I'd have to go to the website to set that up as well because they can't do that over the phone. (But you can take normal payments over the phone???).

So, I continued calling each month to make my payments until July. In July, I called them and this time asked if they'd be able to do the auto-pay set up for me because I couldn't figure it out online (they don't have the most user-friendly website). I was then told by the insurance rep that they can just use my account number and routing number and all should be good. I provided her with all of my information and trusted I was now enrolled in auto-pay.

Now, it's October (and maybe this is somewhat my fault) I look into my bank statements and notice the last payment from NJM was made in July. So, now I'm confused. I called these folks and apologized for the inconvenience of missing the fact that no payments have been posted since July but I thought I was enrolled in auto-pay. They CLAIMED to have sent letters to me stating my insurance payment was overdue and that they were going to cancel my policy as of September 25, 2019. I swear, I NEVER received a letter, a call, a text, nor an email about any late or missed payments.

I was also told by a rep that "THEY WILL NOT CALL OR EMAIL YOU". I told them about the whole auto-pay mix up offered to pay whatever was owed plus this month and they said no. To put the icing on the cake I CANNOT OPEN A NEW POLICY FOR UP TO 3 YEARS! Now after 10 minutes of trying to smooth things over, (though they could've done a better job at informing me of these issues) I sucked it up and said okay and thank you for your time.

I spent the next hour shopping around for quotes and the prices were TRIPLE what I was paying at NJM because of this whole lapsed insurance thing (YUP, THEY SENT A LETTER TO THE STATE AS WELL AND EVERY INSURANCE COMPANY SEES I DEFAULTED ON PAYMENTS) and so I'm screwed into paying $600 a month for a used 2015 MAZDA 3. I tried to call NJM back to speak with higher-ups who may have some sympathy and can help me out and literally NO ONE at NJM was willing to help me. I even asked if they could write another letter to the state about this whole mix up just so I can get insurance elsewhere at a decent rate. They still said it's nothing they can do. If you're looking for a company that REALLY "has your back" NJM IS NOT IT!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

No one in the US is close. Auto, home insurance. Hours to call as needed. Claims are processed fast and efficiency, honestly and more than fair. Price, transparency, service. Ease of changes. Exceeds expectations in all regards.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2019

Had NJM for 40 years, easy to deal with, no hassle claim submitting, very knowledgeable staff. They are are a little higher in rates than other insurance companies but the great customer service makes up for that.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

I have been with NJM Auto since I was 17 years old... a loyal Auto policyholder for the past 45 years! And when I bought my first home in 1981, they have been my homeowner's insurer as well. Why all of these years when so many times I've had opportunities to switch?

1. They are always prompt and professional when handling my claims.
2. They are always fair in dealing with my loss.

3. Their prices are competitive and the dividend back is a nice touch.

What else should you expect from an insurance company beyond 1, 2, and 3 above? When I read the complaints on this site, I wish that the person(s) involved at NJM were able to respond, because what I've read does NOT sound like the company I have been dealing with for the past 45 years.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

My son has auto insurance with NJM. A year ago he Had slight fender accident; not his fault; no police were called; no tickets issued; both vehicles had minor scratches. He contacted NJM reported it and gave written statement to NJM but did not file claim cause repairs for scratches were less than deductible. Never heard a peep out of NJM all year till he got his policy renewal. It went from $600 per year up to $2,000. He called NJM to find out why and to find out that the other driver filed a claim against him (which was he said; she said). And paid out a claim for the other vehicle's scratches of $900.00. NJM never contacted him for further details; never informed him that there was a claim filed nor that they paid out a claim.

A year went by and no communication from NJM, nothing. He called to ask why this is the first he's hearing about a claim, their response was they don't have to tell him. It's his policy and he should have been notified in order to file an appeal cause the incident wasn't his fault and it's too late now. So for a $900 claim that was paid out and shouldn't have his insurance went up $1,400.00 per year. His driving record is clean, no other accidents, now he's paying over 3 times his previous years premium on an erroneous $900.00 pay out. According to NJM their rates go up for any claim paid out over $500.00. Since the payout was $400.00 over the $500.00 allowable his auto insurance premium has more than triple. An increase of that proportion is definitely price gouging. Shame on NJM. I'm hoping the Banking and Insurance licensing division investigates them.

Original review: July 20, 2019

We been a customers of NJM for 35+ years with auto and homeowners. 2 years ago, our H/O policy was $1500, I just received my 19-20 Policy it’s almost $4000!!! Recently had 1 claim (1 in 5 yrs) - water from washer flooded our kitchen/laundry room floor 8k claim to fix.. Now it’s almost tripled with same coverage from 2017!! What’s the purpose of being insured if you can’t file a claim, when needed? This company completely disappointed me not only with this but my auto too - no accidents no tickets went from $900 to $2600!! What the heck is going on? I have to switch and I hope I can get a Reasonable Price. I’m in shock, this is totally unfair, NJM!!!

Original review: April 29, 2019

I was involved in a motor vehicle accident where the other driver was insured by NJM and took responsibility, there was also a police report with pictures taken. My injuries required a couple doctor visits following an emergency room visit. The adjuster Sherille ** obtained my medical records after I signed the release (I waited months for her to even get them) just for her to say my initial appt did not mention the accident and my follow up appointments did not have the date I was in the accident on them. This was a bit confusing to me so I obtained the records myself just to see that my initial appt did mention the car accident and my follow up appointments stated "weeks ago". I am certain she could have sought clarification from the orthopedic specialist had she needed it.

However, in addition to Ms ** being extremely rude, untimely and dishonest, her supervisor (a Male whom did not give his name) refused to assign me a different adjuster. I explained to him that she oft did not return my call for days to weeks and when she did she either had an attitude or was dishonest. However he told me Ms ** is a good worker (I'm sure she saves the company thousands EVERY YEAR). "I'm reading her notes and it looks like she contacts you enough so no I'm not reassigning your case." Reading the reviews on NJM it's apparent that I'm not the only one they're obviously scamming. Considering my accident took place in August and it's almost been a year without any resolution.

I received a letter this week from Sherille ** stating my case has not been concluded because she's not received the correct medical records. I'm totally confused! Either she cannot read or she just wants a lawyer to contact her and I'm utterly frustrated by having to even go through all of this when their insured was not paying attention and hit us full speed. Why not just apologize, be ethical, take responsibility as their driver did and move on, this is completely ridiculous. So I'm finally reaching out to lawyers. I plan on contacting the BBB and I'm also going to seek out other ways to gain public support such as through the NJ news, media, paper. At some point people have to go back to the basics and just be honest again.

Original review: April 10, 2019

We had an Accident in October 2018. Not our fault although it was my word against the other driver. NJM very responsive and I had full payment within two weeks- full replacement value of the car. (The damage to our car was over 75% the blue book value of the car so NJM 'totaled' the car.) I have a $1000 deductible which was deducted from that full replacement payment. NJM was more than fair with the replacement value of our car- and they were more than responsive all the way through the process. NJM is still (As of April 10, 2019) pursuing the other insurance company to recoup my $1000 deductible. It is a weary process but I receive updates every several weeks from NJM- both phone calls and in writing.

I have been with NJM for Many Many years (15 plus years) and have not had any bad experiences. I have two teenage boys on my policy also and my rates for four autos and collision was more than competitive- in the $4200 range. I have homeowners with them as well as a liability umbrella policy. Just in the past year I was able to get into a health insurance pool (Horizon BC/BS of NJ) because of my NJM Membership. This saved our company a significant amount of premium. I am not sure why all the negative press. Hence I am writing to express my sincere appreciation of the NJM company. Nothing to worry about with NJM in your corner.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I was recently involved in a motor vehicle accident where the other driver who was insured by NJM was 100% at fault as stated by the driver and the police report. This accident occurred in December 2018 and in March 2019 the claim is still unresolved. NJM is refusing to take accountability for their insured driver and making me financially whole. To this date my vehicle is still damaged with a safety system inoperable and there is no end in sight. NJM Insurance lives by the motto, Delay, Deny, and Defend.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Amira ** is extremely rude, lazy and unprofessional. She never once contacted me in regards to updates to my claim or the fact that the other driving was trying to claim. I was at fault although it was clear on the police report that he was at fault 100%. I had to go above her to get things moving. I have been in my rental for a almost 30 days without so much as one call from Amira until I lost my patience and began calling her and her supervisor Kathleen ** taking time away from my job to try and get information on my car.

NJM Auto Insurance Company Information