2. Automotive
  3. Car Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.20/5

NJM Auto Insurance provides home, business and auto insurance to clients in New Jersey. NJM is not one of InsuraMatch's verified partners. If you want to receive multiple quotes from insurance providers, contact InsuraMatch for quick results. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Compare insurance providers online

See if you can save today on Everquote

Get a quote

Compare insurance providers online

See if you can save today on Everquote

Get a quote

NJM Auto Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about NJM Auto Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about NJM Auto Insurance?

Original review: Aug. 18, 2019

My son has auto insurance with NJM. A year ago he Had slight fender accident; not his fault; no police were called; no tickets issued; both vehicles had minor scratches. He contacted NJM reported it and gave written statement to NJM but did not file claim cause repairs for scratches were less than deductible. Never heard a peep out of NJM all year till he got his policy renewal. It went from $600 per year up to $2,000. He called NJM to find out why and to find out that the other driver filed a claim against him (which was he said; she said). And paid out a claim for the other vehicle's scratches of $900.00. NJM never contacted him for further details; never informed him that there was a claim filed nor that they paid out a claim.

A year went by and no communication from NJM, nothing. He called to ask why this is the first he's hearing about a claim, their response was they don't have to tell him. It's his policy and he should have been notified in order to file an appeal cause the incident wasn't his fault and it's too late now. So for a $900 claim that was paid out and shouldn't have his insurance went up $1,400.00 per year. His driving record is clean, no other accidents, now he's paying over 3 times his previous years premium on an erroneous $900.00 pay out. According to NJM their rates go up for any claim paid out over $500.00. Since the payout was $400.00 over the $500.00 allowable his auto insurance premium has more than triple. An increase of that proportion is definitely price gouging. Shame on NJM. I'm hoping the Banking and Insurance licensing division investigates them.

Original review: July 20, 2019

We been a customers of NJM for 35+ years with auto and homeowners. 2 years ago, our H/O policy was $1500, I just received my 19-20 Policy it’s almost $4000!!! Recently had 1 claim (1 in 5 yrs) - water from washer flooded our kitchen/laundry room floor 8k claim to fix.. Now it’s almost tripled with same coverage from 2017!! What’s the purpose of being insured if you can’t file a claim, when needed? This company completely disappointed me not only with this but my auto too - no accidents no tickets went from $900 to $2600!! What the heck is going on? I have to switch and I hope I can get a Reasonable Price. I’m in shock, this is totally unfair, NJM!!!

Original review: April 29, 2019

I was involved in a motor vehicle accident where the other driver was insured by NJM and took responsibility, there was also a police report with pictures taken. My injuries required a couple doctor visits following an emergency room visit. The adjuster Sherille ** obtained my medical records after I signed the release (I waited months for her to even get them) just for her to say my initial appt did not mention the accident and my follow up appointments did not have the date I was in the accident on them. This was a bit confusing to me so I obtained the records myself just to see that my initial appt did mention the car accident and my follow up appointments stated "weeks ago". I am certain she could have sought clarification from the orthopedic specialist had she needed it.

However, in addition to Ms ** being extremely rude, untimely and dishonest, her supervisor (a Male whom did not give his name) refused to assign me a different adjuster. I explained to him that she oft did not return my call for days to weeks and when she did she either had an attitude or was dishonest. However he told me Ms ** is a good worker (I'm sure she saves the company thousands EVERY YEAR). "I'm reading her notes and it looks like she contacts you enough so no I'm not reassigning your case." Reading the reviews on NJM it's apparent that I'm not the only one they're obviously scamming. Considering my accident took place in August and it's almost been a year without any resolution.

I received a letter this week from Sherille ** stating my case has not been concluded because she's not received the correct medical records. I'm totally confused! Either she cannot read or she just wants a lawyer to contact her and I'm utterly frustrated by having to even go through all of this when their insured was not paying attention and hit us full speed. Why not just apologize, be ethical, take responsibility as their driver did and move on, this is completely ridiculous. So I'm finally reaching out to lawyers. I plan on contacting the BBB and I'm also going to seek out other ways to gain public support such as through the NJ news, media, paper. At some point people have to go back to the basics and just be honest again.

Original review: April 10, 2019

We had an Accident in October 2018. Not our fault although it was my word against the other driver. NJM very responsive and I had full payment within two weeks- full replacement value of the car. (The damage to our car was over 75% the blue book value of the car so NJM 'totaled' the car.) I have a $1000 deductible which was deducted from that full replacement payment. NJM was more than fair with the replacement value of our car- and they were more than responsive all the way through the process. NJM is still (As of April 10, 2019) pursuing the other insurance company to recoup my $1000 deductible. It is a weary process but I receive updates every several weeks from NJM- both phone calls and in writing.

I have been with NJM for Many Many years (15 plus years) and have not had any bad experiences. I have two teenage boys on my policy also and my rates for four autos and collision was more than competitive- in the $4200 range. I have homeowners with them as well as a liability umbrella policy. Just in the past year I was able to get into a health insurance pool (Horizon BC/BS of NJ) because of my NJM Membership. This saved our company a significant amount of premium. I am not sure why all the negative press. Hence I am writing to express my sincere appreciation of the NJM company. Nothing to worry about with NJM in your corner.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I was recently involved in a motor vehicle accident where the other driver who was insured by NJM was 100% at fault as stated by the driver and the police report. This accident occurred in December 2018 and in March 2019 the claim is still unresolved. NJM is refusing to take accountability for their insured driver and making me financially whole. To this date my vehicle is still damaged with a safety system inoperable and there is no end in sight. NJM Insurance lives by the motto, Delay, Deny, and Defend.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Amira ** is extremely rude, lazy and unprofessional. She never once contacted me in regards to updates to my claim or the fact that the other driving was trying to claim. I was at fault although it was clear on the police report that he was at fault 100%. I had to go above her to get things moving. I have been in my rental for a almost 30 days without so much as one call from Amira until I lost my patience and began calling her and her supervisor Kathleen ** taking time away from my job to try and get information on my car.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

We've had NJM for over 13 years, auto and homeowner's insurance. Rates have steadily increased over the years, which is understandable. HOWEVER, when we added our twin, 17 year old, newly licensed daughters to our policy, our annual premium went from $3,000 to $7700!!! Way more than double! We still had the same three cars we always had. Just added the girls. That $7700 rate also included the good student discounts. We've also had NO CLAIMS, NO POINTS, NO ACCIDENTS!!! Absolute robbery on the part of NJM and the NJ car insurance industry!! Needless to say, we switched to another carrier that was $3000 less than what NJM demanded. Despicable!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

We now have AAA Roadside Assistance thanks to NJM! Working with NJM's Roadside Assistance (which is included in our insurance coverage) was a horrible experience! My vehicle broke down and had to be towed. My husband and I both tried calling, but kept getting an automated system. I finally just stopped resisting and went through the whole request process through automation. Shortly after, we received a text stating that it would be a 90 minute ETA for the tow truck which was understandable since it was 11:00 p.m. at night. I ended up canceling the tow request and got an Uber home since it was so late.

On the way back to my vehicle the next morning, I called NJM Roadside Assistance again for a new tow request. I spoke to a live person and asked her if it was normal for it to be automated after a certain time. She said no, and that she would have to speak to her supervisor about that. I gave her all of my information and was told I would receive a text with the tow truck information and ETA.

After 30 minutes, I still had not received a text so I called back. They said the request was put on hold, but they didn't know why. So, I had to give them all of the information again with no explanation as to what happened with our first request. I then received a text with a 90 min ETA. When we had approximately 15 minutes left to wait, we received a call stating that the tow truck backed out due to a multi-vehicle accident. They stated they would send me a new text with a new tow truck company and ETA.

We received the text with a 60 minute ETA; however, the price for this tow increased by $30. The tow truck finally arrived, and we followed him to our garage. When we went to sign the paperwork, the tow truck driver advised that NJM did not include the tolls cost in our final price. He was nice enough to let it go, but he also mentioned that the other tow company is known for backing out and NJM is aware of it. So, in the end, we wasted an entire day waiting because NJM dropped the ball several times throughout this entire process. While we waited for the tow, we signed up with AAA who we always had previously, but cancelled when we got NJM. Now we know better so thanks NJM for letting us know that your roadside assistance leaves much to be desired!!!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

I got my car repaired and fixed, and their Claims Dept (Tina and Donna) would not reimburse the money. They cheat and betray and back out on their own words, even when everything is documented. They are bunch of liars and cheaters. Now I would have to take them to the court.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

My family and I were in an accident that totaled the car. No one was seriously hurt and the other party was at fault. I called NJM to start the process as I was unfamiliar with what to do after an accident, further, I was still in a malaise and not thinking too clearly. Since it happened on a Saturday, I went ahead on Sunday to get a rental car. I booked something similar ($100/day) to transport the family, plus I put out the $90 to get a Lyft back home.

When NJM called me back, they said I was not authorized to spend $100 per day for the car. I had just assumed they would get the money for me from the other insurance company. It took forever, I had returned the car so I am out $300 and was using my wife's car as NJM stated if I don't use my rental they can apply to the bottom line for my car. We needed to wait for the police report, which took over a week, then started to review the claim. They came back with such a low amount I stated there is no way I could buy what I had on that. So they said they would re-review it. I gave them 3 examples what I could find, be it I could only find the exact model in other states. They said they could not use that. I asked them to show me what car they found and only gave me a lame report. No examples.

Finally they came back with about $1k more and during this time I went and found an older car which was not the same model and had less features for $2k more than what they gave me. Plus I had a $2k deductible and have not received that and not sure if I will be. When I received the check there was a letter that stated NJM may find you the same car and buy it, or buy you something similar or make up the difference. I was like, "WHAT? You tell me this after you drag your feet and I buy something because I need to get to work?" I reply back and after 3 weeks they tell me, "Sorry you don't get any more." So I am out almost $5k out of pocket expenses and have had a very bad experience. I will be checking other insurance companies and switching as soon as I can. I am a long time member too, 23 years. :(

NJM Auto Insurance Company Information