2. Finance
  3. Life Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.17/5

New York Life offers life insurance as well as other financial services. Term and permanent policies are available, including whole, universal and variable universal life policies. With nine optional riders, customers can increase coverage, getting access to funds in case of disability, accident or market downturn.

BOTTOM LINE

New York Life offers term, whole, universal and variable universal life insurance coverage along with various rider options. The online calculators are easy to use. Customers must contact a financial professional to apply.

PROS

• Riders available
  • No medical exam
  • Coverage calculator

CONS

• No online application

Top New York Life Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about New York Life?

I had questions when I first was looking for life insurance between term and whole life and when I called customer service they were very good at explaining the differences and very patient with me. I was extremely happy with the service I got from them. Would recommend them to everybody.

Have had N.Y. Life along with my parents and three sibs for over 50 years. The passing of each person, there was a personal connection with the agent. They... were always there for any questions. Agents make the company and...if you want more than term then the best value for your buck is N.Y. Life.

About New York Life

New York Life Insurance Company sells term, whole, universal and variable universal life insurance to customers ages 18 to 64, with maximum coverage depending on your choice of plan. Use the company’s online calculators to determine coverage and retirement needs. In addition, New York Life offers other services, including wealth management, investment planning and retirement income.

To apply for New York Life life insurance, you must first get in touch with one of its financial professionals. You are asked a series of questions about your health and life insurance needs. The company does not require a medical exam.

The assigned financial professional uses your answers to determine how much life insurance coverage you qualify for and how much it will cost.

New York Life policies and coverage

New York Life offers term, whole, variable universal and universal life insurance.

• Term life insurance: Coverage ranging from 10 to 20 years, with premiums locked in five-year increments
    • Whole life insurance: Guaranteed lifetime coverage along with a continuously growing cash value; options for paying monthly, quarterly or annually; accrued dividends
    • Variable universal life insurance: Long-term life insurance with a cash balance that has the ability to grow according to the market; customers can adjust premiums as desired
    • Universal life insurance: Long-term option for customers who are not interested in growing a cash balance

New York Life insurance riders

In addition to term and coverage plans, customers may choose to add on a variety of riders and benefits. New York Life offers:

• Death benefit: Various options allow customers to choose how their death benefit is distributed to selected beneficiaries.
    • Chronic care: Should you become chronically ill, this rider enables you to access a death benefit tax-free.
    • Money-back option: This rider allows customers to receive a cancellation refund during certain periods.
    • Monthly deduction waiver: This rider waives certain life insurance-related fees.
    • Waiver of specified premium: If you’re unable to pay premiums for whatever reason, this option temporarily covers payments.
    • Guaranteed minimum accumulation benefit: For those accumulating a cash balance, this rider protects investments should the market fall.
    • Accidental death benefit: If you die suddenly because of an accident, this option provides an extra death benefit to your beneficiaries.
    • Living benefits: Use a portion of your death benefit to cover treatment and care if you are diagnosed with mental illness.
    • Spouse’s paid-up option: In case of your death, a spouse can use the value from your policy to receive New York Life insurance without a medical exam.

New York Life insurance cost

New York Life life insurance rates for term coverage typically fall between $25 and $90 per month. Whole life insurance premiums fall between $40 and $120 per month. New York Life insurance quotes cannot be obtained online. Instead, interested customers must fill out a form. Your information is sent to an agent who contacts you about a policy and provides cost estimates. Cost depends on your health, age and coverage needs.

If you’re unsure what coverage you need, use New York Life’s needs calculator. Answer a few questions and the calculator determines how much coverage is necessary in the short and long term. For instance, a healthy 35-year-old looking to gain coverage for a spouse and child on a salary of $50,000 needs $1,422,325 in temporary and permanent coverage, according to the calculator. Customers can choose to review more coverage options or speak to a financial professional about their results.

New York Life FAQ

Can I pay my New York Life insurance online?
    Yes, customers can pay New York Life insurance premiums online.
    Does New York Life require a medical exam?
    No, New York Life doesn’t require a medical exam for life insurance.
    Does New York Life have living benefits?
    Yes, New York Life offers customers the ability to add on a living benefits rider, which allows a portion of the death benefit to pay for treatment for mental illness.
    Do New York Life insurance premiums increase over time?
    It depends on the type of life insurance you purchase. Permanent life insurance allows customers to enjoy a set premium for life, whereas term life insurance premiums increase every five years.

Is New York Life insurance good?

New York Life insurance is an ideal option for families looking to purchase life insurance and financial planning services in one place. With access to personal financial professionals, customers have the ability to tailor plans and additional services to their needs. Though the company offers extensive coverage information on its website, customers must speak with a financial professional to get a quote.

New York Life Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about New York Life?

Original review: July 6, 2020

Have 3 policies for the past 16 years. Paying extra to build up cash value. I took out a small loan on the policy, the rep. told me that I don't have to pay, cause I had a cash value built up and the dividend amount would be adjusted towards the loan. Turned out the policy value went down, loan on the interest is being added to the principal amount, and accumulating, while I am still paying the full insurance amount plus an additional money. Getting ripped off big time. Stay away from this company..

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

The rudest agent - Connie ** from Houston. Scolding family members, hang up client phone call, underestimate client value and reluctant listen to client. As a result, stop dealing with this agent. Wasting money and time with her!

Get buying tips about Life Insurance Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

I was trying to set up an annuity with them and we went through all the details and set everything up with their agent and I wrote them a check and they cashed it. We went through the entire process and then some later they said sorry they are going to reject me from getting an annuity because my income is too low. It was a one time lump sum I was giving them so they could invest it for my retirement. They cashed the check and they knew the money was good. I don't understand why my income matters in the slightest, as they already had my payment upfront and they would never be any payments from me in the future. They take all their money as percentage of the money made on the investments in the annuity. So I don't at all understand how they could deny me for not having enough income when it is entirely irrelevant to the annuity.

I would understand it, if they thought I was giving them too much money for my income level, and they suspected I was cheating on my taxes, or was working off the books in something illegal and they didn't want part in that, but that isn't the case. I filed all the paperwork to show where the money was coming from and that wasn't the issue. The issue is they said my income is too low for the annuity I wanted, even though it was a one time payment on my part and I would never be required to add money to it.

I guess they just think they're too good for my money, or they are not interested in my business as they don't think they can upsell me on other services in the future. I don't know. They didn't really bother to explain their reasons to me. Either way I am very disappointed in their company and if they don't want my money I guess I will go else where.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

If you read the reviews of this company, you will find a trend. Reasonable well-rated by people who have not actually made claim on a policy, very poorly rated by people who have. My experience with a Long Term Care policy fits the profile perfectly. The company has good customer service until the claim is made, then NYL will play every angle to avoid paying, responses will become glacial, and new conditions will be introduced. The company has not embraced modern technology and can only communicate by phone/fax (but is unwilling to make an international call). I strongly recommend anyone considering an insurance product go elsewhere. The security NYL offers is a mirage and you will have to fight for every penny in benefits. Amy ** is my Lead Care Coordinator and has proven to be a caricature of everything that is bad within the insurance industry.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

I was a customer for over 20 years. Over that time their customer service was far below average but I signed up for a policy when I was in my 20s and kept paying it despite very infrequent status updates. Now in my 40s I have much better insurance and no need for the old policy. I have tried 3x to cancel it and surrender my policy to get the cash value funds. They give you the run around when you call and make you fill out a paper form that they only accept by fax or mail. How they can do business like that in today's age of technology is astounding.

After faxing the form 3 times and not being mailed a check I am livid. The longer they hold off on sending you a check the lower amount they pay out as the cash value keeps decreasing. This is obviously an intentional policy. They won't give you the name or contact number for anyone specific and the only way I was able to get a "request for callback" was to tell them I would be leaving multiple online reviews. Save yourself time and hassle by NOT doing business with New York Life. This is obviously an intentional practice to defraud former customers of funds. I will be reporting to the consumer affairs division along with BBB.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2019

My Annuity account continually lost value of several years and my account manager was removed from my account because he shared my personal financial information with a new account to which I referred. My business partner informed of this and I filed a complaint. I was transferred to another account manager in Dallas, Texas and had to beg for services and advice. When the Account manager was out of town there was no backup and she would not respond, leaving it to her assistant. When I had "timely" requests for withdrawals, I was simply told to fill out their withdrawal form, which is a legal document that required interpretation and explanation. I requested that and was simply told to use it. I would NOT recommend NY Life as I even had to cancel my life insurance policy because of the increasing fees and exclusions that pop-up when it suits NY Life. I am 75 and have used NY Life for over 30 years and it was a bust for me!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

Their promised refund took weeks to process and I was misled three times on when refund check would be mailed. Even sent bogus UPS tracking number as part of delaying process. They are not above lying.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

I have had a bad experience dealing with New York Life. I have put in my money monthly. I call to get the billing changed and they still deduct from my bank account without authorization and put me in the red. Any changes I need to do are always messed up with this company.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

I applied for whole life insurance thru the agent that handles my annuity with them. (That's another story.) I had to go for a medical checkup thru them & answer the usual medical questions. Over 20 yrs. ago I had hepatitis (The Baby Boomer problem). I received treatment & was cured of my hepatitis. I had been periodically checked thru the next few years & had no recurrence. Now they also had access to my medical records but claimed that I never had follow up testing which is **. Anyway my agent asked if I'd be willing to do some more blood work to prove I no longer had hepatitis, I agreed, of course it came back negative.

Now after 20 yrs & a test I'm apparently still a risk? So anyone that has had Baby Boomer Hepatitis can't get whole life insurance anywhere. (I say this because I ran into the same problem with numerous other companies, I can't even list them all.) Because of that I figured that as long as NYL had my business for another product I might have better luck. Obviously not even when I agreed to have more blood work to prove my health was good. Most people would have refused especially after a 20 yr. span with no Hep in sight. This in no way reflects on my agent who actually spoke with them about it, even he couldn't fathom that kind of reasoning. (Is that reasoning???)

Anyway if you aren't completely healthy & have never had ANY medical problems in your WHOLE life you shouldn't waste your time with this company whether you're searching for whole life or term insurance, especially judging by the rest of the reviews on this company's customer service on anything relating to insurance, either getting it or getting them to honor their policies, when needed.

Original review: July 9, 2019

My 94 yo mother passed away this April. She and my dad had a policy that should have provided a $2000 claim at the time of her passing. When I provided a death certificate to New York Life, I received a letter stating she lived beyond the average lifespan. So, if you are a client of New York Life and live a long life, this company feels you don't deserve a funeral? Shame on this heartless company!

MBA, Tiverton RI