Term Life Insurance Quotes

Protect your loved ones. Check rates against other carriers.

Compare Rates
  2. Finance
  3. Life Insurance

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.29/5

Term Life Insurance Quotes

Protect your loved ones. Check rates against other carriers.

Compare Rates

New York Life Reviews

Original review: May 14, 2019

If you are purchasing a short or long term disability policy from New York Life, expect to be left in the dark and a cold shoulder when its time for them to uphold their end of the deal. Our agent was as good as any agent, but this was because he is personally a great guy. However, as a whole New York Life has a major barrier between their organization and their members. Other than their life insurance portal, New York Life (NYL) has no online member services and will not send any copies of your policy.

We purchased our short and long term disability through NYL and it took well over 4 months for them to process our paperwork. With no member portal to access our account, we had no idea this 4 month delay had even happened. When we signed, it had a start date of one month from the date of signing for the start of our Short-Term Disability policy. Every other policy we purchased began, except our Short Term Disability. We received No notification of the start of our policy and no account summary to even understand what the policy covered and when our coverage actually had begun. This strategy, to keep their members in the dark, seems to be a pattern across the organization. Fine print excuses and no policy to reference, we were completely dis-empowered as a member.

A year and some odd months later, we needed to submit a claim for my wife's maternity leave. We were told that it was denied for a "pre-existing condition". If we signed the policy over a year prior to her getting pregnant, how could we have possibly known she was to become pregnant? Even if the policy went into effect 5 months after our signing of the contract, still we could not have known my wife would become pregnant. We had received no paperwork regarding our account and were left in the dark until the denial letter for the claim came in the mail.

We appealed and again requested a copy of our policy and the terms (fine print) contained in it. No policy paperwork ever came and with no online portal we were left paralyzed as members. The appeal was quickly denied and we never received an explanation as to how they determined this "pre-existing condition" (other than some ineligible policy mumbo jumbo) nor a notification (or apology) as to why our policy took over 4 months to be processed. Ultimately, we never received any paperwork on our policy and no effort from NYL to talk to us or explain their mistake and the confusion it caused.

Unfortunately, this conglomerate is not concerned with its members. We were disregarded and overlooked during a major period in our lives, after we had thoughtfully planned and purchased a policy that should have covered us through such a life changing event (both out of work to care for our newborn). While there is no online portal for their disability customers, there is a member portal for their Life Insurance customers (policies we also have). Yet, we do not feel confident that (god forbid something did happen to us) that our life insurance policy would actually cover anything. The fear that they will find some technicality or fine print that alleviates them from ever paying any claims is the impression we are left with. And worse, no intention to make their policy details known to their customers.

Original review: May 9, 2019

Honestly, I would tell everyone to stay away from NEW YORK LIFE INSURANCE. My ex-husband had life insurance policy with them for 15 years with our children as beneficiaries. He died unexpectedly and when I filed the claim with New York Life, they simply denied the claim due to the deceased having missed 2 monthly payments of $28/month. He had this policy for 15 years and always paid. Before his sudden death, he became ill but did not tell anyone about it. All of his bills fell behind including the auto-pay for the premium of his life insurance. You would think that after paying a policy for 15 years without ever missing a payment, the company would pay but it's not the case. They didn't bother to notify him that his policy had lapsed. I am actually in the market right to purchase life insurance but there is no way I will ever deal with NEW YORK LIFE - THEY ARE THE WORSE!!

Original review: May 1, 2019

I used to work for NYL... They have some great products as long as you have an agent that is actually explaining all of the pros and cons to you. Employees are paid on commission only - bonuses on top of qualifying commissions. Management talks a lot about "doing what is right for the consumer" but I have personally seen so many times where the opposite is done and management will limit what they suggest an agent do based on the licenses of the agent. Customer service is pretty good if you are a client only, and not an employee.

The company has high sales quotas and a revolving door of new hires. They have the capability of doing full service financial advising but will more often than not tell you to put a bunch of money into whole life policies - employees get paid better on those and management gets bonuses on how much "production" new agents do. Most everything they do and say is for the paycheck. I don't think whole life is a scam but I think they try to get clients to commit to way too much and will recommend it for everyone. Finances aren't a one-size fits all. I didn't do well because I'm honest and care more about the client than the company.

Original review: March 17, 2019

They ask medical questions and will deny you because of your answers. But NY Life with AARP sends out ads of a final death insurance with NO medical questions, but they ask many. Then if you answer truthfully, they deny based on your answers. DON’T FALL FOR NEW YORK’S DECEPTIVE ADS!!!

Original review: March 12, 2019

They talk you into policies with promising numbers - but once you sign up - nothing but fees. If you deposit $400, they only "invest" $370 or so. 7% in fees!? They aren't that up in stock market gains, that's for sure. It's ridiculous. They say how NY Life has "dividends" they pay - I've never received any dividends. This company is very deceiving and fraudulent basically. AVOID AT ALL COSTS!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about New York Life?

Original review: March 7, 2019

What a joke!!! New York Life routinely misplaces documents that can't get death benefits paid out and everyone has an excuse. We have been trying to get money from them for two months and there is a failure at every level. Everyone should file complaints with their state insurance boards to hold someone responsible!!!

Original review: March 4, 2019

I just spoke with Sheri **'s Cleveland Ohio service center. Asked her speak with her supervisor Tammy **. She was on the other line. Sheri stated that I had a P.O. Box address on file for her to send a copy original policy. I told her I have already provided my correct mailing address and it is updated on your system because a letter has came to me from NYLI company. She kept on saying it's my PO Box on the system. She took all my information sweetly. But at then at the end I didn't get anything but telling me I will be corresponded thru email. If I already have received a letter from them. How can they not have my correct address on file?

I have been their client since July 1997. And this is the service I get. When they write policy they very sweet and make it look like you protected. But as soon as your life changes they don't have any help but mail policy surrender form without any options. They make it seem like you are no longer good. The system didn't update address but currently I received mail correctly. How can you trust this system??? I visited the website and how it talks about the sustainability. Looking forward to hearing from someone resolve the issue rather than keep updating my address.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I was told when I signed up for a Life Insurance Policy in February from AARP through New York Life that my policy would have cash value if I needed it at a later time or decided to do away with the policy. Since that time, I have had money taken out of my account on a monthly basis and have not received, but only received my initial mailings with forms. Today I canceled and was told that it has NO CASH value and to "HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY." After reading other reviews today, I'm personally glad that I'm canceling at this time instead of later. I have now lost over $500 with no chance of getting it back instead of thousands like other people. I'll never deal with New York Life. Again.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

A friend of mine who was an agent for NYL advised me to open both a term policy and whole life policy about a year and a half ago. When I unexpectedly got laid off this year, I was unable to make my very high premium payments on the whole life policy, so I worked with my agent for over a month on the surrender of the policy. He informed me that I would get a check for approximately 20% of what I'd put into the policy thus far. When the check finally arrived (2 months after I surrendered the policy) it was less than 1% of the value that I had put into the policy up to this point. Furthermore, I randomly get calls from varying agents about my term policy... It seems there is no coordination and certainly no honesty associated with this company. So basically, if you want to just donate money to major corporation with any unlikely payout at the end, stick with NYL. If not, I'd recommend avoiding this scam altogether.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I am experiencing very bad behavior from one of your Agent. We met about 3-4 years before, His name is Deepak **, from Edison NJ Area. His Number is **. He calls me every year, push me some insurance policy to buy, first he starts talking nice and when I speak about numbers he doesn't have much to speak. He doesn't try to understand my requirements first of all when I try to explain. He always wants to sell me whole life policy and I never want to buy it, I keep explaining same thing. But when he still tried to push I told him to send some numbers via email. He never wants to send me an email (not sure why). He then start asking me to come and meet personally. When insisted to first send numbers and if it looks fine will meet. I didn't want to spoil both of our time.

Then the real story starts. He started cursing me with so much negative attitude. He told "I don't know why I called you..." and then he told me "I don't know why I put my leg on you". This is really not acceptable, I am victim of this negative attitude 3 times, last 2 times also he spoke to me. He gets very angry on the phone, speak few bad sentences and disconnects phone and doesn't listen to me. This made me think that entire New York Life Insurance Company itself is like this. Please make sure he never calls me again. I tried to reach Kevin ** compliance head NYL - **, it always goes in his voice mail. Never returned call till now.

New York Life Company Information