Nationwide - Homeowners

Nationwide Homeowners Insurance
Compare Quotes
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.17/5

Nationwide Insurance provides home and auto insurance for clients across the country. Nationwide is not an InsuraMatch verified carrier. Contact InsuraMatch to receive multiple quotes from insurance companies to find the right carrier for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Nationwide - Homeowners Compare Quotes

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

Get matched with an Insurance Provider

See if you can save today on Everquote

Find my match

Nationwide Homeowners Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Homeowners Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Insurance?

Original review: April 25, 2020

They have to be forced to pay and end up paying restoration company but not my out of pocket expenses or ruined furniture but do send out paperwork increasing monthly payment. They lie and say the check is in the mail...Still waiting... Been since January and it’s the end of April. I hate this company and hope no one ever lets them screw them over.

Original review: March 31, 2020

I live in East Nashville that was hit badly by the tornado on 3/3/20 and damaged my wooden fence (about 255 ft), part of it fell down and other damages in each side of the fence, I filed a claim in the same date, a claim specialist Mr. ** came on 3/9/20 gave me estimate for 144 ft replacement damaged fence $3,539.88 & 16 feet gate $604.70 & hauling $119.33, so the total amount $4,263.91 & issued me a check for $3,263.91 after $1,000 deductible. I called Lowe's to hire a professional licensed fence contractor to get the job done but they said the entire fence got damaged and need replacement, also the hauling fee $119.33 is too low, then gave me estimate for $7,995.

I emailed Lowe's estimate to Mr. ** and I mentioned I haven’t cashed the check so he can void it and send me another check with enough money after my $1,000 deductible but he ignored to reply for 5 days till I text him, then he replied and said, the Lowe’s contractor is incorrect and not the entire fence was damaged, the hauling fee $119.33 is reasonable, and "estimates from Lowe’s, Home Depot, and the like are not considered for coverage as they are highly inflated by the price charged by the retailer for their role in the process. I would highly recommend that you contact a fencing contractor specifically in order to receive a more reasonable bid. At this time the estimate is not able to be revised based on the information you have provided. Therefore, voiding and reissuing a check will not be necessary."

So, I contacted another 3 professional licensed companies and gave me estimates for replacing the entire damaged fence for $6,295.75 & $6,102 & $6,659 with the following notice: 1) All estimates include about $800 - $1,595.75 Hauling. 2) All estimates don't include compressor fee to remove rocks if required. The average of the 3 estimates $6,352.25 which is much higher than the insurance estimate of $4,263.91 so I will pay out of my pocket other than my $1,000 deductible by about $2,088.34 plus compressor fee if required.

I emailed Mr. ** the 3 estimates and I said my broken fence still down on ground since 3/3/20 & my neighbor's dog poops in my yard so it's getting nasty there & it can cause problems with my neighbor too. Also, other than I did maintenance to my fence since I bought my home on 2/2019, I cut 3 big old trees last Nov 2019, out of my pocket expense, these old trees could damage the home structure & and the fence too like what happened at my area in East Nashville from tornado, so it would cost Nationwide thousands which much more than just replacing the entire damaged fence.

I got auto reply he is off for a week and contact Ms. Casey **, I did and she called me and said, "Your policy provides coverage for direct physical damage like a roof from wind damaged. The policy covers replacement the damaged section only regardless matching the shingles materials and color but I agree the hauling fee is low, I am just emergency contact person & you can wait till Mr. ** comes back."

I requested a copy of my policy from my agent and I emailed it to her to highlight what she was talking about, but she replied with some paragraphs that was not from what I emailed her and said not the entire fence was damaged. I replied back and said 4 professional licensed fence company gave an estimate to replace the entire damaged fence and their estimates didn't have an option for partial replacement, also they refused to install new materials with damaged materials and posts to have weak and ugly looking fence so they gave me their contact info to let Nationwide contact them for any questions, but she refused to contact them and she said “That particular task can wait until his return because it does not affect the claim outcome or result in any additional payment owed. Mr. ** manager is my manager also, and he is already aware of the situation and would reiterate the same”.

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 12, 2020

Nationwide will have your back on mayhem. They covered hail and wind damage on my roof in a very proficient and incredible way. Got the check immediately. Really Trustworthy. They sent a ladder company to assess damages and coordinated with my contractor and their adjuster.

Original review: March 5, 2020

Horrible! Nationwide is NOT on your side. I have had Nationwide Insurance for auto, home and other (wedding ring) for over 20 years. Last year I chipped my wedding ring diamond and filed a claim. Even though my coverage covered reimbursing the original (retail) cost of my ring they said they would only give me the wholesale value. They wanted us to take a 10k loss! $10,000 less than we paid, folks! Agent Randall ** had purchased the agency of my original agent and one can only gather he switched my policy at some point without my consent. To add insult to injury, I was told I should have claimed I lost my ring to get the full value!

Then Nationwide tried to force us to go through "their" private jeweler to replace my diamond. So they still wanted to short us the 10k, but they also wanted to make a profit by selling me a low quality diamond. Their diamonds were NOT comparable in quality to my diamond. I have filed complaints with multiple organizations like the BBB and the Tx Dept of Insurance, but since it has been implied the agent changed my policy it's likely I will get screwed. Stay away from this agent and Nationwide Insurance at all cost, because you will pay for it when you have to file a claim.

Original review: March 4, 2020

Hi this is Steve with Taylor HVAC and Mechanical. I was insured with Nationwide for a year-and-a-half and in the last 6 months they have totally ripped me off in every way possible known to the insurance world. I would strongly recommend anyone who is looking into getting insurance with this company to look elsewhere. They are by far the biggest joke I've ever dealt with in my entire life. I'm a 42 year old business owner and have dealt with lots of insurance companies and I would definitely not recommend them to my worst enemy.

Everyone knows that insurance companies are a complete rip-off but I don't think I have ever been violated by an insurance company of the way I have been by Nationwide Insurance. Their group of people were absolutely horrible to work with and they will do and say anything to get more money from you any means possible. I hope there anybody looking for insurance will read this and I hope it saves you as much trouble as it's caused me. Thank you and have a good day.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2020

Only had Nationwide insurance for two years but, know that Nationwide is only for Nationwide. Filed a claim of the that a theft took place when we sold our home and moved out. Nationwide kept asking for same document over and over. Finally, after waiting over 5 months we were denied. Their agents don't have conscience or souls... Don't know how agents sleep at night. That's why I say Nationwide is only on Nationwide's side. Company should go out of business for the way they treat their customers..

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

Had a roof leak repaired by a local reputable contractor. There is damage to the ceiling and walls near where the roof leak was repaired. The Nationwide adjuster came out to survey the damage and issued a check for damage to the walls but refused to pay for the roof repair because he was unable to visually inspect the damage before the repair, even though he admitted he could see the repair and the damage caused by the leak. Unbelievable!! Nationwide is not on your side!!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

I paid 10 years of home insurance premiums to this company and when I filed for stolen property, was asked for the same documents over and over again. The adjustor closed my claim, telling me that I have not responded to her paper mails that I never received. She had my email and stopped sending me emails. This company needs to be audited!

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

Updated on 03/07/2020: Update. I am suing Nationwide and the contractor they provided for neglecting to remedy half the home from a hot water leak. If you have a claim against Nationwide, expect to have to take them to court.

Original review: Hotwater heater flooded out small one level home. Nationwide came out and fixed part of the home. They neglected to even test 28" in the other direction. Now we have mold and floor rot because they refuse to cover it. Never ever use Nationwide.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2019

A classic bait and switch company telling you one thing when you sign up but always finding a way to not pay valid claims, routinely covered by other insurance providers. Customer service is non-existent.

Nationwide Insurance author review by Matthew Brodsky

This company offers multiple types of insurance and provides online bill pay and claim filing. Customers can file claims, record damage and manage their policies from its mobile app. AM Best has given the company an A+ rating for financial strength.

• Cost: The average annual premium with Nationwide is around $2,000. Premiums for cheaper homes trend toward $1,500, while more expensive homes see premiums closer to $3,000.

• Plans and coverage: Nationwide’s basic policy covers replacement costs for dwellings, personal property, loss of use, inflation protection, ordinances and loss assessment. Its Protection Boost endorsement offers extended coverage for personal property, debris removal and valuables.

• Discounts: Nationwide offers discounts for new homes, homes in gated communities, no claims, policy bundles, protective devices, new roofs and hail-resistant roofs.

• Availability: Nationwide homeowners insurance is not available in Alaska, Florida, Hawaii, Louisiana, Massachusetts, New Jersey or New Mexico. It is available in all other states and Washington, D. C.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor