Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Compare Quotes
Nationwide - Homeowners
3.94/5

Nationwide - Homeowners

Nationwide Insurance provides home and auto insurance for clients across the country. Nationwide is not an InsuraMatch verified carrier. Contact InsuraMatch to receive multiple quotes from insurance companies to find the right carrier for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Compare and Save - Protect Your Home

Compare Quotes

Nationwide - Homeowners Reviews

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Before I decided, I did a lot of reading and Nationwide had good reviews about their company. They had good coverage and great rates at the time I was looking for flood insurance for my home. Very good customer service and local office so if I needed someone to talk to, I could go directly there to talk to a person about a certain matter. And also good reliability on their website. But I would like it if they had more customer service people that knew more answers to more of my questions when I call. And I wish they didn't have to check my credit and not do rate increases so much based on my credit.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

We like that Nationwide gives an amount that you have to have for a deductible for it can be added for insurance. It does us what and what is not included in the flood insurance. What we dislike though is we have to pay more for the deductible than it can be used to fix the problem. It does cover areas not near the flood area and the insurance is too high to pay when it is not needed. We live in an area that does not need flood insurance. I thought that this insurance was the best one when I looked it up the internet but I needed to know more right now.

Get expert buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

Lender-placed. I live in Florida. Insurance is difficult even when I have had no claims or issues and do not live in a flood zone. But am glad for the good coverage and service I receive and know if I had a claim I would receive help when I needed it regardless of the issue. Easy to deal with Nationwide and helpful and responsive when called regarding questions and provide answers in understandable plain English explanations of your policy and coverage with polite service. But their website is somewhat clunky and phone wait hold times are sometimes long. But overall result is very good which offsets any annoyances navigating their site or listening to their hold music which is also good.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

Nationwide is very trustworthy and has been around and beats out many, many, many of the other companies that are around nowadays who provide homeowners insurance. Nationwide is amazing and we love them. I chose this company for their friendliness and ease of business to do with them. They have had our backs whenever disaster or inconvenience occurs and they have never given us a problem about settling with a check or squaring away any differences in the policy amounts that may come from what we have to come out of pocket for any expenses. They've always reimbursed and always been there no matter what many times that we've never had to go out of our way to have everything we needed.

I also chose Nationwide for the price. It is very lenient and very marginal to what the homeowner's home is worth compared to how much you pay on a policy. It's also a good deal as far as you always get more than what you pay for. They have a extremely wide range of what they cover. They cover damages as far as natural disaster damage, hail damage, wind damage, theft, fire damage and more.

The policy could always be cheaper as far as how much you pay. They could also provide more coverage for a wider array of things that could happen. The only thing that could make them better is if they were available on point on demand anytime, anywhere, anyplace. The fact that if you were to pay your homeowners insurance faithfully from the time you start to pay your mortgage on your home till the day you die you will never pay more on your insurance policy than what your home is worth because Nationwide is awesome. They're the best at negotiating prices and knowing what the loss and Gain ratio is as far as how much you will stand to gain. As long as you have Nationwide you will be okay!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I really like Nationwide. I compared this company and other companies before making a decision to go with this company. Nationwide has a great reputation and they have met the needs that I have had. They are a well known company that provides excellent coverage. Their rates are excellent, and the customer service reps are awesome. Their commercial are good too. They are clever, and they let you know that they will always be there when they are needed. Customer service is excellent. There are lots of locations and their website is set up in a way that allows to obtain the information that I need. My family will be using them for a long time. Nationwide is one of the best insurance companies ad I think they are better than Progressive, Geico or State Farm.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Insurance?

Original review: Sept. 28, 2019

A classic bait and switch company telling you one thing when you sign up but always finding a way to not pay valid claims, routinely covered by other insurance providers. Customer service is non-existent.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

I have had Nationwide homeowners and property insurance for years. For the first time, in early 2019, I needed to file a claim. They stalled, lowballed and took up an inordinate amount of my time over many months. I finally got that property repaired and they covered the majority of the cost. I paid a few thousand. I have now filed a claim on my own home and they are even worse. All the homes in my neighborhood are getting new roofs from hail damage on May 24. Not me. Nationwide wants to replace a few shingles. They arbitrarily closed my claim. They have not responded for over two weeks to the photos, video and roofing company report. I am now resorting to hiring my own independent roof inspector.

Frankly I will never do business with them again. I advise you to look elsewhere. Their lack of customer service is appalling. Their blatant attempts to not pay claims is disgusting. My local roofing company said this is the only time they have seen a company try to replace a few shingles from this storm. Farmers insurance adjuster told me they estimate 10,000 new roof claims. I will likely turn this over to my attorney soon but wanted to warn others.

Original review: May 6, 2019

Nationwide rejected my homeowner's insurance application because in July 2017, I claimed through my renter's insurance (through Allstate) a total of $1100 - a small and meagre amount to cover damages in the unit below. The water from the bathtub caused water leakage in the unit below. Allstate paid for the damages in the full amount. Since this valid claim is linked to my social security, Nationwide rejected me. Think how they will treat minor claims and big claims when some bad happens to you. Message to Nationwide: Don't be an insurance company if you cannot handle claims. Stop offering insurance to people right now. Stop collecting premiums from people you think are "safe" and will never make a claim.

Original review: April 21, 2019

We’ve had Nationwide home and auto for the 12 years we’ve been in our home. No auto claims. One home claim in 2011 when hot water tank flooded our hardwood floors and Nationwide paid to replace entire living, dining and kitchen floors and to pay our hotel stay for 17 nights, about $17,000. But when hurricane Florence hit we had downed large elms, entire roof shingles pitted and lifted, 40 ft privacy fence blown out, cement driveway lifted and broke to large pieces from root ball. Entire damage out of pocket over $26,100 with Nationwide paying $6049.

They refused to pay roof except for value of two bundles for roof repair (they said repairable but 3 roofing contractors and an independent appraiser said roof had to be replaced), $4900 for drive which cost $8300 to replace, $226 for fence which cost $1000, and $900 or so for tree removal. Local insurance rep good to deal with but had to deal with agent in Ohio about all claims. 6 months after repeated delays and procrastination with rain leaking onto ceiling in various spots I paid $15900 to replace roof. I’m dumping Nationwide as they sure are not on my side. BTW, we were paying $2400 annual home ins premium.

Original review: March 10, 2019

I lost many of my possessions in a storage unit, because Nationwide refused to pay the storage unit fees after they agreed to pay the fees! Unbelievable! Nationwide is a disgusting and deceitful company! My advice is to stay far away from Nationwide! For anyone considering Nationwide as their insurance provider, just look into Nationwide's bad faith, and how the company was hit with $18 million in punitive damages in 2014, and realize just how deceitful Nationwide is!

Nationwide Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Nationwide was first founded in 1925 in Columbus, Ohio. Originally, it had 1,000 policyholders. Today, it’s one of the country’s largest insurance companies, and it offers several types of insurance, including homeowners insurance and auto insurance.

• Great discounts: Nationwide offers excellent discounts for homeowners, including up to 20 percent discount for insurance if customers bundle their homeowners and car insurance.

• Belongings replacement service: Nationwide offers the Brand New Belongings service, which replaces belongings that are lost or damaged when a home undergoes an accident or damage. For example, this program will replace items that are burned in fires, broken by falling trees or damaged by severe weather like tornadoes.

• Processing speed: Nationwide is known for processing customer claims fast, which means that customers who submit a homeowners insurance claim can expect their claim to be evaluated and their money given to the them quicker than most insurance companies.

• Company: Nationwide is a large company, so customers may feel that they do not get much individualized or personal customer service attention. Most consumers must deal with a central customer service center, which is likely not in the location a customer is calling from, although Nationwide has a network of agents around the country.

• Qualifications: Nationwide has stringent qualification standards that have to be met to approve people for policies, and people with financial troubles or weak credit may not qualify for Nationwide homeowners insurance.

• Best for: Traditional homeowners, condo owners, farm owners