Nationwide - Homeowners

Compare Homeowners Insurance Companies

Research top Homeowners Insurance Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Horrible, deceptive and sloppy service is exactly what I have received so far from Nationwide insurance services. I have been shocked and disgusted with their lack of service, and from my perspective, saying Nationwide is on your side is a blatant and bold faced lie. So the situation was that one night, my neighbors tree, which is been hanging over my house for some time, fell down ripping a giant hole in my roof and landed in my bedroom/office. I had been sitting at my desk working on bills about three minutes before the tree fell. I got up to get a snack and that's when the tree landed on my house and it sounded like an explosion. A giant branch landed right at the chair where I had been sitting three minutes earlier. If I've been sitting in the chair when the tree fell, it would've hit split my head open and I would not be writing this today.

I looked for a place to stay for myself and my son and could not find anything nearby that was available and was anywhere close to us other than a one bedroom one bath hotel room. I talked to my insurance agents, Sanfilippo & sons insurance agency, and they told me to make arrangements for a place to stay and the insurance would cover it. I ended up making arrangements for my son and I to stay at a friends house for a price that was less than we would've paid for a hotel. The insurance adjuster, David **, told me that the insurance would not cover that and that if I was staying with a friend, they might be able to pay me about $50 a week because "a friend shouldn't charge you that much".

He also suggested that my son and I move in with my parents for a while so I explained to him that my parents were dead and that I had not been paying my friend, whose house my son and I was staying at, many, many years of premiums to take care of us in an emergency. He retorted that I hadn't just "jumped into a pile of money" and that nationwide insurance would not cover to stay at my friends house even though it was cheaper than it would've been if we had stayed at a hotel. He went on to tell me I had no rental loss insurance on my property so they would not cover me for the loss of income from my tenant. This was also found to be untrue as I read over my insurance policy again. This guy David ** seems to think when he makes a decision about my policy, there is no room for discussion, although frequently he is been dead wrong.

What is also amazing to me is the little nationwide is on your side theme and we are attempting to give you great service, which is written on the bottom of each note that he sends. It says if you've not received exceptional service to give a call to a particular person and they give that person's phone number. The particular name and the particular number is David ** and is the phone number I've been calling. So if I'm not happy with my service I complain to the person who's giving me horrible service??? Isn't that someone similar to being raped and then reporting the rape to the rapist???

So I'm not finished with the process yet, so if there are massive changes in the way I am treated I could change my rating, but let me tell you, it doesn't seem likely. So to summarize, I had a tree fall on my house, through no fault of my own. I was told to find a place to stay temporarily, I was told to find a contractor to rebuild my house, and now Nationwide is telling me, through their agent David **, that my contractors are charging more than they should so Nationwide is not willing to pay them. So a tree falls on my house, again through no fault of my own, and it now appears like I'm going to be out at least $20,000 to have my house built back to where it was.

I was hoping that my insurance agents, Sanfilippo and sons insurance services, could help me through this process, but they, from my perspective, seem unwilling, unmotivated, and totally inept. When this process has been completed I will take policies on all three of my houses to another company and definitely to other insurance agents. I suspect I have 80 years of policy premiums through nationwide and through these agents, and I don't believe I ever made a claim.

After Nationwide told me my cars were not covered under my personal property, I asked them to send an email that contained my insurance policy. They told me that they could not email it and that they could put it in the mail and I would probably get it in 10 days to two weeks. That was not too helpful when I'm trying to make arrangements to have the tree taken out of my roof, to mitigate damages, and to get my home repaired. Since it was the neighbors tree, and since another tree had fallen from his yard previously, I believed he was negligent by not keeping a better eye on his giant tree that loomed over my house.

When I talked to his insurance company, Farmers, they were very helpful and pleasant and gave me lots of good information. The adjusters were kind, thoughtful, and actually seemed to care about doing the right thing. They gave me a check for each of my two cars that got beaten up when the tree fell. They had a list of lots of people who worked on cars in the area. They had their favorites who, they recommended, but they were very clear that we could go to anybody we wanted to do for the car repairs. They wrote a check and they said if they were for the repairs that were needed but that they overlooked and damages, they would make sure everything was taken care of properly. The checks were quite reasonable for the damage, and then they made sure that we had vehicles to drive while ours were being fixed. Farmers was awesome, caring, and treated us extremely well.

I am a General Manager of a roofing contractor in Denver Co and selected certain areas to locate homeowners who might have hailed damage property from some of the hail storms this year. If they are either unaware or were turned down by the insurance companies claiming not enough damage, that would be preposterous for these areas? I have seen enough physical evidence from the hail storms in 2016. The areas we have seen are literally catastrophic. NO claim in these areas should be declined? My complaint is with Nationwide who has denied approving a claim on 5 out of 6 structures that 4 of which has taken over a month to basically get an inspection done and that had to be done by an engineer hired by Nationwide.

There was another engineer present and he said the engineer from Nationwide didn't use conventional methods of examination which he thought was odd? The claim on the 4 bldg. property the findings were probably predetermined before they looked at the roof? The explanation seems to center around the exact storm date, but if I'm correct, don't remember seeing that part in the exclusions section? Besides I have enough evidence that hail compromised not only the structural integrity of the roofs but has caused severe damage on all the collateral items not mentioned but can be included in a deposition (Appraisal if necessary) along with a petition of perhaps a class action suit? Accusing Nationwide of fraud by denying claims that weren't really inspected or the Inspector was incentivized by a "not enough damage " result turned in occupied by 4 different tenants in each building.

The other location has repeated hailstorms this year of 1.75" up to 2.25" inch size hail. There are obvious holes that have penetrated and severely compromised the wood shake shingle and its ability to retard common weather conditions that would eventually cause internal leakage? The damage reported at the 4 unit 4plex has been inspected by myself, a notable HAAG certified inspector and a Public Adjuster certified by the State. Personally, I have been very disappointed in the handling of the claim. It has been one of the more unpleasant experiences dealing with any one company. I consider myself one of the best Inspectors in detecting hail damage and well versed of how your policy reads.

The only thing we're asking is that Nationwide do the right thing and take care of your policyholders in time of need! To have confidence that this company really does have their back. And will honor its policy coverage so the insured can feel good and recommend Nationwide as a company that does what they say. I have witnessed, documented and recorded routine tactics to try and deter, frustrate or give the insured the belief that they don't warrant a claim.

Over 90% of entire neighborhoods in parts of Co Spgs, and other heavily hit areas were impacted by these storms, a lot of the homeowners don't even know because their insurance company lied! I would be very curious to see how many of these claims were denied. Denver, Castle Rock, Highlands Ranch, Golden, Lakewood and many other cities and towns were affected also. If they continue to negate what should be corrected, I will advise my clients to do whatever it takes to expose this crime.

Nationwide is truly a wicked company. Their insurance adjusters are worthless people with no conscience. I don't want to write what happened but I can tell you this. It happened three years ago and I will never, ever fail to tell any prospect looking into this company to beware of the bad service they have provided me.

The underwriter would not disclose the reconstruction details, so the lending company wouldn't want it. When submit the cancellation through DocuSign (which has digital DocuSign envelope ID), 4 months later they would claim never received it or associated with the account, and insisted the cancellation is due to non-payment initially. Even sent the non-existing coverage to debt collection agency. That would be another branching headache to deal with.

It doesn't help that my settlement company mistakenly sent them the payment, so obviously it would take a bear to get that back. There will be many agents to deal with. It just appears not every call is logged or recorded as they claim. Until you get someone who is nice and responsive, things goes nowhere. Nobody seems to see the whole profile of you. I have not dealt with any commercial entity so disorientated. Again, very thankful to nice agents who at least response and take ownership. The rating does not reflect their personal efforts to do their best, it is the systematic process lacking as a whole company.

After experiencing premium increases renewal after renewal, my Nationwide agent convinced me to sign up for their "SmartRide" program to record my driving and to qualify after the program is completed up to 40% off my next premium renewal that would stay in place as long as I had the policy. For those who are not familiar with this program, you install a device in your auto that tracks your driving for several months and records any incidents that they would consider would make you a higher risk customer. You get a weekly report on how you are doing and what % of a discount you are eligible for on a week to week basis.

Once the program is completed, the final percent of discount is calculated on a cumulative of the several months you are in the program. The total discount applies to your next premium renewal. My agent informed me also, that he has never had or seen where anyone participating in the program ever received more than 30%, including himself. I qualified for a 26% discount after the program was completed. I completed the program 2 weeks before my insurance renewal came up. I received my renewal documents today and saw that my savings with my 26% discount was 1 cent.

I called Nationwide direct to have them correct what I was sure was an error in their system since the amount I was going to pay after my program completion with the 26% discount was the same as the previous 6 months with the exception of the new premium again was only 1 cent less. The Nationwide employee informed me that the new premium was correct because all of their customers had received an increase this renewal period. He could not tell me why or what the renewal increase was for, because he said the company would not tell them. He could only inform me that we had an increase that applied to their customer base nationwide.

So, what I have learned from the "SmartRide" program, is that whatever percent discount you qualify for, that is what your premium will be increased too for the next renewal period. Example: I qualified for a 26% discount for my responsible driving, therefore my premium was increased 26%. The "SmartRide" program is a "ruse", and Nationwide had no intention of extending any discount for participating in the program. I was reluctant in participating in the program when it was first introduced because I felt like it was an invasion of my privacy. I turned down my Agent's recommendation to participate many times before due to that. But, when my premiums kept rising each renewal period, I decided to participate knowing I was a responsible driver and the discount would be very helpful in me trying to maintain my monthly budget.

I do not like dealing with dishonest and or intentionally misleading companies, so I am cancelling my auto and homeowners policy with Nationwide and will be relaying my experience with many others so they avoid dealing with or experiencing the same very frustrating experience I have dealt with. If you are considering participating in this program, don't waste your time or allow an invasion of your privacy for nothing! Soon to be ex-Nationwide customer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Insurance?

I have a list of damages that is over $50K dollars in damage with my home and business. Nationwide wants to give me $1K (over phone talking with ED). I have been with them for 40 years. I am a widow. Just went through Hurricane Mathew and we are in a emergency zone. I called my local agent at Beach Nationwide in Savannah - Matt. He didn't even respond. We are in desperate need of power, tv and internet. I lost 6 trees that fell on my deck, fence, roof, porch, etc. My pharmacy lost closed 10's of thousands. I have been in tears for over a week. We lost our refrigerator and freezer. Downstairs flooded. Windows broke. We are devastated. What do I have insurance for if they are not concerned about their customers.

On July 4, 2012, a hail storm impacted the Murrysville PA area with 1 inch hail. This storm took its toll on a large number of roofs including ours. At the time, we had Nationwide Insurance and filed a claim for the damage. The Nationwide Agent, Alan **, appeared and told us they would never pay for our claim after glancing at our roof from our front yard. They did deny our claim and we filed an appeal. Nationwide sent a roof engineer to investigate our claim and he did find hail damage however Nationwide again refused to honor our policy. We filed suit however since we did so beyond the 1 year statute of limitations within our policy, we will lose our case.

The moral here is Nationwide Insurance does not honor its homeowner policies and will hide behind its 1 year statute of limitations language. This language states you must sue Nationwide within 1 year of when you notified Nationwide of a claim. We failed to do this as we felt Nationwide was going to honor our policy however we now know they never intended to do so. I suggest you avoid Nationwide for any insurance needs as they will not honor their policies.

I have had Nationwide since 2000 when we purchased our first home. They were recommended when we signed our mortgage. We started off paying $330.00 a year for very reasonable insurance. This quickly went up to over $800.00 yearly for the exact same coverage without our knowledge. It is now 16 years later, our payment always went into escrow so we never knew about the changes until this year. When I called to cancel with Nationwide they offered us pretty close to the rate we gave them back in 2000. Why now? Why take advantage of us for 16 years and not value us as a customer?

They are the most dishonest company I have ever known. When I complained to the BBB they claimed they did not have my phone number for 16 years, though they had no trouble contacting me a few weeks ago with a better rate. By the way, we have had the same number for 16 years, with the same answering machine, with the same message! This is a horrible, horrible insurance company. If you have them, I strongly encourage you to shop around for someone else immediately. If you are considering them, DO NOT!

Nationwide sold me a bill of goods when my agent proposed I consider using their commercial policy for protecting my condo in the event there is interior damage to the condo. 3 years into the policy a pipe burst in between the wall facing the hallway and my utility closet. Nationwide stated that because the water originated from the external side vs. internal / interior wall to the condo the policy does not cover this event. The building / HOA maintains a policy for such circumstances, however there is often a huge deductible associated, which oftentimes is a shared expense to the homeowner(s) should a claim is reported. In my case the total deductible came to $5000 (out of pocket) shared between the owner below my condo unit and me.

Living in the condo 8 years feeling reasonably protected - now I realize I have major exposure leading to massive $$$ out of pocket expenses to situations well outside of my control... Nationwide claims there's no insurance company in the USA providing gap coverage for circumstances of this type. Wondering if am the only one feeling this way, and if there's any solution out there for reducing this risk, other than selling the condo. Thanks in advance!

Horrible company to deal with. I was unfortunate enough to have a major mitigation company to deal with a water leak from above the ceiling. They did a south of the border job of mitigating the damage. I had Nationwide rep inspect the site and then had 2 of their "preferred contractors" bid the job. My own contractor wouldn't touch it because of previous problems with Nationwide. The bids were ridiculously low. They failed to acknowledge major amounts of work required. I called the Nationwide rep back out to point out the deficiencies. She merely stated that any additional work would be dealt with on a case by case basis. NEVER ALLOW THIS. Get an accurate baseline bid first.

I then brought in another contractor who used an independent insurance appraiser to establish an accurate baseline bid. Nationwide then brought in their other mitigation company to verify my contractor's claim. At this point I am 60 days into the claim and not a bit of construction work has started. Nor was I compensated for out of house expenses because I had another home 52 miles away I was using. The actual damage estimate from my contractor was 3 times their estimate. The most ludicrous statement Nationwide made was that thousands of gallons of water pouring from the ceiling and down the walls did no damage inside the walls and the sheet rock did not need to be removed and the tile would be fine. Only then did I advise them that I had a degree in Architecture and 30 years in the construction business.

All I got after that was lowball replacement costs, delays in communication and damage denials. I had full replacement coverage and Nationwide was aware of custom tile and granite work. It took 5 months for Nationwide to pay for the additional mitigation and to issue a check for the final damages. This project should never have taken more than 2 months. I am aware that this is a consistent approach with most insurance companies in this modern age, but this is my experience with Nationwide.

I had nationwide policy for my auto (4cars), home and 2 commercials for past 10 years paying over $5K/year. There was huge hail damage in my neighborhood. All my neighbor's insurance (not nationwide) have covered and repaired all their damages (roof, siding, gutter) but nationwide rejected almost every damages at my property. Contractors & I provided pictures of hail damages from roof and outdoor AC but based nationwide experts, all damages have been rejected. They ask me to get HVAC contractor to indicate the location of AC leak and if it is due by hail damage. AC contractor has charged me over $200 and indicate the location where it was leaking (from hail damage). I then submitted the report to Nationwide and they still rejected the claim without paying me back for the report. Just wanted to share my experience with Media. Hope this helps your decision.

I was recently notified of a $100 a year rate increase on my Homeowners policy by Nationwide. The reason was something on my credit report. I have a 770 credit score and have been a Nationwide customer for 25 years. I wonder how many others are overcharged this way and don't notice it because it is handled through escrow. I got a better policy for less money through another company. Nationwide is not on your side. I wish that I could spend millions on lobbying.

My 83 year old mother has been insured by Nationwide since the 60s. She returned home from rehab to find a damaged floor from water leak. She called Nationwide and they sent a crew to dry the area. This was followed by a contractor who tore the flooring up. It was at this point that an adjuster came out and ordered the work to stop, stating Nationwide would not cover the claim. The adjuster should have assessed the situation prior to any authorized work. My mother did not approve or ask for her floor to be removed. Now she has ambulatory problems and a damaged kitchen floor, unable to fully use her kitchen.

Sandy -- we got hit. We live on the south/western part of Long Island. They came promptly but denied a good portion of the claim and specifically the back up portion of the policy. They paid part of the relocation and blamed the power down on the flood and not on the wind. They managed to twist and bend the facts in order not to make payments. I need information from whoever can help identify whether or not they paid for back up insurance. In addition, after an accident by car did you experience an unusual increase in premium?

Nationwide Insurance/Duffy Plumbing and Heating, Brian and Erika Duffy, Honesdale PA 18431. Duffy Plumbing and Heating was recommended by our General Contractor on a project known as the Anchor Building Project, the revitalization of Downtown Honesdale by the development of a Data Center to bring Business Class Broadband to Wayne County PA. He was first contracted to install the plumbing system in the building. He put the system in but did not put the clean out traps in properly. He then demanded full payment for unfinished job. We had to get another plumber to finish the job.

Duffy Plumbing and Heating was then to install 9 heat pump units in the building including all duct work. We agreed on $600 dollars per day for the 3 people that worked on the plumbing. He had 7 on the 9 units installed in 5 weeks but then realized he was working too fast. He then had one guy on the job. I told Brian Duffy several times that I was not going to pay him to have one guy spend half his day climbing a ladder to get materials into roof. The company, Smith & Morris Holdings, LLC. had a running total of the people and hours on the job. Duffy Plumbing Heating then started to present invoices for $600 per day regardless of the number of people on site. I told Brian Duffy that I would not pay him for the invoices as written and only for the hours ($75.00 per) per person that was on site doing work. He dismissed my demand and I fired the company.

We learned after Duffy Plumbing and Heating was fired that 6 of the 9 units were hooked up incorrectly. This was very dangerous as the 220v power was also hooked up wrong. (The power was hooked up according to the engineering plans but the units themselves were not in the right place.) We have to have the plans changed; the electric changed and rewire the thermostats as moving the units were not an option. Duffy Plumbing and Heating took us to court. The Judge was a fellow plumber of Duffy Plumbing and Heating. Does that tell you how it went down? After we appealed the decision, Erika Duffy decided to write Honesdale about this. Honesdale was part of the State of Pennsylvania DCED grant program to put Broadband into Wayne County. As part of that we were also going to put in green wind power to offset the power consumed by the project.

While I do believe that Brian Duffy lied to his wife (benefit of the doubt) about what really happened, it was a clear attempt to destroy the project and the millions of dollars invested by my investors and partners. In August they then did a full front page story in the local newspaper. Once again it was full of lies. Finally, we just paid him off to get rid of him and filed suit for Slander and Libel. His actions triggered off a catastrophic failure of the project with the Borough of Honesdale that ended up with the Pennsylvania Inspector General investigating what happened. Millions of investment dollars were lost including taxpayer dollars. As it turns out Duffy Plumbing and Heating has insurance that would cover what they did with Nationwide Insurance.

This catastrophic failure would eventually force me and my partner to declare bankruptcy. It could have been avoided but Nationwide refused to settle even when the amount was under $100,000.00. Now the damages have exceeded $7 million dollars including real estate (business and home), lost contracts and much more. All Nationwide has tried to do is delay this for three years and at one point they got a court order to do depositions and never showed up or rescheduled. That attorney's name was John ** of Snyder and Associates in Plains PA.

The matter has destroyed the life of my 5 children that my wife and I could not even pay for the wedding of our daughter. To Nationwide and their attorney thought it was all a big joke that we told them all off of this - he just laughed. He told me that I lost sight in my left eye was not their problem as I could not afford the deductible. When my partner and I started this we only wanted to create jobs and a good life for people. I had my house paid off and money in the bank and a steady income. I am 57 now and I have nothing and no prospect to any job other than a greeter at Wal-Mart.

The business practices and moral and ethics of Nationwide Insurance and Duffy Plumbing and Heating are what are wrong with America in a corporate example. They are in my opinion dishonest and dangerous to those who they service. If you have Nationwide Insurance I have started the hashtag #BoycottNationwide on Twitter. Use it, tell your story. It is time that only moral and ethical companies in America still do business.

I've been a loyal customer for many years and have almost everything under Nationwide. I've been faithfully paying my premiums and have never had a claim. In November of 2015, I had water in our finished basement due to a leaking refrigerator hose. The claims process is horrific. They first tried to bully me into thinking the damage came from ground water. The inspector they used was lazy, the remediation company they used was lazy and all Nationwide cares about is themselves and how much money they save. If you have a choice, change insurance companies asap. It was the worst customer service experience I've ever had.

Do not get insurance from Nationwide!! I recently had my roof damaged from hail, they gave me so little money I feel like I have to get a fly by the night roofing company that will not be there tomorrow... I had hail damage 7 years ago and was insured from AAA. They were great! They got my roof and a/c fixed with no headache at all... Nationwide has been the exact opposite!!!

I have been a loyal Nationwide customer for over 20 years both home and auto, premiums paid every month as required. Never really had any problems with them until March 2013, I had a house fire and my home was a total loss, the first realization that there was going to be a problem was the adjuster said "Why are you insured for such a low amount?" I told him I answered a bunch of questions the agent asked and even questioned the amount but he (the agent) stated "Don't worry you have replacement coverage," well the reality is, replacement coverage is basically a small portion of the policy limit 20% to cover what they call replacement coverage, the real problem is when an adjuster lowers the value of a home by manipulating the square footage just to obtain a lower rate. When there is a loss it creates a huge problem.

In my case my home was insured for 230k and should have been insured for 390k, Nationwide paid the 230k plus 20% and told me to "PH" off basically. When I rebuilt the home Nationwide reappraised it, now just to be clear, the house was built on the original foundation of the burnt home, same square footage, yes I moved some rooms around but not major add on's or changes. Nationwide now states the home is valued at $690k (yes triple), I have gone round and round with them but they refuse to make any adjustments, they claim that is what the rebuild cost would be (even though I just rebuilt the home for around half.

Fast forward to August 2015, I was finally able to get another company to write a policy for me, so I call Nationwide and request to cancel, I was told by law I have to provide proof of other coverage before they could cancel it, I requested to know what "law" was being referred to, the rep stated that mortgage companies require homeowners insurance, I asked is this the law she was referring to and she said she wasn't sure, I told her IF I had a mortgage and that lender required insurance that would be between me and that company not Nationwide, but being I did not have a mortgage I could do whatever I wanted, she said she would discuss it with her supervisor and call me back, never got that call.

In September of 15 I sent in an email and advised them to cancel the policy, I got an almost immediate response stating that I would have to send in a signed form letter to cancel, bottom line Nationwide never cancelled the policy until the monies I had paid ran out. In the interim I had a toilet overflow and ruin some hardwoods, I honestly thought I had cancelled the policy and just chalked it up to bad timing that is until I received a collection notice stating the policy was in effect until 10/2/15. I filed the claim and the first question was "Why did you wait so long?" "Because you idiots didn't cancel the as I had requested and now you're going to have to pay." Currently the adjuster is avoiding me and telling me she has to do further investigation, she said it happened in September so why be in a hurry now.

Had damaged electrical service after a tree came down in a storm... My claim was promptly and fully compensated by Nationwide. I have been covered by this company for 40+ years... For both auto and home and have declined offers from competitors. The local Nationwide office in my county has always been quite helpful with numerous non-claim issues.

My boyfriend had a fire in his garage. He contacted the insurance company while the fire fighters were here on July 1st. His garage still is not finished. As of 5 months later the garage still has the smell of the fire. A cleaning company called Proclean came in and cleaned the whole house since smoke went through the house as well. The house did not have water for a month and 4 days, but the cleaning company still came in and clean with no water in house. They brought water bottles to clean. The cleaning was not done very good. His house is about 3,000 sq ft and they spent 3 days cleaning from 10am - 3pm. Instead of using companies in our area they used companies that had to drive 2 and half hours away to come here.

He has been with Nationwide for over 25 years and they are the slowest company to use if you think you're going to get paid for anything. Guess what? It took them 2 months to send the new insurance bill stating, “Your homeowner’s insurance has went up due to the fire.” This insurance company does not give much information to their clients on what they should do since they have never had a claim before they don't want you to know much. He has had to pay a guy to cut the grass every week because the insurance said they will not give money for us to buy a new lawnmower yet and was informed since our lawnmower was a commercial one that cost of 7,800 we would be lucky if we even get 2,000 for something that is 2 years old.

All I can say is be careful and always hire a lawyer to help. He has learned from experience. If there is ever a next time a lawyer will be involved. As of today still waiting to be paid. The insurance company loves to state, “We are short handed on help and due to the holidays people have to take vacation.” Every time we call we are told, “The claim is sitting on my boss’ desk, waiting for it be approved.” Not happy!!!

I would recommend this family of agents to any and all peoples. We have been with them for 35-40 years and knew the parents who started the agency. We have found them all to be honest, reliable and truthful. We bundled our house and cars together with them. We've only had very few claims over the years and they have been handled quickly.

This company is one of the best out there. Very affordable and they really come through for you. They called me to make sure I was alright and if they could do anything for me. Told me to call if I just wanted to talk. What company does that in this age and time?

It's a good homeowner insurance, I highly recommend them. They cover almost everything. They answer any questions you have. I pay a reasonable amount every three months. The only problem I have with homeowner insurance is they recently went up. I will be addressing this issue with them. Other than that, everything is ok.

Nationwide insurance company has a good reputation of providing good feedback to me as a customer of what I want in my home coverage. Every year I see the information. If I have any questions they provide the answers pretty fast not having me wonder if they know what they talking about.

Fire, very minor and was only offered $35 for our sofa which was damaged beyond repair.. Wish the agent had explained replacement costs to me further vs the cost of a new couch. I did not want to rip them off but a $35 one? I guess I should throw out a sofa every couple of years regardless of its condition and usability.

I have been a customer with Nationwide for twenty years. I've only used it twice. When my neighbor's tree fell on my house, their insurance handled it. After months of have a hole in my roof and not being happy, I made a call to my agent. He was at my home the next morning. Went back on the roof and found damage they had not included. After his inspection, a check was written to me and a new contractor number.

I have homeowners and auto insurance with Nationwide for which I receive a nice discount. It has been a great experience with Nationwide and would never go with another insurance company. Any claims I have made with them it was taken care of very quick and very fair. I have an agent who only works for Nationwide and does it all with one phone call. Any changes I want to make or questions I have it's down with no problems. I pay my premium on their website which is very easy to do and of course I can call my agent to fix a problem I have on the Web. They have been one great company to deal with!!!

We have had a great experience. Claims have been handled in a timely and hassle free manner. No complaints here! Our experience with Nationwide has been easy and positive. We are kept informed about our policy and everything else seems to take care of itself. When we did have claims they made the process as easy and painless as possible and got everything taken care of.

Nationwide has been great to work with. Very knowledgeable and helpful when it came to setting up the policy. I was unsure of how much coverage I should have and we sat down and went over all aspect of home ownership and what coverage and amount was best for us. They are also very friendly and courteous and respectful. I never once felt like I was dumb or ignorant to insurance, they helped me feel comfortable all the way. I would recommend Nationwide to anyone, but be specific about your needs and don't be afraid to ask questions, for they have the answers.

I like dealing with Nationwide because they put the customer first. Whenever I call them about a claim they always resolve the problem that I am dealing with. No matter what I have an issue with, Nationwide seems like they have all the answers. This company is one of the best brands for any type of insurance. They say what they mean and give you an accurate solution to your problem.

Expert Review

Matthew BrodskyInsurance Contributing Editor

Matthew Brodsky is an established expert on insurance, having written hundreds of articles and other pieces of content on the subject, interviewed countless practitioners, and attended dozens of conferences and events. He served as an editor at industry magazine Risk & Insurance for six years.    More about Matthew→

Nationwide was first founded in 1925 in Columbus, Ohio. Originally, it had 1,000 policyholders. Today, it’s one of the country’s largest insurance companies, and it offers several types of insurance, including homeowners insurance and auto insurance.

• Great discounts: Nationwide offers excellent discounts for homeowners, including up to 20 percent discount for insurance if customers bundle their homeowners and car insurance.
  • Belongings replacement service: Nationwide offers the Brand New Belongings service, which replaces belongings that are lost or damaged when a home undergoes an accident or damage. For example, this program will replace items that are burned in fires, broken by falling trees or damaged by severe weather like tornadoes.
  • Processing speed: Nationwide is known for processing customer claims fast, which means that customers who submit a homeowners insurance claim can expect their claim to be evaluated and their money given to the them quicker than most insurance companies.
  • Company: Nationwide is a large company, so customers may feel that they do not get much individualized or personal customer service attention. Most consumers must deal with a central customer service center, which is likely not in the location a customer is calling from, although Nationwide has a network of agents around the country.
  • Qualifications: Nationwide has stringent qualification standards that have to be met to approve people for policies, and people with financial troubles or weak credit may not qualify for Nationwide homeowners insurance.
  • Best for Traditional homeowners, condo owners, farm owners