1.79/5
Based on 160 reviews that contain star ratings

Nationwide - Homeowners

Nationwide Insurance provides home and auto insurance for clients across the country. Nationwide is not an InsuraMatch verified carrier. Contact InsuraMatch to receive multiple quotes from insurance companies to find the right carrier for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

206 Nationwide - Homeowners Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Jimmy ** is the worst insurance agent ever. He is non-responsive and not capable of writing a policy correctly. Worst of all, when it becomes clear he has made a major mistake, he not only doesn't fix the problem he denies he made the mistakes. Run fast from Jimmy ** and Nationwide Insurance.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I have a bundle policy with Nationwide Insurance, Car Insurance and House Insurance. I had to file a claim on the house insurance for damage to my roof on September 9 2018. We had a hurricane come through our area and it rain for 3 days and dropped about 8 inches of rain during that time. I noticed two spots on my roof that were not there before the storm came through. These spots were dips in the roof and you could tell the paneling under the shingles had been damaged by water from the rain. I went up on the roof myself to inspect these areas and could tell that the wood had been damaged. I called Nationwide and filed a claim. Because of some many claims from the storm Nationwide had to send out a contracted adjustor to inspect the roof. When the adjustor showed up he did the usual things adjustor do. He took pictures of the roof and ceiling inside the house and took measurements.

The pictures of the roof did not show the damage that was there and you could not tell anything was really wrong with the roof itself. To make a long story short the insurance company would not pay for any damage to the roof. They said that because under their policy of wind damage that there must be loose or missing shingles on the roof for any damage to be considered and since according to them there weren't any then we would not be getting any money for the roof. You can clearly see the damage from the street on the roof itself. The contracted adjustor did a terrible job of taking pictures of the roof and you could not even see the damage the storm did in the pictures.

The story for the ceiling damage was not any better. I got an estimate of $720 damage to the ceilings. Well it just so happens I have a $1000 deductible on my homeowners' policy for the inside of the house so I got screwed on that end too. They won't pay out a dam dime for that either since they made sure to estimate the damage under a $1000 to keep from paying out any money. If you read this complaint please beware. Don't buy homeowners insurance from Nationwide that are a bunch of **. I have had insurance with them for 35 years and this is how they treat us. The claims agent tried to tell me that the damage to my roof was probably just wear on the roof from years of wear and tear which is **.

I just filed a complaint with the North Carolina Insurance Commission but it probably won't do any good. I was talking to the man who was the contracted inspector who looked at the roof. He told me personally that Nationwide Insurance was really cracking down on the claims that were being filed by the adjustors and finding any excuse possible to reject the claims to save the company money. If this does not sound like cheating the policy holder I don't know what does. By reading this I hope you don't get ** by these **.

Get expert buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I lost many of my possessions in a storage unit, because Nationwide refused to pay the storage unit fees after they agreed to pay the fees! Unbelievable! Nationwide is a disgusting and deceitful company! My advice is to stay far away from Nationwide! For anyone considering Nationwide as their insurance provider, just look into Nationwide's bad faith, and how the company was hit with $18 million in punitive damages in 2014, and realize just how deceitful Nationwide is!

Original review: July 2, 2018

My 87 year old mother who has Alzheimer's Disease has had Nationwide Insurance for over 50 years. We filed our first claim 3 weeks ago due to a leaking hot water heater that damaged the floor. It took over a week for anyone to contact us. Lots more details but the bottom line is they denied the claim saying it was our fault. They said We should have noticed the leak. We knew they wouldn't replace the hot water heater but why not the floor? Terrible customer service. Nationwide is not on your side!!!

Original review: June 28, 2018

We have been with Nationwide and never made a claim until 2 months ago. They had a company come out to put dryers out and rip up part of the carpet and padding and cut through the drywall so that I could pay for my plumber to fix the bursted pipe in basement. After that... nothing. I emailed the adjuster, I don't know how many times, to get a response "do you have any questions?". He never answers any of my questions. It's like he ignores everything. I know he is getting to my emails because he's responding to my emails. They are trying to pay the bare minimum.

The drywall is not up, the smell is horrid, they busted a cabinet trying to remove it from beneath the bar sink and stopped because it would bust the granite counter top. The adjuster says "I will pay for the throw rug and shop vac" like it's coming out of his pocket. This is insurance, not a 401k plan. I've already paid for all of this with my premiums. I had to get the adjuster's supervisor's email to let her know about my experience. After this is done, I'm taking my business elsewhere. The auto insurance through Nationwide is great. However, I will be switching due to my horrible experience with the homeowners insurance. "Nationwide is on your side"??? Really? Beware folks... no one wants to be put through this.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Insurance?

Original review: June 14, 2018

I have had Nationwide insurance for over 25 yrs. I had a fire in September 2017. I have been in a hotel for about 10 months for them to settle. They have tried to make feel like criminal. The adjuster is terrible. He doesn't call you back. He doesn't tell you anything. They are very rude people and I did everything they have asked me to do. They were throwing so much crap at me I had to get a lawyer. The agent told me a month ago that my claim would be paid off but they not sent my lawyer anything. This is a terrible company and they are always going up on my premium every year. I understand how it is legal to do a consumer like this. I am very disappointed in this company.

Original review: June 5, 2018

Fire destroyed home. Home took a year to rebuild with lots of lack of communication between Nationwide and Contractor, resulting with poor workmanship causing 3 return trips to correct problems and still existing. Personal contents was the worst in paying out. Had $200,000 personal contents ins, did my due diligence in providing proof of loss; depreciated items close to 40%, received half the amt claimed on contents. Nationwide puts up a facade that they are on your side, when in fact they are on their side. 3 rate increases in a 2 yr period because of fire.

Original review: June 2, 2018

The cost is outrageous, feel as though I am renting my own house. Tiffany cost for copper coverage. I have yet to use the "coverage" as the two issues I had were not covered!

Original review: May 31, 2018

I had accident that totaled my car and they helped immediately with the process of filing my claim and guiding me through the process. They were nice, very caring and professional. They made a not so nice incident, painless and they made feel at ease that everything would be taken care of.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Appears to be overpriced... premiums seem excessive for coverage bought. No real price incentives associated with insuring both home and auto. Using auto-pay feature is convenient but no reduction in premiums accrue.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I had all of my assets (car, boat, M/C, & home) insured through Nationwide. My home for 32 years. I had a roofing company (Joe Shearin - Shearin Construction) replace my roof (that wasn't leaking - just old) and they left the shingles off overnight and it rained into my home. Nationwide paid to replace the roof but fought me "tooth and nail" on paying adequately to cover the damages from the water coming into my home. They sent out an adjuster several times who refused to acknowledge the obvious damage, had a forensic engineer come out and he claimed that the damage was due to humidity and cats rather than the obvious of rain pouring down my walls and damaging the insulation in my attic and drywall on my ceilings.

Nationwide got approximately 26,000 dollars from me over the years and would not give me more than $1,600 for damages from water, even though repairs were estimated from 4,000 to 7,500. They are thieves and what they do by taking consumers money and not paying fairly on claims is white collar crime. I have since changed over all of my insurance and have saved approximately $300 on premiums. Consumers beware! Don't let insurance companies take your hard earned money and leave you stuck with the hardship when you need to get some of the money back that you paid into them for "insurance". Insurance? Really? Or is it consumers' money for their investments?

Original review: April 3, 2018

I have paid ins. on my house for over 20 years, it was broken into while I was gone over the holidays and now I feel like I am the criminal. They want me to sign an authorization form. I am an older adult and I have had 2 different adjusters come into my house to see what happened. Also this was reported to the police and I am waiting for the report, but I am the one that was wronged here. Do I need to get an attorney to get this settled. I think I have done everything that they have asked me to do. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Original review: March 23, 2018

Very poor customer service. Was with this company for over 30 years. Never filed a claim. They hiked my premiums every year and tried to tell me I was getting a discount. Went with another company and paid much less. Don't be fooled people.

Original review: March 21, 2018

Nationwide purchased our old company a couple of years ago. We had a whale of a hail storm shortly thereafter. They paid the entire amount minus my deductible and was very prompt on service. They even paid for the 50 year shingles on the roof, new gutters, and siding and a couple of screens and a storm window. No hassles at all. I am happy thus far with them, and have our auto insurance with them.

Original review: March 21, 2018

Magnum Appliances did a horrible installation of a fridge to my neighbor's unit, resulting in massive leaks and water damage in several units in my bldg, including mine. My kitchen floor and living room/dining room areas have received water damage. First Magnum sent their own rep to survey the damage approx 1 1/2 months after the damage. Then I was told to get in touch with Mark from Nationwide who is the surveyor who took months to respond and finally survey.

I received a written quote by Home Depot to repair damages to the kitchen floor and living room / dining room areas as a result to the water damage. Keep in mind this damage is from 11/16. It is now 3/21/18 and Nationwide offered a fraction of what it costs and wants me to sign a release of liability letter - which they are out of their mind - unless Magnum Appliances is willing to cough up the remaining balance. Unfortunately that has not been the case. I have left negative reviews for each and every Nationwide Insurance Agency from Sea to Shining Sea, and they still think I am bluffing. These unprofessional and unethical clowns need to go out of business. Save your money and have insurance with a reputable company and not these clowns.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

My wife and I HAD a bundle with Nationwide which included - Home - Auto (x2) - and Pet ALL FULL coverage. We set up AUTOPAY on all three. Home is bundled with our Mortgage and property taxes and auto/pet on a debit card. We had to replace the debit card and grabbed a statement to get a customer service phone number which happened to be for Pet insurance and reset AUTOPAY on the new card. About 4 months past and we received a demand notice from a collection company on behalf of NATIONWIDE, wait, what?

We sent an email to OUR SALES REP. It came back. Turns out he is no longer with the company. The unpaid bill was for AUTO INS JUST BEFORE IT WAS CANCELLED months back because we had failed to change the AUTOPAY for THAT DEPARTMENT which is separate from THE PET ins. and now that it had lapsed THEY WILL NO LONGER INSURE OUR CARS so for months NATIONWIDE left us hanging out then kicked us to the curb. Go with a company that has your back and cares about its customers and THAT IS NOT NATIONWIDE. They just want your money. NATIONWIDE IS RIGHT. THEY WILL NEVER GET MY MONEY EVER AGAIN!

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

I can certainly state that their cute little song, "Nationwide is on your side", was far from true for me! Went with them in Sept. 2017 for home and auto. Had a terrible time with them for homeowner ins. Underwriter wanted repairs done within 27 days, tried contacting her to discuss this and she did not return call or email, then I was sent a notice that I was being dropped almost within the same week of getting notice for repairs!

They also said policy was not sent to them from me via email signature and therefore my premium was placed on full tort costing me an addition $115.00. I dropped them for auto because of the way I was treated for homeowners and customer service help. Had to call them to see how my refund for both auto and home were being refunded. They reported my cancellation to PennDOT, now I have to prove I had coverage with another insurance company. Never will I use this co. I have never experienced anything like this with any other insurance company!!!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2017

Nationwide was easy to deal with when they were merely collecting premiums from us for 26 years. We were loyal, never shopped our policy once. But when we experienced a major loss due to storm damage, Nationwide was very clearly NOT ON OUR SIDE. Their claims process is utterly unbearable. We have always liked our agent and dealing with Nationwide, but this process has left us heartbroken and disappointed.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

On 7-24-2017 at 1:25 AM a tornado hit our community in Stevensville MD. Our home sustained heavy damage from multiple trees falling on our home. After settling ourselves from the horror and shock of this tornado hit we began a long process of recovery. At first the insurance company was good. They arrived quickly, gave us money to house ourselves in a hotel and to purchase the essentials. The adjuster stated that we probably had $30,000 to $40,000 in damage and would be 8 to 12 weeks before we could be back in our house. A rental home was arranged where we live now - 3 months to the day later.

As it turns out the damage was far heavier than the adjuster stated. In fact the adjuster disallowed multiple issues from the appraisal that the recovery construction company included in their report. Even with those removals the insurance company has already sent nearly $100,000.00 but nothing has begun because of the removed items. I have now hired an independent appraiser and have invoked my right to settle the claim by appraisal - and they denied my "request". Note that this was not a request - it was a demand as is my right under the contract with Nationwide. In the end they will lose but for now they're happy trying to frustrate us into submission with veiled threats to discontinue our housing payment in the rental property.

Know that the adjuster from Nationwide has lied to my face, misrepresented the facts, changed his story multiple times, and now is snide with his responses. He presented himself as a "Christian" who goes to church - so typical that when someone wears their faith on their sleeve beware. I can prove everything I am saying here. NEVER allow anyone in your property once it has been damaged from a major storm, IMMEDIATELY contact a Independent Competent Adjuster and let them handle everything. The insurers hate them because they're on YOUR side. The insurance companies have only one goal - screw you out of as much as possible.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

Three months ago, the crawl space (basement) of our NEW home (purchased 7/2/2017) was flooded by a broken water pipe in our crawl space. We notified the plumber who installed ALL of our plumbing. The plumber in turn notified his contractor's insurance company, Nationwide Insurance. The plumber's insurance company, came to our home some two days later to investigate (examine) the flooding damage to our home: ALL of the insulation in the floor (crawl space) was destroyed and had to be removed.

The flooding of the crawl space had to be dried out. The INSULATION required to be REINSTALLED in our crawl space has NOT been replaced, after a three months period. We have submitted an insurance CLAIM to our insurance carrier, USAA, who are currently working on our claim. Our insurance company, USAA, has contacted the general contractor who has submitted ALL of the required information to our insurance carrier (company), USAA. We are currently in the process of having our insurance company take action in this matter. Including submitted a claim against the Plumber's Insurance Carrier, NATIONWIDE Insurance Company.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

After a recent hail storm, an adjuster came to the house and told me to use "scrap" siding from the front of the home on my other damaged side. They told me "cushions come with" outdoor furniture so they would not cover that either. Every step of the way working with them has been a BIG hassle. Another adjuster came because I complained, she noted more damage, and then promptly quit the company without writing anything in my case file. A third adjuster came out and was so hostile it was unbelievable. You cannot get anywhere with this company when there is damage - their playbook is to pay as little as possible to their customers and provide less than zero customer service.

Meanwhile, all my neighbors are getting their entire houses and property covered - even where there wasn't hail damage. Hmmm - these others sure know how to treat their insurers who have been through a traumatic event! I am going to insure with them and if you are smart you will not bother with this company for one second.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

We have had Homeowners insurance with a company called Allied for over 30 years including through three separate forest fires in Colorado. In that time we've had no claims and always paid on time. At some point last year, Nationwide took over Allied. Apparently someone drove by our house and took pictures of our house and surrounding area. Within the year Nationwide canceled our house insurance based on their claim that we have trees 100 feet from our house. 100 feet! It is impossible to not have a tree 100 feet from your house in most parts of Colorado. There were no options to rectify the situation or any suggestions for mitigation; we were just dropped like a hot potato. We had one month to find a new company.

Fortunately we bundled with our car insurance company and we are more than happy with our insurance which ends up saving us money. But the customer service, the communication with Nationwide was extremely poor. No one cared. Plus, their reason for canceling was not listed in their policy. I recommend staying far away from them. On your side? The jingle is meaningless.

Original review: June 22, 2017

I had a termite bond on a house that I purchased. The bond stated that there was no previous or current termite damage. Nationwide insures these companies for things such as this. My purchase depended on this report clearing the house of such damage. When we got in there, we discovered that the house was completely termite eaten from top-to-bottom. We had to replace the whole structure from the rat sills, floor joists, wood flooring, wall studs, top plates, and part of the roof and spent over $65,000.

Senior Claim Rep Jessica ** handled the claim. After dragging her feet for a couple of months, after I provided her with a very detailed report w/ pictures, and after termite company dodging them insurance adjuster for weeks until he was told firmly that he had to meet with him and provide a report, Jessica called me today and was extremely rude, telling me that due to exclusions in the contract and the "facts" that they will not cover the damage. I asked her what the 'facts' and exclusions were and she stated that she did not have to tell me. I have the same contract and there are no exclusions. As a matter of fact, the termite company was going to pay the damages themselves rather than turn it in to their insurance company because he didn't want to risk his insurance being raised.

However, when he came and saw the obvious damage - that could be seen with the naked eye - and realized it was a complete rebuild and way more expensive than he had hoped, he decided to submit the claim. The insurance inspector, when asked what the worse termite damage he ever saw was, he laughed and said, "Uh! Not even nearly as bad as this!" He said, "Hands down! This is the worst I've ever seen!" The termite company (Lightening Pest Control in Mobile, Alabama) owner told me that he was just doing a friend from the real estate company a favor. As it turns out, the termite people never called the sellers, the realtors, or myself to notify them they would be doing and inspection or be let in and they stated that they did a treatment that they never did.

This is now going into a lawsuit! Nationwide should not be providing insurance if they are not going to pay out on it. Jessica was very nice through the whole process until she called to decline it and then was very rude. DO NOT INSURE WITH THIS COMPANY!!! THEY ARE NOTHING BUT A SCAM TAKING MONEY AND NOT PAYING OUT! I lost my whole life savings because of them - and now have a house sitting dead in the water! NATIONWIDE IS NOT ON YOUR SIDE! They are only out for themselves. Their team gets bonuses for not paying out!

Original review: May 25, 2017

This company has lost its mojo! I have been with Nationwide for 15 years. Let's talk about the homeowners policy first. I lived in California and my house there was insured by Nationwide. Then I moved to Oregon and bought a house with husband. Nationwide said I had to insure our house in Oregon with them because it was my primary residence, REALLY! Ok now let's get to the car policy. Keep in mind I've been with Nationwide for 15 years, no accidents or any claims but every 6 months my premium keeps going up. The liability limit is low, dear Lord what if I got $500,000.00. I wouldn't be able to pay the premium. I didn't even call them to get an explanation for the rate increase, I just dropped them! And sent them a letter telling them to put their policy where, well you know!!! I've now got excellent coverage with a lower premium with, DRUM ROLL PLEASE - GEICO!!! Woohoo. People Drop Nationwide and Hit Them In The Pocketbook!!!

Original review: May 1, 2017

So beyond angry, I don't even know where to begin. We buy a house, call up Nationwide and get a quote. Quote sounds good so we go with them. In the meantime, HUGE mistake! They decide to come by our house one day while we're at work (that's what most people do, work) and decide they want to say that we're not living there. #1 who in the world are you to say we're not living there? We moved in the day we signed papers, the lazy person obviously just seen no car in driveway and deemed it that we didn't live there, which is beyond bull crap!!! #2 if you had any reason to think we weren't living here, you should have asked.

Anyway, so we get a random letter saying that we didn't occupy the home and that our policy was cancelling. We got this letter twice when the whole time we've lived at our address. We called in both times and the guy on the phone assured us that our policy was fine and that no further acted was deemed necessary. Who would have thought this company was a joke? Not us, we've never had trouble with them until we got homeowner's insurance with them. So, we had to talk with these people many times over our account and we were told our policy was fine that it must have been a mistake and blah blah. We're like ok, fine just wanted to make sure everything was good and whatnot. Again, countless times, we were told our policy was fine. This was December of 2016.

So, after being told many times that it was a mistake on their part and it was fixed and blah blah blah, we find out in April of 2017 that we haven't had insurance since November of 2016 that the underwriter or whatever never reopened our account after talking to multiple people hours at a time to figure out what the heck they messed up. That's nice to know that you tell people their policy is fine only to screw them over. I'm done with this ** company, I suggest you go somewhere else if you're even thinking about Nationwide, they're definitely not "on your side". All they see is $$$$. I will NEVER use or EVER recommend this company to anyone. There is nothing they can say or do to change my mind. They've completely lost their chance of fixing this. We may pursue this out and see what our attorney can do for us and this beyond ridiculous company!

Original review: April 9, 2017

We had homeowners insurance with Nationwide for over 30 years with one claim over the entire period. After a morning storm, we called Nationwide to get an estimate for the damage. It was 3 weeks before they sent anyone to our house and the first thing the adjuster said when he got out of his leaking car was "Nice roof" making a reference to our only previous claim.

The damage was to an extra room added to our house which WAS insured on the policy. They lied about the dates of the incident, therefore their "weather report" didn't have a corresponding storm for the date they used. They tried to make us look like liars reporting a fraudulent claim. The adjuster ordered a "forensic investigation" which they probably spent more money on that than it would have cost to fix the damage. They denied our claim then dropped us and we had to get some high-risk insurance that was 3 times the price. This company is a RIPOFF. The adjusters are arrogant hacks with very rude tendencies. These people are RIPOFFS of the HIGHEST ORDER. Billionaires ripping off the poor, that is what NATIONWIDE IS. A HUGE SCAM!!!

Original review: April 3, 2017

They are good at helping on certain things. They call and check on you. Some things they aren't that great on. Other than that I can't really complain.

Original review: March 24, 2017

Terrible Adjusters!! Terrible Service! They avoids phone calls, gets rude with an attitude and does not return calls or update the client. I have been a customer with them for over 20 years and the treatment is horrible. Once the claim is resolved, I will be switching companies.

Original review: March 6, 2017

My homeowner's insurance has increased 191.00 in three years! I have never filed a claim for anything! I'm now going to compare and change companies. I will ask about their policy on increases on both homeowners and Auto insurance!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

I just called my Nationwide agent to see if I could get an inspector to come look at my roof for hail damage. Immediate response: "Before we get started, and if you want to file a claim, I want you to know that you have a 1% deductible, so your part before we begin, is $3,300." I'm currently looking at any 'policy changes' which would have changed my (grandfathered in - I thought - as a 20+ year customer) $500 deductible to 1% of my home's value. I certainly didn't agree to the change. I was given an 1-800 number to call in the event I want to file a claim. My home/auto/other Nationwide premiums continually go up - even though I haven't any tickets, claim filings, etc. I'll be shopping for a new Insurance company due to Nationwide premiums, service, and changing my roofing deductible w/o appropriate discussion and/or communications and/or my approval if applicable.

Nationwide Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Nationwide was first founded in 1925 in Columbus, Ohio. Originally, it had 1,000 policyholders. Today, it’s one of the country’s largest insurance companies, and it offers several types of insurance, including homeowners insurance and auto insurance.

• Great discounts: Nationwide offers excellent discounts for homeowners, including up to 20 percent discount for insurance if customers bundle their homeowners and car insurance.

• Belongings replacement service: Nationwide offers the Brand New Belongings service, which replaces belongings that are lost or damaged when a home undergoes an accident or damage. For example, this program will replace items that are burned in fires, broken by falling trees or damaged by severe weather like tornadoes.

• Processing speed: Nationwide is known for processing customer claims fast, which means that customers who submit a homeowners insurance claim can expect their claim to be evaluated and their money given to the them quicker than most insurance companies.

• Company: Nationwide is a large company, so customers may feel that they do not get much individualized or personal customer service attention. Most consumers must deal with a central customer service center, which is likely not in the location a customer is calling from, although Nationwide has a network of agents around the country.

• Qualifications: Nationwide has stringent qualification standards that have to be met to approve people for policies, and people with financial troubles or weak credit may not qualify for Nationwide homeowners insurance.

• Best for: Traditional homeowners, condo owners, farm owners