Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Compare Quotes

Nationwide - Homeowners

Nationwide - Homeowners
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.81/5

Nationwide Insurance provides home and auto insurance for clients across the country. Nationwide is not an InsuraMatch verified carrier. Contact InsuraMatch to receive multiple quotes from insurance companies to find the right carrier for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Compare and Save - Protect Your Home

Compare Quotes

Nationwide - Homeowners Reviews

Original review: Jan. 15, 2020

Had a roof leak repaired by a local reputable contractor. There is damage to the ceiling and walls near where the roof leak was repaired. The Nationwide adjuster came out to survey the damage and issued a check for damage to the walls but refused to pay for the roof repair because he was unable to visually inspect the damage before the repair, even though he admitted he could see the repair and the damage caused by the leak. Unbelievable!! Nationwide is not on your side!!

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

I paid 10 years of home insurance premiums to this company and when I filed for stolen property, was asked for the same documents over and over again. The adjustor closed my claim, telling me that I have not responded to her paper mails that I never received. She had my email and stopped sending me emails. This company needs to be audited!

Get expert buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

Hotwater heater flooded out small one level home. Nationwide came out and fixed part of the home. They neglected to even test 28" in the other direction. Now we have mold and floor rot because they refuse to cover it. Never ever use Nationwide.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2019

A classic bait and switch company telling you one thing when you sign up but always finding a way to not pay valid claims, routinely covered by other insurance providers. Customer service is non-existent.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

I have had Nationwide homeowners and property insurance for years. For the first time, in early 2019, I needed to file a claim. They stalled, lowballed and took up an inordinate amount of my time over many months. I finally got that property repaired and they covered the majority of the cost. I paid a few thousand. I have now filed a claim on my own home and they are even worse. All the homes in my neighborhood are getting new roofs from hail damage on May 24. Not me. Nationwide wants to replace a few shingles. They arbitrarily closed my claim. They have not responded for over two weeks to the photos, video and roofing company report. I am now resorting to hiring my own independent roof inspector.

Frankly I will never do business with them again. I advise you to look elsewhere. Their lack of customer service is appalling. Their blatant attempts to not pay claims is disgusting. My local roofing company said this is the only time they have seen a company try to replace a few shingles from this storm. Farmers insurance adjuster told me they estimate 10,000 new roof claims. I will likely turn this over to my attorney soon but wanted to warn others.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Insurance?

Original review: May 6, 2019

Nationwide rejected my homeowner's insurance application because in July 2017, I claimed through my renter's insurance (through Allstate) a total of $1100 - a small and meagre amount to cover damages in the unit below. The water from the bathtub caused water leakage in the unit below. Allstate paid for the damages in the full amount. Since this valid claim is linked to my social security, Nationwide rejected me. Think how they will treat minor claims and big claims when some bad happens to you. Message to Nationwide: Don't be an insurance company if you cannot handle claims. Stop offering insurance to people right now. Stop collecting premiums from people you think are "safe" and will never make a claim.

Original review: April 21, 2019

We’ve had Nationwide home and auto for the 12 years we’ve been in our home. No auto claims. One home claim in 2011 when hot water tank flooded our hardwood floors and Nationwide paid to replace entire living, dining and kitchen floors and to pay our hotel stay for 17 nights, about $17,000. But when hurricane Florence hit we had downed large elms, entire roof shingles pitted and lifted, 40 ft privacy fence blown out, cement driveway lifted and broke to large pieces from root ball. Entire damage out of pocket over $26,100 with Nationwide paying $6049.

They refused to pay roof except for value of two bundles for roof repair (they said repairable but 3 roofing contractors and an independent appraiser said roof had to be replaced), $4900 for drive which cost $8300 to replace, $226 for fence which cost $1000, and $900 or so for tree removal. Local insurance rep good to deal with but had to deal with agent in Ohio about all claims. 6 months after repeated delays and procrastination with rain leaking onto ceiling in various spots I paid $15900 to replace roof. I’m dumping Nationwide as they sure are not on my side. BTW, we were paying $2400 annual home ins premium.

Original review: March 10, 2019

I lost many of my possessions in a storage unit, because Nationwide refused to pay the storage unit fees after they agreed to pay the fees! Unbelievable! Nationwide is a disgusting and deceitful company! My advice is to stay far away from Nationwide! For anyone considering Nationwide as their insurance provider, just look into Nationwide's bad faith, and how the company was hit with $18 million in punitive damages in 2014, and realize just how deceitful Nationwide is!

Original review: March 1, 2019

We lost our home in the Camp Fire. Nationwide is refusing to pay for our new home even though we have the correct coverages on our policy which I’ve verified with the CA Insurance Commissioner’s office and with the Nationwide Representative who was here in Chico in person. The email I received yesterday states they will only pay about $3k of the $80k they still owe us and they won’t pay that until AFTER we close escrow on our new home. Dealing with them has been about as traumatizing as the event itself. They also had an error on my RV policy that limits my coverage, 10k less than it should be and they’ve refused to make that right as well. I am filing complaints with the CA Insurance Commissioner’s office and I recommend you do the same in your state as they are the agency that can hold Nationwide accountable. And of course, please don’t purchase insurance from Nationwide.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

They gave a quote a full month before policy started. I made a decision based upon this quote. After policy started they doubled the premiums under the rationale that my property was undervalued even though they had valued it more than any other company to start with. I canceled and they turned it over to collections. Quotes are bait for suckers.

Nationwide Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Nationwide was first founded in 1925 in Columbus, Ohio. Originally, it had 1,000 policyholders. Today, it’s one of the country’s largest insurance companies, and it offers several types of insurance, including homeowners insurance and auto insurance.

• Great discounts: Nationwide offers excellent discounts for homeowners, including up to 20 percent discount for insurance if customers bundle their homeowners and car insurance.

• Belongings replacement service: Nationwide offers the Brand New Belongings service, which replaces belongings that are lost or damaged when a home undergoes an accident or damage. For example, this program will replace items that are burned in fires, broken by falling trees or damaged by severe weather like tornadoes.

• Processing speed: Nationwide is known for processing customer claims fast, which means that customers who submit a homeowners insurance claim can expect their claim to be evaluated and their money given to the them quicker than most insurance companies.

• Company: Nationwide is a large company, so customers may feel that they do not get much individualized or personal customer service attention. Most consumers must deal with a central customer service center, which is likely not in the location a customer is calling from, although Nationwide has a network of agents around the country.

• Qualifications: Nationwide has stringent qualification standards that have to be met to approve people for policies, and people with financial troubles or weak credit may not qualify for Nationwide homeowners insurance.

• Best for: Traditional homeowners, condo owners, farm owners