Nationwide - Homeowners

Nationwide Homeowners Insurance
Compare Quotes
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.98/5

Nationwide provides home and auto insurance across the country. Its home insurance plans offer standard and extended coverage options and discount opportunities like savings for multipolicy bundles and home security systems. You can apply for a quote online through the Nationwide website.

Nationwide - Homeowners Compare Quotes

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Quotewizard

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Quotewizard

Get started

Nationwide Homeowners Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Homeowners Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Insurance?

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

I have had Nationwide Homeowners insurance for over 30 years and have been very happy with them. I have had to make claims with them due to wind and fire losses. Nationwide was always very helpful from the beginning to the end of claims.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

Nationwide is surely on your side when it comes to all of your insurance needs. I remember when I was younger and all the different insurance companies my Mom and late Dad used. Then they finally settled in on Nationwide. After that I never heard any complaints concerning homeowners, let alone the other insurance they offer. The big thing was when I went to Columbus, Ohio and saw the transformation that Nationwide took from just insurance to the the point of the children's hospital was changed to and currently still is named, Nationwide Children's Hospital.....They bought most of the block and rebuilt the hospital for all to enjoy.

Nationwide has very good price margins so that anyone can afford them. They quickly investigate and resolve your claim. And if there is a need for a court appearance, you better believe they have the best counsel and the truth will definitely be revealed. I would recommend Nationwide Insurance to any and everyone for their homeowners insurance and basically all other insurance needs. I have been in the the know of this company for over 40 and my family and I have not ever had any disappointments, may it be the prices, packages, employees or payout, you will definitely be satisfied with Nationwide. I recommend Nationwide Insurance to everyone I know and meet!

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

Have been looking around for a replacement policy and still in the decision mode. Many of the above factors are better at the competition. Have been with this company for many, many years, but their pricing, especially, is become off the charts.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2020

Recently my wife lost a diamond stone in her wedding ring. Our policy covers jewelry and we did submit an appraisal prior to coverage. Ring was valued at $12,200. I submitted the claim and within days it was approved for the appraised value. A few days later I received the check. I was expecting my premium to increase due to the claim however to my surprise my premium went down a few dollars.

Original review: March 12, 2020

Nationwide will have your back on mayhem. They covered hail and wind damage on my roof in a very proficient and incredible way. Got the check immediately. Really Trustworthy. They sent a ladder company to assess damages and coordinated with my contractor and their adjuster.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2020

I had a question about a claim and didnt know if we had to file under our insurance or not as it was not our fault and claim rep had no clue and sent me to a claim agent out of my state and he had no clue/never got back to me when promised. I had to contact him 2 times before I heard from him and he said, "Yea pay your deductible and we'll file a claim on the other insurance company and hope that you can get your deductible back." NO. That is not how that works.

Then asked me to pay deductible and send him pics and find my own company to fix the fence. "NO, do your job. I am not getting paid to look up all this info. What is he getting paid for." He had no comment and asked if I wanted to withdraw my claim and I said, "YES. I will not work with Nationwide ever again." Going to look for new insurance for my mom. Terrible service and had no idea what he was even talking about. I think the first day on the job for this gentleman as well as the Customer service agent.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

After paying my premium in full. 18 days later, sent a demand for more money and canceled my policy. This is the kind of company they are. I called customer service. Stated that I had changed something. I asked them what had changed. Nothing.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2020

Have done nothing to help us after fire. Just tried to lowball us on our house. Only gave us an offer of half of what our policy was for. We have a 150% replacement cost and only offered us about half of that.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

I had been with Geico for decades and my insurance kept creeping up a little bit every year so last year I decided to shop for a new rate and Nationwide saved me about 500.00 for the same coverage, GREAT!! I had to change my auto insurance to them in order to get the rate which was higher but ultimately I was saving a net of about 200.00. Not going to retire early on it but a buck is a buck, or so I thought! Fast forward a year, we have had no claims as usual and my auto gets auto renewed but my homeowners is in limbo. I didn't get a call or anything and here I am on September 16 and my policy expires on September 24th. Only reason I knew something was up was because they sent me notification that my automatic monthly payment was coming out on the 24th in the amount of 300.00 and its normal about 490.00. I looked online thinking maybe it was a COVID credit like all the other companies are doing but it wasn't!

I went online and my homeowners didn't even show up so I called. I spoke with a gal that said that they needed a letter from our alarm company that stated we had fire monitoring. I told her that we did not have fire monitoring and never have. She then simply explained that my policy would not be renewed! REALLY!!! I told her that I was not in a fire area that I live in the Bay area. She very nicely explained the even fires happen in the Bay Area!! Really, I had no idea!!! I then asked if all California homes had to have fire monitoring because I have never heard of that before, No answer. So then I called Geico back who I had my insurance with a year ago and got insurance again. Total waste of my time and I will never do insurance with them again.... It doesn't always pay to save a few bucks!!

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

We pay, what I believe is a very high premium compared to other insurers, and yet after a 72 hour blackout recently our insurance co. said "Sorry" when it came to covering about $350 worth of spoiled food in our refrigerator/freezer saying that even if we had coverage we would have to make an itemized list as we removed it from our appliance, photograph each item and then price like items in the grocery store and finally, there would have been a $500 deductible! On the other hand, my Granddaughter's homeowners said NO PROBLEM, NO DEDUCTIBLE, just go get your groceries and bring us the bill - no itemized list and no photographs of the damaged foods. I think it's time to shop for cheaper and BETTER coverage elsewhere AND I am really disappointed!

Nationwide Insurance author review by Matthew Brodsky

This company offers multiple types of insurance and provides online bill pay and claim filing. Customers can file claims, record damage and manage their policies from its mobile app. AM Best has given the company an A+ rating for financial strength.

• Cost: The average annual premium with Nationwide is around $2,000. Premiums for cheaper homes trend toward $1,500, while more expensive homes see premiums closer to $3,000.

• Plans and coverage: Nationwide’s basic policy covers replacement costs for dwellings, personal property, loss of use, inflation protection, ordinances and loss assessment. Its Protection Boost endorsement offers extended coverage for personal property, debris removal and valuables.

• Discounts: Nationwide offers discounts for new homes, homes in gated communities, no claims, policy bundles, protective devices, new roofs and hail-resistant roofs.

• Availability: Nationwide homeowners insurance is not available in Alaska, Florida, Hawaii, Louisiana, Massachusetts, New Jersey or New Mexico. It is available in all other states and Washington, D. C.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor