3.49/5

Nationwide - Homeowners

Nationwide Insurance provides home and auto insurance for clients across the country. Nationwide is not an InsuraMatch verified carrier. Contact InsuraMatch to receive multiple quotes from insurance companies to find the right carrier for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

269 Nationwide - Homeowners Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

When I switched to another insurance company I requested reimbursement due to the impounds were covered for one year. I received the reimbursement 2 months later. However I am not able to deposit the check due to my ex wife name is on the check. I have explained to different representatives from Nationwide this issue, to find out the Underwriters will not remove my ex wife’s name regardless of circumstance. They will not make any exceptions to their rules or policy. My question to the Underwriters what happens if the person in question cannot be located?

Before this incident occurred I requested several times to have my ex wife name removed from policy and for some reason my request was denied. Now I am required by my bank to deposit $677.00 for the shortage of funds in my impound account which is the check amount from Nationwide. I will never recommend this Insurance Company to anyone. Extremely Dissatisfied Previous Customer.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

Nationwide is NOT on your side. I have had Nationwide insurance since before 1996. I have all of my insurance through Nationwide, home, autos and motorhome. I had three minor claims with them in a short period. Someone tried to break in my stained glass front door while I was away in my motorhome. I filed a police report and insurance claim. $2034.00. A pipe leaked in my upstairs bathroom and caused minor damage in the floor below. I filed a claim. $1090.00. A family of raccoons decided to live in my attic. They needed to be evicted and the damage they caused repaired. I filed a claim. $5467.00.

Three since 1996. The total payout by Nationwide was $8591.00. My payout was $1500.00. Three $500.00 deductibles. I have appealed this with Nationwide and was told that because the claims were not weather related the policy is to cancel regardless of the amount of time I have been with and all the money I have paid for having all of my insurance with them. I have paid Nationwide thousands of dollars over the past three decades. Because of my three claims I have been refused renewal this month. I have tried to get insurance through 10 more reputable companies and have been denied because of being BLACKBALLED by Nationwide. I would not recommend Nationwide for your insurance. You are not considered valuable to them and once they reject you, you are rejected by all others.

Get expert buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

We had a plumbing leak in later October that resulted in several inches of standing water. The adjuster is ignoring the claim and issuing ridiculous demands such as original sales receipts for every single household item being claimed as a loss. This is unconscionable. After eleven weeks, the home is still uninhabitable, plumbing fixtures, flooring and wall materials are missing, and the adjuster won't approve repair quotes from Nationwide's own contractors.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I am on a budget so I have so much to spend it and Nationwide was within my means. I went with this company because they gave the best quote. The company offers Convenience. I can call and get someone on the line quickly. The agents makes sure you understand what you're purchase. I also like how they show compassion to their customers. I can also email them. However, I dislike that they increased price each year. I know it's a business, however it's getting kind of steep. I also dislike how when I renew there is always an extra fee on it. It's getting pricey, however this is the best yet. Overall I like the company.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Before I decided, I did a lot of reading and Nationwide had good reviews about their company. They had good coverage and great rates at the time I was looking for flood insurance for my home. Very good customer service and local office so if I needed someone to talk to, I could go directly there to talk to a person about a certain matter. And also good reliability on their website. But I would like it if they had more customer service people that knew more answers to more of my questions when I call. And I wish they didn't have to check my credit and not do rate increases so much based on my credit.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Insurance?

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

They are a great conversation with the company and they are always there for and seem to care about what's going on with you. I like that they will let you know what's going on with your policy and availability of other people. They also offer policy that will call in the night if something is wrong. They also are more affordable price than other companies.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Nationwide covers me and dog. We bundle our auto and home insurance together. The price seems affordable and I pay roll deduct the premium. They covered me when I got rear ended by a hit and run driver.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I already had automobile policy with this company and had previously had renter's insurance so it was a natural progression to get homeowner's insurance. It is a comprehensive policy and I was able to bundle with other policies. I like that it has local offices and the other benefits for roadside assistance. But I would like it if an agent would contact me at least once a year instead of all contact being by mail. I also wish they gave a discount for long term, no claims customers.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Nationwide has great customer service. They care about the customer, their phone can be called anytime and the phone representative is always available. It's easy to use and on the web. Sometimes though, it seems that the bill is hard to understand. There should be more clarity and transparency should be a mission. Still, Nationwide is a solid company and their name is popular. It has been used for generations. It was what my family has always used and it is what I'll keep using.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

They been around for some time. My friends, my family and my coworkers have been using them for years and I've heard a lot of good stuff about them. I've been with them over many years and everything about them is fabulous and great. They're nice, easy to work with. They're helpful and friendly too. They're also cheap and I can pay easy. Super wonderful, all good and amazing.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

Nationwide has the best price I could find for what I'm looking for and also I bundle it with my car insurance. Before I sign up I checked the reviews online and all I asked some people around that I know. I want to see that my premium it will not go high if I file for a claim. I want to feel that I'm safe and I can do the best. What I dislike the most is when I cannot reach my agent or my agent is not very helpful. I want to feel that I can depend and my agent is there for me.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

Nationwide had the best deal at the time of renewal area. The company was quick to renew with no hassles... Covers what is needed to have on policy... it's a peace of mind to have. Always keep updated each year. The company makes the client informed when due and what should be added. But I wish it to be cheaper. Prices are high as usually the cost is hard to maintain for a average family. Also wishes always there were more companies to compare with cost but never enough time...

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

We like that Nationwide gives an amount that you have to have for a deductible for it can be added for insurance. It does us what and what is not included in the flood insurance. What we dislike though is we have to pay more for the deductible than it can be used to fix the problem. It does cover areas not near the flood area and the insurance is too high to pay when it is not needed. We live in an area that does not need flood insurance. I thought that this insurance was the best one when I looked it up the internet but I needed to know more right now.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I had Nationwide home/auto bundle insurance for 3 years, during which time I had multiple extremely negative experiences with this company. One time they screwed up some paperwork on their side, and cancelled our home insurance by mistake. To make it worse they informed our mortgage lender of this cancellation, which caused a lot of stress for me as they could have led to some serious issues with the lender. I had to spend a lot of time and energy to straighten things out for a mistake that Nationwide made.

Another time, when I started a home-based business, I called this company and asked them if they had any business insurance plans that I can bundle with home. They directed me to an affiliate of theirs for business insurance. A couple of months later, I received an email from them asking me to call them, without explaining in the email what the call was about. I called them but had to leave a message. A few weeks later, the same email again.

Finally, I got in touch with someone, who started claiming that they would cancel my home insurance because I had started a business!!! Note, they never explained during my first phone call that my insurance plan excluded the possibility of starting a home-based business. Instead, they made it sound like I was starting a business without letting them know. What a rude, disloyal, and unprofessional way to handle a repeat customer. And by the way, through all these, they kept increasing the insurance cost by a dollar or two every month, with no explanation! Stay away from this company.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I was recommended by my local agent. This company gave me the best price and was streamlined. I was told that they offer rewards for loyalty as well. I am very pleased. They are easy to do business with and have great plans and payment options. A lot of things can be done online. They also have knowledgeable agents. However, I wish their mobile application worked a little better. I also wish they had better options of bundling different policies. Other than that, Nationwide is a great company.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I would choose this homeowners insurance policy over other insurance policies because it's retro. Other insurance policies don't have the standards set straight than Nationwide insurance. I like this homeowners insurance policy. I like the comradery between the agents in the insurance.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

The price is high and it goes up if you use it but you must have insurance and Nationwide was everything I wanted. They are well known and have a long history of faithfulness to their customers. Great coverage. The price and the features are fantastic and the people are great. The company has never let me down and I don't ever expect them to disappoint me. If they did I would find another company.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

The only reason that I like my insurance company is because of my agent. Otherwise the price is too high but my agent helped make it more affordable. She didn't let the company rip me off. My agent is the best. She walked me through my policy and told me everything that I needed and didn't need for my area. She was honest and straightforward about everything and gave me the best rates possible.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

When I first purchased my policy, I went with a local agent that was recommended by my in-laws. Nationwide has many options to choose from and the price was good then as well. I like that they offer a flood insurance rider. I think that's important. But prices are going up, so I am not sure if Nationwide is an economical policy. I am thinking about bundling coverage, but haven't been given an incentive. But it's nice that it's a local branch office. The people in the local office are friendly and helpful. Customer service from corporate is not the best.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I already had an auto insurance policy with Nationwide. After comparing their coverage with similar coverage from other insurance companies, I found that Nationwide's coverage was as good or better and their prices were about the same or lower than other companies. Nationwide is a privately owned company so no stockholders to satisfy. They give discounts for multiple-policy coverage (home and auto). They give you the option of signing up with a local agent to service your policy or of signing up through their website so everything can be handled locally &/or through the website.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I have been insured by Nationwide for over 55 years and have always trusted them and their agents. My parents also trusted them. I like their exceptional agent, very pro-active, down to earth and willing to inform and provide any discounts I may be eligible for. However, after a house fire 25 years ago, adjusters should be better trained and more sympathetic to the homeowners problems and not try to "nickel and dime" them to death. Adjusters main concern seemed to be to limit your claim.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I like that Nationwide covers theft, water backup, personal injury, and other losses, and I can bundle my car and home on the same policy. They have reasonable prices and the payments are superb. Nationwide is nothing more than amazing.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

With Nationwide, I can bundle my home and auto. It makes paying them easy and it's easy to keep track of. They insured my stuff and that's all I need. I just like to keep things simple and they are always there, morning, noon and night, whenever I need anything or a problem that needs to be fixed.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

Nationwide always have my back and I have good coverage, they have good rates and a good price that I haven't seen anyone come close to offering me the same service. I really do enjoy them. I have had no problems with Nationwide and they haven't given me a reason to doubt them.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

Nationwide is simple, I setup an inbound account that pays the homeowners insurance bill once a year and I don't have to deal with paying another bill each month. But the company can't seem to find a structural engineer to evaluate my concrete deck which is cracking and Ramjack came out and gave me a bid to repair it but the Nationwide is dragging their feet. Don't use these guys. It was affordable but I'm going to bundle my car insurance with my homeowners to get a better deal with Allstate. They seem to have their ducks in a row.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

Nationwide is bundled with our other insurance so we get a slight discount. However, they give us the run around sometimes. They should be local, too. We have an agent that disappears and I wish we had a different agent. He is hard to get a hold of most the time. He's worthless and doesn't help.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

The previous company I used went bankrupt and I needed to get my home covered asap. I have tried calling for quotes at least 5 different companies, and Nationwide had the best price. Nationwide is on your side, their slogan is great. I have had them for 6 years and never had to use them. Friendly and personable. My premium goes up a bit too high too fast though. I hope somewhere down the line everyone's premium or account gets a credit.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

When we switched homeowners policy around 10 years ago, Nationwide had the best coverage for the money. Their customer service has been outstanding in the past. We have made no claims, but our agent makes sure we are covered properly. Also, our questions have been addressed fully over the years. I would like it if the premiums would not get up so much each year though. We have had no claims during the time with Nationwide so a bigger discount would also be nice.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I wanted a reputable company with a local agent and when I checked reviews Nationwide came out on top. Nationwide has both local agents and online access. Very convenient for managing policies. Fast service is important. I had a very positive experience.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

Nationwide was the cheapest there was at the time and it gave me a discount on my auto if I used them for homeowners insurance. I like everything. It's reliable and I like that they bundle everything. I've never had an issue with Nationwide ever and don't think I will in the future so I will continue to stay with them.

Nationwide Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Nationwide was first founded in 1925 in Columbus, Ohio. Originally, it had 1,000 policyholders. Today, it’s one of the country’s largest insurance companies, and it offers several types of insurance, including homeowners insurance and auto insurance.

• Great discounts: Nationwide offers excellent discounts for homeowners, including up to 20 percent discount for insurance if customers bundle their homeowners and car insurance.

• Belongings replacement service: Nationwide offers the Brand New Belongings service, which replaces belongings that are lost or damaged when a home undergoes an accident or damage. For example, this program will replace items that are burned in fires, broken by falling trees or damaged by severe weather like tornadoes.

• Processing speed: Nationwide is known for processing customer claims fast, which means that customers who submit a homeowners insurance claim can expect their claim to be evaluated and their money given to the them quicker than most insurance companies.

• Company: Nationwide is a large company, so customers may feel that they do not get much individualized or personal customer service attention. Most consumers must deal with a central customer service center, which is likely not in the location a customer is calling from, although Nationwide has a network of agents around the country.

• Qualifications: Nationwide has stringent qualification standards that have to be met to approve people for policies, and people with financial troubles or weak credit may not qualify for Nationwide homeowners insurance.

• Best for: Traditional homeowners, condo owners, farm owners