3.47/5

Nationwide - Homeowners

Nationwide Insurance provides home and auto insurance for clients across the country. Nationwide is not an InsuraMatch verified carrier. Contact InsuraMatch to receive multiple quotes from insurance companies to find the right carrier for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

256 Nationwide - Homeowners Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I had Nationwide home/auto bundle insurance for 3 years, during which time I had multiple extremely negative experiences with this company. One time they screwed up some paperwork on their side, and cancelled our home insurance by mistake. To make it worse they informed our mortgage lender of this cancellation, which caused a lot of stress for me as they could have led to some serious issues with the lender. I had to spend a lot of time and energy to straighten things out for a mistake that Nationwide made.

Another time, when I started a home-based business, I called this company and asked them if they had any business insurance plans that I can bundle with home. They directed me to an affiliate of theirs for business insurance. A couple of months later, I received an email from them asking me to call them, without explaining in the email what the call was about. I called them but had to leave a message. A few weeks later, the same email again.

Finally, I got in touch with someone, who started claiming that they would cancel my home insurance because I had started a business!!! Note, they never explained during my first phone call that my insurance plan excluded the possibility of starting a home-based business. Instead, they made it sound like I was starting a business without letting them know. What a rude, disloyal, and unprofessional way to handle a repeat customer. And by the way, through all these, they kept increasing the insurance cost by a dollar or two every month, with no explanation! Stay away from this company.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I was recommended by my local agent. This company gave me the best price and was streamlined. I was told that they offer rewards for loyalty as well. I am very pleased. They are easy to do business with and have great plans and payment options. A lot of things can be done online. They also have knowledgeable agents. However, I wish their mobile application worked a little better. I also wish they had better options of bundling different policies. Other than that, Nationwide is a great company.

Get expert buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I would choose this homeowners insurance policy over other insurance policies because it's retro. Other insurance policies don't have the standards set straight than Nationwide insurance. I like this homeowners insurance policy. I like the comradery between the agents in the insurance.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

The price is high and it goes up if you use it but you must have insurance and Nationwide was everything I wanted. They are well known and have a long history of faithfulness to their customers. Great coverage. The price and the features are fantastic and the people are great. The company has never let me down and I don't ever expect them to disappoint me. If they did I would find another company.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

The only reason that I like my insurance company is because of my agent. Otherwise the price is too high but my agent helped make it more affordable. She didn't let the company rip me off. My agent is the best. She walked me through my policy and told me everything that I needed and didn't need for my area. She was honest and straightforward about everything and gave me the best rates possible.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Insurance?

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

When I first purchased my policy, I went with a local agent that was recommended by my in-laws. Nationwide has many options to choose from and the price was good then as well. I like that they offer a flood insurance rider. I think that's important. But prices are going up, so I am not sure if Nationwide is an economical policy. I am thinking about bundling coverage, but haven't been given an incentive. But it's nice that it's a local branch office. The people in the local office are friendly and helpful. Customer service from corporate is not the best.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I already had an auto insurance policy with Nationwide. After comparing their coverage with similar coverage from other insurance companies, I found that Nationwide's coverage was as good or better and their prices were about the same or lower than other companies. Nationwide is a privately owned company so no stockholders to satisfy. They give discounts for multiple-policy coverage (home and auto). They give you the option of signing up with a local agent to service your policy or of signing up through their website so everything can be handled locally &/or through the website.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I have been insured by Nationwide for over 55 years and have always trusted them and their agents. My parents also trusted them. I like their exceptional agent, very pro-active, down to earth and willing to inform and provide any discounts I may be eligible for. However, after a house fire 25 years ago, adjusters should be better trained and more sympathetic to the homeowners problems and not try to "nickel and dime" them to death. Adjusters main concern seemed to be to limit your claim.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I like that Nationwide covers theft, water backup, personal injury, and other losses, and I can bundle my car and home on the same policy. They have reasonable prices and the payments are superb. Nationwide is nothing more than amazing.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

With Nationwide, I can bundle my home and auto. It makes paying them easy and it's easy to keep track of. They insured my stuff and that's all I need. I just like to keep things simple and they are always there, morning, noon and night, whenever I need anything or a problem that needs to be fixed.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2018

Nationwide always have my back and I have good coverage, they have good rates and a good price that I haven't seen anyone come close to offering me the same service. I really do enjoy them. I have had no problems with Nationwide and they haven't given me a reason to doubt them.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

Nationwide is simple, I setup an inbound account that pays the homeowners insurance bill once a year and I don't have to deal with paying another bill each month. But the company can't seem to find a structural engineer to evaluate my concrete deck which is cracking and Ramjack came out and gave me a bid to repair it but the Nationwide is dragging their feet. Don't use these guys. It was affordable but I'm going to bundle my car insurance with my homeowners to get a better deal with Allstate. They seem to have their ducks in a row.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2018

Nationwide is bundled with our other insurance so we get a slight discount. However, they give us the run around sometimes. They should be local, too. We have an agent that disappears and I wish we had a different agent. He is hard to get a hold of most the time. He's worthless and doesn't help.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

The previous company I used went bankrupt and I needed to get my home covered asap. I have tried calling for quotes at least 5 different companies, and Nationwide had the best price. Nationwide is on your side, their slogan is great. I have had them for 6 years and never had to use them. Friendly and personable. My premium goes up a bit too high too fast though. I hope somewhere down the line everyone's premium or account gets a credit.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

When we switched homeowners policy around 10 years ago, Nationwide had the best coverage for the money. Their customer service has been outstanding in the past. We have made no claims, but our agent makes sure we are covered properly. Also, our questions have been addressed fully over the years. I would like it if the premiums would not get up so much each year though. We have had no claims during the time with Nationwide so a bigger discount would also be nice.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I wanted a reputable company with a local agent and when I checked reviews Nationwide came out on top. Nationwide has both local agents and online access. Very convenient for managing policies. Fast service is important. I had a very positive experience.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

Nationwide was the cheapest there was at the time and it gave me a discount on my auto if I used them for homeowners insurance. I like everything. It's reliable and I like that they bundle everything. I've never had an issue with Nationwide ever and don't think I will in the future so I will continue to stay with them.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

Lender-placed. I live in Florida. Insurance is difficult even when I have had no claims or issues and do not live in a flood zone. But am glad for the good coverage and service I receive and know if I had a claim I would receive help when I needed it regardless of the issue. Easy to deal with Nationwide and helpful and responsive when called regarding questions and provide answers in understandable plain English explanations of your policy and coverage with polite service. But their website is somewhat clunky and phone wait hold times are sometimes long. But overall result is very good which offsets any annoyances navigating their site or listening to their hold music which is also good.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

Cheap price for pretty good coverage but still well known companies to choose from. I was familiar with Nationwide from past experience with my family having this insurance while I was growing up. My experience with Nationwide has been fine and have had no problems yet and I hope when and if a problem arises in the future they will have my back.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

They are within a couple of miles from my residence and know me when I call in. They are most helpful and always take time to answer any of questions and concerns with a smile and friendly attitude. At the moment and I am happy with all the features of my combined home and auto insurance policy. They go over each feature and discuss options that are within my budget means. I have had them as my home and auto insurance company for over 30 years. This company also is one of the larger and a very reputable company.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

Nationwide has life insurance and auto insurance. It offers more than homeowners insurance and you can get all of your insure through them. They are always there when you need them. They were easy to talk to and the quote was free plus the price was reasonable. I was able to insure my home and my truck with one company. They need to lower their prices though. Young people deserve a chance of having insurance without paying a stupid high price. Insurance companies need to give younger people a break on insurance.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

Nationwide was the best price for what I was getting. It was easy to go online, search through the application, apply and then get a quote. I then called for some further information. I would have a little less expensive and more options in policy prices. An ala carte so to speak. Make it easier to go through the process of adding insurance for your home. Other than that, it's easy to understand the contents of the policy. What it stands for and the contents within describing what is covered and making sure I have enough coverage in case something was to happen.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

I got a discount on my car insurance if I have other insurance with the company and there was no pressure by my agent to obtain this insurance. It covers what I need for what I have invested in the house, although I think the price is a little too high. I have to wait to be approved until an inspector came out and inspected the inside and outside of the house. Still, I like the peace of mind the insurance gives me and the amount of protection. I've had this insurance as long as I can remember.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

I already had auto insurance with Nationwide so I bundled policies. It was more convenient and cost effective to have the same company for both. The customer service is great. If they don't have the answers, they'll find them. Plus, I can get someone on the phone and get answers in a reasonable amount of time. Otherwise I'm pretty content with Nationwide but I would like the rates to be a bit lower.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

After the way Nation - not on your side - Wide jerked me around I will NEVER EEEEEEVER get or recommend this "insurance" company. Nationwide is a freakin' JOKE. They claim to cover a home problem - but then make you wait for 7 MONTHS with a crappy temporary sink (that their contractors who do not even speak English do not understand how to install) for the fix. NUMEROUS times the contractors they hire cancel an hour before they promise to show - this after I TAKE VACATION TIME to be home, and or cancel plans to be home and THEY NEVER SHOW. I need to hire an attorney and begin charging for MY time - by the hour too!

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

Nationwide has a favorable reputation and is recommended by family. The agents office tries to be very helpful and local agent available too. Coverage is adequate and price is average. However, the adjuster did not do her job in a timely manner. Often have to wait for agent assigned to us to call back or be available.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

Nationwide homeowners insurance policy was the cheapest at the time we were looking and we have heard good things about them from close friends. They are easy to work with. They responded back to us quickly when we first contact them and whenever I contacted them, I got a quick response back. Was able to contact through email and get a quick response back as well. The agents were all courteous and friendly. But like any company I would always improve the cost of home insurance. Always seems high or there always seems to be catches as to what will be covered and how much they will cover. Seems like insurance companies try to pull fast ones on you.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

I like Nationwide because of their in-depth knowledge and customer service skills. I like the way they interact with their customers and how they settle agreements. I love the way they handle and approach matters. They have more options for you to choose from and they make a way for you to be well serviced and cared for. This company gives me all the advice I need in order to make a decision so that I can benefit greatly from my choice.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

Nationwide is very trustworthy and has been around and beats out many, many, many of the other companies that are around nowadays who provide homeowners insurance. Nationwide is amazing and we love them. I chose this company for their friendliness and ease of business to do with them. They have had our backs whenever disaster or inconvenience occurs and they have never given us a problem about settling with a check or squaring away any differences in the policy amounts that may come from what we have to come out of pocket for any expenses. They've always reimbursed and always been there no matter what many times that we've never had to go out of our way to have everything we needed.

I also chose Nationwide for the price. It is very lenient and very marginal to what the homeowner's home is worth compared to how much you pay on a policy. It's also a good deal as far as you always get more than what you pay for. They have a extremely wide range of what they cover. They cover damages as far as natural disaster damage, hail damage, wind damage, theft, fire damage and more.

The policy could always be cheaper as far as how much you pay. They could also provide more coverage for a wider array of things that could happen. The only thing that could make them better is if they were available on point on demand anytime, anywhere, anyplace. The fact that if you were to pay your homeowners insurance faithfully from the time you start to pay your mortgage on your home till the day you die you will never pay more on your insurance policy than what your home is worth because Nationwide is awesome. They're the best at negotiating prices and knowing what the loss and Gain ratio is as far as how much you will stand to gain. As long as you have Nationwide you will be okay!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Nationwide is connected to my mortgage payment and it is what was recommended by the realtor and the finance company. But I had to purchase flood insurance separately. Given that I live on the Southeast coast you would think the insurance companies would figure out a way to include this coverage.

Nationwide Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Nationwide was first founded in 1925 in Columbus, Ohio. Originally, it had 1,000 policyholders. Today, it’s one of the country’s largest insurance companies, and it offers several types of insurance, including homeowners insurance and auto insurance.

• Great discounts: Nationwide offers excellent discounts for homeowners, including up to 20 percent discount for insurance if customers bundle their homeowners and car insurance.

• Belongings replacement service: Nationwide offers the Brand New Belongings service, which replaces belongings that are lost or damaged when a home undergoes an accident or damage. For example, this program will replace items that are burned in fires, broken by falling trees or damaged by severe weather like tornadoes.

• Processing speed: Nationwide is known for processing customer claims fast, which means that customers who submit a homeowners insurance claim can expect their claim to be evaluated and their money given to the them quicker than most insurance companies.

• Company: Nationwide is a large company, so customers may feel that they do not get much individualized or personal customer service attention. Most consumers must deal with a central customer service center, which is likely not in the location a customer is calling from, although Nationwide has a network of agents around the country.

• Qualifications: Nationwide has stringent qualification standards that have to be met to approve people for policies, and people with financial troubles or weak credit may not qualify for Nationwide homeowners insurance.

• Best for: Traditional homeowners, condo owners, farm owners