2. Homeowners
Nationwide Homeowners Insurance

Nationwide - Homeowners

3.9/5 (354 ratings)
Compare Quotes on Quotewizard

Need to insure your new home, or looking to lower your rate?

Get pricing in minutes with Lemonade

Get started

About Nationwide - Homeowners

Nationwide provides home and auto insurance across the country. Its home insurance plans offer standard and extended coverage options and discount opportunities like savings for multipolicy bundles and home security systems. You can apply for a quote online through the Nationwide website.

Pros

• Multipolicy discounts
  • Online quotes
  • On Your Side Review assessments

Cons

• Limited online presence
  • Not available in all states

Bottom Line

Nationwide provides homeowners insurance with standard and extended coverage options. It offers some discounts and a few online tools; however, some find its online resources limited.

Top Nationwide Homeowners Insurance Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Insurance?

Verified

Nationwide will have your back on mayhem. They covered hail and wind damage on my roof in a very proficient and incredible way. Got the check immediately. Really Trustworthy. They...

Verified

I like Nationwide Insurance and I have it for 20+ years. I searched other insurance companies and all of them were much more expensive then Nationwide. Nationwide has better cover...

Need to insure your new home, or looking to lower your rate?

Get pricing in minutes with Lemonade

Get started

About Nationwide home insurance

Nationwide provides homeowners with various standard and additional coverages. Its standard policies cover:

• Dwellings
  • Other structures
  • Personal property
  • Loss of use (temporary living expenses)
  • Personal liability
  • Medical payments for others
  • Credit cards

Additionally, Nationwide offers car, pet and personal umbrella insurance policies, which you can bundle with your homeowners policy for a reduced rate. The company also provides discounts for home insurance policyholders with security systems.

Nationwide homeowners insurance coverage

You can request a free online bundle quote on Nationwide’s website or contact a Nationwide agent for a more detailed and personalized quote. Your quote depends on the coverage levels you need. For example, you can include coverage add-ons such as:

• Identity theft
  • Water backup
  • Flood insurance
  • Replacement cost
  • Earthquake coverage
  • Valuables

Nationwide also offers a free insurance assessment called the On Your Side Review. This opportunity is for all Nationwide members and works to ensure you receive coverage that fits your needs.

Nationwide home insurance quotes and costs

The cost of a homeowners insurance policy with Nationwide varies based on coverage level, your home’s location and the deductible limit you choose. The company does offer multiple discount and bundling opportunities for additional savings, including:

• Multipolicy bundles
  • Home purchase within the last 12 months
  • Previous, continuous insurance coverage
  • Claims-free discounts
  • Home renovation credits
  • Protective devices and security systems

If you combine home and auto insurance from Nationwide, you’ll get a 20% bundle discount. You can also get discounts for selecting paperless billing and policy documents.

Nationwide home insurance FAQ

What does Nationwide home insurance cover?
Nationwide home insurance covers your home, other structures on your property, personal belongings and more, and you can add coverage add-ons for an extra fee.
Who underwrites Nationwide home insurance?
Nationwide home insurance is underwritten by Nationwide employees; the company is owned by Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company.
Does Nationwide homeowners insurance cover mold?
With Nationwide, mold coverage depends on the source of the damage. If it’s caused by a flood, for instance, Nationwide doesn’t cover it.
Where is Nationwide home insurance available?
Nationwide home insurance is available in 43 states across the country. It’s not available in Alaska, Hawaii, New Mexico, Louisiana, Florida, New Jersey and Massachusetts.

Is Nationwide home insurance good?

Nationwide offers solid standard and comprehensive home insurance coverage and a multitude of bundling and discount options. Many homeowners find Nationwide’s online tools useful for bill pay and claims handling; however, several find the online quote estimator to be limiting and prefer speaking with a Nationwide representative over the phone.

Nationwide Homeowners Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Homeowners Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Insurance?

Original review: June 26, 2021

I have been with Nationwide since 1984. The company has provided excellent car insurance and repair services as well as affordable homeowners' insurance. I am a satisfied consumer. I pay for what I need. And the policies are adequate!

Original review: June 11, 2021

I had a water claim years ago and the insurance company went above and beyond to get my kitchen redone even better than it was originally. I had new cabinets and flooring countertops installed. What a blessing.

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

Nationwide has NEVER failed to be honest and fair in resolving any insurance issue. I have lost a garage and contents to fire. A few auto accidents (I use Nationwide for Home/Auto & Life), and each time I have had to contact nationwide, they have always "been on our side". I damn sure miss my agent, Norm **, he retired, however the service remained of the highest standard with our new agent. In my experience, if you pay your premiums, are honest and fair with nationwide, they will offer the same.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

I have had Nationwide Homeowners insurance for over 30 years and have been very happy with them. I have had to make claims with them due to wind and fire losses. Nationwide was always very helpful from the beginning to the end of claims.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

Nationwide is surely on your side when it comes to all of your insurance needs. I remember when I was younger and all the different insurance companies my Mom and late Dad used. Then they finally settled in on Nationwide. After that I never heard any complaints concerning homeowners, let alone the other insurance they offer. The big thing was when I went to Columbus, Ohio and saw the transformation that Nationwide took from just insurance to the the point of the children's hospital was changed to and currently still is named, Nationwide Children's Hospital.....They bought most of the block and rebuilt the hospital for all to enjoy.

Nationwide has very good price margins so that anyone can afford them. They quickly investigate and resolve your claim. And if there is a need for a court appearance, you better believe they have the best counsel and the truth will definitely be revealed. I would recommend Nationwide Insurance to any and everyone for their homeowners insurance and basically all other insurance needs. I have been in the the know of this company for over 40 and my family and I have not ever had any disappointments, may it be the prices, packages, employees or payout, you will definitely be satisfied with Nationwide. I recommend Nationwide Insurance to everyone I know and meet!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

It's very unfortunate to find out this big of a company acts like a scam. We purchased our homeowner insurance, providing all accurate information and received a quote. Even though it was a bit higher than the quotes we received from local agents, we decided to go with NationWide, thinking they are a large and reputable company. A month later, they sent out an inspector and then told us they need to increase the dwelling cost, therefore our premium. We did not agree with the over 100k dwelling cost increase because the original dwelling cost was close to every other quote we got. So we called the customer service multiple times to see if we could keep the original dwelling quote, which they declined. So we cancelled our policy and waiting for a prorated refund.

Here is the best part!! When we received the check, we found they still charged us the prorated increased premium, which we did not agree with. When we contacted the company again, they told us it was because the inaccurate square footage we provided, but cannot tell us what the difference. (Fyi: we never needed to provide sf when we requested the quote.) Then they said it was the siding material that was inaccurate even though that was not true either. Finally, they told me they need to escalate the case and gave me a hotline 614-249-8965 for complaint, which WAS A NON-WORKING NUMBER!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2021

Nationwide is on your side…unless you have pit bulls as pets, in which case they will stereotype, prejudge, and then discriminate by refusing to insure you. By making it harder for pit bull owners to get home insurance, they are perpetuating a myth and contributing to their overpopulation in shelters, ultimately leading to many sweet and unaggressive dogs being euthanized. All based on ignorance. Discrimination is wrong, whatever form it takes. Even if you don’t have pit bulls, please don’t give this company your business!

Original review: April 30, 2021

Nationwide agent in Lexington SC assured me I had Mold cover. Then when I needed to use that coverage they said I did not have it. It is a state law requiring Mold coverage. They also insured the owner of the house I rented so they teamed up w him to avoid paying my claim. My sister died due to the Mold in that house. The DCD

Original review: April 29, 2021

I am very dissatisfied with Nationwide and would not recommend going with this company for anyone who owns a home. I put a claim in on 4/6. Today is 4/29 and they are still investigating. I now have to come out of pocket for something insurance should handle. This issue should have been rectified ASAP yet they do not see the importance of it. My entire downstairs has been damaged due to water overflow from the toilet. Floors had to be pulled, baseboards were damaged as well as cabinets.

Nationwide keeps going back and forth about the cabinets saying the water did not affect this, they sent a company out to inspect the cabinets on 4/23, of course the cabinets will be dry TWO WEEKS LATER.. But now there is a bigger issue, there’s mold that’s being formed under the cabinets where the water was. Nationwide does not care and is still dragging their feet when it comes to my issue. I’ve already contacted customer relations about this issue and honestly I’m not sure what else to do. I’m losing money and my mind.. So again, DO NOT GO WITH NATIONWIDE..

Original review: April 12, 2021

I have never seen such as a worthless adjuster. I had a claim opened since earlier march and this adjuster Jared ** is racist and lazy on top of that. At first he took forever just to show up at my house. After 4 days for filing a claim for basement flooded he finally showed up to look at the damages but it was already too late because I had already hired a mitigation company, the guy called him and left him a voicemail about the situation in the basement he never responded back. He did say he was gonna send me the settlement the same night he came over. He never did. He actually went on Vacation.

After 6 more days and after talking to his supervisor he ended sending the settlement in my email. It took him another 4 more days to mail me the check while he could have just directed deposited it. He held on to couples more thousands when I got a estimate from the carpet people, I had texted him to let him know that I needed some money he wanted me to send him the invoice. When sent him both invoices he took time off again starting today until Friday. He is really worthless and can not even do his job and on top of that he is racist because he would not do what he did to a ** person. I guess he thinks he is doing me a favor. I am done with this company. I cannot wait to get a quote from different insurance.

Nationwide Homeowners Insurance Company Information