Protect what matters most

Protect my home
Nationwide - Homeowners
3.94/5

Nationwide - Homeowners

Nationwide Insurance provides home and auto insurance for clients across the country. Nationwide is not an InsuraMatch verified carrier. Contact InsuraMatch to receive multiple quotes from insurance companies to find the right carrier for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Protect what matters most

Compare Homeowners Insurance Quotes

Protect my home

274 Nationwide - Homeowners Consumer Reviews

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Before I decided, I did a lot of reading and Nationwide had good reviews about their company. They had good coverage and great rates at the time I was looking for flood insurance for my home. Very good customer service and local office so if I needed someone to talk to, I could go directly there to talk to a person about a certain matter. And also good reliability on their website. But I would like it if they had more customer service people that knew more answers to more of my questions when I call. And I wish they didn't have to check my credit and not do rate increases so much based on my credit.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

We like that Nationwide gives an amount that you have to have for a deductible for it can be added for insurance. It does us what and what is not included in the flood insurance. What we dislike though is we have to pay more for the deductible than it can be used to fix the problem. It does cover areas not near the flood area and the insurance is too high to pay when it is not needed. We live in an area that does not need flood insurance. I thought that this insurance was the best one when I looked it up the internet but I needed to know more right now.

Get expert buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

Lender-placed. I live in Florida. Insurance is difficult even when I have had no claims or issues and do not live in a flood zone. But am glad for the good coverage and service I receive and know if I had a claim I would receive help when I needed it regardless of the issue. Easy to deal with Nationwide and helpful and responsive when called regarding questions and provide answers in understandable plain English explanations of your policy and coverage with polite service. But their website is somewhat clunky and phone wait hold times are sometimes long. But overall result is very good which offsets any annoyances navigating their site or listening to their hold music which is also good.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2018

Nationwide is very trustworthy and has been around and beats out many, many, many of the other companies that are around nowadays who provide homeowners insurance. Nationwide is amazing and we love them. I chose this company for their friendliness and ease of business to do with them. They have had our backs whenever disaster or inconvenience occurs and they have never given us a problem about settling with a check or squaring away any differences in the policy amounts that may come from what we have to come out of pocket for any expenses. They've always reimbursed and always been there no matter what many times that we've never had to go out of our way to have everything we needed.

I also chose Nationwide for the price. It is very lenient and very marginal to what the homeowner's home is worth compared to how much you pay on a policy. It's also a good deal as far as you always get more than what you pay for. They have a extremely wide range of what they cover. They cover damages as far as natural disaster damage, hail damage, wind damage, theft, fire damage and more.

The policy could always be cheaper as far as how much you pay. They could also provide more coverage for a wider array of things that could happen. The only thing that could make them better is if they were available on point on demand anytime, anywhere, anyplace. The fact that if you were to pay your homeowners insurance faithfully from the time you start to pay your mortgage on your home till the day you die you will never pay more on your insurance policy than what your home is worth because Nationwide is awesome. They're the best at negotiating prices and knowing what the loss and Gain ratio is as far as how much you will stand to gain. As long as you have Nationwide you will be okay!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I really like Nationwide. I compared this company and other companies before making a decision to go with this company. Nationwide has a great reputation and they have met the needs that I have had. They are a well known company that provides excellent coverage. Their rates are excellent, and the customer service reps are awesome. Their commercial are good too. They are clever, and they let you know that they will always be there when they are needed. Customer service is excellent. There are lots of locations and their website is set up in a way that allows to obtain the information that I need. My family will be using them for a long time. Nationwide is one of the best insurance companies ad I think they are better than Progressive, Geico or State Farm.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Insurance?

Original review: May 6, 2019

Nationwide rejected my homeowner's insurance application because in July 2017, I claimed through my renter's insurance (through Allstate) a total of $1100 - a small and meagre amount to cover damages in the unit below. The water from the bathtub caused water leakage in the unit below. Allstate paid for the damages in the full amount. Since this valid claim is linked to my social security, Nationwide rejected me. Think how they will treat minor claims and big claims when some bad happens to you. Message to Nationwide: Don't be an insurance company if you cannot handle claims. Stop offering insurance to people right now. Stop collecting premiums from people you think are "safe" and will never make a claim.

Original review: April 21, 2019

We’ve had Nationwide home and auto for the 12 years we’ve been in our home. No auto claims. One home claim in 2011 when hot water tank flooded our hardwood floors and Nationwide paid to replace entire living, dining and kitchen floors and to pay our hotel stay for 17 nights, about $17,000. But when hurricane Florence hit we had downed large elms, entire roof shingles pitted and lifted, 40 ft privacy fence blown out, cement driveway lifted and broke to large pieces from root ball. Entire damage out of pocket over $26,100 with Nationwide paying $6049.

They refused to pay roof except for value of two bundles for roof repair (they said repairable but 3 roofing contractors and an independent appraiser said roof had to be replaced), $4900 for drive which cost $8300 to replace, $226 for fence which cost $1000, and $900 or so for tree removal. Local insurance rep good to deal with but had to deal with agent in Ohio about all claims. 6 months after repeated delays and procrastination with rain leaking onto ceiling in various spots I paid $15900 to replace roof. I’m dumping Nationwide as they sure are not on my side. BTW, we were paying $2400 annual home ins premium.

Original review: March 10, 2019

I lost many of my possessions in a storage unit, because Nationwide refused to pay the storage unit fees after they agreed to pay the fees! Unbelievable! Nationwide is a disgusting and deceitful company! My advice is to stay far away from Nationwide! For anyone considering Nationwide as their insurance provider, just look into Nationwide's bad faith, and how the company was hit with $18 million in punitive damages in 2014, and realize just how deceitful Nationwide is!

Original review: March 1, 2019

We lost our home in the Camp Fire. Nationwide is refusing to pay for our new home even though we have the correct coverages on our policy which I’ve verified with the CA Insurance Commissioner’s office and with the Nationwide Representative who was here in Chico in person. The email I received yesterday states they will only pay about $3k of the $80k they still owe us and they won’t pay that until AFTER we close escrow on our new home. Dealing with them has been about as traumatizing as the event itself. They also had an error on my RV policy that limits my coverage, 10k less than it should be and they’ve refused to make that right as well. I am filing complaints with the CA Insurance Commissioner’s office and I recommend you do the same in your state as they are the agency that can hold Nationwide accountable. And of course, please don’t purchase insurance from Nationwide.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

They gave a quote a full month before policy started. I made a decision based upon this quote. After policy started they doubled the premiums under the rationale that my property was undervalued even though they had valued it more than any other company to start with. I canceled and they turned it over to collections. Quotes are bait for suckers.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

When I switched to another insurance company I requested reimbursement due to the impounds were covered for one year. I received the reimbursement 2 months later. However I am not able to deposit the check due to my ex wife name is on the check. I have explained to different representatives from Nationwide this issue, to find out the Underwriters will not remove my ex wife’s name regardless of circumstance. They will not make any exceptions to their rules or policy. My question to the Underwriters what happens if the person in question cannot be located?

Before this incident occurred I requested several times to have my ex wife name removed from policy and for some reason my request was denied. Now I am required by my bank to deposit $677.00 for the shortage of funds in my impound account which is the check amount from Nationwide. I will never recommend this Insurance Company to anyone. Extremely Dissatisfied Previous Customer.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

Nationwide is NOT on your side. I have had Nationwide insurance since before 1996. I have all of my insurance through Nationwide, home, autos and motorhome. I had three minor claims with them in a short period. Someone tried to break in my stained glass front door while I was away in my motorhome. I filed a police report and insurance claim. $2034.00. A pipe leaked in my upstairs bathroom and caused minor damage in the floor below. I filed a claim. $1090.00. A family of raccoons decided to live in my attic. They needed to be evicted and the damage they caused repaired. I filed a claim. $5467.00.

Three since 1996. The total payout by Nationwide was $8591.00. My payout was $1500.00. Three $500.00 deductibles. I have appealed this with Nationwide and was told that because the claims were not weather related the policy is to cancel regardless of the amount of time I have been with and all the money I have paid for having all of my insurance with them. I have paid Nationwide thousands of dollars over the past three decades. Because of my three claims I have been refused renewal this month. I have tried to get insurance through 10 more reputable companies and have been denied because of being BLACKBALLED by Nationwide. I would not recommend Nationwide for your insurance. You are not considered valuable to them and once they reject you, you are rejected by all others.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2019

We had a plumbing leak in later October that resulted in several inches of standing water. The adjuster is ignoring the claim and issuing ridiculous demands such as original sales receipts for every single household item being claimed as a loss. This is unconscionable. After eleven weeks, the home is still uninhabitable, plumbing fixtures, flooring and wall materials are missing, and the adjuster won't approve repair quotes from Nationwide's own contractors.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I am on a budget so I have so much to spend it and Nationwide was within my means. I went with this company because they gave the best quote. The company offers Convenience. I can call and get someone on the line quickly. The agents makes sure you understand what you're purchase. I also like how they show compassion to their customers. I can also email them. However, I dislike that they increased price each year. I know it's a business, however it's getting kind of steep. I also dislike how when I renew there is always an extra fee on it. It's getting pricey, however this is the best yet. Overall I like the company.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

They are a great conversation with the company and they are always there for and seem to care about what's going on with you. I like that they will let you know what's going on with your policy and availability of other people. They also offer policy that will call in the night if something is wrong. They also are more affordable price than other companies.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Nationwide covers me and dog. We bundle our auto and home insurance together. The price seems affordable and I pay roll deduct the premium. They covered me when I got rear ended by a hit and run driver.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

I already had automobile policy with this company and had previously had renter's insurance so it was a natural progression to get homeowner's insurance. It is a comprehensive policy and I was able to bundle with other policies. I like that it has local offices and the other benefits for roadside assistance. But I would like it if an agent would contact me at least once a year instead of all contact being by mail. I also wish they gave a discount for long term, no claims customers.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Nationwide has great customer service. They care about the customer, their phone can be called anytime and the phone representative is always available. It's easy to use and on the web. Sometimes though, it seems that the bill is hard to understand. There should be more clarity and transparency should be a mission. Still, Nationwide is a solid company and their name is popular. It has been used for generations. It was what my family has always used and it is what I'll keep using.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

They been around for some time. My friends, my family and my coworkers have been using them for years and I've heard a lot of good stuff about them. I've been with them over many years and everything about them is fabulous and great. They're nice, easy to work with. They're helpful and friendly too. They're also cheap and I can pay easy. Super wonderful, all good and amazing.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

Nationwide has the best price I could find for what I'm looking for and also I bundle it with my car insurance. Before I sign up I checked the reviews online and all I asked some people around that I know. I want to see that my premium it will not go high if I file for a claim. I want to feel that I'm safe and I can do the best. What I dislike the most is when I cannot reach my agent or my agent is not very helpful. I want to feel that I can depend and my agent is there for me.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

Nationwide had the best deal at the time of renewal area. The company was quick to renew with no hassles... Covers what is needed to have on policy... it's a peace of mind to have. Always keep updated each year. The company makes the client informed when due and what should be added. But I wish it to be cheaper. Prices are high as usually the cost is hard to maintain for a average family. Also wishes always there were more companies to compare with cost but never enough time...

Original review: Dec. 9, 2018

I had Nationwide home/auto bundle insurance for 3 years, during which time I had multiple extremely negative experiences with this company. One time they screwed up some paperwork on their side, and cancelled our home insurance by mistake. To make it worse they informed our mortgage lender of this cancellation, which caused a lot of stress for me as they could have led to some serious issues with the lender. I had to spend a lot of time and energy to straighten things out for a mistake that Nationwide made.

Another time, when I started a home-based business, I called this company and asked them if they had any business insurance plans that I can bundle with home. They directed me to an affiliate of theirs for business insurance. A couple of months later, I received an email from them asking me to call them, without explaining in the email what the call was about. I called them but had to leave a message. A few weeks later, the same email again.

Finally, I got in touch with someone, who started claiming that they would cancel my home insurance because I had started a business!!! Note, they never explained during my first phone call that my insurance plan excluded the possibility of starting a home-based business. Instead, they made it sound like I was starting a business without letting them know. What a rude, disloyal, and unprofessional way to handle a repeat customer. And by the way, through all these, they kept increasing the insurance cost by a dollar or two every month, with no explanation! Stay away from this company.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I was recommended by my local agent. This company gave me the best price and was streamlined. I was told that they offer rewards for loyalty as well. I am very pleased. They are easy to do business with and have great plans and payment options. A lot of things can be done online. They also have knowledgeable agents. However, I wish their mobile application worked a little better. I also wish they had better options of bundling different policies. Other than that, Nationwide is a great company.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I would choose this homeowners insurance policy over other insurance policies because it's retro. Other insurance policies don't have the standards set straight than Nationwide insurance. I like this homeowners insurance policy. I like the comradery between the agents in the insurance.

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

The price is high and it goes up if you use it but you must have insurance and Nationwide was everything I wanted. They are well known and have a long history of faithfulness to their customers. Great coverage. The price and the features are fantastic and the people are great. The company has never let me down and I don't ever expect them to disappoint me. If they did I would find another company.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

The only reason that I like my insurance company is because of my agent. Otherwise the price is too high but my agent helped make it more affordable. She didn't let the company rip me off. My agent is the best. She walked me through my policy and told me everything that I needed and didn't need for my area. She was honest and straightforward about everything and gave me the best rates possible.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

When I first purchased my policy, I went with a local agent that was recommended by my in-laws. Nationwide has many options to choose from and the price was good then as well. I like that they offer a flood insurance rider. I think that's important. But prices are going up, so I am not sure if Nationwide is an economical policy. I am thinking about bundling coverage, but haven't been given an incentive. But it's nice that it's a local branch office. The people in the local office are friendly and helpful. Customer service from corporate is not the best.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2018

I already had an auto insurance policy with Nationwide. After comparing their coverage with similar coverage from other insurance companies, I found that Nationwide's coverage was as good or better and their prices were about the same or lower than other companies. Nationwide is a privately owned company so no stockholders to satisfy. They give discounts for multiple-policy coverage (home and auto). They give you the option of signing up with a local agent to service your policy or of signing up through their website so everything can be handled locally &/or through the website.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I have been insured by Nationwide for over 55 years and have always trusted them and their agents. My parents also trusted them. I like their exceptional agent, very pro-active, down to earth and willing to inform and provide any discounts I may be eligible for. However, after a house fire 25 years ago, adjusters should be better trained and more sympathetic to the homeowners problems and not try to "nickel and dime" them to death. Adjusters main concern seemed to be to limit your claim.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I like that Nationwide covers theft, water backup, personal injury, and other losses, and I can bundle my car and home on the same policy. They have reasonable prices and the payments are superb. Nationwide is nothing more than amazing.

Nationwide Insurance expert review by Matthew Brodsky

Nationwide was first founded in 1925 in Columbus, Ohio. Originally, it had 1,000 policyholders. Today, it’s one of the country’s largest insurance companies, and it offers several types of insurance, including homeowners insurance and auto insurance.

• Great discounts: Nationwide offers excellent discounts for homeowners, including up to 20 percent discount for insurance if customers bundle their homeowners and car insurance.

• Belongings replacement service: Nationwide offers the Brand New Belongings service, which replaces belongings that are lost or damaged when a home undergoes an accident or damage. For example, this program will replace items that are burned in fires, broken by falling trees or damaged by severe weather like tornadoes.

• Processing speed: Nationwide is known for processing customer claims fast, which means that customers who submit a homeowners insurance claim can expect their claim to be evaluated and their money given to the them quicker than most insurance companies.

• Company: Nationwide is a large company, so customers may feel that they do not get much individualized or personal customer service attention. Most consumers must deal with a central customer service center, which is likely not in the location a customer is calling from, although Nationwide has a network of agents around the country.

• Qualifications: Nationwide has stringent qualification standards that have to be met to approve people for policies, and people with financial troubles or weak credit may not qualify for Nationwide homeowners insurance.

• Best for: Traditional homeowners, condo owners, farm owners