Nationwide - Homeowners

Nationwide Homeowners Insurance
Compare Quotes
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.67/5

Nationwide Insurance provides home and auto insurance for clients across the country.

Nationwide - Homeowners Compare Quotes

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

See if you can lower your rate today

Compare insurance providers on Everquote

Get started

Nationwide Homeowners Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Homeowners Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Insurance?

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

Have been looking around for a replacement policy and still in the decision mode. Many of the above factors are better at the competition. Have been with this company for many, many years, but their pricing, especially, is become off the charts.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2020

Recently my wife lost a diamond stone in her wedding ring. Our policy covers jewelry and we did submit an appraisal prior to coverage. Ring was valued at $12,200. I submitted the claim and within days it was approved for the appraised value. A few days later I received the check. I was expecting my premium to increase due to the claim however to my surprise my premium went down a few dollars.

Get buying tips about Homeowners Insurance delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
    Original review: March 12, 2020

Nationwide will have your back on mayhem. They covered hail and wind damage on my roof in a very proficient and incredible way. Got the check immediately. Really Trustworthy. They sent a ladder company to assess damages and coordinated with my contractor and their adjuster.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

I had been with Geico for decades and my insurance kept creeping up a little bit every year so last year I decided to shop for a new rate and Nationwide saved me about 500.00 for the same coverage, GREAT!! I had to change my auto insurance to them in order to get the rate which was higher but ultimately I was saving a net of about 200.00. Not going to retire early on it but a buck is a buck, or so I thought! Fast forward a year, we have had no claims as usual and my auto gets auto renewed but my homeowners is in limbo. I didn't get a call or anything and here I am on September 16 and my policy expires on September 24th. Only reason I knew something was up was because they sent me notification that my automatic monthly payment was coming out on the 24th in the amount of 300.00 and its normal about 490.00. I looked online thinking maybe it was a COVID credit like all the other companies are doing but it wasn't!

I went online and my homeowners didn't even show up so I called. I spoke with a gal that said that they needed a letter from our alarm company that stated we had fire monitoring. I told her that we did not have fire monitoring and never have. She then simply explained that my policy would not be renewed! REALLY!!! I told her that I was not in a fire area that I live in the Bay area. She very nicely explained the even fires happen in the Bay Area!! Really, I had no idea!!! I then asked if all California homes had to have fire monitoring because I have never heard of that before, No answer. So then I called Geico back who I had my insurance with a year ago and got insurance again. Total waste of my time and I will never do insurance with them again.... It doesn't always pay to save a few bucks!!

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

We pay, what I believe is a very high premium compared to other insurers, and yet after a 72 hour blackout recently our insurance co. said "Sorry" when it came to covering about $350 worth of spoiled food in our refrigerator/freezer saying that even if we had coverage we would have to make an itemized list as we removed it from our appliance, photograph each item and then price like items in the grocery store and finally, there would have been a $500 deductible! On the other hand, my Granddaughter's homeowners said NO PROBLEM, NO DEDUCTIBLE, just go get your groceries and bring us the bill - no itemized list and no photographs of the damaged foods. I think it's time to shop for cheaper and BETTER coverage elsewhere AND I am really disappointed!

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

We got quotes from Most Major Insurance Carriers for our Townhouse purchase; and though certainly NOT the Cheapest, we went with Nationwide cuz they've been around a while, and they're NOT tied to any Shareholders...

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

Price for policies are too expensive for amount of coverage you get. You can adjust your coverage but when you do you are not getting what you need for what you are paying. I recommend you do your own research with different companies and use the same coverage quotes and see which company offers you the best price.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2020

I've had Nationwide for about 5 years now. I was forced to file a weather related claim after the derecho on August 10th. My siding ripped at all corners of the house and somehow my kitchen floor fell about half inch. They told me that the floor happened because of several years of deterioration (my home was built brand new in 2008). They refused to repair the siding on the left side of the house and said they would repair the right side and gutters but it's less than my deductible! I got an estimate for $4700 for repairs to the right side and gutters and my deductible is is $2500. That $2200 would of helped me a great deal. Something doesn't add up with this company. Time to find different insurance!

Original review: April 25, 2020

They have to be forced to pay and end up paying restoration company but not my out of pocket expenses or ruined furniture but do send out paperwork increasing monthly payment. They lie and say the check is in the mail...Still waiting... Been since January and it’s the end of April. I hate this company and hope no one ever lets them screw them over.

Original review: March 31, 2020

I live in East Nashville that was hit badly by the tornado on 3/3/20 and damaged my wooden fence (about 255 ft), part of it fell down and other damages in each side of the fence, I filed a claim in the same date, a claim specialist Mr. ** came on 3/9/20 gave me estimate for 144 ft replacement damaged fence $3,539.88 & 16 feet gate $604.70 & hauling $119.33, so the total amount $4,263.91 & issued me a check for $3,263.91 after $1,000 deductible. I called Lowe's to hire a professional licensed fence contractor to get the job done but they said the entire fence got damaged and need replacement, also the hauling fee $119.33 is too low, then gave me estimate for $7,995.

I emailed Lowe's estimate to Mr. ** and I mentioned I haven’t cashed the check so he can void it and send me another check with enough money after my $1,000 deductible but he ignored to reply for 5 days till I text him, then he replied and said, the Lowe’s contractor is incorrect and not the entire fence was damaged, the hauling fee $119.33 is reasonable, and "estimates from Lowe’s, Home Depot, and the like are not considered for coverage as they are highly inflated by the price charged by the retailer for their role in the process. I would highly recommend that you contact a fencing contractor specifically in order to receive a more reasonable bid. At this time the estimate is not able to be revised based on the information you have provided. Therefore, voiding and reissuing a check will not be necessary."

So, I contacted another 3 professional licensed companies and gave me estimates for replacing the entire damaged fence for $6,295.75 & $6,102 & $6,659 with the following notice: 1) All estimates include about $800 - $1,595.75 Hauling. 2) All estimates don't include compressor fee to remove rocks if required. The average of the 3 estimates $6,352.25 which is much higher than the insurance estimate of $4,263.91 so I will pay out of my pocket other than my $1,000 deductible by about $2,088.34 plus compressor fee if required.

I emailed Mr. ** the 3 estimates and I said my broken fence still down on ground since 3/3/20 & my neighbor's dog poops in my yard so it's getting nasty there & it can cause problems with my neighbor too. Also, other than I did maintenance to my fence since I bought my home on 2/2019, I cut 3 big old trees last Nov 2019, out of my pocket expense, these old trees could damage the home structure & and the fence too like what happened at my area in East Nashville from tornado, so it would cost Nationwide thousands which much more than just replacing the entire damaged fence.

I got auto reply he is off for a week and contact Ms. Casey **, I did and she called me and said, "Your policy provides coverage for direct physical damage like a roof from wind damaged. The policy covers replacement the damaged section only regardless matching the shingles materials and color but I agree the hauling fee is low, I am just emergency contact person & you can wait till Mr. ** comes back."

I requested a copy of my policy from my agent and I emailed it to her to highlight what she was talking about, but she replied with some paragraphs that was not from what I emailed her and said not the entire fence was damaged. I replied back and said 4 professional licensed fence company gave an estimate to replace the entire damaged fence and their estimates didn't have an option for partial replacement, also they refused to install new materials with damaged materials and posts to have weak and ugly looking fence so they gave me their contact info to let Nationwide contact them for any questions, but she refused to contact them and she said “That particular task can wait until his return because it does not affect the claim outcome or result in any additional payment owed. Mr. ** manager is my manager also, and he is already aware of the situation and would reiterate the same”.

Nationwide Insurance author review by Matthew Brodsky

This company offers multiple types of insurance and provides online bill pay and claim filing. Customers can file claims, record damage and manage their policies from its mobile app. AM Best has given the company an A+ rating for financial strength.

• Cost: The average annual premium with Nationwide is around $2,000. Premiums for cheaper homes trend toward $1,500, while more expensive homes see premiums closer to $3,000.

• Plans and coverage: Nationwide’s basic policy covers replacement costs for dwellings, personal property, loss of use, inflation protection, ordinances and loss assessment. Its Protection Boost endorsement offers extended coverage for personal property, debris removal and valuables.

• Discounts: Nationwide offers discounts for new homes, homes in gated communities, no claims, policy bundles, protective devices, new roofs and hail-resistant roofs.

• Availability: Nationwide homeowners insurance is not available in Alaska, Florida, Hawaii, Louisiana, Massachusetts, New Jersey or New Mexico. It is available in all other states and Washington, D. C.

by Matthew Brodsky Insurance Contributing Editor