Nationwide - Homeowners
1.79/5
  • 1 star
Based on 144 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Nationwide - Homeowners

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 31, 2017

190 Nationwide - Homeowners Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 6, 2016

Nationwide Insurance/Duffy Plumbing and Heating, Brian and Erika Duffy, Honesdale PA 18431. Duffy Plumbing and Heating was recommended by our General Contractor on a project known as the Anchor Building Project, the revitalization of Downtown Honesdale by the development of a Data Center to bring Business Class Broadband to Wayne County PA. He was first contracted to install the plumbing system in the building. He put the system in but did not put the clean out traps in properly. He then demanded full payment for unfinished job. We had to get another plumber to finish the job.

Duffy Plumbing and Heating was then to install 9 heat pump units in the building including all duct work. We agreed on $600 dollars per day for the 3 people that worked on the plumbing. He had 7 on the 9 units installed in 5 weeks but then realized he was working too fast. He then had one guy on the job. I told Brian Duffy several times that I was not going to pay him to have one guy spend half his day climbing a ladder to get materials into roof. The company, Smith & Morris Holdings, LLC. had a running total of the people and hours on the job. Duffy Plumbing Heating then started to present invoices for $600 per day regardless of the number of people on site. I told Brian Duffy that I would not pay him for the invoices as written and only for the hours ($75.00 per) per person that was on site doing work. He dismissed my demand and I fired the company.

We learned after Duffy Plumbing and Heating was fired that 6 of the 9 units were hooked up incorrectly. This was very dangerous as the 220v power was also hooked up wrong. (The power was hooked up according to the engineering plans but the units themselves were not in the right place.) We have to have the plans changed; the electric changed and rewire the thermostats as moving the units were not an option. Duffy Plumbing and Heating took us to court. The Judge was a fellow plumber of Duffy Plumbing and Heating. Does that tell you how it went down? After we appealed the decision, Erika Duffy decided to write Honesdale about this. Honesdale was part of the State of Pennsylvania DCED grant program to put Broadband into Wayne County. As part of that we were also going to put in green wind power to offset the power consumed by the project.

While I do believe that Brian Duffy lied to his wife (benefit of the doubt) about what really happened, it was a clear attempt to destroy the project and the millions of dollars invested by my investors and partners. In August they then did a full front page story in the local newspaper. Once again it was full of lies. Finally, we just paid him off to get rid of him and filed suit for Slander and Libel. His actions triggered off a catastrophic failure of the project with the Borough of Honesdale that ended up with the Pennsylvania Inspector General investigating what happened. Millions of investment dollars were lost including taxpayer dollars. As it turns out Duffy Plumbing and Heating has insurance that would cover what they did with Nationwide Insurance.

This catastrophic failure would eventually force me and my partner to declare bankruptcy. It could have been avoided but Nationwide refused to settle even when the amount was under $100,000.00. Now the damages have exceeded $7 million dollars including real estate (business and home), lost contracts and much more. All Nationwide has tried to do is delay this for three years and at one point they got a court order to do depositions and never showed up or rescheduled. That attorney's name was John ** of Snyder and Associates in Plains PA.

The matter has destroyed the life of my 5 children that my wife and I could not even pay for the wedding of our daughter. To Nationwide and their attorney thought it was all a big joke that we told them all off of this - he just laughed. He told me that I lost sight in my left eye was not their problem as I could not afford the deductible. When my partner and I started this we only wanted to create jobs and a good life for people. I had my house paid off and money in the bank and a steady income. I am 57 now and I have nothing and no prospect to any job other than a greeter at Wal-Mart.

The business practices and moral and ethics of Nationwide Insurance and Duffy Plumbing and Heating are what are wrong with America in a corporate example. They are in my opinion dishonest and dangerous to those who they service. If you have Nationwide Insurance I have started the hashtag #BoycottNationwide on Twitter. Use it, tell your story. It is time that only moral and ethical companies in America still do business.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2016

I've been a loyal customer for many years and have almost everything under Nationwide. I've been faithfully paying my premiums and have never had a claim. In November of 2015, I had water in our finished basement due to a leaking refrigerator hose. The claims process is horrific. They first tried to bully me into thinking the damage came from ground water. The inspector they used was lazy, the remediation company they used was lazy and all Nationwide cares about is themselves and how much money they save. If you have a choice, change insurance companies asap. It was the worst customer service experience I've ever had.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2016

Do not get insurance from Nationwide!! I recently had my roof damaged from hail, they gave me so little money I feel like I have to get a fly by the night roofing company that will not be there tomorrow... I had hail damage 7 years ago and was insured from AAA. They were great! They got my roof and a/c fixed with no headache at all... Nationwide has been the exact opposite!!!

Original review: Jan. 12, 2016

I have been a loyal Nationwide customer for over 20 years both home and auto, premiums paid every month as required. Never really had any problems with them until March 2013, I had a house fire and my home was a total loss, the first realization that there was going to be a problem was the adjuster said "Why are you insured for such a low amount?" I told him I answered a bunch of questions the agent asked and even questioned the amount but he (the agent) stated "Don't worry you have replacement coverage," well the reality is, replacement coverage is basically a small portion of the policy limit 20% to cover what they call replacement coverage, the real problem is when an adjuster lowers the value of a home by manipulating the square footage just to obtain a lower rate. When there is a loss it creates a huge problem.

In my case my home was insured for 230k and should have been insured for 390k, Nationwide paid the 230k plus 20% and told me to "PH" off basically. When I rebuilt the home Nationwide reappraised it, now just to be clear, the house was built on the original foundation of the burnt home, same square footage, yes I moved some rooms around but not major add on's or changes. Nationwide now states the home is valued at $690k (yes triple), I have gone round and round with them but they refuse to make any adjustments, they claim that is what the rebuild cost would be (even though I just rebuilt the home for around half.

Fast forward to August 2015, I was finally able to get another company to write a policy for me, so I call Nationwide and request to cancel, I was told by law I have to provide proof of other coverage before they could cancel it, I requested to know what "law" was being referred to, the rep stated that mortgage companies require homeowners insurance, I asked is this the law she was referring to and she said she wasn't sure, I told her IF I had a mortgage and that lender required insurance that would be between me and that company not Nationwide, but being I did not have a mortgage I could do whatever I wanted, she said she would discuss it with her supervisor and call me back, never got that call.

In September of 15 I sent in an email and advised them to cancel the policy, I got an almost immediate response stating that I would have to send in a signed form letter to cancel, bottom line Nationwide never cancelled the policy until the monies I had paid ran out. In the interim I had a toilet overflow and ruin some hardwoods, I honestly thought I had cancelled the policy and just chalked it up to bad timing that is until I received a collection notice stating the policy was in effect until 10/2/15. I filed the claim and the first question was "Why did you wait so long?" "Because you idiots didn't cancel the as I had requested and now you're going to have to pay." Currently the adjuster is avoiding me and telling me she has to do further investigation, she said it happened in September so why be in a hurry now.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2015

Had damaged electrical service after a tree came down in a storm... My claim was promptly and fully compensated by Nationwide. I have been covered by this company for 40+ years... For both auto and home and have declined offers from competitors. The local Nationwide office in my county has always been quite helpful with numerous non-claim issues.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Insurance?

Original review: Dec. 1, 2015

My boyfriend had a fire in his garage. He contacted the insurance company while the fire fighters were here on July 1st. His garage still is not finished. As of 5 months later the garage still has the smell of the fire. A cleaning company called Proclean came in and cleaned the whole house since smoke went through the house as well. The house did not have water for a month and 4 days, but the cleaning company still came in and clean with no water in house. They brought water bottles to clean. The cleaning was not done very good. His house is about 3,000 sq ft and they spent 3 days cleaning from 10am - 3pm. Instead of using companies in our area they used companies that had to drive 2 and half hours away to come here.

He has been with Nationwide for over 25 years and they are the slowest company to use if you think you're going to get paid for anything. Guess what? It took them 2 months to send the new insurance bill stating, “Your homeowner’s insurance has went up due to the fire.” This insurance company does not give much information to their clients on what they should do since they have never had a claim before they don't want you to know much. He has had to pay a guy to cut the grass every week because the insurance said they will not give money for us to buy a new lawnmower yet and was informed since our lawnmower was a commercial one that cost of 7,800 we would be lucky if we even get 2,000 for something that is 2 years old.

All I can say is be careful and always hire a lawyer to help. He has learned from experience. If there is ever a next time a lawyer will be involved. As of today still waiting to be paid. The insurance company loves to state, “We are short handed on help and due to the holidays people have to take vacation.” Every time we call we are told, “The claim is sitting on my boss’ desk, waiting for it be approved.” Not happy!!!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2015

I would recommend this family of agents to any and all peoples. We have been with them for 35-40 years and knew the parents who started the agency. We have found them all to be honest, reliable and truthful. We bundled our house and cars together with them. We've only had very few claims over the years and they have been handled quickly.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2015

This company is one of the best out there. Very affordable and they really come through for you. They called me to make sure I was alright and if they could do anything for me. Told me to call if I just wanted to talk. What company does that in this age and time?

Original review: Nov. 20, 2015

It's a good homeowner insurance, I highly recommend them. They cover almost everything. They answer any questions you have. I pay a reasonable amount every three months. The only problem I have with homeowner insurance is they recently went up. I will be addressing this issue with them. Other than that, everything is ok.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2015

Nationwide insurance company has a good reputation of providing good feedback to me as a customer of what I want in my home coverage. Every year I see the information. If I have any questions they provide the answers pretty fast not having me wonder if they know what they talking about.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2015

Fire, very minor and was only offered $35 for our sofa which was damaged beyond repair.. Wish the agent had explained replacement costs to me further vs the cost of a new couch. I did not want to rip them off but a $35 one? I guess I should throw out a sofa every couple of years regardless of its condition and usability.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2015

I have been a customer with Nationwide for twenty years. I've only used it twice. When my neighbor's tree fell on my house, their insurance handled it. After months of have a hole in my roof and not being happy, I made a call to my agent. He was at my home the next morning. Went back on the roof and found damage they had not included. After his inspection, a check was written to me and a new contractor number.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2015

I have homeowners and auto insurance with Nationwide for which I receive a nice discount. It has been a great experience with Nationwide and would never go with another insurance company. Any claims I have made with them it was taken care of very quick and very fair. I have an agent who only works for Nationwide and does it all with one phone call. Any changes I want to make or questions I have it's down with no problems. I pay my premium on their website which is very easy to do and of course I can call my agent to fix a problem I have on the Web. They have been one great company to deal with!!!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2015

We have had a great experience. Claims have been handled in a timely and hassle free manner. No complaints here! Our experience with Nationwide has been easy and positive. We are kept informed about our policy and everything else seems to take care of itself. When we did have claims they made the process as easy and painless as possible and got everything taken care of.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2015

Nationwide has been great to work with. Very knowledgeable and helpful when it came to setting up the policy. I was unsure of how much coverage I should have and we sat down and went over all aspect of home ownership and what coverage and amount was best for us. They are also very friendly and courteous and respectful. I never once felt like I was dumb or ignorant to insurance, they helped me feel comfortable all the way. I would recommend Nationwide to anyone, but be specific about your needs and don't be afraid to ask questions, for they have the answers.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2015

I like dealing with Nationwide because they put the customer first. Whenever I call them about a claim they always resolve the problem that I am dealing with. No matter what I have an issue with, Nationwide seems like they have all the answers. This company is one of the best brands for any type of insurance. They say what they mean and give you an accurate solution to your problem.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2015

So far we haven't had any negative issues with our home insurance company. They're always quick to answer questions and explain things very carefully. Even when we were unsure about the level of coverage we actually had they were wonderful with answering questions and talking about any other policies that might be a better fit.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2015

I pay a higher premium than others I have asked. I bug my agent about it, to no avail. Any homeowner claim I have ever made with them was long ago and I remember little. I don't remember the outcome but it hasn't left a bad taste in my mouth. My auto is bundled with it and we have made several auto claims. I am so satisfied with them about their treatment of us there that I have nothing but praise for the company and would never leave [almost].

Original review: Nov. 5, 2015

I never had to use it and it is very expensive. Every year the premium continues to rise. Plus the things that aren't included is ridiculous with no replacement cost.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2015

Who better to insure our first house than the company with whom we've insured our vehicle and various rentals over the years? When we did have to file a major claim (stolen car), Nationwide was right there. A few informational phone calls and we had their check in our hands in less than two weeks... In an amount much higher than we expected! As a military family, we move A LOT. It's good to know that "Nationwide is on our side" every step of the way. I would recommend Nationwide WITHOUT RESERVATION to anyone looking to buy homeowners insurance, or any other type of insurance that Nationwide provides.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2015

It's good insurance. Just wish they had more flexible policies instead of only selling replacement cost insurance. Their representatives are always friendly and helpful and answer my questions. If I could afford it I would get all my insurance at nationwide, I think they are the best. I also love that I can check my bill and many other helpful things on their website. It's easy to use and convenient.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2015

I feel lucky I had never had to use it, it covers all the elements of living here South East Houston TX. Fire, Water and many many more at a very affordable price with the Bundle I have.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2015

Nationwide is a convenient insurance company. They have many locations and are internet friendly. The people who I have been in contact with through the company have always been courteous and helpful. The prices seem fair.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2015

I have been with Nationwide for home and auto insurance for over 25 years. I have only had to file one claim on my homeowners. I had a new roof put on after a tornado hit close to my house. They are great.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2015

I have been a customer for over 25 years and I'm very satisfied. My claims have always been handled quickly and to my satisfaction. I would highly recommend this company to anyone who is looking for insurance.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2015

My Nationwide insurance is reasonably priced and covers all I need it to cover. I have never made a claim so I can't make a judgement concerning their claim processing ability.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2015

They didn't give me enough money to fix an accident. A pipe broke in my kitchen and flooded the house and below the house. It was expensive getting a plumber. It took about a week after I contacted the insurance company to call me and make an appointment to look at it. They gave me an estimate to fix the floor and cabinets but it was not nearly enough.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2015

I had to have new roof put on my house due to storm damage. They were great. They sent an adjuster out quickly and he explained every step of the process.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2015

I have been very lucky given weather conditions, but my family has always had Nationwide and it's almost a family thing! Have several different policies to include home owners, automobile, and my father has life insurance and also has them for all his needs. Had to use Nationwide about ten years ago, regarding a claim, was easily and quickly taken care of.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2015

I had a claim about 2 yrs ago, first ever. They promptly sent an adjuster to my home on A Sunday! He took charge, had a company there within an hour who started repairs immediately. When we had trouble with a contractor they handled everything.

Nationwide - Homeowners Company Information

Nationwide Insurance
www.nationwide.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use