3.48/5

Nationwide - Homeowners

Nationwide Insurance provides home and auto insurance for clients across the country. Nationwide is not an InsuraMatch verified carrier. Contact InsuraMatch to receive multiple quotes from insurance companies to find the right carrier for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

256 Nationwide - Homeowners Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Nationwide is easy to do business with and has good rates. Their website is easy to use and makes sense. They are also friendly on the phone, courteous and knowledgeable. I've tried other insurance companies but came back to them. My dad used them for all the years he was alive. He loved them and trusted them to do the right thing. I trust them too.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I chose Nationwide through recommendations from other people insured with this company like friends, family and other acquaintances. Plus their reputation over the many years they have been in business. Nationwide always has great customer service and when you have a claim they handle on a very puthional schedule. You always get a check rapidly. But I would like to have a local office instead of handling 100 percent of everything over the phone. Their service is exceptional over the phone, but sometimes it's nice to meet with someone face to face.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

They offer the best coverage and these policies are very fair. I like that they cover a lot more than normal when it comes to damages. I lost a lot things in this recent hurricane and all of it was covered under my insurance. With other companies, nothing else would have been covered. Also, the overall price is one of the best things about Nationwide.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I like Nationwide because it's provide good opportunity for the investor. It's provide a good communication with insurance account holder and the company. I chose Nationwide for my home future safety.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I really like Nationwide. I compared this company and other companies before making a decision to go with this company. Nationwide has a great reputation and they have met the needs that I have had. They are a well known company that provides excellent coverage. Their rates are excellent, and the customer service reps are awesome. Their commercial are good too. They are clever, and they let you know that they will always be there when they are needed. Customer service is excellent. There are lots of locations and their website is set up in a way that allows to obtain the information that I need. My family will be using them for a long time. Nationwide is one of the best insurance companies ad I think they are better than Progressive, Geico or State Farm.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Insurance?

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

I like Nationwide because you can bundle services to get a better rate. They allowed me to bundle my home insurance and auto insurance. They also have great customer service and cares about their customers. I have used other insurance companies previously and I think Nationwide is better than the others.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

Nationwide Home Insurance is a great service and is vital for homeowners. I like how comprehensive their coverage is plus you are able to customize the services within the plan. Specifically, I really enjoy how they cover incidents of mold, water damage, fire damage, tree damage, earthquake damage, etcetera. It is really helpful to owners that these things are covered so they are assured that their huge home investment is protected. However, I wish they would improve the cost of the plans as they are a bit expensive, and a quicker claims process too.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

I feel Nationwide is a leader in their industry and I'm confident in my choice. I bundled my homeowners insurance with my auto insurance which gave me a discount. I like my awesome local agent. My agent is easy to get a hold of and answers all my questions in a timely manner. It is easy to access information whether by phone or online so I have help whenever I need it. But as a long time customer with no claims I should get more benefits, I wish items were easier to figure out what I need and do not need.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

Price matters. I had an agent look up prices for various companies and he gave me quotes. Nationwide was the cheapest rate. We go with the same amount of coverage but cheaper rates than my last company. I like having all of my insurance in one place as having different companies makes no sense and is a waste of time.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I've had Nationwide for probably over 30 years. They've been very easy to talk to, easy to get a hold of what I need them and explain things very well. They are close by and whenever I need to speak to someone they are very friendly. The only thing that I don't like about Nationwide is their rates are quite a bit higher than a lot of other companies that I've been checking with. Despite that, I chose Nationwide because my parents also had Nationwide and I just felt they were good company and were Reliable and always there when I need them.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I like Nationwide Insurance and I have it for 20+ years. I searched other insurance companies and all of them were much more expensive then Nationwide. Nationwide has better coverage plans that are not that expensive. We had a claim in our new house and a adjuster was at our house the next morning. Our door window was fixed within five days. Nationwide Insurance is great for us and we love it a lot. But I wish they had more adjusters in our area that work at night because some bratty kids threw a rock on our back sliding door and shattered the glass.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

Nationwide is great. It was recommended to me by a friend who had recently bought insurance through them. I checked many different companies in my area and they were the best choice. It's cheaper and I love the price. At my old company I paid $80 for the basics but with Nationwide I get more for less. Everything in my house is covered by Nationwide and I feel great knowing I'd be taken care of it something happened to my house.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2018

Nationwide is very good homeowners policy and the best kind of insurance company. They have good customer service, good fair prices, good selection and have different type of options. Nationwide has good rating from me.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

Best insurance company. I like Nationwide's reliability after a hurricane in Southwest Florida. Nationwide is on your side and they were there for me when I needed them and none of my neighbors had a company come out to them. Less premium and a lower deductible would be nice, however.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I like the coverage for many different aspects of homeownership including pets, valuables, structural, weather related and accident related. I have had only 1 claim and it was easy to handle with the insurance agent and not very stressful. I also like the claims process and the customer service. My agent is also local. I also get discounted rates on my auto insurance policy by using the same company for homeowners insurance. But Nationwide could have lower premiums and many choices of deductibles and coverage for all types of water damage regardless of the cause and not have so many exclusions and limitations so you really feel protected in all scenarios.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

I shop for insurance and Nationwide gave me even more coverage than the company I had for less money. The agent I spoke to was very informative and helped me also combine things in order to save money. I told him of the high costs of the other insurer I had and he assured me that they could beat that price and they did just that. I was very happy with the final result. I just wish that the companies would all have to make it plain to see how much they charge for each service they provide so we could easily compare who is ripping the people off.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I have always used Nationwide because my family and my husband's family all use them and it is just a tradition. Also it is easier than starting over with a new place. They have mostly served all my needs for 43 years. However, I wish I could choose a cheaper coverage plan, I don't like the generic plans they use. I would like to customize my own plan just including property I own. Other than that, pretty well satisfied. I like that I have a real agent that I can go to for questions and know that she will be upfront about cost and other questions I might have.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

I have Nationwide now for over 20 years, they have always come through when I needed them. Other policies with others don't measure up to what I get from Nationwide. Has the coverage with my flood home insurance for what they charge. Just went through a hurricane and it was so easy making a claim cause my damage and flood claims, I got it fast and very helpful. But they can improve on not waiting for someone to come down to look at the property, my pictures should of enough to see the damage. My whole state was under water.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

Nationwide covered just about everything we need for the region that we live in. They are always there no matter what time of day or night when you need to talk to them about your policy or a possible claim. I liked the agent that I was dealing with and I love that he is local to me. However, as with most companies, they really do not want to pay when there is a claim. Even though I have been a customer for 10 years and have been paying all this time to make a small claim because of hail damage to my roof, they really did not want to pay for it.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

My husband and I were burned out of our home. We have four children three of them school age. They are rude. They don’t return phone calls and most importantly they treated us like criminals not victims. Our children are horrified and upset. No compassion no sympathy for our family WHO LOST everything. They put us in a hotel and forgot about us. NATIONWIDE IS NOT ON YOUR SIDE.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Jimmy Bibb is the worst insurance agent ever. He is non-responsive and not capable of writing a policy correctly. Worst of all, when it becomes clear he has made a major mistake, he not only doesn't fix the problem he denies he made the mistakes. Run fast from Jimmy ** and Nationwide Insurance.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

I have a bundle policy with Nationwide Insurance, Car Insurance and House Insurance. I had to file a claim on the house insurance for damage to my roof on September 9 2018. We had a hurricane come through our area and it rain for 3 days and dropped about 8 inches of rain during that time. I noticed two spots on my roof that were not there before the storm came through. These spots were dips in the roof and you could tell the paneling under the shingles had been damaged by water from the rain. I went up on the roof myself to inspect these areas and could tell that the wood had been damaged. I called Nationwide and filed a claim. Because of some many claims from the storm Nationwide had to send out a contracted adjustor to inspect the roof. When the adjustor showed up he did the usual things adjustor do. He took pictures of the roof and ceiling inside the house and took measurements.

The pictures of the roof did not show the damage that was there and you could not tell anything was really wrong with the roof itself. To make a long story short the insurance company would not pay for any damage to the roof. They said that because under their policy of wind damage that there must be loose or missing shingles on the roof for any damage to be considered and since according to them there weren't any then we would not be getting any money for the roof. You can clearly see the damage from the street on the roof itself. The contracted adjustor did a terrible job of taking pictures of the roof and you could not even see the damage the storm did in the pictures.

The story for the ceiling damage was not any better. I got an estimate of $720 damage to the ceilings. Well it just so happens I have a $1000 deductible on my homeowners' policy for the inside of the house so I got screwed on that end too. They won't pay out a dam dime for that either since they made sure to estimate the damage under a $1000 to keep from paying out any money. If you read this complaint please beware. Don't buy homeowners insurance from Nationwide that are a bunch of **. I have had insurance with them for 35 years and this is how they treat us. The claims agent tried to tell me that the damage to my roof was probably just wear on the roof from years of wear and tear which is **.

I just filed a complaint with the North Carolina Insurance Commission but it probably won't do any good. I was talking to the man who was the contracted inspector who looked at the roof. He told me personally that Nationwide Insurance was really cracking down on the claims that were being filed by the adjustors and finding any excuse possible to reject the claims to save the company money. If this does not sound like cheating the policy holder I don't know what does. By reading this I hope you don't get ** by these **.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I lost many of my possessions in a storage unit, because Nationwide refused to pay the storage unit fees after they agreed to pay the fees! Unbelievable! Nationwide is a disgusting and deceitful company! My advice is to stay far away from Nationwide! For anyone considering Nationwide as their insurance provider, just look into Nationwide's bad faith, and how the company was hit with $18 million in punitive damages in 2014, and realize just how deceitful Nationwide is!

Original review: July 2, 2018

My 87 year old mother who has Alzheimer's Disease has had Nationwide Insurance for over 50 years. We filed our first claim 3 weeks ago due to a leaking hot water heater that damaged the floor. It took over a week for anyone to contact us. Lots more details but the bottom line is they denied the claim saying it was our fault. They said We should have noticed the leak. We knew they wouldn't replace the hot water heater but why not the floor? Terrible customer service. Nationwide is not on your side!!!

Original review: June 28, 2018

We have been with Nationwide and never made a claim until 2 months ago. They had a company come out to put dryers out and rip up part of the carpet and padding and cut through the drywall so that I could pay for my plumber to fix the bursted pipe in basement. After that... nothing. I emailed the adjuster, I don't know how many times, to get a response "do you have any questions?". He never answers any of my questions. It's like he ignores everything. I know he is getting to my emails because he's responding to my emails. They are trying to pay the bare minimum.

The drywall is not up, the smell is horrid, they busted a cabinet trying to remove it from beneath the bar sink and stopped because it would bust the granite counter top. The adjuster says "I will pay for the throw rug and shop vac" like it's coming out of his pocket. This is insurance, not a 401k plan. I've already paid for all of this with my premiums. I had to get the adjuster's supervisor's email to let her know about my experience. After this is done, I'm taking my business elsewhere. The auto insurance through Nationwide is great. However, I will be switching due to my horrible experience with the homeowners insurance. "Nationwide is on your side"??? Really? Beware folks... no one wants to be put through this.

Original review: June 14, 2018

I have had Nationwide insurance for over 25 yrs. I had a fire in September 2017. I have been in a hotel for about 10 months for them to settle. They have tried to make feel like criminal. The adjuster is terrible. He doesn't call you back. He doesn't tell you anything. They are very rude people and I did everything they have asked me to do. They were throwing so much crap at me I had to get a lawyer. The agent told me a month ago that my claim would be paid off but they not sent my lawyer anything. This is a terrible company and they are always going up on my premium every year. I understand how it is legal to do a consumer like this. I am very disappointed in this company.

Original review: June 5, 2018

Fire destroyed home. Home took a year to rebuild with lots of lack of communication between Nationwide and Contractor, resulting with poor workmanship causing 3 return trips to correct problems and still existing. Personal contents was the worst in paying out. Had $200,000 personal contents ins, did my due diligence in providing proof of loss; depreciated items close to 40%, received half the amt claimed on contents. Nationwide puts up a facade that they are on your side, when in fact they are on their side. 3 rate increases in a 2 yr period because of fire.

Original review: June 2, 2018

The cost is outrageous, feel as though I am renting my own house. Tiffany cost for copper coverage. I have yet to use the "coverage" as the two issues I had were not covered!

Original review: May 31, 2018

I had accident that totaled my car and they helped immediately with the process of filing my claim and guiding me through the process. They were nice, very caring and professional. They made a not so nice incident, painless and they made feel at ease that everything would be taken care of.

Original review: May 30, 2018

Appears to be overpriced... premiums seem excessive for coverage bought. No real price incentives associated with insuring both home and auto. Using auto-pay feature is convenient but no reduction in premiums accrue.

Nationwide - Homeowners Company Information