2. Homeowners
Nationwide Homeowners Insurance

Nationwide - Homeowners

4.0/5 (295 ratings)
Compare Quotes on Quotewizard

Need to insure your new home, or looking to lower your rate?

Get pricing in minutes with Lemonade

Get started

About Nationwide - Homeowners

Nationwide provides home and auto insurance across the country. Its home insurance plans offer standard and extended coverage options and discount opportunities like savings for multipolicy bundles and home security systems. You can apply for a quote online through the Nationwide website.

Pros

• Multipolicy discounts
  • Online quotes
  • On Your Side Review assessments

Cons

• Limited online presence
  • Not available in all states

Bottom Line

Nationwide provides homeowners insurance with standard and extended coverage options. It offers some discounts and a few online tools; however, some find its online resources limited.

Need to insure your new home, or looking to lower your rate?

Get pricing in minutes with Lemonade

Get started

Nationwide Homeowners Insurance Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Homeowners Insurance?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Insurance?

Original review: April 29, 2021

I am very dissatisfied with Nationwide and would not recommend going with this company for anyone who owns a home. I put a claim in on 4/6. Today is 4/29 and they are still investigating. I now have to come out of pocket for something insurance should handle. This issue should have been rectified ASAP yet they do not see the importance of it. My entire downstairs has been damaged due to water overflow from the toilet. Floors had to be pulled, baseboards were damaged as well as cabinets.

Nationwide keeps going back and forth about the cabinets saying the water did not affect this, they sent a company out to inspect the cabinets on 4/23, of course the cabinets will be dry TWO WEEKS LATER.. But now there is a bigger issue, there’s mold that’s being formed under the cabinets where the water was. Nationwide does not care and is still dragging their feet when it comes to my issue. I’ve already contacted customer relations about this issue and honestly I’m not sure what else to do. I’m losing money and my mind.. So again, DO NOT GO WITH NATIONWIDE..

Original review: April 12, 2021

I have never seen such as a worthless adjuster. I had a claim opened since earlier march and this adjuster Jared ** is racist and lazy on top of that. At first he took forever just to show up at my house. After 4 days for filing a claim for basement flooded he finally showed up to look at the damages but it was already too late because I had already hired a mitigation company, the guy called him and left him a voicemail about the situation in the basement he never responded back. He did say he was gonna send me the settlement the same night he came over. He never did. He actually went on Vacation.

After 6 more days and after talking to his supervisor he ended sending the settlement in my email. It took him another 4 more days to mail me the check while he could have just directed deposited it. He held on to couples more thousands when I got a estimate from the carpet people, I had texted him to let him know that I needed some money he wanted me to send him the invoice. When sent him both invoices he took time off again starting today until Friday. He is really worthless and can not even do his job and on top of that he is racist because he would not do what he did to a ** person. I guess he thinks he is doing me a favor. I am done with this company. I cannot wait to get a quote from different insurance.

Original review: March 20, 2021

Today I spent a considerable time applying for home owner’s insurance online. I filled everything out and even received a policy number. I just received a call who said he had to confirm a few items. As he went on, it was obvious he wasn’t looking at my online application at all. He was going the same questions I had answered online. Then, he wanted to confirm the information. He didn’t have the outside structure correct, the utilities or even whether or not the residence had a fireplace or not. He then quoted a far lower quality of insurance policy than I had agreed to online .... for more money. Nationwide is NOT on your side. And now I have start all over again elsewhere.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

Nationwide has NEVER failed to be honest and fair in resolving any insurance issue. I have lost a garage and contents to fire. A few auto accidents (I use Nationwide for Home/Auto & Life), and each time I have had to contact nationwide, they have always "been on our side". I damn sure miss my agent, Norm **, he retired, however the service remained of the highest standard with our new agent. In my experience, if you pay your premiums, are honest and fair with nationwide, they will offer the same.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2020

I had a question about a claim and didnt know if we had to file under our insurance or not as it was not our fault and claim rep had no clue and sent me to a claim agent out of my state and he had no clue/never got back to me when promised. I had to contact him 2 times before I heard from him and he said, "Yea pay your deductible and we'll file a claim on the other insurance company and hope that you can get your deductible back." NO. That is not how that works.

Then asked me to pay deductible and send him pics and find my own company to fix the fence. "NO, do your job. I am not getting paid to look up all this info. What is he getting paid for." He had no comment and asked if I wanted to withdraw my claim and I said, "YES. I will not work with Nationwide ever again." Going to look for new insurance for my mom. Terrible service and had no idea what he was even talking about. I think the first day on the job for this gentleman as well as the Customer service agent.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

I have had Nationwide Homeowners insurance for over 30 years and have been very happy with them. I have had to make claims with them due to wind and fire losses. Nationwide was always very helpful from the beginning to the end of claims.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2020

Nationwide is surely on your side when it comes to all of your insurance needs. I remember when I was younger and all the different insurance companies my Mom and late Dad used. Then they finally settled in on Nationwide. After that I never heard any complaints concerning homeowners, let alone the other insurance they offer. The big thing was when I went to Columbus, Ohio and saw the transformation that Nationwide took from just insurance to the the point of the children's hospital was changed to and currently still is named, Nationwide Children's Hospital.....They bought most of the block and rebuilt the hospital for all to enjoy.

Nationwide has very good price margins so that anyone can afford them. They quickly investigate and resolve your claim. And if there is a need for a court appearance, you better believe they have the best counsel and the truth will definitely be revealed. I would recommend Nationwide Insurance to any and everyone for their homeowners insurance and basically all other insurance needs. I have been in the the know of this company for over 40 and my family and I have not ever had any disappointments, may it be the prices, packages, employees or payout, you will definitely be satisfied with Nationwide. I recommend Nationwide Insurance to everyone I know and meet!

Original review: Nov. 18, 2020

After paying my premium in full. 18 days later, sent a demand for more money and canceled my policy. This is the kind of company they are. I called customer service. Stated that I had changed something. I asked them what had changed. Nothing.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2020

Have done nothing to help us after fire. Just tried to lowball us on our house. Only gave us an offer of half of what our policy was for. We have a 150% replacement cost and only offered us about half of that.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2020

I had been with Geico for decades and my insurance kept creeping up a little bit every year so last year I decided to shop for a new rate and Nationwide saved me about 500.00 for the same coverage, GREAT!! I had to change my auto insurance to them in order to get the rate which was higher but ultimately I was saving a net of about 200.00. Not going to retire early on it but a buck is a buck, or so I thought! Fast forward a year, we have had no claims as usual and my auto gets auto renewed but my homeowners is in limbo. I didn't get a call or anything and here I am on September 16 and my policy expires on September 24th. Only reason I knew something was up was because they sent me notification that my automatic monthly payment was coming out on the 24th in the amount of 300.00 and its normal about 490.00. I looked online thinking maybe it was a COVID credit like all the other companies are doing but it wasn't!

I went online and my homeowners didn't even show up so I called. I spoke with a gal that said that they needed a letter from our alarm company that stated we had fire monitoring. I told her that we did not have fire monitoring and never have. She then simply explained that my policy would not be renewed! REALLY!!! I told her that I was not in a fire area that I live in the Bay area. She very nicely explained the even fires happen in the Bay Area!! Really, I had no idea!!! I then asked if all California homes had to have fire monitoring because I have never heard of that before, No answer. So then I called Geico back who I had my insurance with a year ago and got insurance again. Total waste of my time and I will never do insurance with them again.... It doesn't always pay to save a few bucks!!

Nationwide Homeowners Insurance Company Information